Natan Bar-Chama

212-256-8200
311 North St
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

Dr. McAvey was very sympathetic and listened to our concerns. ... she didn't seem particularly resourceful when we were faced with the results of the initial workup. It turned out we had a combination of DOR and male factor infertility, and she immediately suggested donor eggs, which we weren't ready for. ... we were disappointed by the lack of real treatment strategies for using my own eggs first.
It's a large clinic with multiple locations and many patients, but the staff does make you feel like you are a human, which we really appreciated. (We didn't have much of an interaction beyond a few consultations and workup, because we went elsewhere for our actual treatment.) It felt like RMA is run well. Both our appointments were on time and we didn't have any billing issues. ...
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey was warm and compassionate. It put us at ease, but she didn't seem particularly resourceful when we were faced with the results of the initial workup. It turned out we had a combination of DOR and male factor infertility, and she immediately suggested donor eggs, which we weren't ready for. We wanted to try with my own eggs at least once before going down that route. We decided to consult elsewhere for a second opinion, as we weren't sure if Dr. McAvey had the expertise for us. The treatment plan she suggested was either donor eggs or cookie-cutter IVF that didn't seem tailored at all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey was very sympathetic and listened to our concerns. She was the first doctor we saw with our suspected infertility, and I appreciated being treated like a human when we were apprehensive and unsure what the future holds.
Describe the protocols Beth McAvey used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Her first suggestion was using donor eggs due to my low ovarian reserve/high FSH. While I understood that donor eggs would give us much higher potential for success, we were disappointed by the lack of real treatment strategies for using my own eggs first.
Beth McAvey
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr. Sandler made himself accessible for questions and to discuss changes in course of treatment, but did not present option other than injectables. Also, there was no sense of urgency in how I was treated or real discussion about the effects of time and delay...Be proactive and push communication...Standard IVF with injectable medication because of age and ovarian reserve. One cycle was converted to an IUI due to minimal response to medication and overall coverage limitations of insurance.
As a patient [at RMA of New York], I did not form any personal relationship with the nursing staff nor was any nurse educated about my specific case...Monitoring hours were a zoo...RMA is a mill, and I believe their approach is one that will only work for easy cases. The general refrain was "every cycle is different," without specifically addressing the individual patient. An assessment of my partner and us as a couple would also have been helpful.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Be proactive and push communication
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
RMA is a mill, the standard answer to questions about tailored treatment is "every cycle is different," and as a patient I was pushed to keep doing IVF cycles
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
As a patient, I did not form any personal relationship with the nursing staff nor was any nurse educated about my specific case.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were a zoo
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
approximately $25,000

2017, Unknown Success
Davis has good bedside manner. He's friendly and explains things well. He seems pretty sympathetic to what I'm going through. He doesn't necessarily give me any sense of hope for my case so I never really know what he's thinking but overall, my experience with him as my doc has been positive...Estrogen priming - started with this one because of my low AMH, high FSH. Didn't work. Only had one follicle so converted to IUI. Lupron microflare - about to start now.
strengths: clean, well-established, responsive. weaknesses: sometimes during monitoring hours, it can feel very factor farm like with all the women waiting...my husband went in for labwork once and they forgot to test him for something so he had to go back to get tested again...Davis has good bedside manner. He's friendly and explains things well. He seems pretty sympathetic to what I'm going through. He doesn't necessarily give me any sense of hope for my case so I never really know what he's thinking but overall, my experience with him as my doc has been positive.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Ask all of the questions! Email him with outstanding questions, he's very responsive.
Describe the protocols Joseph Davis used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Good. Pretty quick interaction with them but they're good.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Davis at RMA of New York.
15,200 or so per IVF cycle
2017, Unknown Success
[Dr. Joseph] Davis has good bedside manner. He's friendly and explains things well. He seems pretty sympathetic to what I'm going through. He doesn't necessarily give me any sense of hope for my case so I never really know what he's thinking but overall, my experience with him as my doc has been positive...Ask all of the questions! Don't feel bad about keeping him longer than you think you should.
strengths [of RMA of New York]: clean, well-established, responsive. weaknesses: sometimes during monitoring hours, it can feel very factor farm like with all the women waiting...my husband went in for labwork once and they forgot to test him for something so he had to go back to get tested again...15,200 or so per IVF cycle...Davis has good bedside manner. He's friendly and explains things well. He seems pretty sympathetic to what I'm going through. He doesn't necessarily give me any sense of hope for my case so I never really know what he's thinking but overall, my experience with him as my doc has been positive.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Good. Pretty quick interaction with them but they're good.
15,200 or so per IVF cycle
Brooklyn

He [Dr. Jeffrey Klein] was very informative and was very nice to us and respectable. Unfortunately he did not direct perform any procedures and the location we were sent to have our IUIs done treated us like just a number...When i wasnt getting pregnant, he adjusted my routine and then switched me to letrozole which then produced me with a positive test.
Wonderful doctors and [RMA of New York] offices but none of them perform the actual inseminations. They send you to manhattan in the middle of downtown with nightmare parking and send you to the business office where they treat you like a number...[nurses are] Friendly and knowledgeable...The consults and check ups felt intimate but for each insemination i was sent to another location where they treat you like a number
How was your experience with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
He was very informative and was very nice to us and respectable. Unfortunately he did not direct perform any procedures and the location we were sent to have our IUIs done treated us like just a number.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
Make sure you ask where and who will be doing the procedure. They don't inform you until after the fact that its all done in separate location
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Klein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I was young and healthy so they wasn't to much of a strategy just clomid to control ovulation and sync it according to IUIs scheduling. When i wasnt getting pregnant, he adjusted my routine and then switched me to letrozole which then produced me with a positive test.
Friendly and knowledgeable
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Wonderful doctors and offices but none of them perform the actual inseminations. They send you to manhattan in the middle of downtown with nightmare parking and send you to the business office where they treat you like a number
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York.
I was covered 60% through insurance the rest was billed
Describe Jeffrey Klein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.

