Natan Bar-Chama

Westchester
311 North Street, Suite 310
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

I had serious concerns about how other people at the clinic treated me. He [Dr. Daniel Stein] was always very responsive and thoughtful...I had success with our first transfer which I hadn’t expected. I was 41 when I gave birth. He definitely helped us get to where we wanted to be very quickly. I had a bad experience with the clinic and he was very responsive and made me feel heard and supported...I had a pretty high AMH for my age (2.56 at 41) but he still used pretty high doses of meds I think. I stimmed for 11 days and got 46 eggs which shocked me. 35 fertilized and 31 made it to day one; 10 embryos made it to day 5 and of those half tested PGS normal.
I had serious concerns about [some staff] at the clinic [RMA of New York] treated me...Know that the clinic itself has pitfalls particularly the east side office. But they are very effective. Overall worth it because he [Dr. Stein] is a kind and effective doctor but have eyes open that the east side office is unpleasant at best and you have to go there for retrievals and transfers and on weekends...My final visit was around 9 weeks. The Dr and one nurse said I could be in touch through the end of the first trimester. But when I had a threatened miscarriage at 11 weeks they were unresponsive and unhelpful. They claimed later this is just how fertility clinics operate due to the high cost of malpractice insurance. I have since found out people about who were helped by their clinics after 9 weeks.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Know that the clinic itself has pitfalls particularly the east side office. But they are very effective. Overall worth it because he is a kind and effective doctor but have eyes open that the east side office is unpleasant at best and you have to go there for retrievals and transfers and on weekends.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I had serious concerns about how other people at the clinic treated me. He was always very responsive and thoughtful
Describe the protocols Daniel Stein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I don’t remember dosages. I had a pretty high AMH for my age (2.56 at 41) but he still used pretty high doses of meds I think. I stimmed for 11 days and got 46 eggs which shocked me. 35 fertilized and 31 made it to day one; 10 embryos made it to day 5 and of those half tested PGS normal.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
“They get the job done” someone told me and they were right. Weakness of the clinic is that the east side office is unhelpful and unresponsive. I had a very bad experience when I went there at 11 weeks after waking up to a gush of blood. I had called the on call doctor who never called me back. Because it was a Saturday I went to the east side-the only open location. They had me wait for a while then said nobody could see or speak with me because I was too far along (had been told conflicting info earlier in my treatment). At this point I’d been going to RMA for over a year and this was shocking and very upsetting. I insisted on speaking with someone and the clinician who told me “legally we can’t see you” wouldn’t tell me her name and was very antagonistic. So I went to an ER and found out I had a threatened miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I preferred the soho office. Hours were later, it was smaller, and the atmosphere was more friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Stein at RMA of New York.
We paid less than 10k out of pocket including copays
NY - Westside

I had expressed concerns [to Dr. Thornton] from the onset about vulnerability to hormonal variations and when it became so drastic post-transfer that I was suffering from a first-time onset of clinical depression, I was completely dismissed by all involved. When I was finally issued a different protocol (different drug administration technique) Dr. Thornton did not even check in *once* to see if there was improvement, or how I was doing, or just to treat me like a human patient rather than a vessel for a successful live birth. Nurses are the same, and you will rarely see or interact with the same person twice.
Honestly I haven't heard from the billing department [at RMA of New York] once since starting this process. I've tracked my own expenses - thank god? - but no one has updated me or followed up with me. At this point I'm honestly wondering whether I even have a chart over there. I'm estimating the entire process (egg retrieval, testing, FET) cost about 40k...I expect the clinic's strength is in the sheer volume of patients and cases they have treated. This is a double edged sword, however, in that you become just one of those numbers - and statistics - that contributes to their overall rates. Honestly I felt like I was seen as an easy opportunity to achieve an 'under 35 live birth on the first implant' in order to boost their numbers, and I was given 0 personal attention or care.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr Thornton is likely very intelligent and possibly talented at her job related to the actual fertility elements. Her bedside manner and patient care is utterly lacking. Perhaps I'm an outlier, but if an outlier can be these drastic, I truly wonder where the mean would lie.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
You must be a superior project manager and be able to manage your fertility journey with confidence, precision, and the ability to stand up for yourself. No one will take care of you, no one will check up on you, and no one will offer you ways to ameliorate any difficulties the process may cause for you. You should not be afraid to call, email, and keep calling to get the results, updates, and information you need to proceed confidently. This is your body, your choice, and your money that is feeding the factory.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
RMA is a factory. I will not be the first nor the last to say this. I think people are desperate for results and will take any kind of mistreatment along the way to get there. I had expressed concerns from the onset about vulnerability to hormonal variations and when it became so drastic post-transfer that I was suffering from a first-time onset of clinical depression, I was completely dismissed by all involved. When I was finally issued a different protocol (different drug administration technique) Dr. Thornton did not even check in *once* to see if there was improvement, or how I was doing, or just to treat me like a human patient rather than a vessel for a successful live birth. Nurses are the same, and you will rarely see or interact with the same person twice.
Describe the protocols Kimberley Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I started on progesterone shots post 5-day FET (pgt-a and pgt-m). I was miserable. I'd communicated my vulnerability to hormones early on, and it became so drastic I had to demand some sort of change in the treatment or I would not be able to be a functional mother for my current daughter. The nurse told me they couldn't 'make me' take the medication, as in I could either proceed with no change and suffer, or make my own call to completely stop treatment at 6 weeks post-transfer. Something somehow finally got through to Dr Thornton and I was switched to thrice daily endometrin pills + twice daily vaginal suppositories. This produced some nausea but SIGNIFICANTLY improved mood. It took too much and too long to get me to that change. And i had to demand it for myself.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Nursing staff repeatedly had to be followed up with in order to get the full information i needed. On multiple occasions I was chasing people down nearly the end of the day to acquire extremely time sensitive prescriptions - including trigger shot over a holiday weekend! They are impossible to reach - no direct lines or emails. And one nurse when i told her i was suffering on my treatment told me i didn't 'have' to continue the medication, rather than work with me to consult the dr for a mitigated treatment plan.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I expect the clinic's strength is in the sheer volume of patients and cases they have treated. This is a double edged sword, however, in that you become just one of those numbers - and statistics - that contributes to their overall rates. Honestly I felt like I was seen as an easy opportunity to achieve an 'under 35 live birth on the first implant' in order to boost their numbers, and I was given 0 personal attention or care. When I awoke from being put under to have my eggs retrieved, a person I'd never seen before merely said to me 'what does your phone case look like'. That was honestly the first thing someone said to me when I came to. That is the kind of treatment you can expect.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York.
Honestly I haven't heard from the billing department once since starting this process. I've tracked my own expenses - thank god? - but no one has updated me or followed up with me. At this point I'm honestly wondering whether I even have a chart over there. I'm estimating the entire process (egg retrieval, testing, FET) cost about 40k.
Describe Kimberley Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I'm not sure but we only transferred one with no discussion of multiples
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
-my follicles got jacked really quickly and i was beyond bloated. We were approaching fourth of july weekend and i was project managing to the extreme to ensure that my trigger shot order was put in and able to be picked up before everything closed. Literally 15 min before the specialty pharmacy closed for an extended weekend i was sprinting in to grab the trigger shot, after spending days playing telephone tag to ensure timing was correct and it was ordered. This was INSANE. -Then my initial Dr went on maternity leave in the middle of my cycle, and informed me two days prior. We were in the middle of interpreting and awaiting updated results on embryos from PGT-A and PGT-M, after coming back inconclusive. This was a shock. -Finally, I was beyond struggling with my progesterone protocol post-FET and was desperate to be tapered off at the earliest possibility. I was legitimately clinically depressed and conveyed this to a nurse upon hearing that my protocol would not be changing at all even by method. She told me that they can't 'make me' take the medicine, and that my two choices were essentially continue to suffer for the sake of the pregnancy, or just take myself off entirely, because they were providing no alleviation strategy. It was the most grotesque display of utter disregard for patient wellbeing, and frankly this nurse should reconsider her profession. After sending a desperate and dire email to my dr (thank god i randomly had her email) some change in protocol was suggested - suppositories and pills rather than shots. She then literally never followed up with me to check in on me after the switch. No call, no email. Nothing to confirm the switch in protocol was for the better. That was the final nail in the coffin for showing me how little RMA cared for me as a patient. -When I was able to come off the drugs entirely, I received a curt email: "Your levels are adequate and you can stop your endometrin today." This, after 40k and 8 months. Can you imagine? -I'm still waiting to hear from the nurse managers to discuss my experience. Nothing. No followup despite my explicit request to be contacted. And so here I am.

