Cumming
1100 Johnson Ferry Road NE
Atlanta, GA 30342
404-257-1900

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best was the first doctor I saw regarding infertility. I went to my initial consult alone. I felt like a deer in an open field on the first day of hunting season at that appointment. I also felt very dumb. Something is wrong, but I have no idea what and I am sitting on the other side of a desk with a woman in a white coat, who is looking at me with the most gentle eyes and kind smile, and I just want to crawl in a hole and hide. The things that we talked about and the ways Dr. Best educated me are things that I still remember, fondly. I was hellbent on freezing my husband's sperm, he has a chronic disease that is half of why we needed IVF, and she was very nicely explaining that, yes, that's fine, but we really want embryos. Embryos equal babies. She was very knowledgeable and well read on current literature/studies/research, which is very important to me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Monica Best at RBA?
N/A.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Monica Best at RBA?
Dr. Best is a warm and caring woman. She was transparent about her own fertility struggles, which she didn't need to be. This is almost reason enough to see her for treatment, she understands this both medically AND personally. How many doctors can say that?
Describe the protocols Monica Best used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We only met with Dr. Best maybe three times total, and did not pursue treatment with her/RBA. We learned that the work up/diagnostic testing was covered under my husband's insurance at Emory. After further research, we also learned that the cost of a fresh IVF cycle with ICSI was dramatically less expensive at Emory. Dr. Best/RBA wanted my husband to see a urologist for his junky sperm. This would not be covered by insurance. When we discussed this at Emory, they said, (paraphrasing), "who cares, we know it's bad, let's make you a baby."
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
I don't remember anything about the nurse (Jamie? Jessica?) who drew my blood.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA has two offices, I think. I went to the one in Atlanta for the thing where they shoot saline into your uterus, and all my other appts were in the Kennestone Outpatient Pavilion in Marietta. I can't speak to the overall strengths or weaknesses of the clinic, in either location.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
When we got pricing sheet for RBA, everything was listed "a la carte". It was nearly impossible to follow, a lot of it because we were still (blissfully) unaware of all the medical terms and meanings and also because it was so extensive. Because our insurance offered ZERO coverage for anything done, we got bills immediately, had to pay a lot of money up front for things, and just were not prepared. My husband was the cooler head, for sure. I was very much, "just take my money and make me a baby, I will pay anything". It was insane how much money we paid, and we hadn't even gotten to the actual baby making part yet! This is the biggest reason we did not pursue treatment with RBA.
Monica Best

2013 - 2015, Successful
[Dr. Shapiro is] Intelligent - good communicator - encouraging and in depth - they are Able to have process start remotely which was great as I was working elsewhere and want to get started...Be prepared if you are long distance not living in ATL that you can self administer your shots at first stages. This was unique for me and I had a nurse friend come over for first steps then I was comfortable doing that by myself.
[the RBA staff is] Well educated, Good outcome 23 eggs I’m also super health conscious and always have been They could do more follow up to confirm Eggs are safe and doing well They show compassion and ask about life goals...[the RBA nurses were] Kind and complete in communication and also available by email and phone if I had questions along the way...They were very supportive of all my questions
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Intelligent - good communicator - encouraging and in depth - they are Able to have process start remotely which was great as I was working elsewhere and want to get started - I definitely want children as soon as I get married and want This within the year
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Ask all questions you have and he will be very helpful. Be prepared if you are long distance not living in ATL that you can self administer your shots at first stages. This was unique for me and I had a nurse friend come over for first steps then I was comfortable doing that by myself. Trust all the steps they provide and follow them. Healthful living is key and I’ve always done that (nutrition, sleep, healthful patterns overall)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Complete communication without rushing and the doctors took time to discuss any questions I had as my objective was to have a great outcome which I did as I froze 23 eggs successfully. I definitely look forward to carrying my own biological children.
Describe the protocols Daniel Shapiro used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I had shots Sent to me by mail leading up to flying out to ATL stay there for a few days and then retrieval that went very well - 23 eggs - I went through some life curveballs cancelled wedding etc and not knowing truth until years later so this inspired me to take this step to have options as I for sure want to have my own biological children
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: There were a few )
Kind and complete in communication and also available by email and phone if I had questions along the way. I am a Stanford grad so I am one to research and be very analytical to optimize outcomes. They were very supportive of all my questions
Describe your experience with RBA.
Well educated Good outcome 23 eggs I’m also super health conscious and always have been They could do more follow up to confirm Eggs are safe and doing well They show compassion and ask about life goals
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
I can discuss by phone with you
Describe Daniel Shapiro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
I have yet to do an embryo transfer but want to for sure. I know Dr. Shapiro and his team are very detail oriented about options.
2009 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Robert Straub] takes time to really make sure you understand everything he is going over. He has a habit of drawing pictures to help demonstrate exactly what he is talking about. When I experienced a ruptured ectopic pregnancy he gave me his personal cell phone number and fought with the ER staff on my behalf to make sure I had the best possible care and in order to have me transferred to a hospital that he worked with.
