1524 East Morehead Street
Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874

he [Dr. Joseph Whelan] explains things very throuroghy and answers all my questions. There have been several appointments where he stayed past our appointment time so we got all our questions answered...He is very thorough and knowledgeable...He is very matter of fact and blunt, but does want the best for you. He isn't present at every monitoring visit and occasionally it may be hard to get a response...My body has responded and follicles have grown after the Clomid. My first round I did take a progesterone test and confirmed that I did ovulate which means the trigger shot did it's job.
[The nurse at REACH is] always friendly and responsive...One time I came in for a visit and they had it down as an embyo transfer visit. We are just doing medicated cycles. They fixed it right away and I was still seen..., my HSG was about $2,000 because I had to do it at a hospital...Billing can be a pain...But the hours are convenient. Monitoring can have a long wait, but I like that it's drop-in in the morning before I go to work. I also like that you can do everything in the building. Lab staff is also friendly. It is easy to schedule and I like using their online portal.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is very thorough and knowledgeable. He will take the time to explain things. He will explain your options and give you time to decide what you want to do. He is very matter of fact and blunt, but does want the best for you. He isn't present at every monitoring visit and occasionally it may be hard to get a response.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Don't expect the warm and fuzziest, but expect honesty and answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Leading up to the visit, it can feel like you're a number, but once I get to talk to my doctor, he explains things very throuroghy and answers all my questions. There have been several appointments where he stayed past our appointment time so we got all our questions answered.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I have done monitored medicated cycles with Clomid 50 mg and an Ovidrel trigger shot. We chose this due to our budget. Currently in my second cycle. My body has responded and follicles have grown after the Clomid. My first round I did take a progesterone test and confirmed that I did ovulate which means the trigger shot did it's job. However, we did not result in a pregnancy. So far this round, I had two mature follicles before triggering and now we're waiting for results. The doctor told us it may take 3-5 rounds to get pregnant using this method.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica)
She's always friendly and responsive.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It feels sterile when you first go and be prepared to talk about financing first. Billing can be a pain. And there have been some mix-ups at check-in for me like having me down for the wrong type of visit. But the hours are convenient. Monitoring can have a long wait, but I like that it's drop-in in the morning before I go to work. I also like that you can do everything in the building. Lab staff is also friendly. It is easy to schedule and I like using their online portal.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
It's been about $220 plus $220 for meds each monitored medicated round. That includes ultrasound and copays. Before treatment, my HSG was about $2,000 because I had to do it at a hospital.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
One time I came in for a visit and they had it down as an embyo transfer visit. We are just doing medicated cycles. They fixed it right away and I was still seen. I was also awaiting results. When I got a call back, they started to give me protocol info and then added to come in for an IUI. We weren't doing an IUI which I said right away. She apologized and acknowledged that was incorrect.
Charlotte

Dr Johnson has always taken the time to sit with us and go through each part of our diagnosis process. she takes the time to answer each question we have to the best of her ability and never rushes us though our appointments. she has always been very honest about outcomes and treatment options, even if it’s not what we want to hear ... Dr Johnson takes the time to really listen to mine and my partners wants and needs. she never makes me feel like I am one of a bunch of patients, she makes us feel like in the time we’re with her, she is 100% committed to us
We have seen 2 RNs while we have been at REACH and they both treated us with compassion and we felt like they were more so people we were getting to know and not just our doctors nurses ... Everything about the clinic has been great. the one thing I do have to say is that I have gotten double billed for services and with something that is as pricy and sensitive as fertility treatments, it’s just a minor flaw that can easily be handled by the finance department
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
If it is important to you to have a Dr that treats you like more then just another patient, Dr Johnson is your Dr
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Charlotte

Dr. Matrika Johnson was extremely delicate and sensitive to all that I have been through. ... Dr. M Johnson was very knowledgeable and gave me great information. She did an exam and made sure that she understood all details before making a decision. ... I saw Dr. M Johnson for a second opinion after a cancelled IVF cycle with another clinic.
I had a hard time getting this clinic [REACH] to send my records to a different clinic. It took a very long time but in the end, it did get done. ... The financial coordinators at this clinic are hard to get in touch with and don't usually have quick answers. This clinic is very busy so plan to wait some. Use the patient portal to communicate the fastest.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
I saw Dr. M Johnson for a second opinion after a cancelled IVF cycle with another clinic. Dr. M Johnson was very knowledgeable and gave me great information. She did an exam and made sure that she understood all details before making a decision.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matrika Johnson at REACH?
There are 2 Dr. Johnson's at REACH. Be sure you are meeting with the correct one!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Describe the protocols Matrika Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I saw Dr. M. Johnson for a workup and consult so we did not use any medication. She did an internal ultrasound in order to see better what was going on.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Simmons)
Jessica was great with communication and answering all of my questions. She was also great at answering portal messages very quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
The cost for the consultation was $95.
Describe Matrika Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
None
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
I had a hard time getting this clinic to send my records to a different clinic. It took a very long time but in the end, it did get done.

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Katz always made me feel like someone special. He would answer all of my questions honestly and would give me the answers that I needed to hear, not what I want to hear. He never let me leave feeling like I was just a number. I always left ready to come back for the next step. ... At the time of my transfer I was 21, and with that Dr. Katz wanted to only transfer 1 embryo. But I completely get it. They want to make sure you have 1 healthy embryo to make one healthy child.
They [REACH] definitely stay on top of everything once your cycles start. The start process may seem slow but everything goes quickly once your cycles go. ... Selena and Kelly always made sure I had the answers that I needed when I would contact them on the portal. They never left me hanging. ... I honestly dont have anything that I can say I dont like about REACH. They treated us so well.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Seth Katz at REACH?
Dont be afraid to ask him his opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Seth Katz at REACH?
Every doctor visit, all of them knew us by our name and always treated us with great care.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Selena and Kelly)
Describe your experience with REACH.
They definitely stay on top of everything once your cycles start. The start process may seem slow but everything goes quickly once your cycles go. I honestly dont have anything that I can say I dont like about REACH. They treated us so well.
Describe Seth Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Charlotte

He [Dr. Katz] was very personable. Understood the frustrations of fertility. It’s been 4 years of trying and no success. 4 failed IUIs and 2 miscarriages before IUIs. Then he knew how it would be with endometriosis and told us IVF would be the safest and best way for us to be able to have a baby.... He explained everything in terms that my husband and I could easily Understand and was very caring as to how long of a process this has been with two miscarriages along the way
Nursing staff [REACH - Charlotte] was very on top of everything and knew Dr Katz wishes for my treatment... Very organized. Helpful staff and super clean. I would recommend them to anyone looking for fertility care. They offer insurance type programs as well as financing options. Staff was welcoming to my husband and I.... It’s going to be around $15K for one cycle and goes up from there.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
He was very personable. Understood the frustrations of fertility. It’s been 4 years of trying and no success. 4 failed IUIs and 2 miscarriages before IUIs. Then he knew how it would be with endometriosis and told us IVF would be the safest and best way for us to be able to have a baby.
Have any prior information with you from other OBGYNs or previous fertility doctor and be prepared to love his caring ness.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Nursing staff was very on top of everything and knew Dr Katz wishes for my treatment
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
It’s going to be around $15K for one cycle and goes up from there.

