9.7

114 Nationwide Dr
Lynchburg, VA 24502
1820 West Plaza Drive
Winchester, VA 22601

Dr. Smith initially suggested a semen analysis from my husband, which we did just prior to our consultation so that we had those results available. We also did an ultrasound at my initial appointment to check the uterus, ovaries, and count ovarian reserve...She took the time to look into my medical history and research what was going on in order to attempt to find a solution to why I had failed to successfully conceive...Afterwards, we did a variety of blood tests to check for antibodies and average levels for fertility, and finally an HSG was ordered to make sure my Fallopian tubes weren’t blocked and to check to uterine abnormalities.
RSMCVA is phenomenal for anyone struggling to conceive. I love that they don’t require a wait time (or failure to conceive for over 12 months) prior to scheduling a consultation. They were upfront about what we could expect and what they recommended without pushing a specific option...Each nurse that I met was phenomenal (I couldn’t remember them, but they recognized me and remembered details about me and my situation/family). They were caring and compassionate, and very good at their jobs.
How was your experience with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr. Smith is absolutely fantastic. She is thorough and fully explains her reasoning behind each procedure and decision that she makes, while never forgetting that this is about helping a PERSON build their family. She is phenomenal and I will 100% vouch for her anytime I can.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Understand your cycle and what it is you want to achieve when you schedule your appointment. Once she understands what you want to do, Dr. Smith will go to work.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
She was the first doctor to take me seriously. When I made my appointment, I didn’t tell her why I was there—that I had had recurrent early pregnancy loss in each cycle for the last several cycles—and yet she was prepared when I walked in for my appointment. She took the time to look into my medical history and research what was going on in order to attempt to find a solution to why I had failed to successfully conceive.
Describe the protocols Laura Smith used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
Dr. Smith initially suggested a semen analysis from my husband, which we did just prior to our consultation so that we had those results available. We also did an ultrasound at my initial appointment to check the uterus, ovaries, and count ovarian reserve. Afterwards, we did a variety of blood tests to check for antibodies and average levels for fertility, and finally an HSG was ordered to make sure my Fallopian tubes weren’t blocked and to check to uterine abnormalities.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Describe your experience with Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Laura Smith at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
We have tricare insurance, and all diagnostic tests were covered, so I had zero out of pocket costs
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman has a very good bedside manner, he explained everything before the treatment as well as what was going on throughout the transfer(IUI insemination). He listened to my concerns as I was set on only trying 3 rounds of IUI treatments before taking a break from treatments. Therefore the last round he changed the protocol for a higher chance of conceiving. Dr. Bateman understood and didn't try to change my mind to take a break from the next step of treatments (IVF). He was always hopeful and positive coming into the room at every appointment. I am appreciative of him throughout this journey.
This office [RMSC] is clean, nice staff, friendly greetings everytime you sign in. Normally the wait time isn't very long. And appointment times were always times that I could adjust around my work schedule. The only thing is I wish they would see patients in the Lynchburg office where I did my original consult. ... Kari was an exceptional nurse, I seem her most of the time going there she was very kind and helpful. I seen most of the nurses and liked them all! Everyone showed compassion and cared about their jobs. ...
How was your experience with Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Trust him and be open about your concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr. Bateman explained all treatment options in a way I could understand. Especially since this was all new and like a foreign language to me.He was very nice and understanding with all of my questions/concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Kari)
This office is clean, nice staff, friendly greetings everytime you sign in. Normally the wait time isn't very long. And appointment times were always times that I could adjust around my work schedule. The only thing is I wish they would see patients in the Lynchburg office where I did my original consult.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Bruce Bateman (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
My insurance paid for my medications/shots resulting in a significant savings- $600 to $61 each the first two rounds. Each ultrasound to check follicles-$179. First two IUI procedures $624. Medications/shots third round $2300 insurance covered all but $61. Ultrasound/bloodwork $243 and last IUI $867 due to new protocol.

2014 - 2019, Successful
Bruce [Dr. Bateman] is a sweet, gentle man. He is methodical and explains his treatment plan clearly. He always offered tissues when I cried and showed compassion when treatment was different than expected or we faced hard stuff. He is smart and thoughtful...we resumed Clomid 150mg and I produced too many follicles (6-8) and Dr. Bateman said it was too many to proceed. Too high a risk of multiples. So we shut down treatment and I took Prometrium to bring a period. When I got my period and had my ultrasound, my ovary had a large cyst. I was prescribed Loestrin birth control for two weeks.
[The nurses at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia are] great! They were kind and attentive and always called back promptly after leaving messages on the nurse line...IUI cycles with drugs were about $800...They are so organized and never have too many patients at once. They’re prompt and your appointment is always within 15 minutes of arriving. You can’t ever call too many times and they will always answer your questions. You do have to double check payment totals sometimes. I just always double check what I owe.
Bruce is a sweet, gentle man. He is methodical and explains his treatment plan clearly. He always offered tissues when I cried and showed compassion when treatment was different than expected or we faced hard stuff. He is smart and thoughtful.
Be patient.
Dr. Bateman is very structured and organized in his approach and goes through each step in a methodical way. His delivery helps you know he cares and he treated me in a calm, warm way.
