Genetic counseling: Offered
866-540-5190
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601
1-540-662-6092
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia to a friend?

The clinic [RMSC] is clean, the front desk staff are friendly and helpful. One of the best things to me is that they have a lab for SA and procedure rooms all on the same floor, which is convenient. They also have an online portal where you can do the majority of first day paperwork digitally instead of having to do it all during your first appointment... The nursing staff are all kind, compassionate, and informative. They don't treat you like they're in a hurry, they take their time with you.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
The clinic is clean, the front desk staff are friendly and helpful. One of the best things to me is that they have a lab for SA and procedure rooms all on the same floor, which is convenient. They also have an online portal where you can do the majority of first day paperwork digitally instead of having to do it all during your first appointment .
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
He takes the time to explain things in detail. I never feel nervous about asking questions.
The nursing staff are all kind, compassionate, and informative. They don't treat you like they're in a hurry, they take their time with you. They also want to make sure you fully understand the course of treatment. They're also supportive when you come back in after another failed cycle. The downside is that sometimes they're is a bit of a wait for a call back for various results or answers to questions, but that is understandable.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
How was your experience with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Williams is kind and informative. He is blunt, but in a compassionate way. He also makes you feel comfortable and wants you to ask questions. He's explained more to me than other doctors have. He explained risks that i might have due to being a cancer survivor, kindly explained each course of treatment, and was quick to share lab information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Do not be afraid to ask all of your questions. He is very knowledgeable and wants you to be informed.
Describe the protocols Christopher Williams used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
I informed him on my first visit that i was a cancer survivor and also chlomid resistant. He actually listened to me. He started with a check of my ovaries to make sure i had eggs and that there was no damage to my ovaries. Something no other doctor has done in my 25 years of remission. He started me on 7.5 mg of letrozole on days 5-9 to start. The next cycle it was 7.5 again, plus trigger shot. The next cycle was 7.5 again, but I ovulated before the trigger shot. That cycle failed as well. On my current cycle he stated he is getting more aggressive. I will now do 7.5 on letrozole days 3-12, 5 mg of prednisone, and trigger shot.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
I have no fertility coverage through my insurance. For an ultrasound and bloodwork it is around $300 every time i go. Plus the cost of meds. On my income, that is pretty difficult to handle since I go sometimes twice a month for these things.
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Christopher Williams at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] has a welcoming atmosphere. The building was easy to find and navigate. The clinic is in Charlottesville, but thankfully not in the heart of town making traffic less daunting. There is ample parking for everyone visiting the building....The nursing staff has always been helpful and insightful. The staff has always provided quick and timely answers to all of our questions....The staff has always been transparent about cost.
The clinic has a welcoming atmosphere. The building was easy to find and navigate. The clinic is in Charlottesville, but thankfully not in the heart of town making traffic less daunting. There is ample parking for everyone visiting the building.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Laura Smith was honest about our chances of pregnancy. Dr. Smith was caring and sympathetic to our journey. She had continued to be open to answering all questions we have as well as being transparent in her answers. We are so thankful that Dr. Smith has been so helpful. She even made sure we were referred for appropriate care with other necessary providers to find answers to our fertility questions. We may not have gotten pregnant yet, but we plan to continue to see Dr. Smith for the remainder of our journey.
How was your experience with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Smith is honest, caring, and efficient! She has always been honest with us and willing to answer all questions. Dr. Smith has stayed with us longer than expected to answer more questions as well as discuss future options.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Take notes! So many topics are covered during appointments and information can be forgotten. Dr. Smith is very informative and knowledgeable.
Describe the protocols Laura Smith used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
We have done 2 rounds of IUI due to my husband's low motility. During this time we have taking Letrozole each round to increase ovulation on my end to potentially increase our chances of a successful pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
As of today, our cost has been 730 per IUI cycle. That cost includes the IUI as well as the follow up appointments for ultrasounds. Our insurance will not cover any procedures until our deductible has been met. The staff has always been transparent about cost.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Unexplained
The staff [RMSC] is so friendly! Appointments are always on time, I believe we've waited one appointment out of all of them, for more than 15 mins for the dr but it was a weekend also. Speaking of weekends, when we heard they do things weekends and after hours based on your treatment it seriously made us feel like wow they really will do anything to accommodate you.... I don't think I've ever waited more than an hour or two to hear back if I've left a message on their answering services. The are exceptional at keeping the communication open!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Unexplained
The staff is so friendly! Appointments are always on time, I believe we've waited one appointment out of all of them, for more than 15 mins for the dr but it was a weekend also. Speaking of weekends, when we heard they do things weekends and after hours based on your treatment it seriously made us feel like wow they really will do anything to accommodate you. Be prepared to spend money. Our insurance doesn't cover the treatments so it's been very expensive but the staff and doctors have made it very easy to not focus on that part.
Dr Williams always comes in the appointment and the very first thing I notice from him is how truly compassionate and sincere he is about the failures of the treatment so far. It's amazing how he doesn't even go into the "dr" mode immediately it's the mode of human to Human I care about how you are feeling. He's always been extremely up front of very educational on the treatment plan each time!
Having to take all the medication and injections it's a lot of questions sometimes. I don't think I've ever waited more than an hour or two to hear back if I've left a message on their answering services. The are exceptional at keeping the communication open! They are all great! Feel like we've know them all for years and it's only been 9 months since we started.
Coming to the clinic for the very first time after suffering two miscarriages my husband and i were already in a defeated mode if you will. But very soon after seeing Dr. Williams the first time i remember just sitting in his office and going over what felt like every little detail, and as sad and upsetting it was it also felt very needed for what was going to be our best treatment plan. I can't explain it but i felt more upset and frustrated before coming to the clinic. I walked out of the first appointment with a lot of hope and for the first time since having my second miscarriage I didn't feel as sad anymore.
Listen to their plans. It seems like a lot of stuff that you have to do to even begin, but it's all worth it to figure out what you need from them!
Once all the pre- testings were over. We started out with oral medications to stimulate ovulation. The reasoning behind this was before we started the clinic I was not having a cycle on my own which means i wasn't ovulating. So it only made sense to start with letrezole. We had tried clomid at our previous obgyn and it didn't work. So we tried the letrezole and realized from an ultrasound it wasn't enough. So the next plan was to continue the oral mediation and then add a trigger injection and do IUI. We've did that three times now with no success yet. But from blood work done we do know the medication is working. So we are trying iui one more time.
Oral medication-10 Trigger injection-200 Ultrasounds-100 IUI-600
Describe Christopher Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Charlottesville

The front staff [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is very friendly and do a great job of working with your work schedule as far as scheduling your appointments. The clinic nurses were nice, but some days they appeared rushed. One of the IVF corrdinators was very friendly and always willing to asnwer any questions I had. The other IVF coordinator had a tendency to act as if I was bothering her with questions or concerns.
The front staff is very friendly and do a great job of working with your work schedule as far as scheduling your appointments. The clinic nurses were nice, but some days they appeared rushed. One of the IVF corrdinators was very friendly and always willing to asnwer any questions I had. The other IVF coordinator had a tendency to act as if I was bothering her with questions or concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Bateman always made it a point to ask me how my husband and I were feeling emotionally. He never treated us like just another number or another couple. He individualized his care to make us feel like we were the only couple he was caring for.
The nursing staff was mostly friendly, some more than others. I was given the work phone number for one of the nurses (which she told me to use if I ever had any questions or concerns while cycling) and she always acted like I was bothering her. It made me apprehensive to reach out.
How was your experience with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Bateman was always realistic with my husband and I. He never made any promises he couldn’t keep. When I had bleeding early in my pregnancy he had me come to the office right away to make sure the baby and I were both ok. He even called me a few days later to check on me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
If you ever have any questions along the way, ask them. Dr. Bateman will never get mad or annoyed for asking too many questions. He wants you to feel involved in your own care.
Describe the protocols Bruce Bateman used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
Clomid- no negative results, but no pregnancy. Gonal F- no negative results, pregnancy Lupron- no negative results, pregnancy Estradiol- no negative results, pregnancy HCG- no negative results, pregnancy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
For fertility medications, egg retrieval, genetic testing, and embryo transfer we paid at least $26,000.
Describe Bruce Bateman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Dr. Bateman advise my husband and I that because our infertility was due to a sperm based issue we should only implant one embryo at a time.
Charlottesville

I believe RMSCVA's strengths are an excellent staff (doctors, nurses, and clerical). Everyone seems to be on the same team and works well together. They are all kind and treat patients with respect and care, especially given the emotional state most patients are in. To date, I have only had positive experiences in this clinic and do not believe that they have any weaknesses...They [nurses] are caring and go out of their way to answer your questions thoroughly, despite their busy days. I have made many phone calls to ask questions and have received prompt return calls and have never been made to feel badly for calling. They are always willing to listen and reassure you.
Dr. Smith has wonderful bedside manner and always generated conversation during appointments. She also took time to answer any questions I had.
The nurses at RMSCVA are absolutely wonderful. They are caring and go out of their way to answer your questions thoroughly, despite their busy days. I have made many phone calls to ask questions and have received prompt return calls and have never been made to feel badly for calling. They are always willing to listen and reassure you.
Dr. Smith did my initial consultation and I felt she was very thorough in everything she talked to me about. She stopped very frequently to ask if I had questions and to reassure me. I have seen her several times in the duration of my treatments and she has always treated me very well, shown great patience and knowledge of my particular situation. She seems to determine our next steps by carefully analyzing where we have already been and what could be deterring us.
You will find a trustworthy and knowledgeable doctor and you will feel cared for and respected under her care.
Dr. Smith tried to utilize my summer off last year (I'm a teacher) to run through all of the initial fertility testing. She also prescribed me clomid both with and without IUIs early last fall. We also did a prescription of Letrazole with Follistim injections and an IUI last November. The rationale behind these procedures was a progressive approach to getting pregnant through the least aggressive means. Each time we were unsuccessful, she encouraged us to keep trying and change what we were doing somewhat. Unfortunately, none of these procedures resulted in pregnancy.
At first, my treatments were not at all covered by insurance, so once I started doing IUIs and injectible medications, the cost went up drastically. Visits and ultrasounds were somewhere between $100-200. I believe an IUI is around $400. Medications are anywhere from $500-2500.
Describe Laura Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Based on information I have been given alone (I have not yet gone through this), I believe that Dr. Smith and all of the other doctors at her clinic use single embryo transfer approach in hopes of reducing the health risks to mother and baby.
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Laura Smith at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

The clinic [RMSC] is FANTASTIC! They are so well rounded and the people are so great. Make sure to stay on top of your insurance and if they cover and what you may owe so you arent surprised with major bills. Other than that please see this clinic and let them help on your journey!... They are the best and anytime I called and was worried or didnt understand or had questions they were always there even if they had to call you back. They are so compassionate and loving! They really make you feel like you are part of a family not a doctors office.
The clinic is FANTASTIC! They are so well rounded and the people are so great. Make sure to stay on top of your insurance and if they cover and what you may owe so you arent surprised with major bills. Other than that please see this clinic and let them help on your journey!
Dr.Williams is so great and he is there to make your dreams a reality. He looks into every situation and works with you in all things that you are trying to do. An amazing doctor for sure!
AMAZING! They are the best and anytime I called and was worried or didnt understand or had questions they were always there even if they had to call you back. They are so compassionate and loving! They really make you feel like you are part of a family not a doctors office.
Dr.Williams does everything in his power to make your dream a reality. If you have a set back he is right there with you and helps you every step of the way and ensures you that we still have many options and things ahead and that we will indeed get there.
Listen and follow everything Dr.Williams says. He has done this so long and helped so many people he surely knows everything to help you get to where you need to be.
I have PCOS, therefore my FSH (follicle stimulating horomone) is not strong enough to make my eggs grow to the size they need to be without help from medications therefore we tried clomid no luck, femara no luck, went to Gonal F up to the highest does and overstimulated so then we knew where our dosage was. Treated again ovulated but a negative pregnancy test.
Most insurance like mine do not cover any fertility items. Therefore everything was out of pocket. Medications alone are so expensive. We are just currently finishing Gonal injections with normal ovulation and intercourse. Last year alone we have put about $6000 into these treatments and we are not even to IUI or IVF yet. So please be prepared for the cost and process of cost.
Charlottesville

