Genetic counseling: Offered
Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend REACH to a friend?

6.4

7.1

2019 - 2020
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Strengths [of Matrika Johnson]: strong communicator, kind bedside manner, very knowledgeable on alternative options, she is also realistic with her expectations. I could not imagine going through this experience with any other doctor, she has exceeded our expectations. ... We were diagnosed with male factor infertility to start. We started with an egg retrieval, I was on Cetrotide, Gonal, Lupron and Synthroid. We got 25 eggs, 15 fertilized but only one made it to an embryo. After that first cycle she concluded that I have poor egg quality and it was unexplained.
Front desk staff [REACH] are sometimes not as sensitive to patient needs. Response times in the patient portal are a hit or miss, sometimes its fast, other times it is slower. It is harder to get questions answered over the phone. ... Never had too many issues [with monitoring], they had you come in between 7am-8:30am - there was a wait sometimes but they typically will get through relatively quickly.
2019 - 2020
2 IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Strengths: strong communicator, kind bedside manner, very knowledgeable on alternative options, she is also realistic with her expectations. I could not imagine going through this experience with any other doctor, she has exceeded our expectations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She does her best to try to see you every time you come in for an appointment but there may be times where other nurses or doctors will see you based on availability.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She took the time to explain everything in a way we could understand. I felt like she genuinely cared about our success and did everything in her power to make sure we had the best chances for success.
Describe the protocols Matrika Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
We were diagnosed with male factor infertility to start. We started with an egg retrieval, I was on Cetrotide, Gonal, Lupron and Synthroid. We got 25 eggs, 15 fertilized but only one made it to an embryo. After that first cycle she concluded that I have poor egg quality and it was unexplained. We did another egg retrieval and switched up the medications to see if we could get more and we ended up with no viable embryos. At that point we decided on transferring the one embryo we did have. We did get pregnant but ended up miscarrying at 8 weeks.
Overall good, there were times that they were not as responsive and helpful but they have a large workload so overall it was okay.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Front desk staff are sometimes not as sensitive to patient needs. Response times in the patient portal are a hit or miss, sometimes its fast, other times it is slower. It is harder to get questions answered over the phone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Never had too many issues, they had you come in between 7am-8:30am - there was a wait sometimes but they typically will get through relatively quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
With insurance coverage we paid roughly $5000 out of pocket for two egg retrievals. After we exceeded our maximum deductible our transfer out of pocket cost was roughly $2000.
Describe Matrika Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
She will only transfer one embryo, regardless of your age and likelihood of success.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
There was one time where I had to remind them to call in a prescription, not a huge deal for me.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH.

2016 - 2020
I love the fact that she[Dr. Matrika Johnson] is willing to make time and speak with you. even though we were previous patients that left the facility and then returned she never made us feel bad about seeking help elsewhere and was more than willing to meet with us and pick up service with her. ... Original visit in 2016 with dr. Johnson was a hsg test and my husband had a semen analysis. We did a lot of blood work Frankie & him. I never really had any other treatment. In 2020 they did a semen analysis for my husband and we haven't had any other work done through this office
weakness [of REACH] is definitely the financial department as it took more than four or five estimates for them to get me the correct estimate and if you're not immediately prepared to pay for everything right then, then it seems the financial department has braces you to the side and I was actually told, "Call us when you've got the money ready." ... Strengths are having someone like nurse Harrell as a go between them and a support system for the patients. She does a great job early explaining things that he may be confused about and if she doesn't know the answer she will most certainly speak directly with your doctor and get back to you.
2016 - 2020
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
I love the fact that Dr. Matrika Johnson is compassion to the need a very sickening IVF or infertility treatment. I love the fact that she is willing to make time and speak with you. even though we were previous patients that left the facility and then returned she never made us feel bad about seeking help elsewhere and was more than willing to meet with us and pick up service with her.
Have your money ready and be ready to move immediately otherwise you'll be placed in the back and almost forgotten about
Dr. Johnson is very sweet and matter of fact and to the point. I know she has a large caseload because I am in a fertility as for her patience. But I think in order to remain professional at all times the course of action is a little more by the book to avoid a show of favoritism and it comes across and you feeling like just a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Harrell)
Stephanie was absolutely wonderful. I could ask her question after question and she was always open and receptive to answering me. Even after we left and months later I could email her back with questions and she would get back to me really quick. I was really glad to have her cooking with me as a go-between.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths are having someone like nurse Harrell as a go between them and a support system for the patients. She does a great job early explaining things that he may be confused about and if she doesn't know the answer she will most certainly speak directly with your doctor and get back to you. weakness is definitely the financial department as it took more than four or five estimates for them to get me the correct estimate and if you're not immediately prepared to pay for everything right then, then it seems the financial department has braces you to the side and I was actually told, "Call us when you've got the money ready."
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Finances has been one of the biggest issues I've had with dealing with this office. I've been given several different estimates for the same services because the financial department did not take the time to contact my insurance and get the correct information. I work for the same company that provides my insurance so I need my benefits going in and they did not believe that I have coverage when I did so I had to call the insurance company and have the insurance company reach out to them to get the correct information then I was told I didn't have good coverage and I do and so I had to stay on the financial department about getting in touch with my insurance and getting the correct amount and type of coverage I have. Right now I don't know what my final estimate would be for getting service through REACH because the most current estimate I've received is still inaccurate
I actually was not given a choice. I would prefer multiple egg transfer but my doctor's philosophy is you're trying to get a child so we're going to transfer a egg. Doing more than one transfer would be a waste.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
We had to call multiple times to get the results of my husbands semen analysis test and they forgot to call in his prescription. My husband had to reschedule his first appointment and there was a mix-up and getting that done and the agent that helped him my schedule his appointment is very very rude to me and trying to assist my husband and getting things reschedule. She made it seem like I had no business calling on behalf of my husband.we are trying to get things financed to me for with donor egg transfer but because we don't have the exact amount of money required, how about that amount continues to change, we could almost no contact or feedback from the clinic unless I initiate.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
I am still in the initial stages [with Dr. Matrika Johnson] but I had to complete an HSG and blood work. She also provided me with a list of supplements to begin taking to help with fertility. Vitamin D, Prenatal, NeoQ10, DHEA 25. I am also going to have a hysteroscopy to detect if there is a polyp or fibroid in my uterus...is very knowledgeable about fertility and quickly assessed me as a patient and my personality. She is direct but passionate and solution-oriented. I felt well cared for even on my first visit...She broke things down to make them easy to understand and even put together a sports analogy regarding the fertility process so my sports-fanatic husband could understand. She is genuinely the best and made me feel at ease every step of the way.
The clinic [REACH] is busy but very organized and had great communication flow. The facility is very patient focused. For example, there is signage on the wall advising that if you were waiting more than 15 mins, to let the front desk know. I loved this because as busy as they are, service and care were very personalized...[staff was] extremely compassionate when it came to me and my husband's concerns. There were many women coming in and out of the facility but we felt like we always received one-on-one attention and care. Everything was on-time but never felt rushed...The nursing staff at Reach are amazing. They are punctual, light-hearted and always had an ear to listen and respond appropriately.
Black or African-American, Native American
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson is very knowledgeable about fertility and quickly assessed me as a patient and my personality. She is direct but passionate and solution-oriented. I felt well cared for even on my first visit. It was completely different in a positive way from an experience I had with a previous doctor in SC. She broke things down to make them easy to understand and even put together a sports analogy regarding the fertility process so my sports-fanatic husband could understand. She is genuinely the best and made me feel at ease every step of the way.
Ask questions if you don't understand something. Dr. Johnson checked in periodically during her discussions to make sure we had a full understanding so don't be shy. All questions are good and will help Dr. Johnson assess you as a patient to provide customized care.
Dr. Johnson and her team were extremely compassionate when it came to me and my husband's concerns. There were many women coming in and out of the facility but we felt like we always received one-on-one attention and care. Everything was on-time but never felt rushed.
I am still in the initial stages but I had to complete an HSG and blood work. She also provided me with a list of supplements to begin taking to help with fertility. Vitamin D, Prenatal, NeoQ10, DHEA 25. I am also going to have a hysteroscopy to detect if there is a polyp or fibroid in my uterus.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Simmons)
Describe your experience with REACH.
The clinic is busy but very organized and had great communication flow. The facility is very patient focused. For example, there is signage on the wall advising that if you were waiting more than 15 mins, to let the front desk know. I loved this because as busy as they are, service and care were very personalized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
So far, I've had to may for the HSG (less than $500) and deductibles for blood-work/labs. Upcoming surgery will be less than $1500. Then we need to pay for treatments.
Charlotte