Describe the protocols Bruce Bateman (retired) used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
My first round of treatment with Dr. Bateman was in 2014. I started with a consult in September. I took Progesterone to get a period and then we did Clomid 100mg in October. I didn’t ovulate. I did Clomid 150mg in November and ovulated on day 17. We did an IUI on day 18 and I got pregnant. I delivered a healthy baby boy in August 2015. We started treatment again to try for another child in February 2018. I had a consult in February. After the bloodwork, I started on Levothyroxine 25mcg for a underactive thyroid. TSH level was 2.5 and they wanted it below for decreased risk of miscarriage. I then started with Letrozole 7.5mg for 5 days (day 5-9). We did this because I had been ovulating on Clomid with my primary OBGYN and had done one IUI in their office. I produced follicles and took a trigger shot and ovulated. We did an IUI. I didn’t get pregnant. In March, we did the same Letrozole treatment on 7.5mg for 5 days (day 5-9) and I triggered and ovulated and did another IUI. I didn’t get pregnant. In April we moved back to Clomid 150mg on days 3-7. I produced follicles, triggered, and did an IUI. I didn’t get pregnant. In May and June we didn’t the same thing with Clomid days 3-7, trigger, and IUI. I didn’t get pregnant. We took off July-September for work trips and a vacation. In October, we resumed Clomid 150mg and I produced too many follicles (6-8) and Dr. Bateman said it was too many to proceed. Too high a risk of multiples. So we shut down treatment and I took Prometrium to bring a period. When I got my period and had my ultrasound, my ovary had a large cyst. I was prescribed Loestrin birth control for two weeks. At my next ultrasound, in November, ovaries looked fine. I got a period, and started 100mg Clomid days 4-8 and then two days of Gonal-F shots. I produced follicles, triggered, ovulated, and did my 6th IUI. I didn’t get pregnant. In December, we did 6 days of Gonal-F shots of 87.5 units each. I produced follicles and triggered and did our 7th IUI. I got pregnant and had good numbers for both of my beta HCG blood tests. I carried to 11.5 weeks and then miscarried in March of 2019. I saw Dr. Bateman in April for a consult and we decided to wait for a period and do another HSG test to check my tubes and uterus. Waiting on my period now.
They’re great! They were kind and attentive and always called back promptly after leaving messages on the nurse line.
It’s expensive! IUI cycles with drugs were about $800. Shots for the Nov/Dec. cycles were $500-700. Clomid was about $30. Thyroid meds are $4/month. Ultrasounds were $80-180.
What specific things went wrong at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
One time i was given conflicting information between what was said at the office and what was said on the phone. It was easily fixed.
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman was always realistic with my husband and I. He never made any promises he couldn’t keep. When I had bleeding early in my pregnancy he had me come to the office right away to make sure the baby and I were both ok. He even called me a few days later to check on me...will never get mad or annoyed for asking too many questions. He wants you to feel involved in your own care.
The front staff [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] is very friendly and do a great job of working with your work schedule as far as scheduling your appointments. The clinic nurses were nice, but some days they appeared rushed. One of the IVF corrdinators was very friendly and always willing to asnwer any questions I had. The other IVF coordinator had a tendency to act as if I was bothering her with questions or concerns.
If you ever have any questions along the way, ask them. Dr. Bateman will never get mad or annoyed for asking too many questions. He wants you to feel involved in your own care.
Dr. Bateman always made it a point to ask me how my husband and I were feeling emotionally. He never treated us like just another number or another couple. He individualized his care to make us feel like we were the only couple he was caring for.
Clomid- no negative results, but no pregnancy. Gonal F- no negative results, pregnancy Lupron- no negative results, pregnancy Estradiol- no negative results, pregnancy HCG- no negative results, pregnancy
The nursing staff was mostly friendly, some more than others. I was given the work phone number for one of the nurses (which she told me to use if I ever had any questions or concerns while cycling) and she always acted like I was bothering her. It made me apprehensive to reach out.
The front staff is very friendly and do a great job of working with your work schedule as far as scheduling your appointments. The clinic nurses were nice, but some days they appeared rushed. One of the IVF corrdinators was very friendly and always willing to asnwer any questions I had. The other IVF coordinator had a tendency to act as if I was bothering her with questions or concerns.
For fertility medications, egg retrieval, genetic testing, and embryo transfer we paid at least $26,000.
Describe Bruce Bateman (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Dr. Bateman advise my husband and I that because our infertility was due to a sperm based issue we should only implant one embryo at a time.
Charlottesville

Dr.Williams does everything in his power to make your dream a reality. If you have a set back he is right there with you and helps you every step of the way and ensures you that we still have many options and things ahead and that we will indeed get there.... I have PCOS, therefore my FSH (follicle stimulating horomone) is not strong enough to make my eggs grow to the size they need to be without help from medications therefore we tried clomid no luck, femara no luck, went to Gonal F up to the highest does and overstimulated so then we knew where our dosage was.
The clinic [RMSC] is FANTASTIC! They are so well rounded and the people are so great. Make sure to stay on top of your insurance and if they cover and what you may owe so you arent surprised with major bills. Other than that please see this clinic and let them help on your journey!... They are the best and anytime I called and was worried or didnt understand or had questions they were always there even if they had to call you back. They are so compassionate and loving! They really make you feel like you are part of a family not a doctors office.
How was your experience with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Listen and follow everything Dr.Williams says. He has done this so long and helped so many people he surely knows everything to help you get to where you need to be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr.Williams is so great and he is there to make your dreams a reality. He looks into every situation and works with you in all things that you are trying to do. An amazing doctor for sure!