Everyone in the office [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] is wonderful. From the front desk to billing to nurses to IVF nurses.... Their on call is very responsive. Their waiting room is very relaxing. I was in to my appointments on time 98% of the time. Their packets for IVF are detailed in explaining pricing and packages. We travel over an hour to get to this office and for anyone looking for the right clinic, this really was a great fit for us.
Their on call is very responsive. Their waiting room is very relaxing. I was in to my appointments on time 98% of the time. Their packets for IVF are detailed in explaining pricing and packages. We travel over an hour to get to this office and for anyone looking for the right clinic, this really was a great fit for us. We did go to another clinic in northern VA prior to coming here but felt as if we were a number and the distance was also a factor so we chose Charlottesville and have not regretted it.
When we sat in his office to cover what the IVF process is going to look like he was patient. We didn’t feel like we were being rushed in and out of his office. He took the time to help us understand the questions we asked and we appreciated his blunt yet explainable manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
Everyone in the office is wonderful. From the front desk to billing to nurses to IVF nurses. Stephanie has such an uplifting personality and great bedside manner.
I explained this mostly in the previous question however we really did appreciate having him as a doctor. He explained everything to us every step of the way and again did not get frustrated but he understood when we had questions and helped us understand. I honestly don’t feel that we’ve had any negative experiences with him.
He’s very knowledgeable and detailed when helping you understand your fertility process.
We originally had another doctor at clinic but have had Dr Williams the last several times. We are on our first IVF process so I don’t have too much feedback here since we’ve just begun.
So far we’ve seen the cost to be comparable to others in Virginia. Virginia does not carry IVF health insurance so we will be paying the full bill. Charlottesville has given us their lending company that they have researched and we will be using.
My husband and I are still considering doing multiple and did bring this up with Dr Williams. He explained his preference with doing a single transfer and why he prefers single from the risk of doing two. While we understand his explanation of risk, all of those things are possibilities when someone gets naturally pregnant with twins. Dr Williams is of course leaving the decision up to us and was still very positive with us.

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Great practice [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Ctr of VA], only downfall is our insurance doesn’t provide treatment coverage so we are required to pay up front in full at each visit. However I understand this is not their fault but I wish they offered financing options or payment plans.... [Nursing staff was] Very kind and considerate of the fact that we had traveled a distance to come to the appointment. They were great with our blood draws as well....About $300 for initial visit.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Great practice, only downfall is our insurance doesn’t provide treatment coverage so we are required to pay up front in full at each visit. However I understand this is not their fault but I wish they offered financing options or payment plans.
He was very kind, and professional. I had never seen a doctor while on my monthly cycle and was very nervous, but they treated me better than any provider I have seen.
He was very well educated and talked to us on a level we could understand. Dr. Williams didn’t rush through the appointment, but rather took time to even discuss other factors of our lifestyles that might help us to work on.
Definitely choose this doctor, even though we haven’t successfully conceived yet, I fully trust he is doing the best to help us through this process.
I had an ultrasound during the initial visit to check me so he could have a better understanding of my needs. He also had my husband do a semen analysis to check to see if he was also a factor in our inability to conceive after my previous provider had done numerous IUI’s on us. Come to find out Dr. Williams discovered my husband not only had low sperm count but also low testosterone. They were able to refer him to see a urologist who is now treating my husband in hopes to raise those numbers, before we proceed to another IUI attempt.
About $300 for initial visit.

2013 - 2019
You are literally guided through the whole process and reassured along the way. While I understand not everyone receives the best results, you can assure this clinic [RMSC] is 100% equipped and informed to address the most complicated of cases.... Stephanie was phenomenal. She as well understands the struggle of infertility and shared in our highs (mostly highs with UVA) and lows when coming to the facility. She relayed the results to us over phone calls
2013 - 2019
You are literally guided through the whole process and reassured along the way. While I understand not everyone receives the best results, you can assure this clinic is 100% equipped and informed to address the most complicated of cases.
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He understands the physical and mental burden of infertility. I could confide in him for medical and emotional support whenever needed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix)
Stephanie was phenomenal. She as well understands the struggle of infertility and shared in our highs (mostly highs with UVA) and lows when coming to the facility. She relayed the results to us over phone calls and visits and even provided personal contact info where she could be reached at all times of the day knowing what we were going through.
Never knowing what to expect and never anticipating we would be in that situation, I never felt alone. Which is ironic considering infertility makes one feel quite isolated. No one in either of our families has infertility issues. Our infertility was always unexplained which added to the frustration. Dr. Bateman's clinic is a top notch facility. Knowing what we've tried and how long we've been trying prior to IVF, our doctors and nurses came up with a plan and stuck to it. We understand we are blessed and could not be more thankful for our miracles. Dr. Bateman is by far the most compassionate doctor we have ever met and is such a great mentor for such a sensitive subject.
Listen to your doctor.
As the spouse I was my wife's nurse through the treatment. Going back to 2013 there was several medical procedures conducted to ensure she was healthy for egg retrieval and pregnancy. During the egg retrieval she was closely monitored for "overstimulation." Once the correct day was targeted, we were called in for retrieval. The eggs were fertilized and at day 3 were not ideal for transfer so we opted for 5 days. On our first transfer, 2 embryos were used, one of which took resulting in a single birth. The following times, with vitrified embryos, single embryos were used each resulting in single births. We plan to discuss options of remaining embryos in the months to come.
$20,000 shared risk program + $5,000 medications
I felt they were rationale and we adhered to the doctor and nurse's recommendation to avoid multiple births.
Charlottesville

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Bruce Bateman at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
A single fresh IVF cycle [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is 8600...IVF freeze all cycle is 13,000...Frozen embryo cycle is 3,000...And they also offer a IVF refund program that involves getting money back for a failed cycle...No medications are included in these prices but they do include the anesthesia and so forth for the procedure...The clinic has great parking and even a fitness area in the main lobby. They have their own lab so as soon as your spouse drops off the semen for the analysis it only take 45 minutes for that to be prepared for the IUI . There is a great view off a balcony which I would go to sit when I had a bad visit or was worried about what would happen next.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
He used layman terms and he makes sure to ask if I’m okay and how I feel about my treatment. He also allows me to ask about different options I have and provides me with very detailed information. Him and his staff are always so nice and they treat you like you’re family and they are rooting for you every time you have a procedure or injection!
The nursing staff were very welcoming and they showed a lot of compassionate and when we had a failed cycle of IUI or letrezole alone, they were just as down as we were which makes you feel like you are not alone. The nurses can always be reached if an emergency occurs or you need an appointment first thing the next morning. They are also great with emailing and returning phone calls.
Dr. Williams is a well known in the region and has been recognized with numerous awards which lets you know he’s great at what he does. He is very informative but always shows compassion and is very understanding of our frustration with infertility. He maintains dignity and walks me through every step when I am having a procedure or scan done.
Come with a lot of questions and stay off of the internet because sometimes the internet can discourage and it’s no need because Doctor Williams will answer every question entirely to assure you feel comfortable with every procedure or injection.
We went through two IUI cycles and with the second cycle I was injected two days before the IUI took place. Before coming to doctor Williams I had a hysteroscopy done to make sure I did not have endometriosis or fibroids or any big cysts. Every visit I have a transvaginal scan done to measure each ovary and see how many possible follicles I have. I am suppose to go every 5th day of my cycle to make sure I can begin taking my letrozole.
A single fresh IVF cycle is 8600 IVF freeze all cycle is 13,000 Frozen embryo cycle is 3,000 And they also offer a IVF refund program that involves getting money back for a failed cycle No medications are included in these prices but they do include the anesthesia and so forth for the procedure
They have a very detailed page on all of the services they offer along with prices which include the embryo transfer, freezing of embryos, IUI, IVF and so forth.
Charlottesville

Cash pay IUI was $395 [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] then I had to pay $89 for an ultrasound visit following my cycle...Make sure you validate EXACTLY what your insurance will and will not cover before starting treatment...They [nurses] were the best. Caring and kind, no matter who you were with. Very professional and efficient. They answered all my questions and if I ever had to call, were prompt to return my calls
Make sure you validate EXACTLY what your insurance will and will not cover before starting treatment. Anytime you are there for a visit, do not feel shy about asking why you’re being charged or have them explain the bill.
Dr. Bateman is such a kind man with a good sense of humor. This is an emotionally taxing experience and he takes it all in stride while explaining the options available to you.
They were the best. Caring and kind, no matter who you were with. Very professional and efficient. They answered all my questions and if I ever had to call, were prompt to return my calls
He is so very kind. He will continue to explain the procedures and talk through all of your options. I never once felt like I was being forced to make a certain decision. He was supportive of us along the way. We appreciated his candor and sense of humor.
Don’t be afraid to ask him any questions, especially if you are uncomfortable. He is very open and honest and never laughs at any questions.
Due to the fact that the majority of my family has not had any problems getting pregnant, Dr. Bateman started us off, after an HSG test shows my ovaries weren’t blocked, with letrozole medicine and timed intercourse. He adjust the dosage of my hypothyroidism medication as well. After 3 cycles of just letrozole and timed intercourse, we decided to progress to IUI’s. Toward the last IUI, my husband was referred to a male fertility specialist. His testosterone was found to be low and he was put on medication. We decided to stop treatment at that time due to the fact that we can’t afford IVF which is the next procedure we wanted to pursue.
Cash pay IUI was $395 then I had to pay $89 for an ultrasound visit following my cycle. Before we did our first IUI, our diagnostic tests were covered by insurance.
Charlottesville

The whole Staff [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] is so nice and understandable... It is a clinic that I know most of the other when I know going through fertility, go to. It is very welcoming and everyone is friendly and helps with any questions you would need. The location is great and right off the interstate. It is worth the 1:40 min or so for the service you get.... Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere
She made you feel Comfortable. She gave you all the details and broke Down everything down. She had solutions and had steps for us to take to get there.
The whole Staff is so nice and understandable
Dr. Smith is amazing. She listens to You and understands that you are trying to get somewhere with trying to have a baby. She is very through and makes sure you understand everything that is said. She is very cheerful and really enjoys what she does. My experience as a patient has been awesome!!! I know my future encounters with her will be just as wonderful.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions in anything you may not understand.
I have not had any cycles done with Laura smith. I have had a lot of blood work taken to check amh, thyroid and amongst other things. I had also had a HSG which my tubes are perfectly clear. I took The varicella vaccine twice and I am Immune to it. Whenever I am able to, I can start treatment, but it looks like it will be a while. Iui with objectibles or IVF would need to happen ( that’s if I can lose Enough weight for IVF :( )
$787.00 - consultation and blood work $695.00. HSG $140.00 follow up visit w results $1,763.00 lab work bill from The hospital that was separate from Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Charlottesville

Strengths: [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.... Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Strengths: always answer and return calls. Weakness: not everyone who answers is sympathetic to women facing infertility. In terms of finances and overall stress. The insurance coordinator is usually rude. We have two different insurances and the one never seems to get billed. It’s difficult to get clear answers on exactly what I’m paying for with each visit.
Dr. Williams always remembers who I am and what I am struggling with. Even if that means reading a paper before I come in, it makes a difference. He also meets us at our level. I am a nurse and he talks to me like a medical professional including current evidence based research on infertility. But he also breaks it down so my non-medical professional husband can understand.
As a fellow nurse, I can assure you that these ladies are top notch. The office is so busy and they keep things running and sane. They are very skilled at blood draws and are so compassionate. They have given me hugs and tissues more than once. I trust them all with so many aspects of my healthcare.
Dr. Williams is incredibly knowledgeable about this field. He makes you feel at ease at such a difficult time in life. He doesn’t rush you out of the office if you have questions. I trust his judgement and truly believe that he wants us to make a successful pregnancy as much as we do.
Book him now.
We had diagnostic testing first. Then exploratory lap for endo. Found mild case of endo and adjusted the game plan. Husband also has low morphology. He was seen by urologist and nothing was wrong. Can’t figure out what is causing the low Morph except possible environmental exposure during a deployment. We tried one round of clomid with my body responding fine but no baby. Then 5 more rounds of IUI with no luck. They would have stopped after 4 but I needed to prove six attempts before insurance would pay for ivf. Egg retrieval went well with no complications. However the transfer was disappointing. We did FET due to choosing PGS. My body didn’t respond to the hormones and my uterine lining didn’t grow. I didn’t feel I was fully educated that this was a possibility and came a large disappointment. We went ahead with a transfer with some education on reduction of success due to thin lining. We met with dr Williams again after the failed cycle. He was very kind and shared of disappointment. However he did not dwell on it and shared the plan for next cycle and sounded very hopeful for us, which we desperately needed at that time. We are trying long term Lupron to suppress my endo (even tho it’s a mild case) and attempting another transfer after the first of the year. Fingers crossed as our insurance coverage won’t cover much more after the next transfer.
As mentioned before, we could never get a straight answer on what we paying for specifically. We have spent almost 17 grand out of pocket including PGS and one transfer. We also have insurance that will cover 15 grand in infertility coverage one time. Tricare covers sporadic things and the office is never able to tell us what they are covering.
Given our age, dr Williams has always encourage single transfer.

