Natan Bar-Chama

311 North St
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

2015, Successful
Dr. Klein was kind, patient and took the time to clearly explain things so I didn't feel like just another one of the thousands of women in New York in her late 30s trying to conceive...Dr Klein was extremely aware of avoiding this and unpleasantly surprised but not shocked - to be clear, this was certainly not his or my desired outcome as he measures success by singleton pregnancies. Whether this is an indication of his ability is subjective - I was not pleased but ultimately delivered 2 healthy babies. Just something to be aware of with any fertility measures.
The whole fertility process feels fairly mechanical especially if your condition is unexplained infertility. But unlike my previous fertility doctor...who was clearly going through the motions and very rushed, Dr. Klein [of RMA New York] was kind, patient and took the time to clearly explain things so I didn't feel like just another one of the thousands of women in New York in her late 30s trying to conceive.
How was your experience with Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
The whole fertility process feels fairly mechanical especially if your condition is unexplained infertility. But unlike my previous fertility doctor at Cornell Weill, who was clearly going through the motions and very rushed, Dr. Klein was kind, patient and took the time to clearly explain things so I didn't feel like just another one of the thousands of women in New York in her late 30s trying to conceive. After just one round of gonal f injections, careful monitoring and IUI I became pregnant with twins. Dr Klein was extremely aware of avoiding this and unpleasantly surprised but not shocked - to be clear, this was certainly not his or my desired outcome as he measures success by singleton pregnancies. Whether this is an indication of his ability is subjective - I was not pleased but ultimately delivered 2 healthy babies. Just something to be aware of with any fertility measures.
2014, Successful
He [Dr. Klein] was patient and took time to explain everything to me. I was able to email him and he responded both professionally and in a warm manner. He was fabulous!...compassionate and understanding. He knew the sensitivity of the whole situation and didn't try to give me other options that would delay the process for no reason. He was always reachable and I cannot thank him enough!
The welcoming staff [at RMA of New York] weren't has warm as the doctor but that did not worry me. They were very nice, professional, quick and communicated well. I was able to call the front desk with questions and they would respond as soon as they could...You'll feel so comfortable there, don't worry about a thing!...Dr. Klein was kind, patient, compassionate and understanding. He knew the sensitivity of the whole situation and didn't try to give me other options that would delay the process for no reason. He was always reachable and I cannot thank him enough!
How was your experience with Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
You'll feel so comfortable there, don't worry about a thing!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
He was patient and took time to explain everything to me. I was able to email him and he responded both professionally and in a warm manner. He was fabulous!
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The welcoming staff weren't has warm as the doctor but that did not worry me. They were very nice, professional, quick and communicated well. I was able to call the front desk with questions and they would respond as soon as they could.

2014, Successful
Kind and patient, answered all questions.
[Nurses are] kind and friendly.
How was your experience with Joshua Klein at RMA of New York?
Amazing doctor with a great bedside manner. Kind and patient, answered all questions.
Go see him, he's great.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Amalie)
Kind and friendly.
Joshua Klein
Although she [Dr. Jovana Lekovich] was super nice and informative I was disappointed with my treatment...new information was introduce and my course of treatment didn’t change...I struggled with getting healthy eggs. I expected that my treatment should of been adjusted to fit my current situation...I never felt like a number but hardly saw her for all my checkups.
[Nurse at RMA of New York] Always stayed in contact with me and was available to answer any questions or if I had an issue with medication delivery...there to provide and alternative or help with any other issues I had...Lack of space on monitoring days and lengthy wait times...lack of privacy for blood drawing...always clean and so where the exam rooms. They weren’t too cold either which is nice.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Although she was super nice and informative I was disappointed with my treatment after new information was introduce and my course of treatment didn’t change. Being that I struggled with getting healthy eggs. I expected that my treatment should of been adjusted to fit my current situation. And this didn’t happen and I ended up having a negative pregnancy test.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
This is not only for this doctor but for all fertility doctors. As a patient do your home work. If you feel that you need to do further testing or you’ve gotten results that maybe slightly hamper your outcome. Don’t rush into the transfer cycle until you have all the facts or the issue has been rectified.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
I never felt like a number but hardly saw her for all my checkups.
Describe the protocols Jovana Lekovich used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Anatagonist protocol. No birth control. Call with first flow of m’entras cycle. Started on day 3 Gonal F and monitoring every 3 days. Day 5 nurse instructions for meds. Cetrotide depending on how my body reacted to Gonal F and Menopur. Lupron/HCG shot before egg retrieval date.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Always stayed in contact with me and was available to answer any questions or if I had an issue with medication delivery. She was there to provide and alternative or help with any other issues I had.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Lack of space on monitoring days and lengthy wait times. Due to this patients Seoul’s either be in the hallway or standing in the office. Also lack of privacy for blood drawing. Didn’t bother me but some people it might have. The clinic was always clean and so where the exam rooms. They weren’t too cold either which is nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York.
My insurance covered the first and only cycle (1 in a lifetime). Didn’t make it to transfer. So had to pay for everything else until the transfer on my second cycle. Can’t remember the exact cost.
Jovana Lekovich

2021 - 2022, Successful
As difficult as the process is, she [Dr. Thornton] always made me feel at ease and helped me to stop stressing by answering all of my questions (and very promptly) with great insight and knowledge. When things did not go quite as expected with my first egg retrieval, she quickly put a new plan in place and thoroughly explained next steps and the chances of the next cycle working, which helped me feel calm and optimistic.
[RMA of New York] is definitely a very big clinic, but I really enjoyed going to the Downtown office, which is much smaller than the main office on the UES. I never waited very long for my monitoring appointments and I almost always saw my actual doctor, which allowed me to ask her any questions in person and to find out next steps right then and there during the monitoring appointment.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
I would highly recommend Dr. Thornton and had a really positive experience going through IVF under her care. As difficult as the process is, she always made me feel at ease and helped me to stop stressing by answering all of my questions (and very promptly) with great insight and knowledge. When things did not go quite as expected with my first egg retrieval, she quickly put a new plan in place and thoroughly explained next steps and the chances of the next cycle working, which helped me feel calm and optimistic. She is a knowledgeable and experienced doctor, very kind with great bedside manner, and I truly trusted her opinion and recommendations. I can't recommend her enough.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton was always available to answer my questions and usually responded within a few hours. I truly trusted her advice and she always eased any concerns I had throughout the IVF process, and she treated me with patience and compassion.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
The nurses and my coordinator were great. Always very responsive and would call back very quickly if I had questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA of NY is definitely a very big clinic, but I really enjoyed going to the Downtown office, which is much smaller than the main office on the UES. I never waited very long for my monitoring appointments and I almost always saw my actual doctor, which allowed me to ask her any questions in person and to find out next steps right then and there during the monitoring appointment.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring appointments were really easy. I was usually in and out of the office within 30 minutes. I was always able to schedule the time that I wanted, which made it easy to manage before work.

