Richmond Center for Fertility

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
Fredericksburg
1300 Hospital Drive
Fredericksburg, VA 22401
7603 Forest Ave
Richmond, VA 23229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Richmond Center for Fertility to a friend?
2 doctors
Now that they [Richmond Ctr for Fertility] have moved office locations and joined up with some other doctors in the area, they are much more organized. Getting an appointment is easy and they are always able to fit you in depending on how the dates of your cycle fall. The wait times have improved greatly. The office is very nice looking and well taken care of.... The nursing staff is wonderful. Valerie takes lots of time to make sure you know what the medication schedule is and how to do the injections.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Now that they have moved office locations and joined up with some other doctors in the area, they are much more organized. Getting an appointment is easy and they are always able to fit you in depending on how the dates of your cycle fall. The wait times have improved greatly. The office is very nice looking and well taken care of.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Tidey’s bedside manner is not the best and he doesn’t have the most “warm and fuzzy” demeanor. I did get pregnant and had my son under his care, but I felt he was very quick to push us to IVF without exploring other treatment options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie )
The nursing staff is wonderful. Valerie takes lots of time to make sure you know what the medication schedule is and how to do the injections. She’s compassionate and caring, and you can tell she loves her job and her patients. She is easy to reach by phone and email.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Tidey is very educated in his field and he does care about his patients and it is clear that he is dedicated to his job. However I feel that sometimes I would have to be sure to ask important questions or else I might not find out the information I needed to know. He can be somewhat wishy-washy about what the plan is, and he doesn’t always have a definitive answer to questions about treatment plans. Most of it comes down to bedside manner and the fact that he is somewhat awkward to talk to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Be your own advocate and ask lots of questions. It is important to do your research before appointments so you understand what is going to happen and what questions are important to ask. Know that he is somewhat socially awkward but he is a very good doctor. If bedside manner is important to you, a different doctor might be a good idea.
Describe the protocols Geof Tidey used in your cycles at Richmond Center for Fertility and their degree of success.
When stimming for my retrieval, he was conservative about medication dosages. Our infertility was “unexplained” and I was 28 years old, so he thought I’d be a high responder and wanted to avoid OHSS. We ended up with 6 embryos making it to blast, so this worked for us. We were doing a fresh transfer and we wanted to transfer 2 embryos, but he was insistent on only transferring one. His rationale was that FET’s were slightly more successful at the time so he didn’t want us to waste 2 embryos on a fresh transfer when the odds were better on FET. So we transferred one which resulted in my son. We were glad that we didn’t transfer 2 and followed his advice. Now we are in the process of baby number 2, and we did an FET with 2 embryos. This was successful with one baby but unfortunately resulted in a miscarriage at 6 weeks. He was fine with us transferring 2 embryos on the FET and we will probably do 2 again at our next transfer. He did not recommend PGS testing for us because I was young and he didn’t think we’d have problems with embryo quality.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Full IVF cycle with fresh transfer and ICSI (no genetic testing), and including medications was about $17,000 in 2016. FET was about $4000, not including medications in 2018 IUI with injectables was about $1000 in 2016
Describe Geof Tidey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Richmond Center for Fertility.
See previous response.
Male Factor, Other
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fertility] is the most stressful part of the whole process. I had several appointments cancelled at the last minute. It’s hard enough taking off from work and then having to reschedule to the next day. It was also nearly impossible to reach a person at times. The phones would keep ringing or go to voicemail. I had the office manager’s direct number and that helped immensely! There is now a direct line to the IVF nurse.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is the most stressful part of the whole process. I had several appointments cancelled at the last minute. It’s hard enough taking off from work and then having to reschedule to the next day. It was also nearly impossible to reach a person at times. The phones would keep ringing or go to voicemail. I had the office manager’s direct number and that helped immensely! There is now a direct line to the IVF nurse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
We had a very important appointment scheduled to confirm a heartbeat after a previous loss. At the last minute, our appointment was cancelled and rescheduled to the following day. I told the office I couldn’t emotionally wait another day and would wait all afternoon if needed, or see another doctor. Dr Shah then drove across town from a medical emergency to see us because he knew how important it was to us. We are definitely people to him and he is rooting for us just as badly as we are.
