1098 Foster City Boulevard
Oakland, CA 94609
San Ramon
100 Park Place
San Ramon, CA 94583

Dr. Reid highly recommended a single embryo transfer. On my final visit with her when graduating...the last thing she said to me was, "If you come back for more, put them in one at a time."...She delivered information and answers to questions very succinctly and professionally, yet delivered information in a caring and concerned manner. She always asked, even after many questions and answers had been exchanged, if there were any further questions. She made me feel good each and every visit. I felt a connection to her as if we could have been very good friends in another life.
Laura [nurse at Reproductive Science Center] was organized and clear in all communication (written and verbal). Even though I'm sure her caseload was extensive during the time of my treatment, she always responded quickly and treated me with great care. She sent me notes and left voice messages of congratulations and joy when we had successes along the way such as a great retrieval outcome, PGT results, and positive pregnancy outcome.
How was your experience with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Reid was incredible. I felt at ease in every situation with her during the initial consultation in her office, testing visits, operations, and our frozen embryo transfer. I always felt cared for. I fully trusted her treatment protocol was specific to my body. I was sorry to say goodbye to Dr. Reid when we graduated from RSC after our successful transfer. I am 21 weeks along and will always be grateful to Dr. Reid and RSC for our little girl.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Ask lots of questions. She will answer every one of them completely, and that will make you feel more knowledgeable and at ease.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Reid was very warm and generous of her time each and every visit. She delivered information and answers to questions very succinctly and professionally, yet delivered information in a caring and concerned manner. She always asked, even after many questions and answers had been exchanged, if there were any further questions. She made me feel good each and every visit. I felt a connection to her as if we could have been very good friends in another life.
Describe the protocols Sara Pittenger-Reid used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
I stimulated for 8 days with 150 units of Gonal F and 150 units of Menopur. I used a Lupron trigger, which I questioned Dr. Reid about. I was concerned Lupron would not yield a good quality egg retrieval outcome, but she assured me this was the correct trigger choice for my body (to avoid OHSS). All of my follicles yielded an egg. 18 eggs were retrieved. 12 fertilized (ICSI). 6 made it to blastocyst and were frozen. 4 of these embryos were PGT normal. We transfered one embryo 2 months following my retrieval. My first baby--a girl is currently 21 weeks gestation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Appling Rueckheim)
Laura was organized and clear in all communication (written and verbal). Even though I'm sure her caseload was extensive during the time of my treatment, she always responded quickly and treated me with great care. She sent me notes and left voice messages of congratulations and joy when we had successes along the way such as a great retrieval outcome, PGT results, and positive pregnancy outcome.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
RSC is a well oiled machine. They handle everything beyond efficiently, from scheduling to billing to office operations. I live 2 hours away from Dr. Reid's Foster City clinic location, so I would often go to the slightly closer Los Gatos clinic for monitoring appointments. On weekend monitoring appoints and for procedures I went to the San Ramon clinic. During visits to all 3 of these clinics I came in contact with nothing short of amazing doctors, nurses, and staff. I always felt like my time was respected and I was treated like a person. I felt that everyone was in my corner every step of the way. I live in the Monterey area and drove many hours to appointments during my treatment. It was worth every hour, mile, and penny to be in the hands of RSC.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sara Pittenger-Reid at Reproductive Science Center.
$16,100: egg retrieval workup and procedure costs for freeze-all cycle $3,200: stimulation drugs $1,500: PGT testing $4,300: frozen transfer workup and procedure $410: post-transfer injectibles $25,510 (TOTAL)
Describe Sara Pittenger-Reid's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Dr. Reid highly recommended a single embryo transfer. On my final visit with her when graduating from RSC, the last thing she said to me was, "If you come back for more, put them in one at a time.".

IUI With Other Docs
She [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] will work with you to find a tailored approach...When the first round of IVF stimulation didn't produce as many eggs as hoped for, Dr. Pittenger-Reid was proactive in suggesting a new drug protocol for the second round... said that she nearly always only recommends elective single embryo transfer, over transferring multiple embryos...always did an excellent job of explaining the procedures and risks involved. She was warm and caring everytime my partner or I spoke with her, and went above and beyond to talk with us by phone and in-person when we had questions or concerns throughout the process.
Laura, the nurse and case manager [at Reproductive Science Center], was highly responsive and a good communicator. She would often call with information and then follow up the call with typed instructions via the patient portal, to which I could always refer. She showed empathy throughout the process and is clearly passionate about assisting patients with what can be a highly emotional process...We used a third-party guarantee/refund multi-cycle package that cost roughly $35,000 upfront but covered 2 cycles and would refund 50% if no baby. This was an easy process as all billing from the clinic then went through the company with which we were contracted for the multi-cycle package. Genetic testing, embryo shipping for genetic testing, and prescriptions were additional fees paid to other third parties.
Dr. Pittenger-Reid was very helpful in crafting an IVF strategy and explained things every step of the way. She was flexible when we didn't get as strong of a result as hoped for and tailored the protocol during the process. She is clearly passionate about her specialty and shows genuine empathy and compassion for her patients. I appreciate that she called me directly when there was news to share, rather than having my case manager simply type a response through the patient portal (which could've left questions unanswered). When it was clear that we needed to change course, Dr. Pittenger-Reid was proactive in coming up with another course of action. When other unanticipated things came up, she was communicative.
Don't be afraid to share your full medical history with Dr. Pittenger-Reid. She will work with you to find a tailored approach.
Dr. Pittenger-Reid always did an excellent job of explaining the procedures and risks involved. She was warm and caring everytime my partner or I spoke with her, and went above and beyond to talk with us by phone and in-person when we had questions or concerns throughout the process.
When the first round of IVF stimulation didn't produce as many eggs as hoped for, Dr. Pittenger-Reid was proactive in suggesting a new drug protocol for the second round. First round included Gonal-F, Menopur, and Ganirelix with Lupron for the trigger. Subsequent round included Micro-dose Lupron, Gonal-F, and Menopur, with Novarel as the trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Rueckheim)
Laura, the nurse and case manager, was highly responsive and a good communicator. She would often call with information and then follow up the call with typed instructions via the patient portal, to which I could always refer. She showed empathy throughout the process and is clearly passionate about assisting patients with what can be a highly emotional process.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Everyone at RSC Bay Area seems to communicate with one another and work well together. While my primary physician did not perform the procedures on me, the attending doctors knew my background and were compassionate and skilled. When a mistake was made initially with my insurance, the clinic bent over backwards to correct it. One possible issue for some patients is that all procedures (retrieval and transfer) are done at the San Ramon location. Also, all weekend monitoring visits are at the San Ramon location, which can be far for some patients to drive, especially if the monitoring appointment is at or before 8:00am. However, it is nice to know that eggs/embryos are not being transfered to different locations and that there is a centralized location for anything beyond "routine" visits.
Dr. Pittenger-Reid said that she nearly always only recommends elective single embryo transfer, over transferring multiple embryos. This may differ with patient age, but if you are in your 30s, the clinic will likely only transfer one embryo. However, with the use of preimplantation genetic testing, the embryo that is selected for transfer is very likely to be healthy and to implant.
Foster City