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I have spoken with Dr. Mukherjee once every 6 months or so. ... Dr. Mukherjee conducted one out of 5 IUIs. ... Dr. Muhkerjee, when I did get a chance to meet with him has been very nice. When having phone consultations, things seem very rushed and he gave more directives than an opportunity to figure out what wasn't working. ... I was informed that my BMI was too high so I met with the nutritionist, who helped bring that down so I could take Clomid and have less of a risk of a heart attack with the lower BMI.
They have several offices that are clean and well maintained, which is a strength. They do not have a good communication system, there is no where to speak with the doctor directly. The nurses always call back if you have a question, which is fine for some things but sometimes you just need to talk to your doctor. ... I have met with my "primary nurse" about once since 2016 and when speaking to her on the phone, she comes off as very dismissive.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
One piece of advice, don't expect him to be the only doctor that you meet with at RMA of NY. I have had at least 4 different doctors perform my IUIs (I've had 5 to-date).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
Dr. Mukherjee conducted one out of 5 IUIs. I mostly speak with whichever nurse gets my message, although I have been assigned one. I have spoken with Dr. Mukherjee once every 6 months or so.
Describe the protocols Tanmoy Mukherjee used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I was informed that my BMI was too high so I met with the nutritionist, who helped bring that down so I could take Clomid and have less of a risk of a heart attack with the lower BMI. That's about all that I could remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Julie (Last name unknown))
I felt like the entire office runs more like a factory than a doctor's office. When being contacted by phone, it just is a list of things for me to do. Most of the time, things that did not work out, such as where to pick up my medication or timeliness of them putting the medication into the pharmacy. Some of the nurses seemed ok but you don't get an opportunity to know any of them well enough to build a trusting relationship.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They have several offices that are clean and well maintained, which is a strength. They do not have a good communication system, there is no where to speak with the doctor directly. The nurses always call back if you have a question, which is fine for some things but sometimes you just need to talk to your doctor. And when the nurse calls back, it may not be the same nurse each time. I have met with my "primary nurse" about once since 2016 and when speaking to her on the phone, she comes off as very dismissive. Another strength are the women that sit in the front, as they seem much more personable and help with the ease of checking out of the office after your visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York.
My insurance does not cover IUI treatments and they quoted me a bundle cost of $700 per cycle. I had to call my insurance for clarification, as the "financial coordinator" that I was assigned provided my inaccurate information.
Describe Tanmoy Mukherjee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
N/A at this time.
NY - Eastside

At the end of the day, my IVF procedure worked and I am pregnant. I transitioned to Dr. Sekhon from a doctor who left the clinic and the transition was messy and often fraught with bad communication and lack of compassion...she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email... treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
RMA doesn’t really allow the conversation of having more than one egg transferred OR discounting subsequent transfer cycles for patients under 35...At times in the process you can definitely feel that RMA is more concerned with their own stats than your individual patient case. They are rigid in their standards (which are top notch) but sometimes to a fault..The phlebotomist is really great at RMA! Also shoutout to Nurse Melissa who is lovely and often went above and beyond. I felt she explained things to me in a way doctor Sekhon was not capable of and always showed compassion. The coordinator, Jennifer, is sweet and was helpful but definitely inexperienced.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Ask all the questions- she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sekhon treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
Describe the protocols Lucky Sekhon used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I believe I did the antagonist protocol and had to do 13 days of shoes because my follicles took awhile to develop.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Needle)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call and often created conflicts with work because they were completely inflexible. The front desk admin sent out bloodwork for the day multiple times before monitoring hours were over, leading to issues with same day results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York.
I had insurance coverage that was capped at $10k for lifetime maximum so paid a few thousand out of pocket at least . I was ultimately able to get my medications covered but only because someone from Glow suggested I fight for it.
Describe Lucky Sekhon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The clinic and transition between doctors felt at times messy. In particular, the receptionist/admin had a terrible attitude and was hard to navigate.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Thornton is great at following standard operating procedures, but doesn't provide a high quality of care. She is incredibly risk averse. I often felt I knew more about my course of treatment through internet research then what she was able to tell me. She doesn't seem to care about her patients and doesn't always follow through on what she describes as "next steps" in course of treatment. After 3 years, I feel like I can't trust her and have little confidence in what she says.
The nursing staff [at RMA of New York]... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized...Monitoring was awful. A room full of dozens of women waiting to be seen. Wait times were erratic. Sometimes it was 10 minutes, sometimes it was an hour and 10 minutes...During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Don't bother... find another doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
At RMA, expect to feel like a one of thousands of patients that are pushed through the system. You won't be allowed to speak to someone when you call. You won't actually see your doctor when you have an appointment. When you do manage to see your doctor, they will not follow through on what they said in previous appointments. If you have thoughts on your treatment, they won't listen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nursing staff... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized. If I wasn't an organized intelligent and highly educated person... I wouldn't have had the medication I needed to continue with treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The phlebatomist is the only pleasant person who knows what she is doing and does it well. The receptionist is awful. She's cosntantly scowling and rude to patients. Her temperament would be better suited for someone who didn't have to interact with people. During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
NY - Downtown

She [Dr. Kimberly Thornton] sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results...It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks...Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions...During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes...not value evidence-based treatment...The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.
The biggest problem or RMA is communication. There is no patient portal and you can only get partial verbal information from a phone call from a nurse. RMA does not provide a consistent treatment procedure. The experiences are very different based on your doctor and nurse...For IUI, RMA took bloodwork on Day 3 and will send an email to let you know when to come in for ultrasound and trigger shot and the date for IUI. During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes. RMA does not share that information by default. Nurse
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results. RMA does not provide a patient portal system and she does not share all the test results, not mention to review them or responds to them. It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks.
If you are under 35-year old, lucky and healthy, it might be OK to work with Dr. Thornton. If you are older and cannot waste your time, do not work with her. Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions.
Dr. Thornton is warm and polite. However, the whole process is a one-way approach. She applies the same treatments and has never adjusted them based on the test results or previous failure cycle. She is not interested in increasing my odds but sales the treatment cycle one after another.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Moro)
The nurse plays a key role in IVF and IUI procedure. Melissa tends to ignore emails and has never clearly explained the procedure. She fails to communicate all of my test results or check my records. When she is on vacation, no one coves her duty. Things can easily fall through cracks. It is nerve-breaking to work with her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I pay co-pays and medication for IUI procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Dr. Thornton and her team do not value evidence-based treatment. They do not communicate, review all test results or investigate the best treatment for each person. The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.
NY - Downtown

When we spoke to Dr. Sekhon, she was warm and informative and great. But we rarely spoke to her unless we emailed to reach out proactively.... Dr. Sekhon is very informative and when we speak with her, she is thorough in her responses (vs on email sometimes we have to ask multiple questions to gain full clarity).... Visit the downtown office in Soho if you want to see her. You need to actively email her and set up a call to really gain clarity.
RMA is a factory and we are all just a number. There is no link between IVF coordinators and finance which resulted in miscommunication between them to me, and I had to pay for my first cycle out of pocket as we were still waiting for insurance approval. There have been other instances where a nurse called and told me to "take the trigger tonight, and see you on Sunday for the IUI" without mention of timing for either!
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
We really like Dr. Sekhon when we speak with her, but it's rare. Our issue is mainly with RMA and how its run and the human error that occurs with the nurses on an almost regular basis. Dr. Sekhon is very informative and when we speak with her, she is thorough in her responses (vs on email sometimes we have to ask multiple questions to gain full clarity).
First protocol was Gonal F + Menopur + Microdose Lupron which resulted in 4 retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI and 1 sent for PGS. Second protocol included estrogen patch + Gonal F + Menopur which resulted in 2 retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI and 1 fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Our lead IVF coordinator was amazing. But the nurses that called with information each time after a morning monitoring were sometimes not clear with instructions / next steps.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Can be a long wait but it's pretty expected so not a huge issue
approx 14k per ivf cycle not including meds
RMA does not practice multiple embryo transfer (or at least it was not an option given to me, although in conversations after my failed transfer, Dr Sekhon said she would petition to their board to consider a multiple embryo transfer with my history)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
They have called without giving me full information. I also learned that the nurse told me one thing about my embroys and later on the doctor said that was not the right information.
NY - Westside

Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way.... Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace,
Convenient locations [RMANY] and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file....My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way. I started treatment when I was 32 - she basically told me I could or could not do PGS testing given my age. 4 transfers later with 2 miscarriages (1 ectopic) and 2 failed transfers I am frustrated that little was changed from cycle to cycle and we were encouraged to make other changes (such as PGS testing or supplemental changes).
She is great within RMA, but RMA has a million patients. If you are meeting the standard protocol, she is great, but may be less so with special cases.
Dr. Thornton personally called me many times and I know she truly cared about my outcome. That said, RMA is a huge clinic so she only had so much time to dedicate to an individual patient.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace, estrace patch and progesterone shots. After first pregnancy resulted in ectopic they added a baby aspirin. Only other change was in my fourth transfer, taking 1 dose of estrace vaginally to increase the thickness of my lining.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I had a few nurses call me most frequently. They were nice and very professional, but not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Convenient locations and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Madison office is a nightmare. They often opened late at the Downtown facility, but the staff there is great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York.
Covered by insurance. Probably paid $2K out of pocket.
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I wish the rationale (eSET) had been explained to me more BEFORE my treatment. I think given my weight they considered it far too risky to have twins or other multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During my ectopic pregnancy, I was given no warning and told I had to come in for shots at 3:30pm by the EOD (5pm) all the way uptown. This resulted in me looking unprofessional in my job, not to mention the emotional turmoil. My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
NY - Downtown

I only saw Dr Grunfeld during the initial consultation on how I wanted to proceed with my frozen eggs. He seemed somewhat indifferent during the discussion.... He didn’t seem particularly thorough compared to other fertility doctors I have seen, nor did he seem compassionate... That said, my bigger problems were with the clinic [RMA of NY], which made numerous mistakes during the process...but should go back to better doctor oversight
I don’t say this lightly, but truly feel the clinic [RMA of NY] is just trying to make money and doesn’t have the patients best interest in mind.... Having been to 2 other clinics previously,this was by far the worst experience. Communication was non-existent to terrible. I had to do intramuscular shots - no one showed me how to do them, just sent a video link. The video was inaccurate, which caused me to incorrectly administer the shots and caused extreme pain at the injection site.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
I only saw him to use eggs that had been previously frozen by RMA (with a different doctor that had left the practice). He didn’t seem particularly thorough compared to other fertility doctors I have seen, nor did he seem compassionate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
The clinic as a whole felt like they are just a money making machine and don’t care about patient results. I only saw Dr Grunfeld during the initial consultation on how I wanted to proceed with my frozen eggs. He seemed somewhat indifferent during the discussion. That said, my bigger problems were with the clinic, which made numerous mistakes during the process...but should go back to better doctor oversight (eg, forgot about prescribing and telling my husband to take antibiotics before giving his sample - luckily we have been through this enough at other clinics that we knew to ask)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Having been to 2 other clinics previously,this was by far the worst experience. Communication was non-existent to terrible. I had to do intramuscular shots - no one showed me how to do them, just sent a video link. The video was inaccurate, which caused me to incorrectly administer the shots and caused extreme pain at the injection site. I called immediately and was just told to do it the same way the next night and a nurse would show me next time I was in the office. I could barely walk for days due to this. When I complained later, I was told that they knew the videos weren’t right and were remaking them. Additionally they forgot to prescribe and tell my husband to take antibiotics the night before they needed his sample. Luckily we caught the mistake and asked about it.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I don’t say this lightly, but truly feel the clinic is just trying to make money and doesn’t have the patients best interest in mind. Compared to other places we have been, I can’t come up with a single strength for this place
NY - Eastside

5 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Kim Thornton] rarely made herself available to speak with me regarding medication questions and concerns I had. I found her to be detached, inconsiderate, and lacking in empathy...When I asked her about some of the emerging trends in medical journals regarding new treatment approaches for women my age she was not aware of them. I do not believe she fully evaluated my prior protocols to appropriately consider making modifications as she insisted on continuing with a treatment protocol that had failed twice.
I was covered by insurance for my treatments and medications (which was confirmed in advance by their billing department), however RMA still required me to pay $2000 (just in case)...I felt most times I was in the office for monitoring that I was part of a cattle-call. they also overcharge patients and are very slow to reimburse for overcharges...The nursing staff treated patients like cattle. It was very difficult to get them on the phone to answer questions or request information.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton lacks both compassion and apparent scholarship. When I asked her about some of the emerging trends in medical journals regarding new treatment approaches for women my age she was not aware of them. I do not believe she fully evaluated my prior protocols to appropriately consider making modifications as she insisted on continuing with a treatment protocol that had failed twice. She did not listen to my needs or concerns as a patient and made me fel very devalued. She lacked a signifcant degree of compassion for my unique circumstances.
Consider choosing a more scholarly, engaged and empathetic Provider. Dr. Thornton is none of these.
Dr. Thornton rarely made herself available to speak with me regarding medication questions and concerns I had. I found her to be detached, inconsiderate, and lacking in empathy
She kept my doses very high of Follistim (from prior two cycles) despite my asking for an adjustment. She also added additional Menopur and LEtrozole over the amounts used in my prior cycles. I suggested that she was over-medicating me she did not heed my concerns. I ended up developing very three large follicular cysts which were atretic (like my prior two cycles) and her other follicles failed to grow after a certain point.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
When you leave RMA you have the lingering sense of "quantity over quality." I felt most times I was in the office for monitoring that I was part of a cattle-call. they also overcharge patients and are very slow to reimburse for overcharges.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
As previously mentioned it was an extensive cattle-call. Medical Assistants were also not very adept at venipuncture nor did they listen to my specific requirements which resulted in multiple punctures (more than 5 on one occasion)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During one examination a physician told me that my follicles (5 of them) had magically disappeared. Despite this distressing news (which was inaccurate), I could not get my physician on the phone to clarify this alarming statement. The nurses failed to order my trigger shot and did not realize the error until the day of my trigger. As previously mentioned, Dr. Thornton over-medicated me which led to poor results.
NY - Downtown

