Genetic counseling: Offered
Winchester (closed)
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
1-540-662-6092
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) to a friend?

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Don’t wait to go see him! I travel about two hours one way and I wish I had went to him first. He found and surgically treated my uterine septum almost instantaneously....within the first two months. My previous doctor never diagnosed my septum the entire treatment course ... He is very thorough in assessment and treatment. He makes sure that I am able to understand the plan of care and am comfortable. I have never felt rushed or like I’m a number. He answers my questions, no matter how many and makes sure we are in agreement
Dealing with a different practice makes me appreciate them [Repro MEd & Surg Center of VA] so much more. Once they have an assessment, they do not hesitate in moving forward with treatment, IF you are ready and agreeable. They are upfront with cost and seek your input of how to proceed ... Each one [nurse] “specializes” in an area. So the nurse that is present during diagnostics also draws all blood (she’s a great stick too).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
How was your experience with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
I have never felt rushed during any appointment. He always makes sure all of my questions are answered and that we understand all the information. I wish I would have found him sooner!
Describe the protocols Christopher Williams used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
During my initial consult, I had an ultrasound performed along with bloodwork. This happened is one appointment and in one location. I didn’t have to run around to accomplish all of these things. Before I left the first day, my next appointment was set up for an HSG. Afterwards, my MRI and surgery was scheduled all within two months. I love that there is weekend availability for transplantation and insemination!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
The nurses have been so amazing! Each one “specializes” in an area. So the nurse that is present during diagnostics also draws all blood (she’s a great stick too).
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
They are simply amazing! Dealing with a different practice makes me appreciate them so much more. Once they have an assessment, they do not hesitate in moving forward with treatment, IF you are ready and agreeable. They are upfront with cost and seek your input of how to proceed
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Copay and deductible after insurance
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).

PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
She has a maturing personality and instantly made my husband and I feel comforted that she was doing our procedure. ... Dr. Smith performed the ultrasound and showed me that I had fluid in my uterus. ... She allowed me time to cry and came back in the room to follow up. She called me a few days after and again the next week after reviewing my entire chart with the entire staff to ensure I had the best course of action for our next cycle.
Regardless of you who see at RMSCVA, bring questions and take notes. ... Every time I asked if we could transfer more than one embryo, the answer was always “you can but we always suggest just one at a time.” I’m 24. I get it. I have a lot of time to continue treatments. But we’ve been trying for 4 years and I’ve had a cycle canceled for unknown fluid in my uterus. Dr. Smith mentioned that it’s rare for this to happen and if it continues to happen, they can’t do anything about it. So, we may end up going against staffs wishes and requesting two embryos. You have to fill out a form that you understand you’re allowing two chances at life.
PCOS, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
How was your experience with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
My egg retrieval was about two months ago. My embryo transfer was scheduled to happen last week so two weeks ago we went into the office for an ultrasound. Dr. Smith performed the ultrasound and showed me that I had fluid in my uterus. She calmly explained why it was bad for a pregnancy and that the implantation wouldn’t be successful. She allowed me time to cry and came back in the room to follow up. She called me a few days after and again the next week after reviewing my entire chart with the entire staff to ensure I had the best course of action for our next cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Regardless of you who see at RMSCVA, bring questions and take notes. Infertility is extremely detailed and the course of action is unique to every patient.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr. Smith has a warm and friendly approach during every interaction. I had only met her briefly before the day of my egg retrieval. The morning of egg retrieval she came into my pre-op room, answered all of our questions, validated that they were all good questions (because we felt like we were over asking), and she made me feel at ease with the process. She has a maturing personality and instantly made my husband and I feel comforted that she was doing our procedure.
Describe the protocols Laura Smith used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
My first FET cycle was the basic protocol from my understanding. I did Lupron injections for weeks, took estradiol, and intended to take progesterone but my cycle was canceled. My next cycle will be a natural cycle meaning I will ovulate on my own and visit the office every other day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Britt)
Britt was amazing. She’s a spunky, outspoken, organized, and communicates regularly.
Personally, the downside for this clinic is that it’s 3 hours away. I was going to their sub office but it closed mid treatment. I can’t do blood work or ultrasounds anywhere closer to home so I’m forced to travel frequently.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
My cycle was $10,500 plus medication. I was quoted about $5k for medication but we’ve spent about $8k on meds so far.
Describe Laura Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).

We started with IUI [with Dr. Bruce Bateman] and had four failed attempts. The suspected cause was my PCOS and my partners sperm motility. We moved on to start the IVF process middle of this year and currently preparing to transfer one normal PGS tested embryo...strongly suggested single embryo transfer due to the additional risk of a multiple pregnancy...I wish he were more forthcoming with information. I don't always know what questions to ask and would rather be overwhelmed with information than not having enough. Sometimes I think my doctor holds back information or details because he is being compassionate. Even though this is an emotional roller coaster of a process, I would prefer for my doctor to be open and divulge as much as possible.
I believe my clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center] knows what they are doing. They could be more detailed and overcommunicate so that patients are more aware of their treatment details. I have seen other women who seem to get a lot more information in writing, whether it's their next steps, a calendar, etc. This would be beneficial and take some of the unneeded stress off of the patient. I would suggest for new patients to be open and ask as many questions as possible.
How was your experience with Bruce Bateman at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
I really like Dr Bateman although, I wish he were more forthcoming with information. I don't always know what questions to ask and would rather be overwhelmed with information than not having enough. Sometimes I think my doctor holds back information or details because he is being compassionate. Even though this is an emotional roller coaster of a process, I would prefer for my doctor to be open and divulge as much as possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Bateman at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Do your research and ask all the questions you possibly can.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Bateman at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
I am in between on this one. I like my doctor's and nursing staff in the clinic but often times I feel like they are so busy they are just trying to get me in and out so they can move on to the next patient.
Describe the protocols Bruce Bateman used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
We started with IUI and had four failed attempts. The suspected cause was my PCOS and my partners sperm motility. We moved on to start the IVF process middle of this year and currently preparing to transfer one normal PGS tested embryo. We are hoping transfer will be scheduled for early November!
The nursing staff seems overwhelmed with patients, from my assessment. My interactions with them are mainly the result of my feeling like a number. From blood draws to taking me back to the exam room, I feel like they are rushed to get me in and out.
I believe my clinic knows what they are doing. They could be more detailed and overcommunicate so that patients are more aware of their treatment details. I have seen other women who seem to get a lot more information in writing, whether it's their next steps, a calendar, etc. This would be beneficial and take some of the unneeded stress off of the patient. I would suggest for new patients to be open and ask as many questions as possible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Bateman at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
My insurance doesn't cover infertility treatment so everything is an out of pocket expense for us. Each IUI attempt cost around $400 (4 attempts totalled approximately $1,600). We are doing a special "success or refund program" through our clinic. Cost of the program is $26,400, medications so far have been $3,100, pgs testing $3,950, anesthesia $450, and egg storage is $155 quarterly.
Describe Bruce Bateman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
My doctor strongly suggested single embryo transfer due to the additional risk of a multiple pregnancy. At first I was really hoping to get pregnant with twins but after talking with my doctor and doing research, I would prefer to have a strong healthy pregnancy with one instead of adding any additional complications.
Bruce Bateman