[Dr. Sara Pittenger-Reid] is very easy to talk to. She listened my questions and concerns, and shares her experience and expertise openly. She called me after egg retrieval, fertilization and PGTA, even when some of the results came in after clinic hours. She seems to really care about my outcomes, and is patient and kind when the results were not optimal...she encouraged me to speak with other physicians (at the clinic and elsewhere) to ensure that I am comfortable with the next steps.
Laura [nurse at Reproductive Science Center] was extremely on top of everything and easy to talk to. She called me every day when a new test result is available, instructed me closely on daily injections and emailed me detailed instructions. She even called me on a weekend to ensure that I am ok, even when she was not the on call nurse. She was very compassionate when the results did not turn out well.
Dr. Reid is very compassionate and patient. She explained the procedures/expectations extremely well. In addition, she encouraged me to speak with other physicians (at the clinic and elsewhere) to ensure that I am comfortable with the next steps.
Ask questions, think critically about the treatment you are receiving, and ask more questions.
Dr. Reid is very easy to talk to. She listened my questions and concerns, and shares her experience and expertise openly. She called me after egg retrieval, fertilization and PGTA, even when some of the results came in after clinic hours. She seems to really care about my outcomes, and is patient and kind when the results were not optimal.
Estrace priming; Gonal-F 300 IU and Menopur 150 IU daily for 14 days; Ganerelix 250 IU the last 5 days of the stimulation cycle; HCG 10000 IU trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Bruce)
Laura was extremely on top of everything and easy to talk to. She called me every day when a new test result is available, instructed me closely on daily injections and emailed me detailed instructions. She even called me on a weekend to ensure that I am ok, even when she was not the on call nurse. She was very compassionate when the results did not turn out well. I see her as my best friend in a fertility journey (and way more organized and encouraging than anyone can hope for).
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The staff (nurse case manager - Laura, nurse practitioner for ultrasound- Meredith, physician - Dr. Reid and Weckstein) are all really amazing. I asked a lot of questions, challenged the initial planned protocols and made sure I was comfortable with the plan. What I liked the most is that everyone here really listened to my concerns. We went with a plan that was the original plan by Dr. Reid (which shows her expertise) despite my many questions, and I am confident it was the best plan, despite ultimately not being able to transfer due to embryo aneuploidy.
15,000 including medications, IVF up to egg retrieval and PGTA (no transfer)
She prefers eSET.
Foster City

Dr. Sara [Pittenger-Reid] is a good doctor. She has good bed side manners. Very patient nature. She agreed to accommodate me for IUI treatment when no doctor was available the day my IUI was to be performed...After my negative pregnancy test I never received any change of protocol. I would have appreciated if I was told what best can be done for my case. But unfortunately that did not happen...Clomid on day 3 of cycle for next 5 days. Ovulation ultrasound 2 days prior to IUI treatment. Ovidrel 250 mcg subcutaneously 2 days prior to IUI. the protocol was done to help increase chances of getting successful. IUI treatment. But resulted in negative pregnancy.
I was really surprised to see the apathy of the staff at San Ramon office [of Reproductive Science Center] when I was informed I cannot have a doctor for my treatment. So a clinical assistant will perform my treatment. I had to request many times to provide me a doctor for my treatment. So finally Dr. Sara agreed to perform my IUI, since she was the doctor who had done my initial consultation. As a patient this is a emotional and financially draining journey and we expect the treatment to be performed by a specialist. Since all their other doctors are busy with surgeries on a day does not mean the treatment can be done by an assistant.
Dr. Sara is good. But I believe if she would have taken more interest in my case. After my negative pregnancy test I never received any change of protocol. I would have appreciated if I was told what best can be done for my case. But unfortunately that did not happen.
Please take more interest in the patients cases. And give them a convincing plan and help patients with their dream of a baby. It is a very emotional journey.
Dr. Sara is a good doctor. She has good bed side manners. Very patient nature. She agreed to accommodate me for IUI treatment when no doctor was available the day my IUI was to be performed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Marlen)
Nurse really lacked proper communication. I had to follow up every time for my case. I was really shocked when I knew that my IUI will be performed by a Clinical Assistant since no doctor was available for my day. I had to request to get me a doctor for my treatment. Staff is good and approachable.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The front desk is nice and helpful. The clinic is clean and well maintained. There were few patients before me on the day of treatment and everyone was addressed as per their calendar. New patients should always ask the protocol which will be used for their treatment. Please ask many questions.
For IUI it was $1300. This included the pre-cycle monitoring. But medicines, shots, blood work was all separate.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
I was really surprised to see the apathy of the staff at San Ramon office when I was informed I cannot have a doctor for my treatment. So a clinical assistant will perform my treatment. I had to request many times to provide me a doctor for my treatment. So finally Dr. Sara agreed to perform my IUI, since she was the doctor who had done my initial consultation. As a patient this is a emotional and financially draining journey and we expect the treatment to be performed by a specialist. Since all their other doctors are busy with surgeries on a day does not mean the treatment can be done by an assistant.
Foster City

[Dr. Sara Pittenger-Reid] was very nice. We like her personally but after 5 failed tries, we have very mixed feelings. One thing we're particularly upset about is in the beginning, we asked whether we should buy insurance to protect against failure but then decided not to because Dr Reid assured us that success rate was very high.
[Reproductive Science Center has] Good system, online portals. Too expensive. After 5 failures, we asked for a discount and they gave 10%. can't say we're happy with that... given that we would've purchased the Guarantee program if we were not persuaded otherwise...Our samples were ruined twice (one with me, one with surrogate) at the Foster City office
Dr Reid was very nice. We like her personally but after 5 failed tries, we have very mixed feelings. One thing we're particularly upset about is in the beginning, we asked whether we should buy insurance to protect against failure but then decided not to because Dr Reid assured us that success rate was very high. In hindsight, we think it was a bad decision listening to her: we should've bought the insurance and saved a lot of money in our worst scenario: 5 failures and eventually gave up.
This is not Dr-Reid specific, but plan for the worst. We indeed failed 5 times and ran out of money.
Dr Reid is very nice, communicative and responsive.
We tried 5 times: Dr Reid did 3 transfers, and 2 other doctors did the other 2 transfers. I think the clinic did this way so that we don't completely blame Dr Reid. Our surrogate took a lot of medicine prescribed by Dr Reid that we were not aware of.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Science Center.
Our samples were ruined twice (one with me, one with surrogate) at the Foster City office. Very bad.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The cost was about 10% with US costs. We picked RSC because we believed they were of higher quality.
Yes, but in US, the practices are eSET. Looking back after 5 failures, we are not a fan of eSET.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Our nurse was changed in the middle, and we were not notified in-time. We found out after they had to disclose, it seems.
Foster City
She [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] didn't know her own stats in terms of success, couldn't point us to specific reasons for decisions beyond "usually" and "probably fine..." ... We found her indifference to doing a dna fragmentation test on my husband's sperm with a known varicocele ridiculous. ... it was this general indifference and lack of knowledge about the grading of my eggs pre-ICSI (she hadn't even checked before our wtf conversation, had no idea if I had an egg quality issue) that sent us right out the door.
Multiple locations and obviously very hardworking staff. I enjoyed the support staff, always. However, they're hard to get ahold of sometimes. ... Emails to billing can languish for weeks before they actually get you the thing they said they would. FYI I have heard there are other, more 'pushy' doctors at RSC that I would probably have enjoyed more. ... Marlen [nurse] is a lovely and kind person, but her emails often rambled and left me confused.
Dr. Reid is wonderful to talk to and I bet makes a great friend. However, as a doctor, we found her to be almost lazy in her approach. She didn't know her own stats in terms of success, couldn't point us to specific reasons for decisions beyond "usually" and "probably fine..." My partner is a scientist and Dr. Reid made us realize what we wanted was an active, curious doctor who revels in data and is up on the latest research. If that's you, steer clear of Dr. Reid. However, if you're the sort who doesn't want to know reasons for things or dive into information, she'd be great.
I'd say I'd only go to her for IUI, and not if you're curious about potential diagnostic issues that haven't been discovered yet.
Dr. Reid is extremely personable and kind.
antagonist protocol with Gonal F and Menopur for stimming- and a fairly high does, I think Menopur was 450. Cetrotide for hanging onto eggs and a regular trigger.
Marlen is a lovely and kind person, but her emails often rambled and left me confused. Again, we're a pretty Type A couple when in IVF, we've learned-- and her emails kind of wandered. Same with phone calls. At the end of them I was always like: wait, so what do you need again? Really all I wanted was a bulleted list of things to do. Later, Marlen was out on vacation and a super baller detailed nurse (I think named Lauren) filled in and she was much more my speed. If you go here, ask for Lauren!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Multiple locations and obviously very hardworking staff. I enjoyed the support staff, always. However, they're hard to get ahold of sometimes. Once, a nurse called me with instructions the day before my retrieval and when I called back with a follow-up question, no one returned my call. Emails to billing can languish for weeks before they actually get you the thing they said they would. FYI I have heard there are other, more 'pushy' doctors at RSC that I would probably have enjoyed more. One last thing: We found her indifference to doing a dna fragmentation test on my husband's sperm with a known varicocele ridiculous. Some other clinics say it's a freaking mandatory test, especially with a varicocele. An SA test only shows how the sperm *looks*, not how it is, and it was this general indifference and lack of knowledge about the grading of my eggs pre-ICSI (she hadn't even checked before our wtf conversation, had no idea if I had an egg quality issue) that sent us right out the door.
A cycle was $15,000 plus $4000 for meds. They've just raised their prices.
She preferred single transfer, but we never got that far as our cycle resulted in just one embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
At retrieval, we were told someone would call us between 8-9 a.m. on day 3. When no one called, I was practically hyperventilating. Dr. Reid eventually called back to my message of "oh God is everything okay" and she was clearly annoyed with me, kept talking over me by saying they don't call on day 3 anymore. That's great for her, but since we were obviously told the wrong thing by someone at retrieval, you'd think she'd have been a little more understanding and less annoyed with the phone call. fwiw, I didn't need a phone call from her at that point, just a nurse calling saying "oh I'm so sorry, someone misspoke, we'll call you X day" would have been enough. Instead I was irritated by her irritation, and then the release of "oh good the eggs are okay so far" rush had me in tears at the end of the call. Way to make a mistake feel way worse.
Foster City

