7.2

888.551.0874
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874

Strengths [of Matrika Johnson]: strong communicator, kind bedside manner, very knowledgeable on alternative options, she is also realistic with her expectations. I could not imagine going through this experience with any other doctor, she has exceeded our expectations. ... We were diagnosed with male factor infertility to start. We started with an egg retrieval, I was on Cetrotide, Gonal, Lupron and Synthroid. We got 25 eggs, 15 fertilized but only one made it to an embryo. After that first cycle she concluded that I have poor egg quality and it was unexplained.
Front desk staff [REACH] are sometimes not as sensitive to patient needs. Response times in the patient portal are a hit or miss, sometimes its fast, other times it is slower. It is harder to get questions answered over the phone. ... Never had too many issues [with monitoring], they had you come in between 7am-8:30am - there was a wait sometimes but they typically will get through relatively quickly.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Strengths: strong communicator, kind bedside manner, very knowledgeable on alternative options, she is also realistic with her expectations. I could not imagine going through this experience with any other doctor, she has exceeded our expectations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She does her best to try to see you every time you come in for an appointment but there may be times where other nurses or doctors will see you based on availability.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She took the time to explain everything in a way we could understand. I felt like she genuinely cared about our success and did everything in her power to make sure we had the best chances for success.
Describe the protocols Matrika Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
We were diagnosed with male factor infertility to start. We started with an egg retrieval, I was on Cetrotide, Gonal, Lupron and Synthroid. We got 25 eggs, 15 fertilized but only one made it to an embryo. After that first cycle she concluded that I have poor egg quality and it was unexplained. We did another egg retrieval and switched up the medications to see if we could get more and we ended up with no viable embryos. At that point we decided on transferring the one embryo we did have. We did get pregnant but ended up miscarrying at 8 weeks.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Overall good, there were times that they were not as responsive and helpful but they have a large workload so overall it was okay.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Front desk staff are sometimes not as sensitive to patient needs. Response times in the patient portal are a hit or miss, sometimes its fast, other times it is slower. It is harder to get questions answered over the phone.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Never had too many issues, they had you come in between 7am-8:30am - there was a wait sometimes but they typically will get through relatively quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
With insurance coverage we paid roughly $5000 out of pocket for two egg retrievals. After we exceeded our maximum deductible our transfer out of pocket cost was roughly $2000.
Describe Matrika Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
She will only transfer one embryo, regardless of your age and likelihood of success.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
There was one time where I had to remind them to call in a prescription, not a huge deal for me.

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Lauren Johnson and her team always treat you like you are their only patient... She is very thorough with her appointments and you never feel rushed in/out when seeing her...She has been through infertility herself...Originally we went in for unexplained infertility and was also diagnosed with PCOS...She explained everything, even drew us pictures to make it make sense. She answers all our questions no matter how crazy and redundant...
They [REACH] are very prompt with getting you in as soon as possible, they have financial counselors that talk to you say one and give you options. Anyone that has contact with you always introduces themselves and gives you a detailed explanation of what they can do for you or will be doing...For each IUI cycle we paid around $1800 including oral prescriptions, shots, ultrasounds, bloodwork, the semen deposit and cleaning and the procedure itself.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Lauren Johnson is a compassionate, driven, highly educated lady with a lot of experience. She has been through infertility herself. She is very thorough with her appointments and you never feel rushed in/out when seeing her. I would not recommend anyone else!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Don’t hesitate to make an appointment even if it’s just for a consultation with her! You will not be let down! We went in thinking there would be no way we could afford it or even do anything other than meet with her, I was overwhelmed before going and then we got there and she has a calm nature about her. She explained everything, even drew us pictures to make it make sense. She answers all our questions no matter how crazy and redundant.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Lauren Johnson and her team always treat you like you are their only patient. She is caring, honest, plans out your treatments step by step and even tells you about the what if situations and what’s next if plan A doesn’t work. After our first miscarriage they treated us like family... with support, love and open arms.
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Originally we went in for unexplained infertility and was also diagnosed with PCOS. She ran a very detailed bloodwork panel analyzing hormones, blood count, egg quality and count, numerous things as well as doing STD screenings on both of us and sperm analysis on my husband. We also had the option to do a test to check for abnormalities that may cause issues with a fetus long term prior to starting. Dr. Johnson goes through a detailed history of your medical history as well as your lifestyle and healthy changes you may need to partake in. After we go through that initial stuff she told us we would try an IUI first since my husband and I didn’t seem to have anything wrong other than me not ovulating on my own, he has a child so we shouldn’t have a problem on his side. We started the cycle by using progesterone to start my period followed up with a ultrasound and bloodwork to check my levels and to make sure I’m ready to start with the medicine to help me ovulate. (I had previously tried Clomid with my OBGYN with no success.) We started with Femara one pill a day for 5 days starting on cycle day 3-7. I did not respond and produce any mature follicles (I did have 25 cyst in one ovary and around 30 in the other) so we piggybacked and tripled up on Femara for the next 5 days with no luck and with one more piggy back we went back to Clomid and we had one mature follicle. After you confirm a mature follicle and bloodwork looked good we had to have do am Ovedril shot to help push the follicle out of the ovary and then have intercourse that night between 6-8. The next day we both had to go to the office for bloodwork (me) to check to make sure levels looked good as far at uterus lining and ovulation has or is currently taking place, my husband had to do a sperm deposit to be cleaned up and ready for use if I cleared with my bloodwork. They called us back in a few hours to report back at 11:45 and we had the IUI procedure. They walked us through it as it was our first one and explained everything in detail. The. You go on the dreaded two week wait to find out if you’re pregnant. In that time you still take your prenatal meds, any vitamins they put you on based on bloodwork and progesterone vaginal suppositories to help prevent first trimester miscarriage. We did become pregnant with a little girl with Dr. Johnson’s help then we were released from REACH at 10 weeks, however after being with my OBGYN We lost our little girl at 17 weeks and have currently been in for more IUI with maturing follicles in the first try with medication but no successful pregnancies yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky )
Becky is Dr. Johnson’s right hand lady! She greets you with a warm welcome and he always treated me as if I was her daughter coming in. I get hugs, she calls me back promptly and always comforts me and understands the struggles that come along with this. She always offers to be there for me in any way she can to help. She says she’s just one call away! She makes this place amazing!
Describe your experience with REACH.
They are very prompt with getting you in as soon as possible, they have financial counselors that talk to you say one and give you options. Anyone that has contact with you always introduces themselves and gives you a detailed explanation of what they can do for you or will be doing. Weaknesses - none for clinic just the travel time for me being 45 mins away and getting to work can be hard for morning bloodwork and ultrasound checks.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Not applicable to us

