RMA of New York

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
26 Court St.
212-256-8200
15 North Broadway
White Plains, NY 10601
914-997-6200
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of New York to a friend?
Everyone at RMA of NY has always been very friendly and caring. The main nurse I communicate with is Eliza and she's been amazing! Answering every question, email, calls, ready to see me anytime. She has great advice and genially cares. The IVF coordinator was Julia and she was also great in helping me get set-up and organize the meds process, and payment etc...the staff is amazing. They're always smiling, caring, ready to help, listen and all. As weird as it sounds, I always enjoy going there. You'll see many different doctors during the monitoring, and they're all very nice and professional. However, every step will be provided by your doctor and his team.
European, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Yes, a lot of people will tell you RMA is a factory. But the truth is, that's a good thing in the sense that it moves quickly and they're efficient. Despite all that, the staff is amazing. They're always smiling, caring, ready to help, listen and all. As weird as it sounds, I always enjoy going there. You'll see many different doctors during the monitoring, and they're all very nice and professional. However, every step will be provided by your doctor and his team.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
We first went to see Dr. Lederman not knowing we had any issues and just because we had been trying to conceive for 7+ months and were getting impatient. We went there just to get more info, not thinking we even had any infertility problems or so. He was very approachable and very welcoming. He asked us to do a few tests to ensure everything was good and he was very knowledgable given us tons of advice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Eliza and Julia)
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
When we first found out we had to do IVF, following the results from our first meeting with him, he was very human and caring. We went to see him, a bit devastated to the news, and he was very reassuring in providing us all the info we needed, all the steps, etc. He would answer every email, be okay to meet if need be, and always ready to give advice, always being very rational. We're still in the process of our first IVF, and having the transfer next week - hoping it will all go fine. So far, I'm very happy in working with Dr. Lederman.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
Be ready to learn a lot about it. He is very into genetics/diseases and will always push you to do as much testing as possible. He is available, professional and rational.
Describe the protocols Matthew Lederman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
We are doing our first IVF, due to male factor so I don't have any infertility diagnosis. I was put on birth control, then did menopur and gonal f for a bit more than 1 week, and then trigger shots for the retrieval. Since we did PGS testing, I was off meds for a bit more than 1 month and now just started the transfer meds including estrace and just started progesterone in oil shot.
Describe Matthew Lederman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr. Lederman is against, and will not allow multiple embryo transfer. He will push you to do PGS testing if you can afford it.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
[RMA of NY-Downtown's] Strengths: Staff are very prompt in responding to questions via email or phone. Weaknesses: Lack of coordination and multiple follow up emails/calls needed for the same question. Not always supportive/compassionate.... Most of my monitoring is done remotely as I live of out state, however when I have gone to appointments at RMA the offices are always clean and staff are friendly. The Manhattan – Eastside office is particularly busy and can be a bit overwhelming during monitoring hours but their process is very efficient which helps.
2 Egg Freezing, IVF
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Dr. Davis clearly explains all of our treatment options and makes time to answer all of our questions. He is kind and approachable and seems to truly care about about the outcome of our treatment.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Dr Davis has an excellent bedside manner and does a great job thoroughly explaining different methods and approaches to treatment. He is very prompt in responding to emails and addresses any concerns. Communicating with Dr. Davis feels like a dialogue between two equal partners instead of a one-sided conversation.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
You are your best advocate. Speak up if you have questions/concerns and educate yourself on your treatment options.
Describe the protocols Joseph Davis used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
freeze all - antagonist protocol with birth control bills
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Most of my monitoring is done remotely, but when I have gone to monitoring hours it's been at the Manhattan – Eastside office which is quite busy. That being said they are very efficient and if you get there early you can get in and out rather quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Davis at RMA of New York.
Insurance did not cover any of my treatment. Both freeze-all cycles were approx. $15K + $2-4K for medications. Transfers were approx. $2,500 + medications.
Describe Joseph Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr. Davis was a strong advocate for transferring a single embryo for all of our transfer cycles. Given my age there wasn't a real reason to transfer multiple embryos and the risk associated with multiples was not one we felt we needed to take at this point.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
While there was some lapses in communication [from the nurses at RMA of New York], overall they were responsive, fast to respond to inquiry - and if they needed to check with the doctor they got back to me as soon as possible. This is at the RMA of BK. The staff and nursing staff at the main RMA - were less helpful...didn't get the 5 day results at one point because they were waiting to see what happened on day 6 and 7 and no one informed me. That round did not go well and I had to call to find out at the end of day 7 because I had not heard anything.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The Brooklyn office is warm, faster, and generally smaller - making it a more ideal location. The main office on Madision Ave of RMA is a giant cog machine that routes people through as numbers not faces and it is a factory.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
While the clinic is definitely a 'by the number' clinic - Dr. Lekovich herself was warm, interested, and responsive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alissa)
While there was some lapses in communication, overall they were responsive, fast to respond to inquiry - and if they needed to check with the doctor they got back to me as soon as possible. This is at the RMA of BK. The staff and nursing staff at the main RMA - were less helpful.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
The doctor's strength and weaknesses cannot be conflated with the weaknesses of the clinic. The Doctor checked in, followed up, and kept me informed throughout the process. During one cycle of retrieval I barely saw her and she made sure to reach out.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Email is a good way to get ahold of her - the nurse can always connect you as well. She is forthright and will not sugar coat it - but does it warmly and with compassion.
Describe the protocols Jovana Lekovich used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I used Gonal F, Menopure and Cetrocide towards the end of the retrieval. I was also on Lovonox 60mg to prevent blood clots due to Factor 5. I can try to look back and provide more information but it was approx 2 menopure vials at night, 300mg gonal f in the mornings and that increased towards the end.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was morningtime before work. I was lucky enough to live walkable to the location. The phlebotomist at this location was the BEST - pain free, didn't leave marks, always quick. It took longer for the ultrasounds depending on what time you arrived, but never TOO long. The weekend hours were at the Madision Avenue location were a cluster and cattle call. Jam packed, call out your name large system. It was disappointing there were no hours at the BK location.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York.
This is tricky, insurance initially denied. So the costs of that were 15,000 for the first round of retrieval. 6,000 for PGD/PGS. But then that got discounted because I did not do transfer, so the second round cost less. With insurance finally being fought and won. The PGD was not covered, but the co-insurance was only 1,500 per retrieval round. So for three rounds 4,500.
Jovana Lekovich
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
The systems and daily operations are very straight forward and easy to navigate. I am an RMA west side patient. However, procedures bad weekend monitoring is done at the east side location. It's very busy!. Staff is always willing to help. Finance, check in, phone calls, after hours service. All very easy to navigate.... [Nurse] AMAZING! Very patient, compassionate, caring. They took the time to answer my questions, no matter how many times I asked.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Most of my contact had been with the nurses, who are amazing. Most of them very knowledgeable and patient. Take the time to answer my questions and call the same day. My contact with Dr. Stein has been much less. I expected to be more in direct contact with him throughout the process, however, the option of scheduling phone or in person appt is always open.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Tova for IVF. Eliza--RN)
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr. Stein is very knowledgeable and realistic. I appreciate his management of expectations, while also providing hope. I thought he would be the one doing all my procedures and that I would be in direct contact with at all times. But this is not how RMA operates. So I've been mostly in contact with nurses and his staff. All very nice. I appreciate that he is available via phone or in person relatively easy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Come prepared with questions and push for more details. I am someone who needs to know understand every bit of the process. Dr. Stein is very concise and gives just enough information. However, if you push a bit he gives more information.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Hours are 7-8:30 at West Side office. It's a much smaller office than the East side, so it feel more intimate. Technicians are very efficient and quick. It's a well run operation. If you go only for bloodwork, it's pretty quick. If you also have ultrasound it's a bit more time but not too much more.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Stein at RMA of New York.
Approx: $7000 for each IVF cycle, including insurance co-pays, ICSI, PGS, meds.
NY - Westside
[RMA of New York] is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues...There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler met with me ahead of the IVF and he had reviewed my file. During the cycle, I never saw him nor spoke to him. After a failed IVF, I had to make an appointment and waited two weeks to see him. There was little communication.
I had to call continually because nurses often failed to respond before 3pm. Which is stressful if you're doing an IVF the first time. They offered little information. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. I told the nurse it seemed wrong and she dismissed my concerns. There was little personal attention.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions. I went to him because an acquaintance recommended him, but I would not have chosen him on my own - I should have listened to my gut.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Don't go to him if you're older and have poor egg quality. He is of the philosophy that the more medicine, the better.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
It was very cookie cutter Gonal F and Menopur, with higher and higher doses as my body didn't react well. There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call line, but I rarely waited more than 15 minutes. I was one of the first to enter, though.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
My insurance covered most of the costs, except for a small co-pay.
Describe Benjamin Sandler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
NY - Eastside
They [RMA of NY-Eastside] are amazingly efficient! If you go in the morning, you'll be out in less than 30 minutes! Mondays are a little hectic, but otherwise, it's great. When I started, they didn't take my insurance, but that changed about a month in. I was a little apprehensive when I went for the first time since all of the reviews were from people who were a little further along in their fertility journey. Everyone at the clinic is friendly and efficient, and I also recommend it to someone who may be earlier in the process or have unexplained infertility.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They are amazingly efficient! If you go in the morning, you'll be out in less than 30 minutes! Mondays are a little hectic, but otherwise, it's great. When I started, they didn't take my insurance, but that changed about a month in. I was a little apprehensive when I went for the first time since all of the reviews were from people who were a little further along in their fertility journey. Everyone at the clinic is friendly and efficient, and I also recommend it to someone who may be earlier in the process or have unexplained infertility.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
I expected to see a different doctor every time I went to the office based on the review that I saw. I did see a few others, but Dr Copperman did my IUI, and saw me for 1-2 monitoring appointments as well as my last visit during which I was discharged. The nurses and staff are so friendly - Leyla and Jordyn (his nurses) are always available over email - they are friendly, informative and their responses are personalized.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Leyla, Jordyn)
Leyla and Jordyn were awesome! I think they both sensed how nervous I was so they always called w/ my results within a few hours of my morning visits. I often wrote them emails with questions about my results or symptoms I was experiencing, and they both wrote back immediately everything - they were very helpful and reassuring. Both were a really calming influence and amazing resource during my time at RMA.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr Copperman was extremely warm and understanding when I met with him during my initial consult. He was happy to answer all of my questions and address my concerns. He was realistic but not an alarmist. He also understood my mental and emotional state. I had come to him after my second chemical pregnancy in the 10 months I had been trying. He didn't initially propose the most aggressive course of treatment, but set my expectations as to when I should pursue those options. He did my IUI, and saw me during what was apparently a more critical monitoring session, and then was there to discharge me on my last visit.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Come in prepared to ask questions! He is really smart and moves quickly, but if you have questions, he is really patient, thorough and informative. I never felt like he was rushing me out the door.
Describe the protocols Alan Copperman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I came in after 2 chemical pregnancies in 10 months. He suggested "time sex" with the option for an IUI if my husband was out of town. He thought that based on my bloodwork, I might be ovulating at an unexpected time. They would monitor me till I was about to ovulate, then give me ovidrel, which would guarantee ovulation within 36 hours so that I would know when to "try." My husband ended up being out of town that week, so we did an IUI with frozen sperm, and I got pregnant on my first one.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Copperman at RMA of New York.
Including the frozen sperm, the IUI cost less than $1000. Each visit with bloodwork and an ultrasound would be about $40 after insurance.
Describe Alan Copperman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
I think the clinic [RMA of New York] is designed as a well oiled machine. They have a process that allows you to go in early in the morning for monitoring and you will get the responses later in the afternoon. The clinic where you have the procedures it's ok, not impressive but has everything that they need to perform the job...Julia, the coordinator was great. Always available and an excellent main point of contact for questions or to reach out to other members of the team. Erin and Martha are two of Dr. Lederman's nurses and they were always kind, answered any questions and gave you a call with your lab results and medication instructions.
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I think the clinic is designed as a well oiled machine. They have a process that allows you to go in early in the morning for monitoring and you will get the responses later in the afternoon. The clinic where you have the procedures it's ok, not impressive but has everything that they need to perform the job.
Dr. Lederman made me feel like a person and less like a number, considering the amount of patients he sees. He has excellent beside manner and answered all of my questions to ensure I understood my options, the treatment and the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Erin and Martha)
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Lederman explained my options and tried to give me the pros/cons for each based on my health history and age. He has excellent beside manner and was very responsive to questions I had throughout the cycles in person while in monitoring, via email and through his coordinator. Due to the way the cycles work, I didn't always get to see Dr. Lederman for monitoring but he was always reviewing the cycle details. For the transfer and subsequent monitoring after positive pregnancy test, he was the only doctor I saw during the monitoring hours. Overall, I am very satisfied with his service.
I would say, do some research before going to the first appointment so you can ask all the questions you may have. Also, note that you may not see him during monitoring since the doctors rotate days to perform monitoring and retrieval but he is available if needed through the process.
Based on my personal health and situation, it was decided to do IVF with freeze all cycle. I have some eggs frozen for future use and then added two cycles to fertilize the eggs and transfer embryos. I had two cycles and after having three healthy embryos (after performing PGS testing), I got pregnant after the first transfer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The system worked and it was pretty quick. Only on weekends when everyone needs to go to one clinic located on the East side the wait would be a little longer but never more than 20-30 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York.
Egg freezing was out of pocket but the IVF cycles were covered by insurance and I was responsible for the regular copayments.
Based on my age, it was not recommended to have more than one embryo transferred. I believe it is RMA's policy to transfer only one embryo which I agree to, multiples can result in a high risk pregnancy and my age already pushes me towards that.
NY - Westside
My care coordinator Nicole [at RMA of New York] was amazing. She was constantly available by phone or email and ensured that all of my questions or concerns were answered. They called when they said they would and all verbal instructions were backed up with an email. Everyone was friendly and gentle and nothing was ambiguous...Monitoring hours are in the morning. However, it runs very smoothly and I was never sitting around waiting for more than 20 to 30 minutes...and those waits were usually on the weekend. On weekdays, I hardly waited at all and could go to monitoring and still be on time for work.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths - thorough, efficient, multiple locations, everyone works together, very clear financial information Weaknesses - everything is done at the Madison Avenue location on weekends and it can be very busy with a bit of a wait
Always addressed by name. Always saw a doctor during my visits. Emails and phone calls addressed rapidly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Nicole)
My care coordinator Nicole was amazing. She was constantly available by phone or email and ensured that all of my questions or concerns were answered. They called when they said they would and all verbal instructions were backed up with an email. Everyone was friendly and gentle and nothing was ambiguous.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr. Stein is not the most "warm and fuzzy", but he is very compassionate and very direct. It is obvious that he cares about every patient that walks into his office. He is efficient and he is one of the most knowledgeable doctors I've met. He diagnosed conditions no one mentioned before and gave me clear feedback on how we were going to address various things. He listened to all of my concerns about going through IVF multiple times and made sure that I felt safe.
He is very direct...if that is off-putting, you may want to reconsider. I loved his blunt approach and his honesty. He also has a great sense of humor.
Describe the protocols Daniel Stein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
1. He diagnosed me with PCOS (first time anyone said this to me fyi) and put me on metformin to improve my egg quality and my response to my drugs. 2. He said that my ovaries were very responsive and used lower doses of stimulation drugs for my IVF so I'd be more comfortable would have fewer side effects. 3. He set me up with a nutritionist so that I could lose weight and learn how to eat better for a person with PCOS (and I lost 60 pounds!). 4. He tested me for bacterial endometritis (which can happen in women that have had IVF and IUI and can prevent implantation during FET) and I definitely had it. We treated it for 2 weeks and then re-biopsied to confirm I was clear.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
My costs were predominantly covered by our insurance. However, we spent approximately $700 to $800 in lab fee copays and office copays and our medications cost us roughly $2000 to $3000.
Describe Daniel Stein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr. Stein ONLY does single embryo transfers. We discussed the trade-offs and I was comfortable given my age and the higher risks of complications and pre-term labor with multiples.
4 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
RMA is a factory, simply put. This isn’t entirely bad, as they seem to know what they are doing (for the most part) - but you will not be treated as an individual really in any way...you won’t get personalized care and you MUST stay on top of your own treatment and be your own advocate. There were multiple oversights in terms of my care and I was tested for things (that could have negatively impacted treatment success and turns out I had) only because I insisted on doing so.
4 Egg Freezing, IVF, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a factory - again, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it does mean you won’t get personalized care and you MUST stay on top of your own treatment and be your own advocate. There were multiple oversights in terms of my care and I was tested for things (that could have negatively impacted treatment success and turns out I had) only because I insisted on doing so.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara)
As is the case with large practices, nurse staff quality ranges. We’ve had some very positive interactions and help from nurses, and then some major major oversights and multiple miscommunications in terms of medication instructions that we had to catch ourselves.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman is very knowledgeable in the field and seems to be on top of trends in the industry. In terms of personality, he is very robotic and difficult to engage. Over the course of treatment (including 3 transfers), he was seen only for the first.
Dr. Copperman is exceedingly more of a researcher than a warm and caring doctor. If you want warmth, compassion and a relationship, I’d go elsewhere.
Treatment protocols for egg retrievals were never changed or personalized, despite diminishing number of eggs retrieved each cycle as age increased. Dr. Copperman also would not consider natural cycle for FET.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were typically smoothly run. They could get be crowded depending on the day, but most of all it was as positive an experience as possible.
IVF was not covered by insurance so costs were high - around $20,000 for egg retrivel and $4,000 for FET.
2014 - 2018
I think like most clinics there is a wait during monitoring hours [at RMA-West Side]. It could be as little as few minutes and as long as 30/45 minutes. If you come very early then usually there are no issue with the wait. I personally was not bothered by this so the best advise that I would give to a new patient is to expect it or at least try to work around it by coming in very early. At the end of the day its worth it and if you have many good books on your "to read list" this would be a good opportunity to catch up.
2014 - 2018
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I think like most clinics there is a wait during monitoring hours. It could be as little as few minutes and as long as 30/45 minutes. If you come very early then usually there are no issue with the wait. I personally was not bothered by this so the best advise that I would give to a new patient is to expect it or at least try to work around it by coming in very early. At the end of the day its worth it and if you have many good books on your "to read list" this would be a good opportunity to catch up.
Dr. Stein was always honest about what to expect. This was helpful especially during the times when things did not go as I wanted them to go. I also really appreciated the fact that I could email Dr. Stein at any point with any question and he would answer promptly. I was a worrier throughout the process and he definitely eased my mind on multiple occasions. This is not an easy process for anyone but I always felt that I was in good hands and that Dr. Stein knew exactly how to achieve the best possible result given my situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Eliza)
Eliza was great. She guided me through every treatment. He attitude was always so positive and she always seemed like she was happy to see me and genuinely wished me well. The coordinators are good but not great. The main reason is that they are not as organized as some of the other staff. You really have to be on top of them to ensure that you get the right medication and everything is received timely.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I was treated by Dr. Stein in 2014/2015 and then again in 2017/2018. He was recommended to me by my ObGyn who is absolutely fantastic. Throughout the treatment I felt very confident that I was in good hands and that Dr. Stein will achieve the best possible outcome. He was always honest with me and, most importantly, was available to answer any questions via email.