Dr Reid, individually was awesome. She seemed really genuine and easy-going. She listened to us and validated our concerns. I felt like she was invested in us and truly wanted to see us succeed. I wish that I loved the rest of her office staff as much as I enjoyed her...We did 3 induced ovulation and 2 IUIs using letrazole and an Hcg trigger shot...we felt very supported and able to have a candid conversation. She took her time and did not rush us.
A few times I was told [by staff at Reproductive Science Center] that I would be contacted by the end of the day with instructions about time sensitive meds, and was never called. I ended up have to call my nurse coordinator off hours to get instructions. I also sent them a medical release waiver when I changed providers and they never sent over my medical records...Clinic is nice and new with a comfortable waiting area. It was a peaceful environment but several team members were borderline rude. One of the phlebotomists seemed irritated frequently. The US techs were really nice and friendly.
I really loved working with Dr Reid, it was just her support staff that I didn’t really trust. The communication was poor and several times I was told “well call you by the end of the day with instructions for meds tonight” and I didn’t get a call, so missed instructions for time sensitive meds. So you must be proactive with the support staff, call them, don’t wait for them to call you.
When we met with Dr Reid we felt very supported and able to have a candid conversation. She took her time and did not rush us. She seemed very down to earth and easy to relate to. Once treatment started we didn’t see her or hear from her again until my 5th “not pregnant” pregnancy test. We only dealt with our nurse coordinator and office staff after our initial consult.
We did 3 induced ovulation and 2 IUIs using letrazole and an Hcg trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Ruckheim)
Laura seemed organized but she wasn’t always patient with me. I felt like she interrupted me frequently and sometimes gave me an attitude.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
My insurance covered diagnostics. I think an induced ovulation cycle was about $200 and and IUI was about $800
Mandatory
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
A few times I was told that I would be contacted by the end of the day with instructions about time sensitive meds, and was never called. I ended up have to call my nurse coordinator off hours to get instructions. I also sent them a medical release waiver when I changed providers and they never sent over my medical records.
Foster City
Dr Reid has quite a gentle bed-side manner... Limited access to her. Aside from initial consultation, will only see her at egg retrieval (if scheduling fits) and embryo transfer (if I specifically schedule it for a day that she works at my site.)... Most appointments are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.)
I found the exclusive use of email and voicemails to communicate with my nurse care coordinator off-putting....Most appointments [Reproductive Science Center] are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.)... * well oiled machine * competitive pricing - especially stacked against bigger names
Quite kind, delicate and quiet bedside manner. Limited access to her. Aside from initial consultation, will only see her at egg retrieval (if scheduling fits) and embryo transfer (if I specifically schedule it for a day that she works at my site.)
* do all your homework ahead of time. It'll help you not feel lost in the process. * do not expect undue hand-holding. You won't be seeing the doctor very often.
Mixed bag. Most appointments are with nurses except for the initial consultation and major procedures like egg retrieval and embryo transfer. (Even these are not necessarily with your primary doctor depending on scheduling.) Most of the personnel are quite kind, but it's obvious you're just the umpteenth person trying to conceive that has paraded before them. Dr Reid has quite a gentle bed-side manner, which is appreciated. Yet the parade of different medical professionals I see at appointments does not feel very human focused. It's a very well run machine, though.
antagonistic w/ lupron trigger
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
* well oiled machine * competitive pricing - especially stacked against bigger names such as Stanford/UCSF * you'll mostly be treated kindly by a parade of different care providers you'll barely know. * the process is dehumanizing but not demoralizing.
$ 7,500 ivf w/ icsi $4000 - frozen embryo transfer $1000 embryo freezing $1500 PGS
eSET strongly encouraged by doctor (especially with PGS tested embryos) and advised or increased complications during twin pregnancies.
Foster City
Dr. Reid is very personable and when I speak with her she always makes me feel like she has my care in her hands... Dr Reid works with a great te if doctors and they all took great care of me through both of my retrievals. I appreciate Dr. Reid and her guidance throughout the IVF process and our journey to have a baby.... After retrieval I had myectomy to remove fibroids and hysteroscopy to removed scarring. Next step is mock transfer then FET transfer.
We applied for a double retrieval and paid $36k. We opted for PGS testing which was a separate cost of about $4k. Medicine/hormones were also an additional cost of about $10k.... Laura [Reproductive Science Center - Foster City] made all of my appointments fit my work schedule. I had a favorite sonographer (I can’t remember her name) but she was the best! She took the time to explain what she saw in my ultrasounds. I loved every time I had her and would ask to have her for each ultrasound if she was at my location and on schedule.
Ask a lot of questions. Ask about the different options. Be open to Dr. Reid’s advice. Be sure to weigh out your options before making any decisions.
The very first cycle started with bcp protocol before starting stimulating hormones but that didn’t work because I developed an ovarian cyst and so we skipped a cycle until cyst disappeared. The 2nd cycle I started with estrogen priming. I was on stimulating hormones for 14 days. My first retrieval yielded 14 follicles, 8 fertilized, 5 made it to blastocyst, 5 sent for PGS testing, all came back abnormal. The 3rd cycle was exactly the same as the 2nd except I I had 17 follicles, 10 fertilized, 5 made it blastocyst, 3 sent for PGS testing, 1 embryo came back normal. After retrieval I had myectomy to remove fibroids and hysteroscopy to removed scarring. Next step is mock transfer then FET transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura Applinger)
Laura made all of my appointments fit my work schedule. I had a favorite sonographer (I can’t remember her name) but she was the best! She took the time to explain what she saw in my ultrasounds. I loved every time I had her and would ask to have her for each ultrasound if she was at my location and on schedule.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Be on time. Be respectful and kind to the employees. They are here to help you on this journey. Be honest, open and most of all patient. The journey of infertility and IUI/IVF is an emotional one.
Dr Reid will only do a single embryo transfer because of the removal uterine fibroids.
Foster City