2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Overall I would rate this clinic [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records!... Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me.
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Overall I would rate this clinic a 10/10. Every step, from diagnosis to treatment, made sense and gave me hope. A friend referred me here. She had her son via an IUI. On my first visit, they did preliminary tests and actually sat and read 12 years of prior records! Dr. Smith sat with me for almost an hour and answered my laundry list of questions. I felt at ease and hopeful for the very first time. Additionally, things moved quickly. After more than a decade of vague answers, I walked out of this clinic in less than a year pregnant with twins. Is it any wonder I went back this year to see if my frozen baby would take?
Dr. Bateman put in my twins in 2014. When I went back last month to put in my last remaining frozen embryo, he remembered me. With the numerous people he sees on a daily basis, he took time to talk to me before the FET and hold my hand and wish me luck when it was complete. Both FETs he did resulted in pregnancies. I’m currently 16 days with baby three after starting this process in 1999!
Stephanie knew me by name and was there the day I found out it was twins. I went in early (5weeks) because I was bleeding. I was so worried. Dr. Bateman was calm and looking at the ultrasound machine. For the first time it was faced away from me. Stephanie was standing right behind him. I knew when I saw her smile from ear to ear that everything was okay. Then they turned around the screen and I saw the two sacs for myself. I was not the only one tearing up. She was also the one to call me the first time with the fresh transfer and break the news that it was not a pregnancy. I would not want that part of her job for all the money in the world. She is a blessing. Finally, at the end of my egg retrieval cycle in 2014, when they kept upping my dose until I was at four vials a day, I ended up running short mere days before the trigger shot. She packed a small bag for me that had the necessary meds so I did not have to pay extra for overnight delivery. (Now they all seem to deliver overnight.)
When I started my infertility journey in 1999, things were very different. The current treatment of that archaic time was to cut out a wedge of my ovary to “kickstart” it. With Dr. Bateman everything he recommended was researched-based and progressive. He never recommended fertility drugs like Clomid, I did 14 cycles of that in 2000. He read my medical history and knew I did not need to go back to that stage. When the IUI did not work, he was the one who said IVF with ICSI was needed due to my husband’s inconsistent sperm counts and motility. When the two fresh embryos did not take when a colleague put them in, he recommended assisted hatching. This cycle, four years later, Now includes assisted hatching in its basic costs. Every “setback” was seen by him as another step. He never once made me feel that a baby was not just around the corner. He kept hope even when we were stressed and losing faith. His calm manner was contagious.
Don’t do a fresh transfer, let your body go back to equilibrium.
Skipped Clomid because of my 2000 records. Started with prelim tests to check for causes of infertility. No blockages in tubes, good egg reserve, high thyroid, PCOS, low sperm count and motility. Did IUI because we requested. Did egg retrieval protocol with Gonal F and frequent ovary checks. Egg retrieval followed by fresh transfer. ICSI and 2 fresh 5 day blasts used. Three additional blasts frozen on day five. Unsuccessful Frozen Embryo Transfer using assisted hatching at age 38. Twins. I think same meds last time as this time. Frozen Embryo Transfer age 42. 16 days pregnant. Medications this time were birth control, estrace, lupron, progesterone in oil and progesterone suppositories. And thyroid meds.
My insurance paid for testing until I got a diagnosis. After that, we paid around 500 plus meds for the IUIs. We were approved for the $20k shared risk program, but at the last minute went with the $12k procedure which included egg retrieval, ICSI, and transfer. The following FET cycles cost $2850. Meds for the egg retrieval ran about $3K and about $700 for the transfers. Costs have changed since I first went; for example, assisted hatching is included in the price now. My first FET was $2500 with $650 added for AH. Now everyone pays the $2850. In reality, the only thing that slowed down our journey to parenthood was money. I took us right at a year to save the money for the four months of treatment (2IUIs, 1 fresh ICSI IVF, 1 frozen ICSI, AH, IVF) we ended up doing.
I was 38 and had been seeking fertility treatments for 14 years. By the time we were recommended to Dr. Bateman, we were serious about having at least one. We were counseled about multiple births and selected 2 for the fresh and 2 more for the frozen. He gave us guidelines, but the final choice within those guidelines was ours.
Charlottesville

This clinic is great. Clean, easy to find, ample parking. I drive several hours to get to this location when there are several other clinics in my area...that should tell you something about Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center! :)... Costs are substantially less than the well known fertility clinics in my area. Specifically about a fifth of the price for IUI and half the cost for IVF than another clinic I went to in the DC metro area, where I also went for a consultation and was not impressed with how I was treated at all.
Dr. Williams and his staff are top notch. They are all very warm and caring, and I really believe that their goal is the same as mine...to take home a live baby at the end of all this! I haven't been successful yet, but am confident in Dr. Williams.
Very friendly and helpful, I call a lot and ask a ton of questions and the staff is always so prompt at returning calls.
Dr. Williams is warm and friendly, listened to our concerns and came up with a plan we were comfortable. He told us there was no reason to jump into the most expensive and invasive option, but would have allowed it if we wanted to go that route right away. He really cares about his patients.
Hurry and make your appointment!
We are unexplained and 35 years old. Dr. Williams has had us do 3 cycles of TI with letrozole 5mg and 1 IUI with letrozole 5mg but we have not yet been successful. I responded well to the medication, but as with unexplained, we have no idea why it didn't work. We started out with the cheapest, least invasive option. Lots of other clinics want to put you right to IUI or IVF, but medications do work for a lot of people-Dr. Williams isnt out to just spend your money, like some bigger clinics are!
No opinion on this at this time.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Nursing staff [Repro Med & Surg Ctr] always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.... All strengths, one hour from home a big plus, easy to locate. Every staff member very friendly and helpful. All reproductive needs can be met in the same building, urologist for the male partner, lab, sensual collection rooms.... [Cost Of Treatment] For the year at this point, $2800. That includes labs. Meds ultrasounds, IUI, and HSG. All dr visits
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Reception always friendly and helpful in person and on the phone, nurses as well, greet me by name each time. Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.
Nursing staff always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.
Always greets at waiting room, hand shakes, lives my husbands sense of humor, brought babysitting children a few times and dr Williams shared a moment with them. Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital. Always smiles and walks to the door. When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
Go in with an open mind and listen fully as he explains
Repeat HSG, explained that it wouldn’t be painful as before with other dr, same result blocked tube, prescribed 50 mg clomid for 5 days, 25 mg clomid for my husband with low sperm count. Attempted 1 IUI with HCG trigger. Ovulation, 1.9 million sperm Negative test. Dr Williams decided then with the low count of my husband that IVF would be worth a try
Haven’t gotten to that point yet
Charlottesville

The clinic [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
Strengths - Excellent bedside manner. So compassionate. I feel confident in all the physician's care, even though we have not yet had success, they are consistently altering my treatment plan and explaining every detail. The clinic is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
Laura Smith, and the rest of the physicians and clinic staff as well, remember every detail about me. All the way down to what I do for a living. I can tell they take the time to review my history before entering the clinic room. The nurses and other staff always remember my name, I never have to formally check in I just give them a wave.
So compassionate! They ask how you are doing always and really listen. They explain every detail so well and are incredibly helpful. I truly believe they go above and beyond.
From our first visit, she explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
Jumped right in with IUI from the first cycle (I had done clomid a few times already) with letrozole and trigger shots. My husbands sperm analysis showed a few issues. I did this for two cycles and have been unsuccessful so far.
I am so incredibly fortunate to have health insurance coverage for fertility treatments.
Charlottesville

The staff and doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why...The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask...They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things... The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
The clinic works with me to get my appointments scheduled so that I can minimize my time off. They have weekend hours as well for when ovulation occurs then. That's nice. It's also conveniently located so the trip, which is almost two hours, is rarely wasted on just a doctor visit. That makes the entire situation a tad less stressful. They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things.
The staff and doctors are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why.
The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask. The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
He spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me.
Do your research but trust in what he says, it's served me well.
We did a few cycles of timed intercourse with clomid, no pregnancies. We tried IUI's with clomid, femara, and gonal F (not the same cycle) with no pregnancies as well. We took breaks in between cycles due to our jobs. We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good. I have good reserves for someone my age.
It varied based on what was done. Our insurance doesn't cover IVF/Infertility. The offices do work with me and bill what insurance covers and I out of pocket the rest.
We are still early in this process. From what I have gathered, he uses clinical evidence and the patients history to decide what is best.
Charlottesville

Clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
Clinic is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
She's very attentive, warm, and detailed in her explanation regarding our situation. She takes her time explaining to us what we need to do and our options.
Nursing staff follows the same approach as Dr. Smith. They are compassionate and understanding, as this is a very emotional time for a woman. I have called them with numerous questions, and they always make themselves available to answer them.
Dr. Smith is very knowledgeable regarding her area. She explains everything in detail and make sure we know our options. She frequently reaches out if we need anything, and makes herself available even on Sundays, if need be.
Make sure you communicate your expectations and fears. Dr. Smith takes the time to listen to you.
I have had three rounds of pills + injectables (Follistim +HCG). She adjusts the dosage as needed. However, I am very sensitive to the hormones, and had to cancel a cycle.
some exams were covered by insurance, such as consultation, ultrasonography. The medication varies according to your needs (dosage). With injectables, we have spent around 350-500 a cycle +350 for UIU (Not sure regarding these numbers).

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
This [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area...Stephanie [nurse] is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
This is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area.
She read over all my results at a previous clinic and tailored my ivf cycle to me specifically instead of going with a predetermined protocol. She also made sure we repeated testing that looked off previously but wasn’t addressed. She was realistic but kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
Stephanie is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
She is great. She was very good about tailoring treatment to me/us, and explained fully how with my reserve we would probably only get 1-2 viable blasts and she was right - we have one. She was thorough in our initial consult and did not at all seem inconvenience that we were there for a second opinion prior to starting an ivf cycle and had already gotten a protocol plan from another doctor. She explained why the clinic does freeze all cycles and I left our initial consult feeling very confident in her clinic and feeling comfortable about moving forward. When I’ve seen her since for monitoring & retrieval same thing.
You will see her partners as well for monitoring and even potentially retrieval/transfer, although Dr. Williams was doing retrievals the day I was set for mine and she did come and do mine specifically which was nice. Also the clinic recommends freeze all cycles.
She recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own. Lupron plus hcg trigger. Once my period started I began 2 weeks of birth control for the FET and went on lupron injections. Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
Nothing is covered by insurance. Compared to the large clinic I started with the prices at RMSCVA are better. Our freeze all cycle was $10,500 (we did not do PGS or ICSI). Medications were a few thousand. HSG and blood work about $200, ultrasound $140 or similar. My husband ended up owing $50 for blood work and sperm analysis I think.
Ultimately she said it would be up to us but recommended no more than 2. We ended up having 1 so it is a non issue.

