Genetic counseling: Offered
858-436-7186
3661 Valley Centre Dr
San Diego, CA 92130
858-436-7190
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Reproductive Sciences Medical Center to a friend?
Don't recommend: 100%6
4.2

4.2

6.1

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with Reproductive Sciences Medical Center.
This review is for Reproductive Sciences Medical Center (RSMC) and not Dr. Wood's new clinic Gen 5. RSMC was in a great location, plenty of parking, office was clean. For a clinic that busy they could have a larger waiting area. Sometimes I would have to wait in the lobby of the building. The receptionists are friendly and helpful for the most part. The financial coordinator was also helpful and explained each cost thoroughly. The wait could be unpredictable and it would have been great to have someone follow up once or twice to let you know how much longer you can expect to wait. At times I was waiting up to 2 hours.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Samuel Wood at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center?
I was a patient of Dr. Wood at his previous location RSMC. It was an extremely busy clinic, but he always took the time to answer my questions and I never felt rushed. He even performs the ultrasounds himself and I appreciated all of the education I received on my fertility. I expected to be treated like a number because of the volume of patients seen at RSMC, but he genuinely cared about my situation and always made sure that I would not get lost in the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
Kayla was my care coordinator at RSMC who worked directly with Dr.Wood. I cannot say enough about her. She was kind, compassionate and made me feel very comfortable. She was very helpful when I needed further explanation or reminders on the process. She called to follow up frequently and if she was not in the office that day would always make sure I was taken care of by another staff member. She would walk me to the check out desk after each appointment which I thought was very nice.
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center?
How was your experience with Samuel Wood at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center?
I was happy to have found Dr. Wood. His personality is very confident which is a huge help to patients that have been through such an emotional roller coaster as I have. For the first time at a doctor's appointment there were no tears. As unsure as I have always felt about my the future of my fertility he was somehow completely reassuring. He is not the warm and fuzzy provider that some may prefer. He is straight to the point, informative and positive. If you've been through what I have then you will take all the positivity you can get! Each appointment I experienced with Dr. Wood was great. He is honest, provides all options and risks. I always felt comfortable seeing him and knew I was in good hands. I know he is very busy, but I appreciated never feeling rushed. His confidence is key and I trusted him and his abilities to help me along my journey to motherhood.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Samuel Wood at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center?
Don't be afraid to speak up and/or ask questions. He will always explain everything and make sure you understand. The whole process can be so confusing and it is important to gather as much information as possible so you can make informed decisions.
Describe the protocols Samuel Wood used in your cycles at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center and their degree of success.
After the initial ultrasound and thorough exam Dr.Wood suggested that IUI would be the best first course of action. I was instructed to come back to the clinic on day 2 of my cycle for a baseline appointment where another ultrasound is performed to check the ovaries and endometrial lining. Blood work is also done on this day as well. A prescription for Letrozole (Femara) was written to assist with ovulation. I took 2.5mg 4 times a day for 5 days starting on day 3 of my cycle. He preferred Letrozole for me because there are less side effects as opposed to clomid. He was completely spot on. I had taken clomid in the past with a previous doctor and had the worst side effects. I experienced some tenderness in the belly, but not much else. On day 10 I had another office visit for an ultrasound to check for ovulation. On day 12 I was instructed to give myself the trigger shot which was Ovidrel (approximately 10,000 iu). The following day (13 of my cycle) my husband provided his sample (which was examined and washed) and the insemination was performed by Dr. Wood. The insemination itself was quick and took a few minutes. I then was told to stay lying down and was sent home after 15 minutes. One week later on day 20 I had a quick appointment for blood work to test my progesterone level which was at a 25 I believe. A number they were satisfied with. Another week after that which was day 27 I went in for an HCG blood test. I received a call 2 hours later where they informed me the test was negative. Although we did not get the result we expected, Dr. Wood was satisfied at the way I had responded to the the first IUI cycle and he suggested trying another round immediately.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Samuel Wood at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center.
I was a cash pay patient. My insurance did not cover any fertility treatments. The initial consultation is complimentary. To perform an ultrasound the same day was an additional $275. We paid a total of $2058 for the IUI which included the insemination, sperm collection, 3 ultrasounds and all blood work. Medications were not included in that cost. The Letrozole was $8 and the Ovidrel cost approximately $150.
Samuel Wood
San Diego

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Samuel Wood at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center.

2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage
I wouldn’t depend on this staff [at Reproductive Science Medical Center]. Do everything you can to be your own advocate here...ESPECIALLY if you are going through insurance. If I wasn’t on top of the prior authorizations and wording necessary to get things approved, it would have never happened...I don’t care for this clinic...only the dr and embryologist. They cater more to China and make you feel like a number. They are clueless when it comes to prior authorizations and insurance. They are also clueless about what they can legally charge a patient who has insurance that they are contracted with...
2014 - 2018
Anovulation, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Reproductive Sciences Medical Center.
I wouldn’t depend on this staff. Do everything you can to be your own advocate here...ESPECIALLY if you are going through insurance. If I wasn’t on top of the prior authorizations and wording necessary to get things approved, it would have never happened
What specific things went wrong at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center?
Dr Wood has been excellent. He’s very thorough when explaining things. If I had questions or concerns I could call the office and he would either speak to me or call me back. He was also open to research I did on my own.
Look past the staff. Dr Wood and the embryologist are worth it.
Too much to write here. When my lining wouldn’t get thick enough he used an experimental agent that aided in implantation and thickness of my uterine lining. After a cp and mc we added lovenox which resulted in the next 2 transfers both having a live birth...
Describe Samuel Wood's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Reproductive Sciences Medical Center.
He was open to either