Natan Bar-Chama

Westchester
311 North Street, Suite 310
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

I had serious concerns about how other people at the clinic treated me. He [Dr. Daniel Stein] was always very responsive and thoughtful...I had success with our first transfer which I hadn’t expected. I was 41 when I gave birth. He definitely helped us get to where we wanted to be very quickly. I had a bad experience with the clinic and he was very responsive and made me feel heard and supported...I had a pretty high AMH for my age (2.56 at 41) but he still used pretty high doses of meds I think. I stimmed for 11 days and got 46 eggs which shocked me. 35 fertilized and 31 made it to day one; 10 embryos made it to day 5 and of those half tested PGS normal.
I had serious concerns about [some staff] at the clinic [RMA of New York] treated me...Know that the clinic itself has pitfalls particularly the east side office. But they are very effective. Overall worth it because he [Dr. Stein] is a kind and effective doctor but have eyes open that the east side office is unpleasant at best and you have to go there for retrievals and transfers and on weekends...My final visit was around 9 weeks. The Dr and one nurse said I could be in touch through the end of the first trimester. But when I had a threatened miscarriage at 11 weeks they were unresponsive and unhelpful. They claimed later this is just how fertility clinics operate due to the high cost of malpractice insurance. I have since found out people about who were helped by their clinics after 9 weeks.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Know that the clinic itself has pitfalls particularly the east side office. But they are very effective. Overall worth it because he is a kind and effective doctor but have eyes open that the east side office is unpleasant at best and you have to go there for retrievals and transfers and on weekends.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I had serious concerns about how other people at the clinic treated me. He was always very responsive and thoughtful
Describe the protocols Daniel Stein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I don’t remember dosages. I had a pretty high AMH for my age (2.56 at 41) but he still used pretty high doses of meds I think. I stimmed for 11 days and got 46 eggs which shocked me. 35 fertilized and 31 made it to day one; 10 embryos made it to day 5 and of those half tested PGS normal.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
“They get the job done” someone told me and they were right. Weakness of the clinic is that the east side office is unhelpful and unresponsive. I had a very bad experience when I went there at 11 weeks after waking up to a gush of blood. I had called the on call doctor who never called me back. Because it was a Saturday I went to the east side-the only open location. They had me wait for a while then said nobody could see or speak with me because I was too far along (had been told conflicting info earlier in my treatment). At this point I’d been going to RMA for over a year and this was shocking and very upsetting. I insisted on speaking with someone and the clinician who told me “legally we can’t see you” wouldn’t tell me her name and was very antagonistic. So I went to an ER and found out I had a threatened miscarriage.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I preferred the soho office. Hours were later, it was smaller, and the atmosphere was more friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Stein at RMA of New York.
We paid less than 10k out of pocket including copays
NY - Westside

I had expressed concerns [to Dr. Thornton] from the onset about vulnerability to hormonal variations and when it became so drastic post-transfer that I was suffering from a first-time onset of clinical depression, I was completely dismissed by all involved. When I was finally issued a different protocol (different drug administration technique) Dr. Thornton did not even check in *once* to see if there was improvement, or how I was doing, or just to treat me like a human patient rather than a vessel for a successful live birth. Nurses are the same, and you will rarely see or interact with the same person twice.
Honestly I haven't heard from the billing department [at RMA of New York] once since starting this process. I've tracked my own expenses - thank god? - but no one has updated me or followed up with me. At this point I'm honestly wondering whether I even have a chart over there. I'm estimating the entire process (egg retrieval, testing, FET) cost about 40k...I expect the clinic's strength is in the sheer volume of patients and cases they have treated. This is a double edged sword, however, in that you become just one of those numbers - and statistics - that contributes to their overall rates. Honestly I felt like I was seen as an easy opportunity to achieve an 'under 35 live birth on the first implant' in order to boost their numbers, and I was given 0 personal attention or care.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr Thornton is likely very intelligent and possibly talented at her job related to the actual fertility elements. Her bedside manner and patient care is utterly lacking. Perhaps I'm an outlier, but if an outlier can be these drastic, I truly wonder where the mean would lie.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
You must be a superior project manager and be able to manage your fertility journey with confidence, precision, and the ability to stand up for yourself. No one will take care of you, no one will check up on you, and no one will offer you ways to ameliorate any difficulties the process may cause for you. You should not be afraid to call, email, and keep calling to get the results, updates, and information you need to proceed confidently. This is your body, your choice, and your money that is feeding the factory.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
RMA is a factory. I will not be the first nor the last to say this. I think people are desperate for results and will take any kind of mistreatment along the way to get there. I had expressed concerns from the onset about vulnerability to hormonal variations and when it became so drastic post-transfer that I was suffering from a first-time onset of clinical depression, I was completely dismissed by all involved. When I was finally issued a different protocol (different drug administration technique) Dr. Thornton did not even check in *once* to see if there was improvement, or how I was doing, or just to treat me like a human patient rather than a vessel for a successful live birth. Nurses are the same, and you will rarely see or interact with the same person twice.
Describe the protocols Kimberley Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I started on progesterone shots post 5-day FET (pgt-a and pgt-m). I was miserable. I'd communicated my vulnerability to hormones early on, and it became so drastic I had to demand some sort of change in the treatment or I would not be able to be a functional mother for my current daughter. The nurse told me they couldn't 'make me' take the medication, as in I could either proceed with no change and suffer, or make my own call to completely stop treatment at 6 weeks post-transfer. Something somehow finally got through to Dr Thornton and I was switched to thrice daily endometrin pills + twice daily vaginal suppositories. This produced some nausea but SIGNIFICANTLY improved mood. It took too much and too long to get me to that change. And i had to demand it for myself.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Nursing staff repeatedly had to be followed up with in order to get the full information i needed. On multiple occasions I was chasing people down nearly the end of the day to acquire extremely time sensitive prescriptions - including trigger shot over a holiday weekend! They are impossible to reach - no direct lines or emails. And one nurse when i told her i was suffering on my treatment told me i didn't 'have' to continue the medication, rather than work with me to consult the dr for a mitigated treatment plan.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I expect the clinic's strength is in the sheer volume of patients and cases they have treated. This is a double edged sword, however, in that you become just one of those numbers - and statistics - that contributes to their overall rates. Honestly I felt like I was seen as an easy opportunity to achieve an 'under 35 live birth on the first implant' in order to boost their numbers, and I was given 0 personal attention or care. When I awoke from being put under to have my eggs retrieved, a person I'd never seen before merely said to me 'what does your phone case look like'. That was honestly the first thing someone said to me when I came to. That is the kind of treatment you can expect.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York.
Honestly I haven't heard from the billing department once since starting this process. I've tracked my own expenses - thank god? - but no one has updated me or followed up with me. At this point I'm honestly wondering whether I even have a chart over there. I'm estimating the entire process (egg retrieval, testing, FET) cost about 40k.
Describe Kimberley Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I'm not sure but we only transferred one with no discussion of multiples
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
-my follicles got jacked really quickly and i was beyond bloated. We were approaching fourth of july weekend and i was project managing to the extreme to ensure that my trigger shot order was put in and able to be picked up before everything closed. Literally 15 min before the specialty pharmacy closed for an extended weekend i was sprinting in to grab the trigger shot, after spending days playing telephone tag to ensure timing was correct and it was ordered. This was INSANE. -Then my initial Dr went on maternity leave in the middle of my cycle, and informed me two days prior. We were in the middle of interpreting and awaiting updated results on embryos from PGT-A and PGT-M, after coming back inconclusive. This was a shock. -Finally, I was beyond struggling with my progesterone protocol post-FET and was desperate to be tapered off at the earliest possibility. I was legitimately clinically depressed and conveyed this to a nurse upon hearing that my protocol would not be changing at all even by method. She told me that they can't 'make me' take the medicine, and that my two choices were essentially continue to suffer for the sake of the pregnancy, or just take myself off entirely, because they were providing no alleviation strategy. It was the most grotesque display of utter disregard for patient wellbeing, and frankly this nurse should reconsider her profession. After sending a desperate and dire email to my dr (thank god i randomly had her email) some change in protocol was suggested - suppositories and pills rather than shots. She then literally never followed up with me to check in on me after the switch. No call, no email. Nothing to confirm the switch in protocol was for the better. That was the final nail in the coffin for showing me how little RMA cared for me as a patient. -When I was able to come off the drugs entirely, I received a curt email: "Your levels are adequate and you can stop your endometrin today." This, after 40k and 8 months. Can you imagine? -I'm still waiting to hear from the nurse managers to discuss my experience. Nothing. No followup despite my explicit request to be contacted. And so here I am.
NY - Downtown