2015 - 2016, Unsuccessful
I'm a science nerd so I appreciated having this information, but he [Dr Sandler] sometimes presented the information just as information giving me little indication as to how this information would affect my husband and I in real life. It seemed like he was using a "flow chart" of sorts where if treatment A didn't work then we move on to treatment B without necessarily considering me, my history or how the previous treatment went.
RMA is a huge practice. This has its benefits, but for me, it seemed to have more drawbacks...Each time I called I would have to give a brief overview of my history and a different person would contact me. There were times when I was given two different answers to the same question and had to navigate very confusing waters with little direction.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is incredibly knowledgeable and often explained what was going on in great, scientific detail. I'm a science nerd so I appreciated having this information, but he sometimes presented the information just as information giving me little indication as to how this information would affect my husband and I in real life. It seemed like he was using a "flow chart" of sorts where if treatment A didn't work then we move on to treatment B without necessarily considering me, my history or how the previous treatment went. He was somewhat personable, but I wouldn't say his bedside manner was always great. Sometimes it seemed as if he wanted to succeed with us more to advance his own ego than to give us sometime we want so badly.
Don't expect warm and fuzzy.
RMA is a huge practice. This has its benefits, but for me, it seemed to have more drawbacks. I never spoke directly with Dr. Sandler when I had a question or corner, nor did I have contact information for a specific nurse or assistant. Each time I called I would have to give a brief overview of my history and a different person would contact me. There were times when I was given two different answers to the same question and had to navigate very confusing waters with little direction. Everyone was nice enough, but many times I felt that the person I was dealing with was not looking at me as a human, with very complicated emotions surrounding infertility and the treatments I was going through.
We started with three cycles of IUI using the pill Letrozol and Ovidrel for the trigger shot. I was told each time I went for monitoring that I was responding well to the medication, but got a negative result each time. I don't recall having any side effects from the Letrozol. I bruised at the injection site from the Ovidrel (but I bruise easily in general). Then we moved on to a traditional IVF cycle. We used Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide, and Ovidrel again for the trigger shot. Giving the shots to myself wasn't as bad as I expected. I bruised at the injection sites (which you should try to vary as much as possible to avoid injuring the same spot repeatedly) and was sometimes red and irritated as well. I had a very "full" feeling with the injections (which I was told was normal bloating) and was sometimes uncomfortable for a few minutes after each shot (mostly with the Menopur and Cetrotide). We got 9 eggs from this cycle, and at the time were told this was a good number. Unfortunately, only 4 fertilized with ICSI (my husband had testicular cancer in 2013 so they did this because of his medical history) and by the time day 5 came around for the transfer only one was left (it was not at blastocyst stage yet, but they transferred it because it was all that we had and said there was still a chance that we could get pregnant). We did not, however. When we met with Dr. Sandler for a follow-up we were told that 9 eggs was not really a good number (not sure why we were told at the time that it was) and for someone my age and without any other obvious health issues they would have expected more (a doctor we saw before beginning this whole process brought up the idea of endometriosis but Dr. Sandler felt strongly that he did not need to investigate this further). We were also told that my right and left ovaries produced a different number of eggs during this cycle. Dr. Sandler said he would like to see more egg production and more even production between the two ovaries so he recommended another round of IVF but using what they called a "flare protocol". So for IVF round 2, I went on a birth control pill for about 20 days first (this is supposed to shut the whole system down so that when the injections begin, the system is "flared" up and made to produce more eggs and with evenness between the ovaries). Then I did injections again, but this time using Lupron, Follistim, Menopur and then Ovidrel for the trigger shot. This time 13 eggs were retrieved, 8 fertilized with ICSI and 3 remained at the time of transfer. Dr. Sandler recommended that we transfer two embryos (this time they made it to the blastocyst stage) so we did. The third was allowed to mature another day and was frozen on day 6. I should also mention that with all rounds I also used Medrol, Endometrin, and Prometrium after the transfers (I also took a single dose of an antibiotic with each round). Again, we got a negative pregnancy test. We met with Dr. Sandler again and were told that the one embryo that was frozen made it to a very good stage (all embryos are given a rating based on their development) and he recommended that we transfer that frozen embryo. So we did. I took Estradiol and then used the same progesterone as with the fresh transfers. Again, a negative pregnancy test. We used all of our available insurance benefits and also paid a lot of money out of pocket with Dr. Sandler. So after many failed attempts we decided to try a different doctor just to have a fresh set of eyes look at our case.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
With the exception of one nurse, they were generally very quick to give information and sometimes I felt like I was being rushed off the phone. Some seemed somewhat unhappy to be doing what they were doing. I know we all have bad days and things going on outside of work, but this is a very sensitive field to be working in so one would think they would have been a bit more compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very large, clean, and "doctor office" like. Easy to get to for me which was a plus.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I tried getting to the office before it technically opened since I have to be at work early in the morning (by 8am). Usually there were about 5 people there with me. They generally started seeing patients for monitoring on time. The longest I waited was an hour, but that only happened once.
All three cycles of IUI were covered by our insurance and I do not recall the specific costs. A round if IVF with medications ran well over $10,000. Payment was due on day one of the cycle and in full. The anesthesiologist did not take insurance so each retrieval required at least $750 out of pocket. I spoke with Dr. Sandler at the last follow up appointment about finances and he was able to reduce the cost of the frozen transfer that we did.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I was given conflicting information several times. Instructions given on my voicemail were often different than those on the actual prescription requiring several phone calls to clarify. I showed up once for bloodworm and an ultrasound as instructed and was asked why I was there as the orders had not been properly sent. I had to call on many occasions to ask for refills. The "IVF coordinator" who I was given contact information for often had to consult with a nurse or two to get an answer to a question when one was directed to her.

2013 - 2016, Unknown Success
When we were with Dr. Lederman for a sit-down appointment he would take his time, never rushing us, and discuss whatever we needed....We were also very under-prepared for a lot of things that happened along the way-- stopping our first cycle (nobody had ever mentioned that might happen), transferring more than one embryo (we had only ever been told, for years, that one embryo would be transferred due to my age), an ectopic outcome.
***YOU WILL ALMOST NEVER SEE YOUR DOCTOR*** [at RMA of New York] While your doctor will call you with results, they will rarely--if ever-- be the person you see for monitoring or do any of your procedures. If you need weekend monitoring there is only one office open and it is like a cattle call. The wait can be an hour+ at times.
How was your experience with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
He is thorough, but this can also be to his detriment. He spends a lot of time spouting facts and figures that don't necessarily apply to you (for example I'm 32, I don't particularly care about the success rates for women 40+ or risks for them). We were also very under-prepared for a lot of things that happened along the way-- stopping our first cycle (nobody had ever mentioned that might happen), transferring more than one embryo (we had only ever been told, for years, that one embryo would be transferred due to my age), an ectopic outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
This is hard. You don't know what you don't know, so it's impossible to tell someone to ask a lot of questions, etc. when you don't know what to ask and you feel like you're getting thorough information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York?
When we were with Dr. Lederman for a sit-down appointment he would take his time, never rushing us, and discuss whatever we needed. For anything else-- monitoring, egg retrieval, embryo transfer-- we rarely saw him and just had to take whoever was on staff that day,
Describe the protocols Matthew Lederman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
1) IVF-- my husband had testicular cancer and so his sperm count was low. Our first cycle was stopped as I was told my eggs weren't developing as a "cohort". Two eggs were "racing ahead of the pack" and Dr. Lederman felt like due to my age and health, we could do better. It was converted to an IUI where I had a negative home pregnancy test and the dr's office had a low positive (chemical pregnancy most likely). 2) Once I got my period I was put on birth control (pill) for about 2.5 weeks and then started hormone injections again. It took longer than anticipated before they did the egg retrieval (we were told about 10 days, it was 14 before my retrieval). My egg retrieval was extremely painful and I couldn't move and was in the worst pain of my life for several days. Nobody would prescribe me anything for the pain (various other materials I read online said other patients at other clinics were always sent home with an rx painkiller). I had also been told this procedure is "painless". They got 12 eggs, 10 were mature enough to fertilize (ICSI), 8 were successful, 6 grew, and we wound up with 2 the day-of. The doctor who did our transfer, literally as they were wheeling me out of the waiting area and into the transfer room, said "oh we want to put both back" so my husband and I didn't really have time to even think about it. We had been told, for years, that only ONE egg would ever be transferred. 3) This resulted in an ectopic pregnancy and the most difficult time of our lives. The pregnancy test came back low positive (hcg about 8) so they told me it didn't work. Then my numbers continued to triple every 2-3 days and make huge jumps. This whole time I was in for monitoring every 2-3 days where various doctors, who were not my doctor, would tell me they didn't know what was wrong but something definitely was even though my numbers were in the normal range. I was repeatedly told they "couldn't find it" (the sac). After a couple weeks of this (getting good new the numbers were rising and then terrible news that they were convinced something was terribly wrong because they couldn't see anything) I was sent to an ultrasound clinic with higher tech machines as, after weeks of torture, my doctors office finally informed me that their machines aren't good enough to see anything that early anyway (!!!!). This place found an ectopic pregnancy in my left tube. I had two shots of methotrexate that evening and we had to stop trying for three months. 4) After three months, we went back to Dr. Lederman and said at this time we are only willing to try IUI (something less invasive). We are in the middle of our first cycle with Clomid.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Christine, but she left halfway through our first IVF cycle and then we had nobody)
Erin was the main nurse we had contact with. She was very kind and caring and compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
***YOU WILL ALMOST NEVER SEE YOUR DOCTOR*** While your doctor will call you with results, they will rarely--if ever-- be the person you see for monitoring or do any of your procedures. If you need weekend monitoring there is only one office open and it is like a cattle call. The wait can be an hour+ at times.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The weekend had one location open across the entire city and it was a cattle call. It is a nightmare to go there with waits lasting over an hour, nowhere to sit, etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Matthew Lederman at RMA of New York.
Our insurance covers this. I just have an occasional co-pay.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
They double-charged our insurance for our first IUI which then put us over our limit for coverage and stuck us with a huge bill. It took many days of calling the office and insurance company for this to get straightened out. They would routinely tell my husband he needed to come in for tests or bloodwork which they had already done.
Matthew Lederman

