1524 East Morehead Street
Cornelius
19475 Old Jetton Road
Cornelius, NC 28031
888-551-0874

Dr. Lauren Johnson treated me with respect and kindness...Great care and excellent experience. Explained treatment options and course of action. Very patient and I never felt rushed. Dr. Johnson took her time and was always aware of my feelings and needs. I would recommend Dr. Lauren Johnson to others. She is a respectable doctor...is going to take her time and not rush into anything. As a patient, be ready for the process to take time.
The nursing staff at REACH are available through a patient portal. They always respond within a timely manner. The nurses go out of their way to give the patients excellent care...I had an embryo transfer scheduled on a Friday and the week before the transfer, REACH called me to tell me they would be closed because it was a holiday. Therefore, I had to take a weeks worth of extra medication to keep my body ready for the transfer...Strengths- Nursing staff, Doctor knowledge, patient care Weakness- Payment options, financial planning As a new patient, you need to be ready for a long a committed process. Everyone's timeline is different and you just have to trust the doctor's and the process.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Lauren Johnson is going to take her time and not rush into anything. As a patient, be ready for the process to take time.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Lauren Johnson treated me with respect and kindness.
Describe the protocols Lauren Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
5 IUIs 5 embryo transfers 1 laparoscopy 3 hysteroscopies Outcome- currently 27 weeks pregnant with a baby boy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Insurance covered part and out of pocket was around $50,000.
Describe Lauren Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
We decided together the best choice.
Charlotte

Dr. Crain was very dry. He was quite knowledgeable but never made me feel happy to be there. He ran some tests on me that no one else did - and that ultimately led to a diagnosis for me. ... But the communication throughout the cycles was very slow and that made me feel like like a number. ... For my two IUI cycles, we used Clomid and Ovidrel. Dr. Crain likes Clomid better than Letrozole because he has seen better outcomes.
The billing department at this clinic [REACH] leaves much to be desired. They are not very knowledgeable and do not give correct information half of the time. This clinic is extremely busy, so expect long wait times. I have met many of the doctors that work in this clinic and they are all nice and knowledgeable. ... Amy [nurse] was really great while at appointments.
How was your experience with Jack Crain at REACH?
Dr. Crain was very dry. He was quite knowledgeable but never made me feel happy to be there. He ran some tests on me that no one else did - and that ultimately led to a diagnosis for me. For that, I am thankful.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jack Crain at REACH?
Do not expect fabulous bedside manner.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jack Crain at REACH?
The doctor met with me in his office which felt nicer than the sterile exam room. But the communication throughout the cycles was very slow and that made me feel like like a number.
Describe the protocols Jack Crain used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Amy Foerester)
Amy was really great while at appointments. She always had everything that was needed and did a great job explaining things and what next steps were. Communicating through the portal sometimes took longer than it should, however.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The billing department at this clinic leaves much to be desired. They are not very knowledgeable and do not give correct information half of the time. This clinic is extremely busy, so expect long wait times. I have met many of the doctors that work in this clinic and they are all nice and knowledgeable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jack Crain at REACH.
IUI for me was almost $1,000 and that is with insurance covering the ultrasounds and bloodwork.
Describe Jack Crain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
None
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
There were many times at my monitoring appointments that they did not have my name on the schedule and had to "squeeze" me in.
Jack Crain
Charlotte

Dr. Katz was personable and positive. He was ready to answer all questions and layout our plan and made changes as we went. I was a little disappointed in the lack of follow up. After discovering I had a fibroid and removing it, I was unsure of next steps but had planned to start medication and never heard back from Dr. Katz.... After confirming my PCOS diagnosis, Dr. Katz started me on Metformin, got me prenatal vitamin samples, set up testing for my husband and saw something on an ultrasound so he set me up for an HSG. The HSG confirmed a fibroid in my uterus. He performed surgery to remove it and spoke of starting letrozole on my next cycle. He said that letrazole had better results for people than clomid.
They [REACH- Charlotte] provide coffee in the waiting area. They also offer free wifi. The main parking lot is very small but they do have an overflow lot that is slightly larger. The waiting area is nice but on the small side. It is a multi level office and can be a little confusing but there is signage to direct you. Also, staff is good about telling you at the time of setting an appointment what to do when you arrive.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Seth Katz at REACH?
Ask all the questions you want and be prepared to reach out when needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz talked to me and my husband for an extended period of time each visit and answered all of our questions.
Describe the protocols Seth Katz used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They provide coffee in the waiting area. They also offer free wifi. The main parking lot is very small but they do have an overflow lot that is slightly larger. The waiting area is nice but on the small side. It is a multi level office and can be a little confusing but there is signage to direct you. Also, staff is good about telling you at the time of setting an appointment what to do when you arrive.
HSG was about $750
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Katz was very personable and understanding. He was very caring towards me as a person. He came up with a personalized treatment plan specifically just for me and was very involved in the process.... We used gonal f, lo dose hcg and omnitrope for my protocol. We also used testosterone prior to stimming. With the added use of the omnitrope for my diminished ovarian reserve we had much better results with icsi and I became pregnant with a Singleton.
This clinic [REACH] has wonderful providers and nursing staff. Even the lab tech and front desk staff are great. They are great at communication and also compassion. I highly recommend this practice. We will be returning when we are ready for baby number 2... [Cost Of Treatment] All in we spent about 35k. We used the attain program and all payment was due up front. The attain program was great... They promptly returned my emails and calls and answered all questions o had.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz was the best doctor I have ever had. He was compassionate and understanding and is very knowledgeable. He diagnosed me and came up with the proper treatment plan to get me pregnant and it ended up working.
I would say just be prepared for any outcome as the this journey is a very difficult Journey. Dr. Katz is an excellent doctor and he will do everything and anything in his power to give you the best chances for succeeding
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and mary)
Both girls were wonderful. They promptly returned my emails and calls and answered all questions o had.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic has wonderful providers and nursing staff. Even the lab tech and front desk staff are great. They are great at communication and also compassion. I highly recommend this practice. We will be returning when we are ready for baby number 2
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Describe Seth Katz's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My Dr decides on how many to transfer based on the patient. Due to my history of poor egg quality we both agreed on transferring two.
Charlotte
Dr. Whelan personally preformed all of our ultrasounds while we were monitoring our eggs before retreaval. He also took time to make sure we understood exactly what was happening and to be expected...was very thorough with our visits! He took time to address any questions and made sure we understood exactly what was happening and what to expect. I trust Dr. Whelan 100% in the care that he gave us and would be happy to be under his care again in the future.
Nurse/provider care [at REACH] is amazing however the front staff could use a little help with communication skills and people person skills. Billing Department is a little impersonal as well. I feel like because the office is so busy they have become immune to the worries of the patients that come in that office. Just don't let the front staff and billing Department ruin your feelings towards the medical staff...Our nurse was very thorough and always offered her help with any questions or concerns we had
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Dr. Whelan was very thorough with our visits! He took time to address any questions and made sure we understood exactly what was happening and what to expect. I trust Dr. Whelan 100% in the care that he gave us and would be happy to be under his care again in the future.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Whelan at REACH?
To go into your visits with questions written down so that you are able to address all of your concerns without forgetting anything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Nurse/provider care is amazing however the front staff could use a little help with communication skills and people person skills. Billing Department is a little impersonal as well. I feel like because the office is so busy they have become immune to the worries of the patients that come in that office. Just don't let the front staff and billing Department ruin your feelings towards the medical staff.
Charlotte

