9.7

Lynchburg, VA 24502
Winchester (closed)
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601

Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.... Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital.... When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
Nursing staff [Repro Med & Surg Ctr] always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.... All strengths, one hour from home a big plus, easy to locate. Every staff member very friendly and helpful. All reproductive needs can be met in the same building, urologist for the male partner, lab, sensual collection rooms.... [Cost Of Treatment] For the year at this point, $2800. That includes labs. Meds ultrasounds, IUI, and HSG. All dr visits
How was your experience with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Always greets at waiting room, hand shakes, lives my husbands sense of humor, brought babysitting children a few times and dr Williams shared a moment with them. Very straight forward, have multiple options and reasons, bought in specialist for my husbands needs so he wouldn’t have to go to creepy hospital. Always smiles and walks to the door. When Dr Williams couldn’t see me he highly recommended others from office. Didn’t beat around the bush and let us attempt other procedures that wouldn’t Benefit. Great friendly attitude. I looks forward to each visit
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Go in with an open mind and listen fully as he explains
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Reception always friendly and helpful in person and on the phone, nurses as well, greet me by name each time. Dr Williams greets me in waiting room to come to room himself always smiles shakes hands. Very informative.
Describe the protocols Christopher Williams used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
Repeat HSG, explained that it wouldn’t be painful as before with other dr, same result blocked tube, prescribed 50 mg clomid for 5 days, 25 mg clomid for my husband with low sperm count. Attempted 1 IUI with HCG trigger. Ovulation, 1.9 million sperm Negative test. Dr Williams decided then with the low count of my husband that IVF would be worth a try
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Nursing staff always present, reassurance during procedures. Prompt call back after leaving messages, very informative.
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Describe Christopher Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Haven’t gotten to that point yet
Charlottesville

From our first visit, she [Dr. Laura Smith] explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
The clinic [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
How was your experience with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
From our first visit, she explained everything in detail but in a way that I understood. There is massive amounts of information given these visits, and it can me overwhelming and emotional, but I have never left feeling like I did not know what was going on. My favorite thing about her is the way she tells you every step of the procedure she is performing when you cannot see exactly what she is doing. It makes me feel more comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Laura Smith, and the rest of the physicians and clinic staff as well, remember every detail about me. All the way down to what I do for a living. I can tell they take the time to review my history before entering the clinic room. The nurses and other staff always remember my name, I never have to formally check in I just give them a wave.
Describe the protocols Laura Smith used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
Jumped right in with IUI from the first cycle (I had done clomid a few times already) with letrozole and trigger shots. My husbands sperm analysis showed a few issues. I did this for two cycles and have been unsuccessful so far.
So compassionate! They ask how you are doing always and really listen. They explain every detail so well and are incredibly helpful. I truly believe they go above and beyond.
Strengths - Excellent bedside manner. So compassionate. I feel confident in all the physician's care, even though we have not yet had success, they are consistently altering my treatment plan and explaining every detail. The clinic is so helpful with the financial aspect of treatment as well. Weaknesses - The clinic decor/environment is a little cold. At my first visit when I walked in I initially felt uncomfortable and un-welcomed. This of course changed when I met the staff, but I think it would put people at ease to change up the decor a bit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
I am so incredibly fortunate to have health insurance coverage for fertility treatments.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Williams] spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me....We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good
The staff and doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why...The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask...They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things... The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
He spoke to me in a manner that I could easily understand. He did not speak over my head. He was also approachable and seemed willing to answer my questions. He came down and let us in the building which shocked me when the weekend system failed. I would have expected him to send the nurse. That really impressed me.
Do your research but trust in what he says, it's served me well.
The staff and doctors are all friendly. They take the time to make sure I understand what the plan is and why.
We did a few cycles of timed intercourse with clomid, no pregnancies. We tried IUI's with clomid, femara, and gonal F (not the same cycle) with no pregnancies as well. We took breaks in between cycles due to our jobs. We went with conservative measures since everything test wise is good. I have good reserves for someone my age.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
The entire staff there is great. I interact with Stephanie a great deal since she is the IVF nurse coordinator. She's very friendly and quick to answer any questions I ask. The other nurses are also easy to talk to and treat me like a human. It is very important not to feel like a number. They can even joke a little with me which is important.
The clinic works with me to get my appointments scheduled so that I can minimize my time off. They have weekend hours as well for when ovulation occurs then. That's nice. It's also conveniently located so the trip, which is almost two hours, is rarely wasted on just a doctor visit. That makes the entire situation a tad less stressful. They are prompt and accurate in their billing as well, two critical things.
It varied based on what was done. Our insurance doesn't cover IVF/Infertility. The offices do work with me and bill what insurance covers and I out of pocket the rest.
We are still early in this process. From what I have gathered, he uses clinical evidence and the patients history to decide what is best.
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith is very knowledgeable regarding her area. She explains everything in detail and make sure we know our options. She frequently reaches out if we need anything, and makes herself available even on Sundays, if need be.... She's very attentive, warm, and detailed in her explanation regarding our situation. She takes her time explaining to us what we need to do and our options.
Clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Make sure you communicate your expectations and fears. Dr. Smith takes the time to listen to you.
I have had three rounds of pills + injectables (Follistim +HCG). She adjusts the dosage as needed. However, I am very sensitive to the hormones, and had to cancel a cycle.
Nursing staff follows the same approach as Dr. Smith. They are compassionate and understanding, as this is a very emotional time for a woman. I have called them with numerous questions, and they always make themselves available to answer them.
Clinic is well organized, and staff is very friendly. They are easy to reach, and work with you in scheduling appointments. They provide all information, and make sure you know about your options within the first visit. They review your medical records, and take the time to sit down with you to discuss which approach to take. It seems like it is a decision you make together (patient+client+doctor). We did all blood work in the same visit, and were able to start treatment in the following cycle.
some exams were covered by insurance, such as consultation, ultrasonography. The medication varies according to your needs (dosage). With injectables, we have spent around 350-500 a cycle +350 for UIU (Not sure regarding these numbers).
Charlottesville