2016, Unknown Success
2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Over all I liked Dr. Copperman, I do wish I saw him more. His bed side manner is decent, although he can have a bit of a sarcastic way about him which can be good for some and bad for others. He used a different protocol than my previous doctor which I liked and seemed more appropriate for someone my age dealing with diminishing ovarian reserves.
I really struggled with my experience at RMA. I really liked Dr. Copperman when I met with him so I knew going in he knew what he was doing. After the initial one on one meeting, nothing about the experience was personal. I almost never saw my own doctor, i always seemed to speak to a different nurse, and overall communication with the nurses was poor. The most obvious reason why i felt like a number was the atmosphere of the clinic, it has a "herding cattle" atmosphere. There are always at least 20 people in the waiting room if not 40.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask him questions. He sees a lot of patients and can be very quick during a monitoring appointments and can make it hard to get your questions asked and it can feel a little rushed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Alan Copperman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Dr. Copperman used something called the short protocol with me for the cycle. This adds in a medicine called luperon which helps your brain to naturally produce FSH. Since I am considered to be young in the fertility world, he said this protocol can be very successful as my body can be very receptive. In addition to the Luperon I also took menopur and follistim. The short protocol also doesn't require estrogen beforehand or ovulation tracking. I was also put on the pill for two weeks before my cycle to jump start my cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Maya)
My coordinator was overall good. She was good at communicating besides a few times when she didn't respond to my email and I had to follow up.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Besides the great doctors that work there, there arent too many strengths to the clinic. Although this may not seem important, this really bothered me during my treatment - the office staff and even some nurses dressed very inappropriately for a doctors office setting. They did not represent the clinic well and it was hard to take many of the seriously. The clinic is always always crowded. I was actually surprised how quickly they get people in and out. I did really enjoy the women who did the blood tests, they were all warm and friendly!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
There was a window of time in the morning which was nice in a way since I didn't have to miss work. They are very quick and on average would probably spend 15 min waiting which wasn't terrible considering how many people were waiting.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Copperman at RMA of New York.
treatment for embryo freezing was $12,000 plus the cost of meds
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I really wish the nurses and doctors would have spent more time going over results with me. Having done two cycles before this, one successful and one failed, i know what signs to look for. There were times my blood results came back and they were not clear at all whether they were good or bad and I felt like i was left wondering. I think for patients who are not very involved with their treatment this isn't a major problem. Besides that, it was just the overall atmosphere of the office that I didn't like.
NY - Eastside

When I miscarried my genetically-tested embryo, I felt I could have used a little more sympathy and care from Dr. Grunfeld. He said he was "sorry" and knew it was "disappointing" but at my follow up appointment (after the miscarriage and after the second failed cycle) was all about statistics and why I should keep going, with little thought to what I had been through...I think Dr. Grunfeld is a good "doctor" and by that, I mean a scientist. I think he "knows his stuff" and is generally a decent person. My chief complaint is that he was way too overly optimistic when I first started and, as a consequence, I was extremely shocked by what happened and where I am now.
There were on occasion very long waits but I don't blame the clinic [RMA] for that. I think they moved people in and out as efficiently as possible...The nursing staff is overall very responsive and very nice. I have no complaints about them...I'd say on balance, I felt more like a number. The cycle process itself is very "cattle-cally" with little time spent with the patient. This did not bother me so much because I understand they have to see a lot of patients, and it is very much a "numbers" game.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
I think Dr. Grunfeld is a good "doctor" and by that, I mean a scientist. I think he "knows his stuff" and is generally a decent person. My chief complaint is that he was way too overly optimistic when I first started and, as a consequence, I was extremely shocked by what happened and where I am now. When I went to see him about IVF, he made it seem like a fait-accompli that I would have a baby. And it all went well -- until it didn't. I had one embryo from my first round that genetically tested normal and implanted. I miscarried it, and it turned out the fetus had Down's Syndrome. Dr. Grunfeld never communicated to me that PGS was not 100% (I am sure I signed something that said I know). I would have appreciated a little more caution from him and a little more sympathy. When I went in for my follow up appointment, he didn't remember that the fetus had Down's and was not prepared. This was upsetting. He also urged me to another round which I did. I got 10 eggs but no PGS-normal embryos. When I went to see him for my next follow-up appointment, he told me to keep going but I could not at that point as my insurance had run out. I then did an IUI where I really felt like an afterthought to him and the clinic. Overall, it was a disappointing experience though I don't really blame Dr. Grunfeld.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Be careful if he is overly optimistic. IVF is not a fail-safe. Dr. Grunfeld will make it seem like it is.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
I'd say on balance, I felt more like a number. The cycle process itself is very "cattle-cally" with little time spent with the patient. This did not bother me so much because I understand they have to see a lot of patients, and it is very much a "numbers" game. When I miscarried my genetically-tested embryo, I felt I could have used a little more sympathy and care from Dr. Grunfeld. He said he was "sorry" and knew it was "disappointing" but at my follow up appointment (after the miscarriage and after the second failed cycle) was all about statistics and why I should keep going, with little thought to what I had been through.
Describe the protocols Lawrence Grunfeld used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I had the same protocol for both cycles. Gonal-F (c. 150), Menopur (between 2-3 vials), then the trigger. Dr. Grunfeld made no adjustments in between cycles which I understand. Both cycles produced a good amount of eggs -- it was just an egg quality issue given my age.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths are experience, organization, coordination. Weaknesses are that it can feel a bit impersonal.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
There were on occasion very long waits but I don't blame the clinic for that. I think they moved people in and out as efficiently as possible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York.
My insurance covered most of it though I had to $1,000 per cycle for shipping of the embryos, $750 per cycle for anastheisa, and $3,000 for genetic testing of up to 10 embryos.
NY - Eastside