RBA is an amazing clinic. They are great at responding to questions and getting things moving once you're ready to start a cycle. I received the best care from all the staff there. I've since moved away from the Atlanta area but I will travel back there when we are ready to conceive again.... The nursing staff that works with Dr. Straub is amazing! They even took time to call me a few weeks after my ruptured ectopic pregnancy just to check on me and see if I was doing okay.
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
I have a long history with Dr. Straub and from the very beginning I have had an amazing experience with him. He takes time to really make sure you understand everything he is going over. He has a habit of drawing pictures to help demonstrate exactly what he is talking about. When I experienced a ruptured ectopic pregnancy he gave me his personal cell phone number and fought with the ER staff on my behalf to make sure I had the best possible care and in order to have me transferred to a hospital that he worked with. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Straub.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Robert Straub at RBA?
Bring your questions. He has no trouble answering them, no matter how crazy they might be. He actually asked me one time what other crazy wives tales are going around in the infertility community.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr Straub has amazing bedside manner. I always felt as if I were his number 1 priority when I was seeing him. He never treated me like I was just a number or just a paycheck, he really cared about me and about the outcome of our treatment.
Describe the protocols Robert Straub used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I do not remember all the specifics in protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Shelly, then Amy)
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe Robert Straub's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
As a young, otherwise healthy woman, Dr. Straub was conservative with the amount of embryos he wanted to transfer. He always suggested one but allowed my husband and I to make the final decision on whether or not we wanted to transfer 1 or 2. Both of my kids were conceived from a single embryo transfer.
Cumming
2012 - 2015, Successful
RBA is a wonderful practice. I was referred by my ObGyn. I've had many visits to the Main office and to Dr. Brama's Piedmont location. I cannot think of any weaknesses. Everyone was kind and professional.....The nurses were all very sweet and knowledgeable. There was one particular nurse that I did see a lot over the years. She was great. I was almost at the two mark after my transfer. It was the first day of summer school, so it was a stressful and busy day.
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
My experience with Dr. Brama was wonderful. She did whatever possible to make sure I understood what was going on with my body. She even drew pictures of my organs to explain parts of the process. My road to motherhood began with the removal of tubal blockages. My left tube was completely blocked and Dr. Brama removed it in 2012. She wanted to remove both, but respected my wishes to give the partially blocked (right) tube a chance. Surgery was successful and after a couple of attempts with IUI, she suggested not wasting my money. The other tube was not cooperating. It would be better to remove it and proceed with IVF. My second surgery was completed a year after my first. After my body had time to heal, I was ready to begin egg retrieval. The retrieval went well; 17 eggs harvested and fertilized. 5 of them made it to 5day blasts. Unfortunately, my body went through ovarian hyperstimulation, so the window to transfer was closing. I opted to freeze the embryos, allow my body to recoup...and pay down some medical bills. A few months later I was back. I began taking the meds to prep my body for the transfer. This procedure was the only part Dr. Brama wasnt a part of due to a scheduling conflict. However, she told me personally which in my mind attributed to the great relationship we had. Again every part of the process was explained. We discussed risk factors and I decided to transfer 1 thawed embryo. For me, 1 was all it took. The transfer was successful and I carried my daughter for a little over 37 weeks. After my baby was born, Dr. Brama was the first person I took her to meet. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Dr. Brama is very wise and has great bedside manner. Stay optimistic and and trust her guidance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
Not to say that one should go off of a picture alone, but as I read the bios of each doctor at RBA, there was a wariness in Dr. Brama's smile that drew me to her. Upon meeting her, I knew I had made the right decision. Taking the news of infertility was hard and Dr. Brama allowed me the time to have my emotional moment. NEVER was there a time that I felt rushed or "like a number".
Describe the protocols Pavna Brahma used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I do not recall the protocols Dr. Brama used, but in my opinion it was a blend of her medical expertise and respecting my wishes as a patient. I could've probably shaved a year off of my time had I not tried to make use of the partially blocked tube. I appreciated that, but what I appreciated more was Dr. Brama not being afraid as my doctor to then say to me we're wasting time. Not in those exact words, but it was the snap back to reality I needed to regain my focus and stay the course. I don't know if I'm a special case...being successful with IVF on my first try, but it was a pleasant surprise.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were all very sweet and knowledgeable. There was one particular nurse that I did see a lot over the years. She was great. I was almost at the two mark after my transfer. It was the first day of summer school, so it was a stressful and busy day. That afternoon I went to the restroom and saw that I was spotting. Can we say minor freak out? I called Dr. Brama's office and this same nurse was able to calm me down. She asked how bright the blood was. Its was dark burgundy/brownish. She reassured me it was old blood and to not worry. More than likely it was implantation bleeding...and it was. I think all of the nurses are well trained and understand the delicate nature of each situation and our stress levels.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
Unfortunately I do not recall the prices associated with my care during those 4 years. Georgia insurance does not cover infertility. I did eventually open a loan with CapExMD. Then I started a GoFundMe page to help pay off the loan.
Describe Pavna Brahma's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
We did have a thorough discussion about the number of embryos to transfer. For a while I thought about multiples, but I've always worried about my stature. I'm not even 5 feet tall. It didnt take much convincing on my end, but Dr. Brama also felt it would be best for a single transfer.