Valerie was very helpful with guiding us through IVF. The other nurses were compassionate. Sometimes the voicemails left were vague and it would be hard to reach her or any nurse, ending up in phone tag.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah is my favorite doctor ever! Aside from God, he is the reason we have a family now and our lives are filled with brightness. He has excellent bedside manner and explains each step of the process. He was accessible 24/7 with any emergent questions or needs. Our road to parenthood was hard and he guided us with his expertise, compassion, and honesty through every step of the way. He was spot on with his percentages and helped us to make the best decisions necessary for our unique needs. I’ve recommended Dr. Shah to everyone I’ve met who is going through infertility. You will be in good hands under his care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Listen to all of your options, ask about odds/percentages, and trust in his recommendations. Following two losses, he knew with certainty that our child was among our remaining embryos. It was hard to believe in that due to the loss, but he was right.
Describe the protocols Anish Shah used in your cycles at Richmond Center for Fertility and their degree of success.
Endometrial patch was used to beef up my lining prior to my successful transfer. Progesterone injections caused painful side effects and he let me switch to injections ever third day, suppositories every day. Baby aspirin daily. Heparin or Lovenox for first and second trimesters.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility.
We did a shared risk program. With ICSI and using our own eggs/sperm, it was $22,000 + medications. For three transfers, including meds it was around $30k.
Describe Anish Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Richmond Center for Fertility.
Dr. Shah educated us on all of the complications, financial and medical, related to having multiples. He did not pressure me to transfer more than one embryo at a time. On our third transfer, he did offer to transfer two embryos but respected our decision to use only one.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fert] seemed like an average, "fine" clinic...The nursing staff was very nice in person and made us feel comfortable while in the office, but seemed to forget where we were in the process or lose track of where we were when we called in...It was clean and new feeling, and I had absolutely no issues with it...There were steps that we were not made aware of. As the male, I had to often rush to get sperm samples tested in short order. This was despite the fact that we were constantly asking what I could do next to stay in line with the program schedule.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic seemed like an average, "fine" clinic. I have no complaints regarding the clinic, but also had no experiences there that led me to believe it was anything special. It was clean and new feeling, and I had absolutely no issues with it. Having not spent much time in clinics, maybe this does actually make it special.
Dr. Shah was very understanding and empathetic during the process. He gave me the responsibility of passing information along to my wife, and kept me involved in the process heavily.
The nursing staff was very nice in person and made us feel comfortable while in the office, but seemed to forget where we were in the process or lose track of where we were when we called in. There were no mistakes made that affected the procedure (to our knowledge, at least) but it is disconcerting to call in and talk to someone who does not seem as organized as you had hoped - especially when considering the cost of the services.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah is an excellent doctor who gives the appropriate level of detail to make treatment explanations thorough but also understandable for non-doctors. In addition, he clearly has an evidenced-based ideology which I personally agree with. Facts - and not emotions or impulses - are what drives his decisions. While even he admitted that there were steps that ended up not working during our cycle, I do believe that he gave us the best possible chance for success.
Dr. Shah is an excellent doctor and trustworthy person. The main drawbacks remain his office staff service.
The costs were high but normal for the procedure.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
The lobby [Richmond Center for Fertility] is warm and inviting, easy to find. The receptionist keeps your information private and wait time has always been top notch. The only weakness I would speak of would be to maybe try doing follow up calls to the patient once a procedure is over such as follow up 15 days after the IUI to see how the patient is doing to see if the next menstraul cycle has began or any positive pregnancy results.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
I would rate this clinic as a 10 out of 10. The lobby is warm and inviting, easy to find. The receptionist keeps your information private and wait time has always been top notch. The only weakness I would speak of would be to maybe try doing follow up calls to the patient once a procedure is over such as follow up 15 days after the IUI to see how the patient is doing to see if the next menstraul cycle has began or any positive pregnancy results. You kind of have to call them if you need to know what the next step would be.
Good bedside manner, very busy practice. Feel a little rushed or that I have to ask questions to really know what to expect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: June)
June is a good communicator. She calls to inform me of medications prescribed and calls them into my pharmacy. She handles my ultrasound appts as well.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah lets you know that you are not alone and assures that pregnancy is an option. He has explained the best case scenario for our situation and he makes sure his staff stays on top of scheduling and ultrasound appts.
If I had to give one piece of advice, I would let someone know that Dr. Shah is personable and you can trust him.