She's [Dr. Pittenger-Reid] very thoughtful and comprehensive in her thinking. She tries to set expectations and gives some rationales when things don't go as plan. She's willing to think outside the box and incorporate ideas from other physicians within her practice as well as from her previous clinics and any research you bring in. She may not always follow or endorse things, but she's willing to consider it and give a rationale why she thinks it will or won't be beneficial in this scenario.
You don't get a ton of face time with your doctor [at Reproductive Science Center] . You may or not see them at all once your cycle starts. However, every physician with whom I've interacted has been kind, reassuring, and competent....12k for ivf (not including meds) 17k for freeze all with PGS (not including meds)...I was verbally told they were drawing a beta when my period was a week late (getting ready to start a cycle), but only drew estrogen and progesterone.
She's very thoughtful and comprehensive in her thinking. She tries to set expectations and gives some rationales when things don't go as plan. She's willing to think outside the box and incorporate ideas from other physicians within her practice as well as from her previous clinics and any research you bring in. She may not always follow or endorse things, but she's willing to consider it and give a rationale why she thinks it will or won't be beneficial in this scenario.
Become friends with your nurse, who will be your primary point of contact.
She's kind, thoughtful, and funny. It feels as though she cares if you're pregnant-- not just for her success rates but because she wants to help grow families.
We started with an estrogen priming antagonist with hgh protocol and that cycle was converted to iui due to lack of synchronization. Then we went to micro dose Lupron with hgh and had a chemical pregnancy (11R, 8M, 4F, transferred 2 at day 3, nothing to freeze). We did some further work up to make sure we weren't missing anything. Our next cycle would be a micros dose Lupron with hgh again, but was canceled at baseline due to a cyst. Final cycle was exactly like the second (MDL with HGH). We had 8 retrieved, 7 mature, 7 fertilize, 7 fabulous at day 3, all gone by day 5. Nothing to transfer or freeze. While she does not know why we don't make blasts, she's not pushing us to cycle again. She assumes it's poor egg quality as all sperm tests came back completely normal (including DNA frag). She's now recommending donor eggs or donor sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
Sandra is prompt on responses, and gives great updates. Sometimes it's frustrating to have questions be filtered through her-- it's hard to get an answer "straight from the horse's mouth", but Sandra does a great job interpreting answers.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
You don't get a ton of face time with your doctor. You may or not see them at all once your cycle starts. However, every physician with whom I've interacted has been kind, reassuring, and competent.
They prefer eSET, but we transferred 2 day 3 embryos. I'm not sure what they would have said if we had gotten to day 5 blasts or had any left to freeze in our case.

Investment Banker
Dr Reid was amazing throughout this process. We started our treatment with IUI and after 2 unsuccessul rounds we wanted to change courses. Dr. Reid throughly explained our other options and supported us with all options. She was neutral throughout the decision making process and did not push us one way or the other.... She made sure to schedule us on a day when she was doing embryo transfers so we could see her familiar face. At every step of our journey she impressed us with her compassion for what we were going through and knowledge of her field!
he clinic [Reproductive Science Center] is very well organized. All the nurses and staff are very friendly and willing to answer questions. When we started each different course of treatment (IUI vs IVF) we were required to watch videos explaining the treatment. At first I was a bit resentful of having to watch videos about our treatment but they were actually very educational and helpful! The only drawback of this location is that although M-F I was seen at the Foster City location, you have to go to their main location in San Ramon on weekends and holidays. That location is very nice though so all in all not a bad drawback.
Dr Reid was amazing throughout this process. We started our treatment with IUI and after 2 unsuccessul rounds we wanted to change courses. Dr. Reid throughly explained our other options and supported us with all options. She was neutral throughout the decision making process and did not push us one way or the other. We ended up choosing to do IVF and were so happy we did. She was kind and patient with all of our many questions and helped us understand what to expect along the way. She made sure to schedule us on a day when she was doing embryo transfers so we could see her familiar face. At every step of our journey she impressed us with her compassion for what we were going through and knowledge of her field! We are now expecting a healthy baby boy and are thrilled with our decision to seek treatment from Dr. Reid.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The clinic is very well organized. All the nurses and staff are very friendly and willing to answer questions. When we started each different course of treatment (IUI vs IVF) we were required to watch videos explaining the treatment. At first I was a bit resentful of having to watch videos about our treatment but they were actually very educational and helpful! The only drawback of this location is that although M-F I was seen at the Foster City location, you have to go to their main location in San Ramon on weekends and holidays. That location is very nice though so all in all not a bad drawback.
We had an insurance benefit through Progeny and Dr. Reid's clinic was one of the clinics they recommended and was covered through our insurance benefit.
Dr. Reid explained that they support eSET in most cases especially ours. After understanding the risks that accompany multiples I can understand their support of this practice.
Foster City