Dr. Sekhon was very empathetic and has an excellent bedside manner. Throughout the course of my treatment I felt that she listened to my concerns and made appropriate adjustments to treatment plans. I wish that I had more time with her and could see her during all my appointments but it seems the practice is extremely busy. ... She is empathetic and relatable.
There are a huge number of patients [at RMA of New York]. I believe that the doctors and nurses are likely taxed from the numbers of patients and that care suffers as a result. ... The finance department broke down the billing with line items which was helpful but I wish I had gotten it earlier in the process in order to plan ahead. ... Some of the explanations of procedures seem a bit rote, which I imagine comes from the volume of patients they see.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She gives a lot of information, which is helpful, but can sometimes be overwhelming in the moment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
She is empathetic and relatable.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
There are a huge number of patients. I believe that the doctors and nurses are likely taxed from the numbers of patients and that care suffers as a result. Some of the explanations of procedures seem a bit rote, which I imagine comes from the volume of patients they see.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York.
The IUIs were covered by my insurance but IVF was not. It was over $20,000 with medication. The finance department broke down the billing with line items which was helpful but I wish I had gotten it earlier in the process in order to plan ahead.
Describe Lucky Sekhon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr. Sekhon preferred eSET

2020, Unsuccessful
To be honest, I had very little interaction with Dr. Thornton. She lets most of the nurses do the heavy lifting which is why things like PCOS were not caught. The only thing that was caught was hypothyroidism which I am very grateful for (but easy to catch with the TSH number).... If following the herd and approaching medicine with standardized approaches doesn't bother you, then Dr. Thornton is a good fit because she explains things quickly and will get you started quickly. But if you'd like a more customized approach, or an approach that does not leave any health issues out, then you're better off somewhere else.
This place [RMA of New York] is a bit of a factory and impersonal. They will move you quickly though. Because of the quick movement, they may not catch important things. There's no portal so communication is incredibly difficult.... Disorganized (maybe due to Covid, but that seems to be everyone's line), things were missed, and getting the results is a total pain.... The lady who took my blood was great! She was caring. However, everyone else was hard to track down. Gave fuzzy information. And never called when they said they would.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
If you have an easy issue, I am sure Dr. Thornton will be a good match. For me, it didn't work out because I felt a lot of things were really haphazard. My PCOS was not detected by her team (which should be been able to be seen from bloodwork). It also really bothered me that there was no portal to receive results. You are at the mercy of her team of nurses and they all overburdened.
To be honest, I had very little interaction with Dr. Thornton. She lets most of the nurses do the heavy lifting which is why things like PCOS were not caught. The only thing that was caught was hypothyroidism which I am very grateful for (but easy to catch with the TSH number). Clomid (which was the standard that Dr. Thornton prescribed) should not be prescribed for people who have PCOS and PCOS was indicated in my blood results.
5 days of clomid (dose was double what it should have been) + 1 ovidrel shot + 1 IUI. Clomid should not be prescribed for PCOS. Triggers OHSS. Originally, my husband and I had come to her for sperm issues, but after taking a whole round of clomid, it was discovered that I have hypothyroidism. What was not detected was PCOS.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This place is a bit of a factory and impersonal. They will move you quickly though. Because of the quick movement, they may not catch important things. There's no portal so communication is incredibly difficult.
This is a hilarious question. I have yet to reach the finance team (4 attempts so far). I am expecting some ridiculous bill that will come out of no where.
NY - Downtown
I had a great first impression. I felt that he [Dr. Stein] really wanted the best for me. However, he was very disengaged and not compassionate...I felt like I needed to constantly follow up and remind them of my situation...He will only allow single and he picked the embryo...[new patient advice] Have thick skin and be prepared to be treated like a number.
They [RMA of NY staff] really need to check into things and not just assume and bill you for things they shouldn't. They should make sure to put miscarried woman in the separate room so they don't hear other babies heartbeats...[cost] about 6k out of pocket...I felt like I needed to constantly follow up and remind them of my situation
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I had a great first impression. I felt that he really wanted the best for me. However, he was very disengaged and not compassionate. I truly feel that a women is best when going through something like this.
Have thick skin and be prepared to be treated like a number.
I felt like I needed to constantly follow up and remind them of my situation. I was always billed wrong or told the wrong things from the teeny bopper coordinators they have.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Eliza)
I absolutely love Eliza, she is warm, compassionate and understanding. I absolutely adore her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They really need to check into things and not just assume and bill you for things they shouldn't. They should make sure to put miscarried woman in the separate room so they don't hear other babies heartbeats.
about 6k out of pocket
Describe Daniel Stein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
He will only allow single and he picked the embryo.
NY - Westside