2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Everyone in the practice [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
2013 - 2018
IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
There aren't any other options nearby. But that said, the clinic is well-run and the doctors and staff are informed and experienced. It's busy, but it's a small practice, so it doesn't feel like a train station ... staff did come to know my name. The offices and procedure rooms are all comfortable.
Everyone in the practice is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
She was busy and seemed to have a caseload that was too much for one person. But she was also kind and compassionate.
She is straightforward and matter-of-fact. I had confidence in her medical understanding but did not feel any special personal connection. I am not sure I would recognize her on the street, or she me.
Fertility consultations usually come with some emotion, because we are seeking help for something that is not coming "naturally." This practice will definitely answer your medical questions with kindness and politeness, but you want to get your emotional support elsewhere. I collected information from my doctors, and then went home to talk to people close to me to make decisions.
I used donor egg IVF. The hormones are not fun at all, but it was successful.
The decision was mine to make. I felt they gave me all the information I needed to make an informed decision.
Charlottesville

They [RMSC of VA] are very quick to get you in to be seen, have many appointments open and have a friendly and truly caring staff. You are not a number to them but a person. After the first visit or two they learn your name and make conversation with you to make the process feel more human...Stephanie and Bonnie were some of the most amazing people I have ever dealt with. They made you laugh and gave you hope when you felt there was none. They always helped you see the positive side and went above and beyond their jobs.
They are very quick to get you in to be seen, have many appointments open and have a friendly and truly caring staff. You are not a number to them but a person. After the first visit or two they learn your name and make conversation with you to make the process feel more human
Dr. Bateman was very personable and made connections to both me and my husband and made us feel like people instead of a number. He made the process less clinical and more like he was there to help provide us with the extension to our family.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie )
Stephanie and Bonnie were some of the most amazing people I have ever dealt with. They made you laugh and gave you hope when you felt there was none. They always helped you see the positive side and went above and beyond their jobs. They made sure I knew all about my meds and dosages and that I could call in anytime with questions. When I found out I was pregnant they were jumping up and down and crying with us. They even called to check on me during my pregnancy and after.
Dr. Bateman made sure I understood every procedure to the fullest and what was happening at each interval of IVF. He made sure to answer questions and took time and was never rushed. Even during my egg procedure when I was extremely scared and anxious he personally came in to calm me and made sure I knew I was in good hands and he personally checked on me after, not just sending in a nurse. I always felt he cared and wanted his patients to succeed with treatments. I never felt that this was just a job to him but he truly cared about me.
To trust in him and his experience. He is there to answer questions and to help.
Charlottesville

The entire nursing team at the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA is excellent! I called in countless times to ask questions regarding my treatment plan, medications and just to seek assurance about my situation. Every nurse handled my case with care, compassion and honesty. They made this entire situation much easier to handle...Upon entering the clinic, you immediately feel a sense of peace and acceptance. From the nurses, to the office staff and Doctors. Everyone was caring, compassionate and on board with trying to find an answer and solution . Dr. Bateman laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility".
I would refer anyone who needs fertility assistance to this center. I could not imagine going anywhere else. There was not one thing that I could find wrong with the care I received at this facility.
I never thought I would need to see a fertility specialist. My husband and I were married in 2014. After a year of marriage, we wanted to expand our family. I stopped using birth control measures, at that time. A year later, we were still not pregnant. I followed up with my Gynecologist, being unsure as to why. We received little insight. I self referred to the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA. Of course, I was nervous and unsure of what to expect. Upon entering the clinic, you immediately feel a sense of peace and acceptance. From the nurses, to the office staff and Doctors. Everyone was caring, compassionate and on board with trying to find an answer and solution . Dr. Bateman laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility".
Dr. Bateman was WONDERFUL! He provided me with verbal and written information at each visit re: my treatment plan and what to expect. He created a safe environment where I felt comfortable expressing myself and my concerns. He looked at every detail of my health record to explore why my husband and I were not having successful attempts. He told me several times throughout, "we are going to have a baby" (my husband and I).
Trust in his judgement and ability to provide the best care possible. He is dedicated to helping those in need achieve their dreams of having a child.
I had 4 IUIs in total while receiving care at the fertility clinic. My first two were with Clomid, only. The third we tried Letrozole and lastly I used Letrozole and Injections. My body responded appropriately to all medications used. My husbands sperm count and motility was excellent, Unfortunately, there was no true explanation as to why we were not getting pregnant. Dr. Bateman explained there are sometimes things inside that we cannot see without surgery. He felt we would be better candidates for IVF after 4 failed IUIs.
I had to pay for my IUIs, medications and ultrasounds out of pocket as VA is a state where fertility treatment is not covered under insurance plans. I paid close to $3000 for my care.
This does not apply to me.

1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Strengths they [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Strengths they are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
Dr. Smith is the prime example of detailed oriented and thorough at its best but so incredibly patient, brilliant and skilled with her bedside manners.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrex)
The BEST! So incredibly kind, theyre honest, sooooooo many hugs! Professionally they were on point with exact times, expectations, simplifying instructions and so gentle.
Fertility is stressful but I appreciated Dr. Smiths honesty, professionalism, and so extremely detailed oriented. I never left having questions and always felt confident in our decisions we made together. I have a low ovarian reserve and with her protocol and expertise we beat the odds.
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and/or to have them elaborate. Dr. Smith really loves what she does and you can tell by the way she talks to you.
We had an agressive retrieval plan due to my low reserve. We were able to retrieve 3, 2 fertilized and 1 came back pgs normal. We froze and waited 5-6 weeks for my body to heal and be exactly where it needed for transfer. All went extremely smooth and I had an easy pregnancy. They really are amazing at what they do! The odds were against us and they are miracle workers.
We had a 10% military discount and for the retrieval/transfer it was $12000. We paid separately for meds and pgs testings with other companies they recommended. We were very happy with the process and discount
we only had one embryo to transfer so it wasn’t ever approached

Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
This clinic [RMSC] cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
This clinic cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive. They also require that your previous surgery be paid in full before proceeding on to the next which can be rather inconvenient if your paying towards your bill monthly.
Dr. Smith was very personable and very relatable. She took her time to ensure we understood exactly what our options were and to explain in detail any questions we had. She also told us that it was up to us how aggressive we wanted our treatment to be. She was compassionate and understood what we were going through. She always took the time to encourage us even if we didn't get the results we wants. Dr. Smith was phenomenal and definitely treated myself and my husband as a human.
They always helped and ensured that we had everything we needed. For example, I am hard stick and only one nurse would ever be able to stick me. She made herself available to me every single time to ensure I wouldn't have to travel elsewhere to get blood drawn. They always answered questions and returned phone calls quickly. They were always smiling and ensuring that you had a smile on your face even on the hardest days.
Dr. Smith was a very well rounded doctor. She was compassionate, understanding and very patient. She also always admitted when she was wrong which I loved. Doctor's, just like us are always learning new things especially when it comes to infertility. In a lot of cases we are learning together. For example, upon seeing my husband and I, Dr. Smith asked if I ovulated on my own. I told her no because my OBGYN had run progesterone tests and discovered that I did not. She then asked if my had a period every month to which I replied yes. She then told me that I was in fact ovulating if I was getting a period, that I just must be missing it. After a cycle of running tests and starting my period, at my follow-up visit, she admitted that she had told me wrong and that I had anovulation. To admit when you are wrong shows just how amazing you are both as a person and as a doctor. Dr. Smith was always encouraging and always did her best to uplift us.
Do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand or if you have concerns. Dr. Smith is willing and welcomes all questions. She wants you to understand your treatment and your options.
During my first medicated cycle with Dr. Smith, She prescribed me letrozole (the average dosage) and it didn't work. This was to help me ovulate as she figured out the previous unmedicated cycle that I was experiencing anovulation with a normal AMH. The next cycle she in partner with Dr. Bateman at the same clinic increased my dosage and had me take it for 10 days instead of 5. I ovulated too quickly to do IUI. She recommended IUI because of anovulation and because of the increased dosage of letrozole and because 4 medicated timed intercourse cycles previously resulted in no pregnancy. The third cycle Dr. Smith partnered with Dr. Williams and had me take the same dosage of letrozole just for 7 days instead of 10 and had me trigger with HCG. This time we were able to due IUI with two beautiful follicles however, it failed. During the IUI, after the sperm wash was when my husband was diagnosed with male factor infertility due to low count and motility. We were told if the IUI didn't result in pregnancy that IVF would be our best next option.
My IUI procedure with out monitoring and meds was about $700. Monitoring varied depending on if blood work was ordered but was usually about $150 a visit.

4 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center]) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next...RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch.
4 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Anovulation, Male Factor, Unexplained
RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch. I feel so lucky to have such a great clinic just miles from my home. Getting in for appointments is typically very easy and seamless. Wait times have never been more than 15 minutes. However, i think it is worth noting that you don't consistently see the same doctor at this clinic. I've had ultrasounds by all three doctors and IUIs by all three. As far as I can tell, it mostly depends on the day and time of your procedure.
I have never felt like a number at RMSCVA. The nurses are extremely approachable and friendly. After a few visits, most of them knew my name! There are 3 doctors at the practice, and depending on appointment time and day you may meet with any of them. At first I was concerned about not meeting with the same doctor each time, but I felt at ease with all 3. Plus, they were all very attentive and remembered where I left off with each visit.
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next
My husband and I were dealing with male infertility primarily and wanted to know and learn absolutely everything we could about our situation. Dr. Bateman was great at explaining things, but doesn't sugarcoat - which we really appreciated. We wanted facts and to know straight up what our various options were. Dr. Bateman doesn't come across as especially warm, but each time I see him he smiles and gives my hand a squeeze. He also has an endearingly dry sense of humor.
Respect and trust his knowledge on the subject. I would often read blog posts of things and think I understood them - but let him explain the entire process and trust him.
Charlottesville

The nurses are awesome at RMSCV. They don't make any question feel dumb and they are so friendly and understanding. They quickly return calls, know answers to questions sometimes before I can even ask! They know what I need and give comfort and knowledge.... I love the calm atmosphere they create in their exam rooms. There are images on the lights so you have something to look at. All the gowns are cloth and so are the sheets - so much better than the crinkly paper ones. In the bathroom they provide feminine products if you need them after a procedure and there's always nice lotions to make you feel "pretty." These little touches help me be more relaxed. The technology is up to date and they let you see all of your images. Building feels "new" and the decor is tasteful. Being connected to the hospital makes having additional testing easy.
Dr Bateman truly cares. He explains everything simply and compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephane )
Dr Bateman is the best! He cares for every patient and really wants to help. He's candid but in a kind and compassionate way. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. On multiple times he returned my calls after business hours to explain things or just to calm my nerves.
Choose Dr Bateman - he will be honest and a support for you as you go down your path.
We elected and we're accepted to the shared risk program. It's $20,000 and includes freezing embryos, all visits, retrieval, etc. This doesn't cover medication. It's a program where you bring home a baby or you get your money back.
We are going to do single embryo transfer because the odds of success are the same just the odds of twins increases.