Pavna Brahma
2011 - 2015, Successful
We started off with metformin and femara, and then moved to an iui [with Dr. Slayden]. We were unsuccessful. The next cycle we planned for ivf with gonal-f and an estrogen drug and crinone for progesterone. I didn't have enough eggs for retrieval, so we switched to an iui and that was successful...He has an excellent bedside manner, he explained things carefully, made sure to answer any questions we had, and kept our expectations realistic. He did a great job keeping us comfortable during any actual procedures we did.
ivf [at RBA] - we got two cycles for about 20,000, and we able to get a refund if they were unsuccessful - minus the cost of medications...We went to the Lawrenceville location and it was very nice. For anything that had to be scheduled over the weekends or during holidays we went to the large downtown office, which was also great. Everyone was friendly and warm... They would always communicate back quickly and they were willing to work with you if you had an scheduling problems.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
I cannot recommend him enough. He made me feel comfortable, and explained all my options. He genuinely seemed like he cared about us as patients. He always took time to talk to us and made sure we were comfortable, and he gave us three beautiful babies.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Scott Slayden at RBA?
Just go see him - he will talk you through all your options and help you make the best decision for your family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Describe the protocols Scott Slayden used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
We started off with metformin and femara, and then moved to an iui. We were unsuccessful. The next cycle we planned for ivf with gonal-f and an estrogen drug and crinone for progesterone. I didn't have enough eggs for retrieval, so we switched to an iui and that was successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The whole staff is very friendly and supportive. They would always communicate back quickly and they were willing to work with you if you had an scheduling problems.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
I know that I was able to get a plan for my ivf - we got two cycles for about 20,000, and we able to get a refund if they were unsuccessful - minus the cost of medications/
Describe Scott Slayden's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
I think we was willing to help the patient decide on a case by case basis.

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Slayden has an easy, optimistic, and relaxed personality. This can be wonderful in the early stages when you want reassurance about the steps ahead... However, after 4 miscarriages with him as my doctor, I wanted more realism and answers.
It is impossible to get questions answered in a timely manner... Every time I call it seems like I am putting the staff out, and I am not a high maintenance patient. I felt like I would get lost in the shuffle sometimes.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden has an easy, optimistic, and relaxed personality. This can be wonderful in the early stages when you want reassurance about the steps ahead. It was nice to have someone so positive that he would be able to help me carry a baby to term. However, after 4 miscarriages with him as my doctor, I wanted more realism and answers.
Be prepared for poor communication with the office staff. If you are a type A personality, this office may not be for you. Everyone seems so relaxed and confident which is great until the protocols don't work.
I do feel the office knows my name - i have been there nearly every month for 2 years, so I whop they do! - but getting questions answered can be extremely frustrating. Nurses only make return calls after the office closes at 3. If you miss their call, you have to wait until the following day. I feel like my questions are often dismissed and quickly answered away. It feels as if they expect patients to be the expert.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Wolcombe)
It is impossible to get questions answered in a timely manner. If I make a call at 8am, I won't hear back until 3 pm - if I hear back at all. Every time I call it seems like I am putting the staff out, and I am not a high maintenance patient. I felt like I would get lost in the shuffle sometimes. For example, on my second egg transfer, I asked for the womb scratching like I had with my first transfer. They realized they forgot to set it up in time, so they told me it doesn't really make a difference anyways.

2015, Unknown Success
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
Dr. Straub is very direct and lacks a warm bedside manner. He even used the words "lousy" to describe my husbands semen sample at one time. While he is smart and knowledgeable, I often feel rushed when asking questions. My IUI and IVF attempts have been unsuccessful so far.
Be prepared to not have things sugar-coated.
His nurses were very nice and always answered emails and calls throughout the process. However, when delivering the news of the negative pregnancy test, it was very matter of fact. This is such a sensitive matter I felt a little more compassion could have been present along with next steps. I was told to call back to set another appt to go over everything after he met with the embryologist about my failed cycle. I wish I would have known more about why they chose at the time to put in only 1 embryo instead or 2, and what the grades of all 3 of my embryos are. I still don't know this, but do know they were good enough to be frozen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
They were quick to respond to all of my questions via email or phone and quick with updates.

2015, Successful
Julie [an RBA nurse] was an awesome resource during my cycle. She was prompt in replying to my questions and able to answer detailed questions. I am grateful for her! Dr. Best is a deeply compassionate and skilled physician. She was familiar with my treatment history before our first visit and had immediate recommendations to improve the chances of a successful pregnancy for our next cycle. I work in healthcare, she is by far one of the best physicians I have worked with and she made me want to do a better job with my own patients.
How was your experience with Monica Best at RBA?
Trust her. She is spectacular. If you have questions Dr. Best or her staff will make sure you are taken care of -ask them anything.
I saw Dr. Best after an extremely negative experience with a previous provider. She was thorough, compassionate, & extremely positive. Transferring my care to her allowed me to heal and look forward to my next cycle with hope. She is an amazing physician and all around incredibly decent human being.
Lupron down regulation before frozen embryo transfer, Progesterone in oil supplementation during luteal phase versus vaginal progesterone. Successful pregnancy was the result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie Morin)
Julie was an awesome resource during my cycle. She was prompt in replying to my questions and able to answer detailed questions. I am grateful for her!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Monica Best at RBA.