Dr. Wing used the standard protocol for all our care. He never changed the protocol for IUI even though we were unsuccessful. He also used standard protocol for Ivf. Birth control then gonal f, low dose HCG, cetrotide, HCG and Lupron trigger...He was very matter of fact and robotic. I felt no connection to him. I get he just did the same y’all he always did and he never knew specifics about us. He would have to look back after I would tell him something. He forgot I even had a chemical pregnancy.
Long waits [at REACH] depended on what time you arrived in the monitoring period...Poor communication and terrible financial department. They will send random bills that make no sense. I just stopped paying them till I got a second bill which would be a totally different amount. They have improved their communication on the phone but the Ivf team has really been the improvement. You have to stay on top of everything to make sure it is done right.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
He just didn’t really seem engaged and never prepared for our meetings. I felt unsupported like a burden to him. He just said everything will go as planned and never told us the potential complications. Which happened and then we felt blindsided.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Wing at REACH?
Don’t expect warm and cuddly. You won’t see him again for any procedures or care because he is semi retired.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Wing at REACH?
Describe the protocols Richard Wing used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise )
She seemed to never know who we were or what was going on. She said some insensitive things during our treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Long waits depended on what time you arrived in the monitoring period.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Unsure because I used insurance for some.
Describe Richard Wing's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
He said he only transfers one but I have heard he has transferred two before.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
It was very hard to get call backs during the IUI cycles and my nurse put in my appointments wrong almost every time. Sometimes I would show up for multiple appointments and they would say we have no idea why you are here.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Wing at REACH.

Dr. Katz treated me very well...very warm and understanding. He was very compassionate to the issues we had been having and our fears. We brought a long list of questions to our consult and he answered everyone without ever making us feel rushed. He also was very LGTBQ friendly...We went to Dr. Katz for our second IVF cycle after being diagnosed with poor egg quality and not liking our previous doctor.
The are terrible and communication and their financial department [at REACH] has no idea what they are doing. You have to look in to your own insurance coverage and investigate yourself or you will lose money. You must be a constant advocate for yourself...The team forgot that I was even supposed to start Ivf. So I ended up rushing to get meds last minute. They all were going on vacation during this time so while I struggled to get meds last minute and get meds approved I talked to a different nurse everyday and they never knew what was going on. That is one example. I would say they are starting to improve their communication. Now they always answer the phone but I have to be a real advocate for myself and really know h the plan to make sure mistakes don’t happen.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
I found Dr.Katz to be very warm and understanding. He was very compassionate to the issues we had been having and our fears. We brought a long list of questions to our consult and he answered everyone without ever making us feel rushed. He also was very LGTBQ friendly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Seth Katz at REACH?
Make the most of your time with him and don’t be afraid to ask to speak with him when you are having issues. He will fix whatever problem for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz treated me very well but sometimes the communication thru his practice was lacking which made me feel like a number
Describe the protocols Seth Katz used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
We went to Dr. Katz for our second IVF cycle after being diagnosed with poor egg quality and not liking our previous doctor. He was wonderful and decided to do a very aggressive med protocol to try and get us as many eggs and possible. We didn’t do birth control like our previous cycle instead we did Lupron. We did gonal f, Omnitrope, low dose HCG, cetrotide and HCG trigger. We ended up with 15 eggs, 11mature, 9 fertilized, they all grew slow after that so we ended up with one day six and one day seven. We sent for pgs because we had no pgs normal our first retrieval. This time the day seven ended up being pgs normal. We transfer it in October! Dr. Katz felt the Omnitrope would be the big help with pgs results being improved so I am hoping that is what made the difference.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The are terrible and communication and their financial department has no idea what they are doing. You have to look in to your own insurance coverage and investigate yourself or you will lose money. You must be a constant advocate for yourself
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Long wait times depending on when you arrive in the monitoring window of 7am to 830 am. Efficient once you are seen.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
The cost ranged quite a bit because I had medical coverage.
Describe Seth Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Dr. Katz was clear he would only transfer one embryo at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The financial nurse told me to pay out of pocket for my meds to avoid using up my 10,000 max lifetime insurance coverage. Turns out she was wrong and it didn’t go towards it at all. We lost thousands. The nursing team forgot about me multiple times so I had delay in starting cycles or torture to get the right meds.

PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Wing is thorough and friendly. He made me feel like I was his only patient. He studied my history and made me feel like he truly cared. He developed a plan for me and went over everything with me. When my body didn’t react to certain things, he adjusted methods and informed me along the way.... My prolactin levels were very high so he started me on Cabergoline to lower them. It worked for that purpose and I still take it currently. He also put me on Femara to grow my follicles but my body didn’t react at all to it.
They [REACH] have 2 locations so it’s convenient. You can go back and forth between locations with no problem. They’re also open 7 days a week! Their finance team helps you understand what your insurance covers so you can plan for expenses. One weakness is that you talk to different nurses each time you call and you see whichever doctor is doing monitoring appointments that day when you’re doing a cycle.
PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Trust him but never be afraid to ask questions because it’s YOUR journey!
Dr. Wing takes his time when explaining things. His bedside manner is very good. He is caring and truly makes you feel like he is invested in you.
My prolactin levels were very high so he started me on Cabergoline to lower them. It worked for that purpose and I still take it currently. He also put me on Femara to grow my follicles but my body didn’t react at all to it. My first IUI cycle failed because the medicine didn’t work. Next cycle, he put me on gonal-f injections to grow my follicles and low dose hcg. He started me at 75iu of gonal-f each cycle. Sometimes he had to increase to 100 and the last cycle he increased to 125. I did a total of 2 injection cycles for IUI and neither was successful. The last cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
Denise was amazing! She is so kind and reassuring when you talk to her. You can tell she cares about her patients and their success. Some of the other nurses are very short and she is not. Some of the other nurses seem to not be very knowledgeable or give conflicting instructions. One nurse got the dosage of my 2 injections mixed up when she called to tell me I needed to increase them. Thankfully, I caught it and questioned it.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They have 2 locations so it’s convenient. You can go back and forth between locations with no problem. They’re also open 7 days a week! Their finance team helps you understand what your insurance covers so you can plan for expenses. One weakness is that you talk to different nurses each time you call and you see whichever doctor is doing monitoring appointments that day when you’re doing a cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
IUI cycle was $1000 without insurance. That includes monitoring ultrasounds, bloodwork and the insemination. Medication is not included.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
My follicles weren’t maturing so they increased my dosage. When the nurse called, she told me the units to take of each injection but got them reversed. Luckily, I knew that one of them was always higher than the other and I questioned it.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Richard Wing at REACH.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
[Dr. Whelan's] strength is looking at the previous test that I had done and wanting to confirm everything on his own. He said good things about my previous doctors but explained that some additional testing should be done to find a cause instead of going straight into a resolution. No weaknesses have been shown yet. I honestly feel like I will be able to trust him and his expertise
[REACH] Served breakfast in the lobby. Fruits, muffins, etc. I found that to be very nice since I’m a traveling patient and didn’t have time for breakfast. It’s a lot of moving around which isn’t bad but I think departments should be aligned in the order that the patient would see them...[the nurse] Made sure to explain everything in detail. Stated things verbally but also gave me a copy in writing.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
His strength is looking at the previous test that I had done and wanting to confirm everything on his own. He said good things about my previous doctors but explained that some additional testing should be done to find a cause instead of going straight into a resolution. No weaknesses have been shown yet. I honestly feel like I will be able to trust him and his expertise.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
With him everything is based around your period. This is when he will do most of his recommended testing. So I would try to book an appointment around cycle day 3 so that you can get started immediately.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He let us come into his office. Spoke to us by name without having to refer back to his paperwork to confirm our names like some doctors do. Focused on our plans and let us make decisions based on his recommendations.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Birth control will be used, he explained that it angers a lot of women because they feel that it’s a step in the wrong direction. However it’s so he can control your body and how it responds when you officially start treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica )
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
Actual cost would be determined after the prior authorization sent to my insurance. Out of pocket people would probably spend about 15,000 with medication included.
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
This will be discussed at our next appointment. I would love to transfer multiple but I do know some doctors aren’t comfortable with that. Which would be ok just wishful thinking.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH.

