Cumming
(404)665-5722
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900

Dr. Daniel Shapiro was great at addressing my and my husband's concerns and explaining the details involved for the surgery I had in 2017 to remove my left fallopian tube and clean the adhesions & scar tissue from endometriosis. He also has a great sense of humor, which helped alleviate my anxiety....Dr. Shapiro was very detailed in his explanations and, in particular, explained the next steps needed. He also helped me feel calmer before undergoing surgery. He is a forthright and direct communicator, which I appreciated.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered...For the initial visit, my husband and I met with a nurse practitioner, who was very helpful in answering our questions and who showed compassion. After my surgery, I saw another nurse for the post-op visit, who was good, but not as great as the first nurse was.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Feel comfortable asking questions, even if you think they are minor or irrelevant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Dr. Shapiro removed my left fallopian tube, which was blocked, and cleaned the adhesions and scar tissue present as a result of stage 3 endometriosis. I did not know I had endometriosis, but I did find that I had a blocked fallopian tube after having done the HSG test. The surgery was necessary to remove the blocked fallopian tube and to diagnose if I had endometriosis.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA is a great clinic overall. They are easy to get ahold of and worked with us in scheduling a time to meet with the first available doctor and his team. I've had some issues with the billing office and my insurance company covering some items that should be covered; however, I hope this can be worked out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
The surgery I had was around $3-4k, though most was covered by the insurance company. It was less expensive because the clinic has an out-patient facility. The office consultations were $100-$300/visit. The bloodwork was about $300-$900 for my husband and me. Most of these costs were covered by my insurance company, though we did pay money for co-payments and co-insurance. Right now, I have been billed by Lab Corps to cover the lab work done with our initial visit, which should've been covered by the insurance company. I have been in touch with the billing office; however, it has not yet been resolved. RBA needs to resubmit the claim with the diagnosis code that will be covered by the insurance company. The billing office person said they've had several of these returned claims and are working on handling them. However, this has been the most frustrating part of the process so far.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Toledo is warm and caring. He always comments on things in my life we’ve talked about in the past, I’m sure he doesn’t remember, he probably makes notes and then reviews his notes before our appointments BUT he takes the time to do that. He’s caring and compassionate. When my beta came back negative he called me himself and talked to me while I cried. He’s simply the best.
It’s a big clinic [RBA-Sandy Springs]. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.... Dr. Toledo’s main nurse, Krista, is amazing. She never seemed bothered by my calls or questions and she was kind and compassionate. He had another nurse or assistant, I don’t remember her name, who is also ok, but not quite as warm as Krista. But she wasn’t mean and she got the job done, just not with that warm fuzzy feeling. His NP is also great!
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Like I said before, he’s warm and compassionate. He is friendly and funny. He takes the times to answer questions and doesn’t make me feel rushed. When the first plan didn’t work he made a new one. He’s open to things I suggest or ask about.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Write down your questions ahead of time. Write down his answers. Know that once treatment starts you won’t see him frequently but he does look at what’s happening and have his nurse call with the recommendations and changes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We did a cycle with follistim and ganirelix. I don’t remember dosages but do know that my dose never changed from the starting dose bc I responded well. They retrieved 19 eggs but only 8 were mature. Six fertilized with ICSI and one of the immature eggs did fertilize in the dish overnight. On day 3 the embryos looked good and they pushed me back to a day 5 transfer. On day 5 all the embryos had stalled in the day 4 stage so we transferred 2. Unfortunately, we didn’t get pregnant and the remaining 5 embryos died in the lab the day after transfer.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It’s a big clinic. Things run smoothly and I’ve never had issues with billing or scheduling but I know some people are turned off by that big box feel. It doesn’t bother me. The admin assistant at the front is amazing. So kind and warm. The lab and ultrasound techs are also kind and compassionate. I always leave feeling happy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
We had some insurance coverage so paid a deposit of about $3000 and about $2500 for meds. We also did two IUIs. We submitted one to insurance and maybe paid a couple hundred dollars out of pocket for that but I can’t remember exactly. The second one we paid for ourselves and it was probably about $2-3000
Sandy Springs

Dr. Straub is very matter of fact. He doesn’t give any emotional support. He did make a joke at the end of my second appt with him and it was kind of a shock because his personality is so straight forward.... He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot.... We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test
RBA is huge and it is a pretty well oiled machine. The most annoying part for us has been the billing office which took forever to return my calls or emails. Everyone else has been mostly kind. I had one rude person answer the phone but that’s all.... The nurses have been wonderful. They answer all of my questions and put up with my crazy. They tell me of their own personal experiences with IVF. They are quick to respond and always thorough. They made me feel like they cared.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is direct and to the point. He draws a diagram as he speaks and lays out all of the details for you. He answered all of my questions and was pretty patient with me because I had a lot. He is not emotionally supportive at all. I cried when he told us ivf was our best option and he pointed to the box of tissues on his desk and kept talking.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Go with this doctor if you want an efficient, smart doctor who will cater to your timeline. Get a therapist elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We had a lot of tests run on me including amh level, hormone levels, femvue test and maybe more tests. My husband had to do two semen analyses and ultimately they found male factor infertility was the issue. Due to his numbers ivf using ICSI and a frozen transfer were presented as our best option. We are about to start the egg retrieval process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy C)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
So far we have paid about 13,000 but expect to pay 26 or so for IVF with ICSI.
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He recommended transferring only one embryo for us as it is lower risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
The only issue I had was they wouldn’t call with results as promised. I called every day that the results were expected to come and they would tell me the results but I rarely had them reach out to me.
Sandy Springs

He [Dr. Shapiro] is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him.... I was given instructions to avoid alcohol and hot tubs before and after my IUIs. This prevents a rise in my body temperature potentially putting my inseminations at risk. He put me on an antibiotic to take Agee the IUIs to avoid any potential infection since the uterus is sterile and that barrier was crossed with the IUI process.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office.... There are no weaknesses at RBA. This clinic is wonderful. The office staff, nurses, and doctors simply are amazing. I feel welcome and cared for each time I step in and out of that office. This office has made our process if unexplained infertility much easier with their love and care!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He is filled with knowledge about his profession. I felt hopeful and at peace each time we left his office. He gives 100% of himself to his patients. He answers any and all questions thoroughly. I wouldn’t trust anyone more with the future of growing our family than I do him. He is a contributing factor to my mother in law’s IVF transfer which resulted in the live birth of my husband! He is a wonderful doctor!
Trust him wholeheartedly over any article or research you read, he knows exactly what he is doing.
He gives 100% of his time to his patients. Answers and elaborates on the treatment process. Answers all our questions thoroughly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! They return all calls within the same day, spend time goingover results with you in person and on the phone if I call with questions. They show professionalism, love, and compassion every time I step in the office. They want my treatment to be a success just as much as I do and they provide me 100% of their time always.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Unexplained infertility is not covered under insurance. We have spent an estimated $5,000 in bloodwork, ultrasounds, IUIs, and consults.