Endometriosis, PCOS
[Dr. Christopher Williams has a] Great bedside manner. He always makes sure that you understand the treatment that he recommends and that you feel comfortable with his recommendations. Very respectful. You can tell that he obviously cares about you as a person and wants a positive outcome on for every cycle and does everything that he can to keep you positive. Always lets you know that he is there if you have any questions or concerns at any time. I highly recommend Dr. Williams!
Luckily I haven’t found any weaknesses about the office [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia]...The front desk is always polite and good about getting your appointment scheduled promptly if needed. Very clean office. Wait times are not bad at all. Nurses are good about returning your call if you leave a message with a question or concern. Doctors focus on you 100% when you are in the office...Everyone is very helpful and nice. Great bedside manner and there for you with anything that they can help you with! They are there for you as the patient and spouse!
Endometriosis, PCOS
From the first visit with Dr. Williams I always have felt comfortable. He makes sure to address all questions and concerns and explain them to make sure that my Husband and I understood. Every time we are there for a visit he focused 100% on us when we were in the office. He’s very caring and cares deeply about his patients and wants what’s best. Even when treatments don’t go as planned he’s there and ready to go forward with the next necessary steps. He does a great job at keeping you positive even when it feels like everything is falling through and makes sure you have the right recourses because he knows it’s not any easy process. Even though we cannot see him every visit he’s always there if I call with any questions or concerns. I would 100% without a doubt recommended him to anyone that is going through infertility. I’m so thankful to have Dr. Williams.
Trust him. Don’t be afraid to ask any questions or address any concerns. Let him know exactly what/how you are feeling. Be honest and up front with him and he will do whatever he can to help.
Our very first visit in the beginning of 2018 I went it knowing something just wasn’t right. My husband and I wanted to start a family soon, but I wanted to get my cycles “back to normal “ before we started trying. Initially we were trying to get my pain under control and regulate my cycles and try and figure out the cause of my irregular cycles and terrible pain. Did lots of bloodwork and had lost of questions. After blood work and diagnosis of PCOS we discussed treatment options. My husband and I then decided that since this was my bodies “normal” we would go ahead and try starting a family. We got put on Clomid (50 mg, I think) and tried timer intercourse with ovulation tests and monitoring ultrasounds. After many failed attempts, Dr. Williams discussed getting a Laparoscopy to remove Endometriosis (that by my symptoms he was pretty confident I had). So we went forward with the procedure February 2019. After the procedure and removing the endometriosis, we decided to try with Letrozole (because the Clomid gave me really bad headaches) and ovulation test again. We were All hoping that since we remove the endometriosis it would give me better chances. After months of that not working either, doctors recommended to start IUI’s. I then got out on injections (Gonal F and trigger shot) with the IUI to hopefully allow me to produce more eggs and give us better chances. Unfortunately they failed as well, so now after discussion and prayer we are on to IVF.
Luckily I haven’t found any weaknesses about the office. The front desk is always polite and good about getting your appointment scheduled promptly if needed. Very clean office. Wait times are not bad at all. Nurses are good about returning your call if you leave a message with a question or concern. Doctors focus on you 100% when you are in the office.
Co-Pay with my insurance prior to IUI $50. I may have gotten billed after appointing for what insurance did not cover, but nothing crazy. Meds from pharmacy before IUI NO more than $20 IUI treatment around $470 IUI injections around $400 from a discounted pharmacy, the nurses orders the meds Currently working with IVF now about $16,000 all together.
Describe Christopher Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
We are currently starting the IVF process.
Charlottesville

Dr. Williams is kind and informative. He is blunt, but in a compassionate way. He also makes you feel comfortable and wants you to ask questions. He's explained more to me than other doctors have. He explained risks that i might have due to being a cancer survivor, kindly explained each course of treatment, and was quick to share lab information....I informed him on my first visit that i was a cancer survivor and also chlomid resistant. He actually listened to me. He started with a check of my ovaries to make sure i had eggs and that there was no damage to my ovaries.
The clinic [RMSC] is clean, the front desk staff are friendly and helpful. One of the best things to me is that they have a lab for SA and procedure rooms all on the same floor, which is convenient. They also have an online portal where you can do the majority of first day paperwork digitally instead of having to do it all during your first appointment... The nursing staff are all kind, compassionate, and informative. They don't treat you like they're in a hurry, they take their time with you.
Do not be afraid to ask all of your questions. He is very knowledgeable and wants you to be informed.
He takes the time to explain things in detail. I never feel nervous about asking questions.
I informed him on my first visit that i was a cancer survivor and also chlomid resistant. He actually listened to me. He started with a check of my ovaries to make sure i had eggs and that there was no damage to my ovaries. Something no other doctor has done in my 25 years of remission. He started me on 7.5 mg of letrozole on days 5-9 to start. The next cycle it was 7.5 again, plus trigger shot. The next cycle was 7.5 again, but I ovulated before the trigger shot. That cycle failed as well. On my current cycle he stated he is getting more aggressive. I will now do 7.5 on letrozole days 3-12, 5 mg of prednisone, and trigger shot.
The nursing staff are all kind, compassionate, and informative. They don't treat you like they're in a hurry, they take their time with you. They also want to make sure you fully understand the course of treatment. They're also supportive when you come back in after another failed cycle. The downside is that sometimes they're is a bit of a wait for a call back for various results or answers to questions, but that is understandable.
The clinic is clean, the front desk staff are friendly and helpful. One of the best things to me is that they have a lab for SA and procedure rooms all on the same floor, which is convenient. They also have an online portal where you can do the majority of first day paperwork digitally instead of having to do it all during your first appointment .
I have no fertility coverage through my insurance. For an ultrasound and bloodwork it is around $300 every time i go. Plus the cost of meds. On my income, that is pretty difficult to handle since I go sometimes twice a month for these things.
What specific things went wrong at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
One cycle i got a positive opk at home, but during an ultrasound a few days later, they told me i didn't ovulate and that it was a failed cycle. I believe this assumption was made because i ovulated late during my last cycle and then early this cycle. I believed i did ovulate and they did bloodwork. I got the results the next day confirming that i did ovulate.
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith is honest, caring, and efficient! She has always been honest with us and willing to answer all questions. Dr. Smith has stayed with us longer than expected to answer more questions as well as discuss future options....We have done 2 rounds of IUI due to my husband's low motility. During this time we have taking Letrozole each round to increase ovulation on my end to potentially increase our chances of a successful pregnancy.... Dr. Laura Smith was honest about our chances of pregnancy.
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] has a welcoming atmosphere. The building was easy to find and navigate. The clinic is in Charlottesville, but thankfully not in the heart of town making traffic less daunting. There is ample parking for everyone visiting the building....The nursing staff has always been helpful and insightful. The staff has always provided quick and timely answers to all of our questions....The staff has always been transparent about cost.
Take notes! So many topics are covered during appointments and information can be forgotten. Dr. Smith is very informative and knowledgeable.
Dr. Laura Smith was honest about our chances of pregnancy. Dr. Smith was caring and sympathetic to our journey. She had continued to be open to answering all questions we have as well as being transparent in her answers. We are so thankful that Dr. Smith has been so helpful. She even made sure we were referred for appropriate care with other necessary providers to find answers to our fertility questions. We may not have gotten pregnant yet, but we plan to continue to see Dr. Smith for the remainder of our journey.
The clinic has a welcoming atmosphere. The building was easy to find and navigate. The clinic is in Charlottesville, but thankfully not in the heart of town making traffic less daunting. There is ample parking for everyone visiting the building.
As of today, our cost has been 730 per IUI cycle. That cost includes the IUI as well as the follow up appointments for ultrasounds. Our insurance will not cover any procedures until our deductible has been met. The staff has always been transparent about cost.