Focus on what's important which is being treated by a knowledgeable doctor who has a wealth of experience and knows what he is doing.
We started with IUI. I got pregnant on the second try but unfortunately miscarried at 7 weeks. We tried two more IUIs and then switched to IVF. The first egg retrieval was not successful as only 1 embryo survived and it did not pass the genetic testing. The second try was successful and we ended up with 3 healthy embryos. We did 3 transfers. 1 resulted in our beautiful son. The second resulted in a miscarriage. And the third one resulted in a healthy pregnancy. Due date is in September 2018.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The monitoring hours are every day from 7am until 8:30am (plus minus 30 minutes as I do not remember exactly). The later you come the more people are waiting. For the most part, the wait was not long. If you arrive early then there might not even be a wait.
Most of the treatments were covered by my insurance. However, the genetic testing was out of pocket.
I am not exactly sure if there is a preference but all of my transfers were single embryo transfers and we never really discussed it to be anything else.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
this is a very large practice [RMA] and there will be times when you might feel like a number rather than a patient...once you are behind the scenes, our treatment always seemed very personal... it has a first come, first served policy. Once you get a handle on when things are busy and how long they last, it is very easy to work around the monitoring hours...Olga was our local coordinator, she handled our paperwork and telling us our lab results and what was expected for the following day or week, whichever was appropriate.
Endometriosis, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
You should be aware that this is a very large practice and there will be times when you might feel like a number rather than a patient. However, a crowded waiting room does not mean that you are part of a conveyor belt, once you are behind the scenes, our treatment always seemed very personal. A large practice gives many pluses and minuses, and you should think about what you are comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr Flisser is a very kind, very warm man who really cared when speaking to us and always took as much time as was necessary to explain his thoughts on our treatment and why we were doing what we were doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
Olga was our local coordinator, she handled our paperwork and telling us our lab results and what was expected for the following day or week, whichever was appropriate. (We had a different financial coordinator). Olga was not in charge of the day to day blood testing, that was Chrisi, who was always fantastic.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr Flisser is a great doctor, but is also part of a larger group of doctors. The group seems to help set the overall standards of what is considered appropriate treatments and Flisser must work within those standards. He cares, he is very human and humane, but ultimately works in a system that is designed for what works for the most number of people and can only tailor a specific treatment for our needs within certain limitations.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Speak as much as possible, the more he knows the better he is able to treat you. Be an active participant in your medical care.
Describe the protocols Eric Flisser used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
We completed seven IVF cycles with Dr Flisser. In broad strokes, the cycles were similar not not identical. The cycles all started with differing levels of Follistim and Menopur, followed by Ganirelix. We shifted from a Lupron trigger to a larger HCG trigger as our treatments progressed. We went in to the Garden City office for monitoring (blood and sono) during weekdays (we needed to run to the main Manhattan office on weekends). We would do a retrieval in Manhattan, followed by a fresh transfer on Day 5 (RMA only offers Day 5 transfers) and we always forewent PGS genetic testing. Our second cycle did produce a positive pregnancy result, but only lasted seven weeks until a miscarriage occurred. As we progressed in our cycles, we also decided to explore other, complimentary, options to our medical treatment. These ranged from added vitamins and antioxidants to thrice weekly acupuncture to more experimental methods involving immune-therapy. Dr Flisser was mostly receptive to our concerns, but did tell us when he thought these alternative methods would interfere with our regular regimen.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
This is a large practice and it has a first come, first served policy. Once you get a handle on when things are busy and how long they last, it is very easy to work around the monitoring hours. However, my wife and I had a great deal of flexibility in our morning schedules, which allowed us to handle the monitoring quite easily, your results may vary.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Flisser at RMA of New York.
The costs were considerable, but we were fortunate enough to have very good insurance and our insurance company classified this place as a "center of excellence" which offered it's own significant advantages. We also had a finance coordinator who took care of our billing for us.
Describe Eric Flisser's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
In general, Dr Flisser is open to lots of different approaches, but does work from the overall statistics about what works best for the most people. This is a great overall approach, but may not work for everyone by definition, so it is important to be active in your own care.
NY - Eastside
RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm which is nice because you don't always get to do procedures with your doctor.... There were a few nurses that worked with Dr Copperman that would connect with you re results or directions for special procedures. They were all very upbeat, positive, warm, and excellent communicators. I really enjoy speaking with them. The rest of the nursing staff that took your blood is also very warm, efficient at taking your blood quickly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm which is nice because you don't always get to do procedures with your doctor. It is also great that they call you with results / directions and then email them as well so you don't have to be worried if you didn't catch everything.
RMA is very effecient and is able to see alot of patients at same time. Some of the nurses that you get to know are quite generous and warm and then you feel like a human. However, you rarely speak with your doctor unless you catch him during monitoring hours - so that makes you feel like a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jordan)
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman is an exceptional doctor and knows what he is doing. I trust hime with my medical care and although it has taken us awhile he is always ready to keep trying. However, he is not warm and fuzzy and this has been hard for us at times when we needed a bit of encouragement. He is very much a scientist reflecting on data and analysis to determine best course of treatment. I can't complain because we have so far gotten the results we wanted. So his system must work. It can also be hard to get an appt with him as he is VERY busy so sometimes it seems that you speak via the nurses to him versus hearing your plan straight from your doctor. RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm.
Ask a lot of questions so that you feel informed of what the next steps are. Dr Copperman has alot of statistics and that helped me make decisions as to do IUI or IVF. In that way he is super helpful on what success rate of each procedure is.
Egg retrievals worked best for me when I took birth control pill for 1 month and then started menopur, follistum, and lupron. For FET I was on estradial pills, vaginal e-ring, and estrogen patch, and progesterone in oil via injection.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring was a well oiled machine. If we got there early enough it didn't ruin our day. And since there are locations all over the city it felt quite easy. And then we would treat ourselves for a nice breakfast before work.
About $13000 per egg retrieval / $3500 for FET transfer. $2000 PGSD for testing
Dr Copperman would only transfer 1 embryo. He said statistically 1 embryo transfer is more successful and is safer for baby and mother. We went in originally wanting to transfer two embryos so we were a bit disappointed to hear he would only transfer one. However, we only have a few embryos so I think this route is much better for us health wise and strategically.
NY - Eastside
I am thrilled with Dr.Davis, his receptionist, nurse, and all of the staff [at RMA of NY] who draw blood during monitoring hours. These are the people I see most often on my visits. I have not been as happy with the coordinators, but I deal with them a lot less... Including meds I think I paid around 850-900 per IUI cycle. Including meds, ICSI & PGS testing I expect to pay somewhere around 32K for my upcoming IVF cycle
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I am thrilled with Dr.Davis, his receptionist, nurse, and all of the staff who draw blood during monitoring hours. These are the people I see most often on my visits. I have not been as happy with the coordinators, but I deal with them a lot less.
I feel doctor Davis cares deeply about my case, but he is not the type of doctor to get extremely personal or send follow up texts after a failed cycle. He is very straight forward and matter of fact. For me it works, because it gives me great confidence in him. He has a warm personality and has never made a consultation feel rushed.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
I am very happy with the care I have received from doctor Davis. For me he is a great fit. I have a lot of questions and he answers them thoughtfully and thoroughly. During my procedures I have always felt I was in the most capable hands. I only once felt unsatisfied. I was prescribed a medication before a procedure that had pretty bad side effects (extreme cramping and a lot of bleeding). I was not told about the side effects by my doctor, nurse, or pharmacy. I am assuming Dr. Davis thought I would be told about the side effects by the nurse, or that they would atleast be included in the booklet that comes with the medication. It was very upsetting at the time, but I don't even know who is to blame. That is my only negative experience thus far, and I believe it was an honest mistake.
Dr Davis is a wonderful doctor with a great personality. At times I feel like a number, but that is due to the high number of patients that visit his office. There are only 2 doctors at his location, and at times there are a 10 or more patients in the waiting room during monitoring hours. I think that is just a testament to what a good practice it is, and it does not hinder me in any way from going there. I believe I am receiving the best care at RMA. I think if you want to be educated about your care by a doctor that you like as a person, than Dr. Davis is a good fit for you.
I have done 2 IUIs with Dr. Davis, both with clomid and ovidrel. I did not have success with either cycle, but I was fully educated about my likelyhood of a pregnancy before proceeding. I intended on doing a third IUI, but the doctor saw a uterine polyp on my last ultrasound that needs to be removed. I am turning 37 and feel I don't want to delay any longer, so I will do an egg retrieval this month, remove the polyp the following month, and then do a frozen transfer after I recover from the polyp surgery.
NY - Downtown
RMA is run efficiently . There are several locations in Manhattan , Brooklyn and Westchester so it’s convenient for people in various locations in the city . However the monitoring hours should be a bit more flexible . The strict monitoring hours makes it difficult to rearrange your schedule depending on the type of job you have .... The antagonist protocal was used for my treatment . I used Gonal F, Menopur , Cetrotide along with trigger shots Lupton and Oviidrel. The idea was to increase the amount of eggs for a successful cycle . It worked ! Just hoping that a healthy embryo will be the result .
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Dr. Lekovich was friendly and answered questions that I had regarding my care .
Warm , compassionate and caring are some words that come to mind when thinking of the nursing staff . I was told at the last minute that I needed another medication exhausted od my bloodwork and I was panicking because I didn’t k ow how I’d get it in such a short space of time . Unfortunately , I don’t recall her name but she ended up giving me the medication and tried to calm me down . I was so appreciative of the kind gesture that was shown to me .
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Dr. Lekovich was able to answer questions that I had in a kind and professional way . I love that she seems to know her patients by name even when she’s not in the examining room . My only gripe would be that she doesn’t answer emails when it’s sent . I ended up asking my question in person but it works have been nice to get a reply via email .
Have your questions ready to ask her . She is very quick to answer questions .
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were a pain because of my work schedule . I wished that the monitoring hours were more flexible .
My insurance covered some of my costs . The outstanding costs were mostly the ICSI ,PGS anesthesia and genetic testing .
Jovana Lekovich
Brooklyn
When you enter RMA , the clinic seems to be run like a well oiled machine . Everyone is seen efficiently and that’s wonderful when you are in a rush to go to work at then end of your appointment. However with that being said , it feels like a factory with a lack of compassion from the doctors responsible for your care . Return callls from the nurses take place within a few hours or by the end of the day . There are so many doctors on staff so getting in touch with your doctor may be difficult . My wish would be for a direct line to your doctor’s officers prevent going through the message answering protocol .
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
Dr. Kudesia was friendly and answered questions related to my procedure . However , our sessions did feel rushed.
When I had to meet with the nursing staff to discuss medication or had additional questions related to treatment the ladies were very compassionate and patient . They empathized with my situation and made attempts to keep me calm .
How was your experience with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
She was warm, friendly and compassionate . She answers questions when asked . However when I asked questions after an ultrasound , at times I felt like she was in a rush to leave the room the minute ultra sounds were completed . I felt as if I had a question it would be almost impossible to get them answered . I know she had other patients but it made the care given by her very rushed .
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
She recently moved
Describe the protocols Rashmi Kudesia used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I completed three rounds of IUI because my insurance didn’t allow for IVF until I had three rounds of the IUI. No pregnancy resulted from the IUI. Dr. Kudesia then started the IVF cycle but unfortunately had to move towards the end of my treatment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring occurred very early in the morning . There was no flexibility which made it stressful and difficult to arrange times with work and getting to the appointment on time . I would prefer if they had afternoon hours to accommodate people with a different time schedule .
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York.
Thankfully my IUI was covered with my insurance . my insurance paid for some of the cost associated with the IVF. I was responsible for paying my co insurance , medication , anesthesia , ICSI and PGS testing .The medical coordinator was good at informing me when payment was due. After insurance , the cost for the above was around $9,000.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
RMA is a baby factor. It is often highly difficult to get someone on the phone, and even harder to get a call back. While my doctor [Dr. Flisser] treated me as an individual, the clinic absolutely makes you feel like an impersonal number. It can be very frustrating and upsetting not to feel valued....I have dealt with many nurses who have all been helpful to varying degrees. Courtney, my IVF coordinator, has been absolutely wonderful and accessible.
Anovulation, Male Factor, PCOS
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a baby factor. It is often highly difficult to get someone on the phone, and even harder to get a call back. While my doctor treated me as an individual, the clinic absolutely makes you feel like an impersonal number. It can be very frustrating and upsetting not to feel valued. Specifically regarding the Long Island office, I have always had a pleasant experience.
Dr. Flisser always makes me feel like I have his full attention both when I’m in his office talking or while undergoing treatment. Although the office is hectic and the office staff are often difficult to reach, Dr. Flisser always returns phone calls and provides his full attention. He is compassionate and informative, always making sure that my husband and I have full understanding of all of our treatment options before leaving his office. Although I have not yet gotten my positive test, I am confident that Dr. Flisser will get us there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser is an asset to the RMA community. He is a kind, caring, and well informed doctor who has helped me to navigate through an awful and emotional process in a compassionate and meaningful manner. Although he did not personally perform each of my IUIs, he was always involved with the treatment protocol. During a particularly difficult time for me, Dr. Flisser sat on the phone with me for 45 minutes reassuring me and helping me to understand what was going to happen. As I’m about to begin my ivf journey, I am absolutely confident in Dr. flisser’s abilities to get me my desired outcome.
Be a partner in your care; ask questions and be informed about your care.
Due to my diagnosis of PCOS and hypothyroidism, I was prescribed Clomid, ovidrel, and endometrin for my IUis. Going forward, I will be doing IVF with ICSI. I’m unsure of the specific protocol being used at this time.
IUI was covered by insurance, IVF will cost approximately 16,000.
Dr. Flisser does recommend eSET and while I would like to do multiple embryo transfers, I understand his rationale.
Long Island
The organisation at the clinic [RMA] is first rate and really makes a difference as the questions and pressure is taken off...$15K a cycle ex meds and PGS external cost (which is actually $150 per embryo...having a patient coordinator gave me 100% confidence and took the stress away. Weakness is you always see different Drs and the weekend waits are bad, plus the men can take the patients chairs! That needs sorting out.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Clinical strength of the team and also having a patient coordinator gave me 100% confidence and took the stress away. Weakness is you always see different Drs and the weekend waits are bad, plus the men can take the patients chairs! That needs sorting out.
Direct but honest and caring
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Sam Maguire)
The organisation at the clinic is first rate and really makes a difference as the questions and pressure is taken off
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Very knowledge and I felt 100% confident in his abilities. He is very fixed on his way which seems to work. He is not open to transferring mosaics as he not only wants you to conceive a baby but a healthy baby. He never performed any procedures which was a shame, he always promised me he'd do my transfer but wasn't available on the week it took place.
Talk about the risks of multiple cycles to your body? Having had 8 cycles I do worry that I'd doing long term damage to myself. Also PGS - is it really really worth it? What if you're throwing away good embryos - what is the risk of that?
Antagonist for 2 cycles. I was slightly over suppressed on BCP for first cycle so we did less time on that for the second. Also I had less menopur and more follistim on the second. For the first cycle I got 4 blastocysts but when PGS tested, none were normal. For the second cycle I got 5 and 1 normal
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Efficient but it is a cattle call and horrible on the weekend when everyone decends on this clinic. I hated that
$15K a cycle ex meds and PGS external cost (which is actually $150 per embryo which is very reasonable)
1 as we only had 1 at this clinic so wasn't an option to transfer more
NY - Eastside
Before my first IUI cycle [at RMA of New York], the nurse forgot to call in my Ovidrel...Also just recently a nurse informed me that I’ve been pre paying for all my Ovidrels. This was supposed to be covered by my insurance...There was no difference between any of my IUIs. One positive is that results came back quickly, same day if you made the monitoring hours. Expect to be stressed on making monitoring hours in the morning if you are working. I also would ask for a better communication on finances. My co pays were all over the place and there was no consistency on paying for procedures
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
There needs to be a Better review after failed IUIs. There was no difference between any of my IUIs. One positive is that results came back quickly, same day if you made the monitoring hours. Expect to be stressed on making monitoring hours in the morning if you are working. I also would ask for a better communication on finances. My co pays were all over the place and there was no consistency on paying for procedures
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
As the IUIs continued, there was no explanation as to why they were not working. And we also did not adjust any “treatment” plans. No added tests, adding progesterone, etc. on my 4th IUI, I went into the city and as the nurse shut the door, she said, “IUI in room 5”. Felt like I was at a fast food restaurant
Sometimes I would see the nurse in Long Island. When i went for my ultrasounds she would just give me the size and saw i was ready. Even after a failed IUI, we never looked at weather or not the timing was off. One nurse in the NYC offive forgot to call in my first Ovidrel so I had to pay out of pocket for it. Also I found out I was pre paying for my trigger and it was supposed to be covered the whole time by my insurance
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr Mcavey is very nice, but never had adjusted my fertility treatments. We have all this “unexplained reasons” which seems to get everyone of the hook, while this is costing us a lot of money. I wouldn’t liked my one on one with her especially after a failed IUI
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Take your time when she is in the room with you. Even if you have a failed IUI, press to see her or speak to the nurse for a better course of action on the next round.
Describe the protocols Beth McAvey used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
The plan was pretty basic. Come In for montioring and blood test after cycle day 1. Would go back a week or so later for an ultrasound. Then trigger, then back for IUI. She ordered to see and endocrinologist and my TSH level is normal now. Now we have done 4 IUIs , taking this month off to save money for IVF next month.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth McAvey at RMA of New York.
4 IUIs $2,000 Genetic testing $400 Meds $300
NY - Eastside
Strengths [at RMA of New York]: Very efficient and polite. Not sure on the weakness. Perhaps it would be nicer if they responded to messages in a more timely manner. Or at least try to be available immediately to converse with the patient...The treatment and care felt very sincere...They [nurses] were very polite and professional. Not once did I feel like just a number. The care and patient they provided made me feel human.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: Very efficient and polite. Not sure on the weakness. Perhaps it would be nicer if they responded to messages in a more timely manner. Or at least try to be available immediately to converse with the patient.
The treatment and care felt very sincere.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
They were very polite and professional. Not once did I feel like just a number. The care and patient they provided made me feel human.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
It was such a pleasure being Dr. Stein's patient. I felt like he really understood my unique I initially thought there was no hope in me getting pregnant again. But at the very last minute Dr. Daniel Stein came out to see me one more time in the waiting room and said let's try something different this time. That sudden encounter gave me the hope I needed to push through. And here I am now....writing this review with my daughter snuggly attached to me (via wrap) sleeping. I would highly recommend Dr. Stein to everybody....even my worse enemy (if I had one). condition and went above and beyond to help us get pregnant.