Travel, Medications, Cycle fee
Monica Best
Marietta
2015, Successful
His [Dr. Daniel Shapiro] style of loading us with lots of stats, facts and info is our style...He is very analytical...I had laparoscopy where a Fallopian tube was removed due to endometriosis. No additional treatment was needed...His confidence may come off as ego, but everything he told proved correct.
I know they [RBA] are busy. I wish I could have been seen sooner, but they have full schedules. Once I was "in" I appreciated not having to wait for appointments. The entire staff is kind. They are really great about explaining the back end (insurance etc)...The NP that I met with for pre-op and that did my HSG test was the perfect complement to Dr. Shapiro.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
His style of loading us with lots of stats, facts and info is our style. My husband probably could have engaged him in conversation all day long. Dr Shapiro does take a minute to warm up, but once we clicked we felt like we really connected.
Listen to him. He is honest. He has a brilliant mind and he is an expert in his field. His confidence may come off as ego, but everything he told proved correct.
He is very analytical. At first I worried we were going to be a number, but he looked at my file and asked a few questions. Once he had a handle on what he was dealing with we felt connected to him.
Describe your experience with RBA.
I know they are busy. I wish I could have been seen sooner, but they have full schedules. Once I was "in" I appreciated not having to wait for appointments. The entire staff is kind. They are really great about explaining the back end (insurance etc)
We did discuss IVF and because of our religious beliefs he advised he would only do single embryo transfer if we went that route. He said it was the responsible/safe choice.

2012 - 2015, Successful
She is direct and a known entity. This is not her first rodeo so there is great comfort in that she knows what she is doing...Ask for as much clarity on the front end as possible!!
The practice is clearly busy but I felt like Dr. Mitchell's team really gets to know the in's and out's of your case and when you are in it, they are very responsive...Krista and Nancy are INCREDIBLE!
How was your experience with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Ask for as much clarity on the front end as possible!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
The practice is clearly busy but I felt like Dr. Mitchell's team really gets to know the in's and out's of your case and when you are in it, they are very responsive. However getting the roadmap of every place you are going and the steps along the way was hard from the beginning.
Describe the protocols Dorothy Mitchell-Leef used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Gonal F, Ganirelex- poor egg quality, 23 eggs, all froze, 17 thawed, 10 embryos, 3 made to blast Lupron, Menopur, Follistim- 19 eggs, 16 embryos with ICSI, 9 embryos made to blast.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Krista )
Krista and Nancy are INCREDIBLE!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA.
Around $10K per retrieval
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
They didn't indicate that coming off of Provera, I would not have a full flow period so I was waiting for "full flow" because it said that on the form but when I mentioned I spotted, they said we missed that month's window to start.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Warm and friendly atmosphere [at RBA]. Everyone is positive and wants the best outcome for you...He [Dr. Daniel Shapiro] was honest and didn't beat around the bush. We had limited financial resources and he told us exactly what we would be paying and what our options were for the best outcome. We felt that he wasn't trying to push procedures on us that wouldn't work but would put more money in his pocket...Went straight to IVF via an egg donor because the outcome was less than 1% success rate with anything else.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He was honest and didn't beat around the bush. We had limited financial resources and he told us exactly what we would be paying and what our options were for the best outcome. We felt that he wasn't trying to push procedures on us that wouldn't work but would put more money in his pocket.
Expect brutal honesty
One on one care, never felt like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: I don't remember )
Very helpful if I had questions;always responsive
Describe your experience with RBA.
Warm and friendly atmosphere. Everyone is positive and wants the best outcome for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We had to agree to only transfer one embryo to get the best outcome.
2015, Successful
Dr Shapiro spent lots of time with us. He was personable knowledgeable and warm! He gave us all the information, with realistic expectations, but didn't discourage us....We loved him. Don't have enough good words to describe our experience!!!!!! He spent lots of time with us and was warm and knowledgeable. He is super smart and experienced and helped us conceive our son. I never felt like just a number he really took the time to get to know us and our history
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Ask questions and pay attention!
Describe your experience with RBA.
Great clinic treat you well. Sometimes there is a wait...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
Round of ivf is 14,800 I think. Meds cost btwn 3-5000$.
will only transfer one embryo unless there are mitigating circumstances
2013 - 2014, Successful
Care was specialized and custom to my past fertility issues. Testing and treatment was thorough, explained and I was made to feel comfortable with the fact that there were things beyond my control however my doctor assured me that I can achieve a pregnancy with help...Dr. Mitchell-Leef was direct, candid and honest. I appreciated her complete candor and the ability to tell me exactly what was going on without making me feel like a failure. She was able to show empathy and presented a well structured plan to help me achieve my goal. I felt very much like part of a team that was willing to work hard for the best outcome attainable.
Care was specialized and custom to my past fertility issues. Testing and treatment was thorough, explained and I was made to feel comfortable with the fact that there were things beyond my control however my doctor assured me that I can achieve a pregnancy with help...My nurse and care coordinator were incredibly compassionate, great listeners, very good communicators and always calm and caring.
