RMA of New Jersey

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
140 Allen Road
973-258-4081
475 Prospect Avenue
West Orange, NJ 07052
973-325-2229
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New Jersey to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 168Neutral: 21Don't recommend: 99.4
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Many times RMA runs like a well oiled Machine And you are expected to just trust your team. That is not my personality, and I like knowing the details and reasoning for each procedure/medicine adjustment. After explaining this and requesting my documented paperwork - I received more explicit detailed messages and feel happier about the situation... RMA CAN feel like a cattle call. I do not find monitoring hours to be convenient since I still must travel a ways regardless of location. The AM time frames are exhaustingly early and strict. There is no wiggle room in their schedule because they see so many patients in a day. Just know you’ll be there 3+ times a week before dawn - and there will still be a line. I’m getting used to it though.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is the best in NJ. They have the best birth rates and I know three people who have beautiful babies because of their care. RMA CAN feel like a cattle call. I do not find monitoring hours to be convenient since I still must travel a ways regardless of location. The AM time frames are exhaustingly early and strict. There is no wiggle room in their schedule because they see so many patients in a day. Just know you’ll be there 3+ times a week before dawn - and there will still be a line. I’m getting used to it though.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
RMA can be very clinical - you do feel like a number there. Dr. Chu and the rest of the team at Englewood do their best to treat you like a “human”. Honestly, it depends on my mood. Many times I’m frustrated that I am there, dealing with this situation and there really is no amount of personable care that would make it feel less sterile. It’s the situation in itself that makes the process feel like this. I don’t believe Dr. Chu herded is responsible for my feelings though.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lisa)
There were times I was frustrated by the nursing situation. Many times RMA runs like a well oiled Machine And you are expected to just trust your team. That is not my personality, and I like knowing the details and reasoning for each procedure/medicine adjustment. After explaining this and requesting my documented paperwork - I received more explicit detailed messages and feel happier about the situation.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Chu, so far, has been great. I appreciate her candor. Although, I wish I could get a hold of her directly verses having to call my nurse, wait for a response there, then speak with her. But, that’s RMA’s policy not the doctor’s.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
If you don’t mind straight forward advice and no fluff. She’s smart and to the point which I appreciate. You need to understand as a person what type of doctor you need. If you need more emotional support Dr. Cosantini May be a better fit and she’s in the same location.
Describe the protocols Micheline Chu used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I’ve done only medicated IUIs all according to our plan - but extended due to Insurance requiring a “lesser vs. more” policy. I will do 6 medicated iuis and then be allowed to get ivf treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey.
Insurance covered some, but I did hit my innetwork and it of network deductibles. I also suspect I will hit my next year deductible as well.
Describe Micheline Chu's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
No experience here
Micheline Chu
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
In terms of strengths [at RMA of New Jersey], all of the doctors who take part in monitoring are capable and communicative and seem familiar with our case. They are efficient I handling the number of cases that come in during morning hours...Sue [nurse] has been wonderful throughout this process. She is always timely in her communications, thorough in her instructions, and sensitive to the process. I have not experienced any negatives under her care.
1 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
In terms of strengths, all of the doctors who take part in monitoring are capable and communicative and seem familiar with our case. They are efficient I handling the number of cases that come in during morning hours. Also, they advertise top of the industry results in terms of success of live birth rates.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Molinaro’s bedside manner is better than any doctor I have ever seen. He is sensitive to the difficulties of treating infertility, while at the same time honest and open about treatment and expectations. He has personally called on a number of occasions to deliver results and has made himself available to meet whenever we request a meeting.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Susan Welgos)
Sue has been wonderful throughout this process. She is always timely in her communications, thorough in her instructions, and sensitive to the process. I have not experienced any negatives under her care.
How was your experience with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
As mentioned previously, his bedside manner and approachability are two of Dr. Molinaro’s strengths. He is easily accessible for questions by phone, via email, and to meet when necessary. Furthermore, he takes ownership over his prescribed treatment and is willing to make adjustments when things don’t work as expected. The only setback is that we have not been pregnant just yet. He remains positive that we will be successful, so I’m optimistic to continue treatment and look forward to giving it another shot with my next transfer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
Request that he be the doctor doing the embryo transfer if you get to that point.
Describe the protocols Thomas Molinaro used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Dr. Molinar’s overall strategy was probably different than most others experience given I am going through CO-IVF and acting as the gestational carrier for my wife’s eggs. First we had to go through six rounds of IUI to prove infertility. The first three we did without medications and the second three with injections. After six failed IUI attempts with no positive results, my wife was diagnosed infertile which allowed us to advance to IVF. Because her health (back issues) deteriorated over the course of treatment, we decided to make me the carrier. We were able to retrieve 14 eggs from her first retrieval, of which 11 were mature, 9 fertilized, and 3 made it to day 5 blastocyst stage. We tested those three and ended up with 2 grade A embryos. My first transfer did not result in a pregnancy. I was taking 1 ml of progesterone shots nightly leading up to and after the transfer and estrace pills 2 times daily before and after the transfer. My second attempt following the same protocol with the exception of estrace 3 times daily after the transfer resulted in a low beta result which climbed for a few days only to fall about a week later. At first we thought that I was having an ectopic pregnancy, but it was later thought that it had either been an early miscarriage or a chemical pregnancy. We are about to do another retrieval round with my wife as we are out of embryos.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
A line frequently develops at the very opening of monitoring hours, but RMA is efficient at getting through this slight back up. If you show up even 20 min shred after hours begin, there may be 1-3 people ahead of you. I have never waited longer than 20 minutes to be seen though even at the busiest hours.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey.
We had to pay for each vial of sperm though that is not associated with the clinic at all. To date we have spent nearly $10,000 to that end. Because my wife and I have good insurance, RMA collected copays from us until our deductible was reached and then they collected nothing from us when monitoring. Because we ran out of money for fertility treatments under my wife’s insurance we were responsible for paying approximately $9000 for the remaining cost of our first retrieval which included ICSI and the testing of embryos. We decided to pay the cash rate for meds so to not take even more money out of that bucket; this cost us approximately $3500. We are still waiting to see how much my transfers will cost us as it’s possible her insurance will cover some of those expenses. If not each transfer will cost us about $4500.
Describe Thomas Molinaro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
We inquired about transferring multiple embryos and he was not in favor. He informed us of the increased chance of the eggs splitting in such a scenario.
2013 - 2018
Monitoring [at RMA of New Jersey] was super convenient! Super organized and for the most part you were seen fairly quickly...This clinic's strengths include: excellent staff (from the receptionist, lab techs, nurses, doctors and administrative staff)...The team at RMANJ take pride in their work and it shows... I never felt like a bother to Lisa [nurse] and she was always extremely patient with me!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
This clinic's strengths include: excellent staff (from the receptionist, lab techs, nurses, doctors and administrative staff). The monitoring hours are excellent because it allows us to go in for monitoring before work so that we don't have to request time off. The team at RMANJ take pride in their work and it shows.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Rybak always made it a point to make sure I was comfortable. Even during morning monitoring he never rushed me and was empathetic to the circumstances and answered all questions. He has even called me in between treatments (even on the weekend) to make sure that I was "OK" and that we were progressing as expected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Pomponio)
Lisa knew that fully understanding results and treatments were important to me. She always returned my calls same day and addressed all questions and concerns before 5 PM every time I called. If she was not going to be in the office during when I would normally get results or updates from her, she would email or call to let me know and who would be covering for her. I never felt like a bother to Lisa and she was always extremely patient with me!
How was your experience with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Rybak is compassionate, caring, loving and much more than just a doctor. He genuinely cares about me as a patient. He is always honest and never provides false hope or expectations. He cares about how I am doing along in the process and wants to ensure that his treatment plans are not just what he proposes but that we are in agreement.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
If you want a knowledgeable, caring, and someone with an amazing bedside manner than Dr. Rybak is the best choice for you!
Describe the protocols Eli Rybak used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I started with Dr. Rybak back in 2013. Treatments varied from then to now as then we did co-ivf. I was on Lupron 2 week kit, Estrace 2 mg, Medrol, Antibiotic, and progesterone in oil for transfer. My wife was on other medications for retrieval. At the end of 2017 to the beginning of this year, we did 3 IUI cycles. I was on Gonal-F (dosage ranged from 75-100 units). Recently, for retrieval I was on Gonal-F (375-450 units), Ganirelix (250 mcg), low dose HCG (50 units), and Lupron for trigger. I had always responded well to treatments so the protocol was the same for all IUIs and for retrieval I responded well too.
Monitoring was super convenient! Super organized and for the most part you were seen fairly quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey.
Medications were almost fully covered for all cycles during co-IVF, IUIs, retrieval and upcoming transfer. I paid my copays for medications with the exception of Low dose HCG that was not covered and Endometrium. In total, I have paid around $1000.00 in copays. For our first retrieval and first two FET, we paid out of pocket as we were not covered under the NJ state mandate. We paid approximately $22,000. This year, the IUIs were covered under my insurance and we were only responsible for copays and coinsurance. Since we have now reached our lifetime fertility max, we paid $4.475 for the upcoming transfer cycle and about $3,800 for the retrieval. We are waiting for the claims to be processed by the insurance company to determine if we are still responsible for more. In addition to the costs of treatment, we have paid storage fees as well as donor sperm (totaling over $6,000).
Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
I've had several nurses throughout my journey [at RMA of New Jersey]. My first, Kathy Giordano, was amazing. I still keep in contact with her. I had another one transfer and then I asked to have a new nurse after she gave me incorrect details. My current nurse is also fabulous. She answers quickly and is always on top of things...Occasionally it was super swamped but for the most part I was in and out pretty quickly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA makes you feel like a human, not a number. They have always been extremely responsive. I do know they are a bit on the pricey side, but their success rates I suppose make up for it. IF you are unhappy with anything during your experience, speak up. This is your journey and if you are paying OOP for it, it's up to you to speak up. Do your research. Don't just go with the flow. Make sure you understand the protocols.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shefali is the most caring, compassionate doctor I've ever had. I don't think I could've gone through these last two years with a different doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Christine Pierman)
I've had several nurses throughout my journey. My first, Kathy Giordano, was amazing. I still keep in contact with her. I had another one transfer and then I asked to have a new nurse after she gave me incorrect details. My current nurse is also fabulous. She answers quickly and is always on top of things.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shastri (Mavani) has been my RE for the last two years. I've gone through three failed transfers after two hysteroscopies to get a fibroid and one laparascopy to remove my non functional tube. After going through all of the physical issues, we thought we were in the clear. Unfortunately, I had my third failed transfer at the end of June to no avail. The day of the beta, she left me a voicemail almost in tears and then the following Monday, sat with me for an hour and a half to discuss next steps. She hasnt been successful getting me pregnant just yet, but I have the absolute faith that it is coming.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She is a very fast talker, so if you dont understand something, speak up!
Describe the protocols Shefali Shastri used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
For the first three transfers, I was on estrogen twice a day and then PIO injections until the transfer. After the fails, we went a different route for a mock transfer and used Follistim to try to get my lining thicker and then triggered with Ovidrel and then PIO shots. The mock was to test my lining with an ERA test to see if the transfers were on the correct day.
Having a location near me definitely helped. Occasionally it was super swamped but for the most part I was in and out pretty quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey.
I was covered by my insurance for my first 3 transfers. I will be doing another one soon and I was informed the cost would be $6k.
Describe Shefali Shastri's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
RMA will only do 1 embryo transfer I believe (with the exception of rare cases) on the first transfer. My lining wasnt thick enough to transfer two. I am hoping the next one the lining will get thicker and we can transfer two. Dr. Shastri is okay with this.
Male Factor, Other
[The nurses at RMA of New Jersey are] Amazing. On top of my care, kind, courteous, attentive, answers all my questions, works through every detail. We had a special case with our timing and they were always sensitive to that. Just awesome...[monitoring appointments were] Streamline and always quick. They really have it figured out...$1000 to freeze embryos, $300 every time a sprem sample was frozen.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Great hours, accommodating, great doctors and nurse staff, awesome people to draw blood. Friendly and considerate tot he emotional toll of this process. Helpful at answers my questions and making me feel Comfortable
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Doreen Hock at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hock is wonderful. She is so kind, intelligent and truly treats me with such care. She knows how to communicate what is going on in a way that is understandable and clear. She has gone above and beyond for us. All the doctors we have experienced at RMA are that way. I cannot say enough good things about my experience with RMA and specifically Dr. Hock.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Marya Slater)
How was your experience with Doreen Hock at RMA of New Jersey?
She’s is a great communicator, kind, compassionate, intelligent and very thorough. She always insisted that we give her a call whenever we had any questions. She didn’t take any risks and always made sure I was doing what was best for our chances and for me as an individual women going through this process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Doreen Hock at RMA of New Jersey?
Never hesitate to ask her questions or reach out, she really wants to help you.
Describe the protocols Doreen Hock used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
IUI protocol - stims were Gonal - F, and ovidrel trigger Egg retrieval was stims - Gonal- F, certitude, ovidrel trigger. Did need to do Birth Control to delay period for IVF CYCLE
Streamline and always quick. They really have it figured out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Doreen Hock at RMA of New Jersey.
My insurance covers most everything. Have a small copay for some meds. A couple compounded meds I had to pay out of pocket for but could get reimbursement. When I had IUIs only my ultrasound days required a co pay, in IVF cycle I only paid a co pay one time. Nurses do complementary education for PIO shots the first time. CCS testing was out of pocket and included 10 Embryos. More than ten was $125 each to test and then none of the cryo was covered. $1000 to freeze embryos, $300 every time a sprem sample was frozen.
Describe Doreen Hock's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
They always recommend single embryo transfer unless the women is older. They always stress the how high risk multiple pregnancies can be and try to avoid that.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is a huge practice (and let's be honest, it's a big business, too) - you'll definitely sit in waiting rooms with dozens of other couples and realize you're one of a few thousand patients they see every year. That said, the size of the practice gave me lots of confidence that each procedure I underwent would follow best practices. I also felt confident that even if my primary doctor did not perform every procedure, I was in the hands of another highly qualified doctor. I was consistently impressed by the quality of care of nursing, reception, counseling, and financial support staff across multiple offices. And last but certainly not least, I'm impressed by everything I've learned about the quality of RMA's lab and the research that comes out of the practice. I felt like everything about my care was state-of-the-art, best-in-class, and holistic. Even though it's a large practice, I think they go through a lot of effort to consider the patient experience, though I think there are small things they could improve in this regard - like providing more info on your full care team (either on the website or as a packet of info when you first start care), streamlining the educational resources they provide, and/or creating a phone system that's a bit easier to navigate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
While I only had a few appointments in which I formally sat down to speak with Dr. Jurema, it was always clear he had carefully reviewed my files and was familiar with the details of my diagnosis and care. Through calls and appointments, he made time to answer any questions I had. Throughout multiple procedures he was always optimistic, yet realistic - giving me as clear a picture as possible of what I could expect without trying to oversell anything. I also appreciated Dr. Jurema's approach to monitoring visits - entering the room slowly (vs. barging in), taking the time to ask how I was feeling, etc.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lynette)
Lynette was always on top of things - sending me detailed descriptions of care plans and medication plans and responding to my questions quickly and thoroughly. Overall I've found her to be extremely considerate, caring, and professional. The only downsides of the nursing care at RMA are 1) Lynette was my third nurse in about a 6 month time period, which made my experience feel a bit disjointed; 2) I'm not sure if this is more about RMA or individual nurses, but I don't think there's much of an effort to figure out patient's preferred communication styles, e.g. email, phone, time of day, etc. I found I was always missing phone messages and had to follow up via email and some of that could have been resolved if the info was emailed to me from the start or calls weren't always placed during my morning commute :)
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Jurema is friendly and compassionate. During monitoring meetings he always started by asking how I was feeling, which I appreciated. He's very straightforward - I found his descriptions of what we could expect from various procedures to be detailed and realistic, while also optimistic. It never seemed like he was trying to push me toward a particular procedure. I very much felt like I played a role in my care and was able to get all my questions answered.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Let him know what questions and concerns you have. He is always happy to respond and provide more info.
Describe the protocols Marcus Jurema used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We started with two IUI cycles, mostly because that was all my insurance would cover at the time. With a diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve (my AMH level was 0.82), we thought it was worth trying, but we knew the odds of success were low. Both times I was prescribed 75mL of Gonal F per day. The first time I continued the Gonal F shots for 7 days; the second time for 8 days before taking a 750 mcg/0.5mL syringe of Ovidrel as my trigger shot. I was also taking 600mg per day of CoQ10 (a supplement) during both cycles. Dr. Jurema was willing to try another IUI cycle, but my insurance had changed to provide some coverage for IVF, so we decided to move on. During my egg retrieval cycle I took Alyacen birth control pills for 8 days leading up to the cycle, then I took 300 units of Follistim and 75 unit vials of Menopur for 10 days along with 250 mcg/0.5mL syringes of Ganirelix for the last 6 days. I used two Lupron trigger shots at the end. My egg retrieval took place 2 days later resulting in 22 eggs of which 18 were mature. From there we were able to get 12 embryos, which were fertilized via ICSI, and 8 made it on to Day 5 blastocysts. We froze and genetically tested all 8 of those embyros and found 5 were normal, 1 was abnormal, and 1 was unclear. During my whole retrieval cycle I had about 8 monitoring visits. I'm currently in the middle of my transfer cycle and haven't started medications yet, but we plan to transfer 1 of the normal embryos.
I mostly did my monitoring at the Springfield office of RMA. I found the team there to be incredibly efficient. There were one or two instances in which things seemed to be running behind, but for the most part I was in and out with blood work and ultrasound within 15-20 minutes. The team was always kind and professional. The hours were early enough that I could get in and still make my regular commute to work. Occasionally I had to go to the Basking Ridge office during holidays or on weekends and it was often a different story. My monitoring appointments there sometimes took 1-1.5 hours, but I appreciated that I had a weekend option that wasn't much farther than my regular office, and that the monitoring hours were longer at that office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey.
Initially my insurance fully covered IUI but not IVF, so for my two IUI cycles I paid about $650 for initial diagnostic blood work, an HSG, and co-pays for two visits and medications. All my monitoring visits and the IUI procedure itself were fully covered. For my IVF cycle I had a $10,000 lifetime maximum. Total costs from RMA for the cycle were: $7,977 for the egg retrieval procedure; $1,963 for ICSI; $700 for anesthesia; $1,000 for embryo freezing for up to one year; $1,700 for embryo biopsy; $2,500 for genetic testing; and $4,475 for the embryo transfer. So I paid about $10,315 out of pocket for those expenses. I also paid about $5,500 out of pocket for medications for both the egg retrieval and transfer cycles. And I paid about $400 in co-pays for monitoring visits during both cycles.
