Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
595 Martha Jefferson Drive
Charlottesville, VA 22911
866-540-5190
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia to a friend?
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Nursing staff [Repro Med & Surg Ctr] always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.... All strengths, one hour from home a big plus, easy to locate. Every staff member very friendly and helpful. All reproductive needs can be met in the same building, urologist for the male partner, lab, sensual collection rooms.... [Cost Of Treatment] For the year at this point, $2800. That includes labs. Meds ultrasounds, IUI, and HSG. All dr visits
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Reception always friendly and helpful in person and on the phone, nurses as well, greet me by name each time. Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.
Nursing staff always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.
How was your experience with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Always greets at waiting room, hand shakes, lives my husbands sense of humor, brought babysitting children a few times and dr Williams shared a moment with them. Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital. Always smiles and walks to the door. When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Go in with an open mind and listen fully as he explains
Describe the protocols Christopher Williams used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
Repeat HSG, explained that it wouldn’t be painful as before with other dr, same result blocked tube, prescribed 50 mg clomid for 5 days, 25 mg clomid for my husband with low sperm count. Attempted 1 IUI with HCG trigger. Ovulation, 1.9 million sperm Negative test. Dr Williams decided then with the low count of my husband that IVF would be worth a try
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Describe Christopher Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Haven’t gotten to that point yet
Charlottesville
The staff and doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why...The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask...They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things... The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
The clinic works with me to get my appointments scheduled so that I can minimize my time off. They have weekend hours as well for when ovulation occurs then. That's nice. It's also conveniently located so the trip, which is almost two hours, is rarely wasted on just a doctor visit. That makes the entire situation a tad less stressful. They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things.
The staff and doctors are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask. The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
He spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me.
Do your research but trust in what he says, it's served me well.
We did a few cycles of timed intercourse with clomid, no pregnancies. We tried IUI's with clomid, femara, and gonal F (not the same cycle) with no pregnancies as well. We took breaks in between cycles due to our jobs. We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good. I have good reserves for someone my age.
It varied based on what was done. Our insurance doesn't cover IVF/Infertility. The offices do work with me and bill what insurance covers and I out of pocket the rest.
We are still early in this process. From what I have gathered, he uses clinical evidence and the patients history to decide what is best.
Charlottesville
Clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
Clinic is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
She's very attentive, warm, and detailed in her explanation regarding our situation. She takes her time explaining to us what we need to do and our options.
Nursing staff follows the same approach as Dr. Smith. They are compassionate and understanding, as this is a very emotional time for a woman. I have called them with numerous questions, and they always make themselves available to answer them.
How was your experience with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Smith is very knowledgeable regarding her area. She explains everything in detail and make sure we know our options. She frequently reaches out if we need anything, and makes herself available even on Sundays, if need be.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Make sure you communicate your expectations and fears. Dr. Smith takes the time to listen to you.
Describe the protocols Laura Smith used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
I have had three rounds of pills + injectables (Follistim +HCG). She adjusts the dosage as needed. However, I am very sensitive to the hormones, and had to cancel a cycle.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
some exams were covered by insurance, such as consultation, ultrasonography. The medication varies according to your needs (dosage). With injectables, we have spent around 350-500 a cycle +350 for UIU (Not sure regarding these numbers).
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
This [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area...Stephanie [nurse] is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
This is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area.
She read over all my results at a previous clinic and tailored my ivf cycle to me specifically instead of going with a predetermined protocol. She also made sure we repeated testing that looked off previously but wasn’t addressed. She was realistic but kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
Stephanie is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
She is great. She was very good about tailoring treatment to me/us, and explained fully how with my reserve we would probably only get 1-2 viable blasts and she was right - we have one. She was thorough in our initial consult and did not at all seem inconvenience that we were there for a second opinion prior to starting an ivf cycle and had already gotten a protocol plan from another doctor. She explained why the clinic does freeze all cycles and I left our initial consult feeling very confident in her clinic and feeling comfortable about moving forward. When I’ve seen her since for monitoring & retrieval same thing.
You will see her partners as well for monitoring and even potentially retrieval/transfer, although Dr. Williams was doing retrievals the day I was set for mine and she did come and do mine specifically which was nice. Also the clinic recommends freeze all cycles.
She recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own. Lupron plus hcg trigger. Once my period started I began 2 weeks of birth control for the FET and went on lupron injections. Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
Nothing is covered by insurance. Compared to the large clinic I started with the prices at RMSCVA are better. Our freeze all cycle was $10,500 (we did not do PGS or ICSI). Medications were a few thousand. HSG and blood work about $200, ultrasound $140 or similar. My husband ended up owing $50 for blood work and sperm analysis I think.
Describe Laura Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Ultimately she said it would be up to us but recommended no more than 2. We ended up having 1 so it is a non issue.
Charlottesville
Strengths: [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.... Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Strengths: always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.
Dr. Williams always remembers who I am and what I am struggling with. Even if that means reading a paper before I come in, it makes a difference. He also meets us at our level. I am a nurse and he talks to me like a medical professional including current evidence based research on infertility. But he also breaks it down so my non-medical professional husband can understand.
As a fellow nurse, I can assure you that these ladies are top notch. The office is so busy and they keep things running and sane. They are very skilled at blood draws and are so compassionate. They have given me hugs and tissues more than once. I trust them all with so many aspects of my healthcare.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Williams is incredibly knowledgeable about this field. He makes you feel at ease at such a difficult time in life. He doesn’t rush you out of the office if you have questions. I trust his judgement and truly believe that he wants us to make a successful pregnancy as much as we do.
Book him now.