3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress...We had an appointment snafu as one of the receptionists didn't understand the nature of the appointment and caused me to delay an appointment. The nurses didn't call me back until hours after I left a message. When I had my laparoscopy they initially billed it has a tubal ligation and my insurance wouldn't pay.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress. We did tell them our complaints and they attempted to straighten things out but it was still terrible to get such different opinions.
Dr. Williams is a very kind doctor. He checks in after hours to see how things are going or to make sure you understand exactly what is going on.
Stephanie is amazing. She is great. Ashley is also really sweet. The other nurses are great too, but these are the ones I met with most.
Dr. Williams worked very hard to try to get us pregnant. Unfortunately it did not work out for us. He did go above and beyond to try to make it happen. Dr. Williams is very compassionate and explains everything in a way that's easy to understand. He truly cares about his patients.
You won't get to see him every time which is unfortunate because he is the best.
The first time I was with dr. Bateman. We did clomid days 5-9 and IUI. I ovulated but no pregnancy. Then we opted to do a laparoscopy because I had questionable fallopian tubes. I had one tube removed due to ectopic pregnancy which was conceived naturally. The next time we did letrozole and monitoring. I only produced one egg and it was on the side with no tube so we canceled. The next time we did gonal f and letrozole and I produced no follicles. We did ivf with the lupron flare protocol. I had only one egg. It didn't fertilize right away so the did rescue ICSI, but the embryo stopped growing on day 5. We did not transfer. The next time we did 150 iu of gonal f for several days along with cetrotide and letrozole. I had 2 follicles but only one egg retrieved. It fertilized and we transferred on day 3. It did not stick. Now we are changing clinics and doing donor egg.
They initially told us the iui would be $300 but it was closer to $500. Apparently they don't tell you all the hidden costs involved. We spent $15,000 on a two ivf cycle package plus about $4500 in medications.
No comments...only one egg retrieved each time.
Charlottesville

They [RMSC] are warm, supportive and welcoming. They knew their information and if you had a question they didn't know the answer to, they found it out for you. They also helped fill out forms, sent the forms I advance and were very professional about the whole thing.... The genetic testing was around 500 dollars, the lab work was around 200 dollars, the ultrasound was around 300 dollars and I do not remember the cost of the dye test. I also had to pay copays not only at the center for Dr. Smith
They are warm, supportive and welcoming. They knew their information and if you had a question they didn't know the answer to, they found it out for you. They also helped fill out forms, sent the forms I advance and were very professional about the whole thing.
She was down to earth, told it like it was, but told me also that there was hope. She was complete and made you feel comfortable and explained things in a manner that was easily understood.
They were welcoming and supportive and helped get information when needed and sent records where they needed to go.
I was very nervous at first with all of the initial questions and paperwork. But once meeting Dr. Smith, she calmed me down and broke things down for both my husband and myself. She explained the process and the tests and referred me to two other specialists to get cleared and informed about my condition and risks.
Be patient. It is a process, and you might not get the immediate results you want. Take a breath or break when needed.
I was tested for PCOS. I had all of the characteristics of this, but it was never diagnosed. Dr. Smith completed an ultrasound, bloodwork, and a dye test to make sure my tubes were open. We talked about my age and risk factors as well as genetic screening. My husband was not so happy about having to provide his information and do his testing, but we were able to complete that at my local Ob/gyn. After receiving the diagnosis, I asked what are my chances of getting pregnant at my age with my health problems...and she was supportive but also told me the truth that it was a process and it takes time. We started with metformin, then moved to metformin and clomid. We are now looking at other medications and talking about IUI.
I had to pay everything out of pocket. The genetic testing was around 500 dollars, the lab work was around 200 dollars, the ultrasound was around 300 dollars and I do not remember the cost of the dye test. I also had to pay copays not only at the center for Dr. Smith, but then also the two specialists she referred me to. Infertility is not covered under my insurance plan, so I even had to pay out of pocket for medication.
None at this time.
Charlottesville
They [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you...This place is a well oiled machine. Somehow they are able to be timely and efficient while still treating everyone thoughtfully and as an individual. Their communication is top-notch and they really work with your financial needs. Beautiful offices, kind people, effective treatments.
He regularly asked us about what was going on in our lives, remembered small details, etc. He once showed me that he has ever single photo sent to him of every baby he helped parents to conceive. I will never forget that.
We were treated like family. They were gentle, compassionate, and kind. They read the room- we’re willing to joke and be chatty when it was right, and could also be just a calm presence when it wasn’t. They were invested and always advocates for us.
Dr. Williams was kind, authentic, and strategic. He was creative in problem solving around any setback and was a relentless advocate for me as a patient. He would regularly contact me himself (rather than a nurse) when I had questions or concerns, and clearly demonstrated himself to be fully invested in our family.
Let him be creative. There are often many ways to treat a condition and/or navigate a challenge. He is thoughtful and relentless- just watch him do his thing, and trust as much as you can.
After 6 months of clomid with my OB I was immediately switched to letrozol and told to do IUI do to the male factor infertility that was diagnosed at our first appointment. I also had a few other tests. After 4 unsuccessful cycles with HCG triggers, we attempted IVF unsuccessfully. We then moved to injectables with IUI and we’re successful after several attempts.
They are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you. I had some insurance coverage, so I don’t remember my specific costs.
Dr. Williams regularly said “our goal is to get you ONE healthy baby.” He is cautious about multiples in terms of embryo transfers and even IUI cycles with multiple follicles, which I appreciated.

3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center] was around $10,200. Not including medications...You get passed around by the nurses because whoever is available at the time sees you or answers your calls. They did a good job throughout the process. I know they are juggling a lot of patients at a time so sometimes I felt like they may have not understood where I was in the process at times but I don't think that was their fault. It was more related to the amount of patients they see. They also knew my name and I developed a relationship with them during my course of treatment which was nice.
3 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Wait times can be long in the office but that's kinda out of their control. The doctors and nurses are compassionate and they communicate well throughout the process. I wasn't a big fan of their financial person but we only had to deal with her a couple times.
He personally called me a number of times during our IVF cycles. We had to stop our first cycle after I had a bad reaction to cetrotide and he called me and was compassionate. When we started our next cycle and had 1 embryo he called and congratulated me which I thought was really nice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie)
I saw all the doctors at the clinic but Dr Bateman did my egg retrieval and implantation and I fully trusted him. He knew what he was doing and he had an excellent bedside manner. He didn't mess around but you could tell he really cares about his patients.
If you have questions, ask them. Fertility dotors sometimes assume that you know what to expect because they do it everyday. At first I thought I wasn't getting enough information but it was just because I wasn't asking questions. Dr Bateman will spend time answering your questions and making you feel better about the process.
I used gonalF, cetrotide, pregnyl during my first IVF cycle. But I had a bad reaction to the cetrotide and we had to stop the cycle because my estrogen dropped significantly. The next cycle I used the same medications except I did Lupron shots twice a day instead of the cetrotide. That ended up working.
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer was around $10,200. Not including medications.
I only had one embryo to transfer so this wasn't a topic of discussion.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Between canceled appointments/ IUI cycles [at Winchester Infertility] and not being informed on all the options for conceiving, we felt like we were on a schedule that was most convenient for the office, not for us...[the nurse] She was friendly when spoken to but was quiet most of the time. She would make most of the phone calls with protocol instructions...I felt like our infertility options weren't fully covered and that some options were pushed on us because that was the natural progression.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
It's a very small office. In the grand scheme, I think it's a good starting place for those who are in the Winchester area who cannot afford/don't have the time to travel to other infertility clinics. However, I felt like our infertility options weren't fully covered and that some options were pushed on us because that was the natural progression. To a new patient, I would say have a healthy timeline in mind. I often felt like we were in the vehicle but didn't know where we were going.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Francisco Irianni (retired) at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Most of the time, I felt like a human but there were definitely a few times I felt like a number. There were times I would get very vague details about our test results, treatment plan and steps forward. Also, two cycles for IUI were canceled due to staff being out on leave, including Dr. Irianni.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Kristy)
How was your experience with Francisco Irianni (retired) at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Irianni focused more on my weight being our main reason for not conceiving than anything else. I remember leaving his office on several occasions in tears because I had not lost enough weight and he specifically said, "how do you expect to be a good mother when you can't even take good care of yourself". Two planned IUI cycles were canceled because Dr. Irianni was out of office. He also missed several red flags on my husband's semen analyses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Francisco Irianni (retired) at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Be persistent.
Describe the protocols Francisco Irianni (retired) used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
My husband was on clomid to increase his sperm count and motility. I was also on clomid, as well as metformin and novarel.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Francisco Irianni (retired) at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
Insurance covered diagnostic testing, bloodwork, and portions of ultrasounds, but medications and procedures were out of pocket.
Winchester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Francisco Irianni (retired) at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
It's a very small office. In the grand scheme, I think it's a good starting place for those who are in the Winchester area who cannot afford/don't have the time to travel to other infertility clinics. However, I felt like our infertility options weren't fully covered and that some options were pushed on us because that was the natural progression. To a new patient, I would say have a healthy time line in mind. I often felt like we were in the vehicle but didn't know where we were going.
Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Most of the time, I felt like a human but there were definitely a few times I felt like a number. There were times I would get very vague details about our test results, treatment plan and steps forward. Also, two cycles for IUI were canceled due to staff being out on leave including Dr. Irianni.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Christy)
Dr. Irianni focused more on my weight being ourbie reason for not conceiving than anything else. I remember leaving his office on several occasions in tears because I had not lost enough weight and he specifically said, "how do you expect to be a good mother when you can't even take good care of yourself". Two planned IUI cycles were canceled because Dr. Irianni was on out of office. He also missed several red flags on my husband's semen analyses.
Be persistent.
My husband was on clomid to increase his sperm count. I was also on closed, as well as metformin and novarel.

4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient... The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it... I have no complaints with the scheduling here.
4 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Bateman has a kind and gentle bedside manner. In the very beginning, I wasn't necessarily a fan. I felt he was more "old school" in his bedside manner, more hands off. However, the longer I was in the clinic and the more I interacted with him, the more I realized he was genuinely invested and truly hopeful for me as a person and potential mother. I miscarried 3 times and Dr. Bateman delivered that news to me 2 of the 3 times. He was so compassionate, to the point that I felt he was tearing up telling me the news during my last miscarriage. The clinic is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix and Bonnie)
The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it. There were several times I cried in the office and they were so kind and understanding. They were always waiting with a hug. The clinic is small so no one feels like a number. The nurses were joyful when I was pregnant and sad when I miscarried. I truly felt they were engaged in my care and wanted and hoped for the best.
I would recommend Dr. Bateman over again. He started the fertility clinic in Charlottesville and has years of experience under his belt. He was always very knowledgable and helpful when I asked questions. I also appreciated his understanding in one of our meetings when discussing all types of interventions during IVF (ICSI, assisted hatching). My husband and I were part of the shared risk program and as a result it required us to comply with clinical recommendations. Dr. Bateman and I had a discussion about assisted hatching, pros/cons. I told Dr. Bateman I wanted minimal intervention and he understood my wishes and allowed me to choose that for our second cycle of IVF despite the recommendation to proceed with assisted hatching. I appreciated him listening to my needs and comfort level. I did proceed to get pregnant, but miscarried in the first trimester. In the end our outcome wasn't ideal, but I was appreciative of Dr. Bateman listening to me as a patient and honoring my request.
Be engaged in the process and take ownership and ask lots of questions until you understand the process, especially the medication! It is a lot to take in and keep straight and you deserve to understand everything along the way.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
The monitoring appointments were never an issue for me. They were always very accommodating to meet my needs. I never had a conflict. Any lab work had to be completed by 2pm because of their lab. So I could not come in the afternoon for lab work. However, that wasn't an issue for me but I could see that being a problem for some. Ultrasound appointments they try and schedule first thing at 8am when they open so I could get in and out. If I couldn't come in the morning, they were always able to accommodate me when I could come. I have no complaints with the scheduling here.