2021 - 2022, 23 Eggs Frozen
RMA is a well-oiled machine - they know what they're doing. Despite being a big practice, it was easy for me to reach my care team and everyone I spoke with throughout the process was calm and helpful...They [nurses] called me after every monitoring appointment, and all my calls and questions were returned and answered quickly and calmly. Their clear communication made the process run smoothly.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
I went through what was fortunately a very straightforward egg freezing cycle with Dr. Sekhon. The initial consultation appointment was very thorough, and left me with a clear idea of what to reasonably expect for someone freezing at my age (37). I saw Dr. Sekhon several times during my cycle, and each time, even during very brief monitoring appointments, she expertly balanced the straightforward sharing of information about how the cycle was progressing with empathy and care. I was grateful that she was easy to reach with questions, and honest about both the potential and limitations of the freezing process. Her care and that of her team made a daunting process very manageable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
I had to book several weeks out for both my initial consultation and follow up appointment, so be prepared for a possible wait. The time in the appointments moves quickly, and there's a lot of information to process - preparing questions beforehand will help you ensure you have all the info you need (and you can also email her if you need to follow up).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sekhon gave a thorough overview of the egg freezing process, and made sure I knew how to reach her and her team with any follow up questions. She responded quickly to my questions, and her team was friendly and easy to reach, which helped make the process very smooth.
Describe the protocols Lucky Sekhon used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I had a very straightforward treatment plan for my egg retrieval - Gonal-F and Menopur for 8-9 days, followed by a trigger shot. Dr. Sekhon attenuated the medication after my monitoring appointments.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
They called me after every monitoring appointment, and all my calls and questions were returned and answered quickly and calmly. Their clear communication made the process run smoothly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I was glad to be able to go into the clinic most convenient to my home during monitoring hours - I had to wait about 10 minutes once or twice, but it wasn't a big deal, and once I got in I was finished in under ten minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York.
The cycle and included appointments was $9,500, the anesthesia for the retrieval was $950, the medications were approximately $5,500.
NY - Downtown

[Dr. Thornton] always worked to let me know that she personally was handling my cycle, performed every single monitoring ultrasound herself, and was available for any and all questions. She normalized my pain and was incredibly supportive as I suffered through my miscarriage, and she remained hopeful through the next transfer that led to a pregnancy...she looked at me as an individual and clearly made personalized medical decisions for my unique clinical scenario
RMA as a practice supports single embryo transfer...[our nurse was] Bubbly, warm, and went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable with all of the steps in this long journey...RMA is a busy practice, which makes it a well-oiled machine. That's what you (or at least what I) want in an IVF center. Their success rates are amazing, and Dr. Thornton gives a personalized experience within an overall large practice.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
I can't say enough wonderful things about Dr. Thornton. Dr. Thornton is one of the kindest, most compassionate doctors I've ever met. In a busy practice like RMA, she somehow always finds a way to make the experience feel personalized; I never felt like a number. She would spend extra time with me explaining what she saw, what the plan would be and if there were setbacks, what her plan was for next steps. Her medical decision making was thoughtful and not cookie cutter; she looked at me as an individual and clearly made personalized medical decisions for my unique clinical scenario. She has been my cheerleader and my advocate, and she possesses the perfect combination of astute intellect and compassionate care. I will be forever grateful for her incredible care.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Monitor at the soho office so you get to see her as much as possible!
Dr. Thornton is truly wonderful. Kind, compassionate, and caring, she always worked to let me know that she personally was handling my cycle, performed every single monitoring ultrasound herself, and was available for any and all questions. She normalized my pain and was incredibly supportive as I suffered through my miscarriage, and she remained hopeful through the next transfer that led to a pregnancy. I will be forever grateful for Dr. Thornton's intellect, warmth, kindness, and compassion.
Describe the protocols Kimberley Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
We started with 4 rounds of letrozole/IUI, then moved to IVF with antagonist cycle and freeze-all strategy for embryos to do PGT-A.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Moro)
Melissa Moro is a wonderful nurse. Bubbly, warm, and went above and beyond to make me feel comfortable with all of the steps in this long journey.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York.
Can't remember
Describe Kimberley Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
RMA as a practice supports single embryo transfer. My embryos were genetically tested, so it makes sense to put back only one euploid embryo at a time.
NY - Downtown

We like that Dr. Sekhon took the time to get to know us, our goals, problems, frustrations, etc. She took the time to explain everything to us and made sure we were comfortable every step of the process. I think she genuinely cares about her patients. She took the time to speak with us on multiple occasions during off hours...We also appreciated how honest she was. She was always very quick to respond with any questions we had. We spoke and emailed with her after hours and on weekends. She quickly determined that the first method of treatment was not going to work for us and recommended IVF. Obviously this was a big decision but she made us feel very confident that this was the right decision and it worked out perfectly. She was consistently in touch with us, performed the egg retrieval and implanted the embryo. Overall, she was the perfect doctor for us on our journey towards having a healthy baby.
Our primary nurse [at RMA of New York] was Connie. She was excellent and also very responsive. She even came to our apartment to administer an injection because my husband was out of town. All the other nurses we dealt with were also great...Monitoring hours was our least favorite part of the experience with RMA. You could end up waiting up to 30 minutes and you are not sure what doctor you are going to see. They have so many patients that sometimes you feel like the doctor is a bit rushed. They also only have so much time to review your chart prior to coming into the room. The nursing staff and team that drew blood were incredible. Dr. Sekhon always let us know when she was going to be available for monitoring hours so we could see her. We always preferred that.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sekhon was extremely empathetic and patient. She took extra time to make sure we understood everything and were comfortable every step of the way. We also appreciated how honest she was. She was always very quick to respond with any questions we had. We spoke and emailed with her after hours and on weekends. She quickly determined that the first method of treatment was not going to work for us and recommended IVF. Obviously this was a big decision but she made us feel very confident that this was the right decision and it worked out perfectly. She was consistently in touch with us, performed the egg retrieval and implanted the embryo. Overall, she was the perfect doctor for us on our journey towards having a healthy baby.
I would advise not to hold back any questions you have. Even if you think its a silly or unnecessary question, you should still ask. Dr. Sekhon is happy to take the time to make sure you understand everything and are comfortable.
I was diagnosed with PCOS. We did 2 cycles of timed intercourse. Dr. Sekhon quickly determined that I had a hormone and that timed intercourse / IUI would not work. She recommended IVF. We did 9 days of hormone injections prior to the egg retrieval which resulted in 39 eggs. We ultimately got 15 healthy and genetically tested embryos. We successfully got pregnant on the 1st embryo transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Connie)
Our primary nurse was Connie. She was excellent and also very responsive. She even came to our apartment to administer an injection because my husband was out of town. All the other nurses we dealt with were also great.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The thing that stood out to us is how large of a clinic this was. The positive part about this is that they obviously have great experience. Dr. Sekhon mentioned to us that whenever they are reviewing test results, discussing medication plans, etc. - multiple doctors are looking at it and coming to a decision as a team. The negative part about the size of the clinic is something you feel like the specifics of your fertility issue might get a little lost in the shuffle. For example, we had certain coordinators or nurses call us that didn't really know much about our situation, which could be frustrating at times. We'd just recommend that any new patient be an advocate for themselves. If you don't feel comfortable any point just get in touch with your specific doctor or nurse as needed.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
All in we spent approximately $15,000-$17,000 including everything.
NY - Downtown