Dr Matrika Johnson will observe you fully and give her best course of action. She is realistic and is very thorough in her procedure. I really respect her opinion. She doesn’t sugar coat yet is very compassionate... She observed me. Checked my uterus...did trial transfers, constantly checked my hormone levels. I kept getting fluid in uterus so she decided to have surgery to determine the problem. She made sure to know exactly where to place embryo to get best chances of implantation.
The clinic [REACH] is very good at what they do. They are good monitoring their portal system if you have any questions. Their hours are good and cater to those in need. It’s very difficult to reach them by phone so I recommend the portal system.... [Cost Of Treatment] Ivf donor Cycle 25k... Dr Matrika Johnson will observe you fully and give her best course of action. She is realistic and is very thorough in her procedure. I really respect her opinion.
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Listen and let her do what she needs to give you best option
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
She made it personal with her patients. She cared for my well being
Describe the protocols Matrika Johnson used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
Very professional and courteous
Describe your experience with REACH.
The clinic is very good at what they do. They are good monitoring their portal system if you have any questions. Their hours are good and cater to those in need. It’s very difficult to reach them by phone so I recommend the portal system.
Ivf donor Cycle 25k
Describe Matrika Johnson's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
She made it clear she didn’t like to transfer more than two and concurred
Charlotte

After one cycle of DE IVF that resulted in a second trimester loss, Dr. Wing tested for antiphospholipid antibodies. After testing positive, Dr. Wing gave us a protocol that included intralipid infusions and daily heparin injections alongside the usual estradiol and progesterone. We had a healthy baby girl at 35 weeks due to this protocol and high risk monitoring throughout pregnancy...truly cares about his patients. I believe he gave us the very best care possible, was present for every transfer, and properly diagnosed my APS so that I could achieve a healthy pregnancy. He was always compassionate and honest in our consultations.
Everyone at REACH has been incredibly kind and personable...The only weakness i would identify is the financial department. They were not the most helpful or kind, but don’t let that turn you off to the practice! After working out payment every other interaction at REACH was excellent...After one cycle of DE IVF that resulted in a second trimester loss, Dr. Wing tested for antiphospholipid antibodies. After testing positive, Dr. Wing gave us a protocol that included intralipid infusions and daily heparin injections alongside the usual estradiol and progesterone. We had a healthy baby girl at 35 weeks due to this protocol and high risk monitoring throughout pregnancy.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr Wing truly cares about his patients. I believe he gave us the very best care possible, was present for every transfer, and properly diagnosed my APS so that I could achieve a healthy pregnancy. He was always compassionate and honest in our consultations.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Richard Wing at REACH?
Everyone at REACH has been incredibly kind and personable
Describe the protocols Richard Wing used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Charlotte

He [Dr. Joseph Whelan] took as much time as I needed to discuss everything...He is a little odd at first glance but very very smart and I honestly felt like he was completely invested in helping my husband and I have a baby. His attitude helped me focus and get through treatment...He was very intent on preventing OHSS during my IVF cycle because I had PCOS, and indeed I did not get OHSS...
They [REACH] offer before-work drop ins for monitoring and generally are on time for appointments during working hours. They do not map cycles around the clinic schedule like some clinics, and are EXTREMELY responsive on the patient portal...[nurses are] Very efficient and clinical, they ALWAYS responded to my questions the same day...$17,500 for egg retrieval and FET costs including medications....
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He is a little odd at first glance but very very smart and I honestly felt like he was completely invested in helping my husband and I have a baby. His attitude helped me focus and get through treatment, and As I write this I am holding my sleeping infant son, the product of 1 FET cycle.
The guy may seem odd at first glance but he is a fantastic doctor.
He took as much time as I needed to discuss everything.
Describe the protocols Joseph Whelan used in your cycles at REACH and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with REACH.
They offer before-work drop ins for monitoring and generally are on time for appointments during working hours. They do not map cycles around the clinic schedule like some clinics, and are EXTREMELY responsive on the patient portal.
$17,500 for egg retrieval and FET costs including medications
2014 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Katz always took his time to explain everything.... Dr. Katz has always answered my questions and put me at ease. He is good at what he does even if it's not always what you want to hear. I felt more comfortable knowing I was in capable hands whether it was just monitoring or my surgery.... Go in with an open mind and trust him. He will not stear you in the wrong direction.... I was scheduled for an appointnentnonce via phone that my husband and I both took off work for only to find out, it wasn't documented. We showed up for said appointment and the Dr. wasn't there because he didn't know about it.
Dr. Katz and his team are phenomenal. The billing department [REACH] however could use some major help. Just keep a close eye on what you are being charged for vs. What they bill your insurance for.... Always always use email to communicate. I was scheduled for an appointnentnonce via phone that my husband and I both took off work for only to find out, it wasn't documented. We showed up for said appointment and the Dr. wasn't there because he didn't know about it.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz always took his time to explain everything.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Dr. Katz and his team are phenomenal. The billing department however could use some major help. Just keep a close eye on what you are being charged for vs. What they bill your insurance for. You don't want to end up over paying and we all know this process can get costly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Cycle monitoring $700. Laparoscopy $1200. Copay $55.
Charlotte