I felt like a number because this Dr. [Copperman] only seemed to show compassion when it came to deciding to do my IVF with him. He was not willing to listen to my ideas of things to do differently this round since I had 2 failed IVFs prior to him. He seemed stubborn on his ways to repeat the same medications like my previous IVFs just at a lower dose...He never called to apologize about my miscarriage which I found hurtful.
This is a factory setting clinic [RMA]. There is often very long waits during monitoring. Do not expect to see your doctor during monitoring visits. The doctors were all pleasant overall but I prefer seeing my own doctor throughout this process which was impossible. You also need to be on top of you test results..etc because they forget to call you... During my miscarriage I was having intense labor like pain. The nurse said she would call in a stronger pain killer and failed to do so.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
When I met this dr he was very nice and looked into my eyes saying " I will get you pregnant." This doctor is pretty set in his ways and is not open to patient suggestions. Ive had several failed IVFS prior to seeing him so I knew what to expect. I have a tendency to make many eggs and embryos and they all arrest. He basically did the same IVF stim cycle as my previous dr and just lowered the medication dose a bit. He did not take my MTHFR seriously and said I do not need to take baby aspirin or lovenox. I ended up getting 2 poor quality but PGD tested normal embryos with him. They only made it to blast on day 6 and 7. He only let me transfer one and it stuck! I had to ask him to check my thyroid levels which he neglected to check and they were high! I had to start medication immediately since I was currently pregnant but it takes over a month for the medication to work. I ended up miscarrying. My progesterone levels were on the lower side and he didn't seem to care. He never called to apologize about my miscarriage which I found hurtful. I felt like I slid between the cracks because I look young and he probably figured it would be an easy cycle. I will never forget when I asked him why I miscarried a normal embryo and he answered " you are just unlucky".
To be your own advocate because he does not look at everything and important testing numbers get neglected.
I felt like a number because this Dr. only seemed to show compassion when it came to deciding to do my IVF with him. He was not willing to listen to my ideas of things to do differently this round since I had 2 failed IVFs prior to him. He seemed stubborn on his ways to repeat the same medications like my previous IVFs just at a lower dose. I did get pregnant but my baby stopped growing at 5 1/2 weeks. He had to induce a miscarriage using cytomel and it was pretty traumatizing. When I asked why did this PGD normal embryo stop growing he answered " you are just unlucky". I will NEVER forget that.
We used Gonal F 150 mg, menopur, ganirelix and a HCG/Lupron dual trigger to avoid hyperstimulation. I ended up with 22 eggs, 13 mature, 2 made it to blast but only on day 6 and 7. They were biopsied and PGD tested and then were frozen. I did a FET that following month which resulted in an unexplained miscarriage.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Some nurses were really nice. Jordan was the most compassionate nurse when delivering news on the phone. Leyla was the complete opposite and made me cry even more because of how she delivered sensitive information. She was very cold and uncaring.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This is a factory setting clinic. There is often very long waits during monitoring. Do not expect to see your doctor during monitoring visits. The doctors were all pleasant overall but I prefer seeing my own doctor throughout this process which was impossible. You also need to be on top of you test results..etc because they forget to call you.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
RMA had a few locations throughout Brooklyn and Manhattan where you can do monitoring. The Manhattan offices were like a cattle call. I once was in the waiting room for almost 2 hours! the Brooklyn office is a little less of a wait because its a smaller office.
My IVF was not covered by insurance so the medications, egg retrieval, PGD testing, and FET was around $25,000.
Describe Alan Copperman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
My dr. strongly suggested transferring only 1 embryo because it was PGD tested normal. I had 2 embryos that were poor quality but both PGD normal and he refused to transfer both. I ended up miscarrying one. I have not transferred the other yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
They forgot to call me with important results. During my miscarriage I was having intense labor like pain. The nurse said she would call in a stronger pain killer and failed to do so. She also did not check in on me when she said she would. Certain blood tests like TSH were neglected to be checked and certain levels like progesterone werent taken seriously when they were low.
2016, 1 Egg Frozen
Dr Talebian was very caring and took extra time to talk to me and answer calls. She was not always there and not always the doctor on call to help me. It was hard to tell in my case because the results of the very expensive procedure were not what I wanted or had hoped for, so it was overall disappointing. She handled that well I think, though I never felt I had as much time as I wanted with her...
[RMA - Downtown is]...A bit like a factory. Very nice and smart, but often felt business-like and I often wondered if I was getting the BEST protocol and price for me, or if I was just one amongst dozens of women... overall it was professional and organized. They helped a lot with finances and structure...The nurses were all great and patient...it was just that they were ALWAYS different. Very caring, but inconsistent. They just all seemed very busy...
How was your experience with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
Push hard. They will whisk you through if you don't demand answers and work really hard to understand and push for the best treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
The folks at RMA were always kind, patient and considerate. They were also busy, efficient and tactical. I often felt rushed and like I couldn't ask all of my questions. The doctors always treated me like a human, but I always also felt that I wasn't getting complete information.
Describe the protocols Sheeva Talebian used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I started with the pill for 3 weeks, which was based on my low AMH numbers. Then I did a standard protocol for a long cycle (meds were very costly). I had 3 eggs we hoped to retrieve and we only got one.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Easy and pretty efficient...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York.
$14k. They did give me a small discount to get started and they advised about med costs.
Sheeva Talebian
NY - Downtown
Dr. Knopman seemed to understand what I was going through and she had a game plan to help my husband and I achieve our goal of becoming parents. She was always 100% involved in my case and made sure I saw her when I came in for monitoring.... When I had spotting early in my pregnancy, she had me come in right away to alleviate my fear that something was wrong.... She is also very down to earth and will chat with you about other things going on in your life so you don’t feel so stuck in your infertility bubble
The nursing staff was amazing at RMA! They were always friendly, professional, and helpful with questions. I appreciated all the support they provided during my time there....This clinic is similar to others in that it’s a bit of a machine. Many people there first thing in the morning, waiting for your name to be called, mostly friendly staff at the front desk/billing. I did not appreciate that the billing department screwed up a few of my bills and directed me to the wrong insurance causing me to have to pay for IVF
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Knopman was confident that she could help me and that confidence transferred to me. When we sat down to make a game plan I felt like a weight had been slightly lifted. She had a plan and we were going to make that baby! She made sure to see me whenever she was in the office and she performed all of my procedures (egg retrieval and embroyo transfer). When I had spotting early in my pregnancy, she had me come in right away to alleviate my fear that something was wrong. She is also very down to earth and will chat with you about other things going on in your life so you don’t feel so stuck in your infertility bubble when you’re at the office practically every day. I will be returning to Dr. Knopman whenever I am ready for baby #2.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Trust her, you’re in good hands. Although, with any doctor, make sure you ask questions if you don’t understand something and advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Knopman seemed to understand what I was going through and she had a game plan to help my husband and I achieve our goal of becoming parents. She was always 100% involved in my case and made sure I saw her when I came in for monitoring. She celebrated me when I had success and helped me find confidence when some months didn’t work.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This clinic is similar to others in that it’s a bit of a machine. Many people there first thing in the morning, waiting for your name to be called, mostly friendly staff at the front desk/billing. I did not appreciate that the billing department screwed up a few of my bills and directed me to the wrong insurance causing me to have to pay for IVF. Make sure to speak with more than 1 person and take down their name. Thankfully this clinic is mostly well-organzied. They didn’t lose my information or bother me about paperwork that I had already turned in like another clinic that I went to.
Describe Jaime Knopman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr Knopman encouraged me to transfer 1 embryo because I am young and had good embryos. She felt that putting 1 embryo in for 2 cycles was just as effective as putting 2 embryos in for 1 cycle.
NY - Eastside