Trust Dr. Stein. And do not be afraid to ask questions. You have to be your own advocate.
I had previously had eggs retrieved from a different doctor. After two failed attempts we decided to go with another Dr. and that's when we met Dr. Stein. He performed transfer the first time with me an it resulted in a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
it was well oiled machine. The operation was very efficient.
The cost is obviously expensive. But the two loans we took out to finance our fertility goals made it well worth it.
My husband and I were eager to try transferring two embryos. Dr. Stein did not object initially....but he eventually expressed his concerns and advised the risk that involves multiple births We were disappointed and thought he knew best.
NY - Westside
I found that sometimes the information you received from the nurses would vary from nurse to nurse....Monitoring appointments at RMA of New York are well organized. I typically never waited longer than 15 minutes to be called and was typically always in and out within 45 minutes....It's easy to feel like a number at this clinic, but they ARE pretty organized. While I got used to seeing a different doctor every time I went in for monitoring, one thing I did not like about RMA was that the actual procedures (IUI and IVF egg retrieval) were also performed by whatever doctor was on duty that day.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA of New York definitely has a system down. It's easy to feel like a number at this clinic, but they ARE pretty organized. While I got used to seeing a different doctor every time I went in for monitoring, one thing I did not like about RMA was that the actual procedures (IUI and IVF egg retrieval) were also performed by whatever doctor was on duty that day. There was one doctor at RMA that I didn't particularly care for (his bedside manner was not a match for me) that did one of my IUI's, and I would never have actually chosen him to do it. At RMA, you are very limited when it comes to choice in that sense. I didn't even SEE the doctor who did my IVF egg retrieval. I was already under anesthesia before he even came into the room. Overall, I've had a good experience at RMA (despite my treatment failures).
Dr. McAvey is kind, optimistic, and has a great bedside manner. Even when I am feeling down about the process, she is encouraging and hopeful. She has been willing to answer all of my questions both by email and phone. At RMA, it's easy to feel like a number, because there are so many women being treated there every day. Even when I felt like "just a number" on my monitoring days, Dr. McAvey never made me feel that way during any of our interactions.
The nurses at RMA of New York ranged from pretty nice to very nice. All of the questions I had throughout my IVF cycle were answered by the nurses vs. the doctors. Whenever I asked, they would sit down with me to walk me through the process and help me figure out my "medication ordering plan" (since I found the process of ordering the meds to be more stressful than actually taking them).
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
My experience with Dr. McAvey has been fine. Whenever we speak she is kind and hopeful. I haven't actually interacted with her very much throughout the course of my treatment. I had an initial consultation with her before I started the IUI process (3 rounds), and then one more before starting my IVF retrieval cycle. Other than that, aside from one or two emails to answer a question, I didn't have any contact with her until she called to let me know my IVF failed to produce any normal embryos. It was only then that she let me know about taking CoQ10 to improve egg quality and to pursue acupuncture (which I had pursued on my own and told RMA I was doing). If you have questions, Dr. McAvey will absolutely answer them, via email or phone. But it's really up to the patient to proactively ask (and research/figure out WHAT to ask). When we found out there would be no transfer cycle for us, Dr. McAvey was optimistic and encouraged us to try again as IVF is really just "a numbers game".
Do your own research and ask as many questions as you can at your initial consultation and all throughout the process. You have to be your own advocate.
3 cycles of IUI: five days of Clomid, Ovidrel trigger shot, IUI I cycle IVF (retrieval only, no normal embryos to transfer): Gonal F / Menopur / Cetrotide / Dual Trigger Lupron + hCG I was not given a rationale for following this protocol. I have a good ovarian reserve for my age, so based on this IVF cycle my issue appears to be egg quality.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
My health insurance covered my IUIs in full and one cycle of IVF (up to $10,000), however it did not cover most of the expensive IVF medications. For my IVF retrieval cycle, out of pocket I paid ~$4,500 for my medications, $2,000 for the embryo biopsy, $750 for anesthesia, and $750 for PGS testing of 4 embryos plus all office co-pays ($40 each). Billing for my IVF egg retrieval procedure hasn't gone through my insurance yet, so I don't know if I will owe anything additional.
NY - Westside
All the staff at RMA and dr ledermans office are smart , warm and compassionate... I really like that RMA has a financial consultant to discuss all your financial options available and will answer all or any questions...Genuinely can't think of many or any weaknesses...You are in good hands ! And it's great that all the whiteplains, nyc and Long Island offices all work in conjunction with each other... I can contact him [Dr. Lederman] via email all the time with questions
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Having worked with another clinic and doctor before I switched to RMA I. Genuinely can't think of many or any weaknesses - after my first APPT I told my friend and family that it was a totally different ( positive ) experience . You are in good hands ! And it's great that all the whiteplains, nyc and Long Island offices all work in conjunction with each other
I had seen a doctor before who I really didn't like her bedside manner for a variety of reasons so I went to de lederman instead. I feel so much better in his hands ! I can contact him via email all the time with questions , he is warm and understanding and gives his honest and professional opinion . He made me feel like I mattered and I'm not just a number walking into the office
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
All the staff at RMA and dr ledermans office are smart , warm and compassionate
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
I think dr lederman is very warm and honest , extremely smart and really dedicates himself to his patients . He can't make pregnancy happen but he always makes me leave feeling hopeful and positive . He cares and the thing I like most is that I can always directly email him with questions or concerns
You are in good hands with dr lederman- id say to remain positive and hopeful that the process no matter how long or disappointing or frustrating it may be will work
I used clomid with a previous doctor -50 mg didn't work - 100 did work but didn't result in pregnancy. Under the care of dr lederman I have taken letrozol twice and done the ovidrel shot twice and an IUI twice
It really depends on what your insurance covers- mine didn't cover IUI ($500+) or the ovidrel shot ($99) but thus far the sonograms and office visits and blood work were covered . I really like that RMA has a financial consultant to discuss all your financial options available and will answer all or any questions
Long Island
It [RMA of New York] was a cattle call. Getting there really early was the best way to avoid a very long wait...The finance team has been nothing but rude and lacking in compassion this entire process...Appointments are never on time and trying to get through on the phone is just as stressful - you're guaranteed to listen to a lot of hold music...There's a real lack of care towards patients here that is felt especially when the news is bad.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a cattle call. Appointments are never on time and trying to get through on the phone is just as stressful - you're guaranteed to listen to a lot of hold music. They are also very shady about billing practices. My husband was going somewhere with Zika before an egg retrieval, so we had him freeze sperm in advance, just in case. When he returned, Zika-free, and we proceeded with the transfers with fresh sperm, we assumed the frozen sperm had been thrown out, since no one told us otherwise. Six months after we stopped going to RMA, we received a $500 bill for the storage of the sperm. We are still trying to untangle this mess, both in terms of paying the bill and also making sure they stop storing his sperm, and it's now been 8 months since we left the practice. The finance team has been nothing but rude and lacking in compassion this entire process.
RMA is a cattle call. The office is always packed and appointments never take place on time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Samantha)
I was assigned a coordinator of Dr. Copperman. She was lovely and very helpful and communicative, but because I was never given contact info for Dr. Copperman, she was a poor substitute in the moments when I really needed to speak to my doctor. Also, the nursing team in general had terrible bedside manner. When all our embryos failed after an egg retrieval, a nurse left me a voicemail on a Saturday morning to inform me. When I called back, I was told she didn't think Dr. Copperman could speak to me until Monday. I only got a call back from Dr. Copperman after expressing the fact that that was an unacceptable response. There's a real lack of care towards patients here that is felt especially when the news is bad.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
My husband and I came to see Dr. Copperman because we had both tested as carriers for a genetic disease. In June, he told us we would be pregnant by Thanksgiving. We then went through two rounds of egg retrievals, neither of which resulted in any viable embryos to test for the genetic disease and freeze. His only change between round 1 and 2 was to bump up the hormones - no additional testing for any unknown factors that caused the issues. When the 2nd egg retrieval didn't work, he treated us like we were the problem and left me wondering if I had unknown fertility issues. We switched to another doctor and I'm now pregnant after one very successful round of IVF, with four frozen embryos to spare. So clearly, the problem wasn't with me. I recognize this is all a bit magic, a bit of a crapshoot, but to have my IVF doctor treat me like an annoyance for not performing the way he assumed I would is really the icing on the cake of an already extremely rough experience.
I would get a second opinion.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call. Getting there really early was the best way to avoid a very long wait.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
RMA seemed pretty organized and well run, most of appointments are on schedule. I wish they give me more clear answer on the state run grant's availability. I follow up many times on the status and I always get respond that they do not have a contract signed with the grant yet....I always get different nurse on each blood work result and call back. They are give clear instructions and answer my questions.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Dr. Beth McAvey is personal and warm. She is direct and reply to emails.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
As this is my first IVF, I wish Dr. McAvey explained to me which treatment is choose for me and educate me a little bit more on what to expect. I did most of my learning through reading and google online. I wish I have more options available to me for me to consider if the 1st treatment failed.
Educated yourself more on the IVF topic. I was abit overwhelmed and clueless.
Lupron protocol was used for me, don't know the rationale of why using Lupron. That was exactly my previous comments that I wish Dr. McAvey explained to me more on the treatment strategies. I didn't know how many protocols are available and options before my treatment. All the blood work seemed normal as progressed. As a result of this Protocol, 2 matured size, 2 mid size and 1 small one. Dr. MaAvey did push 1 more day before the trigger shot to give more time for the small one to grow. Result: 5 retried and only 1 inseminated. And the only 1 inseminated one didn't grow after few days.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
the overall experience is good. 95% of time are pretty quick and standard. wish I get less bruise from the blood drawing. There are 2 nurses's technique are bite harsh.
3 times of IUI - $2,000 1 IVF - $20,000
Describe Beth McAvey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I didn't get to that stage of process yet, so I don't have good and valuable comments on this topic that I can provide.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
Strengths [of RMA] are efficiency...I never waited more than 10-15 minutes in the waiting room...they were very friendly. The nurses called back very quickly and were good about getting any questions I had answered...The weaknesses were that it has a feeling of being a business and that they almost hope you have to jump to IVF...We once had the nurse call and she thought we were doing an IVF cycle, when clearly I had discussed with finance several times
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths are efficiency. I was VERY surprised for NYC and how busy they were that I never waited more than 10-15 minutes in the waiting room, a lot better than my OB's office ! Also they were very friendly. The nurses called back very quickly and were good about getting any questions I had answered. I also liked that I had a way to communicate with Dr. Kudesia over email. I found that very personal. The weaknesses were that it has a feeling of being a business and that they almost hope you have to jump to IVF. In our case we do have to jump to IVF because of my age and my husbands sperm motility, and I just wished from day one they would have made him get tested.
I felt like a human because I could really tell she cared. I had a full term still birth in 2016, I was 39 weeks pregnant and I lost my son to an umbilical cord accident. When I started seeing her she was nothing but human, and caring and understood my fears and anxieties after such a huge loss.
How was your experience with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
The only issue I really had is after 2 failed IUI's she never enforced my husband to do a sperm analyisis. Considering I had been pregnant 3 times naturally before coming to the clinic, I think they just assumed his sperm was healthy. It wasn't until I personally had to enforce it did my husband get his sperm analysis and now here we are 8 months later still not pregnant, but found out that my husband has 0% motility. My 40th birthday is this year, and we will have to make a big decision about IVF. I loved her bedside manner and how personal and sweet she was, but I felt like she would just increase my dosage of Clomid each month I didnt get pregnant and was chalking it up to unexplained infertility, and shouldn't have even allowed us to do IUI without him having a sperm analysis.
To make sure you ask every question you have, as she doesn't really give answers unless you come with questions.
First we tested my AMH and it was very good, and since I had been pregnant 3 times before we just did a non-medicated natural cycle that she monitored. I produced follicles on my own, ovulated according to the blood work, etc. Then when that didn't work she suggested we go right to IUI unmedicated and I did one unmedicated and it didn't work. Then we did one IUI cycle where I took 50mg of clomid, and then they gave me the trigger shot of ovidrel and that IUI also failed. Then I didn't have any more money for IUI's and my insurance covers NOTHING for fertility treatments. So then she decided to increase my dose of clomid to 100mg and then I gave myself the trigger at home, negative again. Then she increased me to 150mg clomid and I did the trigger shot again at home, negative. That following month she discovered a polyp on my uterus and I had read that was a side effect of clomid. On Feb, 14th 2017 I had the polyp surgically removed. Before we started trying again and while I was healing I had my husband go get his sperm analysis. Thats when we discovered his motility was 0%.
$75 per blood test $250 for monitoring, $1250 for IUI, $150 for sperm analysis, $125 for phone calls, $375 for in person meet ups. All in all I spent 10K in 2017.
Brooklyn
RMA is a strong clinic and well organized. It is huge, and they do a good job of managing individual cases. They always return phone calls within the hour. It does feel like a bit of a factory given the size. They are also fairly conservative/traditional. They do not believe in immunology issues and are not particularly open/imaginative about understanding RPL. They are very evidence-based, which is not a bad thing, but I do wonder since other places are more open to experimental treatments!
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
There were so so many patients in and out of RMA - there would often be at least 20 other women in the waiting room while I was there. Dr Stein did not seem to remember my case well (I had had a horrible miscarriage with gushing blood for 12 days, came to see him to make sure I wasn't hemorrhaging and he helped break up the clots, and then had no memory a short time later as to why I would be anemic. Also didn't seem to check my chart). I found him dismissive and not patient with my questions. Having said that, despite the huge amount of patients at RMA, overall I thought they did a good job in making patients feel heard - I just didn't necessarily feel that with Dr Stein.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Eliza?)
Eliza is amazing!! There was another nurse too who comforted me when I cried about starting PIO. I wish I remember her name. Overall, the nurses are amazing there.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr Stein is smart, experienced and knows his stuff. He explains things well and is a realist - a described pessimist. I think he did a good job with our egg retrieval, as he was very exacting about my timing and when to trigger. We got good results from the retrieval (though a lot of that is because of my eggs). I found the transfer VERY uncomfortable (I am not a great gyno patient) and he was incredibly impatient and unsupportive in the moment. My transfer took, but then I miscarried at 5.5 weeks, exactly the same time I had miscarried with my two natural pregnancies. Despite the fact that he had pushed for IVF to control for embryo quality, and then the embryo quality didn't seem to make a difference (they were PGD tested), he had no explanation for why I might have miscarried. He also was not overly sensitive and wanted to just 'try again.' he said it's a numbers game. He was very dismissive of my suggestions (other women in my family had a bicornuate uterus, but he immediately said I didn't have that). When I went to get a second opinion from another clinic, they suggested a different protocol. I brought that suggestion back to him and he was immediately dismissive, judgmental and unprofessional. He told me that clinic had a 'terrible reputation' (despite the fact that he had trained the doctor) and that their suggestions were off-base. This was a phone call, after not responding to my email for a few weeks. He claimed he had. Overall, he left a very bad taste in my mouth and I felt unsafe/uncared for in his care. I think he is very smart and knows his stuff but is very arrogant and not open-minded. While I think he likely provides good care overall and helps a lot of women have success, I would not recommend him to a close friend.
Be your own advocate, and push him hard if you disagree.
I believe it was a standard protocol, with menapur, gonal F, and the trigger. for the transfer, we used PIO and estrace. When I wanted to add lovenox for low grade anticardiolipin levels, he was not supportive. Said it was risky (for bleeding) and wouldn't help.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I liked that the hours were early and I could go before work, and the window of time was substantial. However, it is such a huge place that sometimes I would wait an entire hour. And there was no way to predict it! So I'd have to go much earlier than I wanted just in case. It did feel a bit like cattle call.
For me, Dr Stein believed strongly in transferring one embryo, because multiples bring higher risks. I agree with this assessment and appreciated it. (He also has twins himself, so that may bias him).
European, East Asian
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Having now gone to another practice, I see that RMA is a fertility factory. In retrospect, I feel that we didn't truly receive any personalized treatment. There is a standard set of tools that RMA uses without going deep on what the underlying issue might be. After 2 failed IVF cycles based on getting no PGC testing embryos, a panel of the RMA doctors didn't have any other suggestions beyond a different IVF protocol. They are not open to day 3 transfers. Since transferring to a different practice, we've done secondary tests for genetics, a biopsy identifying an infection, sperm fragmentation test and uncovered issues with each of these. These tests just were not available at RMA. We now think of RMA as a place to go to have certain procedures administered to you, but I don't think about it as a place where your doctor can truly "treat" you by offering individualized care and service.
Dr. Kudesia was very understanding of our situation. We were grieving from the loss of our daughter who died shortly after she was born and found ourselves faced with infertility. Dr. Kudesia was incredibly sympathetic and available to meet with us on a regular basis to patiently answer all of our questions about medicated cycles, IUI and IVF.
I saw numerous nurses over the course of my year at RMA. The quality of the staff differed, but they were available to answer questions when I called RMA.
How was your experience with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
Dr. Kudesia was available to answer questions in person when we made an appointment. She was clear, balanced and walked us through the available data on medicated cycles with IUI and IVF. We are a couple with a lot of questions and she took her time to answer everything. It never felt like she was trying to push us in a specific direction and she didn't get defensive when we questioned certain approaches based on our failed outcomes. She took time to call us over the weekend after we found out about all our embryos failing to reach day 5. It was devastating news, but we appreciated her call. She is upbeat, cheerful and encouraged me to stay positive while recognizing that was hard to do.
Schedule specific appointments if you want to have time to ask questions.
With our daughter who passed away, I got pregnant quickly so Dr. Kudesia expected that we would get pregnant again. We started with medicated cycles and IUI given there were no other signals that we had any issues. After that failed 6 times, we moved to IVF. I went through 3 IVF cycles with Dr. Kudesia, all with different protocols. The first led to 0 day 5 embyros, the second had 1 (but it was abnormal following PGS testing) and the 3rd we did a day 5 fresh transfer as a last ditch effort to see if that would work.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring was fine in the morning. I got there when it opened and there was often a couple people in front of me waiting to go in.
Covered by my insurance, but I've used up all my coverage and still am not pregnant.
Describe Rashmi Kudesia's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
When we did the day 5 fresh transfer, we agreed to transfer 2 embryos.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
When they [RMA of New York] didn’t communicate clearly what our insurance would cover, we went directly to Dr. Sandler who provided us with a one-time ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband is also an MD) because he didn’t want stress over financials to deter us from focusing on the positive of a successful fet...Only negative is financial coordinator...was not easy to get in touch with and was quite unclear in her communication. Everyone else was lovely and compassionate, especially nurses who educate you on trigger shots and Kristen, Sandler’s IVF coordinator.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Only negative is financial coordinator, Hera or Hema or something like that, was not easy to get in touch with and was quite unclear in her communication. Everyone else was lovely and compassionate, especially nurses who educate you on trigger shots and Kristen, Sandler’s IVF coordinator.