I had expressed concerns [to Dr. Thornton] from the onset about vulnerability to hormonal variations and when it became so drastic post-transfer that I was suffering from a first-time onset of clinical depression, I was completely dismissed by all involved. When I was finally issued a different protocol (different drug administration technique) Dr. Thornton did not even check in *once* to see if there was improvement, or how I was doing, or just to treat me like a human patient rather than a vessel for a successful live birth. Nurses are the same, and you will rarely see or interact with the same person twice.
Honestly I haven't heard from the billing department [at RMA of New York] once since starting this process. I've tracked my own expenses - thank god? - but no one has updated me or followed up with me. At this point I'm honestly wondering whether I even have a chart over there. I'm estimating the entire process (egg retrieval, testing, FET) cost about 40k...I expect the clinic's strength is in the sheer volume of patients and cases they have treated. This is a double edged sword, however, in that you become just one of those numbers - and statistics - that contributes to their overall rates. Honestly I felt like I was seen as an easy opportunity to achieve an 'under 35 live birth on the first implant' in order to boost their numbers, and I was given 0 personal attention or care.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr Thornton is likely very intelligent and possibly talented at her job related to the actual fertility elements. Her bedside manner and patient care is utterly lacking. Perhaps I'm an outlier, but if an outlier can be these drastic, I truly wonder where the mean would lie.
You must be a superior project manager and be able to manage your fertility journey with confidence, precision, and the ability to stand up for yourself. No one will take care of you, no one will check up on you, and no one will offer you ways to ameliorate any difficulties the process may cause for you. You should not be afraid to call, email, and keep calling to get the results, updates, and information you need to proceed confidently. This is your body, your choice, and your money that is feeding the factory.
RMA is a factory. I will not be the first nor the last to say this. I think people are desperate for results and will take any kind of mistreatment along the way to get there. I had expressed concerns from the onset about vulnerability to hormonal variations and when it became so drastic post-transfer that I was suffering from a first-time onset of clinical depression, I was completely dismissed by all involved. When I was finally issued a different protocol (different drug administration technique) Dr. Thornton did not even check in *once* to see if there was improvement, or how I was doing, or just to treat me like a human patient rather than a vessel for a successful live birth. Nurses are the same, and you will rarely see or interact with the same person twice.
I started on progesterone shots post 5-day FET (pgt-a and pgt-m). I was miserable. I'd communicated my vulnerability to hormones early on, and it became so drastic I had to demand some sort of change in the treatment or I would not be able to be a functional mother for my current daughter. The nurse told me they couldn't 'make me' take the medication, as in I could either proceed with no change and suffer, or make my own call to completely stop treatment at 6 weeks post-transfer. Something somehow finally got through to Dr Thornton and I was switched to thrice daily endometrin pills + twice daily vaginal suppositories. This produced some nausea but SIGNIFICANTLY improved mood. It took too much and too long to get me to that change. And i had to demand it for myself.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Nursing staff repeatedly had to be followed up with in order to get the full information i needed. On multiple occasions I was chasing people down nearly the end of the day to acquire extremely time sensitive prescriptions - including trigger shot over a holiday weekend! They are impossible to reach - no direct lines or emails. And one nurse when i told her i was suffering on my treatment told me i didn't 'have' to continue the medication, rather than work with me to consult the dr for a mitigated treatment plan.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I expect the clinic's strength is in the sheer volume of patients and cases they have treated. This is a double edged sword, however, in that you become just one of those numbers - and statistics - that contributes to their overall rates. Honestly I felt like I was seen as an easy opportunity to achieve an 'under 35 live birth on the first implant' in order to boost their numbers, and I was given 0 personal attention or care. When I awoke from being put under to have my eggs retrieved, a person I'd never seen before merely said to me 'what does your phone case look like'. That was honestly the first thing someone said to me when I came to. That is the kind of treatment you can expect.
Honestly I haven't heard from the billing department once since starting this process. I've tracked my own expenses - thank god? - but no one has updated me or followed up with me. At this point I'm honestly wondering whether I even have a chart over there. I'm estimating the entire process (egg retrieval, testing, FET) cost about 40k.
I'm not sure but we only transferred one with no discussion of multiples
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
-my follicles got jacked really quickly and i was beyond bloated. We were approaching fourth of july weekend and i was project managing to the extreme to ensure that my trigger shot order was put in and able to be picked up before everything closed. Literally 15 min before the specialty pharmacy closed for an extended weekend i was sprinting in to grab the trigger shot, after spending days playing telephone tag to ensure timing was correct and it was ordered. This was INSANE. -Then my initial Dr went on maternity leave in the middle of my cycle, and informed me two days prior. We were in the middle of interpreting and awaiting updated results on embryos from PGT-A and PGT-M, after coming back inconclusive. This was a shock. -Finally, I was beyond struggling with my progesterone protocol post-FET and was desperate to be tapered off at the earliest possibility. I was legitimately clinically depressed and conveyed this to a nurse upon hearing that my protocol would not be changing at all even by method. She told me that they can't 'make me' take the medicine, and that my two choices were essentially continue to suffer for the sake of the pregnancy, or just take myself off entirely, because they were providing no alleviation strategy. It was the most grotesque display of utter disregard for patient wellbeing, and frankly this nurse should reconsider her profession. After sending a desperate and dire email to my dr (thank god i randomly had her email) some change in protocol was suggested - suppositories and pills rather than shots. She then literally never followed up with me to check in on me after the switch. No call, no email. Nothing to confirm the switch in protocol was for the better. That was the final nail in the coffin for showing me how little RMA cared for me as a patient. -When I was able to come off the drugs entirely, I received a curt email: "Your levels are adequate and you can stop your endometrin today." This, after 40k and 8 months. Can you imagine? -I'm still waiting to hear from the nurse managers to discuss my experience. Nothing. No followup despite my explicit request to be contacted. And so here I am.
NY - Downtown

