Michael Bohrer

636 Morris Turnpike
Short Hills, NJ 07078
973-258-4081

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
I really like Dr Molinaro. I do wish we would have done some investigating of a good uterine environment before this last transfer. I do feel that Dr M has my best interests in mind and would like to do his best to help me succeed...I felt that the Dr was honest with me but also felt like I had a chance
[RMA of New Jersey] Strengths- great doctors. Well oiled machine. Great lab. Very organized. Weaknesses- that they don’t believe so much in endometriosis affecting fertility or other immune issues. I had endo removed by a prior Dr so I felt ok moving forward...Happy with my nurse. She’s been available and I felt like she was invested.
How was your experience with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
Be open and honest. Be prepared to advocate for yourself. But that’s with anyone, not specifically for him. I would say he’s definitely more open to ideas. I think it’s also different if he’s your first Dr or your third.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
I felt that the Dr was honest with me but also felt like I had a chance
Describe the protocols Thomas Molinaro used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We did a microdose Lupron protocol. We did an estrace prime prior to stims. We decided not to use menopur as sometimes it is contraindicated for older patients like me. Day 2 started 10 units microdose Lupron 2x a day. Day 3 added 450 follistim. We also used low dose hcg. Started at 10 went up to 50 units. We got 14 eggs, 8 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 day 6 embryos. One was PGT normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Lauren Bizub)
Happy with my nurse. She’s been available and I felt like she was invested.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New Jersey.
Pretty well-oiled. I never felt like I waited a crazy amount of time. Some days were worse than others of course.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey.
I have had insurance coverage up until now (I have used all) so costs were manageable. The only thing my insurance did not cover was PGT testing
Describe Thomas Molinaro's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
No comments. I understand the rationale to only transfer one tested embryo. My previous IVF doctor transferred multiple untested only.
Eatontown

Dr. Werner is very kind, knowledgeable and professional. She gave us all the options when we came to her for consultation. She answered all my questions and never rushed us into making any decisions. So far I have gone through one IUI and one egg retrieval with Dr. Werner and we have 5 embroys ready to be transfered!...suggested IVF with ICSI due to minor male factor. We had 26 eggs retrieved due to PCOS and 5 embroys after PGS. Currently we are waiting for the transfer...strongly advised eSET becuase multiple embroy transter will increase the risk for both baby and the mother which I agreed.
we have spent around $2500 for one IUI and $20000 for IVF stimulation and egg retrieval [at RMA of New Jersey]...whole organization is working pretty efficient and professional, the clinic is very nice and clean...I think maybe becuase there are so many patients so there is not much customization treatment for individual patient. Also I was quite surprised to find RMANJ does not have a patient portal...Maryellen [nurse] was good with communication and calling me with results and instructions. However she seems not comfortable with email communications which was my prefered way of communication.
How was your experience with Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey?
Be prepared for your consultation and ask a lot of questions, Dr. Werner will be very patient to answer them all.
Describe the protocols Marie Werner used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We did one IUI, and then we went straight to IVF. Dr. Werner suggested IVF with ICSI due to minor male factor. We had 26 eggs retrieved due to PCOS and 5 embroys after PGS. Currently we are waiting for the transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Maryellen)
Maryellen was good with communication and calling me with results and instructions. However she seems not comfortable with email communications which was my prefered way of communication.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMANJ is definately one of the best fertility clinics in the US, the whole organization is working pretty efficient and professional, the clinic is very nice and clean and most importantly their suceessful rate is one of the highest. However I think maybe becuase there are so many patients so there is not much customization treatment for individual patient. Also I was quite surprised to find RMANJ does not have a patient portal.
Mornitoring experience was very good, I was able to in and out within 20 mins
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marie Werner at RMA of New Jersey.
Nothing was covered for fertility from my insurance and so far we have spent around $2500 for one IUI and $20000 for IVF stimulation and egg retrieval.
Describe Marie Werner's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Werner strongly advised eSET becuase multiple embroy transter will increase the risk for both baby and the mother which I agreed.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
There was one time I called my nurse for one of my bloodwork result, however there was no response. Also when I tried to email her, there was always delayed response.
Marie Werner

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Franasiak did not make me or my husband feel like a number. He was thorough in testing, listened to my concerns, and provided options about my concerns. We did not feel rushed during our time in consultation, and he gave us ample opportunity and encouraged all questions...We were able to get an appointment within a good amount of time to start the diagnostic consultation and follow up results.
[nurse of RMA of NJ] She is quick to respond, and listens to the patients concerns... It's not overcrowded for appointments and wait is not too long in the morning when getting check ups/blood work. Quick sign in. I had a billing issue, and the front desk immediately took care of it, and before I left they had it taken care of and credit on my account. Everyone was very helpful through the process so far.
How was your experience with Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Fransiak provided the details necessary to review our treatment options. We were able to get an appointment within a good amount of time to start the diagnostic consultation and follow up results. Even though I did not like the diagnoses, unexplained infertility, he was encouraging on the options to seek pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
As with any appointment, research beforehand, and write down questions you have to make sure all is covered during your appointment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe the protocols Jason M. Franasiak used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Treatments have been prescribed but not started. Dr. Franasiak provided information on what to expect and research before making a decision.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Beth)
Beth is very knowledgeable and if she doesn't know the answer, gets the answer. She is quick to respond, and listens to the patients concerns. When I went for a follow up appointment with the NP for unexplained pain after the HSG, Beth reached out afterwards to check on me and provide additional direction if/when to seek any additional care if needed.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA NJ - Marlton is state of the art, brand new building/location. It's not overcrowded for appointments and wait is not too long in the morning when getting check ups/blood work. Quick sign in. I had a billing issue, and the front desk immediately took care of it, and before I left they had it taken care of and credit on my account. Everyone was very helpful through the process so far.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey.
I have very good insurance, no high deductible/PPO plan. Copay of $25 each visit with the doctor. All lab work is covered at 100%. Prescription estimated costs for two medicines was under $50. IUI route was covered at approximately 95%.
Describe Jason M. Franasiak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
None at this time.
Marlton

I really like Dr. Jurema, he's kind and patient - he's never hesitated to answer one of my questions and has been considerate of my emotions throughout the process. He's also done a great job communicating with my jokester husband during our consults as well! I have struggled with his availability a couple times, but it hasn't been anything that's deterred me significantly...
The registration process [at RMA of NJ] was a disaster - ideally they should just overhaul the phone/online system because I was invested in getting in there but it was really a nightmare trying to set up my first appointment. Overall - the portal seems really old and it's odd to me that you can't do everything in 1 place (scheduled appts, report day 1 via message and not just having to call, etc...Pill IUI was $1000-1500, injectable IUI was $3000+
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
I felt like it was right in between - treatments I would say a number (felt rushed/transactional), consultations I felt like a human (he would reference past conversations we had).
Describe the protocols Marcus Jurema used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I was told that I likely had PCOS so there needed to be regulation around my ovulation. We agreed that I would go through a few rounds of IUI as I was not comfortable skipping right to IVF (even though I could have), so I had 2 Letrazole + trigger shot IUI cycles and then 1 Follistim injectable + trigger shot IUI cycle. Letrazole was truly awful in terms of mood swings and not feeling like myself. Follistim was even moreso. I shared symptoms for all of this and Dr. Jurema and I agreed that I was likely just very sensitive to the medications. The pill IUIs only resulted in 1ish follicles each, so the goal of the injectible round was to aim for more follicles - I ended up reacting really well and had 3ish follicles that round (there was discussion that I may have 3-4 and I was cautioned that Dr. Jurema may have decided to cancel but he did not). We've agreed that IVF is the best next step following 3 failed IUIs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa was a wreck - bad communicator, I was consistently asking for details that I expected she would clearly lay out to me given this wasn't an experience I'd had previously and her overall demeanor came across so blah, not interested or invested. I asked to speak with someone about switching and was told she would be going on leave soon so I was getting a new nurse anyways (which was great news). Assuming I'd just hear from the new nurse based on my request, I was SO frustrated to get a voicemail from Melissa telling me that she was going out on maternity leave... are you kidding? Why would you share that with someone who had no idea you were pregnant and who was also trying to get pregnant themselves? It just seemed like a horrible move in terms of bedside manner/courtesy.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The registration process was a disaster - ideally they should just overhaul the phone/online system because I was invested in getting in there but it was really a nightmare trying to set up my first appointment. Overall - the portal seems really old and it's odd to me that you can't do everything in 1 place (scheduled appts, report day 1 via message and not just having to call, etc.). None of these are showstoppers just an annoying part of working with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey.
Pill IUI was $1000-1500, injectable IUI was $3000+ (which was not communicated effectively nor explained effectively because frankly, it wasn't more effort for them so I didn't understand why I was paying more - same number of monitoring appts). Consults charged separately.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
I had conflicting information shared around no having intercourse while going through IUI cycles - it was annoying but I worked with Dr. Jurema to get his position on it.