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
He is the professional when it comes to any and all fertility treatments. Having suffered two miscarriages naturally, now under his care I know he knows what is best for my body and the potential risks that come with multiple transfers. I trust him 100% in his approach to eSET.
Sandy Springs

She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] is very sweet and reassuring of the process...Dr. Brahma is very compassionate and knowledgeable. I feel like some extra communication could have been better for example I did not realized that eggs were graded and actually asked afterwards and then was explained... I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5.
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic [RBA] but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me...Approximately $14k for the retrieval process. Then an additional cost of a choice of $4k for one embryo transfer or $6500 for multiple transfers up to a live birth. The second round cost was unexpected and not communicated until it was necessary. I was not able to have My medications ordered until everything was paid upfront.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Be prepared to be very persistent and knowledgeable on the subject yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brahma is great! She is very sweet and reassuring of the process. The process in general in regards to the office and getting people to call you back and give you all the details you need was less than great. I felt like I had to be on top of all phone calls and calling and or emailing several times in order to get an answer.
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I was on the highest dosage of meds for the egg retrieval and wasn’t expected to result in many eggs as my AMH was a .42. My egg retrieval was the highest dosages of Lupron and Follistim. The Lupron gave me migraines. Although the 2nd transfer using it maybe my body adjusted as I didn’t have the headaches like the first two times. I responded very well during the egg retrieval. I produced 15 eggs. 10 mature. 7 eggs fertilized. 5 made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage. After genetically testing those 3 came back normal. My transfer protocol was 10cc Lupron then down to 5. With Estrogen and Progesterone. My first transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The embryo started to implant but ultimately did not. All my levels were perfect and everything should have worked but it didn’t. Additionally after the failed transfer I had a scratch biopsy and was put on antibiotics. My 2nd transfer is scheduled in 10 days. In addition to the medication I have been receiving accupuncture treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Crystal Alcantara)
I felt that they forget we don’t know the process of what is happening. There are some things you don’t know to ask or to do if you aren’t told or haven’t been through this before. Some vital information was not effectively communicated.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Again educate yourself on the process, ask a lot of questions,Take notes and be prepared to be the squeaky wheel. They should have someone on staff just to answer phones and answer questions. Calling and getting someone on the phone is an act of God. Most times I would have to call and email and call again and again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
At first I really wanted to do multiple embryos in the transfer. Due to having a myomectomy in 2014 Dr. Brahma recommended that I only do one at a time due to the potential my uterus may not be able to take getting so enlarged. She also explained that if the uterine environment were to be the cause of a transfer not taking I would most likely lose both embryos in a multiple transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I had my Pap smear sent to the clinic but it got lost and delayed my getting my medications and I did not find out till It was past time for me the have my medications. No one called to follow up with me.
Pavna Brahma
Sandy Springs

Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor.... the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options.... I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer.
Overall, I enjoyed coming into RBA. The front desk staff was always friendly and willing to help in any way they could. Strengths-Friendly, Good Communication, Great group of Doctors and Nurses Weaknesses-Paying for parking every time, Cost, Uncertainty... It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo is the most compassionate doctor we have came across. He was very good at explaining the process and showed he truly cared as he was talking to us about our options. My husband and I had a male factor infertility and he showed us that he cared and felt bad that I had to go through the medication and shots. He really showed his fatherly side when he truly felt bad that the woman had to go through everything regarding our situation. Dr. Toledo explained things thoroughly but it was hard to keep track of the language during the infertility process. He always explained when we asked so we were glad he took the time to talk to us in detail every time.
Don't be afraid to ask your questions. You are paying a lot of money, you have the right to clarify all of the details.
Dr. Toledo has the best bed side manners I have encountered with a doctor. He treated my husband and I like a true patient. He did pronounce my name wrong though.
First we went in for our IVF consult. We then had some factors checked out with the in house urologist. We then started the IVF Egg Retrieval Protocol. I took Lupron and Gonal F. I went in every few days for an ultra sound and some blood work. My estrogen level was out of this roof close to 6000. They found a fibroid or a Polyp so I had to do a frozen 5 day transfer as they said my uterine lining wasnt thick enough to hold the baby. I didnt have my egg retrieval until 14 days later. I also had a hysteroscopy done to remove the fibroid...which they discovered was only a polyp. That was good but also frustrating as I felt this could have been done closer to the time they discovered something was not right rather than closer to the transfer time. I had a different doctor conducting my egg retrieval, hysteroscopy and then finally had Dr. Toledo conduct my embryo transfer. I made sure it was Dr. Toledo. This is the frustrating part about an infertility clinic since there are lots of doctors on staff and their schedules and on call schedules are already set while your schedule is so unpredictable as every women is different with the protocol. Prior to the egg retrieval I had to take a baby aspirin, pre-natal vitamin, vaginal progestrone twice a day and estradiol patches every three days. All the medication put me on a very regimented schedule for 4 months! He did say if we were to do this again he would change the protocol and take out lupron and use another drug.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista and Lindsey)
It was hard to get a grip of contacting the nurse team when I had a question at the beginning. Calling them is impossible. I learned soon after emailing my two primary nurses was the best way to get any of my questions answered. They were very quick to answer when I emailed them. They were always on top of it. Krista and Lindsey were my go to nurses during the process. I enjoyed working with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
Initially our cost was $10,000 where insurance paid 80% of it. Then, my insurance changed and nothing was covered. We then paid $4300 out of pocket for the Hysteroscopy. We paid $5000 out of pocket for the Frozen Transfer and $270 out of pocket for my HCG, Progestrone, Estradiol levels 10 days after the transfer. We also paid $6000 out of pocket for medication. We started with Aetna PPO then had Kaiser HMO. Kaiser didn't cover anything.
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Dr. Toledo mentioned since I am little in stature and for the health of the mom to be and the baby it is safer to just have one embryo transfer. My husband and I agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I went in for what I thought was a Endometrial scratching. I asked the doctor who was about to complete this if he had taken a look at my latest ultra sound. He was unaware as the nurse team didnt double check and sent me in the doctors office to complete the scratch. I mentioned this to the doctor and he talked to the nurse team and decided he wanted to do an Hysterosalpingogram - HSG. I was fine with this as he double checked before conducting my scratch but at the same time I already completed one of these in July at my other clinic where the doctor saw the fibroid/polyp. RBA had these documents but didnt do much with it. Overall this was a frustrating appointment.