She [Dr. Smith] recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own... Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
This [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area...Stephanie [nurse] is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
She is great. She was very good about tailoring treatment to me/us, and explained fully how with my reserve we would probably only get 1-2 viable blasts and she was right - we have one. She was thorough in our initial consult and did not at all seem inconvenience that we were there for a second opinion prior to starting an ivf cycle and had already gotten a protocol plan from another doctor. She explained why the clinic does freeze all cycles and I left our initial consult feeling very confident in her clinic and feeling comfortable about moving forward. When I’ve seen her since for monitoring & retrieval same thing.
You will see her partners as well for monitoring and even potentially retrieval/transfer, although Dr. Williams was doing retrievals the day I was set for mine and she did come and do mine specifically which was nice. Also the clinic recommends freeze all cycles.
She read over all my results at a previous clinic and tailored my ivf cycle to me specifically instead of going with a predetermined protocol. She also made sure we repeated testing that looked off previously but wasn’t addressed. She was realistic but kind and compassionate.
She recommended against priming with birth control or estrogen as she suspected I might get oversuppressed. We did a natural start cycle. She put me on 450iu follistim/menopur (she explained that doses above this haven’t been proven any more successful) & cetrotide for 3 days near the end to stop ovulation on my own. Lupron plus hcg trigger. Once my period started I began 2 weeks of birth control for the FET and went on lupron injections. Once I have monitoring we will begin PIO injections as they have found 8% increase in pregnancy rates with this. They recommend freeze all cycles (they do fresh as well but many fewer) due to their success rates being about 15% higher with freeze all (65%, nonPGS tested embryos).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
Stephanie is excellent. I can’t imagine how organized she has to be to keep track of so many women’s cycles at once. She always has made me feel like I am only one of a few patients rather than one of many. She is so patient and explains everything completely. I’ve never waited more than 24 hours for a return call even when it was for a stupid question. Laura is still learning but is pleasant and kind as well.
This is a smaller clinic which could be viewed as a strength or a weakness. The main location in Charlottesville is easily accessible. I’ve been comfortable there. My husband liked that the “sperm room” is discrete. Friendly receptionist, adequate room in the waiting area.
Nothing is covered by insurance. Compared to the large clinic I started with the prices at RMSCVA are better. Our freeze all cycle was $10,500 (we did not do PGS or ICSI). Medications were a few thousand. HSG and blood work about $200, ultrasound $140 or similar. My husband ended up owing $50 for blood work and sperm analysis I think.
Describe Laura Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Ultimately she said it would be up to us but recommended no more than 2. We ended up having 1 so it is a non issue.
2013 - 2018, Successful
She [Dr. Laura Smith] is straightforward and matter-of-fact. I had confidence in her medical understanding but did not feel any special personal connection. I am not sure I would recognize her on the street, or she me.... Fertility consultations usually come with some emotion, because we are seeking help for something that is not coming "naturally." This practice will definitely answer your medical questions with kindness and politeness, but you want to get your emotional support elsewhere. I collected information from my doctors, and then went home to talk to people close to me to make decisions.
Everyone in the practice [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
She is straightforward and matter-of-fact. I had confidence in her medical understanding but did not feel any special personal connection. I am not sure I would recognize her on the street, or she me.
Everyone in the practice is nice, friendly, but also business-like and to-the-point. I liked working with the IVF nurse *very much*, and she became my primary point of contact for most of my communications. So I never felt like a number, but I did feel like everyone was always busy and didn't have any more time to spend with me than what was necessary. The IVF nurse was clearly very busy, but I also felt that she cared.
I used donor egg IVF. The hormones are not fun at all, but it was successful.
She was busy and seemed to have a caseload that was too much for one person. But she was also kind and compassionate.
There aren't any other options nearby. But that said, the clinic is well-run and the doctors and staff are informed and experienced. It's busy, but it's a small practice, so it doesn't feel like a train station ... staff did come to know my name. The offices and procedure rooms are all comfortable.
The decision was mine to make. I felt they gave me all the information I needed to make an informed decision.
Charlottesville