Dr. Sandler was thorough and quite knowledgeable. As he got to know me he certainly warmed up. He spoke quickly and sometimes at length, needing to be redirected to my questions or reason for the visit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Most nurses were patient and compassionate on the phone. They have the hardest work, I think, in delivering news of monitoring and successes or failures. They were generally great. The three women who took blood were marvelous. Toward the end of my time there were new women to take blood and they needed more practice but I’m sure would improve quickly given the high volume of the practice. Monitoring hours were first-come, first-served and they were efficent and honest with the time.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is very frank and honest about his anxieties, which is wonderful but also doesn’t help a patient stay positive when we may already be feeling despondent. However, he knows his stuff and takes very seriously his duty to get women pregnant. I trustes he was doing his best. When his business office completely miscommunicated what the cost of our experiences would be, he gave us ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband was a PGY1 in the Mount Sinai system and had gotten an MD/PhD at Mount Sinai as I well), generously taking care of basically one frozen transfer cycle. He was adamant that he didn’t want the unclear finances to be the stressor. I will never forget that.
Ask questions and ask him to slow down if he is speaking too quickly.
I had good ovarian reserve and was 30, almost 31 years old, so we began with med to make me get a period, then letrozole with monitoeing, a trigger shot and timed intercourse. Because I had previously had a miscarriage at 10.5 weeks, he thought I could get pregnant again on my own. Letrozole was because it has less risk of multiples and less hormonal side effects. I got pregnant on our second round - a blighted ovum that we terminated with cytotec at 8 weeks. Because of this second loss, he suggested we do a immunology work up and we found that I heterozygous for factor v lieden with positive antibodies. I wish he could have recommended a hematologist who took insurance but he couldn’t. I found one and she was fine though didn’t think I needed blood thinners. I appreciated that Dr. Sandler insisted. We did an egg harvest, genetic testing, and FET to control as many variables as possible. I loved that he insisted the progesterone suppositories were just as effective and less stressful, and so I used those and estrace of course. First fet was a chemical positive. Second resulted in our daughter! I used blood thinners the entire pregnancy and will again next time as well. Folgard too!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7-8:30am, I believe. They were first-come, first-served. During the week I would arrive at 6:45 and never waited longer than 45 min. Weekends would be a longer wait because I would get there between 7:30-8. I was usually out by 9 or 9:30, though.
Insurance covered most of us so I’m not sure. When they didn’t communicate clearly what our insurance would cover, we went directly to Dr. Sandler who provided us with a one-time ‘professional courtesy’ (my husband is also an MD) because he didn’t want stress over financials to deter us from focusing on the positive of a successful fet.
Given my age and history; Sandler recommended single embryo transfer. I am an identical twin and my mother was in the hospital for months with high blood pressure while pregnant. I 100% was thankful for Sandler’s honesty, thought, and opinion.
NY - Eastside
The clinic [RMA - Downtown] usually responds quickly to questions. They typically contact by phone, which could be tough while I was at work and involved a lot of phone tag....There were some issues with some nurses/staff not understanding my files and difficulty with communication. I also had an incident when I came on time for monitoring hours but they would not test me because the doctor's schedule was backed up. I had to take more time off work to go uptown for the test.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic usually responds quickly to questions. They typically contact by phone, which could be tough while I was at work and involved a lot of phone tag. I asked to be emailed and that made things much easier. There are several locations that you can go to for monitoring hours, but this was not always clear, so just ask.
Most of the nurses and doctors at RMA were kind, friendly, and sensitive
there were several nurses and I never knew who to contact. This was where problems arose with each nurse not knowing my care plan. I had to explain it repeatedly.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
During the few times where I saw Dr. Davis I really liked him, but most of the time I was interacting with nurses, staff, and other doctors. My case is a bit different from most and I had to regularly remind each person I was in contact with. There was miscommunication between those people and it seemed that the staff/nurses/doctors did not read my chart. My big issue is with RMA as a practice. I don't think I realized how much of a problem it was until I left the practice upon moving.
As Dr. Davis to ensure that you care is known across all members of the RMA team.
I was not quite ready to do IVF and wanted to try other options, using letrizol, ovidrel, and progesterone with timed intercourse. I liked that Dr. Davis was open to this and never pushed me to move forward before I was ready. It was difficult that it never felt like we were trying to figure out what is wrong, but just trying solutions. None of these treatments ended in pregnancy. When IVF was a next step, I was moving out of state and did not continue at RMA for that reason.
NY - Downtown
RMA (east side) definitely feels like a baby factory. However, my feelings about this are positive...they have incredible resources because of the number of patients they see...The nurses are wonderful at RMA.... it can feel disheartening to sit in a waiting room with so many other couples, often this is what attributes patients feeling like a number, but for me it helped me to not feel so alone sitting among so many other hopeful parents...We paid roughly 25% of the tots IVF costs. PGS and the freezing of embryos was on us.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA (east side) definitely feels like a baby factory. However, my feelings about this are positive. The fact that so many people go there is because it works. They have incredible resources because of the number of patients they see. Ultimately I wanted a place with good success rates and RMA has that. Sure, it can feel disheartening to sit in a waiting room with so many other couples, often this is what attributes patients feeling like a number, but for me it helped me to not feel so alone sitting among so many other hopeful parents.
Dr. Flisser took true ownership of our fertility process. On multiple occasions he made it apparent that he was going to be the one present for me because I was “his,” patient.
The nurses are wonderful at RMA.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
I felt that Dr. Flisser was going to help us be successful in having a child and he was. There were setbacks when treatments didn’t work, however I felt that as long as Dr. Flisser didn’t give up on us, we shouldn’t give up on him. He is very confident in his expertise and skills as a RE. While his demeanor could be misconstrued as dismissive saying things like, “I’m the doctor.” I actually felt that was an important message for him to say and for me to hear. We were more conecernes tbat his numbers spoke for our chance for success. Dr. Flisser is definitely a numbers guy, but that does not mean that we were treated as a number. He is invested in seeing his patients through to a positive and healthy pregnancy.
Let him do his job as an RE and build a support system of friends for the emotional support that you will certainly need. I’d give this advice regardless of who the fertility doctor is, and that is: If a cycle doesn’t work the first time don’t switch doctors just because it didn’t work. I think they are putting together a puzzle and the first time is only one piece. Unfortunately, I think people have to shift expectations of fertility treatments being a perfect science. It most definitely is not. Dr. Flisser very clearly understands the percentages and numbers and it was comforting and helpful as we dug in towards additional treatments that he could share the true chances of success.
We did 3 IUI’s with trigger shot and clomid and then because of our age and history of infertility did IVF. Egg retrieval brought 20 eggs. Of those 10 were fertilized with ICSI and 4 embryos made it to the 5th day blastocyst. We had PGS performed and 3 were considered viable. I had a single embryo transferred that was AA grade, male, which resulted in a negative test. I had a BC embryo, male, transferred that resulted in a chemical pregnancy. I had the final CC embryo transferred that resulted in our wonderful daughter.
Insurance covered most of the IUI cycles less co-pays and medication co-pays. We paid roughly 25% of the tots IVF costs. PGS and the freezing of embryos was on us.
It was hard to accept that Dr. Flisser was only transferring one embryo at a time. We wanted “insta-family.” However, he is concerned about having healthy babies and healthy mothers, which multiples have more risks. Dr. Flisser held a pretty hard line of only transferring one at a time. We know he has transferred multiples but our understanding is he resorts to that only after multiple failed attempts with one.
NY - Eastside
RMA is a factory, like most of the clinics in NYC. I found it clean and efficient but always busy. Always a wait during monitoring hours...I had an awesome financial coordinator! Couldn't reccomend her enough! Thank you Joann ndor...Really liked the nurses and carer coordinator. No complaints other than getting bad news from strangers and nurses I never met many times which I felt was inappropriate...Super busy at all times. Always a wait
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a factory, like most of the clinics in NYC. I found it clean and efficient but always busy. Always a wait during monitoring hours. I am not sure if other doctors are like Dr. Mukhergee but if you are not an easy case or want someone to pay attention to your care and not make you feel like he has somewhere better to be- then don't go to Dr. Mukhergee.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
He would not show up to procedures he said he would do, he would want to trigger me early and I would have to correct him, he did the same cycle 5 times when I asked him specifically to change protocol that wasn't working. He advised me against a laparoscopy and I went and had one with another doctor and they found moderate endometriosis.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
I feel like I wasted my time and my insurance money with someone too busy to give me the individualized attention and care that I needed. 5 retrievals and 1 failed double FET and I feel like I completely wasted my time with him. All of my bloodwork and numbers show that a different approach was needed and with him there is zero thinking outside of the box. Factory. Number. You don't matter as a patient or a person.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
Don't waste you time. I never felt better than when I went to two separate opinions after and they both said WTF was he doing.
Describe the protocols Tanmoy Mukherjee used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
standard ivf retrievals follistim/menopur high doses not variation other than the day I was triggered.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Super busy at all times. Always a wait.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York.
Describe Tanmoy Mukherjee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
He agreed to transfer two. I had one high quality and one low quality. Both failed no implantation.
2012 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I think the clinics [RMA of NY] strengths are their staffing and knowledge. In this type of situation you want to feel like people care and I did feel as if they all cared. When I had to go to the New York City for monitoring, it is a bit different. That was more like a factory of getting you in and out, but I think that is good because you want to get in and out, especially if you are just there for blood. When I saw a doctor there, he was great and treated me as a patient, not a number. I do prefer the small office though. I highly recommend RMANY.
2012 - 2017
1 IUI, 2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I think the clinics strengths are their staffing and knowledge. In this type of situation you want to feel like people care and I did feel as if they all cared. When I had to go to the New York City for monitoring, it is a bit different. That was more like a factory of getting you in and out, but I think that is good because you want to get in and out, especially if you are just there for blood. When I saw a doctor there, he was great and treated me as a patient, not a number. I do prefer the small office though. I highly recommend RMANY.
I felt treated like a human because I was always greeted and cared for. My questions were always answered and I was never rushed. Dr. Lederman and all of his staff really seemed to care and hope for the best possible outcome for all of their patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Martha)
The whole nursing staff at RMA was amazing. Martha was who I dealt with on a daily basis and she was great. She always made me feel welcome and always got back to me very fast whether on the phone or through email. She really made this experience a great one.
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
This was my second time using Dr. Lederman and we couldn't be happier. He did his research before I came in and discussed things from our previous fertility treatments. He always asked about how I was doing and was always wiling to answer any questions. He also made it a point to say he is always available through email or if you call the office. During my retrieval and transfer, I could see he cared by the way he spoke to myself and my husband.
I would give the same advice for someone seeing any doctor and that would be write all your questions and concerns down. This way you are prepared when you see him.
I know this IVF cycle was a little more aggressive then my first cycle because we were trying to get more eggs, so we could freeze some in case we want more children. I was happy with how Dr. Lederman handled all my procedures and medication.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I found the monitoring appointments to go fine. It was on a first come, first serve basis. I tried to get there early and was always seen in a timely manner. I liked how they did their monitoring hours.
I am not sure of the costs
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The downtown office is small and very efficiently run. Would highly recommend it over the East Side location, which is large and can be very crowded (you'll have to go to the East Side location for weekend monitoring hours regardless)
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
I was referred to Dr. Davis in early 2017, when I failed to resume a normal menstrual cycle after months off birth control (and failing the progesterone challenge, abnormal blood tests, etc.). On my first visit, Dr. Davis was INCREDIBLY thorough and thoughtful. He spent almost two hours with me and my husband, walking us through the female reproductive organs (this may sound simple, but there was A LOT we didn't know!), how various hormones effect follicle growth, ovulation, etc. and why, based on my blood tests, I might not be ovulating. Over the course of six months, we tried various medications to induce ovulation - Clomid, Provera, and then injectables. With each cycle, Dr. Davis took time to explain how the medication worked and how he expected it would affect me / my body. He always took care to walk us through all of our various treatment options (pros and cons) and allowed us to choose the path that felt the most comfortable to us. I am thrilled to report that I am now 18 weeks pregnant with our first child (it was a bittersweet day when we "graduated" from Dr. Davis to the OB/GYN)! I am so grateful for the care and support I received while a patient of Dr. Davis. I would also note that the downtown RMA office is small (compared to the large uptown location) and very efficiently run. Everyone from the nurses to the finance staff were pleasant to work with (and very responsive to calls and questions along the way). I personally appreciated that Dr. Davis has a holistic approach to treatment and I took advantage of the on-staff nutritionist (Dara Godfrey) and took him up on suggestion to try acupuncture as well. All in all, I think Dr. Davis is a phenomenal doctor with a wonderful bedside manner and I would highly recommend him and his practice to anyone undergoing fertility treatments.
The vast majority of my care was covered by insurance. The RMA finance team took care to work with my insurance company when any questions arose.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
It took me less than half hour [at RMA of New York] most days for monitoring in the morning and was able to get back to work on time. Initial paperwork, tests for spouse, insurance approvals were also handled without any hassles...The nursing team was very good in communicating the results; answering our questions with regard to any concern or medication; reachable easily; called back ASAP in case of immediate need (like spotting / medication dosage questions / urgent refills). They were also very helpful in navigating me to the right pharmacy to get medication immediately, when my initial pharmacy failed to deliver on time. Excellent co-ordination and timing during morning monitoring hours.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths - Excellent doctors, good lab providing results on same day, great team of staff who are available all days of week and very friendly, very comfortable monitoring hours accommodates working people, doctor and nurses available via. email or call for answering any questions, immediate attention and treatment when required. I did not come across any particular weakness, however I feel the finance team has a chance to improve with respect to coordinating with the medical team in case of changes during the treatment and sending the receipts after payment.
Right from the first visit the Dr. Stein was very empathetic and caring, but also very practical with reference to treatment options. The team made sure I was comfortable through out the treatment with regard to each aspect and answered questions without any hesitation.
The nursing team was very good in communicating the results; answering our questions with regard to any concern or medication; reachable easily; called back ASAP in case of immediate need (like spotting / medication dosage questions / urgent refills). They were also very helpful in navigating me to the right pharmacy to get medication immediately, when my initial pharmacy failed to deliver on time. Excellent co-ordination and timing during morning monitoring hours. It took me less than half hour most days for monitoring in the morning and was able to get back to work on time. Initial paperwork, tests for spouse, insurance approvals were also handled without any hassles.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr Stein was excellent in understanding my history, breaking multiple issues causing infertility; explaining the risk factors associated with each issue; and how & when it requires treatment. He educated us on some of the misconceptions we had - ex: the chromosomal test results after 2nd miscarriage resulted in no abnormalities in the fetus. Therefore we had ruled out chromosomal abnormality as one of the reasons for miscarriage in our case. However, Dr Stein explained that if the tested fetus was male then only we could be absolutely sure that the sample was of the fetus. As in our case this was female, there was a chance that the sample may have been of the mother and not the fetus. If other things were not an issue, he suggested IVF as our best option. Although initially we were not sure whether we need to opt this as our first course, he patiently discussed and explained the complications of IUI given my history of Ectopic; and how there is an option to use the ICSI & PGS tested embryos to reduce the chances of miscarriage due to chromosomal abnormalities, thereby reducing 2 major risks. Dr Stein was present at most of monitoring sessions during retrieval and transfer cycle. He ensured all our questions were answered at these visits and also was available via. email if needed. He coordinated with my other doctors such as endocrinologist and hematologist whenever necessary. Even after the transfer cycle, there were instances where we assumed it was not going to be successful due to spotting/bleeding. However, Dr Stein was very reassuring at each visit; conducted extra blood and ultrasound monitoring whenever necessary; and adjusted the medications immediately when needed. I would highly recommend Dr Stein for his knowledge, experience and excellent care & service through out the process. He was empathetic as well as realistic, practical and above all highly trust worthy.
No matter how small your concern is, ask questions to him or the team directly rather than searching it over the internet.
I think it was an antagonist protocol; Drugs - Gonal F, Generelix, Menopur, Leuprolide, HCG, Estrace, Progestrone in Oil, Medrol; Results - 29 eggs retrieved out of which 8 were good embryos; 1st transfer of the best embryo was successful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were well run, everyday morning 6-8:30. Perfect for working women like me. There was hardly much wait time, was in and out within half hour most days. Weekend and holiday monitoring is usually at the mid-town clinic.
Most of my treatment cost was covered under insurance, briefly the amount billed on insurance initial doctor visit, lab tests was billed about $1200; Retrieval - around $7500; Embryo preservation (lab) - $1000 per year; FET - $2,480; ICSI - $2500 and PGS - $3550(depends on no.of embryos and was not covered by insurance)
Dr Stein recommended single embryo transfer and also did explain the complication specific to my case in case of multiple embryo transfer.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Male Factor, Unexplained
There was a lack of communication between staff [at RMA]. My primary nurse was hard to get in contact didn’t have her direct line or email...RMA gave me misinformation about prescriptions covered/not covered multiple times. i had to call and clarify everything with my insurance company because of RMA’s lack of knowledge and follow through. They also sent me to the wrong place to get blood work done twice with no apologies or anything.
1 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is clean. They have protocols in place. The Dr.’s are nice. Runs like a machine with a lot of moving parts. Hard to contact nurses and doctors directly. You call and contect to the main office on Madison Ave regardless of what location you go to. Once you get an operator, they transfer you call to the local office and you have to restate why you are calling before they transfer you or take a message. When I went for office visits, I saw a rotating set of doctors instead of my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. I felt more like a number then a human at RMA. They are efficient at IVF but lack a human touch. I felt like a cash cow to RMA. The process is hard enough, you don’t need the added stress of dealing with the office.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
There was a complete lack of communication between the doctors, nurses and financial/ insurance authorization department. Multiple doctors would see me and information was not getting communicated to my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. The nurses would send me for blood work to their Madison location only to find out that certain tests had to be done through quest diagnostics. I had to get blood taken at multiple times at different locations due to communication problems with the RMA’s authorization protocol. Also, when I was miscarriage get no doctors on call would get back to me. RMA does not give out direct lines to your doctors or nurses assigned to you, so when you call in with a question or problem, it takes 20 minutes to get to the right person’s voicemail Then, you have to wait for a call back which was complete inconvenient because you get caught in a game of phone tag without anyone actually answering your question. RMA’s system of communicationis completely unrealistic exspecially as a full time professional. The nurses who take your blood are rude and have awful bedside manner. The just see you as a number and do not treat you as a patient. When I was spotting, I went to go and get my levels checked to see how the pregnancy was doing and the nurse got annoyed with me that I went after monitoring hours! Even after I told her what the situation was and informed her of my past two miscarriages! Do not go here if you want to be treated like a human being
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: I was provided with multiple which was very confusing )
There was a lack of communication between staff. My primary nurse was hard to get in contact didn’t have her direct line or email. They changed my care coordinator 3 times with out even telling me. I also got complete misinformation regarding which perscriptions were covered/not covered. They also referred me to a pharmacy that charged me 3 times the amount Walgreens charged. The care coordinator gave me complete misinformation which made the process more confusing, frustrating, and stressful!