2015 - 2018, Unsuccessful
There are honestly no weaknesses with Dr. Best or the [RBA] Marietta office. Everyone there is spectacular. The main office in Sandy Springs is busy so you feel a bit more like a number, but everyone there was kind and easy to work with. Probably my only big complaint is the cost, but I think that is pretty standard when it comes to IVF.... Julie was my friend, psychologist, nurse and cheerleader through the process. I had zero understanding of this process and had never even given anyone an injection.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
My husband and I opted for assisted reproduction after an unexplained miscarriage and inability to get pregnant again. Dr. Best listened to our story with compassion and took copious notes on our issues. She ordered every test in her "arsenal" to try and help us figure out what was going on. She explained the results of the tests and then explained our options (IVF v IUI, etc). I can honestly say that I enjoyed every appointment with her and actually looked forward to seeing her (something I can't say about most doctor visits). She kept my hopes up and was there for me during the difficult moments as well. She is a model doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
To be completely open and honest with Dr. Best about your fears and expectations and concerns. I had concerns about having a trisomy baby due to my age and Dr. Best reviewed with me how we could handle such a situation if it arose. She also had referrals to other doctors I could speak with (MFM's). If money is an issue, let her know and she will try to work out a treatment plan within your budget.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best is one of the best doctors I've ever worked with. From the first moment we met with her, she was warm, she listened, addressed our issues and explained our options in a very clear and concise manner. She has called me on weekends and I even have her cell number (though I try not to use it!)
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I can't remember the exact protocol used, but the first egg retrieval produced a disappointing three eggs so we banked those and did another retrieval that resulted in 12 more eggs! Using ICSI, we then created 12 embryos which we froze until I was ready for a transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie was my friend, psychologist, nurse and cheerleader through the process. I had zero understanding of this process and had never even given anyone an injection. She taught me how to inject the meds and how to make it less painful. She gave me samples when I was running out of meds and she was just awesome to work with.
Describe your experience with RBA.
There are honestly no weaknesses with Dr. Best or the Marietta office. Everyone there is spectacular. The main office in Sandy Springs is busy so you feel a bit more like a number, but everyone there was kind and easy to work with. Probably my only big complaint is the cost, but I think that is pretty standard when it comes to IVF. It's not cheap!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
We spent about $40,000 for two egg retrievals, three embryo transfers and this includes medicine.
Describe Monica Best's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
This was something I agonized over quite a bit. Dr. Best was good at showing me the ASRM standard for number of embryos transferred due to age, but she listened to my concern about multiples and helped me reach an informed decision each time on how many embryos to transfer.
Marietta

I feel like Shapiro genuinely cares about getting you pregnant, and not by doing it the most expensive way possible. Unlike our old RE, he didn’t think we needed IVF based solely one one low number (2% morphology) on my husband’s SA. He talked about completely different possibilities of what could be preventing us from getting pregnant that my old RE never even remotely explored. He spent almost 2 hours in our consultation and goes into great detail when explaining things. He’s very smart, and a little hard to keep up with at times, but you get the sense that he genuinely wants you to understand. I enjoy listening to him, and wish I could have seen him at all of my appointments. I could probably talk about infertility with him for hours. He seems passionate about what he does, and he cares about helping you.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic [RBA- Sandy Springs] kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Don’t be afraid to ask him questions if you don’t understand something. Sometimes he can explain things to you as if you were another doctor he’s speaking to, but don’t let that intimidate you. He’s just very smart, and seems to really like talking about infertility. Have questions ready in case he spends a lot of time on one subject, that you forget you wanted to ask him something else. He’s very humorous as well and likes to joke, which totally took me by surprise. I really enjoyed the times I got to speak with him.
At the initial consultation with Shapiro, he spent almost 2 hours with us. He really seems to enjoy explaining things and going into great detail, and I really appreciate that. I didn’t feel like he wanted to rush us out of there at all. He genuinely wanted to be talking to us I think, or else he wouldn’t have spent so much time.
He believed there might be an egg quality issue, and that oral medication (Femara) with IUI isn’t enough for me. He had me do a low dose HCG injection lead in for egg quality (started day 15 of the cycle before the cycle with the IUI). This continued up until trigger shot. I then started 75 IU of Gonal F in the next cycle on days 8-12. Ovidrel was used for trigger, then the IUI was scheduled for 36 hours later.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Fristensky )
Majority of communication with the nurse is done via email which I was fine with. She was pretty quick to respond which was nice. I had a rough start with her, as I couldn’t get a call back. But then I quickly realized email was my best bet. She doesn’t elaborate a lot in emails, or go into much detail, but I assume that’s because she’s busy. Dealing with her in person wasn’t as pleasant as I got the sense she was in a hurry and trying to rush me through my appointments with her after my ultrasounds. That’s something I cannot stand. I drove over 2 hours for every appointment, only to be rushed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Not speaking about Shapiro, but the rest of the clinic kind of makes you feel like a number. I know they’re busy, and the clinic is huge, but I don’t like feeling like they’re trying to get me out of there as quickly as they can. The front desk ladies are very nice. A couple of the billing people you check out with are nice, but one is an absolute nightmare to speak to. The sonographers are nice, as are the ladies who take your blood. The patient coordinators aren’t easy to deal with. They don’t respond in a timely manner. And the girl who does all of Shapiro’s scheduling is terrible to deal with. She literally never answers the phone when you call. You have to wait every time. I will say that the major drawback about this clinic, and one that has made me reconsider using them for future treatments is that I was told both my consultation and my SHG would be covered by insurance. I was only required to pay my $40 copay for the consultation, and that $287 was my portion of the SHG. My insurance covers testing, and every consultation I had with my old RE was covered. But because of the diagnosis code (female infertility not specified) that RBA is using on these claims, my insurance is denying them. I was never told that the diagnosis code might prevent them from being covered. I’ve asked them to please use a code that doesn’t indicate infertility like my old clinic did, but they’re refusing to. This really upset me considering I had my insurance verified by them, and they told me these two things would be covered, but now they’re coding them in a way to keep them from being covered. I’m not asking them to commit fraud, there are a lot of other valid codes that could be used. It really makes me reconsider using them again.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We ended spending about $2500 for one IUI with injectables - that included all appointments, blood work before cycle and during, medications, and IUI ($600 by itself). But now we probably owe $500 or more due my insurance claims being denied that they told me would be covered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They failed to tell me that even though my insurance covers the consultation and SHG, that it may not be covered depending on the diagnosis code used on the claim.
Sandy Springs

Dr Shapiro was very direct- which my husband and I appreciated. He was clear in our treatment and was quick to adjust our treatment so that I didn't have to abandon our cycle. There were points in our treatment that I felt frustrated how many times I had to go into the office but looking back I am glad I was monitored so closely and it led to success.... have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own.
The phone system is a little bit complicated. You have to call and leave a VM and wait for someone to get back to you. I understand this approach but there were times that waiting for the return call was very stressful. The office staff and billing teams were friendly and easy to work with...I was treated very well while going to RBA. The doctors and the office staff were responsive and kind when communicating about treatment.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
If you are looking for a doctor who is warm and fuzzy Dr. Shapiro might not be for you. If you want direct, quick and sort of quirky Dr. Shapiro is right for you!