2012 - 2013
This is a state of the art facility. After exhausting many options of fertility treatment, we went to the UVA Reproductive Center of Virginia (about 3 hours from home) and we were not disappointed. Even needing daily appointments at time never felt like a burden driving back and forth because it was truly worth it.... [Cost of Treatment] $20,000 shared risk program. We would get money back if it did not work after 3 fresh cycles. Approximately $5,000 additional cost of medications.
2012 - 2013
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He deeply understands the challenges (mental, physical, emotional) that go along with infertility treatment for couples. We felt informed and cared for at every step of the way. The staff was always available to address concerns or answer questions. We never felt alone. We are very thankful for each and every one of their team members.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix RN)
Stephanie is phenomenal. She connects on a personal level with her patients and is extremely organized. She cares for her patients. She answered all questions and made herself available around the clock to calm any concerns. We are so thankful to have had her coordinate this entire process. She is wonderful.
Let's be honest, infertility is one of the hardest things a young couple can go through. It can have so many ripple effects. Infertility can make one feel very alone. Dr. Bateman and his staff never let us feel alone. We felt we had someone in our corner the entire way and we were all working toward our goal of having a family. I cannot say enough good things about this state of the art facility and their incredible team members. Dr. Bateman specifically has a heartwarming and endearing quality which only added to our experience and instilled our confidence in him with our most precious gifts.
Listen and trust your doctor. At the end of the day, what will be will be and you cannot change it. This center has your best interests at heart. This condition (infertility) will cause you to question everything but it is relieving to trust in someone who shows as much compassion and care as Dr. Bateman and his staff.
Blood work to check eggs, blood work to check male health as well Check uterus/tube (hysterosalpingogram) Sperm specimen Birth control for 10 days to regulate and "control" the cycle Lupron/FSH/Gonal-F Follistim or Menopur. (injections to belly) for ovary stimulation Daily ultrasounds at clinic around ovulation to localize peak egg period Egg retrieval (21 eggs received) Ferilization (7 embros) Day 5 embro development (2 embryos implanted from fresh cycle) Embryo implantation (first time we did 2 from fresh cycle - 1 implanted resulting in 1 single birth; thereafter only 1 embryo used for vitrified embryos due to a reported higher success of implantation. Each time resulting in successful singl implant) Estrogen supplementation (oral meds) Progesterone shots continued up to 14 weeks gestation (injections to backside) Blood test 2 weeks - Beta levels, Recheck 1 wk for doubling Ultrasound at 7 weeks, and again at 9 weeks Release care to local OBGYN for pregnancy monitoring
After first pregnancy and deciding for additional children, single vitrified embryos used for transfer. Only on first fresh cycle were 2 embryos implanted resulting in single implantation.
Charlottesville

The facility and staff [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] were above average. A feeling of comfort radiates throughout the clinic. Everything is clean and orderly, and the people are knowledgeable and caring. While I haven't started a cycle, I have no hesitation about this clinic....The nurses were patient and kind. They explained everything they were doing, asked if I was okay, and worked with professionalism and care. They were all pleasant.
The facility and staff were above average. A feeling of comfort radiates throughout the clinic. Everything is clean and orderly, and the people are knowledgeable and caring. While I haven't started a cycle, I have no hesitation about this clinic. Once we are financially prepared, I trust this clinic to be with me on this journey.
I was very nervous and hesitant before my consult and initial exam(s), but Dr. Smith and her staff were kind and courteous. While we were not ready to move forward at the time (due to an unrelated health issue), we feel they truly care and want to help us when we are ready.
Dr. Smith went over the details and answered all of my questions. We were not ready to move forward because of another unrelated health issue, but Dr. Smith continued to answer my questions and help prepare us for when we are ready. She could have directed us to return when ready, but she patiently walked us through everything. I left her office with an understanding of the process, specific answers to our questions after initial consult/exams, and comfort knowing she genuinely cares.
Ask any questions you may have. She is knowledgeable, comforting, and caring.
I have only had my initial consult and exam. We had another health issue to overcome, and are now addressing financial concerns before we proceed.
Charlottesville

The front desk staff [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is absolutely wonderful. Every time I call I am greeted with warmth and kindness. The doctors and nurses care more about your success than the dollar. The only weakness is the feeling of being rushed through appointments and being switched around through the doctors...The nurses were always patient and understanding. They took their time to explain medications and injections as needed and were always available to answer questions
The front desk staff is absolutely wonderful. Every time I call I am greeted with warmth and kindness. The doctors and nurses care more about your success than the dollar. The only weakness is the feeling of being rushed through appointments and being switched around through the doctors.
Dr. Smith remembered our names and history every visit without looking at our chart. She seemed to legitimately care about our success
Dr. Smith is a wonderful, caring doctor. I only wish we had more time during visits to fully discuss the plan moving forward and what our options were. Overall she has been very thorough. We have been ttc for over a year now with three failed iui attempts. We will be moving forward with ivf next.
Be patient
I underwent a tubal reversal in March of 2018. After six months unsuccessful we discovered one tube was blocked. We began medicated cycles to force ovulation on the left (my open) side. After a few unsuccessful attempts we moved to iui. My first and second iui cycles were with clomid and unsuccessful. My third was with femara and gonal-F and was also unsuccessful. We are now ready to move forward with ivf.
My tubal reversal cost approximately $6500 out of pocket. My iui cycles have cost approximately $800 including meds after insurance.

2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis
I favor Dr. Smith in the practice. I feel she understands me best. They [RMSC] are not pushy like other clinics who told me I needed IVF to get pregnant. They look for all possible issues and treat at a rate you are comfortable with. I chose endometriosis surgery and that helped me get pregnant naturally when another clinic told me IF I had that surgery wouldn't matter.... Ultrasound during treatment not covered by insurance were $175
2017 - 2019
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis
I favor Dr. Smith in the practice. I feel she understands me best. They are not pushy like other clinics who told me I needed IVF to get pregnant. They look for all possible issues and treat at a rate you are comfortable with. I chose endometriosis surgery and that helped me get pregnant naturally when another clinic told me IF I had that surgery wouldn't matter.
After 11 years of unexplained infertility Dr. Smith took the time to look at my records and listen to me. After my first visit she suspected endometriosis. The doctors I saw in the past would blow me off when I brought this up. She did my surgery less than a month later and sure enough I have moderate endometriosis. I have gotten pregnant twice since then but unfortunately both resulted in MMC. She has been wondeful in working with me to find the cause.
Dr. Smith is amazing! She spotted my thyroid issue in my first visit from my prior records I brought. I had only been diagnosed a few months prior but my records indicated it was an issue for over 10 years. She also diagnosed my endometriosis and peformed surgery for it. That was also missed/ignored by 2 other clinics. She has called me personally multiples times to discuss my plan.
Make an appt ASAP! She is amazing.
Ultrasound during treatment not covered by insurance were $175

2016 - 2019
Endometriosis, Unexplained
The nurse coordinators and staff [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] are so kind and return calls very quickly... Good communicators. Easy scheduling. They handle all communication with insurance and billing very quickly. Office is clean and tranquil. Office staff know exact pricing for procedures if insurance does not cover them.... Ovulation ultrasounds around $200, trigger shots $180, clomid $20... I think each cycle costs around $500 for clomid, shots and monitoring.
2016 - 2019
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Dr Smith has a great bedside manner, explains things in detail, and always has a plan for next steps
The nurse coordinators and staff are so kind and return calls very quickly
I would recommend Dr Smith to anyone. She has so much knowledge and always has a plan of treatment even when things don’t go as planned. She is kind and empathetic but also straight forward in presenting all the details in an understandable way.
Just to seek her out as a doctor really. Beyond that they are in good hands
I was diagnosed with endometriosis so we started monthly injections of Lipton to suppress my system until we were ready to start treatments. We agreed to two rounds of clomid before going to something more intensive. After the Lupron my period didn’t return so I went in for an scan and I was ovulating. She suggested clomid and trigger shots for the first round. That was not successful. The second cycle we had a false positive ovulation and then a second late ovulation with clomid which was a successful cycle, resulting in the pregnancy and birth of our daughter in 2018
Ovulation ultrasounds around $200, trigger shots $180, clomid $20, I can’t remember all the costs but I think each cycle costs around $500 for clomid, shots and monitoring.
No comments
Charlottesville

Because the doctors were quickly skimming charts, a doctor [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] didn't notice the accurate results from a previous test. I reminded them of the actual results and they looked back to find the correct information. Also, I was told I would immediately get follow up information on the portal and did not receive it for a long time...During the IUI process, I paid roughly 300 per visit and visited every few days for ultrasounds I was out of pocket for most expenditures.
They are a well oiled machine, but they are also exceptionally busy. Prepare to build your schedule around it. They will randomly assign your doctor based on their rotation which can sometimes make it difficult for them to have met to discuss a plan for you.
She understood my schedule. She knew we had to keep trying until we had dialed in on a correct course, while other doctor's just wanted to move on. She was very kind and understanding throughout the process.
They usually remembered me and were very kind.
She was very compassionate and understanding. Since she is so busy it was hard to communicate with her in a timely manner or set follow up appointments in a timely manner. I guess that's what happens when you are really good, you become too popular. I would still recommend her though. She is a great in person communicator.
Be patient and make sure you have lots of free time to try to schedule with her.
We tried injections to grow follicles, estrogen pills to try to build my uterine lining, and IUI to help with my husband's fair semen numbers. Unfortunately, by the last round of IUI, my follicles stopped growing and my lining wouldn't thicken. Her next suggestions were surgery to see if my tubes are blocked, then IVF or gestational carrier with IVF.
Charlottesville

They [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] are extremely patient. All of the doctors seem to work well together. The nursing staff is extremely caring and kind. The Administrative staff were helpful and walked us through every step of the process. You do have to indicate which office you wish to be seen in otherwise they will automatically schedule you in their Charlottesville office.
They are extremely patient. All of the doctors seem to work well together. The nursing staff is extremely caring and kind. The Administrative staff were helpful and walked us through every step of the process. You do have to indicate which office you wish to be seen in otherwise they will automatically schedule you in their Charlottesville office.
He is very kind, patient and gentle. He is extremely knowledgeable and explains everything clearly in understandable terms.
All of the nurses have been extremely caring, compassionate. And helpful to me at all of my visits.
He is very patient, understanding, and listens to his patient’s concerns. He explains everything in detail and spends an appropriate amount of time to every patient. He doesn’t give you a sense of false hope. He is provides his patients realistic expectations.
Trust him because he is a great doctor who is extremely knowledgeable.
After having all of my lab work, Dr Williams performed an HSG, and ordered a semen analysis for my husband. It was determined my tubes we’re open and my husband’s sperm was found to be completely normal. I was diagnosed by Dr. Williams as having PCOS and he recommended IVF as the next step for us.
Most of the laboratory work ordered was covered by insurance. Out of pocket was around $230. I also paid about $750 out of pocket for the HSG. And then $35 co-pay for each visit.
I prefer to do multiple embryo transfer if we have numerous viable embryos.
Charlottesville

I feel like clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great...We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests...Nurses at the clinic are amazing. They always return phone calls on the same day as long as you call before 4pm. They are great at follow up and getting you scheduled. Very fast and efficient
I feel like clinic is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great
Dr.Bateman is very straight forward and caring doctor. He is honest on what his practice can do and what they can’t. He takes time to explain everything and making sure his patients understand everything. During my visits my husband and I had numerous questions about our test results and recurrent miscarriages. Dr. Bateman patiently explained everything in details.
Dr. Bateman is an honest doctor who tells you everything without sugar coating. I appreciated that he explained in detail our options, risks and course of treatment. Dr.Bateman is always available to answer questions, and very flexible with your schedule.
Be prepared to hear the truth no matter how upsetting it can be and he is not going to sugar coat it.
We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests.
I had to pay $40 specialist copay. Everything else was covered by my insurance

2007 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.... The nursing staff are very kind, however in my most recent IVF attempts it was hard to get hold of them through email. Once Bonnie retired, Stephanie was obviously overwhelmed, but I felt this impacted my care.
2007 - 2017
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.
He was realistic, down to earth and very sensitive to my needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephanie )
When I was told that I only had two eggs to retrieve, Dr. Bateman was realistic with his expectations but also gave me hope with stories of women who only needed one egg to conceive. His bedside manner and reassurance was very comforting. He held my hand when I was upset and explained everything in detail. He is an older doctor so I think that it is easy to stereotype, but he certainly knows what he is doing.
Ask lots of questions, whatever they may be or how silly they seem.
The 9 IUIs that I tried between 2007-2010 included clomid and injections. These resulted in one chemical pregnancy and one ectopic pregnancy. Unfortunately, the ectopic came after we had our best results with 5 potential eggs.
15,000, but additional 25,000 with IVF after that
We did not get this far.