Dr. Williams wanted to get a sense of who I was as a person and what was going on in my life all around. He played close attention to my needs and made sure that we were fully on board with all treatment options...worked very closely with me to manage what was affordable and will just tickly possible given my needs. Further, when we hit roadblocks, he was a creative and dynamic thinker, always advocating for me as a patient and our family. He Certainly went above and beyond to make sure that we felt comfortable and that we had pursued all possible options. I cannot recommend him highly enough
The nursing staff [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] may just be the best thing about this clinic. They are thoughtful, organized, efficient, and amazing communicators...I absolutely loved everything about this clinic. I can’t imagine that there’s anything that I would change, Beyond making it a little bit closer to where I live. That said I do know that they have opened other offices in recent months...After discovering that IVF would not be the best fit for my anatomy, we simply transitioned that cycle into an injectable IUI. A few more IUIs using different meds and protocols (and one chemical pregnancy), we became pregnant with my daughter.
Dr. Williams worked very closely with me to manage what was affordable and will just tickly possible given my needs. Further, when we hit roadblocks, he was a creative and dynamic thinker, always advocating for me as a patient and our family. He Certainly went above and beyond to make sure that we felt comfortable and that we had pursued all possible options. I cannot recommend him highly enough
Do it. He will give you so many options, some of which you may never heard of.
After seven months of Clomid through my obgyn, we started with an HSG and letrozole. We had some male factor indications, so all of our following cycles were IUIs. After four failed IUI with letrozole and trigger injection, we briefly attempted IVF. After discovering that IVF would not be the best fit for my anatomy, we simply transitioned that cycle into an injectable IUI. A few more IUIs using different meds and protocols (and one chemical pregnancy), we became pregnant with my daughter.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Ashley and Brittany)
The nursing staff may just be the best thing about this clinic. They are thoughtful, organized, efficient, and amazing communicators.
I am fortunate in that most of the cost associated with my treatment were covered by my insurance. I did have to pay until I met my deductible, but my total treatments were under $2000.
Dr. Williams seems to have a pretty good equation for the number of the embryo transfers. He is also known for his strength in getting women pregnant with singleton pregnancies, which is always safer.
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman was very personable and made connections to both me and my husband and made us feel like people instead of a number. He made the process less clinical and more like he was there to help provide us with the extension to our family.... Even during my egg procedure when I was extremely scared and anxious he personally came in to calm me and made sure I knew I was in good hands and he personally checked on me after, not just sending in a nurse. I always felt he cared and wanted his patients to succeed with treatments. I never felt that this was just a job to him but he truly cared about me.
They [RMSC of VA] are very quick to get you in to be seen, have many appointments open and have a friendly and truly caring staff. You are not a number to them but a person. After the first visit or two they learn your name and make conversation with you to make the process feel more human...Stephanie and Bonnie were some of the most amazing people I have ever dealt with. They made you laugh and gave you hope when you felt there was none. They always helped you see the positive side and went above and beyond their jobs.
How was your experience with Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr. Bateman made sure I understood every procedure to the fullest and what was happening at each interval of IVF. He made sure to answer questions and took time and was never rushed. Even during my egg procedure when I was extremely scared and anxious he personally came in to calm me and made sure I knew I was in good hands and he personally checked on me after, not just sending in a nurse. I always felt he cared and wanted his patients to succeed with treatments. I never felt that this was just a job to him but he truly cared about me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
To trust in him and his experience. He is there to answer questions and to help.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie )
Stephanie and Bonnie were some of the most amazing people I have ever dealt with. They made you laugh and gave you hope when you felt there was none. They always helped you see the positive side and went above and beyond their jobs. They made sure I knew all about my meds and dosages and that I could call in anytime with questions. When I found out I was pregnant they were jumping up and down and crying with us. They even called to check on me during my pregnancy and after.
They are very quick to get you in to be seen, have many appointments open and have a friendly and truly caring staff. You are not a number to them but a person. After the first visit or two they learn your name and make conversation with you to make the process feel more human
Charlottesville

Dr. Smith is the prime example of detailed oriented and thorough at its best but so incredibly patient, brilliant and skilled with her bedside manners.... Fertility is stressful but I appreciated Dr. Smiths honesty, professionalism, and so extremely detailed oriented. I never left having questions and always felt confident in our decisions we made together. I have a low ovarian reserve and with her protocol and expertise we beat the odds.
Strengths they [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
Don’t be afraid to ask questions and/or to have them elaborate. Dr. Smith really loves what she does and you can tell by the way she talks to you.
We had an agressive retrieval plan due to my low reserve. We were able to retrieve 3, 2 fertilized and 1 came back pgs normal. We froze and waited 5-6 weeks for my body to heal and be exactly where it needed for transfer. All went extremely smooth and I had an easy pregnancy. They really are amazing at what they do! The odds were against us and they are miracle workers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrex)
The BEST! So incredibly kind, theyre honest, sooooooo many hugs! Professionally they were on point with exact times, expectations, simplifying instructions and so gentle.
Strengths they are very well respected, incredibly knowledgeable and genuily love what they do. The staff are treated very well by the team and you can tell they all work very well together. No weaknesses.... even as an lgbt and military memebwr they went over and beyond for discounts, and respectful our our lifestyle. We are older first time parents and the Best team for our circumstances. Baby #2 will be there for sure!
We had a 10% military discount and for the retrieval/transfer it was $12000. We paid separately for meds and pgs testings with other companies they recommended. We were very happy with the process and discount
we only had one embryo to transfer so it wasn’t ever approached
Charlottesville