2020, Unknown Success
[Dr. Kathleen Hong's] goal is to help me get more eggs from my egg retrieval this time. So she is going to cater the meds specifically to me and not follow a cookie-cutter protocol...Usually, a consultation is about 30 minutes, but she spoke with me for over an hour going over all my medical history...She was very informed about everything I had questions about and really liked that she had a background in embryology. An RE that understands both the male and female side of infertility was really important to me. She was also the first one to give us genetic testing.
The overall staff [at RMA of New Jersey] was very nice even if they weren't necessarily warm. They all smiled and were organized and efficient. Courtney was very straightforward in explaining everything that was to be expected, but also made me feel that I could come to her at any time with questions or concerns...This office only does SET...I wish there was an option down the line for the use of 2 after so many failed attempts, but understand the reasoning for the SET.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
She seemed very caring and attentive. I never felt rushed or that she didn't want to help me. She was very informed about everything I had questions about and really liked that she had a background in embryology. An RE that understands both the male and female side of infertility was really important to me. She was also the first one to give us genetic testing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She can answer them and if she can't she has a detailed explanation as to why there is no answer for that point in the current world of fertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Usually, a consultation is about 30 minutes, but she spoke with me for over an hour going over all my medical history and wants for the future in regards to infertility. She looked me in the eye while she spoke to me and the rest of the staff called you by name, even on the first visit.
Describe the protocols Kathleen Hong used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Her goal is to help me get more eggs from my egg retrieval this time. So she is going to cater the meds specifically to me and not follow a cookie-cutter protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
The overall staff was very nice even if they weren't necessarily warm. They all smiled and were organized and efficient. Courtney was very straightforward in explaining everything that was to be expected, but also made me feel that I could come to her at any time with questions or concerns.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
This was during covid times so the office was quite empty most of the time and they do try to keep the monitoring hours organized using last name time frames. It was clean and very professional looking.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey.
The treatment itself is about $16,000 for our protocol and the medications varied. Genetic testing for us was between $300-$800 and PGT was over $2000.
Describe Kathleen Hong's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
This office only does SET. There is never a circumstance that warrants the use of more. I wish there was an option down the line for the use of 2 after so many failed attempts, but understand the reasoning for the SET.
Morristown

He [Dr. Molinaro] emailed me after our consult and at other points during treatment and called me to discuss our options once my eggs were stimulated and we could see I still repeated what I had done previously and only had about 3 large follicles. He really looked at our situation and gave us his honest opinion and statistics as to why he thought that way....He advised us that our money might be better spent with donor eggs, but we wanted to try one cycle with my own eggs with him. And he said he was willing to help us do that, but we didn’t have very high odds.
Advocate for yourself with billing and your nurse [RMA of NJ]. I feel like things could have been missed if I didn’t speak up to my nurse....There were times I left messages or sent emails and didn’t hear back until I followed up again a day or 2 later with another form of communication, usually the opposite of what I had last done, email or phone call. Then I would finally hear back. These were usually questions that were not immediately urgent like a medication question for that day, but I still was surprised at times when I didn’t hear back in 24 hours.
How was your experience with Thomas Molinaro at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Molinaro came highly recommended from several women I knew that had gone to him and had success. However all of them had insurance coverage. He had much more compassion and better bedside manner than the doctor I saw prior to him, but he was almost twice the cost for me without insurance. He did explain, in a way he can’t work miracles and can only work with what I bring him and given the 3 cycles I had at dr before him being a low responder, he couldn’t guarantee anything. He advised us that our money might be better spent with donor eggs, but we wanted to try one cycle with my own eggs with him. And he said he was willing to help us do that, but we didn’t have very high odds. About 15% chance. Verses 60% chance with donor eggs.
They are quick to recommend donor eggs. I think it is because they want to help you have success, but it’s then very daunting to look into the egg donor process. So much more complicated than IVF with your own eggs. Ask him any questions you have. He will give you a compassionate and honest answer.
He emailed me after our consult and at other points during treatment and called me to discuss our options once my eggs were stimulated and we could see I still repeated what I had done previously and only had about 3 large follicles. He really looked at our situation and gave us his honest opinion and statistics as to why he thought that way.
For my case where I had been unexplained infertility, but now DOR. (Low AMH and high FSH) Primed with estrace pill at end of my natural cycle leading up to IVF cycle. Gonal F and lupron and low dose HSG stims. Trigger shot Novarel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
There were times I left messages or sent emails and didn’t hear back until I followed up again a day or 2 later with another form of communication, usually the opposite of what I had last done, email or phone call. Then I would finally hear back. These were usually questions that were not immediately urgent like a medication question for that day, but I still was surprised at times when I didn’t hear back in 24 hours. I gave them the benefit of doubt. I’m not the type a person who calls repeatedly and one day if it’s not an emergency. As my cycle progressed I did feel a little more at ease with her. They were quick to get things in order so that I could pay before starting a cycle or moving to the next part. But then once I didn’t make it to transfer and I had questions about what we could do next and deciding if we would do donor egg or what we would do I feel like it went back again to pretty irresponsive and days in between my emails and questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Advocate for yourself with billing and your nurse. I feel like things could have been missed if I didn’t speak up to my nurse. Doctors are very thorough and perform the ultrasounds every morning bright and early, I switched between the Freehold and Eatontown office so that I could have Dr. Molinaro as many mornings as possible. About twice I had other doctors. So that was comforting to have my doctor looking at my ultrasound and not just a technician to get to ask him little questions and a feel for things each day and then wait on bloodwork for final instructions later that day from nurse.
6am to 8/8:30 I believe. I stuck to earlier times (6-7) so I could get home before my husband left for work and to get my child ready for school. The waiting room in Eatontown was often very full but it did move pretty quickly; Freehold there was hardly ever a wait for ultrasound or bloodwork.
$15,300 for retrieval ICSI and genetic testing, for their agreement with Aetna which does not cover IVF. Transfer would have been $4,500 more. My medications were covered, minimal copay.
They strongly encourage genetic testing and single embryo transfer. Of our three embryos all fertilized and 2 made it to day six blastocyst and then were sent to testing; both were found to be abnormal. So we never moved onto transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
I didn’t have a medication that I needed at the start of my cycle, so I had to make a same day trip to pharmacy 1 hour away.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Franasiak was always willing and available to answer questions or concerns, even returning phone calls late at night. He has a very empathetic bedside manner.... Dr. Franasiak is caring and gentle. He uses the best available evidence to assist him in his decisions and is willing to research for additional treatments that may assist pregnancy. He is thoughtful and I believe he is making the best decisions ossible with regards to my needs and my care
RMA has a large set of resources available due to it's size but then sometimes appointments can be hard to get and you may have to travel a distance for some treatments depending on how close you live to the main center. They have very educated and capable staff but I often found it difficult to get someone directly on the phone.... Egg donor/retrieval cost approximately $25,000. Embryo transfer was approximately $5000.
How was your experience with Jason M. Franasiak at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask as many questions as you can think of and write them down as prep for meeting with the doctor.
We started with egg retrieval immediately as he didn't feel IUI was an option for me. He tried egg retrieval twice but then felt it wouldn't be ethical to continue trying as I was a "low responder." We moved onto an egg donor which initially produced a pregnancy. I was offered acupuncture on day of transfer. The miscarriage occurred after my discharge from fertility care. Now they have placed me on probiotics/prebiotics in prep for my next transfer cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Samantha Columbo)
Samantha was the most understanding and compassionate nurse I have met through this process. She addressed every concern and question I had immediately, never making me wait long for information. She also allowed me to provide suggestions about how I wanted my care to be carried out and assisted in adjusting things when I requested it.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Morning monitoring was always much earlier than I needed it to be before work. Most of the time, I had a minimal wait period in the waiting room but on occasion they got backed up.
Egg donor/retrieval cost approximately $25,000. Embryo transfer was approximately $5000. All appointments with ultrasounds were $500 and doctor's consult was $250 each time.
My doctor prefers single embryo transfers due to evidence indicating it is equally successful and less harmful to the baby and the mother.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
I made sure to stay on top of certain things such as scheduling appointments or getting prescriptions because on a rare occasion, it would be missed. But they always addressed the issue if I brought it to their attention.
Marlton

