7.2

19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874

2016 - 2020, Unsuccessful
I love the fact that she[Dr. Matrika Johnson] is willing to make time and speak with you. even though we were previous patients that left the facility and then returned she never made us feel bad about seeking help elsewhere and was more than willing to meet with us and pick up service with her. ... Original visit in 2016 with dr. Johnson was a hsg test and my husband had a semen analysis. We did a lot of blood work Frankie & him. I never really had any other treatment. In 2020 they did a semen analysis for my husband and we haven't had any other work done through this office
weakness [of REACH] is definitely the financial department as it took more than four or five estimates for them to get me the correct estimate and if you're not immediately prepared to pay for everything right then, then it seems the financial department has braces you to the side and I was actually told, "Call us when you've got the money ready." ... Strengths are having someone like nurse Harrell as a go between them and a support system for the patients. She does a great job early explaining things that he may be confused about and if she doesn't know the answer she will most certainly speak directly with your doctor and get back to you.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
I love the fact that Dr. Matrika Johnson is compassion to the need a very sickening IVF or infertility treatment. I love the fact that she is willing to make time and speak with you. even though we were previous patients that left the facility and then returned she never made us feel bad about seeking help elsewhere and was more than willing to meet with us and pick up service with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Have your money ready and be ready to move immediately otherwise you'll be placed in the back and almost forgotten about
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson is very sweet and matter of fact and to the point. I know she has a large caseload because I am in a fertility as for her patience. But I think in order to remain professional at all times the course of action is a little more by the book to avoid a show of favoritism and it comes across and you feeling like just a number.
Describe the protocols Matrika Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Harrell)
Stephanie was absolutely wonderful. I could ask her question after question and she was always open and receptive to answering me. Even after we left and months later I could email her back with questions and she would get back to me really quick. I was really glad to have her cooking with me as a go-between.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths are having someone like nurse Harrell as a go between them and a support system for the patients. She does a great job early explaining things that he may be confused about and if she doesn't know the answer she will most certainly speak directly with your doctor and get back to you. weakness is definitely the financial department as it took more than four or five estimates for them to get me the correct estimate and if you're not immediately prepared to pay for everything right then, then it seems the financial department has braces you to the side and I was actually told, "Call us when you've got the money ready."
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Finances has been one of the biggest issues I've had with dealing with this office. I've been given several different estimates for the same services because the financial department did not take the time to contact my insurance and get the correct information. I work for the same company that provides my insurance so I need my benefits going in and they did not believe that I have coverage when I did so I had to call the insurance company and have the insurance company reach out to them to get the correct information then I was told I didn't have good coverage and I do and so I had to stay on the financial department about getting in touch with my insurance and getting the correct amount and type of coverage I have. Right now I don't know what my final estimate would be for getting service through REACH because the most current estimate I've received is still inaccurate
Describe Matrika Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
I actually was not given a choice. I would prefer multiple egg transfer but my doctor's philosophy is you're trying to get a child so we're going to transfer a egg. Doing more than one transfer would be a waste.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
We had to call multiple times to get the results of my husbands semen analysis test and they forgot to call in his prescription. My husband had to reschedule his first appointment and there was a mix-up and getting that done and the agent that helped him my schedule his appointment is very very rude to me and trying to assist my husband and getting things reschedule. She made it seem like I had no business calling on behalf of my husband.we are trying to get things financed to me for with donor egg transfer but because we don't have the exact amount of money required, how about that amount continues to change, we could almost no contact or feedback from the clinic unless I initiate.
Matrika Johnson
Charlotte

Dr. Wing used the standard protocol for all our care. He never changed the protocol for IUI even though we were unsuccessful. He also used standard protocol for Ivf. Birth control then gonal f, low dose HCG, cetrotide, HCG and Lupron trigger...He was very matter of fact and robotic. I felt no connection to him. I get he just did the same y’all he always did and he never knew specifics about us. He would have to look back after I would tell him something. He forgot I even had a chemical pregnancy.
Long waits [at REACH] depended on what time you arrived in the monitoring period...Poor communication and terrible financial department. They will send random bills that make no sense. I just stopped paying them till I got a second bill which would be a totally different amount. They have improved their communication on the phone but the Ivf team has really been the improvement. You have to stay on top of everything to make sure it is done right.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
He just didn’t really seem engaged and never prepared for our meetings. I felt unsupported like a burden to him. He just said everything will go as planned and never told us the potential complications. Which happened and then we felt blindsided.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Wing at REACH?
Don’t expect warm and cuddly. You won’t see him again for any procedures or care because he is semi retired.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Wing at REACH?
Describe the protocols Richard Wing used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise )
She seemed to never know who we were or what was going on. She said some insensitive things during our treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Long waits depended on what time you arrived in the monitoring period.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Unsure because I used insurance for some.
Describe Richard Wing's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
He said he only transfers one but I have heard he has transferred two before.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
It was very hard to get call backs during the IUI cycles and my nurse put in my appointments wrong almost every time. Sometimes I would show up for multiple appointments and they would say we have no idea why you are here.