How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is very knowledgeable. He is honest from the beginning and tells you like it is. He is not there for the run around. He recommended IVF from the beginning but agreed to try IUI and see if we got lucky because it is what we chose to do first as IVF is expensive. He does what he can to help financially with his admin team. Dr. Katz is very straight to the point and I really like that about him. He is a very friendly man and knows exactly what he is doing. He gave me and always gives me hope each time. He is very patient and is always there for you.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Seth Katz at REACH?
Listen to everything he says for he is extremely knowledgeable and he has seen it all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz’s team is absolutely wonderful. They are very caring and they are always at your service. They will all try to help as much as possible including phone call follow ups, hugs, and calls to show they care. The team is exceptional and they always want what is best for you. They answer all your questions and treat you like you are important.
Describe the protocols Seth Katz used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I started with comid for 5 days and a trigger shot to do an IUI. I did this for 2 rounds. I have mild PCOS and my husband has a low sperm count. He recommended IVF and not to waste more money on another IUI as we have no coverage for it and had to pay out of pocket.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
The nursing staff is what makes his team absolutely amazing. They are who you see more than anyone and luckily I got the best. Every single nurse on Dr. Katz’s team is phenomenal. They are caring, detailed, and helpful with this hard process we go through. They will do anything it takes to make you feel comfortable and part of a family.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The only thing I would change is the office staff. The first time we walked into REACH we were there for our very first consultation. As nervous as we were we were hoping to see smiles and welcoming staff when we first walked in. That isn’t what we got. The front desk wasn’t very friendly nor approachable. If you ask me that is the first thing that makes a clinic great is the customer service. The front desk was very snippy and wasn’t helpful with questions or information. Another financial member was also very unfriendly and rude. We chose to deal with another financial advisor from the clinic and thankfully she is amazing which is who we deal with now.
IUI $800 and IVF $12,300
Charlotte

Dr. Katz has made me very comfortable. He explains the reality of my infertility. He also expressed the hope he has for us which makes me feel like it is possible. I would of course love to meet with him every visit but I do not think that is realistic as the amount of patients in the office would not allow for such one on one. ... Dr. Katz has been available to speak after hours and it was easy and he spoke to me like a person and not like a stranger.
There strengths [REACH] is the availability. I am able to be seen 7 days a week. They do not delay your cycle. Weakness would be billing. It seems a bit unorganized on the office level. Billing office in florida has been able to help me retrieve accurate receipts in order to provide the. To my flex spending account. ... Selena knew exactly how to handle me. She knew I was a bit scattered from stress and she always seemed to find a way to explain everything to me before I needed to ask.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz has made me very comfortable. He explains the reality of my infertility. He also expressed the hope he has for us which makes me feel like it is possible. I would of course love to meet with him every visit but I do not think that is realistic as the amount of patients in the office would not allow for such one on one. Dr. Katz has also been very receptive to the information I have shared regarding my naturopath. He is not dismissing my hormone results she has provided to his office. I am confident that he will help us reach our end goal which is having a child
Trust the process
My first round of femara was a timed intercourse cycle which I was prescribed 5mg from days 3-7. My body did not respond well to that dosage so cycle two we moved it to days 3-9 which produced larger follicles sooner than Cycle day 18. We triggered 250mg of ovidrel. Last cycle was Femara CD3-9 and 2 ovidrel shots on CD 14.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Selena)
Describe your experience with REACH.
There strengths is the availability. I am able to be seen 7 days a week. They do not delay your cycle. Weakness would be billing. It seems a bit unorganized on the office level. Billing office in florida has been able to help me retrieve accurate receipts in order to provide the. To my flex spending account.
Timed intercourse cycle was around $600 IUI was $1200
Describe Seth Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.

2019, Consult
[Dr. Whelan's] strength is looking at the previous test that I had done and wanting to confirm everything on his own. He said good things about my previous doctors but explained that some additional testing should be done to find a cause instead of going straight into a resolution. No weaknesses have been shown yet. I honestly feel like I will be able to trust him and his expertise
[REACH] Served breakfast in the lobby. Fruits, muffins, etc. I found that to be very nice since I’m a traveling patient and didn’t have time for breakfast. It’s a lot of moving around which isn’t bad but I think departments should be aligned in the order that the patient would see them...[the nurse] Made sure to explain everything in detail. Stated things verbally but also gave me a copy in writing.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
His strength is looking at the previous test that I had done and wanting to confirm everything on his own. He said good things about my previous doctors but explained that some additional testing should be done to find a cause instead of going straight into a resolution. No weaknesses have been shown yet. I honestly feel like I will be able to trust him and his expertise.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
With him everything is based around your period. This is when he will do most of his recommended testing. So I would try to book an appointment around cycle day 3 so that you can get started immediately.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He let us come into his office. Spoke to us by name without having to refer back to his paperwork to confirm our names like some doctors do. Focused on our plans and let us make decisions based on his recommendations.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Birth control will be used, he explained that it angers a lot of women because they feel that it’s a step in the wrong direction. However it’s so he can control your body and how it responds when you officially start treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica )
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
Actual cost would be determined after the prior authorization sent to my insurance. Out of pocket people would probably spend about 15,000 with medication included.
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
This will be discussed at our next appointment. I would love to transfer multiple but I do know some doctors aren’t comfortable with that. Which would be ok just wishful thinking.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Wing is thorough and friendly. He made me feel like I was his only patient. He studied my history and made me feel like he truly cared. He developed a plan for me and went over everything with me. When my body didn’t react to certain things, he adjusted methods and informed me along the way.... My prolactin levels were very high so he started me on Cabergoline to lower them. It worked for that purpose and I still take it currently. He also put me on Femara to grow my follicles but my body didn’t react at all to it.
They [REACH] have 2 locations so it’s convenient. You can go back and forth between locations with no problem. They’re also open 7 days a week! Their finance team helps you understand what your insurance covers so you can plan for expenses. One weakness is that you talk to different nurses each time you call and you see whichever doctor is doing monitoring appointments that day when you’re doing a cycle.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Wing at REACH?
Trust him but never be afraid to ask questions because it’s YOUR journey!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing takes his time when explaining things. His bedside manner is very good. He is caring and truly makes you feel like he is invested in you.
Describe the protocols Richard Wing used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
My prolactin levels were very high so he started me on Cabergoline to lower them. It worked for that purpose and I still take it currently. He also put me on Femara to grow my follicles but my body didn’t react at all to it. My first IUI cycle failed because the medicine didn’t work. Next cycle, he put me on gonal-f injections to grow my follicles and low dose hcg. He started me at 75iu of gonal-f each cycle. Sometimes he had to increase to 100 and the last cycle he increased to 125. I did a total of 2 injection cycles for IUI and neither was successful. The last cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
Denise was amazing! She is so kind and reassuring when you talk to her. You can tell she cares about her patients and their success. Some of the other nurses are very short and she is not. Some of the other nurses seem to not be very knowledgeable or give conflicting instructions. One nurse got the dosage of my 2 injections mixed up when she called to tell me I needed to increase them. Thankfully, I caught it and questioned it.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They have 2 locations so it’s convenient. You can go back and forth between locations with no problem. They’re also open 7 days a week! Their finance team helps you understand what your insurance covers so you can plan for expenses. One weakness is that you talk to different nurses each time you call and you see whichever doctor is doing monitoring appointments that day when you’re doing a cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
IUI cycle was $1000 without insurance. That includes monitoring ultrasounds, bloodwork and the insemination. Medication is not included.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
My follicles weren’t maturing so they increased my dosage. When the nurse called, she told me the units to take of each injection but got them reversed. Luckily, I knew that one of them was always higher than the other and I questioned it.
Charlotte