Dr. Sandler monitoring visits were always very quick and i felt he treated me as an ignorant patient who was asking silly questions. He performed none of my retrieval or transfers...I had a 9 week miscarriage and booked a follow up appointment with him 4 weeks later...with no apology whatsoever from his side, and a statement that my embryo didn't look good in the first place so there was no hope for it to survive (which was never mentioned to me before).
I have a lifetime coverage that was used fully for 2 rounds of IVF. My extras [at RMA of New York] included about 7000+ for medication, 2000 for freezing, and 3000 PGS...RMA East side has a lot of patients and it can give the sense of being in a factory. The clinic is clean and the nurses are well prepared, but the receptionists and some phone ladies can be very rude and really impersonal...Katrina [nurse] is fantastic, empathetic, professional and really helpful and informative. The other nurses were also ok, but not all very helpful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is an expert in this field, but lacks the human touch that people who must rely to IVF want to see in a doctor. He did not respect my feelings nor my time as a patient. The first round of IVF was very much of a trial with a limited number of eggs retrieved and transferred before reaching the blastocyst stage. As I agreed to do PGS for the second round, I received much more attention and information by dr. Sandler although he was never so positive it would work (while it did).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
If you are looking for an empathetic doctor who is willing and able to listen, explore other options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler monitoring visits were always very quick and i felt he treated me as an ignorant patient who was asking silly questions. He performed none of my retrieval or transfers as there have always been other (much nicer) doctors from RMA on duty when I was scheduled to retrieve/transfer. This was good for me, but I never appreciated having to stick to dr. Sandler for the monitoring part as he was definitely careless about the time patients were waiting in the waiting area. I had a 9 week miscarriage and booked a follow up appointment with him 4 weeks later at 10am to discuss the issue and way forward. Despite being the only person waiting in the waiting room and having an appointment, I was called in at 11am. Basically a full morning lost (I have a 9-5 job) with no apology whatsoever from his side, and a statement that my embryo didn't look good in the first place so there was no hope for it to survive (which was never mentioned to me before).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Katrina is fantastic, empathetic, professional and really helpful and informative. The other nurses were also ok, but not all very helpful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring rooms and machines were clean and well functioning. The main negative side was the lengthy wait, not only due to the number of people ahead of me, but due to dr. Sandler having one on one discussions with his fellows during monitoring hours which in one occasion resulted in making me (and other patients) wait 1.5 hrs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
I have a lifetime coverage that was used fully for 2 rounds of IVF. My extras included about 7000+ for medication, 2000 for freezing, and 3000 PGS.
NY - Eastside
I saw Dr. Stein for a long time. He has a lot of patients. I needed to explain my backstory to him each time and felt he never knew or remembered who I was even after many IUIs and a couple IVF cycles...has been doing this for a very long time and knows his stuff. However his overconfidence was off putting to me. He talked a big game about how great and successful IVF is however I felt he did not give me realistic expectations for my own situation. I also felt that he has the same protocol for everyone and does not waiver from that. I felt that he has no bed side manner and bushed aside many of my concerns. New Patient Advice
RMA is huge. I spoke with countless nurses. They were all competent and compassionate...a factory. But it's a well oiled factory. During the week I'd go to the West side office and the wait was really hit or miss. Sometime I'd show up at 8am and be out in 15min. Sometimes I'd show up at 8am and wait 45min to be seen. On the weekends you must go to the east side office. This was usually very crowded with wait times of 1hr +.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr. Stein has been doing this for a very long time and knows his stuff. However his overconfidence was off putting to me. He talked a big game about how great and successful IVF is however I felt he did not give me realistic expectations for my own situation. I also felt that he has the same protocol for everyone and does not waiver from that. I felt that he has no bed side manner and bushed aside many of my concerns.
Don't expect to see him for monitoring or egg retrieval. Also if you are someone who does a lot of research and wants to be very informed consider someone else. If you want to not do a lot of research on your own and want follow the recommendations of a confident competent doctor, consider him.
Dr Stein always recommends a freeze all cycle with PGS testing and single embryo transfers. As a low responder, I decided this is not the treatment plan I want to follow and have since switched doctors.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is definitely a factory. But it's a well oiled factory. During the week I'd go to the West side office and the wait was really hit or miss. Sometime I'd show up at 8am and be out in 15min. Sometimes I'd show up at 8am and wait 45min to be seen. On the weekends you must go to the east side office. This was usually very crowded with wait times of 1hr +.
I had insurance but paid OOP for some services. I believe ICSI cost $2500 and PGS testing $1500.
Describe Daniel Stein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr. Stein will only transfer 1 embryo.
NY - Westside

Dr. Copperman is an exceptional doctor and knows what he is doing. I trust hime with my medical care and although it has taken us awhile he is always ready to keep trying. However, he is not warm and fuzzy and this has been hard for us at times when we needed a bit of encouragement. He is very much a scientist reflecting on data and analysis to determine best course of treatment.... It can also be hard to get an appt with him as he is VERY busy so sometimes it seems that you speak via the nurses to him versus hearing your plan straight from your doctor.
RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm which is nice because you don't always get to do procedures with your doctor.... There were a few nurses that worked with Dr Copperman that would connect with you re results or directions for special procedures. They were all very upbeat, positive, warm, and excellent communicators. I really enjoy speaking with them. The rest of the nursing staff that took your blood is also very warm, efficient at taking your blood quickly.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman is an exceptional doctor and knows what he is doing. I trust hime with my medical care and although it has taken us awhile he is always ready to keep trying. However, he is not warm and fuzzy and this has been hard for us at times when we needed a bit of encouragement. He is very much a scientist reflecting on data and analysis to determine best course of treatment. I can't complain because we have so far gotten the results we wanted. So his system must work. It can also be hard to get an appt with him as he is VERY busy so sometimes it seems that you speak via the nurses to him versus hearing your plan straight from your doctor. RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Ask a lot of questions so that you feel informed of what the next steps are. Dr Copperman has alot of statistics and that helped me make decisions as to do IUI or IVF. In that way he is super helpful on what success rate of each procedure is.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
RMA is very effecient and is able to see alot of patients at same time. Some of the nurses that you get to know are quite generous and warm and then you feel like a human. However, you rarely speak with your doctor unless you catch him during monitoring hours - so that makes you feel like a number.
Describe the protocols Alan Copperman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Egg retrievals worked best for me when I took birth control pill for 1 month and then started menopur, follistum, and lupron. For FET I was on estradial pills, vaginal e-ring, and estrogen patch, and progesterone in oil via injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jordan)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm which is nice because you don't always get to do procedures with your doctor. It is also great that they call you with results / directions and then email them as well so you don't have to be worried if you didn't catch everything.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring was a well oiled machine. If we got there early enough it didn't ruin our day. And since there are locations all over the city it felt quite easy. And then we would treat ourselves for a nice breakfast before work.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Copperman at RMA of New York.
About $13000 per egg retrieval / $3500 for FET transfer. $2000 PGSD for testing
Describe Alan Copperman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr Copperman would only transfer 1 embryo. He said statistically 1 embryo transfer is more successful and is safer for baby and mother. We went in originally wanting to transfer two embryos so we were a bit disappointed to hear he would only transfer one. However, we only have a few embryos so I think this route is much better for us health wise and strategically.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Copperman is very knowledgeable in the field and seems to be on top of trends in the industry. In terms of personality, he is very robotic and difficult to engage. Over the course of treatment (including 3 transfers), he was seen only for the first...Dr. Copperman is exceedingly more of a researcher than a warm and caring doctor...Dr. Copperman also would not consider natural cycle for FET.
RMA is a factory, simply put. This isn’t entirely bad, as they seem to know what they are doing (for the most part) - but you will not be treated as an individual really in any way...you won’t get personalized care and you MUST stay on top of your own treatment and be your own advocate. There were multiple oversights in terms of my care and I was tested for things (that could have negatively impacted treatment success and turns out I had) only because I insisted on doing so.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman is exceedingly more of a researcher than a warm and caring doctor. If you want warmth, compassion and a relationship, I’d go elsewhere.
Treatment protocols for egg retrievals were never changed or personalized, despite diminishing number of eggs retrieved each cycle as age increased. Dr. Copperman also would not consider natural cycle for FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara)
As is the case with large practices, nurse staff quality ranges. We’ve had some very positive interactions and help from nurses, and then some major major oversights and multiple miscommunications in terms of medication instructions that we had to catch ourselves.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a factory - again, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it does mean you won’t get personalized care and you MUST stay on top of your own treatment and be your own advocate. There were multiple oversights in terms of my care and I was tested for things (that could have negatively impacted treatment success and turns out I had) only because I insisted on doing so.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were typically smoothly run. They could get be crowded depending on the day, but most of all it was as positive an experience as possible.
IVF was not covered by insurance so costs were high - around $20,000 for egg retrivel and $4,000 for FET.
NY - Eastside

Dr. Sandler met with me ahead of the IVF and he had reviewed my file. During the cycle, I never saw him nor spoke to him. After a failed IVF, I had to make an appointment and waited two weeks to see him. There was little communication...I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions.
[RMA of New York] is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues...There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions. I went to him because an acquaintance recommended him, but I would not have chosen him on my own - I should have listened to my gut.
Don't go to him if you're older and have poor egg quality. He is of the philosophy that the more medicine, the better.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
It was very cookie cutter Gonal F and Menopur, with higher and higher doses as my body didn't react well. There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I had to call continually because nurses often failed to respond before 3pm. Which is stressful if you're doing an IVF the first time. They offered little information. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. I told the nurse it seemed wrong and she dismissed my concerns. There was little personal attention.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call line, but I rarely waited more than 15 minutes. I was one of the first to enter, though.
My insurance covered most of the costs, except for a small co-pay.
Describe Benjamin Sandler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
This is a large clinic which does the basic care. No one will step in to salvage a cycle if it's not working, or double check that everything is ready to go. If you're young, this might be fine. But if you're older, this might not be the best fit.
NY - Eastside