2019, Consult
Dr. Whelan listened to my concerns and my opinions and informed me with information that I was unaware of. He told me everything that the other fertility Dr. Did not. He gained my trust...very attentive person who was very straight forward with me. He gave me the pros and cons. He gave me the chance to think everything over before I decided to make a decision. He never tried to push me to make a decision.
Front desk administrators staff [at REACH] needs to communicate with each other more. Pay more attention when making appointments. Clinical staffs are pretty good with getting patients back to see the Drs. in a timely fashion...Appointment time was scheduled wrong. Was given the wrong appointment time...[nurse was] Very nice and understanding. Explanation was very thorough and precise...
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He's a very attentive person who was very straight forward with me. He gave me the pros and cons. He gave me the chance to think everything over before I decided to make a decision. He never tried to push me to make a decision. That's what I loved about him.
He's very honest. Please be open minded.
Dr. Whelan listened to my concerns and my opinions and informed me with information that I was unaware of. He told me everything that the other fertility Dr. Did not. He gained my trust. He made me feel human unlike the other Dr. I've seen who made me feel like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Sue O Brien)
Very nice and understanding. Explanation was very thorough and precise.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Front desk administrators staff needs to communicate with each other more. Pay more attention when making appointments. Clinical staffs are pretty good with getting patients back to see the Drs. in a timely fashion. They are caring.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Appointment time was scheduled wrong. Was given the wrong appointment time.
Charlotte
For the few times I did actually see Dr Katz he was very nice and didn't rush us when we were talking to him. He had a good bedside manner. Never made us feel bad. When our first round didn't cause successful ovulation he adjusted my meds...Don't expect to always see him for follicle scans...Katz was very personable and treated me like a patient and not a number
All the staff and nurses [at REACH] we met and talked to were very nice and patient and if we didn't understand something they'd always answer our questions....Advocate for yourself and make sure you understand your treatment cycle 100% if you not be sure to call and ask questions. Use the online portal, if something isn't working don't be afraid to ask to try something new
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Don't expect to always see him for follicle scans
I thought Katz was very personable and treated me like a patient and not a number
Describe the protocols Seth Katz used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
We did Letrozole and ti the first round, after that we upped the Letrozole to 7.5 and added the Ovidrel trigger shots
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Selena )
All the staff and nurses we met and talked to were very nice and patient and if we didn't understand something they'd always answer our questions
Describe your experience with REACH.
He isn't always gonna be the doctor you see. Advocate for yourself and make sure you understand your treatment cycle 100% if you not be sure to call and ask questions. Use the online portal, if something isn't working don't be afraid to ask to try something new.
I don't honestly remember
Didn't get that far
Charlotte

We felt as if we were human because he [Dr. Joseph Whelan] constantly knew our story, and has continued to walk beside us as we make all of our own decisions in the options that he has given us. He is very knowledgeable and will give you honest advise.... My husband was diagnosed with Klinefelter syndrome from Dr. DeBord (a urologist in Concord, NC). This is a genetic syndrome that causes infertility. Our only option is now IVF.
I think this clinic [REACH- Charlotte] is very focused on the goal to help patients grow their family. They genuinely care for you as a person/couple, and they want to support you throughout your journey. This season of life is hard and this clinic has made it easier to accept that we are struggling through infertility. A weakness would be the cost, and I know there isn't much they can do about that. It is truly the only downfall to having to have an IVF treatment at this clinic
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
From the moment we became patients at REACH we felt like family. We have always been well taken care of and all of our questions have been answered appropriately. We trust this clinic and would recommend it to anyone.
Know that you are there to figure out your journey to growing your family. Dr. Whelan is honest, but kind. He wants to do what is safe and best for you.
We felt as if we were human because he constantly knew our story, and has continued to walk beside us as we make all of our own decisions in the options that he has given us. He is very knowledgeable and will give you honest advise.
My husband was diagnosed with Klinefelter syndrome from Dr. DeBord (a urologist in Concord, NC). This is a genetic syndrome that causes infertility. Our only option is now IVF. We have not started any treatments because we are trying to figure out our funds to be able to do so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica and Melissa)
The nurse staff was always helpful with every question that we had and continue to have. They have been a blessing throughout our journey to help us learn the specifics of infertility.
Describe your experience with REACH.
I think this clinic is very focused on the goal to help patients grow their family. They genuinely care for you as a person/couple, and they want to support you throughout your journey. This season of life is hard and this clinic has made it easier to accept that we are struggling through infertility. A weakness would be the cost, and I know there isn't much they can do about that. It is truly the only downfall to having to have an IVF treatment at this clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
Most of my costs have been fully covered because we have only completed the testing portion of our infertility. IVF is our next step and our insurance will not cover it. We are struggling to figure out where we will find the funds.
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Our doctor prefers eSET due to the higher risks with multiple embryo transfer.
Charlotte

Dr Johnson never made me feel rushed. She was honest but positive, candid but kind. She was extremely patient and overall wonderful...has done research specifically for my case, and changed treatment courses when things weren't working...[she] only wanted to transfer one for my first two transfers. Especially as I'm very small framed. After two failures, she let us elect to choose to transfer more if we wished.
Some of the nurses [at REACH] aren't my favorite. But there are a couple I absolutely adore. My nursing team feels like family. They all know me by name and genuinely care for me...I have done one egg retrieval and 5 transfer cycles. Two were cancelled. On both the cancelled cycles, Dr. Johnson adjusted the protocol and found a new thing to try...Overall ive only had one miscommunication. I was sent some inaccurate paperwork.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is an amazing doctor. She has done research specifically for my case, and changed treatment courses when things weren't working. I have no bad things to say about her. She even remembers things I tell her unrelated to treatment, and will chat with me during procedures! I can tell she truly cares about me
Be prepared to ask lots of questions!
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
I have done one egg retrieval and 5 transfer cycles. Two were cancelled. On both the cancelled cycles, Dr. Johnson adjusted the protocol and found a new thing to try. We are still getting it right, but we are getting closer and closer. She has also performed numerous testing on me, including a hysteroscopy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH.
Some of the nurses aren't my favorite. But there are a couple I absolutely adore. My nursing team feels like family. They all know me by name and genuinely care for me.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is great. The financial part sucks. They are bad communicators and often rude or insensitive. I dislike my financial coordinator. Everyone else is amazing. I'm friendly with the receptionists and phlebotomists.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Expensive. I think total cost so far is in the 40k area. Insurance covered a fair portion.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
Dr. Johnson only wanted to transfer one for my first two transfers. Especially as I'm very small framed. After two failures, she let us elect to choose to transfer more if we wished.
Charlotte