I have PCOS and was initially prescribed Provera and Clomid to have a cycle because I don't ovulate on my own. That cycle did not work. The second cycle I was given Provera and clomid and then injections of Follistim. I was monitored very closely on the Follistim, ultra sounds and blood work every 2 days (at the time this was very overwhelming) but we were able to closely track my cycle and determine the best time for IUI which in my case was cycle day 23. My cycle was successful. In hindsight all the appointments were 100% worth it and I appreciated Dr. Shapiro's attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kelly & Kelly)
Overall the nursing staff was great. There was some minor confusion at the start of my cycle but it was quickly resolved and my treatment did not need to be changed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We have great insurance so it was mostly covered.

2014 - 2018, Successful
During a Follicle check, [Dr. Slayden] determined I had too many to proceed with an IUI cycle. This was such a big deal because my egg reserve is so low...he did not want me to lose my eggs and strongly recommend IVF. The decision to transfer to an IVF cycle was not easy...He gave me hope, he gave me support, he gave me a sweet little boy.
The first thing I noticed about [RBA] was parking was not free but thank God they validated it for you...clean and easy to navigate...operates with a level of privacy which I found comforting...accommodating to working women and men with appointments beginning as early as 7:20am...I can’t say enough about how much I love this office.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I always knew I wanted to be a mother, so I was completely devastated after my first miscarriage in 2013 and again in 2014. It was at that moment that I knew that I needed answers, and not just from books or online, but from a licensed professional. I chose Dr. Slayden for a number of reasons but ultimately I believe it was his confidence, knowledge, and gentleness that sealed the deal for me. And I needed that because I was completely lost emotionally. I expressed my strong desire to become a mother and Dr. Slayden was thorough and honest with me and my husband about our challenges. He gave us several fertility options but it never felt like he was trying to sell us. While he was in favor of IVF because of the success rate, he also understood the cost associated with this procedure so he recommended more cost effective approaches. In 2015, my husband and I decided to try and treat our infertility with IUI. I was excited but nervous. But what I loved about Dr. Slayden is he did not give us false hope. He was honest, but not brutal, about our chances and when my pregnancy test was negative he encouraged me not to lose faith. I think that’s what kept me going because for me, some days were really hard but I knew I had a doctor committed to my dream. In 2017, we tried IUI again but this time the results were different. During a Follicle check, he determined I had too many to proceed with an IUI cycle. This was such a big deal because my egg reserve is so low. And still committed to my dream, he did not want me to lose my eggs and strongly recommend IVF. The decision to transfer to an IVF cycle was not easy but after, what felt like an hour call with Dr. Slayden, I was convinced and completely optimistic. One thing that always stands out to me about Dr. Slayden was a conversation he had with me and my husband. My husband asked what are chances were of getting pregnant via IVF and Dr. Slayden answered by saying it’s either 0% or 100%. And I just loved this because he had faith when mine had wavered. He gave me hope, he gave me support, he gave me a sweet little boy born 5/22/2018.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
I have actually recommended Dr. Slayden to other women who dreamed of becoming mothers but could not do it naturally. I always tell them to never give up. That even if it does not work at first, to hang in there. To not lose hope. That Dr. Slayden will do everything he can to give you what you are desiring.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr.slayden and his entire staff goes above and beyond for their patience. Not only did everyone in the clinic know me by my name, but after every visit, Dr. Slayden always took time to speak to me and answer any questions I had. He spoke to me warmly but honestly. He was sad when I was sad. He was excited when I was excited. This interaction and emotions can only occur when you are treated like a human.
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I understood what IVF was but that was all. I learned so much from Dr. Slayden that I’ve often considered a career change from management to an IVF consultant. I struggled with a thin uterine lining so Dr. Slayden took this into consideration When writing my protocol. Instead of clomid, he prescribed follistim. After my egg retrieval came the hard part. Every single day I took L Arganine, female viagra, vitamin E, baby aspirin and progesterone. He also performed a procedure to scratch my uterus. This was done to Increase my chances of success. And last by not least, I did an estrogen injection, with the longest needle in the world, every 3 days. On September 4, 2017 i did my embryo transfer and 2 weeks later I was pregnant. I continued to take baby asprin and estrogen until I graduated at 12 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Kimmy)
I loved Kimmy. Of course when going through something like this, you often prefer the doctor treat you but after meeting Kimmy, that changed. Kimmy had twins born via IVF. Kimmy was nice, funny, gentle, forthcoming and sympathetic. These are hard qualities for 1 person to have but she operated with empathy because she understood what this meant to me. I was always nervous before every single appointment but I felt better the moment I walked through the door. Their front desk coordinator, Heather was friendly and I just loved that she knew me by my name. I can’t say enough about how much I love this office. After I had my son I had the opportunity to take him to the clinic and I just thanked every single person for helping me in some way. Sometimes it was words of encouragement and other times it was a friendly smile.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I visited the Lawrenceville location as it was closer to my house. The first thing I noticed about this location was parking was not free but thank God they validated it for you. The clinic is clean and easy to navigate. This clinic also operates with a level of privacy which I found comforting. They are also very accommodating to working women and men with appointments beginning as early as 7:20am. This was a huge deal to me since I knew it was going to be difficult to juggle work and appointments. However, for me the biggest weakness was this office is located on the 3rd floor and I’m really scared of elevators.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Unfortunately, I don’t remember everything. Before I began my IVZf treatment, they got me in tough with their finance department who went thoroughly went through everything with me. My total cost of the procedure with medicine and testing was close to 30k
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
N/A. I performed PGS testing but only had 1 genetically viable embryo o transfer.
Lawrenceville
[RBA] Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly!.. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions...I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
From the moment my husband and I met with Dr. Shapiro, there was an instant connection. He treated us like real people. Real people going through a not so great time in our lives. We never felt rushed to leave the office when talking with him. He always made sure that we knew the course of action being taken and why. If there was something I or my husband didn't understand, he would explain it again in a different way. If something didn't work to his liking, he'd tweak the protocol. If he was stumped as to why we couldn't get pregnant, he would schedule an appointment with us, bring food, and make sure we went through everything with a fine toothed comb. He'd even text or call to check on us during retrievals, after transfers, or while waiting to things to happen. My experience with Dr. Shapiro has been one of the best when dealing with a doctor.
Trust him. He knows what he's doing!
The moment I walked in, there was always a smiling face to welcome me. The staff know my name, know about our last conversations we had, gave hugs when news wasn't always the best, hugs when news was good, always positive, and always concerned with feelings and emotions.
