Natan Bar-Chama

Westchester
311 North St
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

Dr. Thornton is nice and somewhat caring but she did not listen to me when I wanted to get the full work up done. I emailed her listed of test and Informed her that I would like to get all of the blood work out of they way...Dr. Thornton did not give me advice or answers on why I was miscarriage...When I went for office visits, I saw a rotating set of doctors instead of my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. I felt more like a number then a human at RMA.
There was a lack of communication between staff [at RMA]. My primary nurse was hard to get in contact didn’t have her direct line or email...RMA gave me misinformation about prescriptions covered/not covered multiple times. i had to call and clarify everything with my insurance company because of RMA’s lack of knowledge and follow through. They also sent me to the wrong place to get blood work done twice with no apologies or anything.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is nice and somewhat caring but she did not listen to me when I wanted to get the full work up done. I emailed her listed of test and Informed her that I would like to get all of the blood work out of they way. But that was not the case. I had to go for more blood work (that should have need done the first time around). They probably wanted to just be able to charge me the fee of an office visit. Dr. Thornton did not give me advice or answers on why I was miscarriage. She just offered to keep trying with IVF so RMA could rack in the cash
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Stay on top of your care and ask questions if you do or know why is happening or why it is happening. Research on your own and stay informed of proper protocol. Check and recheck all of the suggested methods.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
There was a complete lack of communication between the doctors, nurses and financial/ insurance authorization department. Multiple doctors would see me and information was not getting communicated to my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. The nurses would send me for blood work to their Madison location only to find out that certain tests had to be done through quest diagnostics. I had to get blood taken at multiple times at different locations due to communication problems with the RMA’s authorization protocol. Also, when I was miscarriage get no doctors on call would get back to me. RMA does not give out direct lines to your doctors or nurses assigned to you, so when you call in with a question or problem, it takes 20 minutes to get to the right person’s voicemail Then, you have to wait for a call back which was complete inconvenient because you get caught in a game of phone tag without anyone actually answering your question. RMA’s system of communicationis completely unrealistic exspecially as a full time professional. The nurses who take your blood are rude and have awful bedside manner. The just see you as a number and do not treat you as a patient. When I was spotting, I went to go and get my levels checked to see how the pregnancy was doing and the nurse got annoyed with me that I went after monitoring hours! Even after I told her what the situation was and informed her of my past two miscarriages! Do not go here if you want to be treated like a human being
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: I was provided with multiple which was very confusing )
There was a lack of communication between staff. My primary nurse was hard to get in contact didn’t have her direct line or email. They changed my care coordinator 3 times with out even telling me. I also got complete misinformation regarding which perscriptions were covered/not covered. They also referred me to a pharmacy that charged me 3 times the amount Walgreens charged. The care coordinator gave me complete misinformation which made the process more confusing, frustrating, and stressful!
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is clean. They have protocols in place. The Dr.’s are nice. Runs like a machine with a lot of moving parts. Hard to contact nurses and doctors directly. You call and contect to the main office on Madison Ave regardless of what location you go to. Once you get an operator, they transfer you call to the local office and you have to restate why you are calling before they transfer you or take a message. When I went for office visits, I saw a rotating set of doctors instead of my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. I felt more like a number then a human at RMA. They are efficient at IVF but lack a human touch. I felt like a cash cow to RMA. The process is hard enough, you don’t need the added stress of dealing with the office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7:30-9:30. Sometimes the wait was 45 minutes other times it was 10-20 minutes. You can get your blood drawn at other offices if needed which was convenient. But you have to go to the Madison office for all procedures done, IUI, IVF, etc.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York.
My insurance covered almost of the procedures but we still spent around 5,000 for copays, medication and blood work. We spent an additional 5 for PGS testing and embryo storing.
Describe Kimberley Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I did PGS testing on all embroils before the transfer. Single embryo transfer reduces risks and pregnancy complications so I agreed with doing the single embryo transfer to minimize risk
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
RMA gave me misinformation about prescriptions covered/not covered multiple times. i had to call and clarify everything with my insurance company because of RMA’s lack of knowledge and follow through. They also sent me to the wrong place to get blood work done twice with no apologies or anything. I also informed the head nurse who never got back to me about the situation. Horrible communication and customer care/support
NY - Downtown

She [Dr. Kim Thornton] was professional, kind and ultimately got the job done! I think her only weakness is that she seems young and my husband and I sometimes found her manner of speech to be a bit millenial-esque. But that's being very nit-picky!...I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coo
I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic [RMA of New York] is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coo
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She was professional, kind and ultimately got the job done! I think her only weakness is that she seems young and my husband and I sometimes found her manner of speech to be a bit millenial-esque. But that's being very nit-picky!
Communication with the office was very convenient. I was assigned a coordinator who helped implement the doctor's treatment plan and was easily available by email (and phone if I needed it). Plus, I got to see my doctor every time I was there and she knew us and our case well. I never felt 'lost' in their system.