Thus far, Dr. Shah recommended my husband have labs done to make sure he was healthy. He stated that we can't blame the infertility entirely on the female. With that being said, my husband found out he was diabetic, and also has low sperm count. He is currently being treated by a urologist and endocrinologist. He has also had surgery. Dr. Shah suggested for me to be treated for PCOS and recommended a healthy diet. He has recommended me to take Femara for ovulation and be monitored for IUI cycles.
My insurance covers my IUI, ultrasounds and medications except injectable meds. My husband has to pay out of pocket for his wash.
I have not done IVF.
Richmond
They [Richmond Ctr for Fert ] are quite organized and throughough overall. I truly don’t have a single complaint. I do think they are perhaps more expensive than most clinics as they are the only one in town really. They relocated the clinic in 2016, so it’s completely new and modern . Never met a nurse or admin that I didn’t like....Kim Beasley, Dr. Tidey’s nurse is an absolute dream!!! She made the entire experience so wonderful and warm. I don’t think I have ever met such a compassionate and skilled nurse.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
They are quite organized and throughough overall. I truly don’t have a single complaint. I do think they are perhaps more expensive than most clinics as they are the only one in town really. They relocated the clinic in 2016, so it’s completely new and modern . Never met a nurse or admin that I didn’t like. One Saturday, over a Holiday , there was only one doctor on call and one nurse so it was quite hectic and we had to wait two hours for our IUI, but that was the only quasi negative experience.
Although Dr. Tidey is not a man of too many words, he will spend all the time in the world with you to answer your questions. He is very gentle and skilled during the procedures. He listens very well and does not have a hurried or arrogant attitude.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Beasley )
Kim Beasley, Dr. Tidey’s nurse is an absolute dream!!! She made the entire experience so wonderful and warm. I don’t think I have ever met such a compassionate and skilled nurse. None of my IM shots ever hurt when she did them! She was always so kind and sweet and showed so much sincerity with my failed cycles. I just love her!
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
At first I didn’t know what to think because Dr. Tidey is never in hurry and explains everything quite slowly, while being very dry. But as we got to know him we quite appreciated his ways and always felt very confident in his care. He has got to be one of the most gentle doctors I have seen. He did forget about about some things a few times, like getting additional blood work, but all in all I trusted him fully. He takes the time to explain whatever you need. He is not a talkative doctor unless you ask him things, so come prepared and don’t be afraid to ask!
Ask questions as Dr. Tidey is not one to go into detail unless you ask.
Unexplained . Three IUI’s 2x clomid with Gonal F 1x Letrozole with Gonal F
$1200 for IUI $27k for guarantee IVF (under 39 up to 6 cycles ) + meds , each cycle.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
The office staff [Richmond Center for Fertility] is polite, answers questions(with the exception of a few nurses), and is willing to answer all your questions patiently without rushing you. While it's certainly not expected, I've noticed everyone remembers your name!... With this last round of IUI, I wanted my HcG levels drawn to see if they were rising or falling. I had some spotting and was blown off by the nurse when in reality, I was trying to figure out if we were pregnant and miscarrying or just started a period different than normal.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
So far, I've been happy(my husband as well) with our experience. The office staff is polite, answers questions(with the exception of a few nurses), and is willing to answer all your questions patiently without rushing you. While it's certainly not expected, I've noticed everyone remembers your name!
Dr Shah sat patiently with us while explaining our options, allowed us to process the information and ask questions before proceeding. We have had an ongoing dialogue from day one that never felt rushed or inadequate.
I am a nurse and hold my fellow colleagues to a high standard. I felt that at times, I was brushed off and have expressed this with the office manager.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
I very much have enjoyed working with Dr Shah and while we need to move onto IVF, we plan on staying with Dr Shah through that process. He is open mined, willingly to share professional studies(I'm a nurse and really wanted to know this info) and has always been available for questions or concerns.
Make a list of all your questions prior to your visit in order to maximize the conversation.
This was our 3rd IUI with the practice(the first two were with Dr Tidey-who was fine, I just wanted a fresh set of eyes for round 3). We mutually decided that after round 3 of IUI we would move onto IVF. We are currently preparing for that now with a start date hopefully between now or spring 2019
For each round of IUI(we did both meds and shots) it was roughly $2-3,000
we haven't gotten to this discussion yet
Richmond
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fertility] is unorganized, I do not think I have ever had an appointment that wasn't moved at the last minute (nearly every single appointment was rescheduled even during a cycle). They are all individually quite good at what they do, but the collective effort is extremely poor and unorganized.... The nursing staff is extremely unorganized and impossible to get a hold of... I had to call 5-6 times to have them order my medicine before cycle
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is unorganized, I do not think I have ever had an appointment that wasn't moved at the last minute (nearly every single appointment was rescheduled even during a cycle). They are all individually quite good at what they do, but the collective effort is extremely poor and unorganized. There are serious order of operations/organization issues.