[Dr. Seth Katz] He was very nice and professional but it seemed like he held back on additional information that he could have provided. After he told me everything he would have handled differently and expressed very vocally that he would be doing my next transfer...The medication and protocols used for me I would say the “standard” course of action for someone that doesn’t suffer from infertility, my husband does
[REACH clinic] Strength- the head nurse seemed to be very involved. However the quotes provided were more than double for my medicine which is absurd because I was told I was prescribed less than a standard patient...For checkups, egg retrevial, a transfer, and freezing two embryos we ended up paying a little over 20k...
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
He was very nice and professional but it seemed like he held back on additional information that he could have provided. After he told me everything he would have handled differently and expressed very vocally that he would be doing my next transfer. The person that did my transfer asked a lot of questions during it and it all seemed off.
Come with a lot of questions and do a lot of research on your own.
I felt like I was treated as a human because he answered any questions I had and spoke to me like a normal person. However, I felt like I had to pry at times to get answers which was aggravating because I didn’t always know the questions to ask. This was our first time undergoing IVF.
The medication and protocols used for me I would say the “standard” course of action for someone that doesn’t suffer from infertility, my husband does. He mentioned knowing I could handle more after the first round, we would “up the meds” if I wanted to do a second retrieval so we could get more eggs. He said he didn’t know how my body would react but now that he does we would take that course of action next time. We never had to stop treatment during my time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
I do not feel like they were organized. I feel like they took on to many cases at once almost. My husband had frozen sperm banked elsewhere and they forgot to tell me I needed to have it transferred on my own after I filled out all the necessary paperwork due to a screening not being complete at the time he banked. The only reason it was addressed was because I followed up with them to make sure they had it. I feel like that’s a huge “uh oh”, I was doing my egg retrieval in just a few days. If I remember correctly, it was three days prior.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strength- the head nurse seemed to be very involved. However the quotes provided were more than double for my medicine which is absurd because I was told I was prescribed less than a standard patient. One prescription was 10k, they quoted me around 3-5k total. As many patients as they see I don’t know how you could be so far off. I understand a quote is very much just that, a quote. But, this was very far off from the reality of what we ended up paying.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
It was a pretty long line that would start at a minimum of 30 minutes prior to the clinic even opening.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Dr. Katz only wanted to do one because “they don’t really like doing more than one” and I had a high chance of getting pregnant so it wasn’t really an option. I have two frozen, one with a higher grade and one with a lower. That being the case he said he would transfer two next time if I wanted. I felt like I should have had more of an option with the first transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
My husbands Sperm was never transferred after they told me they were taking care of it. We had to sign the form for it to be released more than once because they lost it. All of this was right before my retrieval and was very stressful. I didn’t feel like I really mattered to the clinic. Just another number.
Charlotte

Dr. Johnson is firm but also relatable. She makes it a point to personalize the treatment plan to what the patient desires and is comfortable doing...I am still undergoing treatment. I am taking prenatals and other meds to prep for pregnancy soon...I appreciate that she has to be firm and give the facts. That can sting at times and difficult to accept, even when it is the truth
The front desk staff [of REACH] needs some sensitivity training. Everyone else is professional and easy to work with. Responsiveness is on point and they make me feel like I am important and that they are a part of MY team helping me get to my baby...She [Dr. Johnson] makes it a point to personalize the treatment plan to what the patient desires and is comfortable doing
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
I appreciate that she has to be firm and give the facts. That can sting at times and difficult to accept, even when it is the truth. It would be awesome to incorporate some of the real-life successes using non-traditional methods that I've discovered on my own, but maybe that's not how it works.
Be prepared to hear the truth. But also know that she will help you achieve your dream of being a parent.
Dr. Johnson is firm but also relatable. She makes it a point to personalize the treatment plan to what the patient desires and is comfortable doing. That helps in not feeling like you are just a part of a baby factory.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Everyone I have encountered has been awesome. Very helpful.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The front desk staff needs some sensitivity training. Everyone else is professional and easy to work with. Responsiveness is on point and they make me feel like I am important and that they are a part of MY team helping me get to my baby.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Don't remember, but nothing I didn't expect.