Describe Marcus Jurema's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
My doctor suggested single embryo transfer, and from what I had read I strongly agreed with this approach. We weighed the risks of multiple pregnancies with the costs of performing procedures (ICSI, embryo freezing, genetic testing) that would help us ensure our single embryo was genetically normal. Ultimately we decided the costs were worth the benefits of an increased likelihood of a normal embryo and healthy pregnancy.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
The appointments seem to run right on time. I don't remember ever spending more than 10 minutes waiting in the waiting room. They [RMA] also have a place on site that can draw blood or test semen right away. Another strength is that they have a nutritionist onsite several times a week too...My nurse did answer some questions if I called the clinic and she would call me back with the answer usually within a day. She would also email me if needed.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I like the location because it is only about 15 minutes from home and work which to me is a positive thing especially when my husband had to take in a semen sample. The appointments seem to run right on time. I don't remember ever spending more than 10 minutes waiting in the waiting room. They also have a place on site that can draw blood or test semen right away. Another strength is that they have a nutritionist onsite several times a week too.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Yih was very straight forward. She did explain things to us and did take the time we needed and were not rushed out of the office. However, there were some very critical things that were over looked by her at the time of our first meeting which ultimately impacted our journey financially.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
My nurse did answer some questions if I called the clinic and she would call me back with the answer usually within a day. She would also email me if needed. She was nice but I still feel that we were not taken seriously because of our ages. when I would contact the clinic about having specific forms filled out I felt like I got the run around and one time we missed getting the forms to the Baby Quest grant people in time because of a miscommunication with either the nursing staff or the doctor
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
How was your experience with Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Yih was very nice and knowledgeable. she always was forthcoming with information and answered our questions. She was usually easy to get a hold of if needed but sometimes I felt like she thought we were a lost cause and not given the same attention as younger patients. Time is not on our side and she pretty much told us that too. I am a very optimistic person and always kept telling myself that this is possible even though times she acted like we were out of our league.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey?
Always stay optimistic even if she says there is little hope. Where this is life there is always hope. Ask a lot of questions and don't stop until you get the complete answer to your question even if it is not the answer you want to hear.
Describe the protocols Melissa Yih used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Dr Yih only did 2 chlomid cycles with us because my insurance would not pay for the ivf at the time. I did a few FSH blood test to see if I still had viable eggs. although my numbers were going up they were still in the range of having viable eggs even though I was 45 years old. I feel she should have tried to take some eggs to freeze and or test to see if they were of a good quality. now that I am 50 I know that my eggs are not a quality that I could use them for my own ivf. Neither of the rounds of chlomid were positive. I was glad to try them because it gave me hope that it definitely could happen for us because if you don't try you have 0 chance of getting pregnant.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey.
my insurance at the time only paid for diagnostic tests and not the actual ivf or iui but it did cover the meds like cholmid. although the first initial visit was about $300 that I didn't have the money to pay for and my fiancée had to pay for it until I could reimburse him (we were not married yet) and now that I have a better job with better insurance it covers most of the office visits and meds but because of the age limit on the mandate it will not pay for the IVF.
Describe Melissa Yih's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Yih did discuss the eSET with us but didn't really comment if it was the best solution or not. I did a lot of research and found that the eSET was actually healthier for the mother not having the stress of carrying multiples and especially because my husband does not want twins.
Melissa Yih
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
As a new patient you should know that the doctor [Dr. Franasiak] and clinical staff [at RMA] are fantastic. * Everyone is very responsive * Scheduling the first appointment if you are new to infertility can be a bit overwhelming as the front desk staff isn't the most compassionate. * The office is always open for morning monitoring even in inclement weather * It's easy to get an appointment...Dayna is thorough and compassionate she has coordinated my care so far and gets back to all of my questions by end of day
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
As a new patient you should know that the doctor and clinical staff are fantastic. * Everyone is very responsive * Scheduling the first appointment if you are new to infertility can be a bit overwhelming as the front desk staff isn't the most compassionate. * The office is always open for morning monitoring even in inclement weather * It's easy to get an appointment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Franasiak and my nurse explained each step of the process from the first appointment and followed up regularly even between visits to check in and make sure that I was doing ok. Before we were able to start treatment we got pregnant on our own which turned out to be ectopic but my nurse and the doctor connected with me daily to see how I was feeling and as we get ready to move forward with treatment they have been very supportive, direct and detailed
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Dayna)
Dayna is thorough and compassionate she has coordinated my care so far and gets back to all of my questions by end of day. When I learned that I would need surgery she was out on vacation and the nurse filling in was great, but what stood out to me is that she even called to check in on me when she returned from her vacation.
How was your experience with Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Franasiak has been pleasant, candid and thorough since my first visit. He explained the details of the treatment options, answered all of my questions and even provided guidance and support through the more emotional side of this journey.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Don't hesitate to reach out to him after an appointment if you have additional questions he is great at getting back to patients.
Describe the protocols Jason M. Franasiak used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We first saw the doctor last summer and continued to try on our own while getting the work up which took a bit longer than usual due to work conflicts then in January we learned that we were pregnant and came in for a workup because of recurring miscarriages at this time we learned it was ectopic. Dr. Franasiaks initial recommendation was methotrexate with monitoring as it was early in the pregnancy and unfortunately that didn't work and I needed a salpingectomy. The methotrexate will be out of my system by May 1st and we will be moving forward with our first cycle
Jason M. Franasiak
Marlton
Joyce Maloney [a nurse at RMA-Somerset] is the most AMAZING nurse... I am SO lucky that I was assigned to her caseload. She is the best... so organized, detailed, compassionate and always followed through. She always called me in a timely fashion with my personal results and thorough directions of what to do next. I wish everyone would have the same experience with their nurse.... The Somerset office has a smaller waiting room, so sometimes it was standing room only.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
A huge strength is how organized they are. Everyone has a job to do and they do it flawlessly, following up with everyone to ensure their treatment moves forward as quickly and seamlessly as possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Treiser made me feel like a human, as she was very warm, listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions. She was great and so supportive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Maloney)
Joyce Maloney is the most AMAZING nurse... I am SO lucky that I was assigned to her caseload. She is the best... so organized, detailed, compassionate and always followed through. She always called me in a timely fashion with my personal results and thorough directions of what to do next. I wish everyone would have the same experience with their nurse.
How was your experience with Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Treiser was very warm and compassionate, listened to my concerns and answered all of my questions. She was great and so supportive throughout the whole process. I started out with another doctor (who since retired) and worked with her moving forward. I chose her specifically because she was the one who ended up doing my transfer. I loved her and her personality, and just felt like she would be the right doctor moving forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey?
Choose her! She has been doing this for so many years and has great experience!
Describe the protocols Susan Treiser used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I don't remember any protocols specifically.
The Somerset office has a smaller waiting room, so sometimes it was standing room only. With that said, they were very good about getting people in and out, so there really wasn't much waiting around. I usually had to be there by 7:30am, which were the monitoring hours. It wasn't a problem for me because it was on my way to work, but that will be challenging next time with a toddler that has to go to daycare (in the opposite direction).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey.
We did owe co-pays during certain visits, but I was very lucky that insurance covered most of our treatment and medicine.
Describe Susan Treiser's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
They [RMA of NJ] also work with out of town/state patients such as myself and accommodate my travel schedule. The weakness would be that maybe there should be some kind of thorough orientation at the beginning of our treatment to better understand the process. Also I think there should have been a better understanding to the fact that maybe these treatments might not work in order to have a more realistic expectation.
Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
2 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA has some of the best success rates around. This is the most important strength of the clinic. They also work with out of town/state patients such as myself and accommodate my travel schedule. The weakness would be that maybe there should be some kind of thorough orientation at the beginning of our treatment to better understand the process. Also I think there should have been a better understanding to the fact that maybe these treatments might not work in order to have a more realistic expectation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hong took the time to listen to me. She also was very sympathetic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Adrienne Frankel and Michelle Cresci)
Both Adrienne and Michelle were responsive within one business day of emails and phone calls. They would seek answers to my questions through the doctor.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hong is a very patient and sympathetic doctor. She always took the time to listen and answer my questions and concerns. I feel like I was always being heard and supported by her. When I didn’t get the results I was hoping for, she would aknowledge my struggles.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Make sure you take an escribe role as a patient and do your research. There may be some questions that you need to raise that the doctor may not raise
Describe the protocols Kathleen Hong used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I started with two retrievals and each on produced few eggs which did
I did my morning monitoring from another clinic since I lived out of state. The few times I did morning monitoring it seemed pretty organized. In the basking ridge location it was fine. From the smaller statelite locations it was very crowded and stressful experience. I really disliked the experience at the smaller offices
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey.
35k for retrievals 40k for donor eggs+ transfers
Basking Ridge
The center [RMA] is clean, modern and professional looking. Everyone is friendly and personal but also respect your privacy. You must come to the practice financially prepared. Deductibles and out-of-pocket fees (except copays) is collected up front in full before any cycle is started...My nurse and nursing staff are very friendly and understand the feeling involved in the process. They returned my calls quickly and was patient with any and all anxiety phone calls.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The center is clean, modern and professional looking. Everyone is friendly and personal but also respect your privacy. You must come to the practice financially prepared. Deductibles and out-of-pocket fees (except copays) is collected up front in full before any cycle is started.
My name is always remembered by all involved. I am always greeted warmly and family is asked about. Nurses follow up with me and make sure all is understood.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Christine Helbo & Patrice Cote )
How was your experience with Doreen Hock at RMA of New Jersey?
Doctor is very friendly, warm and compassionate. Patient in answering all questions. Balances patient needs and wants with what is safe from a medical standpoint. I saw her for my first IVF pregnancy and live birth and chose her in a heartbeat to start next IVF cycke for baby #2.
Stick with it! Don’t give up with negative pregnancy tests or losses. She and the entire practice will be with you to the end.
I started with 1 monitored intercourse cycle, 3 cycles of IUI and then went to IVF with success. Dr. Hock was willing to consider IVF without doing endless cycles of IVF. She recommended implantation of 1 embryo only to reduce the risk with multiples.
There is available monitoring 7 days a week. There is immediate notification to the lab team and ultrasound team when a patient arrives. The waiting room can be busy. A patient is usually sent first for labs and then returns to the waiting room to be called for the Ultrasound (if ordered for that day).
Payment of deductibles or any outstanding balances must be paid in full before a cycle is started. The billing team is willing to work with a patient to create a payment plan but then a cycle cannot be started until it is completed. They are readily available to speak to and check your benefits.
Dr. Hock feels very strongly for eSET to reduce the risk with multiples.
1 Egg Freezing, 4 Embryo Freezing, IVF
RMA NJ is excellent -very organized and yet still very compassionate. The best mix I have found of these 2 important qualities and I have been a patient at 3 clinics total. I think they are among the best in the world right now. They are evidence-based only , which as an MD myself I appreciate but sometimes when I feel desperate I do wish they did more experimental things a la CCRM.
1 Egg Freezing, 4 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Shastri is extremely kind and warm. She hugs me every time she sees me, which some people might not like, but I appreciate it as a single woman going through this process. She has been very sensitive and very available to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Josephine Zeza)
Josephine is great. Very clear, detailed, and responsive. And I always feel like she is totally familiar with my case and my history, which I appreciate.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
I am so glad to have found her. I am really happy with Dr. Shastri's care. She is well-versed in the literature but does not treat me like a number. I was referred to her by one of the docs that had trained her as a fellow - someone that has an excellent reputation and to whom I would go for treatment if my insurance covered it.
ask all of your questions. She talks fast, so be ready to listen carefully and ask for things to be repeated if you need.
I really don't remember other than I did 2 FETs (so far, a third is planned). The first was a medicated protocol which I ovulated through. It ended up being an unsuccessful FET - negative beta with a PGS normal embryo. The second was a natural cycle, which I liked so much better. I wish we had discussed medicated vs. natural upfront because if we had, I would have chosen natural for the first FET. Of course, I'll never know if it would have made a difference. Second FET was a chemical, so at least we got a positive beta! Those were not PGS tested embryos so assume the chemical was due to abnormal embryos given my age of 42 when they were retrieved.
it was usually fine - in and out in an hour or less. much quicker if bloodwork only. phlebotomy is well staffed, efficient and friendly. on weekends you have to travel to the "mother ship" which is kind of a pain but i didn't really mind.
I had insurance coverage so had a $2500 annual out of pocket and then minimal costs. meds were a few hundred $ only for each cycle, also thanks to my insurance coverage.
she did, and I agreed with her.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Strengths: Almost every member of RMA's staff that I have encountered are super friendly and knowledgeable. They are a well-oiled machine and able to get you started on your treatment plan quickly. Weakness: They are a very large practice and you won't always see your primary doctor at every visit. The morning monitoring hours are great and usually move quickly but there were a couple times when I had to wait 20+ minutes for an ultrasound.
Endometriosis, Male Factor
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Jennifer is caring and very organized. I feel comfortable reaching out to her with any questions that I have and she always returns my calls or emails promptly. After learning about my negative pregnancy test, she called me just to see how I was doing.
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Doherty is one of the best doctors I have ever had. I knew that I had found the right doctor after our initial consultation when he spent close to an hour walking me and my husband through the process of IVF from start to finish and answering all of our questions. Since then I have had several appointments and phone conversations with Dr. Doherty and he always takes the time to answer all of my questions without making me feel rushed. Dealing with an infertility diagnosis can be very stressful and overwhelming but Dr. Doherty made it much easier through his compassion and calming demeanor. It is clear that he cares about all of his patients and genuinely wants to help them succeed. For example, after learning that I had limited insurance coverage, he immediately helped me to get into programs that would cover part of my treatment.
Describe the protocols Leo Doherty used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol with a Lupron trigger as I was at risk for OHSS
Describe the costs associated with your care under Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey.
~$12,000 (one cycle of IVF with ICSI and one FET)
Somerset
we travelled far from Brooklyn to RMA because of its lab success rate. Being a carrier for genetic Disease we wanted the best lab...RMA was clean, professional. Never a long wait. Accommodating. Easy to deal with payment and bills. Warm staff. Extremely clean and sensitive to our needs...I spoke with my nurse Rhonda more than I spoke with my mom in a given week. No matter how many questions I had she was always patient and honest. She worked with me when I didn’t want to travel from Brooklyn to NJ for blood work. She was always making my religious concerns a priority.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
we travelled far from Brooklyn to RMA because of its lab success rate. Being a carrier for genetic Disease we wanted the best lab. And thank god we have baby and frozen embryos that are fragile x free. RMA was clean, professional. Never a long wait. Accommodating. Easy to deal with payment and bills. Warm staff. Extremely clean and sensitive to our needs
He prayed with us He laughed with us He personally called me after a negative pregnancy test He related to our religious needs He delt with compassion and honesty He was there for us every minute of our long journey And upon discharge he shook my husband hand firmly with a huge smile on his face. We will see you again for your next baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rhonda Minot )
I spoke with my nurse Rhonda more than I spoke with my mom in a given week. No matter how many questions I had she was always patient and honest. She worked with me when I didn’t want to travel from Brooklyn to NJ for blood work. She was always making my religious concerns a priority. She was always upbeat and funny I always smiled when I spoke with her. She was so organized and made the whole process smooth and not overwhelming. Even though I saw her just once but spoke hundreds of times over the phone. I made a true friend.
How was your experience with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
I am a genetic carrier for fragile x syndrome. My ovarian reserve is extremely low. Going through three cycles in less than a year and a half was extremely emotionally and financially taxing. Dr rybak took away all the fears that comes along with IVF and PGD. He explained procedures well, during retrievals and transfers he was always calm warm and smiling. He made us feel comfortable by speaking to us not at us. A big plus was that he is also an Orthodox Jew and addressed all the complicated questions that come about with IVF. Wether a procedure fell out over the sabbath or holiday or how to get the proper supervision. He always was able to direct us properly. Something he did that really touched us before he transferred to of my frozen eggs he paused and said a meaningful prayer it meant the world to us. I see how he deals with patients of all religions and races and he treats us all the same. His compassion and love for helping bringing new souls into this world means everything to him
Dr rybak is there for you and not only his pay check. He really gives you the time you need to make sure you understand your treatment. He will spend time in office on the phone and really come up with the best plan of action
After each cycle the medications where adjusted each plan was sought through. When We saw after the first cycle I needed a very high dose of gonal-f . After I referred my older sister to dr rybak I told my sister to tell dr rybak we are sisters and if he could go straight to the highest dose of gonal-g because lower didn’t work for me. He listened and thank god they retrieved one 3 eggs . Only one fertilized and made it through PGD and she is joe pregnant
Monitoring hours where during the week from 545-730 even though every seat was filled in waiting room it really was quick and efficient. No extremely long waits.
Describe Eli Rybak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
His approach was single transfer which we agreed upon and was so happy he encouraged that
Englewood
Receptionists [RMA- West Orange] are friendly, though aren’t the best with protecting privacy. The clinic’s secure email system is beyond annoying. Calls are generally returned quickly but there was at least one instance where I didn’t get a call back from a covering nurse on a holiday. They won’t take or dispense excess medication and charge for nurse administration.... Ran tests I had asked not to due to cost and lack of essential nature.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Receptionists are friendly, though aren’t the best with protecting privacy. The clinic’s secure email system is beyond annoying. Calls are generally returned quickly but there was at least one instance where I didn’t get a call back from a covering nurse on a holiday. They won’t take or dispense excess medication and charge for nurse administration.
Dr Hong was kind yet direct, and very adaptive. She carefully considered responses to questions and was honest when there wasn’t an answer she could provide.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jill)
Jill can be difficult. She showed compassion when my cycle was cancelled due to a cyst but was very frustrating to work with around weight, despite me being overweight due to the PCOS I am in treatment for. She can also be quite rigid, so push back if something doesn’t feel right and ask to speak to your MD if she tells you nothing can be done. She was vague in wording with drug instructions a few times as well.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Hong was excellent. She had a good bedside manner but was direct which was appreciated. She took stances and explained what informed her decisions. She gave us excellent recommendations that really considered our circumstances. She informed us of risks but ultimately showed confident decision making.
Ask to speak with her if the nurses give you a hard time. She will almost always make time within a few hours.
Started with 7 days of Alyacen to raise estrogen. Follistim AQ + Menopur. Ganirelix to suppress ovulation and Pregnyl for trigger.
egg retrieval cycle with ICSI was 13k + drug costs (2.5k) including genetic testing with insurance covering 50%.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Nursing care [at RMA of New Jersey] was adequate...The strength of RMANJ is it's size, they don't batch patients, tests, egg retrievals and embryo transfer occur every day of the year, due to the size of the company. The embriology lab is amazing and gets results like no other. It can appear very impersonal, it runs like a well oiled machine, but if you need constant hand holding, it may not be for you.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
She is very kind, the type of doctor that offers you a hug, always give eye contact, never lets you feel like a question is irrelevant or stupid. She has called me, while she was on vacation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jill Hendricks )
Nursing care was adequate but as a nirse myself I feel I needed less than others may
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
She appears to be very evidence based, in her thought process. Doesn't try many, what if approaches. So if you are looking for someone who will try the kitchen sink method, she is not for you. She is willing to try alternative approaches, but doesn't offer them. When I wanted to try something new, she was willing, but didn't think it would change my outcome.
If you want someone who will try every theoretical/ aggressive approach and not something well proven, choose a different physician. She is so kind though and may be better with someone who needs a lot of hand holding.