This clinic [RMSC] cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive.
Dr. Smith was a very well rounded doctor. She was compassionate, understanding and very patient. She also always admitted when she was wrong which I loved. Doctor's, just like us are always learning new things especially when it comes to infertility. In a lot of cases we are learning together. For example, upon seeing my husband and I, Dr. Smith asked if I ovulated on my own. I told her no because my OBGYN had run progesterone tests and discovered that I did not. She then asked if my had a period every month to which I replied yes. She then told me that I was in fact ovulating if I was getting a period, that I just must be missing it. After a cycle of running tests and starting my period, at my follow-up visit, she admitted that she had told me wrong and that I had anovulation. To admit when you are wrong shows just how amazing you are both as a person and as a doctor. Dr. Smith was always encouraging and always did her best to uplift us.
Do not be afraid to ask questions if you do not understand or if you have concerns. Dr. Smith is willing and welcomes all questions. She wants you to understand your treatment and your options.
Dr. Smith was very personable and very relatable. She took her time to ensure we understood exactly what our options were and to explain in detail any questions we had. She also told us that it was up to us how aggressive we wanted our treatment to be. She was compassionate and understood what we were going through. She always took the time to encourage us even if we didn't get the results we wants. Dr. Smith was phenomenal and definitely treated myself and my husband as a human.
During my first medicated cycle with Dr. Smith, She prescribed me letrozole (the average dosage) and it didn't work. This was to help me ovulate as she figured out the previous unmedicated cycle that I was experiencing anovulation with a normal AMH. The next cycle she in partner with Dr. Bateman at the same clinic increased my dosage and had me take it for 10 days instead of 5. I ovulated too quickly to do IUI. She recommended IUI because of anovulation and because of the increased dosage of letrozole and because 4 medicated timed intercourse cycles previously resulted in no pregnancy. The third cycle Dr. Smith partnered with Dr. Williams and had me take the same dosage of letrozole just for 7 days instead of 10 and had me trigger with HCG. This time we were able to due IUI with two beautiful follicles however, it failed. During the IUI, after the sperm wash was when my husband was diagnosed with male factor infertility due to low count and motility. We were told if the IUI didn't result in pregnancy that IVF would be our best next option.
They always helped and ensured that we had everything we needed. For example, I am hard stick and only one nurse would ever be able to stick me. She made herself available to me every single time to ensure I wouldn't have to travel elsewhere to get blood drawn. They always answered questions and returned phone calls quickly. They were always smiling and ensuring that you had a smile on your face even on the hardest days.
This clinic cares about their patients. They have an open mind and are willing to listen to the patient. They understand that sometimes the patient knows their bodies best and are willing to work with them to get the expected outcome. From the time you step in the waiting room, you feel welcome. Everyone is smiling, willing to help and compassionate. The only weakness that I feel that they have is that they do turn patients away for IVF if your BMI isn't under 40 and that the treatment for IVF is so expensive. They also require that your previous surgery be paid in full before proceeding on to the next which can be rather inconvenient if your paying towards your bill monthly.
My IUI procedure with out monitoring and meds was about $700. Monitoring varied depending on if blood work was ordered but was usually about $150 a visit.
Charlottesville

Dr.Bateman is very straight forward and caring doctor. He is honest on what his practice can do and what they can’t. He takes time to explain everything and making sure his patients understand everything. During my visits my husband and I had numerous questions about our test results and recurrent miscarriages. Dr. Bateman patiently explained everything in details...Dr.Bateman is always available to answer questions, and very flexible with your schedule.
I feel like clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great...We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests...Nurses at the clinic are amazing. They always return phone calls on the same day as long as you call before 4pm. They are great at follow up and getting you scheduled. Very fast and efficient
Dr. Bateman is an honest doctor who tells you everything without sugar coating. I appreciated that he explained in detail our options, risks and course of treatment. Dr.Bateman is always available to answer questions, and very flexible with your schedule.
Be prepared to hear the truth no matter how upsetting it can be and he is not going to sugar coat it.
Describe the protocols Bruce Bateman (retired) used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
We saw Dr. Bateman for recurrent miscarriages. We did numerous tests.
I feel like clinic is doing a great job. They try to maintain affordable prices for those whose insurance don’t cover ivf. They always try to work with your schedule. I cannot recall any weaknesses in my experience. Our experience with the clinic was great
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
I had to pay $40 specialist copay. Everything else was covered by my insurance
What specific things went wrong at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Clinic works with Martha Jefferson hospital lab for complicated tests like karyotype testing. It was not clinic’s fault but the lab they work with that lost our results, and we had to resubmit blood work, which slowed the process a little bit. Again it is the lab that they work with.
Charlottesville

[Dr.Bruce Bateman] has an endearingly dry sense of humor...My husband and I were dealing with male infertility primarily and wanted to know and learn absolutely everything we could about our situation. Dr. Bateman was great at explaining things, but doesn't sugarcoat - which we really appreciated. We wanted facts and to know straight up what our various options were. Dr. Bateman doesn't come across as especially warm, but each time I see him he smiles and gives my hand a squeeze.
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center]) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next...RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch.
My husband and I were dealing with male infertility primarily and wanted to know and learn absolutely everything we could about our situation. Dr. Bateman was great at explaining things, but doesn't sugarcoat - which we really appreciated. We wanted facts and to know straight up what our various options were. Dr. Bateman doesn't come across as especially warm, but each time I see him he smiles and gives my hand a squeeze. He also has an endearingly dry sense of humor.
Respect and trust his knowledge on the subject. I would often read blog posts of things and think I understood them - but let him explain the entire process and trust him.
I have never felt like a number at RMSCVA. The nurses are extremely approachable and friendly. After a few visits, most of them knew my name! There are 3 doctors at the practice, and depending on appointment time and day you may meet with any of them. At first I was concerned about not meeting with the same doctor each time, but I felt at ease with all 3. Plus, they were all very attentive and remembered where I left off with each visit.
Stephanie and Laura (IVF Nurse Coordinators) are wonderful and easy to communicate with. Throughout the IVF process, I've had much more contact with them on a weekly (sometimes daily) basis. Stephanie always knows where I left off with treatment and can explain where we're going next
RMSCVA is a small clinic supporting Charlottesville and the Central Va region. There are three doctors (all are wonderful) and the nursing staff is top notch. I feel so lucky to have such a great clinic just miles from my home. Getting in for appointments is typically very easy and seamless. Wait times have never been more than 15 minutes. However, i think it is worth noting that you don't consistently see the same doctor at this clinic. I've had ultrasounds by all three doctors and IUIs by all three. As far as I can tell, it mostly depends on the day and time of your procedure.