Protocols were not aggressive [with Dr. Shastri]. Medications were conservatively increased for me. This is understandable because when I first tried clomid for my first cycle, I developed a 40 mm cyst. Dr Shastri was afraid I would develop ovarian torsion so she cancelled the cycle...When I had my IUIs, Dr Shefali Shastri did not perform any of them...does have a great positive energy and great bedside manners...is compassionate and has a great positive energy. If she would perform all treatments for her patients, I would give her 10 out of 10.
Be prepared to receive treatment from other doctors [at RMA of New Jersey]. Research and be your own advocate...I wish they would have scheduled more monitoring because I felt there were a number of times where I ovulated early and by the time I received my IUI it was too late. My nurse said they don’t rely on at home ovulation predictor tests...Nurse Lynette was great. She explained everything very well. She accommodated me by calling me after 4 pm because I leave work at 4 pm. Or she would email me in case I was not able to be reached.
How was your experience with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Shefali Shastri is compassionate and has a great positive energy. If she would perform all treatments for her patients, I would give her 10 out of 10. But because other doctors perform the treatments, I gave 8 out of 10.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
Don’t expect Dr Shefali Shastri to perform all of your IUIs or monitoring. Be prepared to receive treatment from other doctors. Research and be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey?
During monitoring with other doctors scheduled for that day, I felt like a number. When I had my IUIs, Dr Shefali Shastri did not perform any of them. Other doctors that I have never met before performed the IUIs. I felt like a number with the other doctors. I can tell they did not take the time to review my chart to get to know my case a little more. I understand they have other patients to tend to. However going through this emotional rollercoaster journey of fertility, I felt Dr Shastri should have been the one to perform my IUIs. There were a few times Dr Shastri did do the monitoring because she was scheduled for that day. Other than that, Dr Shastri does have a great positive energy and great bedside manners. I wish she did my IUIs. Maybe they would have worked.
Describe the protocols Shefali Shastri used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Protocols were not aggressive. Medications were conservatively increased for me. This is understandable because when I first tried clomid for my first cycle, I developed a 40 mm cyst. Dr Shastri was afraid I would develop ovarian torsion so she cancelled the cycle. I wish they would have scheduled more monitoring because I felt there were a number of times where I ovulated early and by the time I received my IUI it was too late. My nurse said they don’t rely on at home ovulation predictor tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Yes, Lynette Cardona)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
One strength RMA has is that it’s organized. Some weaknesses of RMA is that other doctors will perform some of the services. You may not see your assigned doctor at all. Be your own advocate. Also, RMA does not have a patient portal. Although your nurse or other nurses, if your nurse is out, will contact you and let you know your results from monitoring, they won’t give you a print out of your results. The only way to get your medical records is by requesting a copy of your medical records and then paying for each page up to the max $50.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shefali Shastri at RMA of New Jersey.
I was lucky to have insurance cover all my IUIs, monitoring, HSG test, and endometrial biopsy. I had $50 copays for each visit. Mental counseling there was $175 fee paid directly to the Psychologist. This counseling session was required when using anonymous donor sperm. I believe it’s a higher cost when dealing with a known sperm donor. I had to pay $350 for genetic screening which RMA required I complete prior to starting the cycle. And then for each new donor sperm, I was required to do genetic counseling that fee was $75 each counseling session. And had to pay for donor sperm out of pocket. For my 6 IUIs, I calculated that we’ve spent a little over $10,000. My insurance covers IVF, but there’s a fertility mandate in NJ. This mandate requires me to complete a total of 12 failed IUIs before being required to cover IVF. Hopefully the law will be changed soon. My wife and I decided to do IVF at a different fertility clinic. They have a more affordable price for IVF. Just waiting for this Coronavirus shut down to end to start my cycle.
Describe Shefali Shastri's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
I have not done IVF yet, but from my understanding RMA will only transfer 1 embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
All IUIs were performed at the Basking Ridge location. During one cycle, a major mistake happened in their Basking Ridge lab. In my previous cycles, I had California Cryobank donor sperm. In this particular cycle, I had Fairfax Cryobank donor sperm delivered. I confirmed via email with RMA the donor sperm had come from Fairfax. However, the lab documented in my file as California Cryobank. RMA even called me to confirm the correct cryobank. But someone in their lab failed to correct the information on my file. When they thawed the sperm, they used California Cryobank’s thaw procedures instead of Fairfax Cryobank’s thaw procedures thus damaging donor sperm.
Shefali Shastri
Springfield

Dr. Chu is truly invested in your success. She’s optimistic and realistic at the same time. She was empathetic and honest. I liked her a lot as a person and trusted her as a Dr. I just wish we would have had more face time. I didn’t most if my treatment communicating through my nurse rather than with Dr. Chu...Dr. Chu is smart, empathetic and great to work with. I really enjoyed the consults that we had any appointment that I had when she was on call. I only wish I had seen her more!
[RMA of NJ- Englewood clinic] Strengths: 1) Amazing success rates with IVF which I ended up not being a great candidate for. 2) Front deal staff is really nice. 3) wait times are not usually long. Weaknesses: 1) lack of face time with Dr sometimes made me feel like I was at a factory. 2) Englewood office was closed on weekends so I had to drive 45 minutes to Basking Ridge. 3) Push to move right to IVF with Donor Egg was overwhelming.
How was your experience with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
I would recommend Dr. Chu 10/10 if she were in a small practice. I struggled with the lack of face time and personal communication at RMA. Dr. Chu is smart, empathetic and great to work with. I really enjoyed the consults that we had any appointment that I had when she was on call. I only wish I had seen her more!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
She’s wonderful and knows what she’s doing!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey?
Describe the protocols Micheline Chu used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I am 43 and conceived my daughter naturally at 40, delivering at 41. I have a diminished Ovarian reserve, but otherwise unexplained secondary infertility. Because I conceived naturally on my own, we didn’t jump right into IVF. We did 4 IUI cycles with full stims. The first 2 were straight IUIs. The second 2 were option to convert to IVF if I produced 3 or more follicles. I never produced more than 1-2 so all 4 were IUI. All 4 didn’t take. Dr. Chu didn’t recommend moving to IVF with so few follicles because chances were so slim that we would get as far as implantation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Robinson )
Sarah was great but it wasn’t the best experience not being able to talk to the Dr. I don’t blame Sarah for that, it’s the RMA model.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Micheline Chu at RMA of New Jersey.
Hooooo boy. We had no insurance coverage. IUI cycles were about $6,000 plus meds additional. Very pricey.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
I had to ask a few times why the protocol had changed. It was implemented without my input.
Micheline Chu