I had 4 egg retrieval with microdose Lupron flare protocol. The rationale was that I have DOR and it would be the most effective
I had insurance coverage, so not sure of all the costs but I payed approx $4000 on CCD of up to 10 embryos over multiple retrievals and approx $4000 on testing and procedures before my insurance covered at 100%
Morristown
Maryellen [nurse at RMA of NJ] is extremely knowledgable and caring. When I contact her, I always receive a promt and detailed response in easy to understand language. She is a rock for me in this very delicate process...I had a health care cost and billing explanation consultation with a team member before we bagan any treatments to explain my personal health benefits, what my personal responsibilities would include, what my deductible would be, and what treatments my insurance covers before we ever began diagnostics and treatments.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
This clinic is clean, organized, friendly, easy to access, has excellent parking, is easy to schedule, and has been an overall pleasure. The receptionists are courteous and helpful both over the phone and in person. The appointments are staggered well so there is no awkward or inconvenient wait times. The nursing staff is positive, friendly, knowledgable, and outgoing. They explain each step and ensure complete understanding of each phase of diagnosis and treatment. The phlebotomists are capable and pleasant. I have had multiple blood draws and never have to wait and have not had any pain or brusing from any visit. The doctors are knowledgable and caring. They speak to us as humans in terminology we can understand and invite questions. They take their time with each appointment. We never feel like a number or that we are rushed through. We understand each stage and are looking forward to a successful conception under this team’s diligent and skilled care.
Dr. Franasiak does an excellent job explaining each step of our testing, diagnosis, and treatments. He utilizes his nursing staff to maintain excellent patient communication, instruction, and check-ins throughtout each stage. Looking forward to a successful IUI (hopefully this cycle) now that the likely cause of infertility has been identified and treated.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Maryellen Matthews)
Maryellen is extremely knowledgable and caring. When I contact her, I always receive a promt and detailed response in easy to understand language. She is a rock for me in this very delicate process.
How was your experience with Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Exceptional communication and knowledge. Invites questions and even draws figures to explain in visual representation the issues we are encountering. Makes sure we are comfortable and understand each stage before we proceed. He is also an excellent, skilled surgeon and I had no complications from my hysteroscopic polypectomy.
Ask lots of questions. He is a good listener and does an excellent job explaining things in lay terms.
So far I have completed diagnostics and surgical correction. I’ve had Lab work, genetic testing and consultaion with a genetics councillor, I’ve had an uktrasound, and SIS, and HSG, and a hysteroscopic polypectomy. This cycle I will be using Clomid and will be monitored for ovulation and IUI.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey.
I had a health care cost and billing explanation consultation with a team member before we bagan any treatments to explain my personal health benefits, what my personal responsibilities would include, what my deductible would be, and what treatments my insurance covers before we ever began diagnostics and treatments. Everything has been exactly as described at that meeting so I knew going into this treatment what to expect and was financially prepared for the costs associated with my treatment plan.
Describe Jason M. Franasiak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Jason M. Franasiak
Marlton
The front desk [at RMA] is very friendly. My one criticism would be the phone system, it’s not easy to get someone on the phone. Typically you have to get a callback. You have to go through a lot of steps when you’re trying to leave a message and it always seems that you’re “in line” waiting for the next receptionist to pick up the call...While be Breanna always had a very positive demeanor and tone of voice, I just felt like I was getting dribs and drabs of information.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The front desk is very friendly. My one criticism would be the phone system, it’s not easy to get someone on the phone. Typically you have to get a callback. You have to go through a lot of steps when you’re trying to leave a message and it always seems that you’re “in line” waiting for the next receptionist to pick up the call
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She has a warm manner. The way she’s interacted with me made me feel like she really cared about the outcome of my treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Breanna)
While be Breanna always had a very positive demeanor and tone of voice, I just felt like I was getting dribs and drabs of information. Just the immediate next step for the next morning or the next day. I always felt like I had to follow up and ask more questions about what the bigger picture next steps would be.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She is warm and personable as well as knowledgeable. Unfortunately after our first appointment I didn’t feel like we had an opportunity to talk strategy and most of the information I got seemed be on a “need to know” basis or I came with questions but the process is complicated and could use some more detailed explaining along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Come prepared with your questions.
Describe the protocols Maria Costantini-Ferrando used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We used estradiol first. Then low-dose hCG, Cetrotide, and Gonal F. For the trigger it was Lupron and Pregnyl. I responded well to most. Gonal F gave me terrible headaches.
Monitoring hours are between six and 730 in the morning. It’s always crowded, but the blood work typically goes very quickly. Then you’ll go back out to the waiting room and wait for the ultrasound. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the doctor to make it into the room. But generally speaking your in and out within 30-45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey.
For an IVF cycle, insurance was charged $9500. I paid approximately $3000 out-of-pocket which covered the cryopreservation and the coinsurance portion.
Maria Costantini-Ferrando
Englewood
Very nice staff [at RMA] overall, efficient check in process and morning monitoring that’s long enough to get to before work. Facilities are clean and all of the doctors are made up to speed on your records before meeting with you. It could feel factory like from time to time due to the size especially when visiting the basking ridge nj office. Overall it’s a good experience and really organized... morning monitoring hours.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Very nice staff overall, efficient check in process and morning monitoring that’s long enough to get to before work. Facilities are clean and all of the doctors are made up to speed on your records before meeting with you. It could feel factory like from time to time due to the size especially when visiting the basking ridge nj office. Overall it’s a good experience and really organized.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Maguire’s bedside manner is kind and patient
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Beth Harley)
My nurse support changed midway through my treatment. My support has been pretty good with the exception of some confusion once they had a new urologist start with them and had some issues with coordinating with this new doctor for my husband. Some tests slipped through the cracks but overall I have been well supported.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
How was your experience with Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Maguire is kind, patient, and will spend the time talking out all the different recommendations. She shows compassion and hasn’t given up on me. When I first started I was deemed a really easy case and got pregnant the first round but it ended in a missed miscarriage just before the first trimester was about to end and it was with a chromosomally normal embryo. I then went on to have a failed transfer and then an ectopic (which no one ever explained was possible through IVF). The doctors also do not believe in reproductive immunology.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask for all prospective outcomes even if you CCS test an embryo know that it doesn’t guarantee a pregnancy and won’t aid against a miscarriage.
Describe the protocols Marcy Maguire used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
High levels of stims to get the most eggs (said I needed it even though I was 31). When asked about it affecting quality of eggs she does not think so, other doctors may disagree. Transfer protocol is pretty typical estradiol and progesterone. Ask about a natural transfer. All of mine have been medicated and just found out I didn’t necessarily need that. Hysteroscopy should be done for all patients not just saline sonogram. All testing for blood clotting disorders and other auto immune tests should be done before first transfer not after a failure or miscarriage.
I have no issues with morning monitoring hours. A hand full of times there were long wait times but I do think it’s run efficiently and worked well in the morning before work starting very early at 5:30 am to 7:30 am.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey.
A full cycle from retrieval to transfer is approx 20k and meds 4K
Describe Marcy Maguire's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
My doctor selected the highest grade embryo each time. Makes sense.
Marcy Maguire
West Orange
The clinic [RMA- Morristown] was always very clean and organized, with light music making for a relaxed atmosphere. Coffee and water were also available. I appreciated that the clinic had signs indicating that children were not allowed...Dayna was absolutely wonderful to work with. She always provided a full report of my testing results, as well as explained in detail every step of our treatment process.... We had some testing done in NYC prior to visiting RMA, but the RMA doctors asked that we re-do our testing in their offices
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic was always very clean and organized, with light music making for a relaxed atmosphere. Coffee and water were also available. I appreciated that the clinic had signs indicating that children were not allowed, as I know this could cause sadness or anxiety for RMA patients. I was always able to check in very quickly, and never waited longer than my appointment time to be seen.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
Jamie Morris has done a wonderful job of clearly and succinctly summarizing our options for fertility treatment (IUI, IVF), as well as explaining the IUI process once we decided to proceed with that. However, I would have appreciated/benefited from some more information regarding follow up. After the IUI procedure was performed, I didn't receive any further information on what I should be or could be doing to help boost our chances for success, she exited the room fairly quickly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Dayna Browning)
Dayna was absolutely wonderful to work with. She always provided a full report of my testing results, as well as explained in detail every step of our treatment process. She showed compassion as well when I was overly anxious.
How was your experience with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
Jamie Morris was very knowledgeable and did a good job with clearly and succinctly summarizing all of our treatment options, as well as summarized clearly all of the results of our fertility tests. When she performed my IUI procedure, she performed it very quickly and painlessly, which I appreciated. I think I could have benefitted from a little more time spent during our appointments, they always felt a bit rushed. After the IUI procedure, she walked out very quickly, with little explanation on next steps and instructions for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
Come prepared to each of your appointments with all of your questions, so you can ask her at once.
Describe the protocols Jamie Morris used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I took Clomid for 5 days (cycle days 3-7) and had a trigger injection of Ovidrel on Day 16, after my blood-work and ultrasound showed that I was ready to ovulate. I went in on Day 17 and Day 18 for two back-to-back IUI procedures. I have follow up bloodwork on this Friday, Day 24, and an appointment scheduled for next Friday, Day 31, for a pregnancy test, unless the period comes sooner.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey.
My husband and I paid for all costs out of pocket, this has been a very expensive process so far. We had some testing done in NYC prior to visiting RMA, but the RMA doctors asked that we re-do our testing in their offices, which has made this process very expensive for us. I believe we have spent somewhere around $5k-$7k out of pocket already, and might be looking at up to $32k in additional costs if we proceed with IVF.
Describe Jamie Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Morristown
Dayna [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] is energetic, positive and fun. She didn't waste time with all the cliches - "it only takes one" etc - stuff like that. But instead said "hey if it doesn't work, we try again." And I liked feeling like she was going to be with me the entire time through this process...[monitoring] was very efficient - the earlier the faster you were out of there!...I would recommend sitting down with a financial coordinator and having everything priced out for you so there are no surprises!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is VERY expensive, but are the best in the area so after a lot of soul searching - I decided I would figure out a way to have an RMA baby. I would recommend sitting down with a financial coordinator and having everything priced out for you so there are no surprises!
Dr. Morris was very warm and friendly - she would call me directly if I had questions. If she was in the room when my nursed called me, she would say hello in the background.
Dayna is energetic, positive and fun. She didn't waste time with all the cliches - "it only takes one" etc - stuff like that. But instead said "hey if it doesn't work, we try again." And I liked feeling like she was going to be with me the entire time through this process.
How was your experience with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
The main issue I had with IVF was coming up with the money. Dr. Morris understood and never pressured me to start IVF. It took 2 years to be able to save enough for the egg retrieval and Dr. Morris answered my numerous questions over that entire time. She knew I liked to know every detail and every scenario possible and was patient and kind with me. Dr. Morris did a lot of my morning monitoring and always had a smile and often a hug if I needed one. I think if we met under different circumstances we could definitely be friends.
Ask a lot of questions! Dr. Morris is great and will answer all of them! sometimes even with a diagram.
I did "max protocol" for the meds - high dose of gonal. I got 12 eggs - which were more than expected but only 1 made it to day 5 - which was unexpected.
it was very efficient - the earlier the faster you were out of there!
35K
She promotes eSET. I don't have strong feelings on that either way.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey were a] Well oiled machine with amazing nurses that I became friendly with because I was there all the time for so long...It was very clean and never had to wait too long to get in for blood work. It was very supportive and nice that the provided treats on Saturday mornings. The people at the desk were helpful and I formative...For most of my treatment I had an amazing nurse who I had a great repore with and felt that she totally knew her stuff and was always there for me. However, for my final Ivf cycle Kelly had to take a leave of absence and so I was given another nurse, she was horrible and basically it was a good thing that I had gone through so many previous rounds to know that muliple times she was giving me the wrong information.
3 IUI, 4 IVF, Donor Eggs
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Hong was the best doctor I have every worked with. I do not believe I would have gotten through my journey without her by my side. She was extremely caring and I felt like she was looking out for me. I truly felt that she was fighting the fight with me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Hill)
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I might not have seen her every time but she worked a long an amazing nurse who would call me all the time and at any point I felt that the nurse could not answer my question she would call me back within a few hours. She was there trying to figure out the best plan and the safest way to get me pregnant. She was able to explain in understandable terms what was happening as well as what the next steps would be. At the end of my treatment I loved her so much I made her come out of a meeting and we both hug as we said good bye!
She is an amazing doctor and you are lucky to have her on your side
I went through many treatments but basically when they were trying to retrieve eggs or I was going through iui I used gonal F and the highest dose because otherwise my folicals did not grow.
The 3 rounds of iui and 4 rounds of Ivf were covered under my insurance. The donor egg cycle was $48,000. It was about $2400 for genetic testing on the embryos which I did twice.
Describe Kathleen Hong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
I only wanted eSET so it was never even a discussion we ever had
Somerset
[RMA of New Jersey is] Very organized, very clean, very nice. One downside is billing/finance. I found them very hard to contact and a few times my calls went u answered. The staff that does morning monitoring is always happy even that early in the morning... She [nurse] was helpful with testing. But anytime treatments changed she only gave me the new plan I never got the why answered. A few times I had to go directly to Dr M to get that answered. She also didn’t give warning when she went away the week I was about to start treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr M always took time to answer my questions. He also reached out via email or phone calls after each appointment/test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Sara F)
My nurse was great in the beginning. She was helpful with testing. But anytime treatments changed she only gave me the new plan I never got the why answered. A few times I had to go directly to Dr M to get that answered. She also didn’t give warning when she went away the week I was about to start treatment. No other nurse picked up so I felt very out of the loop on what to expect when starting my mediciation. Luckily my pharmacy had a nurse call me and walk me through the meds. My nurse never did that. I brought this up and she was apologetic and if it worked no harm done but if it didn’t I will wonder if her offering tips and more instructions might have made a difference.
How was your experience with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr M explains things very simply. He made sure me and my husband understood everything. He kept very positive but realistic expectations. He never got ahead of where we were in the process, but did outline possible treatment plans. I wish I got to see him more often, as I mostly see other doctors for my monitoring and even my first round of IUI.
Get ready to travel to Freehold and Eatontown. He does initial appointments in Freehodl but doesn’t do follow ups there.
We started with IUI with injections. We used Follistim and started with a very low dosage 50IU a day to start and upping to 75IU the last few days. I had a good response to the meds. I’m currently waiting for the results of the first treatment.
All covered by insurance. So far no treatments have not been covered.
Freehold
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Josephine [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] responded promptly to my calls and needs. A huge issue was with the Finance department, who forgot to include the embryo genetic testing in the price when we paid. This resulted in having to pay it later on the day of retrieval which was stressful and came with other conflicts...The appointments were organized and efficient. The facility is amazing. The staff at morning monitoring are professional and caring. The monitoring window of hours is pretty strict.
1 Egg Freezing (cancer), 1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Know that you can place/insert the ultrasound wand yourself if that is more comfortable for you. You are the one in control of your body and if that helps you individually, the doctors are more than happy to let you place it yourself to avoid discomfort.
The compassion and concern that Dr. Hong has for me cannot be overstated. She took her time to understand what I was going through as a cancer patient, was so caring, and even called to say Hi just to check on me and let me know she cared. A truly wonderful experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Josephine)
Josephine responded promptly to my calls and needs. A huge issue was with the Finance department, who forgot to include the embryo genetic testing in the price when we paid. This resulted in having to pay it later on the day of retrieval which was stressful and came with other conflicts.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
The first visit, Dr. Hong took time to understand what cancer treatments I had going on, and helped figure out the timeline for my fertility preservation. She outlined a timeline for me and gave me all of the pertinent information with colorful coding, complete with drawings and explanations. She continued to follow up with me and reached out to me continuously to address my concerns.
I would advise a friend to put all their trust into Dr. Hong, as she is truly competent and skilled.
I only had a short window for egg retrieval between my surgery and the beginning of my chemotherapy treatments. Dr. Hong had me begin my retrieval shots outside of the typical timeline, and explained it was totally fine and wouldn't result in an inferior quality cycle. She was completely correct.
14,000 for Egg retrieval, Icsi, Genetic testing for couple and genetic testing of embryo, embryo and egg freezing. (Not including medication)
Somerset
Amazing, I feel like I talked to her [the nurse at RMA of New Jersey] all the time. She was very good at explaining this and I never waited to long for a phone call back...Morning monitoring during the week was very quick and simple, I was normally in and out within 20-30 minutes for bloodwork and ultrasound. Weekends can get very crowded because they are their only location in NJ that is open, but after the first time seeing how many people were there I just went first thing in the morning and was in and out.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They are a huge team that works together to help you. They have many locations that you can go to for morning monitoring. I had an issue after my egg retrieval and my nurse wanted me to come in and get checked out, the doctor I saw that day was very thorough and gentle during the process. The one downfall is that on weekends all RMANJ patients have to come to the Basking Ridge location for morning monitoring which can get a little crowded.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey?
I never felt uncomfortable talking to Dr. Werner about any of my concerns. She never rushed us made us feel like we were "just a number" She took the time to explain our genetic disorder to us as well as the process of what we were about to embark on. I never felt as if i was "bothering" her asking numerous questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Adrienne Frankel )
Amazing, I feel like I talked to her all the time. She was very good at explaining this and I never waited to long for a phone call back.
How was your experience with Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey?
I really like Dr. Werner, she has been a big part of our journey. I feel grateful that we had the opportunity to have her as our doctor. Somehow her calming voice has always put my nerves at ease even during difficult times.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey?
Go for it! She was absolutely wonderful during this process.
Describe the protocols Marie Werner used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
After our initial consult ion with Dr. Werner my husband and I found out that we are carrier for the same gene disorder. We needed to have a probe created to be able to test our embryos. This process took a few months. Once we had our probe created, I went straight to stimulation medications on day 3 of my cycle.I was on 275 units of gonal- F and 10 units of low does HGC for 14 days. On day 9 I was instructed to also incorporate a vial of Ganerelix. Two days prior to my egg retrieval my estrogen level was over 9,000. I was instructed to just do a lupron trigger shot to avoid OHSS. They were able to retrieve 30 eggs, 18 were fertilized and 12 were frozen on day 7.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey.
We have a High Deductible plan as well as a $15,000 life time max for fertility. We also had to have a genetic probe created which was not covered by insurance. Total out of pocket $15,000
Marie Werner
IVF, Donor Eggs
I decided to use one of RMA's egg donor...Once we were on the list, we were matched quite quickly. They did have me complete a "test cycle" prior to starting the journey just to make sure that I would be able to get a embryo transfer. They noted that I also had a polyp at that time. Once I was matched, my nurse kept in constant contact with me, reminding me on my meds, appts and everything in between - she was AMAZING as well!
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA Somerset is very organized. They have great hours and are pretty good about being flexible. They are very knowledgeable and I feel like they are just a well-oiled machine with amazing people that work there!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Doherty always took the time to speak with me. Ask me how I was doing, discuss any/all symptoms/questions/concerns! I felt like he truly cared!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Columbo and Patrice)
My nurses were so organized, always available and I do not know how they kept up with each appointment and procedure that I had to get done. She always made sure to have appointments set up - she was amazing!
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
I was given pretty horrific news before I came to see Dr. Doherty. I was in a place with no hope - but just going thru the motions. I had seen a couple doctors prior to Dr. Doherty and still felt like there wasn't much hope. When I came to Dr. Doherty, he was somewhat new to the practice and I didn't have much expectations. But even on that first visit, I felt like he gave me so much hope. There was something about how he went over my options that made me feel optimistic for the first time since I got my devastating news. He made no promises but he made me feel like there were lots of options and definitely gave me that hope that I needed. He made me feel like he cared and would be there with me thru my journey. He is so kind and always has a smile. I can't really put it into words - but his characteristics are not something that you learn, it's something you ARE. I would highly recommend him to anyone and everyone! I honestly just LOVED him!!! I am pregnant with my 1st and know that I will be going back to him when we are ready for our 2nd!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Be open - things may not always happen exactly as and when you expect, but Dr. Doherty and the RMA team never quits!