We had diagnostic testing first. Then exploratory lap for endo. Found mild case of endo and adjusted the game plan. Husband also has low morphology. He was seen by urologist and nothing was wrong. Can’t figure out what is causing the low Morph except possible environmental exposure during a deployment. We tried one round of clomid with my body responding fine but no baby. Then 5 more rounds of IUI with no luck. They would have stopped after 4 but I needed to prove six attempts before insurance would pay for ivf. Egg retrieval went well with no complications. However the transfer was disappointing. We did FET due to choosing PGS. My body didn’t respond to the hormones and my uterine lining didn’t grow. I didn’t feel I was fully educated that this was a possibility and came a large disappointment. We went ahead with a transfer with some education on reduction of success due to thin lining. We met with dr Williams again after the failed cycle. He was very kind and shared of disappointment. However he did not dwell on it and shared the plan for next cycle and sounded very hopeful for us, which we desperately needed at that time. We are trying long term Lupron to suppress my endo (even tho it’s a mild case) and attempting another transfer after the first of the year. Fingers crossed as our insurance coverage won’t cover much more after the next transfer.
As mentioned before, we could never get a straight answer on what we paying for specifically. We have spent almost 17 grand out of pocket including PGS and one transfer. We also have insurance that will cover 15 grand in infertility coverage one time. Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Given our age, dr Williams has always encourage single transfer.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Overall I would rate this clinic [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records!... Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Overall I would rate this clinic a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records! Dr. Smith sat with me for almost an hour and answered my laundry list of questions. I felt at ease and hopeful for the very first time. Additionally, things moved quickly. After more than a decade of vague answers, I walked out of this clinic in less than a year pregnant with twins. Is it any wonder I went back this year to see if my frozen baby would take?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Bateman put in my twins in 2014. When I went back last month to put in my last remaining frozen embryo, he remembered me. With the numerous people he sees on a daily basis, he took time to talk to me before the FET and hold my hand and wish me luck when it was complete. Both FETs he did resulted in pregnancies. I’m currently 16 days with baby three after starting this process in 1999!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix)
Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me. Stephanie was standing right behind him. I knew when I saw her smile from ear to ear that everything was okay. Then they turned around the screen and I saw the two sacs for myself. I was not the only one tearing up. She was also the one to call me the first time with the fresh transfer and break the news that it was not a pregnancy. I would not want that part of her job for all the money in the world. She is a blessing. Finally, at the end of my egg retrieval cycle in 2014, when they kept upping my dose until I was at four vials a day, I ended up running short mere days before the trigger shot. She packed a small bag for me that had the necessary meds so I did not have to pay extra for overnight delivery. (Now they all seem to deliver overnight.)
How was your experience with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
When I started my infertility journey in 1999, things were very different. The current treatment of that archaic time was to cut out a wedge of my ovary to “kickstart” it. With Dr. Bateman everything he recommended was researched-based and progressive. He never recommended fertility drugs like Clomid, I did 14 cycles of that in 2000. He read my medical history and knew I did not need to go back to that stage. When the IUI did not work, he was the one who said IVF with ICSI was needed due to my husband’s inconsistent sperm counts and motility. When the two fresh embryos did not take when a colleague put them in, he recommended assisted hatching. This cycle, four years later, Now includes assisted hatching in its basic costs. Every “setback” was seen by him as another step. He never once made me feel that a baby was not just around the corner. He kept hope even when we were stressed and losing faith. His calm manner was contagious.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Don’t do a fresh transfer, let your body go back to equilibrium.
Describe the protocols Bruce Bateman used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
Skipped Clomid because of my 2000 records. Started with prelim tests to check for causes of infertility. No blockages in tubes, good egg reserve, high thyroid, PCOS, low sperm count and motility. Did IUI because we requested. Did egg retrieval protocol with Gonal F and frequent ovary checks. Egg retrieval followed by fresh transfer. ICSI and 2 fresh 5 day blasts used. Three additional blasts frozen on day five. Unsuccessful Frozen Embryo Transfer using assisted hatching at age 38. Twins. I think same meds last time as this time. Frozen Embryo Transfer age 42. 16 days pregnant. Medications this time were birth control, estrace, lupron, progesterone in oil and progesterone suppositories. And thyroid meds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
My insurance paid for testing until I got a diagnosis. After that, we paid around 500 plus meds for the IUIs. We were approved for the $20k shared risk program, but at the last minute went with the $12k procedure which included egg retrieval, ICSI, and transfer. The following FET cycles cost $2850. Meds for the egg retrieval ran about $3K and about $700 for the transfers. Costs have changed since I first went; for example, assisted hatching is included in the price now. My first FET was $2500 with $650 added for AH. Now everyone pays the $2850. In reality, the only thing that slowed down our journey to parenthood was money. I took us right at a year to save the money for the four months of treatment (2IUIs, 1 fresh ICSI IVF, 1 frozen ICSI, AH, IVF) we ended up doing.
Describe Bruce Bateman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
I was 38 and had been seeking fertility treatments for 14 years. By the time we were recommended to Dr. Bateman, we were serious about having at least one. We were counseled about multiple births and selected 2 for the fresh and 2 more for the frozen. He gave us guidelines, but the final choice within those guidelines was ours.
Charlottesville
This clinic is great. Clean, easy to find, ample parking. I drive several hours to get to this location when there are several other clinics in my area...that should tell you something about Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center! :)... Costs are substantially less than the well known fertility clinics in my area. Specifically about a fifth of the price for IUI and half the cost for IVF than another clinic I went to in the DC metro area, where I also went for a consultation and was not impressed with how I was treated at all.