Describe the protocols Christopher Williams used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
I have PCOS, therefore my FSH (follicle stimulating horomone) is not strong enough to make my eggs grow to the size they need to be without help from medications therefore we tried clomid no luck, femara no luck, went to Gonal F up to the highest does and overstimulated so then we knew where our dosage was. Treated again ovulated but a negative pregnancy test.
AMAZING! They are the best and anytime I called and was worried or didnt understand or had questions they were always there even if they had to call you back. They are so compassionate and loving! They really make you feel like you are part of a family not a doctors office.
The clinic is FANTASTIC! They are so well rounded and the people are so great. Make sure to stay on top of your insurance and if they cover and what you may owe so you arent surprised with major bills. Other than that please see this clinic and let them help on your journey!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Christopher Williams at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Most insurance like mine do not cover any fertility items. Therefore everything was out of pocket. Medications alone are so expensive. We are just currently finishing Gonal injections with normal ovulation and intercourse. Last year alone we have put about $6000 into these treatments and we are not even to IUI or IVF yet. So please be prepared for the cost and process of cost.
Charlottesville

She [Dr. Laura Smith] was very compassionate and understanding. Since she is so busy it was hard to communicate with her in a timely manner or set follow up appointments in a timely manner. I guess that's what happens when you are really good, you become too popular. I would still recommend her though. She is a great in person communicator...We tried injections to grow follicles, estrogen pills to try to build my uterine lining, and IUI to help with my husband's fair semen numbers. Unfortunately, by the last round of IUI, my follicles stopped growing and my lining wouldn't thicken. Her next suggestions were surgery to see if my tubes are blocked, then IVF or gestational carrier with IVF.
Because the doctors were quickly skimming charts, a doctor [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] didn't notice the accurate results from a previous test. I reminded them of the actual results and they looked back to find the correct information. Also, I was told I would immediately get follow up information on the portal and did not receive it for a long time...During the IUI process, I paid roughly 300 per visit and visited every few days for ultrasounds I was out of pocket for most expenditures.
She was very compassionate and understanding. Since she is so busy it was hard to communicate with her in a timely manner or set follow up appointments in a timely manner. I guess that's what happens when you are really good, you become too popular. I would still recommend her though. She is a great in person communicator.
Be patient and make sure you have lots of free time to try to schedule with her.
She understood my schedule. She knew we had to keep trying until we had dialed in on a correct course, while other doctor's just wanted to move on. She was very kind and understanding throughout the process.
They usually remembered me and were very kind.
They are a well oiled machine, but they are also exceptionally busy. Prepare to build your schedule around it. They will randomly assign your doctor based on their rotation which can sometimes make it difficult for them to have met to discuss a plan for you.
Because the doctors were quickly skimming charts, a doctor didn't notice the accurate results from a previous test. I reminded them of the actual results and they looked back to find the correct information. Also, I was told I would immediately get follow up information on the portal and did not receive it for a long time.
2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Bateman's level of expertise is bar none. He explained everything to my husband and I in detail and we were always prepared for the next step. Struggling with infertility is a very emotional journey and Dr. Bateman was with us ever step of the way displaying compassion, empathy and understanding. After seeing multiple reproductive specialist, we know what a blessing being Dr. Bateman's patient is and wouldn't entrust our care to anyone else.
Brittany [nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] was amazing! She was so explanative and checked-in with us regularly. She was super helpful and always a positive presence to be around...The administrative staff is always so warm and welcoming. All the nurses are professional and kind. Not to mention they have great hands when it comes to taking blood. All the practitioners are the best in the business with extensive experience and great bedside manners. You really can't get better!
You can be vulnerable with Dr. Bateman--he is so supportive and will be with you every step of the way.
Dr. Bateman explained everything to my husband and I in a way that we understood and with great compassion. We learned some much about fertility and the factors that play into it from him, despite seeing a few other reproductive specialists before him. We truly wish we would have found him sooner.
My husband and I underwent thorough testing/screening processes with Dr. Bateman prior to beginning our treatment and to explore our options. We were then diagnosed with unexplained infertility. Dr. Bateman suggested we start with Gonal-F and IUI first and if that didn't work, we would move to IVF given the number of years we were trying to get pregnant. Dr. Bateman then prescribed me Synthroid due to research showing that my TSH level could result in a miscarriage. We also did genetic testing with Dr. Bateman to ensure we had all the information we could prior to beginning treatment. I then used 150 IU of Gonal-F on days 5-7 and went for blood testing and an ultrasound on day 8. A couple days later we did the trigger shot and went in to Dr. Bateman's office for the IUI. To our excitement, we got a positive pregnancy test a few weeks later. Three year and a beautiful daughter later, we are seeing Dr. Bateman again in hopes to give her a sibling.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Brittany )
Brittany was amazing! She was so explanative and checked-in with us regularly. She was super helpful and always a positive presence to be around.
Every staff member at the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia is first class. The administrative staff is always so warm and welcoming. All the nurses are professional and kind. Not to mention they have great hands when it comes to taking blood. All the practitioners are the best in the business with extensive experience and great bedside manners. You really can't get better!
2013 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Bateman is a true professional in every sense of the word. He understands the physical and mental burden of infertility. I could confide in him for medical and emotional support whenever needed.... Dr. Bateman is by far the most compassionate doctor we have ever met and is such a great mentor for such a sensitive subject.... Going back to 2013 there was several medical procedures conducted to ensure she was healthy for egg retrieval and pregnancy. During the egg retrieval she was closely monitored for "overstimulation."