Charlotte

[Dr. Adelina Emmi is] Very knowledgable and experienced. She's very efficient in her visits. I was never kept waiting long even with unexpected visits. I always liked her in person. On the other hand, I always felt like I had to really dig for any information. I was treated as if I already knew everything. I did a lot of research at home after leaving appointments.... With Dr. Emmi, I first tried Letrizole alone for one cycle. Results were negative. For my 2nd cycle, I tried Letrizole with Gonal F injections & Ovidrel followed up with an IUI and For my 3rd cycle, I tried Gonal F (at an increased dosage) and was supposed to follow up with Ovidrel and an IUI, but couldn't finish the treatment cycle for 2 reasons - 1) a mistake with the nursing staff & 2) I developed a potential Fibroid.
I experienced a lot of challenges communicating with my care team [at REACH- Cornelius]. My Dr. and team treated me as if I knew everything about fertility and I had to ask a lot of questions. (I'm a newbie). I felt like I never knew what to expect. For example, I had an IUI one day that I wasn't aware I'd be having. And then one time I missed the opportunity to complete a treatment because the nurse did not provide a prescription (after I drove an hour and a half to a specialty pharmacy to get it). It was a mess.
How was your experience with Adelina Emmi at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Adelina Emmi at REACH?
If you're familiar with fertility concepts or have someone in your life who is, you'd probably have a great experience. If not, do some research ahead of time and bring questions with you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Adelina Emmi at REACH?
She was always very sensitive to any questions or concerns that I might have.
Describe the protocols Adelina Emmi used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I have PCOS and had already tried 3 cycles of Clomid with my OBGYN without positive results. With Dr. Emmi, I first tried Letrizole alone for one cycle. Results were negative. For my 2nd cycle, I tried Letrizole with Gonal F injections & Ovidrel followed up with an IUI and For my 3rd cycle, I tried Gonal F (at an increased dosage) and was supposed to follow up with Ovidrel and an IUI, but couldn't finish the treatment cycle for 2 reasons - 1) a mistake with the nursing staff & 2) I developed a potential Fibroid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Rose)
The office coordinator and lab nurse were great and always very helpful. My care nurse who coordinated things for the Dr. was challenging to work with. She forgot to give me a prescription at two different points in my treatment. One of which resulted in me not being able to finish a cycle.
Describe your experience with REACH.
I personally had to dig for any information I needed, but I don't know if that was my care team or the clinic overall. It took a long time for my patient portal account to get set up and that seemed to hinder communication. At times it was challenging to get someone on the phone. Ask for a direct line to your specific care team and learn who does what/who to contact for what in the office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Adelina Emmi at REACH.
Out of pocket I paid a few hundred dollars once we got to the point of using injectable medicines(for medicine and the consolation fee). I also paid a $200 consultation fee per cycle for Ovulation Induction or IUI treatments. Most nurses remarked that I had good insurance - meaning they covered almost if not all of most tests, procedures and prescriptions. However, I only had a $5000 lifetime max for fertility procedures which only covered up to 2 Ovulation Induction or IUI cycles - which is why the nurse making a mistake was so disappointing in my last cycle.
Describe Adelina Emmi's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
I experienced a lot of challenges communicating with my care team. My Dr. and team treated me as if I knew everything about fertility and I had to ask a lot of questions. (I'm a newbie). I felt like I never knew what to expect. For example, I had an IUI one day that I wasn't aware I'd be having. And then one time I missed the opportunity to complete a treatment because the nurse did not provide a prescription (after I drove an hour and a half to a specialty pharmacy to get it). It was a mess.
Adelina Emmi
Cornelius

Dr Crain seemed very knowledgeable on treatment processes and straightforward in communicating the issues in fertility we were having and best course of action. However this straightforwardness was also a weak point as the shock of infertility is very sensitive time and Dr Crain communicated in a very blunt medical speak way that didn't show any compassion for the situation.
Monitoring appointments [at REACH- Charlotte] required you to be there on a first come first serve basis in the morning for doors to open at 7am, if not there early then you would be waiting sometimes significant amount of time.... Clinic is only clinic in Charlotte and through our visits it felt like they took advantage of it. Pricing was never straightforward. When you first visit they lay it out on what your expected total cost will be for treatment, but then you're told you should probably do this test, and then another test, that eventually add up to significant amounts on top of what you already planned for. Of course you'll agree to do these tests because you want to do whatever you can to have a successful procedure, but after doing research on these items and what they were suggesting we felt like we got shafted on a number of items.
How was your experience with Jack Crain at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jack Crain at REACH?
For patients preferring blunt facts and straightforward approach to treatment along with strong opinions on best next steps Dr Crain is the right Dr.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jack Crain at REACH?