She [Dr. Kimberly Thornton] sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results...It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks...Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions...During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes...not value evidence-based treatment...The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.
The biggest problem or RMA is communication. There is no patient portal and you can only get partial verbal information from a phone call from a nurse. RMA does not provide a consistent treatment procedure. The experiences are very different based on your doctor and nurse...For IUI, RMA took bloodwork on Day 3 and will send an email to let you know when to come in for ultrasound and trigger shot and the date for IUI. During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes. RMA does not share that information by default. Nurse
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results. RMA does not provide a patient portal system and she does not share all the test results, not mention to review them or responds to them. It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks.
If you are under 35-year old, lucky and healthy, it might be OK to work with Dr. Thornton. If you are older and cannot waste your time, do not work with her. Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions.
Dr. Thornton is warm and polite. However, the whole process is a one-way approach. She applies the same treatments and has never adjusted them based on the test results or previous failure cycle. She is not interested in increasing my odds but sales the treatment cycle one after another.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Moro)
The nurse plays a key role in IVF and IUI procedure. Melissa tends to ignore emails and has never clearly explained the procedure. She fails to communicate all of my test results or check my records. When she is on vacation, no one coves her duty. Things can easily fall through cracks. It is nerve-breaking to work with her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I pay co-pays and medication for IUI procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Dr. Thornton and her team do not value evidence-based treatment. They do not communicate, review all test results or investigate the best treatment for each person. The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.
NY - Downtown

When we spoke to Dr. Sekhon, she was warm and informative and great. But we rarely spoke to her unless we emailed to reach out proactively.... Dr. Sekhon is very informative and when we speak with her, she is thorough in her responses (vs on email sometimes we have to ask multiple questions to gain full clarity).... Visit the downtown office in Soho if you want to see her. You need to actively email her and set up a call to really gain clarity.
RMA is a factory and we are all just a number. There is no link between IVF coordinators and finance which resulted in miscommunication between them to me, and I had to pay for my first cycle out of pocket as we were still waiting for insurance approval. There have been other instances where a nurse called and told me to "take the trigger tonight, and see you on Sunday for the IUI" without mention of timing for either!
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
We really like Dr. Sekhon when we speak with her, but it's rare. Our issue is mainly with RMA and how its run and the human error that occurs with the nurses on an almost regular basis. Dr. Sekhon is very informative and when we speak with her, she is thorough in her responses (vs on email sometimes we have to ask multiple questions to gain full clarity).
Describe the protocols Lucky Sekhon used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
First protocol was Gonal F + Menopur + Microdose Lupron which resulted in 4 retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI and 1 sent for PGS. Second protocol included estrogen patch + Gonal F + Menopur which resulted in 2 retrieved, 2 fertilized with ICSI and 1 fresh transfer.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Our lead IVF coordinator was amazing. But the nurses that called with information each time after a morning monitoring were sometimes not clear with instructions / next steps.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Can be a long wait but it's pretty expected so not a huge issue
approx 14k per ivf cycle not including meds
RMA does not practice multiple embryo transfer (or at least it was not an option given to me, although in conversations after my failed transfer, Dr Sekhon said she would petition to their board to consider a multiple embryo transfer with my history)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
They have called without giving me full information. I also learned that the nurse told me one thing about my embroys and later on the doctor said that was not the right information.
NY - Westside

5 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Kim Thornton] rarely made herself available to speak with me regarding medication questions and concerns I had. I found her to be detached, inconsiderate, and lacking in empathy...When I asked her about some of the emerging trends in medical journals regarding new treatment approaches for women my age she was not aware of them. I do not believe she fully evaluated my prior protocols to appropriately consider making modifications as she insisted on continuing with a treatment protocol that had failed twice.
I was covered by insurance for my treatments and medications (which was confirmed in advance by their billing department), however RMA still required me to pay $2000 (just in case)...I felt most times I was in the office for monitoring that I was part of a cattle-call. they also overcharge patients and are very slow to reimburse for overcharges...The nursing staff treated patients like cattle. It was very difficult to get them on the phone to answer questions or request information.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton lacks both compassion and apparent scholarship. When I asked her about some of the emerging trends in medical journals regarding new treatment approaches for women my age she was not aware of them. I do not believe she fully evaluated my prior protocols to appropriately consider making modifications as she insisted on continuing with a treatment protocol that had failed twice. She did not listen to my needs or concerns as a patient and made me fel very devalued. She lacked a signifcant degree of compassion for my unique circumstances.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Consider choosing a more scholarly, engaged and empathetic Provider. Dr. Thornton is none of these.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton rarely made herself available to speak with me regarding medication questions and concerns I had. I found her to be detached, inconsiderate, and lacking in empathy
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
She kept my doses very high of Follistim (from prior two cycles) despite my asking for an adjustment. She also added additional Menopur and LEtrozole over the amounts used in my prior cycles. I suggested that she was over-medicating me she did not heed my concerns. I ended up developing very three large follicular cysts which were atretic (like my prior two cycles) and her other follicles failed to grow after a certain point.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
When you leave RMA you have the lingering sense of "quantity over quality." I felt most times I was in the office for monitoring that I was part of a cattle-call. they also overcharge patients and are very slow to reimburse for overcharges.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
As previously mentioned it was an extensive cattle-call. Medical Assistants were also not very adept at venipuncture nor did they listen to my specific requirements which resulted in multiple punctures (more than 5 on one occasion)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During one examination a physician told me that my follicles (5 of them) had magically disappeared. Despite this distressing news (which was inaccurate), I could not get my physician on the phone to clarify this alarming statement. The nurses failed to order my trigger shot and did not realize the error until the day of my trigger. As previously mentioned, Dr. Thornton over-medicated me which led to poor results.
NY - Downtown