I never actually saw dr Katz again until my post op from egg retrieval to explain why it was a failure and didn’t produce a single embryo...We did 9 days of stimulations. I used a very moderate dose of medication not very strong because of endometrosis. At egg retrieval 12 eggs most of them damaged/cracked. It useable. Only 3 were mature. None of the eggs fertilized and I was left a voicemail at 630am the next morning stating that and could never get anyone to call me back.
[cost of REACH] $13k for ivf $5k for meditation $500 for mine and my husband’s genetic testing other fees. This is rough estimate...I used a very moderate dose of medication not very strong because of endometrosis. At egg retrieval 12 eggs most of them damaged/cracked. It useable. Only 3 were mature. None of the eggs fertilized and I was left a voicemail at 630am the next morning stating that and could never get anyone to call me back.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
He seems like a nice guy. I finally make a payment as we decide to move forward and that is when I was treated like a number not a patient who just spent entire savings to not receive proper care. I never actually saw dr Katz again until my post op from egg retrieval to explain why it was a failure and didn’t produce a single embryo.
Ask him in the consultation if he ever plans on returning an email or call to any of his patients?
He would never call me back. No one at the office answers the phone. You have to send messages and pray they respond before the cut off time for the day. Also seen a different dr each time.
Describe your experience with REACH.
When I arrived early am for egg retrieval staff on 1st floor check in were talking drinking coffee. I was the only patient in the room. I walked up to the window. So nervous I was shaking. Waiting for my husband to come be with me after giving sperm sample. They looked at me. No smile good morning or anything just turned back around and continued talking. They were about 4 ft from the glass window I was standing at. After making me feel so embarrassed just standing there for a good minute I realize there is a sign that says have a seat. I go sit down and what do you know. She grins at her coworkers, slides her rolling chair over to the window and opens the glass and says “name”? How unprofessional and childish. I was so hurt my this behavior. After retrieval dr Johnson left so fast they weren’t even able to get a dr to sign off for pain medicine. That should have been filled out already but it was included with several meds listed on one piece of paper and the pharmacy said they can’t do that ! We need a separate prescription for this ?! What are they thinking? So there’s that.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Very busy and when dr Johnson was doing my ultrasound I was trying to tell her about extreme pain I was having couldn’t sleep and could hardly breathe and she literally said “everything looks fine” and then started talking to the nurse who appeared to be new talking about the previous patient they seen. Nothing personal just making sure they had notes straight since nurse was slow. Next monitoring session PA is doing my ultrasound and takes time to pay attention and notices I’m so out of breath I can hardly speak, she checks my lungs and seemed very concerned for me then my egg retrieval was scheduled shortly after.
Never got to that point

2018, Consult
Dr. Katz was great. Me and my husband had a ton of questions...And we got told IVF is our only option to have children. Everything was very overwhelming at first. Dr. Katz broke down and explained all of our questions very thoroughly...I came in already having a HSG test done, which I found out I had an unicornuate uterus. After my first visit he had ordered a MRI to get better imaging. No birth control was going to be needed for my cycle.
Very good nursing care [at REACH]. When me and husband found out we couldn’t do IVF due to pricing, the nurse called a few months later checking in on us...Whenever Dr.Katz ordered the MRI...took them a few weeks to actually schedule the MRI. I had to call a few times to check on it, whenever I called they said they haven’t received an order yet. And then after I finally had it done it took another few weeks to call back with results.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
Dr. Katz was great. Me and my husband had a ton of questions, this was our fertility doctor we have seen. And we got told IVF is our only option to have children. Everything was very overwhelming at first. Dr. Katz broke down and explained all of our questions very thoroughly.
No advice. Loved him!
He broke down every question me and my husband had and explained everything thoroughly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Don’t remember name )
Very good nursing care. When me and husband found out we couldn’t do IVF due to pricing, the nurse called a few months later checking in on us.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Dr Katz and the nurse were very professional and courteous. The billing department was a hard part to handle. The lady that worked in there wasn’t the nicest at our first appointment.. the second appointment was a little better.
Our IVF round would have $22,000
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Whenever Dr.Katz ordered the MRI I took them a few weeks to actually schedule the MRI. I had to call a few times to check on it, whenever I called they said they haven’t received an order yet. And then after I finally had it done it took another few weeks to call back with results.
Charlotte