Dr didn't appear to always be prepared with details of our case or recall conversations we had in past.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Nursing staff was very friendly although communication was not always timely
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments required you to be there on a first come first serve basis in the morning for doors to open at 7am, if not there early then you would be waiting sometimes significant amount of time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Concerns mostly had to do with straightforwardness and transparency in pricing, writing prescriptions for more drugs then actually needed as part of cycle.
Jack Crain
Charlotte

Dr. Katz was very helpful during consultation appointments. Answered all questions thoroughly and put us at ease. However, during the monitoring appointments, I often left the office unsure of the treatment plan. ... It felt like I was ushered in and out so that more patients could be seen. At times it felt like the doctors and nurses [REACH] did not want to answer my questions. ...
Once I had my vasovagal reaction during my 2nd IUI with a RN, my primary RE ... and his team were not notified of the reaction and no note was placed in my chart. ... The financial department is unorganized, rude, and not helpful. They often bill you incorrectly. The lab department is wonderful and caring but somewhat unorganized. The front office staff is kind and always smiling. ... I have not had IVF but I have completed an IVF consultation. My clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time. ...
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Seth Katz at REACH?
Stay on top of your healthcare and your treatment plan.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Seth Katz at REACH?
It felt like I was ushered in and out so that more patients could be seen. At times it felt like the doctors and nurses did not want to answer my questions.
Describe the protocols Seth Katz used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Each cycle I did letrozole 5mg PO CD3-7 with an ovidrel trigger. I have done 3 cycles with this protocol and 3 IUIs. My 1st and 2nd cycle was completed by a RN. The 2nd cycle I experienced a horrible vasovagal reaction, passed out, lips turned blue according to the RN. The RN actually left me in the room alone with my wife at one point. And no physician of provider ever came to assess me prior to leaving the office. After this we decided to take several months off from the process. Once we finally started back, only the physician was allowed to complete my IUI due to my complaint about my treatment with the reaction.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Communication is a definite weakness. The nurses were late releasing my lab results and treatment plan into my portal and were often rude when returning phone calls. My reaction to my second IUI also made me question the quality of nursing care. I am a nurse and I know how I expect to be treated after a vasovagal reaction and unfortunately I do not feel I received adequate care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
I do not remember the specifics.
Describe Seth Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
I have not had IVF but I have completed an IVF consultation. My clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time. I personally prefer 2 embryos be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Once I had my vasovagal reaction during my 2nd IUI with a RN, my primary RE (Dr. Katz) and his team were not notified of the reaction and no note was placed in my chart. It wasn't until I spoke with a different nurse and asked her what would be changed to prevent it from happening and I realized she did not know about the reaction. Neither did Dr. Katz. At that point I lost faith in my care for a little while.
Charlotte

I felt like I didn’t see Dr Johnson during the critical moments. HSG, IUI, SIS were all under someone else...After both surgeries she used a balloon catheter and hormone therapy and antibiotic...septum was never fully removed after 2 surgeries and both tubes had been blocked due to last attempt at dr Johnson’s surgery...I was very upset that she never told me she was pregnant. In December (while planning my 2nd surgery) I finally asked if she was expecting. She said yes
Becky [nurse at REACH] was AMAZING!!! I’ll never forget her reassuring me “you don’t give up!” And holding my arm as I cried walking down the office following the ultrasound to show our baby was gone. She was so sweet...I was also upset the day I went in for my IUI and was shocked to find out a NURSE was going to perform such an intimate, important thing and not my RE that I had formed a relationship with. Dr. Johnson also seemed cold hearted when I lost the baby I conceived under her care.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I was very upset that she never told me she was pregnant. In December (while planning my 2nd surgery) I finally asked if she was expecting. She said yes and she in January so then I had to ask who would I be under during her leave. She had only removed 1 complete septum before mine. Insisted that I have a SIS to see if scarring had occurred after. I pay $1000 for the test, told no scar tissue so start TTC with just a Ovidrel shot. Pregnant first try! Miscarriage 7 weeks later. Pay $1000 for another test to show scar tissue did come back... have the entire surgery performed by her again 2months later. Declined to pay for another test after. Start femara, Ovidrel, eventually include and IUI back to only meds, no pregnancy. Get 2nd opinion by Dr. Hurst...septum was never fully removed after 2 surgeries and both tubes had been blocked due to last attempt at dr Johnson’s surgery.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I recommend researching her. Does she have a lot of experience with what you need to conceive? Are you ok with your RE possibly randomly becoming pregnant and having to cross that awkward bridge? Are you ok with her not showing a lot of emotion when you see an empty sac on the ultrasound and then go back after natural miscarriage?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
After both surgeries she used a balloon catheter and hormone therapy and antibiotic. Dr. Hurst did none of the above. He also guides and directs whereas Johnson seems to go with whatever you say and not lead you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was AMAZING!!! I’ll never forget her reassuring me “you don’t give up!” And holding my arm as I cried walking down the office following the ultrasound to show our baby was gone. She was so sweet.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The office did not seem organized. Poor communication with billing. Small waiting area. Front desk ladies always seemed unhappy to be working there. You’re always a number to them, not a mom in the making who’s hurting. The office was always clean and spelled sanitized
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Not sure maybe around $6000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
During my HSG the nurse practitioner they assigned to me did not know what she was doing! After 5 catheters and MULTIPLE attempts to get catheter in my cervix she finally called a more experienced Doctor. After his first try (using the 6th catheter) they finally got the catheter in. This was very painful! The nurse practitioner they assigned to me to remove my balloon catheter seemed like she was not experienced in this area. She pulled and tugged for a while, after I was to the point of tear she left and brought in dr Johnson who was able to release a little more fluid out of the balloon and then quick snatch to remove catheter (again this was more painful than it should have been). I also was upset that Dr Johnson was there and available yet couldn’t take 10min out of her day to remove my father herself. I was also upset the day I went in for my IUI and was shocked to find out a NURSE was going to perform such an intimate, important thing and not my RE that I had formed a relationship with. Dr. Johnson also seemed cold hearted when I lost the baby I conceived under her care.