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Maguire is kind, patient, and will spend the time talking out all the different recommendations. She shows compassion and hasn’t given up on me...The doctors also do not believe in reproductive immunology...Dr Maguire’s bedside manner is kind and patient...High levels of stims to get the most eggs (said I needed it even though I was 31). When asked about it affecting quality of eggs she does not think so, other doctors may disagree.
Very nice staff [at RMA] overall, efficient check in process and morning monitoring that’s long enough to get to before work. Facilities are clean and all of the doctors are made up to speed on your records before meeting with you. It could feel factory like from time to time due to the size especially when visiting the basking ridge nj office. Overall it’s a good experience and really organized... morning monitoring hours.
How was your experience with Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Maguire is kind, patient, and will spend the time talking out all the different recommendations. She shows compassion and hasn’t given up on me. When I first started I was deemed a really easy case and got pregnant the first round but it ended in a missed miscarriage just before the first trimester was about to end and it was with a chromosomally normal embryo. I then went on to have a failed transfer and then an ectopic (which no one ever explained was possible through IVF). The doctors also do not believe in reproductive immunology.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask for all prospective outcomes even if you CCS test an embryo know that it doesn’t guarantee a pregnancy and won’t aid against a miscarriage.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Maguire’s bedside manner is kind and patient
Describe the protocols Marcy Maguire used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
High levels of stims to get the most eggs (said I needed it even though I was 31). When asked about it affecting quality of eggs she does not think so, other doctors may disagree. Transfer protocol is pretty typical estradiol and progesterone. Ask about a natural transfer. All of mine have been medicated and just found out I didn’t necessarily need that. Hysteroscopy should be done for all patients not just saline sonogram. All testing for blood clotting disorders and other auto immune tests should be done before first transfer not after a failure or miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Beth Harley)
My nurse support changed midway through my treatment. My support has been pretty good with the exception of some confusion once they had a new urologist start with them and had some issues with coordinating with this new doctor for my husband. Some tests slipped through the cracks but overall I have been well supported.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Very nice staff overall, efficient check in process and morning monitoring that’s long enough to get to before work. Facilities are clean and all of the doctors are made up to speed on your records before meeting with you. It could feel factory like from time to time due to the size especially when visiting the basking ridge nj office. Overall it’s a good experience and really organized.
I have no issues with morning monitoring hours. A hand full of times there were long wait times but I do think it’s run efficiently and worked well in the morning before work starting very early at 5:30 am to 7:30 am.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey.
A full cycle from retrieval to transfer is approx 20k and meds 4K
Describe Marcy Maguire's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
My doctor selected the highest grade embryo each time. Makes sense.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
With the onboarding of a new urologist there were some hiccups when my husband began being treated with them. From appointments to semen analysis to scheduling next steps in a surgery. These appeared to be the results of just a new doctor and process merging into RMAs practice.
West Orange

She [Dr. Constantini-Ferrando] is warm and personable as well as knowledgeable. Unfortunately after our first appointment I didn’t feel like we had an opportunity to talk strategy and most of the information I got seemed be on a “need to know” basis or I came with questions but the process is complicated and could use some more detailed explaining along the way....The way she’s interacted with me made me feel like she really cared about the outcome of my treatment.
The front desk [at RMA] is very friendly. My one criticism would be the phone system, it’s not easy to get someone on the phone. Typically you have to get a callback. You have to go through a lot of steps when you’re trying to leave a message and it always seems that you’re “in line” waiting for the next receptionist to pick up the call...While be Breanna always had a very positive demeanor and tone of voice, I just felt like I was getting dribs and drabs of information.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She is warm and personable as well as knowledgeable. Unfortunately after our first appointment I didn’t feel like we had an opportunity to talk strategy and most of the information I got seemed be on a “need to know” basis or I came with questions but the process is complicated and could use some more detailed explaining along the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Come prepared with your questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
She has a warm manner. The way she’s interacted with me made me feel like she really cared about the outcome of my treatment.
Describe the protocols Maria Costantini-Ferrando used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
We used estradiol first. Then low-dose hCG, Cetrotide, and Gonal F. For the trigger it was Lupron and Pregnyl. I responded well to most. Gonal F gave me terrible headaches.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Breanna)
While be Breanna always had a very positive demeanor and tone of voice, I just felt like I was getting dribs and drabs of information. Just the immediate next step for the next morning or the next day. I always felt like I had to follow up and ask more questions about what the bigger picture next steps would be.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The front desk is very friendly. My one criticism would be the phone system, it’s not easy to get someone on the phone. Typically you have to get a callback. You have to go through a lot of steps when you’re trying to leave a message and it always seems that you’re “in line” waiting for the next receptionist to pick up the call
Monitoring hours are between six and 730 in the morning. It’s always crowded, but the blood work typically goes very quickly. Then you’ll go back out to the waiting room and wait for the ultrasound. Sometimes it takes a little longer for the doctor to make it into the room. But generally speaking your in and out within 30-45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey.
For an IVF cycle, insurance was charged $9500. I paid approximately $3000 out-of-pocket which covered the cryopreservation and the coinsurance portion.

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr Yih was very nice and knowledgeable. she always was forthcoming with information and answered our questions. She was usually easy to get a hold of if needed but sometimes I felt like she thought we were a lost cause and not given the same attention as younger patients...However, there were some very critical things that were over looked by her at the time of our first meeting which ultimately impacted our journey financially.
The appointments seem to run right on time. I don't remember ever spending more than 10 minutes waiting in the waiting room. They [RMA] also have a place on site that can draw blood or test semen right away. Another strength is that they have a nutritionist onsite several times a week too...My nurse did answer some questions if I called the clinic and she would call me back with the answer usually within a day. She would also email me if needed.
How was your experience with Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Yih was very nice and knowledgeable. she always was forthcoming with information and answered our questions. She was usually easy to get a hold of if needed but sometimes I felt like she thought we were a lost cause and not given the same attention as younger patients. Time is not on our side and she pretty much told us that too. I am a very optimistic person and always kept telling myself that this is possible even though times she acted like we were out of our league.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey?
Always stay optimistic even if she says there is little hope. Where this is life there is always hope. Ask a lot of questions and don't stop until you get the complete answer to your question even if it is not the answer you want to hear.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Yih was very straight forward. She did explain things to us and did take the time we needed and were not rushed out of the office. However, there were some very critical things that were over looked by her at the time of our first meeting which ultimately impacted our journey financially.
Describe the protocols Melissa Yih used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Dr Yih only did 2 chlomid cycles with us because my insurance would not pay for the ivf at the time. I did a few FSH blood test to see if I still had viable eggs. although my numbers were going up they were still in the range of having viable eggs even though I was 45 years old. I feel she should have tried to take some eggs to freeze and or test to see if they were of a good quality. now that I am 50 I know that my eggs are not a quality that I could use them for my own ivf. Neither of the rounds of chlomid were positive. I was glad to try them because it gave me hope that it definitely could happen for us because if you don't try you have 0 chance of getting pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
My nurse did answer some questions if I called the clinic and she would call me back with the answer usually within a day. She would also email me if needed. She was nice but I still feel that we were not taken seriously because of our ages. when I would contact the clinic about having specific forms filled out I felt like I got the run around and one time we missed getting the forms to the Baby Quest grant people in time because of a miscommunication with either the nursing staff or the doctor
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I like the location because it is only about 15 minutes from home and work which to me is a positive thing especially when my husband had to take in a semen sample. The appointments seem to run right on time. I don't remember ever spending more than 10 minutes waiting in the waiting room. They also have a place on site that can draw blood or test semen right away. Another strength is that they have a nutritionist onsite several times a week too.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Yih at RMA of New Jersey.
my insurance at the time only paid for diagnostic tests and not the actual ivf or iui but it did cover the meds like cholmid. although the first initial visit was about $300 that I didn't have the money to pay for and my fiancée had to pay for it until I could reimburse him (we were not married yet) and now that I have a better job with better insurance it covers most of the office visits and meds but because of the age limit on the mandate it will not pay for the IVF.
Describe Melissa Yih's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Dr. Yih did discuss the eSET with us but didn't really comment if it was the best solution or not. I did a lot of research and found that the eSET was actually healthier for the mother not having the stress of carrying multiples and especially because my husband does not want twins.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
When we first went to RMA it was a good visit and we were excited to find out that we would be able to have a positive result however we were not married yet and for me to be on my husbands policy we had to get married. we planned our wedding in august and we met with Dr Yih in May. We did all the stuff needed to advance but she didn't tell us that the state of NJ had a mandate that insurance would only cover the IVF for women under the age of 46. I was 45 at the time and we got married just 2 weeks after I turned 46 and could be on my husbands policy. if we had known or had been told of this stipulation we would have gotten married in May and had everything done before the end of July. This information fell thru the cracks on every level, doctor, nurse, financial advisor which ultimately left us without financial support to continue the journey to have a child.
Melissa Yih
Hamilton (closed)