Anovulation, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Dr Williams always comes in the appointment and the very first thing I notice from him is how truly compassionate and sincere he is about the failures of the treatment so far. It's amazing how he doesn't even go into the "dr" mode immediately it's the mode of human to Human I care about how you are feeling. He's always been extremely up front of very educational on the treatment plan each time!... I walked out of the first appointment with a lot of hope and for the first time since having my second miscarriage I didn't feel as sad anymore.
The staff [RMSC] is so friendly! Appointments are always on time, I believe we've waited one appointment out of all of them, for more than 15 mins for the dr but it was a weekend also. Speaking of weekends, when we heard they do things weekends and after hours based on your treatment it seriously made us feel like wow they really will do anything to accommodate you.... I don't think I've ever waited more than an hour or two to hear back if I've left a message on their answering services. The are exceptional at keeping the communication open!
Anovulation, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Coming to the clinic for the very first time after suffering two miscarriages my husband and i were already in a defeated mode if you will. But very soon after seeing Dr. Williams the first time i remember just sitting in his office and going over what felt like every little detail, and as sad and upsetting it was it also felt very needed for what was going to be our best treatment plan. I can't explain it but i felt more upset and frustrated before coming to the clinic. I walked out of the first appointment with a lot of hope and for the first time since having my second miscarriage I didn't feel as sad anymore.
Listen to their plans. It seems like a lot of stuff that you have to do to even begin, but it's all worth it to figure out what you need from them!
Once all the pre- testings were over. We started out with oral medications to stimulate ovulation. The reasoning behind this was before we started the clinic I was not having a cycle on my own which means i wasn't ovulating. So it only made sense to start with letrezole. We had tried clomid at our previous obgyn and it didn't work. So we tried the letrezole and realized from an ultrasound it wasn't enough. So the next plan was to continue the oral mediation and then add a trigger injection and do IUI. We've did that three times now with no success yet. But from blood work done we do know the medication is working. So we are trying iui one more time.
Having to take all the medication and injections it's a lot of questions sometimes. I don't think I've ever waited more than an hour or two to hear back if I've left a message on their answering services. The are exceptional at keeping the communication open! They are all great! Feel like we've know them all for years and it's only been 9 months since we started.
The staff is so friendly! Appointments are always on time, I believe we've waited one appointment out of all of them, for more than 15 mins for the dr but it was a weekend also. Speaking of weekends, when we heard they do things weekends and after hours based on your treatment it seriously made us feel like wow they really will do anything to accommodate you. Be prepared to spend money. Our insurance doesn't cover the treatments so it's been very expensive but the staff and doctors have made it very easy to not focus on that part.
Oral medication-10 Trigger injection-200 Ultrasounds-100 IUI-600
Charlottesville

We have tried several different types of protocols along our infertility journey. Dr. Williams diagnosed me with PCOS & Hashimotos disease. I was given Metformin and Synthroid for these issues, which have both helped. I have taken Progesterone MANY times to reset my crazy cycles. No stranger to Clomid either. Most recently we have done a trigger shot with timed intercourse... deeply cares for each of his patients and provides individualized treatment.
The nurses at RMSCVA are top notch. They have been with my husband and I through the best times; finding out I was pregnant. To the worst; finding out I was going to have a miscarriage. They are so sweet and so kind...RMSCVA is a small clinic in Charlottesville. I imagine they serve many many patients however. I don’t have anything negative to stay about the clinic. It is so well run & so patient centered. The receptionist are sweet & always greet me with a smile.
I have been seeing Dr. Williams at Reproductive Medicine and surgery for 9+ months. He has preformed all of my procedures related to infertility; including HSG, many many many MANY ultrasounds and a D & C when I had my miscarriage last year. There isn’t a better reproductive endocrinologist. When I was diagnosed with a blighted ovum in December; he delicately explained what was happening to my husband and I. He even revealed that he & his wife had gone through the same thing twice. He was sincere and respectful to my choice of having a D & C, where other doctors would have pushed me to take medicine or let it happen naturally. He is cheerful each time I see him, and always makes sure I understand everything about the current treatment plan. Infertility SUCKS! But we are so glad to have Dr. Williams on board with us.
Trust him! He knows what he is doing.
Dr. Williams deeply cares for each of his patients and provides individualized treatment.
Oh where to begin. The nurses at RMSCVA are top notch. They have been with my husband and I through the best times; finding out I was pregnant. To the worst; finding out I was going to have a miscarriage. They are so sweet and so kind.
Oh boy. The ugly side of infertility. My husband and I have a high deductible insurance plan. Therefore, hardly any of my treatments or medications were covered. The cost now for ultrasounds, medications, monthly visits and D & C procedure is about $4,000 currently.
Charlottesville