Embryo Freezing
So far so good no complaints [with REACH] and I love the discretion they take when handle my information and I because this is a sensitive subject for me....They [nurses] respond quickly...She [Dr. Matrika Johnson] makes sure to answer any questions I have throughout the process and made it clear she will do whatever she can in her power to make me a mom...She makes me feel as though she is only working with me and doesn't generalize things that are specific to me....I appreciate her approach and her outlook. When I broke down she talked me through it....she made it clear whatever she can do to make me a mother she will.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dont be afraid to ask questions because she will answer them for you.
She makes sure to answer any questions I have throughout the process and made it clear she will do whatever she can in her power to make me a mom.
They respond quickly
Describe your experience with REACH.
So far so good no complaints and I love the discretion they take when handle my information and I because this is a sensitive subject for me....I never imagined I would not be able to conceive naturally
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
I have awesome insurance so thus far my cost have been pretty minimal I'm just nervous for the IVF to start I've only had tests and noth my tubes removed
That step is coming soon
2019, Consult
Dr Katz was very warm, provided great information... Went in for a consultation and had ultrasound, blood work. Given treatment options. Everything look good, given numbers and I am just waiting to proceed financially. I also have some medical issues such as low iron and some immunization that I need to take care of and my partner needs a sperm analysis
The wait time [at REACH] was long waiting for the nurse and bloodwork. Everything was fine. I would say be on time, ready to get bloodwork, ultrasound and have your questions ready also have your spouse if possible... They called with updates and answer all my call through the patient portal.... Dr Katz was very warm, provided great information...Went in for a consultation and had ultrasound, blood work. Given treatment options
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
He is great have your questions ready
Dr Katz was very warm, provided great information
He thought a normal IVF cycle would be best.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Celeste)
They called with updates and answer all my call through the patient portal.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The wait time was long waiting for the nurse and bloodwork. Everything was fine. I would say be on time, ready to get bloodwork, ultrasound and have your questions ready also have your spouse if possible
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
I have fertility under my insurance there was no upfront cost initially. Once I reach my deductible it will work like medical insurance
Charlotte
Anytime I spoken with them [nurses at REACH] in office or by phone they were always very nurturing and made sure I understood everything...WE only did testing and a few medicated cycles. WE could not afford IVF...Definitely worth it. We drove about two hours. I do believe he [Dr. Richard Wing] could have gotten us pregnant we just didn't have the funds. He took the time to explain everything including cost, what our insurance covered and how to get more coverage and other financial help...He [Dr. Richard Wing] really took them time to go through previous treatments and testing and explain what he would do and why. I felt as he was trying to explain why we should do this test and for what reason not just to waste money...He really cares about his patients...WE only did testing and a few medicated cycles. WE could not afford IVF...He took them time to explain why IUI did not work with a previous clinic and why IVF would work...He took the time to explain everything including cost, what our insurance covered and how to get more coverage and other financial help...
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
He really took them time to go through previous treatments and testing and explain what he would do and why. I felt as he was trying to explain why we should do this test and for what reason not just to waste money.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Wing at REACH?
He really cares about his patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Wing at REACH?
Describe the protocols Richard Wing used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
WE only did testing and a few medicated cycles. WE could not afford IVF.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Anytime I spoken with them in office or by phone they were always very nurturing and made sure I understood everything.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Definitely worth it. We drove about two hours. I do believe he could have gotten us pregnant we just didn't have the funds. He took the time to explain everything including cost, what our insurance covered and how to get more coverage and other financial help.
Richard Wing
Charlotte
He [Dr. Jack Crain] was very forward and very intelligent but did seem cold at times...He was a well trained and experienced doctor who I feel did all he could to help us have a baby. He was very straight forward and informative on what to expect. He did exactly as he said he would. We would use him again!...Two egg retrieval’s after rounds of fertility drugs. Had embryos frozen to take Lupron from enrodemetrosis for three months then did embryo transfer and had a full term healthy baby boy. :)
Had embryos frozen [at REACH] to take Lupron from enrodemetrosis for three months then did embryo transfer and had a full term healthy baby boy. :)...They [nursing staff] were amazing, compassionate and knowledgeable...They were fast [during monitoring] and you knew what to expect. They were respectful of your time...Great staff and friendly! Sometimes there was a bit of a wait but it all depended on the time you go. They all were understanding of how emotional the process can be. I would recommend this place to anyone!
How was your experience with Jack Crain at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jack Crain at REACH?
Be ready to hear exactly what is going to happen and although he can be very forward he is a knowledgeable and well trained.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jack Crain at REACH?
He was very forward and very intelligent but did seem cold at times.
Describe the protocols Jack Crain used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Sue )
I love his nursing staff! They were amazing, compassionate and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
They were fast and you knew what to expect. They were respectful of your time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jack Crain at REACH.
Jack Crain

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating.... I feel the two nurses I had at REACH is what made my experience pleasant. They were caring and attentive. They cheered me on and rooted for me as we went through each IUI. They embraced me with a hug which made me feel like they truly cared about me. They were really good about providing me all the right imformation.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
My experience overall with Dr. Johnson has been good. I wish that she had performed all my IUI’s but only did 1 out of the 6. She was good at explaining the treatments but I really felt like she was not good at maneuvering through every Tilly treatment and that is not going according to textbook. I had polyps growing in my uterus that they were monitoring during the first 3 IUI’s and I think a lot fell through the cracks because it took 3 IUI’s to determine if the polyps were growing or not. I feel like we wasted those 3 IUI’s. She also didn’t mention anything about an injectable IUI till we had done 5 IUI’s and were discussing with her about moving forward with IVF. I feel like some things fell through the cracks because she wasn’t there performing all my IUI’s. I see now how important that was to me. I think things would have been caught and resolved a lot sooner. She is very thorough when it comes to explaining all that the fertility treatments will entail. I would t say that she’s compassionate but more to the point. Very type A personality. During one of our appointments we had to wait for 2 hours because someone misscheduled our appointment with her to discuss IVF. They kept giving us he run around for 2 hours saying that she’s almost ready for us but they were just stalling us. I feel like that was more fault on the clinic and not the Dr. but it would’ve been nice for her to offer to not have us pay for our appointment since we had to wait so long.
Do your research before going to see any RE because I feel once you know what the fertility treatments are all about then you can ask the right questions. I feel like I went in not knowing much and wish I did so that I could ask more targeted questions.
I feel like I fall somewhere in between here. I don’t feel like Dr. Johnson treated me like a number but the clinic does. The front desk staff are not friendly but I’ve had wonderful, caring nurses that took great care of me. When I first started at this clinic I thought that Dr. Johnson would perform all my fertility treatments but that was not the case. Out of the six IUI’s we did she only performed one of them.
For the first 5 IUI’s we did the following protocol: clomid (only for the 1st IUI because both my husband and I had horrible dry eyes from it — they switched me to letrozole and my husband to anastrozole. I haven’t noticed any severe symptoms on these medications.) We both came into the clinic for bloodwork and I did an internal ultrasound. I came back into the clinic 2 more times for bloodwork and internal ultrasound before the actual IUI procedure. I would take the letrozole for 5 days and then do an ovidrel injection (trigger shot) 2 days before the IUI. They would call and tell me based on my bloodwork and ultrasound when I would need to come in for the IUI. For our last fertility treatment we did an injectable IUI. It’s like a regular IUI but with more injections. We had very similar monitoring but I had to keep coming back every other day for them to monitor my follicles because they were growing a little slower. They originally said that I would have 4 injections total but did 7 total because my follicles were growing slowly. I did 6 gonal-f infections at 50mg each and one ovidrel injection. All my IUI’s were unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky and Salina)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths would be that they are up to date with research and their fertility treatments. They have a higher success rate as well. Weaknesses would be that your RE doesn’t usually perform your fertility treatments which is frustrating especially if they find things that are wrong and not going according to their regular protocol.
IUI — $1000 Ovidrel — $100 Letrozole — $10 or under Gonal-f — $300-400
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The biggest thing is when we had a scheduled appointment with Dr. Johnson to discuss IVF they gave us the runaround for two hours while we waited. We would ask them every 20 minutes or so and they kept telling us that she’s almost ready for us and they kept doing that for two hours. They also never told us reactions that I could have with certain medications and both my husband and I reacted negatively with Clomid.