Dr Hong was kind yet direct, and very adaptive. She carefully considered responses to questions and was honest when there wasn’t an answer she could provide.... She had a good bedside manner but was direct which was appreciated. She took stances and explained what informed her decisions. She gave us excellent recommendations that really considered our circumstances. She informed us of risks but ultimately showed confident decision making.
Receptionists [RMA- West Orange] are friendly, though aren’t the best with protecting privacy. The clinic’s secure email system is beyond annoying. Calls are generally returned quickly but there was at least one instance where I didn’t get a call back from a covering nurse on a holiday. They won’t take or dispense excess medication and charge for nurse administration.... Ran tests I had asked not to due to cost and lack of essential nature.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr Hong was excellent. She had a good bedside manner but was direct which was appreciated. She took stances and explained what informed her decisions. She gave us excellent recommendations that really considered our circumstances. She informed us of risks but ultimately showed confident decision making.
Ask to speak with her if the nurses give you a hard time. She will almost always make time within a few hours.
Started with 7 days of Alyacen to raise estrogen. Follistim AQ + Menopur. Ganirelix to suppress ovulation and Pregnyl for trigger.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Jill)
Jill can be difficult. She showed compassion when my cycle was cancelled due to a cyst but was very frustrating to work with around weight, despite me being overweight due to the PCOS I am in treatment for. She can also be quite rigid, so push back if something doesn’t feel right and ask to speak to your MD if she tells you nothing can be done. She was vague in wording with drug instructions a few times as well.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Receptionists are friendly, though aren’t the best with protecting privacy. The clinic’s secure email system is beyond annoying. Calls are generally returned quickly but there was at least one instance where I didn’t get a call back from a covering nurse on a holiday. They won’t take or dispense excess medication and charge for nurse administration.
egg retrieval cycle with ICSI was 13k + drug costs (2.5k) including genetic testing with insurance covering 50%.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
Didn’t have calls returned during on call periods. Ran tests I had asked not to due to cost and lack of essential nature.
West Orange

Dr. Jurema was very caring, but RMA is huge so I only saw/talked with him a few times and was assigned a nurse who I spoke to much more frequently. Dr. Jurema was willing to try a few options my previous doctor wasn't such as ERA test which showed I needed more exposure to progesterone. Unfortunately even those additional things didn't prevent us from having another miscarriage and we moved on to a reproductive immunologist who could help us with recurrent losses.
RMA is huge so you can, esp. during morning monitoring very much feel like just a number there. On the other hand, they have an on site lab so if you go to the main office you can get monitoring results earlier in the day (before 10am) and their monitoring starts at 6am and is open on weekends.... Both nurses were extremely helpful. Even after moving to the next clinic and having RMA for outside monitoring christine has continued to be super helpful in setting up monitoring appointments and providing encouragement.
How was your experience with Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Marcus Jurema at RMA of New Jersey?
Positive attitude and compassionate care go a long way to making you feel comfortable so if they are what you are looking for Dr. Juerma will be a good doctor for you. His protocols, however, were to maximize number of eggs retrieved without much of a focus on quality.
Dr. Jurema was very caring and compassionate and took the time to explain the reasoning behind choices. For example when I was concerned about options on the paperwork about embryo storage he called me and talked me through it.
Menpur, Follistim, ganirelix, lupron trigger 49 eggs, 46 were mature", 33 fertilized, 14 made it to blast, and 7 were genetically normal 1 FET - miscarried a little over 6 weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: First Erika, then Christine when she was on extended leave)
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Monitoring hours start at 6am and I usually arrived at 5:45. Even still there were sometimes 2-3 people ahead of me and the few times I arrived later than that there was a very long wait.
Insurance paid for some of our care and we had a family friend help with the remaining amount
Describe Marcus Jurema's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
Recommened eSET as we had 7 genetically normal embryos though several were lower graded. Said grades didn't matter due to testing normal

1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
1 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
The first visit, Dr. Hong took time to understand what cancer treatments I had going on, and helped figure out the timeline for my fertility preservation. She outlined a timeline for me and gave me all of the pertinent information with colorful coding, complete with drawings and explanations. She continued to follow up with me and reached out to me continuously to address my concerns.
Josephine [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] responded promptly to my calls and needs. A huge issue was with the Finance department, who forgot to include the embryo genetic testing in the price when we paid. This resulted in having to pay it later on the day of retrieval which was stressful and came with other conflicts...The appointments were organized and efficient. The facility is amazing. The staff at morning monitoring are professional and caring. The monitoring window of hours is pretty strict.
How was your experience with Kathleen Hong at RMA of New Jersey?
I would advise a friend to put all their trust into Dr. Hong, as she is truly competent and skilled.
The compassion and concern that Dr. Hong has for me cannot be overstated. She took her time to understand what I was going through as a cancer patient, was so caring, and even called to say Hi just to check on me and let me know she cared. A truly wonderful experience.
I only had a short window for egg retrieval between my surgery and the beginning of my chemotherapy treatments. Dr. Hong had me begin my retrieval shots outside of the typical timeline, and explained it was totally fine and wouldn't result in an inferior quality cycle. She was completely correct.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Josephine)
Josephine responded promptly to my calls and needs. A huge issue was with the Finance department, who forgot to include the embryo genetic testing in the price when we paid. This resulted in having to pay it later on the day of retrieval which was stressful and came with other conflicts.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Know that you can place/insert the ultrasound wand yourself if that is more comfortable for you. You are the one in control of your body and if that helps you individually, the doctors are more than happy to let you place it yourself to avoid discomfort.
14,000 for Egg retrieval, Icsi, Genetic testing for couple and genetic testing of embryo, embryo and egg freezing. (Not including medication)