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is nice and somewhat caring but she did not listen to me when I wanted to get the full work up done. I emailed her listed of test and Informed her that I would like to get all of the blood work out of they way. But that was not the case. I had to go for more blood work (that should have need done the first time around). They probably wanted to just be able to charge me the fee of an office visit. Dr. Thornton did not give me advice or answers on why I was miscarriage. She just offered to keep trying with IVF so RMA could rack in the cash
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Stay on top of your care and ask questions if you do or know why is happening or why it is happening. Research on your own and stay informed of proper protocol. Check and recheck all of the suggested methods.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7:30-9:30. Sometimes the wait was 45 minutes other times it was 10-20 minutes. You can get your blood drawn at other offices if needed which was convenient. But you have to go to the Madison office for all procedures done, IUI, IVF, etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York.
My insurance covered almost of the procedures but we still spent around 5,000 for copays, medication and blood work. We spent an additional 5 for PGS testing and embryo storing.
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I did PGS testing on all embroils before the transfer. Single embryo transfer reduces risks and pregnancy complications so I agreed with doing the single embryo transfer to minimize risk
Kim L. Thornton
NY - Downtown
This Madison Ave location of RMA is very busy...LOVED Arielle [nurse] , she was amazing to work with, super responsive, incredibly caring, and an overall wonderful person...$15k for the retrieval and transfer. Another $2k for PGD testing, and then the medication was separate, around $3,500...RMA does a great job of getting results. They can be super busy at times, and depending on when you go the wait times can be long, but it's an incredibly competent office with a very strong team.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Dr. Flisser was exactly the type of doctor that we tend to gravitate towards. He's very direct and thorough, always erring on the side of reality and odds rather than providing a false hope or narrative. I think this can often times be interpreted as having a cold bed-side manner because he's often very direct about statistics, chances of success, etc. Rather than sugar coat things he simply conveys what they know about fertility, what the data suggests, etc. However, while his approach can sometimes be a bit more clinical in nature, he's extremely patient, understanding and thorough. We started so many sentences with "this may be a dumb question, but..." and every time he would say it's not a dumb question at all and proceed to calmly walk us through everything. This Madison Ave location of RMA is very busy, but we never felt rushed or like he was trying to finish our appointment so he could work with the next couple. As time went on, we developed a great rapport with Dr. Flisser and were truly thankful he was our doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Arielle)
LOVED Arielle, she was amazing to work with, super responsive, incredibly caring, and an overall wonderful person.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser has an extensive understanding of fertility, remains very current on the newest technologies, is incredibly patient and thorough, and ultimately helped us conceive our first child. We were trying to get pregnant for about a year, ended up doing two rounds of IUI which unfortunately didn't work, and finally ended up doing a retrieval using PGD, ICSI, and a 5 day transfer that worked. We are so incredibly thankful to Dr. Flisser for guiding us through this process, and have actually recommended some of our family members to RMA as a result.
~$15k for the retrieval and transfer. Another $2k for PGD testing, and then the medication was separate, around $3,500
Dr. Flisser felt that if we didn't want to have twins, and weren't in a crazy rush to have kids, that the eSET gave us the best chance to have a singleton and ultimately would lead to less potential pregnancy complications vs transferring multiple embryos.
NY - Eastside
Monitoring [at RMA of White Plains] was during convenient times (early morning) before I had to go to work. I never had to wait very long. It was an efficient process. I have heard horror stories about wait times at other clinics and I didn't experience more than a 20 min wait here...strengths- relatively short wait times, organized staff, timely, treated like a human not a number, encrypted email system that makes communication easier, competent doctors and nurses, had successful treatment weakness- one of the phlebotomists didn't use gloves; one of the receptionists needs to keep patient details more discreet and make sure to follow HIPAA rules
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Dr Lederman was respectful and took adequate time to answer my questions. He treated me as an individual case, not as a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Martha Fennessy)
Martha was compassionate and organized. She gave detailed instructions and promptly returned my questions, calls and emails.
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
Dr Lederman is competent, trustworthy, kind, and got the results we wanted. I did 2 cycles of injections and IUI, which did not result in a pregnancy. We then decided to move to IVF, which was successful on the first try with a frozen cycle. We now have a beautiful, healthy daughter. We have 3 embryos in the freezer to use in the future as well, which is wonderful. I will go back to Dr. Lederman when its time for baby #2.
make sure to ask questions; he is open to answering any questions that may arise.
I did clomid without IUI at another fertility clinic. I had a chemical pregnancy as a result. I ended up changing providers to Dr Lederman at RMA because of the higher success rates. We did 2 rounds of femara with IUI (negative pregnancy test) and then decided to be more aggressive and move to IVF. We used lupron and Ganirelix to suppress the LH surge and ovulation, then follistim and menopur to mature multiple eggs, then HCG for the maturation of the egg. I had 9 eggs retrieved. Of the 9 eggs, 7 were fertilized. 6 made it to the blastocyst stage. Of those 6, four of the embryos were viable (2 were aneuploid). I had 1 frozen embryo transferred 2 months later and it successfully implanted. We now have a beautiful daughter!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring was during convenient times (early morning) before I had to go to work. I never had to wait very long. It was an efficient process. I have heard horror stories about wait times at other clinics and I didn't experience more than a 20 min wait here.
$15,000-$16,000
We chose to implant 1 embryo because we did PGS and determined that the embryo was healthy. The goal was one healthy pregnancy at a time. Because of factors such as my age and the fact that the embryo was biopsied and shown to be normal, eSET was determined to be the best option. eSET enables patients to have the same success rates when transferring one or two embryos but with a greatly reduced risk of multiples.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
One large plus to RMA was their early monitoring hours, so it would not interfere with my work schedule. We found if we got there early it would go rather quickly. The nursing staff always had a smile and were very gentle. The IVF and financial coordinators were always quick to respond to emails... If I was not seeing Dr. Stein for monitoring the other doctors knew my case....My husband and I could not say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Stein and the staff at RMA.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
He always greeted with smile, willing to answer questions via email. If I was not seeing Dr. Stein for monitoring the other doctors knew my case.
The nursing staff always had a smile on their face and very accommodating. Made you feel at ease very early in the morning and throughout entire process. Always available to answer questions.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
My husband and I could not say enough good things about our experience with Dr. Stein and the staff at RMA. We sought a consultation after trying without success for one year. I also have cerebral palsy and was unsure if this affected our ability to conceive in anyway. It was extremely easy to arrange an appointment with the office and get everything started. The office returned phone calls and addressed all of our insurance questions. We had looked into engaging in care with two other institutions and had negative experiences with the office staff. Dr. Stein was extremely thorough and to the point in our first consultation, which put me at ease- especially knowing all the options that could be available to us. After some testing it was determined that we had male factor fertility (morphology) and Dr. Stein was very honest in his recommendations and made sure we understood what each would entail. He also figured out ways to do my examinations that kept me comfortable. Dr. Stein was also always willing to answer questions via email and in the office during monitoring hours.
Listen to him. He is up to date on the medical literature and does what he knows is medically necessary and no more to put you at minimal risk and maximum chance of success.
We did one IUI, with letrazole and trigger shot. After realizing extent of male factor issue IVF was recommended. 1 retrieval cycles with, PGS and ICSI (10 eggs retrieved, 3 to day 5, none genetically normal after PGS testing). Used gonal F, cetratide, menopur. I was a slow responder. Second cycle he changed protocol to lupron micro flare with much higher doses of gonal F and menopur as I was a slow responder, as he felt I had a diagnosis of poor egg quality. This time we had 14 eggs retrieved, 6 to day 5, 3 were genetically normal after PGS testing). 1st transfer with 1 embryo was successful- currently I am 10 weeks pregnant with a little boy.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
One large plus to RMA was their early monitoring hours, so it would not interfere with my work schedule. We found if we got there early it would go rather quickly. The nursing staff always had a smile and were very gentle. Dr. Stein was usually the one there, and if not, the other doctors were very kind.
The clinic was willing to bill my primary insurance and then run it through my secondary before billing us.
2009 - 2017
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
I love RMA. It's a big group proactive and you might not see your actual doctor much. But I loved all the other doctors I saw...She [nurse at RMA] was lovely. I emailed her all the time and she was reassuring and answered all my questions same day...Weekdays was easier and quicker. Weekends we all have to go to east side - so more jammed and longer wait. But it didn't bother me. Staff was nice and efficient.
2009 - 2017
1 IUI, 3 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I love RMA. It's a big group proactive and you might not see your actual doctor much. But I loved all the other doctors I saw. In particular Dr Davis at the soho location
I love Dr Stein and his staff. They were sweet and understanding. I got to know them well over the months. They truely care about you, and answer all your questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara )
She was lovely. I emailed her all the time and she was reassuring and answered all my questions same day.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
He's has a very nice way of explaining your chances, being honest and ensuring you aren't wasting your time. But nicely. He knew when I should keep going and when I should switch tactics. He also knew when to start preparing me for more dramatic alternatives (egg donors).
Don't be afraid to ask questions. He and his staff are happy to explain everything and make you feel like they are recommending the best path forward.
I froze my eggs in my early 30s and already had reduced reserve. I went back at 36 to get pregnant. The one IUI was unsuccessful and I love that we didn't waste any more time with that My eggs didn't defrost well (there weren't that many) and I had to move to IVF. Always did aggressive drug protocol due to low reserve. My first new IVF only got 3 mature eggs. 2 fertilized and 1 made to Day 5. It was PGS tested and it was normal. Miscarried. Second IVF I got 6 eggs with a different protocol. 5 fertilized. 1 was Day 5. PGS. Not normal. He started to prep me to donor eggs due to low probability of success. Said we'd try one more time and if I didn't get at least 1 egg - need to switch to egg donor 3rd IVF. Converted to IUI due to only 1 egg being stimmed. Moved to egg donor. Explained all the options very well. Chose using frozen eggs from Donor Egg Bank. 7 mature eggs. 3 fertilized. 2 day 5s. Put them both in fresh. No PGS. Pregnant.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Hard to say because my insurance picked up a lot. I paid $65k out of pocket for all my treatments (1 IUI, 3.5 IVF, and donor egg cycle)
He left it up to me after explaining the risks of twins. He prefers 1 but I did 2 in the last run and it worked. Singleton
NY - Westside
It's [RMA of New York] a factory. Be prepared to be told you're infertile and only they can help.The nurses were mostly rude and unresponsive to questions. I was in touch with two of them via email- one of them wouldn't respond to my emails or phone calls and then would lie about having left me VMs. It was a very unpleasant experience
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It's a factory. Be prepared to be told you're infertile and only they can help.The nurses were mostly rude and unresponsive to questions. I was in touch with two of them via email- one of them wouldn't respond to my emails or phone calls and then would lie about having left me VMs. It was a very unpleasant experience.
I thought he and his team were unethical because they kept pushing for procedures and tests that seem unnecessary- he looked at my blood reports and ultrasound and told me that I needed aggressive fertility treatment immediately-that while there was no bad news there was no good news either. I'd been referred by my obgyn who told me that even though my results were excellent (he said "your numbers are that of a woman 10 years younger") he couldn't determine why I hadn't conceived after trying for 3 months and if I wanted I should speak to a fertility specialist to explore my options.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jordyn)
The nursing staff are bored and disorganized and almost always rude. They don't answer questions and aren't always up to date on the information that they provide.
Find another doctor.
Alan recommended 3 rounds of Clomid with IUI and then IVF with embryo freezing.
2500 IUI and genetic testing covered by insurance
NY - Eastside
I found all of the nurses at RMA to be great, but Dr. Sandler's nurses Danielle and Alyssa and beyond fantastic. They always reassured me and helped me through every step of the process. They were approachable, and if I called RMA about something specific, the nurses would call me back ASAP, often within the hour. Based on my prior experience within medical offices, RMA is unparalleled as far as sensitivity, efficiency, compassion, and overall excellence in general. I am so grateful that I was recommended to RMA, and the nurses in particular made the experience as pleasant as possible. I am forever grateful to Danielle and Alyssa for their expertise, kindness, and compassion.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a remarkably well-oiled machine. When you schedule an appointment, they handle everything with care and efficiency and you can get in and out and go about your day. I loved the early morning appointments and knowing that I wasn't going to spend all day in a doctor's office, especially because of the frequency of visits relating to fertility treatments. The waiting room is nice and comfy, and the office becomes, in a way, your home away from home, because you spend so much time there. Although you do not always see the same nurses/doctors, they are transparent with each other about your level of care, so you do not feel like you are just being shuffled from person to person. It is a large clinic, so you will likely be seeing different doctors at different appointments, but all of the doctors are fantastic, so you are in good hands! Although Dr. Sandler was my assigned doctor (and I think he is phenomenal), I also saw Dr. Grunfeld quite frequently (I guess our schedules were more aligned) and he is also a phenomenal physician.
I cannot sing the praises enough of RMA New York. They are so efficient, professional, and caring. The doctors are extremely busy and have a lot of patients to see, but I always felt like they answered my questions, and if I had follow up questions I would then speak to a nurse. The nurses were beyond responsive, approachable, and extremely sensitive and helpful. Dr. Sandler would tell it to me like it was, he was realistic about expectations, and he did not give me false hope. Dr. Sandler gave me options, he recommended what was best, and it resulted in a viable pregnancy. I will forever be grateful to him and his practice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Mitkus & Alyssa Ball )
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is a wonderful physician who really cares about his patients. I loved that he adjusted my treatment plan and when things weren't working out with one medication, we switched it. Dr. Sandler is proactive, not just reactive, which is extremely important in the course of fertility treatment. Although RMA is very busy and truly runs a large-scale operation, I found them to be extremely sensitive, considerate, and reachable. Dr. Sandler is an amazing physician but he is not exactly "warm and fuzzy," so I would keep that in mind if you are someone who needs a doctor who is more laid back. I found Dr. Sandler to be completely honest about expectations, while also maintaining a level of reassurance to me given my age and medical history.
If you see that the treatment is not going as planned, schedule a conversation with Dr. Sandler to discuss alternative options.
I have excellent insurance, so I usually had a $40 co-pay when I would go to RMA, but otherwise all of the procedures/blood work was covered. For the shots prior to the IUI, they were $60 each month (my insurance covered the bulk of it), and the medication Clomid/Letrozole varied between $5-$10 (my insurance covered most of it)
1 IUI, Donor Eggs
Very organized nurses and staff [at RMA of New York], polite front desk personnel. Waits could be very long. Educate yourself before your first visit...The nurses were very knowledgeable. Some were also caring, some were cold...We did not hear. Ack about bloodwork. Ordered repeat of bloodwork by accident. Did not give me a proper diagnosis. Did not advise on possible outcomes to procedure...Felt rushed through visits and had to be incredibly forceful to have a chance to ask questions. Did not feel he really wanted to answe my questions. Did not give us a thorough diagnosis or explain the process and possible setbacks that can happen during an IVF cycle.
1 IUI, Donor Eggs
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very organized nurses and staff, polite front desk personnel. Waits could be very long. Educate yourself before your first visit.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
The nurses were very knowledgeable. Some were also caring, some were cold.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of New York?
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Not a good listener; talks without pause so you have to interrupt to say or ask anything. Did not tell us I had diminished ovarian reserve until at least 6 months after treatment started. Because we were instead told nothing was wrong with either of us we delayed treatment. He never told me that there was a possibility anything could go wrong during my IVF cycle other than not getting pregnant after transfer, so I was shocked, confused and devastated when he cancelled my cycle because I did not produce eggs. This is after he told me when my retrieval date would be without ever saying it was contingent on the stimulating medication working. I never knew not getting to retrieval was a possibility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Ask a lot of questions. Find out as much as you can about treatments before seeing him. Take it upon yourself to get educated as he is very relaxed and doesn't seem to think need fertility help is as traumatic to patients as it can be.
Describe the protocols Lawrence Grunfeld used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Since I was ovulating on our initial visit, we opted to try IUI. When that didn't work he suggested not trying IUI again and do IVF. I was hesitant about all the medications, and since he said nothing was wrong with either one of us, we decided to try naturally for a few more months. When still no success we went back and that's when he said- by looking at the original bloodwork- that I had low ovation reserve. We were startled and decided to do IVF as soon as possible. I started meds and went for monitoring two times where he told me everything was good and when my retrieval would be, then on the third he said "nope nothing is happening" when I had an ultrasound. I asked what he meant and he said nothing is happening so the cycle is cancelled and sent me home. My husband scheduled a follow up as we were shocked and confused, and the dr was very casual said who know's why and we can try again without any suggestions for changing the process. So we left and decide to check into other doctors.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York.
I don't remember specifically but with treatment and medication comebine we probable spent about $1000 out of pocket (I have insurance)
Describe Lawrence Grunfeld's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
He said multiple isn't recommended.
Lawrence Grunfeld
Male Factor, Other
[RMA] Strengths: friendly and calm staff Weakness: It took a while for the RMA Urologist's Nurse to call me back with my husbands test results of why we were not conceiving. It could have been because my husband was their contact and not me, but we sorted that out and I got in touch with the urology team... Everyone I dealt with at RMA, in both the Brooklyn and Manhattan Office had a warm and friendly demeanor. I always felt comfortable asking questions and was grateful they were able to answer my questions easily and returned my calls usually within a couple hours.
Male Factor, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: friendly and calm staff Weakness: It took a while for the RMA Urologist's Nurse to call me back with my husbands test results of why we were not conceiving. It could have been because my husband was their contact and not me, but we sorted that out and I got in touch with the urology team. *Urologist is Natan Bar-Chama
Dr. Kudesia has a warm and friendly personality so it was easy to connect to her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Shannon Bruce)
How was your experience with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
Dr. Kudesia is just nice and explains things in a way like you are talking to a friend. I had a good feeling about her since out 1st consultation in June 2016. I only saw her a few times, since I have not started IVF yet, but she is my main doctor.
I don't think I have advice, I would just recommend her to others.
we started with RMA about a year and a half after trying unsuccessfully to conceive. Dr. Kudesia checked my egg count which is normal for my age and hand me let them know when I came started my period so they can start me on clomid and do blood work on the given days of my cycle. Since I just started they sent me to get an HSG exam. On day 12 I would come in and they would check to make sure I had at least 1 mature egg follicle and they would give me Ovadril. I did the HSG once and it came back normal as well as all the blood work they did. I did the clomid and Ovadril for 3 cycles, July-September 2016. I decided to stop until my husband was tested. He was tested in November and it turns out the issue is on his end.