2015 - 2018, Successful
I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor [Dr. Lauren Johnson] very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs... she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
I generally like my nurse [at REACH], but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover...A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I love doctor Johnson, she is always compassionate, positive, and knowledgeable. She is very careful to move your treatment along in the least invasive but thorough fashion possible. She helped us conceive our son, and is currently working with us to conceive another. My only complaint is that I don't see her often in the course of treatment and scheduling a meeting with her can take awhile.
Schedule ahead of time if you need a consultation! She's very busy!
I felt like a human in that my nurse and doctor took the time to always ask how I am, they always took the time to explain everything and make sure I understood what was happening. I felt a little like a number in that I didn't really see the doctor very often (2 times in 6 months), they didn't ask or discuss with me before changing my treatment plan from medicated cycles to IUI, and then didn't discuss before perscribing injectable drugs. Also, when I had my chemical pregnancy, my nurse (who always called to relay info and make appts) basically refused to call me back to answer questions and would only answer through email as if she was afraid to interact with an emotional woman (even though I didn't act emotional) Also, the practice has switched from having doctors do monitoring ultrasounds to having PAs do it, and they are fairly cold. They don't share as much about what your ultrasound looks like as the doctors.
Our over all strategy for treatment was to be as minimal as possible because my partner and I are not high income. We did several medicated and monitored cycles with letrozole and clomid (during different cycles) we also used an ovidrel shot for each of those. When they didn't work we moved up to IUI with Clomid and Ovidrel. Our first try did not work, nor the second. Our third was cancelled because I only developed an egg on a blocked tube, but I actually got pregnant that cycle! This time around I tried 4 medicated cycles, then we moved up to IUI with letrozole, Gonal F, and Ovidrel. The first was a fail, the second we added progesterone and a higher dose of Gonal F. It resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We took a month off after, and are planning to do one more IUI before moving on to IVF because of my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
I generally like my nurse, but when I had a chemical pregnancy I felt like she avoided speaking directly with me. Most of the time she is very excited for you when you get good results, and seems to care a great bit. My only complaint in general is that I often have to remind the nurse that I am allergic to latex and need a non latex ultrasound wand cover.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is generally very good, they are compassionate, thorough, and will keep your best interest in mind with everything they do, but they could use some changes in the financial department in how they take payment there's difficulty in getting in touch with the financial counselor and they could be more up-front with their prices.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
We were completely out of pocket with cost. A medicated cycle cost $675 I think, plus the cost of medication which added another $200 or so. IUI was about $1200 with about $600 in medication. There's also bloodwork that may be covered by insurance and the cost of HSG test which was covered by our insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
My doctor would change protocol without discussing it first. Medicated cycles are significantly cheaper than IUI, and we would have liked more warning about needing to scratch together payment.
Charlotte

I was so grateful that he [Dr. Whelan] was able to provide me with exact causation, through blood panels, to explain the physiological changes I had undergone since I had stopped taking my birth control... He has a great way of explaining things in such detail that you can tell he's really knowledgeable on the subject, but also isn't throwing jargon at you to make it confusing. I have had a pretty lengthy period of just getting from my first visit at REACH to the start of the stimulants for IVF, so I have seen Dr Whelan a decent amount of times, but not each visit is with him personally, which is okay because he doesn't necessarily need to be by my side for each ultrasound. Anytime we met with Dr Whelan, I never left feeling confused about our next steps.
She [nurse at REACH] always called when she said she would, always checked up when she said she would, provided great communication and assistance when needed (issue with billing)...The monitoring portion experience was really hit or miss. Sometimes I'd go in right when they'd open and have only a few people in front of me in line, and sometime's I'd go in and there'd be 25 people there
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
I'm so lucky that I was paired with Dr Whelan at my first visit to REACH! I honestly felt like I had done a ton of research on my PCOS condition before meeting with Dr Whelan, but he provided so much more information than I was able to find on my own online. I was so grateful that he was able to provide me with exact causation, through blood panels, to explain the physiological changes I had undergone since I had stopped taking my birth control . My regular OB wanted me to just keep trying naturally to have a baby, even after diagnosing the PCOS, but luckily I used my gut instinct and made an appointment at REACH because we found out that we also had a male infertility factor at play, and some of my hormones were so off the chart, that conceiving naturally just wouldn't have been an option. He has a great way of explaining things in such detail that you can tell he's really knowledgeable on the subject, but also isn't throwing jargon at you to make it confusing. I have had a pretty lengthy period of just getting from my first visit at REACH to the start of the stimulants for IVF, so I have seen Dr Whelan a decent amount of times, but not each visit is with him personally, which is okay because he doesn't necessarily need to be by my side for each ultrasound. Anytime we met with Dr Whelan, I never left feeling confused about our next steps.
He loves to talk. So make time in your schedule. Don't be rushed.
When you get your office time with the Doctor himself, he is very thorough with you and doesn't seemed rushed to get to his next patient. He covers everything in so much more detail than you could find online. His bedside manner is such that he doesn't seem like he's babying you too much, but will give it to you straight.
IVF with Frozen egg transfer and ICSI Prescribed Gonal-F (150units to start then upped to 225 for the last 3 days), Cetrotide (used 6 boxes), and HCG (20ml). Ended up with 31 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 8 fertilized with ICSI procedure.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Two: Veronica and Melissa)
Dr Whelan had two nurses that I saw regularly, Veronica and Melissa. Veronica I saw more before we started the actual IVF procedures, as Melissa is Dr Whelan's IVF nurse. She always called when she said she would, always checked up when she said she would, provided great communication and assistance when needed (issue with billing).
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths - Dr Whelan, availability, location, good communication between Doctors and Nursing team Weaknesses - BILLING DEPARTMENT! If you look up any reviews online, all the negative ones are related to billing. Honestly, I'm still so confused about my standings with this company's billing department. It doesn't help that their billing department is not located here for me to just talk to someone, and my Financial Counselor was little help. The put a rush on you to pay for treatments to begin, which doesn't leave any time for your insurance company to get squared away with their existing claims. They tried to get me to overpay by almost $1000 for my services because their information on how much of my deductible I had already met was severely off. So instead they just said, just pay the "non-billable" portion and we'll get started. So I did. Then I requested an updated bill for my IVF cycle and they said, we'll just bill you at the end. I've asked twice now for the total cost so I can just pay it outright and they won't do it. They double billed me for my first visit and I paid the portion it said I owed. Then the insurance company ended up paying it and we were supposed to get a refund check, which I told them was fine if they wanted to just put it as a credit on the account, but I'm not sure that even happened. After I hear back about my first egg retrieval I'll be calling them again to get a detailed account report to explain where we stand.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
The monitoring portion experience was really hit or miss. Sometimes I'd go in right when they'd open and have only a few people in front of me in line, and sometime's I'd go in and there'd be 25 people there. They only see people from 7-9 (sometimes I was quoted 8:30) to ensure they get same day results back (which I understand), but they should have more staff available to get people in and out. With my job, sometimes I didn't have the option to be at work past 8am, which made it difficult. My first visit I got there around 7:20 (as I thought they opened at 7:15) and didn't make it to work until 8:40am. They do things so quickly that I wish they had a little more time to be more personable about your visit. On my 13th day of stimulants,I was greeted by the same limp-wristed handshake of a PA and her standardized questions ("How are you today? I'm ____ and I'll be doing your ultrasound today. How are the medications going?"), and at that point, I just felt like crying. I didn't feel like a person but a number, and I was already stressed and uninformed about why I was not ready for my trigger shot for egg retrieval, and the fact that she didn't even pretend to remember who I was, since I had just seen her less than 24 hours before, was frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
My insurance coverage is 90/10 after a $1500 deductible. I spent almost $1200 out of my HRA account for all of my visits before even starting the first IVF cycle. I was originally quoted around $2900 for my out of pocket portion, including a $1K non-billable piece. However, what I was quoted as my coinsurance and remaining deductible was not correct. It should have been more around $1900. At this point, instead of correcting it before making the payment to start my treatment, they told me to just pay the $1K non-billable and they'll bill the rest, so I'll just owe a balance at the end. I was encouraged to pay for my medications out of pocket versus using insurance as they'd likely jack up the price on the meds, and I only have a $15K lifetime maximum on infertility treatments. The total cost of my medications was $2400 purchased from SMP Pharmacy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
1. Double billed for services. Have not received refund check. 2. Asked to pay more for services based on what they found as my deductible contributions as of that date. 3. Quoted strange figures related to a negative "balance" on my account. (I think they used my payment for the Non-Billable portion of the IVF treatments to start paying bills for services).
Charlotte