I am still in the initial stages [with Dr. Matrika Johnson] but I had to complete an HSG and blood work. She also provided me with a list of supplements to begin taking to help with fertility. Vitamin D, Prenatal, NeoQ10, DHEA 25. I am also going to have a hysteroscopy to detect if there is a polyp or fibroid in my uterus...is very knowledgeable about fertility and quickly assessed me as a patient and my personality. She is direct but passionate and solution-oriented. I felt well cared for even on my first visit...She broke things down to make them easy to understand and even put together a sports analogy regarding the fertility process so my sports-fanatic husband could understand. She is genuinely the best and made me feel at ease every step of the way.
The clinic [REACH] is busy but very organized and had great communication flow. The facility is very patient focused. For example, there is signage on the wall advising that if you were waiting more than 15 mins, to let the front desk know. I loved this because as busy as they are, service and care were very personalized...[staff was] extremely compassionate when it came to me and my husband's concerns. There were many women coming in and out of the facility but we felt like we always received one-on-one attention and care. Everything was on-time but never felt rushed...The nursing staff at Reach are amazing. They are punctual, light-hearted and always had an ear to listen and respond appropriately.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson is very knowledgeable about fertility and quickly assessed me as a patient and my personality. She is direct but passionate and solution-oriented. I felt well cared for even on my first visit. It was completely different in a positive way from an experience I had with a previous doctor in SC. She broke things down to make them easy to understand and even put together a sports analogy regarding the fertility process so my sports-fanatic husband could understand. She is genuinely the best and made me feel at ease every step of the way.
Ask questions if you don't understand something. Dr. Johnson checked in periodically during her discussions to make sure we had a full understanding so don't be shy. All questions are good and will help Dr. Johnson assess you as a patient to provide customized care.
Dr. Johnson and her team were extremely compassionate when it came to me and my husband's concerns. There were many women coming in and out of the facility but we felt like we always received one-on-one attention and care. Everything was on-time but never felt rushed.
I am still in the initial stages but I had to complete an HSG and blood work. She also provided me with a list of supplements to begin taking to help with fertility. Vitamin D, Prenatal, NeoQ10, DHEA 25. I am also going to have a hysteroscopy to detect if there is a polyp or fibroid in my uterus.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Simmons)
Describe your experience with REACH.
The clinic is busy but very organized and had great communication flow. The facility is very patient focused. For example, there is signage on the wall advising that if you were waiting more than 15 mins, to let the front desk know. I loved this because as busy as they are, service and care were very personalized.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
So far, I've had to may for the HSG (less than $500) and deductibles for blood-work/labs. Upcoming surgery will be less than $1500. Then we need to pay for treatments.
Charlotte

Dr. Johnson has been nothing but great since I’ve started my IVF journey. She always took the time to educate me on everything she did and why she was doing those things. I always felt she had my best interest at heart and never felt pressured to do anything that i didn’t want to do. She is always very professional and I’ve never felt it was about the money. From the time i walk into the facility to the time I leave it’s nothing but love.
The clinic [REACH] is always clean and the staff is always nice. Normally when contacting them through phone you will have to leave a voicemail but they will get back with you in a timely manner. Once you become a patient the patient portal is the best source of communication... Dr. Johnson’s nurse Jessica has been great. If I had any additional questions she was always available through the portal and alway got back to me in a timely manner
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She is very straight forward but don’t look at that as a negative thing. Sugar coating things aren’t always the best
From the first day of my consultation to now Dr. Johnson has been nothing but great. She has took the time to explain everything step by step and why everything she recommended was necessary. Although this process wasn’t easy being so young and of course not expecting to spend so much money just to conceive but I never felt like it was about the money to her.I love that she is compassionate but also straight to the point. Most doctors just tell you what you want to hear but Dr. Johnson has always been honest in making sure that my husband and I made the best decisions moving forward with IVF .
I haven’t started my fertility medications yet but it is coming up soon. I’ve only had testing done and a surgery
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Simmons )
Describe your experience with REACH.
The clinic is always clean and the staff is always nice. Normally when contacting them through phone you will have to leave a voicemail but they will get back with you in a timely manner. Once you become a patient the patient portal is the best source of communication
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
During most of my testing bloodwork,surgery, and specific test out of pocket so far I have spent $2500 through reach. Most of the testing and bloodwork goes through my insurance due it not being listed as fertility. My fertility medications which i haven’t started yet cost 4000. Depending on your income you can apply for compassionate care which can give you a percentage off fertility medications.
Charlotte

It's [REACH- Lake Norman] a well-oiled machine - they know what they are doing and seem to be current on all the newest research and technology. At times, I felt that the clinic was mildly disorganized and busy (they see SO many patients), but otherwise I was very pleased with how efficiently they run their clinic in order to help as many people as possible. NO place is perfect, and we were very pleased with this clinic! The receptionists were always very warm and friendly!
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing was exactly the doctor that we needed. Even though he has a ton of patients and at times I felt like more of a number, the truth is that his care over me was excellent. His review of my history was thorough, as was his diagnostic procedures. I felt like he left no stone unturned and did everything possible to set us up for success with our first IVF. His work is excellent and he is a brilliant doctor. He is also kind and warm. No doctor is perfect, and even if I can pinpoint little things about him or the clinic that I may not have preferred, I would not have traded the care I received for anything else. He knows his stuff and does everything he can to succeed. He is also knowledge and on-top of recent cutting edge research and tests in the field, so I felt like the care I got was top notch and in line with best practice. We loved Dr Wing and hope to use him again for our next transfer!
Hmm the only thing I can think of is to ask a lot of questions and if you have the urge to question what he is doing, try to trust that he really does know his stuff and closely paying attention to your case even if you didn’t see him in person at any given appointment.
Appointments felt quick. Repeat appointments sometimes reviewed the same info we had gone over the prior session.
I did 3 ovulation induction cycles with clomid or letrozole + ovidrel trigger shot, and once used Gonal F; 1 out of 3 resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately it ended up being an early miscarriage. With IVF, we did a Receptiva Dx biopsy which came back positive and therefore I was put on Lupron for 3 months prior to our frozen transfer. I don't remember all the stimulation drugs for IVF, unfortunately. Once transfer time came, I was given intralipid infusions 4 times before and after the transfer; I was also placed on 1mL intramuscular injection of progesterone in oil, 0.1mg estradiol (estrogen patches); heparin injections twice per day, and baby aspirin, as well as extra folic acid and vitamin D (in addition to my PNV).
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise and Sue)
These nurses new me by name and were very patient with my questions and anxiety. They were also very compassionate when I experienced my pregnancy loss early on, and also rejoiced with us when we first heard the heartbeat of this current (healthy) pregnancy. At times, I felt like I need to ask further questions in order to get more details (but that could just be me wanting to know everything), and sometimes I felt that some of the nurses weren't aware of the specifics of my situation. I did appreciate their prompt responses to all my phone calls and portal messages. I will miss them greatly!
Describe your experience with REACH.
It's a well-oiled machine - they know what they are doing and seem to be current on all the newest research and technology. At times, I felt that the clinic was mildly disorganized and busy (they see SO many patients), but otherwise I was very pleased with how efficiently they run their clinic in order to help as many people as possible. NO place is perfect, and we were very pleased with this clinic! The receptionists were always very warm and friendly!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
They were a very efficient and well-oiled machine. I never had to wait super long, even if there were a lot of people there for monitoring as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Our insurance didn't cover any fertility interventions, so it was quite expensive for us. However, it was helpful to have things packaged under one bundle, whether that be our Ovulation Induction Cycle or IVF package - this way we mostly just paid a one-time lump payment and that included all the monitoring and bloodwork, so we rarely got additional bills to worry about.
Describe Richard Wing's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My doctor suggested we do 1 embryo transfer since I'm still semi-young (under 35) and we have no reason to think it won't be successful. I'm sure if this pregnancy fails (I'm 10 weeks now), and/or for future transfers as I get older, he may want to transfer more than 1 to increase our odds of success. Our clinic's goal is to give us "one healthy baby", rather than multiples which increase chances of complications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Only once or twice was the clinic confused as to the nature and timing of my appointment, but this was more likely due to the fact that they have two locations so sometimes communication between the two was not perfect. But it always got sorted out and resolved while I was there and only took a phone call to fix it. It was never much of a hassle for me at all. It never impacted my care.
Cornelius