Describe the protocols Kimberley Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol - retrieval (Gonal F 150IU sub Q daily; Menopur 2 vials sub Q daily; Ganirelix 1 PFS sub Q daily; Trigger: leuprolide, 40IU Sub Q once when directed plus 1 x 1,000IU of Novarel hCG; Azithromycin Two x 500mg for husband) Transfer: Estrace 1 x 2mg tablets up to 3x daily at times, Progesterone in Oil up to 2 ccs injected intramuscularly at times, Medrol 1 tab PO QD x 7 days; Two x 500mg Azithromycin) I can't say I remember what the rationale was for using this protocol, I assumed I just got 'the usual.' Results: retrieved 11 eggs, nine survived overnight, eight embryos survived after five days and four were free of genetic defects after PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Felix)
Overall, very easy to get in touch with as I had several questions along the way. Email was best for me and them. Phone calls were fine, too, sometimes had to wait for a call back, obviously.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I am currently 20 weeks pregnant from my one and only IVF transfer with RMA. Our issue was male factor infertility. We were lucky to get pregnant on the first try. I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coordinator directly most of the time. There are periods of intense communication and frequent visits and they all went smoothly. RMA is a very big operation and I did have to go to the midtown office several times for any weekend check ups, retrieval and transfer. Things were fine there though it's much more busy and less comfy as a patient. Overall, our experience was overwhelmingly positive and drama free, perhaps because it was brief and free of complications. However, should we decide to do another embryo transfer, I would certainly go back to RMA again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
As mentioned, this office is small, I could be the first person seen if I got there by 7:15 (they open the doors at 7:30). Things ran quickly and smoothly. Never really got very crowded.
I had to pay 25% of care with insurance covering 75% (about $1,500 out of pocket). We also opted for PGS, $2,000 to RMA and $2,000 to laboratory. Caveat: I believe some insurance charges are still pending so...hopefully this is still true in a few months!
2016, 1 Egg Frozen
Dr Talebian was very caring and took extra time to talk to me and answer calls. She was not always there and not always the doctor on call to help me. It was hard to tell in my case because the results of the very expensive procedure were not what I wanted or had hoped for, so it was overall disappointing. She handled that well I think, though I never felt I had as much time as I wanted with her...
[RMA - Downtown is]...A bit like a factory. Very nice and smart, but often felt business-like and I often wondered if I was getting the BEST protocol and price for me, or if I was just one amongst dozens of women... overall it was professional and organized. They helped a lot with finances and structure...The nurses were all great and patient...it was just that they were ALWAYS different. Very caring, but inconsistent. They just all seemed very busy...
How was your experience with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
Push hard. They will whisk you through if you don't demand answers and work really hard to understand and push for the best treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
The folks at RMA were always kind, patient and considerate. They were also busy, efficient and tactical. I often felt rushed and like I couldn't ask all of my questions. The doctors always treated me like a human, but I always also felt that I wasn't getting complete information.
Describe the protocols Sheeva Talebian used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I started with the pill for 3 weeks, which was based on my low AMH numbers. Then I did a standard protocol for a long cycle (meds were very costly). I had 3 eggs we hoped to retrieve and we only got one.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Easy and pretty efficient...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York.
$14k. They did give me a small discount to get started and they advised about med costs.

2015, Successful
She [Dr. Knopman] was great and made us feel very comfortable. When we had bad news she was honest and kind and gave her opinion of what she would do if she was in our position, which I appreciated. When she had good news she was as excited as we were... was very personable and genuine. I felt she treated me as if I were a good friend of hers and she truly wanted us to succeed.
The nurses [at RMA of New York] seemed nice but since I was not seeing the same nurse consistently they didn't have much of a connection to patients...when transferring embryos to our new clinic their embryologist didn't send paperwork for weeks which delayed our cycle. I basically called begging, what did I need to do to get her to send the single page delaying our cycle. Four weeks after she said she sent it, she finally did it.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
She was great and made us feel very comfortable. When we had bad news she was honest and kind and gave her opinion of what she would do if she was in our position, which I appreciated. When she had good news she was as excited as we were.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Similar to any fertility appointment I found that I often quickly forgot details after I left the office or hung up the phone. I learned to take notes during appointments, also to write down any questions in advance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Knopman was very personable and genuine. I felt she treated me as if I were a good friend of hers and she truly wanted us to succeed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses seemed nice but since I was not seeing the same nurse consistently they didn't have much of a connection to patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The only pro I have of RMA downtown was it's convenient location and that we saw Dr. Knopman there. I disliked pretty much everything else. Their admin staff tried to tell us a $10,000 out of pocket test was required and our cycle was cancelled until we did it. Dr. Knopman had told us this was absolutely not the case since we had already done screening for tay sachs and we were not carriers. I had to get Dr. Knopman to step in. Nobody else would listen to me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring during the week wasn't too bad. Usually in and out in an hour. On the weekends they warned us that if we weren't there right when we opened we wouldn't be seen for 5+ hours which I think is unacceptable. We always came super early on the weekends so we only waited about an hour and a half. It seems like if the wait gets that long why not have more staff on hand?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York.