It's [REACH- Lake Norman] a well-oiled machine - they know what they are doing and seem to be current on all the newest research and technology. At times, I felt that the clinic was mildly disorganized and busy (they see SO many patients), but otherwise I was very pleased with how efficiently they run their clinic in order to help as many people as possible. NO place is perfect, and we were very pleased with this clinic! The receptionists were always very warm and friendly!
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing was exactly the doctor that we needed. Even though he has a ton of patients and at times I felt like more of a number, the truth is that his care over me was excellent. His review of my history was thorough, as was his diagnostic procedures. I felt like he left no stone unturned and did everything possible to set us up for success with our first IVF. His work is excellent and he is a brilliant doctor. He is also kind and warm. No doctor is perfect, and even if I can pinpoint little things about him or the clinic that I may not have preferred, I would not have traded the care I received for anything else. He knows his stuff and does everything he can to succeed. He is also knowledge and on-top of recent cutting edge research and tests in the field, so I felt like the care I got was top notch and in line with best practice. We loved Dr Wing and hope to use him again for our next transfer!
Hmm the only thing I can think of is to ask a lot of questions and if you have the urge to question what he is doing, try to trust that he really does know his stuff and closely paying attention to your case even if you didn’t see him in person at any given appointment.
Appointments felt quick. Repeat appointments sometimes reviewed the same info we had gone over the prior session.
I did 3 ovulation induction cycles with clomid or letrozole + ovidrel trigger shot, and once used Gonal F; 1 out of 3 resulted in a pregnancy, but unfortunately it ended up being an early miscarriage. With IVF, we did a Receptiva Dx biopsy which came back positive and therefore I was put on Lupron for 3 months prior to our frozen transfer. I don't remember all the stimulation drugs for IVF, unfortunately. Once transfer time came, I was given intralipid infusions 4 times before and after the transfer; I was also placed on 1mL intramuscular injection of progesterone in oil, 0.1mg estradiol (estrogen patches); heparin injections twice per day, and baby aspirin, as well as extra folic acid and vitamin D (in addition to my PNV).
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise and Sue)
These nurses new me by name and were very patient with my questions and anxiety. They were also very compassionate when I experienced my pregnancy loss early on, and also rejoiced with us when we first heard the heartbeat of this current (healthy) pregnancy. At times, I felt like I need to ask further questions in order to get more details (but that could just be me wanting to know everything), and sometimes I felt that some of the nurses weren't aware of the specifics of my situation. I did appreciate their prompt responses to all my phone calls and portal messages. I will miss them greatly!
Describe your experience with REACH.
It's a well-oiled machine - they know what they are doing and seem to be current on all the newest research and technology. At times, I felt that the clinic was mildly disorganized and busy (they see SO many patients), but otherwise I was very pleased with how efficiently they run their clinic in order to help as many people as possible. NO place is perfect, and we were very pleased with this clinic! The receptionists were always very warm and friendly!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
They were a very efficient and well-oiled machine. I never had to wait super long, even if there were a lot of people there for monitoring as well.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Our insurance didn't cover any fertility interventions, so it was quite expensive for us. However, it was helpful to have things packaged under one bundle, whether that be our Ovulation Induction Cycle or IVF package - this way we mostly just paid a one-time lump payment and that included all the monitoring and bloodwork, so we rarely got additional bills to worry about.
Describe Richard Wing's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My doctor suggested we do 1 embryo transfer since I'm still semi-young (under 35) and we have no reason to think it won't be successful. I'm sure if this pregnancy fails (I'm 10 weeks now), and/or for future transfers as I get older, he may want to transfer more than 1 to increase our odds of success. Our clinic's goal is to give us "one healthy baby", rather than multiples which increase chances of complications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Only once or twice was the clinic confused as to the nature and timing of my appointment, but this was more likely due to the fact that they have two locations so sometimes communication between the two was not perfect. But it always got sorted out and resolved while I was there and only took a phone call to fix it. It was never much of a hassle for me at all. It never impacted my care.
Richard Wing
Cornelius