Charlotte

My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she [Dr. Lauren Johnson] educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
REACH has a fantastic nursing staff, embroyolgy dept, doctors and surgical nurses. Their front desk is lacking in warmth and their financial department is an absolute disaster. I would carefully go over each and every bill; and request bills if you do not receive them.... The nurses (Shana and Mary) were phenomenal. Anytime I had a question they would answer it as quickly as possible. They would call and give me the next steps and ensure that I was at ease with what they were telling me. Lisa- who took my blood each visit was kind and compassionate. She remembered me and had a great rapport.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
We have male factor infertility and she was the most caring and compassionate towards that. My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
Be open and real with Dr. Johnson. She is an extremely thoughtful and caring doctor. Trust her process and ask all the questions you can think of.
Dr. Johnson got to know my husband and me and truly wanted the best for us. She would break difficult to understand information into smaller, easier to understand parts without being condescending. I received personal phone calls from her on more than one occasion. She is very easy to talk to.
We used gonal-f and menopur. It was a slow and steady growth. The rationale was that I was healthy and ovulating well on my own, so she didn't feel the need for me to have large doses. I started low on gonal-f, and gradually increased the dosage. I had 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature and 8 fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Shana)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring was held from 7-9:30 a.m. I would show up around 7:30, sign in and would be seen quickly (about 10 minutes) for ultrasound. Then would go to have blood drawn. I was quick and efficient. Completed in under 30 minutes most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Around $13,000 with ICIS.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My Dr. saw that I was a healthy, young woman and did not want a high-risk pregnancy (twins) with me, so transferred one 5-day embryo. The rationale was the likelihood of twins from multiple embryo transfer was too great.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
During our finance meeting we were told that we did not have insurance coverage for IVF and that we would pay upfront for service. We were told that our insurance would not be billed. About one month after our cycle, I noticed that I was receiving EOBs that showed my insurance was billed and actually paid for a number of things at REACH. I contacted REACH for an itemized bill and was told that I had a balance of over $2,000. I spoke with my insurance AND was informed that REACH billed insurance and received payment. It took REACH over 4 months to return money to my insurance company and I was still threatened to be sent to collections over a billing error on their part.
Charlotte

I don't think he [Dr. Whelan] could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient...he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own"
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they [REACH] had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He had too many patients and didn't take a one-on-one approach, he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own" and was recommending we look into donor eggs or embryos. I think he is fully capable and intelligent, but the treatments were a little to one size fits all. If you are a difficult case, I wouldn't recommend him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Get second opinions!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
I don't think he could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
IVF cycle follistim, HGH, cetrotide and menopur. Only PIO to prep for a fresh transfer. He didn't share is rationale for that treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
There were many, I don't think I really knew any of them or that they really knew me. They were nice enough I guess, but had too many patients.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare. They have way too many patients, there were visits where I waited more than 2 hours to be seen. My doctor was even almost an hour late to my 7am surgery. Treatments are too generic, didn't feel like they took their time with me, they had to stick to a schedule.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
It depended, so days were horrible and the wait was an hour or more, other days it wasn't bad. If I got there right when the doors opened it really didn't impact my day. Too many patients.
I don't remember costs.
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
We didn't have that discussion because we didn't have enough strong embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
They got dates incorrect for my treatment and I was traveling out of town. Luckily there was a fertility clinic I could go to where I was traveling to be monitored. They have sent me incorrect instructions on treatment or sent me someone else's treatment information.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I felt somewhat like a number . The reason is you literally have to give your patient number when you call or leave a message . I will go on good faith and say maybe this is a extra measure to assure they know who is calling.... Over all the staff [REACH] is made up of friendly people and If I remember right they have good success rates. I personally had issues with scheduling and a confusing diagnosis that were never explained. If you are considering going here
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Seth Katz was kind and hopefull about my fertility. The major issues I had was that I was scheduled for an IUI and was told to schedule a hsg. I tried to schedule it and it never happened. I showed up for the IUI and asked again if I should go thru with it since a hsg was never done. I was told I should since i was already there. My results were negative and I scheduled a HSG thru my doctor and found out both my tubes were blocked . So I spent $900 for a IUI that wouldn't have worked . Before that I was told on the day I had an ultrasound done that my egg follicles looked "beautiful" . Then when I went for a follow up on the same Ultrasound and to discuss what actions to take he said they look polycistic as in having pcos. I was diagnosed with PCOS. This was very confusing.