We only met him[Dr. Grunfeld] twice for consultations- meetings were rushed, he constantly interrupted our questions and concerns, made me feel very uneasy about the process because we were not listened to. I felt as if he has a one-size-fits-all approach, and he wasn't even there for my IUIs- other doctors always performed them. ... He will downplay your concerns about medication side effects. ... There was no communication or interaction with him outside of brief consultations. ...
It is a high-traffic, impersonal clinic. ... I often showed up to a pharmacy to pick up my Letrozole to find that RMA had not called it in. ... I was billed incorrectly for a visit I did not have, and I was twice given another person's bill at the clinic in person as the desk agent entered the wrong personal info for me ... I only received monitoring/blood test results during one IUI cycle, the rest of the time I was just told "everything's fine"
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
He is clearly intelligent and experienced, but he is a terrible listener and does not customize your treatment. I only met him twice, even though I had at least a dozen appointments under his care. He was not present for any of my actual treatments- they were done by other doctors. When our treatments (IUI) were unsuccessful, nothing was changed or investigated. We were pushed hard towards IVF, and he did not feel we needed to do any sort of investigation into our undiagnosed infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Do your homework, interrupt HIM- don't let him talk over you. You must establish dominance or you will never be heard. He will downplay your concerns about medication side effects. He talks extremely quickly, gives you no time to process, and you'll be lucky if you even get to finish a sentence with him.
A good friend referred me to Dr. Grunfeld after she successfully became pregnant after IUI. We only met him twice for consultations- meetings were rushed, he constantly interrupted our questions and concerns, made me feel very uneasy about the process because we were not listened to. I felt as if he has a one-size-fits-all approach, and he wasn't even there for my IUIs- other doctors always performed them. There was no communication or interaction with him outside of brief consultations. His nurses were also clearly dealing with dozens of patients constantly- they had no idea who I was ever, and sometimes this lack of personal connection led them to making some well-meaning but insensitive comments during appointments. I had a much better, more personal experience at RMA Brooklyn, where I have switched to after our 3 IUIs failed. We are now with Dr. Lekovich and about to start IVF... She took her time in consult to listen and answer all of our questions and we feel much more secure in her hands. RMA Eastside has a faceless factory atmosphere, you must advocate for yourself constantly, make sure they are billing you correctly (they once gave me a bill for another patient whose name was similar) and always remember that you are a customer at the end of the day- we were initially denied when we asked to transfer to another doctor in the practice, but when I made it clear I was considering treatment elsewhere, I was immediately given what I asked for. Keep your guard up and be ready to go to battle for yourself at RMA Eastside and with Dr. Grunfeld.
Describe the protocols Lawrence Grunfeld used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
IUI with Letrozole, Ovidrel. Always same dosage, no success (3 tries). Felt like we were just wasting time before IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
At the Eastside clinic, they wouldn't have recognized me out of a crowd as a patient. They were just doing their jobs, but they remembered nothing about my past experiences (miscarriage, the fact that I was depressed about failed IUIs, etc.) and would sometimes make insensitive comments during appointments. I reached my limit when I tried to look at my partner's semen analysis pre-IUI and the nurse purposely covered it with her hand and moved it away from me for no apparent reason (perhaps because we didn't pay for a standalone SA?). I complained about this experience and RMA reached out to apologize.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It is a high-traffic, impersonal clinic. I changed to the RMA Brooklyn clinic as soon as I possibly could, as it is much smaller and the nurses/employees were much more warm and actually remembered me between monitoring appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York.
Costs were covered under insurance, but at the end of the day, each IUI cycle cost about $200 out of pocket, and meds cost about $100 out of pocket after coverage.
Describe Lawrence Grunfeld's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
He is for eSET, against multiple embryo transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
There were many oversights at this clinic. I often showed up to a pharmacy to pick up my Letrozole to find that RMA had not called it in. I only received monitoring/blood test results during one IUI cycle, the rest of the time I was just told "everything's fine" which was very unsettling. I was billed incorrectly for a visit I did not have, and I was twice given another person's bill at the clinic in person as the desk agent entered the wrong personal info for me (there is another patient with a nearly identical name apparently- I have unfortunately seen her personal info more than once and feel badly about it)- the first time this happened, they entered all of my insurance info into the other patient's profile, and when we realized the error, the agent just waved me away, saying "it's ok, sorry" and I still have no idea if they ever corrected it in the system.
NY - Eastside

First meeting, was good. But there were so many steps to take and it wasn't as clear as I would have liked, it felt quite scattered. He [Dr. Lederman] also seemed to want to create a total separation between himself and the finance/expense side. Like, you would sit with him and he would describe an endless list of tests and diagnostics, without any indication of what was necessary vs. lightly recommended, what was expensive and covered by insurance vs. what was typically out of pocket. He acted like he preferred to bury his head in the sand.
The interactions with the office [RMA of New York] were handled by distinct functional role - dr, nurse, front desk, billing, finance / insurance - yet they all seemed to be playing a cruel and unprofessional game of broken telephone with one another - especially the billing/finance/insurance team. The dr. would schedule a saline sonogram, and the finance person would reach out to confirm that I was coming in for IVF (no!!). The dr. would invite me for the next round of diagnostics (with no concluded diagnosis yet), and the billing person would send me paperwork to file claims of "Infertility" with my insurance company. It created a real sense of unease, and I ultimately stopped seeing this clinic as a result.
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
First meeting, was good. But there were so many steps to take and it wasn't as clear as I would have liked, it felt quite scattered. He also seemed to want to create a total separation between himself and the finance/expense side. Like, you would sit with him and he would describe an endless list of tests and diagnostics, without any indication of what was necessary vs. lightly recommended, what was expensive and covered by insurance vs. what was typically out of pocket. He acted like he preferred to bury his head in the sand.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
Take detailed notes, and ask for crystal clear steps / timelines.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
The interactions with the office were handled by distinct functional role - dr, nurse, front desk, billing, finance / insurance - yet they all seemed to be playing a cruel and unprofessional game of broken telephone with one another - especially the billing/finance/insurance team. The dr. would schedule a saline sonogram, and the finance person would reach out to confirm that I was coming in for IVF (no!!). The dr. would invite me for the next round of diagnostics (with no concluded diagnosis yet), and the billing person would send me paperwork to file claims of "Infertility" with my insurance company. It created a real sense of unease, and I ultimately stopped seeing this clinic as a result.
Matthew Lederman