I loved my doctor but RMA at times did feel like a factory and like I was a number. Some of the doctors were better than others. I wish I had been able to only see Dr. Sekhon but downtown office was not as convenient for me so I usually saw a different MD each visit at Eastside which made it feel less personal. Very clean during COVID and good screening process.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Speaking of just Dr. Sekhon and not RMA, I couldn't be happier with the care she provided, specifically during the IVF process. From even before starting IVF, she demystified the process for me and shared many stories that made me feel more comfortable with the process. She was patient with me, going through the timeline of events and what to expect in detail along the way. Every time we spoke she eased my anxiety. I did not see her every visit but I would travel further from UES to downtown often because I always felt better seeing her than other providers. She was warm, yet straight to the point. Great bedside manner. I trusted the care she was giving me. I also appreciate how available she was over email when I had burning questions that I didn't want to wait until the next appointment- this is huge when going through something so emotional/time consuming. While I wish I did not have to do IVF of course, I feel lucky to have found Dr. Sekhon, and I could not recommend her more.
She is an incredibly busy clinician with lots of patients. If you need her REACH OUT and she will be there for you.
Dr. Sekhon was kind, empathetic and very personal. She NEVER made me feel stupid for asking questions and always took time to explain the process in ways that made me and my husband understand. She was always available over email, including weekends and time off. We had shared decision making and made me feel very comfortable and supported. I trusted what she said because she never steered me wrong. I appreciated her candid but warm nature and her confidence provided me with comfort during this process. She also always asked me how work was and how my family was doing.
Connie the nurse was very helpful and knew my info well, but I did not always talk to her. The other nurses did not know my course as well and sometimes gave me misinformation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Once did not get a call with results and had to call myself. A few times never got an email for an appointment for monitoring (during covid).
2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Sekhon was always available for questions. She even called me back to discuss concerns while she was on vacation!... takes the time to explain her rational and the research behind her recommendations. She reviewed every single test result and scan even if she did not complete them herself...honest when we faced set backs and was willing to fight for treatments and approaches that were not “cookie cutter” but which she felt would yield the best outcomes.
there are multiple locations for you to choose the location most convenient for your monitoring, they [RMA of New York] run testing in-house which means there is no wait time for results. Morning monitoring can be crowded depending on the location you go to...[Dr. Sekhon] was honest when we faced set backs and was willing to fight for treatments and approaches that were not “cookie cutter” but which she felt would yield the best outcomes.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sekhon is patient with questions and takes the time to explain her rational and the research behind her recommendations. She reviewed every single test result and scan even if she did not complete them herself. She was honest when we faced set backs and was willing to fight for treatments and approaches that were not “cookie cutter” but which she felt would yield the best outcomes.
Advocate for yourself and don’t be afraid to ask questions. There are no dumb questions in this process. Put together a list and email them or ask for a phone consult. You will get all of your answers.
Dr. Sekhon was always available for questions. She even called me back to discuss concerns while she was on vacation! Her approach was compassionate and available which was much appreciated.
Originally diagnosed with unexplained infertility with healthy AMH so we started with IUIs as a less invasive treatment. When we moved on to IVF, we started on low doses because we had responded well to Clomid. However, as it became obvious that I was a poor responder we adjusted medications each cycle (micro dose lupron, estrogen priming, lupron long cycle/fresh transfer) to maximize success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Connie is incredible. Always answered questions and made sure that I understood the results and next steps.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA’s strengths is that there are multiple locations for you to choose the location most convenient for your monitoring, they run testing in-house which means there is no wait time for results. Morning monitoring can be crowded depending on the location you go to.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It generally was very efficient. The weekends required longer waits because only the Eastside location remained open. Your wait time really depends on the office you go to (Soho office was generally faster than Eastside)
Our total cost to ourselves was under $3k because our insurance paid for most of it.
Describe Lucky Sekhon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
No concerns

2018 - 2019, 36 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Thornton was very thorough in her explanations and helped me answer all my questions. I went through 2 cycles of egg freezing with her. The first time I was nervous and the 2nd time was during the beginning of the pandemic. She kept me and my partner informed and calm throughout the whole process...
Monitoring hours were very well run. The [RMA of NY] clinic and staff had it down to a tee - I mentioned coming in and needing to go to work right after. I did not miss a meeting...The staff was very organized, even on the weekends when it was busy...Be honest and direct about what you want to know and how you're feeling- it will only help you with the process
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton was very thorough. I went to her for both of my egg retrievals and she made the process very smooth for me. She was even able to double my egg retrieval count on the second round!! I felt fully informed and she answered all my questions (I had a lot and even messed up doing the first set of mixtures). I went out of my way to see her - flew to NYC and stayed there for 2 weeks, when I live in Austin, Texas. I also had my 2nd retrieval during the early stages of the pandemic, so you can imagine the additional stress that caused. Dr. Thornton made sure I felt comfortable and helped ease all my worries during the process. Very highly recommended!
Come with any and all questions!! Be honest and direct about what you want to know and how you're feeling- it will only help you with the process :)
Dr. Thornton was very thorough in her explanations and helped me answer all my questions. I went through 2 cycles of egg freezing with her. The first time I was nervous and the 2nd time was during the beginning of the pandemic. She kept me and my partner informed and calm throughout the whole process!
I remember my dosage was higher during my 2nd retrieval and I was very pleased. Dr. Thornton doubled my egg retrieval and it helped me feel more secure about my future possibilities :)
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The staff was very organized, even on the weekends when it was busy. I live in Austin, TX and swapped stories with my friends or colleagues who did treatment here and it was worlds apart. Long waits, disorganized or mean staff - I did NOT experience any of that and felt very lucky to be going through my treatment with Dr. Thornton and their staff
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is very organized. I went in before work and did not have to wait long - I was even able to make my early morning meetings! Even on the weekends, when it was busy, the clinic did a great job of seeing patients and letting us know what the next step would be. They take care of you so you don't have to worry! We already have enough on our plate to worry about :)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were very well run. The clinic and staff had it down to a tee - I mentioned coming in and needing to go to work right after. I did not miss a meeting!
I had fertility insurance through Progyny at work.
This did not apply to me
NY - Downtown