How was your experience with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Stay the course, ask questions if you are uncertain and rely on the experts. From the nurses to the doctors, believe in them and trust them and you will succeed.
I used donor eggs given my age and history so the preparation is standard with the hormone and steroid injections. My first implantation failed so my dr. and her team met to discuss the outcome and she changed the protocol to add a uterine scratch test. There was a marginal change in the injection protocol, but after the scratch test and the second implantation I had a positive HCG
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Ellsworth)
Describe your experience with RBA.
The clinic is professional, has a warm environment yet definitely is very high quality. Exactly what I expected for the money.
Describe Dorothy Mitchell-Leef's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
Very strong approach to single implantation. We were happy with that decision.
2012 - 2014, Successful
I always felt like I was his [Dr. Toledo's] most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be...caring & understanding. He always spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
All of the nurses [at RBA] were wonderful!...It's very nice, clean and everyone is friendly....Sometimes I found that checking out was slower and there were days when I was upset or stressed and just needed to leave there as quickly as possible...I always felt like I was his [Dr. Toledo's] most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
I always felt like I was his most important patient. When my first IVF cycle did not result in a pregnancy I felt like he was just as disappointed as my husband and I were. He was upbeat when we needed him to be and he was warm and calming when we needed him to be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrew Toledo at RBA?
You probably won't get in to see him as quickly as you might like, but I promise he is worth waiting to see.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Dr. Toledo was so warm, patient, caring & understanding. He always spent a lot of time with my husband and I.
Describe the protocols Andrew Toledo used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
I do not remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
All of the nurses were wonderful! I was sad to leave them once I was passed 12 weeks.
Describe your experience with RBA.
It's very nice, clean and everyone is friendly. When I did my IUIs with another doctor in the practice I didn't always get to see her which was a negative for me. Sometimes I found that checking out was slower and there were days when I was upset or stressed and just needed to leave there as quickly as possible. When I was first at the practice I don't believe there were any support groups available which would have been helpful. I do believe that may have changed since then. I think support groups for different issues would be a great thing for them to offer their patients. ...........................
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
I don't remember
Describe Andrew Toledo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RBA.
We first did a single embryo transfer at Dr. Toledo's recommendation. It didn't result in a pregnancy. The next time we transferred two at his recommendation which resulted in one baby. For our second child he recommended two again but we chose do transfer just one as we were not in a hurry and did not want multiples and that resulted in one baby.
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Investment Banker
Dr. Mitchell-Leef is an excellent doctor. I trusted her opinions and judgment even though we did not have a positive outcome. I was mostly disappointed with the way our transfer went, which was done by a different, on-call doctor...Make sure there is a specific plan for your transfers/retrievals if she is not the one doing them.
RBA is a well-run machine. I felt comfortable with the clinic as a whole. They were not on the cutting edge of protocols though...The nurses were great and responsive.
How was your experience with Dorothy Mitchell-Leef at RBA?
Make sure there is a specific plan for your transfers/retrievals if she is not the one doing them. Also, if she runs out of options, as she did with me given my lining was so thin - seek a second opinion. I went to CCRM after she said she didn't know what else to do. I even went back to her and told her they recommended we try viagra to improve my lining. RBA was not open to that protocol so I continued with CCRM out of state. I got pregnant on my first attempt with them and now have a healthy, 9 month old daughter, and two genetically tested embryos frozen for future transfers.
My protocol was pretty standard the first time. The second time, after my lining became very thin, they just tried progesterone to thicken it but we had little success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were great and responsive.
Describe your experience with RBA.
RBA is a well-run machine. I felt comfortable with the clinic as a whole. They were not on the cutting edge of protocols though, as you see with a clinic like CCRM. In Atlanta though, I feel like they are the best option.
Not sure - we had insurance coverage so most costs were covered, luckily.
2014, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring...She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop... I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
The wait time can be long [at RBA] so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason...Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI...She [Dr. Pavna Brahma] listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle...She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring
How was your experience with Pavna Brahma at RBA?
She works with you on a plan that you can both agree on. She always kept me in the loop and made sure we took strived to my PCOD under control first. I saw her every visit. She’s very thorough in her testing and blood work. She didn’t test for any immune or genetic issues though and felt it wasn’t warranted. I felt differently but my insurance also didn’t cover it. She made sure that I was on the correct supplements during my preparation phase and that I saw a dietitian that specialize in PCOS and prenatal health.
Make a list of concerns you have. Make sure she has any records that pertain to your fertility weeks before your appointment and if possible have your ob/gyn do a preliminary workout so you can ask questions.
She listen to my thoughts about what I wanted during a cycle, the outcome of the cycle and agreed on what we needed to do to prepared. She has an excellent bedside manner and she’s very warm and caring. I really like her.
Our start was to get my PCOS under control then prepare for IVF with ICSI.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The wait time can be long so get the early morning appointments if possible. If you switch to a different RBA location you must request your records to be sent as they aren’t available system wide for some reason.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Pavna Brahma at RBA.