He [Dr. Seth Katz] has been great to work with and I would recommend him. However, there is so much uncertainty in my treatment plan to say if we will become successful. We are in another diagnostic phase due to having to failed transfers... He is doing everything in his ability to help us achieve our goal... Last protocol was mini stim... I think they [REACH- Charlotte] are great at what they do. However, we have not been successful at this time. I would prefer to see my dr more frequently and speak to him when we receive results. Currently the nurses call with results and we have to wait over a week to consult with the dr
I think they [REACH- Charlotte] are great at what they do. However, we have not been successful at this time. I would prefer to see my dr more frequently and speak to him when we receive results. Currently the nurses call with results and we have to wait over a week to consult with the dr.... Around $50,000 since we have begun.... He [Dr. Seth Katz] has been great to work with and I would recommend him. However, there is so much uncertainty in my treatment plan to say if we will become successful. We are in another diagnostic phase due to having to failed transfers... He is doing everything in his ability to help us achieve our goa
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
He has been great to work with and I would recommend him. However, there is so much uncertainty in my treatment plan to say if we will become successful. We are in another diagnostic phase due to having to failed transfers.
Be patient
He is doing everything in his ability to help us achieve our goal
Last protocol was mini stim
Describe your experience with REACH.
I think they are great at what they do. However, we have not been successful at this time. I would prefer to see my dr more frequently and speak to him when we receive results. Currently the nurses call with results and we have to wait over a week to consult with the dr.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Again, I wish I could have seen my dr more frequently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Around $50,000 since we have begun.
Charlotte
Dr whelan was amazing at the process. Always kept us informed on all steps and any questions were answered with care and diligent. He provided us with such great details to all medications, procedures, eat...Be prepared to be fully informed and understand he wants to see great results!...treated us like family. Was friendly, informative, and highly knowledgeable of all our options...
Veronica [nurse at REACH] is AMAZING! She was always there to answer all questions quickly and accurately...The clinic from front desk, back office, nurses, financial, lab tech and the drs make you a priority. They make sure you are well taken care of and capable of making things happening. They are very attentive to details...Dr whelan was amazing at the process. Always kept us informed on all steps and any questions were answered with care and diligent.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Be prepared to be fully informed and understand he wants to see great results!
Dr Whelan treated us like family. Was friendly, informative, and highly knowledgeable of all our options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Veronica)
Veronica is AMAZING! She was always there to answer all questions quickly and accurately.
Charlotte

Dr. Wing is great at explaining everything in detail. He breaks everything down into terms that my husband and I can understand. Dr. Wing is also very realistic and has been honest with us of his opinion on how likely we are to conceive with different treatments.... Dr. Wing has a great bed-side manner. While under his care, we found out that I have endometrial cancer. Dr. Wing was very optimistic and did a great job of keeping my hopes high.
Overall the clinic [REACH] is great! They use all of the latest technology and can do a lot of the tests right there in the office rather than having to send them off for results. The only downfall is that they are constantly busy so it can be hard sometimes to get an appointment.... The nurses that performed the blood work and ultrasounds were fantastic! They were all very friendly and made me feel very comfortable.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Richard Wing at REACH?
Keep all of your records from any previous fertility treatments/doctors. Dr. Wing is able to look at those records and possibly see things that other doctors did not see.
I have not gone through a cycle with Dr. Wing yet due to him finding that I have endometrial cancer during a surgery that he performed to remove a polyp on my ovary. We planned on doing an IVF cycle using my own eggs right after the surgery. Sadly, I wasn't able to do a cycle right away because the cancer had to be treated first. The cancer has now been treated and my oncologist has given us 6 months to try to get pregnant before having to have a hysterectomy.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall the clinic is great! They use all of the latest technology and can do a lot of the tests right there in the office rather than having to send them off for results. The only downfall is that they are constantly busy so it can be hard sometimes to get an appointment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Dr. Wing performed the surgery to remove the polyp on mg ovaries which was very costly (around $6k out of pocket). I have paid a co-pay for my other appointments with him. The cost for my IVF treatment was estimated at $14k, plus the cost of medications (which could not be determined until the time of treatment).
Cornelius

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Whelan always listens to me and takes my concerns and feelings into consideration. He doesn’t try to sugar coat things but he isn’t blunt about it. He treats me like a human and wants to do what I want to do when it comes to treatment...We did an egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I have PCOS but according to Dr. Whelan, my brain also doesn’t communicate properly with my hormones...Dr. Whelan always takes time to meet with me...He said attempting to go directly into a fresh transfer would be too confusing for my system
[REACH] Strengths are my doctor and his team. They are clearly very skilled and reliable. Weakness is having to recently deal with nurses who do not work directly with my doctor. The communication seems to be lacking and I’d prefer to only deal with my doctors nursing team...A nurse that works with another doctor forgot to call me with instructions for my FET until I called her hours after they closed...Monitoring appointments take place between 7 and 9am. It’s first come, first serve and the appointments are pretty quick and easy.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He knows what he’s talking about. If he says IVF is your best bet, he’s not out to get your money. He told us we could continue to try IUI and we would hopefully get pregnant eventually if that’s the way we wanted to go but that IVF was really what I needed and he was right.
Dr. Whelan always takes time to meet with me, even if I am not actively going through fertility treatments, to discuss my concerns about future cycles or what has gone wrong with past cycle
We did an egg retrieval with a freeze-all. I have PCOS but according to Dr. Whelan, my brain also doesn’t communicate properly with my hormones. He said attempting to go directly into a fresh transfer would be too confusing for my system and I would likely not get pregnant. We did a freeze all and went back on birth control to start a FET and managed to get pregnant the first FET round.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa, our primary nurse, is a truly calming force and a wonderful nurse. She always takes time to talk to me when I’m stressed or have questions and never makes me feel like I’m too needy. Speaking to her is always reassuring to me. However, lately she has not been the nurse I have been dealing with. I will get calls from OTHER doctor’s nurses who I feel don’t really know who I am and are just reading off of papers. It’s almost never the same nurse so I constantly feel like I have to explain what was told to me by someone else to get questions answered. And one time, a nurse forgot to call me with instructions until I called looking for them because she is not my doctors nurse. If Melissa is no longer Dr. Whelan’s main nurse, they need to hire a new one that is just for his team so the communication gets better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
I do not remember my egg retrieval costs but my last FET was approximately $7500
Describe Joseph Whelan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
My first FET, I had been trying to get pregnant for a year and a half with no success, not even a chemical pregnancy. Dr. Whelan knew how desperate we were to get pregnant and allowed us to transfer two embryos despite being 25 at the time. This past FET cycle, he said I could choose again whether to do two embryos or an eSET and I choose eSET as I now have a living child and was not as comfortable with the prospect of twins. This cycle was unsuccessful and our next FET we will be transferring two again, with his blessing
Charlotte