Ask lots of questions
I was told to use low amounts of clomid because of my age . Taking the clomid didn't help because, as I found out later both my fallopian tubes are blocked.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
The nursing staff were nice enough . I'm not sure who was responsible for scheduling but an important test didn't get done before a procedure and I wasted some money . I was given and IUI by a nurse and when she put the catheter in and pushed the syringe she said "I think it's in there" (cervix?)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Over all the staff is made up of friendly people and If I remember right they have good success rates. I personally had issues with scheduling and a confusing diagnosis that were never explained. If you are considering going here . Make sure to do your own research and maybe get a second opinion. Dr . Katz contradicted himself on my diagnosis and said I did not have PCOS and the next visit said I did and no test were done in between so this was very confusing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
They are average for the area . $900 for IUI $100 for office visits (from what I remember)
I never made it to actually do ivf but I was told I could do one or two embryos per transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
I was never scheduled for a HSG before doing an IUI. So it was upsetting to find out it was a wasted procedure that never would have worked. I later found out both of my fallopian tubes had been blocked

2013 - 2016, Successful
I rarely got to see my own physician [Dr. Richard Wing] for monitoring at REACH. This resulted in me having questions that either went unanswered or that I had to directly email Dr. Wing about...After two failed cycles, I felt like Dr. Wing left more of the decisions up to us vs. what he recommended, which isn't necessarily what I want while navigating fertility treatment...Dr. Wing doesn't have the best bedside manner, but if you can look past that and try to connect with him about anything, it will likely be worth it.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing has a mountain of experience, which is invaluable when going through fertility treatment. He is a good surgeon - I had a successful hysteroscopy for a septate uterus as well as one egg retrieval with him. When I first started pursuing fertility treatment, the treatment plan was very clearly laid out. When cycles continued to be unsuccessful, Dr. Wing was actionable about moving to a different protocol or procedure altogether. After my first successful pregnancy, I resumed treatment with Dr. Wing when trying to conceive another child. However, FETs were not successful and I kept having allergic reactions to one of the medications used, but we could not figure out which one. After two failed cycles, I felt like Dr. Wing left more of the decisions up to us vs. what he recommended, which isn't necessarily what I want while navigating fertility treatment. There were two occasions where Dr. Wing was out of town for 2-3 consecutive weeks and I had something bad happen - an ectopic pregnancy requiring methotrexate and a chemical pregnancy after an FET. Both times, I felt like I was passed from doctor to doctor in the practice, at a time when I needed my doctor most. I provided that feedback to Dr. Wing, and he did try to make an effort to see me personally for monitoring (vs. sending me through the normal monitoring shop), which made me feel like he cared about me as a patient.
I rarely got to see my own physician for monitoring at REACH. This resulted in me having questions that either went unanswered or that I had to directly email Dr. Wing about. When I did call the nurses with a question, I often felt like my questions were not welcome. Additionally, REACH charges extra fees called "cycle management fees," which are not billable to insurance, even if the patient has insurance. Over the 4 years I was at REACH for treatment, the fees increased and were added to procedures that previously did not have cycle management fees. Despite the fact that I have paid every bill in a timely manner, I had an impromptu IUI which was scheduled by Dr. Wing canceled because the cycle management fee hadn't been paid (I only had two days notice and was waiting to see if insurance would pay for the IUI before I paid the extra fee). When I discussed this with the head financial person after the fact, she said they are not able to make an exception for me despite my history of prompt payment over the four years I have been a patient. This definitely made me feel like a number.
My first cycle was letrozole only, but was cancelled because I did not respond and ovulated prematurely. My second and third cycles were letrozole + follistim + ovidrel + IUI + crinone and were both unsuccessful. My next cycle was a birth control + gonadotropin + ganirelix IVF cycle that resulted in retrieving 25 eggs and freezing 8 embryos. All embryos were frozen to prevent OHSS. My first frozen transfer (birth control + Lupron + estrogen patches + progesterone shots + crinone + doxycycline + medrol) was successful and resulted in a singleton pregnancy and live birth. A year and half later, my next transfer following the same protocol resulted in a negative pregnancy test and severe allergic reaction for me. Two months later, my next transfer (which eliminated crinone and used Cipro instead of doxycycline) resulted in a chemical pregnancy and another allergic reaction. I wanted to take time off from FETs and had one natural cycle IUI, which was not successful and then one injectable intercourse cycle, which resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise or Mary H.)