Dr. Williams and his staff are top notch. They are all very warm and caring, and I really believe that their goal is the same as mine...to take home a live baby at the end of all this! I haven't been successful yet, but am confident in Dr. Williams.
Very friendly and helpful, I call a lot and ask a ton of questions and the staff is always so prompt at returning calls.
Dr. Williams is warm and friendly, listened to our concerns and came up with a plan we were comfortable. He told us there was no reason to jump into the most expensive and invasive option, but would have allowed it if we wanted to go that route right away. He really cares about his patients.
Hurry and make your appointment!
We are unexplained and 35 years old. Dr. Williams has had us do 3 cycles of TI with letrozole 5mg and 1 IUI with letrozole 5mg but we have not yet been successful. I responded well to the medication, but as with unexplained, we have no idea why it didn't work. We started out with the cheapest, least invasive option. Lots of other clinics want to put you right to IUI or IVF, but medications do work for a lot of people-Dr. Williams isnt out to just spend your money, like some bigger clinics are!
No opinion on this at this time.
Charlottesville
The clinic [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
Strengths - Excellent bedside manner. So compassionate. I feel confident in all the physician's care, even though we have not yet had success, they are consistently altering my treatment plan and explaining every detail. The clinic is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
Laura Smith, and the rest of the physicians and clinic staff as well, remember every detail about me. All the way down to what I do for a living. I can tell they take the time to review my history before entering the clinic room. The nurses and other staff always remember my name, I never have to formally check in I just give them a wave.
So compassionate! They ask how you are doing always and really listen. They explain every detail so well and are incredibly helpful. I truly believe they go above and beyond.
From our first visit, she explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
Jumped right in with IUI from the first cycle (I had done clomid a few times already) with letrozole and trigger shots. My husbands sperm analysis showed a few issues. I did this for two cycles and have been unsuccessful so far.
I am so incredibly fortunate to have health insurance coverage for fertility treatments.
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Everyone in the practice [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
There aren't any other options nearby. But that said, the clinic is well-run and the doctors and staff are informed and experienced. It's busy, but it's a small practice, so it doesn't feel like a train station ... staff did come to know my name. The offices and procedure rooms are all comfortable.
Everyone in the practice is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
She was busy and seemed to have a caseload that was too much for one person. But she was also kind and compassionate.
She is straightforward and matter-of-fact. I had confidence in her medical understanding but did not feel any special personal connection. I am not sure I would recognize her on the street, or she me.
Fertility consultations usually come with some emotion, because we are seeking help for something that is not coming "naturally." This practice will definitely answer your medical questions with kindness and politeness, but you want to get your emotional support elsewhere. I collected information from my doctors, and then went home to talk to people close to me to make decisions.
I used donor egg IVF. The hormones are not fun at all, but it was successful.
The decision was mine to make. I felt they gave me all the information I needed to make an informed decision.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
This clinic [RMSC] cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
This clinic cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive. They also require that your previous surgery be paid in full before proceeding on to the next which can be rather inconvenient if your paying towards your bill monthly.
Dr. Smith was very personable and very relatable. She took her time to ensure we understood exactly what our options were and to explain in detail any questions we had. She also told us that it was up to us how aggressive we wanted our treatment to be. She was compassionate and understood what we were going through. She always took the time to encourage us even if we didn't get the results we wants. Dr. Smith was phenomenal and definitely treated myself and my husband as a human.
They always helped and ensured that we had everything we needed. For example, I am hard stick and only one nurse would ever be able to stick me. She made herself available to me every single time to ensure I wouldn't have to travel elsewhere to get blood drawn. They always answered questions and returned phone calls quickly. They were always smiling and ensuring that you had a smile on your face even on the hardest days.
Dr. Smith was a very well rounded doctor. She was compassionate, understanding and very patient. She also always admitted when she was wrong which I loved. Doctor's, just like us are always learning new things especially when it comes to infertility. In a lot of cases we are learning together. For example, upon seeing my husband and I, Dr. Smith asked if I ovulated on my own. I told her no because my OBGYN had run progesterone tests and discovered that I did not. She then asked if my had a period every month to which I replied yes. She then told me that I was in fact ovulating if I was getting a period, that I just must be missing it. After a cycle of running tests and starting my period, at my follow-up visit, she admitted that she had told me wrong and that I had anovulation. To admit when you are wrong shows just how amazing you are both as a person and as a doctor. Dr. Smith was always encouraging and always did her best to uplift us.
Do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand or if you have concerns. Dr. Smith is willing and welcomes all questions. She wants you to understand your treatment and your options.
During my first medicated cycle with Dr. Smith, She prescribed me letrozole (the average dosage) and it didn't work. This was to help me ovulate as she figured out the previous unmedicated cycle that I was experiencing anovulation with a normal AMH. The next cycle she in partner with Dr. Bateman at the same clinic increased my dosage and had me take it for 10 days instead of 5. I ovulated too quickly to do IUI. She recommended IUI because of anovulation and because of the increased dosage of letrozole and because 4 medicated timed intercourse cycles previously resulted in no pregnancy. The third cycle Dr. Smith partnered with Dr. Williams and had me take the same dosage of letrozole just for 7 days instead of 10 and had me trigger with HCG. This time we were able to due IUI with two beautiful follicles however, it failed. During the IUI, after the sperm wash was when my husband was diagnosed with male factor infertility due to low count and motility. We were told if the IUI didn't result in pregnancy that IVF would be our best next option.
My IUI procedure with out monitoring and meds was about $700. Monitoring varied depending on if blood work was ordered but was usually about $150 a visit.