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Morris] promotes eSET...was very warm and friendly - she would call me directly if I had questions. If she was in the room when my nursed called me, she would say hello in the background... never pressured me to start IVF. It took 2 years to be able to save enough for the egg retrieval and Dr. Morris answered my numerous questions over that entire time. She knew I liked to know every detail and every scenario possible and was patient and kind with me.
Dayna [nurse at RMA of New Jersey] is energetic, positive and fun. She didn't waste time with all the cliches - "it only takes one" etc - stuff like that. But instead said "hey if it doesn't work, we try again." And I liked feeling like she was going to be with me the entire time through this process...[monitoring] was very efficient - the earlier the faster you were out of there!...I would recommend sitting down with a financial coordinator and having everything priced out for you so there are no surprises!
How was your experience with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
The main issue I had with IVF was coming up with the money. Dr. Morris understood and never pressured me to start IVF. It took 2 years to be able to save enough for the egg retrieval and Dr. Morris answered my numerous questions over that entire time. She knew I liked to know every detail and every scenario possible and was patient and kind with me. Dr. Morris did a lot of my morning monitoring and always had a smile and often a hug if I needed one. I think if we met under different circumstances we could definitely be friends.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask a lot of questions! Dr. Morris is great and will answer all of them! sometimes even with a diagram.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Morris was very warm and friendly - she would call me directly if I had questions. If she was in the room when my nursed called me, she would say hello in the background.
Describe the protocols Jamie Morris used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I did "max protocol" for the meds - high dose of gonal. I got 12 eggs - which were more than expected but only 1 made it to day 5 - which was unexpected.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Dayna)
Dayna is energetic, positive and fun. She didn't waste time with all the cliches - "it only takes one" etc - stuff like that. But instead said "hey if it doesn't work, we try again." And I liked feeling like she was going to be with me the entire time through this process.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA is VERY expensive, but are the best in the area so after a lot of soul searching - I decided I would figure out a way to have an RMA baby. I would recommend sitting down with a financial coordinator and having everything priced out for you so there are no surprises!
it was very efficient - the earlier the faster you were out of there!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey.
35K
Describe Jamie Morris's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
She promotes eSET. I don't have strong feelings on that either way.
Morristown

She [Dr. Maguire] seemed caring and she always discussed her plan in terms of research. She tried to provide honest recommendations based on my situation. She doesn't really take a holistic approach. There was some information that she could have provided earlier in the process that could have helped my outcome.... While she was good about explaining the diagnostic process and my diagnosis she did not really explain why she used the protocol and what she was trying to accomplish with each drug.
The clinic [RMA of NJ] functions like a well oiled machine in terms of the process. Completing the diagnostic test, egg retrieval and transfer.... There isn't a holistic approach. They do not ask about supplements and so I don't know if taking or not taking supplements impacted by results. They did not give me enough time to search for an affordable pharmacy which meant I used a recommended pharmacy. Glen Rock pharmacy is not managed well and not professional and and it caused a lot of added stress
How was your experience with Marcy Maguire at RMA of New Jersey?
She seemed caring and she always discussed her plan in terms of research. She tried to provide honest recommendations based on my situation. She doesn't really take a holistic approach. There was some information that she could have provided earlier in the process that could have helped my outcome.
Research and ask question. Ask why she is choosing some drugs over others.
She seemed to care about my situation and outcome. She followed-up a couple of times after the cycle failed. There doesn't seem like there is a lot of customization of protocols. Its not really a holistic approach to fertility treatment.
High level of follistim, hCG and lupron. While she was good about explaining the diagnostic process and my diagnosis she did not really explain why she used the protocol and what she was trying to accomplish with each drug. I ended up with a lead follicle. Talking to others an reading articles, there may have been a better way to handle the lead follicle to allow other follicles to catch up.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
She tried to follow-up in timely manner. I had quite a few questions as the cycle progressed and she answered them throughly and explained why she provided the answer. Sometimes the transfer of information did not go smoothly when she was out of the office and another nurse was in charge of my case.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic's monitoring hours were convenient. The clinic functions like a well oiled machine in terms of the process. Completing the diagnostic test, egg retrieval and transfer. They assigned modules before the egg retrieval that would have been helpful to review while completing the diagnostic tests so that i had a better sense of what would happen next and that could have helped me figure out more questions to ask in regards to my care. There isn't a holistic approach. They do not ask about supplements and so I don't know if taking or not taking supplements impacted by results. They did not give me enough time to search for an affordable pharmacy which meant I used a recommended pharmacy. Glen Rock pharmacy is not managed well and not professional and and it caused a lot of added stress. In addition, I felt the same way about GeneScreen for genetic counseling. For a professional and renowned institution one would think they were have more professional partners/affiliations .
A times there were a lot of patients during monitoring hours. However, I always tried to arrive relatively early and I never had to wait too long. It was relatively close to my job so their hours in conjunction with my work hours worked well. On most days I did not have to wait long unless they were having staffing issues. However, West Orange does not have Saturday hours which is very inconvenient; all patients have to go to Basking Ridge and the wait is a little longer because everyone who goes to their other clinics are funneled to one facility.
I do not recall; it was a lot.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
The person who called my prescription to the pharmacy did not use my doctor's name and it caused confusion with the follistim discount. There was a slight communication breakdown at times when my nurse was out of the office.
West Orange

He explained treatment plans. When our results continued to lead to poor numbers he didn’t change the protocol which I wish he would have. He kept being optimistic that the treatment plan was a good one and that it just might result in success at some point. After 4 cycles of the same we decided to go for another opinion.... We used menopur, gonal f and cetrotide. We never went over 225 of menopur or 300 Gonal f. We used growth hormone once.
[RMA of NJ is a] Big, clean professional outfit. You could have any of the doctors do your monitoring, retrieval or transfer so don’t get too attached to anyone. The monitoring appointments were hit or miss. You could wait a very long time at times. Sometimes stand on a long line and stand ina crowded waiting room. They are strict about payment. They will not give you any instruction until your account shows it’s been paid. No exceptions.
How was your experience with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
Discuss other options for changing medication dosages, triggering earlier, transferring 3 day fresh embryos or not PGD testing. It seems he has a set protocol per patient and doesn’t seem to veer from it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Rybak was always compassionate. He took the time to explain things. He made a point to reach out to me by phone. During monitoring and communicating with the nurses it felt less personal.
Describe the protocols Eli Rybak used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Rhonda)
Nursing didn’t feel personalized enough for me.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
It was tough on my schedule because of limited hours and a lot of people coming at the same time.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey.
My insurance covered most of it. Also with my insurance medications were discounted. Laser acupuncture they provided was not covered although acupuncture is covered by my insurance.
Describe Eli Rybak's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
He only wanted to transfer PGD tested embryos
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
Was once waiting for a critical result and missed the call by a minute. Didn’t leave a message and had to wait anxiously. Also once didn’t have enough medication because wasn’t ordered properly and had to make a special trip to ensure I had what I needed.
Englewood