He [Dr. Seth Katz] is supportive and understanding, and I would recommend him to anyone. I appreciate his attention to current research, and the encouragement he provided to me in becoming a single parent...he is not judgemental, only encouraging...As a doctor myself I know how difficult it can be to communicate efficiently and listen to the patient. Dr. Katz, listens, is up to date on current research and has a wealth of experience in the field of fertility. He is compassionate, and encouraging. My trust in him is complete and I recommend his care to anyone.
The wait time to become a patient [at REACH] is not very long, however be aware of the doctor you are seeing and their “mindset” and experience. A weakness is that I cannot call 24/7 and start an IUI at a moments notice...this is a ridiculous weakness, as they always respond to my portal messages. The clinic is always open, no matter what. Snow storms, hurricanes, as long as you can make it there safely they will be there for you.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz is one of the leading fertility doctors in Charlotte. He is supportive and understanding, and I would recommend him to anyone. I appreciate his attention to current research, and the encouragement he provided to me in becoming a single parent. I am also a doctor, practicing in a different field, and Dr. Katz has a way with patients that cannot be taught...it comes with exprerience as well as a born-with-it talent. He listens to his patients! When you truly listen to someone as a doctor, the problem, diagnosis and treatment becomes obvious.
Do not be afraid of a consult. Information is key, and why not be more informed? This doctor has done his homework, so just show up, tell him your concerns and issues, and trust him.
Dr. Katz is an amazing doctor. As a doctor myself I know how difficult it can be to communicate efficiently and listen to the patient. Dr. Katz, listens, is up to date on current research and has a wealth of experience in the field of fertility. He is compassionate, and encouraging. My trust in him is complete and I recommend his care to anyone.
I have low AMH and am 34 years old. I have undergone an egg freezing procedure at another clinic where we retrieved 5 eggs. I was ok with my care, but knew I did not want to go through this again. Dr. Katz has known me for a few years (i had an hsg after an ectopic pregnancy 2 years ago) at his clinic. He can recommended to me because he is encouraging to single mothers and families with various dynamics...in other words he is not judgemental, only encouraging. I found this to be true in his manner as well as the staff at Reach.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
They cannot call you 24/7! They are amazing. I cannot complain. I emailed them constantly and they always answered, and were extremely kind.
Describe your experience with REACH.
It is expensive, however, you get what you pay for. The clinic is comfortable...the staff is kind and the doctors are wonderful. You will come home with a baby. Tell the staff a bit about your situation when you schedule a first visit. There are certain doctors that work better for certain situations. I am a single female, seeking to become a mother, and i would highly recommend Dr. Katz. The wait time to become a patient is not very long, however be aware of the doctor you are seeing and their “mindset” and experience. A weakness is that I cannot call 24/7 and start an IUI at a moments notice...this is a ridiculous weakness, as they always respond to my portal messages. The clinic is always open, no matter what. Snow storms, hurricanes, as long as you can make it there safely they will be there for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
The cost of an IUi is about 960. The cost of egg freezing through Reach is about 6,000 not counting medication.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
The only thing that was a little difficult was getting some information sent over to another clinic, but this was very minor.
Charlotte

Dr Crain seemed very knowledgeable on treatment processes and straightforward in communicating the issues in fertility we were having and best course of action. However this straightforwardness was also a weak point as the shock of infertility is very sensitive time and Dr Crain communicated in a very blunt medical speak way that didn't show any compassion for the situation.
Monitoring appointments [at REACH- Charlotte] required you to be there on a first come first serve basis in the morning for doors to open at 7am, if not there early then you would be waiting sometimes significant amount of time.... Clinic is only clinic in Charlotte and through our visits it felt like they took advantage of it. Pricing was never straightforward. When you first visit they lay it out on what your expected total cost will be for treatment, but then you're told you should probably do this test, and then another test, that eventually add up to significant amounts on top of what you already planned for. Of course you'll agree to do these tests because you want to do whatever you can to have a successful procedure, but after doing research on these items and what they were suggesting we felt like we got shafted on a number of items.
How was your experience with Jack Crain at REACH?
For patients preferring blunt facts and straightforward approach to treatment along with strong opinions on best next steps Dr Crain is the right Dr.
Dr didn't appear to always be prepared with details of our case or recall conversations we had in past.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Nursing staff was very friendly although communication was not always timely
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments required you to be there on a first come first serve basis in the morning for doors to open at 7am, if not there early then you would be waiting sometimes significant amount of time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Concerns mostly had to do with straightforwardness and transparency in pricing, writing prescriptions for more drugs then actually needed as part of cycle.
Jack Crain
Charlotte

Dr. Katz was very helpful during consultation appointments. Answered all questions thoroughly and put us at ease. However, during the monitoring appointments, I often left the office unsure of the treatment plan. ... It felt like I was ushered in and out so that more patients could be seen. At times it felt like the doctors and nurses [REACH] did not want to answer my questions. ...
Once I had my vasovagal reaction during my 2nd IUI with a RN, my primary RE ... and his team were not notified of the reaction and no note was placed in my chart. ... The financial department is unorganized, rude, and not helpful. They often bill you incorrectly. The lab department is wonderful and caring but somewhat unorganized. The front office staff is kind and always smiling. ... I have not had IVF but I have completed an IVF consultation. My clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time. ...
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Stay on top of your healthcare and your treatment plan.
It felt like I was ushered in and out so that more patients could be seen. At times it felt like the doctors and nurses did not want to answer my questions.
Each cycle I did letrozole 5mg PO CD3-7 with an ovidrel trigger. I have done 3 cycles with this protocol and 3 IUIs. My 1st and 2nd cycle was completed by a RN. The 2nd cycle I experienced a horrible vasovagal reaction, passed out, lips turned blue according to the RN. The RN actually left me in the room alone with my wife at one point. And no physician of provider ever came to assess me prior to leaving the office. After this we decided to take several months off from the process. Once we finally started back, only the physician was allowed to complete my IUI due to my complaint about my treatment with the reaction.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
Communication is a definite weakness. The nurses were late releasing my lab results and treatment plan into my portal and were often rude when returning phone calls. My reaction to my second IUI also made me question the quality of nursing care. I am a nurse and I know how I expect to be treated after a vasovagal reaction and unfortunately I do not feel I received adequate care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
I do not remember the specifics.
I have not had IVF but I have completed an IVF consultation. My clinic will only transfer 1 embryo at a time. I personally prefer 2 embryos be transferred.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Once I had my vasovagal reaction during my 2nd IUI with a RN, my primary RE (Dr. Katz) and his team were not notified of the reaction and no note was placed in my chart. It wasn't until I spoke with a different nurse and asked her what would be changed to prevent it from happening and I realized she did not know about the reaction. Neither did Dr. Katz. At that point I lost faith in my care for a little while.
Charlotte