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr Bateman is the best! He cares for every patient and really wants to help. He's candid but in a kind and compassionate way. He makes you feel like you are his only patient. On multiple times he returned my calls after business hours to explain things or just to calm my nerves.
The nurses are awesome at RMSCV. They don't make any question feel dumb and they are so friendly and understanding. They quickly return calls, know answers to questions sometimes before I can even ask! They know what I need and give comfort and knowledge.... I love the calm atmosphere they create in their exam rooms. There are images on the lights so you have something to look at. All the gowns are cloth and so are the sheets - so much better than the crinkly paper ones. In the bathroom they provide feminine products if you need them after a procedure and there's always nice lotions to make you feel "pretty." These little touches help me be more relaxed. The technology is up to date and they let you see all of your images. Building feels "new" and the decor is tasteful. Being connected to the hospital makes having additional testing easy.
Choose Dr Bateman - he will be honest and a support for you as you go down your path.
Dr Bateman truly cares. He explains everything simply and compassionately.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephane )
We elected and we're accepted to the shared risk program. It's $20,000 and includes freezing embryos, all visits, retrieval, etc. This doesn't cover medication. It's a program where you bring home a baby or you get your money back.
Describe Bruce Bateman (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
We are going to do single embryo transfer because the odds of success are the same just the odds of twins increases.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Williams is a very kind doctor. He checks in after hours to see how things are going or to make sure you understand exactly what is going on....The first time I was with dr. Bateman. We did clomid days 5-9 and IUI. I ovulated but no pregnancy. Then we opted to do a laparoscopy because I had questionable fallopian tubes.... Dr. Williams is very compassionate and explains everything in a way that's easy to understand. He truly cares about his patients.
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors [at Repro Med Surgery Ctr of VA] and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress...We had an appointment snafu as one of the receptionists didn't understand the nature of the appointment and caused me to delay an appointment. The nurses didn't call me back until hours after I left a message. When I had my laparoscopy they initially billed it has a tubal ligation and my insurance wouldn't pay.
Dr. Williams worked very hard to try to get us pregnant. Unfortunately it did not work out for us. He did go above and beyond to try to make it happen. Dr. Williams is very compassionate and explains everything in a way that's easy to understand. He truly cares about his patients.
You won't get to see him every time which is unfortunate because he is the best.
The first time I was with dr. Bateman. We did clomid days 5-9 and IUI. I ovulated but no pregnancy. Then we opted to do a laparoscopy because I had questionable fallopian tubes. I had one tube removed due to ectopic pregnancy which was conceived naturally. The next time we did letrozole and monitoring. I only produced one egg and it was on the side with no tube so we canceled. The next time we did gonal f and letrozole and I produced no follicles. We did ivf with the lupron flare protocol. I had only one egg. It didn't fertilize right away so the did rescue ICSI, but the embryo stopped growing on day 5. We did not transfer. The next time we did 150 iu of gonal f for several days along with cetrotide and letrozole. I had 2 follicles but only one egg retrieved. It fertilized and we transferred on day 3. It did not stick. Now we are changing clinics and doing donor egg.
Stephanie is amazing. She is great. Ashley is also really sweet. The other nurses are great too, but these are the ones I met with most.
We had to meet with all 3 different doctors and that resulted in a lot of confusion for us. They all had different opinions on our outcome and different recommendations on what we should try. This led to a lot of unnecessary strain and stress. We did tell them our complaints and they attempted to straighten things out but it was still terrible to get such different opinions.
They initially told us the iui would be $300 but it was closer to $500. Apparently they don't tell you all the hidden costs involved. We spent $15,000 on a two ivf cycle package plus about $4500 in medications.
No comments...only one egg retrieved each time.
We had an appointment snafu as one of the receptionists didn't understand the nature of the appointment and caused me to delay an appointment. The nurses didn't call me back until hours after I left a message. When I had my laparoscopy they initially billed it has a tubal ligation and my insurance wouldn't pay. This ended up delaying my surgery for 3 months because I didn't want to pay out of pocket. We decided to do an iui instead of surgery and then the doctor double checked a month later. By this time one surgeon was on maternity leave so it took me two months to get in for surgery.
Charlottesville
Dr. Williams was kind, authentic, and strategic. He was creative in problem solving around any setback and was a relentless advocate for me as a patient. He would regularly contact me himself (rather than a nurse) when I had questions or concerns, and clearly demonstrated himself to be fully invested in our family...He is thoughtful and relentless...After 4 unsuccessful cycles with HCG triggers, we attempted IVF unsuccessfully. We then moved to injectables with IUI and we’re successful after several attempts.
They [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you...This place is a well oiled machine. Somehow they are able to be timely and efficient while still treating everyone thoughtfully and as an individual. Their communication is top-notch and they really work with your financial needs. Beautiful offices, kind people, effective treatments.
Let him be creative. There are often many ways to treat a condition and/or navigate a challenge. He is thoughtful and relentless- just watch him do his thing, and trust as much as you can.
He regularly asked us about what was going on in our lives, remembered small details, etc. He once showed me that he has ever single photo sent to him of every baby he helped parents to conceive. I will never forget that.
After 6 months of clomid with my OB I was immediately switched to letrozol and told to do IUI do to the male factor infertility that was diagnosed at our first appointment. I also had a few other tests. After 4 unsuccessful cycles with HCG triggers, we attempted IVF unsuccessfully. We then moved to injectables with IUI and we’re successful after several attempts.
We were treated like family. They were gentle, compassionate, and kind. They read the room- we’re willing to joke and be chatty when it was right, and could also be just a calm presence when it wasn’t. They were invested and always advocates for us.
They are very up front about costs and will work within what is manageable for you. I had some insurance coverage, so I don’t remember my specific costs.
Dr. Williams regularly said “our goal is to get you ONE healthy baby.” He is cautious about multiples in terms of embryo transfers and even IUI cycles with multiple follicles, which I appreciated.
Charlottesville
He [Dr. Bateman] personally called me a number of times during our IVF cycles. We had to stop our first cycle after I had a bad reaction to cetrotide and he called me and was compassionate. When we started our next cycle and had 1 embryo he called and congratulated me which I thought was really nice...I saw all the doctors at the clinic but Dr Bateman did my egg retrieval and implantation and I fully trusted him. He knew what he was doing and he had an excellent bedside manner. He didn't mess around but you could tell he really cares about his patients.
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center] was around $10,200. Not including medications...You get passed around by the nurses because whoever is available at the time sees you or answers your calls. They did a good job throughout the process. I know they are juggling a lot of patients at a time so sometimes I felt like they may have not understood where I was in the process at times but I don't think that was their fault. It was more related to the amount of patients they see. They also knew my name and I developed a relationship with them during my course of treatment which was nice.
If you have questions, ask them. Fertility dotors sometimes assume that you know what to expect because they do it everyday. At first I thought I wasn't getting enough information but it was just because I wasn't asking questions. Dr Bateman will spend time answering your questions and making you feel better about the process.
He personally called me a number of times during our IVF cycles. We had to stop our first cycle after I had a bad reaction to cetrotide and he called me and was compassionate. When we started our next cycle and had 1 embryo he called and congratulated me which I thought was really nice.
I used gonalF, cetrotide, pregnyl during my first IVF cycle. But I had a bad reaction to the cetrotide and we had to stop the cycle because my estrogen dropped significantly. The next cycle I used the same medications except I did Lupron shots twice a day instead of the cetrotide. That ended up working.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Bonnie)
Wait times can be long in the office but that's kinda out of their control. The doctors and nurses are compassionate and they communicate well throughout the process. I wasn't a big fan of their financial person but we only had to deal with her a couple times.
Frozen egg retrieval and transfer was around $10,200. Not including medications.
I only had one embryo to transfer so this wasn't a topic of discussion.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
In the end our outcome wasn't ideal, but I was appreciative of Dr. Bateman listening to me as a patient and honoring my request... The longer I was in the clinic and the more I interacted with him, the more I realized he was genuinely invested and truly hopeful for me as a person and potential mother... I appreciated him listening to my needs and comfort level.
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient... The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it... I have no complaints with the scheduling here.
I would recommend Dr. Bateman over again. He started the fertility clinic in Charlottesville and has years of experience under his belt. He was always very knowledgable and helpful when I asked questions. I also appreciated his understanding in one of our meetings when discussing all types of interventions during IVF (ICSI, assisted hatching). My husband and I were part of the shared risk program and as a result it required us to comply with clinical recommendations. Dr. Bateman and I had a discussion about assisted hatching, pros/cons. I told Dr. Bateman I wanted minimal intervention and he understood my wishes and allowed me to choose that for our second cycle of IVF despite the recommendation to proceed with assisted hatching. I appreciated him listening to my needs and comfort level. I did proceed to get pregnant, but miscarried in the first trimester. In the end our outcome wasn't ideal, but I was appreciative of Dr. Bateman listening to me as a patient and honoring my request.
Be engaged in the process and take ownership and ask lots of questions until you understand the process, especially the medication! It is a lot to take in and keep straight and you deserve to understand everything along the way.
Dr. Bateman has a kind and gentle bedside manner. In the very beginning, I wasn't necessarily a fan. I felt he was more "old school" in his bedside manner, more hands off. However, the longer I was in the clinic and the more I interacted with him, the more I realized he was genuinely invested and truly hopeful for me as a person and potential mother. I miscarried 3 times and Dr. Bateman delivered that news to me 2 of the 3 times. He was so compassionate, to the point that I felt he was tearing up telling me the news during my last miscarriage. The clinic is very small and no one is made to feel like they are a number. The physicians and the nurses are so nice and really do want the best for you as a patient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix and Bonnie)
The nursing staff care about you as a person. They are all so kind and compassionate. They are always willing to answer questions and give you a hug when you need it. There were several times I cried in the office and they were so kind and understanding. They were always waiting with a hug. The clinic is small so no one feels like a number. The nurses were joyful when I was pregnant and sad when I miscarried. I truly felt they were engaged in my care and wanted and hoped for the best.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
The monitoring appointments were never an issue for me. They were always very accommodating to meet my needs. I never had a conflict. Any lab work had to be completed by 2pm because of their lab. So I could not come in the afternoon for lab work. However, that wasn't an issue for me but I could see that being a problem for some. Ultrasound appointments they try and schedule first thing at 8am when they open so I could get in and out. If I couldn't come in the morning, they were always able to accommodate me when I could come. I have no complaints with the scheduling here.