about $22,000 fully out of pocket
Describe Jaime Knopman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
She offered us the option to transfer two but said with my age being on the younger side she thought we would be fine to transfer one. We said we did not want twins and she respected that decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
At one point our patient coordinator insisted we were required to do a $10k out of pocket test or our cycle was cancelled. This was was absolutely not true and she refused to budge until Dr. Knopman herself stepped in. After that mishap which did delay our cycle RMA apologized and had our case transferred to a director but I was furious and feel this kind of mistake should have never happened. During our cycle I forgot where to administer the trigger shot and called the nurse line in the afternoon explaining I was supposed to trigger at 9pm and asked for a call back. I called again at 7pm and 8pm and never got a call back from anyone. In the morning I called only to learn I had done it in the wrong spot and they had me come in for blood work to see if I needed a "trigger booster." Luckily things were fine but it was so frustrating since it could have totally been avoided. Later when transferring embryos to our new clinic their embryologist didn't send paperwork for weeks which delayed our cycle. I basically called begging, what did I need to do to get her to send the single page delaying our cycle. Four weeks after she said she sent it, she finally did it.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr Talebian was completely professional, smart, compassionate, knowledgable, caring and very kind. My experience with her was EXCELLENT! I am currently about to start another IVF cycle for a second child and I tracked her down at her new clinic (CCRM) just to make sure she was my doctor again. I recommend her highly!!!...Dr Talebian was wonderful every step of the way! She always replied to every email and phone call with detailed answers to my questions. She was very approachable and made sure I understood everything. She was kind, generous, funny and always treated me with absolute respect.
This was a real pain at RMA! I had to go to Midtown Manhattan for certain procedures or on the weekends which was not as convenient and monitoring hours were only early in the morning and there were always tons of women waiting. At CCRM now, it's MUCH better. You can schedule monitoring any time!...IUIs were about $1000 each (plus the cost of sperm). The whole IVF cycle was about $15,000 plus $5k for genetic testing and $5k for meds.
How was your experience with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask anything! She is totally nonjudgmental and always responded to all my questions (some of which were kind of crazy!) with patience, compassion and clarity.
Honestly, I don't remember all the details. But she described everything well and I opted for the conservative choices and I paid extra expenses to try to maximize my potential success, including genetic testing and ICSI. My only regret (not her fault at all) is that I feel I spent too much time on IUIs and should have gone to IVF sooner. She had recommended this but was totally understanding of my choice not to.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Locations were good. I did not like that monitoring only was early in the morning
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Describe Sheeva Talebian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
She highly recommended single embryo transfer because I did genetic testing on the embryos.

2015, Unsuccessful
Pregnancy did not result from my treatment with Dr. Knapman, which skews my response, but overall I thought she was fine. I wish she had considered factors such as diet, potential immune or lifestyle issues, or suggested supplementary treatment or investigation of the reason that my transfer of a seemingly healthy embryo did not work. Upon completing treatment with her, I have spoken to many other people who mention their doctors suggesting acupuncture, reaching an ideal weight, tracking basal body temperature to determine ideal transfer time, etc. There was very little discussion about any of those things - I was especially concerned with the timing of IUI because I was using frozen donor sperm which does not stay alive as long as fresh sperm, but she seemed to apply a formulaic approach. Overall, she was nice and seemed to know her stuff, and did a great job with the egg retrieval, but she did not deviate from standard Western medical procedures at all, and did not seem to take the nuanced approach that I've heard other friends describe their doctors taking. I am back to trying naturally for the time being, but will seek out a different doctor when my partner and I move on to fertility treatments again.
The finance department [at RMA] did not sufficiently explain costs, and moved ahead with treatment before receiving authorization for my treatment. Their communication and steps were so negligent that they ended up agreeing to cover some costs associated with my treatment and provide free sperm and embryo storage....Did treatments as a single mother by choice using donor sperm. Nurses frequently (at least 50%) of the time did not check my chart before coming in to see me and would give me instructions based on an assumption that I was in a heterosexual relationship (after the trigger, here's when you should have intercourse, etc.). This is pretty unacceptable considering that RMA prides itself on supporting same-sex couples and single mothers by choice.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
See multiple doctors before making your decision, and be sure to press her on questions you have related to your specific case. Ask how she plans to vary her treatment plans based on the particulars of your situation.
Describe the protocols Jaime Knopman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Letrozole with HCG trigger shot for all six IUIs, transfer at 24 hours with frozen sperm samples. No pregnancies or positive pregnancy tests resulted. During IVF cycle, used a standard cocktail with a high dose of Menopur, Gonal-F, Pregnyl trigger, and Progesterone shots following the egg retrieval. Retrieved 5 eggs, 4 became 5-day blastocysts. We transferred one, it did not work. Froze the remaining three and have not yet done a frozen cycle.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
They were fine. Always a wait.