He [Dr. Seth Katz] is supportive and understanding, and I would recommend him to anyone. I appreciate his attention to current research, and the encouragement he provided to me in becoming a single parent...he is not judgemental, only encouraging...As a doctor myself I know how difficult it can be to communicate efficiently and listen to the patient. Dr. Katz, listens, is up to date on current research and has a wealth of experience in the field of fertility. He is compassionate, and encouraging. My trust in him is complete and I recommend his care to anyone.
The wait time to become a patient [at REACH] is not very long, however be aware of the doctor you are seeing and their “mindset” and experience. A weakness is that I cannot call 24/7 and start an IUI at a moments notice...this is a ridiculous weakness, as they always respond to my portal messages. The clinic is always open, no matter what. Snow storms, hurricanes, as long as you can make it there safely they will be there for you.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is one of the leading fertility doctors in Charlotte. He is supportive and understanding, and I would recommend him to anyone. I appreciate his attention to current research, and the encouragement he provided to me in becoming a single parent. I am also a doctor, practicing in a different field, and Dr. Katz has a way with patients that cannot be taught...it comes with exprerience as well as a born-with-it talent. He listens to his patients! When you truly listen to someone as a doctor, the problem, diagnosis and treatment becomes obvious.
Do not be afraid of a consult. Information is key, and why not be more informed? This doctor has done his homework, so just show up, tell him your concerns and issues, and trust him.
Dr. Katz is an amazing doctor. As a doctor myself I know how difficult it can be to communicate efficiently and listen to the patient. Dr. Katz, listens, is up to date on current research and has a wealth of experience in the field of fertility. He is compassionate, and encouraging. My trust in him is complete and I recommend his care to anyone.
I have low AMH and am 34 years old. I have undergone an egg freezing procedure at another clinic where we retrieved 5 eggs. I was ok with my care, but knew I did not want to go through this again. Dr. Katz has known me for a few years (i had an hsg after an ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago) at his clinic. He can recommended to me because he is encouraging to single mothers and families with various dynamics...in other words he is not judgemental, only encouraging. I found this to be true in his manner as well as the staff at Reach.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
They cannot call you 24/7! They are amazing. I cannot complain. I emailed them constantly and they always answered, and were extremely kind.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It is expensive, however, you get what you pay for. The clinic is comfortable...the staff is kind and the doctors are wonderful. You will come home with a baby. Tell the staff a bit about your situation when you schedule a first visit. There are certain doctors that work better for certain situations. I am a single female, seeking to become a mother, and i would highly recommend Dr. Katz. The wait time to become a patient is not very long, however be aware of the doctor you are seeing and their “mindset” and experience. A weakness is that I cannot call 24/7 and start an IUI at a moments notice...this is a ridiculous weakness, as they always respond to my portal messages. The clinic is always open, no matter what. Snow storms, hurricanes, as long as you can make it there safely they will be there for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
The cost of an IUi is about 960. The cost of egg freezing through Reach is about 6,000 not counting medication.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The only thing that was a little difficult was getting some information sent over to another clinic, but this was very minor.
Charlotte
Dr. Johnson was very straight-forward and efficient when it came to our treatment, but she never made it feel like it was because she has more things to do. Rather, she wanted to make sure our time was used wisely and wanted to make us as comfortable as possible.... Dr. Johnson sets the treatment course and monitors progress, but a nurse actually completed the insemination.... Dr. Johnson has incredible bedside manner. She is warm and welcoming and you can tell she truly cares about her patients and gets to know them very well.
REACH is definitely the most known clinic in our area, and there is a reason. Their team of doctors, nurses and staff are incredibly caring and compassionate. They are efficient and honest, and make you feel good about the choices you make and your treatment options. If you don't have the money to start treatment, they do not pressure or make you feel bad.... The nurses always called when they said they would and have always responded to my messages and questions when I had them.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson has always been very caring and honest with us. I think that a lot of times, doctors at this clinic are a bit more hands off with the IUI process, not for a lack of caring, but because it is not as costly, nor is it as complicated/complex. Dr. Johnson sets the treatment course and monitors progress, but a nurse actually completed the insemination. However, since we have been having conversations and getting prepared for the IVF process, if she was not present at my ultrasounds, then it was another doctor who completed the appointment. = Dr. Johnson has incredible bedside manner. She is warm and welcoming and you can tell she truly cares about her patients and gets to know them very well. Our personalities are very similar and it really helps us click with her in the patient/doctor relationship.
Sometimes she can move a little fast when describing things, but it is because she is trying to be efficient with time and not rush. Do not be afraid to ask questions, she will always answer them. She is very sweet and caring and you will love having her as a doctor.
We completed two IUI cycles with Clomid, based on my husband's sperm count. However, after 2 IUI cycles, it was noticed that his count significantly decreased, which is why IUI did not work either time. After this IVF became our next course of treatment. We will be starting the IVF process soon. Dr. Johnson has told us that with how low my husband's sperm count it, natural conception is not likely to every happen for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
The nurses always called when they said they would and have always responded to my messages and questions when I had them. They were always very informed about my treatment plan and would organize everything for me according to Dr. Johnson.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
IUI was about 1200 per cycle. An IVF cycle with egg retrieval was 13500, and a frozen embryo transfer is about 3000. None of these costs include medication. Any visits that have to do with the treatment cycle are covered through the cost of treatment.
Dr. Johnson mentioned that given my age, she would like to only transfer one embryo. However, we have discussed that if we have to do another cycle, that we would transfer 2 embryos. She said that as women get older, they are more likely to always implant more than one embryo.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Whelan always listens to me and takes my concerns and feelings into consideration. He doesn’t try to sugar coat things but he isn’t blunt about it. He treats me like a human and wants to do what I want to do when it comes to treatment...We did an egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I have PCOS but according to Dr. Whelan, my brain also doesn’t communicate properly with my hormones...Dr. Whelan always takes time to meet with me...He said attempting to go directly into a fresh transfer would be too confusing for my system
[REACH] Strengths are my doctor and his team. They are clearly very skilled and reliable. Weakness is having to recently deal with nurses who do not work directly with my doctor. The communication seems to be lacking and I’d prefer to only deal with my doctors nursing team...A nurse that works with another doctor forgot to call me with instructions for my FET until I called her hours after they closed...Monitoring appointments take place between 7 and 9am. It’s first come, first serve and the appointments are pretty quick and easy.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He knows what he’s talking about. If he says IVF is your best bet, he’s not out to get your money. He told us we could continue to try IUI and we would hopefully get pregnant eventually if that’s the way we wanted to go but that IVF was really what I needed and he was right.
Dr. Whelan always takes time to meet with me, even if I am not actively going through fertility treatments, to discuss my concerns about future cycles or what has gone wrong with past cycle
We did an egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I have PCOS but according to Dr. Whelan, my brain also doesn’t communicate properly with my hormones. He said attempting to go directly into a fresh transfer would be too confusing for my system and I would likely not get pregnant. We did a freeze all and went back on birth control to start a FET and managed to get pregnant the first FET round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa, our primary nurse, is a truly calming force and a wonderful nurse. She always takes time to talk to me when I’m stressed or have questions and never makes me feel like I’m too needy. Speaking to her is always reassuring to me. However, lately she has not been the nurse I have been dealing with. I will get calls from OTHER doctor’s nurses who I feel don’t really know who I am and are just reading off of papers. It’s almost never the same nurse so I constantly feel like I have to explain what was told to me by someone else to get questions answered. And one time, a nurse forgot to call me with instructions until I called looking for them because she is not my doctors nurse. If Melissa is no longer Dr. Whelan’s main nurse, they need to hire a new one that is just for his team so the communication gets better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
I do not remember my egg retrieval costs but my last FET was approximately $7500
My first FET, I had been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half with no success, not even a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Whelan knew how desperate we were to get pregnant and allowed us to transfer two embryos despite being 25 at the time. This past FET cycle, he said I could choose again whether to do two embryos or an eSET and I choose eSET as I now have a living child and was not as comfortable with the prospect of twins. This cycle was unsuccessful and our next FET we will be transferring two again, with his blessing
Charlotte