4 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center]) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next...RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch.
4 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch. I feel so lucky to have such a great clinic just miles from my home. Getting in for appointments is typically very easy and seamless. Wait times have never been more than 15 minutes. However, i think it is worth noting that you don't consistently see the same doctor at this clinic. I've had ultrasounds by all three doctors and IUIs by all three. As far as I can tell, it mostly depends on the day and time of your procedure.
I have never felt like a number at RMSCVA. The nurses are extremely approachable and friendly. After a few visits, most of them knew my name! There are 3 doctors at the practice, and depending on appointment time and day you may meet with any of them. At first I was concerned about not meeting with the same doctor each time, but I felt at ease with all 3. Plus, they were all very attentive and remembered where I left off with each visit.
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next
My husband and I were dealing with male infertility primarily and wanted to know and learn absolutely everything we could about our situation. Dr. Bateman was great at explaining things, but doesn't sugarcoat - which we really appreciated. We wanted facts and to know straight up what our various options were. Dr. Bateman doesn't come across as especially warm, but each time I see him he smiles and gives my hand a squeeze. He also has an endearingly dry sense of humor.
Respect and trust his knowledge on the subject. I would often read blog posts of things and think I understood them - but let him explain the entire process and trust him.
Charlottesville
The nurses are awesome at RMSCV. They don't make any question feel dumb and they are so friendly and understanding. They quickly return calls, know answers to questions sometimes before I can even ask! They know what I need and give comfort and knowledge.... I love the calm atmosphere they create in their exam rooms. There are images on the lights so you have something to look at. All the gowns are cloth and so are the sheets - so much better than the crinkly paper ones. In the bathroom they provide feminine products if you need them after a procedure and there's always nice lotions to make you feel "pretty." These little touches help me be more relaxed. The technology is up to date and they let you see all of your images. Building feels "new" and the decor is tasteful. Being connected to the hospital makes having additional testing easy.
Dr Bateman truly cares. He explains everything simply and compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephane )
Dr Bateman is the best! He cares for every patient and really wants to help. He's candid but in a kind and compassionate way. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. On multiple times he returned my calls after business hours to explain things or just to calm my nerves.
Choose Dr Bateman - he will be honest and a support for you as you go down your path.
We elected and we're accepted to the shared risk program. It's $20,000 and includes freezing embryos, all visits, retrieval, etc. This doesn't cover medication. It's a program where you bring home a baby or you get your money back.
We are going to do single embryo transfer because the odds of success are the same just the odds of twins increases.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress...We had an appointment snafu as one of the receptionists didn't understand the nature of the appointment and caused me to delay an appointment. The nurses didn't call me back until hours after I left a message. When I had my laparoscopy they initially billed it has a tubal ligation and my insurance wouldn't pay.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress. We did tell them our complaints and they attempted to straighten things out but it was still terrible to get such different opinions.
Dr. Williams is a very kind doctor. He checks in after hours to see how things are going or to make sure you understand exactly what is going on.
Stephanie is amazing. She is great. Ashley is also really sweet. The other nurses are great too, but these are the ones I met with most.
Dr. Williams worked very hard to try to get us pregnant. Unfortunately it did not work out for us. He did go above and beyond to try to make it happen. Dr. Williams is very compassionate and explains everything in a way that's easy to understand. He truly cares about his patients.
You won't get to see him every time which is unfortunate because he is the best.
The first time I was with dr. Bateman. We did clomid days 5-9 and IUI. I ovulated but no pregnancy. Then we opted to do a laparoscopy because I had questionable fallopian tubes. I had one tube removed due to ectopic pregnancy which was conceived naturally. The next time we did letrozole and monitoring. I only produced one egg and it was on the side with no tube so we canceled. The next time we did gonal f and letrozole and I produced no follicles. We did ivf with the lupron flare protocol. I had only one egg. It didn't fertilize right away so the did rescue ICSI, but the embryo stopped growing on day 5. We did not transfer. The next time we did 150 iu of gonal f for several days along with cetrotide and letrozole. I had 2 follicles but only one egg retrieved. It fertilized and we transferred on day 3. It did not stick. Now we are changing clinics and doing donor egg.
They initially told us the iui would be $300 but it was closer to $500. Apparently they don't tell you all the hidden costs involved. We spent $15,000 on a two ivf cycle package plus about $4500 in medications.
No comments...only one egg retrieved each time.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Strengths they [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Strengths they are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
Dr. Smith is the prime example of detailed oriented and thorough at its best but so incredibly patient, brilliant and skilled with her bedside manners.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrex)
The BEST! So incredibly kind, theyre honest, sooooooo many hugs! Professionally they were on point with exact times, expectations, simplifying instructions and so gentle.
Fertility is stressful but I appreciated Dr. Smiths honesty, professionalism, and so extremely detailed oriented. I never left having questions and always felt confident in our decisions we made together. I have a low ovarian reserve and with her protocol and expertise we beat the odds.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and/or to have them elaborate. Dr. Smith really loves what she does and you can tell by the way she talks to you.
We had an agressive retrieval plan due to my low reserve. We were able to retrieve 3, 2 fertilized and 1 came back pgs normal. We froze and waited 5-6 weeks for my body to heal and be exactly where it needed for transfer. All went extremely smooth and I had an easy pregnancy. They really are amazing at what they do! The odds were against us and they are miracle workers.