Dr. Johnson has been nothing but great since I’ve started my IVF journey. She always took the time to educate me on everything she did and why she was doing those things. I always felt she had my best interest at heart and never felt pressured to do anything that i didn’t want to do. She is always very professional and I’ve never felt it was about the money. From the time i walk into the facility to the time I leave it’s nothing but love.
The clinic [REACH] is always clean and the staff is always nice. Normally when contacting them through phone you will have to leave a voicemail but they will get back with you in a timely manner. Once you become a patient the patient portal is the best source of communication... Dr. Johnson’s nurse Jessica has been great. If I had any additional questions she was always available through the portal and alway got back to me in a timely manner
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She is very straight forward but don’t look at that as a negative thing. Sugar coating things aren’t always the best
From the first day of my consultation to now Dr. Johnson has been nothing but great. She has took the time to explain everything step by step and why everything she recommended was necessary. Although this process wasn’t easy being so young and of course not expecting to spend so much money just to conceive but I never felt like it was about the money to her.I love that she is compassionate but also straight to the point. Most doctors just tell you what you want to hear but Dr. Johnson has always been honest in making sure that my husband and I made the best decisions moving forward with IVF .
I haven’t started my fertility medications yet but it is coming up soon. I’ve only had testing done and a surgery
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Simmons )
Describe your experience with REACH.
The clinic is always clean and the staff is always nice. Normally when contacting them through phone you will have to leave a voicemail but they will get back with you in a timely manner. Once you become a patient the patient portal is the best source of communication
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
During most of my testing bloodwork,surgery, and specific test out of pocket so far I have spent $2500 through reach. Most of the testing and bloodwork goes through my insurance due it not being listed as fertility. My fertility medications which i haven’t started yet cost 4000. Depending on your income you can apply for compassionate care which can give you a percentage off fertility medications.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Wing is a great doctor. I felt like he answered all our questions particularly in the first consultation and did not rush.... The first two IUIs I did chlomid and trigger shot. I had a chemical pregnacy first IUI and miscarriage the 2nd. The next 6 IUIs we tried different medications and added in injectible meds. I am about to do IUI #9 before moving on to IVF and we are going back to just chlomid and trigger shot.
I think the wait time at REACH in the year plus that I have been going has increased significantly. Not sure why may because of the sheer volume of patients. I think the front desk could be a little more interactive with patients. The billing department has made a few mistakes in the my account but has fixed them in a timely manner. They are not always fast to respond though.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr Wing is a great doctor. I felt like he answered all our questions particularly in the first consultation and did not rush. When I did get pregnant he did both my ultrasounds and again answered all my questions. I really do not have a lot of negative things to say about him.
Ask questions about both IUI and IVF and request different medications if IUI does not work the first time especially if you have unexplained infertility
He was sympathetic to our situation especially after my miscarriage at 11 weeks. He was very thorough in explaining our options and what treatment would be like
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
Denise was absolutely amazing and has made this whole experience tolerable. She is so sympathetic and really just treats me as if I am her only patient. I cannot say enough good things about her. I also saw and spoke with Diane a lot who is also fantastic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
the first few IUIs were covered by insurance but once we maxed out our benefits they were $1062 each
Charlotte

Dr. Katz has made me very comfortable. He explains the reality of my infertility. He also expressed the hope he has for us which makes me feel like it is possible. I would of course love to meet with him every visit but I do not think that is realistic as the amount of patients in the office would not allow for such one on one. ... Dr. Katz has been available to speak after hours and it was easy and he spoke to me like a person and not like a stranger.
There strengths [REACH] is the availability. I am able to be seen 7 days a week. They do not delay your cycle. Weakness would be billing. It seems a bit unorganized on the office level. Billing office in florida has been able to help me retrieve accurate receipts in order to provide the. To my flex spending account. ... Selena knew exactly how to handle me. She knew I was a bit scattered from stress and she always seemed to find a way to explain everything to me before I needed to ask.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz has made me very comfortable. He explains the reality of my infertility. He also expressed the hope he has for us which makes me feel like it is possible. I would of course love to meet with him every visit but I do not think that is realistic as the amount of patients in the office would not allow for such one on one. Dr. Katz has also been very receptive to the information I have shared regarding my naturopath. He is not dismissing my hormone results she has provided to his office. I am confident that he will help us reach our end goal which is having a child
Trust the process
My first round of femara was a timed intercourse cycle which I was prescribed 5mg from days 3-7. My body did not respond well to that dosage so cycle two we moved it to days 3-9 which produced larger follicles sooner than Cycle day 18. We triggered 250mg of ovidrel. Last cycle was Femara CD3-9 and 2 ovidrel shots on CD 14.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Selena)
Describe your experience with REACH.
There strengths is the availability. I am able to be seen 7 days a week. They do not delay your cycle. Weakness would be billing. It seems a bit unorganized on the office level. Billing office in florida has been able to help me retrieve accurate receipts in order to provide the. To my flex spending account.
Timed intercourse cycle was around $600 IUI was $1200

Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
We initially started on 2.5 mg of Letrozole for cycle days 3-7 the first round I didn't ovulate. Dr katz wasted no time and for the 2nd cycle bumped me up to 7.5 for 7 days i produced 3 large follicles and trigger shot, i ovulate on my own for the first time in awhile. It didn't end in pregnancy unfortunately but i did get a period on my own which felt like a huge amount of progress . Round 3 was the same 7.5 days 3-7 made 4 mature follicles so than we did the trigger shot on cd 15 but still didn't result in pregnancy.
Billing [at REACH] can be a bit hard to get of. The clinic itself can get busy and forget to call back sometimes but they are usually pretty quick about getting back to you. Another big plus for me is that this clinic is open on the weekends. I work mostly during the week so its nice to be able to go during the weekend to get bloodwork done or ultrasounds whatever i need done. Messaging the portal is super responsive and most of the time they will make a point to get back with you even after hours. You may not always see ur dr so definitely don't expect too.
Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Although we usually don't get to actually see Dr Katz the times that we have gotten to we felt he was very compassionate and wanted to help us. We are going on our 4th round and Dr Katz is still feeling confident he can help us
ask lots of questions
Dr Katz is very straight forward and doesn't sugarcoat things but he also does have a sense of humor and both me and my husband like him very much. We genuinely feel like Dr Katz will be able to help us conceive it just might take a few rounds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Selena Gooding)
Selena is so nice, she's always quick to answer back on the portal with any questions i have. Her tone is very friendly which I appreciate. Ive only ever met her once in person but from talking to her on the phone i can tell she really cares about me. She's got excellent communication skills
Describe your experience with REACH.
Billing can be a bit hard to get of. The clinic itself can get busy and forget to call back sometimes but they are usually pretty quick about getting back to you. Another big plus for me is that this clinic is open on the weekends. I work mostly during the week so its nice to be able to go during the weekend to get bloodwork done or ultrasounds whatever i need done. Messaging the portal is super responsive and most of the time they will make a point to get back with you even after hours. You may not always see ur dr so definitely don't expect too.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Dr Katz is very understanding of our financial situation paying out of pocket and has stuck to the basics of treatments and testing evaluations. Each treatment cycle is about $600 give or take that includes the Letrozole, trigger shot, the labwork before ovulation, and the bloodwork

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
South Asian, Latino
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is very knowledgeable. He is honest from the beginning and tells you like it is. He is not there for the run around. He recommended IVF from the beginning but agreed to try IUI and see if we got lucky because it is what we chose to do first as IVF is expensive. He does what he can to help financially with his admin team. Dr. Katz is very straight to the point and I really like that about him. He is a very friendly man and knows exactly what he is doing. He gave me and always gives me hope each time. He is very patient and is always there for you.
Listen to everything he says for he is extremely knowledgeable and he has seen it all.
Dr. Katz’s team is absolutely wonderful. They are very caring and they are always at your service. They will all try to help as much as possible including phone call follow ups, hugs, and calls to show they care. The team is exceptional and they always want what is best for you. They answer all your questions and treat you like you are important.
I started with comid for 5 days and a trigger shot to do an IUI. I did this for 2 rounds. I have mild PCOS and my husband has a low sperm count. He recommended IVF and not to waste more money on another IUI as we have no coverage for it and had to pay out of pocket.
The nursing staff is what makes his team absolutely amazing. They are who you see more than anyone and luckily I got the best. Every single nurse on Dr. Katz’s team is phenomenal. They are caring, detailed, and helpful with this hard process we go through. They will do anything it takes to make you feel comfortable and part of a family.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The only thing I would change is the office staff. The first time we walked into REACH we were there for our very first consultation. As nervous as we were we were hoping to see smiles and welcoming staff when we first walked in. That isn’t what we got. The front desk wasn’t very friendly nor approachable. If you ask me that is the first thing that makes a clinic great is the customer service. The front desk was very snippy and wasn’t helpful with questions or information. Another financial member was also very unfriendly and rude. We chose to deal with another financial advisor from the clinic and thankfully she is amazing which is who we deal with now.
IUI $800 and IVF $12,300

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Seth Katz at REACH.

he [Dr. Joseph Whelan] explains things very throuroghy and answers all my questions. There have been several appointments where he stayed past our appointment time so we got all our questions answered...He is very thorough and knowledgeable...He is very matter of fact and blunt, but does want the best for you. He isn't present at every monitoring visit and occasionally it may be hard to get a response...My body has responded and follicles have grown after the Clomid. My first round I did take a progesterone test and confirmed that I did ovulate which means the trigger shot did it's job.
[The nurse at REACH is] always friendly and responsive...One time I came in for a visit and they had it down as an embyo transfer visit. We are just doing medicated cycles. They fixed it right away and I was still seen..., my HSG was about $2,000 because I had to do it at a hospital...Billing can be a pain...But the hours are convenient. Monitoring can have a long wait, but I like that it's drop-in in the morning before I go to work. I also like that you can do everything in the building. Lab staff is also friendly. It is easy to schedule and I like using their online portal.
European, South Asian
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is very thorough and knowledgeable. He will take the time to explain things. He will explain your options and give you time to decide what you want to do. He is very matter of fact and blunt, but does want the best for you. He isn't present at every monitoring visit and occasionally it may be hard to get a response.
Don't expect the warm and fuzziest, but expect honesty and answers.
Leading up to the visit, it can feel like you're a number, but once I get to talk to my doctor, he explains things very throuroghy and answers all my questions. There have been several appointments where he stayed past our appointment time so we got all our questions answered.
I have done monitored medicated cycles with Clomid 50 mg and an Ovidrel trigger shot. We chose this due to our budget. Currently in my second cycle. My body has responded and follicles have grown after the Clomid. My first round I did take a progesterone test and confirmed that I did ovulate which means the trigger shot did it's job. However, we did not result in a pregnancy. So far this round, I had two mature follicles before triggering and now we're waiting for results. The doctor told us it may take 3-5 rounds to get pregnant using this method.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica)
She's always friendly and responsive.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It feels sterile when you first go and be prepared to talk about financing first. Billing can be a pain. And there have been some mix-ups at check-in for me like having me down for the wrong type of visit. But the hours are convenient. Monitoring can have a long wait, but I like that it's drop-in in the morning before I go to work. I also like that you can do everything in the building. Lab staff is also friendly. It is easy to schedule and I like using their online portal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
It's been about $220 plus $220 for meds each monitored medicated round. That includes ultrasound and copays. Before treatment, my HSG was about $2,000 because I had to do it at a hospital.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
One time I came in for a visit and they had it down as an embyo transfer visit. We are just doing medicated cycles. They fixed it right away and I was still seen. I was also awaiting results. When I got a call back, they started to give me protocol info and then added to come in for an IUI. We weren't doing an IUI which I said right away. She apologized and acknowledged that was incorrect.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
I felt like I didn’t see Dr Johnson during the critical moments. HSG, IUI, SIS were all under someone else...After both surgeries she used a balloon catheter and hormone therapy and antibiotic...septum was never fully removed after 2 surgeries and both tubes had been blocked due to last attempt at dr Johnson’s surgery...I was very upset that she never told me she was pregnant. In December (while planning my 2nd surgery) I finally asked if she was expecting. She said yes
Becky [nurse at REACH] was AMAZING!!! I’ll never forget her reassuring me “you don’t give up!” And holding my arm as I cried walking down the office following the ultrasound to show our baby was gone. She was so sweet...I was also upset the day I went in for my IUI and was shocked to find out a NURSE was going to perform such an intimate, important thing and not my RE that I had formed a relationship with. Dr. Johnson also seemed cold hearted when I lost the baby I conceived under her care.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained, Other
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I was very upset that she never told me she was pregnant. In December (while planning my 2nd surgery) I finally asked if she was expecting. She said yes and she in January so then I had to ask who would I be under during her leave. She had only removed 1 complete septum before mine. Insisted that I have a SIS to see if scarring had occurred after. I pay $1000 for the test, told no scar tissue so start TTC with just a Ovidrel shot. Pregnant first try! Miscarriage 7 weeks later. Pay $1000 for another test to show scar tissue did come back... have the entire surgery performed by her again 2months later. Declined to pay for another test after. Start femara, Ovidrel, eventually include and IUI back to only meds, no pregnancy. Get 2nd opinion by Dr. Hurst...septum was never fully removed after 2 surgeries and both tubes had been blocked due to last attempt at dr Johnson’s surgery.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I recommend researching her. Does she have a lot of experience with what you need to conceive? Are you ok with your RE possibly randomly becoming pregnant and having to cross that awkward bridge? Are you ok with her not showing a lot of emotion when you see an empty sac on the ultrasound and then go back after natural miscarriage?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
After both surgeries she used a balloon catheter and hormone therapy and antibiotic. Dr. Hurst did none of the above. He also guides and directs whereas Johnson seems to go with whatever you say and not lead you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was AMAZING!!! I’ll never forget her reassuring me “you don’t give up!” And holding my arm as I cried walking down the office following the ultrasound to show our baby was gone. She was so sweet.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The office did not seem organized. Poor communication with billing. Small waiting area. Front desk ladies always seemed unhappy to be working there. You’re always a number to them, not a mom in the making who’s hurting. The office was always clean and spelled sanitized
Not sure maybe around $6000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
During my HSG the nurse practitioner they assigned to me did not know what she was doing! After 5 catheters and MULTIPLE attempts to get catheter in my cervix she finally called a more experienced Doctor. After his first try (using the 6th catheter) they finally got the catheter in. This was very painful! The nurse practitioner they assigned to me to remove my balloon catheter seemed like she was not experienced in this area. She pulled and tugged for a while, after I was to the point of tear she left and brought in dr Johnson who was able to release a little more fluid out of the balloon and then quick snatch to remove catheter (again this was more painful than it should have been). I also was upset that Dr Johnson was there and available yet couldn’t take 10min out of her day to remove my father herself. I was also upset the day I went in for my IUI and was shocked to find out a NURSE was going to perform such an intimate, important thing and not my RE that I had formed a relationship with. Dr. Johnson also seemed cold hearted when I lost the baby I conceived under her care.
Charlotte