[Dr. Lucky Sekhon] really seems to tailor her conversations and treatments to the specific patient...answers all your questions and makes you feel comfortable...decided we would incorporate clomid into my protocol with injectables since I have an excellent response with that...did a closely monitored TI with a trigger shot and I fell pregnant...do not think it would've happened without her guidance, reassurance and just generally easing my anxiety
I see Dr Sekhon at the Downtown location [RMA of New York]. Its small and never overcrowded. I get in and out of the office quickly. Monitoring hours could be a little earlier...the midtown east location can be a bit of a cattle call...The receptionist at the downtown location could brush up on her people skills a little...[nurses] are very informed and answers questions with ease.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr Sekhon is such a breath of fresh air compare to my last RE. She is kind, respectful, detailed in her responses and generally seems to care. She never makes you feel like you are a number. She really knows what she is talking about and is on top of all the latest studies and treatment options. She never just does something because that is just what is typically done. She really seems to tailor her conversations and treatments to the specific patient and really goes out of her way to make sure that she answers all your questions and makes you feel comfortable. She has also been through IVF herself so she actually knows what her patients are going through physically and mentally. I cannot recommend her more.
Be completely open and honest with her. Tell her all the supplements you are taking, she will tell you which ones you actually need, unlike many who say you don't need to take anything. Ask her lots of questions in general. She will answer them all even if they seem ridiculous.
Dr Sekhon really takes the time to talk to you and work with you on your treatments. She always responds to emails or calls in a super timely manner. She never makes you feel silly for asking questions and always respects when you advocate for yourself. She just really gets it and understands its not just the infertility that needs to be treated, its also the anxiety that goes along with it. She works really hard to set your mind at ease. She doesn't sugarcoat, but she is also not cold and matter of fact like many RE's are.
We did 3 clomid and one gonal-f, then one clomid & gonal-f iui cycles with her that were all unsuccessful. We decided to go back to TI, while waiting to begin a very tailored IVF protocol. Dr Sekhon decided we would incorporate clomid into my protocol with injectables since I have an excellent response with that. I had 5 follicles with just gonal-f and clomid. We did a closely monitored TI with a trigger shot and I fell pregnant March 2020. My baby is due in November 2020. Thankfully this all happened since Covid would have absolutely set us back. Even though this pregnancy did happen "naturally", I do not think it would've happened without her guidance, reassurance and just generally easing my anxiety. Infertility takes away so much more than just your ability to have a baby. There needs to be more RE's like Dr Sekhon out there. She is your biggest advocate, and at the end of the day, that is what you need most on this journey. Not someone trying to hit numbers, but someone who really truly wants you to get pregnant no matter what.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Connie Schmidt )
The nurses on Dr Sekhon's staff are great. They always call you right back. They are very informed and answers questions with ease.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I see Dr Sekhon at the Downtown location. Its small and never overcrowded. I get in and out of the office quickly. Monitoring hours could be a little earlier. 7:30 is a little late. But the midtown east location can be a bit of a cattle call, but I think that is true for just about every practice at the larger locations. The receptionist at the downtown location could brush up on her people skills a little.
IVF is around 15k minus cost of meds and IUI runs around $350 w/o insurance.
She said because we already had one child she recommends one embryo transfer since we do not want to have more than 2 kids.
NY - Downtown

I found Dr. Thornton to be very nice and she did spend time with us during consults. But I also felt like her advice was cookie cutter and not specific to our situation. She was rushed through all of our exams and only performed one of my IUI's herself, which was also incredibly brief...The attention to detail and individual patient experience just wasn't there for us.
RMA is so big. It's like going to Amazon.com for fertility care. There are benefits to being big, one of which is that they have to report their success numbers and thusly want and need to see real results. But being a huge clinic also means you definitely feel like a number, just being processed in a system...It wasn't until I went to a different doctor and had a much better and more thorough experience that I realized how off the whole RMA experience was.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
I found Dr. Thornton to be very nice and she did spend time with us during consults. But I also felt like her advice was cookie cutter and not specific to our situation. She was rushed through all of our exams and only performed one of my IUI's herself, which was also incredibly brief. I'd later learn from a different doctor that my cervix is has a deep curve and it is actually pretty challenging to get the catheter into my uterus to do the IUI. Considering how lightning fast and completely painless all of my IUI's at RMA were, it's likely they were never even placing the sperm inside my uterus at all. So I would say the speed at which thing are handled by Dr. Thornton and other RMA doctors is problematic. The attention to detail and individual patient experience just wasn't there for us.
I would say come in with ever question you have ready to go for each visit. If you get to see her during a cycle, your time with her will be brief so make sure you know what you want to ask.
Dr. Thornton is very nice and during the initial consult for IUI and then IVF, she did give us a lot of time to talk things through. But when it came to the actual visits for the IUI's, everything felt really rushed and like I was just a number they were ushering through the system. If she was around to do my mid-cycle ultrasound she would comment on the same things each time. And each visit was remarkably quick. At the time I thought it was normal and that they just had a lot of patients. It wasn't until I went to a different doctor and had a much better and more thorough experience that I realized how off the whole RMA experience was.
For all three of my IUI cycles, I took clomid for 5 days and did the ovidrel shot for ovulation. She explained that this was the best option for people with unexplained infertility, but I can't remember the exact reasoning now. No changes were made to the drug course and no one made sure the timing was exact and certainly the IUI's went faster than they likely should have. We did not get pregnant from any of the IUI's.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
There were many times when I arrived at RMA and when the nurses called me they wouldn't even give me instructions for what was about to happen. For example my first time for my mid-cycle ultrasound, I had to ask if I was supposed to undress from the waist down. I think the nurses were overwhelmed because RMA is a busy place, but yeah, it just felt like we really weren't important there.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is so big. It's like going to Amazon.com for fertility care. There are benefits to being big, one of which is that they have to report their success numbers and thusly want and need to see real results. But being a huge clinic also means you definitely feel like a number, just being processed in a system. And there were a lot of small slip-ups at RMA, like the fact that my husband and I hadn't even said we were ready for an IVF cycle and the billing department started emailing me for my credit card information. I know mistakes like that could happen anywhere, but I think if RMA was smaller it would be easier to keep track of these things.
Each IUI cycle cost $700. Consultations with Dr. Thornton were $150. My insurance covers no treatments at all so it was all out of pocket for me.
We did a consult about IVF and I believe Dr. Thonrton felt eSET was the only safe way to go, but I'm not 100% positive about that.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
As I mentioned there were issues with an assumption that I was starting an IVF cycle and reaching out for billing info when I hadn't agreed to starting yet. Also, the records at RMA aren't in a digital portal so getting a copy of my records to bring to another doctor took over 2 weeks. 2 weeks might not sound like a big deal, but when every cycle counts when you're trying to conceive, 2 weeks can throw the timing off of a next cycle where you wanted to start treatment.
NY - Downtown

5 Embryo Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
[Dr. Kim Thornton] rarely made herself available to speak with me regarding medication questions and concerns I had. I found her to be detached, inconsiderate, and lacking in empathy...When I asked her about some of the emerging trends in medical journals regarding new treatment approaches for women my age she was not aware of them. I do not believe she fully evaluated my prior protocols to appropriately consider making modifications as she insisted on continuing with a treatment protocol that had failed twice.
I was covered by insurance for my treatments and medications (which was confirmed in advance by their billing department), however RMA still required me to pay $2000 (just in case)...I felt most times I was in the office for monitoring that I was part of a cattle-call. they also overcharge patients and are very slow to reimburse for overcharges...The nursing staff treated patients like cattle. It was very difficult to get them on the phone to answer questions or request information.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton lacks both compassion and apparent scholarship. When I asked her about some of the emerging trends in medical journals regarding new treatment approaches for women my age she was not aware of them. I do not believe she fully evaluated my prior protocols to appropriately consider making modifications as she insisted on continuing with a treatment protocol that had failed twice. She did not listen to my needs or concerns as a patient and made me fel very devalued. She lacked a signifcant degree of compassion for my unique circumstances.
Consider choosing a more scholarly, engaged and empathetic Provider. Dr. Thornton is none of these.
Dr. Thornton rarely made herself available to speak with me regarding medication questions and concerns I had. I found her to be detached, inconsiderate, and lacking in empathy
She kept my doses very high of Follistim (from prior two cycles) despite my asking for an adjustment. She also added additional Menopur and LEtrozole over the amounts used in my prior cycles. I suggested that she was over-medicating me she did not heed my concerns. I ended up developing very three large follicular cysts which were atretic (like my prior two cycles) and her other follicles failed to grow after a certain point.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
When you leave RMA you have the lingering sense of "quantity over quality." I felt most times I was in the office for monitoring that I was part of a cattle-call. they also overcharge patients and are very slow to reimburse for overcharges.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
As previously mentioned it was an extensive cattle-call. Medical Assistants were also not very adept at venipuncture nor did they listen to my specific requirements which resulted in multiple punctures (more than 5 on one occasion)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During one examination a physician told me that my follicles (5 of them) had magically disappeared. Despite this distressing news (which was inaccurate), I could not get my physician on the phone to clarify this alarming statement. The nurses failed to order my trigger shot and did not realize the error until the day of my trigger. As previously mentioned, Dr. Thornton over-medicated me which led to poor results.
NY - Downtown

Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way.... Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace,
Convenient locations [RMANY] and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file....My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way. I started treatment when I was 32 - she basically told me I could or could not do PGS testing given my age. 4 transfers later with 2 miscarriages (1 ectopic) and 2 failed transfers I am frustrated that little was changed from cycle to cycle and we were encouraged to make other changes (such as PGS testing or supplemental changes).
She is great within RMA, but RMA has a million patients. If you are meeting the standard protocol, she is great, but may be less so with special cases.
Dr. Thornton personally called me many times and I know she truly cared about my outcome. That said, RMA is a huge clinic so she only had so much time to dedicate to an individual patient.
Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace, estrace patch and progesterone shots. After first pregnancy resulted in ectopic they added a baby aspirin. Only other change was in my fourth transfer, taking 1 dose of estrace vaginally to increase the thickness of my lining.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I had a few nurses call me most frequently. They were nice and very professional, but not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Convenient locations and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Madison office is a nightmare. They often opened late at the Downtown facility, but the staff there is great.
Covered by insurance. Probably paid $2K out of pocket.
I wish the rationale (eSET) had been explained to me more BEFORE my treatment. I think given my weight they considered it far too risky to have twins or other multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During my ectopic pregnancy, I was given no warning and told I had to come in for shots at 3:30pm by the EOD (5pm) all the way uptown. This resulted in me looking unprofessional in my job, not to mention the emotional turmoil. My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
NY - Downtown

She [Dr. Kimberly Thornton] sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results...It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks...Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions...During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes...not value evidence-based treatment...The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.
The biggest problem or RMA is communication. There is no patient portal and you can only get partial verbal information from a phone call from a nurse. RMA does not provide a consistent treatment procedure. The experiences are very different based on your doctor and nurse...For IUI, RMA took bloodwork on Day 3 and will send an email to let you know when to come in for ultrasound and trigger shot and the date for IUI. During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes. RMA does not share that information by default. Nurse
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results. RMA does not provide a patient portal system and she does not share all the test results, not mention to review them or responds to them. It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks.
If you are under 35-year old, lucky and healthy, it might be OK to work with Dr. Thornton. If you are older and cannot waste your time, do not work with her. Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions.
Dr. Thornton is warm and polite. However, the whole process is a one-way approach. She applies the same treatments and has never adjusted them based on the test results or previous failure cycle. She is not interested in increasing my odds but sales the treatment cycle one after another.
The nurse plays a key role in IVF and IUI procedure. Melissa tends to ignore emails and has never clearly explained the procedure. She fails to communicate all of my test results or check my records. When she is on vacation, no one coves her duty. Things can easily fall through cracks. It is nerve-breaking to work with her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I pay co-pays and medication for IUI procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Dr. Thornton and her team do not value evidence-based treatment. They do not communicate, review all test results or investigate the best treatment for each person. The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Thornton is great at following standard operating procedures, but doesn't provide a high quality of care. She is incredibly risk averse. I often felt I knew more about my course of treatment through internet research then what she was able to tell me. She doesn't seem to care about her patients and doesn't always follow through on what she describes as "next steps" in course of treatment. After 3 years, I feel like I can't trust her and have little confidence in what she says.
The nursing staff [at RMA of New York]... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized...Monitoring was awful. A room full of dozens of women waiting to be seen. Wait times were erratic. Sometimes it was 10 minutes, sometimes it was an hour and 10 minutes...During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Don't bother... find another doctor.
At RMA, expect to feel like a one of thousands of patients that are pushed through the system. You won't be allowed to speak to someone when you call. You won't actually see your doctor when you have an appointment. When you do manage to see your doctor, they will not follow through on what they said in previous appointments. If you have thoughts on your treatment, they won't listen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nursing staff... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized. If I wasn't an organized intelligent and highly educated person... I wouldn't have had the medication I needed to continue with treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The phlebatomist is the only pleasant person who knows what she is doing and does it well. The receptionist is awful. She's cosntantly scowling and rude to patients. Her temperament would be better suited for someone who didn't have to interact with people. During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
NY - Downtown

At the end of the day, my IVF procedure worked and I am pregnant. I transitioned to Dr. Sekhon from a doctor who left the clinic and the transition was messy and often fraught with bad communication and lack of compassion...she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email... treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
RMA doesn’t really allow the conversation of having more than one egg transferred OR discounting subsequent transfer cycles for patients under 35...At times in the process you can definitely feel that RMA is more concerned with their own stats than your individual patient case. They are rigid in their standards (which are top notch) but sometimes to a fault..The phlebotomist is really great at RMA! Also shoutout to Nurse Melissa who is lovely and often went above and beyond. I felt she explained things to me in a way doctor Sekhon was not capable of and always showed compassion. The coordinator, Jennifer, is sweet and was helpful but definitely inexperienced.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Ask all the questions- she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email.
Dr. Sekhon treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
I believe I did the antagonist protocol and had to do 13 days of shoes because my follicles took awhile to develop.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Needle)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call and often created conflicts with work because they were completely inflexible. The front desk admin sent out bloodwork for the day multiple times before monitoring hours were over, leading to issues with same day results.
I had insurance coverage that was capped at $10k for lifetime maximum so paid a few thousand out of pocket at least . I was ultimately able to get my medications covered but only because someone from Glow suggested I fight for it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The clinic and transition between doctors felt at times messy. In particular, the receptionist/admin had a terrible attitude and was hard to navigate.