He [Dr. Paul Bergh] did recommend I lose weight but was very professional about it. I also told him that I had problems with pelvic floor disorder and these tests were tough for me. He was very professional about that as well. Never may me feel diminished in any way as a patient because of it. Allowed me to get the hysteroscopy done at the hospital under anesthesia...he was candid but professional. He was very thorough but also very invested in getting me pregnant. He discovered that I had Celiac Disease which was a piece of the puzzle no other doctor had found out about me. I enjoyed working with him.
The billing department [at RMA of New Jersey] was thorough in going through a screen process where they evaluated what your health insurance covered. However they have an outrageous admin fee for donor embryo...The nurse assigned to me was very organized and you can do your lab work right on site. The monitoring is done early in the morning one day a week. I will say if you need medical records from them or sent to them leave a long time to do so. Dealing with the medical records department can take a long time. This is a large facility and it can feel as though they are a well oiled machine. I would warn people who are overweight to address that issue before attending this facility. A friend of mine's wife attended this facility with PCOS and they called her obese. PCOS however contributes to obesity from what I understand. The one area I do no care for in this place is the billing department. Before you can go in for your appointment you have to sit down with the billing department. Is this is your first round with infertillity and your husband is anything like my husband, sitting down to talk about money before your appointment seems a little obscene. Shouldn't we be talking about cost after you recommend a course of treatment? Also we were lucky to be covered by the NJ mandated IVF coverage at the time. However, they told me to be a part of the embryo donor program (using anonymous embryos) you have to pay $5,000 that is not covered by the insurance. At other facilities out of state this is the cost of a frozen embryo transfer with a donor embryo. Why so much? Isn't charging for embryos illegal in New Jersey? Someone should look into this. This bill was not itemized either. They didn't tell me what the actual reason for asking us for $5,000 were. The embryos were already made and stored. All they were doing was matching us with available donor embryo. We left for this reason because I was thoroughly annoyed by that amount and told it was because in New Jersey they charge crazy administration fees for donor embryo programs.
How was your experience with Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey?
I liked Dr. Bergh he was candid but professional. He was very thorough but also very invested in getting me pregnant. He discovered that I had Celiac Disease which was a piece of the puzzle no other doctor had found out about me. I enjoyed working with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey?
He does tell you what his honest opinion is about your diagnosis and I value that. However I could see patients having a hard time with him if they wanted to go on a wing and a prayer and try with their own eggs with a very likely unsuccesful outcome.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey?
Even though this is a big busy practice you do get to see Dr. Bergh and he was very candid and frank at the consultation. He told me right away that my best luck to get pregnant would be a egg donor or embryo donor. He did recommend I lose weight but was very professional about it. I also told him that I had problems with pelvic floor disorder and these tests were tough for me. He was very professional about that as well. Never may me feel diminished in any way as a patient because of it. Allowed me to get the hysteroscopy done at the hospital under anesthesia.
Describe the protocols Paul Bergh used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
I didn't get very far into the protocol and my protocol was different because we were using donor embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey.
I can not remeber the name of the my primary nurse but she was great ! The patient portal made it easy to upload records and if she needed something she got back to right away.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
I liked Dr. Paul Bergh. The nurse assigned to me was very organized and you can do your lab work right on site. The monitoring is done early in the morning one day a week. I will say if you need medical records from them or sent to them leave a long time to do so. Dealing with the medical records department can take a long time. This is a large facility and it can feel as though they are a well oiled machine. I would warn people who are overweight to address that issue before attending this facility. A friend of mine's wife attended this facility with PCOS and they called her obese. PCOS however contributes to obesity from what I understand. The one area I do no care for in this place is the billing department. Before you can go in for your appointment you have to sit down with the billing department. Is this is your first round with infertillity and your husband is anything like my husband, sitting down to talk about money before your appointment seems a little obscene. Shouldn't we be talking about cost after you recommend a course of treatment? Also we were lucky to be covered by the NJ mandated IVF coverage at the time. However, they told me to be a part of the embryo donor program (using anonymous embryos) you have to pay $5,000 that is not covered by the insurance. At other facilities out of state this is the cost of a frozen embryo transfer with a donor embryo. Why so much? Isn't charging for embryos illegal in New Jersey? Someone should look into this. This bill was not itemized either. They didn't tell me what the actual reason for asking us for $5,000 were. The embryos were already made and stored. All they were doing was matching us with available donor embryo. We left for this reason because I was thoroughly annoyed by that amount and told it was because in New Jersey they charge crazy administration fees for donor embryo programs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Bergh at RMA of New Jersey.
Please see my previous commens about the billing department for more detail. The billing department was thorough in going through a screen process where they evaluated what your health insurance covered. However they have an outrageous admin fee for donor embryo.
Describe Paul Bergh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
I think they only trasnfer one embryo at a time.
Paul Bergh