She prefers single embryo transfer which was fine with me. She explained her reasoning well and has been published on the matter.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The finance department did not sufficiently explain costs, and moved ahead with treatment before receiving authorization for my treatment. Their communication and steps were so negligent that they ended up agreeing to cover some costs associated with my treatment and provide free sperm and embryo storage.
NY - Downtown

Dr Sekhon was extremely warm, and in tune with my expectations and concerns.She always answered all of my questions in person as well as through emails. ... Dr Sekhon was extremely professional and explained the IUI process thoroughly during our ZOOM video visit. After getting the baseline Ultrasound she was able to explain further on how to proceed with our treatments( Clomid, Ovidrel ) She was always very kind and patient as I had a million questions, and which were always answered by Dr Sekhon. My husband and I completely trusted my care with Dr Sekhon as she was very thorough and explained in detail of our chances being pregnant. She is kind, compassionate, knowledgable, professional, and patient, something that we value. I would recommend Dr Sekhon to my friends/family in a heart beat. Absolutely no complaints!
Loved the Madison office, SOHO office was OK. The staff at both offices [RMA of New York] were professional, kind and always helpful. I arrived usually at my appt time and was seen within 5-10 minutes. Both offices were extremely clean, and always had nice music playing ... It was a pleasure to work with Connie! She was extremely kind, and always responded to my emails. She would call me with my lab results, and always answered all of my questions
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Have a list of questions and be prepared to squeeze them during your visits
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Lucky Sekhon used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Only used Clomid, and Ovidrel for my treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Connie)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Loved the Madison office, SOHO office was OK. The staff at both offices were professional, kind and always helpful. I arrived usually at my appt time and was seen within 5-10 minutes. Both offices were extremely clean, and always had nice music playing
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York.
not sure! i believe my insurance covered it
Describe Lucky Sekhon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
none
NY - Downtown

Dr. Kimberley A. Thornton is caring and kind. She answered all my questions and gave us suggestions for our treatments. She thought we had a good chance during our consultation. We had 2 IUIs and 4 IVFs with her for 10 months. My embryos didn't last until day 5 and I never had a transferred with total 50 eggs retrieved as RMA doesn't do day 3 transfer....Dr. Kimberley A. Thornton is sweet and she answered my emails usually within a day.
RMA is huge but each department is very organized. Monitor hours can be a bit crowded sometimes but it's good overall. The billing department is also helpful and responsive. The weakness is sometimes it's less customized but they're flexible in terms of operation schedule if you need to be out at a certain time....RMA doesn't do day 3 transfer....Nurses are always responsive and helpful....The billing department is nice to work with.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Kimberley A. Thornton is caring and kind. She answered all my questions and gave us suggestions for our treatments. She thought we had a good chance during our consultation. We had 2 IUIs and 4 IVFs with her for 10 months. My embryos didn't last until day 5 and I never had a transferred with total 50 eggs retrieved as RMA doesn't do day 3 transfer. We tried differnt protocols for my IVFs but still no good news. I feel she is supportive and responsive. I wished we tranferred to another clinic sooner.
If you're going to RMA, I would find a more experienced doctor.
I had 4 cycles. 1st one we used antagonist protocol and Lupron flare protocol for rest of the cycles. I responded to better to Lupron flare and retrieved more eggs as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Nurses are always responsive and helpful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours are easy and efficient.
The billing department is nice to work with.
We also used ICsI for all cycles.

2018 - 2019, Consult
Dr. Stein addressed my questions and concerns, but I felt a bit that they were brushed away (perhaps to ease my concerns) in an unhelpful way when I would've preferred a more serious, detailed response. The exam itself was very quick and I felt unnecessary since I already had results from a previous doctor and he seemed too in a rush anyway....I would've appreciated a more thorough consultation. My case isn't a particularly complicated one, but I felt that I was brushed off rather than engaged for what my concerns were.
The clinic [RMA of NY] had good communication with me over e-mail so far. I appreciated that I could ask whatever questions I had and expect a timely answer. The e-mail point person switched several times within the last year, which could be confusing, but the clinic was consistent in following up with me.... I would've appreciated a more thorough consultation. My case isn't a particularly complicated one, but I felt that I was brushed off rather than engaged for what my concerns were.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I would've appreciated a more thorough consultation. My case isn't a particularly complicated one, but I felt that I was brushed off rather than engaged for what my concerns were. I also felt that my concerns were met with a don't-worry-about-it sort of response rather than answered more directly and thoroughly. I'm detailed oriented and felt that the response was a bit disconcerting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
To not be afraid to act direct questions and follow up if the answers aren't as thorough as you'd like them to be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Daniel Stein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I went in only for an initial consultation for possible egg freezing.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic had good communication with me over e-mail so far. I appreciated that I could ask whatever questions I had and expect a timely answer. The e-mail point person switched several times within the last year, which could be confusing, but the clinic was consistent in following up with me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Stein at RMA of New York.
I encountered only the initial consultation, which was covered by my insurance.