From our very first appointment, my husband and I felt like we understood the plan Dr. Reid had for us. Any questions we had were answered clearly and completely. Throughout my treatment she was there to answer any questions quickly for us and we never felt like we were wandering blindly. We lost our twins from our first transfer at 23 weeks, and truly felt like she cared for us and them, going as far as providing us with some information about what happened so that we could understand th medical side better. We started our FET protocol 3 months later and she was so supportive and helpful. We could not have asked for a better doctor.
There are multiple doctors at this clinic [RSC-Foster City], with multiple locations. They have a main office located in East Bay, where all of their procedures and done. This means that your primary doctor may not be the one to do your egg retrieval or transfer. This wasn’t a worry for us, all of the doctors were wonderful to us, but may be to some. Dr Reid was able to schedule our FET when she would be working in the clinic, which as lovely.
The same as I would tell anyone considering fertility treatments, ask questions. Lots of questions. Do you own research and understand what you are putting your body through.
She provided my husband and I with answers for any questions we had, support when needed, was there for us 100% of the way through our treatments. We truly felt like she was rooting for us. Further to that, when we lost our twins (23 weeks into my first pregnancy from our fresh cycle) she truly cared and tried to help us find a reason, even though she didn’t need to.
I don’t remember much about our fresh cycle, only that I had a great response to all of the medications I was given and my body produced plenty of healthy eggs. I did have nausea as a side effect, but in my opinion, that was par for the course. My egg retrieval went very well, 21 eggs retrieved and ICSI was used to inseminate. Because of poor sperm quality we had 4 good quality embryos, 2 of which were transferred on day 5, while 2 were frozen. The two that were transferred, resulted in perfectly healthy boy/girl twins. Unfortunately, due to preterm labor and rupture, they were born far too early at 23 weeks. We began FET protocol roughly 3 month later, once I was cleared by my OB. I was on estrogen to suppress my ovaries and boost my lining. I was also started on progesterone suppositories but switched to progesterone in oil shots, as I was finding the mess from the suppositories too much. My Frozen embryo transfer resulted in a healthy baby girl, born at 39 weeks exactly.
Laura is an incredible communicator and quickly returns phone calls. She answers questions easily and will quickly get back to you if she is unsure of an answer. She also did our injection class and the information she provided was so helpful and made our nightly injections go so much smoother. She is compassionate and caring and incredibly excited for us during our cycles and subsequent pregnancies.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
There are multiple doctors at this clinic, with multiple locations. They have a main office located in East Bay, where all of their procedures and done. This means that your primary doctor may not be the one to do your egg retrieval or transfer. This wasn’t a worry for us, all of the doctors were wonderful to us, but may be to some. Dr Reid was able to schedule our FET when she would be working in the clinic, which as lovely.
Single transfer was much more preferred by Dr Reid, using multiple transfers for specific reasons such as egg and/or embryo quality and maternal age. She explained that multiple pregnancies come with high risks that need to be weighed out carefully.
Foster City
Dr Reid is compassionate and caring, and is always willing to talk about any issue that comes up. When I first went to see her, I just assumed that we would need to do IVF - but she gave us a treatment plan that did not require IVF...Although I'm older, she is honest with me about my chances, but also keeps the hope alive that we'll eventually get the result we want.
RSC is great because they have multiple locations, and are open 7 days / week. So I can either go the office near my house or near my work. They also have a good portal - you can always send a message and someone will get back to you. The clinic always keeps me updated on what my treatment plan is and my prescriptions...Each IUI cycle was about $1200 + meds.
Dr Reid is compassionate and caring, and is always willing to talk about any issue that comes up. When I first went to see her, I just assumed that we would need to do IVF - but she gave us a treatment plan that did not require IVF. Although we have not gotten pregnant yet, I have seen better results with her than previous doctors, and she is working with us to move on to other treatment options in the future.
Don't be afraid to ask to get her on the phone - she will always hop on the phone if needed.
Dr Reid always treats me as an individual, and caters a treatment plan for me (rather than the standard plan that I got at Kaiser). Although I'm older, she is honest with me about my chances, but also keeps the hope alive that we'll eventually get the result we want.
We did IUI with Clomid. Dr Reid recommended IUI over IVF because of my age, and the fact that I don't produce many eggs each month. We have not gotten pregnant yet, but have had a chemical pregnancy, and continue to see decent sized follicles.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Each IUI cycle was about $1200 + meds.
2017, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Reid is incredibly thorough. She helped me stay calm and positive. I really appreciated her honest approach and proactivity. She really cares about you as a person and help to dispel my self diagnostic fears...Dr. Pittinger-Reid is fantastic. She is patient, and very calm, cool, and collected. She is happy to answer questions, and understands that this can be emotionally and physically demanding.
The nursing staff [at Reproductive Science Center] is okay. Not as communicative as I would have liked. I think sometimes they forget this is new for most patients, and we need a lot of guidance and coaching...My initial intake paperwork was misplaced, and I had to send it in a second time...The physical building in foster city is nearly impossible to find. There's virtually no signage and I had to ask multiple people to help me find it.
Be as open and honest as possible. It's not always an easy subject to broach, but it's important that your physician has all of the information, even if you think it's not pertinent.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Reproductive Science Center.
The nursing staff is okay. Not as communicative as I would have liked. I think sometimes they forget this is new for most patients, and we need a lot of guidance and coaching.
Foster City
[Dr. Pittenger-Reid is] Easy to communicate & got the answers in timely manner. She knows which treatment is suitable for each patient rather than trial basis. Very lucky to have her as my Fertility Specialist. Avoided unnecessary tests & her treatment was up to the mark...Difficult to get initial appointment with a Doctor as it took a wait time of 2 months.
Difficult to get initial appointment with a Doctor [at Reproductive Science Center] as it took a wait time of 2 months. Other than that, all the procedures & treatment went on well. Clinical staffs are kind & friendly & they practice very good Covid measures...[ Dr. Reid is] Easy to communicate & got the answers in timely manner. She knows which treatment is suitable for each patient rather than trial basis
Easy to communicate & would get her reply in few minutes for all my questions
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Difficult to get initial appointment with a Doctor as it took a wait time of 2 months. Other than that, all the procedures & treatment went on well. Clinical staffs are kind & friendly & they practice very good Covid measures.
Foster City

Dr.Reid was incredibly kind and understanding through the entire process. She took the time to explain things to me, listened to my concerns, and was willing to provide solid recommendations on what steps to take...She was great at answering questions and talking through options with me. I appreciated she was willing to tell me what she would do personally as a course of action and was willing to think through pros and cons of a decision...recommended a single transfer because of my age and we did PGT testing
The nursing staff [at Reproductive Science Center] was great. I had a dedicated case manager but other nurses would respond depending on the day and who was on call. There were no lapses in my case facts and it was really seamless...Do not expect to meet with the doctor at every appointment, but she or someone from the practice will respond if you have questions the nurses can’t handle...They have lots of offices all over the Bay and the facilities are pretty nice. Foster city is one of the smaller ones and is a little less nice but it was fine. The main weekend office is in San Ramon
We did not have any physical issues and no explanation for the recurrent miscarriages aside from bad luck. We did 4 rounds of Chlomid to try and accelerate conception (resulting in 2-3 follicles each round). We then time boxed the decision and moved to IVF after 4 rounds of chlomid. We did one round of egg retrievals which gave 13 mature eggs, 12 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5, and 3 returned genetically normal. I learned the sex of each and did a frozen transfer with a single embryo. It worked and I am now currently 10 weeks. The stims for IVF included Gonal-F, Menopur, and Centride, all of which I mixed and injected myself. The frozen embryo transfer protocol included oral estrogen, progesterone suppositories, and progesterone injections. I continued those through week 9 (first transfer was successful).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Kristine)
The nursing staff was great. I had a dedicated case manager but other nurses would respond depending on the day and who was on call. There were no lapses in my case facts and it was really seamless.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
They have lots of offices all over the Bay and the facilities are pretty nice. Foster city is one of the smaller ones and is a little less nice but it was fine. The main weekend office is in San Ramon so I ended up driving over there a lot, just because of my timing.
Out of pocket we paid about $15k for the procedures. We spent another $3-$5k on medications.
My doctor recommended a single transfer because of my age and we did PGT testing.
Foster City

I felt like a human when 1) the doctor[Dr. Pittenger-Reid] made it a point to answer all my questions without hurrying me along. I felt like a number because 1) I’ve seen the doctor exactly 4 times for an entire cycle of Egg retrieval, frozen embryo transfer and anembryonic gestation leading to miscarriage. ... 2) Chasing after bloodwork results. 3) the patronizing manner in which my meds were changed for the 2nd cycle without consulting me and the nurse coordinator using a decade old article to fob me off when I’d read NIH papers from the past few years that clearly refute the article.
RSC is a well run machine. There won’t be too many blatantly unprofessional scenarios. But like most establishments, there is a patronizing undertone. I still haven’t seen bills from my past cycle. So I don’t know if I overpaid or have a balance going into cycle 2. I only get to see the doctor a view times. The vast majority of interactions is with the nurse coordinator. ... Nobody informed me of chanfebin drug protocol for second stim cycle until I noticed it in the prescription and asked them about it. ...
Good communicator and very compassionate and delicate bedside manner, which is very much appreciated. Not rigorous in terms providing data to back up protocol adjustments. Had not read the latest NIH papers regarding one of the additions to my stim cycle.
Do your own homework. You won’t be told the ugly naked truth and unless you do your own homework, you won’t know what questions to ask and might be surprised by the outcome.
I felt like a human when 1) the doctor made it a point to answer all my questions without hurrying me along. I felt like a number because 1) I’ve seen the doctor exactly 4 times for an entire cycle of Egg retrieval, frozen embryo transfer and anembryonic gestation leading to miscarriage. Both the FET and polyectomy were done with other doctors due to scheduling. 2) Chasing after bloodwork results. 3) the patronizing manner in which my meds were changed for the 2nd cycle without consulting me and the nurse coordinator using a decade old article to fob me off when I’d read NIH papers from the past few years that clearly refute the article.
GonalF, Menopur, Cetrotide, Lupron trigger. About par in terms of result. 2nd cycle, up the GonalF dosage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
I had to be on top of things. Otherwise, things, especially scheduling, would fall through the cracks.
Egg retrieval $5,000 Frozen embryo transfer $3,000 Drugs: $3,800
eSET highly recommended.