2012 - 2013, Successful
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He deeply understands the challenges (mental, physical, emotional) that go along with infertility treatment for couples. We felt informed and cared for at every step of the way.... Dr. Bateman specifically has a heartwarming and endearing quality which only added to our experience and instilled our confidence in him with our most precious gifts.... After first pregnancy and deciding for additional children, single vitrified embryos used for transfer. Only on first fresh cycle were 2 embryos implanted resulting in single implantation.
This is a state of the art facility. After exhausting many options of fertility treatment, we went to the UVA Reproductive Center of Virginia (about 3 hours from home) and we were not disappointed. Even needing daily appointments at time never felt like a burden driving back and forth because it was truly worth it.... [Cost of Treatment] $20,000 shared risk program. We would get money back if it did not work after 3 fresh cycles. Approximately $5,000 additional cost of medications.
Let's be honest, infertility is one of the hardest things a young couple can go through. It can have so many ripple effects. Infertility can make one feel very alone. Dr. Bateman and his staff never let us feel alone. We felt we had someone in our corner the entire way and we were all working toward our goal of having a family. I cannot say enough good things about this state of the art facility and their incredible team members. Dr. Bateman specifically has a heartwarming and endearing quality which only added to our experience and instilled our confidence in him with our most precious gifts.
Listen and trust your doctor. At the end of the day, what will be will be and you cannot change it. This center has your best interests at heart. This condition (infertility) will cause you to question everything but it is relieving to trust in someone who shows as much compassion and care as Dr. Bateman and his staff.
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He deeply understands the challenges (mental, physical, emotional) that go along with infertility treatment for couples. We felt informed and cared for at every step of the way. The staff was always available to address concerns or answer questions. We never felt alone. We are very thankful for each and every one of their team members.
Blood work to check eggs, blood work to check male health as well Check uterus/tube (hysterosalpingogram) Sperm specimen Birth control for 10 days to regulate and "control" the cycle Lupron/FSH/Gonal-F Follistim or Menopur. (injections to belly) for ovary stimulation Daily ultrasounds at clinic around ovulation to localize peak egg period Egg retrieval (21 eggs received) Ferilization (7 embros) Day 5 embro development (2 embryos implanted from fresh cycle) Embryo implantation (first time we did 2 from fresh cycle - 1 implanted resulting in 1 single birth; thereafter only 1 embryo used for vitrified embryos due to a reported higher success of implantation. Each time resulting in successful singl implant) Estrogen supplementation (oral meds) Progesterone shots continued up to 14 weeks gestation (injections to backside) Blood test 2 weeks - Beta levels, Recheck 1 wk for doubling Ultrasound at 7 weeks, and again at 9 weeks Release care to local OBGYN for pregnancy monitoring
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix RN)
Stephanie is phenomenal. She connects on a personal level with her patients and is extremely organized. She cares for her patients. She answered all questions and made herself available around the clock to calm any concerns. We are so thankful to have had her coordinate this entire process. She is wonderful.