Denise (non-IVF nurse) was awesome. She did a good job relaying information to me and going back to Dr. Wing when I had questions. Mary H. (IVF nurse) was a little more challenging to deal with. I felt like I had to stay on top of her to send prescriptions to my pharmacy, I felt like my questions were not always received well, and often times, she would have another nurse call me back (I'm assuming because she is the nurse manager and was busy, but I would've preferred consistency).
Describe your experience with REACH.
REACH has several good doctors with a lot of experience. Most lab results are provided same day, as the lab is in house. However, I feel like they have too many patients and have set policies/procedures that make patients feel like a numbers vs. an individual. Monitoring is usually not performed by your own doctor and there are extra fees called "cycle management fees" which are not billable to insurance even if you have insurance. It is hard to get financial questions answered, and the financial counselors often would not call me back unless they needed to collect money from me. Billing was a nightmare at REACH, I received several incorrect bills, and there was even an incident of my insurance company being charged for a visit with another patient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
I did not enjoy monitoring. I felt like a number and rarely got to see my own doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Everything was billable to insurance according to my plan, except cycle management fees. These fees are $160 per cycle for ovulation induction and/or IUI, $600 for fresh IVF, $425 for a FET.
Dr. Wing considered my unique situation when recommending eSET. I have a repaired septate uterus, which is not shaped like most women's uteruses, so he felt transferring one embryo was best.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Most of my issues were a direct result of either being forced to see a different doctor while Dr. Wing was on vacation or being forced to see a different doctor for routine monitoring. These other doctors were not always aware of Dr. Wing's plan or they couldn't answer my questions, leading to issues.
Charlotte
Dr. Katz is a very good listener and compassionate about the situation you are in. I felt that when we had scheduled office appointments to meet face to face with him in his office he was very attentive and would answer all of our questions....Leading up to egg retrieval there is no guarantee what doctor you will see....It became harder to know the treatment plan we I was coming in for monitoring because I was not seeing him each time. He can be blunt but in a way that can be appreciated.
One of the clinics strengths is the nursing staff. They [REACH- Charlotte] are very personable and great. It is also very convenient to have the lab right there in the building. This practice seems to be too busy for the staff they have. I felt that their finance team was pretty terrible to work with.... I did have a couple of monitoring and blood draw appointments where the date communicated to me were incorrect...Dr. Katz's nurse team was great.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is a very good listener and compassionate about the situation you are in. I felt that when we had scheduled office appointments to meet face to face with him in his office he was very attentive and would answer all of our questions. It became harder to know the treatment plan we I was coming in for monitoring because I was not seeing him each time. He can be blunt but in a way that can be appreciated. I felt that a weakness was that he took a try and see approach that did not end up being the correct course for our issue.
I would recommend asking for all of the potential treatment options upfront and what the least and most aggressive approach would be so that you can educate yourself and help formulate your treatment plan
This is a very busy practice. Leading up to egg retrieval there is no guarantee what doctor you will see. I would show up on time but a lot of the appointments would start late and then I would be rushed in and out.
Antagonist Protocol Estrace 2mg by mouth Cetrotide 0.25 mg injection for 4 days Gonal F 350 then 400 Diluted HCG 40 Omnitrope 25 Doxy 1 am and 1pm Baby Asprin 81mg
Dr. Katz's nurse team was great. They were available when needed and were there to ask questions and let you know if what you were experiencing was normal. I did have a couple of monitoring and blood draw appointments where the date communicated to me were incorrect but they were so nice that it did bother me.
Describe your experience with REACH.
One of the clinics strengths is the nursing staff. They are very personable and great. It is also very convenient to have the lab right there in the building. This practice seems to be too busy for the staff they have. I felt that their finance team was pretty terrible to work with. Our insurance does not cover anything, so we had to have more interaction with their finance and billing team. We had to pay for our treatment all upfront. They were very easy to reach and would follow up quickly prior to paying but became harder to reach once we paid. Our IVF treatment made it to egg retrieval but not to embryo transfer. After speaking with their team I believe that some of it was related to their onsite IVF lab.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
We a had a couple of monitoring/blood draw appointments get communicated to us and then show up and they had told us the wrong day and time. The finance team is not very responsive. None of our Embryos made it to transfer.
2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Katz was always kind and straightforward during appointments. He told lots of stories of previous patients to give examples....Very rare to actually see Dr. Katz for an appointment. Saw multiple doctors during my time at REACH for monitoring. During my time at REACH (for all testing and 3 IUI's) I only saw Dr. Katz 3 times. Since the doctor's varied so much for monitoring the experience at each visit was different and no one actually knew me.
REACH is a very popular clinic in Charlotte and was used by several of my coworkers. Since it is such a large and bust clinic I really felt like just a number and that no one knew who I was. There are many doctors on staff and they operate with more of a team approach, which contributes to feeling like no one knows who you are. Each doctor varied widely in how much information they would give you in an appointment for monitoring.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Ask lots of questions and advocate for yourself.