Each time we were unsuccessful, she [Dr. Smith] encouraged us to keep trying and change what we were doing somewhat. Unfortunately, none of these procedures resulted in pregnancy...has wonderful bedside manner and always generated conversation during appointments. She also took time to answer any questions I had...She stopped very frequently to ask if I had questions and to reassure me. I have seen her several times in the duration of my treatments and she has always treated me very well, shown great patience and knowledge of my particular situation. She seems to determine our next steps by carefully analyzing where we have already been and what could be deterring us.
I believe RMSCVA's strengths are an excellent staff (doctors, nurses, and clerical). Everyone seems to be on the same team and works well together. They are all kind and treat patients with respect and care, especially given the emotional state most patients are in. To date, I have only had positive experiences in this clinic and do not believe that they have any weaknesses...They [nurses] are caring and go out of their way to answer your questions thoroughly, despite their busy days. I have made many phone calls to ask questions and have received prompt return calls and have never been made to feel badly for calling. They are always willing to listen and reassure you.
Dr. Smith did my initial consultation and I felt she was very thorough in everything she talked to me about. She stopped very frequently to ask if I had questions and to reassure me. I have seen her several times in the duration of my treatments and she has always treated me very well, shown great patience and knowledge of my particular situation. She seems to determine our next steps by carefully analyzing where we have already been and what could be deterring us.
You will find a trustworthy and knowledgeable doctor and you will feel cared for and respected under her care.
Dr. Smith has wonderful bedside manner and always generated conversation during appointments. She also took time to answer any questions I had.
Dr. Smith tried to utilize my summer off last year (I'm a teacher) to run through all of the initial fertility testing. She also prescribed me clomid both with and without IUIs early last fall. We also did a prescription of Letrazole with Follistim injections and an IUI last November. The rationale behind these procedures was a progressive approach to getting pregnant through the least aggressive means. Each time we were unsuccessful, she encouraged us to keep trying and change what we were doing somewhat. Unfortunately, none of these procedures resulted in pregnancy.
The nurses at RMSCVA are absolutely wonderful. They are caring and go out of their way to answer your questions thoroughly, despite their busy days. I have made many phone calls to ask questions and have received prompt return calls and have never been made to feel badly for calling. They are always willing to listen and reassure you.
At first, my treatments were not at all covered by insurance, so once I started doing IUIs and injectible medications, the cost went up drastically. Visits and ultrasounds were somewhere between $100-200. I believe an IUI is around $400. Medications are anywhere from $500-2500.
Based on information I have been given alone (I have not yet gone through this), I believe that Dr. Smith and all of the other doctors at her clinic use single embryo transfer approach in hopes of reducing the health risks to mother and baby.
Charlottesville

When we sat in his office to cover what the IVF process is going to look like he was patient. We didn’t feel like we were being rushed in and out of his office. He took the time to help us understand the questions we asked and we appreciated his blunt yet explainable manner.... My husband and I are still considering doing multiple and did bring this up with Dr Williams. He explained his preference with doing a single transfer and why he prefers single from the risk of doing two.
Everyone in the office [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] is wonderful. From the front desk to billing to nurses to IVF nurses.... Their on call is very responsive. Their waiting room is very relaxing. I was in to my appointments on time 98% of the time. Their packets for IVF are detailed in explaining pricing and packages. We travel over an hour to get to this office and for anyone looking for the right clinic, this really was a great fit for us.
I explained this mostly in the previous question however we really did appreciate having him as a doctor. He explained everything to us every step of the way and again did not get frustrated but he understood when we had questions and helped us understand. I honestly don’t feel that we’ve had any negative experiences with him.
He’s very knowledgeable and detailed when helping you understand your fertility process.
We originally had another doctor at clinic but have had Dr Williams the last several times. We are on our first IVF process so I don’t have too much feedback here since we’ve just begun.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Everyone in the office is wonderful. From the front desk to billing to nurses to IVF nurses. Stephanie has such an uplifting personality and great bedside manner.
Their on call is very responsive. Their waiting room is very relaxing. I was in to my appointments on time 98% of the time. Their packets for IVF are detailed in explaining pricing and packages. We travel over an hour to get to this office and for anyone looking for the right clinic, this really was a great fit for us. We did go to another clinic in northern VA prior to coming here but felt as if we were a number and the distance was also a factor so we chose Charlottesville and have not regretted it.
So far we’ve seen the cost to be comparable to others in Virginia. Virginia does not carry IVF health insurance so we will be paying the full bill. Charlottesville has given us their lending company that they have researched and we will be using.
My husband and I are still considering doing multiple and did bring this up with Dr Williams. He explained his preference with doing a single transfer and why he prefers single from the risk of doing two. While we understand his explanation of risk, all of those things are possibilities when someone gets naturally pregnant with twins. Dr Williams is of course leaving the decision up to us and was still very positive with us.

Endometriosis, Male Factor
Dr. Williams was straight forward with information and process and open to hearing my concerns and getting answers for my pain and infertility...Working with him over the past few years has been great, glad I was referred by my OBGYN. Once meeting with him the concerns I had were addressed and sought to get answers...we discussed laporoscopy to find out the cause of the pain which revealed stage 1 endometriosis. From here we developed a plan to start round of clomid on days 5-9 now that the endometriosis had been cleared. I went through 5 cycles of clomid and husband in medication to improve his sperm and still no pregnancy. Then in July 2019 we did our first IUI with another medicated cycle again resulting in no pregnancy. Due to mounting frustration with infertility and paying off bills accumulated from these visits as it's not covered my our insurance we decided to take a break. Hoping to resume things in November.
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is usually good about accommodating our work schedule as we live an hour and a half away from this clinic. They are professional and help in any way they can. The billing department is very resourceful and often made attempts to stay on our insurance to cover things if possible...The nursing staff here are excellent. Their care for patients is great and they engage you in the process and comfort. Clinic Errors
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Working with him over the past few years has been great, glad I was referred by my OBGYN. Once meeting with him the concerns I had were addressed and sought to get answers. Currently we are taking a break from treatment but looking forward to coming back and working on a plan with Dr. Williams specifically. In past visits and procedures we worked with other doctors whose manner has been different from Dr. Williams.
Go into any situation regarding infertility with an open mind and your questions. Don't shy away from wanting to know and express your concerns and needs. Dr. Williams is excellent in hearing your concerns and working with you to address them.
I was initially referred to Dr. Williams in 2017 after repeated visits with my OBGYN with concerns of pains, not getting pregnant, having cysts, and lastly performing an SIS and later HSG which showed a blockage on my left fallopian tube. At this point I was referred to Dr. Williams. Dr. Williams then meet with me for a consult and did his own blood work, HSG, pelvic exam and listened to my concern for continuous pelvic pain. He also ran a sperm sample on my husband and later referred him to a specialist, urologist Dr. Smith. From here we discussed laporoscopy to find out the cause of the pain which revealed stage 1 endometriosis. From here we developed a plan to start round of clomid on days 5-9 now that the endometriosis had been cleared. I went through 5 cycles of clomid and husband in medication to improve his sperm and still no pregnancy. Then in July 2019 we did our first IUI with another medicated cycle again resulting in no pregnancy. Due to mounting frustration with infertility and paying off bills accumulated from these visits as it's not covered my our insurance we decided to take a break. Hoping to resume things in November.
The clinic is usually good about accommodating our work schedule as we live an hour and a half away from this clinic. They are professional and help in any way they can. The billing department is very resourceful and often made attempts to stay on our insurance to cover things if possible
The cost was usually the most concerning for us as our insurance considered this clinic out of the network as well as our insurance plan does not cover infertility treatment.
There was one incident in which I scheduled an appointment over the phone weeks ahead, had to schedule to be off work. In the day off the appointment we drive down and check in but they say we are not in the schedule. I noted to them to conversation and with whom I made the appointment. However, they were quick to resolve it and we were able to still be seen that day just not at our time but an hour later.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
He was very well educated and talked to us on a level we could understand. Dr. Williams didn’t rush through the appointment, but rather took time to even discuss other factors of our lifestyles that might help us to work on.... I had an ultrasound during the initial visit to check me so he could have a better understanding of my needs. He also had my husband do a semen analysis to check to see if he was also a factor in our inability to conceive after my previous provider had done numerous IUI’s on us.
Great practice [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Ctr of VA], only downfall is our insurance doesn’t provide treatment coverage so we are required to pay up front in full at each visit. However I understand this is not their fault but I wish they offered financing options or payment plans.... [Nursing staff was] Very kind and considerate of the fact that we had traveled a distance to come to the appointment. They were great with our blood draws as well....About $300 for initial visit.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Definitely choose this doctor, even though we haven’t successfully conceived yet, I fully trust he is doing the best to help us through this process.
He was very kind, and professional. I had never seen a doctor while on my monthly cycle and was very nervous, but they treated me better than any provider I have seen.
I had an ultrasound during the initial visit to check me so he could have a better understanding of my needs. He also had my husband do a semen analysis to check to see if he was also a factor in our inability to conceive after my previous provider had done numerous IUI’s on us. Come to find out Dr. Williams discovered my husband not only had low sperm count but also low testosterone. They were able to refer him to see a urologist who is now treating my husband in hopes to raise those numbers, before we proceed to another IUI attempt.
Great practice, only downfall is our insurance doesn’t provide treatment coverage so we are required to pay up front in full at each visit. However I understand this is not their fault but I wish they offered financing options or payment plans.
About $300 for initial visit.