2021 - 2022, Successful
I never actually met Dr. Homer until he performed my ultrasound to see the baby, but still, he was the man with the plan behind the scenes and I owe everything to him. He is a warm person and I highly recommend him...Despite my chances of success being rather low with IUI, he made it possible...Though he can speak quickly, he takes the time to ensure all of your questions and concerns are addressed.
RSC has great staff and is overall great. My only issues were with billing...I can not say enough about [nurse] Lindsay! She was everything you’d ever want. She is so beyond helpful, understanding, organized, patient, communicative and warm. She is a gem to work with and my absolute favorite part of working with this clinic!
How was your experience with Michael Vance Homer at Reproductive Science Center?
After reading good reviews about Dr Homer on this website, I decided to give fertility treatments a shot. I previously tried to conceive unsuccessfully for about 5 years. During my initial consultation with Dr. Homer, all of my questions and concerns were addressed. He gave me an understanding if my options and the potential success rate per procedure, as best as he could at that point. After careful consideration, my husband and I decided to start with IUI treatments. Over the course of my first treatment, I was given Clomid. My ultrasound showed that I developed an ideal amount of follicles to proceed with the iui, but the Clomid did cause my lining to thin so I was prescribed a medicine to help thicken my lining before my iui. That iui was unsuccessful. We opted to try again and the second time, Dr. Homer changed my medicine to Letrozole/Femara. That ultrasound showed that I developed an ideal amount of follicles and the new medicine did not cause my lining to thin so I did not need to take anything to thicken it before my IUI. I had my second IUI in mid-January 2022 and later discovered that I was pregnant! My first ultrasound confirmed that it was a singleton pregnancy. I graduated from the fertility clinic at around 6 weeks, right after the initial ultrasound and have since been seeing my OB. As of late April, I am currently 16 weeks pregnant and all has been going very well! I am 40 years old and have never previously had a positive pregnancy test besides the one I had after my 2nd iui. Despite my chances of success being rather low with IUI, he made it possible! I’m not sure if the change of the medication helped or what, but I owe it all to Dr. Homer and the rest of the staff! Of note, Dr. Homer was my primary fertility specialist, but both of my iui treatments were with different doctors, both were wonderful. I never actually met Dr. Homer until he performed my ultrasound to see the baby, but still, he was the man with the plan behind the scenes and I owe everything to him. He is a warm person and I highly recommend him!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Vance Homer at Reproductive Science Center?
Write out all of your questions before the initial consultation. Be understanding if he is not the doctor who will perform your treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Vance Homer at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr Vance has a warm personality. Though he can speak quickly, he takes the time to ensure all of your questions and concerns are addressed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay )
Oh my goodness, I can not say enough about Lindsay! She was everything you’d ever want. She is so beyond helpful, understanding, organized, patient, communicative and warm. She is a gem to work with and my absolute favorite part of working with this clinic!
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
RSC has great staff and is overall great. My only issues were with billing. I received some bills where I was overcharged, but luckily after I followed up, all of the billing issues were promptly corrected. I recommend writing down quoted costs along with the date the cost was quoted and the person you spoke with since that can help clear up matters.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Vance Homer at Reproductive Science Center.
I spent approximately $1300 per IUI cycle with meds.

2021 - 2022, Successful
He [Dr. Homer] was very transparent about the process and expectations and always answered all my questions - which I always had a lot of! After my first transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy, I appreciate that he wanted to leave no stone unturned before trying another transfer (we tried different forms of estrogen for priming to see how my lining responded, an ERA/Receptiva test, hysteroscopy, and repeated pregnancy loss lab-work since I have a history of chemical pregnancies). He was always optimistic that we would find the solution and gave me hope throughout the entire process....
Kacey [nurse at Reproductive Science Center] - she was friendly, compassionate, organized, direct, and always hopeful...the initial breakdown of costs was confusing because I did not understand what as covered by insurance and what was not. I wish the financial advisor would help make these distinctions clear. Also, the software they use for billing is very outdated- there is no way to see if there is an outstanding balance on your account or to see what bills you have paid in the past....
Dr. Homer is the best. I was fortunate enough to be referred to him specifically through a RE I consulted with on Maven. Initially the RE recommended I find a young female doctor, however when she learned I live in the Bay Area, she told me to forget everything she just said and go see Dr. Homer at RSC. I am so thankful I took her advice! He was very transparent about the process and expectations and always answered all my questions - which I always had a lot of! After my first transfer, which resulted in a chemical pregnancy, I appreciate that he wanted to leave no stone unturned before trying another transfer (we tried different forms of estrogen for priming to see how my lining responded, an ERA/Receptiva test, hysteroscopy, and repeated pregnancy loss lab-work since I have a history of chemical pregnancies). He was always optimistic that we would find the solution and gave me hope throughout the entire process.
Trust Dr. Homer because he truly has your best interests at heart.
Dr. Homer was absolutely amazing! I appreciate how Dr. Homer really got to know my husband and I. He understood not only my concerns but what was important to me throughout the entire process. He had an excellent communication style - he does not sugar coat the process and results, yet he still came off as kind and warm.
Describe the protocols Michael Vance Homer used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
We did 2 egg retrievals with the same medications, but different doses. My 2nd cycle yielded a higher number of mature eggs which I contribute to the dosage change. The medications we used were Gonal F, Menopur, and Cetrotide. We used a Lupron trigger for the first retrieval since it as a freeze-all and an HCG trigger for the second retrieval since it was a fresh transfer. We did 2 FET cycles with different forms of estrogen. My first FET resulted in a CP most likely because my lining only reached 7.4mm using oral and vaginal estrogen. For the next FET cycle, we tried estrogen patches and then injectable estrogen but unfortunately neither produced a thicker lining. Dr. Homer recommended a hysteroscopy to investigate why my lining was not thickening. He was able to remove adhesions and compacted tissue and my next transfer was successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Kacey)
Kacey is the best! I cannot say enough good things about Kacey - she was friendly, compassionate, organized, direct, and always hopeful.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Overall the medical treatment at RSC was an A+. However, as many other reviewers have noted, the finance and billing department brings down their overall rating. We were fortunate to have infertility insurance coverage, and once we met our out-of-pocket maximum the billing seemed to flow seamlessly. However, the initial breakdown of costs was confusing because I did not understand what as covered by insurance and what was not. I wish the financial advisor would help make these distinctions clear. Also, the software they use for billing is very outdated- there is no way to see if there is an outstanding balance on your account or to see what bills you have paid in the past.