2015 - 2018, Successful
Dr Davis has an excellent bedside manner and does a great job thoroughly explaining different methods and approaches to treatment. He is very prompt in responding to emails and addresses any concerns. Communicating with Dr. Davis feels like a dialogue between two equal partners instead of a one-sided conversation... Dr. Davis was a strong advocate for transferring a single embryo for all of our transfer cycles. Given my age there wasn't a real reason to transfer multiple embryos and the risk associated with multiples was not one we felt we needed to take at this point.
[RMA of NY-Downtown's] Strengths: Staff are very prompt in responding to questions via email or phone. Weaknesses: Lack of coordination and multiple follow up emails/calls needed for the same question. Not always supportive/compassionate.... Most of my monitoring is done remotely as I live of out state, however when I have gone to appointments at RMA the offices are always clean and staff are friendly. The Manhattan – Eastside office is particularly busy and can be a bit overwhelming during monitoring hours but their process is very efficient which helps.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
You are your best advocate. Speak up if you have questions/concerns and educate yourself on your treatment options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Dr. Davis clearly explains all of our treatment options and makes time to answer all of our questions. He is kind and approachable and seems to truly care about about the outcome of our treatment.
Describe the protocols Joseph Davis used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
freeze all - antagonist protocol with birth control bills
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Most of my monitoring is done remotely, but when I have gone to monitoring hours it's been at the Manhattan – Eastside office which is quite busy. That being said they are very efficient and if you get there early you can get in and out rather quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Davis at RMA of New York.
Insurance did not cover any of my treatment. Both freeze-all cycles were approx. $15K + $2-4K for medications. Transfers were approx. $2,500 + medications.
Describe Joseph Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
At times there is a lack of coordination between staff which has resulted in numerous emails or phone calls to resolve a single issue or clarify a particular part of the suggested protocol (for example: medication dosage, follow up appointment dates, billing issues). If you're able to communicate directly with your coordinator and the few nurses that are familiar with your specific treatment plan things go much smoother.
NY - Downtown

I feel doctor Davis cares deeply about my case, but he is not the type of doctor to get extremely personal or send follow up texts after a failed cycle. He is very straight forward and matter of fact. For me it works, because it gives me great confidence in him. He has a warm personality and has never made a consultation feel rushed.... I have a lot of questions and he answers them thoughtfully and thoroughly. During my procedures I have always felt I was in the most capable hands.
I am thrilled with Dr.Davis, his receptionist, nurse, and all of the staff [at RMA of NY] who draw blood during monitoring hours. These are the people I see most often on my visits. I have not been as happy with the coordinators, but I deal with them a lot less... Including meds I think I paid around 850-900 per IUI cycle. Including meds, ICSI & PGS testing I expect to pay somewhere around 32K for my upcoming IVF cycle
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
I am very happy with the care I have received from doctor Davis. For me he is a great fit. I have a lot of questions and he answers them thoughtfully and thoroughly. During my procedures I have always felt I was in the most capable hands. I only once felt unsatisfied. I was prescribed a medication before a procedure that had pretty bad side effects (extreme cramping and a lot of bleeding). I was not told about the side effects by my doctor, nurse, or pharmacy. I am assuming Dr. Davis thought I would be told about the side effects by the nurse, or that they would atleast be included in the booklet that comes with the medication. It was very upsetting at the time, but I don't even know who is to blame. That is my only negative experience thus far, and I believe it was an honest mistake.
Dr Davis is a wonderful doctor with a great personality. At times I feel like a number, but that is due to the high number of patients that visit his office. There are only 2 doctors at his location, and at times there are a 10 or more patients in the waiting room during monitoring hours. I think that is just a testament to what a good practice it is, and it does not hinder me in any way from going there. I believe I am receiving the best care at RMA. I think if you want to be educated about your care by a doctor that you like as a person, than Dr. Davis is a good fit for you.
I have done 2 IUIs with Dr. Davis, both with clomid and ovidrel. I did not have success with either cycle, but I was fully educated about my likelyhood of a pregnancy before proceeding. I intended on doing a third IUI, but the doctor saw a uterine polyp on my last ultrasound that needs to be removed. I am turning 37 and feel I don't want to delay any longer, so I will do an egg retrieval this month, remove the polyp the following month, and then do a frozen transfer after I recover from the polyp surgery.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I am thrilled with Dr.Davis, his receptionist, nurse, and all of the staff who draw blood during monitoring hours. These are the people I see most often on my visits. I have not been as happy with the coordinators, but I deal with them a lot less.
NY - Downtown
She made me feel comfortable asking any questions I had, and really tried to make sure I knew what was happening and when. I never felt like my visits were rushed or that I was just some name on a list of pts she had to get to that day. ... During my IVF cycle, Dr. Thornton saw me every time I went in for bloodwork/ultrasounds. ... At both my consultation appts, she spent at least 2 hours going over every step and procedure my husband and I would have to undergo.
There’s always a nurse to answer questions. The staff [RMA of New York] is overall very friendly and accommodating. Weakness: During monitoring, and especially at RMA East, you can feel like just a number. It gets super busy and sometimes you wait for upwards of a hour. Sometimes you don’t get to see your doctor, which can be stressful. ... All the monitoring hours are in the morning before work, but the earlier you go the better.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
I honestly really loved Dr. Thornton. At both my consultation appts, she spent at least 2 hours going over every step and procedure my husband and I would have to undergo. We had a particularly hard IVF cycle (8 of our 10 embryos didn’t make it after Day 4) and when I totally lost it sobbing in her office, she was so sweet and hopeful that those two embryos were all we needed. She made me feel comfortable asking any questions I had, and really tried to make sure I knew what was happening and when. I never felt like my visits were rushed or that I was just some name on a list of pts she had to get to that day.
Definitely only see her at the Downtown office, it’s so much calmer and more pleasant. She goes back and forth between it and RMA East, but RMA East is SO much busier.
During my IVF cycle, Dr. Thornton saw me every time I went in for bloodwork/ultrasounds. She answered all my questions and never made me feel like I holding her up or that she was annoyed when I had a million and one questions.
Dr. Thorntons whole team was awesome. Clarissa did all the paperwork and was very organized and on top of her stuff. Kayla did fiances and really knew her stuff. We were self pay, and she helped us figure out of there was any way to cut some costs or make it a little lighter. Melissa is the IVF nurse and not only called with all my protocol, but would also immediately follow up with an email. When I got pregnant, I experienced a lot of spotting. Melissa was awesome about answering me by email or phone, and made sure all my neurotic questions were answered and me and baby were safe.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strength: The know what they’re doing. There’s always a nurse to answer questions. The staff is overall very friendly and accommodating. Weakness: During monitoring, and especially at RMA East, you can feel like just a number. It gets super busy and sometimes you wait for upwards of a hour. Sometimes you don’t get to see your doctor, which can be stressful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
All the monitoring hours are in the morning before work, but the earlier you go the better. RMA downtown is a smaller practice so much better wait time and smoother experience. RMA East is their main office and incredibly busy. They definitely see pts who are bloodwork/ultrasound before those who are just bloodwork.
We were self pay. Only thing insurance helped with was medications (which is a huge help). IUI: about $1, 500 a cycle IVF: about $16, 000 Pregnancy monitoring: about $3, 000 PSG: $150 to do it, than $150 an egg Genetic testing: $350/person Freezing costs: $1000/year
As a 27 year old, she was only going to do single transfers until I had had 3 transfers that didn’t take. She does allow older women to transfer 2 earlier than that.
NY - Downtown