My insurance covered everything
Pavna Brahma
2013 - 2014, Successful
We were very happy with Dr. Toledo. He was caring, knowledgeable, and compassionate. He was thorough in our treatments and explained everything to us each step of the way. In instances when things didn't go how we had hoped, he always gave us the courtesy to call us and explain/give feedback/or just listen to our fears/disappointment...Be patient with the process. Ask for lots of testing up front - especially the MTHFR test which is such a common genetic "disorder" but can be easily "cured"
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
The practice was very professional and Dr. Toledo was excellent. Most of the nurses were great to work with but some were just ok with communication.
2010 - 2013, Successful
He [Dr Slayden] treated us for our infertility, one time ending with tubal pregnancy (which he himself performed the operation to remove the tube - in fact he insisted upon it!), and the other two pregnancies ended with two sets of twins. He rejoiced greatly with us when we were able to get pregnant, and often told us of other cases that gave him great hope from his past. His staff, especially Nancy, were caring with all of our questions, and were certain to get back to us as soon as they could about any questions that we had. They never blew us off even with the silliest of questions.
They [the staff at RBA] are extremely passionate about their work, and want you to be just as passionate. They are very loving, and are easy to work with. One downside is that there are very little credit options or payment options, at least when we were there. This made is somewhat hard for us to pay everything, although we did. Second cycles are much cheaper, and freezing embryos is very very inexpensive.
How was your experience with Scott Slayden at RBA?
Dr. Slayden was very straightforward about the expectations and realities of our particular infertility. He made sure to tell us the risks that were inherent with our treatment, but was also optimistic about our chances of pregnancy. We almost always saw Dr. Slayden for appointments, and during transfers, he was present and was in complete control of the room. He also made sure to state his success rates versus the national average. Also, he made us feel at ease with him from the first visit.
Be open and honest with Dr. Slayden. He can see through hesitancy or lies.
Dr. Slayden and his staff always treated us as a family member would do. We always felt more than just a case. He always was fair and straightforward without being mean or painful. He treated us for our infertility, one time ending with tubal pregnancy (which he himself performed the operation to remove the tube - in fact he insisted upon it!), and the other two pregnancies ended with two sets of twins. He rejoiced greatly with us when we were able to get pregnant, and often told us of other cases that gave him great hope from his past. His staff, especially Nancy, were caring with all of our questions, and were certain to get back to us as soon as they could about any questions that we had. They never blew us off even with the silliest of questions.
We used clomid at first to see if we could get pregnant that way. This ended up not being successful in getting pregnant. We ended up doing a full egg retrieval using various drugs that were very successful (38 eggs retrieved). We ended up using progesterone shots for four weeks before transfer, then for the next six weeks after implant twice per day. We also used a steroid shot before implant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Nancy)
Nancy was the best. She always was compassionate, but also stern to make sure we were following our care plan. She wanted us to have the best chance of success. She also made sure that we were coordinated with the pharmacy, as well as the business office.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The office does have pay to park at their facility in Sandy Springs (the one we went to). There is sometimes a bit of a wait for your nurse and doctor, but not long. They are extremely passionate about their work, and want you to be just as passionate. They are very loving, and are easy to work with. One downside is that there are very little credit options or payment options, at least when we were there. This made is somewhat hard for us to pay everything, although we did. Second cycles are much cheaper, and freezing embryos is very very inexpensive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Scott Slayden at RBA.
We had costs for various procedures. Per our insurance, they covered everything UNTIL we had the prognosis of infertility. This was not a problem with the clinic, but rather our insurance. Dr. Slayden put off a full diagnosis until the last possible moment to allow insurance to pay for a great deal of our treatment. We had costs for the operating room for embryo retrieval, as well as for our embryologist. This was covered in a 'down payment', which was used up by the time we were finished. Costs for freezing was very low per year, and the second cycle was much cheaper than the first. There were no additional costs outside of treatment for the second cycle.
2013, Successful
Dr. Shapiro had genuine compassion, delicately expressed, and was truly with us along the way ... After 5 cycles at another top clinic in the country, that either failed or resulted in miscarriage, Dr. Shapiro read our chart, new exactly what to do and handled everything with his uncharted brilliance and delicacy. I respect him so much as a person. ... We used icsi and out of 9 embryos, 8 came back genetically perfect.
It was with one ultrasound technician who, unaware of a heterotopic pregnancy, raised her voice to me that I was "making myself bleed by coming in for ultrasounds," which, would have killed me had I not since I was bleeding internally. Additionally, 5 times RBA has transmitted the wrong insurance information and lost documentation of having been paid. ... The billing dept was short and rude, and though ultimately discovered they were in the wrong. It was a massive headache and somewhat traumatic
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
Dr. Shapiro was truly compassionate, beyond careful, and perfectly funny. We care for him so much. After 5 cycles at another top clinic in the country, that either failed or resulted in miscarriage, Dr. Shapiro read our chart, new exactly what to do and handled everything with his uncharted brilliance and delicacy. I respect him so much as a person.
Just do it.
I remember that we lessened the amount of medication that I had been put on from another clinic. We used icsi and out of 9 embryos, 8 came back genetically perfect.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
We had one nurse who was very harsh and incorrect about a complication that arose. Also, the billing team repeatedly billed things wrong, lost payments, never accounted for payments and were very rude despite being totally in the wrong every single time, not accounting for thousands of dollars.