I was diagnosed with POI, so we always knew that I would need to use a egg donor. Dr. Doherty went thru the whole process with me and gave me more than enough time to think it thru. I decided to use one of RMA's egg donor and my nurse would follow up with me to see when I would want to be put on the list. We took our time just because wee were still hoping that we would somehow naturally conceive but we gave ourselves a deadline. Then we decided to move forward. Once we were on the list, we were matched quite quickly. They did have me complete a "test cycle" prior to starting the journey just to make sure that I would be able to get a embryo transfer. They noted that I also had a polyp at that time. Once I was matched, my nurse kept in constant contact with me, reminding me on my meds, appts and everything in between - she was AMAZING as well! I was pretty delinquent about my appts at first, but she would just follow up and make adjustments accordingly. I only had to have 1 cycle, but they were so helpful. I just couldn't have asked for a better team.
I had to go thru egg donor and embryo transfer - the total cost was about 25K or more.
Describe Leo Doherty's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Doherty said he would support our decision either way but said that he would recommend a single embryo transfer. He showed me some research regarding the risks of a single vs multiple embryo transfer. But let me make the ultimate decision and we did decide to go with a single embryo transfer.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
RMA-NJ is like clockwork...I wish they would do day-3 embryo transfer, they will only transfer day 5's. That said, they have great PGS testing, it's CCS testing and provides a "normal, mosaic, or abnormal" rating... just wished they would have monitoring hours after 8am. I have to get up super early for the appointments as I live far away....[nurse] Jordanna is sweet, humorous, and always gets back to me the same da
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA-NJ is like clockwork. You feel like you've joined some sort of elite fitness club or something, because you can take your "membership" and show up at any of their offices each morning for monitoring and they know who you are and treat you like a valued participant. I wish they would do day-3 embryo transfer, they will only transfer day 5's. That said, they have great PGS testing, it's CCS testing and provides a "normal, mosaic, or abnormal" rating. They will allow transfer of normals and mosaics if you had PGS testing. They have a few different financing options for folks like me who don't have insurance. Their embryology department is amazing. I had to have ICSI done and it worked very well. Their frozen embryo statistics are stellar and are one of the reasons I choose RMA-NJ. All weekday monitoring happens between 6 and 8 in the morning, weekend they are open until 10am. I wish they had later hours.
RMA-NJ is very factory-like in that you just show up at any of their clinics on the days that you are to be monitored and whoever is working there that day does your monitoring. I like that they at least list the names of the doctors on the schedule so I can go to the clinics with the doctors I feel most comfortable with. Generally all communication runs through one's assigned nurse by email and by phone messages, but any time I have specifically wanted to directly speak with my doctor Susan Treiser, I have been pleasantly surprised with how quickly and pleasantly she calls me back and speaks at length with me about whatever I want to talk to her about. She has also called me, instead of having the nurse contact me, at key junctures in my treatment, and she is always the one to talk with me after retrieval and every step along the way in regards to embryo development and testing. There have been tests and medications I have read about and when I bring up a test or a medication adjustment I am wondering about, she has always had good information for me and seems to like talking with me, and has been open to my ideas and suggestions where appropriate.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jordanna)
Jordanna is sweet, humorous, and always gets back to me the same day.
How was your experience with Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey?
I have read about other doctors at RMA-NJ trying novel treatments and I'm not sure anything Dr. Treiser is doing in my situation is particularly novel, but then again, it may be that I have not needed anything novel because I am having good success with the current treatment. Dr. Treiser is easy to talk to and easy to get ahold of and explains everything thoroughly that I ask her about so that I'm not concerned about my questions anymore.
Dr. Treiser can seem a bit quiet at times but if you ask her all your questions and concerns, she will be very kind and talk to you about everything.
I am an older patient (over 40). She never expressed any negativity towards me like other doctors did. I had good AMH, LH/FSH, and many follicles showing on initial visit. She started me on 300 Follistim/Gonal, 150 menopur, then added in Ganirelex a few days later, and then a lupron trigger with an HCG shot. We had very good results with this so it was definitely a good call I think.
Efficient, well-oiled machine, where you feel special and like part of an elite club of patients. I just wished they would have monitoring hours after 8am. I have to get up super early for the appointments as I live far away.
IVF with ICSI at RMA is normally roughly 20000 a cycle without insurance. I got a package with ARC (financing that RMA offers) for 3 cycles with ICSI and 6 transfers, for roughly 40000 financed. They also have an interesting setup for PGS testing where you pay to "buy in" to a package of 10 embryos tested for roughly $4000 where those 10 embryos can be all in one cycle or if not used, spills over to subsequent cycles.
Dr. Treiser and I discussed MY research on transfering embryos and what I thought was best (freeze all, multiple cycles, then transfer one at a time) and she agreed with my sense of where to go.
Somerset
They [RMA] have multiple offices and early monitoring hours which is great. But sometimes because there are so many doctors with differing approaches, results can vary from monitoring and things can be missed...My nurse is very good at calling with instructions or bloodwork results. She is not good at the personal stuff. When my mom died, she did not tell the dr. She also is very abrupt in conversation.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
They have multiple offices and early monitoring hours which is great. But sometimes because there are so many doctors with differing approaches, results can vary from monitoring and things can be missed
I have PCOS and am overweight, Dr. Shastri was very patient for our 1st year of treatment and just kept encouraging me to lose weight. When we finally got cleared for our first treatment cycle, my mom passed away and a month later my father had open heart bypass surgery. During what was an extremely stressful time, Dr. Shastri was extremely supportive. She has encouraged us to continue healthy lifestyle choices and praises the loss we have achieved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Adrienne Frankel)
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Don't be afraid to ask questions and write things down
We used follistim and ovidrel for the iui cycles. The cycles we did not do iui, had the same medications. My body responded very well and a few follicles matured each time. It was also recommended to be on Metformin for the PCOS and synthroid for thyroid levels.
I have not had ivf or transfers yet, that is the next step if this current iui cycle fails.
Somerset
Strengths - Essentially it's a one stop shop for almost anything you need as part of your fertility treatment. I even had a hysteroscopy and polyp removal under RMA and the care I experienced was excellent. So far, I am very impressed with the high level of coordination between departments and the communication and responsiveness - everything from medical and nursing consultations to finance to embryology. Thus far a seamless experience for me as the patient, which is not always easy to come by! Weaknesses - I always have to drive to Basking Ridge for blood work (wish there was a lab closer to me).
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Hong has a really nice approach and 'bedside manner' - each interaction that we've had has been a reassuring experience. She's very detailed and takes time to explain everything and answer questions. She's highly approachable and responsive, even in between appointments.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Dayna Brownin)
I have only had a few interactions thus far with Dayna (we are still in early planning stage for FET), but each one has been very positive. She is highly energetic, optimistic, and empathetic. She is very responsive and takes the time to explain each step and answer my questions. She has exceeded my expectations for nursing support at a clinic as huge as RMA NJ.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hong is very approachable and easy to talk with. She was very helpful in explaining everything and taking the time to answer our questions until we were satisfied. She comes across to me as very research/fact based and practical, which is why I think we immediately liked working with her. She has a lot of energy, but is also caring and sensitive. I appreciate the ability to be able to speak with her directly on the phone even in between appointments. Our treatment plan thus far has changed a few times and she proactively calls me to explain the rationale behind each decision.
Not sure!
We are still too early in treatment planning (FET) for me to answer this well.
We are still in planning stage for FET, but received financial counseling early on. The ballpark cost that we were originally expecting for thawing/refreezing/CCS testing of embryos (none of which would be covered by insurance) would be approx. $6550. In addition, we would be paying for the courier to move our embryos from Boston to NJ = $800. The FET cycle itself is expected to cost $4,475 + upwards of $1600 for medication. My insurance will offset some of this cost.
Dr. Hong was very clear from the beginning that we would do a single embryo transfer. I didn't challenge it.
Basking Ridge
I used the [RMA] Freehold and Eatontown offices for monitoring and honestly have no complaints. Every time was simple and thorough. The staff become more like family to you since you see them so much, or at least that was my experience...The wait was never insanely long...here were some issues thatthe finance office hadn't handled properly and she made sure that everything was taken care of so that we wouldn't have to worry.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I used the Freehold and Eatontown offices for monitoring and honestly have no complaints. Every time was simple and thorough. The staff become more like family to you since you see them so much, or at least that was my experience. The day my positive beta came in, everyone in the office was thrilled for us. It really was great to have all the support from not only your doctor and nurse but every member of the office.
Dr. Doherty took the time to get to know our specific situation. He understood that we had a male infertility issue and helped us figure out the best course of action to have our baby. Even though we did disagree on things such as having donor sperm as a back up, he really made us feel good about our situation. I'm thrilled we chose him as our doctor and I look forward to trying for our second child soon.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nancy Canada)
My Nurse was Nancy, who is no longer a full time Nurse at RMA. She was absolutely wonderful. She was thorough, caring, compassionate and on top of her game. I never had to wonder about any testing, appointments or medications. She was always available to answer any questions I had or help me with a problem. As an example, the day before my retrieval, there were some issues thatthe finance office hadn't handled properly and she made sure that everything was taken care of so that we wouldn't have to worry. I'm sad I won't have her as my nurse when we try for our next baby.
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
I really have no complaints about Dr. Doherty. When we disagreed with each other on the donor sperm issue, he reminded me that he was trying to give me the best chance to have a baby. Luckily our intuitions were right and we didn't need donor sperm but I did like the fact that Dr. Doherty reminded jus of our options. He was always supportive and assisted with any issue I had. He even helped with the issues I had with my insurance company. I couldn't have asked for a better doctor. He's the reason our miracle baby is here today.
Always stand your ground and be vocal about what you want. Never hesitate to ask Dr. Doherty for advice. He will take care of you.
My protocol was very simple. Gonal-f, menopur, cetrotide, trigger, and estradiol. They increased it accordingly. I luckily have a surplus of follicles so stimming was quite easy.
Monitoring was convenient for me because I work in Freehold. The wait was never insanely long. Even when every seat was filled in the office, they moved everyone swiftly. No complaints at all.
Luckily my insurance covered portions of the IVF costs but there are other components that aren't covered. They would be the genetic testing which was $4,000, the medications which totaled $4000 and the acupuncture which was $200. The out of pocket costs are quite extreme especially since even with insurance coverage, there are many parts which aren't covered. My insurance only covers one procedure every 24 months, so if a cycle fails, then everything will then be out of pocket. There is also the storage fee for sperm and embryos which is $1,200 per year for each.
He was very supportive of only one embryo transfer at a time. Especially due to my age, that worked best for us and got us our miracle baby.
Freehold
Huge practice [RMA] which has everything needed for a successful cycle at their fingertips. My husband felt comfortable with them when it came to anything sperm related and I felt comfortable with all practitioners I encountered as well. In the morning for monitoring hours it does get a little busy closer to the end and they do their best to push everyone through in a timely matter while also spending the appropriate time to explain ultrasound findings.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Huge practice which has everything needed for a successful cycle at their fingertips. My husband felt comfortable with them when it came to anything sperm related and I felt comfortable with all practitioners I encountered as well. In the morning for monitoring hours it does get a little busy closer to the end and they do their best to push everyone through in a timely matter while also spending the appropriate time to explain ultrasound findings. In a very sensitive and taboo procedure like fertility treatment, they make you feel human.
Every meeting, every email, every phone call Dr. Hong took time to explain the ins and outs of what was going on and what next steps would look like. She made time whenever I was freaking out and never made excuses for not responding while also making every effort to calm my nerves. She was flexible and easy to talk throughout all three of my cycles (and other treatment procedures).
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jen Dwyer)
Quickly responded to every call/email with kindness. There were definitely times that I was hot headed and she calmed me down with a thorough and detailed response.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I had no clue what to expect going to RMA and the first meeting with Dr. Hong reassured me I had made the best decision possible. She explained the process, what was required, where potential hiccups could happen and of course how the entire RMA staff is there to hand hold my husband and I through everything. I miscarriaged twice - one at 11 weeks when I had already been cleared by RMA - and I can remember our first conversation about restarting and how sympathetic she was to me - I felt like I was her best friend and she was doing everything in her power to support me. The second time I saw the same thing and the promise that we would keep going. She explained how if we tested the embryos it may net a better result - so I did it - without hesitating about the cost - because I 100% trusted her opinion. After our third transfer, which Dr. Hong made sure she was there for to do v. anyone else, I waited to hear the test results. March 7, 2017 @ 7:59a I received a voicemail from Dr. Hong telling me the news. I have yet to delete that voicemail because her positivity, excitement and friendliness still makes me feel warm inside. She stuck with us through so much bad and on November 16, 2017 we received so much good with the birth of our first child. She kept me grounded and upbeat and I owe her everything for our daughter. Looking forward to working with her through the next pregnancy - wouldn't want it any other way.
Do not hesitate to express any concerns or hesitations - she will be honest with you and give you the best recommendation based on a personalized plan. Don't hold back saying something you think may sound silly - it's all important - this is your family!
We received a complete itemized sheets from PGS testing, injectables and medications, processes and co-pays. They went through our insurance info with us and weeded through everything we'd have to pay out of pocket. I am lucky with my husband's insurance that we were basically covered so I don't remember the detailed $s.
Dr. Hong and the rest of the RMA crew definitely have the mentality of one happy baby at a time. While she respected my desire for transferring two embryos, she absolutely vocalized that she would prefer one at a time.
Basking Ridge
[RMA of NJ is a] Big, clean professional outfit. You could have any of the doctors do your monitoring, retrieval or transfer so don’t get too attached to anyone. The monitoring appointments were hit or miss. You could wait a very long time at times. Sometimes stand on a long line and stand ina crowded waiting room. They are strict about payment. They will not give you any instruction until your account shows it’s been paid. No exceptions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Rybak was always compassionate. He took the time to explain things. He made a point to reach out to me by phone. During monitoring and communicating with the nurses it felt less personal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rhonda)
Nursing didn’t feel personalized enough for me.
How was your experience with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
He explained treatment plans. When our results continued to lead to poor numbers he didn’t change the protocol which I wish he would have. He kept being optimistic that the treatment plan was a good one and that it just might result in success at some point. After 4 cycles of the same we decided to go for another opinion.
Discuss other options for changing medication dosages, triggering earlier, transferring 3 day fresh embryos or not PGD testing. It seems he has a set protocol per patient and doesn’t seem to veer from it.
We used menopur, gonal f and cetrotide. We never went over 225 of menopur or 300 Gonal f. We used growth hormone once.
It was tough on my schedule because of limited hours and a lot of people coming at the same time.
My insurance covered most of it. Also with my insurance medications were discounted. Laser acupuncture they provided was not covered although acupuncture is covered by my insurance.
He only wanted to transfer PGD tested embryos
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
They [RMA] are a large practice so you do see a lot of doctors, but all of the doctors at the Somerset office and the ones I met at Basking Ridge were all great. I especially loved Dr. Leo Doherty. He was kind and compassionate and has hands down the best bedside manner of any doctor I’ve ever met in my 29 years of life. The office staff is incredible, the nurses are all kind, and I LOVED the phlebotomist Richmond at Somerset. I was really sad to graduate. My OBGYN is great but the experience doesnt hold a candle to the one I had at RMA. I would recommend them over and over to anyone (and I do!)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is great. I actually have sent a friend there since I graduated, and I know several people who have successfully had babies at RMA, some after years of infertility with no success at other clinics. They are a large practice so you do see a lot of doctors, but all of the doctors at the Somerset office and the ones I met at Basking Ridge were all great. I especially loved Dr. Leo Doherty. He was kind and compassionate and has hands down the best bedside manner of any doctor I’ve ever met in my 29 years of life. The office staff is incredible, the nurses are all kind, and I LOVED the phlebotomist Richmond at Somerset. I was really sad to graduate. My OBGYN is great but the experience doesnt hold a candle to the one I had at RMA. I would recommend them over and over to anyone (and I do!)
Dr. Treiser understood that I have an anxiety disorder, so she would be very frank with me and give me numbers, percentages, etc when she could, because that made me feel more in control/like I knew what to expect. When we had bad news, she would call me herself rather than letting the nurse call me. She also was the one to call us when we had good news as well. After my retrievals and transfer (done by Dr. Leo Doherty because of how the schedule fell), she called to check on me and see how I was doing. Also, after I was no longer a patient, I reached out to her about results on my first trimester screen to ask her opinion and she called me back the same day, and asked me to keep her updated. When I emailed her the results of my subsequent NIPT screening, she emailed me back the same day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Patrice Cote)
Patrice is actually a PA, not a nurse. I felt she was very responsive to my concerns, extremely patient with me (my anxiety got the best of me during this process and she would spend a long time on the phone with me answering my giant lists of questions). She was compassionate and intelligent and I trusted her as much as I trusted the doctors.
How was your experience with Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey?
I felt Dr. Treiser was very candid and forthcoming, and worked with me to find the best way to treat both my infertility and manage my anxiety about the process. I trusted her and felt she absolutely knew what she was doing. I was very happy with her, although she was not my favorite doctor at the Somerset office.
She isn’t the warmest doctor at RMA but she does care, and she is extremely knowledgeable. Be honest about what you need from her and she will do her best to meet those needs and make your process easier.
My first cycle was a typical antagonist protocol because I have PCOS. They expected me to overproduce so they started me on lower doses. However, my body wasn’t responding in the way they had expected. I produced 19 eggs, 16 mature, 12 fertilized with ICSI, and only 2 survived to 6-day blast. Luckily both were PGS normal but Dr. Treiser encouraged us to let her try another cycle to see if we could get better results and bank more, higher quality embryos since we do want more than one child. Our insurance covers IVF and allows banking so we decided to do a second cycle. We did a Lupron down-regulation protocol the second time. Dr. Treiser felt she had learned about my body in the first cycle and that with the Lupron cycle, she could have more control over how my body would react. We retrieved 24 eggs, 21 mature, 19 fertilized, and 14 made it to day 6 blast. 11/14 were PGS normal. We were so happy we trusted her to do a second cycle. I am currently 18w5d pregnant with my first transfer of our best quality female.
Some days were busier than others with monitoring (Mondays and Fridays were busiest) but I learned the best times to go to avoid the rush, and I still felt like I was given enough time with the doctors. On weekends, we had to go a little further to the basking Ridge office because the Somerset office was closed, but the monitoring hours were longer on weekends at BR and I still felt like the wait wasn’t too bad.
My insurance covered IVF luckily, but PGS was out of pocket. We paid $2500 for up to 10 embryos, and then $125 per additional embryo (total $3250). We also had co-pays for visits and meds.
RMA strongly prefers eSET, frozen. Especially if you PGS test. I wasn’t given an option to transfer multiples, especially given my age and the fact that I have no miscarriage history. I’m happy with that decision as I am not sure I could handle twins.