Dr. Sandler monitoring visits were always very quick and i felt he treated me as an ignorant patient who was asking silly questions. He performed none of my retrieval or transfers...I had a 9 week miscarriage and booked a follow up appointment with him 4 weeks later...with no apology whatsoever from his side, and a statement that my embryo didn't look good in the first place so there was no hope for it to survive (which was never mentioned to me before).
I have a lifetime coverage that was used fully for 2 rounds of IVF. My extras [at RMA of New York] included about 7000+ for medication, 2000 for freezing, and 3000 PGS...RMA East side has a lot of patients and it can give the sense of being in a factory. The clinic is clean and the nurses are well prepared, but the receptionists and some phone ladies can be very rude and really impersonal...Katrina [nurse] is fantastic, empathetic, professional and really helpful and informative. The other nurses were also ok, but not all very helpful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is an expert in this field, but lacks the human touch that people who must rely to IVF want to see in a doctor. He did not respect my feelings nor my time as a patient. The first round of IVF was very much of a trial with a limited number of eggs retrieved and transferred before reaching the blastocyst stage. As I agreed to do PGS for the second round, I received much more attention and information by dr. Sandler although he was never so positive it would work (while it did).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
If you are looking for an empathetic doctor who is willing and able to listen, explore other options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler monitoring visits were always very quick and i felt he treated me as an ignorant patient who was asking silly questions. He performed none of my retrieval or transfers as there have always been other (much nicer) doctors from RMA on duty when I was scheduled to retrieve/transfer. This was good for me, but I never appreciated having to stick to dr. Sandler for the monitoring part as he was definitely careless about the time patients were waiting in the waiting area. I had a 9 week miscarriage and booked a follow up appointment with him 4 weeks later at 10am to discuss the issue and way forward. Despite being the only person waiting in the waiting room and having an appointment, I was called in at 11am. Basically a full morning lost (I have a 9-5 job) with no apology whatsoever from his side, and a statement that my embryo didn't look good in the first place so there was no hope for it to survive (which was never mentioned to me before).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Katrina is fantastic, empathetic, professional and really helpful and informative. The other nurses were also ok, but not all very helpful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring rooms and machines were clean and well functioning. The main negative side was the lengthy wait, not only due to the number of people ahead of me, but due to dr. Sandler having one on one discussions with his fellows during monitoring hours which in one occasion resulted in making me (and other patients) wait 1.5 hrs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
I have a lifetime coverage that was used fully for 2 rounds of IVF. My extras included about 7000+ for medication, 2000 for freezing, and 3000 PGS.
NY - Eastside

At the end of the day, my IVF procedure worked and I am pregnant. I transitioned to Dr. Sekhon from a doctor who left the clinic and the transition was messy and often fraught with bad communication and lack of compassion...she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email... treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
RMA doesn’t really allow the conversation of having more than one egg transferred OR discounting subsequent transfer cycles for patients under 35...At times in the process you can definitely feel that RMA is more concerned with their own stats than your individual patient case. They are rigid in their standards (which are top notch) but sometimes to a fault..The phlebotomist is really great at RMA! Also shoutout to Nurse Melissa who is lovely and often went above and beyond. I felt she explained things to me in a way doctor Sekhon was not capable of and always showed compassion. The coordinator, Jennifer, is sweet and was helpful but definitely inexperienced.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Ask all the questions- she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email.
Dr. Sekhon treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
I believe I did the antagonist protocol and had to do 13 days of shoes because my follicles took awhile to develop.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Needle)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call and often created conflicts with work because they were completely inflexible. The front desk admin sent out bloodwork for the day multiple times before monitoring hours were over, leading to issues with same day results.
I had insurance coverage that was capped at $10k for lifetime maximum so paid a few thousand out of pocket at least . I was ultimately able to get my medications covered but only because someone from Glow suggested I fight for it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The clinic and transition between doctors felt at times messy. In particular, the receptionist/admin had a terrible attitude and was hard to navigate.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Thornton is great at following standard operating procedures, but doesn't provide a high quality of care. She is incredibly risk averse. I often felt I knew more about my course of treatment through internet research then what she was able to tell me. She doesn't seem to care about her patients and doesn't always follow through on what she describes as "next steps" in course of treatment. After 3 years, I feel like I can't trust her and have little confidence in what she says.
The nursing staff [at RMA of New York]... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized...Monitoring was awful. A room full of dozens of women waiting to be seen. Wait times were erratic. Sometimes it was 10 minutes, sometimes it was an hour and 10 minutes...During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Don't bother... find another doctor.
At RMA, expect to feel like a one of thousands of patients that are pushed through the system. You won't be allowed to speak to someone when you call. You won't actually see your doctor when you have an appointment. When you do manage to see your doctor, they will not follow through on what they said in previous appointments. If you have thoughts on your treatment, they won't listen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nursing staff... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized. If I wasn't an organized intelligent and highly educated person... I wouldn't have had the medication I needed to continue with treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The phlebatomist is the only pleasant person who knows what she is doing and does it well. The receptionist is awful. She's cosntantly scowling and rude to patients. Her temperament would be better suited for someone who didn't have to interact with people. During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
NY - Downtown

Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way.... Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace,
Convenient locations [RMANY] and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file....My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way. I started treatment when I was 32 - she basically told me I could or could not do PGS testing given my age. 4 transfers later with 2 miscarriages (1 ectopic) and 2 failed transfers I am frustrated that little was changed from cycle to cycle and we were encouraged to make other changes (such as PGS testing or supplemental changes).
She is great within RMA, but RMA has a million patients. If you are meeting the standard protocol, she is great, but may be less so with special cases.
Dr. Thornton personally called me many times and I know she truly cared about my outcome. That said, RMA is a huge clinic so she only had so much time to dedicate to an individual patient.
Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace, estrace patch and progesterone shots. After first pregnancy resulted in ectopic they added a baby aspirin. Only other change was in my fourth transfer, taking 1 dose of estrace vaginally to increase the thickness of my lining.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I had a few nurses call me most frequently. They were nice and very professional, but not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Convenient locations and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Madison office is a nightmare. They often opened late at the Downtown facility, but the staff there is great.
Covered by insurance. Probably paid $2K out of pocket.
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I wish the rationale (eSET) had been explained to me more BEFORE my treatment. I think given my weight they considered it far too risky to have twins or other multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During my ectopic pregnancy, I was given no warning and told I had to come in for shots at 3:30pm by the EOD (5pm) all the way uptown. This resulted in me looking unprofessional in my job, not to mention the emotional turmoil. My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
NY - Downtown