My co-pay was normally $40. However the sperm extraction done by Dr. Natan Bar Chama was $6,500. IVF I have not started yet but it will probably be in the $20, 000 range including PGD and medications.
From what the doctor said, they only plan on putting in 1 embryo at a time.
Brooklyn
It's [RMANY] like a machine, somewhat well oiled, with the exception of their finance department which seems in a bit of disarray... I think all the nurses seemed competent. They provided clear instruction 95% of the time and would be willing to provide you with information if you asked..The monitoring hours are good...If you're expecting to talk to someone as a matter of course in your treatment, or to see the same person throughout your treatment, this is not the place for you.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This clinic sees a lot of patients. If your concern is efficiency and you don't require personalized attention or protocols then this place is fine. The monitoring hours are good. There are several locations so monitoring isn't so much a chore. They work with several pharmacies that offer good prices, some which will even deliver your meds to you. They get you in and out so you can get to work on time. If you're expecting to talk to someone as a matter of course in your treatment, or to see the same person throughout your treatment, this is not the place for you.
I think this is more a result of the clinic I visited than the doctor. I was recommended by my OBGYN to go to RMANY. RMA has great numbers, they see probably thousands of patients, they have a system set up to get you in and out the door, on a protocol, and processed. It's like a machine, somewhat well oiled, with the exception of their finance department which seems in a bit of disarray. I think being just another number is okay if the protocol works for you, and it does for many. I have a friend and also my OBGYN that have had success for RMA. Unfortunately this was not the case for me and I feel like I could have done with more specialized attention and personalized protocol.
I spoke with so many nurses here and the experience really varied dependent on who you spoke with. I think all the nurses seemed competent. They provided clear instruction 95% of the time and would be willing to provide you with information if you asked. They would not automatically provide you with information such as embryo grading, so you sort of need to know what to ask for. I get the impression that the clinic sees so many patients that they are just trying to manage their time.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
To be honest I didn't really feel like a patient of Dr. Mukherjee's. I saw/spoke with him only a hand of times and it was mainly to receive bad news, when a cycle failed. I do not feel like I developed a patient/doctor relationship with Dr. Mukherjee given the amount of time spent together and lack of personalized attention to my case. He is a nice person, very well experienced in the field, and he will answer questions if you have them but he (and RMA) seem to be very set on their standard mode of operations. I think Dr Mukherjee / RMA is fine if you fit into their standard protocol but not so if you need personalized attention.
Ask him how often you will see him, how he will determine your course of treatment, what will be the next steps if the current treatment fails, and then decide if it is going to be a good fit for your needs and expectations.
I went through 3 retrievals with Mukherjee. The first protocol he used was the antagonist protocol, which is surprising to me as I've read it is for poor responders or people with PCOS, of which I am neither. The second protocol was antagonist with estrogen priming. Those first 2 cycles resulted in no viable embryos for transfer. The third protocol was down regulation, which I've read is the place where most doctors start but he said is "old technology". I ended up with 1 viable embryo (which ultimately ended up in a chemical pregnancy). During the 9 month period I was under his care I probably saw or spoke to him 5 times. He likened the first 2 unsuccessful attempts to bad luck. After the 3rd unsuccessful cycle he's referred me to a reproductive immunologist since my infertility is still "unexplained". For this I am thankful because I feel like I might be able to find some answers. I think Dr Mukherjee and RMA is fine if you fit into their standard protocol but not so if you need personalized attention.
Approximately $9K for retrieval, $5K for transfer, $2K for PGD, $2K for PGD administrative fee, $750 for anesthesia, $5K for medications
The doctor told me that they do not transfer more than 1 embryo at a time but when I was waiting to have my transfer I heard him say to the couple next door that they were having 2 embryos transferred. If you undergo genetic testing they will always discourage you from transferring more than 1 embryo at a time.
NY - Westside
The nurse [at RMA of New York] was very prompt in calling me for every step of the treatment. However, her voicemails would sometimes contradict what she'd tell me on the phone. It's hard to keep track of the schedule so getting contradictory voicemails make it harder...I think the clinic is reputable so I have comfort in the level of care I'd receive. However, because the clinic is well-known in the area, I am one of many patients there so a new patient would not feel like she will receive individual attention and care that she deserves.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
When my first IUI failed, I was very anxious in finding out the reason for the treatment not to work. She didn't take the time to explain she just said sometimes there's no explanation. During my second treatment, I insisted on running tests to see if there are other issues with me since the second IUI also failed but she said nothing seems to be wrong. She didn't make any helpful suggestions to put me at ease about why my IUIs keep failing or what I should do as my next step. I felt that I was just one of the many "numbers" she had to get through for the day and she didn't take the time to explain to me what I can do to help my odds.
The nurse was very prompt in calling me for every step of the treatment. However, her voicemails would sometimes contradict what she'd tell me on the phone. It's hard to keep track of the schedule so getting contradictory voicemails make it harder.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Initially, Beth seemed sympathetic to my feeling of helplessness but as more treatments happened, she didn't take the time to explain to me why the treatments kept failing. I would've liked to spend more time understanding what we could do to find out if there are other underlying problems with me or my husband in order to better our odds. Maybe there's no way but at least we have explored some options but unfortunately we haven't had the chance to do so yet.
I would tell the prospective patient to ask a lot of questions upfront, esp. in case the first couple of treatments fail. I think the most time you'll get out of the doctor is upfront during the first consultation. After the first meeting, you are dealing with nurses and other doctors in the clinic who are not your primary doctor so it's harder to get the information you are looking for.
The overall strategy my doctors recommended was to start with IUIs and see if they'll work before I try any more intense treatments due to my age. However, the IUIs have not worked and I still haven't found out the underlying issues.
For the past two IUIs, I've paid more than $5K out of pocket to the clinic. That included medications, consultation and the actual procedures performed.
Not applicable as I've not tried eSET.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
[RMA of New York is a] well oiled machine but factory like in that theres a lot of people. I personally don't mind that it's like a factory because Dr. Flisser always makes an effort to see and treat his patients...Arielle is the best! She is compassionate and always makes herself available even when she is not actually working...Dr. Flisser gives out his email address and always responds within a day or two. He makes times to talk to you on the phone and candidly answers all questions.
1 IUI, 2 IVF, Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser is very smart and very honest. He is also open to hearing patient's concerns and is willing to think outside box. For example, although RMA doesn't really believe in immunology protocols, Dr. Flisser was supportive and still worked with me when I went to see one because he knew it was something I really wanted. Dr. Flisser is not only an amazing doctor but he is an amazing person. The night before my egg retrieval I realized I did not have the medicine for my trigger shot. Dr. Flisser drove to the office and to my apartment and hand delivered the medication to me. I have been to three RE's now and he is truly the best.
You're in good hands. Don't be afraid to ask questions and always be your own advocate
1 egg retrieval with ICSI, 6 embryos resulting all PGS tested. First frozen transfer resulted in chemical pregnancy. Second FET resulted in 7.5 week miscarriage followed by a D&C. Endometrial biopsy found endometritis and products of conception, needed a hysteroscopy. Third FET resulted in negative pregnancy test
My insurance covered my FET but not ICSI and not PGS testing
He is a proponent of single embryo transfers
Endometriosis, Unexplained
It's a large clinic [RMA - East Side], and it could get very busy in the mornings. While the wait could last up to 40 minutes, they were very efficient once they saw you. The ladies that did the blood draws were very warm and friendly. I would recomend arriving at the clinic right at 7 if you need to be at work before 9....the nurses always were very thorough when giving me the daily instructions and would email me with written instructions so I was never confused about how much medicine I needed to admister each day. They returned my calls promptly and usually responded to emails within a day.
Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It's a large clinic, and it could get very busy in the mornings. While the wait could last up to 40 minutes, they were very efficient once they saw you. The ladies that did the blood draws were very warm and friendly. I would recomend arriving at the clinic right at 7 if you need to be at work before 9. If you are more flexible with time, arriving closer to 8:30 always worked well for me. By then, most of the morning rush had cleared out.
After our first less-than-ideal egg retrieval, Dr. Copperman called us to discuss what went wrong and what we needed to change to improve our chances if we were to try again. He followed up a few days after we learned that all of our embryos had arrested to make sure we were doing okay. I really appreciated that he was concerned for our well-being.
The nurses always were very thorough when giving me the daily instructions and would email me with written instructions so I was never confused about how much medicine I needed to admister each day. They returned my calls promptly and usually responded to emails within a day.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman does things quickly. He talks fast, he moves through visits very quickly. It was a little dizzying the first visit, but you get used to the pace. Despite that, he always responds to my emails, usually with a phone call. I don't feel rushed when I'm with him, but he is efficient. He's not going to chat about the weather. I believe he listens to me and respects that I know a lot about my own body. I am still currently in treatment, so I can't say if he has helped us achieve our goals yet, but I feel confident that he will. Or he will at least do his very best.
Don't be afraid to ask questions, and to reach out if there's something you want to discuss. It's a big clinic, so it may feel like you aren't getting personal attention. But I always got responses to my calls or emails usually on the same day or the day after.
5 Eggs Frozen
RMA, at least the office in Madison Ave. is a very crowded place. Still I thought it was clean and extremely well organized. All RMA staff including doctors, nurses and assistants were all kind and extremely responsive to questions and requests of support....All nurses at RMA Madison Ave. branch were very helpful and clear in their guidance/instructions. I always though I was being a pain by asking them so many questions, but they all made me feel conformable by asking questions and requesting additional guidance.
5 Eggs Frozen
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA Madison Ave. branch is very crowded (especially during morning monitoring hours), but it is still clean and well organized. All staff from doctors, nurses, and assistants are kind and responsive to any request.
Although I saw the doctor briefly during treatment, he was kind, focused and answered all my questions and comments. I once called to his office to ask some follow up questions but he wasn't available at that specific moment. Less than two hours later he personally called me back to follow up on my questions.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
I had a positive experience with Dr. Mukherjee. Overall he is an experienced doctor and throughout my treatment he was kind and clear when he communicated information to me. He answered all my questions and doubts. It is important to note that Dr. Mukherjee is part of the RMA practice, so at the end you don't see/talk to your doctor often, as you also interact with other doctors from the practice. So expect not to have your own doctor present at all ultrasounds checkups /retrieval procedure. Also note that RMA, at least the office in Madison Ave. is a very crowded place. Still I thought it was clean and extremely well organized. All RMA staff including doctors, nurses and assistants were all kind and extremely responsive to questions and requests of support.
It is important to be proactive throughout your treatment and engage the doctor as much as possible. Dr. Mukherjee will answer your questions and doubts, so make sure that you ask all questions you have and that you effectively communicate specific issues that aren't fully clear/or that you would like to learn more about.
I followed an antagonist protocol. Retrieved 9 eggs and froze 5.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Morning monitoring hours are from 7 to 8:30am, so it allowed me to go there and then head to work, which I thought was very convenient. On average I waited 20-25 minutes to get called, and was done in an average of 15-20 minutes for both ultrasound and blood work.
US$9000 for egg freezing treatment, plus US$6000 of medicine (medicine was covered by my insurance).
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
[RMA] Strengths: big, well run organization; great stats; excellent care. Weaknesses: it's huge and so can feel like a factory. Sometimes the waits for monitoring on weekends can be obscene....[Nursing staff] Alissa was great -- very organized, compassionate, and human. Same for Robin and other nurses, very clear communicators. I did have a prior coordinator who was not great and I asked to switch and was switched without a problem.I usually did monitoring in Brooklyn and it was reasonable. The Madison Ave office could be a "cattle call" and on a couple of occasions when I didn't come at the very beginning (i.e., 7am), I had to endure very long waits....
Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Dr. Mukherjee seemed to grieve with me when I experienced losses and cheer us on as we tried again. He knew our personal situation and inquired appropriately; he made great efforts to help us negotiate IVF process financially as we were out of pocket. He's a lovely man who seems to genuinely care for patients.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Alissa (coordinator) and Robin (nurse))
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
He's a great, smart doctor with a lot of experience. If he's not pushed, he will tell you what he thinks and move on. But if you have questions, concerns, alternative treatment protocols, he will give them serious consideration, discuss with you and follow ultimately what you want to do (assuming it is medically sound). I suppose he would be great for a very passive patient (i.e., one who wants a doctor who sets the course without much input) or a very active one. For middle of the road types who want a bit more but don't ask for it, he may not be the right choice.
Be proactive but trust his judgment!
Gonal F + menopur with estrogen priming Lupron microdose flare
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Out of pocket cycle was about $18k plus meds. I ultimately got a discount (repeat customer here!) to $12,500.
Mukherjee is very pro-PGD (as are we -- I'm 42) and so we never discussed transferring more than one healthy embryo at a time.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
My primary nurse [at RMA] was appalling. Never picked up the phone, voice was always monotone and answers seemed almost scripted. Other nurses I saw during monitoring or happened to be connected to on the phone were much better...Finance department was not great. Not responsive unless they were calling you for payment. Inflexible and not informed / empowered to deal with non-standard requests. Monitoring was efficient and well run.
Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Finance department was not great. Not responsive unless they were calling you for payment. Inflexible and not informed / empowered to deal with non-standard requests. Monitoring was efficient and well run. The old ladies who do bloods at RMANY east clinic are amazing - barely felt anything! I prayed one of the two ladies called my name! Cycle coordinators: briefly dealt with One (Dr Mukherjee’s) who was super organised and communicative. I wish she had kept my case. But I changed Drs after one consult (incidentally, the transfer was smooth) and Dr Copperman’s cycle coordinator was not organised, not a good communicator and not very responsive.
The good and not so good: Not so good: During monitoring sessions, the interaction with Dr Copperman was brief but he aligned my monitoring days to his rostered days so I was able to see him. I only figured this out towards the end of my retrieval cycle - I would not have gone to RMANY west for monitoring if I had known this from the start. He didn’t really address my questions well during the monitoring sessions. The good/great: Twice, I wrote an email to Dr Copperman with some late night anxieties / questions. One was on Thanksgiving Day. On both occasions, he wrote back same day, answering my questions without making me feel like I was hassling him or asking stupid questions. I was surprised to find out that you may not necessarily get your Dr for your retrieval / transfer procedures - that it just depended on whose day your procedures happened to fall. This was not the case at the other clinics (in LA and Australia) where the default was your Dr would operate unless they were on leave. I made a request to the clinic and directly to dr Copperman and both times, he said he would do his best to move things around and both times, he turned up!! For my retrieval, I’m pretty sure he really did move his schedule as they told me that I had another Dr while I was in the waiting room ... and then dr Copperman showed up! His operating bedside manner was great - positive, empathetic, focused. In summary, not every in-person interaction with Dr Copperman is consistent but it was always great when it really counted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jordyn Banks)
My primary nurse was appalling. Never picked up the phone, voice was always monotone and answers seemed almost scripted. Other nurses I saw during monitoring or happened to be connected to on the phone were much better - much more informative, compassionate, patient, responsive. It’s a shame that my primary nurse was so unhelpful - a better nurse could’ve answered my questions more directly, prevented my anxieties and me reaching out to Dr Copperman.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
See previous comment and below. Dr Copperman was brilliant where and when it counted. I think he assumed certain knowledge - perhaps because he knows I had been through multiple cycles in the past or perhaps because his nursing team should have briefed me - certain things weren’t explained very well to me and caused me days of anxiety needlessly. This may be a comment more appropriate for the clinic...?
Ask all your questions at your initial consult or email him directly if you aren’t getting the answers from the nursing team or from him during monitoring sessions. Appeal and request his attendance at procedures directly to Dr Copperman and also have the nursing team note he request so it’s in the system as well.
Retrieval stim: gonal-f, luprolide, menopur Trigger shot: ovidrel Transfer: estradiol, progesterone shots.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Always busy but if you get there for the start of monitoring hours, I was out within 30minutes. East was quicker than west side clinic. If you want to see a nurse, that can take a while to wait. Otherwise, bloods and US were quick.
Dr. Copperman recommended a single transfer with chromosome testing. In the end we only had one good tested embryo to transfer anyway.
2013 - 2017
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
At RMA you see whatever dr. is rounding on the days that you visit. I had good experiences with all the doctors. The nurses were also helpful. I've had some difficulties dealing with the financial team in terms of responsiveness, but nothing that would push me to not work with RMA again in the future....All in, for IVF (w/ICSI) and PGS, I think the cost was around $15,000 out of pocket.
2013 - 2017
2 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I always felt "like a human" with Dr. Flisser himself. I don't know if it's RMA or just the process, but with so many visits to take blood and for monitoring, sometimes that part of the experience can feel a little like a factory and "a number".
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
I've worked with Dr. Flisser twice, once to freeze eggs when I was 35 and more recently with my husband when we had trouble conceiving on our own. We went through 2 IVF (w/ICSI) cycles with Dr. Flisser and for both decided to do PGS as well. We're now due with a baby boy in a couple of months. I know others who have had infertility challenges and one thing I like most about Dr. Flisser's approach is that he covers all the bases up front. In other words, we did IVF (w/ICSI) with PGS on our first cycle rather than trying IUI and then the next time trying IVF and then the next time trying IVF with PGS which is what some friends who worked with other clinics/doctors experienced. I also liked that Dr. Flisser performed complete testing up front so that we knew everything we may be challenged with early and could address early. Dr. Flisser's demeanor is pretty direct and to the point, which I really liked because I wasn't given false promises or hope, just the facts in what was already an emotional time. I would recommend Dr. Flisser over and over again and plan to work with him again in a few years when we're ready for baby number 2.
Ask questions. He'll answer them all.
IVF with ICSI for male inftertility PGS
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours are set in the morning and there are quite a few people there. It was nothing that really bothered me though -- just kind of felt like part of the process.
All in, for IVF (w/ICSI) and PGS, I think the cost was around $15,000 out of pocket. Insurance covered some of this for us and I know RMA takes some insurance, just not ours.
Dr. Flisser's approach for us, was eSET.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
I've been to 3 [RMA] locations (Westside, Soho, and Madison Ave) and all have been clean and organized which are the first things I look for. The staff is amazing at all 3 locations. The wait is usually between 30 mins - an hour but it goes fast considering how many people they see...The nursing team and IVF coordinator are amazing. They're super sweet and responsive. You deal more with them then your doctor since you see whichever doctor is on rotation during monitoring but your specific doctor will review your results and have the nurses call you.
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I've been to 3 locations (Westside, Soho, and Madison Ave) and all have been clean and organized which are the first things I look for. The staff is amazing at all 3 locations. The wait is usually between 30 mins - an hour but it goes fast considering how many people they see.
He answered any and all questions, was available for phone calls if I had concerns. Made sure I understood the procedure and all possible outcomes.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
He's very blunt which I prefer. I don't need a doctor who's going to hold my hand but rather give me the good, bad, and ugly straight up. You don't always see him during monitoring hours because the doctors rotate and I preferred to go to a more convenient location which was closer to my office.