2017 - 2019
She [Dr. Laura Smith] is always willing to answer any questions that I ask, and she always knows how to answer my questions. My experience with Dr. Smith has been positive, other than the fact that I’m not pregnant yet!...if you want someone that is dynamic and thourough, Dr. Smith does fit this profile...prescribed me various medications and and three cycles of IUI. This was not successful, but I think that this is standard protocol to follow prior to IVF. Next, Dr. Smith recommended IVF with PGS, and so that is what we are doing.
The nurses [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] are very dynamic and they get back to me quickly. They have done a good job answering all of my questions ( I have had a lot of them! ) And they are very knowledgeable. I have also been very accommodating to my requests...The facilities are always clean and well decorated. I know a lot of people who have gotten pregnant at this facility so I know that they have a good success rate. My only complaint is that they seem extremely busy all the time and sometimes crowded. I think that many people commute 1 to 2 hours to get to this facility as there are not many others in central Virginia. I would actually really like to recommend that they expand to the Lynchburg area.
2017 - 2019
Dr. Smith has been very straight forward with me and has explained all of the procedures to me although she does sometimes talk a little bit fast and can be a bit hard to follow. She seems very knowledgeable and medically minded. I do feel that she is very focused on results and that is exactly what I need from a doctor, especially in this field. As I stated before, I would not say that she has a relaxed bedside manner which for my husband is not a good thing, but I prefer this personality type in this particular setting. She is always willing to answer any questions that I ask, and she always knows how to answer my questions. My experience with Dr. Smith has been positive, other than the fact that I’m not pregnant yet!
I would say that if you want someone who is relaxed and easy-going, someone who makes you feel calm, Dr. Bateman is the doctor that you want. However if you want someone that is dynamic and thourough, Dr. Smith does fit this profile. I would recommend her.
Dr. Smith is very straight forward and very medically-minded. She does not have a relaxed bedside manner like Dr. Bateman. However, I prefer that as I don’t want my doctor to be too relaxed. I like that she seems very focused on results and I trust her knowledge.
Dr. Smith prescribed me various medications and and three cycles of IUI. This was not successful, but I think that this is standard protocol to follow prior to IVF. Next, Dr. Smith recommended IVF with PGS, and so that is what we are doing.
The nurses are very dynamic and they get back to me quickly. They have done a good job answering all of my questions ( I have had a lot of them! ) And they are very knowledgeable. I have also been very accommodating to my requests. For example, one time I asked if I could film the directions that one of the nurses was giving me about the medication and I was allowed to do this. This was immensely helpful for me.
This seems to be a top rated facility and all of the doctors and nurses have seemed extremely knowledgeable. The facilities are very nice. The secretaries are very kind and patient. The facilities are always clean and well decorated. I know a lot of people who have gotten pregnant at this facility so I know that they have a good success rate. My only complaint is that they seem extremely busy all the time and sometimes crowded. I think that many people commute 1 to 2 hours to get to this facility as there are not many others in central Virginia. I would actually really like to recommend that they expand to the Lynchburg area.
IVF was A little over $14,000. I think that the rounds of UUI were a couple thousand dollars each.
Dr. Smith has recommended a single transfer. According to what I have read on all other resources, this is the best approach. I feel that she makes responsible and cautious recommendations. This makes me feel that she has my health and her best interest .
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
He [Dr. Williams] used layman terms and he makes sure to ask if I’m okay and how I feel about my treatment. He also allows me to ask about different options I have and provides me with very detailed information...He is very informative but always shows compassion and is very understanding of our frustration with infertility. He maintains dignity and walks me through every step when I am having a procedure or scan done...We went through two IUI cycles and with the second cycle I was injected two days before the IUI took place. Before coming to doctor Williams I had a hysteroscopy done to make sure I did not have endometriosis or fibroids or any big cysts. Every visit I have a transvaginal scan done to measure each ovary and see how many possible follicles I have. I am suppose to go every 5th day of my cycle to make sure I can begin taking my letrozole.
A single fresh IVF cycle [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is 8600...IVF freeze all cycle is 13,000...Frozen embryo cycle is 3,000...And they also offer a IVF refund program that involves getting money back for a failed cycle...No medications are included in these prices but they do include the anesthesia and so forth for the procedure...The clinic has great parking and even a fitness area in the main lobby. They have their own lab so as soon as your spouse drops off the semen for the analysis it only take 45 minutes for that to be prepared for the IUI . There is a great view off a balcony which I would go to sit when I had a bad visit or was worried about what would happen next.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Dr. Williams is a well known in the region and has been recognized with numerous awards which lets you know he’s great at what he does. He is very informative but always shows compassion and is very understanding of our frustration with infertility. He maintains dignity and walks me through every step when I am having a procedure or scan done.
Come with a lot of questions and stay off of the internet because sometimes the internet can discourage and it’s no need because Doctor Williams will answer every question entirely to assure you feel comfortable with every procedure or injection.
He used layman terms and he makes sure to ask if I’m okay and how I feel about my treatment. He also allows me to ask about different options I have and provides me with very detailed information. Him and his staff are always so nice and they treat you like you’re family and they are rooting for you every time you have a procedure or injection!
The nursing staff were very welcoming and they showed a lot of compassionate and when we had a failed cycle of IUI or letrezole alone, they were just as down as we were which makes you feel like you are not alone. The nurses can always be reached if an emergency occurs or you need an appointment first thing the next morning. They are also great with emailing and returning phone calls.
A single fresh IVF cycle is 8600 IVF freeze all cycle is 13,000 Frozen embryo cycle is 3,000 And they also offer a IVF refund program that involves getting money back for a failed cycle No medications are included in these prices but they do include the anesthesia and so forth for the procedure
They have a very detailed page on all of the services they offer along with prices which include the embryo transfer, freezing of embryos, IUI, IVF and so forth.
Charlottesville