I only saw Dr Grunfeld during the initial consultation on how I wanted to proceed with my frozen eggs. He seemed somewhat indifferent during the discussion.... He didn’t seem particularly thorough compared to other fertility doctors I have seen, nor did he seem compassionate... That said, my bigger problems were with the clinic [RMA of NY], which made numerous mistakes during the process...but should go back to better doctor oversight
I don’t say this lightly, but truly feel the clinic [RMA of NY] is just trying to make money and doesn’t have the patients best interest in mind.... Having been to 2 other clinics previously,this was by far the worst experience. Communication was non-existent to terrible. I had to do intramuscular shots - no one showed me how to do them, just sent a video link. The video was inaccurate, which caused me to incorrectly administer the shots and caused extreme pain at the injection site.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
I only saw him to use eggs that had been previously frozen by RMA (with a different doctor that had left the practice). He didn’t seem particularly thorough compared to other fertility doctors I have seen, nor did he seem compassionate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
The clinic as a whole felt like they are just a money making machine and don’t care about patient results. I only saw Dr Grunfeld during the initial consultation on how I wanted to proceed with my frozen eggs. He seemed somewhat indifferent during the discussion. That said, my bigger problems were with the clinic, which made numerous mistakes during the process...but should go back to better doctor oversight (eg, forgot about prescribing and telling my husband to take antibiotics before giving his sample - luckily we have been through this enough at other clinics that we knew to ask)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Having been to 2 other clinics previously,this was by far the worst experience. Communication was non-existent to terrible. I had to do intramuscular shots - no one showed me how to do them, just sent a video link. The video was inaccurate, which caused me to incorrectly administer the shots and caused extreme pain at the injection site. I called immediately and was just told to do it the same way the next night and a nurse would show me next time I was in the office. I could barely walk for days due to this. When I complained later, I was told that they knew the videos weren’t right and were remaking them. Additionally they forgot to prescribe and tell my husband to take antibiotics the night before they needed his sample. Luckily we caught the mistake and asked about it.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I don’t say this lightly, but truly feel the clinic is just trying to make money and doesn’t have the patients best interest in mind. Compared to other places we have been, I can’t come up with a single strength for this place
Lawrence Grunfeld

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
I have spoken with Dr. Mukherjee once every 6 months or so. ... Dr. Mukherjee conducted one out of 5 IUIs. ... Dr. Muhkerjee, when I did get a chance to meet with him has been very nice. When having phone consultations, things seem very rushed and he gave more directives than an opportunity to figure out what wasn't working. ... I was informed that my BMI was too high so I met with the nutritionist, who helped bring that down so I could take Clomid and have less of a risk of a heart attack with the lower BMI.
They have several offices that are clean and well maintained, which is a strength. They do not have a good communication system, there is no where to speak with the doctor directly. The nurses always call back if you have a question, which is fine for some things but sometimes you just need to talk to your doctor. ... I have met with my "primary nurse" about once since 2016 and when speaking to her on the phone, she comes off as very dismissive.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
One piece of advice, don't expect him to be the only doctor that you meet with at RMA of NY. I have had at least 4 different doctors perform my IUIs (I've had 5 to-date).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
Dr. Mukherjee conducted one out of 5 IUIs. I mostly speak with whichever nurse gets my message, although I have been assigned one. I have spoken with Dr. Mukherjee once every 6 months or so.
Describe the protocols Tanmoy Mukherjee used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I was informed that my BMI was too high so I met with the nutritionist, who helped bring that down so I could take Clomid and have less of a risk of a heart attack with the lower BMI. That's about all that I could remember.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Julie (Last name unknown))
I felt like the entire office runs more like a factory than a doctor's office. When being contacted by phone, it just is a list of things for me to do. Most of the time, things that did not work out, such as where to pick up my medication or timeliness of them putting the medication into the pharmacy. Some of the nurses seemed ok but you don't get an opportunity to know any of them well enough to build a trusting relationship.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They have several offices that are clean and well maintained, which is a strength. They do not have a good communication system, there is no where to speak with the doctor directly. The nurses always call back if you have a question, which is fine for some things but sometimes you just need to talk to your doctor. And when the nurse calls back, it may not be the same nurse each time. I have met with my "primary nurse" about once since 2016 and when speaking to her on the phone, she comes off as very dismissive. Another strength are the women that sit in the front, as they seem much more personable and help with the ease of checking out of the office after your visit.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York.
My insurance does not cover IUI treatments and they quoted me a bundle cost of $700 per cycle. I had to call my insurance for clarification, as the "financial coordinator" that I was assigned provided my inaccurate information.
Describe Tanmoy Mukherjee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
N/A at this time.
Tanmoy Mukherjee
NY - Eastside