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Clinic is a well oiled machine. We went to Basking Ridge office where Dr. Hong is primarily situated. The waiting room is very elegantly adorned and comfortable...My assigned nurse was very compassionate. When she was in the office, she was very conscientious...[Monitoring Appointments] Extremely easy! 15 minutes in and out. Lab work was done first followed by monitoring appointments with Dr. Hong...We wanted to be sure this didn't occur with RMA and our nurse assured us she'd be available to receive photographs sent by us in an email attachment on our first day of monitoring. After we voiced our concerns, the entire staff responded accordingly
2 IVF, 2 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Clinic is a well oiled machine. We went to Basking Ridge office where Dr. Hong is primarily situated. The waiting room is very elegantly adorned and comfortable. Although we did not get to enjoy it! We did not wait at all for our monitoring appointments. From start to finish, our appointments were 15 minutes long! It was quite remarkable how efficient the staff was as a whole. Always remembering detailed information about both of us. Very, very impressive. :-) The hospital room where I had my retrieval was quite sterile and impersonal. Only a bed sheet separated my partner and myself from other women who had their procedures at the same time.
Dr. Hong is an extremely dedicated and compassionate RE. I had a chemical pregnancy a week prior to the start of my IVF cycle. Dr. Hong actually called me to check in to make sure I was ok! She has understood that I prefer detailed responses to my questions and has adjusted her approach accordingly. Whenever I email Dr. Hong she responds within 24 hours.
My assigned nurse was very compassionate. When she was in the office, she was very conscientious. We were pretty upset when she didn't let us know she'd be out of the office during the beginning of my monitoring appointments. The quality of communication between nursing and my partner and myself is extremely important because we have been monitoring from a different state. We had a nearly canceled cycle at our last clinic because nursing staff and local monitoring clinic did not share vital information about my follicle numbers and growth. We wanted to be sure this didn't occur with RMA and our nurse assured us she'd be available to receive photographs sent by us in an email attachment on our first day of monitoring. After we voiced our concerns, the entire staff responded accordingly. Dr. Hong herself agreed to view the attachments--we had no problem communicating with her throughout our monitoring cycle.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hong is a very knowledgable physician. She understood, based on my hormone levels and AFC count, that an antagonist protocol with estrogen priming would be best suited to me to obtain optimal results. We trusted her completely throughout this process.
Ask her as many questions as you need to! She will definitely respond thoroughly.
My partner and I had a terrible experience at our former clinic. We had 20 frozen eggs thawed---and only 30 percent of those eggs survived. In addition, at the former clinic I also underwent a retrieval and obtained 8 eggs. Out of 11 embryos (from the frozen eggs and fresh cycle), none grew to day 5! Dr. Hong explained that she strongly believed this poor result was due to lab error as well as poor trigger shot timing on behalf of my former RE, but she couldn't be 100 percent sure. Well, she was right! In this cycle we had 6 fertilized embryos and 4 grew to blastocyst stage and 3 were biopsied. We are currently waiting for those results. She doesn't guarantee any will be normal (based on my age), but she timed the trigger shot earlier in order to optimize quality. She also tweaked my medication protocol (raised dose of gonal f to 300 from 225 and raised dose of menopur from 75 to 150 as well as added omnitrope) in order to ensure embryos grew at a faster rate.
Extremely easy! 15 minutes in and out. Lab work was done first followed by monitoring appointments with Dr. Hong. We did see another RE for a monitoring appointment on one occasion. He was impersonal but very efficient and knowledgable.
20k out of pocket
She prefers eSET and I agree with her approach. We don't know if we'll have any normal embryos. But if we do, we will definitely only be transferring one at a time.
1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Samantha [nurse at RMA Morristown] was great. She called me every day when I went in with the results of the U/S and blood work. She was always available by phone and email to answer my questions...I monitored at a different RMA NJ location due to convenience. It's nice to have the option of monitoring somewhere closer to home yet still being followed by your doctor. However, sometimes there is a really long wait during monitoring hours. Could be 15 min to over an hour.
1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
You never feel like a number with Dr Forman. He takes the time to answer all your questions - even if you have million questions. He's always available by email. He is genuinely interested in your success and remembers your specific diagnosis/situation. After my initial consultation with Dr Forman and before I started treatment with him, I had a hysteroscopy scheduled at a different clinic. He reached out by email to see how the procedure went. Meant a lot to me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Samantha)
Samantha was great. She called me every day when I went in with the results of the U/S and blood work. She was always available by phone and email to answer my questions.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Forman is amazing! Nothing bad to say. You can't go wrong with him as your doctor. Very smart and on top of cutting edge research. And excellent bed side manner. A unique combo! Fertility treatment is very stressful, but knowing that your doctor is always available to answer your questions and guide you, makes the process a little less stressful. He truly has your best interest in mind. Other doctors that I have consulted with did not listen to my family planing goals. Dr. Forman listening to my goals and guided us in the best possible way to help us now and in the long term.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Always ask if you have questions. He will answer.
Describe the protocols Eric Forman used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specific dosages. I did 2 retrieval cycles (menpopur, goal F, ganirelix) with HCG and lupron for trigger. We did ICSI And PGS due recurrent pregnancy lost. We did two retrieval cycles for the purpose of storing embryos for the future. We did a single 6 day embryo frozen transfer which stuck. I'm currently 12 weeks. Fingers crossed.
Morristown office was in and out. I monitored mostly in Englewood and there's usually a long wait. Avoid Mondays and Fridays if you can.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey.
Ha! Expensive. Luckily we had some insurance coverage. But that quickly runs out and also our insurance didn't cover thinks like genetic testing and embryo freezing. Blocked out how much out of pocket expenses we had - but definitely worth it.
Describe Eric Forman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Definitely eSET. Dr. Forman explained that with PGS tested embryos the success rate is very high and therefore not worth the risk of carrying multiples.
Morristown
Because RMANJ is so large and has so many locations, you'd think you'd feel as if you were just 'taking a number' when going to appointments. I actually felt the opposite. Each office I visited, each phlebotomist I encountered, each doctor who saw me - everyone made me feel that I was a person with my own specific needs/questions/concerns. I thought I would feel overwhelmed and defeated by going to such a large practice but it was incredibly convenient to have so many offices be open with very early hours for regular blood tests and ultrasounds. I wish there was more than 1 location that was open on the weekends/holidays but other than that, I have no suggestions/complaints.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Forman was extremely thorough in explaining each step of my egg retrieval process. I actually went to him for what I thought would only be a consultation but unexpectedly was diagnosed with DOR. He was incredibly compassionate and caring and was always calm in explaining my options as I was completely overwhelmed. Dr. Forman was readily available to answer all of my questions and he kept checking-up on me to ensure I was feeling well. I was a nervous wreck the day I was scheduled for my retrieval and on top of it all, he was not on the schedule for that specific day to do my retrieval. I was elated and surprised when the nurse told Dr. Forman was actually coming in that day to do MY retrieval! He knew I was scared and anxious throughout the entire process and to ease my fears, he went above and beyond and out of his way to be MY doctor to do my retrieval (on a day that he wasn't even scheduled)! Infertility challenges may be a very difficult and sensitive topic for some people; I spent most of the cycle crying and being stressed/frustrated/nervous/anxious - Dr. Forman did everything he could to keep me focused on the positives and I NEVER felt rushed when I went through my endless lists of questions. Not only is he brilliant, but he is genuine and sincerely cares - he's an incredible doctor and exceptional person.
My nurse became my biggest supporter and I felt as if she was on this journey with me. Always encouraging me and reminding me to stay positive and focused. I absolutely adore Dayna for being genuine and candid. I was able to ask her questions that I would normally be too embarrassed to even ask my girlfriends. It's hard to talk about this topic for me but Dayna was more than just my nurse; it felt like she became my biggest fan. She was always in a good mood when she called me and even when it wasn't the best news, she was incredibly compassionate and knowledgeable. All of the nurses that I met at RMA were lovely but Dayna seemed to go above and beyond with keeping me organized, positive, calm, educated and focused.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Forman is extremely knowledgeable but above all, he is incredibly kind and patient. He is soft-spoken and remains very calm when I have the tendency to get overly emotional and breakdown in front of him. I was confident that Dr. Forman knew the best treatment plan for my specific situation. Dr. Forman is empathetic and compassionate and sincerely cared for how I was feeling during the cycle and after retrieval. I selfishly wish he wasn't leaving the RMA practice because I would love to continue to be his patient. There aren't enough kind words to describe him; he's definitely a rare find when it comes to being seen by a fertility doctor who honestly cares about his patients.
You're incredibly lucky! Bring a notebook to write things down or come with questions because you're going to be given a lot of information to process. Trust that you're in great hands by being under his care.
I am 33 years old; on my initial visit, my AMH was 0.29 and there were 3 follicles seen when I went for my initial consultation appointment. I was surprised to learn I actually had DOR. I was on the antagonist protocol and was on a high dose level of medication and took my trigger shot on the 10th day of treatment. I was solely relying on him and his judgement and was extremely fortunate and happy to have 7 eggs retrieved and 6 frozen.
The Morristown office seems more efficient with blood work and ultrasounds because they have more rooms available. I also went to the West Orange location which would become more crowded than I would prefer because it is a smaller office. I found this entire process to be extremely emotionally draining but regardless to which office I went to, once I saw the doctor, I felt hopeful and encouraged. Visiting Morristown appeared to be a well oiled machine while visiting West Orange, on some mornings when they were busy, it seemed like I was on a slow moving conveyor belt.
I'm fortunate that I had coverage with my health insurance. I hadn't met my deductibles for the year so the price I paid RMA for 2 retrieval cycles along with egg freezing (after insurance coverage) was $4,200; EXCLUDING medication.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
We went for IUI [at RMA] before IVF because we were unexplained infertility. We also did IUI with clomid instead of injections because we were completely out of pocket...one primary nurse. Joyce is always on top of her calls. Whether it's calling you back after you leave a message to answer any questions or to give you results and/or instructions from morning monitoring she always calls you in a timely fashion...There system was once a problem when I went for blood work after my husband was already in.
2 IUI, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA has a lot of patients and they are really quick during morning monitoring to get you out so you can get to work. If you wait more than 20 minutes definitely check with them. My husband and I both had to go for blood work and because we went at separate times they checked him off in the system after he left and it kicked me out so when I went and checked in at the front it didn't register in the back with the phlebotomist. That only happened once. Every other time I've been there it's never been a problem.
Dr. Morris always made me feel at ease. She constantly checked with me during conversations to make sure I was ok (mentally and physically). She wanted to make sure I wasn't too overwhelmed. She even said if ever I felt too overwhelmed to call her and she would chat. She has called me to make sure I understood everything going on and that we were all on the same page.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Joyce Maloney )
Dr. Morris has one primary nurse. Joyce is always on top of her calls. Whether it's calling you back after you leave a message to answer any questions or to give you results and/or instructions from morning monitoring she always calls you in a timely fashion
How was your experience with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
I have been very happy with Dr. Morris throughout this whole journey. She's very knowledgeable and always willing to answer my questions. She always makes me feel at ease. I couldn't ask for a better Dr.
Make sure like with any appointment for any treatment to have a list of questions you may have. There really isn't anything to be ready for with her. She really explains things thoroughly and is willing to go over things in more depth if you don't understand.
We went for IUI before IVF because we were unexplained infertility. We also did IUI with clomid instead of injections because we were completely out of pocket and she explained Dr. Morris explained that the meds could be a lot more expensive and the odds of getting pregnant weren't that much higher.
$$$$$ we were completely out of pocket
Dr.Morris was pro single embryo transfer. We discussed the pros and cons of single vs transferring two embryos since RMA only transfer at the most two embryos. We decided that single was a better option.
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Because we paid out of pocket we purchased a "package" from a third party finance company that works directly with RMANJ that covered the egg retrieval, two transfers, and morning monitoring. This package cost around $16,000. We also paid for genetic testing which cost around $500 and opted for CCS testing which was $2,500...Our nurse Rachel was amazing! She was extremely responsive to emails and phone calls. She answered are questions and concerns thoroughly and in a kind and caring manner. During our treatment process I spoke to Rachel on the phone multiple times a week. She was great!
1 IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMANJ is easily accessible; Multiple locations and hours of operation make morning monitoring and appointment scheduling extremely easy. They offer a wide variety of services beyond fertility treatment like acupuncture, counseling, and nutrition education. RMANJ strives to treat the entire person/couple not just the infertility!
Dr. Forman treated both myself and my husband with the utmost care, concern, and respect. From moment one, Dr. Forman took the time to explain every step of the process (testing and treatment) and thoroughly answered all of our questions. He gave us the information we needed to make autonomous decisions and feel confident with our diagnosis, treatment, and possible outcomes. He and his staff were readily available via both phone and email whenever we had questions. We felt like our concerns and questions were just as important to him as they were to us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Bethune)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
We first met Dr. Forman a few years ago when after TTC for about 3 years on our own. During our first visit with Dr. Forman we were shocked by the amount of information we were given. He was thorough and responsive to any questions we had. At that point in time we were not ready to move forward with treatment due to financial reasons. After switching jobs and moving, my new health insurance covered treatment at another fertility clinic that was much closer to our new home. We made an appointment at the other fertility center and quickly realized that the care was extremely different. Despite the distance and having to pay out of pocket, we returned to Dr. Forman and never looked back! I was extremely nervous about the entire IVF process, and Dr. Forman eased my concerns and gave me the tools I needed to feel confident about our treatment plan. We completed our retrieval which was extremely successful. We did our first transfer about a month later which did not work. Upon receiving the news, Dr. Forman immediately discussed with us a new plan for our next transfer which we were excited about. There was never a pause in care; Dr. Forman was able to keep us focused on our family planning goals. I'm happy to report our second transfer was successful, and I am now in my second trimester. We look forward to continuing to grow our family under Dr. Forman's care!!!
Bring a notebook! You won't remember everything and having notes to look back on is helpful. Dr. Forman is all about patient education...imagine a really thorough high school health class mixed with an advanced college level biology class. That's your new patient appointment in a nutshell!
Because of our fertility obstacles, Dr. Forman said that both IVF and IUI were reasonable options. He weighed the pros and cons of both treatments with us considering our long term family planning goals. Ultimately we decided to do IVF considering my age and our desire to have multiple children in the future. We completed our egg retrieval and opted for CCS testing to test our embryos chromosomes at day 5 after fertilization. All embryos were frozen at this point. About a month later we did a tansfer with one of our normal embryos. We did the standard transfer protocol which included progesterone injections and a timed transfer. Unfortunately this transfer did not work. Dr. Forman reached out to us immediately to discuss strategies going forward. Our next transfer a month later involved the natural approach. It is still medicated, but relies on the body's natural cycle. Dr. Forman felt like I was a good candidate for this option that isn't always the first line of treatment. Our second transfer worked and we are now in our second trimester! Each step of the way Dr. Forman gave us all of our options and let us make our own decisions. Every time we made a decision we felt confident going forward because of the information provided by Dr. Forman.
I found morning monitoring pretty easy. The hours are before a typical work day and occur at all offices. My retrieval cycle was during the holidays and they provided ample notice when hours and locations changed so the transition was seamless. The process was a well oiled machine.
Dr. Forman encouraged us to do a single embryo transfer during both of our transfers. He provided us with information on the pros and cons of both, and we agreed that single embryo transfer was right for us and our future family. It should be noted that we did CCS testing on our embryos so we had an extra level of confidence making this decision.
Morristown
[RMA NJ Nurse] Jen was excellent and compassionate and answered all my questions and took the time. She would get me an answer from Dr. Forman if she didn't know the answer or if I asked her to check with Dr. Forman...Great location, great staff. Front desk now has friendly, happy staff. Initially had a woman who was not pleasant and this made for a negative experience. Would like for am monitoring to have hours until 8am until just 7:30am
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Forman was always very calm, reassuring, and extremely knowledgeable. h He never made me feel like a number. He truly loves what he does and is compassionate. I never doubted his advice or recommendations and felt very confident that he was my fertility physician. My RN Jennifer Graeve was also excellent and compassionate throughout my entire time with RMA. At times the morning monitoring was tough and made me feel like a number because there were so many people in the waiting room, especially on the weekends, but I am not sure if there is a way to fix that as the hours try to accommodate working women which I like.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Graeve)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Forman was always very calm, reassuring, and extremely knowledgeable. He never made me feel like a number. He truly loves what he does and is compassionate. I never doubted his advice or recommendations and felt very confident that he was my fertility physician. He always returned my calls or texts very promptly if I had a question or concern which put me at ease.
Request that he perform all your procedures and have your RN assist with coordinating your schedule and his so that can occur barring weather or emergency scheduling changes. His calming bedside manner and confidence will put you at ease for all procedures.
I had two IUI attempts using Follistim and Ganirelex. Dr. Forman counseled us that I had no anatomic issues that we couldn't try IUI first, although he told us IVF had better outcomes. I insisted on trying IUI first because was less invasive and required less monitoring. Unfortunately they didn't work and we moved onto IVF. My first egg retrieval yielded 6 eggs and 4 embryos, however all four were not chromosomally normal or acceptable for a transfer. One was a mosaic which in the past evidently were sometimes used but Dr. Forman advised me against it unless it was my only option. He assured me that sometimes this can occur and that he has seen women go on to have future egg retrievals and embryos that are healthy. Although I was devastated and frustrated with the process at this point as it was going on almost 8 months of fertility treatment, I agreed to try again, giving myself a month off to regroup. My final cycle and egg retrieval (which was on Christmas Day and we are convinced blessed as a result :) ) yielded about 6 eggs and we had four healthy embryos!!!! We did ICSI and had all the advanced genetic chromosomal testing done and decided to transfer our male embryo the end of February. On March 6th I finally received the news that we were praying for . .. . I was pregnant!!!! I am now 16 weeks and 4 days and all going well! Bloodwork and early anatomy scan normal. We couldn't be happier.
Was a bit like cattle call for am monitoring, although was efficient and wait times were not long. It is a bit tough when you are going through difficultly of infertility and herded in waiting room and called in to line up for labwork and then sit back again for ultrasound. Staff was always pleasant and cheerful, esp the lab techs so that helped but it was tough at times.
I was fortunate to have great fertility coverage until BCBS PPO but even so I met my max before the end of the year for meds and had to pay couple thousand for that (had two IUI, two egg retrievals in one year)
I was nervous only transferring one embryo because many of my acquaintances and friends had had at least two transferred. Dr. Forman was pretty adament in recommending I transfer only one because of my age and the risks of multiple pregnancies. He said the testing has come such a long was that it allows him to choose only healthy embryos to transfer and the rate of success was high with a normal, healthy embryo as ours. So I trusted him and went with one embryo. I am pregnant and he was right and I was able to avoid twin pregnancy with all its risks.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
All of the staff [at RMA of New Jersey] at the clinic are friendly, knowledgeable within their roles, and compassionate towards the patients - it really makes a difference. We left other clinics because we didn't feel that way and are so happy we made the choice to switch...While this is a high volume clinic we NEVER felt like a number (we were very pleasantly surprised by this). And because this is a high volume clinic, they are very knowledgeable and experienced at what they do. They have taken the time and care to create an environment that is warm and comforting for what can be a very draining and grueling process.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing, 3 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Felt like a human because he took the time to sit down and talk with us at every step of the process. He was direct about our odds and still supportive of our making our own decision. We were most appreciativee of his contacting us directly, instead of through a nurse, to provide results of retrieval, fertilization, and embryo progression.