Dr. Williams did everything he believed was the safest and most effective routes during my treatment. ... He provides a trusting atmosphere, with compassion, but still getting to the point without providing false hope. ... He initially provided the most cost effective route, but once he felt that IUI's would not work, he suggested IVF if I was willing. Dr. Williams never jumped the gun, but still kept the same timely goals in mind with me and my husband. ...
The clinic [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] provides the best emotionally stable atmosphere for patients who come in with little to no hope. When I walked in there, I left feeling more hopeful about the entire situation. They were great to work with and there were very few weaknesses I found. The only thing I could suggest is the front desk staff answering phone calls could communicate more with the nursing staff on some things, to provide parallel information.
Dr. Chris Williams is the best doctor I have ever seen. He knows his stuff and is a well rounded professional. He provides a trusting atmosphere, with compassion, but still getting to the point without providing false hope. I absolutely love Dr. Williams and would recommend him for anyone and everyone who struggles with infertility. He provides a hope simply because of the trust I have in his knowledge and professionalism.
That he is great and to fully trust his decisions. Be open and honest with him, because that's what he does with you.
Dr. Williams is hands down, one of the best, if not the best, doctor I have ever worked with. He was simply amazing. To the point, but such an amazing bedside manner. He is great at his job and I would highly recommend him with anyone. I felt safe and well taken care of under his care. I trust his decisions and will fully rely on him for my future pregnancy planning.
Dr. Williams did everything he believed was the safest and most effective routes during my treatment. He initially provided the most cost effective route, but once he felt that IUI's would not work, he suggested IVF if I was willing. Dr. Williams never jumped the gun, but still kept the same timely goals in mind with me and my husband.
Although Dr. Williams is amazing, the nursing staff is also amazing as well. They are also what provided such an amazing experience during such a difficult time.
The clinic provides the best emotionally stable atmosphere for patients who come in with little to no hope. When I walked in there, I left feeling more hopeful about the entire situation. They were great to work with and there were very few weaknesses I found. The only thing I could suggest is the front desk staff answering phone calls could communicate more with the nursing staff on some things, to provide parallel information.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
I had little to no issues with monitoring appointments. They would also provide alternatives to come to local places for monitoring near my hometown, so that I would not have to drive all the way to Charlottesville.
IVF is expensive anywhere you go, but I felt as though this clinic has the best options financially. I would highly recommend others to go through Reproductive Medicine of Virginia.
Dr. Williams suggested to transfer only one embryo because he felt as though it was the safest. I trusted his decision, as he provided statistics to support his theory and suggestion.
Charlottesville

After having all of my lab work, Dr Williams performed an HSG, and ordered a semen analysis for my husband. It was determined my tubes we’re open and my husband’s sperm was found to be completely normal. I was diagnosed by Dr. Williams as having PCOS and he recommended IVF as the next step for us...He is very kind, patient and gentle. He is extremely knowledgeable and explains everything clearly in understandable terms.
They [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] are extremely patient. All of the doctors seem to work well together. The nursing staff is extremely caring and kind. The Administrative staff were helpful and walked us through every step of the process. You do have to indicate which office you wish to be seen in otherwise they will automatically schedule you in their Charlottesville office.
He is very patient, understanding, and listens to his patient’s concerns. He explains everything in detail and spends an appropriate amount of time to every patient. He doesn’t give you a sense of false hope. He is provides his patients realistic expectations.
Trust him because he is a great doctor who is extremely knowledgeable.
All of the nurses have been extremely caring, compassionate. And helpful to me at all of my visits.
They are extremely patient. All of the doctors seem to work well together. The nursing staff is extremely caring and kind. The Administrative staff were helpful and walked us through every step of the process. You do have to indicate which office you wish to be seen in otherwise they will automatically schedule you in their Charlottesville office.
Most of the laboratory work ordered was covered by insurance. Out of pocket was around $230. I also paid about $750 out of pocket for the HSG. And then $35 co-pay for each visit.
I prefer to do multiple embryo transfer if we have numerous viable embryos.
When my chart was not in Winchester ,due to a mix up with the clerical staff. my nurse stopped and picked it up personally. I also have had difficulty getting my prescriptions refilled.
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere with trying to have a baby. She is very through and makes sure you understand everything that is said. She is very cheerful and really enjoys what she does.... She made you feel Comfortable. She gave you all the details and broke Down everything down. She had solutions and had steps for us to take to get there.... I have had a lot of blood work taken to check amh, thyroid and amongst other things.
The whole Staff [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] is so nice and understandable... It is a clinic that I know most of the other when I know going through fertility, go to. It is very welcoming and everyone is friendly and helps with any questions you would need. The location is great and right off the interstate. It is worth the 1:40 min or so for the service you get.... Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere
Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere with trying to have a baby. She is very through and makes sure you understand everything that is said. She is very cheerful and really enjoys what she does. My experience as a patient has been awesome!!! I know my future encounters with her will be just as wonderful.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions in anything you may not understand.
I have not had any cycles done with Laura smith. I have had a lot of blood work taken to check amh, thyroid and amongst other things. I had also had a HSG which my tubes are perfectly clear. I took The varicella vaccine twice and I am Immune to it. Whenever I am able to, I can start treatment, but it looks like it will be a while. Iui with objectibles or IVF would need to happen ( that’s if I can lose Enough weight for IVF :( )
The whole Staff is so nice and understandable
$787.00 - consultation and blood work $695.00. HSG $140.00 follow up visit w results $1,763.00 lab work bill from The hospital that was separate from Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Charlottesville