Daniel Stein
NY - Downtown
Dr. Thornton is excellent. Previous IUIs and a retrieval had failed with other doctors. She adjusted course and was thoughtful and informative about which protocol to use. For reference, I was almost 40 at time of retrieval. The process is challenging but we felt like we were in excellent hands...wonderful manner, explained everything to me, and answered questions. I am so grateful that she understands her patients have been through a lot. Definitely felt like a human and my partner did too.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is excellent. Previous IUIs and a retrieval had failed with other doctors. She adjusted course and was thoughtful and informative about which protocol to use. For reference, I was almost 40 at time of retrieval. The process is challenging but we felt like we were in excellent hands. Plus she and her team in Soho were really pleasant to work with.
Highly recommend.
Dr.Thornton has a wonderful manner, explained everything to me, and answered questions. I am so grateful that she understands her patients have been through a lot. Definitely felt like a human and my partner did too.
We tried one protocol but my body didn't cooperate so we tried another which resulting in a healthy embryo that we transferred and had success.
Generally very good.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I had a positive experience with RMA. Things ran more smoothly on the admin side to the other very large practice in NYC (WC). There were wait times but that is to be expected. It is a hard process and I wish more doctors in this field were trained to deal with people who have been through the trauma of infertility and/or pregnancy loss. Dr. Thornton was amazing and sensitive in this respect but that is definitely not the norm with REs, sadly.
was efficient.
we were lucky & partially covered by insurance yet still quite expensive.
I think RMA in general recommends eSET as they also recommend genetic testing. We only had one healthy embryo anyway.
NY - Downtown
You don't see him [Dr. Grifo] often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)... Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle
Strengths [of RMA NY]: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.... IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
How was your experience with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
You don't see him often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid of being proactive: and be specific with questions to take advantage of his knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Thoughtful discussion of my background, warm coupled with insight and knowledge. Conversational, but direct.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle and ovulation with trigger shot but did not result in pregnancy. Trying again next cycle did not produce a follicle, neither did just a higher dose of letrozole. Currently preparing for IVF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I know several of the nurses by name, they are super friendly and helpful, and responsive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at RMA of New York.
IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
James Grifo
NY - Downtown
I felt that Dr. Davis genuinely cared about us and wanted us to be successful just as much as we did... was incredibly informative from day 1 when we had our initial consultation. He thoroughly explained every detail of our options and helped us make informed decisions. He was very positive and always happy to see us. When we had our miscarriage Dr. Davis called and made the time to talk through the process and our options. We felt very comfortable with Dr. Davis and trusted that he had always our best interest.
[Monitoring appointments at RMA of New York were an] Efficient well oiled machine. No long wait times...Clean, efficient, and well equipped with what seemed like modern technology...Multiple locations within NYC which was helpful. No children allowed in waiting room which I appreciated...Nurses called back shortly after leaving a message at the front desk. Some were more compassionate than others. The coordinator assigned to us was great!
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Dr. Davis was incredibly informative from day 1 when we had our initial consultation. He thoroughly explained every detail of our options and helped us make informed decisions. He was very positive and always happy to see us. When we had our miscarriage Dr. Davis called and made the time to talk through the process and our options. We felt very comfortable with Dr. Davis and trusted that he had always our best interest.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Ask questions during your visits
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Clean, efficient, and well equipped with what seemed like modern technology. Waiting time in the mornings was not very long for monitoring. Multiple locations within NYC which was helpful. No children allowed in waiting room which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Efficient well oiled machine. No long wait times.
Describe Joseph Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Dr. Davis felt strongly about transferring one embryo at a time. He felt that we were still young and did not have any real reason to transfer multiples. He always reminded us that multiples come with risks and we were not in a position to need to take on that risk just yet.
25 Eggs Frozen
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sekhon has deep expertise on egg freezing, and I felt as though I trusted her every step of the way. Even though RMA does have many doctors, Dr. Sekhon reviewed my charts everyday and was always available (and quit to reply) via email. I also deeply appreciated her artistry when it came to how much medicine to give, how to maximize the egg development without causing risk, etc. I would strongly recommend Dr. Sekhon to all family and friends.
Dr. Sekhon is extremely personable, and deeply invested in each patient. Even though RMA is a busy practice, if you have questions, don't hesitate to reach out to her or her nurse.
Dr. Sekhon is extremely personable, and really takes the time to get to know each of her patients. She was extremely encouraging throughout the process, and she was deeply invested in both my experience during the process as well as my results.
We began with Menopur and Follistim injections, and then added in Ganirelix. My trigger shot was a mix of hCG and Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Needle )
At one point, I had an issue where I ran out of doses of ganirelix and didn't realize it until the evening. The nurses (and after hours doctor) were very helpful in keeping me calm and instructing me on best ways to course correct.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is the single most efficient doctors office experience I've ever had. They also have a large team, all of whom were incredibly knowledgable. Some may find the practice too large, but I personally found this to be a perk -- I was able to move monitoring appointments to the office most convenient for me, and I always got a quick reply to my questions. On top of that, RMA is affiliated with Mt. Sinai and has had a stellar reputation in reproductive health since the early 2000s. I found them to be much more trustworthy than other options that were newer.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I found this to be super easy -- I made an appointment for the time and office most convenient for me (I went to all 4 of their locations over the course of my treatment, as I was in different parts of the city on different days and in Westchester too). I never had to wait more than 5 min to be seen.