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH.

She [Dr. Lauren Johnson] is a good balance of candid and compassionate. She maintains good eye contact and she really listens to what you are asking. The only drawback is usually they were running behind schedule.... She took the time to answer ALL my questions (and I ask a lot of them!). She was willing to make a specialized plan based on our personal goals and beliefs.... We tried several IUIs and none of them resulted in pregnancy, but she was open to whatever we wanted to try- IUI or IVF.
Strengths- Patient Portal Weaknesses-Their billing department is the biggest rain wreck I have ever seen. I have repeatedly been double-billed, billed for the difference between the total charges and the allowed amount by my insurance (pretty sure this is illegal?) and billed for things I do not really owe. Once, I count as a mistake. Repeated offenses start to feel like they are trying to take advantage of you. Their billing mess has repeatedly made me want to leave the practice, but they have an office close to my home so we have stayed with them.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is a good balance of candid and compassionate. She maintains good eye contact and she really listens to what you are asking. The only drawback is usually they were running behind schedule.
She is one of the more balanced providers at REACH, meaning not too blunt, but not too soft in her approach.
One who does the callbacks always sounds breathless and rushed. Which I am sure she is in a hurry, but the questions I am asking and the things we are discussing are literally life-changing for me, so I have been disappointed that she always tries to just be rushing to get off the phone with me.
IUI is 1,026. Plus meds.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
We have not done IVF yet (we will in a few months), but she said we will do a single embryo transfer for the first 2 attempts.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Like I said before, the billing department is horrible.
Charlotte

Dr. Katz was very helpful during consultation appointments. Answered all questions thoroughly and put us at ease. However, during the monitoring appointments, I often left the office unsure of the treatment plan. ... It felt like I was ushered in and out so that more patients could be seen. At times it felt like the doctors and nurses [REACH] did not want to answer my questions. ...
Once I had my vasovagal reaction during my 2nd IUI with a RN, my primary RE ... and his team were not notified of the reaction and no note was placed in my chart. ... The financial department is unorganized, rude, and not helpful. They often bill you incorrectly. The lab department is wonderful and caring but somewhat unorganized. The front office staff is kind and always smiling. ... I have not had IVF but I have completed an IVF consultation. My clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time. ...
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Stay on top of your healthcare and your treatment plan.
It felt like I was ushered in and out so that more patients could be seen. At times it felt like the doctors and nurses did not want to answer my questions.
Each cycle I did letrozole 5mg PO CD3-7 with an ovidrel trigger. I have done 3 cycles with this protocol and 3 IUIs. My 1st and 2nd cycle was completed by a RN. The 2nd cycle I experienced a horrible vasovagal reaction, passed out, lips turned blue according to the RN. The RN actually left me in the room alone with my wife at one point. And no physician of provider ever came to assess me prior to leaving the office. After this we decided to take several months off from the process. Once we finally started back, only the physician was allowed to complete my IUI due to my complaint about my treatment with the reaction.
Communication is a definite weakness. The nurses were late releasing my lab results and treatment plan into my portal and were often rude when returning phone calls. My reaction to my second IUI also made me question the quality of nursing care. I am a nurse and I know how I expect to be treated after a vasovagal reaction and unfortunately I do not feel I received adequate care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
I do not remember the specifics.
I have not had IVF but I have completed an IVF consultation. My clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time. I personally prefer 2 embryos be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Once I had my vasovagal reaction during my 2nd IUI with a RN, my primary RE (Dr. Katz) and his team were not notified of the reaction and no note was placed in my chart. It wasn't until I spoke with a different nurse and asked her what would be changed to prevent it from happening and I realized she did not know about the reaction. Neither did Dr. Katz. At that point I lost faith in my care for a little while.

Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
Dr Crain seemed very knowledgeable on treatment processes and straightforward in communicating the issues in fertility we were having and best course of action. However this straightforwardness was also a weak point as the shock of infertility is very sensitive time and Dr Crain communicated in a very blunt medical speak way that didn't show any compassion for the situation.
Monitoring appointments [at REACH- Charlotte] required you to be there on a first come first serve basis in the morning for doors to open at 7am, if not there early then you would be waiting sometimes significant amount of time.... Clinic is only clinic in Charlotte and through our visits it felt like they took advantage of it. Pricing was never straightforward. When you first visit they lay it out on what your expected total cost will be for treatment, but then you're told you should probably do this test, and then another test, that eventually add up to significant amounts on top of what you already planned for. Of course you'll agree to do these tests because you want to do whatever you can to have a successful procedure, but after doing research on these items and what they were suggesting we felt like we got shafted on a number of items.
Endometriosis, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Jack Crain at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jack Crain at REACH?
For patients preferring blunt facts and straightforward approach to treatment along with strong opinions on best next steps Dr Crain is the right Dr.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jack Crain at REACH?
Dr didn't appear to always be prepared with details of our case or recall conversations we had in past.
Nursing staff was very friendly although communication was not always timely
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments required you to be there on a first come first serve basis in the morning for doors to open at 7am, if not there early then you would be waiting sometimes significant amount of time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Concerns mostly had to do with straightforwardness and transparency in pricing, writing prescriptions for more drugs then actually needed as part of cycle.
Jack Crain
Charlotte