For the retrievals, I was put on Gonal F, low dose HCG, and Lupron. Each was tweaked after each round to try and get the best possible number of eggs. For the transfers, Estrace, Crinone, and estrogen patches were used each time. After each failed transfer, the protocol was also tweaked. Part of this was due to my having a thin lining. With the tweaking, my uterine lining continued to thicken each time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: 1) Ashely 2) Jennifer 3) Tamika)
I could not ask for a better nursing staff. They are always responding to all our questions by the end of the day, even if more than one email was sent. If it was easier to call and discuss, they would. In the office, they would spend as much time as needed with us to go over protocols and questions. They too, are always compassionate! I know I'm not just a number to them, but a human being when I meet with them. They truly want to get to know you and they don't mind you getting to know them. It feels like my favorite place when I am with them.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: Truly want to see you succeed. They are very friendly! They will talk about their lives and open up if you chose to open up about your life. They know you by name and face. They are always respectful, kind, and compassionate. They communicate in a timely fashion and never hesitate to answer questions or concerns. The billing department is on the ball with what you need to know, prices, and billing questions. Weaknesses: there was a time when the group was changing ownership. During this period, things were a little rocky. However, when we stated our concerns, things were dealt with immediately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Our insurance did not provide payment for services. The cycles cost around $14,000 and embryo freezing/genetic testing cost around $2000 for a package, unlimited for 6 mo. I believe. This has also changed a bit since new ownership.
None. Completely trusted him.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by.... If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words.... After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF.
The clinic [RBA - Sandy Springs] in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes.... The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable, attentive, kind and energetic doctors I have ever been treated by. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names and gave us the warmest greeting. He is extremely attentive and will spend all the time we need at each appointment we had with him. We have never felt rushed and always felt very comfortable asking any questions we might've had for him while he was always very graceful answering all of them. He is one giving soul who takes mission trips often, dedicated his time to much research and is an amazing world of knowledge, and I wish all medical professionals had the same attitude about their patients, as it means so much to us, especially in case with fertility treatment us patients get very vulnerable and experiencing so many new emotions. If I ever had a question for him I would always get a call from him very soon. Any time I was at the clinic and bumped into him he would always make sure he acknowledges me and always gives a moment for some encouraging words. So having such qualities as kindness, attentiveness, being highly knowledgeable in the sphere, having fine bed-side manners, and a great sense of humor, make an outstanding medical professional in my book! Hands down Dr. Shapiro is on top of the list for me!
Trust him he is one great fertility specialist!
Dr. Shapiro is one of the most personable. Any time my husband and I came to see him or just came to the clinic for other visits, he would always make sure he remembered us by our names, remembered our story and gave us the warmest greeting and spent a lot of time with us at our each visit with him.
Given that my husband and I are both healthy and have no reason to not be able to conceive on our own, Dr. Shapiro first recommended to go with IUI, and try it a few times before we consider IVF. He seemed very rational and considered of our situation and always tried to be very frank and honest with us. Never have we ever felt that he is not invested in our journey. It always seemed that he is also concerned with our financials as well, since he mentioned that IVF is a very costly treatment and lets stay away from it as we can. After two unsuccessful IUI treatments my husband and I have decided to go with IVF. Dr. Shapiro was very supportive of that. Every time along the way whether it was IUI or IVF he was extremely informative, has had multiple consultations with us to make sure every detail is covered. At the current moment we are kind of half way in IVF treatment, and only yesterday I had the eggs extracted for fertilization. Once again the preparation period, including ultrasounds, blood work, genetic consultation, nurse consultations and more, was great and made us feel that we do have a fantastic team of professionals that are guiding us and "thinking for us' to some degree which was a very comforting feeling since it al was very foreign to us. So the path to the surgery was not as draining as I was expecting and have heard it would be from outside parties, online research, etc. and again the reason being that I was very well informed and guided and felt a lot of support from my doctor whom I trust and his team. He had assured me that I would have great response to the medications / shots I was using leading to the egg retrieval and that was the case. He was pretty excited on the day of the procedure to inform me with the outcome. Aside the psychological burden we experience as patients, the process was very well orchestrated and organized which relieved me of so much stress. Dr. Shapiro has so far exceeded my expectations and I would recommend him in a heart beat!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nursing staff is excellent! Very informative, caring and ready to help. They all seem very well trained and great professionals. They are very prompt returning phone calls which in this process could be extreme;y sensitive matter. I do not recall them ever not returning my call, falling short on answering my questions and were extremely patient and pleasant throughout the process. In the past month or so most of his staff members have become more like friends that I get to see on almost daily basis. It is amazing as I walk down the hall everyone knows my name and my treatment and it makes it easy to attend knowing how pleasant they all are and ready to help. The nurses are also making sure to let you know how excited they are for you and wish you the best outcome! Its another much needed support team :)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic in my opinion is well maintained and the systems they have in place have worked well for me. They do have a great after hours answering center which gives us patients a peace of mind. Any time I had to call them during the weekend or after hours they made sure a nurse returned my call within 10-15 minutes. Multiple times I had to come in during the weekend for appointments and those were scheduled and handled very well which saved me lots of worries. The only weakness I would mention is that any time I called the office during working hours I always had to leave a voice message and wait for a call back. When I just became a patient at the clinic I was very unhappy with that. I felt that it was very important for someone to actually answer the phone when patients call. Later my attitude about that had changed, and because they never failed to called me back. Another part where I was a little stressed is when the business center (again in my opinion) were not very clear on the treatment payment/cost. I had to speak with multiple finance people until I was given a clear explanation.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I was given a range of 25-30,000 for the IVF treatment.
Dr. Shapiro had mentioned to us that many patients do in fact transfer multiple embryos for many different reasons. We did not feel that he was steering us to one or the other direction and what he did is inform us of all the potential results / consequences of a multiple embryo vs. single embryo transfer. After he had heard our story and realized our situation he was very much focused on our personal situation and our needs.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Amy was great. The best way to contact her was through the email portal. She usually replied within a maximum of a couple of hours. She answered all my questions and concerns as well as helped me make sure all my records came in from my other physicians...My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications...I liked the initial presentation that I was able to attend on a Saturday morning. It was a good presentation to introduce prospective patients to the clinic, procedures, and some of their doctors and staff. I never had a problem contacting the main office via phone or email. I also never waited more than 10-15 minutes for them to call me back for an appointment.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
The first time I met with Dr. Straub, he was compassionate yet blunt. Blunt due to the issues my age may play a role in success of any fertility procedures. I understood that. The last time I met with him was after the failure of my procedure. He was extremely encouraging, as my body did everything it was supposed to do to prepare with the help of the fertility drugs and we had a great looking embryo. It was the "flip of a coin", as he put it, whether the pregnancy would happen. Because everything set up so perfectly, he is completely on my side in taking 1 more chance.
He's a good guy. You can't go wrong choosing him to be your physician.