Dr. Wing is great at explaining everything in detail. He breaks everything down into terms that my husband and I can understand. Dr. Wing is also very realistic and has been honest with us of his opinion on how likely we are to conceive with different treatments.... Dr. Wing has a great bed-side manner. While under his care, we found out that I have endometrial cancer. Dr. Wing was very optimistic and did a great job of keeping my hopes high.
Overall the clinic [REACH] is great! They use all of the latest technology and can do a lot of the tests right there in the office rather than having to send them off for results. The only downfall is that they are constantly busy so it can be hard sometimes to get an appointment.... The nurses that performed the blood work and ultrasounds were fantastic! They were all very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Keep all of your records from any previous fertility treatments/doctors. Dr. Wing is able to look at those records and possibly see things that other doctors did not see.
I have not gone through a cycle with Dr. Wing yet due to him finding that I have endometrial cancer during a surgery that he performed to remove a polyp on my ovary. We planned on doing an IVF cycle using my own eggs right after the surgery. Sadly, I wasn't able to do a cycle right away because the cancer had to be treated first. The cancer has now been treated and my oncologist has given us 6 months to try to get pregnant before having to have a hysterectomy.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall the clinic is great! They use all of the latest technology and can do a lot of the tests right there in the office rather than having to send them off for results. The only downfall is that they are constantly busy so it can be hard sometimes to get an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Dr. Wing performed the surgery to remove the polyp on mg ovaries which was very costly (around $6k out of pocket). I have paid a co-pay for my other appointments with him. The cost for my IVF treatment was estimated at $14k, plus the cost of medications (which could not be determined until the time of treatment).

2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Matrika Johnson] got to know me as a person, understood how I liked to hear information and how I’d react. She treated my husband the same way and he actually enjoyed coming to the appointments to see her... made me feel like there was always hope. She is thorough, direct and still lighthearted. She made it a point to get to know me and my husband as people and as a couple. She listened to all of our questions and concerns and would even adjust her plan to compromise if ever needed. Dr J is an amazing doctor and person who made our journey amazing.
They [staff at REACH] want you to be as informed as you can be walking into this journey. The front desk staff makes an effort to get to know you. They take any questions or concerns to heart and adjusts as necessary. (I.e. I had a tough time with one of the women in the lab drawing blood who always left bruises and they made sure that my name was always called by the other technician if she was there)
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr J is a young, vibrant doctor who made me feel like there was always hope. She is thorough, direct and still lighthearted. She made it a point to get to know me and my husband as people and as a couple. She listened to all of our questions and concerns and would even adjust her plan to compromise if ever needed. Dr J is an amazing doctor and person who made our journey amazing.
Be prepared not to have sugar coated information. She likes to get to the point, solve the current hiccup and figure out the best way to have a positive result!
She got to know me as a person, understood how I liked to hear information and how I’d react. She treated my husband the same way and he actually enjoyed coming to the appointments to see her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
There was a bit of turn over when we first started that ended up with a lack of communication. However, when Jessica was assigned to our case she jumped right in and made sure that never happened again. She had great bedside manner and got to know us just as much as dr J.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is fantastic. At your first appointment you not only have a thorough sit down with your future doctor but also with the financial counselor. They want you to be as informed as you can be walking into this journey. The front desk staff makes an effort to get to know you. They take any questions or concerns to heart and adjusts as necessary. (I.e. I had a tough time with one of the women in the lab drawing blood who always left bruises and they made sure that my name was always called by the other technician if she was there)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
There was a general monitoring window first thing in the morning. Yes if you showed up at 7am there would be a line at the door (usually the same 3-4 women). However, if you go around 730, you miss the rush. Either way, they know what they’re doing and it is well run and timely. They don’t rush you out of your room either if you have questions about your ultrasound. They make sure you understand prior to heading to the next patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Due to our insurance coverage, the most cost for us ended up being my medications. Unfortunately the pharmacy they suggest (encompassRx) wasn’t covered fully but with the customer service they provided, it was totally worth the extra few dollars. My insurance covers more under Freedom Fertility but when I couldn’t even get someone to answer the phone there or leave a message, I went straight to encompass.
My husband and I had tossed around an idea to have a multiple embryo transfer. Dr J was against it and explained the risks and complications for someone of my size. I had complications at 31 weeks with just one so I am very thankful for her sticking to her guns!
Charlotte