He [Dr. Seth Katz] is supportive and understanding, and I would recommend him to anyone. I appreciate his attention to current research, and the encouragement he provided to me in becoming a single parent...he is not judgemental, only encouraging...As a doctor myself I know how difficult it can be to communicate efficiently and listen to the patient. Dr. Katz, listens, is up to date on current research and has a wealth of experience in the field of fertility. He is compassionate, and encouraging. My trust in him is complete and I recommend his care to anyone.
The wait time to become a patient [at REACH] is not very long, however be aware of the doctor you are seeing and their “mindset” and experience. A weakness is that I cannot call 24/7 and start an IUI at a moments notice...this is a ridiculous weakness, as they always respond to my portal messages. The clinic is always open, no matter what. Snow storms, hurricanes, as long as you can make it there safely they will be there for you.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is one of the leading fertility doctors in Charlotte. He is supportive and understanding, and I would recommend him to anyone. I appreciate his attention to current research, and the encouragement he provided to me in becoming a single parent. I am also a doctor, practicing in a different field, and Dr. Katz has a way with patients that cannot be taught...it comes with exprerience as well as a born-with-it talent. He listens to his patients! When you truly listen to someone as a doctor, the problem, diagnosis and treatment becomes obvious.
Do not be afraid of a consult. Information is key, and why not be more informed? This doctor has done his homework, so just show up, tell him your concerns and issues, and trust him.
Dr. Katz is an amazing doctor. As a doctor myself I know how difficult it can be to communicate efficiently and listen to the patient. Dr. Katz, listens, is up to date on current research and has a wealth of experience in the field of fertility. He is compassionate, and encouraging. My trust in him is complete and I recommend his care to anyone.
I have low AMH and am 34 years old. I have undergone an egg freezing procedure at another clinic where we retrieved 5 eggs. I was ok with my care, but knew I did not want to go through this again. Dr. Katz has known me for a few years (i had an hsg after an ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago) at his clinic. He can recommended to me because he is encouraging to single mothers and families with various dynamics...in other words he is not judgemental, only encouraging. I found this to be true in his manner as well as the staff at Reach.
They cannot call you 24/7! They are amazing. I cannot complain. I emailed them constantly and they always answered, and were extremely kind.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It is expensive, however, you get what you pay for. The clinic is comfortable...the staff is kind and the doctors are wonderful. You will come home with a baby. Tell the staff a bit about your situation when you schedule a first visit. There are certain doctors that work better for certain situations. I am a single female, seeking to become a mother, and i would highly recommend Dr. Katz. The wait time to become a patient is not very long, however be aware of the doctor you are seeing and their “mindset” and experience. A weakness is that I cannot call 24/7 and start an IUI at a moments notice...this is a ridiculous weakness, as they always respond to my portal messages. The clinic is always open, no matter what. Snow storms, hurricanes, as long as you can make it there safely they will be there for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
The cost of an IUi is about 960. The cost of egg freezing through Reach is about 6,000 not counting medication.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The only thing that was a little difficult was getting some information sent over to another clinic, but this was very minor.

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Seth Katz at REACH.

I was so grateful that he [Dr. Whelan] was able to provide me with exact causation, through blood panels, to explain the physiological changes I had undergone since I had stopped taking my birth control... He has a great way of explaining things in such detail that you can tell he's really knowledgeable on the subject, but also isn't throwing jargon at you to make it confusing. I have had a pretty lengthy period of just getting from my first visit at REACH to the start of the stimulants for IVF, so I have seen Dr Whelan a decent amount of times, but not each visit is with him personally, which is okay because he doesn't necessarily need to be by my side for each ultrasound. Anytime we met with Dr Whelan, I never left feeling confused about our next steps.
She [nurse at REACH] always called when she said she would, always checked up when she said she would, provided great communication and assistance when needed (issue with billing)...The monitoring portion experience was really hit or miss. Sometimes I'd go in right when they'd open and have only a few people in front of me in line, and sometime's I'd go in and there'd be 25 people there
European, Latino, Native American
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
I'm so lucky that I was paired with Dr Whelan at my first visit to REACH! I honestly felt like I had done a ton of research on my PCOS condition before meeting with Dr Whelan, but he provided so much more information than I was able to find on my own online. I was so grateful that he was able to provide me with exact causation, through blood panels, to explain the physiological changes I had undergone since I had stopped taking my birth control . My regular OB wanted me to just keep trying naturally to have a baby, even after diagnosing the PCOS, but luckily I used my gut instinct and made an appointment at REACH because we found out that we also had a male infertility factor at play, and some of my hormones were so off the chart, that conceiving naturally just wouldn't have been an option. He has a great way of explaining things in such detail that you can tell he's really knowledgeable on the subject, but also isn't throwing jargon at you to make it confusing. I have had a pretty lengthy period of just getting from my first visit at REACH to the start of the stimulants for IVF, so I have seen Dr Whelan a decent amount of times, but not each visit is with him personally, which is okay because he doesn't necessarily need to be by my side for each ultrasound. Anytime we met with Dr Whelan, I never left feeling confused about our next steps.
He loves to talk. So make time in your schedule. Don't be rushed.
When you get your office time with the Doctor himself, he is very thorough with you and doesn't seemed rushed to get to his next patient. He covers everything in so much more detail than you could find online. His bedside manner is such that he doesn't seem like he's babying you too much, but will give it to you straight.
IVF with Frozen egg transfer and ICSI Prescribed Gonal-F (150units to start then upped to 225 for the last 3 days), Cetrotide (used 6 boxes), and HCG (20ml). Ended up with 31 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Two: Veronica and Melissa)
Dr Whelan had two nurses that I saw regularly, Veronica and Melissa. Veronica I saw more before we started the actual IVF procedures, as Melissa is Dr Whelan's IVF nurse. She always called when she said she would, always checked up when she said she would, provided great communication and assistance when needed (issue with billing).
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths - Dr Whelan, availability, location, good communication between Doctors and Nursing team Weaknesses - BILLING DEPARTMENT! If you look up any reviews online, all the negative ones are related to billing. Honestly, I'm still so confused about my standings with this company's billing department. It doesn't help that their billing department is not located here for me to just talk to someone, and my Financial Counselor was little help. The put a rush on you to pay for treatments to begin, which doesn't leave any time for your insurance company to get squared away with their existing claims. They tried to get me to overpay by almost $1000 for my services because their information on how much of my deductible I had already met was severely off. So instead they just said, just pay the "non-billable" portion and we'll get started. So I did. Then I requested an updated bill for my IVF cycle and they said, we'll just bill you at the end. I've asked twice now for the total cost so I can just pay it outright and they won't do it. They double billed me for my first visit and I paid the portion it said I owed. Then the insurance company ended up paying it and we were supposed to get a refund check, which I told them was fine if they wanted to just put it as a credit on the account, but I'm not sure that even happened. After I hear back about my first egg retrieval I'll be calling them again to get a detailed account report to explain where we stand.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
The monitoring portion experience was really hit or miss. Sometimes I'd go in right when they'd open and have only a few people in front of me in line, and sometime's I'd go in and there'd be 25 people there. They only see people from 7-9 (sometimes I was quoted 8:30) to ensure they get same day results back (which I understand), but they should have more staff available to get people in and out. With my job, sometimes I didn't have the option to be at work past 8am, which made it difficult. My first visit I got there around 7:20 (as I thought they opened at 7:15) and didn't make it to work until 8:40am. They do things so quickly that I wish they had a little more time to be more personable about your visit. On my 13th day of stimulants,I was greeted by the same limp-wristed handshake of a PA and her standardized questions ("How are you today? I'm ____ and I'll be doing your ultrasound today. How are the medications going?"), and at that point, I just felt like crying. I didn't feel like a person but a number, and I was already stressed and uninformed about why I was not ready for my trigger shot for egg retrieval, and the fact that she didn't even pretend to remember who I was, since I had just seen her less than 24 hours before, was frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
My insurance coverage is 90/10 after a $1500 deductible. I spent almost $1200 out of my HRA account for all of my visits before even starting the first IVF cycle. I was originally quoted around $2900 for my out of pocket portion, including a $1K non-billable piece. However, what I was quoted as my coinsurance and remaining deductible was not correct. It should have been more around $1900. At this point, instead of correcting it before making the payment to start my treatment, they told me to just pay the $1K non-billable and they'll bill the rest, so I'll just owe a balance at the end. I was encouraged to pay for my medications out of pocket versus using insurance as they'd likely jack up the price on the meds, and I only have a $15K lifetime maximum on infertility treatments. The total cost of my medications was $2400 purchased from SMP Pharmacy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
1. Double billed for services. Have not received refund check. 2. Asked to pay more for services based on what they found as my deductible contributions as of that date. 3. Quoted strange figures related to a negative "balance" on my account. (I think they used my payment for the Non-Billable portion of the IVF treatments to start paying bills for services).

Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor [Dr. Lauren Johnson] very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs... she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
I generally like my nurse [at REACH], but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover...A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
Anovulation, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I love doctor Johnson, she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
Schedule ahead of time if you need a consultation! She's very busy!
I felt like a human in that my nurse and doctor took the time to always ask how I am, they always took the time to explain everything and make sure I understood what was happening. I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs. Also, when I had my chemical pregnancy, my nurse (who always called to relay info and make appts) basically refused to call me back to answer questions and would only answer through email as if she was afraid to interact with an emotional woman (even though I didn't act emotional) Also, the practice has switched from having doctors do monitoring ultrasounds to having PAs do it, and they are fairly cold. They don't share as much about what your ultrasound looks like as the doctors.
Our over all strategy for treatment was to be as minimal as possible because my partner and I are not high income. We did several medicated and monitored cycles with letrozole and clomid (during different cycles) we also used an ovidrel shot for each of those. When they didn't work we moved up to IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel. Our first try did not work, nor the second. Our third was cancelled because I only developed an egg on a blocked tube, but I actually got pregnant that cycle! This time around I tried 4 medicated cycles, then we moved up to IUI with letrozole, Gonal F, and Ovidrel. The first was a fail, the second we added progesterone and a higher dose of Gonal F. It resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We took a month off after, and are planning to do one more IUI before moving on to IVF because of my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
I generally like my nurse, but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is generally very good, they are compassionate, thorough, and will keep your best interest in mind with everything they do, but they could use some changes in the financial department in how they take payment there's difficulty in getting in touch with the financial counselor and they could be more up-front with their prices.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
We were completely out of pocket with cost. A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
My doctor would change protocol without discussing it first. Medicated cycles are significantly cheaper than IUI, and we would have liked more warning about needing to scratch together payment.
Charlotte

Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating.... I feel the two nurses I had at REACH is what made my experience pleasant. They were caring and attentive. They cheered me on and rooted for me as we went through each IUI. They embraced me with a hug which made me feel like they truly cared about me. They were really good about providing me all the right imformation.
European, Other
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
My experience overall with Dr. Johnson has been good. I wish that she had performed all my IUI’s but only did 1 out of the 6. She was good at explaining the treatments but I really felt like she was not good at maneuvering through every Tilly treatment and that is not going according to textbook. I had polyps growing in my uterus that they were monitoring during the first 3 IUI’s and I think a lot fell through the cracks because it took 3 IUI’s to determine if the polyps were growing or not. I feel like we wasted those 3 IUI’s. She also didn’t mention anything about an injectable IUI till we had done 5 IUI’s and were discussing with her about moving forward with IVF. I feel like some things fell through the cracks because she wasn’t there performing all my IUI’s. I see now how important that was to me. I think things would have been caught and resolved a lot sooner. She is very thorough when it comes to explaining all that the fertility treatments will entail. I would t say that she’s compassionate but more to the point. Very type A personality. During one of our appointments we had to wait for 2 hours because someone misscheduled our appointment with her to discuss IVF. They kept giving us he run around for 2 hours saying that she’s almost ready for us but they were just stalling us. I feel like that was more fault on the clinic and not the Dr. but it would’ve been nice for her to offer to not have us pay for our appointment since we had to wait so long.
Do your research before going to see any RE because I feel once you know what the fertility treatments are all about then you can ask the right questions. I feel like I went in not knowing much and wish I did so that I could ask more targeted questions.
I feel like I fall somewhere in between here. I don’t feel like Dr. Johnson treated me like a number but the clinic does. The front desk staff are not friendly but I’ve had wonderful, caring nurses that took great care of me. When I first started at this clinic I thought that Dr. Johnson would perform all my fertility treatments but that was not the case. Out of the six IUI’s we did she only performed one of them.
For the first 5 IUI’s we did the following protocol: clomid (only for the 1st IUI because both my husband and I had horrible dry eyes from it — they switched me to letrozole and my husband to anastrozole. I haven’t noticed any severe symptoms on these medications.) We both came into the clinic for bloodwork and I did an internal ultrasound. I came back into the clinic 2 more times for bloodwork and internal ultrasound before the actual IUI procedure. I would take the letrozole for 5 days and then do an ovidrel injection (trigger shot) 2 days before the IUI. They would call and tell me based on my bloodwork and ultrasound when I would need to come in for the IUI. For our last fertility treatment we did an injectable IUI. It’s like a regular IUI but with more injections. We had very similar monitoring but I had to keep coming back every other day for them to monitor my follicles because they were growing a little slower. They originally said that I would have 4 injections total but did 7 total because my follicles were growing slowly. I did 6 gonal-f infections at 50mg each and one ovidrel injection. All my IUI’s were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky and Salina)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating especially if they find things that are wrong and not going according to their regular protocol.
IUI — $1000 Ovidrel — $100 Letrozole — $10 or under Gonal-f — $300-400
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The biggest thing is when we had a scheduled appointment with Dr. Johnson to discuss IVF they gave us the runaround for two hours while we waited. We would ask them every 20 minutes or so and they kept telling us that she’s almost ready for us and they kept doing that for two hours. They also never told us reactions that I could have with certain medications and both my husband and I reacted negatively with Clomid.
Charlotte