2009 - 2013, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I had no negative experiences at all with Dr. Williams. He was knowledgeable, kind, caring and competent. He went above and beyond with helping me decide things. Most doctors would have given you the facts and then said it's up to you, but he talked the whole situation through with me on more than a medical level. He also joined me in our state's capitol to help fight negative IVF legislation, so I was thrilled to see him outside of the clinic. He was extremely compassionate towards our situation and when we miscarried.
Nothing, really. You are in good hands.
I loved Dr. Williams. I saw him for many years, so we developed a relationship along the way. My husband and I felt that he truly cared for us. He went above and beyond when I was desperate and wanted to try crazy things. We went above and beyond helping talk me through decisions. He even showed up at our state capitol building to speak out against personhood. It was great to have him there fighting with me outside of the clinic. I always felt that he treated me as an individual and was very sympathetic through our many losses.
He tailored it to me each time. I was always successful in producing many eggs, and subsequently many high quality embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Bonnie)
Overall, they did a good job, but there were a few snafus from time to time that don't seem like a big deal now, but were very upsetting to me at the time.
The clinic overall was great. The staff / billing was great. The doctors are wonderful. The nurses are great, too, but I do remember being frustrated a few times. As I said, I don't specifically remember the situation. Clearly, it wasn't that big of a deal, however it was aggravating at the time. I think it had to do with miscommunications. Overall, great and caring nursing staff.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
my experience with Dr. Smith has been wonderful despite not achieving a successful pregnant yet. The only negative I have to say is sometimes we felt like we had to push for more information or to get to the next step in our treatment ... Dr Smith always made personal decisions for our circumstance and changed protocols to best suit our needs and try to get a successful pregnancy. I truly believe Dr. Smith is invested in the success of her patients
Sometimes the financial piece [at Repro Med and Surg Ctr of VA] is difficult to understand but the financial coordinator was always available to discuss and explain. Melinda in the office is wonderful and has a warm approach to everyone there ... Our dr [Smith] highly recommends a single embryo when they are PGS tested. My husband and I pushed the envelope and insisted on two with our second transfer in the hopes of a successful implantation. While Dr. Smith did not recommend this approach she supported our decision
Trust her and be patient
We suffer with recurring fluid in our uterus for to a previous c-section. Dr Smith has adjusted our protocol to best to to eliminate this fluid. We have been through three iui cycles with various oral and injectable medications as well as two frozen transfers, one medicated, one natural. Along the way he had three canceled transfers due to the fluid build up prior to transfer
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Tara)
All of the nurses are kind and caring
Sometimes the financial piece is difficult to understand but the financial coordinator was always available to discuss and explain. Melinda in the office is wonderful and has a warm approach to everyone there
IVF was approximately $20,000, IUIs are around $1000, transfer was $3000
Our dr highly recommends a single embryo when they are PGS tested. My husband and I pushed the envelope and insisted on two with our second transfer in the hopes of a successful implantation. While Dr. Smith did not recommend this approach she supported our decision
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman was attentive to my questions, any and all of them. He explained any thing that I needed clarified. Dr. Bateman showed compassion, but also gave me the medical information I needed. The office was welcoming and well organized. My husband was included in conversations as well...Initially, I had surgery due to endometriosis, followed by some attempts with Letrizole. Afterwards trying Letrizole with IUI. This was done twice. Then IUI with injectibles, followed by ivf.
The success or refund program [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is costly, but an insurance of sorts...Due to additional risks with multiples, this clinic always recommends a single transfer...Just a pleasant place to be. At times, I had questions but the clinic is very good at what they do. Often, there are written instructions to support verbal ones. Training was available for the more complex items. Nurses let me rephrase my responsibilities.
Patience is hard, but a necessary part of the process. Keep moving forward, the clinic is highly successful and gives good information along the way.
They knew my name, always available to answer questions and outwardly showed compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Brittany)
So so good to me. I would talk to her when ever I had questions. Some of the best blood draws I've ever had. They were available via email and phone, readily.
The success or refund program is costly, but an insurance of sorts. The information is available is available from the clinic.