Dr. Grunfeld is very patient and easy going, he very knowledgeable is good about answering any questions you have; however, I felt like I had to be in charge... I also felt he was very pushy towards doing an IVF. I feel like the saline ultrasound should have been done before my 3 unsuccessful IUI s...r. Grunfeld saw the ultrasound he was convinced my uterus was fine and that it wasn't anything to worry about. I had to push him to do the hysteroscopy , he did in fact find and remove polyps.
Very organized [at RMA - New York] , sometimes wait times during weekend monitoring hours are long. You need to be on top of them with your paperwork and blood work, they don't always call u back for results u need to call back...Nurse always answered phone calls took few days to get an answer via email. Nurse was patient and caring... I paid approximately $1400 for hysteroscopy...I was covered by insurance for IUI and Clomid. I paid $75 for Ovadril.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Dr. Grunfeld is very patient and easy going, he very knowledgeable is good about answering any questions you have; however, I felt like I had to be in charge. For example I kept on telling him I was staining between cycles he said it's normal, may just be mid-cycle bleeding. It wasn't until I went to the Brooklyn office to do monitoring where I spoke to Dr. Kudesia and she suggested a saline ultrasound sound, she did it and found polyps. She told me I should have a hysteroscopy to remove them. Even after Dr. Grunfeld saw the ultrasound he was convinced my uterus was fine and that it wasn't anything to worry about. I had to push him to do the hysteroscopy , he did in fact find and remove polyps. I also felt he was very pushy towards doing an IVF. I feel like the saline ultrasound should have been done before my 3 unsuccessful IUI s.
do your research and fight for what you want and believe.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Don't remember the name)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very organized , sometimes wait times during weekend monitoring hours are long. You need to be on top of them with your paperwork and blood work, they don't always call u back for results u need to call back
I was covered by insurance for IUI and Clomid. I paid $75 for Ovadril. I paid approximately $1400 for hysteroscopy which went towards my $2000 deductable .
NY - Eastside

met dr [Dr. Kudesia] once and she explained everything extremely quickly. when asked questions to clarify/break down the lingo, she seemed impatient. i felt like she was on the clock and i was allotted only 15 minutes of her consultation time...aside from initial visit, I have not seen dr kudesia again. i have undergone three cycles of medicated treatment (ovidrel + letrizol) and they have been unsuccessful - she did not follow up ever. furthermore, last treatment resulted in extreme adverse side effects to the ovidrel which I found out AFTER being in NY Downtown Presbyterian Hospital ER, again no call from Dr Kudesia. She increased the ovidrel mg after being notified that I wasn't successful but that increase in dosage likely led to the ER visit. The overall lack of concern for my health and lack of follow up is concerning...
great staff [at RMA of New York - Brooklyn], good attitude...Ask her questions, see if she's taking due care in fully addressing your concerns and clarifying medical jargon. Also ask how involved she will be in future visits and procedures...
How was your experience with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rashmi Kudesia at RMA of New York?
met dr once and she explained everything extremely quickly. when asked questions to clarify/break down the lingo, she seemed impatient. i felt like she was on the clock and i was allotted only 15 minutes of her consultation time.
great staff, good attitude
Rashmi Kudesia
Brooklyn

one on one, he's [Dr. Copperman] fabulous and attentive and when I was alone with him, I did feel like he cared about me, but then I wouldn't see him for week, he never did my retrieval and I didn't get many answers on why my cycles did not work...Know that hes a great doctor with a high success rate but you will not get personalized attention....the whole process [at RMA] is extremely impersonal. there are usually 30 women in the waiting area at any given time, you never know what doctor will be doing your sonogram, there is no personalized attention with who calls you with daily updates, you rarely see your own doctor and the protocol is extremely cookie cutter.
the whole process is extremely impersonal [at RMA =- East Side]. there are usually 30 women in the waiting area at any given time, you never know what doctor will be doing your sonogram, there is no personalized attention with who calls you with daily updates, you rarely see your own doctor and the protocol is extremely cookie cutter...Pro: high success rate Con: not personal, long wait time, rarely see same doc...Know that hes [Dr. Cooperman] a great doctor with a high success rate but you will not get personalized attention.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
one on one, he's fabulous and attentive and when I was alone with him, I did feel like he cared about me, but then I wouldn't see him for week, he never did my retrieval and I didn't get many answers on why my cycles did not work.
the whole process is extremely impersonal. there are usually 30 women in the waiting area at any given time, you never know what doctor will be doing your sonogram, there is no personalized attention with who calls you with daily updates, you rarely see your own doctor and the protocol is extremely cookie cutter.
do not remember
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Pro: high success rate Con: not personal, long wait time, rarely see same doc