Dr. Johnson knew our case and was very sensitive to how hard infertility can hit someone. She answered all of our questions and always called us back if we had any issues. ... Dr. Johnson gave me a hysteroscopy in order to remove polyps. She also did my complete retrieval. I had many good eggs, but my husband's sperm were less than stellar. (We didn't even know he had them until right then when they did sperm aspiration.)
Monitoring was offered first thing in the morning. I had to drive 2 hours each way, and was always in and out very quickly! ... The only issue we encountered was some discrepancy in the billing, which was remedied with a quick phone call. Each appointment [REACH] was quick, and results were given in a timely manner. They let us make final decisions on anything, while giving us great counsel, but not pressuring us into anything that we didn't want. ...
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson was very personable. She also woke up in the middle of the night to call me in another prescription when I left mine out of town. We had some unexpected complications and she adjusted accordingly.
Trust her judgement.
Dr. Johnson gave me a hysteroscopy in order to remove polyps. She also did my complete retrieval. I had many good eggs, but my husband's sperm were less than stellar. (We didn't even know he had them until right then when they did sperm aspiration.) When we only ended up with one embryo, she highly suggested we go ahead and do a three day fresh transfer instead of our planned frozen transfer. I ended up with a chemical pregnancy, but Dr. Johnson did everything she could. She also met with us afterwards to come up with our next game plan, which included a varicoselectomy for my husband. (She had suggested it before, but we had chosen to go ahead without it.)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
The nurses were wonderful! They were always ready for me during my appointments, and made sure that I was in and out as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The doctors and nurses were all wonderful! The only issue we encountered was some discrepancy in the billing, which was remedied with a quick phone call. Each appointment was quick, and results were given in a timely manner. They let us make final decisions on anything, while giving us great counsel, but not pressuring us into anything that we didn't want.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Normal IVF costs; we compared multiple clinics and REACH had lower pricing than all of the clinics in our area.
She counseled us about the difference, and highly suggested single embryo transfer for our particular situation.

2012 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Katz is very personable. He is understanding of the emotional, physical and financial toll fertility treatment can take on a person and couple. He is very knowledgeable about different medical conditions and honest about potential outcomes. He is no nonsense, which I appreciate.
Stephanie (IVF coordinator) and Melissa (IUI, etc.) are extremely caring, professional and wonderful nurses. They understand both the medical and emotional aspects of fertility treatment and are an amazing asset to REACH...[For monitoring appointments] you wait in line, get paperwork, go for either blood work first or ultrasound first. It's a quick appointment and if you need to get into your workplace, this is great. This is not the time to ask questions of your nursing team.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
If you have a question, ask. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed that you need something clarified or explained differently.
In the beginning, I felt like I was just a number going through the steps. However, the longer I was in treatment and got to know both Dr. Katz and the amazing nursing team, I began to feel more like a human.
First, we tried three cycles of injections and timed intercourse. Next, we tried two cycles of injections and IUI. My gut said it was time to move on and Dr. Katz agreed. Then, we did an IVF cycle with retrieval and intent to freeze. Unfortunately, none of my embryos make it far enough for freezing. Finally, Dr. Katz presented my case to his fellow doctors and decided to alter my medications and do another cycle without egg donation. Even though other doctors in the practice felt my first IVF cycle was a clear indication that my eggs were of poor quality and unable to be successful in the future, he wasn't convinced. We proceeded with a new, aggressive protocol. The result was four embryos that made it to freezing. All four were thawed and transferred (also a risky decision) and today I have one amazing and healthy daughter. Today, we are trying for another child. We began with two IUIs. One resulted in a negative and one in a six-week miscarriage (likely due to poor egg quality). We are currently in the process of beginning another round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Describe your experience with REACH.
It is modern and updated. Clean with state of the art equipment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
You wait in line, get paperwork, go for either blood work first or ultrasound first. It's a quick appointment and if you need to get into your workplace, this is great. This is not the time to ask questions of your nursing team.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Fertility treatment is VERY expensive. IUI was approximately $2000 including medication (purchased elsewhere). IVF was approximately $12000 for all procedures, tests, appointments and medication (purchased from a separate place).
Charlotte

Dr. Whelan was very through from our first meeting with him and spent as much time with us as required. We never felt rushed or that he wasn't willing to answer our questions. Our experience with Dr. Whelan was that at times we may have had to wait a bit to see him, but he would spend as much time with us as we needed. His approach is very factual and realistic, which my husband and I appreciated...many times at follow up appointments, we would have the same conversations or information provided. For some patients that may not be as clear on the process/issue/procedures, this may be helpful but it left me feeling at times as if I was just a "case" and not a person.
REACH is a very busy clinic. They primarily use an online portal for communication which can be accessed at any time and is efficient. Once you start a cycle, your appointments are very regimented. REACH does have an onsite surgery clinic and IVF lab so most of your procedures will be done there. The staff in the onsite surgery facility are awesome and so caring. My main challenge was with the billing department as the invoices do not contain details of what is being billed; however, this improved throughout our time at REACH.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
If you are a patient at REACH, do not expect to see your primary doctor once you start monitoring as they work as a team on rotation for monitoring. Your primary doctor will perform your embryo transfers and other procedures but may not perform your egg retrieval depending on your scheduled retrieval date. In addition, most of your communication once you start your cycle will go through your nursing team.
When ever we met with Dr. Whelan, both my husband and I were satisfied with our experience. Dr. Whelan was very through from our first meeting with him and spent as much time with us as required. We never felt rushed or that he wasn't willing to answer our questions. My feeling is because REACH is such a busy practice, many times at follow up appointments, we would have the same conversations or information provided. For some patients that may not be as clear on the process/issue/procedures, this may be helpful but it left me feeling at times as if I was just a "case" and not a person. Additionally, at times the nurse coordinators weren't completely informed of our discussions with Dr. Whelan which would at times lead to confusion about the plan of treatment.
IVF cycle # 1: oral BC suppression, gonal-f, low dose hcg, cetrotide and ovidrel trigger. Resulted in 10 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI, At time of Day 5 transfer, only 1 early blastocyst and 1 morula remained; both were transferred. Positive pregnancy of 1 embryo resulting in miscarriage at approximately 9 weeks. IVF cycle #2: oral BC suppression, gonal-f, low dose hcg, omnitrope (for entire stim cycle), cetrotide and ovidrel trigger. Resulted in 14 eggs retrieved (all 14 mature) and fertilized via ICSI. At Day 5, 2 hatching blastocysts were transferred. 2 were watched for continued growth but arrested and were not frozen. Positive pregnancy of 1 embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
The nursing staff at REACH was available via the portal or triage line and responsive. You will be assigned a primary team based on your physician, however, at times you may be contacted by other staff. Melissa and Veronica work primarily with Dr. Whelan and would always respond to my questions (even small ones) within the same day. Melissa is very organized and in fact, during our first cycle, Dr. Whelan advised we could start the process the same day we were in for a follow up appointment. She worked in my saline sonogram, consent review, lab work, injection training and ordered meds all while we were in the office that day so that we didn't have to come back or delay the cycle. We were extremely grateful she made it work for us!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments will be done from 7-10am and you can go in at any time during that window. If you arrive at 7am there will be a line but REACH is very efficient at moving people through who are there for monitoring. I did not feel that this approach ruined my schedule as I typically could get in and out very quickly first thing in the morning.
Charlotte