2013 - 2018, 24 Eggs Frozen
RMA has very good doctors--but the entire approach of the clinic is to do large numbers of IVF and egg freezing cycles without little care for the patient. It is very difficult to arrange for a one-on-one conversation with the doctor or nursing staff.... The clinic is also very challenging to work with concerning billing. Even though my insurance provider covers IVF, RMA required me to pay the clinic directly for certain procedures, which forced me to seek reimbursement from my insurance company
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Although Dr. Grunfeld is clearly knowledgable and an expert in the field, he does not spend time with his patients or adequately explain risks or even the possibility of success with a procedure. Dr. Grunfeld was overly optimistic that my 2013 egg freezing cycle would yield good results. When the use of those eggs in 2018 was a total failure, he showed little compassion or concern and did not follow up with me and my husband to advice us on next steps. I was shocked that Dr. Grunfeld showed little concern after my husband and I experienced two miscarriages from spontaneous pregnancy *and* a failed egg fertilization cycle in which my 24 eggs yielded 0 embryos that tested PGS normal. It was disheartening that we had to call his office numerous times to get even a short (5-minute) conversation with him and that his response was to simply suggest that we do another fresh IVF cycle. I felt like a number and had no confidence that Dr. Grunfeld really cared whether my husband and I were able to conceive.
I would not recommend that any prospective patients seek treatment with Dr. Grunfeld at RMA. I would recommend going to a different clinic. I now see Dr. Samantha Pfeifer at Weil Cornel, and am having a much better experience.
Dr. Grunfeld barely spoke to me. In 2013, I froze 24 eggs through one cycle of egg freezing with Dr. Grunfeld. The doctor was pleased with the result and informed me that there was no need to do another freezing cycle. In 2018, my husband and I sought to use the eggs after experiencing two first trimester miscarriages. The egg thawing and fertilization process was largely unsuccessful with only 1 embryo surviving to the 5-day blastocyst stage. That embryo was deemed abnormal through PGS testing. An RMA nurse called me with the results. I was shocked. The nurse was rushed and said that we lost a lot of eggs in the thawing process and the fertilization process, and that we also lost more than normal during the stage of growing embryos to the 5-day blastocyst stage. She offered no explanation why our results were so bad. My husband and I were so upset that we called the clinic three times to arrange for a conversation with Dr. Grunfeld. When we finally spoke to him, the doctor was flip. He said that my eggs (and our resulting embryos) did not do as well as planned, but that these results were statistically possibly and essentially no big deal. Dr. Grunfeld then suggested we simply do another IVF cycle--as if it were no big deal financially, physically, or emotionally. I was disappointed, particularly because Dr. Grunfeld had been so optimistic that securing 24 eggs through a freezing cycle would yield good results. Dr. Grunfeld spoke to me and my husband for only around five minutes. The casualness of his reaction to the fact that my husband and I had two miscarriages (conceived without IVF) and a failure egg freezing/fertilization cycle shocked us. We indicated that we would seek another opinion before determining how to proceed. Neither Dr. Gurnfeld nor his office ever called us back to ask what we wanted to do. The entire interaction with Dr. Grunfeld and RMA left us feeling that the doctor and clinic as a whole only cared about our money--not about delivering health care that would help us conceive.
Dr. Grunfeld gave me gonal F and Follistum for egg stimulation. He also added ganirelex later in the cycle and Ovidrel for trigger.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses had little interaction with me. They would call each day with my dosage of stimulation drugs. But they did not get to know me or even engage in friendly conversation. I felt like a step in the factory assembly line.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA has very good doctors--but the entire approach of the clinic is to do large numbers of IVF and egg freezing cycles without little care for the patient. It is very difficult to arrange for a one-on-one conversation with the doctor or nursing staff. I felt like a number during my egg freezing cycle and when I returned to the clinic to use my frozen eggs -- which did not yield any usable embryos. The clinic is also very challenging to work with concerning billing. Even though my insurance provider covers IVF, RMA required me to pay the clinic directly for certain procedures, which forced me to seek reimbursement from my insurance company. On one occasion, the doctor recommended that I take a certain test; the RMA billing staff indicated that because they could not guarantee that my insurance company (CIGNA) would cover it, I would just have to pay for the cost directly I was disappointed that RMA, as a clinic that works on a daily basis with CIGNA, would not facilitate my access to IVF coverage by discussing my need for this test with the insurance provider. This was just one example of many by which the clinic conveys that all it cares about is your money, rather than whether the services provided yield the patient the best chance at having a healthy, live baby.
I paid approximately $11K for egg freezing, $4K in storage fees, $3K in genetic testing for me and my husband, and $3K for egg thawing and PGS testing.
Dr. Grunfeld prefers SET, which is fine. My husband and I had no normal embryos to transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
RMA did not properly inform me of the challenges with using frozen eggs, the high probability of egg loss during the thawing process, or the risk that even successfully thawed eggs do not perform as well as fresh eggs in the fertilization process and the process of being developed to the 5-day blastocyst stage in order for PGS testing to occur. Because of these failures, when I sought to use 24 frozen eggs five years after those eggs had been frozen, I was shocked and saddened to learn that none of those eggs yielded a viable embryo. Instead, when I secured the 24 eggs during an egg freezing cycle, RMA told me that this was a great result, which set me up for tremendous disappointment later one. I believe that RMA oversold egg freezing without properly informing me of the challenges to using frozen eggs in order to become pregnant with a healthy baby.
NY - Eastside

[Dr. McAvey] didn't really explain why they were doing what they were doing. I didn't know better and just went with the flow. Only until after I moved to a new doctor did I realize how left in the dark I was...I was supposedly under the care of Dr. McAvey for 2 cycles but only actually saw her twice after the consultation. Didn't feel like I had a personalized treatment plan. She also left a voicemail to tell me all my eggs were abnormal.
Every time I went in for monitoring aka "cattle call" [at RMA of New York] I saw a different doctor. They were all very nice and I'm sure great doctors but the problem is with these big clinics is that you really don't have one person truly dedicated to your success. IVF is all about timing. How can a doctor that hasn't even seen my ovaries make any sort of decisions on my cycle? And even if she wasn't there for all the visits, she never once called or emailed me to see how I was feeling. No one ever told me what my embryos were graded or was wrong with the embryos after testing.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
It's actually pretty hard to share my experience with her because I barely saw her in the 4 months with RMA. We had a none existent relationship. Every time I went in for monitoring aka "cattle call" I saw a different doctor. They were all very nice and I'm sure great doctors but the problem is with these big clinics is that you really don't have one person truly dedicated to your success. IVF is all about timing. How can a doctor that hasn't even seen my ovaries make any sort of decisions on my cycle? And even if she wasn't there for all the visits, she never once called or emailed me to see how I was feeling. No one ever told me what my embryos were graded or was wrong with the embryos after testing. It was my first time doing IVF and didn't even know to ask. I was never told any blood work results. I learned I didn't really know much about anything until I got my medical records to move over to a fertility doctor. I also felt they dropped the ball with the last cycle. Then on about 5 days into this last cycle, a dr said there were only 3 eggs that looked mature. So I emailed Dr McAvey asking if she thinks there are only going to be 3 viable eggs then maybe we should cancel the cycle. We're paying this out of pocket so not trying to throw 15k out the window. Then the next day she upped my dose drastically like a Hail Mary attempt to get some more eggs to mature. The day before retrieval my I believe my biggest one with over 23mm which is huge and one or 2 others over 20. I feel she pushed those to the limit to try to get some others to grow. We did a half dose of the trigger. Ended up with one abnormal embryo on day 5. So, I was right. 15k out the window.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
FInd another doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Beth McAvey used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
They didn't really explain why they were doing what they were doing. I didn't know better and just went with the flow. Only until after I moved to a new doctor did I realize how left in the dark I was.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
They were very nice and pleasant but you still feel like your being moved through an assembly line during morning monitoring. The nurse that was assigned to always sounded kinda cranky. But they called in a timely manner to let you know what meds to take and when to come in again
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They really need to work on making patients feel like people. Having fertility issues is devasting and everyone just lacks compassion. The place feels like a baby making assembly line. I also feel I was kind of pushed to PSG testing. They didn't really talk to me about it. I just got a bill that said I was doing IVF with PGS. I thought it was what the doctor thought was best for me but I'm pretty sure that's how they keep their stats up.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Cattle call for sure but in and out pretty quick
Describe the costs associated with your care under Beth McAvey at RMA of New York.
I got a discounted rate through the Glow app. It was 15k for the cycle including monitoring since we didn't do a transfer they applied that money to the new cycle making it 12k.
Describe Beth McAvey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Never got that far
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I've had issues with there billing department. The woman who was supposed to help with insurance didn't. She said my insurance wouldn't cover the meds because I only had one tube blocked not both. I called Prime Therapeutics myself and they said that was COMPLETELY untrue. So after 4 months, a million phone calls and a mountain of paperwork I got my first reimbursement check in the mail for 4K and hopefully getting another one for 6K by the end of the week. I shouldn't have to be going through this aggravation. A simple preapproval needed to sent to insurance, that's all she had to do.
NY - Westside