2018 - 2021, Unsuccessful
Homer constantly referred me to the unfriendly case manager. Our transfer resulted in miscarriage and Homer has not contacted us to say anything...No personalized treatment plan...He did not perform my mock transfer or transfer. He only performed surgery to remove polyps. I don’t believe he read my previous medical records and just prescribed a standard protocol. He also over prescribed antibiotics which I questioned. No discussion was had just told me through case manager to not take. Very impersonal...
Twice the ultrasound technician [at Reproductive Science Center] did not know how to use the wand and put it in the wrong area which was embarrassing and uncomfortable...appointments are on time and i never had to wait. Billing was an uphill battle so be prepared to work hard at being a mediator between your insurance and rsc...They are understaffed and have too many clients...they schedule your blood draws at 7:30am, transfer and surgery are in San Ramon not Los Gatos...
He did not perform my mock transfer or transfer. He only performed surgery to remove polyps. I don’t believe he read my previous medical records and just prescribed a standard protocol. He also over prescribed antibiotics which I questioned. No discussion was had just told me through case manager to not take. Very impersonal. Bed side manner was ok but not note worthy.
Question everything he prescribes. Double check and make sure he reviews your previous medical records. Push him to explain everything to you. Make him tell you the odds of success. He made us think this was going to be a guaranteed success. Or simply ask for another doctor with more experience.
No phone calls with case manager, only email communication. Homer constantly referred me to the unfriendly case manager. Our transfer resulted in miscarriage and Homer has not contacted us to say anything. He got our money and we got a miscarriage. He has not contacted us at it’s been over a week. We feel like a number and not treated humanely. No personalized treatment plan. We got a blanket treatment plan without my previous medical records being considered.
Pio once a day, vaginal inserts x2day, estrodol 4X a day. No explanation or rationale explained just do it attitude from case manager. Prescribed 5 days of antibiotics before and after transfer just in case infection. I argued rationale and they just said nevermind. I had successfully transfer bit six week scan showed no development. I had to induce a miscarriage
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Rachel )
3rd party new hire case manager. Never spoke to her on the phone. Made inappropriate jokes (insensitive)when trying to start my cycle. She made mistakes with my prescription which sent me to my friends asking if anyone had Lupron to spare. She did the bare minimum and showed no care for me as a human being. Never contacted me when i had a panic attack and never contacted me to see how i was doing at any point in the process.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The only strength is that appointments are on time and i never had to wait. Billing was an uphill battle so be prepared to work hard at being a mediator between your insurance and rsc. The toilet doesn’t always flush in LG and the chairs in waiting area are uncomfortable, they schedule your blood draws at 7:30am, transfer and surgery are in San Ramon not Los Gatos. This is a mentally difficult process and rsc did not help alleviate this but added to our stress. They are understaffed and have too many clients. We did not get the quality service we were expecting.
Total around 15k for one transfer
Describe Michael Vance Homer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Due to my age they only do single transfer
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Case manager called in my prescription a week too late and i had to borrow meds from a friend. She blamed me for the error because I rescheduled my surgery. Dr. Homer told me to stop BC when I should not have stopped. He caught his error and apologized. Toilet dident flush which was embarrassing. Twice the ultrasound technician did not know how to use the wand and put it in the wrong area which was embarrassing and uncomfortable. Day of transfer the doctor did not look at my mock transfer notes and used the wrong size speculum. During a lining check they had me lay on a torn up damaged table which was cutting into my skin during the exam. Fighting billing telling us our insurance does not cover certain things when it did.

2018 - 2020, Successful
[Dr. Deborah Wachs] seemed to understand how taxing the process was for our family...is straightforward, kind, and quite professional (even as I got irritated with our lack of initial success). She has of way of making the unpleasant a little bearable. Her tendency toward tried and true evidence based medicine is mostly an asset, but when that doesn’t work it takes a bit but she will adjust. I found myself pushing for out-of-the-box ideas and finally found success in when listening to her once we got off into less familiar cookie cutter territory. The things that should have worked didn’t but she found something that did.
I was so upset at our luck at IVF I was considering leaving the clinic [Reproductive Science Center]. Seeing other clinic’s caliber of nursing staff immediately drove me back to RSC, especially Judi my nurse. So capable and experienced (over 20 in fertility medicine) she was a joy and comfort to be around in a very sad and painful time...Strengths - communication- the online portal system is nice, nurses and doctors get back to you the same day. Clean and beautiful office that looks new in Los Gatos and San Ramon. Great nurses and sonographers. Ran 90 percent on time, rarely had to wait more than 15 minutes.
How was your experience with Deborah Wachs at Reproductive Science Center?
Dr. Wachs is straightforward, kind, and quite professional (even as I got irritated with our lack of initial success). She has of way of making the unpleasant a little bearable. Her tendency toward tried and true evidence based medicine is mostly an asset, but when that doesn’t work it takes a bit but she will adjust. I found myself pushing for out-of-the-box ideas and finally found success in when listening to her once we got off into less familiar cookie cutter territory. The things that should have worked didn’t but she found something that did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Deborah Wachs at Reproductive Science Center?
Come with questions written down, she’ll have a plan already based on initial evaluation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Deborah Wachs at Reproductive Science Center?
Human, because she seemed to understand how taxing the process was for our family.
Describe the protocols Deborah Wachs used in your cycles at Reproductive Science Center and their degree of success.
Two identical 450 fsh cycles, 3 lupron 450 fsh cycle, and one mini. 3 with hgh.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Judi)
I was so upset at our luck at IVF I was considering leaving the clinic. Seeing other clinic’s caliber of nursing staff immediately drove me back to RSC, especially Judi my nurse. So capable and experienced (over 20 in fertility medicine) she was a joy and comfort to be around in a very sad and painful time.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Weakness - financial department - there’s no way around it. No matter how you pay they make it uncomprehendingly difficult. It’s not because of the cost either just confusing invoices....really late bills. I guess one perk is that they don’t do late fees and have never lost our payments. The main surgical center is an hour away in traffic from the satellite clinic I went to. I didn’t always get Dr. Wachs for my procedures. The second doctor left me way more painful than she did, third was fine... but I really wanted Dr. Wachs for all of my procedures. Really liked Dr. Homer for the office visits, but once again who wouldn’t prefer their doctor they had already developed a rapport with? Strengths - communication- the online portal system is nice, nurses and doctors get back to you the same day. Clean and beautiful office that looks new in Los Gatos and San Ramon. Great nurses and sonographers. Ran 90 percent on time, rarely had to wait more than 15 minutes.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Reproductive Science Center.
Quick, in and out appointments. Printed amounts, get your next appointment and out the door.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Deborah Wachs at Reproductive Science Center.
Very expensive but insurance help cover all of ours.
Describe Deborah Wachs's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Science Center.
Did multiple for us, transferred 3 days...I would guess she’s a eSET doctor as she goes for what’s successful.