You are literally guided through the whole process and reassured along the way. While I understand not everyone receives the best results, you can assure this clinic [RMSC] is 100% equipped and informed to address the most complicated of cases.... Stephanie was phenomenal. She as well understands the struggle of infertility and shared in our highs (mostly highs with UVA) and lows when coming to the facility. She relayed the results to us over phone calls
Never knowing what to expect and never anticipating we would be in that situation, I never felt alone. Which is ironic considering infertility makes one feel quite isolated. No one in either of our families has infertility issues. Our infertility was always unexplained which added to the frustration. Dr. Bateman's clinic is a top notch facility. Knowing what we've tried and how long we've been trying prior to IVF, our doctors and nurses came up with a plan and stuck to it. We understand we are blessed and could not be more thankful for our miracles. Dr. Bateman is by far the most compassionate doctor we have ever met and is such a great mentor for such a sensitive subject.
Listen to your doctor.
As the spouse I was my wife's nurse through the treatment. Going back to 2013 there was several medical procedures conducted to ensure she was healthy for egg retrieval and pregnancy. During the egg retrieval she was closely monitored for "overstimulation." Once the correct day was targeted, we were called in for retrieval. The eggs were fertilized and at day 3 were not ideal for transfer so we opted for 5 days. On our first transfer, 2 embryos were used, one of which took resulting in a single birth. The following times, with vitrified embryos, single embryos were used each resulting in single births. We plan to discuss options of remaining embryos in the months to come.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie Barrix)
Stephanie was phenomenal. She as well understands the struggle of infertility and shared in our highs (mostly highs with UVA) and lows when coming to the facility. She relayed the results to us over phone calls and visits and even provided personal contact info where she could be reached at all times of the day knowing what we were going through.
You are literally guided through the whole process and reassured along the way. While I understand not everyone receives the best results, you can assure this clinic is 100% equipped and informed to address the most complicated of cases.
$20,000 shared risk program + $5,000 medications
I felt they were rationale and we adhered to the doctor and nurse's recommendation to avoid multiple births.
Charlottesville

Cash pay IUI was $395 [at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] then I had to pay $89 for an ultrasound visit following my cycle...Make sure you validate EXACTLY what your insurance will and will not cover before starting treatment...They [nurses] were the best. Caring and kind, no matter who you were with. Very professional and efficient. They answered all my questions and if I ever had to call, were prompt to return my calls
He is so very kind. He will continue to explain the procedures and talk through all of your options. I never once felt like I was being forced to make a certain decision. He was supportive of us along the way. We appreciated his candor and sense of humor.
Don’t be afraid to ask him any questions, especially if you are uncomfortable. He is very open and honest and never laughs at any questions.
Dr. Bateman is such a kind man with a good sense of humor. This is an emotionally taxing experience and he takes it all in stride while explaining the options available to you.
Due to the fact that the majority of my family has not had any problems getting pregnant, Dr. Bateman started us off, after an HSG test shows my ovaries weren’t blocked, with letrozole medicine and timed intercourse. He adjust the dosage of my hypothyroidism medication as well. After 3 cycles of just letrozole and timed intercourse, we decided to progress to IUI’s. Toward the last IUI, my husband was referred to a male fertility specialist. His testosterone was found to be low and he was put on medication. We decided to stop treatment at that time due to the fact that we can’t afford IVF which is the next procedure we wanted to pursue.
They were the best. Caring and kind, no matter who you were with. Very professional and efficient. They answered all my questions and if I ever had to call, were prompt to return my calls
Make sure you validate EXACTLY what your insurance will and will not cover before starting treatment. Anytime you are there for a visit, do not feel shy about asking why you’re being charged or have them explain the bill.
Cash pay IUI was $395 then I had to pay $89 for an ultrasound visit following my cycle. Before we did our first IUI, our diagnostic tests were covered by insurance.
Charlottesville

Dr. Bateman explained there are sometimes things inside that we cannot see without surgery. He felt we would be better candidates for IVF after 4 failed IUIs...laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility"...He looked at every detail of my health record to explore why my husband and I were not having successful attempts. He told me several times throughout, "we are going to have a baby" (my husband and I).
The entire nursing team at the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA is excellent! I called in countless times to ask questions regarding my treatment plan, medications and just to seek assurance about my situation. Every nurse handled my case with care, compassion and honesty. They made this entire situation much easier to handle...Upon entering the clinic, you immediately feel a sense of peace and acceptance. From the nurses, to the office staff and Doctors. Everyone was caring, compassionate and on board with trying to find an answer and solution . Dr. Bateman laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility".
Dr. Bateman was WONDERFUL! He provided me with verbal and written information at each visit re: my treatment plan and what to expect. He created a safe environment where I felt comfortable expressing myself and my concerns. He looked at every detail of my health record to explore why my husband and I were not having successful attempts. He told me several times throughout, "we are going to have a baby" (my husband and I).
Trust in his judgement and ability to provide the best care possible. He is dedicated to helping those in need achieve their dreams of having a child.
I never thought I would need to see a fertility specialist. My husband and I were married in 2014. After a year of marriage, we wanted to expand our family. I stopped using birth control measures, at that time. A year later, we were still not pregnant. I followed up with my Gynecologist, being unsure as to why. We received little insight. I self referred to the Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of VA. Of course, I was nervous and unsure of what to expect. Upon entering the clinic, you immediately feel a sense of peace and acceptance. From the nurses, to the office staff and Doctors. Everyone was caring, compassionate and on board with trying to find an answer and solution . Dr. Bateman laughed with me, allowed me to cry and comforted me as I struggled with the diagnosis "unexplained infertility".