We had a 10% military discount and for the retrieval/transfer it was $12000. We paid separately for meds and pgs testings with other companies they recommended. We were very happy with the process and discount
we only had one embryo to transfer so it wasn’t ever approached
Charlottesville
They [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you...This place is a well oiled machine. Somehow they are able to be timely and efficient while still treating everyone thoughtfully and as an individual. Their communication is top-notch and they really work with your financial needs. Beautiful offices, kind people, effective treatments.
He regularly asked us about what was going on in our lives, remembered small details, etc. He once showed me that he has ever single photo sent to him of every baby he helped parents to conceive. I will never forget that.
We were treated like family. They were gentle, compassionate, and kind. They read the room- we’re willing to joke and be chatty when it was right, and could also be just a calm presence when it wasn’t. They were invested and always advocates for us.
Dr. Williams was kind, authentic, and strategic. He was creative in problem solving around any setback and was a relentless advocate for me as a patient. He would regularly contact me himself (rather than a nurse) when I had questions or concerns, and clearly demonstrated himself to be fully invested in our family.
Let him be creative. There are often many ways to treat a condition and/or navigate a challenge. He is thoughtful and relentless- just watch him do his thing, and trust as much as you can.
After 6 months of clomid with my OB I was immediately switched to letrozol and told to do IUI do to the male factor infertility that was diagnosed at our first appointment. I also had a few other tests. After 4 unsuccessful cycles with HCG triggers, we attempted IVF unsuccessfully. We then moved to injectables with IUI and we’re successful after several attempts.
They are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you. I had some insurance coverage, so I don’t remember my specific costs.
Dr. Williams regularly said “our goal is to get you ONE healthy baby.” He is cautious about multiples in terms of embryo transfers and even IUI cycles with multiple follicles, which I appreciated.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center] was around $10,200. Not including medications...You get passed around by the nurses because whoever is available at the time sees you or answers your calls. They did a good job throughout the process. I know they are juggling a lot of patients at a time so sometimes I felt like they may have not understood where I was in the process at times but I don't think that was their fault. It was more related to the amount of patients they see. They also knew my name and I developed a relationship with them during my course of treatment which was nice.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Wait times can be long in the office but that's kinda out of their control. The doctors and nurses are compassionate and they communicate well throughout the process. I wasn't a big fan of their financial person but we only had to deal with her a couple times.
He personally called me a number of times during our IVF cycles. We had to stop our first cycle after I had a bad reaction to cetrotide and he called me and was compassionate. When we started our next cycle and had 1 embryo he called and congratulated me which I thought was really nice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie)
I saw all the doctors at the clinic but Dr Bateman did my egg retrieval and implantation and I fully trusted him. He knew what he was doing and he had an excellent bedside manner. He didn't mess around but you could tell he really cares about his patients.
If you have questions, ask them. Fertility dotors sometimes assume that you know what to expect because they do it everyday. At first I thought I wasn't getting enough information but it was just because I wasn't asking questions. Dr Bateman will spend time answering your questions and making you feel better about the process.
I used gonalF, cetrotide, pregnyl during my first IVF cycle. But I had a bad reaction to the cetrotide and we had to stop the cycle because my estrogen dropped significantly. The next cycle I used the same medications except I did Lupron shots twice a day instead of the cetrotide. That ended up working.
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer was around $10,200. Not including medications.
I only had one embryo to transfer so this wasn't a topic of discussion.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient... The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it... I have no complaints with the scheduling here.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Bateman has a kind and gentle bedside manner. In the very beginning, I wasn't necessarily a fan. I felt he was more "old school" in his bedside manner, more hands off. However, the longer I was in the clinic and the more I interacted with him, the more I realized he was genuinely invested and truly hopeful for me as a person and potential mother. I miscarried 3 times and Dr. Bateman delivered that news to me 2 of the 3 times. He was so compassionate, to the point that I felt he was tearing up telling me the news during my last miscarriage. The clinic is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix and Bonnie)
The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it. There were several times I cried in the office and they were so kind and understanding. They were always waiting with a hug. The clinic is small so no one feels like a number. The nurses were joyful when I was pregnant and sad when I miscarried. I truly felt they were engaged in my care and wanted and hoped for the best.
I would recommend Dr. Bateman over again. He started the fertility clinic in Charlottesville and has years of experience under his belt. He was always very knowledgable and helpful when I asked questions. I also appreciated his understanding in one of our meetings when discussing all types of interventions during IVF (ICSI, assisted hatching). My husband and I were part of the shared risk program and as a result it required us to comply with clinical recommendations. Dr. Bateman and I had a discussion about assisted hatching, pros/cons. I told Dr. Bateman I wanted minimal intervention and he understood my wishes and allowed me to choose that for our second cycle of IVF despite the recommendation to proceed with assisted hatching. I appreciated him listening to my needs and comfort level. I did proceed to get pregnant, but miscarried in the first trimester. In the end our outcome wasn't ideal, but I was appreciative of Dr. Bateman listening to me as a patient and honoring my request.
Be engaged in the process and take ownership and ask lots of questions until you understand the process, especially the medication! It is a lot to take in and keep straight and you deserve to understand everything along the way.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
The monitoring appointments were never an issue for me. They were always very accommodating to meet my needs. I never had a conflict. Any lab work had to be completed by 2pm because of their lab. So I could not come in the afternoon for lab work. However, that wasn't an issue for me but I could see that being a problem for some. Ultrasound appointments they try and schedule first thing at 8am when they open so I could get in and out. If I couldn't come in the morning, they were always able to accommodate me when I could come. I have no complaints with the scheduling here.