I felt she [Dr. Johnson] was invested in our treatment plan and very much wanted to aid us in growing our family. ... I felt that she was very informed about what would be the best treatment for me and my ovarian reserve and didn't follow the "script" of what I should do but came up with a customized treatment plan. ... She let us know that it would be best to skip just medication and move straight to IUI which felt good since we had been trying for a year and were very ready to start our family. ...
The nurse practitioner [REACH] who did the procedure called out the nurse assisting her in the middle of the procedure and caused the nurse to flee, crying. Also, there were so many women doing blood draw in the morning that there wasn't a lot of privacy which could feel vulnerable. ... Jessica [nurse] was very organized and acted as the voice between us and Dr. Jackson. She kept us organized and would let me know when i needed to come in for blood draw.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
I felt she was invested in our treatment plan and very much wanted to aid us in growing our family. She was also excited when we conceived. She let us know that it would be best to skip just medication and move straight to IUI which felt good since we had been trying for a year and were very ready to start our family.
She is competent and personal and will customize a plan to your individual needs. She is passionate about fertility and infertility and can rattle off a lot of knowledge but still have a good laugh with you.
I was given medication to help my fertility and then nearing my time of ovulation, I was to take injections directly into my stomach (which was scary at first). I then had to take Ovidril so that I would actually ovulate. My cycle and eggs were monitored via intravaginal ultrasounds and blood draw. She recommended going straight to IUI rather than take Clomid or another medicine due to my age and ovarian reserve. The results were a pregnancy with multiples in 2 cycles rather than 5-6 cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica )
Jessica was very organized and acted as the voice between us and Dr. Jackson. She kept us organized and would let me know when i needed to come in for blood draw. She also communicated with us when we saw that I was ovulating 4 eggs and not just 1 which meant our risk for multiples was very high.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The only problem I had was during the test to see if my fallopian tubes were open and functioning well. The nurse practitioner who did the procedure called out the nurse assisting her in the middle of the procedure and caused the nurse to flee, crying. Also, there were so many women doing blood draw in the morning that there wasn't a lot of privacy which could feel vulnerable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
I had to pay a cycle fee each time we did IUI so that they monitored my cycle. This was not covered by my insurance. The medications were a bit pricey even with insurance. The procedures themselves were covered by insurance. The cycle fee was $160, I believe.
This did not apply to me.

2015, Successful
Lauren [Johnson] took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care. She had an amazing bedside manner that made our IVF failure more bearable to know she was behind us 100% to try to get us to where we wanted in the future... a future with our own children...Lauren had a plan in place every step of the way. From start to finish, she made clear expectations and results expected. Although our IVF did not succeed, we knew where to go next.
I feel that they [REACH] have doctors that can help each person to achieve their fertility goals. They have plans that can suit and change as needed per patient. I always felt like a human and not a number. They always went above and beyond to make me comfortable and explain the plans of procedure....Elisha was SO sweet and caring in every interaction....Lauren [Johnson] took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Lauren had a plan in place every step of the way. From start to finish, she made clear expectations and results expected. Although our IVF did not succeed, we knew where to go next. We ironically had a spontaneous pregnancy 4 months after our failed cycle. We were planning on tying again the following year with her recommendation for the updated protocol.
let her handle it, and trust her knowledge on getting you on the right path to your fertility needs.
Lauren took the time to go above and beyond with patience and care. She had an amazing bedside manner that made our IVF failure more bearable to know she was behind us 100% to try to get us to where we wanted in the future... a future with our own children
I do not recall at the moment but would be happy to provide this information after contacting my clinic for the information
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Elisha)
Elisha was SO sweet and caring in every interaction.
Describe your experience with REACH.
I feel that they have doctors that can help each person to achieve their fertility goals. They have plans that can suit and change as needed per patient. I always felt like a human and not a number. They always went above and beyond to make me comfortable and explain the plans of procedure.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
$10,000 through work compensation for IVF, and another 5-10K on top of that out of our pocket for IVF (this excludes any other treatments we saw under other doctors)
We chose two embryos for the likelihood of pregnancy after transfer as well as our ability to financially support multiples of that should happen.

2014, Successful
We started with Clomid the lowest dosage and ovidrel shot. He [Dr Joseph Whelan] mentioned that he started with the lowest dosage to try and control how many eggs were released and decrease the chance of multiples as best he could. I really appreciated this. We did 3 IUIs which was what he recommended before IVF. Fortunately we were successful with the 3rd IUI. With Each IUI he adjusted the timing of the shot and IUI procedure in accordance with the information he gathered from blood tests.
Reach was Amazing. I always joked that they deal with women who are on a lot of hormones so they have to be sensitive. But they went above and beyond for me. At one point I was supposed to have a Ovidrel shot on a Sunday and unfortunately the mail order pharmacy messed up and i didn't get it. Reach went out of their way to find the Pharmaceutical rep and made them bring what i needed to my house! And this was the cycle that was successful. So if it hadn't been for the amazing staff at Reach providing amazing service, I wouldn't have had my son.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Dr. Whelan was a great doctor. He explained the science behind everything and outlined what to expect each time we saw him. I would say if you are looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear, that would not be him. He tells you the facts in a professional and compassionate way, and communicated the understanding as to what he thought. He was a great doctor and made me feel extremely comfortable to leave my care in his hands.
Ask questions if you do not understand. He will explain things until you understand them.
He explained all of the science behind the treatments. And also explained that each treatment was diagnostic and we learn from each one. He set expectations appropriately and answered all of my questions so that I could understand.
We started with Clomid the lowest dosage and ovidrel shot. He mentioned that he started with the lowest dosage to try and control how many eggs were released and decrease the chance of multiples as best he could. I really appreciated this. We did 3 IUIs which was what he recommended before IVF. Fortunately we were successful with the 3rd IUI. With Each IUI he adjusted the timing of the shot and IUI procedure in accordance with the information he gathered from blood tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica Bennett)
Veronica was amazing. She made me feel extremely comfortable and guided me through the process with compassion and humor. She was such a blessing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
It was expensive and we had insurance that helped pay 80% after a deductible. But they work with you to figure out what you can do. They were really helpful in making it somewhat affordable.