[Dr. Lekovich] was not pushy with the options and let us make the decision. She is a firm believer about having 1 embryo implanted and voiced her concerns about twins. she was also open about adjusting medication according to reactions and what not. she is very forward and will let you know if she agrees with some things or not. I like that she is up to date on research and current treatment options. I do like that she does not do duplication of testing if it came back normal/out dated.
I personally thought that i would meet with MD herself [at RMA of New York]. When entering the room, she introduced us to a medical student. I was not informed about her and it honestly made the visit awkward and the student looked bored and made faces during the consult. I wish they would allow the patient to consent prior to the visit. I found it insensitive...I requested a nurse to contact me, she called on a private number and did not leave contact information. I called back and left her a message and never heard back. I was informed 3 weeks later that she was on maternity leave and "never received my message" (blood work done pre-procedure). I was then contacted by a nurse who was kind and answered all my questions
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
During the consultation she provided research information on the two options which she has provided us. She also referred us to a specialist for additional surgery/ second opinion and also provided us with research about treatment with out without the surgery. she was not pushy with the options and let us make the decision. She is a firm believer about having 1 embryo implanted and voiced her concerns about twins. she was also open about adjusting medication according to reactions and what not. she is very forward and will let you know if she agrees with some things or not. I like that she is up to date on research and current treatment options. I do like that she does not do duplication of testing if it came back normal/out dated.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
I personally thought that i would meet with MD herself. When entering the room, she introduced us to a medical student. I was not informed about her and it honestly made the visit awkward and the student looked bored and made faces during the consult. I wish they would allow the patient to consent prior to the visit. I found it insensitive.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
When i met with the Dr. she was kind and knowledgeable. During the consultation she has moments where she looked down and did not make eye contact, looked like she was trying to formulate her thoughts and was kind of distracted. So it was hard to see where she was going with non verbal body language. I thought she was checked out from our visit and wanted the visit to somewhat end earlier than expected. I was happy with the answers which she provided us, i just felt that eye contact would have made me feel more confident in her answer and knowing that took this visit just as seriously as we did.
Describe the protocols Jovana Lekovich used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I requested a nurse to contact me, she called on a private number and did not leave contact information. I called back and left her a message and never heard back. I was informed 3 weeks later that she was on maternity leave and "never received my message" (blood work done pre-procedure). I was then contacted by a nurse who was kind and answered all my questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I went to the Brooklyn clinic as it is smaller compared to the other locations and that is primary location for the MD. I liked that its a smaller office and staff and it doesn't make you feel like you're another number.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York.
I had medical insurance and had an office visit and some testing done in the office. I did not do any treatment.
Describe Jovana Lekovich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
MD wanted 1 embryo transferred and i was inquiring about multiple. I explained why multiple and she dismissed it and explained her reasoning. She also reported that I am young and dont need to worry about doing treatment.... I wish she would have explained reasoning for 1 embryo vs.2 and to explain it deeper (in regards to my previous treatments/diagnosis). I felt it was very one sided on that decision and i was uncomfortable with her approach to that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During visit, I discussed with MD particular medications and the side affects of them. We discussed in length about which medications would be used. when meeting with coordinator, she did not receive the list of medication which we have agreed on. It took about several weeks for coordinator to confirm which medication would be used. Wrong medication was also faxed over to Pharmacy. I continued to receive conflicting information (which at no fault to MD) which left me uncomfortable. I also kept getting responses days/weeks later. due to the lack of responsiveness/several errors, I am uncomfortable continuing with the clinic for treatment. Every phone call or email left me second guessing/ with doubt. I wish i can trust the nurses/coordinators of this clinic but i have to do what works for me. I cannot start this process with conflicting information and its only the beginning stages.
Jovana Lekovich
NY - Westside
The plan [with Dr. Beth McAvey] was pretty basic. Come In for montioring and blood test after cycle day 1. Would go back a week or so later for an ultrasound. Then trigger, then back for IUI. She ordered to see and endocrinologist and my TSH level is normal now. Now we have done 4 IUIs...There was no difference between any of my IUIs... there was no explanation as to why they were not working. And we also did not adjust any “treatment” plans. No added tests, adding progesterone, etc. on my 4th IUI, I went into the city and as the nurse shut the door, she said, “IUI in room 5”. Felt like I was at a fast food restaurant
Before my first IUI cycle [at RMA of New York], the nurse forgot to call in my Ovidrel...Also just recently a nurse informed me that I’ve been pre paying for all my Ovidrels. This was supposed to be covered by my insurance...There was no difference between any of my IUIs. One positive is that results came back quickly, same day if you made the monitoring hours. Expect to be stressed on making monitoring hours in the morning if you are working. I also would ask for a better communication on finances. My co pays were all over the place and there was no consistency on paying for procedures
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr Mcavey is very nice, but never had adjusted my fertility treatments. We have all this “unexplained reasons” which seems to get everyone of the hook, while this is costing us a lot of money. I wouldn’t liked my one on one with her especially after a failed IUI
Take your time when she is in the room with you. Even if you have a failed IUI, press to see her or speak to the nurse for a better course of action on the next round.
As the IUIs continued, there was no explanation as to why they were not working. And we also did not adjust any “treatment” plans. No added tests, adding progesterone, etc. on my 4th IUI, I went into the city and as the nurse shut the door, she said, “IUI in room 5”. Felt like I was at a fast food restaurant
The plan was pretty basic. Come In for montioring and blood test after cycle day 1. Would go back a week or so later for an ultrasound. Then trigger, then back for IUI. She ordered to see and endocrinologist and my TSH level is normal now. Now we have done 4 IUIs , taking this month off to save money for IVF next month.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Sometimes I would see the nurse in Long Island. When i went for my ultrasounds she would just give me the size and saw i was ready. Even after a failed IUI, we never looked at weather or not the timing was off. One nurse in the NYC offive forgot to call in my first Ovidrel so I had to pay out of pocket for it. Also I found out I was pre paying for my trigger and it was supposed to be covered the whole time by my insurance
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
There needs to be a Better review after failed IUIs. There was no difference between any of my IUIs. One positive is that results came back quickly, same day if you made the monitoring hours. Expect to be stressed on making monitoring hours in the morning if you are working. I also would ask for a better communication on finances. My co pays were all over the place and there was no consistency on paying for procedures
4 IUIs $2,000 Genetic testing $400 Meds $300
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Before my first IUI cycle, the nurse forgot to call in my Ovidrel. She called it into a local specialty pharmacy I had to run and pick up for my appt the next day. Had to leave work and then get there to lay out of pocket for it. Also just recently a nurse informed me that I’ve been pre paying for all my Ovidrels. This was supposed to be covered by my insurance.
NY - Eastside

He [Dr. Sandler] is a very smart man, with a lot of experience and knowledge. Very textbook and he's eager to teach you his knowledge of your situation. So you trust you are getting accurate information but the entire time you do feel like a number. Once we agreed to IVF we saw him once during the process, and we were constantly left with questions and no answers after each visit...Be prepared to ask question if/when you have face time with Dr. Sandler. He is impossible to get a hold of and speak to after your initial consultation and meeting.
RMA is a well oiled machine. They are open 364 days a year and monitoring hours are easy and quick....After my egg retrieval I didn't hear from my IVF coordinator. The Nurse called me the next day with the ICSI results after that I had to call and follow up 5 days later. In which no one was able to give me any definitive answers....my embryo status, and next steps. I felt confused, anxious and alone... Get there first thing in the morning and you are in and out within 15 minutes. Otherwise be prepared to wait approximately 45 min.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He is a very smart man, with a lot of experience and knowledge. Very textbook and he's eager to teach you his knowledge of your situation. So you trust you are getting accurate information but the entire time you do feel like a number. Once we agreed to IVF we saw him once during the process, and we were constantly left with questions and no answers after each visit.
Lack of communication, compassion, and time actually spent with the Doctor.
The only know issue is my low ovarian reserve. So we tried 3 cycles of letrozole plus timed IUI followed by a round of IVF on the antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Kirsten Schlosser)
Our IVF coordinator met with us one time and was unaccessible after that. In fact, on average it would take her over 24 hours to return an phone call or email...which is very frustrating during the IVF process. I was forced to rely on nurses who knew very little about my case.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
IUI was around $800/round. IVF was $15,600 plus $5,000 in medication.
He takes things as a case by case basis. So I did trust his recommendation along the way.
NY - Eastside