All of the staff at the clinic are friendly, knowledgeable within their roles, and compassionate towards the patients - it really makes a difference. We left other clinics because we didn't feel that way and are so happy we made the choice to switch.
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Jurema is very knowledgeable in his field and took the time to make sure that all of our questions were answered to our satisfaction. Dr. Jurema is very compassionate and empathetic towards his patients. We were most appreciative of the fact that he took the time to contact us directly, instead of through a nurse, to provide us updates on the results of retrieval, fertilization, and embryo progression. We wish all of our doctors, in any profession, were as caring as Dr. Jurema and truly can not say enough positive things about him.
Be prepared for the fact that you will not always see him during monitoring or for procedures, but trust that you are still in caring hands and that he will be following your treatment. Be prepared to receive a lot of information if you seek it.
micro flare with HGH
co-pays, testing fees, embryo freezing fees
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
...Jennifer [Nurse at RMANJ] is THE best! She is calm and caring and on top of things. Jenn would call when she knew I was able to talk (I'm a teacher) and explained everything thoroughly every time. She answered ALL of my questions and calmed my fears when I lost it emotionally. Jennifer became part of my life and I looked forward to talking to her each day. She would even call in between procedures while we were waiting for results just to check in and say hello. She invested herself into our case and called on her day off to congratulate us. I will keep in touch with Jennifer- I love her!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Every staff member at RMANJ that I have come in contact with from the receptionists to the nurses to the financial coordinator have been fantastic to deal with. Smiles in the morning, friendly conversations, and personal attention throughout our journey will always be remembered. It is a large practice, but each person on the team always treated us with care and compassion.
Dr. Doherty always took the time to answer the MANY questions we had and he always did it with a smile. He is kind, caring, patient, and professional. Dr. Doherty made us feel like we were the only patients under his care and went above and beyond every step of the way.
Jennifer is THE best! She is calm and caring and on top of things. Jenn would call when she knew I was able to talk (I'm a teacher) and explained everything thoroughly every time. She answered ALL of my questions and calmed my fears when I lost it emotionally. Jennifer became part of my life and I looked forward to talking to her each day. She would even call in between procedures while we were waiting for results just to check in and say hello. She invested herself into our case and called on her day off to congratulate us. I will keep in touch with Jennifer- I love her!
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
From our first meeting with Dr. Doherty we knew we were at the right place with the right doctor. He listened to our concerns and fears and answered all of our questions honestly and professionally. He set up a game plan that we were comfortable with and took it on with confidence. Our first retrieval was successful with 32 eggs retrieved and 3 embryos to freeze. I was thankful to have Dr. Doherty perform my transfer and was ecstatic to get the call from him saying I was pregnant! Unfortunately, at my 6 week ultrasound Dr. Doherty cautioned us that the baby's heartbeat was a bit slow. We came back two days later to find out it was barely there and the growth had stopped. We went back two days after that and saw Dr. Yi for the ultrasound which showed the faintest of heartbeats. Dr. Doherty personally called us that evening to see how we were holding up. That phone call meant the world to us. After the D&C, testing showed an unbalanced translocation. Since that was my third loss, Dr. Doherty wasted no time and had a karyotype done on us and found that I have a balanced translocation. With that, as relieved as I was to have an answer, I was terrified it was the end of the road for us. Dr. Doherty explained what this meant for us with compassion and was hopeful that with lots of eggs to work with and testing of our embryos, we would get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got ready for another retrieval and were again successful with 45 eggs retrieved this time! Six made it to testing and two were normal. I was again, grateful to have Dr. Doherty perform my second transfer which resulted in a positive pregnancy test! I was terrified that each ultrasound would bring bad news. Dr. Doherty comforted our fears and really helped us get through those first weeks without going insane. If I had a question, he answered it. If I had a concern, he addressed it. It was so bittersweet when we graduated from RMA and Dr. Doherty's care. Happy we made it this far, sad to leave Dr. Doherty and the RMA family that we had come to love.
His calm and optimistic demeanor will get you through the good and the bad. Trust him!
It was a well-oiled machine and did not interfere with work or my day.
We were extremely lucky to have mostly everything covered by insurance. We only paid out of pocket for ultrasound co-pays, cryopreservation, PGD/CCS testing, and acupuncture before and after transfer.
I was sure that transferring two embryos would give us the best odds. Dr. Doherty explained in detail the benefits of eSET with my age and BT. We are so glad we took his advice and transferred one embryo.
Anovulation, Other
I really like RMANJ. You will not see your doctor at most morning monitoring sessions or procedures, but they manage your care. The team works together well to give good care and everyone I encounter seem to have reviewed my chart and be able to answer my questions...The phlebotomists are excellent...[nurse] Kira is always willing to answer our questions and never seems to get annoyed when we have a lot of questions and concerns. She shows both passion and an ability to answer our questions knowledgeably.
Anovulation, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Doctor Hock always called me personally after bad news and discussed all our options. She answers every question in detail and is very kind but also very thorough. She has gotten to know me and my husband personally and seems to genuinely care about us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Kira)
How was your experience with Doreen Hock at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Hock has been very thorough and laid our our treatment plan at every step. She adjusts the plan after each test and every bit of additional information that we receive. I appreciate her honesty, but she also gives news very clearly and kindly.
Don't be afraid to ask questions and make sure you have time to discuss her answers. Dr. Hock will go over all of your questions in detail.
We tried to use the embryos that were generated when I was with a previous doctor. However, after two failed transfers, we did a retreival with RMANJ and Dr. Hock believes that the egg quality will be better. I have also adjusted my diet for several months, which should help egg quality and will hopefully result in a successful transfer.
It is pretty efficient and if you get there early, you won't have to wait long. The phlebotomists are excellent.
We had general copays. We also had to pay embryo cryo and storage fees.
RMANJ believes strongly in single embryo transfer. There have been studies that show that the success rate is higher when only one embryo is transferred. Their theory is that the embryos compete for resources, so it's better to transfer one embryo at a time.
Somerset
It is a very big place with a large staff, but they also take the time to communicate so well! If you have a question or a concern, and your nurse or care team member does not answer, you really can just leave a message and they will respond quickly. They understand how much their patients have riding on their testing and treatment and are all very compassionate to your need to get the information promptly and ease your mind. My husband maybe felt a bit intimidated walking into the facility, but the waiting area is expansive, beautiful, well-decorated, and that somehow made me feel more at home, despite how nerve-wracking facing treatment can be.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
She listened to everything I had to say and she said it really helped her to fill in the kind of gaps you get from just reading the files, of the patients' actual personal experience along the way. I felt like she really heard the agonizing journey we have already been through and acknowledged how difficult it has been. She made a decision how best to proceed in our individual case with our best interests in mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Michelle O)
Michelle O is very positive and kind. I felt so hopeful about our treatment when I was talking with her. She helped me understand what would be involved in my evaluation and where we could go for various aspects of the tests, preferred labs etc.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
She is very knowledgeable and also sensitive to our individual wishes as a couple throughout this process. Dr. Hong helped me understand our course of treatment and what our next steps will be. I feel confident that we are in good hands.
Ask all the questions! She is a wealth of information, but she can also explain things in a clear, concise, need-to-know basis. She will tell you as much or as little as you care to know about every step of the way.
We are waiting to move forward until we find out if we are able to retrieve my husband's sperm through MESA or TESE. She said to call her the very next day and let her know so we can proceed! She decided to hold off on doing a big workup on me, after all the testing I had already been through, because we are OOP and the course of treatment/testing would be completely different for IVF/ICSI or IUI with donor sperm or foster-adopt. If we are able to find sperm to freeze, we will evaluate me and proceed with a freeze-all cycle with ICSI and PGS. Since we would like to transfer all normal embryos, she definitely recommended the PGS so that we don't have the cost and heartache of unnecessary losses, and FET to give my body a break in between ER/transfer cycles. As far as waiting after a successful pregnancy to do each subsequent transfer, she explained that the wait can be a little longer after C-section vs. vaginal delivery, to prevent uterine rupture.
My initial consult with testing will be $450. I was given a complete breakdown including an estimate for retrieval $11,275, plus meds $5k+, anesthesia $600-1200, biopsy $1,700, PGS up to ten $2500, FET cycle approximately $5k.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
I always felt rushed when speaking with the nursing staff [at RMA] and I often would have to ask for info to be repeated or ask for detailed info. This is one area where I feel they could do with some more help...this clinic is amazing and the staff is fantastic....It depended on the day and who was running the monitoring, but 95% of the time it was a quick and easy process... I also loved the collaboration between all the doctors in the practice.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Have paper next to you with questions written down when expecting calls or directions. This process can be overwhelming, but know this clinic is amazing and the staff is fantastic.
Dr Molinaro was hands on with my treatment, and stayed in contact every step of the way. I never doubted our course of treatment or the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
The nurses have the toughest job in this process. I always felt rushed when speaking with the nursing staff and I often would have to ask for info to be repeated or ask for detailed info. This is one area where I feel they could do with some more help. The info I was given was always spot on and fantastic, but it just was so fast
How was your experience with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
I have nothing but positive things to say about Dr. Molinaro. After a really terrible consult with another clinic/doctor, Dr Molinaro was a breath of fresh air. From consult to treatment, Dr. M treated me like a person and I always knew and understood the process and the plan. Another clinic has diagnosed me as the fertility issue due to a large fibroid and wanted me to have a major surgery before even testing my husband. Going to RMA and Dr. M, we learned the fibroid wasn't the issue and in fact it was male factor morphology so we moved right to IVF. Once pregnant, we have a rough couple weeks with concerns of a potential cornual pregnancy and Dr. M was with me every step of the way. I also loved the collaboration between all the doctors in the practice. I was sent to see one doctor who was the fibroid expert and saw Dr Bergh during the early pregnancy because he was the best with our problem. I think it takes a special doctor and team to know whats best for the patient. Amazing follow-up and bedside manner and just a truly wonderful doctor. I have a wonderful 10 month old daughter because of him and we will be starting the process for #2 in the next few weeks.
He is the best! I felt so comfortable and understood so much after 1 visit with him.
We did a estrogen priming cycle for retrieval with Follistim, Novadril,, Garnirelix, low dose hcg and lupron trigger. ICSI was a must for us with our primary infertility issue was male factor morphology. My first transfer was a medicate cycle with was unsuccessful, so for frozen transfer #2 we did a natural cycle and it was a success. Following the same protocol for this round as well.
I have great insurance, so I had a copay at consult, at start of cycle and the pregnancy monitoring.
We had 3 embryos which made it to blast, and our first transfer was an eSET and was unsuccessful. Our second transfer was our choice, and we chose to do a multiple embryo transfer which resulted in a singleton birth.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
The monitoring appointments [at RMA-Basking Ridge] are NOT my favorite. However I have found that there are better monitoring offices than others. After much frustration, I realized that it was better for me emotionally if I drove to the headquarters (40 min drive) as opposed to the office that was more geographic convenient (15 min drive). That literally made ALL the difference...My nurse Michelle is INCREDIBLE. She is the true lifeline through this painful and emotional process.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA has been described as a baby factory, but I think I have been in their care for so long (18 months) that they are like family to me. I think selecting your doctor and nursing team is the best approach so do your homework beforehand as to what doctor you would like to care for you. Even if it means waiting 4 months for an appointment, it is so worth it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Drews at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr drews is a very compassionate doctor. He has humanized me in every way during this painful process and though I have not ended up pregnant yet I feel he is personally committed to me
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Oliviera )
My nurse Michelle is INCREDIBLE. She is the true lifeline through this painful and emotional process. She handles herself professionally, but she also has displayed a great deal of compassion to my situation.
How was your experience with Michael Drews at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Drews is a compassionate and honest doctor. He does not candy coat but he has a way with sharing information that leaves you feeling as if you are of personal importance to him. He provides relevant information in a professional yet compassionate way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Drews at RMA of New Jersey?
To trust that he is personally reviewing each and every one of your scans and would treats each patient as if it was his own daughter. You can feel it.
Describe the protocols Michael Drews used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I have had 1 egg retrieval and 6 IVF cycles: IVF cycle 1- 5 day single FET, estrace 3 x day, PIO 5 days before transfer 1 D&C IVF cycle 2- 5 day single FET, estrace 3 x day, PIO 5 days before transfer, benadryl 3 x day 1 D&C 1 Uterian biopsy IVF cycle 3- 5 day single FET, estrace 3 x day, PIO 5 days before transfer, benadryl 3 x day 1 shot methotrexate IVF cycle 4- 5 day double FET, estrace 3 x day, PIO 5 days before transfer IVF cycle 5 5 day double FET, estrace 3 x day, PIO 6 days before transfer 1 Hysteroscopy IVF cycle 6 - 5 day single FET, NATURAL cycle , endometrin 3 x day
The monitoring appointments are NOT my favorite. However I have found that there are better monitoring offices than others. After much frustration, I realized that it was better for me emotionally if I drove to the headquarters (40 min drive) as opposed to the office that was more geographic convenient (15 min drive). That literally made ALL the difference.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Drews at RMA of New Jersey.
I am VERY lucky. My insurance has covered every single IVF bill except for the genetic testing of my embryo's, which was $5,000 out of pocket (plus my deductible of course). We decided to do a 2nd screening of my embryo's to take advantage of next generation technology and RMA comped this test - free of charge!
Describe Michael Drews's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Drews opinion was that if I wanted 2 babies to put in 2 embryos. It was the recommendation of Maternal Fetal Medicine dr. to start to put 2 in to net 1.
Michael Drews
Basking Ridge
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Tubal Blockage
RMA is an amazing clinic where yiu are treated as more than just a number. All staff is very knowledgeable and caring. They work with your specific needs and have convenient operating hours for full-time working patients.... Gwendolyn [a nurse] is very knowledgeable and prompt in returning phone calls, answering questions and giving results. She is very caring.... Morning monitoring is very well run at this clinic. Walk in monitoring hours run on a first come first served basis. Hours are between 6-7:30 which is extremely convenient as a full-time working patient.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Shefali Shastri really cares about her patients. She will take the time to give a call when needed to make sure that you are doing well emotionally and physically throughout the entire process. She is prompt in returning phone calls and answering any and all questions throughout the process. She is also there to support during times of disappointment or grief. She is an amazing doctor!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Gwendolyn Plaza )
Gwendolyn is very knowledgeable and prompt in returning phone calls, answering questions and giving results. She is very caring .
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Shefali Shastri is a very skilled and knowledgeable reproductive endocrinologist. She is realistic in her expectations and explains all diagnosis, procedures, and results throughout treatment. She is kind, caring and compassionate. Dr. Shastri puts her all into her work, and will do all that she can to get a positive result. I would recommend her to anyone who is looking for a great RE.
Do not be afraid to ask questions! Dr. Shastri wants you to fully understand what is happening every step of the way. She is always there to answer any questions that you may have.
IVF cycle #1: September, 2016 450 units Follistim 20 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 10 eggs retrieved, 2 blast embryos, 1 ccs normal male IVF#2/IUI: October, 2016 cancelled and converted to IUI 450 units follistim 20 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 2 follicles developed on right side (with only remaining tube). Therefore, the cycle was changed to IUI to see if we would have a successful IUI attempt. Negative beta IVF #3: November, 2016 450 units follistim 40 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 6 eggs retrieved, 2 blast embryos, 1 CCS normal male *increased stim protocol for better egg response Transfer #1: December, 2016 1 mg esteogen twice daily 5 days prior to transfer: 1 mL progesterone in sesame oil 1mL progesterone in sesame oil continued until beta test Antibiotic for 7 days during Antibacterial cream inserted vaginally prior to transfer Progesterone inserted vaginally prior to transfer on the day of 1 4BB male transfered Negative beta IVF #4: 450 units Follistim 40 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 16 eggs retrieved, 2 blast embryos, 0 CCS normal IVF #5: 450 units Follistim 50 units low dose HCG Ganirelix Pregnyl trigger 7 eggs retrieved, 1 blast embryo, 0 CCS normal *increased stim protocol for better egg response
Insurance covered all infertility treatments in full with an unlimited lifetime maximum. Only had to pay office copay $35 and prescription drug copays. CCS testing for up to 10 embryos over multiple cycles $6,500.
Dr. Shastri recommended a single embryo transfer to avoid an "at risk" pregnancy. She felt there were better chances for success with transfering one embryo.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Regular daytime appointments [at RMA West Orange] went smoothly and the receptionists are always friendly and nice asking about your day, etc. the issue with this specific site is the waiting room and monitor waiting room is. It big enough. It is packed to the brim most mornings I went and sometimes I had no place to sit down. Also the wait time can be 1 hour at least maybe longer depending on how many people show up and what time you come. I stopped going and went to basking ridge instead where it was 15 minutes for blood work and ultrasound with a big waiting room and more staffing. At the first place they only had 1 doctor to do the ultrasounds.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Regular daytime appointments went smoothly and the receptionists are always friendly and nice asking about your day, etc. the issue with this specific site is the waiting room and monitor waiting room is. It big enough. It is packed to the brim most mornings I went and sometimes I had no place to sit down. Also the wait time can be 1 hour at least maybe longer depending on how many people show up and what time you come. I stopped going and went to basking ridge instead where it was 15 minutes for blood work and ultrasound with a big waiting room and more staffing. At the first place they only had 1 doctor to do the ultrasounds.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rita Gulati at RMA of New Jersey?
I like that she called me personally with results and never rushed me when I was speaking with her in person. However, it felt like it took forever to get in touch with her because they are not always at the clinic and you are seeing a million different doctors during your monitoring. Although she was my actual doctor, I never saw her much during the IVF process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: I had Nicole first and merry for IVF)
Well it was hard because as I was starting IVF my nurse left for another clinic. I think that they assign the nurses WAY TOO MANY patients. It's hard to be organized and on the same page when this happens so I don't really blame them at all. I think she did the best she could.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
How was your experience with Rita Gulati at RMA of New Jersey?
Strengths: She is very compassionate and takes time to answer questions when you see her in person. Weaknesses: She was difficult to get in touch with due to schedule. Ex: in office Monday and Tuesday, can't get her by phone other days. Not very involved in IVF process.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rita Gulati at RMA of New Jersey?
You should know that once you begin the process of IVF you don't see your actual doctor very much.
Describe the protocols Rita Gulati used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
For IVF we started with menopur and gonal F in the morning (75 of menopur and 150 of gonal F pen) and at night. On the 3rd morning I had to start the ganarelix one injection and did that as well for the next 5 mornings along with the other meds. After the 3rd morning I went to monitoring the 5th day, 6th, and 8th day of meds. Then I did a trigger shot that night of hcg 5,000units and lupron that twice that day. These meds produced 7 eggs, only 3 were mature and only 1 made it to blast.
See previous response about clinic. Do not do monitoring at west orange there are too many patients and not enough staff, go to basking ridge if you can. Also I understand patients want to have their significant other there but then they are not enough seats for actual patients. They need to have a bigger waiting area.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rita Gulati at RMA of New Jersey.
I did the careshare program and we spent 32,000, 600 for anesthesia, 1,500 for meds. Then copays leading up to treatment $60 each time I went.