$13,000 including meds
NY - Downtown

We had a very straightforward experience with Dr. Thornton- - a successful FET. Overall, she was competent and pragmatic about the whole process, which we appreciated. She clearly explained and outlined all procedures in a digestible manner. Furthermore, she was accessible and available to answer our questions... While she was not the doctor that performed my retrieval, she took the time to thoroughly review my history and review everything with me so she was completely up to speed when she took over my case.
RMA downtown is a well-oiled and efficient operation. They have access to the midtown lab and facility, but it's a smaller operation, which I preferred. The strengths are that you have access to a range of services and expertise, the same thing can be a weakness because at midtown, you are one among many. At the downtown practice, I felt more like a person than a case number.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She's a good RE, but I don't know how well she would handle complicated cases. Partly, that hesitation is because we didn't have a complicated case, but nevertheless, if I had an out of the box diagnosis, I might have gone elsewhere.
We had a straightforward eSET when we were trying for our second.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
We had copays and premiums for monitoring and procedures.
Strongly preferred eSET for us.
NY - Downtown
[Dr. Joseph Davis has an] Excellent bedside manner; takes time to really listen to what you have to say and your concerns; really cares about his patients; and does not 'know best', let's you make your own treatment decisions and fully supports them. Doctor of osteopathic medicine and incorporated eastern medicine (Chinese herbs, other supplements (CoQ-10, baby ASA), and acupuncture)- all important to me and my partner.
Too big- it's a reproductive mill!!...Previously stated what I think are his [Dr. Joseph Davis] strengths. Weaknesses: working in a reproductive clinic [RMA of New York] this large makes personalization of attention and treatment hard. He did not perform all of the IUI, IVF procedures which would have been preferred. Overall we were more satisfied with him than another female doctor that we had.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Previously stated what I think are his strengths. Weaknesses: working in a reproductive clinic this large makes personalization of attention and treatment hard. He did not perform all of the IUI, IVF procedures which would have been preferred. Overall we were more satisfied with him than another female doctor that we had.
Do your research, ask questions, and do not take the first suggestion as the oracle.
Describe the protocols Joseph Davis used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Agonist protocol, standard treatment for woman of my age.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Too big- it's a reproductive mill!!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Variable, but usually able to get in with little wait time or difficulty.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Davis at RMA of New York.
IVF per cycle ~$7 vs. IUI per cycle ~$300
At my age, multiple embryo transfer should be the standard, to increase the chances of success. I know it also increases chances of multiples, but that can be sorted out later down the road in my opnion.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Nothing major, could happen anywhere. Definitely running very efficiently considering the size of the clinic/ volume of patients that they are seeing.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr Knopman is incredibly direct, but also caring and nurturing. She understood my background fully and made sure that we covered all our bases before moving to IVF. She explained everything thoroughly and made sure that I was fully aware of each stage, empowering me to be my own advocate for treatment as well as having her on my side...Dr Knopman is incredibly caring and easy to talk to. She is also very responsive so no matter how silly my question, she would answer it immediately with a bunch of information.
The nursing staff at RMA are amazing! They really care about the success of your cycle and always have a smile on their face. Lisa Nargi in particular is incredible!...Well oiled machine in the downtown office. I was usually in and out within 20-30 minutes. But Midtown is another story. Much longer wait times....RMA downtown is fresh and clean and fast! RMA midtown is a little different and the waiting times are quite long, especially on weekends. The facilities for egg retrieval and transfers are great.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr Knopman will answer them and will partner with you to find the best course of treatment.
Standard protocol IVF for both rounds of IVF, but adjusted medication for both cycles as my ovaries were slow to respond. Ended up having quite high doses of medication but helped increase the number of eggs and embryos that resulted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Nargi)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Always advocated for eSET over multiple which I fully agreed with.

2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Jaime Knopman] is extremely smart, a good thinker, and passionate about helping women have and maintain pregnancies. We went through 2 IUIs, IVF (miscarriage and then a successful FET) with Dr. Knopman and through it all, felt like we were in good hands... She talks fast, but there's a ton of information packed in there. She was no longer at RMA when I went back for my second child, but if I'd had any challenges, I would have followed her to CCRM. Absolutely and unequivocally.
The downtown practice [of RMA-NY Downtown] is much more personal than the midtown practice, which I found helpful. It was also much more convenient to where I live and faster to get in and out of. Overall, RMA is a well-oiled machine with a well-regarded lab.... Monitoring at the downtown office was easy and efficient. From check in to check out, it was usually less than 30 minutes (when you needed an ultrasound) and less than 15 (if it was only bloodwork).
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
She is extremely smart, a good thinker, and passionate about helping women have and maintain pregnancies. We went through 2 IUIs, IVF (miscarriage and then a successful FET) with Dr. Knopman and through it all, felt like we were in good hands.