2018 - 2019, Consult
Dr. Smith went over the details and answered all of my questions. We were not ready to move forward because of another unrelated health issue, but Dr. Smith continued to answer my questions and help prepare us for when we are ready. She could have directed us to return when ready, but she patiently walked us through everything. I left her office with an understanding of the process, specific answers to our questions after initial consult/exams, and comfort knowing she genuinely cares.
The facility and staff [Reproductive Med and Surg Ctr of VA] were above average. A feeling of comfort radiates throughout the clinic. Everything is clean and orderly, and the people are knowledgeable and caring. While I haven't started a cycle, I have no hesitation about this clinic....The nurses were patient and kind. They explained everything they were doing, asked if I was okay, and worked with professionalism and care. They were all pleasant.
Ask any questions you may have. She is knowledgeable, comforting, and caring.
I was very nervous and hesitant before my consult and initial exam(s), but Dr. Smith and her staff were kind and courteous. While we were not ready to move forward at the time (due to an unrelated health issue), we feel they truly care and want to help us when we are ready.
I have only had my initial consult and exam. We had another health issue to overcome, and are now addressing financial concerns before we proceed.
The facility and staff were above average. A feeling of comfort radiates throughout the clinic. Everything is clean and orderly, and the people are knowledgeable and caring. While I haven't started a cycle, I have no hesitation about this clinic. Once we are financially prepared, I trust this clinic to be with me on this journey.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Smith has a great bedside manner, explains things in detail, and always has a plan for next steps... I would recommend Dr Smith to anyone. She has so much knowledge and always has a plan of treatment even when things don’t go as planned. She is kind and empathetic but also straight forward in presenting all the details in an understandable way.... I was diagnosed with endometriosis so we started monthly injections of Lipton
The nurse coordinators and staff [Reproductive Med and Surgery Ctr of VA] are so kind and return calls very quickly... Good communicators. Easy scheduling. They handle all communication with insurance and billing very quickly. Office is clean and tranquil. Office staff know exact pricing for procedures if insurance does not cover them.... Ovulation ultrasounds around $200, trigger shots $180, clomid $20... I think each cycle costs around $500 for clomid, shots and monitoring.
Just to seek her out as a doctor really. Beyond that they are in good hands
I was diagnosed with endometriosis so we started monthly injections of Lipton to suppress my system until we were ready to start treatments. We agreed to two rounds of clomid before going to something more intensive. After the Lupron my period didn’t return so I went in for an scan and I was ovulating. She suggested clomid and trigger shots for the first round. That was not successful. The second cycle we had a false positive ovulation and then a second late ovulation with clomid which was a successful cycle, resulting in the pregnancy and birth of our daughter in 2018
The nurse coordinators and staff are so kind and return calls very quickly
Ovulation ultrasounds around $200, trigger shots $180, clomid $20, I can’t remember all the costs but I think each cycle costs around $500 for clomid, shots and monitoring.
No comments

2007 - 2017, Unsuccessful
When I was told that I only had two eggs to retrieve, Dr. Bateman was realistic with his expectations but also gave me hope with stories of women who only needed one egg to conceive. His bedside manner and reassurance was very comforting. He held my hand when I was upset and explained everything in detail. He is an older doctor so I think that it is easy to stereotype, but he certainly knows what he is doing.
The clinic [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA] is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.... The nursing staff are very kind, however in my most recent IVF attempts it was hard to get hold of them through email. Once Bonnie retired, Stephanie was obviously overwhelmed, but I felt this impacted my care.
Ask lots of questions, whatever they may be or how silly they seem.
He was realistic, down to earth and very sensitive to my needs.
The 9 IUIs that I tried between 2007-2010 included clomid and injections. These resulted in one chemical pregnancy and one ectopic pregnancy. Unfortunately, the ectopic came after we had our best results with 5 potential eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Bonnie and Stephanie )
The clinic is very clean, neat and cheery. The office manager is a wonderful lady and easy to work with. They are very willing to work with your schedule and make sure appointment times will work for each patient.
15,000, but additional 25,000 with IVF after that
We did not get this far.

2008 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Williams] was very thoughtful and caring. He responds quickly by email and by phone. He took over an hour to speak to my husband and I by phone so that we would not have to return to the clinic for another appointment. He seems to genuinely care about us and wants what is best, but is open and honest about our chances...He made this process so much easier for us by being available whenever we had questions. He never seemed rushed to move on to another appointment and always made us feel like we had his undivided attention.
So far our treatment plan [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs...Our current cycle will be $12,000 with ICSI included. However that does not include medications or my husband's TESE procedure or genetic testing....Everyone is extremely friendly, helpful and quick to answer questions. They are like family! You know you've made some friends when you call the receptionist and they know your backstory and your name without even asking it. I feel safe and comforted by this clinic.
Be open and communicate all of your questions/fears, etc. He will be open and honest with you.
He was very thoughtful and caring. He responds quickly by email and by phone. He took over an hour to speak to my husband and I by phone so that we would not have to return to the clinic for another appointment. He seems to genuinely care about us and wants what is best, but is open and honest about our chances.
I am in the process of getting ready for an IVF treatment now, but we will be doing a frozen embryo transfer. In the past he helped with IUI treatments both with Clomid and injections.
So far our treatment plan has been done through email/phone communication and our nurse has been very quick to respond thoughtfully to all questions and try to accommodate our needs.
We have not gotten to this part of treatment yet.