Describe Rita Gulati's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Well we only had 1 to transfer but I like the rationale as the risks for me would have been much higher with a multiple birth (small body frame)
Rita Gulati
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
My primary nurse, Christine, and the entire staff [at RMA of New Jersey] have been great. Even when I'm staggering in for monitoring half-asleep at 6am, they are cheerful, patient, but still efficient. There are two regular phlebotomists in the office and I've had so many blood draws that I know which one prefers which arm. They all know me by name at this point.... My assigned nurse, who calls me with test results and dosage instructions has been great, and even when there's a substitute, I never feel rushed through the information.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
In addition to the staff, which I think I've already covered sufficiently, the location is great for me, and the monitoring hours mean that I haven't had to miss work at all for monitoring sessions or IUIs.
The whole clinic staff is great. They know me personally and are always very supportive and patient whenever I go in. My assigned nurse, who calls me with test results and dosage instructions has been great, and even when there's a substitute, I never feel rushed through the information. Dr. Forman has collaborated with me and my husband regarding our treatment, and has been sensitive to our financial situation as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Christine Helbo)
My primary nurse, Christine, and the entire staff have been great. Even when I'm staggering in for monitoring half-asleep at 6am, they are cheerful, patient, but still efficient. There are two regular phlebotomists in the office and I've had so many blood draws that I know which one prefers which arm. They all know me by name at this point.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
He's a bit of an awkward turtle, but I found that rather comforting. I like statistics and scientific information and he was always good about providing that. He has been a very good fit for me. Since the beginning, he has collaborated with me on treatment and we have talked through the various options both from a likelihood of success perspective as well as a financial (what is and is not covered by insurance) perspective.
Feel free to ask questions - he is very receptive to that and it will help him know what information you need. He will try to work within the parameters of your insurance, but if you are ready to be more aggressive despite the cost, let him know. I'm certain that if money were no object in my treatment, we would have made the jump to IVF already, but since that has been a huge financial stumbling block, he has been willing to let us do more IUIs than most.
We tried different stims (follistim ended up being the one we stuck with) and different triggers (stuck with ovidrel after an injection site reaction to the other) to see what went better. We adjusted the dosage rate for the first few IUI cycles until we got it right. We tried and then abandoned progesterone suppositories after a bad reaction one month. We talked about non-prescription supplementation as well. I have reacted very well to the follistim and ovidrel - our problem now seems to be my husband's sperm. He referred my husband to a urologist for assessment and supplements.
My insurance covered meds and IUI treatments and bloodwork, so I paid a $40 copay for each visit where I had an ultrasound. I did have some out-of-pocket costs associated with my hysteroscopy, of course, but that was my insurance deductible. I know they have a 6-cycle money-back-guarantee IVF program, but my husband and I haven't decided if we want to go that route.
We haven't actually done IVF yet, but we have discussed our approach should we have to move into that. He is convinced by the studies that show that a single embryo transfers has resulted in more healthy births, so as a general rule he does single transfers, although if there were a reason to do multiple, I don't think there's a hard and fast policy against that.
Morristown
Nicole Baumert [a nurse at RMA of NJ] is awesome! She always answers no matter how silly or personal a question may seem. She cares very much. After our loss she reached out personally several times to check on me and definitely helped get me support and through it all. I wouldn't trade her for anything!... I had an antagonist protocol twice. Had to do with my PCOS. Triggered first retrieval with pregnyl and second time with novarel. Had ICSI, PGS, and assisted hatching. Had two miscarriages for a chromosomal issue. Was genetically screened and just having "bad luck" and the testing can't pick it up or prevent it. Hoping third transfer (preparing now) will work.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is a large clinic. There are a lot of doctors and facilities. It can be overwhelming, but I highly recommend them. They know what they are doing!
Dr. Hong took the time to really get to know me, my family and understand our wants and needs. She went out of her way after our miscarriage to help us understand why. She made sure then to take the lead on our care and future visits. Dr. Hong even went out of her way to make sure she personally could do my D&C. She knew my son's birthday was near and even got him a gift - so thoughtful and sweet! I highly recommend anyone who wants a personalize and human touch to see Dr. Hong.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Baumert)
Nicole Baumert is awesome! She always answers no matter how silly or personal a question may seem. She cares very much. After our loss she reached out personally several times to check on me and definitely helped get me support and through it all. I wouldn't trade her for anything!
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
RMA is amazing. All the of the doctors are so skilled. My nurse, Nicole B. is super caring and responsive to patient needs. I cannot say enough good about Dr. Hong. I recommend her for anyone who is nervous to start and is looking for a guiding hand. Her calm demeanor can make anyone going through this feel ready and supported.
Just do it. You won't regret calling and making the appointment to see Dr. Hong!
My insurance covered the retrieval and transfer. Had to pay a bunch for meds that were not completely covered and for the freezing and genetic testing of the embryos.
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
There are many doctors in the RMA practice. It's convenient when needing to schedule appointments, but morning monitoring felt like a chicken coup. You are just a number. I felt as though there could have been more testing on me, as I was not going through insurance, before making a huge investment in IVF...Strengths: reputation, multiple offices, resources Weaknesses: patients go to them, so they don't need to focus much on patients, the money is coming to them regardless
2014 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Anne)
Anne is no longer with RMA. She left during my IVF cycle, and I only found out when I visited the RMA office to do my loss panel due to my miscarriage. She didn't educate me on the medications, often times made me feel like a nuisance when I asked questions too. Staff during morning monitoring in the future, were great. The West Orange office staff is very nice.
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
RMA is expensive, and they are not compassionate when it comes to multiple cycle costs, not necessarily the Doctor but they don't get involved and honestly they should know. They recommend IVF straight away, and in my case that was not the best course of action. I had more testing that should have been done, to realize it was a waste of $28K. I asked Dr. Jurema if there were more tests we could do after my 3rd miscarriage, and he recommended we do another cycle and just pay for the new advanced testing. I had already done testing and had 1 embryo, this recommendation did not make me feel confident and I changed direction after much research.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and trust your gut.
3 IUI's, 1st round with clomid then switched brands to Letrozole 1 IVF round after unsuccessful IUIs, were doing fresh transfer and was told 1 day before that they were freezing them instead to give them 1 more day to advance After miscarrying with IVF, insurance only covered IUIs. Although they were not successful, they were covered by insurance and we did 4 cycles. First round with Letrozole and developed vertigo like symptoms, we switched to injectables. Unsuccessful 4 IUIs to follow.
Always busy and would often take an hour before it was your turn.
IUI's: around 8K total IVF with medication: 28K
They recommended eSET, and did not feel multiple transfer would be as safe.
Short Hills
The reception staff [at RMA] is friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about how great the phlebotomy staff is - they work quickly and efficiently and are wonderful to talk to. I do think, however, that the Somerset office could benefit from having more than one doctor on morning monitoring...I started with [Nurse] Jordanna, who was very receptive to all of my questions and was available regularly via email. When she went on leave, I was transferred to Alana, who has been excellent about communicating my results and very patient as my husband and I mulled over whether to start with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The reception staff is friendly and helpful. I can't say enough about how great the phlebotomy staff is - they work quickly and efficiently and are wonderful to talk to. I do think, however, that the Somerset office could benefit from having more than one doctor on morning monitoring. I often feel like that is the part where I wait the longest to get done, though the monitoring itself is a fairly short process.
During the appointments I've had with her, Dr. Shastri has been concerned not only with how my treatment is progressing, but also with how I'm doing emotionally. She understands that this is a difficult process from a number of standpoints, and that comes through in how she talks about the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jordanna and Alana)
I started with Jordanna, who was very receptive to all of my questions and was available regularly via email. When she went on leave, I was transferred to Alana, who has been excellent about communicating my results and very patient as my husband and I mulled over whether to start with IVF.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She has been very up-front about the probabilities of IUI working for us, and when I met with her to discuss IVF, she was very thorough in explaining how it works. I felt that I understood well enough to be able to explain IVF knowledgeably to my husband, who was unable to attend my appointment. As we move to IVF, I look forward to continuing to work with Dr. Shastri.
Unless you go to the Springfield office regularly, it's possible you may only see her at your scheduled consultations, rather than at monitoring, IUI, etc.
For IUI: Gonal-F at varying levels (between 100-150 most times) depending on follicle growth, then 1Ovidrel for trigger each time. We did not have any successful IUI cycles, however. I was also advised to go on a low-carb diet as Dr. Shastri diagnosed me with symptoms similar to PCOS.
Our insurance has covered most costs. For monitoring, I have a co-pay only for ultrasounds, not bloodwork. We will have some out-of-pocket costs for IVF beyond what insurance will cover.
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Merry is very experienced and she is up to the point, unfortunately I never had chance to meet her personally. She is quite responsive in email and phone call....If you want to be seen quickly, come around 6 AM....When your doctor layout the plans for you. Do some homework and understand 100% of each treatment and purpose of them, if not clear at any point, email your doctor or nurse for better explanation. Phone call might be difficult to reach them, but doctor and nurse are better with email conversation.
1 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Forman always address my concern and question, I might not see him in each morning monitor. But he had made sure he does my transfer and morning monitor since I had one failed FET that was not performed by him. I felt he wanted to make sure I got the care I need and he wanted to make sure he was there for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Merry Dutkevitch )
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Forman is very knowledgeable, patient and detail oriented. He cares about his patients and wanted the best for his patients. He always addresses my concern and question. He also made sure he is more hands-on with me once I had one failed transfer. He made sure he did the 2nd transfer for me and made sure he can see me in each morning monitor.
Whenever you have concern about your procedures or during early pregnancy, always email Dr. Forman, he will address your concern right away. I see many patients resort to facebook or forum, but they are only getting another person's experience, every body is different, trust your doctor, not facebook or forum. And be very alert and cautious in case any issue comes up.
For egg retrieval medication, I dont exactly remember. For FET, it was estrogen, Progesterone oil, Doxycyclin and Madrol.
If you want to be seen quickly, come around 6 AM.
Roughly about 6-7K
Not much to say..I trust their approach.
14 Eggs Frozen
2 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Merry was a pleasure to deal with. She was easy to get in touch with and provided reasonable explanations for any questions. She also showed much compassion and care after suffering losses...RMA was a great clinic. Wait times were minimal for morning monitoring - I think the longest I ever waited was 20 minutes. Phlebotomists were friendly and pleasant and always referred to me by name. I had a positive experience with RMA and can't point out any weaknesses.
14 Eggs Frozen
2 IUI, IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, PCOS, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Forman was patient and kind. He spent as much time with us as we needed. He explained our treatment plan and options in a manner that was easy for us to understand. He was compassionate and caring.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Merry Dukevitch)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
I am thankful to have met Dr. Forman. He was committed to our goal of achieving pregnancy throughout our time at RMA. He came up with creative solutions and explained all of our options thoroughly. We experienced a number of failures, but Dr. Forman never gave up. He continued to explore possibilities. Dr. Forman was thorough, trustworthy, kind, intelligent, caring, compassionate and easily accessible for questions. He gave us all the time we needed to answer questions. I highly recommend Dr. Forman!
Trust him!
Our first three IVF cycles were traditional cycles with 1 embryo transfer. Dr. Forman had suggested transferring 2, but I was nervous about twins so we proceeded based on my comfort. We used the typical medications of progesterone in oil injections and estrogen. The final cycle was a non-traditional cycle where he created more of a natural cycle and implanted the embryo when my own body was ready to receive it. Medications were similar to the traditional cycles and continued through the first 8 to 10 weeks of pregnancy.
Monitoring appointments were a breeze. There was never a long wait and phlebotomists new me by name.
The health insurance company covered most costs, with the exception of our deductible, co-insurance and embryo testing/freezing.
Dr. Forman always outlined our options. After several failures, he suggested transferring 2 embryos. I was uncomfortable and so we proceeded with 1. The final cycle, my husband and I decided to go for 2 embryos and 1 stuck!
Morristown
RMA Morristown was pretty good. One thing I feel the need to comment time is that on any given day during morning monitoring hours, The waiting room which is right across from the front desk, can be very full...Meanwhile at the desk, other patients are being congratulated and given their discharge packet...after my miscarriage and subsequent D&C, I waited weeks to hear the results of the pathology. Ultimately I had to call the office myself and ask for them. I did receive an apology that they forgot to call me.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA Morristown was pretty good. One thing I feel the need to comment time is that on any given day during morning monitoring hours, The waiting room which is right across from the front desk, can be very full. There are tons of women and their husbands sitting there very anxious or maybe having just received bad news and just trying to get through the process. Meanwhile at the desk, other patients are being congratulated and given their discharge packet. It’s really difficult to have to sit there and listen to someone else getting the news we truly wish you were getting yourself. I did eventually get that news myself and I was sure to keep quiet and hurry out of the office. I just feel maybe the office staff there needs to be a little more sensitive to all of the women in the waiting room.
Dr. Forman has a nice relaxed way of communicating and he is always available to talk either by phone or email. He is quick to respond as well. He verbalizes understanding of what the couple is going through and offers what he feels is the best treatment option. Ears open and honest and does not create false hope.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Bizub)
Lauren Bizub was great, very understanding through all our ups and downs. There were one or two other nurses however that did not seem to really understand the emotional trouble that goes along with the IVF process. After my first transfer I miscarried at seven weeks. One of the nurses called to tell me that I needed to return to the office for further blood work I explained that I was not in an emotional state to return to the office that week. Instead of verbalizing understanding of my feelings, she just kept on insisting. As a nurse practitioner myself I had to explain to her that going to the office Was an emotional experience in and of itself after a miscarriage and D&C. I explained that I just needed a few days to get myself together. Unfortunately the nurse did not seem to be very understanding or compassionate. I have to say, that part was very disappointing. My doctor and nurse however we’re great.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Forman is extremely knowledgeable and very compassionate. He has a very calm demeanor and takes his time explaining everything to the patient. You can tell he has the best interest of the patient at heart although he may seem somewhat quiet or stand off-ish. He is very respectful of the patient and what she and her husband are going through. Here’s a great communicator and is always available night or day by email. You can feel his passion for his work and his general commitment to the patient. I would highly recommend him.
Be open minded and trust that he knows what he is doing. Dr. Forman can be quiet and almost shy in appearance but he is extremely knowledgeable.
Due to my age and the fact that I had good insurance coverage, he recommended we go right to IVF rather than trying IUI. After my first egg collection I had severe abdominal cramping and so with my second egg collection he changed the “trigger “ Med to Lupron and I felt fine after the collection.
Although it did feel like we were cattle being herded, the office was very efficient and I was able to go there before working hours which made things a lot easier.
Somewhere around $15,000
Dr. Forman strongly recommended a single embryo transfer stating that there were less chances of complications. I felt very comfortable with that and I really appreciated his honesty.
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
[RMA New Jersey] Strengths: - Excellent team of doctors and nurses. Every single doctor I met was extremely efficient and also friendly. - Excellent embryology lab, this is a critical factor in their success rates. - Short wait times for monitoring, I was in and out in about 15-30 minutes...Nicole was my primary point of contact throughout my treatment (IVF/FET) cycles. She would call me back with results, instructions and next steps in a timely manner. On days when she was out of office, the person covering would always reach out in a timely manner as well. She promptly responded to all my phone calls and emails.
2 Embryo Freezing, IVF
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Kim and entire staff of RMA treated me with empathy, kindness and excellent attention to detail. I was never made to feel like another statistic/number, I believe my doctor and nurse sincerely cared for the outcome of my treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Michaels)
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Kim is very patient, during our first consult, he took time to understand our prior failure with another clinic and the protocol that we followed. He was very honest and forthcoming in answering all our questions/concerns. After our first consult, I had complete faith in his approach and treatment protocol for us.
Describe the protocols Thomas Kim used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We used the long lupron protocol, stimmed for 8 days, resulting in 11 eggs, 8 fertilized with ICSI, and we had 2 day 6 blastocysts. We elected to do PGS, which resulted in a single normal embryo.
Monitoring was very efficient. I went to Basking ridge location for most of my monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey.
I had excellent insurance coverage, which covered most of treatment cost. I was responsible for co-pays, deductible, co-insurances.
Thomas Kim
Basking Ridge
I had an emergency after an IUI [at RMA] and Jennifer was my point of contact. She was calming, caring and checked on me frequently. The entire nursing team is efficient and communicates effectively...The clinic hours are great, I have been in and out of the office in 5 minutes with very little wait time. It's easy to get to, is clean and friendly staff. The finance team made sure to explain all costs and what I should expect. They were very helpful and well-informed on my insurance provider
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic hours are great, I have been in and out of the office in 5 minutes with very little wait time. It's easy to get to, is clean and friendly staff. The coffee...not so great though...bring your own!
She did her research on my test results that were transferred over prior to my first appointment with her. She was compassionate and understanding of the emotional turmoil that I am dealing with. She was patient and explained everything to me a million times until it sunk in.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Reynaga)
I had an emergency after an IUI and Jennifer was my point of contact. She was calming, caring and checked on me frequently. The entire nursing team is efficient and communicates effectively.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
She looks at each person as an individual, she has some out of the box treatment options but is open and honest about the successes. She is caring, and has followed up with me on a regular basis to monitor my progress. I am very happy with her!
I would see her more often if I was in the Basking Ridge office, but I have been frequenting the Somerset as it's in close proximity to my home.
Letrozol and a double IUI after testing. Bloodwork at day 3 and day 11 to make sure I am progressing. Chlomid was unsuccessful 4x and this is what we are trying before proceeding to IVF.
One month and 2 IUI procedures out of pocket costs were $650, with ultrasounds, bloodwork, tests, etc being covered by insurance. The finance team made sure to explain all costs and what I should expect. They were very helpful and well-informed on my insurance provider
2010 - 2017
At times it is busy but it is very well run and moves very quickly. The hours are great because you can go in early before your day normally starts so it doesn't interfere with anything...Great clinic with latest technology. It is big with a high volume but I would rather deal with crowds somewhere where I am confident I am getting treated by the best doctors and nurses than in a smaller place with substandard care. RMA is the best!...Nurse Michelle was trained by Nurse Danielle and it shows. Michelle is a wonderful nurse that I trust completely. She is very knowledgeable and always answers my questions. I am so very lucky to have her.
2010 - 2017
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Bergh and my nurse, Michelle have always given me the time and attention I need. Answer my questions and meet with me to discuss options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Oliveira)
How was your experience with Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Bergh is very knowledgeable and willing to meet with me whenever needed. He always evaluates my progress and makes my treatment decisions. He is easy to discuss things with and I feel very comfortable that getting treated by him gives me the best chance for Baby #2.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey?
Always ask questions and understand the process.
Describe the protocols Paul Bergh used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I had my son on my 2nd IUI using chlomid. I tried 14 more IUIs, first with chlomid, then with injectibles for Baby #2. Now I am in my 2nd IVF cycle with injectibles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey.
My treatments were covered by insurance. For the IUIs I paid a co-pay for each office visit and for the treatments. For IVF, I paid a per cycle one-time co-pay and took out a personal loan for costs not covered by insurance.
Describe Paul Bergh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
My doctor prefers single embryo transfer but would discuss multiple if I am lucky enough to have multiple embryos to transfer. At this point, I will be happy with 1.
Paul Bergh
Other, Unexplained
My initial appointment was scheduled wrong and I came in a week early. They were very apologetic and still saw me. That was the only mistake, an accident....KIND and CARING staff. There is no substitute for the kindness the staff showed. There was always a little breakfast or coffee out in the mornings for patients. Staff knew me by my first name. They showed a genuine interest in my life. ...Lack of a patient portal. Any and all information I got regarding bloodwork, test results, medications, etc were conveyed to me by my nurse.