Bottom line, she cared about me and my pregnancy. She was available by email and phone. I ran into her in an airport a few years later and she called my name across the concourse, remembering me, my miscarriage, and my pregnancy. It felt like we were a team.
We did 2 Clomid IUIs and then an antagonist IVF protocol.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The downtown practice is much more personal than the midtown practice, which I found helpful. It was also much more convenient to where I live and faster to get in and out of. Overall, RMA is a well-oiled machine with a well-regarded lab.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
We had insurance coverage, but had copays and premiums for: monitoring, medication, PGD testing, and procedures.
She strongly prefers eSET.
NY - Downtown

Dr. Sekhon was very empathetic and has an excellent bedside manner. Throughout the course of my treatment I felt that she listened to my concerns and made appropriate adjustments to treatment plans. I wish that I had more time with her and could see her during all my appointments but it seems the practice is extremely busy. ... She is empathetic and relatable.
There are a huge number of patients [at RMA of New York]. I believe that the doctors and nurses are likely taxed from the numbers of patients and that care suffers as a result. ... The finance department broke down the billing with line items which was helpful but I wish I had gotten it earlier in the process in order to plan ahead. ... Some of the explanations of procedures seem a bit rote, which I imagine comes from the volume of patients they see.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. She gives a lot of information, which is helpful, but can sometimes be overwhelming in the moment.
She is empathetic and relatable.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
There are a huge number of patients. I believe that the doctors and nurses are likely taxed from the numbers of patients and that care suffers as a result. Some of the explanations of procedures seem a bit rote, which I imagine comes from the volume of patients they see.
The IUIs were covered by my insurance but IVF was not. It was over $20,000 with medication. The finance department broke down the billing with line items which was helpful but I wish I had gotten it earlier in the process in order to plan ahead.
Dr. Sekhon preferred eSET
NY - Downtown

Dr. Davis was committed to our journey, compassionate, thorough and determined. He was very uplifting during the hard times and always had our best interest in mind. I would choose him for any future procedures. ... My doctor felt strongly that we should opt for a single transfer unless we had multiple failed transfers. Multiples come with risks which were unnecessary at the time.
The clinic [RMA of NY] is clean and efficient. They do not allow children which is considerate of the patients. The waiting room is very busy therefore it is best to arrive early during monitoring hours. The front desk staff was hit or miss in terms of friendliness. ... The window of time [for monitoring appointments] was generous however it did get very crowded so it was best to go early.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Be optimistic and confident in his abilities.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
We were assigned a specific team that worked with Dr. Davis. The nurses were responsive when I called or emailed with questions. They provided clear directions for administering medications and next steps. I do wish they had spent time showing us how to do the injections rather than watching videos.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is clean and efficient. They do not allow children which is considerate of the patients. The waiting room is very busy therefore it is best to arrive early during monitoring hours. The front desk staff was hit or miss in terms of friendliness.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The window of time was generous however it did get very crowded so it was best to go early.
NY - Downtown
Dr. Thornton is very caring. She remembers patients--which is a tall order considering how large RMA is! She took the time to speak with my partner after he could not attend the initial consultation. ... Dr. Thornton was very knowledgeable and thorough. She is personally kind and compassionate. She can explain these difficult concepts very easily, and without lots of jargon or sounding condescending. ...
RMA is like a factory. ... Too big and impersonal. Too many things fell through the cracks, particularly with medications and insurance. I would wait hours for a procedure, well after the appointment time. I felt like a number. ... For one IUI, someone failed to call in the Ovidrel trigger to the pharmacy, which meant that I had to pay out of pocket. In preparing for IVF, the prior authorization failed, which resulted in a delayed cycle because I wasn't notified for two weeks afterwards.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is great! Just avoid her staff if possible.
IUI with Letrozole, with an Ovidrel trigger. No pregnancy resulted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Clarissa King)
RMA is like a factory. Too many things fall through the cracks, at great peril.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
$500--included IUI cost, visit co-pays, and prescription co-pays.
NY - Downtown

He [Dr. Joseph Davis] responded promptly to all emails. He spoke frankly about alternative treatments. He explained all decisions and all procedures. He actively advocated for me just attending one in a family of clinics and having all of the necessary information handled by the same office... He was a very kind doctor who explained all of his methods and approaches very clearly, made sure to set me up with key people so that they would explain all expenses and other information, and he even drew a picture of my ovaries and uterus to explain what was going on. Plus generally a chipper and human way of talking...
I love the downtown RMA Office. It's clean, small, and folks are very efficient....[Nursing staff at RMA of New York - NY Downtown] Kind and efficient. ... [Dr. Davis] He was a very kind doctor who explained all of his methods and approaches very clearly, made sure to set me up with key people so that they would explain all expenses and other information, and he even drew a picture of my ovaries and uterus to explain what was going on. Plus generally a chipper and human way of talking.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Email him if you want answers to any questions. He's very prompt!