I found Dr. Thornton to be very nice and she did spend time with us during consults. But I also felt like her advice was cookie cutter and not specific to our situation. She was rushed through all of our exams and only performed one of my IUI's herself, which was also incredibly brief...The attention to detail and individual patient experience just wasn't there for us.
RMA is so big. It's like going to Amazon.com for fertility care. There are benefits to being big, one of which is that they have to report their success numbers and thusly want and need to see real results. But being a huge clinic also means you definitely feel like a number, just being processed in a system...It wasn't until I went to a different doctor and had a much better and more thorough experience that I realized how off the whole RMA experience was.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
I found Dr. Thornton to be very nice and she did spend time with us during consults. But I also felt like her advice was cookie cutter and not specific to our situation. She was rushed through all of our exams and only performed one of my IUI's herself, which was also incredibly brief. I'd later learn from a different doctor that my cervix is has a deep curve and it is actually pretty challenging to get the catheter into my uterus to do the IUI. Considering how lightning fast and completely painless all of my IUI's at RMA were, it's likely they were never even placing the sperm inside my uterus at all. So I would say the speed at which thing are handled by Dr. Thornton and other RMA doctors is problematic. The attention to detail and individual patient experience just wasn't there for us.
I would say come in with ever question you have ready to go for each visit. If you get to see her during a cycle, your time with her will be brief so make sure you know what you want to ask.
Dr. Thornton is very nice and during the initial consult for IUI and then IVF, she did give us a lot of time to talk things through. But when it came to the actual visits for the IUI's, everything felt really rushed and like I was just a number they were ushering through the system. If she was around to do my mid-cycle ultrasound she would comment on the same things each time. And each visit was remarkably quick. At the time I thought it was normal and that they just had a lot of patients. It wasn't until I went to a different doctor and had a much better and more thorough experience that I realized how off the whole RMA experience was.
For all three of my IUI cycles, I took clomid for 5 days and did the ovidrel shot for ovulation. She explained that this was the best option for people with unexplained infertility, but I can't remember the exact reasoning now. No changes were made to the drug course and no one made sure the timing was exact and certainly the IUI's went faster than they likely should have. We did not get pregnant from any of the IUI's.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
There were many times when I arrived at RMA and when the nurses called me they wouldn't even give me instructions for what was about to happen. For example my first time for my mid-cycle ultrasound, I had to ask if I was supposed to undress from the waist down. I think the nurses were overwhelmed because RMA is a busy place, but yeah, it just felt like we really weren't important there.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is so big. It's like going to Amazon.com for fertility care. There are benefits to being big, one of which is that they have to report their success numbers and thusly want and need to see real results. But being a huge clinic also means you definitely feel like a number, just being processed in a system. And there were a lot of small slip-ups at RMA, like the fact that my husband and I hadn't even said we were ready for an IVF cycle and the billing department started emailing me for my credit card information. I know mistakes like that could happen anywhere, but I think if RMA was smaller it would be easier to keep track of these things.
Each IUI cycle cost $700. Consultations with Dr. Thornton were $150. My insurance covers no treatments at all so it was all out of pocket for me.
We did a consult about IVF and I believe Dr. Thonrton felt eSET was the only safe way to go, but I'm not 100% positive about that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
As I mentioned there were issues with an assumption that I was starting an IVF cycle and reaching out for billing info when I hadn't agreed to starting yet. Also, the records at RMA aren't in a digital portal so getting a copy of my records to bring to another doctor took over 2 weeks. 2 weeks might not sound like a big deal, but when every cycle counts when you're trying to conceive, 2 weeks can throw the timing off of a next cycle where you wanted to start treatment.
NY - Downtown
I saw Dr. Stein for a long time. He has a lot of patients. I needed to explain my backstory to him each time and felt he never knew or remembered who I was even after many IUIs and a couple IVF cycles...has been doing this for a very long time and knows his stuff. However his overconfidence was off putting to me. He talked a big game about how great and successful IVF is however I felt he did not give me realistic expectations for my own situation. I also felt that he has the same protocol for everyone and does not waiver from that. I felt that he has no bed side manner and bushed aside many of my concerns. New Patient Advice
RMA is huge. I spoke with countless nurses. They were all competent and compassionate...a factory. But it's a well oiled factory. During the week I'd go to the West side office and the wait was really hit or miss. Sometime I'd show up at 8am and be out in 15min. Sometimes I'd show up at 8am and wait 45min to be seen. On the weekends you must go to the east side office. This was usually very crowded with wait times of 1hr +.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr. Stein has been doing this for a very long time and knows his stuff. However his overconfidence was off putting to me. He talked a big game about how great and successful IVF is however I felt he did not give me realistic expectations for my own situation. I also felt that he has the same protocol for everyone and does not waiver from that. I felt that he has no bed side manner and bushed aside many of my concerns.
Don't expect to see him for monitoring or egg retrieval. Also if you are someone who does a lot of research and wants to be very informed consider someone else. If you want to not do a lot of research on your own and want follow the recommendations of a confident competent doctor, consider him.
Dr Stein always recommends a freeze all cycle with PGS testing and single embryo transfers. As a low responder, I decided this is not the treatment plan I want to follow and have since switched doctors.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is definitely a factory. But it's a well oiled factory. During the week I'd go to the West side office and the wait was really hit or miss. Sometime I'd show up at 8am and be out in 15min. Sometimes I'd show up at 8am and wait 45min to be seen. On the weekends you must go to the east side office. This was usually very crowded with wait times of 1hr +.
I had insurance but paid OOP for some services. I believe ICSI cost $2500 and PGS testing $1500.
Dr. Stein will only transfer 1 embryo.
NY - Westside

Dr. Lekovich was great in terms of taking time to answer my questions and she was compassionate to my situation. I feel like what was not communicated to me was the possible outcomes after the retrieval in terms of what to expect regarding the number of eggs retrieved, embryos fertilized and how many may not be viable.... Due to my situation, she tried to be as aggressive as possible while being safe to retrieve enough eggs to give us options.
The nurses [RMA of New York] were great but the coordinator staff and reception is severely lacking. They are not one and the same. The coordinators tend to be very disorganized and are not proactive in managing your care. Be sure to ask questions and keep track of everything on your own as you'll need to cross-check their communication.... This clinic has great doctors and nursing staff. The facilities are also great and the pricing comparable to other places. The area of needed growth is in the coordinator team.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Ask what to expect.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
She is very warm and remembered my personal situation when I was with her.
Describe the protocols Jovana Lekovich used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses were great but the coordinator staff and reception is severely lacking. They are not one and the same. The coordinators tend to be very disorganized and are not proactive in managing your care. Be sure to ask questions and keep track of everything on your own as you'll need to cross-check their communication.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This clinic has great doctors and nursing staff. The facilities are also great and the pricing comparable to other places. The area of needed growth is in the coordinator team. They are often unavailable or appear to be frustrated with you anytime you have questions for them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York.
Approximately $18,000 for the cycle including $750 for anesthesia. Medications ranged an additional $5000-6000.
Brooklyn

I constantly feel like I’m taking up his [Dr. Stein] time, annoying him with all my questions. He seems reluctant to talk to me, and doesn’t seem to pay any special attention to the specifics of my situation. ... When I had a miscarriage he never contacted me to talk. I had to call the office and begged to speak to him. I don’t understand why he is treating my case like this. ... During an endometrial biopsy, I made a noise because it hurt, and he said to me “don’t do that.” I felt awful.
Everyone [RMA of NY] seems knowledgeable but not great about financial support or navigating bills. Or any questions to be honest. Be prepared to have to make a huge effort to get people to talk to you, or explain things to you medically or financially. ... They [nurses] generally seem to be too busy. And when they call, their tone is way too obvious about whether they have good or bad news.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Many of my friends go to RMA, but see other doctors. They are shocked when I describe how I am being treated. During an endometrial biopsy, I made a noise because it hurt, and he said to me “don’t do that.” I felt awful. When I had a miscarriage he never contacted me to talk. I had to call the office and begged to speak to him. I don’t understand why he is treating my case like this.
Go to someone else at RMA.
I constantly feel like I’m taking up his time, annoying him with all my questions. He seems reluctant to talk to me, and doesn’t seem to pay any special attention to the specifics of my situation.
We did a few IUIs (with clomid)but since none were successful. Then we did an egg retrieval and got 4 embryos. Did transfer after genetic testing but it failed. So he did the endometrial biopsy which was positive, put me on antibiotics, and then I got pregnant on my own but miscarried.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
They generally seem to be too busy. And when they call, their tone is way too obvious about whether they have good or bad news. It’s ridiculous.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Everyone seems knowledgeable but not great about financial support or navigating bills. Or any questions to be honest. Be prepared to have to make a huge effort to get people to talk to you, or explain things to you medically or financially.
Each part of the process was thousands of dollars.
Glad he only does one embryo transfer at a time. I didn’t want multiple.
NY - Westside
You don't see him [Dr. Grifo] often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)... Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle
Strengths [of RMA NY]: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.... IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
How was your experience with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
You don't see him often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid of being proactive: and be specific with questions to take advantage of his knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Thoughtful discussion of my background, warm coupled with insight and knowledge. Conversational, but direct.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle and ovulation with trigger shot but did not result in pregnancy. Trying again next cycle did not produce a follicle, neither did just a higher dose of letrozole. Currently preparing for IVF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I know several of the nurses by name, they are super friendly and helpful, and responsive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at RMA of New York.
IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
James Grifo