2015, Unsuccessful
He was fine. He seemed honest and open and nice. But he wasn't involved much in my care that I could see. The facility is so big that he was a very small part of my care. I was always told that he was "reviewing" my data, but I never heard from him...Dr. Klein was fine. But he was a very small part of my experience at RMA.
How was your experience with Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
Ask how many times you'll have contact with him during the course of your care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
Dr. Klein was fine. But he was a very small part of my experience at RMA. I only saw him at the very beginning and the very end of my treatment. Everything in between was a new person or a nurse or a rotating doctor. I never felt like there was continuity of care or any attention to detail with my case. The main RMA office in midtown Manhattan is horrible. The waiting room is HUGE and it really feels like a cattle call of patients. My egg retrieval experience with RMA was absolutely one of the worst medical experiences of my life. I asked to meet the doctor before the procedure and was told I couldn't unless it was an emergency of some sort. When I was ushered into the operating room, loud rock and roll was playing and no one greeted me or made me feel like I was a human being. I truly felt like a piece of meat on an assembly line. I got to meet exactly zero people involved with my care -- did not get to meet the anesthesiologist or the embryologist or the primary doctor. When I was put on the table in the operating room and started weeping because I felt vulnerable and exposed, no one acknowledged me or how I was doing. In short, no one spoke to me. I was truly just a piece of meat. Horrific.
Describe the protocols Joshua Klein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Can't remember exact protocols. But it was pretty standard IVF stuff.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
They were different every time. The phlebotomists were the WORST and I had bruises all the time. The nursing staff did not seem to want to get involved in continuity of care. I asked if I could see the same person and was told that it was "whoever is on call." They all seemed young and disengaged.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The second (and successful) clinic I went to was Madison Women's Health on the UES. They are AMAZING. They are exactly what anyone would want -- individualized attention, specific nurses helping & calling everyday, great attention to detail, great bedside manner. I felt so confident and happy with this clinic.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Ugh. Different person every time. Phlebotomists were truly awful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joshua Klein at RMA of New York.
Covered by insurance
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
RMA sucks. Don't ever go there.
Joshua Klein

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Sandler was beyond unhelpful. We were rushed into ivf without being given the proper level of expectation or care. I was not told what to expect or what would be considered success....he was pushy and didn't listen. he made up his mind early and never made eye contact I never knew what to expect. when i finally got him to actually call me back he rushed me and treated me like i was an idiot. When i ovulated thru the stims he blamed me instead of the fact the monitoring doctor's should have caught the LH spike. A horrible experience.
The practice [RMA of New York on the eastside] is large and feels like a human farm. I never had the same doctor twice in daily rotation and for that reason they miss the fact that I had ovulated early - thus a cancelled cycle. I should have known on my first day of cycling when they had me down for a beta pregnancy test and not to start my ivf cycle. then the finance coordinator Hira NEVER met with us - declined to show up for a scheduled appointment and never could answer why all of our insurance money was used for a cycle that never got to a retrieval.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
change doctors. he's set in his ways and impersonal.
Dr. Sandler was beyond unhelpful. We were rushed into ivf without being given the proper level of expectation or care. I was not told what to expect or what would be considered success. The practice is large and feels like a human farm. I never had the same doctor twice in daily rotation and for that reason they miss the fact that I had ovulated early - thus a cancelled cycle. I should have known on my first day of cycling when they had me down for a beta pregnancy test and not to start my ivf cycle. then the finance coordinator Hira NEVER met with us - declined to show up for a scheduled appointment and never could answer why all of our insurance money was used for a cycle that never got to a retrieval.
he used a standard antagonist high dose with no priming. I have DOR and a low AFC but he never explained his rationale. I couldn't even find out which protocol I was on till a few days before the cycle - there was next to no communication. I only produced three follicles but again he never told me what to expect and i never saw the same doctor twice so being in the dark completely was a horrible feeling during this process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
they were ok but it's a farm there - so many patients and everyone is overworked.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
too busy ,too many patients. they are greedy and just interested in getting money and billing insurance.
my insurance covered a lifetime of 20k. they used all of it and i never got to egg retrieval. a waste.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
they had me in the system wrong - my first monitoring for IVF was down as a beta pregnancy test - what an insult. They didn't monitor me properly and ended up being a cancelled cycle. billing was a nightmare,

2015, Unsuccessful
Pregnancy did not result from my treatment with Dr. Knapman, which skews my response, but overall I thought she was fine. I wish she had considered factors such as diet, potential immune or lifestyle issues, or suggested supplementary treatment or investigation of the reason that my transfer of a seemingly healthy embryo did not work. Upon completing treatment with her, I have spoken to many other people who mention their doctors suggesting acupuncture, reaching an ideal weight, tracking basal body temperature to determine ideal transfer time, etc. There was very little discussion about any of those things - I was especially concerned with the timing of IUI because I was using frozen donor sperm which does not stay alive as long as fresh sperm, but she seemed to apply a formulaic approach. Overall, she was nice and seemed to know her stuff, and did a great job with the egg retrieval, but she did not deviate from standard Western medical procedures at all, and did not seem to take the nuanced approach that I've heard other friends describe their doctors taking. I am back to trying naturally for the time being, but will seek out a different doctor when my partner and I move on to fertility treatments again.
The finance department [at RMA] did not sufficiently explain costs, and moved ahead with treatment before receiving authorization for my treatment. Their communication and steps were so negligent that they ended up agreeing to cover some costs associated with my treatment and provide free sperm and embryo storage....Did treatments as a single mother by choice using donor sperm. Nurses frequently (at least 50%) of the time did not check my chart before coming in to see me and would give me instructions based on an assumption that I was in a heterosexual relationship (after the trigger, here's when you should have intercourse, etc.). This is pretty unacceptable considering that RMA prides itself on supporting same-sex couples and single mothers by choice.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
See multiple doctors before making your decision, and be sure to press her on questions you have related to your specific case. Ask how she plans to vary her treatment plans based on the particulars of your situation.
Describe the protocols Jaime Knopman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Letrozole with HCG trigger shot for all six IUIs, transfer at 24 hours with frozen sperm samples. No pregnancies or positive pregnancy tests resulted. During IVF cycle, used a standard cocktail with a high dose of Menopur, Gonal-F, Pregnyl trigger, and Progesterone shots following the egg retrieval. Retrieved 5 eggs, 4 became 5-day blastocysts. We transferred one, it did not work. Froze the remaining three and have not yet done a frozen cycle.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
They were fine. Always a wait.
She prefers single embryo transfer which was fine with me. She explained her reasoning well and has been published on the matter.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The finance department did not sufficiently explain costs, and moved ahead with treatment before receiving authorization for my treatment. Their communication and steps were so negligent that they ended up agreeing to cover some costs associated with my treatment and provide free sperm and embryo storage.