The clinic is extremely unorganized as a whole, which at times make you feel like a number vs. a human. Overall, they all individually have the right intentions, but the collective effort tends to be very unorganized and the patients feel that the most.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Valerie)
The nursing staff is extremely unorganized and impossible to get a hold of, it's not their fault, the clinic hasn't figured out a process for patient's that makes sense. They are overburdened and inaccessible.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Dr. Shah is very good at what he does, the only setback is how unorganized the clinic is run. If we are only rating Dr. Shah individually and not looking at the entire process, then I think he deserves a high rating. He is very much an expert in his field and also compassionate, the only issue is they are all veryunorganized and this sometimes makes the patient feel as though Dr. Shah isn't quite "on top of things" with the process.
Be assertive and don't always "trust the process" as the clinic makes mistakes (forget to order meds, lose chart, call you with other patient's info) that you have to point out to them pretty frequently . . .
Around 15,000
eSET
Richmond
For a weakness, it's [Richmond Center for Fertility] kind of a small practice so you will be in the waiting room forever. On the positive side of being a small practice , the doctors and nurses will get to know you and vice versa so that it doesn't necessarily feel like doctor's visits each time. You also always see the same doctor every time which I think is a plus.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
For a weakness, it's kind of a small practice so you will be in the waiting room forever. On the positive side of being a small practice , the doctors and nurses will get to know you and vice versa so that it doesn't necessarily feel like doctor's visits each time. You also always see the same doctor every time which I think is a plus.
Dr.Shah was very easy to talk to and always positive. He explained everything I was going through and answered all questions as needed.
There were only 2 that I met. They are both kind women but one is more personable than the other. Although, they are both helpful if you need anything or have questions.
Don't be nervous! He is a very kind man and is willing to work with you and help you understand your course of treatment.
I would get an ultrasound at cd3 for every cycle when on injections. Pills -- I got an ultrasound the first round on cd3 to check my lining. Every other round, I'd just pick up the pills and get an ultrasound on cd10. If my body wasn't producing any follicles at cd10 then we would up my dosage of whatever treatment I'm on and come back around cd12-cd16. Most every time I had one or two follicles. The last cycle I did, I had too many follicles mature so we had to cancel it.
It really depends on your insurance so it's hard to say what other people will be paying. Each cycle I took pills, I paid $1. For injections, I paid $24 per injection pen. Each cycle I also needed a trigger shot and that was an additional, $20.
2012 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
The only weakness was the my leftover embryos were frozen with a slow freeze process which has caused issues with thawing them and decreased the quality. However, I believe they now use vitrification which is much better....Dr. Tidey was amazing. He was always trying to work out a good course of action for us. He did a consult after every single appointment and never made us feel badly about questions. I always felt like everyone in the office cared about me and treated me amazing.
2012 - 2013
IVF, Donor Eggs
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Dr. Tidey always consulted with us after every visit. He was very straightforward but listened to our ideas.
Compassionate, caring and always willing to answer your questions. It was always possible to speak to someone or receive a call back shortly. I never had to wait a long time for results.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Write down all of your questions. He will take the time to answer them.
We did four donor egg cycles. They were natural cycles so I was only on estrogen and then progesterone during the cycles. He did monitoring ultrasounds throughout the process to ensure the lining was building. At one point, I had to do an estrogen patch as well.
We spent a lot. 38,000 for donor egg ivf. However, we did the shared risk program so we got six fresh cycles. Because of miscarriages, we had to use two fresh and two frozen cycles.
Richmond
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fertility] is very pretty, clean and comfortable. Dr. Shah's office is spacious and it is nice to sit at eye level with the doctor. The lab is conveniently right underneath.... They have a money back guarantee program but it costs more than single cycle around $30,000 including medications and genetic testing.... There was a situation that my husband experienced. He was given negative results from a nurse or employee in the lab instead of the doctor.
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic is very pretty, clean and comfortable. Dr. Shah's office is spacious and it is nice to sit at eye level with the doctor. The lab is conveniently right underneath. We have not had any negative experiences so far.