My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she [Dr. Lauren Johnson] educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
REACH has a fantastic nursing staff, embroyolgy dept, doctors and surgical nurses. Their front desk is lacking in warmth and their financial department is an absolute disaster. I would carefully go over each and every bill; and request bills if you do not receive them.... The nurses (Shana and Mary) were phenomenal. Anytime I had a question they would answer it as quickly as possible. They would call and give me the next steps and ensure that I was at ease with what they were telling me. Lisa- who took my blood each visit was kind and compassionate. She remembered me and had a great rapport.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
We have male factor infertility and she was the most caring and compassionate towards that. My husband has a rare genetic disorder and she educated herself about the disorder. I ended up having fibroids and had to have a hysteroscopy and she was very patient and kind in explaining everything to me. When we learned that I was having a miscarriage, she sat with me and went through all the options and wouldn't let me leave the office without knowing she was incredibly and profoundly sorry for what I was going through.
Be open and real with Dr. Johnson. She is an extremely thoughtful and caring doctor. Trust her process and ask all the questions you can think of.
Dr. Johnson got to know my husband and me and truly wanted the best for us. She would break difficult to understand information into smaller, easier to understand parts without being condescending. I received personal phone calls from her on more than one occasion. She is very easy to talk to.
We used gonal-f and menopur. It was a slow and steady growth. The rationale was that I was healthy and ovulating well on my own, so she didn't feel the need for me to have large doses. I started low on gonal-f, and gradually increased the dosage. I had 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature and 8 fertilized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Shana)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring was held from 7-9:30 a.m. I would show up around 7:30, sign in and would be seen quickly (about 10 minutes) for ultrasound. Then would go to have blood drawn. I was quick and efficient. Completed in under 30 minutes most days.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Johnson at REACH.
Around $13,000 with ICIS.
My Dr. saw that I was a healthy, young woman and did not want a high-risk pregnancy (twins) with me, so transferred one 5-day embryo. The rationale was the likelihood of twins from multiple embryo transfer was too great.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
During our finance meeting we were told that we did not have insurance coverage for IVF and that we would pay upfront for service. We were told that our insurance would not be billed. About one month after our cycle, I noticed that I was receiving EOBs that showed my insurance was billed and actually paid for a number of things at REACH. I contacted REACH for an itemized bill and was told that I had a balance of over $2,000. I spoke with my insurance AND was informed that REACH billed insurance and received payment. It took REACH over 4 months to return money to my insurance company and I was still threatened to be sent to collections over a billing error on their part.

2015 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Matrika Johnson] got to know me as a person, understood how I liked to hear information and how I’d react. She treated my husband the same way and he actually enjoyed coming to the appointments to see her... made me feel like there was always hope. She is thorough, direct and still lighthearted. She made it a point to get to know me and my husband as people and as a couple. She listened to all of our questions and concerns and would even adjust her plan to compromise if ever needed. Dr J is an amazing doctor and person who made our journey amazing.
They [staff at REACH] want you to be as informed as you can be walking into this journey. The front desk staff makes an effort to get to know you. They take any questions or concerns to heart and adjusts as necessary. (I.e. I had a tough time with one of the women in the lab drawing blood who always left bruises and they made sure that my name was always called by the other technician if she was there)
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr J is a young, vibrant doctor who made me feel like there was always hope. She is thorough, direct and still lighthearted. She made it a point to get to know me and my husband as people and as a couple. She listened to all of our questions and concerns and would even adjust her plan to compromise if ever needed. Dr J is an amazing doctor and person who made our journey amazing.
Be prepared not to have sugar coated information. She likes to get to the point, solve the current hiccup and figure out the best way to have a positive result!
She got to know me as a person, understood how I liked to hear information and how I’d react. She treated my husband the same way and he actually enjoyed coming to the appointments to see her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Jessica)
There was a bit of turn over when we first started that ended up with a lack of communication. However, when Jessica was assigned to our case she jumped right in and made sure that never happened again. She had great bedside manner and got to know us just as much as dr J.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This clinic is fantastic. At your first appointment you not only have a thorough sit down with your future doctor but also with the financial counselor. They want you to be as informed as you can be walking into this journey. The front desk staff makes an effort to get to know you. They take any questions or concerns to heart and adjusts as necessary. (I.e. I had a tough time with one of the women in the lab drawing blood who always left bruises and they made sure that my name was always called by the other technician if she was there)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
There was a general monitoring window first thing in the morning. Yes if you showed up at 7am there would be a line at the door (usually the same 3-4 women). However, if you go around 730, you miss the rush. Either way, they know what they’re doing and it is well run and timely. They don’t rush you out of your room either if you have questions about your ultrasound. They make sure you understand prior to heading to the next patient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Due to our insurance coverage, the most cost for us ended up being my medications. Unfortunately the pharmacy they suggest (encompassRx) wasn’t covered fully but with the customer service they provided, it was totally worth the extra few dollars. My insurance covers more under Freedom Fertility but when I couldn’t even get someone to answer the phone there or leave a message, I went straight to encompass.
My husband and I had tossed around an idea to have a multiple embryo transfer. Dr J was against it and explained the risks and complications for someone of my size. I had complications at 31 weeks with just one so I am very thankful for her sticking to her guns!
Charlotte

I don't think he [Dr. Whelan] could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient...he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own"
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they [REACH] had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
He had too many patients and didn't take a one-on-one approach, he didn't think outside the box and gave up quickly on us. We went from "you have a 70-80% chance of IVF working on the first cycle" to (two cycles later), "you most likely won't ever have biological children of our own" and was recommending we look into donor eggs or embryos. I think he is fully capable and intelligent, but the treatments were a little to one size fits all. If you are a difficult case, I wouldn't recommend him.
Get second opinions!
I don't think he could pick me out of a crowd or remembered my case, he would have to read my file before he saw us and focused on the treatment and not what would work best for me as a patient.
IVF cycle follistim, HGH, cetrotide and menopur. Only PIO to prep for a fresh transfer. He didn't share is rationale for that treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
There were many, I don't think I really knew any of them or that they really knew me. They were nice enough I guess, but had too many patients.
Describe your experience with REACH.
Strengths: There are a lot of doctors and nurses so you could get there first thing in the morning for monitoring, they had nice facilities. They had information and tips to give to patients which was helpful, they knew what questions I was most likely to ask. Weaknesses: HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE, HORRIBLE billing department, even if my experience with the doctors and nurses were amazing, I would think twice about continuing to use them because their billing department is such a nightmare. They have way too many patients, there were visits where I waited more than 2 hours to be seen. My doctor was even almost an hour late to my 7am surgery. Treatments are too generic, didn't feel like they took their time with me, they had to stick to a schedule.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
It depended, so days were horrible and the wait was an hour or more, other days it wasn't bad. If I got there right when the doors opened it really didn't impact my day. Too many patients.
I don't remember costs.
We didn't have that discussion because we didn't have enough strong embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
They got dates incorrect for my treatment and I was traveling out of town. Luckily there was a fertility clinic I could go to where I was traveling to be monitored. They have sent me incorrect instructions on treatment or sent me someone else's treatment information.
Charlotte