2019, Consult
I only had a consultation with him [Dr. Copperman]. He said I could call or email with any concerns but then when I left and tried to call or email they said to speak to the nurses or coordinators. Im trying to decide if I should move forward with him... He seems really nice but I havent gone through with the treatment yet.... They [RMA] are very responsive via email. The finance department told me exactly what I would be paying for and how much. Im concerned about the price and am shopping around.
They [RMA] are very responsive via email. The finance department told me exactly what I would be paying for and how much. Im concerned about the price and am shopping around....I have insurance they said it was $8k out of pocket.... I only had a consultation with him [Dr. Copperman]. He said I could call or email with any concerns but then when I left and tried to call or email they said to speak to the nurses or coordinators.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
I only had a consultation with him. He said I could call or email with any concerns but then when I left and tried to call or email they said to speak to the nurses or coordinators. Im trying to decide if I should move forward with him or Nejat at Generation Next. RMA told me that with insurance it would be $8k. Nejat wont tell me how much it will cost yet.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Im not sure yet. He seems really nice but I havent gone through with the treatment yet.
Describe the protocols Alan Copperman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I cant say yet as I havent moved forward with treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They are very responsive via email. The finance department told me exactly what I would be paying for and how much. Im concerned about the price and am shopping around. They said it would cost 8k. That is a lot for me out of pocket.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Copperman at RMA of New York.
I have insurance they said it was $8k out of pocket.
2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Stein is knowledgeable and a straight-shooter. I appreciated that he shared his opinion and recommendations on my IVF decisions and personally answered any questions I had in our consults and over email. I highly recommend Dr. Stein if you are looking for clarity and don't need to be coddled. My fertility journey is over, thank goodness, but I find myself missing Dr. Stein's wry sense of humor. I kind of wish he were my OB!...
RMA's paperwork isn't all that clear...Take good notes during your meetings...My nurse was very friendly and accommodating, but I often felt like I was the one keeping the records, not her...I'd have to remind the clinic to order tests and send in prescriptions that were specifically requested by my doctor and nurse. Everything always turned out fine, but I felt like I needed to stay on top of my protocol in order to double-check the clinic's work.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Take good notes during your meetings with Dr. Stein, because RMA's paperwork isn't all that clear.
Dr. Stein asked personal questions and got to know me, my partner, and my family—all information that he included in his treatment plan.
I forgot most of the protocols, but after three rounds of IVF and only one grade C embryo, Dr. Stein urged me to consider donor eggs. If he hadn't come right out and said it, I can imagine I would have put myself through the emotional and financial strain of another three cycles. I'm so grateful for Dr. Stein's mercifully candid advice.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara Berg)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a factory, which I mean in both a good and a bad way. RMA is HUGE and they've got the fertility program DOWN. You get the impression that nothing would faze them; they've got an answer and a workaround for everything. The downside is that RMA can feel like an assembly line set to run a little too fast. On multiple occasions, I'd have to remind the nurses about my test results, my medication schedule, and more. I suspect that their patient records are scribbled in crayon and filed between take-out menus, because no one seemed to have a 100% grasp of what was going on. I dealt with it by being super-organized and knowledgable about my own protocol, and if you can deal with that, you'll be fine.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Weekend mornings, all monitoring is funneled to a single clinic location, so there would be a HUGE crowd and a long wait. Otherwise, monitoring was efficient.
Dr. Stein prefers to transfer a single embryo.
NY - Westside

Dr. Copperman is an exceptional doctor and knows what he is doing. I trust hime with my medical care and although it has taken us awhile he is always ready to keep trying. However, he is not warm and fuzzy and this has been hard for us at times when we needed a bit of encouragement. He is very much a scientist reflecting on data and analysis to determine best course of treatment.... It can also be hard to get an appt with him as he is VERY busy so sometimes it seems that you speak via the nurses to him versus hearing your plan straight from your doctor.
RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm which is nice because you don't always get to do procedures with your doctor.... There were a few nurses that worked with Dr Copperman that would connect with you re results or directions for special procedures. They were all very upbeat, positive, warm, and excellent communicators. I really enjoy speaking with them. The rest of the nursing staff that took your blood is also very warm, efficient at taking your blood quickly.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman is an exceptional doctor and knows what he is doing. I trust hime with my medical care and although it has taken us awhile he is always ready to keep trying. However, he is not warm and fuzzy and this has been hard for us at times when we needed a bit of encouragement. He is very much a scientist reflecting on data and analysis to determine best course of treatment. I can't complain because we have so far gotten the results we wanted. So his system must work. It can also be hard to get an appt with him as he is VERY busy so sometimes it seems that you speak via the nurses to him versus hearing your plan straight from your doctor. RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm.
Ask a lot of questions so that you feel informed of what the next steps are. Dr Copperman has alot of statistics and that helped me make decisions as to do IUI or IVF. In that way he is super helpful on what success rate of each procedure is.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
RMA is very effecient and is able to see alot of patients at same time. Some of the nurses that you get to know are quite generous and warm and then you feel like a human. However, you rarely speak with your doctor unless you catch him during monitoring hours - so that makes you feel like a number.
Egg retrievals worked best for me when I took birth control pill for 1 month and then started menopur, follistum, and lupron. For FET I was on estradial pills, vaginal e-ring, and estrogen patch, and progesterone in oil via injection.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jordan)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a bit of a factory but it is convenient with quick monitoring hours available all over the city. And I have found the other doctors at RMA that I have seen during monitoring, egg retrieval, and FET transfer to be overwhelming competent and warm which is nice because you don't always get to do procedures with your doctor. It is also great that they call you with results / directions and then email them as well so you don't have to be worried if you didn't catch everything.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring was a well oiled machine. If we got there early enough it didn't ruin our day. And since there are locations all over the city it felt quite easy. And then we would treat ourselves for a nice breakfast before work.
About $13000 per egg retrieval / $3500 for FET transfer. $2000 PGSD for testing
Describe Alan Copperman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr Copperman would only transfer 1 embryo. He said statistically 1 embryo transfer is more successful and is safer for baby and mother. We went in originally wanting to transfer two embryos so we were a bit disappointed to hear he would only transfer one. However, we only have a few embryos so I think this route is much better for us health wise and strategically.