My dr [Dr. Kimberly Thornton] and I opted to do an unmedicated iui...My dr provided me with test results and said she was uncertain about something but felt safe continuing with one iui if I wanted without further testing...was very good about giving me options and helping me weigh the pros and cons of each, allowing me to make my own choices. She seemed to understand LGBT fertility care and acknowledge that it may look different from other fertility care.
Pros [at RMA of New York]: The doctors are excellent and provide great care. They have in house blood work and the nurses always managed to get my bloodwork easily and with minimal pain. The doctors listen to you. Cons: you likely won’t see your own dr for your procedure - it will likely be a stranger to you. There are so many patients that with the clinic as a while you feel very much like a number and a statistic rather than a human.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
My doctor was very good about giving me options and helping me weigh the pros and cons of each, allowing me to make my own choices. She seemed to understand LGBT fertility care and acknowledge that it may look different from other fertility care.
Know the limits and rules of the clinic.
I felt like a human with the doctor but more of a number with the clinic. Nurses that called didn’t seem to know me or my case and I had to know what my own protocol was if it was different than their standard.
I did not use any medication. I tracked my ovulation with OPK tests and called the clinic when I was ovulating and went in for iui. I did a LOT of testing before iui.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses were great with blood work and in my appointments but the nurses who called me clearly told everyone the exact same thing. If I hadn’t really advocated for myself and insisted on speaking to my doctor before purchasing medication I would have purchased unnecessary medication.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Pros: The doctors are excellent and provide great care. They have in house blood work and the nurses always managed to get my bloodwork easily and with minimal pain. The doctors listen to you. Cons: you likely won’t see your own dr for your procedure - it will likely be a stranger to you. There are so many patients that with the clinic as a while you feel very much like a number and a statistic rather than a human.
RMA was able to get all of my appointments and testing covered by insurance. I paid about $400 for my iui itself.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
-My dr and I opted to do an unmedicated iui. A nurse I had never spoken to called and told me I needed to purchase a list of medications. When I explained that I was doing unmedicated she swore that I needed this particular list either way. I had to demand to speak to my dr to clarify that I did not need medication. -My dr provided me with test results and said she was uncertain about something but felt safe continuing with one iui if I wanted without further testing. I called to schedule my iui and the nurse looked at my chart and said I could not do my iui. I was so upset thinking I couldn’t proceed and not understanding why. I asked to speak to my dr and she told me I could proceed and to come in that day.
NY - Downtown

During the few times where I saw Dr. Davis I really liked him, but most of the time I was interacting with nurses, staff, and other doctors....There was miscommunication between those people and it seemed that the staff/nurses/doctors did not read my chart....I was not quite ready to do IVF and wanted to try other options, using letrizol, ovidrel, and progesterone with timed intercourse. I liked that Dr. Davis was open to this and never pushed me to move forward before I was ready.
The clinic [RMA - Downtown] usually responds quickly to questions. They typically contact by phone, which could be tough while I was at work and involved a lot of phone tag....There were some issues with some nurses/staff not understanding my files and difficulty with communication. I also had an incident when I came on time for monitoring hours but they would not test me because the doctor's schedule was backed up. I had to take more time off work to go uptown for the test.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
During the few times where I saw Dr. Davis I really liked him, but most of the time I was interacting with nurses, staff, and other doctors. My case is a bit different from most and I had to regularly remind each person I was in contact with. There was miscommunication between those people and it seemed that the staff/nurses/doctors did not read my chart. My big issue is with RMA as a practice. I don't think I realized how much of a problem it was until I left the practice upon moving.
As Dr. Davis to ensure that you care is known across all members of the RMA team.
Most of the nurses and doctors at RMA were kind, friendly, and sensitive
I was not quite ready to do IVF and wanted to try other options, using letrizol, ovidrel, and progesterone with timed intercourse. I liked that Dr. Davis was open to this and never pushed me to move forward before I was ready. It was difficult that it never felt like we were trying to figure out what is wrong, but just trying solutions. None of these treatments ended in pregnancy. When IVF was a next step, I was moving out of state and did not continue at RMA for that reason.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
there were several nurses and I never knew who to contact. This was where problems arose with each nurse not knowing my care plan. I had to explain it repeatedly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic usually responds quickly to questions. They typically contact by phone, which could be tough while I was at work and involved a lot of phone tag. I asked to be emailed and that made things much easier. There are several locations that you can go to for monitoring hours, but this was not always clear, so just ask.
NY - Downtown

On my first visit, Dr. Davis was INCREDIBLY thorough and thoughtful. He spent almost two hours with me and my husband, walking us through the female reproductive organs (this may sound simple, but there was A LOT we didn't know!), how various hormones effect follicle growth, ovulation, etc. and why, based on my blood tests, I might not be ovulating. ...With each cycle, Dr. Davis took time to explain how the medication worked and how he expected it would affect me / my body.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
I was referred to Dr. Davis in early 2017, when I failed to resume a normal menstrual cycle after months off birth control (and failing the progesterone challenge, abnormal blood tests, etc.). On my first visit, Dr. Davis was INCREDIBLY thorough and thoughtful. He spent almost two hours with me and my husband, walking us through the female reproductive organs (this may sound simple, but there was A LOT we didn't know!), how various hormones effect follicle growth, ovulation, etc. and why, based on my blood tests, I might not be ovulating. Over the course of six months, we tried various medications to induce ovulation - Clomid, Provera, and then injectables. With each cycle, Dr. Davis took time to explain how the medication worked and how he expected it would affect me / my body. He always took care to walk us through all of our various treatment options (pros and cons) and allowed us to choose the path that felt the most comfortable to us. I am thrilled to report that I am now 18 weeks pregnant with our first child (it was a bittersweet day when we "graduated" from Dr. Davis to the OB/GYN)! I am so grateful for the care and support I received while a patient of Dr. Davis. I would also note that the downtown RMA office is small (compared to the large uptown location) and very efficiently run. Everyone from the nurses to the finance staff were pleasant to work with (and very responsive to calls and questions along the way). I personally appreciated that Dr. Davis has a holistic approach to treatment and I took advantage of the on-staff nutritionist (Dara Godfrey) and took him up on suggestion to try acupuncture as well. All in all, I think Dr. Davis is a phenomenal doctor with a wonderful bedside manner and I would highly recommend him and his practice to anyone undergoing fertility treatments.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The downtown office is small and very efficiently run. Would highly recommend it over the East Side location, which is large and can be very crowded (you'll have to go to the East Side location for weekend monitoring hours regardless)
The vast majority of my care was covered by insurance. The RMA finance team took care to work with my insurance company when any questions arose.