Charlottesville
I feel like clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great...We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests...Nurses at the clinic are amazing. They always return phone calls on the same day as long as you call before 4pm. They are great at follow up and getting you scheduled. Very fast and efficient
I feel like clinic is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great
Dr.Bateman is very straight forward and caring doctor. He is honest on what his practice can do and what they can’t. He takes time to explain everything and making sure his patients understand everything. During my visits my husband and I had numerous questions about our test results and recurrent miscarriages. Dr. Bateman patiently explained everything in details.
Dr. Bateman is an honest doctor who tells you everything without sugar coating. I appreciated that he explained in detail our options, risks and course of treatment. Dr.Bateman is always available to answer questions, and very flexible with your schedule.
Be prepared to hear the truth no matter how upsetting it can be and he is not going to sugar coat it.
We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests.
I had to pay $40 specialist copay. Everything else was covered by my insurance
2007 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.... The nursing staff are very kind, however in my most recent IVF attempts it was hard to get hold of them through email. Once Bonnie retired, Stephanie was obviously overwhelmed, but I felt this impacted my care.
2007 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.
He was realistic, down to earth and very sensitive to my needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephanie )
When I was told that I only had two eggs to retrieve, Dr. Bateman was realistic with his expectations but also gave me hope with stories of women who only needed one egg to conceive. His bedside manner and reassurance was very comforting. He held my hand when I was upset and explained everything in detail. He is an older doctor so I think that it is easy to stereotype, but he certainly knows what he is doing.
Ask lots of questions, whatever they may be or how silly they seem.
The 9 IUIs that I tried between 2007-2010 included clomid and injections. These resulted in one chemical pregnancy and one ectopic pregnancy. Unfortunately, the ectopic came after we had our best results with 5 potential eggs.
15,000, but additional 25,000 with IVF after that
We did not get this far.
2008 - 2017
So far our treatment plan [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs...Our current cycle will be $12,000 with ICSI included. However that does not include medications or my husband's TESE procedure or genetic testing....Everyone is extremely friendly, helpful and quick to answer questions. They are like family! You know you've made some friends when you call the receptionist and they know your backstory and your name without even asking it. I feel safe and comforted by this clinic.
2008 - 2017
He was very thoughtful and caring. He responds quickly by email and by phone. He took over an hour to speak to my husband and I by phone so that we would not have to return to the clinic for another appointment. He seems to genuinely care about us and wants what is best, but is open and honest about our chances.
So far our treatment plan has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs.
He made this process so much easier for us by being available whenever we had questions. He never seemed rushed to move on to another appointment and always made us feel like we had his undivided attention.
Be open and communicate all of your questions/fears, etc. He will be open and honest with you.
I am in the process of getting ready for an IVF treatment now, but we will be doing a frozen embryo transfer. In the past he helped with IUI treatments both with Clomid and injections.
We have not gotten to this part of treatment yet.
Charlottesville
I felt like if RMSCVA took the time to do additionally tests and fully review my partner's sperm analysis, we would not have wasted time or funds on IUI....Brittany - my coordinator for IUI -- was excellent!...Small RE in Charlottesville. They do not have a separate waiting room for people who bring children, so please be aware.
I don't feel like Dr. Bateman took the time to diagnose our issues/ review our past medical history. He certainly is an excellent doctor, but it wasn't until after I'd already undergone 2 IUI cycles that we did the testing to determine my AMH (ovarian reserve) is low. That, coupled with my partner's male factor, meant IUIs were likely never going to be effective for us. I felt like if RMSCVA took the time to do additionally tests and fully review my partner's sperm analysis, we would not have wasted time or funds on IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
Brittany - my coordinator for IUI -- was excellent!
Dr. Bateman takes a conservative approach. We had to ask for additional interventions in order to have a more aggressive treatment plan.
I did 2 cycles of Letrozole/Femara combined with IUI. I added a trigger shot. RMSCVA doesn't necessarily do ultrasound monitoring during IUI cycle (they ask you to do OPKs at home). I asked RMSCVA to add two things which they didn't recommend for me: 1) mid-cycle monitoring because I didn't want to waste a cycle by missing ovulation, and 2) a trigger shot in order to better time IUI. First cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy and second cycle was a negative.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I had a great experience with this clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA]. Everyone was always so nice and reassuring. No one judged me or made me uncomfortable.... The nursing staff was very compassionate and well informed. They always answered my questions.... We started by initially running blood work to check for the most common reasons for my infertility. Then we did a test to check for blockage in my Fallopian tubes. We tried several rounds of Clomid to make me ovulate regularly and then a round of Femera because we had no success with Clomid. Femera offered even less of a result so we then tried IUI beginning with injections to produce follicles. We had an IUI after the injections, but that also failed.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I had a great experience with this clinic. Everyone was always so nice and reassuring. No one judged me or made me uncomfortable.
Dr. Smith was always nice and reassuring. She made sure to answer all of my questions and made sure I understood what we were doing. She stayed confident even when I was not.
Dr. Smith is great at what she does. She made sure I always understood what she talked about and always answered my questions. She stayed confident even when I was not. She was quick to make any changes when the results were not going as planned, which made me feel better.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
The costs seemed to be about average. One great thing was that they offer discount programs for IVF.
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
The clinic overall was great. The staff / billing was great. The doctors are wonderful. The nurses are great, too, but I do remember being frustrated a few times.
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
I loved Dr. Williams. I saw him for many years, so we developed a relationship along the way. My husband and I felt that he truly cared for us. He went above and beyond when I was desperate and wanted to try crazy things. We went above and beyond helping talk me through decisions. He even showed up at our state capitol building to speak out against personhood. It was great to have him there fighting with me outside of the clinic. I always felt that he treated me as an individual and was very sympathetic through our many losses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Overall, they did a good job, but there were a few snafus from time to time that don't seem like a big deal now, but were very upsetting to me at the time.