Dr. Johnson knew our case and was very sensitive to how hard infertility can hit someone. She answered all of our questions and always called us back if we had any issues. ... Dr. Johnson gave me a hysteroscopy in order to remove polyps. She also did my complete retrieval. I had many good eggs, but my husband's sperm were less than stellar. (We didn't even know he had them until right then when they did sperm aspiration.)
Monitoring was offered first thing in the morning. I had to drive 2 hours each way, and was always in and out very quickly! ... The only issue we encountered was some discrepancy in the billing, which was remedied with a quick phone call. Each appointment [REACH] was quick, and results were given in a timely manner. They let us make final decisions on anything, while giving us great counsel, but not pressuring us into anything that we didn't want. ...
How was your experience with Matrika Johnson at REACH?
Dr. Johnson was very personable. She also woke up in the middle of the night to call me in another prescription when I left mine out of town. We had some unexpected complications and she adjusted accordingly.
Trust her judgement.
Dr. Johnson gave me a hysteroscopy in order to remove polyps. She also did my complete retrieval. I had many good eggs, but my husband's sperm were less than stellar. (We didn't even know he had them until right then when they did sperm aspiration.) When we only ended up with one embryo, she highly suggested we go ahead and do a three day fresh transfer instead of our planned frozen transfer. I ended up with a chemical pregnancy, but Dr. Johnson did everything she could. She also met with us afterwards to come up with our next game plan, which included a varicoselectomy for my husband. (She had suggested it before, but we had chosen to go ahead without it.)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at REACH.
The nurses were wonderful! They were always ready for me during my appointments, and made sure that I was in and out as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with REACH.
The doctors and nurses were all wonderful! The only issue we encountered was some discrepancy in the billing, which was remedied with a quick phone call. Each appointment was quick, and results were given in a timely manner. They let us make final decisions on anything, while giving us great counsel, but not pressuring us into anything that we didn't want.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matrika Johnson at REACH.
Normal IVF costs; we compared multiple clinics and REACH had lower pricing than all of the clinics in our area.
She counseled us about the difference, and highly suggested single embryo transfer for our particular situation.

2015 - 2017, Successful
He [Dr. Wing] was very matter of fact but with a warmth that made me feel like he cared for me more than just a number and source of money. I truly felt like he developed a personalized protocol to yield the best results for me....He said if i wasn't ready for twins, he wouldn't transfer more than 1. ...We had male factor infertility so Dr. Wing used a conservative treatment for me based on all my tests and #'s. He made sure to not overstimulate me.
Overall everyone [REACH] was very professional. One weakness is the financial person - she was the opposite of everyone else there. She was cold and not compassionate. Be prepared for this step if you need financial help....Mary was compassionate, empathetic and warm. She was amazing at making me feel not overwhelmed during every step....
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
He was very matter of fact but with a warmth that made me feel like he cared for me more than just a number and source of money. I truly felt like he developed a personalized protocol to yield the best results for me.
Be prepared for him to not beat around the bush but to expect real answers from him.
He was very warm
We had male factor infertility so Dr. Wing used a conservative treatment for me based on all my tests and #'s. He made sure to not overstimulate me. 1st ER - 12 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 4 embryos created, 2 made it to day 5. Resulted in miscarriage 2nd ER - 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 4 embryos created, 1 made it to day 5. PGS testing abnormal. Embryo discarded 3rd ER - 8 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 2 embryos created, 1 made it to day 5 - resulted in live birth
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Mary Hartpence)
Describe your experience with REACH.
Overall everyone was very professional. One weakness is the financial person - she was the opposite of everyone else there. She was cold and not compassionate. Be prepared for this step if you need financial help.
Describe Richard Wing's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at REACH.
He said if i wasn't ready for twins, he wouldn't transfer more than 1. It was never an issue b/c we never had more than 1 ready at Day 5
Charlotte
Dr. Whelan met with us and was very explanatory, but he was very quick to diagnose that we should move straight to IVF. Our conversation felt surgical...There weren’t many instances where we had strong interaction with Dr. Whelan. He was polite, but we felt overwhelmed with information and like we were just one couple on the conveyer belt. We asked questions, but often the information that we received was confusing. It was hard to get a good understanding of what we were facing, and we never quite felt heard.
[REACH] is a well-known clinic. They are expensive and sometimes it feels as if they are just trying to get your money. We felt like we had so much that we didn’t know and we didn’t ever get a firm grasp on the realities of ur diagnosis. They were organized and have a great online system...The nursing staff was similar to Dr. Whelan— it felt clinical or surgical with the manner that they treated us. Not neglectful, but I didn’t feel well-served.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
Do your research so that you know what questions you want to ask.
We had diagnostics run and the main result was that we had unexplained fertility. We were recommended to move to IVF.
Describe your experience with REACH.
This is a well-known clinic. They are expensive and sometimes it feels as if they are just trying to get your money. We felt like we had so much that we didn’t know and we didn’t ever get a firm grasp on the realities of ur diagnosis. They were organized and have a great online system.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Whelan at REACH.
We had a copay each time we went and we paid for portions of several diagnostic tests.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
We didn’t get our information from REACH when we transferred. I had some copies of information and I took pictures of the online system, which was the only way we had some of the info transferred.
Charlotte
She [Dr. Lauren Johnson] has a great way of explaining things and balances her clinical knowledge with understanding of the emotional aspects of fertility treatments...I would like to see my doctor more. I've been to the clinic probably 20 times and seen her twice...Clomid 50mg for the first 2 IUIs. The first one I responded well with 2 follicles but only produced one good follicle with the second one. For the third IUI she upped my Clomid to 100mg days 3-7.
I would like to see my doctor [at REACH Charlotte] more. I've been to the clinic probably 20 times and seen her twice...$750 per session of iui...Utilize the patient portal...Clomid 50mg for the first 2 IUIs. The first one I responded well with 2 follicles but only produced one good follicle with the second one. For the third IUI she upped my Clomid to 100mg days 3-7.
How was your experience with Lauren Johnson at REACH?
She is excellent at communicating and making sure you understand exactly what you can expect. We felt very comfortable with the knowledge we walked away with. She wanted to make sure we start with the best choice for us given our unexplained diagnosis.
Utilize the patient portal.
She has a great way of explaining things and balances her clinical knowledge with understanding of the emotional aspects of fertility treatments.
Great staff
$750 per session of iui
Na