During my time under Dr. Katz's care I completed three medicated cycles. Since I ovulate on my own and our diagnosis is Male Factor Infertility it was recommended we skip timed intercourse and go right to IUI. A low dose of Letrozole was used for each cycle. Dr. Katz picked this over Clomid based on side effects. My spouse was put on Clomid and a fertility blend vitamin to attempt to treat his Male Factor Infertility. I responded well to Letrozole each time (2-3 follicles) and and IUI was completed. Post wash numbers for the IUI's were never at the 10 million they were wanting. All cycles resulted in BFN.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Most of my contact was with Melissa. She appeared organized but my main contact with her was over the phone.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Each IUI cycle cost around $1,500. All testing was put towards my insurance deductible.
2015, Unsuccessful
Richard Wing has great bed side manner and explain the process to me. I felt nervous my first visit and he help calm my nerves. You can tell he knowsaid what he is doing. The only thing I would say was his weakness was he did not check or explain to me what I should do next after my first IUI failed...Dr wing said that my insurance doesn't include infertility treatments so he gave me a discount of 1 IUI for Lil over 1000 dollars. Not including labs appts. Or ultrasounds
the nurse [at REACH Charlotte] did my actual IUI and I felt like she was ok its done, stay her 15mins and you can go....which made me feel more like a burden then someone they was trying to help...Strengths are the The overall Doctors seem to know what they are doing.....all seemed more then qualified. Some of the staff needs a better attitude though...You maybe listed as his patient but I saw 3 other doctors more than I saw him during my IUI process.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing was great but to be honest I only seen him 2 visits.....but when it came to do the iui...someone I never seen before did it. Which I get the on call process but I felt they didn't explain that to me then. I saw three doctors total but Dr. wing wasn't involved in the initial process....but his bed side manner was great. Just wish I had him during my actual IuI.....the nurse did my actual IUI and I felt like she was ok its done, stay her 15mins and you can go....which made me feel more like a burden then someone they was trying to help.
He put me on clomid and I had lab and ultrasounds to see if my eggs was mature. Once that all check out a nurse came in to do it and really didn't explain to me what she was doing she said ok it's done wait 15mins and you can leave.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Dr wings nurse was great not sure of her name but I could call her with questions and if she didn't know she called me back with an answer....she showed compassion and held my hand during my first appt....but when you start going through the process you get whoevers on call...and the nurse that was on call the day of my IUI treated me like I was someone she needed to check off her list.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths are the The overall Doctors seem to know what they are doing.....all seemed more then qualified. Some of the staff needs a better attitude though. I work in the health care field as a CNA at a birthplace. So I get to see women deliver all the time . If your not careful you get caught up in saying this is just another delivery. So I check my heart often and make sure this is the best experience ever. Why because though Ive seen thousands of deliveries they havent. This is Thier child and they shouldn't be treated like their baby is a check off list. This is a special moment for them. I think some of Reach nurses need to understand that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Over Dr wing said that my insurance doesn't include infertility treatments so he gave me a discount of 1 IUI for Lil over 1000 dollars. Not including labs appts. Or ultrasounds
Charlotte

Dr. Crain was very dry. He was quite knowledgeable but never made me feel happy to be there. He ran some tests on me that no one else did - and that ultimately led to a diagnosis for me. ... But the communication throughout the cycles was very slow and that made me feel like like a number. ... For my two IUI cycles, we used Clomid and Ovidrel. Dr. Crain likes Clomid better than Letrozole because he has seen better outcomes.
The billing department at this clinic [REACH] leaves much to be desired. They are not very knowledgeable and do not give correct information half of the time. This clinic is extremely busy, so expect long wait times. I have met many of the doctors that work in this clinic and they are all nice and knowledgeable. ... Amy [nurse] was really great while at appointments.
How was your experience with Jack Crain at REACH?
Dr. Crain was very dry. He was quite knowledgeable but never made me feel happy to be there. He ran some tests on me that no one else did - and that ultimately led to a diagnosis for me. For that, I am thankful.
Do not expect fabulous bedside manner.
The doctor met with me in his office which felt nicer than the sterile exam room. But the communication throughout the cycles was very slow and that made me feel like like a number.
Describe the protocols Jack Crain used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Amy Foerester)
Amy was really great while at appointments. She always had everything that was needed and did a great job explaining things and what next steps were. Communicating through the portal sometimes took longer than it should, however.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The billing department at this clinic leaves much to be desired. They are not very knowledgeable and do not give correct information half of the time. This clinic is extremely busy, so expect long wait times. I have met many of the doctors that work in this clinic and they are all nice and knowledgeable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jack Crain at REACH.
IUI for me was almost $1,000 and that is with insurance covering the ultrasounds and bloodwork.
Describe Jack Crain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
None
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
There were many times at my monitoring appointments that they did not have my name on the schedule and had to "squeeze" me in.