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
We had 3 unsuccessful IUI cycles [with Dr. Klein]...He kept me informed, and was often available by email outside of business hours if questions were to arise... he was not the appropriate provider for me; my issues were more challenging and I do not feel that he was able to exercise any creative approaches to my care, as my subsequent doctor had done. Dr. Klein was very kind and compassionate, and a true professional.
I hated being part of a large organization [RMA of New York]. I felt there was no true intimacy, and it was more like a business rather than a fertility clinic. It was very systematic, which I felt required the doctors to operate under certain guidelines, adopting a cooking cutter approach to treatment...There were a few miscommunications, either related to billing or medications. Considering this location is a Monday through Friday, 9-5 organization if things are not resolved within that window they would have had to wait until a business day. There was only one cycle coordinator and one financial specialist, so if they were not available you were not able to be helped.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Klein at RMA of New York?
I appreciated Dr. Klein and his honesty with my diagnosis and its relation to my chances of natural conception. He kept me informed, and was often available by email outside of business hours if questions were to arise. Although I understand he is a top rated doctor in this field, he was not the appropriate provider for me; my issues were more challenging and I do not feel that he was able to exercise any creative approaches to my care, as my subsequent doctor had done. Dr. Klein was very kind and compassionate, and a true professional.
Ask him questions, and challenge his responses if you are unhappy with them.
Dr. Klein was fine to work with, but I feel he operated off of a script. I suffered with DOR, and at an advanced age, it was unlikely that I would conceive on my own, however it was early into my treatment and I wanted to exhaust all efforts. I felt he was pushing us towards using donor eggs very soon into treatment without exploring other options.
We had 3 unsuccessful IUI cycles. We were preparing for IVF, but my insurance changed and the new insurance would not cover the procedure.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
It has been a while, and my recall is limited, but I do remember a nurse named Janice. I was not happy with her at all. I feel that she lacked a certain amount of empathy you would need to work with women struggling with fertility. I also recall having to visit the Manhattan location on a weekend as the White Plains location was closed. On two occasions I was waiting to be seen and nurses forgot I was there, resulting in me having to get dressed and find someone to attend to me.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I hated being part of a large organization. I felt there was no true intimacy, and it was more like a business rather than a fertility clinic. It was very systematic, which I felt required the doctors to operate under certain guidelines, adopting a cooking cutter approach to treatment.
I do not recall. Most, if not all, of my treatment was covered by insurance.

2015, Successful
She [Dr. Knopman] was great and made us feel very comfortable. When we had bad news she was honest and kind and gave her opinion of what she would do if she was in our position, which I appreciated. When she had good news she was as excited as we were... was very personable and genuine. I felt she treated me as if I were a good friend of hers and she truly wanted us to succeed.
The nurses [at RMA of New York] seemed nice but since I was not seeing the same nurse consistently they didn't have much of a connection to patients...when transferring embryos to our new clinic their embryologist didn't send paperwork for weeks which delayed our cycle. I basically called begging, what did I need to do to get her to send the single page delaying our cycle. Four weeks after she said she sent it, she finally did it.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
She was great and made us feel very comfortable. When we had bad news she was honest and kind and gave her opinion of what she would do if she was in our position, which I appreciated. When she had good news she was as excited as we were.
Similar to any fertility appointment I found that I often quickly forgot details after I left the office or hung up the phone. I learned to take notes during appointments, also to write down any questions in advance.
Dr. Knopman was very personable and genuine. I felt she treated me as if I were a good friend of hers and she truly wanted us to succeed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses seemed nice but since I was not seeing the same nurse consistently they didn't have much of a connection to patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The only pro I have of RMA downtown was it's convenient location and that we saw Dr. Knopman there. I disliked pretty much everything else. Their admin staff tried to tell us a $10,000 out of pocket test was required and our cycle was cancelled until we did it. Dr. Knopman had told us this was absolutely not the case since we had already done screening for tay sachs and we were not carriers. I had to get Dr. Knopman to step in. Nobody else would listen to me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring during the week wasn't too bad. Usually in and out in an hour. On the weekends they warned us that if we weren't there right when we opened we wouldn't be seen for 5+ hours which I think is unacceptable. We always came super early on the weekends so we only waited about an hour and a half. It seems like if the wait gets that long why not have more staff on hand?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York.
about $22,000 fully out of pocket
She offered us the option to transfer two but said with my age being on the younger side she thought we would be fine to transfer one. We said we did not want twins and she respected that decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
At one point our patient coordinator insisted we were required to do a $10k out of pocket test or our cycle was cancelled. This was was absolutely not true and she refused to budge until Dr. Knopman herself stepped in. After that mishap which did delay our cycle RMA apologized and had our case transferred to a director but I was furious and feel this kind of mistake should have never happened. During our cycle I forgot where to administer the trigger shot and called the nurse line in the afternoon explaining I was supposed to trigger at 9pm and asked for a call back. I called again at 7pm and 8pm and never got a call back from anyone. In the morning I called only to learn I had done it in the wrong spot and they had me come in for blood work to see if I needed a "trigger booster." Luckily things were fine but it was so frustrating since it could have totally been avoided. Later when transferring embryos to our new clinic their embryologist didn't send paperwork for weeks which delayed our cycle. I basically called begging, what did I need to do to get her to send the single page delaying our cycle. Four weeks after she said she sent it, she finally did it.

2 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
The level of care and professionalism at RMA was appalling. It was impossible to get a nurse on the phone, it took ages to get called back, the nurses seemed unhappy and the doctors, too. I didn't know any better, but now I do. Awful...Packed waiting rooms, no one knows you, all profit, no compassion. Total factory...[Monitoring appointments were a] Cattle call. Huge waiting room that took ages...Dr Stein spent no time explaining what we were trying to achieve in terms of egg freezing, my treatment or otherwise. I had no idea what was going on and it was my first treatment cycle -- and I've been through 2 more since. He knew I wanted to preserve my fertility with an egg freeze, but we didn't talk treatment plan, numbers, protocol, nothing. Wh
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I have already explained how appalling Dr. Stein's ability to communicate and explain my treatment, protocol, goals and outcomes was in a prior answer. Here, I'd like to respond about how bad the medical treatment was, too. I told Dr. Stein that my body responds very badly to birth control pills and that was why I've never been on them for any length of time. Nonetheless, he put me on them and I got a cyst right away and we couldn't go forward with my cycle. Then, having immediately gotten a new doctor, it was immediately clear I was triggered much too early. No wonder I got only 4--yes 4--eggs, only 1 of which was mature!!! In my next egg retrieval I got 12 eggs a few months later, 8 of which were mature and in my most recent retrieval - 5 years later at 39 years old I got 10 eggs, 9 of which fertilized and resulted in 6 Day blastocysts. So the numbers speak for themselves. Terrible communication and medical care from Dr. Stein. Save your time, heart and money and go elsewhere as fast possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Run for the door.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Dr Stein spent no time explaining what we were trying to achieve in terms of egg freezing, my treatment or otherwise. I had no idea what was going on and it was my first treatment cycle -- and I've been through 2 more since. He knew I wanted to preserve my fertility with an egg freeze, but we didn't talk treatment plan, numbers, protocol, nothing. When I came in for my de-brief after the cycle, I raised this calmly and kindly as something I would have appreciated and he got defensive and literally told me to get out of office!!!! I told him he could not force me to do that, he had a responsibility to answer my questions about how many eggs I needed to preserve my fertility, to give me a reason why we didn't talk about that number ever or provide me with any information about why he selected my protocol. It was appalling. I can't imagine anything worse, really.
Describe the protocols Daniel Stein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I would love to be able to say, but Dr. Stein never explained any of this to me and when I asked he got defensive and asked me to leave his office, as I noted above. I later received my paper records from RMA, but there is no rationale for the protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Number not a human. Packed waiting rooms, no one knows you, all profit, no compassion. Total factory.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Cattle call. Huge waiting room that took ages.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Stein at RMA of New York.
I can't now recall the exact amount, but with medications and the freeze, it was around 25k.
Daniel Stein