I had 4 IUIs in total while receiving care at the fertility clinic. My first two were with Clomid, only. The third we tried Letrozole and lastly I used Letrozole and Injections. My body responded appropriately to all medications used. My husbands sperm count and motility was excellent, Unfortunately, there was no true explanation as to why we were not getting pregnant. Dr. Bateman explained there are sometimes things inside that we cannot see without surgery. He felt we would be better candidates for IVF after 4 failed IUIs.
I would refer anyone who needs fertility assistance to this center. I could not imagine going anywhere else. There was not one thing that I could find wrong with the care I received at this facility.
I had to pay for my IUIs, medications and ultrasounds out of pocket as VA is a state where fertility treatment is not covered under insurance plans. I paid close to $3000 for my care.
This does not apply to me.
2017, Unknown Success
I was very nervous at first with all of the initial questions and paperwork. But once meeting Dr. Smith, she calmed me down and broke things down for both my husband and myself. She explained the process and the tests and referred me to two other specialists to get cleared and informed about my condition and risks.... I was tested for PCOS. I had all of the characteristics of this, but it was never diagnosed. Dr. Smith completed an ultrasound
They [RMSC] are warm, supportive and welcoming. They knew their information and if you had a question they didn't know the answer to, they found it out for you. They also helped fill out forms, sent the forms I advance and were very professional about the whole thing.... The genetic testing was around 500 dollars, the lab work was around 200 dollars, the ultrasound was around 300 dollars and I do not remember the cost of the dye test. I also had to pay copays not only at the center for Dr. Smith
Be patient. It is a process, and you might not get the immediate results you want. Take a breath or break when needed.
She was down to earth, told it like it was, but told me also that there was hope. She was complete and made you feel comfortable and explained things in a manner that was easily understood.
I was tested for PCOS. I had all of the characteristics of this, but it was never diagnosed. Dr. Smith completed an ultrasound, bloodwork, and a dye test to make sure my tubes were open. We talked about my age and risk factors as well as genetic screening. My husband was not so happy about having to provide his information and do his testing, but we were able to complete that at my local Ob/gyn. After receiving the diagnosis, I asked what are my chances of getting pregnant at my age with my health problems...and she was supportive but also told me the truth that it was a process and it takes time. We started with metformin, then moved to metformin and clomid. We are now looking at other medications and talking about IUI.
They were welcoming and supportive and helped get information when needed and sent records where they needed to go.
They are warm, supportive and welcoming. They knew their information and if you had a question they didn't know the answer to, they found it out for you. They also helped fill out forms, sent the forms I advance and were very professional about the whole thing.
I had to pay everything out of pocket. The genetic testing was around 500 dollars, the lab work was around 200 dollars, the ultrasound was around 300 dollars and I do not remember the cost of the dye test. I also had to pay copays not only at the center for Dr. Smith, but then also the two specialists she referred me to. Infertility is not covered under my insurance plan, so I even had to pay out of pocket for medication.
Describe Laura Smith's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
None at this time.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
You may have to tell him you want the hard truth. Dr. Williams doesn’t like to jump to IVF which is great but for my condition that seemed to be the only route and Dr. Bateman is actually the one who told us this...First a surgery was done to remove my chocolate cysts then we tried naturally for a few months but my endometriosis returned aggressively so we tried IUI then moved onto IVF. My endo causes my ovaries to “kiss” therefore it would make it almost impossible to conceive naturally. We opted to do an egg retrieval to freeze eggs and do a fresh transfer.
I love the nursing staff at Martha Jefferson [Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia]...The doctors seem to encourage single transfers due to the possibility of twins or other multiples and feels like pressure to only do one egg. We chose to do 2 for our fresh transfer which still resulted in 0 babies...Very comfortable small office with excellent staff. We did experience a very long wait past our appointment time however we received a call that the appointment would be at no cost because of this wait which we appreciated very much.
Dr.Williams was straight forward with us but always optimistic. He made sure we understood the process we went through. He not only addressed our infertility issues but worked to subside the pain brought on by my endometriosis. I always felt comfortable with Dr. Williams
Dr.Williams always tried to help us keep a positive outlook and when my retrieval resulted in an infection which landed me in UVA he made sure I had the best care.
I love the nursing staff at Martha Jefferson.
Over 10,000
Describe Christopher Williams's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
The doctors seem to encourage single transfers due to the possibility of twins or other multiples and feels like pressure to only do one egg. We chose to do 2 for our fresh transfer which still resulted in 0 babies. I feel like the doctors need to understand 2 babies would be better than never having one...at least for some people.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
After 11 years of unexplained infertility Dr. Smith took the time to look at my records and listen to me. After my first visit she suspected endometriosis....She did my surgery less than a month later and sure enough I have moderate endometriosis.... She spotted my thyroid issue in my first visit from my prior records I brought. I had only been diagnosed a few months prior but my records indicated it was an issue for over 10 years. She also diagnosed my endometriosis and peformed surgery for it.