I had no negative experiences at all with Dr. Williams. He was knowledgeable, kind, caring and competent. He went above and beyond with helping me decide things. Most doctors would have given you the facts and then said it's up to you, but he talked the whole situation through with me on more than a medical level. He also joined me in our state's capitol to help fight negative IVF legislation, so I was thrilled to see him outside of the clinic. He was extremely compassionate towards our situation and when we miscarried.
Nothing, really. You are in good hands.
He tailored it to me each time. I was always successful in producing many eggs, and subsequently many high quality embryos.
Charlottesville
They [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] are open 363 days a year for cycling patients. Huge perk being open all the time. Located in Charlottesville - kind of far from us but we make it work to the best of our ability. We like it enough to drive two hours one way per visit so that should speak volumes.... They [nursing staff] are nice and competent and were really patient with my wife who is a big ninny when it comes to getting her blood drawn.
They are open 363 days a year for cycling patients. Huge perk being open all the time. Located in Charlottesville - kind of far from us but we make it work to the best of our ability. We like it enough to drive two hours one way per visit so that should speak volumes.
He was nice.
They are nice and competent and were really patient with my wife who is a big ninny when it comes to getting her blood drawn.
He was very warm and took the time to answer all of questions. He also explained treatments and next further steps. He came highly recommended from a friend and they also regarded him very highly. We had multiple visits and are still undergoing treatment.
Make an appointment - hes a good doctor.
After trying for over a year we went to Dr. Williams with unexplained infertility. We did 4 months of 5 mg letrozol. One was an IUI. Nothing has worked so far and are still going back for more treatment.
IUI is $500. Much cheaper than the clinics in NoVA... we are probably 5X more expensive.
He didn't talk to us about it.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I like this clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] a lot. The only complaint which is a minor one is you must specify that you want to be seen in the Winchester office otherwise they schedule you for the Charlottesville office.... When I changed from my previous doctor to this clinic, I asked about my chart and what I needed to do to have it available for my appointment. I was told they would get it, the nurse fortunately recognized this and called to ask me if she could go and get my chart on my behalf out of the archive files. So, again, the staff are very helpful.
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I have no real complaints. I like this clinic a lot. The only complaint which is a minor one is you must specify that you want to be seen in the Winchester office otherwise they schedule you for the Charlottesville office.
He is very knowledgeable and takes time to explain everything and ensures you understand prior to proceeding.
Everyone in the office is kind and helpful and very supportive. They answer all of my questions. They call you back if you call them.
I’m very happy being a patient of Dr Williams. I believe he is extremely knowledgeable and can truly help my husband and I to conceive. He makes me feel comfortable and at ease about the treatment plan.
Just listen to what he advises you to do.
Dr Williams discovered a few discrepancies from my treatment with previous doctors and suggested medication to boost my progesterone levels, which I never had previously been notified I had low progesterone.
My insurance is good about covering most testing but not treatment costs
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The office [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] is quiet, and private. It has a cozy feel. The only downside is it can be hard to find as its located in an area with several outpatient offices and buildings. However, there is amble parking due to its location....Thus far I've seen a couple different nurses in office. They are compassionate and caring, easy to reach via phone whenever questions arose....Before continuing treatment, I will see another physician in the practice to have surgery for endometriosis.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The office is quiet, and private. It has a cozy feel. The only downside is it can be hard to find as its located in an area with several outpatient offices and buildings. However, there is amble parking due to its location.
Dr Bateman is a pleasure to work with, showing a genuine concern for our desire to have a family.
The only downside is he no longer performs endometriosis surgery, therefore I need to see another physician in the office. But I feel quite confident I'm receiving the best care. Whenever I've seen him, he makes sure I know what action we're taking and the next steps. He's very thorough and takes the time to explain everything.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no wrong questions, and he takes the time to walk you through the process.
I'm currently seeing Dr Bateman. He has adjusted, increased my clomid dose, and we are planning to utilize IUI soon. Before continuing treatment, I will see another physician in the practice to have surgery for endometriosis.
Charlottesville
I have no complaints [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA]. They are wonderful and respectful of feelings and personal information. I like that I see the same Dr. every time. I have anxiety with Dr.'s and being able to have the same one each time helps me cope a lot better...Everyone was very kind, courteous and professional....Dr. Williams always speaks plainly, gently and used his own experiences to show empathy. I feel like our best interest is what he wants as well.
I have no complaints. They are wonderful and respectful of feelings and personal information. I like that I see the same Dr. every time. I have anxiety with Dr.'s and being able to have the same one each time helps me cope a lot better.
Everyone was very kind, courteous and professional.
I feel I have done that with previous answers. Kind, compassionate, good listener. I have no complaints. I had 3 very intrusive fibroids removed and Dr. Williams did the surgery. He was very clear with expectations for after surgery as well as possible complications.
No advice. He's wonderful.
Had a lot of blood tests to rule out genetic issues,etc. After ultrasounds showing fibroids and the pain they presented it was decided to have them removed in the hopes of making conception faster and keeping a pregnancy. With the intent to call him in a couple months to update him and discuss medication use.
Can't remember
Charlottesville
The clinic [RMSC] is extremely warm and inviting. They make you feel comfortable during a time that is stressful and emotional. Everyone there is so sweet and understanding. Compassion is key for them!...The nurses at the clinic were very thorough and took the time to explain how to do each injection and even when to do it. We had issues with my insurance covering the medications and they worked with me in order to get it covered...Answered all concerns and questions promptly and would return calls the same day!