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Copperman is very knowledgeable in the field and seems to be on top of trends in the industry. In terms of personality, he is very robotic and difficult to engage. Over the course of treatment (including 3 transfers), he was seen only for the first...Dr. Copperman is exceedingly more of a researcher than a warm and caring doctor...Dr. Copperman also would not consider natural cycle for FET.
RMA is a factory, simply put. This isn’t entirely bad, as they seem to know what they are doing (for the most part) - but you will not be treated as an individual really in any way...you won’t get personalized care and you MUST stay on top of your own treatment and be your own advocate. There were multiple oversights in terms of my care and I was tested for things (that could have negatively impacted treatment success and turns out I had) only because I insisted on doing so.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Copperman is exceedingly more of a researcher than a warm and caring doctor. If you want warmth, compassion and a relationship, I’d go elsewhere.
Treatment protocols for egg retrievals were never changed or personalized, despite diminishing number of eggs retrieved each cycle as age increased. Dr. Copperman also would not consider natural cycle for FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dara)
As is the case with large practices, nurse staff quality ranges. We’ve had some very positive interactions and help from nurses, and then some major major oversights and multiple miscommunications in terms of medication instructions that we had to catch ourselves.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is a factory - again, this isn’t necessarily a bad thing but it does mean you won’t get personalized care and you MUST stay on top of your own treatment and be your own advocate. There were multiple oversights in terms of my care and I was tested for things (that could have negatively impacted treatment success and turns out I had) only because I insisted on doing so.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were typically smoothly run. They could get be crowded depending on the day, but most of all it was as positive an experience as possible.
IVF was not covered by insurance so costs were high - around $20,000 for egg retrivel and $4,000 for FET.
NY - Eastside

Dr. Sandler met with me ahead of the IVF and he had reviewed my file. During the cycle, I never saw him nor spoke to him. After a failed IVF, I had to make an appointment and waited two weeks to see him. There was little communication...I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions.
[RMA of New York] is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues...There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
I came with questions and he answered all of them. But I had very little interaction with Dr Sandler - except for my first consultation and retrieval. He seemed to have little time for me and didn't answer my questions. I went to him because an acquaintance recommended him, but I would not have chosen him on my own - I should have listened to my gut.
Don't go to him if you're older and have poor egg quality. He is of the philosophy that the more medicine, the better.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
It was very cookie cutter Gonal F and Menopur, with higher and higher doses as my body didn't react well. There was no preparation of my body for the IVF, no estrogen patch. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. So high that I told the nurse this seems wrong, but they insisted everything was fine.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I had to call continually because nurses often failed to respond before 3pm. Which is stressful if you're doing an IVF the first time. They offered little information. In fact, my FSH was very high during the cycle. I told the nurse it seemed wrong and she dismissed my concerns. There was little personal attention.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This is a big place that takes insurance. The coordinator who I worked with was very attentive and helpful. But the size and cookie-cutter nature make this clinic a poor place for older women with egg quality issues.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call line, but I rarely waited more than 15 minutes. I was one of the first to enter, though.
My insurance covered most of the costs, except for a small co-pay.
Describe Benjamin Sandler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
This is a large clinic which does the basic care. No one will step in to salvage a cycle if it's not working, or double check that everything is ready to go. If you're young, this might be fine. But if you're older, this might not be the best fit.
NY - Eastside

[Dr. Lekovich] was not pushy with the options and let us make the decision. She is a firm believer about having 1 embryo implanted and voiced her concerns about twins. she was also open about adjusting medication according to reactions and what not. she is very forward and will let you know if she agrees with some things or not. I like that she is up to date on research and current treatment options. I do like that she does not do duplication of testing if it came back normal/out dated.
I personally thought that i would meet with MD herself [at RMA of New York]. When entering the room, she introduced us to a medical student. I was not informed about her and it honestly made the visit awkward and the student looked bored and made faces during the consult. I wish they would allow the patient to consent prior to the visit. I found it insensitive...I requested a nurse to contact me, she called on a private number and did not leave contact information. I called back and left her a message and never heard back. I was informed 3 weeks later that she was on maternity leave and "never received my message" (blood work done pre-procedure). I was then contacted by a nurse who was kind and answered all my questions
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
During the consultation she provided research information on the two options which she has provided us. She also referred us to a specialist for additional surgery/ second opinion and also provided us with research about treatment with out without the surgery. she was not pushy with the options and let us make the decision. She is a firm believer about having 1 embryo implanted and voiced her concerns about twins. she was also open about adjusting medication according to reactions and what not. she is very forward and will let you know if she agrees with some things or not. I like that she is up to date on research and current treatment options. I do like that she does not do duplication of testing if it came back normal/out dated.
I personally thought that i would meet with MD herself. When entering the room, she introduced us to a medical student. I was not informed about her and it honestly made the visit awkward and the student looked bored and made faces during the consult. I wish they would allow the patient to consent prior to the visit. I found it insensitive.
When i met with the Dr. she was kind and knowledgeable. During the consultation she has moments where she looked down and did not make eye contact, looked like she was trying to formulate her thoughts and was kind of distracted. So it was hard to see where she was going with non verbal body language. I thought she was checked out from our visit and wanted the visit to somewhat end earlier than expected. I was happy with the answers which she provided us, i just felt that eye contact would have made me feel more confident in her answer and knowing that took this visit just as seriously as we did.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I requested a nurse to contact me, she called on a private number and did not leave contact information. I called back and left her a message and never heard back. I was informed 3 weeks later that she was on maternity leave and "never received my message" (blood work done pre-procedure). I was then contacted by a nurse who was kind and answered all my questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I went to the Brooklyn clinic as it is smaller compared to the other locations and that is primary location for the MD. I liked that its a smaller office and staff and it doesn't make you feel like you're another number.
I had medical insurance and had an office visit and some testing done in the office. I did not do any treatment.
Describe Jovana Lekovich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
MD wanted 1 embryo transferred and i was inquiring about multiple. I explained why multiple and she dismissed it and explained her reasoning. She also reported that I am young and dont need to worry about doing treatment.... I wish she would have explained reasoning for 1 embryo vs.2 and to explain it deeper (in regards to my previous treatments/diagnosis). I felt it was very one sided on that decision and i was uncomfortable with her approach to that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During visit, I discussed with MD particular medications and the side affects of them. We discussed in length about which medications would be used. when meeting with coordinator, she did not receive the list of medication which we have agreed on. It took about several weeks for coordinator to confirm which medication would be used. Wrong medication was also faxed over to Pharmacy. I continued to receive conflicting information (which at no fault to MD) which left me uncomfortable. I also kept getting responses days/weeks later. due to the lack of responsiveness/several errors, I am uncomfortable continuing with the clinic for treatment. Every phone call or email left me second guessing/ with doubt. I wish i can trust the nurses/coordinators of this clinic but i have to do what works for me. I cannot start this process with conflicting information and its only the beginning stages.