2012 - 2016, Successful
At times he [Dr. Kim] seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. ..When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments [at RMA] so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work...The only problem I had was with the accounting department...Maria made the whole process much more painful and if I could have moved clinics I would have.
How was your experience with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
Overall I was happy. At times he seemed cold and clinical but I can appreciate now how being a Doctor Who is more emotional about it would've made it harder for me. I think you did a good job at explaining what we were dealing with. When it came time to decide whether not to do a fourth cycle he laid out the odds for us in a very matter-of-fact factor and again I appreciate that he was not emotional about it and try to use percentages and averages to explain what the possibilities were of things working
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
I think I think as a patient you have to take into consideration your personality and when interviewing prospective doctors consider how their bedside manner will work as either a pro or con for you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey?
I think he had a good combination of being frank about what we were dealing with but being sympathetic to the situation
Describe the protocols Thomas Kim used in your cycles at RMA of New Jersey and their degree of success.
After reviewing the percentage of successful birth with IUI compared IVF it only seemed to make sense to do the IVF since it had such a higher rate of success even though it was more invasive. Looking back now on the second cycle we did which we started as an IVF but switched are you why because my follicles were not growing properly seems like kind of a waste of money
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New Jersey.
You saw different people different nurses different doctors every time you went in but working full time made it difficult to schedule things. This clinic turned out to be the right situation for us because we could always get a early morning appointments before heading to work even though I only saw Dr. Kim I handful of times
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Drinks would be the flexibility. I was still working full-time in New York when I had to go through treatments so while some people may not like the fact they see the same doctor or staff every time they come in it was a strength for me since I didn't ever have to worry about getting an appointment for blood work
Describe the costs associated with your care under Thomas Kim at RMA of New Jersey.
Too many to remember but I think each IVF retrieval cycle cost about $6000 and medication cost another $4000. The frozen transfer cost about $3000 and the medications about $1500
Describe Thomas Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New Jersey.
We had already decided we were only going to do one embryo at a time and did not want to chance twins. Also out of four attempts of IVF cycles we only ended up with two embryos and decided to transfer them separately anyway. If we had ended up with more embryos I still don't think we would have done multiple transfers
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New Jersey.
The only problem I had was with the accounting department. Having to pay for everything out of pocket was stressful. Maria made the whole process much more painful and if I could have moved clinics I would have.
Thomas Kim
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
When we started back up in October the doctor [Dr Constantini-Ferrando] kept referring to our April/May conversation like it was supposed to be fresh in our minds. As a result it was a rocky start for us and it was frustrating until we found our cadence with the process....There were times I had an emotional breakdown and I felt she was able to connect. Also had conversations with my husband to make sure he was doing ok with handling my treatments.
Her office [RMA of New Jersey] has a great eLearning tool that really helps with the education part of the process....Rhonda was great. Wished she would be more organized when leaving me messages on the phone. Usually felt like she was trying to multitask when we were speaking but she did communicate all the information thoroughly....It feels like feast or famine. Either its super packed or its empty. Comfortable setting without any major issues. Only a fan a select few of the phlebotomists there since some of them were fairly rough when drawing blood. Staff is great overall.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
The doctor was great. Her office has a great eLearning tool that really helps with the education part of the process. Only issue for us is that we started the introduction in April/May but didn't go forward until November because of financial constraints. When we started back up in October the doctor kept referring to our April/May conversation like it was supposed to be fresh in our minds. As a result it was a rocky start for us and it was frustrating until we found our cadence with the process.
Come ready with questions on your first intro meeting. Its the most amount of time you'll spend with her in one sitting
I have a blocked tube that could have been treated through other methods but the doctor suggested to go forward directly with IVF given my limited insurance allowance. I'm still in the middle of the process but hoping for positive results.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Was hit or miss in the waiting room but went fairly quickly
About $12k for egg retrieval and FET.
2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Pro: she [Dr Constantini-Ferrando] has background as a therapist, so she's very compassionate. Con: we rarely see her - and when we do, visits feel a bit rushed. Also when they make observations during ultrasound, they speak to the nurse/technician using jargon, and not as much to me. Then they say, "come back in two days for bloodwork" without much explanation.
[RMA of New jersey's] strengths: doctors and nurses Weaknesses: not enough phlebotomists. Morning monitoring is always at least a half an hour wait, even if you arrive before monitoring hours start. Also some of the phlebotomists are not great. Once I ended up with a bruise that lasted 2 weeks, at least...Monitoring hours are conveniently scheduled in the morning. However even arriving at 5:45 there is a line out the door. It is first come first serve, and the system works, but there are just too many people at this clinic served by too few phlebotomists. Also, while I appreciate that only doctors do ultrasounds, there are only 2 doctors, so this slows things down enormously. I pretty much expect to be there for a half hour in the best case scenario, and sometimes for an hour or more.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Pro: she has background as a therapist, so she's very compassionate. Con: we rarely see her - and when we do, visits feel a bit rushed. Also when they make observations during ultrasound, they speak to the nurse/technician using jargon, and not as much to me. Then they say, "come back in two days for bloodwork" without much explanation.
It will take a long time. Everything will take longer than you think. I just reached a full year of treatment and have only had one retrieval, one attempted embryo transfer (failed) and only one viable embryo remaining. And because of insurance issues (that were muddied in part due to ineffective advice from the finance department), no hope of doing another retrieval unless I get new insurance.
Actual time spent with doctor is very short. We are often rushed without much opportunity to ask questions, or are directed to ask our nurse. However, the short time we do spend with her she is very warm and understanding. Our nurse is fantastic.
IVF with CCS, because I was diagnosed with a balanced translocation of chromosomes 11 and 18. Frozen cycles to allow for testing. After failed embryo transfer, Dr. recommended endometrial biopsy. Results negative. Presence of cyst delayed transfer, so an endometrial disruption was scheduled. Waiting for day one of cycle to start frozen transfer cycle.
Rhonda is fantastic. But I do feel like I'm told things on a limited, need-to-know basis. Like I'm only given information for the very next step, but have little understanding of long term plans for treatment unless I ask explicitly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
Strengths: doctors and nurses Weaknesses: not enough phlebotomists. Morning monitoring is always at least a half an hour wait, even if you arrive before monitoring hours start. Also some of the phlebotomists are not great. Once I ended up with a bruise that lasted 2 weeks, at least.
Maxed out my $30,000 lifetime infertility benefits after one retrieval cycle. Spent over $10,000 out of pocket.
2015, Successful
Dr Morris took it upon herself to research a genetic disorder my husband and I are both carriers for. She made she I was aware of the risks of transferring a girl and wanted me to know she was in my corner no matter what I chose. She personally called me to find out my choice of whether to do a blind transfer or know the gender of the embryo... I was disappointed that she did not perform my egg retrieval or my transfer. The only procedure that Dr. Morris performed was my saline sonogram. She was always friendly and talkative during morning monitoring and made sure I was aware of everything.
RMA was amazing. Every person there from the secretaries, phlembotomists, nurses and attending doctors were amazing. They were always friendly and willing to listen to you. My only issue was with a fellow who had horrible bedside manner when I went for my first ultrasound when I was 4-5 weeks along. She couldn't find the yolk sac and was extremely blunt and uncaring when explaining to me that I could have a miscarriage...Danielle was very sweet and nice and always got back to my when i had a question or concern.
How was your experience with Jamie Morris at RMA of New Jersey?
Dr. Morris was very caring and sweet. I was disappointed that she did not perform my egg retrieval or my transfer. The only procedure that Dr. Morris performed was my saline sonogram. She was always friendly and talkative during morning monitoring and made sure I was aware of everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Crochery)
Danielle was very sweet and nice and always got back to my when i had a question or concern. However there were many instances where she was unavailable bc of vacation and this actually fell right around my trigger shot for my retrieval. I felt I had a relationship with her so I was upset when it was not her giving me instructions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
RMA was amazing. Every person there from the secretaries, phlembotomists, nurses and attending doctors were amazing. They were always friendly and willing to listen to you. My only issue was with a fellow who had horrible bedside manner when I went for my first ultrasound when I was 4-5 weeks along. She couldn't find the yolk sac and was extremely blunt and uncaring when explaining to me that I could have a miscarriage. It made me uncomfortable and extremely scared. What I did appreciate was when I went back for my next ultrasound it was written in my chart that an attending doctor (dr forman) had to be the one doing my ultrasound.

2020, Unsuccessful
Speak up to her [Dr. Constantini-Ferrando] about your needs and questions during the consult as you might not get to speak with her again for a while as you’ll see a variety of doctors during your monitoring...When I was able to speak with the doctor she was wonderful but I think due to practice size there would be long periods of time without feedback from her...I responded well to the lowest dose of clomid so we went that route along with an ovidrel trigger and double insemination.
Some days my nurse [at RMA of New Jersey] would take a very long time to call me regarding my morning monitoring results and I also felt that she didn’t explain the results thoroughly with me and only volunteered information if I asked a lot of questions about it...The staff at the office was very friendly and almost always efficient and running on time. There were times though that phone consults were either delayed or missed causing me to have to reschedule them which was very inconvenient.
How was your experience with Maria Costantini-Ferrando at RMA of New Jersey?
Sometimes it was difficult to be in touch with my provider and I didn’t always feel like there was someone giving me feedback during my monitoring. When I was able to speak with her she was wonderful and did a great job at putting me at ease while also making sure I had completely realistic expectations.
Speak up to her about your needs and questions during the consult as you might not get to speak with her again for a while as you’ll see a variety of doctors during your monitoring and then speak with your nurse later.
Some days my nurse would take a very long time to call me regarding my morning monitoring results and I also felt that she didn’t explain the results thoroughly with me and only volunteered information if I asked a lot of questions about it.
My IUIs were covered so I only had co-pays of $25
Englewood

Dr. Ryback is very compassionate and has made me feel very comfortable. I struggle with anxiety associated with procedures and he has helped me by providing medication and being supportive during procedures.... I am still a pretty new patient at the practice so far I have had an extensive bloodwork completed, an endometrial biopsy and a retrieval. So far my retrieval resulted in 18 eggs of which only 11 were fertilized. This has been my lowest number so far so I am a bit concerned about that.
The clinic [RMANJ] is very big which makes you feel at times like you are just a small piece in the production line, however, they are very knowledgeable and confident in their methods and research. They also do their own genetic testing and seem to be very confident in this area.... Mondays and Friday seem to be the busiest and the wait time could be long. It seems to run efficiently and smoothly.... Julie has been organized and has communicated effectively
How was your experience with Eli Rybak at RMA of New Jersey?
Ask wuestins
Dr.Ryback has really made us feel comfortable and has been thorough since we switched practices.
I am still a pretty new patient at the practice so far I have had an extensive bloodwork completed, an endometrial biopsy and a retrieval. So far my retrieval resulted in 18 eggs of which only 11 were fertilized. This has been my lowest number so far so I am a bit concerned about that. This has been my easiest recovery from the retrieval as I have hyperstimilated in the past.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New Jersey. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie has been organized and has communicated effectively, however, there does seem to be a bit of formality involved.
Describe your experience with RMA of New Jersey.
The clinic is very big which makes you feel at times like you are just a small piece in the production line, however, they are very knowledgeable and confident in their methods and research. They also do their own genetic testing and seem to be very confident in this area.
About $5000 for genetic testing and $1200/year for frozen embroyo