Describe your experience with RBA.
The doctor is amazing, billing department was terrible to deal with. But it is worth it. Document everything that you pay, etc., and you will have to talk to insurance, etc. But I always felt like I was in phenomenal hands with doctors there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Shapiro at RBA.
We had insurance coverage so it was minimal
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
It was with one ultrasound technician who, unaware of a heterotopic pregnancy, raised her voice to me that I was "making myself bleed by coming in for ultrasounds," which, would have killed me had I not since I was bleeding internally. Additionally, 5 times RBA has transmitted the wrong insurance information and lost documentation of having been paid. I also had to go through a third party doctor to get approval for payment because they filed incorrectly. Then was called two years later demanding payment, even though they were paid. The billing dept was short and rude, and though ultimately discovered they were in the wrong. It was a massive headache and somewhat traumatic

2013, Successful
I actually dealt exclusively with Dr. Straub over the telephone and traveled to Atlanta for embryo transfers. Each time we spoke, I found him intelligent and compassionate and felt I had time devoted to me to have any questions answered...At the point where I started working with him, I had been through 4 IVFs elsewhere, so I was well-versed on what the deal was. I was able to have intelligent conversations with him and left feeling informed...
I had a great experience at RBA - I actually have nothing bad to say...Cheley was responsive, pleasant and on top of things, and always got back to me quickly via email or phone when needed. The other nurses I dealt with were exactly the same...If you live out of town, it is possible to do it all remotely if you have been through the IVF/embryo transfer process elsewhere...
How was your experience with Robert Straub at RBA?
I live in NYC and used donor eggs at RBA. I actually dealt exclusively with Dr. Straub over the telephone and traveled to Atlanta for embryo transfers. Each time we spoke, I found him intelligent and compassionate and felt I had time devoted to me to have any questions answered.
I was pleased that Dr. Straub didn't mind when I requested not to have to go on birth control pills prior to the transfer protocol. He also suggested an alternative to progesterone injections (Crinone) that my other doctor wouldn't let me do. He was flexible after hearing what I liked and did not like about my other experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Cheley)
Describe your experience with RBA.
I had a great experience at RBA - I actually have nothing bad to say.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Robert Straub at RBA.
everything was paid for upfront.
Since I used donor eggs, I felt that my success was different than if I was using my own 41-42 year old eggs and since I did not want twins, I was all for the single embryo transfer.

2010 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Toledo humanized the process immediately, forging a connection with us over a common football team. He made us feel like we were his only patients, even though he surely had dozens at the time.
Dr. Toledo's staff is simply incredible. They were warm, caring, welcoming, and more than happy to answer my zillion questions!
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
The infertility journey is an intense one, and walking into a clinic like RBA can feel overwhelming. Dr. Toledo humanize the process immediately, forging a connection with us over a common football team. He made us feel like we were his only patients, even though he surely had dozens at the time.
My advice is to be your own advocate no matter who your doctor might be. Don't be afraid to ask questions or ask for clarification when things sound complicated or confusing.
Dr. Toledo is an amazing doctor and a caring, compassionate person. My husband and I connected with him instantly, and he made a difficult process so much easier with his fierce optimism and attention to detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
2012, Successful
He's [Dr Daniel Shapiro] very friendly and knowledgeable. He takes plenty of time and put my partner at ease too. Sometimes, even as an MD I didn't understand everything he was saying but my questions and confusion were quickly straightened out by him or his staff...I did agonist trigger, freeze all and had 5 normals from my group of 10 blasts out of of 18 embryos. Everything went exactly the way he thought too.
Though huge, RBA felt like a personal experience. They had just moved to their new office and my care overlapped both buildings. I was worried that the move would affect my outcome but I worried needlessly. The only complaint...the business office doesn't understand the clinical charges very well. Lots of confusion there.
How was your experience with Daniel Shapiro at RBA?
He's very friendly and knowledgeable. He takes plenty of time and put my partner at ease too. Sometimes, even as an MD I didn't understand everything he was saying but my questions and confusion were quickly straightened out by him or his staff
He often runs late so don't be in a rush when you come. Expect to be in the office 2 or more hours for a first visit, especially if you have a complicated history
He explained EVERYTHING and took all the time we needed
My husband and I want at least three kids so IVF with CGH on our embryos made a lot of sense. I was predicted to be a high responder ( and I was) so we had plenty of embryos to work with. We could have done shots and IUI but the multiple birth risk was too high and we knew I might need an agonist trigger to avoid OHSS. I did agonist trigger, freeze all and had 5 normals from my group of 10 blasts out of of 18 embryos. Everything went exactly the way he thought too.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA. (Assigned nurse: Rossi)
Rossi was very kind and patient. I was pretty demanding and she took her time with me.
We spent about 20,000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
The missed result was not that big a deal but I had to repeat a Hepatitis test for screening because the result was indeterminate and I had to be sure I was negative before starting. The business office charged me twice for the test but later the nurse straightened them out.