Dr. Johnson was very straight-forward and efficient when it came to our treatment, but she never made it feel like it was because she has more things to do. Rather, she wanted to make sure our time was used wisely and wanted to make us as comfortable as possible.... Dr. Johnson sets the treatment course and monitors progress, but a nurse actually completed the insemination.... Dr. Johnson has incredible bedside manner. She is warm and welcoming and you can tell she truly cares about her patients and gets to know them very well.
REACH is definitely the most known clinic in our area, and there is a reason. Their team of doctors, nurses and staff are incredibly caring and compassionate. They are efficient and honest, and make you feel good about the choices you make and your treatment options. If you don't have the money to start treatment, they do not pressure or make you feel bad.... The nurses always called when they said they would and have always responded to my messages and questions when I had them.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson has always been very caring and honest with us. I think that a lot of times, doctors at this clinic are a bit more hands off with the IUI process, not for a lack of caring, but because it is not as costly, nor is it as complicated/complex. Dr. Johnson sets the treatment course and monitors progress, but a nurse actually completed the insemination. However, since we have been having conversations and getting prepared for the IVF process, if she was not present at my ultrasounds, then it was another doctor who completed the appointment. = Dr. Johnson has incredible bedside manner. She is warm and welcoming and you can tell she truly cares about her patients and gets to know them very well. Our personalities are very similar and it really helps us click with her in the patient/doctor relationship.
Sometimes she can move a little fast when describing things, but it is because she is trying to be efficient with time and not rush. Do not be afraid to ask questions, she will always answer them. She is very sweet and caring and you will love having her as a doctor.
We completed two IUI cycles with Clomid, based on my husband's sperm count. However, after 2 IUI cycles, it was noticed that his count significantly decreased, which is why IUI did not work either time. After this IVF became our next course of treatment. We will be starting the IVF process soon. Dr. Johnson has told us that with how low my husband's sperm count it, natural conception is not likely to every happen for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
The nurses always called when they said they would and have always responded to my messages and questions when I had them. They were always very informed about my treatment plan and would organize everything for me according to Dr. Johnson.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
IUI was about 1200 per cycle. An IVF cycle with egg retrieval was 13500, and a frozen embryo transfer is about 3000. None of these costs include medication. Any visits that have to do with the treatment cycle are covered through the cost of treatment.
Dr. Johnson mentioned that given my age, she would like to only transfer one embryo. However, we have discussed that if we have to do another cycle, that we would transfer 2 embryos. She said that as women get older, they are more likely to always implant more than one embryo.

Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
I don't think he [Dr. Whelan] could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient...he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own"
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they [REACH] had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He had too many patients and didn't take a one-on-one approach, he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own" and was recommending we look into donor eggs or embryos. I think he is fully capable and intelligent, but the treatments were a little to one size fits all. If you are a difficult case, I wouldn't recommend him.
Get second opinions!
I don't think he could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient.
IVF cycle follistim, HGH, cetrotide and menopur. Only PIO to prep for a fresh transfer. He didn't share is rationale for that treatment cycle.
There were many, I don't think I really knew any of them or that they really knew me. They were nice enough I guess, but had too many patients.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare. They have way too many patients, there were visits where I waited more than 2 hours to be seen. My doctor was even almost an hour late to my 7am surgery. Treatments are too generic, didn't feel like they took their time with me, they had to stick to a schedule.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
It depended, so days were horrible and the wait was an hour or more, other days it wasn't bad. If I got there right when the doors opened it really didn't impact my day. Too many patients.
I don't remember costs.
We didn't have that discussion because we didn't have enough strong embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
They got dates incorrect for my treatment and I was traveling out of town. Luckily there was a fertility clinic I could go to where I was traveling to be monitored. They have sent me incorrect instructions on treatment or sent me someone else's treatment information.
Charlotte

Dr. Johnson knew our case and was very sensitive to how hard infertility can hit someone. She answered all of our questions and always called us back if we had any issues. ... Dr. Johnson gave me a hysteroscopy in order to remove polyps. She also did my complete retrieval. I had many good eggs, but my husband's sperm were less than stellar. (We didn't even know he had them until right then when they did sperm aspiration.)
Monitoring was offered first thing in the morning. I had to drive 2 hours each way, and was always in and out very quickly! ... The only issue we encountered was some discrepancy in the billing, which was remedied with a quick phone call. Each appointment [REACH] was quick, and results were given in a timely manner. They let us make final decisions on anything, while giving us great counsel, but not pressuring us into anything that we didn't want. ...
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson was very personable. She also woke up in the middle of the night to call me in another prescription when I left mine out of town. We had some unexpected complications and she adjusted accordingly.
Trust her judgement.
Dr. Johnson gave me a hysteroscopy in order to remove polyps. She also did my complete retrieval. I had many good eggs, but my husband's sperm were less than stellar. (We didn't even know he had them until right then when they did sperm aspiration.) When we only ended up with one embryo, she highly suggested we go ahead and do a three day fresh transfer instead of our planned frozen transfer. I ended up with a chemical pregnancy, but Dr. Johnson did everything she could. She also met with us afterwards to come up with our next game plan, which included a varicoselectomy for my husband. (She had suggested it before, but we had chosen to go ahead without it.)
The nurses were wonderful! They were always ready for me during my appointments, and made sure that I was in and out as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The doctors and nurses were all wonderful! The only issue we encountered was some discrepancy in the billing, which was remedied with a quick phone call. Each appointment was quick, and results were given in a timely manner. They let us make final decisions on anything, while giving us great counsel, but not pressuring us into anything that we didn't want.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Normal IVF costs; we compared multiple clinics and REACH had lower pricing than all of the clinics in our area.
She counseled us about the difference, and highly suggested single embryo transfer for our particular situation.

Male Factor, Other
She [Dr. Matrika Johnson] got to know me as a person, understood how I liked to hear information and how I’d react. She treated my husband the same way and he actually enjoyed coming to the appointments to see her... made me feel like there was always hope. She is thorough, direct and still lighthearted. She made it a point to get to know me and my husband as people and as a couple. She listened to all of our questions and concerns and would even adjust her plan to compromise if ever needed. Dr J is an amazing doctor and person who made our journey amazing.
They [staff at REACH] want you to be as informed as you can be walking into this journey. The front desk staff makes an effort to get to know you. They take any questions or concerns to heart and adjusts as necessary. (I.e. I had a tough time with one of the women in the lab drawing blood who always left bruises and they made sure that my name was always called by the other technician if she was there)
Male Factor, Other
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr J is a young, vibrant doctor who made me feel like there was always hope. She is thorough, direct and still lighthearted. She made it a point to get to know me and my husband as people and as a couple. She listened to all of our questions and concerns and would even adjust her plan to compromise if ever needed. Dr J is an amazing doctor and person who made our journey amazing.
Be prepared not to have sugar coated information. She likes to get to the point, solve the current hiccup and figure out the best way to have a positive result!
She got to know me as a person, understood how I liked to hear information and how I’d react. She treated my husband the same way and he actually enjoyed coming to the appointments to see her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
There was a bit of turn over when we first started that ended up with a lack of communication. However, when Jessica was assigned to our case she jumped right in and made sure that never happened again. She had great bedside manner and got to know us just as much as dr J.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is fantastic. At your first appointment you not only have a thorough sit down with your future doctor but also with the financial counselor. They want you to be as informed as you can be walking into this journey. The front desk staff makes an effort to get to know you. They take any questions or concerns to heart and adjusts as necessary. (I.e. I had a tough time with one of the women in the lab drawing blood who always left bruises and they made sure that my name was always called by the other technician if she was there)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
There was a general monitoring window first thing in the morning. Yes if you showed up at 7am there would be a line at the door (usually the same 3-4 women). However, if you go around 730, you miss the rush. Either way, they know what they’re doing and it is well run and timely. They don’t rush you out of your room either if you have questions about your ultrasound. They make sure you understand prior to heading to the next patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Due to our insurance coverage, the most cost for us ended up being my medications. Unfortunately the pharmacy they suggest (encompassRx) wasn’t covered fully but with the customer service they provided, it was totally worth the extra few dollars. My insurance covers more under Freedom Fertility but when I couldn’t even get someone to answer the phone there or leave a message, I went straight to encompass.
My husband and I had tossed around an idea to have a multiple embryo transfer. Dr J was against it and explained the risks and complications for someone of my size. I had complications at 31 weeks with just one so I am very thankful for her sticking to her guns!