I have some medical issues, and Dr. Straub took those into account and required each of my physicians to "sign off" on me getting pregnant. He wanted to be very sure everyone on my "team" was on the same page. When I saw him post-treatment (that did not work), I felt like he was completely "on my side". I had anticipated trying this one time, but he was very encouraging as everything went as planned except that the embryo did not result in a pregnancy. We are in the process of deciding to move ahead with another try.
I started with Lupron injections. Then, patches and internal suppositories were added. These were simply to control my cycle and prepare my uterus. I was lucky as I had no apparent side-effects of any of the medications. The results were excellent as my uterus did everything it was supposed to do in the expected time frames.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cerejewski)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
My costs for embryo transfer were ~$6000 + medications. Insurance covered the cost of the initial consultation and the FemView (maybe?).
We never discussed multiple embryo transfer. I'm not sure that is even a consideration due to my age.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Best has been through IVF herself and took the time to share with me how she understands going through infertility. She made me feel comfortable through the whole process. She’s actually the only doctor that found the issue with my husband and I because she took her time and didnt rush through the testing!... I did two IUI prior to Dr. Best so when we went to her I wanted to try timed intercourse to see if my eggs would even respond and they finally did. We did clomid 100 and a trigger shot and both cycles I had 4 and 6 follicles!!
Strengths: great success rates, many offices [RBA Marietta] so it’s convenient, very knowledgeable drs and nurses Weakness sometimes it can take a little while to get an appt bc they are busy. The sperm freezes have to be done at one location in Atlanta and the latest you can do it is 9 am so that is inconvenient if you live for away like we do.... All nurses are very caring and helpful! They always email me back if I have questions within a few hours!
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I’ve never felt more comfortable with a dr. She told me at my first visit with her to put all the stress on her and for me to relax and I’ve honestly done that for once. I trust Dr. Best because she knows what it’s like to have infertility problems and I know she’s going to help us start a family! She’s very patient and answers all questions and I always leave understanding what our next step is.
Make sure you have your past history all printed out, it helps to have it there to look at when you’re going over what’s next.
I did two IUI prior to Dr. Best so when we went to her I wanted to try timed intercourse to see if my eggs would even respond and they finally did. We did clomid 100 and a trigger shot and both cycles I had 4 and 6 follicles!! We didn’t get pregnant unfortunately because we later found out my husband has a morphology issue so we are seeing the male specialist now and hoping to improve sperm quality and then go back to iui or ivf!
Describe your experience with RBA.
Strengths: great success rates, many offices so it’s convenient, very knowledgeable drs and nurses Weakness sometimes it can take a little while to get an appt bc they are busy. The sperm freezes have to be done at one location in Atlanta and the latest you can do it is 9 am so that is inconvenient if you live for away like we do. (1.5 hours)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
Consult is $250, hsg was around $700 I think, sperm freeze was $650, ultrasounds around $200, husbands ultrasound was $510, IUI is around $1700, IVF starts at $14,500
I haven’t gotten this far yet.
Marietta
Dr. Brahma is soft spokDr. Brahma is soft spoken and will answer any question asked. She can move through the material quickly as I'm sure she has many patients to get to and this material is routine for her. She was clear in her concerns at the beginning. We met with her twice in person and once by phone for the entire cycle process beginning to end...every visit seemed to feel somewhat 'cut short' as her nurse would knock on the door and saying something along the lines of 'they are ready for you when you are' as if to very politely say 'Times up". Just know that will happen. I do wish our appointment times were longer.
I felt as if they [RBA - Sandy Springs] forgot this was my first time doing anything with IVF and it was all new to me. They do this day in and day out so Im sure its routine but I needed more hand holding because this process is mentally taxing and financially very expensive as insurance did not cover the process...I was on the highest dosage of medication allowed as my AMH is low and 'egg age is older then my biological age'. We built a probe through Cooper Genomics for PGS and PGD testing to look for cystic fibrosis.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Take notes and when you are unsure what she is saying speak up, right then, to ask her to elaborate. Also, every visit seemed to feel somewhat 'cut short' as her nurse would knock on the door and saying something along the lines of 'they are ready for you when you are' as if to very politely say 'Times up". Just know that will happen. I do wish our appointment times were longer.
Dr. Brahma has 2 nurses that are responsible for responding to emails re: concerns, treatment plan and follow up plans... Both are very nice and prompt to respond. However, we never received proper training for injection administration and/or location. We were told the pharmacy would do that to which the pharmacy said they do not do that anymore, so we were left to learn off of videos on YouTube. Looking back now I should have messaged RBA to say "They won't teach us, when would you like for us to come in for you to show us how?" Feeling like a number: We did our transfer 2 weeks before Christmas so right around the Christmas is when I needed to do my bloodwork to confirm pregnancy. Because we were traveling I went to an offsite 3rd party facility who ended up taking 4 days to send it the results (should have been next day). No one at RBA seemed concerned when I would call to ask if they had received results, which was very disappointing. I wish someone would have lit a fire under the 3rd party company to send results but RBA seemed to only feel it their responsibility to merely wait until the company sent (in their own time)... Then after 'regular hours' were established again Dr Brahma said 'Yes, quite often they do not get us the results next day." That was infuriating to hear this was common and no-one mentioned it to me when I told them I would be going to a 3rd party location as I have to believe we would have changed our travel plans. Feeling like a number: Often when orders would be sent or a plan put in place there would not be much explanation on the details of that plan. I felt as if they forgot this was my first time doing anything with IVF and it was all new to me. They do this day in and day out so Im sure its routine but I needed more hand holding because this process is mentally taxing and financially very expensive as insurance did not cover the process. Feeling like a human: Dr. Brahma has an amazingly kind disposition. She is soft spoken and quick to acknowledge any concerns or worries presented. She will reach out to fellow practitioners if she has a question. Meetings with her were clear and we left feeling like she cared about us and the outcome.
Crystal (and Caitlin) were overall quick to respond to questions we had and also share protocol plans. Be mindful that any communication over major holidays the communication is very very delayed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
They are familiar with IVF for reasons other then infertility, ie: avoiding specific genetic diagnosis. The billing/financial department is not helpful at ALL in determining what the out of pocket cost will be to the family. they will give you a price breakdown sheet but that is it. We were left on our own to call insurance and see what/ if anything they would cover. RBA will not bill insurance for anything if you do not have an IVF policy so it will be on you to request reimbursement. The cost of how much IVF will be is literally one of the hardest items to nail down.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
We built a probe through Cooper Genomics to PGS and PGD testing for cystic fibrosis. The cost for that was $4,500 and $1000 for up to 8 embryos. The probe is kept to be used for any additional cycles/embryos. Medication was ~$5300 Single transfer was $4500 Multiple transfers (until a live birth) was $6000 (The is PER retrieval) Overall we gathered our out of pocket costs to be $35,000. Ours was more because of the extra genetic testing and lack of insurance paying. There is no discount for paying cash for a cycle.