Dr. Williams always remembers who I am and what I am struggling with. Even if that means reading a paper before I come in, it makes a difference. He also meets us at our level. I am a nurse and he talks to me like a medical professional including current evidence based research on infertility. But he also breaks it down so my non-medical professional husband can understand.... We had diagnostic testing first. Then exploratory lap for endo. Found mild case of endo and adjusted the game plan.
Strengths: [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.... Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Dr. Williams is incredibly knowledgeable about this field. He makes you feel at ease at such a difficult time in life. He doesn’t rush you out of the office if you have questions. I trust his judgement and truly believe that he wants us to make a successful pregnancy as much as we do.
Book him now.
We had diagnostic testing first. Then exploratory lap for endo. Found mild case of endo and adjusted the game plan. Husband also has low morphology. He was seen by urologist and nothing was wrong. Can’t figure out what is causing the low Morph except possible environmental exposure during a deployment. We tried one round of clomid with my body responding fine but no baby. Then 5 more rounds of IUI with no luck. They would have stopped after 4 but I needed to prove six attempts before insurance would pay for ivf. Egg retrieval went well with no complications. However the transfer was disappointing. We did FET due to choosing PGS. My body didn’t respond to the hormones and my uterine lining didn’t grow. I didn’t feel I was fully educated that this was a possibility and came a large disappointment. We went ahead with a transfer with some education on reduction of success due to thin lining. We met with dr Williams again after the failed cycle. He was very kind and shared of disappointment. However he did not dwell on it and shared the plan for next cycle and sounded very hopeful for us, which we desperately needed at that time. We are trying long term Lupron to suppress my endo (even tho it’s a mild case) and attempting another transfer after the first of the year. Fingers crossed as our insurance coverage won’t cover much more after the next transfer.
As a fellow nurse, I can assure you that these ladies are top notch. The office is so busy and they keep things running and sane. They are very skilled at blood draws and are so compassionate. They have given me hugs and tissues more than once. I trust them all with so many aspects of my healthcare.
Strengths: always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.
As mentioned before, we could never get a straight answer on what we paying for specifically. We have spent almost 17 grand out of pocket including PGS and one transfer. We also have insurance that will cover 15 grand in infertility coverage one time. Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Given our age, dr Williams has always encourage single transfer.
I only had once instance where I was expecting a call back to move forward with next steps in the transfer hormone process. I have know way of knowing if it affected my cycle but I started the next steps a day later than I was told to due to not receiving that call.

2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
When I started my infertility journey in 1999, things were very different. The current treatment of that archaic time was to cut out a wedge of my ovary to “kickstart” it. With Dr. Bateman everything he recommended was researched-based and progressive.... Dr. Bateman put in my twins in 2014. When I went back last month to put in my last remaining frozen embryo, he remembered me. With the numerous people he sees on a daily basis, he took time to talk to me before the FET and hold my hand and wish me luck when it was complete.
Overall I would rate this clinic [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records!... Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
When I started my infertility journey in 1999, things were very different. The current treatment of that archaic time was to cut out a wedge of my ovary to “kickstart” it. With Dr. Bateman everything he recommended was researched-based and progressive. He never recommended fertility drugs like Clomid, I did 14 cycles of that in 2000. He read my medical history and knew I did not need to go back to that stage. When the IUI did not work, he was the one who said IVF with ICSI was needed due to my husband’s inconsistent sperm counts and motility. When the two fresh embryos did not take when a colleague put them in, he recommended assisted hatching. This cycle, four years later, Now includes assisted hatching in its basic costs. Every “setback” was seen by him as another step. He never once made me feel that a baby was not just around the corner. He kept hope even when we were stressed and losing faith. His calm manner was contagious.
Don’t do a fresh transfer, let your body go back to equilibrium.
Dr. Bateman put in my twins in 2014. When I went back last month to put in my last remaining frozen embryo, he remembered me. With the numerous people he sees on a daily basis, he took time to talk to me before the FET and hold my hand and wish me luck when it was complete. Both FETs he did resulted in pregnancies. I’m currently 16 days with baby three after starting this process in 1999!
Skipped Clomid because of my 2000 records. Started with prelim tests to check for causes of infertility. No blockages in tubes, good egg reserve, high thyroid, PCOS, low sperm count and motility. Did IUI because we requested. Did egg retrieval protocol with Gonal F and frequent ovary checks. Egg retrieval followed by fresh transfer. ICSI and 2 fresh 5 day blasts used. Three additional blasts frozen on day five. Unsuccessful Frozen Embryo Transfer using assisted hatching at age 38. Twins. I think same meds last time as this time. Frozen Embryo Transfer age 42. 16 days pregnant. Medications this time were birth control, estrace, lupron, progesterone in oil and progesterone suppositories. And thyroid meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix)
Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me. Stephanie was standing right behind him. I knew when I saw her smile from ear to ear that everything was okay. Then they turned around the screen and I saw the two sacs for myself. I was not the only one tearing up. She was also the one to call me the first time with the fresh transfer and break the news that it was not a pregnancy. I would not want that part of her job for all the money in the world. She is a blessing. Finally, at the end of my egg retrieval cycle in 2014, when they kept upping my dose until I was at four vials a day, I ended up running short mere days before the trigger shot. She packed a small bag for me that had the necessary meds so I did not have to pay extra for overnight delivery. (Now they all seem to deliver overnight.)
Overall I would rate this clinic a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records! Dr. Smith sat with me for almost an hour and answered my laundry list of questions. I felt at ease and hopeful for the very first time. Additionally, things moved quickly. After more than a decade of vague answers, I walked out of this clinic in less than a year pregnant with twins. Is it any wonder I went back this year to see if my frozen baby would take?
My insurance paid for testing until I got a diagnosis. After that, we paid around 500 plus meds for the IUIs. We were approved for the $20k shared risk program, but at the last minute went with the $12k procedure which included egg retrieval, ICSI, and transfer. The following FET cycles cost $2850. Meds for the egg retrieval ran about $3K and about $700 for the transfers. Costs have changed since I first went; for example, assisted hatching is included in the price now. My first FET was $2500 with $650 added for AH. Now everyone pays the $2850. In reality, the only thing that slowed down our journey to parenthood was money. I took us right at a year to save the money for the four months of treatment (2IUIs, 1 fresh ICSI IVF, 1 frozen ICSI, AH, IVF) we ended up doing.
I was 38 and had been seeking fertility treatments for 14 years. By the time we were recommended to Dr. Bateman, we were serious about having at least one. We were counseled about multiple births and selected 2 for the fresh and 2 more for the frozen. He gave us guidelines, but the final choice within those guidelines was ours.
Bruce Bateman
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bruce Bateman at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).