If you want someone who's going to coddle you, he's not for you.
Since we had unexplained infertility, he suggested doing Clomid and HcG first. We need 3 rounds of that with no success. We then moved onto IUI, 2 of those and both were negative. Our last resort was IVF. I was on Gonal F, Menupor, HcG, and one other medication I can't remember for roughly 12 days. They increased my dosage of Menopur only once to get a better response and bigger follicles. I was monitored every other day or so to make sure my ovaries didn't become too large. We retrieved 11 eggs out of which 2 were sent for biopsy and came back prefect. For the transfer cycle I was put on estrogen and progesterone. I opted to take the oral and vaginal progesterone as the progesterone in oil is done with a very large needle intramuscular in your backside. I hate needles so I was very grateful for the second option.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was first come, first serve. Hours vary by office. Wait was typically 30 mins to an hour for the entire process (bloodwork and ultrasound) but it went fast with the amount of people they see.
I was worried that transferring only 1 embryo wouldn't result in a positive outcome but Dr. Stein assured us that our chances were the same and if we transferred both then we'd possibly end up with triplets or quadruplets. Also, I've read that transferred multiple can interfere with implantation. We did only 1 and kept the other frozen with positive results.
NY - Westside
[RMA] Strengths: They get results, efficient, and have enough staff to handle lots of patients. They are quick with giving you results, and open 364 days a year. Weaknesses: Some of less experienced folks struggle with taking your blood. Expect to wait 15-20 minutes each time due to the high volume....Dr. Flisser's nurse Ariel was fantastic. Always responded / returned calls promptly, and addressed all of our concerns. It can sometimes be hard to get a hold of a nurse when they are having a busy day or on weekends.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is busy, and runs very efficiently. Waiting during monitoring visits can make you feel like a number, but once you are with Dr. Flisser, he answers all questions, and does not seem rushed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Ariel )
Dr. Flisser's nurse Ariel was fantastic. Always responded / returned calls promptly, and addressed all of our concerns. It can sometimes be hard to get a hold of a nurse when they are having a busy day or on weekends. But overall we didnt have a question that went more than a day unanswered.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser got us the results we wanted - a perfectly healthy pregnancy. He was very honest and candid about the best treatment options. Even when we didn't get to see him, we felt confident he was monitoring our case, and dictating our treatment. He was always friendly, professional, and clear.
He's busy, and has lots of patients. Don't expect him to hold your hand or give you emotional comfort. But if you want results, he is the one to go to. I trust him and his medical opinion completely.
We did an IUI cycle w/ clomid. Pregnancy on first try, but ended in miscarriage. We went to IVF after that with gonal-F, menapur, garilanyx, and this resulted in a successful egg retrieval. We opted to do PGS testing, and ended up with 11 healthy embryos. We did an e-set frozen embryo transfer that resulted in healthy pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was efficient, but busy and wait times were never more than 20 minutes.
Insurance covered almost all of it. Very little out of pocket costs - $40 an ultrasound, and $2000 for genetic testing but that was optional.
We didn't discuss. Dr Flisser recommended eSET from the start, and we went with that.
None, Other
[RMA - West Side] Convenient location. Relatively short waiting time....[Nurse] Loved working with Krista! She's kind, warm and full of compassion. She knows the work well. She took time when answering our questions and feels happy for our results....Dr. Stein is very scientific and accurate and won't hide anything if he feels so. He reacts quick to test results he sees. This might be the right way to do it although sometimes it could give us some mental stress. In the end it turned out that he did the right thing and made right decisions.
Investment Banker
None, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Convenient location. Relatively short waiting time.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
First off, our background might be a piece of cake for Dr Stein. We are both just over 30 trying for a year. My hubby has very active spern counts. I am skinny but all good otherwise. Dr. Stein is quick and sharp. He pointed out my weight is the problem and how human body is smart to know when is safe to get pregnant and asked us to comeback for him when we are ready to be parents. We came 6mo later and one negative preganancy test on clomed and natural intimacy and one IUI which we succeeded and now I am 9 weeks in. Dr. Stein is very scientific and accurate and won't hide anything if he feels so. He reacts quick to test results he sees. This might be the right way to do it although sometimes it could give us some mental stress. In the end it turned out that he did the right thing and made right decisions. He has good humor too and always said willing to give me some fat from him which made me laugh. Anyways overall good experience with Dr. Stein and hope all the best with our first one!
Trust him
NY - Westside
Strengths-efficient and easy to make apnts. Weeknesses- require an insane anount of paperwork every single time. Wish it coukd be used for life and not sign every time we have a procedure done...The nursisng staff at RMA is ok. There are some absolutely wonderful nurses there and a few that need to work on organization. All are pleasant and have great bedside manner...One piece of advice is have your questions ready. He is willing to answer everything truthfully and take the time to spend with you. If you dont have anything to ask dont expect him to sit with you for hours. However take advantage of emailing him. Sometimes I have forgotten to ask something and shoot him a quick email and he ALWAYS responds.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
Dr Jeffrey klein made my husband and I feel like humans rather than a number. He takes as much time as you need to talk at every apnt even if it is just a quick monitoring. I also love that 24/7 you can email him directly and he ALWAYS responds within minutes.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
Jeffrey klein is a wonderful doctor with excellent bedside manner. He takes his time with every patient and never makes you feel like a number. I have yet to have success with a frozen embryo transfer at RMA but I do not believe it is Dr Kleins fault. He has talked me through every step and answers my emails 24/7(when does he sleep haha). Overall a wonderful doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Klein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
IVF with ICSI Follostim Menopur Ganirelix lupron and hcg dual trigger 10 days of shots and retrieved 23 eggs 8 made it to day 5,biopsied and sent for pgs/pgd testing. 5 came back normal not affected by cystic fibrosis or any chromosonal issues. First FET-failed Second FET-chemical pregnancy Starting second round of IVF now. Same protocol. Note: we had to freeze my eggs and fertilize them 3 months later due to sperm issues so we lost a good amount of eggs in that process.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It is first come first serve but they move very quickly. Monitoring hours are from 7:30-9:30 and between 8:30-9:30 it is slow and you walk in and out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York.
Biopsy fees are $2000 out of pocket. PGS and PGD is all out of pocket and done through an outside lab. We payed over $10,000! Insurance covers my ivf but only until a certain amount.
Describe Jeffrey Klein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
My dr will only transfer more than 1 embryo if you are over 35 years old or have had multiple misscarriages and not tested your embryos. Inoriginally wanted to transfer 2 but he took the time to discuss all the risks involved and it all made a lot of sense.
6 IUI, 6 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
They [the costs at RMA of New York] were very competitive and I felt like I was paying the right amount, I wasn't being over charged and I knew what to expect up front...Everything from the front desk, to the lab, nurses and doctors were amazing. I always felt like they knew who I was, was met with a smile and encouraging words and support...Jordyn was an amazing nurse!! She was always available to answer any question, was through, warm, friendly and compassionate. I loved working with her and still keep in touch with her! A+mazing.
6 IUI, 6 IVF, 3 Egg Freezing
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA as a whole was incredible. Everything from the front desk, to the lab, nurses and doctors were amazing. I always felt like they knew who I was, was met with a smile and encouraging words and support.
From the moment we walked into RMA we were treated SO well. We had been through 3 different doctors and other clinics and at 42 I was at my last attempt to try to get pregnant and needed a doctor who could give me an honest, realistic assessment of our chances. Dr Copperman immediately took the time to get to know us, who we were, and what we had been going through. He educated us, gave us an honest assessment of our chances and made us feel like real partners with him on our pregnancy journey.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr Copperman is amazing. Truly the best. I feel like I can give a very fair accurate assessment of him because I can compare him to 3 other doctors I did IVF treatments with as well as many others I did consultations with. Dr Copperman took the time to really get to know us and understand everything we had been trying before him to get pregnant. He thoroughly explained his approach and showed us the science and data behind our chances based on our stats which I found very helpful. He was so incredibly warm, supportive but also informed and incredibly knowledgeable. He was with us every step of the way, always available to me by phone or e-mail and ensured that we knew what was coming, he was there for all of my procedures, retrieval and transfer. I truly felt like he partners with us and wanted this for us just as much as we did. I continue to stay in touch with Dr. Copperman, my beautiful daughter has met him and I knew his joy to meet one of his babies and hold her in his arms!
Go see him today! Don't wait. I truly believe he is the best IVF doctor and has the best lab, clinic and team.
I don't recall the details but I did a fairly aggressive protocol in terms of the dose of medication, I had one retrieval and I did PGS on the embryos. I then did a frozen transfer of the PGS day 5 tested embryo which resulted in a positive pregnancy and a healthy baby girl
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The monitoring appointments were very smooth and quick. They have monitoring hours but its w ell oiled machine and the wait wasn't very long. Much better than other places in the city.
They were very competitive and I felt like I was paying the right amount, I wasn't being over charged and I knew what to expect up front.
My doctor said I really needed to do PGS to test my embryos primarily due to my age and it being the best safest way to proceed. I only had one healthy embryo so that's all we transferred and discussed given the circumstance.
2012 - 2016
Other, Unexplained
[RMA is] Very big and I didn’t like going into the city on the weekends. I would have also liked 6:30am blood draws because as a teacher we have to be at work extra early. The city team was differently organized and they had a more business like mindset.... Audrey the blood tech was amazing and so sweet. Loved her! Martha was efficient and to the point.
2012 - 2016
Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Human but I did feel that at times he forgot my name, case.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
I had a mixed experience. I was a patient of Stangel (whom i did 4 IUI’s and 1 IVF resulting in 1 love birth and 1 vanishing twin) whom retired, so I was given to Klein as a result. I liked him but i felt different than I felt with Stangel. He was great with email and when I asked him to do my IUI with injections he didn’t want to but after convincing him that I knew the risks, he did it and that gave me my second son 😊
Know your body and what you need.
We did an ivf with PGD after my last two FETs resulted in miscarriages. I was told that I started to ovulate early and they only got 9 eggs, 2 worth while. They transferred an AA grade embryo and it failed they think due to ashermans. I was angry that he didn’t have me repeat an HSG beforehand so I had one afterword and they saw the scar tissue. I asked him to do an IUI because I had extra injectables and he reluctantly did it with my next hysteroscopy scheduled and it actually worked resulting in my second son.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
First come first serve and because I had to be at work early I would arrive 45 minutes early to secure my #1 spot on line.
It was over $15K for ivf with PGD
No. I wish I had transferred them both.
Westchester
This is a factory setting clinic [RMA]. There is often very long waits during monitoring. Do not expect to see your doctor during monitoring visits. The doctors were all pleasant overall but I prefer seeing my own doctor throughout this process which was impossible. You also need to be on top of you test results..etc because they forget to call you... During my miscarriage I was having intense labor like pain. The nurse said she would call in a stronger pain killer and failed to do so.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This is a factory setting clinic. There is often very long waits during monitoring. Do not expect to see your doctor during monitoring visits. The doctors were all pleasant overall but I prefer seeing my own doctor throughout this process which was impossible. You also need to be on top of you test results..etc because they forget to call you.
I felt like a number because this Dr. only seemed to show compassion when it came to deciding to do my IVF with him. He was not willing to listen to my ideas of things to do differently this round since I had 2 failed IVFs prior to him. He seemed stubborn on his ways to repeat the same medications like my previous IVFs just at a lower dose. I did get pregnant but my baby stopped growing at 5 1/2 weeks. He had to induce a miscarriage using cytomel and it was pretty traumatizing. When I asked why did this PGD normal embryo stop growing he answered " you are just unlucky". I will NEVER forget that.
Some nurses were really nice. Jordan was the most compassionate nurse when delivering news on the phone. Leyla was the complete opposite and made me cry even more because of how she delivered sensitive information. She was very cold and uncaring.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
When I met this dr he was very nice and looked into my eyes saying " I will get you pregnant." This doctor is pretty set in his ways and is not open to patient suggestions. Ive had several failed IVFS prior to seeing him so I knew what to expect. I have a tendency to make many eggs and embryos and they all arrest. He basically did the same IVF stim cycle as my previous dr and just lowered the medication dose a bit. He did not take my MTHFR seriously and said I do not need to take baby aspirin or lovenox. I ended up getting 2 poor quality but PGD tested normal embryos with him. They only made it to blast on day 6 and 7. He only let me transfer one and it stuck! I had to ask him to check my thyroid levels which he neglected to check and they were high! I had to start medication immediately since I was currently pregnant but it takes over a month for the medication to work. I ended up miscarrying. My progesterone levels were on the lower side and he didn't seem to care. He never called to apologize about my miscarriage which I found hurtful. I felt like I slid between the cracks because I look young and he probably figured it would be an easy cycle. I will never forget when I asked him why I miscarried a normal embryo and he answered " you are just unlucky".
To be your own advocate because he does not look at everything and important testing numbers get neglected.
We used Gonal F 150 mg, menopur, ganirelix and a HCG/Lupron dual trigger to avoid hyperstimulation. I ended up with 22 eggs, 13 mature, 2 made it to blast but only on day 6 and 7. They were biopsied and PGD tested and then were frozen. I did a FET that following month which resulted in an unexplained miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
RMA had a few locations throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan where you can do monitoring. The Manhattan offices were like a cattle call. I once was in the waiting room for almost 2 hours! the Brooklyn office is a little less of a wait because its a smaller office.
My IVF was not covered by insurance so the medications, egg retrieval, PGD testing, and FET was around $25,000.
My dr. strongly suggested transferring only 1 embryo because it was PGD tested normal. I had 2 embryos that were poor quality but both PGD normal and he refused to transfer both. I ended up miscarrying one. I have not transferred the other yet.
NY - Eastside
There were on occasion very long waits but I don't blame the clinic [RMA] for that. I think they moved people in and out as efficiently as possible...The nursing staff is overall very responsive and very nice. I have no complaints about them...I'd say on balance, I felt more like a number. The cycle process itself is very "cattle-cally" with little time spent with the patient. This did not bother me so much because I understand they have to see a lot of patients, and it is very much a "numbers" game.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths are experience, organization, coordination. Weaknesses are that it can feel a bit impersonal.
I'd say on balance, I felt more like a number. The cycle process itself is very "cattle-cally" with little time spent with the patient. This did not bother me so much because I understand they have to see a lot of patients, and it is very much a "numbers" game. When I miscarried my genetically-tested embryo, I felt I could have used a little more sympathy and care from Dr. Grunfeld. He said he was "sorry" and knew it was "disappointing" but at my follow up appointment (after the miscarriage and after the second failed cycle) was all about statistics and why I should keep going, with little thought to what I had been through.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
I think Dr. Grunfeld is a good "doctor" and by that, I mean a scientist. I think he "knows his stuff" and is generally a decent person. My chief complaint is that he was way too overly optimistic when I first started and, as a consequence, I was extremely shocked by what happened and where I am now. When I went to see him about IVF, he made it seem like a fait-accompli that I would have a baby. And it all went well -- until it didn't. I had one embryo from my first round that genetically tested normal and implanted. I miscarried it, and it turned out the fetus had Down's Syndrome. Dr. Grunfeld never communicated to me that PGS was not 100% (I am sure I signed something that said I know). I would have appreciated a little more caution from him and a little more sympathy. When I went in for my follow up appointment, he didn't remember that the fetus had Down's and was not prepared. This was upsetting. He also urged me to another round which I did. I got 10 eggs but no PGS-normal embryos. When I went to see him for my next follow-up appointment, he told me to keep going but I could not at that point as my insurance had run out. I then did an IUI where I really felt like an afterthought to him and the clinic. Overall, it was a disappointing experience though I don't really blame Dr. Grunfeld.
Be careful if he is overly optimistic. IVF is not a fail-safe. Dr. Grunfeld will make it seem like it is.
I had the same protocol for both cycles. Gonal-F (c. 150), Menopur (between 2-3 vials), then the trigger. Dr. Grunfeld made no adjustments in between cycles which I understand. Both cycles produced a good amount of eggs -- it was just an egg quality issue given my age.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
There were on occasion very long waits but I don't blame the clinic for that. I think they moved people in and out as efficiently as possible.
My insurance covered most of it though I had to $1,000 per cycle for shipping of the embryos, $750 per cycle for anastheisa, and $3,000 for genetic testing of up to 10 embryos.
Lawrence Grunfeld
NY - Eastside
I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic [RMA of New York] is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coo
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I am currently 20 weeks pregnant from my one and only IVF transfer with RMA. Our issue was male factor infertility. We were lucky to get pregnant on the first try. I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coordinator directly most of the time. There are periods of intense communication and frequent visits and they all went smoothly. RMA is a very big operation and I did have to go to the midtown office several times for any weekend check ups, retrieval and transfer. Things were fine there though it's much more busy and less comfy as a patient. Overall, our experience was overwhelmingly positive and drama free, perhaps because it was brief and free of complications. However, should we decide to do another embryo transfer, I would certainly go back to RMA again.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Communication with the office was very convenient. I was assigned a coordinator who helped implement the doctor's treatment plan and was easily available by email (and phone if I needed it). Plus, I got to see my doctor every time I was there and she knew us and our case well. I never felt 'lost' in their system.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Felix)
Overall, very easy to get in touch with as I had several questions along the way. Email was best for me and them. Phone calls were fine, too, sometimes had to wait for a call back, obviously.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She was professional, kind and ultimately got the job done! I think her only weakness is that she seems young and my husband and I sometimes found her manner of speech to be a bit millenial-esque. But that's being very nit-picky!
Describe the protocols Kimberley Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol - retrieval (Gonal F 150IU sub Q daily; Menopur 2 vials sub Q daily; Ganirelix 1 PFS sub Q daily; Trigger: leuprolide, 40IU Sub Q once when directed plus 1 x 1,000IU of Novarel hCG; Azithromycin Two x 500mg for husband) Transfer: Estrace 1 x 2mg tablets up to 3x daily at times, Progesterone in Oil up to 2 ccs injected intramuscularly at times, Medrol 1 tab PO QD x 7 days; Two x 500mg Azithromycin) I can't say I remember what the rationale was for using this protocol, I assumed I just got 'the usual.' Results: retrieved 11 eggs, nine survived overnight, eight embryos survived after five days and four were free of genetic defects after PGS.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
As mentioned, this office is small, I could be the first person seen if I got there by 7:15 (they open the doors at 7:30). Things ran quickly and smoothly. Never really got very crowded.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York.
I had to pay 25% of care with insurance covering 75% (about $1,500 out of pocket). We also opted for PGS, $2,000 to RMA and $2,000 to laboratory. Caveat: I believe some insurance charges are still pending so...hopefully this is still true in a few months!
Kimberley Thornton
NY - Downtown
[RMA - East Side] Strengths: Lots of great doctors, great results, knowledgeable staff, helpful with understanding benefits and helping to obtain discounts. Weaknesses: Won't baby you (I don't think this is necessarily a weakness), there are a lot of women there so morning monitoring can definitely feel like a factory...First come, first served, from 7--830. There were always tons of women there, but only a couple instances where it wasn't moving efficiently enough...