I favor Dr. Smith in the practice. I feel she understands me best. They [RMSC] are not pushy like other clinics who told me I needed IVF to get pregnant. They look for all possible issues and treat at a rate you are comfortable with. I chose endometriosis surgery and that helped me get pregnant naturally when another clinic told me IF I had that surgery wouldn't matter.... Ultrasound during treatment not covered by insurance were $175
Dr. Smith is amazing! She spotted my thyroid issue in my first visit from my prior records I brought. I had only been diagnosed a few months prior but my records indicated it was an issue for over 10 years. She also diagnosed my endometriosis and peformed surgery for it. That was also missed/ignored by 2 other clinics. She has called me personally multiples times to discuss my plan.
Make an appt ASAP! She is amazing.
After 11 years of unexplained infertility Dr. Smith took the time to look at my records and listen to me. After my first visit she suspected endometriosis. The doctors I saw in the past would blow me off when I brought this up. She did my surgery less than a month later and sure enough I have moderate endometriosis. I have gotten pregnant twice since then but unfortunately both resulted in MMC. She has been wondeful in working with me to find the cause.
I favor Dr. Smith in the practice. I feel she understands me best. They are not pushy like other clinics who told me I needed IVF to get pregnant. They look for all possible issues and treat at a rate you are comfortable with. I chose endometriosis surgery and that helped me get pregnant naturally when another clinic told me IF I had that surgery wouldn't matter.
Ultrasound during treatment not covered by insurance were $175

2018 - 2019, 2 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Bateman's] sort of quiet whereas I’m chatty. So that’s a little awkward at times. But he’s warm and friendly and I really feel like he’s “in my corner” and wants this to go well. We’ve only done 1 cycle and not many eggs were retrieved or frozen unfortunately. I’m eager to consult with him to see if he wants to change protocols for the next round or.not...He won’t overwhelm you with information but will gladly answer your questions...
[The nurses at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia are] Very organized and very nice. They call back quickly and are so wonderful about answering my many questions...I’m doing the EggSafe30 program which is $14,000 for earlier or 30 eggs frozen or 5 cycles. That doesn’t include medicine which is about $2500-3000 per cycle so far...They are so incredibly efficient. I’m in and out very quickly, especially for the daily checkups during stim. It’s. 15 minute affair for ultrasound and bloodwork. And they schedule all my weekend appointments and procedures happily.
He’s sort of quiet whereas I’m chatty. So that’s a little awkward at times. But he’s warm and friendly and I really feel like he’s “in my corner” and wants this to go well. We’ve only done 1 cycle and not many eggs were retrieved or frozen unfortunately. I’m eager to consult with him to see if he wants to change protocols for the next round or.not. My friends gave me glowing reviews of him before I met him, which was very encouraging.
Be sure to ask all your questions. He won’t overwhelm you with information but will gladly answer your questions.
He was just kind and talked to me. He jokes and has a positive attitude.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie and Tara )

IUI With Other Docs
Out of 23 eggs retrieved, 12 survived day 4, and only 3 survived day 5 [with Dr. Bruce Bateman]. All three were sent for pgs, two came back viable. Both were transferred. I now have one beautiful baby boy...He was very warm and knowledgeable. He didn’t just tell me what I wanted to hear, but even when given bad news, he still made me feel cared about. He truly cared about the outcome, and he wanted me to have a baby almost as much as I wanted one too. I wasn’t just a number to him or just another patient. He was called completely focused on me and my husband at our appointments and wasn’t distracted at all.
She [nurse at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] was always in communication with me. If I had questions, she would call me right back after leaving a message...There were certain tests that were out of pocket to start and unavoidable if you wanted to start the program...They did their best to help with lowering the cost to make them affordable...If they don’t know the answer to something, they will go out of their way to find it and not just tell you to find someone else or call back later. They also do everything they can to help with billing and insurances. They know insurance doesn’t cover it, so they minimize the costs on their end to help.
He was very warm and compassionate. I truly loved him as a doctor. You go into your appointment feeling as though you are the only patient he has ever had. He was attentive and made everything understandable. I would recommend him to anyone trying to conceive. You won’t be disappointed.
Be open and honest with him. He will be honest with you about his feelings and beliefs in your course of treatment. He truly wants you to have a baby.
I was given multiple shots, sometimes daily at different times of the day. I was also given certain pills I needed to take at certain times. When retrieval came, I went in, they put me under anesthesia and woke me up a short time later. Almost a month later we did transfer with icsi and did pgs. Out of 23 eggs retrieved, 12 survived day 4, and only 3 survived day 5. All three were sent for pgs, two came back viable. Both were transferred. I now have one beautiful baby boy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Stephanie )
She was always in communication with me. If I had questions, she would call me right back after leaving a message, and she was always try nice.
Sometimes they were very busy, but when in the office, you were always their only priority. You never feel just like a number. All of their staff are very knowledgeable and friendly. If they don’t know the answer to something, they will go out of their way to find it and not just tell you to find someone else or call back later. They also do everything they can to help with billing and insurances. They know insurance doesn’t cover it, so they minimize the costs on their end to help.
There were certain tests that were out of pocket to start and unavoidable if you wanted to start the program. They were to ensure your health and were vital. They did their best to help with lowering the cost to make them affordable. IVF was very expensive, and I wish it was cheaper so I could do it again, but I am very thankful for the outcome I received.
Please trust them. The science has shown that 5 day frozen transfer is better. Other facilities will give you results by freezing on day four, but studies have shown that the fifth day is where it really matters and things change. Wait the 5 days with a frozen transfer.