She stated that single embryo transfers are more successful so multiple transfers were not common in their facility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Results arrived over a holiday and it took extra time for anyone to reach out to us from the clinic to relay that.
Pavna Brahma
Sandy Springs
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. ... Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process.
RBA is at the cutting edge of research in the field....but there is still no consistent use of any type of electronic medical record systems. Everything is sent through secure email or by phone. If you travel between offices your physical records are transferred by carrier - keep this in mind if you get bloodwork at a different location than your care team is located - it can cause a delay.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
I saw Monica Best beginning of January 2018 after switching clinics. We had a wonderful first consultation where we went over everything that took place during my previous cycles as well as what she would suggest we do moving forward. Before being able to start treatment I ended up pregnant with what ended up being a molar pregnancy. Dr. Best handled this horrible situation with care and compassion but always made sure to tell me the risks involved and 6 month monitoring during this process. After my HCG hit negative we were able to begin preliminary testing for an egg retrieval cycle with protocol suggested. This was as far we got before she left the practice.
She is no longer practicing at this clinic but if you find her at another clinic she is amazing! The best choice of doctor in the Atlanta area.
Dr. Best always had the perfect balance of compassion and scientific facts to back up her reasoning.
For treatment of Molar pregnancy I had a next day D&C followed by weekly blood draws until my HCG hit negative followed by monthly negatives for six months to ensure HCG did not rise again. We also performed an SHG and routine genetic testing as well as infectious disease screening before starting an IVF cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Nursing staff was always quick and efficient in answering calls and emails.
Sandy Springs
Dr. Toledo always addressed us by our names and has a great bedside manner. He understands how hard this process is and is upfront but also compassionate. ... We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again. ... He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff [RBA] were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well. ... I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo was upfront when things were not going as well as expected. He laid out a clear plan of what our next steps were and provided us with sound and logical information. He always was kind and open to discussion regarding what we were comfortable with.
He is a great doctor who cares and wants to help in any way. He is also very open to what your wants and needs are and bases his recommendations on that information.
We decided based on how many embryos were produced if we were going to genetically test them or not. If there were 3 or less embryos, we were not going to test them and take our chances. We ended up with 2 embryos so we did not test them and transferred 1 embryo in July 2018 that resulted in pregnancy and ended in a miscarriage at 8 weeks. Looking back I wished I had gone ahead with genetic testing. We are now testing the remaining embryo, not on Dr. Toledo's recommendation but because I have had 2 miscarriages consecutively and cannot fathom going through that process again.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were easy to reach via email or by calling. I had a few nurses who responded, mainly 2 that seem to work for Dr. Toledo. I would not say the nurses are very compassionate but they answer your questions and communicate to Dr. Toledo as needed.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It was relatively easy to get appointments, the lab staff were friendly as well as the front desk and check-out personnel. My appointments were usually on time which was nice. The surgical staff were very kind as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
$14000 for first egg retrieval, additional 6-8K for meds, $4k for transfer.
Dr. Toledo and my husband and I decided for eSET due to the fact we have had a previous successful pregnancy (my 2 year old) and that multiples for me could be high risk since I am a petite person and complications could be high if I had multiples. Also we discussed that we knew we wanted 1 more child, but we were not sure if we wanted a total of 3 children.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
I was informed my AMH level was 0.4 when it was really 0.8. When I called back to get clarification, they did not recall or have any records of the 0.4. However, my husband and I were both certain they told us the 0.4 number.
Sandy Springs

From the first time I met Dr. Toledo, he was very personable and took the time to get to know me and my medical history. He welcomes any questions I have and is very thorough in his explanations. He is always warm and friendly every time he greets me - even if our meetings are short, they never feel rushed.... He told me my left fallopian tube was blocked and needed to be surgically removed. He explained why this was the best option and also let me know that there was a small possibility he could need to remove the right tube as well.
The clinic [RBA Sandy Springs] is run very well. Initially, it was difficult to get an appointment set up but after I met with Dr. Toledo the turn around time has been much better. I think communication is good- however, I would personally like reminder phone calls before appointments.... From the first time I met Dr. Toledo, he was very personable and took the time to get to know me and my medical history. He welcomes any questions I have and is very thorough in his explanations.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
The first time I met Dr. Toledo, he was very straight to the point. He told me my left fallopian tube was blocked and needed to be surgically removed. He explained why this was the best option and also let me know that there was a small possibility he could need to remove the right tube as well. He understood that I did not want this to happen but agreed he could remove it if he thought it was best. Fortunately, during surgery he only needed to remove my left tube. I am currently using fertility drugs to help me ovulate and he has been aggressive about how long he wants to try this route.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is run very well. Initially, it was difficult to get an appointment set up but after I met with Dr. Toledo the turn around time has been much better. I think communication is good- however, I would personally like reminder phone calls before appointments.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Toledo is extremely personable and wants to help. He gets to know you and your partner. ... Dr. Toledo is an excellent doctor and very knowledgeable about the most current research and treatments. As someone who came to him with extensive research he was able to have a knowledgeable conversation and also communicate when he thought it was best I seek an alternate opinion with all the issues I had going on. I deeply respect him and appreciate his honesty.
Very expensive but Dr. is very knowlwdgable and experienced. ... Sometimes challenges with nurses [RBA Sandy Springs] but overall good. ... No matter what doctor you see, be your own advocate and ask lots of questions ...[nursing staff] Lack of consistency and attention to detail ... Great reputation and success rate ... Due to endo I used Lupron Depot to suppress my cycle before a FET.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Ask lots of questions and be an informed patient, he respects that in his patients. Follow your gut and if something doesn’t seem right to you then voice your opinion.
Due to endo I used Lupron Depot to suppress my cycle before a FET. Then after a chemical pregnancy got an ERA in addition to changing my protocol. Following a miscarriage and using an immune protocol discussed other options.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
Lack of consistency and attention to detail
Describe your experience with RBA.
Very expensive but Dr. is very knowlwdgable and experienced. Sometimes challenges with nurses but overall good. Great reputation and success rate. No matter what doctor you see, be your own advocate and ask lots of questions
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro takes a personal approach with his patients. Even conducting the ultrasounds each cycle. He is very personable and put me at ease. I would definelty reccommend him for anyone needing treatment.... We used clomid in advance of IUI. Also a trigger shot. Unfortunately, we were unable to go through with the IUI because my husband has retrograde ejaculation. His sample was not viable so the IUI could not be done. Our only hope is IVF.
When calling it [RBA-Sandy Springs], its difficult to manage the phone system and what number to push to talk to a real person. I finally got the hang of it, but it was a little frustrating at first. I eventually thought to ask the nurses in person for a better number instead of the main line.... They [the nurses] were very imformative and responsive. The hardest thing was getting through to them. Once they called back, they were amazing.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Stay on top of the financial aspect and info with your insurance and confirm with the Dr's financial office.