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic saw a lot of patients, and I always felt like Dr. Sandler had to look at a file to remember my name. But I also felt that the staff upon retrieval and transfer were so kind and helpful, which I believe is when it really mattered most.
I called numerous times with questions and the nurses were always helpful or quick to return my call.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler was mostly straightforward during my treatment. I did feel that there were times he overexplained things and didn't focus on the details I wanted to hear. However he answered all of my questions as they arose, and I did feel confident he had my best interest in mind. My treatments were a success with Dr. Sandler, and after 2 rounds of IUI and 2 rounds of full IVF, I am currently 18 weeks pregnant.
You will not be handheld, and you may have to ask for specifics at some points, but feel confident that he will get the job done.
We started with 2 IUI rounds on clomid. After no success, my FSH rose to 16 and Dr. Sandler explained it was time to move to IVF and be aggressive. First IVF cycle was the antagonist protocol and I retrieved 8 eggs, 4 were mature, and 3 fertilized. 2 made it to Day 5 and both were transferred, but they appeared to be of abnormal quality. I had a chemical positive that progressed no further. Second IVF cycle, I used the Lupron flare protocol. Dr. Sandler believed that I may have egg quality issues, so I took DHEA supplements on my own after asking him about it for 3.5 months first. Then I started the flare protocol, but only retrieved 5 eggs, and produced 1 embryo. However, that embryo was the "most beautiful embryo the clinic had seen all week" and they thought it to be of high quality. I am currently 18 weeks pregnant with a healthy baby girl.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Fortunately, insurance helped out greatly with my expenses. I still paid several thousand dollars out of pocket (maybe $10K).
European, Native American, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Pros: The ladies at the front desk are very nice and friendly, as are all the nurses during monitoring hours. The clinic is very organized considering the volume of people coming through there everyday. They always called when they said they would with instructions for the next day and followed up with an email with the exact instructions. The nurses were very available for questions. You'd have to leave a message with the front desk, but a nurse would call you back, even after hours. Cons: There are a LOT of patients in and out each day. The waiting time for monitoring hours can be long. If you arrive a few minutes before they open at 7am, that's your best bet for a short wait time.
I didn't see him much, but when I did, he appeared to remember me and took interest in my progress.
The nursing staff at the monitoring sessions were all very caring and pleasant. The nurses that would call with instructions or answer questions were very organized and prompt.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Eric has a fairly laid back attitude, but he is willing to sit and answer as many questions as you have. When I did see him, he was patient and thorough in his explanations. He is thorough when asked questions, but does not proactively provide a lot of information. It was my first time doing any fertility treatment, so more information regarding expectations and how I was progressing along the way would've been helpful. But if you know what to expect and what questions to ask, you should be ok. I only saw Dr. Flisser a couple of times...during my first consultation, on day one of my cycle for monitoring and maybe twice more quickly for monitoring. A different doctor did my retrieval, whom I had never met, based on the day my retrieval fell and their schedules for doing retrievals. Overall, I think Flisser is a nice guy and is smart/very knowledgeable about fertility treatments. I didn't get the feeling he was paying close attention to my treatment and was invested in my outcome (even if he was, I didn't get that feeling). The communication and follow up with the doctor wasn’t great post cycle. My cycle was unsuccessful and I had questions about options for another cycle and I had to follow up several times to get answers.
Ask a lot of questions. You have to be proactive to get information. Know that you may not have him for your retrieval. This is more a statement of the clinic though because each doctor is scheduled to do retrievals on a certain day.
First 5 days: 300 IU of Gonal/F every day ( in the morning ) 2 amps of Menopur ( in the evening ) Last 5 days 300 IU of Gonal/F ( in the morning ) 3 amps of Menopur ( in the evening ) 250 mcg of Cetrotide (in the evening) Trigger shots night before retrieval: 40 units of LupT 1000 IU of hCG
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The monitoring hours are from 7am-9am, but the waiting room gets very full and the wait times can be very long. The best time to go is first thing in the morning and be there when they open at 7am. Each time I did this, I never waited more than 10 minutes. However, the waiting does have WiFi, which is nice.
Approx $18K
NY - Eastside
My only minor complaint about this clinic [RMA - White Plains] is that the major procedures have to be done in New York City. I initially picked the clinic because of its location. I also would have preferred that my doctor personally do my egg retrieval and transfer, but I know that's probably not realistic. I will mention that any time I was seen by another doctor, mine always followed up almost immediately with a personal phone call...
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
My only minor complaint about this clinic is that the major procedures have to be done in New York City. I initially picked the clinic because of its location. I also would have preferred that my doctor personally do my egg retrieval and transfer, but I know that's probably not realistic. I will mention that any time I was seen by another doctor, mine always followed up almost immediately with a personal phone call.
He was very friendly and always took extra time to answer my questions and involve me in my treatment. He also is very easy to get in touch with.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Everyone was wonderful. I felt the staff really knew who I was without looking Up my chart. For example, I need a note for work if I am going to be late because of a doctor appointment, and the nurses knew without me even having to ask eventually. It was nice to feel a relationship and geniuine caring.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
I like the Dr. Klein is so easy to reach. He always answers my emails right away, and I feel like he knows who I am as a patient of his. Not just someone whose chart he has to check before each visit. On the rare ocassion I had to see another doctor, Dr. Klein always called me himself to check up on me, go over results.
Don't be embarrassed to ask questions, because he is always willing to answer and explain.
Formy two IUI cycles I used 100mg of clomid on days 2-6 with the IUI on day 14. Neither resulted in pregnancy, but we have male factor infertility so we almost expected they wouldn't. For my IVF cycle I did an antagonist protocol with 225 of Gonal-f and starting with 150 of menopur all the way up to 300 of menopur for 8 days. The last 3 days I added .25 of cetrotide. I did a double Lupron and HCG trigger shot on day 9 and had my egg retrieval on day 11. They retrieved 10 eggs, 7 of which fertilized with ICSI. I am scheduled for a fresh transfer on day 16.
My IVF was covered by insurance but there was a $1500 co-payment, $750 for the anesthesia and then the medicines had various co-payments. Almost all of them were covered and the ones that weren't didn't exceed $150. I didn't pay a co-payment per visit each time I saw the doctor. I had a a few small ($20 maybe) fees for blood work when I began all of my testing.
Westchester
[RMA - West Side] Strengths: Convenient location (for us), Work with our insurance (Progyny), well organized, mature setup across reception, billing, morning monitoring, IVF coordination and nursing care. Weaknesses - I cant really think of one...Morning monitoring at RMA is a smooth affair. Can sometimes take about an hour, but time it right (e.g. arrive early or late) and you can be in and out within 20 minutes. The folks doing the blood work are especially amazing. We have a thin vein problem and the lab folks were always smiling reassuring, patient...
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Dr. Stein always knew every detail of our treatment, we saw him regularly as he did our morning monitoring most of the time. Never once did we have to remind him or fill in some gap of knowledge of our history with him (Happen one too many times - scarily - with the previous doctor we saw)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
- the RMA team is kick ass. The IVF coordinator and nurse are available over email, and over phone and never take more than a couple of hours to return a call. Everything detail is organized and communicated in full detail. - Morning monitoring at RMA is a smooth affair. Can sometimes take about an hour, but time it right (e.g. arrive early or late) and you can be in and out within 20 minutes. The folks doing the blood work are especially amazing. We have a thin vein problem and the lab folks were always smiling reassuring, patient
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Its hard to point out any flaw with the care we received from Dr. Stein and the entire RMA team. - Dr. Stein is actively involved - from sales-pitching the practice to you on your first meeting, most morning monitoring, determining, tweaking, explaining the protocols, in close contact during the retrieval process and personally performing the implantation procedure. He even helped match us up with the right OBGYN upon release, based on where we live and our history.
Please seriously consider Dr. Stein (as long as insurance and location works out for you) - you will be in good hands,
IVF cycle 1: Resulted in no embryos that passed PGS. Antagonist protocol that yielded 9 eggs and 2 made it to day 5. IVF cycle 2: Resulted in a pregnancy (currently at week 10). Was a modified lupron flare protocol. Yielded 11 eggs, 2 made it to day 5, one passed PGS and implanted successfully.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
RMA is fully covered at zero cost under our insurance plan - Progyny. We had zero bills to handle, zero co-pays to worry about.
NY - Westside
They [the staff at RMA of New York] also were very organized and never missed calling me with my instructions, which was an unfounded paranoia of mine. Rma is more impersonal because you rotate doctors and there are so many patients, but it seemed to me that they have a system that works. I think if you arrive later in the window of hours for monitoring, you probably end up with a long wait. That happened to me once on the weekend, but at least I exp
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Rma is of course a big clinic with good success rates. From what I've read, the quality of their lab makes a big difference in their outcomes, but that's one area of the practice that we don't really see. I went to rma westside (except on weekends) and I was so pleased overall with how quickly and efficiently I was seen in the many morning appointments for monitoring. I had been so worried about missing lots of work, and I ended up not being late once, because if I got to the clinic before it opened (7am), I could literally have my blood drawn and my ultrasound done and be out the door at 7:20. Amazing! They also were very organized and never missed calling me with my instructions, which was an unfounded paranoia of mine. Rma is more impersonal because you rotate doctors and there are so many patients, but it seemed to me that they have a system that works. I think if you arrive later in the window of hours for monitoring, you probably end up with a long wait. That happened to me once on the weekend, but at least I expected it. They really move quickly though. At rma, I definitely didn't have that feeling of knowing the nurses well, even though I went in all the time. They didn't really know me by name. But everyone was always friendly and professional, so that was a fine trade-off to me.
Dr. McAvey was warm and took the time to share information and answer questions. She was receptive to email communication.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Erin)
I'm not sure if Erin was the primary nurse but she often was the one who called with instructions. She always was patient with questions. I also heard from Olga a lot. I didn't have too many interactions with nurses in person- mostly just leading up to the instructions for trigger, retrieval, transfer, etc. My ivf coordinator Christina ended up not being extremely helpful. She was new, but I found I could get information from my doctor or nurses, not from her.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey did a great job monitoring my first and only IVF cycle after 7 failed iuis at a different clinic. I have endometriosis but there was no clear reason for my infertility. She was extremely positive about my chances. I think I ended up being an easy patient because I ended up responding very well to the stimulation cycle. When my e2 spiked and I was in danger of hyperstimulating, she canceled my fresh transfer so that my body could recover. She did a great job of monitoring my follicle growth so I triggered at the right time for the maximum number of eggs retrieved. I ended up with 31. She also pressured me gently to only transfer one embryo, because she thought my chances were so good, and I really wanted to do two. IVF is obviously an easier experience on a patient when it's so successful, so it's only natural that I highly regard Dr. McAvey. It's hard to know if I would have gotten the same great outcome the first time with anther doctor. I still have 11 frozen embryos waiting to be our baby's sibling.
Ask a lot of questions. Be in touch via email if you want more information.
I believe I was on the antagonist protocol for ivf: I had a short 8 day stimulation cycle, and I took gonal-f, ganirelix, and menopur during that time. (Probably others I'm forgetting). Of course I started my cycle with birth control pills. When my cycle staRted and I went in for baseline, I had an ovarian cyst that delayed my start for two weeks. She prescribed me ovidrel to treat the cyst. I triggered with hcg. I had a lot of follicles to begin with and responded well (except for the e2 spike, which was fine). I had 31 eggs retrieved, 19 fertilized, 12 made it to freeze. I then went straight to a frozen embryo transfer for my next cycle. I was prescribed antibiotics, estrace pills, and I was on progesterone in oil shots through week 9 of pregnancy. My transfer went off without a hitch. I didn't do bed rest or anything afterwards.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Weekdays 7-10am monitoring hours. I always arrived by 6:45, out by 7:30 at latest. Very efficient and well run. On weekends you have to go to the big main clinic. I had a longer wait there but it was quicker than I expected considering the number of patients waiting.
I was extremely lucky to have my ivf cycle and medications be 100% covered by insurance. I think we only had a few hundred billed to us (copays and an u/s at my initial visit).
2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
I really struggled with my experience at RMA. I really liked Dr. Copperman when I met with him so I knew going in he knew what he was doing. After the initial one on one meeting, nothing about the experience was personal. I almost never saw my own doctor, i always seemed to speak to a different nurse, and overall communication with the nurses was poor. The most obvious reason why i felt like a number was the atmosphere of the clinic, it has a "herding cattle" atmosphere. There are always at least 20 people in the waiting room if not 40.
2 Egg Freezing, 1 Embryo Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Besides the great doctors that work there, there arent too many strengths to the clinic. Although this may not seem important, this really bothered me during my treatment - the office staff and even some nurses dressed very inappropriately for a doctors office setting. They did not represent the clinic well and it was hard to take many of the seriously. The clinic is always always crowded. I was actually surprised how quickly they get people in and out. I did really enjoy the women who did the blood tests, they were all warm and friendly!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Maya)
My coordinator was overall good. She was good at communicating besides a few times when she didn't respond to my email and I had to follow up.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Over all I liked Dr. Copperman, I do wish I saw him more. His bed side manner is decent, although he can have a bit of a sarcastic way about him which can be good for some and bad for others. He used a different protocol than my previous doctor which I liked and seemed more appropriate for someone my age dealing with diminishing ovarian reserves.
Don't be afraid to ask him questions. He sees a lot of patients and can be very quick during a monitoring appointments and can make it hard to get your questions asked and it can feel a little rushed.
Dr. Copperman used something called the short protocol with me for the cycle. This adds in a medicine called luperon which helps your brain to naturally produce FSH. Since I am considered to be young in the fertility world, he said this protocol can be very successful as my body can be very receptive. In addition to the Luperon I also took menopur and follistim. The short protocol also doesn't require estrogen beforehand or ovulation tracking. I was also put on the pill for two weeks before my cycle to jump start my cycle.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
There was a window of time in the morning which was nice in a way since I didn't have to miss work. They are very quick and on average would probably spend 15 min waiting which wasn't terrible considering how many people were waiting.
treatment for embryo freezing was $12,000 plus the cost of meds
2013 - 2016
***YOU WILL ALMOST NEVER SEE YOUR DOCTOR*** [at RMA of New York] While your doctor will call you with results, they will rarely--if ever-- be the person you see for monitoring or do any of your procedures. If you need weekend monitoring there is only one office open and it is like a cattle call. The wait can be an hour+ at times.
2013 - 2016
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
***YOU WILL ALMOST NEVER SEE YOUR DOCTOR*** While your doctor will call you with results, they will rarely--if ever-- be the person you see for monitoring or do any of your procedures. If you need weekend monitoring there is only one office open and it is like a cattle call. The wait can be an hour+ at times.
When we were with Dr. Lederman for a sit-down appointment he would take his time, never rushing us, and discuss whatever we needed. For anything else-- monitoring, egg retrieval, embryo transfer-- we rarely saw him and just had to take whoever was on staff that day,
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Christine, but she left halfway through our first IVF cycle and then we had nobody)
Erin was the main nurse we had contact with. She was very kind and caring and compassionate.
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
He is thorough, but this can also be to his detriment. He spends a lot of time spouting facts and figures that don't necessarily apply to you (for example I'm 32, I don't particularly care about the success rates for women 40+ or risks for them). We were also very under-prepared for a lot of things that happened along the way-- stopping our first cycle (nobody had ever mentioned that might happen), transferring more than one embryo (we had only ever been told, for years, that one embryo would be transferred due to my age), an ectopic outcome.
This is hard. You don't know what you don't know, so it's impossible to tell someone to ask a lot of questions, etc. when you don't know what to ask and you feel like you're getting thorough information.
1) IVF-- my husband had testicular cancer and so his sperm count was low. Our first cycle was stopped as I was told my eggs weren't developing as a "cohort". Two eggs were "racing ahead of the pack" and Dr. Lederman felt like due to my age and health, we could do better. It was converted to an IUI where I had a negative home pregnancy test and the dr's office had a low positive (chemical pregnancy most likely). 2) Once I got my period I was put on birth control (pill) for about 2.5 weeks and then started hormone injections again. It took longer than anticipated before they did the egg retrieval (we were told about 10 days, it was 14 before my retrieval). My egg retrieval was extremely painful and I couldn't move and was in the worst pain of my life for several days. Nobody would prescribe me anything for the pain (various other materials I read online said other patients at other clinics were always sent home with an rx painkiller). I had also been told this procedure is "painless". They got 12 eggs, 10 were mature enough to fertilize (ICSI), 8 were successful, 6 grew, and we wound up with 2 the day-of. The doctor who did our transfer, literally as they were wheeling me out of the waiting area and into the transfer room, said "oh we want to put both back" so my husband and I didn't really have time to even think about it. We had been told, for years, that only ONE egg would ever be transferred. 3) This resulted in an ectopic pregnancy and the most difficult time of our lives. The pregnancy test came back low positive (hcg about 8) so they told me it didn't work. Then my numbers continued to triple every 2-3 days and make huge jumps. This whole time I was in for monitoring every 2-3 days where various doctors, who were not my doctor, would tell me they didn't know what was wrong but something definitely was even though my numbers were in the normal range. I was repeatedly told they "couldn't find it" (the sac). After a couple weeks of this (getting good new the numbers were rising and then terrible news that they were convinced something was terribly wrong because they couldn't see anything) I was sent to an ultrasound clinic with higher tech machines as, after weeks of torture, my doctors office finally informed me that their machines aren't good enough to see anything that early anyway (!!!!). This place found an ectopic pregnancy in my left tube. I had two shots of methotrexate that evening and we had to stop trying for three months. 4) After three months, we went back to Dr. Lederman and said at this time we are only willing to try IUI (something less invasive). We are in the middle of our first cycle with Clomid.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The weekend had one location open across the entire city and it was a cattle call. It is a nightmare to go there with waits lasting over an hour, nowhere to sit, etc.
Our insurance covers this. I just have an occasional co-pay.
1 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
All of the nurses I've talked to [at RMA of New York] are good, but Jean-Ann is the best. She offered to help me with injections two mornings when I was there for monitoring, since my husband was out of town. One time she even called me on her day off to respond to an email I had written.
1 IUI, IVF, Egg Freezing
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Poor Egg Quality, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very pleasant and clean and comfortable.
See my previous statement. I definitely feel like a person there, and not a number.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jean-Ann Mckiernan and Ferstendig)
All of the nurses I've talked to are good, but Jean-Ann is the best. She offered to help me with injections two mornings when I was there for monitoring, since my husband was out of town. One time she even called me on her day off to respond to an email I had written. I really feel like she's in our cheering section and is hoping for us to succeed. Eliza was also awesome. When I got discharged from the RE's office (to my OB), I hadn't said goodbye to her before I left, so she ran out into the hall while I was waiting for the elevator just to say goodbye and good luck. So sweet!