The clinic is extremely warm and inviting. They make you feel comfortable during a time that is stressful and emotional. Everyone there is so sweet and understanding. Compassion is key for them!
She, the other doctors and the nurses took the time to explain things in detail. Answered all concerns and questions promptly and would return calls the same day!
Dr. Smith was patient and took the time to explain things in detail and cover any questions I had. She made sure I understood what each step consisted of and what the next step was. I never left her office confused or with questions. She was very compassionate with my husband and I taking time to reassure us and explain things in language we understood.
Be prepared for a lot of information. Bring a notebook!
I took a round of several injections and did one trigger shot right before the retrieval.
We paid around $18,000 for everything except medication
Charlottesville
Clinic [Reprod Med & Surg Ctr of VA] has three doctors so if you want timely appointments you may not see the same doctor each visit. We have seen all three and all have been excellent. The clinic is very clean and comfortable but small enough that you don’t feel like you are just a number... The nurses were very kind and compassionate... $865 IUI procedure plus tests and visits leading up to visit $400 HSG test $319 lab work
Clinic has three doctors so if you want timely appointments you may not see the same doctor each visit. We have seen all three and all have been excellent. The clinic is very clean and comfortable but small enough that you don’t feel like you are just a number
He was very attentive and available to answer questions
The nurses were very kind and compassionate
He was very open to answering questions and discussing procedure and medications in detail. He was realistic about the possible outcome of procedure. We were able to get appointments in a reasonable amount of time. He was very thorough while remaining compassionate. We look forward to continuing to work with Dr. Bateman.
Come prepared with your questions
Clomid cycle day 5-9 and IUI
Charlottesville
Our clinic [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] is good they work well at scheduling appointments and following up with patients. They work hard to make sure that their staff available to help at all times of the day and all days of the week... Monica is the best nurse ever. She is kind caring and compassionate... Call ahead Early to schedule an appointment.... Dr. Williams is one of the best doctors I've worked with and I greatly trust his opinion
Our clinic is good they work well at scheduling appointments and following up with patients. They work hard to make sure that their staff available to help at all times of the day and all days of the week
He is a kind, caring man. He always listens and is very supportive
Monica is the best nurse ever. She is kind caring and compassionate
He is very kind a caring. He fully explains everything you need to know about the procedure and likelihood of conceiving. The only negative is it he is very popular and is often very busy and hard to schedule appointments with. Dr. Williams is one of the best doctors I've worked with and I greatly trust his opinion
Call ahead Early to schedule an appointment.
I started with 50 mg of Clomid then hundred milligrams then 150 mg. Next we are the trigger shot. And up my Clomid to 200 mg.
Charlottesville
They [Repro Med Surgery Ctr] are very educated in what they do but often you don't get a choice in doctors. This makes you feel like a number at times. They have always cared for mine and my husbands concerns and supported us in the journey.... Once a nurse did not schedule our appointment like she should but it was only one slip up... The costs have been very reasonable.... Monica has s the sweetest nurse on the planet. They all take time to call back for follow up questions after hours.
They are very educated in what they do but often you don't get a choice in doctors. This makes you feel like a number at times. They have always cared for mine and my husbands concerns and supported us in the journey.
He really cares for his patients even if he is very blunt to the point.
He is like a friendly grandpa rooting for you. He has many years of experience. He can be very facts first which can be offputting at times but he is also sentimental and daring. He has been there to whip away my tears and hold my hand. Even though we have had no success yet we are very hopeful!
Be prepared to get a lot of information that you may not understand
Started right away with clomid 50mg, then 100mg, then 150 mg, then 200 mg with trigger shot
The costs have been very reasonable.
2013
None, Unexplained
2013
None, Unexplained
Dr. Williams and the entire team at RMSCVA knew me by name and face and treated me like I was the only patient that mattered. I was never rushed through appointments and never made to feel like my thoughts, opinions or ideas were stupid. When there were issues or questions regarding my treatment plan, Dr. Williams called me personally and spend 30 minutes on the phone discussing my options calmly and patiently. I cannot say enough positive things about my experience.
If I cried, they cried with me. If I laughed, they laughed with me. When it was time to be discharged to my regular OB they hugged me like they were saying goodbye to a family member.
Sensitive, kind, soothing, humorous if the situation called for it.
Be honest with how you're feeling and don't hesitate for a moment to ask a question if you think it's important.
Charlottesville
They [the nursing staff] responded to messages appropriately, answered the questions, and showed compassion with setbacks.
I felt like he just went through a checklist on his way to IVF and learned nothing about me personally (besides bloodwork).
They responded to messages appropriately, answered the questions, and showed compassion with setbacks.
No questions were asked that I didn't offer and no suggestions were made besides everything I could look up on Google. He just went through bloodwork, HSG, drugs, sperm sample. Nothing felt specific to me. He would come in and say he read the chart and knows all about everything each visit. I had to call back every month to ask the nurse what the next step was.
Do your own research and bring lots of questions because extra information will not be offered to you.
Charlottesville
The nurses [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] were all very compassionate, even while I went there as a satellite patient. They really take time to help [you] understand the medications and how the injections work.
Investor
The Dr's and Nurses are some of the kindest I have come across.
The nurses were all very compassionate, even while I went there as a satellite patient. They really take time to help u understand the medications and how the injections work.
Dr Bateman is very dry. He doesn't elaborate on much. I did trust his experience. They take a very conservative approach so I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is higher risk.
Make sure to ask what their protocol is and why they only use the same one for different cycles.