I feel like I was treated more like a human than a number with Dr. Shah by his honesty and his personal time he spend after working hours.
The nursing staff has welcomed me but not any different than any other general office visit. There was one negative experience where a nurse didn't know how to use the scale to weigh me which is a sensitive subject for me as most people are towards their weight however I am not positive if this was an actual nurse or someone else helping out.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
My experience with Dr. Shah has been great so far! He tries to get to know his patients on a deeper level than just their medical journey. He has great communication skills and is quick to respond. He is encouraging and does not sugar coat anything. I have not had a negative experience yet!
To listen to him and believe that he is making the right decision for you.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The clinic [Richmond Ctr for Fertility] just merged with another in richmond and they now have double the doctors. New facilities are wonderful and all the doctor’s are great. The lab and place they do the procedures is in the same building and just downstairs, so it’s super convenient.... They are always caring, answer questions, and available to talk via phone.... Ivf multicye- $18000 initial payment. Once all meds and other fees were paid- approx $28000
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
The clinic just merged with another in richmond and they now have double the doctors. New facilities are wonderful and all the doctor’s are great. The lab and place they do the procedures is in the same building and just downstairs, so it’s super convenient.
He’s very caring, explains things well and has a great bedside manner. He called me to check on me multiple times
They are always caring, answer questions, and available to talk via phone.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
This far, I see no weaknesses. We did not achieve the result we wanted due to egg problems. He’s a great doctor — very caring, answers all my questions, and calls to check up on me after procedures and when we get results back.
Know all your risks, do your own research and be prepared to ask questions— he’ll answer everything thoroughly.
We did ivf because we had a special morphology problem. We were advised of the chances of success due to age. We did a retrieval and ended up with 5 embryos, which when tested were all genetically abnormal. We did a second round with the same results. Advice now is to do donor eggs.
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Really nice facility [Richmond Ctr for Fert], and very clean. Comfortable waiting room. Very rarely had to wait long to see my doctor. Sometimes hard with getting phone calls returned...Hard time getting short term disability paperwork filled out. Couldn't do it over the phone - had to go in and see someone to get it done.).... The lab used for IVF was not covered by our insurance, even though Dr. Shah was in-network....
Male Factor, PCOS, Other
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Really nice facility, and very clean. Comfortable waiting room. Very rarely had to wait long to see my doctor. Sometimes hard with getting phone calls returned or paperwork filled out (for things like short term disability after my surgeries).
Dr. Shah was so compassionate and always made me feel informed.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Richmond Center for Fertility?
We had a lot of obstacles to overcome, but I always felt like I could trust him to be honest with me, even with hard news. I had to uterus surgeries done by Dr. Shah and he put me at ease and treated me with respect. Our IUIs were not successful, but Dr. Shah didn't give us false hope - he was honest with us that they would likely not result in a pregnancy. That honesty helped us with the process, because we could keep our expectations realistic. When we finally conceived after our second embryo transfer, Dr. Shah and his staff were genuinely happy for us.
Be ready for a difficult journey - but trust that he will guide you through it.
Costs were high. The lab used for IVF was not covered by our insurance, even though Dr. Shah was in-network.
Dr. Shah explained that he likes to start with single embryo transfers first, especially when genetic testing was performed, as a pregnancy with multiples could lead to a higher risk for complications.
Richmond
Everyone [Richmond Ctr for Fert] is very friendly. Hard to get an appointment in the near future as a new patient, but worth the wait. All doctors are kind, intelligent, and patient, which is important as you may need to see whoever is on call if it is on a weekend....[nursing staff] Fantastic. Always greeted me by name and asked how I was doing, both as it related to fertility treatments and life in general...
Describe your experience with Richmond Center for Fertility.
Everyone is very friendly. Hard to get an appointment in the near future as a new patient, but worth the wait. All doctors are kind, intelligent, and patient, which is important as you may need to see whoever is on call if it is on a weekend.
Always made sure my questions were answered. Also greeted me by name. Always asked about anything abnormal/discomfort after treatments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Richmond Center for Fertility.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Richmond Center for Fertility?
Clearly very intelligent and answered all questions. Didn't mind breaking complicated medical answers down into language I understood. Very trustworthy. Only saw another doctor when days fell on weekends and had to visit on call doctor. Made sure I was always comfortable and knew about procedures/medicines I was taking, etc. Only reason I stopped seeing this doctor is because we decided to take another path towards building a family. Overall great experience.
Ask lots of questions.