2012 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Katz is very personable. He is understanding of the emotional, physical and financial toll fertility treatment can take on a person and couple. He is very knowledgeable about different medical conditions and honest about potential outcomes. He is no nonsense, which I appreciate.
Stephanie (IVF coordinator) and Melissa (IUI, etc.) are extremely caring, professional and wonderful nurses. They understand both the medical and emotional aspects of fertility treatment and are an amazing asset to REACH...[For monitoring appointments] you wait in line, get paperwork, go for either blood work first or ultrasound first. It's a quick appointment and if you need to get into your workplace, this is great. This is not the time to ask questions of your nursing team.
How was your experience with Seth Katz at REACH?
If you have a question, ask. Don't be embarrassed or ashamed that you need something clarified or explained differently.
In the beginning, I felt like I was just a number going through the steps. However, the longer I was in treatment and got to know both Dr. Katz and the amazing nursing team, I began to feel more like a human.
First, we tried three cycles of injections and timed intercourse. Next, we tried two cycles of injections and IUI. My gut said it was time to move on and Dr. Katz agreed. Then, we did an IVF cycle with retrieval and intent to freeze. Unfortunately, none of my embryos make it far enough for freezing. Finally, Dr. Katz presented my case to his fellow doctors and decided to alter my medications and do another cycle without egg donation. Even though other doctors in the practice felt my first IVF cycle was a clear indication that my eggs were of poor quality and unable to be successful in the future, he wasn't convinced. We proceeded with a new, aggressive protocol. The result was four embryos that made it to freezing. All four were thawed and transferred (also a risky decision) and today I have one amazing and healthy daughter. Today, we are trying for another child. We began with two IUIs. One resulted in a negative and one in a six-week miscarriage (likely due to poor egg quality). We are currently in the process of beginning another round of IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Describe your experience with REACH.
It is modern and updated. Clean with state of the art equipment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
You wait in line, get paperwork, go for either blood work first or ultrasound first. It's a quick appointment and if you need to get into your workplace, this is great. This is not the time to ask questions of your nursing team.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Seth Katz at REACH.
Fertility treatment is VERY expensive. IUI was approximately $2000 including medication (purchased elsewhere). IVF was approximately $12000 for all procedures, tests, appointments and medication (purchased from a separate place).