She [Dr. Lauren Johnson] is a good balance of candid and compassionate. She maintains good eye contact and she really listens to what you are asking. The only drawback is usually they were running behind schedule.... She took the time to answer ALL my questions (and I ask a lot of them!). She was willing to make a specialized plan based on our personal goals and beliefs.... We tried several IUIs and none of them resulted in pregnancy, but she was open to whatever we wanted to try- IUI or IVF.
Strengths- Patient Portal Weaknesses-Their billing department is the biggest rain wreck I have ever seen. I have repeatedly been double-billed, billed for the difference between the total charges and the allowed amount by my insurance (pretty sure this is illegal?) and billed for things I do not really owe. Once, I count as a mistake. Repeated offenses start to feel like they are trying to take advantage of you. Their billing mess has repeatedly made me want to leave the practice, but they have an office close to my home so we have stayed with them.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is a good balance of candid and compassionate. She maintains good eye contact and she really listens to what you are asking. The only drawback is usually they were running behind schedule.
She is one of the more balanced providers at REACH, meaning not too blunt, but not too soft in her approach.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
One who does the callbacks always sounds breathless and rushed. Which I am sure she is in a hurry, but the questions I am asking and the things we are discussing are literally life-changing for me, so I have been disappointed that she always tries to just be rushing to get off the phone with me.
IUI is 1,026. Plus meds.
We have not done IVF yet (we will in a few months), but she said we will do a single embryo transfer for the first 2 attempts.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Like I said before, the billing department is horrible.
Charlotte

I felt like I didn’t see Dr Johnson during the critical moments. HSG, IUI, SIS were all under someone else...After both surgeries she used a balloon catheter and hormone therapy and antibiotic...septum was never fully removed after 2 surgeries and both tubes had been blocked due to last attempt at dr Johnson’s surgery...I was very upset that she never told me she was pregnant. In December (while planning my 2nd surgery) I finally asked if she was expecting. She said yes
Becky [nurse at REACH] was AMAZING!!! I’ll never forget her reassuring me “you don’t give up!” And holding my arm as I cried walking down the office following the ultrasound to show our baby was gone. She was so sweet...I was also upset the day I went in for my IUI and was shocked to find out a NURSE was going to perform such an intimate, important thing and not my RE that I had formed a relationship with. Dr. Johnson also seemed cold hearted when I lost the baby I conceived under her care.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
I was very upset that she never told me she was pregnant. In December (while planning my 2nd surgery) I finally asked if she was expecting. She said yes and she in January so then I had to ask who would I be under during her leave. She had only removed 1 complete septum before mine. Insisted that I have a SIS to see if scarring had occurred after. I pay $1000 for the test, told no scar tissue so start TTC with just a Ovidrel shot. Pregnant first try! Miscarriage 7 weeks later. Pay $1000 for another test to show scar tissue did come back... have the entire surgery performed by her again 2months later. Declined to pay for another test after. Start femara, Ovidrel, eventually include and IUI back to only meds, no pregnancy. Get 2nd opinion by Dr. Hurst...septum was never fully removed after 2 surgeries and both tubes had been blocked due to last attempt at dr Johnson’s surgery.
I recommend researching her. Does she have a lot of experience with what you need to conceive? Are you ok with your RE possibly randomly becoming pregnant and having to cross that awkward bridge? Are you ok with her not showing a lot of emotion when you see an empty sac on the ultrasound and then go back after natural miscarriage?
After both surgeries she used a balloon catheter and hormone therapy and antibiotic. Dr. Hurst did none of the above. He also guides and directs whereas Johnson seems to go with whatever you say and not lead you.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was AMAZING!!! I’ll never forget her reassuring me “you don’t give up!” And holding my arm as I cried walking down the office following the ultrasound to show our baby was gone. She was so sweet.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The office did not seem organized. Poor communication with billing. Small waiting area. Front desk ladies always seemed unhappy to be working there. You’re always a number to them, not a mom in the making who’s hurting. The office was always clean and spelled sanitized
Not sure maybe around $6000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
During my HSG the nurse practitioner they assigned to me did not know what she was doing! After 5 catheters and MULTIPLE attempts to get catheter in my cervix she finally called a more experienced Doctor. After his first try (using the 6th catheter) they finally got the catheter in. This was very painful! The nurse practitioner they assigned to me to remove my balloon catheter seemed like she was not experienced in this area. She pulled and tugged for a while, after I was to the point of tear she left and brought in dr Johnson who was able to release a little more fluid out of the balloon and then quick snatch to remove catheter (again this was more painful than it should have been). I also was upset that Dr Johnson was there and available yet couldn’t take 10min out of her day to remove my father herself. I was also upset the day I went in for my IUI and was shocked to find out a NURSE was going to perform such an intimate, important thing and not my RE that I had formed a relationship with. Dr. Johnson also seemed cold hearted when I lost the baby I conceived under her care.
Charlotte
Dr. Johnson was very straight-forward and efficient when it came to our treatment, but she never made it feel like it was because she has more things to do. Rather, she wanted to make sure our time was used wisely and wanted to make us as comfortable as possible.... Dr. Johnson sets the treatment course and monitors progress, but a nurse actually completed the insemination.... Dr. Johnson has incredible bedside manner. She is warm and welcoming and you can tell she truly cares about her patients and gets to know them very well.
REACH is definitely the most known clinic in our area, and there is a reason. Their team of doctors, nurses and staff are incredibly caring and compassionate. They are efficient and honest, and make you feel good about the choices you make and your treatment options. If you don't have the money to start treatment, they do not pressure or make you feel bad.... The nurses always called when they said they would and have always responded to my messages and questions when I had them.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson has always been very caring and honest with us. I think that a lot of times, doctors at this clinic are a bit more hands off with the IUI process, not for a lack of caring, but because it is not as costly, nor is it as complicated/complex. Dr. Johnson sets the treatment course and monitors progress, but a nurse actually completed the insemination. However, since we have been having conversations and getting prepared for the IVF process, if she was not present at my ultrasounds, then it was another doctor who completed the appointment. = Dr. Johnson has incredible bedside manner. She is warm and welcoming and you can tell she truly cares about her patients and gets to know them very well. Our personalities are very similar and it really helps us click with her in the patient/doctor relationship.
Sometimes she can move a little fast when describing things, but it is because she is trying to be efficient with time and not rush. Do not be afraid to ask questions, she will always answer them. She is very sweet and caring and you will love having her as a doctor.
We completed two IUI cycles with Clomid, based on my husband's sperm count. However, after 2 IUI cycles, it was noticed that his count significantly decreased, which is why IUI did not work either time. After this IVF became our next course of treatment. We will be starting the IVF process soon. Dr. Johnson has told us that with how low my husband's sperm count it, natural conception is not likely to every happen for us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
The nurses always called when they said they would and have always responded to my messages and questions when I had them. They were always very informed about my treatment plan and would organize everything for me according to Dr. Johnson.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
IUI was about 1200 per cycle. An IVF cycle with egg retrieval was 13500, and a frozen embryo transfer is about 3000. None of these costs include medication. Any visits that have to do with the treatment cycle are covered through the cost of treatment.
Dr. Johnson mentioned that given my age, she would like to only transfer one embryo. However, we have discussed that if we have to do another cycle, that we would transfer 2 embryos. She said that as women get older, they are more likely to always implant more than one embryo.