2020, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Bateman] answered all my questions and worked with me and my husband as we travelled from out of town to see him specifically...will transfer more than one if the conditions are right. He recommends singles but will work with the patient for their own wants/needs...He returned calls after hours. He was direct and kind. Very professional and focused
[The staff at Virginia Fertility & IVF] care about privacy and comfort through the process...Very kind and patient. Always willing to answer questions. Very much appreciate..Available after hours to return calls and emails...Clean, upscale, comfortable. New technology. Good admin staff...Ivf single cycle frozen 12k
I appreciate Dr Bateman and am going to continue treatment at his facility. He has great success rates and is very kind. He answered all my questions and worked with me and my husband as we travelled from out of town to see him specifically.
Have questions prepared ahead of time. Ask for a complete picture of the timeline and bring your own calendar. Retrieval and transfer are separate drugs and timelines. Ask everything to get a clear picture of care.
Dr Bateman spoke with me on several occassions about my concerns and expectations. He returned calls after hours. He was direct and kind. Very professional and focused.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Tara Snow)
Very kind and patient. Always willing to answer questions. Very much appreciate her!!
Clean, upscale, comfortable. New technology. Good admin staff. Available after hours to return calls and emails. They are efficient and hardworking. Very much appreciate them. Thg hey care about privacy and comfort through the process. . .
Ivf single cycle frozen 12k
Dr. Bateman will transfer more than one if the conditions are right. He recommends singles but will work with the patient for their own wants/needs.
Charlottesville

They [the nurses at Reproductive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia] definitely explained out everything to you. Even when you called about a question they walked you step by step. Excellent...I don’t have any weaknesses. Everything there was good. I have no complaints at all. Everyone went out there way to help you out no matter what. I would recommend this place to anyone and doctors as well....[Dr. Laura Smith] was the nicest doctor. She explained everything in details. She helped you out anyway she can. Every time I went to see her she was always upfront about everything. I would definitely recommend her...She would ask if you had questions and she would get you an answer...I had a dye test done twice and I found out that I have a blocked tube. Which I was wondering and glad I found out. I also did the injection shots and medicine.
I loved Dr.Smith! I really liked her a lot. She explained everything in details. She would ask if you had questions and she would get you an answer. The nurses are awesome as well. All the staff are nice. I just wished they would do later appointments for different things.
That she definitely knows what’s best for you in going through whatever treat you need.
Laura Smith, was the nicest doctor. She explained everything in details. She helped you out anyway she can. Every time I went to see her she was always upfront about everything. I would definitely recommend her.
They definitely explained out everything to you. Even when you called about a question they walked you step by step. Excellent
Everything was well explained, I don’t have any weaknesses. Everything there was good. I have no complaints at all. Everyone went out there way to help you out no matter what. I would recommend this place to anyone and doctors as well.
My insurance wouldn’t cover INF so that why I haven’t went through anymore
Charlottesville

[Dr. Christopher Williams] would always read up on my file before meeting. He took time to personally call me and discuss our plan...is helpful and supportive of my plan. He always makes me feel comfortable and makes sure I understand the next step in the process. He takes time to answer all my questions and calm my anxieties...Ask questions! Dr. Williams is very knowledgeable and there to help!...you may see several doctors, especially during mid cycle monitoring.
At RMSCVA you may see several doctors, especially during mid cycle monitoring. Some doctors are more thorough than others, which is frustrating. However, the staff has always been super helpful. If I have a question, I can call and the nurses always call back quickly...[Dr. Christopher Williams] would always read up on my file before meeting. He took time to personally call me and discuss our plan...is helpful and supportive of my plan. He always makes me feel comfortabl
Dr. Williams is helpful and supportive of my plan. He always makes me feel comfortable and makes sure I understand the next step in the process. He takes time to answer all my questions and calm my anxieties.
Ask questions! Dr. Williams is very knowledgeable and there to help!
Dr. Williams would always read up on my file before meeting. He took time to personally call me and discuss our plan.

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. Irianni focused more on my weight being our main reason for not conceiving than anything else. I remember leaving his office on several occasions in tears because I had not lost enough weight and he specifically said, "how do you expect to be a good mother when you can't even take good care of yourself". He also missed several red flags on my husband's semen analyses. He also missed several red flags on my husband's semen analyses...
Between canceled appointments/ IUI cycles [at Winchester Infertility] and not being informed on all the options for conceiving, we felt like we were on a schedule that was most convenient for the office, not for us...[the nurse] She was friendly when spoken to but was quiet most of the time. She would make most of the phone calls with protocol instructions...I felt like our infertility options weren't fully covered and that some options were pushed on us because that was the natural progression.
How was your experience with Francisco Irianni (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr. Irianni focused more on my weight being our main reason for not conceiving than anything else. I remember leaving his office on several occasions in tears because I had not lost enough weight and he specifically said, "how do you expect to be a good mother when you can't even take good care of yourself". Two planned IUI cycles were canceled because Dr. Irianni was out of office. He also missed several red flags on my husband's semen analyses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Francisco Irianni (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Be persistent.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Francisco Irianni (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Most of the time, I felt like a human but there were definitely a few times I felt like a number. There were times I would get very vague details about our test results, treatment plan and steps forward. Also, two cycles for IUI were canceled due to staff being out on leave, including Dr. Irianni.