2008 - 2017
So far our treatment plan [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs...Our current cycle will be $12,000 with ICSI included. However that does not include medications or my husband's TESE procedure or genetic testing....Everyone is extremely friendly, helpful and quick to answer questions. They are like family! You know you've made some friends when you call the receptionist and they know your backstory and your name without even asking it. I feel safe and comforted by this clinic.
2008 - 2017
He was very thoughtful and caring. He responds quickly by email and by phone. He took over an hour to speak to my husband and I by phone so that we would not have to return to the clinic for another appointment. He seems to genuinely care about us and wants what is best, but is open and honest about our chances.
So far our treatment plan has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs.
He made this process so much easier for us by being available whenever we had questions. He never seemed rushed to move on to another appointment and always made us feel like we had his undivided attention.
Be open and communicate all of your questions/fears, etc. He will be open and honest with you.
I am in the process of getting ready for an IVF treatment now, but we will be doing a frozen embryo transfer. In the past he helped with IUI treatments both with Clomid and injections.
We have not gotten to this part of treatment yet.

1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I love the nursing staff at Martha Jefferson [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia]...The doctors seem to encourage single transfers due to the possibility of twins or other multiples and feels like pressure to only do one egg. We chose to do 2 for our fresh transfer which still resulted in 0 babies...Very comfortable small office with excellent staff. We did experience a very long wait past our appointment time however we received a call that the appointment would be at no cost because of this wait which we appreciated very much.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Dr.Williams always tried to help us keep a positive outlook and when my retrieval resulted in an infection which landed me in UVA he made sure I had the best care.
I love the nursing staff at Martha Jefferson.
Dr.Williams was straight forward with us but always optimistic. He made sure we understood the process we went through. He not only addressed our infertility issues but worked to subside the pain brought on by my endometriosis. I always felt comfortable with Dr. Williams
You may have to tell him you want the hard truth. Dr. Williams doesn’t like to jump to IVF which is great but for my condition that seemed to be the only route and Dr. Bateman is actually the one who told us this.
First a surgery was done to remove my chocolate cysts then we tried naturally for a few months but my endometriosis returned aggressively so we tried IUI then moved onto IVF. My endo causes my ovaries to “kiss” therefore it would make it almost impossible to conceive naturally. We opted to do an egg retrieval to freeze eggs and do a fresh transfer.
Over 10,000
The doctors seem to encourage single transfers due to the possibility of twins or other multiples and feels like pressure to only do one egg. We chose to do 2 for our fresh transfer which still resulted in 0 babies. I feel like the doctors need to understand 2 babies would be better than never having one...at least for some people.
Charlottesville

I felt like if RMSCVA took the time to do additionally tests and fully review my partner's sperm analysis, we would not have wasted time or funds on IUI....Brittany - my coordinator for IUI -- was excellent!...Small RE in Charlottesville. They do not have a separate waiting room for people who bring children, so please be aware.
I don't feel like Dr. Bateman took the time to diagnose our issues/ review our past medical history. He certainly is an excellent doctor, but it wasn't until after I'd already undergone 2 IUI cycles that we did the testing to determine my AMH (ovarian reserve) is low. That, coupled with my partner's male factor, meant IUIs were likely never going to be effective for us. I felt like if RMSCVA took the time to do additionally tests and fully review my partner's sperm analysis, we would not have wasted time or funds on IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
Brittany - my coordinator for IUI -- was excellent!
Dr. Bateman takes a conservative approach. We had to ask for additional interventions in order to have a more aggressive treatment plan.
I did 2 cycles of Letrozole/Femara combined with IUI. I added a trigger shot. RMSCVA doesn't necessarily do ultrasound monitoring during IUI cycle (they ask you to do OPKs at home). I asked RMSCVA to add two things which they didn't recommend for me: 1) mid-cycle monitoring because I didn't want to waste a cycle by missing ovulation, and 2) a trigger shot in order to better time IUI. First cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy and second cycle was a negative.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I had a great experience with this clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA]. Everyone was always so nice and reassuring. No one judged me or made me uncomfortable.... The nursing staff was very compassionate and well informed. They always answered my questions.... We started by initially running blood work to check for the most common reasons for my infertility. Then we did a test to check for blockage in my Fallopian tubes. We tried several rounds of Clomid to make me ovulate regularly and then a round of Femera because we had no success with Clomid. Femera offered even less of a result so we then tried IUI beginning with injections to produce follicles. We had an IUI after the injections, but that also failed.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
I had a great experience with this clinic. Everyone was always so nice and reassuring. No one judged me or made me uncomfortable.
Dr. Smith was always nice and reassuring. She made sure to answer all of my questions and made sure I understood what we were doing. She stayed confident even when I was not.
Dr. Smith is great at what she does. She made sure I always understood what she talked about and always answered my questions. She stayed confident even when I was not. She was quick to make any changes when the results were not going as planned, which made me feel better.
Don't be afraid to ask questions.
The costs seemed to be about average. One great thing was that they offer discount programs for IVF.

2009 - 2013
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
The clinic overall was great. The staff / billing was great. The doctors are wonderful. The nurses are great, too, but I do remember being frustrated a few times.
2009 - 2013
3 IUI, 3 IVF, Egg Freezing, Surrogacy
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Unexplained
I loved Dr. Williams. I saw him for many years, so we developed a relationship along the way. My husband and I felt that he truly cared for us. He went above and beyond when I was desperate and wanted to try crazy things. We went above and beyond helping talk me through decisions. He even showed up at our state capitol building to speak out against personhood. It was great to have him there fighting with me outside of the clinic. I always felt that he treated me as an individual and was very sympathetic through our many losses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Overall, they did a good job, but there were a few snafus from time to time that don't seem like a big deal now, but were very upsetting to me at the time.
I had no negative experiences at all with Dr. Williams. He was knowledgeable, kind, caring and competent. He went above and beyond with helping me decide things. Most doctors would have given you the facts and then said it's up to you, but he talked the whole situation through with me on more than a medical level. He also joined me in our state's capitol to help fight negative IVF legislation, so I was thrilled to see him outside of the clinic. He was extremely compassionate towards our situation and when we miscarried.
Nothing, really. You are in good hands.
He tailored it to me each time. I was always successful in producing many eggs, and subsequently many high quality embryos.

2 Eggs Frozen
[The nurses at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia are] Very organized and very nice. They call back quickly and are so wonderful about answering my many questions...I’m doing the EggSafe30 program which is $14,000 for earlier or 30 eggs frozen or 5 cycles. That doesn’t include medicine which is about $2500-3000 per cycle so far...They are so incredibly efficient. I’m in and out very quickly, especially for the daily checkups during stim. It’s. 15 minute affair for ultrasound and bloodwork. And they schedule all my weekend appointments and procedures happily.
2 Eggs Frozen
He was just kind and talked to me. He jokes and has a positive attitude.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Tara )
He’s sort of quiet whereas I’m chatty. So that’s a little awkward at times. But he’s warm and friendly and I really feel like he’s “in my corner” and wants this to go well. We’ve only done 1 cycle and not many eggs were retrieved or frozen unfortunately. I’m eager to consult with him to see if he wants to change protocols for the next round or.not. My friends gave me glowing reviews of him before I met him, which was very encouraging.
Be sure to ask all your questions. He won’t overwhelm you with information but will gladly answer your questions.
Charlottesville

Dr. Banerjee is located within another doctor office and only has one nurse and one patient room. He does consultations and ultrasounds out of Winchester but IUI, sperm analysis, and IVF must be done at their office in Charlottesville, VA.... The doctor forgot to order an A1C bloodwork test when he did my others so I had to get bloodwork twice.... After my consultation appointment, he seemed a bit rushed and trying to hurry through my next appointments
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jashoman Banerjee at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Banerjee was very welcoming and warm during my initial consultation. He explained my fertility plan and reassured me that we were in this journey together. I was very thankful for that. After my consultation appointment, he seemed a bit rushed and trying to hurry through my next appointments but also told me that I can let him know anything that is bothering me.
How was your experience with Jashoman Banerjee at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Dr. Banerjee was great and always ensured I understood the process and my fertility plan. He showed me photos of my mature follicles and explained in depth how IUI works. He made a point to explain that if it unsuccessful, we will try again next month until we get success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jashoman Banerjee at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia?
Come prepared with questions.
Describe the protocols Jashoman Banerjee used in your cycles at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia and their degree of success.
We did 3 rounds of Leterzole. He wanted to increase my dosage of medicine for cycle 4 but gave me that choice to skip to IUI. I made that decision and we increased my medicine, did an HCG shot, and timed IUI. We’re waiting for the results now!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jashoman Banerjee at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
My insurance covers 90% so I really didn’t have an expense.
Jashoman Banerjee
Winchester

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jashoman Banerjee at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.

PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I believe the front desk staff [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] could be more compassionate and understanding on the phone and in person. It is very difficult to get someone on the phone and when steps in the process are so timely it's frustrating not being able to get in contact with someone...Dr Bateman was thorough and explained things to us when we got to see him. After our first visit i usually saw a different doctor for each procedure. It would be nice to stick with one through the whole process when possible
PCOS, Tubal Blockage
I believe the front desk staff could be more compassionate and understanding on the phone and in person. It is very difficult to get someone on the phone and when steps in the process are so timely it's frustrating not being able to get in contact with someone.
I was very dissapointed when we found out our last IUI attempt didn't work. I was supposed to call the clinic when I started my period but was so upset and didn't know what to do next that I didn't call and I never heard anything from the clinic to check in on me. This was discouraging making me feel like they didn't care. After I got myself together I called and made an appointment to discuss our next steps and Dr Bateman was great. I just feel like they could have checked in on me when they didn't hear from me after 2 months.
Dr Bateman was thorough and explained things to us when we got to see him. After our first visit i usually saw a different doctor for each procedure. It would be nice to stick with one through the whole process when possible.
Ask as many questions as you can because he may not cover everything.
We are just getting ready to start IVF.
Charlottesville
The biggest weakness [at Reprodictive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia-Winchester] is that this is a satellite office (the main office is in Charlottesville, VA). This means that some things, such as IUI and IVF, are only offered in the main office which is a much farther drive for me...I had never had any problems with any member of the staff. They work together as a very cohesive team, and I have no complaints...I took clomid on cycle days 5-9 and then tested with an ovulation predictor on days 11-21.
The biggest weakness is that this is a satellite office (the main office is in Charlottesville, VA). This means that some things, such as IUI and IVF, are only offered in the main office which is a much farther drive for me.
We’ve met many times, and he has always made me comfortable and always approaches each visit with a positive attitude.
We are still under going treatment after several rounds of clomid and a recent laparoscopy. We have been unsuccessful with achieving pregnancy thus far. Dr. Banerjee is always happy, positive, and friendly with each visit. Even when I may be sad or frustrated, he always reassures me that we still have more options and that this CAN happen.
The same advice I would give a patient of any fertility doctor; be open minded, try to relax, think positive.
I took clomid on cycle days 5-9 and then tested with an ovulation predictor on days 11-21. On my peak day(s), I had planned intercourse.
My insurance covers some testing such as bloodwork and ultrasounds. I am also responsible for a copay with each visit.
Describe Jashoman Banerjee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia.
I have not experienced this.
Jashoman Banerjee
Winchester
They [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] are open 363 days a year for cycling patients. Huge perk being open all the time. Located in Charlottesville - kind of far from us but we make it work to the best of our ability. We like it enough to drive two hours one way per visit so that should speak volumes.... They [nursing staff] are nice and competent and were really patient with my wife who is a big ninny when it comes to getting her blood drawn.
They are open 363 days a year for cycling patients. Huge perk being open all the time. Located in Charlottesville - kind of far from us but we make it work to the best of our ability. We like it enough to drive two hours one way per visit so that should speak volumes.
He was nice.
They are nice and competent and were really patient with my wife who is a big ninny when it comes to getting her blood drawn.
He was very warm and took the time to answer all of questions. He also explained treatments and next further steps. He came highly recommended from a friend and they also regarded him very highly. We had multiple visits and are still undergoing treatment.
Make an appointment - hes a good doctor.
After trying for over a year we went to Dr. Williams with unexplained infertility. We did 4 months of 5 mg letrozol. One was an IUI. Nothing has worked so far and are still going back for more treatment.
IUI is $500. Much cheaper than the clinics in NoVA... we are probably 5X more expensive.
He didn't talk to us about it.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The office [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] is quiet, and private. It has a cozy feel. The only downside is it can be hard to find as its located in an area with several outpatient offices and buildings. However, there is amble parking due to its location....Thus far I've seen a couple different nurses in office. They are compassionate and caring, easy to reach via phone whenever questions arose....Before continuing treatment, I will see another physician in the practice to have surgery for endometriosis.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Male Factor
The office is quiet, and private. It has a cozy feel. The only downside is it can be hard to find as its located in an area with several outpatient offices and buildings. However, there is amble parking due to its location.
Dr Bateman is a pleasure to work with, showing a genuine concern for our desire to have a family.
The only downside is he no longer performs endometriosis surgery, therefore I need to see another physician in the office. But I feel quite confident I'm receiving the best care. Whenever I've seen him, he makes sure I know what action we're taking and the next steps. He's very thorough and takes the time to explain everything.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. There are no wrong questions, and he takes the time to walk you through the process.
I'm currently seeing Dr Bateman. He has adjusted, increased my clomid dose, and we are planning to utilize IUI soon. Before continuing treatment, I will see another physician in the practice to have surgery for endometriosis.
Charlottesville