8 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
When i first met Lawrence Grunfeld he mis diagnosed me. He told me i had alot of follicles while he himself was doing my ultrasound. He anticipated no issues. I then received my AMH results back of .20 and i was confused how i had many follicles in my ultrasound yet such a low AMH.... Apparently i had not many follicles on my ultrasound which made more sense with my low AMH. I am till this day confused/shocked how a reputable doctor made such a mistake of telling me i had many follicles when in fact i barely had any.
I cant really comment on the clinic [RMA of NY]. I ran away pretty quickly after my cycle was canceled. There was no reason we couldnt proceed with 5 follicles. But maybe it was for there statistics.... It was expensive. They still wanted me to pay for a full cycle which was alot considering my cycle was canceled rather quickly.... They charge for helping you administer shots. In my other clinics they did it for free
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
When i first met Lawrence Grunfeld he mis diagnosed me. He told me i had alot of follicles while he himself was doing my ultrasound. He anticipated no issues. I then received my AMH results back of .20 and i was confused how i had many follicles in my ultrasound yet such a low AMH. I was at a loss and confused and he was nowhere to be found. When i finally reached him he brushed off this mistake like it was no big deal. Apparently i had not many follicles on my ultrasound which made more sense with my low AMH. I am till this day confused/shocked how a reputable doctor made such a mistake of telling me i had many follicles when in fact i barely had any. Makes me not trust him even if it was an honest mistake. Then we started a cycle and he canceled it because i only had 5 follicles vs 10 or 8. And then i left his clinic.
Follow up on everything dont take anything for face value
Clinic felt very factory like
We did conventional IVF with huge dosages of menapour, follostim Etc.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I cant really comment on the clinic. I ran away pretty quickly after my cycle was canceled. There was no reason we couldnt proceed with 5 follicles. But maybe it was for there statistics. I dont know the clinic well enough.
2015, 25 Eggs Frozen
It's [RMA of New York] very nice and in a good area. The clinic is clean and I never had to wait a long time. Also I was able to come before work, which is very nice...I was an egg donor when I was younger at RMA and I asked for information about this and she [Dr. Knopman] was dismissive...She was okay but not very compassionate. I wanted information eggs I had donated when I was younger and she blew me off and refused to answer my questions. If she legally couldn't she didn't say that. It was upsetting. I would not recommend her, but I figured egg freezing is straightforward so why not stay with her for that. She has since left the practice so I won't be using her again. that's all.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
I was an egg donor when I was younger at RMA and I asked for information about this and she was dismissive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It's very nice and in a good area. The clinic is clean and I never had to wait a long time. Also I was able to come before work, which is very nice.
10,000 plus meds

2015, Unsuccessful
I met with Dr Sandler after a natural miscarriage, at first he did a sonogram, didn't suspect any issues there, ordered me a HSG and day 3 blood work and said since I am young he's pretty sure there's nothing to worry about. after my day 3 bloodwork he had a nurse tell me that I have diminished ovarian reserve and shes so sorry. i had to wait 3 weeks until he would see me to discuss options. at 28 he basically said my body is a 40+ year old woman and it would be difficult to get me pregnant, but no big deal, i could use donor eggs. No compassion. As i sat there crying he kept saying donor eggs are a great option.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
he was going to do a long antagonist protocol. i didnt move forward with him.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
the nurse showed compassion. I really didnt deal with them much since i switched clinics after the diagnosis.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I really just didnt care for the Doctor, the way he went about giving me my diagnosis.

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Flisser did not seem to be an expert in diminished ovarian reserve. He was not particularly encouraging based on my high FSH numbers and low antral follicle count. He was not willing to proceed with retrieval with a low number of follicles , which for me seem to be inevitable and with a different doctor at anotehr clinic, l I was able to proceed even though I had only produced four or five follicles and I had a successful pregnancy based on that procedure ... It involved high doses of Gonal-F and estrogen priming and something else . It didn't seem particularly well suited for my diminished ovarian reserve diagnosis although I think from flexor's point of view the high doses were targeted to my non-receptive ovaries .
This [RMA of New York] really seems like a for-profit operation. It's not a pleasant place to be -- dark, gloomy, cramped and not particularly clean. I don't think it's a good clinic for people with the diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve... It involved high doses of Gonal-F and estrogen priming and something else . It didn't seem particularly well suited for my diminished ovarian reserve diagnosis although I think from flexor's point of view the high doses were targeted to my non-receptive ovaries .
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Flisser did not seem to be an expert in diminished ovarian reserve. He was not particularly encouraging based on my high FSH numbers and low antral follicle count. He was not willing to proceed with retrieval with a low number of follicles , which for me seem to be inevitable and with a different doctor at anotehr clinic, l I was able to proceed even though I had only produced four or five follicles and I had a successful pregnancy based on that procedure . With Flisser there was also a whole situation where he thought I had an ectopic pregnancy and was recommending that I have a shot to induce a chemical abortion . I was certain that it was not ectopic but merely a blighted ovum which I had experienced in the past, and knew the symptoms of. I didn't want to take the pill because it would delay our next IVF cycle for several months, which is a bigger headache than it sounds like given the proliferation of days the clinic is closed in January, not to mention the very strong ticking of my biological clock given the DOR. In the end, I did not take the shot against his advice and it turned out it was not an ectopic but merely a blighted ovum as I had suspected. I think Flisser was erring on the side of caution, but this whole situation really left a bad taste in my mouth. He wasn't physically there for the after-hours appointment where the nurse was trying to push the abortion shot on me. He did, however, talk to me on the phone about it, which I suppose is generous of him. But in general, the situation made me feel like maybe fertility doctors like him aren't experts in early pregnancy in which case they should really refer patients to someone else instead of trying to diagnose things that are not within their realm of expertise.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Leave RMA quickly unless you have really simple problems. My friends whose only infertility issues involved low sperm count did well with RMA. Others with DOR and other diagnoses really found better results elsewhere.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
The waiting room procedure made me feel like a numbe . Also Flisser's reaction to my lab results and his canceling retrieval based on poor stimulation response made me feel like a number.
Describe the protocols Eric Flisser used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specifics . It involved high doses of Gonal-F and estrogen priming and something else . It didn't seem particularly well suited for my diminished ovarian reserve diagnosis although I think from flexor's point of view the high doses were targeted to my non-receptive ovaries .
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
I don't really remember but the whole place was not well run it was gloomy in efficient and pleasant and infantizing.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
This really seems like a for-profit operation. It's not a pleasant place to be -- dark, gloomy, cramped and not particularly clean. I don't think it's a good clinic for people with the diagnosis of diminished ovarian reserve.
Describe Eric Flisser's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I never got to that point with Flisser, sadly.
Eric Flisser