2016 - 2019, Successful
He [Dr. Homer] recommended eSET (with normal PGS tested embryos)...really got to know us, what we care about, what we fear, what is important to us. He adapted his advice and communication style to match our particular case, personalities and needs which was very special and appreciated. It's clear that he truly cares...All through the process he was patient, responded to our 1000 questions (we learned a lot about the topic) and was open to adjusting treatment according to outcomes and our preferences. I really couldn't have asked for anything better from him and feel so lucky we choose him. I'd give him 10/10 regardless, but the outcomes were also amazing - we have the coolest awesome daughter from our first round with doctor Homer, are now expecting our second child (the second normal embryo from our first cycle), and have 5 more normal frozen embryos from cycles 2&3.
One downside [at Reproductive Science Center] is that the procedures themselves are done in the San Ramon office which was far away for us...Everyone was always very friendly from the receptionist to the ultrasound technicians. Other doctors I've seen also seemed great. The online portal is convenient and the communication is speedy and efficient. I didn't get to experience the billing department as I had great insurance that covers everything. If that wasn't the case I'd check that to make sure they are okay (don't know).
We came to see doctor Homer after 1.5 years of trying to conceive. From the beginning he was positive yet direct (which we liked and I believe he recognized that at therefore made a point of doing that). He was very knowledgeable, personable and made the whole process feel much easier and even fun. All through the process he was patient, responded to our 1000 questions (we learned a lot about the topic) and was open to adjusting treatment according to outcomes and our preferences. I really couldn't have asked for anything better from him and feel so lucky we choose him. I'd give him 10/10 regardless, but the outcomes were also amazing - we have the coolest awesome daughter from our first round with doctor Homer, are now expecting our second child (the second normal embryo from our first cycle), and have 5 more normal frozen embryos from cycles 2&3.
You won't regret it!
Doctor Homer really got to know us, what we care about, what we fear, what is important to us. He adapted his advice and communication style to match our particular case, personalities and needs which was very special and appreciated. It's clear that he truly cares.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
Lindsay was amazing. Great communicator, patient, knowledgeable and caring. Before that we had Judy that was also very knowledgeable and professional but her communication style didn't fit ours.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
Everyone was always very friendly from the receptionist to the ultrasound technicians. Other doctors I've seen also seemed great. The online portal is convenient and the communication is speedy and efficient. I didn't get to experience the billing department as I had great insurance that covers everything. If that wasn't the case I'd check that to make sure they are okay (don't know). One downside is that the procedures themselves are done in the San Ramon office which was far away for us.
All covered by the insurance
He recommended eSET (with normal PGS tested embryos)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
It was mainly with our first case manager that didn't proactively inform us of the next steps so we were sometimes surprised. When we asked doctor Homer about it he responded right away and provided all the information. We then requested another case manager (Lindsey) and never had any issues with her!

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr Homer is naturally warm and friendly. He always remembers details about my history and care, and also makes sure to explain everything clearly so I am confortable with the course of action taken...He never pushed me to go beyond my comfort level, and unlike some doctors he is not too aggressive in his treatment method. I came in ready for IVF, but he convinced me to try IUI 1 more time, with a different medication than I was using with my previous doctor. We were successful at the first try.
About $600 per IUI cycle [at Reproductive Science Center]...Nice warm environment, quality staff, good support online and offline, well connected technology-wise. I also like that they are connected with natural practitioners such as acupuncturists. Nice warm environment, quality staff, good support online and offline, well connected technology-wise. I also like that they are connected with natural practitioners such as acupuncturists.
I am very satisfied with my experience with Dr. Homer. He never pushed me to go beyond my comfort level, and unlike some doctors he is not too aggressive in his treatment method. I came in ready for IVF, but he convinced me to try IUI 1 more time, with a different medication than I was using with my previous doctor. We were successful at the first try.
Definitely do your homework before you see him. He explains everything in detail but it's always best to be educated in the subject prior to seeing any doctor.
He switched me from Clomid to Femara. I have PCOS and had previously had 4 IUIs with another doctor (not from RSC) that failed. He had me and my husband do the genetic testing to make sure there were no other underlying issues, then did a sperm count for my husband. After the IUI, I was using progesterone supplements until I got my positive result.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay Smith)
Lindsay my case manager is fenomenal. She is very responsive, knowledgeable and friendly. The rest of the staff at the los Gatos office is very professional and friendly as well. I had a negative experience at the San Ramon office because the nurse gave me the wrong timing to administer my trigger shot. This possible caused that cycle to fail. I can never know for sure.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
About $600 per IUI cycle.

1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Dr. Wachs is very compassionate and completely transparent. Dr. Wachs is very forthcoming, but also positive when the situation allows her to be. She spends all the time you need when she is with you. ... Antagonist approach based off of ERA testing we did. Changing protocol for next round. Will had a hormone to improve egg quality. ... Dr. Wachs is very empathetic and available when needed.
There is a lack of communication with billing department [RSC]. I was misinformed about PGS testing. The billing dept. told me my nurse should have told me, which does not make sense since that's not her area of expertise. You must request to sit down with billing person to go over everything and make sure you ask about each line item so you understand what you are paying for.
How was your experience with Deborah Wachs at Reproductive Science Center?
A wonderful, knowledgable doctor who truly cares for her patients. Dr. Wachs is very empathetic and available when needed. Dr. Wachs is honest and open with her patients, so you know she is doing everything she can to help you conceive a child.
I would push to get extra tests done. Ask her to turn over every rock until we find the answer. Sometimes, fertility clinics and doctors wait to do something after a few tries. I want answers after first miscarriage, not after 2 or 3.
Judi is beyond fantastic! Judi always got back to me promptly. All my questions and concerns were handles efficiently. Judi has a lot of patience and is very caring.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
There is a lack of communication with billing department. I was misinformed about PGS testing. The billing dept. told me my nurse should have told me, which does not make sense since that's not her area of expertise. You must request to sit down with billing person to go over everything and make sure you ask about each line item so you understand what you are paying for.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
I was unaware of additional costs for PGS. They did not explain the cost for a set amount of embryos or how PGS works on their end, nor did they set me up to have a conversation with the company doing the test.
Los Gatos

Dr. Wachs was so kind. She was understanding, and warm. ... She was very warm and welcoming. She seemed to be very empathetic about our situation, and always had a smile on her face. She explained everything thoroughly, and seemed optimistic about our treatments. ... My first and second IUI's had exactly the same protocol. ... I don't believe that our negative outcome had anything to do with the care we received.
They [Reproductive Science Center] were always warm and understanding whenever I got bad news, and they always had chocolate and tissues waiting. ... The clinic's phone number goes to the main office in San Ramon, so sometimes communication was a bit difficult. But the office staff was ALWAYS kind. ...Selina [nurse] was excellent with her communication. If I emailed her in the portal, I could expect a prompt response every time. She was very thorough and I appreciated that.
How was your experience with Deborah Wachs at Reproductive Science Center?
If you want a kind, warm doctor, she is the one to go to.
Dr. Wachs was so kind. She was understanding, and warm. I don't believe that our negative outcome had anything to do with the care we received.
My first and second IUI's had exactly the same protocol. My lining thinned out for the third one, so they added Estrace into the mix. It was explained to me that it helped thicken the lining, but then the lining was never rechecked. The 4th IUI I used progesterone suppositories but I never knew why. I understand it was to aid in implantation, but they never drew my progesterone levels to see if that was necessary. None of my IUI's resulted in any kind of pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Science Center. (Assigned nurse: Selina)
Selina was excellent with her communication. If I emailed her in the portal, I could expect a prompt response every time. She was very thorough and I appreciated that.
Describe your experience with Reproductive Science Center.
The clinic's phone number goes to the main office in San Ramon, so sometimes communication was a bit difficult. But the office staff was ALWAYS kind. They were always warm and understanding whenever I got bad news, and they always had chocolate and tissues waiting.
None of our treatments were covered by insurance so it was rather expensive. Every IUI was $1200 out of pocket. Our IVF quote was quite high as well, but that could also be the Bay Area.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Reproductive Science Center.
Nothing major at all, I just had to request records 3 times to be sent to my new clinic before they were sent.