2004 - 2011, Unknown Success
Review of
I highly recommend Lisa Hasty. She was personable, communicative, professional and honest. Lisa was caring, warm, empathetic and I had complete confidence in her word and her medical abilities. She was committed to me, and did not push treatments on me, understanding all I had been through she recommended considering adoption rather than pursuing further treatment...We did the usual clomid, then IUI, then IVF. I had a history of ectopic pregnancies so when I had a positive pregnancy test she would follow my hormone levels very closely, and if the pregnancy was ectopic she would send me asap for a methotrexate (?) injection to end the pregnancy. I hyperstimulated on my IVF cycle and had to have albumen. I developed a cyst at one of the injection sites so she immediately switched the drug delivery medium. Had ICSI to increase number of embryos produced.
RBA was good - all of the nurses and staff were professional, competent, friendly, warm and compassionate. I only had a problem with one ultrasound technician, who was pulling out pictures of her kids to show us, and allowed a drug rep to walk in on me while I was changing for an ultrasound, Hopefully she is not there anymore...She [nurse at RBA] was wonderful, but unfortunately during my IVF cycle she did not get back to me in a timely manner to let me know my progesterone level was too low. It turned out her husband had committed suicide.
How was your experience with Lisa Hasty at RBA?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lisa Hasty at RBA?
Trust in her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lisa Hasty at RBA?
Lisa was wonderful with me. She was warm and empathetic.
Describe the protocols Lisa Hasty used in your cycles at RBA and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RBA.
She was wonderful, but unfortunately during my IVF cycle she did not get back to me in a timely manner to let me know my progesterone level was too low. It turned out her husband had committed suicide.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lisa Hasty at RBA.
It was a long time ago, so don't completely remember, and we were fortunate to have primary and secondary insurers paying for some aspects of treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
Just the two incidents. The nurse not calling me with my progesterone results and the ultrasound tech allowing a drug rep into the room while I was changing.
Lisa Hasty
Review of
2004 - 2011, Successful
He [Dr. Toledo] really cares about his patients and gives personal attention even when out of town. Very thorough and never in a big hurry when talking...He has the best bedside manner of any doc I've ever met even beyond the fertility realm. He is available for phone calls and seeks out information if it's not available. He shares his thought process with his patients...My uterine lining wasn't absorbing progesterone at the same rate across the uterus and he figured that out and tested the problem. I had my first at almost 36 and my last at 42.
Front desk [at RBA] isn't fabulous and you may have to wait for an initial appt. it's dr Toledo that's amazing, the clinic is good...[Nurse] She knew what the situation was most of the time and if not would check with doc and get back to me. Most of the time I spoke with the doc though which was awesome!...It's important to him that patients are taken care of and feel like people not sheep. He has the best bedside manner of any doc I've ever met even beyond the fertility realm.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
It's important to him that patients are taken care of and feel like people not sheep. He has the best bedside manner of any doc I've ever met even beyond the fertility realm. He is available for phone calls and seeks out information if it's not available. He shares his thought process with his patients. I went through 5 IUI cycles,a fresh in vitro ICSI transfer, frozen cycle and pregnancy. I now have 3 boys ages 13,11, and 7. Two natural pregnancies after the first which was successful after an in vitro frozen cycle. My uterine lining wasn't absorbing progesterone at the same rate across the uterus and he figured that out and tested the problem. I had my first at almost 36 and my last at 42.
He is amazing!!!
He really cares about his patients and gives personal attention even when out of town. Very thorough and never in a big hurry when talking.
What worked me in the end was his absolute dedication to the specific lab results from checking my progesterone levels even while out of town. He discovered in the end that not all of my cells were absorbing the progesterone at the same rate and therefore my uterine lining was inconsistent. He came up with this while out of town on vacation!!!! He himself called to check my levels.
Describe your experience with RBA.
Front desk isn't fabulous and you may have to wait for an initial appt. it's dr Toledo that's amazing, the clinic is good.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrew Toledo at RBA.
My insurance covered lab work and ultrasounds and some visits to doc, not the procedures themselves. It was 13 years ago so IVF was about 10,000 per cycle.
Don't recall. I transferred 2 first cycle with no success and then 4 on a frozen cycle and had a singleton pregnancy with no complications.

2010 - 2011, Unsuccessful
I do not feel like we often had experiences with Dr. Toledo. We saw him for an original consultation - but he did not perform any of the three IUI treatments. We met with him after the failed IUI cycles and that was our second and last time meeting with him.
How was your experience with Andrew Toledo at RBA?
Find a doctor who will be there for you and to address your concerns.
The care team at RBA did was inconsistent. I saw different staff members at each visit. It was a quick in and out and no one seemed to have time to spend with you. I do not think anyone there knew my name. The whole place seemed so cold and sterile.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RBA.
The nurses were not willing to email with me when there were test results or for general questions. They said it was too hard to try and get to a computer and that they would just call at their convenience and I could talk to them then. The problem is that I am teacher and that does not work for me. No one was concerned about what worked for me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RBA.
We had two prescription issues at this clinic. Once one was never called in and the other time one was written for twice the dosage it was supposed to be written for. If the pharmacist did not catch the mistake, it could have been very bad for my ovaries. As for the clinic in general, there was very little compassion from the staff - both nurses and doctors. As a patient, my needs and my time were not valuable. It was all about them and what worked for them.