Dr. Davis smiled and made jokes when he saw me. He responded promptly to all emails. He spoke frankly about alternative treatments. He explained all decisions and all procedures. He actively advocated for me just attending one in a family of clinics and having all of the necessary information handled by the same office.
IUI with injectables and progesterone suppositories
Kind and efficient.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I had insurance, so just the $30 copay. Progesterone supplements, with insurance, costed about $300. All other meds were covered by insurance.
Not applicable
NY - Downtown

Dr Knopman is extremely knowledgeable on the latest discoveries, science and trends in fertility. I got pregnant on my first IVF and I could tell I was getting better care that was informed by science compared to my friends dealing wit IVF . Frankly, she is a woman and mother herself and I think that because she "gets it" she was able to translate that to my care. I felt like I was in the hands of the savviest, most knowledgeable doctor. And she was NEVER too clinical sounding - she broke it all down for me in ways I could understand. She actually recommended NOT doing some procedures that would have put a lot of money in my pocket. I can't say enough good things about Dr Knopman. Highly recommend.
RMA downtown is much better than uptown. Smaller, more intimate.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Feel free to ask questions -- she is more than happy to answer in a way you will understand and feel empowered!
Dr Knopman always made me feel like she deeply cared about my treatment- and she invested much more than I heard from my friends in this space. She even emailed on a sunday night to ask how I was feeling!
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA downtown is much better than uptown. Smaller, more intimate.
2015, 25 Eggs Frozen
It's [RMA of New York] very nice and in a good area. The clinic is clean and I never had to wait a long time. Also I was able to come before work, which is very nice...I was an egg donor when I was younger at RMA and I asked for information about this and she [Dr. Knopman] was dismissive...She was okay but not very compassionate. I wanted information eggs I had donated when I was younger and she blew me off and refused to answer my questions. If she legally couldn't she didn't say that. It was upsetting. I would not recommend her, but I figured egg freezing is straightforward so why not stay with her for that. She has since left the practice so I won't be using her again. that's all.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
I was an egg donor when I was younger at RMA and I asked for information about this and she was dismissive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It's very nice and in a good area. The clinic is clean and I never had to wait a long time. Also I was able to come before work, which is very nice.
10,000 plus meds
2015, Unknown Success
Dr. Talebian is very reassuring, despite my many setbacks, that eventually I will get pregnant. I was probably okay with going on to my 7th IUI, when she encouraged me to move onto IVF... I appreciate a doctor that is willing to give me a nudge.
I am having problems with the long waiting time for appointments... The only issue that I had with the nursing staff is they forgot about me when i was dropping off a sperm sample. I waited for 45 mins, freaking out about all the time that was passing...
How was your experience with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
Dr. Talebian is very reassuring, despite my many setbacks, that eventually I will get pregnant. I was probably okay with going on to my 7th IUI, when she encouraged me to move onto IVF. I believe that she is doing the right thing by helping me move on from treatments that are not working. I appreciate a doctor that is willing to give me a nudge.
Definitely take advantage of your time with her. Prep any questions before hand.
The moment I felt that she treated me like a human was when on my 4th IUI. Right after she completed the insemination she held up both hands, crossed both sets of fingers, and said "I'm rooting for you". It made her feel more like a friend and a cheerleader, rather than just a doctor.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The woman that takes my blood is very sweet. The only issue that I had with the nursing staff is they forgot about me when i was dropping off a sperm sample. I waited for 45 mins, freaking out about all the time that was passing, but no one spoke to me until I made a big deal with the front desk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I am having problems with the long waiting time for appointments.
2003 - 2010, Successful
Dr Sandler is very direct, has an incredible human kindness never found in other infertility specialists; some times I did not like what I hear but he kept focusing me in the right direction we even decided to take a six month break that gave us the chance to come back with a successful treatment. he even gave me his cell number to make sure I could call whenever I wanted...He is very direct, and may not hold your hand as others, being a foreign physician (he was born out of the country) may have a different cultural background but showed genuine concern and has been known for not taking money out of people who have no chance to get pregnant.
Very efficient, we arrived at 6:15 am [at RMA - Downtown] and they were incredibly empathetic of our situation...Being an out of town patient, they were in the middle of Manhattan which provided easy access, lots of traffic during working hours but easy to access...He [Dr. Sandler] was very kind explained every step clearly and interrupted one cycle when he saw my ovaries were not responding accordingly...
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
dr Sandler is very direct, has an incredible human kindness never found in other infertility specialists; some times I did not like what I hear but he kept focusing me in the right direction we even decided to take a six month break that gave us the chance to come back with a successful treatment. he even gave me his cell number to make sure I could call whenever I wanted
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He was very kind explained every step clearly and interrupted one cycle when he saw my ovaries were not responding accordingly
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
he used a Pergonal Protocol, and then HCG on the day of ovulation, followed by retrieval and transfer
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Very efficient, we arrived at 6:15 am and they were incredibly empathetic of our situation
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
dont remember but considered fair and successful
Benjamin Sandler