Describe the protocols Francisco Irianni (retired) used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
My husband was on clomid to increase his sperm count and motility. I was also on clomid, as well as metformin and novarel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Kristy)
It's a very small office. In the grand scheme, I think it's a good starting place for those who are in the Winchester area who cannot afford/don't have the time to travel to other infertility clinics. However, I felt like our infertility options weren't fully covered and that some options were pushed on us because that was the natural progression. To a new patient, I would say have a healthy timeline in mind. I often felt like we were in the vehicle but didn't know where we were going.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Francisco Irianni (retired) at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
Insurance covered diagnostic testing, bloodwork, and portions of ultrasounds, but medications and procedures were out of pocket.
Between canceled appointments/ IUI cycles and not being informed on all the options for conceiving, we felt like we were on a schedule that was most convenient for the office, not for us.
Francisco Irianni (retired)
Winchester (closed)

Dr. Banerjee was very welcoming and warm during my initial consultation. He explained my fertility plan and reassured me that we were in this journey together. I was very thankful for that. After my consultation appointment, he seemed a bit rushed and trying to hurry through my next appointments but also told me that I can let him know anything that is bothering me.... He showed me photos of my mature follicles and explained in depth how IUI works. He made a point to explain that if it unsuccessful, we will try again next month until we get success.
Dr. Banerjee is located within another doctor office and only has one nurse and one patient room. He does consultations and ultrasounds out of Winchester but IUI, sperm analysis, and IVF must be done at their office in Charlottesville, VA.... The doctor forgot to order an A1C bloodwork test when he did my others so I had to get bloodwork twice.... After my consultation appointment, he seemed a bit rushed and trying to hurry through my next appointments
How was your experience with Jashoman Banerjee at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Dr. Banerjee was great and always ensured I understood the process and my fertility plan. He showed me photos of my mature follicles and explained in depth how IUI works. He made a point to explain that if it unsuccessful, we will try again next month until we get success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jashoman Banerjee at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Come prepared with questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jashoman Banerjee at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA)?
Describe the protocols Jashoman Banerjee used in your cycles at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA) and their degree of success.
We did 3 rounds of Leterzole. He wanted to increase my dosage of medicine for cycle 4 but gave me that choice to skip to IUI. I made that decision and we increased my medicine, did an HCG shot, and timed IUI. We’re waiting for the results now!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jashoman Banerjee at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
My insurance covers 90% so I really didn’t have an expense.
Jashoman Banerjee
Winchester (closed)
He [Dr. Irianni] is very dedicated and gave us great service. It is a small office in a small city and that was wonderful. He only works with married couples and is very conscientious... We had a great experience even though if was long and challenging. We never felt like a number. When I had a miscarriage, he was very kind and supportive.
He [Dr. Irianni] is very dedicated and gave us great service. It [Winchester Infertility] is a small office in a small city and that was wonderful... The donor did not tell the clinic that she is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. I am not sure if he did not ask her or she did not realize.
Be very honest and clear about what you want and need. He will be honest and let you know what is possible.
He is very dedicated and gave us great service. It is a small office in a small city and that was wonderful. He only works with married couples and is very conscientious.
Can't remember but I did not have any major problems. We did 3 rounds of IVF with my eggs and conceived on the 3rd one. I miscarried at 12 weeks. Then we want back and did a donor egg cycle and were successful. The third time with my eggs was not great--he could not retrieve many. Also the donor cycle was not timed quite right and we got a low number of eggs from her, but one worked out.
He had one main nurse we worked with and she was great.
$15,000 for donor cycle covered by us. Earlier cycles with my eggs were covered by insurance.
The donor did not tell the clinic that she is a carrier for Cystic Fibrosis. I am not sure if he did not ask her or she did not realize. After we had our child, the Dr. called us months later once he realized and let us know we should have our son tested to see if he is a CF carrier. The Dr. was upset that he did not have the information for us to consider earlier.
Francisco Irianni (retired)
Winchester (closed)
I took clomid on cycle days 5-9 and then tested with an ovulation predictor on days 11-21. On my peak day(s), I had planned intercourse [protocol with Dr. Jashoman Banerjee]...We’ve met many times, and he has always made me comfortable and always approaches each visit with a positive attitude...We are still under going treatment after several rounds of clomid and a recent laparoscopy. We have been unsuccessful with achieving pregnancy thus far. Dr. Banerjee is always happy, positive, and friendly with each visit. Even when I may be sad or frustrated, he always reassures me that we still have more options and that this CAN happen.
The biggest weakness [at Reprodictive Medicine and Surgery Center of Virginia-Winchester] is that this is a satellite office (the main office is in Charlottesville, VA). This means that some things, such as IUI and IVF, are only offered in the main office which is a much farther drive for me...I had never had any problems with any member of the staff. They work together as a very cohesive team, and I have no complaints...I took clomid on cycle days 5-9 and then tested with an ovulation predictor on days 11-21.
The same advice I would give a patient of any fertility doctor; be open minded, try to relax, think positive.
I took clomid on cycle days 5-9 and then tested with an ovulation predictor on days 11-21. On my peak day(s), I had planned intercourse.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA). (Assigned nurse: Christy)
The biggest weakness is that this is a satellite office (the main office is in Charlottesville, VA). This means that some things, such as IUI and IVF, are only offered in the main office which is a much farther drive for me.
My insurance covers some testing such as bloodwork and ultrasounds. I am also responsible for a copay with each visit.
Describe Jashoman Banerjee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Virginia Fertility & IVF (FKA Reproductive Medicine & Surgery Center of VA).
I have not experienced this.
Jashoman Banerjee