2012 - 2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Seth Katz at REACH in Charlotte] never gave us false hope but always made sure we knew he would do everything he could to help us conceive. He cried both happy and sad tears with us and never made us feel pressured to do anything we weren't ready for. I never once questioned if my care was in the right hands.
They [REACH in Charlotte] are a wonderful clinic with a very competent staff. I saw several of the other doctors during cycle monitoring checks and they all seemed very professional and knowledgeable. Some seemed to be warmer than others, which is good since different patients want different types of doctors....initial diagnostic testing and procedures - $800 roughly surgery - $2,500 roughly IVF medications - $5000 roughly IVF procedure - $14,000
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz was compassionate and upfront about what we would be dealing with in order to conceive. He never "talked down" to us, like some doctors can do. He always made sure we understood what was going on, why he recommended certain treatments and what the next steps would be. He never gave us false hope but always made sure we knew he would do everything he could to help us conceive. He cried both happy and sad tears with us and never made us feel pressured to do anything we weren't ready for. I never once questioned if my care was in the right hands.
Go in willing to listen to what he recommends. He is a very competent doctor who knows what the best treatment plan is for different fertility issues.
Dr. Katz is very sympathetic to his patients emotional situation but is also very candid and honest about your medical situation. He always explained in great detail our test and procedure results so we understood everything that was going on.
Our first step was trying to figure out why we weren't getting pregnant on our own. A blood test and hcg were done. During the hcg he discovered I had blocked/infected fallopian tubes as well as a low ovarian reserve. The next step was surgery to attempt to clear the blockage and infection from the tubes. He was upfront about the likelihood of removing one (and possibly both) of the tubes due to scar tissue and damage from the infected fluid. The end result was one tube was removed and the other, now cleared of infection, was in poor condition from scar tissue. He advised us our next step should be IVF since that was the only treatment option that completely bypassed the fallopian tube. Once we were ready (about a year later) we began IVF injections and monitoring. Our first cycle was canceled due to poor response to medications. Some adjustments were made to dosages and we began a second cycle. This cycle resulted in 6 eggs being retrieved, 5 were fertilized, two were transferred at 5 days and the remaining three were monitored for possible freezing. Of those three only one was viable to freeze, which we did. The two which were transferred resulted in a healthy twin pregnancy and live twin birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
They returned calls very quickly and all questions were answered as soon as possible. They did everything they could to help, inform and support us. Stephanie was incredibly compassionate, she called, just to check on us, several times during our cycle. She was encouraging and sympathetic.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They are a wonderful clinic with a very competent staff. I saw several of the other doctors during cycle monitoring checks and they all seemed very professional and knowledgeable. Some seemed to be warmer than others, which is good since different patients want different types of doctors.
Charlotte

Dr. Lauren Johnson treated me with respect and kindness...Great care and excellent experience. Explained treatment options and course of action. Very patient and I never felt rushed. Dr. Johnson took her time and was always aware of my feelings and needs. I would recommend Dr. Lauren Johnson to others. She is a respectable doctor...is going to take her time and not rush into anything. As a patient, be ready for the process to take time.
The nursing staff at REACH are available through a patient portal. They always respond within a timely manner. The nurses go out of their way to give the patients excellent care...I had an embryo transfer scheduled on a Friday and the week before the transfer, REACH called me to tell me they would be closed because it was a holiday. Therefore, I had to take a weeks worth of extra medication to keep my body ready for the transfer...Strengths- Nursing staff, Doctor knowledge, patient care Weakness- Payment options, financial planning As a new patient, you need to be ready for a long a committed process. Everyone's timeline is different and you just have to trust the doctor's and the process.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Lauren Johnson is going to take her time and not rush into anything. As a patient, be ready for the process to take time.
Dr. Lauren Johnson treated me with respect and kindness.
5 IUIs 5 embryo transfers 1 laparoscopy 3 hysteroscopies Outcome- currently 27 weeks pregnant with a baby boy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Insurance covered part and out of pocket was around $50,000.
We decided together the best choice.
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Katz was very personable and understanding. He was very caring towards me as a person. He came up with a personalized treatment plan specifically just for me and was very involved in the process.... We used gonal f, lo dose hcg and omnitrope for my protocol. We also used testosterone prior to stimming. With the added use of the omnitrope for my diminished ovarian reserve we had much better results with icsi and I became pregnant with a Singleton.
This clinic [REACH] has wonderful providers and nursing staff. Even the lab tech and front desk staff are great. They are great at communication and also compassion. I highly recommend this practice. We will be returning when we are ready for baby number 2... [Cost Of Treatment] All in we spent about 35k. We used the attain program and all payment was due up front. The attain program was great... They promptly returned my emails and calls and answered all questions o had.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz was the best doctor I have ever had. He was compassionate and understanding and is very knowledgeable. He diagnosed me and came up with the proper treatment plan to get me pregnant and it ended up working.
I would say just be prepared for any outcome as the this journey is a very difficult Journey. Dr. Katz is an excellent doctor and he will do everything and anything in his power to give you the best chances for succeeding
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and mary)
Both girls were wonderful. They promptly returned my emails and calls and answered all questions o had.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic has wonderful providers and nursing staff. Even the lab tech and front desk staff are great. They are great at communication and also compassion. I highly recommend this practice. We will be returning when we are ready for baby number 2
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
My Dr decides on how many to transfer based on the patient. Due to my history of poor egg quality we both agreed on transferring two.

2015 - 2017, Successful
He [Dr. Wing] was very matter of fact but with a warmth that made me feel like he cared for me more than just a number and source of money. I truly felt like he developed a personalized protocol to yield the best results for me....He said if i wasn't ready for twins, he wouldn't transfer more than 1. ...We had male factor infertility so Dr. Wing used a conservative treatment for me based on all my tests and #'s. He made sure to not overstimulate me.
Overall everyone [REACH] was very professional. One weakness is the financial person - she was the opposite of everyone else there. She was cold and not compassionate. Be prepared for this step if you need financial help....Mary was compassionate, empathetic and warm. She was amazing at making me feel not overwhelmed during every step....
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
He was very matter of fact but with a warmth that made me feel like he cared for me more than just a number and source of money. I truly felt like he developed a personalized protocol to yield the best results for me.
Be prepared for him to not beat around the bush but to expect real answers from him.
He was very warm
We had male factor infertility so Dr. Wing used a conservative treatment for me based on all my tests and #'s. He made sure to not overstimulate me. 1st ER - 12 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 4 embryos created, 2 made it to day 5. Resulted in miscarriage 2nd ER - 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 4 embryos created, 1 made it to day 5. PGS testing abnormal. Embryo discarded 3rd ER - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 2 embryos created, 1 made it to day 5 - resulted in live birth
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartpence)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall everyone was very professional. One weakness is the financial person - she was the opposite of everyone else there. She was cold and not compassionate. Be prepared for this step if you need financial help.
He said if i wasn't ready for twins, he wouldn't transfer more than 1. It was never an issue b/c we never had more than 1 ready at Day 5

2013 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Joseph Whelan] has a good bedside manner. He was very informative and explained everything in detail so that we could understand it. He explained all of the procedures and reasons behind doing them. We never left feeling confused or let down.... Husband and I both were tested in the beginning. Husband’s sperm was tested for mobility. I had a dye test done on my uterus, Fallopian tubes and ovaries to make sure nothing was blocking the eggs from reaching the sperm. We were diagnosed with unexplained infertility. We had been trying to conceive for 6 years prior. Dr. Whelan recommended IVF.
[REACH is] Very organized with the exception of the billing department. They waited too long to bill my insurance and I got a bill exactly one year later. Was not happy about it. Found out they also messed up the numbers on my file and then tried telling me that my insurance denied them. Not true.... They [the nursing staff] had very good bedside manners. Very compassionate. Very informative.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He has a good bedside manner. He was very informative and explained everything in detail so that we could understand it. He explained all of the procedures and reasons behind doing them. We never left feeling confused or let down.
Try to be patient and understanding of why they perform the tests and procedures that they do. Ask lots of questions.
He was very knowledgeable and kind. Explained everything in detail. Never felt rushed. Good bedside manner.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
They had very good bedside manners. Very compassionate. Very informative.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
Don’t remember the costs. Insurance covered most of it. I think we paid $1500.