2013 - 2016, Successful
I rarely got to see my own physician [Dr. Richard Wing] for monitoring at REACH. This resulted in me having questions that either went unanswered or that I had to directly email Dr. Wing about...After two failed cycles, I felt like Dr. Wing left more of the decisions up to us vs. what he recommended, which isn't necessarily what I want while navigating fertility treatment...Dr. Wing doesn't have the best bedside manner, but if you can look past that and try to connect with him about anything, it will likely be worth it.
How was your experience with Richard Wing at REACH?
Dr. Wing has a mountain of experience, which is invaluable when going through fertility treatment. He is a good surgeon - I had a successful hysteroscopy for a septate uterus as well as one egg retrieval with him. When I first started pursuing fertility treatment, the treatment plan was very clearly laid out. When cycles continued to be unsuccessful, Dr. Wing was actionable about moving to a different protocol or procedure altogether. After my first successful pregnancy, I resumed treatment with Dr. Wing when trying to conceive another child. However, FETs were not successful and I kept having allergic reactions to one of the medications used, but we could not figure out which one. After two failed cycles, I felt like Dr. Wing left more of the decisions up to us vs. what he recommended, which isn't necessarily what I want while navigating fertility treatment. There were two occasions where Dr. Wing was out of town for 2-3 consecutive weeks and I had something bad happen - an ectopic pregnancy requiring methotrexate and a chemical pregnancy after an FET. Both times, I felt like I was passed from doctor to doctor in the practice, at a time when I needed my doctor most. I provided that feedback to Dr. Wing, and he did try to make an effort to see me personally for monitoring (vs. sending me through the normal monitoring shop), which made me feel like he cared about me as a patient.
I rarely got to see my own physician for monitoring at REACH. This resulted in me having questions that either went unanswered or that I had to directly email Dr. Wing about. When I did call the nurses with a question, I often felt like my questions were not welcome. Additionally, REACH charges extra fees called "cycle management fees," which are not billable to insurance, even if the patient has insurance. Over the 4 years I was at REACH for treatment, the fees increased and were added to procedures that previously did not have cycle management fees. Despite the fact that I have paid every bill in a timely manner, I had an impromptu IUI which was scheduled by Dr. Wing canceled because the cycle management fee hadn't been paid (I only had two days notice and was waiting to see if insurance would pay for the IUI before I paid the extra fee). When I discussed this with the head financial person after the fact, she said they are not able to make an exception for me despite my history of prompt payment over the four years I have been a patient. This definitely made me feel like a number.
My first cycle was letrozole only, but was cancelled because I did not respond and ovulated prematurely. My second and third cycles were letrozole + follistim + ovidrel + IUI + crinone and were both unsuccessful. My next cycle was a birth control + gonadotropin + ganirelix IVF cycle that resulted in retrieving 25 eggs and freezing 8 embryos. All embryos were frozen to prevent OHSS. My first frozen transfer (birth control + Lupron + estrogen patches + progesterone shots + crinone + doxycycline + medrol) was successful and resulted in a singleton pregnancy and live birth. A year and half later, my next transfer following the same protocol resulted in a negative pregnancy test and severe allergic reaction for me. Two months later, my next transfer (which eliminated crinone and used Cipro instead of doxycycline) resulted in a chemical pregnancy and another allergic reaction. I wanted to take time off from FETs and had one natural cycle IUI, which was not successful and then one injectable intercourse cycle, which resulted in pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Denise or Mary H.)
Denise (non-IVF nurse) was awesome. She did a good job relaying information to me and going back to Dr. Wing when I had questions. Mary H. (IVF nurse) was a little more challenging to deal with. I felt like I had to stay on top of her to send prescriptions to my pharmacy, I felt like my questions were not always received well, and often times, she would have another nurse call me back (I'm assuming because she is the nurse manager and was busy, but I would've preferred consistency).
Describe your experience with REACH.
REACH has several good doctors with a lot of experience. Most lab results are provided same day, as the lab is in house. However, I feel like they have too many patients and have set policies/procedures that make patients feel like a numbers vs. an individual. Monitoring is usually not performed by your own doctor and there are extra fees called "cycle management fees" which are not billable to insurance even if you have insurance. It is hard to get financial questions answered, and the financial counselors often would not call me back unless they needed to collect money from me. Billing was a nightmare at REACH, I received several incorrect bills, and there was even an incident of my insurance company being charged for a visit with another patient.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
I did not enjoy monitoring. I felt like a number and rarely got to see my own doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Richard Wing at REACH.
Everything was billable to insurance according to my plan, except cycle management fees. These fees are $160 per cycle for ovulation induction and/or IUI, $600 for fresh IVF, $425 for a FET.
Dr. Wing considered my unique situation when recommending eSET. I have a repaired septate uterus, which is not shaped like most women's uteruses, so he felt transferring one embryo was best.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at REACH.
Most of my issues were a direct result of either being forced to see a different doctor while Dr. Wing was on vacation or being forced to see a different doctor for routine monitoring. These other doctors were not always aware of Dr. Wing's plan or they couldn't answer my questions, leading to issues.
Charlotte

Dr. Whelan was very through from our first meeting with him and spent as much time with us as required. We never felt rushed or that he wasn't willing to answer our questions. Our experience with Dr. Whelan was that at times we may have had to wait a bit to see him, but he would spend as much time with us as we needed. His approach is very factual and realistic, which my husband and I appreciated...many times at follow up appointments, we would have the same conversations or information provided. For some patients that may not be as clear on the process/issue/procedures, this may be helpful but it left me feeling at times as if I was just a "case" and not a person.
REACH is a very busy clinic. They primarily use an online portal for communication which can be accessed at any time and is efficient. Once you start a cycle, your appointments are very regimented. REACH does have an onsite surgery clinic and IVF lab so most of your procedures will be done there. The staff in the onsite surgery facility are awesome and so caring. My main challenge was with the billing department as the invoices do not contain details of what is being billed; however, this improved throughout our time at REACH.
How was your experience with Joseph Whelan at REACH?
If you are a patient at REACH, do not expect to see your primary doctor once you start monitoring as they work as a team on rotation for monitoring. Your primary doctor will perform your embryo transfers and other procedures but may not perform your egg retrieval depending on your scheduled retrieval date. In addition, most of your communication once you start your cycle will go through your nursing team.
When ever we met with Dr. Whelan, both my husband and I were satisfied with our experience. Dr. Whelan was very through from our first meeting with him and spent as much time with us as required. We never felt rushed or that he wasn't willing to answer our questions. My feeling is because REACH is such a busy practice, many times at follow up appointments, we would have the same conversations or information provided. For some patients that may not be as clear on the process/issue/procedures, this may be helpful but it left me feeling at times as if I was just a "case" and not a person. Additionally, at times the nurse coordinators weren't completely informed of our discussions with Dr. Whelan which would at times lead to confusion about the plan of treatment.
IVF cycle # 1: oral BC suppression, gonal-f, low dose hcg, cetrotide and ovidrel trigger. Resulted in 10 eggs retrieved, 7 fertilized with ICSI, At time of Day 5 transfer, only 1 early blastocyst and 1 morula remained; both were transferred. Positive pregnancy of 1 embryo resulting in miscarriage at approximately 9 weeks. IVF cycle #2: oral BC suppression, gonal-f, low dose hcg, omnitrope (for entire stim cycle), cetrotide and ovidrel trigger. Resulted in 14 eggs retrieved (all 14 mature) and fertilized via ICSI. At Day 5, 2 hatching blastocysts were transferred. 2 were watched for continued growth but arrested and were not frozen. Positive pregnancy of 1 embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at REACH. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
The nursing staff at REACH was available via the portal or triage line and responsive. You will be assigned a primary team based on your physician, however, at times you may be contacted by other staff. Melissa and Veronica work primarily with Dr. Whelan and would always respond to my questions (even small ones) within the same day. Melissa is very organized and in fact, during our first cycle, Dr. Whelan advised we could start the process the same day we were in for a follow up appointment. She worked in my saline sonogram, consent review, lab work, injection training and ordered meds all while we were in the office that day so that we didn't have to come back or delay the cycle. We were extremely grateful she made it work for us!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at REACH.
Monitoring appointments will be done from 7-10am and you can go in at any time during that window. If you arrive at 7am there will be a line but REACH is very efficient at moving people through who are there for monitoring. I did not feel that this approach ruined my schedule as I typically could get in and out very quickly first thing in the morning.