I have no complaints [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA]. They are wonderful and respectful of feelings and personal information. I like that I see the same Dr. every time. I have anxiety with Dr.'s and being able to have the same one each time helps me cope a lot better...Everyone was very kind, courteous and professional....Dr. Williams always speaks plainly, gently and used his own experiences to show empathy. I feel like our best interest is what he wants as well.
I have no complaints. They are wonderful and respectful of feelings and personal information. I like that I see the same Dr. every time. I have anxiety with Dr.'s and being able to have the same one each time helps me cope a lot better.
Everyone was very kind, courteous and professional.
I feel I have done that with previous answers. Kind, compassionate, good listener. I have no complaints. I had 3 very intrusive fibroids removed and Dr. Williams did the surgery. He was very clear with expectations for after surgery as well as possible complications.
No advice. He's wonderful.
Had a lot of blood tests to rule out genetic issues,etc. After ultrasounds showing fibroids and the pain they presented it was decided to have them removed in the hopes of making conception faster and keeping a pregnancy. With the intent to call him in a couple months to update him and discuss medication use.
Can't remember
Charlottesville

The clinic [RMSC] is extremely warm and inviting. They make you feel comfortable during a time that is stressful and emotional. Everyone there is so sweet and understanding. Compassion is key for them!...The nurses at the clinic were very thorough and took the time to explain how to do each injection and even when to do it. We had issues with my insurance covering the medications and they worked with me in order to get it covered...Answered all concerns and questions promptly and would return calls the same day!
The clinic is extremely warm and inviting. They make you feel comfortable during a time that is stressful and emotional. Everyone there is so sweet and understanding. Compassion is key for them!
She, the other doctors and the nurses took the time to explain things in detail. Answered all concerns and questions promptly and would return calls the same day!
Dr. Smith was patient and took the time to explain things in detail and cover any questions I had. She made sure I understood what each step consisted of and what the next step was. I never left her office confused or with questions. She was very compassionate with my husband and I taking time to reassure us and explain things in language we understood.
Be prepared for a lot of information. Bring a notebook!
I took a round of several injections and did one trigger shot right before the retrieval.
We paid around $18,000 for everything except medication

3 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
I like being able to email. They [RMSC] have a patient portal but you can only receive messages from them. It was helpful bc all test and lab results were on the portal which came in handy when I saw a different specialist about a separate problem... Stephanie and Tara are great. I can email them any question and I usually get a response by the end of the day.... Prepaid ivf cycle cost about 20k not including anesthesia fees and medication costs but that included 2 egg retrievals, ultrasound, lab work and as many embryo transfer as needed to bring home a live birth
3 IUI, IVF
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Unexplained
I like being able to email. They have a patient portal but you can only receive messages from them. It was helpful bc all test and lab results were on the portal which came in handy when I saw a different specialist about a separate problem
Candid talk from doctor, tough love sometimes which is what we needed. Kind and knowledgeable
Kind and caring. He did not sugar coat facts. He told us stuff about our labs that our prior doctor didn’t or missed helping us discover that some of our fertility issues were also related to my husband
Ask questions. No question is stupid and dr Bateman and his staff have the answers.
Due to my age he recommended 1 embryo transfer at a time and felt there would be better success
Charlottesville

Clinic [Reprod Med & Surg Ctr of VA] has three doctors so if you want timely appointments you may not see the same doctor each visit. We have seen all three and all have been excellent. The clinic is very clean and comfortable but small enough that you don’t feel like you are just a number... The nurses were very kind and compassionate... $865 IUI procedure plus tests and visits leading up to visit $400 HSG test $319 lab work
Clinic has three doctors so if you want timely appointments you may not see the same doctor each visit. We have seen all three and all have been excellent. The clinic is very clean and comfortable but small enough that you don’t feel like you are just a number
He was very attentive and available to answer questions
The nurses were very kind and compassionate
He was very open to answering questions and discussing procedure and medications in detail. He was realistic about the possible outcome of procedure. We were able to get appointments in a reasonable amount of time. He was very thorough while remaining compassionate. We look forward to continuing to work with Dr. Bateman.
Come prepared with your questions
Clomid cycle day 5-9 and IUI
Charlottesville
Our clinic [Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] is good they work well at scheduling appointments and following up with patients. They work hard to make sure that their staff available to help at all times of the day and all days of the week... Monica is the best nurse ever. She is kind caring and compassionate... Call ahead Early to schedule an appointment.... Dr. Williams is one of the best doctors I've worked with and I greatly trust his opinion
Our clinic is good they work well at scheduling appointments and following up with patients. They work hard to make sure that their staff available to help at all times of the day and all days of the week
He is a kind, caring man. He always listens and is very supportive
Monica is the best nurse ever. She is kind caring and compassionate
He is very kind a caring. He fully explains everything you need to know about the procedure and likelihood of conceiving. The only negative is it he is very popular and is often very busy and hard to schedule appointments with. Dr. Williams is one of the best doctors I've worked with and I greatly trust his opinion
Call ahead Early to schedule an appointment.
I started with 50 mg of Clomid then hundred milligrams then 150 mg. Next we are the trigger shot. And up my Clomid to 200 mg.
Charlottesville

They [Repro Med Surgery Ctr] are very educated in what they do but often you don't get a choice in doctors. This makes you feel like a number at times. They have always cared for mine and my husbands concerns and supported us in the journey.... Once a nurse did not schedule our appointment like she should but it was only one slip up... The costs have been very reasonable.... Monica has s the sweetest nurse on the planet. They all take time to call back for follow up questions after hours.
They are very educated in what they do but often you don't get a choice in doctors. This makes you feel like a number at times. They have always cared for mine and my husbands concerns and supported us in the journey.
He really cares for his patients even if he is very blunt to the point.
He is like a friendly grandpa rooting for you. He has many years of experience. He can be very facts first which can be offputting at times but he is also sentimental and daring. He has been there to whip away my tears and hold my hand. Even though we have had no success yet we are very hopeful!
Be prepared to get a lot of information that you may not understand
Started right away with clomid 50mg, then 100mg, then 150 mg, then 200 mg with trigger shot
The costs have been very reasonable.

2013
2013
Dr. Williams and the entire team at RMSCVA knew me by name and face and treated me like I was the only patient that mattered. I was never rushed through appointments and never made to feel like my thoughts, opinions or ideas were stupid. When there were issues or questions regarding my treatment plan, Dr. Williams called me personally and spend 30 minutes on the phone discussing my options calmly and patiently. I cannot say enough positive things about my experience.
If I cried, they cried with me. If I laughed, they laughed with me. When it was time to be discharged to my regular OB they hugged me like they were saying goodbye to a family member.
Sensitive, kind, soothing, humorous if the situation called for it.
Be honest with how you're feeling and don't hesitate for a moment to ask a question if you think it's important.
Charlottesville

They [the nursing staff] responded to messages appropriately, answered the questions, and showed compassion with setbacks.
I felt like he just went through a checklist on his way to IVF and learned nothing about me personally (besides bloodwork).
They responded to messages appropriately, answered the questions, and showed compassion with setbacks.
No questions were asked that I didn't offer and no suggestions were made besides everything I could look up on Google. He just went through bloodwork, HSG, drugs, sperm sample. Nothing felt specific to me. He would come in and say he read the chart and knows all about everything each visit. I had to call back every month to ask the nurse what the next step was.
Do your own research and bring lots of questions because extra information will not be offered to you.
Charlottesville

The nurses [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] were all very compassionate, even while I went there as a satellite patient. They really take time to help [you] understand the medications and how the injections work.
Investor
The Dr's and Nurses are some of the kindest I have come across.
The nurses were all very compassionate, even while I went there as a satellite patient. They really take time to help u understand the medications and how the injections work.
Dr Bateman is very dry. He doesn't elaborate on much. I did trust his experience. They take a very conservative approach so I wouldn't recommend to anyone who is higher risk.
Make sure to ask what their protocol is and why they only use the same one for different cycles.

1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
He [Dr. Irianni] is very dedicated and gave us great service. It [Winchester Infertility] is a small office in a small city and that was wonderful... The donor did not tell the clinic that she is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. I am not sure if he did not ask her or she did not realize.
1 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs
He is very dedicated and gave us great service. It is a small office in a small city and that was wonderful. He only works with married couples and is very conscientious.
He had one main nurse we worked with and she was great.
We had a great experience even though if was long and challenging. We never felt like a number. When I had a miscarriage, he was very kind and supportive.
Be very honest and clear about what you want and need. He will be honest and let you know what is possible.
Can't remember but I did not have any major problems. We did 3 rounds of IVF with my eggs and conceived on the 3rd one. I miscarried at 12 weeks. Then we want back and did a donor egg cycle and were successful. The third time with my eggs was not great--he could not retrieve many. Also the donor cycle was not timed quite right and we got a low number of eggs from her, but one worked out.
$15,000 for donor cycle covered by us. Earlier cycles with my eggs were covered by insurance.
Winchester

At RMSCVA you may see several doctors, especially during mid cycle monitoring. Some doctors are more thorough than others, which is frustrating. However, the staff has always been super helpful. If I have a question, I can call and the nurses always call back quickly...[Dr. Christopher Williams] would always read up on my file before meeting. He took time to personally call me and discuss our plan...is helpful and supportive of my plan. He always makes me feel comfortabl
Dr. Williams would always read up on my file before meeting. He took time to personally call me and discuss our plan.
Dr. Williams is helpful and supportive of my plan. He always makes me feel comfortable and makes sure I understand the next step in the process. He takes time to answer all my questions and calm my anxieties.
Ask questions! Dr. Williams is very knowledgeable and there to help!