Dr. Williams is warm and friendly, listened to our concerns and came up with a plan we were comfortable. He told us there was no reason to jump into the most expensive and invasive option, but would have allowed it if we wanted to go that route right away. He really cares about his patients.... We are unexplained and 35 years old. Dr. Williams has had us do 3 cycles of TI with letrozole 5mg and 1 IUI with letrozole 5mg but we have not yet been successful. I responded well to the medication, but as with unexplained, we have no idea why it didn't work.
This clinic is great. Clean, easy to find, ample parking. I drive several hours to get to this location when there are several other clinics in my area...that should tell you something about Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center! :)... Costs are substantially less than the well known fertility clinics in my area. Specifically about a fifth of the price for IUI and half the cost for IVF than another clinic I went to in the DC metro area, where I also went for a consultation and was not impressed with how I was treated at all.
Hurry and make your appointment!
Dr. Williams and his staff are top notch. They are all very warm and caring, and I really believe that their goal is the same as mine...to take home a live baby at the end of all this! I haven't been successful yet, but am confident in Dr. Williams.
We are unexplained and 35 years old. Dr. Williams has had us do 3 cycles of TI with letrozole 5mg and 1 IUI with letrozole 5mg but we have not yet been successful. I responded well to the medication, but as with unexplained, we have no idea why it didn't work. We started out with the cheapest, least invasive option. Lots of other clinics want to put you right to IUI or IVF, but medications do work for a lot of people-Dr. Williams isnt out to just spend your money, like some bigger clinics are!
Very friendly and helpful, I call a lot and ask a ton of questions and the staff is always so prompt at returning calls.
No opinion on this at this time.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.... Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital.... When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
Nursing staff [Repro Med & Surg Ctr] always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.... All strengths, one hour from home a big plus, easy to locate. Every staff member very friendly and helpful. All reproductive needs can be met in the same building, urologist for the male partner, lab, sensual collection rooms.... [Cost Of Treatment] For the year at this point, $2800. That includes labs. Meds ultrasounds, IUI, and HSG. All dr visits
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Always greets at waiting room, hand shakes, lives my husbands sense of humor, brought babysitting children a few times and dr Williams shared a moment with them. Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital. Always smiles and walks to the door. When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
Go in with an open mind and listen fully as he explains
Reception always friendly and helpful in person and on the phone, nurses as well, greet me by name each time. Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.
Repeat HSG, explained that it wouldn’t be painful as before with other dr, same result blocked tube, prescribed 50 mg clomid for 5 days, 25 mg clomid for my husband with low sperm count. Attempted 1 IUI with HCG trigger. Ovulation, 1.9 million sperm Negative test. Dr Williams decided then with the low count of my husband that IVF would be worth a try
Nursing staff always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.
Haven’t gotten to that point yet
Charlottesville

From our first visit, she [Dr. Laura Smith] explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
The clinic [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
From our first visit, she explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
Laura Smith, and the rest of the physicians and clinic staff as well, remember every detail about me. All the way down to what I do for a living. I can tell they take the time to review my history before entering the clinic room. The nurses and other staff always remember my name, I never have to formally check in I just give them a wave.
Jumped right in with IUI from the first cycle (I had done clomid a few times already) with letrozole and trigger shots. My husbands sperm analysis showed a few issues. I did this for two cycles and have been unsuccessful so far.
So compassionate! They ask how you are doing always and really listen. They explain every detail so well and are incredibly helpful. I truly believe they go above and beyond.
Strengths - Excellent bedside manner. So compassionate. I feel confident in all the physician's care, even though we have not yet had success, they are consistently altering my treatment plan and explaining every detail. The clinic is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
I am so incredibly fortunate to have health insurance coverage for fertility treatments.
Charlottesville

He [Dr. Williams] spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me....We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good
The staff and doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why...The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask...They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things... The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
He spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me.
Do your research but trust in what he says, it's served me well.
The staff and doctors are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why.
We did a few cycles of timed intercourse with clomid, no pregnancies. We tried IUI's with clomid, femara, and gonal F (not the same cycle) with no pregnancies as well. We took breaks in between cycles due to our jobs. We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good. I have good reserves for someone my age.
The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask. The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
The clinic works with me to get my appointments scheduled so that I can minimize my time off. They have weekend hours as well for when ovulation occurs then. That's nice. It's also conveniently located so the trip, which is almost two hours, is rarely wasted on just a doctor visit. That makes the entire situation a tad less stressful. They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things.
It varied based on what was done. Our insurance doesn't cover IVF/Infertility. The offices do work with me and bill what insurance covers and I out of pocket the rest.
We are still early in this process. From what I have gathered, he uses clinical evidence and the patients history to decide what is best.
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith is very knowledgeable regarding her area. She explains everything in detail and make sure we know our options. She frequently reaches out if we need anything, and makes herself available even on Sundays, if need be.... She's very attentive, warm, and detailed in her explanation regarding our situation. She takes her time explaining to us what we need to do and our options.
Clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
Make sure you communicate your expectations and fears. Dr. Smith takes the time to listen to you.
I have had three rounds of pills + injectables (Follistim +HCG). She adjusts the dosage as needed. However, I am very sensitive to the hormones, and had to cancel a cycle.
Nursing staff follows the same approach as Dr. Smith. They are compassionate and understanding, as this is a very emotional time for a woman. I have called them with numerous questions, and they always make themselves available to answer them.
Clinic is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
some exams were covered by insurance, such as consultation, ultrasonography. The medication varies according to your needs (dosage). With injectables, we have spent around 350-500 a cycle +350 for UIU (Not sure regarding these numbers).

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
She [Dr. Smith] recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own... Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
This [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area...Stephanie [nurse] is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
She is great. She was very good about tailoring treatment to me/us, and explained fully how with my reserve we would probably only get 1-2 viable blasts and she was right - we have one. She was thorough in our initial consult and did not at all seem inconvenience that we were there for a second opinion prior to starting an ivf cycle and had already gotten a protocol plan from another doctor. She explained why the clinic does freeze all cycles and I left our initial consult feeling very confident in her clinic and feeling comfortable about moving forward. When I’ve seen her since for monitoring & retrieval same thing.
You will see her partners as well for monitoring and even potentially retrieval/transfer, although Dr. Williams was doing retrievals the day I was set for mine and she did come and do mine specifically which was nice. Also the clinic recommends freeze all cycles.
She read over all my results at a previous clinic and tailored my ivf cycle to me specifically instead of going with a predetermined protocol. She also made sure we repeated testing that looked off previously but wasn’t addressed. She was realistic but kind and compassionate.
She recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own. Lupron plus hcg trigger. Once my period started I began 2 weeks of birth control for the FET and went on lupron injections. Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
Stephanie is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
This is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area.
Nothing is covered by insurance. Compared to the large clinic I started with the prices at RMSCVA are better. Our freeze all cycle was $10,500 (we did not do PGS or ICSI). Medications were a few thousand. HSG and blood work about $200, ultrasound $140 or similar. My husband ended up owing $50 for blood work and sperm analysis I think.
Ultimately she said it would be up to us but recommended no more than 2. We ended up having 1 so it is a non issue.