Initially, Beth [McAvey] seemed sympathetic to my feeling of helplessness but as more treatments happened, she didn't take the time to explain to me why the treatments kept failing. I would've liked to spend more time understanding what we could do to find out if there are other underlying problems with me or my husband in order to better our odds. Maybe there's no way but at least we have explored some options but unfortunately we haven't had the chance to do so yet.
The nurse [at RMA of New York] was very prompt in calling me for every step of the treatment. However, her voicemails would sometimes contradict what she'd tell me on the phone. It's hard to keep track of the schedule so getting contradictory voicemails make it harder...I think the clinic is reputable so I have comfort in the level of care I'd receive. However, because the clinic is well-known in the area, I am one of many patients there so a new patient would not feel like she will receive individual attention and care that she deserves.
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Initially, Beth seemed sympathetic to my feeling of helplessness but as more treatments happened, she didn't take the time to explain to me why the treatments kept failing. I would've liked to spend more time understanding what we could do to find out if there are other underlying problems with me or my husband in order to better our odds. Maybe there's no way but at least we have explored some options but unfortunately we haven't had the chance to do so yet.
I would tell the prospective patient to ask a lot of questions upfront, esp. in case the first couple of treatments fail. I think the most time you'll get out of the doctor is upfront during the first consultation. After the first meeting, you are dealing with nurses and other doctors in the clinic who are not your primary doctor so it's harder to get the information you are looking for.
When my first IUI failed, I was very anxious in finding out the reason for the treatment not to work. She didn't take the time to explain she just said sometimes there's no explanation. During my second treatment, I insisted on running tests to see if there are other issues with me since the second IUI also failed but she said nothing seems to be wrong. She didn't make any helpful suggestions to put me at ease about why my IUIs keep failing or what I should do as my next step. I felt that I was just one of the many "numbers" she had to get through for the day and she didn't take the time to explain to me what I can do to help my odds.
The overall strategy my doctors recommended was to start with IUIs and see if they'll work before I try any more intense treatments due to my age. However, the IUIs have not worked and I still haven't found out the underlying issues.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Olga)
The nurse was very prompt in calling me for every step of the treatment. However, her voicemails would sometimes contradict what she'd tell me on the phone. It's hard to keep track of the schedule so getting contradictory voicemails make it harder.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
For the past two IUIs, I've paid more than $5K out of pocket to the clinic. That included medications, consultation and the actual procedures performed.
Not applicable as I've not tried eSET.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Every time I need my blood taken, I always end up with a bruised arm. The nurses don't seem to be very good at taking blood which I thought would be one of the few things the nurses would actually be good at since they do it so often. There have been times when I have to reach out in order to get the results of my previous test to find out what my next step should be.
NY - Eastside

It's [RMANY] like a machine, somewhat well oiled, with the exception of their finance department which seems in a bit of disarray... I think all the nurses seemed competent. They provided clear instruction 95% of the time and would be willing to provide you with information if you asked..The monitoring hours are good...If you're expecting to talk to someone as a matter of course in your treatment, or to see the same person throughout your treatment, this is not the place for you.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
To be honest I didn't really feel like a patient of Dr. Mukherjee's. I saw/spoke with him only a hand of times and it was mainly to receive bad news, when a cycle failed. I do not feel like I developed a patient/doctor relationship with Dr. Mukherjee given the amount of time spent together and lack of personalized attention to my case. He is a nice person, very well experienced in the field, and he will answer questions if you have them but he (and RMA) seem to be very set on their standard mode of operations. I think Dr Mukherjee / RMA is fine if you fit into their standard protocol but not so if you need personalized attention.
Ask him how often you will see him, how he will determine your course of treatment, what will be the next steps if the current treatment fails, and then decide if it is going to be a good fit for your needs and expectations.
I think this is more a result of the clinic I visited than the doctor. I was recommended by my OBGYN to go to RMANY. RMA has great numbers, they see probably thousands of patients, they have a system set up to get you in and out the door, on a protocol, and processed. It's like a machine, somewhat well oiled, with the exception of their finance department which seems in a bit of disarray. I think being just another number is okay if the protocol works for you, and it does for many. I have a friend and also my OBGYN that have had success for RMA. Unfortunately this was not the case for me and I feel like I could have done with more specialized attention and personalized protocol.
I went through 3 retrievals with Mukherjee. The first protocol he used was the antagonist protocol, which is surprising to me as I've read it is for poor responders or people with PCOS, of which I am neither. The second protocol was antagonist with estrogen priming. Those first 2 cycles resulted in no viable embryos for transfer. The third protocol was down regulation, which I've read is the place where most doctors start but he said is "old technology". I ended up with 1 viable embryo (which ultimately ended up in a chemical pregnancy). During the 9 month period I was under his care I probably saw or spoke to him 5 times. He likened the first 2 unsuccessful attempts to bad luck. After the 3rd unsuccessful cycle he's referred me to a reproductive immunologist since my infertility is still "unexplained". For this I am thankful because I feel like I might be able to find some answers. I think Dr Mukherjee and RMA is fine if you fit into their standard protocol but not so if you need personalized attention.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I spoke with so many nurses here and the experience really varied dependent on who you spoke with. I think all the nurses seemed competent. They provided clear instruction 95% of the time and would be willing to provide you with information if you asked. They would not automatically provide you with information such as embryo grading, so you sort of need to know what to ask for. I get the impression that the clinic sees so many patients that they are just trying to manage their time.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This clinic sees a lot of patients. If your concern is efficiency and you don't require personalized attention or protocols then this place is fine. The monitoring hours are good. There are several locations so monitoring isn't so much a chore. They work with several pharmacies that offer good prices, some which will even deliver your meds to you. They get you in and out so you can get to work on time. If you're expecting to talk to someone as a matter of course in your treatment, or to see the same person throughout your treatment, this is not the place for you.
Approximately $9K for retrieval, $5K for transfer, $2K for PGD, $2K for PGD administrative fee, $750 for anesthesia, $5K for medications
The doctor told me that they do not transfer more than 1 embryo at a time but when I was waiting to have my transfer I heard him say to the couple next door that they were having 2 embryos transferred. If you undergo genetic testing they will always discourage you from transferring more than 1 embryo at a time.

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Lawrence Grunfeld was] Not a good listener; talks without pause so you have to interrupt to say or ask anything. Did not tell us I had diminished ovarian reserve until at least 6 months after treatment started. Because we were instead told nothing was wrong with either of us we delayed treatment. He never told me that there was a possibility anything could go wrong during my IVF cycle other than not getting pregnant after transfer, so I was shocked, confused and devastated when he cancelled my cycle because I did not produce eggs. This is after he told me when my retrieval date would be without ever saying it was contingent on the stimulating medication working. I never knew not getting to retrieval was a possibility.
Very organized nurses and staff [at RMA of New York], polite front desk personnel. Waits could be very long. Educate yourself before your first visit...The nurses were very knowledgeable. Some were also caring, some were cold...We did not hear. Ack about bloodwork. Ordered repeat of bloodwork by accident. Did not give me a proper diagnosis. Did not advise on possible outcomes to procedure...Felt rushed through visits and had to be incredibly forceful to have a chance to ask questions. Did not feel he really wanted to answe my questions. Did not give us a thorough diagnosis or explain the process and possible setbacks that can happen during an IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Ask a lot of questions. Find out as much as you can about treatments before seeing him. Take it upon yourself to get educated as he is very relaxed and doesn't seem to think need fertility help is as traumatic to patients as it can be.
Since I was ovulating on our initial visit, we opted to try IUI. When that didn't work he suggested not trying IUI again and do IVF. I was hesitant about all the medications, and since he said nothing was wrong with either one of us, we decided to try naturally for a few more months. When still no success we went back and that's when he said- by looking at the original bloodwork- that I had low ovation reserve. We were startled and decided to do IVF as soon as possible. I started meds and went for monitoring two times where he told me everything was good and when my retrieval would be, then on the third he said "nope nothing is happening" when I had an ultrasound. I asked what he meant and he said nothing is happening so the cycle is cancelled and sent me home. My husband scheduled a follow up as we were shocked and confused, and the dr was very casual said who know's why and we can try again without any suggestions for changing the process. So we left and decide to check into other doctors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
The nurses were very knowledgeable. Some were also caring, some were cold.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very organized nurses and staff, polite front desk personnel. Waits could be very long. Educate yourself before your first visit.
I don't remember specifically but with treatment and medication comebine we probable spent about $1000 out of pocket (I have insurance)
He said multiple isn't recommended.