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
A few weaknesses that I would like to point out are the following: 1. Lack of a patient portal. Any and all information I got regarding bloodwork, test results, medications, etc were conveyed to me by my nurse. 2. "Morning Monitoring" hours stink. Maybe they could extend them an hour or two? 3. No one tells you any information regarding your cycle more than one appointment in advance. I understand that everything is subject to change based on your body and where you are in your cycle, but I would have appreciated a more defined plan and explanation of what to expect. Unless I specifically asked, no one offered this information. (Sometimes, that was a good thing. Ignorance is bliss!) A few things I'd like to point out that I think made my time with RMA great: 1. KIND and CARING staff. There is no substitute for the kindness the staff showed. There was always a little breakfast or coffee out in the mornings for patients. Staff knew me by my first name. They showed a genuine interest in my life. 2. Amazing doctors. All the doctors (whether I liked them or not) were very smart. Any of them at any given time could answer any question that you have, whether they were your primary doctor or not. They also made a great effort to learn your chart and your cycle so they could communicate well with you regarding your treatment plans. 3. Clean, updated offices. This was huge for me. 4. Great support system. The Fertilitalk network is great and I felt really special when I learned that Fertilitalk holds gatherings for women to get together and meet peers, and it's compliments of RMA.
Dr. Foreman is very matter-of-fact. It was not that he didn't have a warm bedside manner, but he did not sugar coat things. For this reason, some may feel that he is cold but my husband and I appreciated his candid nature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Kathy Giordano)
Kathy was truly a blessing. I could not have asked for a more caring and compassionate nurse. She was prompt to give me information and respond to all my questions and concerns. She also acted as my advocate when needed. All the women staff in the Springfield office were also very kind and welcoming. I appreciate all they have done.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Foreman is very intelligent. He has a matter-of-fact nature that I appreciated. I don't want a doctor to give me the run-around or take unnecessary steps. Dr. Foreman gets straight to the point and gives his opinion on the best course of action. Of course, every choice is solely up to your own discretion and Dr. Foreman will respect whatever that decision is.
Due to health issues, I wanted to fastest route to pregnancy. Dr. Foreman fully understood this and we began a freeze-all IVF with ICSI cycle shortly after a hysteroscopy. After getting CCS testing I underwent a natural FET.
I didn't find monitoring hours to be convenient, especially on weekends. There were only a few rare occasions that I was in the office for more than 30 minutes. The weekend office was about 20 minutes from me so we always budgeted an hour and a half just for bloodwork & ultrasound appointments. That being said, I think that the staff did the best they could and everyone was very organized.
I believe Dr. Foreman is highly learned in the benefits of single embryo vs multiple embryo transfers. I was and am confident in his method. By getting CCS testing, you pick the healthiest embryo which lowers your chance of a miscarriage and the need to transfer more than one. This is also beneficial since carrying multiples comes with high risks.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Excellent reputation because they know what they are doing! Brilliant doctors and scientists, well organized and executed in every aspect. The size of the clinic [RMA] and clientele can be overwhelming. Especially Basking Ridge...Alana was my primary nurse, and Ann Marie was my primary nurse for my last cycle only. Both were wonderful, smart, compassionate and quick to respond to questions and needs.
3 IUI, 2 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Excellent reputation because they know what they are doing! Brilliant doctors and scientists, well organized and executed in every aspect. The size of the clinic and clientele can be overwhelming. Especially Basking Ridge.
Dr. Molinaro is very down to earth, personable, and caring. He shows a general interest of me as a human and now a mother and I never felt anything other than a friend with him. He was very honest when I needed him to be the most, yet caring in his way of delivering a message that could be hard to take. He was very accessible and i was never made to feel like I was a bother with my endless questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Alana)
How was your experience with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
My experience with Dr. Molinaro was nothing short of life changing. He not only gave me the children I have dreamed of but gave me a new trust in doctors that I never had before. In the past I have never really felt I had a say in my treatments. Dr. Molinaro listened to my thoughts and considered my point of view in all aspects of my care and he was very kind when he didn’t feel my thoughts were in my best interest, but also very supportive when he thought they were and willing to implement them into my treatment when appropriate. He was very good at making me feel like I was his only patient when I was in his care. Dr. Molinaro celebrated my successes and was very human in his responses to my failures. I absolutely valued and appreciated the personal phone calls with embryo reports and pregnancy test results. Many other doctors leave those calls for their nurses to make. I always felt my treatment suggestions were ones that would get me my end goal of a baby in the quickest and least expensive way possible. As a self paying patient with limited financial means, money was a huge factor and risk. Dr. Molinaro was very conscious of this in my treatment recommendations as well. Overall, I can’t say enough good things about him. If you’re on the fence between choosing Dr. Molinaro and another doctor, choose him. I went to him on a recommendation and personally know 5 other women successfully treated by him as well.
Come with questions and expect they will be answered honestly. They may not be the answers you want to hear but you will get nothing sugar coated b
My last cycle we “pulled out all the guns” with a Benadryl protocol, use of probiotics, and baby aspirin. I was gluten and dairy free for 6 months prior to my successful cycle although Dr. Molinaro said he didn’t feel this was the big difference between this cycle and my past failures. I had an extra 2 days of estrogen priming before my transfer and when it was time for progesterone, I used suppositories as well as injections to keep my progesterone levels as high as possible. I had a D and C done a few months prior as well to rule out polyps or inflammation/infection.
Dr Molinaro is definitely an advocate of eSET. My last transfer I transferred 2 untested donor embryos as we both knew this was most likely my last transfer attempt, and because I had had so many failures. Also we had a long discussion of the possibility of multiples and I was ok if that happened. I never ever thought it would happen but alas, my one and only successful transfer resulted in twins.
2012 - 2016
I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments [at RMA] so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work...The only problem I had was with the accounting department...Maria made the whole process much more painful and if I could have moved clinics I would have.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Drinks would be the flexibility. I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work
I think he had a good combination of being frank about what we were dealing with but being sympathetic to the situation
You saw different people different nurses different doctors every time you went in but working full time made it difficult to schedule things. This clinic turned out to be the right situation for us because we could always get a early morning appointments before heading to work even though I only saw Dr. Kim I handful of times
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New Jersey?
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Overall I was happy. At times he seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. I think you did a good job at explaining what we were dealing with. When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
I think I think as a patient you have to take into consideration your personality and when interviewing prospective doctors consider how their bedside manner will work as either a pro or con for you
After reviewing the percentage of successful birth with IUI compared IVF it only seemed to make sense to do the IVF since it had such a higher rate of success even though it was more invasive. Looking back now on the second cycle we did which we started as an IVF but switched are you why because my follicles were not growing properly seems like kind of a waste of money
Too many to remember but I think each IVF retrieval cycle cost about $6000 and medication cost another $4000. The frozen transfer cost about $3000 and the medications about $1500
Describe Thomas Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
We had already decided we were only going to do one embryo at a time and did not want to chance twins. Also out of four attempts of IVF cycles we only ended up with two embryos and decided to transfer them separately anyway. If we had ended up with more embryos I still don't think we would have done multiple transfers
Thomas Kim
Basking Ridge
When I was pregnant the first time around, I was assigned to a nurse named Cely. She was fantastic, but unfortunately she no longer works full time at RMA. The second time I was pregnant, my nurse was Mary Ellen. She was okay... seemed to lack some compassion and I felt as though she really viewed her job as just that... a job. Overall, the staff is great however!...RMA is a smooth running practice. They see alot of patients so it's easy to feel as though you're just a number, but the staff goes out of their way to make sure this doesn't happen. It can be overwhelming at times when you're in a packed room at 6am waiting for monitoring, but I feel as though that's a testament to RMA's great reputation. The financial advisor I had the first time around was awful, but the second time around, I had someone else who was great. Like anything, there are a few bad apples but overall this is not the norm here.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Forman always answered all of our questions thoroughly and in a way in which we could understand. He set realistic expectations and made sure we were comfortable thoughout the entire process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Mary Ellen)
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Forman is one of the best doctors my husband and I have ever come across. He was our hope at a very dark time in our lives. After our first appointment, we had a clear plan of what to expect. Dr. Forman was very upfront and honest throughout the entire process. We felt as though he was truly invested in seeing us come out on the other side as parents. Even after discharge, he helped us navigate some issues we were having with the pregnancy (not IVF related). He recommended doctors and personally kept in touch with us. We could not have asked for a better experience. His knowledge far surpasses other fertility specialists we have seen and we will be forever grateful for finding him and RMA.
I have recommended Dr. Forman to a number of my friends and they have all gone on to become parents. My biggest piece of advice would be to not wait. Make an appointment as soon as you think something may be wrong.
Dr. Forman was careful to not hyperstimulate my ovaries. His main concern was quality not quantity. I started with Folistim injections followed by Ganirelix and eventually a trigger shot. He was aiming for 15 quality eggs and we got exactly that.
Monitoring can be overwhelming but RMA does a very good job of getting people in and out. Their 530am start time works well for working professionals. I was able to monitor without having to tell my boss what was going on.
I believe all said and done it was about $20-25K; however, insurance paid for a good portion. We were able to freeze embryos if we decided to have more children. The cost for FET for subsequent pregnancies was very reasonable.
My husband and I agree with Dr. Forman's philosophy of aiming for one healthy baby at a time. A singleton birth typically has less complications and less time (if any) in the NICU. We were fully on board with this.
Morristown
Great doctors [at RMA - Morristown]! Some nurses great! They should teach all patients in person how to administer the injections. Luckily my first nurse was kind enough to show me the subcutaneous injections. The muscular injections my general doctor and mother showed my husband how to do them...I loved my first nurse, Tanya. She was very kind. I was petrified of giving myself injections and didn't feel comfortable learning from a video; She offered me to come to the office and she showed me how to give myself the injections. She also gave me her cell number in case I had questions when giving myself injections. She truly cared about her patients...
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Great doctors! Some nurses great! They should teach all patients in person how to administer the injections. Luckily my first nurse was kind enough to show me the subcutaneous injections. The muscular injections my general doctor and mother showed my husband how to do them.
Dr. Foreman was always available to answer any questions. He was quick to respond to emails and would also quickly set up a phone call when needed. I've never had a doctor that was that responsive. I felt he truly cared about his patient and wanted me to have the result that I wanted. I can't say enough good things about Dr.Foreman! He's a brilliant doctor, kind and real human being.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Tanya Padko )
I loved my first nurse, Tanya. She was very kind. I was petrified of giving myself injections and didn't feel comfortable learning from a video; She offered me to come to the office and she showed me how to give myself the injections. She also gave me her cell number in case I had questions when giving myself injections. She truly cared about her patients. Unfortunately, toward the end of my time at RMA Tanya got a new job and I got a new nurse. The new nurse was not located in the location I went to and I didn't find her as warm.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Eric Foreman is very attentive, kind, caring. He is a brilliant doctor. I feel so lucky that I got him as my doctor. He would respond to questions usually same day. He treats his patients like family or a close friend.
Always have an open mind. Dr. Foreman will do everything possible for you to get the results you want, but also remember it's in a higher -powers hands. Yet stay positive.
I can't remember, but Dr.Foreman will taylor a plan for you
They weren't too bad if you arrive early
Dr. Foreman preferred single transfer due to the fact that with multiples it's a higher risk on the babies and the mom. From my own research I agreed to his approach.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Overall the experience with RMA was not satisfactory and at times unpleasant. When my first cycle with them failed (an FET with embryos from a prior cycle at IVF NJ) the nurse implied that the embryos weren't up to RMA's standards. Ok.. I have twin girls and my baby boy from those crappy embryos. I'm considering cycling again with them next fall only because of Dr Treiser. I'm already dreading dealing with them again. (RMA) The billing department was fine. We've paid OOP for everything so the billing department was always nice to us, lol!
Dr Treiser tries to be somewhat personable. Shes pleasant but sticks to the facts with little hand holding.I didn't have any complaints regarding my care until the acquisition of IVF NJ by RMA NJ. RMA was strictly all business and they herded everyone around like cattle. They were almost rude to my husband and myself because we had to bring our twins for an appointment. They should make a waiting room for parents that's as comfortable as the main waiting area. My husband and the girls had to wait in a tiny room that was claustrophobic. One time I went for an appointment and waited an hour + to be called. RMA said they didn't realize that I was waiting. Despite signing in and saying good morning to everyone. There is absolutely no privacy at RMA. You get herded around with a group. There's maybe 6-8 women getting blood work at the same time. I had to STAND in a long corridor with at least 10 other women and some of their partners while waiting for an ultrasound. And you can hear everything through the doors.
When I was a patient at IVF NJ, the nurses were absolutely wonderful. I'm a nurse myself and I was really impressed with the job they did. They were professional but personable, on top of everything, and responded to an email, phone call or text within minutes. They made my two failed cycles easier to deal with and my successful one even more exciting and special. Once the clinics merged, the nurses began to leave. The nurses from RMA were ok but they weren't on top of things at all. Like I didn't realize I needed my annual mammography when I started my last cycle. They didn't even notice. IVF NJ wouldn't have allowed me to cycle. It took a long time for them to respond to email or messages. Sometimes not until the next day. Any procedure done at IVF NJ was made as pleasant as possible. The nurses, the RE's and the support staff were all really nice and your nurse would come to see you before your transfer. We even received a card after our first transfer from our nurse.
How was your experience with Susan Treiser at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Treiser was more than satisfactory as my RE during my time with IVF NJ. I really can't complain about the care I received then. Each time a cycle failed, she had a plan going forward. She was flexible and allowed me to participate in planning the next steps.She can come across as a bit cool at times but like I mentioned previously, I didn't need hand holding, I needed results.
3 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
The main strength of RMA is the size. There are many offices that you can go to for your bloodwork and ultrasounds. The office hours cannot be beat. The Morristown office opened even earlier to accommodate their clients...The monitoring appointments at RMA are for a specific time period. I have to be at work at 7am .. so I typically was the first person to arrive for my ultrasound. Even when I wasn't the first person .. I never had to wait too long. And better yet, I was never late to work...
3 Embryo Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Dr Forman made me feel like a human, and not a number, by calling me throughout the cycle .. remembering my name. Dr Forman was always available to answer any questions.
Christine was a very good communicator. She answered all of my questions in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Forman is very caring. He explained every aspect of the IVF process. He was always available to answer questions. I have recommended Dr Forman to many colleagues and would use him again! As someone who had worked in the medical field for more than 20 years, I appreciated Dr Forman for his medical prowess, his warm demeanor and his honesty. In my opinion, fertility doctor's need to have a good bedside manner, as well as, be innovators in their field. Dr Forman has all of these.
Trust the process and utilize all that RMA has to offer their patients.
Although I do not recall the specific cycles used, or drug dosages (which are all patient specific), I do remember that my first cycle did not result in an egg retrieval. Dr Forman advised me to stop the cycle and utilize a different protocol. While I was initially upset, it made sense not to spend the money when I would not have gotten the eggs needed for a transfer. I appreciated Dr Forman's honesty.
As an individual with a large fibroid uterus, Dr Forman advised me against have multiple embryos transferred. I had to have an open myomectomy prior to my transfer and all physicians involved did not think it would be wise to carry more than one child.
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Despite the size of RMA, we really do feel Marissa is our personal nurse and that she is 100% focused on only us. She shows great compassion towards our concerns and anxiety. She responds by email (our preferred method) often within an hour or two. She is always available for questions during bloodwork/ultrasound visits. She even spent 30 minutes teaching us how to perform the progesterone injections...
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: Their stats are strong for our demographic. They seem to have the latest technologies and some of the best surgeons on the team. They are great with phone, email, and in-person communication. We never need to wait more than 10 minutes during morning checkups. They have multiple offices making it convenient for our work commute. We haven't had a poor experience with a doctor yet and we've seen at least 5 of them. Weaknesses: Some may feel it's too large. It's several doctors and several offices. However, the relationship we built with Dr. Doherty and the nurse (Marissa) make it feel like a small practice where we get a lot of attention.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Marissa DiGiacomo)
Marissa has been amazing! Despite the size of RMA, we really do feel Marissa is our personal nurse and that she is 100% focused on only us. She shows great compassion towards our concerns and anxiety. She responds by email (our preferred method) often within an hour or two. She is always available for questions during bloodwork/ultrasound visits. She even spent 30 minutes teaching us how to perform the progesterone injections. We couldn't ask for a better nurse.
How was your experience with Leo Doherty at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Doherty has incredible "bedside manner" and is able to communicate down to the individual detail but with a very compassionate tone. He and his assistants were always very responsive to all our phone and email questions, getting back to us often within an hour or two if during business hours or immediately the next morning if it was a non-urgent request in the evening. We had to undergo several procedures and each time Dr. Doherty described the procedures in detail as well as the impact to our timeline. Since Dr. Doherty is part of a larger practice (RMA), we did not see him every time at the Hamilton office. Instead we saw other doctors part of the practice for bloodwork and ultrasounds. However, we were OK with that because we didn't have any issues with any of the other doctors. In addition, if Dr. Doherty felt that it was important to meet us in person for a particular discussion, he would request that and we would see him directly. Dr. Doherty was orders of magnitude better than our first doctor we saw at a different practice.
Keep in mind RMA is distributed across multiple sites and you may not always see Dr. Doherty if you are at a satellite location. For us this wasn't an issue because Dr. Doherty was always very aware of our latest bloodwork and ultrasound and we were able to communicate often over email and phone.
For us, Dr. Doherty started right on IVF preparation because we had multiple failed IUI cycles and a failed IVF cycle with another practice. We appreciated that he listed to our current state and was willing to pick up with the other practice left off. He also performed surgery twice to remove fibroids prior to the egg retrieval/transfer.
The majority of our costs were covered by insurance except for the genetic counseling and genetic testing. We visited the dietian (covered), a genetic counselor ($100ish?), did laser accupuncture before/after a transfer ($200), and did the genetic testing ($2000ish?)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Despite the number of patients RMA treats, we still felt like we got personal care. Morning monitoring waits can be long if you don't get there at 5:30am.
Dr. Forman was very responsive to emails and always emailed us right before and after procedures (TESE, retrieval) to let us know how it went.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Tanya and Zahava)
We began treatment with Tanya who was very helpful and informative. Tanya left the practice in the middle of our cycle and then we had Zahava who was very attentive and informative as well.
How was your experience with Eric Forman at RMA of New Jersey?
We feel extremely blessed to have become pregnant on our first try and we will be forever grateful to you and the entire staff at RMANJ. Every interaction we had with doctors, nurses and staff was positive and we knew we were in good hands for every procedure, ultrasound and test result. Given the size of RMANJ, the personal attention we received was unheard of and much appreciated. We always felt informed and aware of what the next steps were and if we didn't, we had no problem finding out whether from you or our nurses. We came to you during an extremely difficult time in our personal lives and we are so appreciative of the compassion we were shown throughout the entire process.
Email communication is best. Very responsive. Usually within an hour.
Antagonist protocol due to low egg reserve.
Pretty much a well-oiled machine, but the wait could be long (30 mins) if you didn't get there as close to opening at 5:30am as possible.
We were lucky enough to have insurance cover much of our cycle, including PGS testing.