Dr. Sharpiro took his time and explained every single step in length.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
They were very imformative and responsive. The hardest thing was getting through to them. Once they called back, they were amazing.
Describe your experience with RBA.
When calling it, its difficult to manage the phone system and what number to push to talk to a real person. I finally got the hang of it, but it was a little frustrating at first. I eventually thought to ask the nurses in person for a better number instead of the main line.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
With my insurance, I was quoted $3,000 out of pocket. And then medications $4k to $7k
Dr. Shapiro suggested transferring one single embyro at a time.
Sandy Springs
Dr Toledo was not only my physician but my friend and cheerleader. He is so caring and compassionate and never gave up on us. ... Dr Toledo was so compassionate and never in a hurry ... He went the extra mile to insure he was always available for procedures. When I did finally get pregnant, Dr Toledo kept in touch and even paid us a visit in the hospital. He is truly a blessing to our family. ...
Nurses and communication can sometimes be a challenge. Lyndsey [nurse] is pretty good! ... MaryEllen at the front desk [RBA - Sandy Springs] is super. She makes everyone feel special ... Instructions and next steps are sometimes unclear ... Lisa Lovuglio was amazing. I couldn’t have made it through without her. She has left the practice now and it is not the same!! ...
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr Toledo was not only my physician but my friend and cheerleader. He is so caring and compassionate and never gave up on us. He went the extra mile to insure he was always available for procedures. When I did finally get pregnant, Dr Toledo kept in touch and even paid us a visit in the hospital. He is truly a blessing to our family.
It may take a while to get in to see him but he is well worth the wait!
Dr Toledo was so compassionate and never in a hurry. He always took time to answer all our questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Nurses and communication can sometimes be a challenge. Lyndsey is pretty good! They’re not as detailed and compassionate as I expect after having worked with Lisa. MaryEllen at the front desk is super. She makes everyone feel special
Dr Toledo was open to transferring one or two and respected our decision to only do one at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Instructions and next steps are sometimes unclear
Sandy Springs
Dr. Shapiro is able to speak to me; explain the process and relieve my anxieties . He has a very comforting presence and can relate to me personally. I feel he understands me; where I come from and is able to anticipate my questions. This process is very anxiety provoking and he does a great job to calm his patients...Dr. Shapiro is great! Be patient with staff [RBA]; they are often cold not as helpful but he is worth it!
The office [RBA - Atl Main] is very clean and has a professional appearance. Appreciate that children are not allowed. Front desk clerk is always helpful and friendly. Easy to get lost though; always need assistance checking out...Staff did not return phone calls promptly or follow through with what they were asked to do. Lab orders were not entered. Scheduling coordinators did not call....Be patient with staff; they are often cold not as helpful but he is worth it!
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro is great! Be patient with staff; they are often cold not as helpful but he is worth it!
see previous
Describe your experience with RBA.
The office is very clean and has a professional appearance. Appreciate that children are not allowed. Front desk clerk is always helpful and friendly. Easy to get lost though; always need assistance checking out
Sandy Springs
Felt very cared for in phone calls and emails, meeting with him [Dr. Slayden] was not rushed and very thorough...Very thorough compassionate caring and encouraging ! The tests are long and take forever but I felt confidence in him as a doctor trying to help us grow our family. I had a negative result but I still feel like he will get us there... Lupron after BC, estrogen patches, PI O... [RBA] Seems organized, clean, friendly staff, billing efficient, always return calls.
Seems organized, clean, friendly staff, billing efficient, always return calls. Staff [RBA- Sandy Springs] compassionate caring and warm. Had to travel out of state accommodating when stuck in traffic, felt cared about in all aspects... Discounted cycle for two embryos about 10,000... Love my nurse she is so caring, always gets back to me. Answers questions... Felt very cared for in phone calls and emails, meeting with him was not rushed and very thorough
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
None he is very personable and caring
Lupron after BC, estrogen patches, PI O
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Lynn Crane)
Love my nurse she is so caring, always gets back to me. Answers questions
Describe your experience with RBA.
Seems organized, clean, friendly staff, billing efficient, always return calls. Staff compassionate caring and warm. Had to travel out of state accommodating when stuck in traffic, felt cared about in all aspects
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
Discounted cycle for two embryos about 10,000
They prefer to do only one as to not have high risk for over 40
Sandy Springs
He [Dr. Straub] seemed to care about our struggles and answered all questions honestly... He was very direct and explained every option and the rates at which each option would work. He gave us 3 different options and told us which one would work best if we wanted to conceive. He advised us to see a counselor as well to make sure we were on the correct path.... If you want a doctor who is blunt ans direct and will not sugar coat anything he is the guy.
The clinic [RBA - Cumming] is very organized which is a great quality and that helps make this less stressful for the patient. I liked how they give you a folder and tell you what you and your spouse must do to move on to treatment. They answer your emails promptly.... They were very caring and explained all testing and treatments and gave us a checklist that needed to be completed before moving on to IVF.... Our estimate is around $25,000-$30,000
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
He seemed to care about our struggles and answered all questions honestly and he is very direct.
We have not started IVF with donar eggs yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Cunningham)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is very organized which is a great quality and that helps make this less stressful for the patient. I liked how they give you a folder and tell you what you and your spouse must do to move on to treatment. They answer your emails promptly.
Our estimate is around $25,000-$30,000
Cumming
[Dr. Slayden is a] Good doctor but tends to assume one knows all terms and numbers and doesnt explain unless specifically asked. Given this is such an overwhelming thing already. I feel putting everything as simple as possible is best way to reassure the patient that it is a team effort and they really are on your side...He said, he wouldn't want to do multiple transfers to avoid multiple pregnancies problems and end with healthy babies instead of premature risky births
All [nurses at RBA- Sandy Springs] were outstanding. They made me feel like I personally mattered to them and that my success was theirs as well... The one nurse in charge of drawing blood is too brusque and actually left a mark on my arm (in the many years I've had my blood drawn, it has NEVER happened) other than that, you will be in great care...Standard ivf process, egg retrieval, procedure of fertilization and PGD/S discussed realistic probabilities of success. 12 eggs, 7 embryos at day 3, 3 made it to day 5, 1 was normal
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Do your research about potential course of treatment before committing to it. It may push plans a month but it is better to know what you should expect, look out and hope for throughout the treatment protocol chosen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Betts)
All were outstanding. They made me feel like I personally mattered to them and that my success was theirs as well
Describe your experience with RBA.
All are compassionate. The one nurse in charge of drawing blood is too brusque and actually left a mark on my arm (in the many years I've had my blood drawn, it has NEVER happened) other than that, you will be in great care