Jack Crain
Charlotte
Dr. Whelan met with us and was very explanatory, but he was very quick to diagnose that we should move straight to IVF. Our conversation felt surgical...There weren’t many instances where we had strong interaction with Dr. Whelan. He was polite, but we felt overwhelmed with information and like we were just one couple on the conveyer belt. We asked questions, but often the information that we received was confusing. It was hard to get a good understanding of what we were facing, and we never quite felt heard.
[REACH] is a well-known clinic. They are expensive and sometimes it feels as if they are just trying to get your money. We felt like we had so much that we didn’t know and we didn’t ever get a firm grasp on the realities of ur diagnosis. They were organized and have a great online system...The nursing staff was similar to Dr. Whelan— it felt clinical or surgical with the manner that they treated us. Not neglectful, but I didn’t feel well-served.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Do your research so that you know what questions you want to ask.
We had diagnostics run and the main result was that we had unexplained fertility. We were recommended to move to IVF.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This is a well-known clinic. They are expensive and sometimes it feels as if they are just trying to get your money. We felt like we had so much that we didn’t know and we didn’t ever get a firm grasp on the realities of ur diagnosis. They were organized and have a great online system.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
We had a copay each time we went and we paid for portions of several diagnostic tests.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
We didn’t get our information from REACH when we transferred. I had some copies of information and I took pictures of the online system, which was the only way we had some of the info transferred.
Charlotte

Dr. Matrika Johnson was extremely delicate and sensitive to all that I have been through. ... Dr. M Johnson was very knowledgeable and gave me great information. She did an exam and made sure that she understood all details before making a decision. ... I saw Dr. M Johnson for a second opinion after a cancelled IVF cycle with another clinic.
I had a hard time getting this clinic [REACH] to send my records to a different clinic. It took a very long time but in the end, it did get done. ... The financial coordinators at this clinic are hard to get in touch with and don't usually have quick answers. This clinic is very busy so plan to wait some. Use the patient portal to communicate the fastest.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
I saw Dr. M Johnson for a second opinion after a cancelled IVF cycle with another clinic. Dr. M Johnson was very knowledgeable and gave me great information. She did an exam and made sure that she understood all details before making a decision.
There are 2 Dr. Johnson's at REACH. Be sure you are meeting with the correct one!
I saw Dr. M. Johnson for a workup and consult so we did not use any medication. She did an internal ultrasound in order to see better what was going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Simmons)
Jessica was great with communication and answering all of my questions. She was also great at answering portal messages very quickly.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
The cost for the consultation was $95.
None
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
I had a hard time getting this clinic to send my records to a different clinic. It took a very long time but in the end, it did get done.
Matrika Johnson

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I have always been treated with respect and Dr Johnson made sure that we had a good level of understanding. I never felt that she was rushed in our interactions....Dr Johnson is very professional and caring. She helped me feel at ease with the plan we decided on. I felt very confident with her clinical decision-making, and in fact we did not have any issues until other providers in the practice were involved in the most critical stages of the process.
Overall the clinic staff [REACH] that I interacted with were professional and caring. I was disappointed in key decisions that were made during my ivf cycle, and the lack of responsibility from a clinic leadership perspective after the fact.... The nursing team is wonderful — a very caring and compassionate group. I was always able to communicate with the nursing staff and receive replies back within a very reasonable time frame.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Discuss the need for potential contingency plans in the event unexpected situations arise.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall the clinic staff that I interacted with were professional and caring. I was disappointed in key decisions that were made during my ivf cycle, and the lack of responsibility from a clinic leadership perspective after the fact.
I felt Dr Johnson sufficiently discussed the pros and cons of both options.
Charlotte
He [Dr. Joseph Whelen] treated me like a human and explained everything to me but I felt very rushed like he had other patients waiting and he just kept suggesting that I go straight to IVF and I felt I'm young and want to find out to root of my problem...I felt as if everything wasn't explained to me and IVF seemed so daunting to me. I needed more time to understand what the process was. He is very nice though but I feel too many patients are booked at once.
Well they [nurses at REACH Charlotte] forgot to call in my prescription before my IUI's and also I called over five times to have my paperwork switched to my gyno with no response...Strengths would be niceness but weakness's would be office flow of paperwork and organization. The financial lady is even a bit mean. Returning phone calls can be a nightmare...We did four IUI's but I don't recall the medicine used except that I gave myself a shot in the stomach theee days straight
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is very knowledgeable but also very matter of fact! I felt as if everything wasn't explained to me and IVF seemed so daunting to me. I needed more time to understand what the process was. He is very nice though but I feel too many patients are booked at once.
To ask for a longer appointment
He treated me like a human and explained everything to me but I felt very rushed like he had other patients waiting and he just kept suggesting that I go straight to IVF and I felt I'm young and want to find out to root of my problem
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Everyone was very nice and compassionate.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Well they forgot to call in my prescription before my IUI's and also I called over five times to have my paperwork switched to my gyno with no response