Natan Bar-Chama

311 North St
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Sandler] is obviously a brilliant dude, but there were times I felt like he spoke down to me, as if I couldn't possibly understand the intricacies of ART treatments, when in reality I was reading academic journal articles regularly to try to know as much as possible...Don't be afraid to ask questions because he will answer them...Just don't expect to ask questions or get much information during the monitoring ultrasounds because they have to see a million patients in a row before and after you...
You will feel like a number [at RMA - East Side] but it's okay -- that just means they know what they're doing. Even on days when you cannot believe how freaking packed the waiting room is, you will be in and out of there before you know it. A lot of people go there and I took that to mean that they were good. I didn't have success with them but that's because my body is wacky... they bill your insurance for a complete cycle, so if you don't make it to transfer, it is still billed as a complete cycle. I don't know if it is different for self-pay people...
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He is obviously a brilliant dude, but there were times I felt like he spoke down to me, as if I couldn't possibly understand the intricacies of ART treatments, when in reality I was reading academic journal articles regularly to try to know as much as possible.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask questions because he will answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
In a way, I thought it was somewhat reassuring to be treated like a number, as long as whoever I was dealing with knew my background, where I was in treatment, and so on. The fact that the clinic ran like a well-oiled machine was very comforting because they really did give you the impression they knew what they were doing. I'm also not a person who needs to feel coddled.
Describe the protocols Benjamin Sandler used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
1 Clomid cycle with IUI, 3 letrozole cycles with IUI, and 1 last letrozole cycle with TI (because I felt that we were headed for IVF anyway and didn't want to waste money on another IUI). Then, IVF/ICSI with PGS on antagonist protocol (preceded by 10-14 days of OCP), using max dosage of stims because -- as it turned out -- I have DOR! This was never verbalized to me until after the first cycle failed. Good thing I read all those journal articles because I had figured that out myself. The next cycle was supposed to be micro dose Lupron flare protocol preceded by OCP again.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Kirsten Schlosser)
Everyone on the support staff was amazing. Even the phlebotomists were sweet and super competent. In the end, I think that makes a bigger difference in the experience than how the doctor talks to you, for example.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
You will feel like a number but it's okay -- that just means they know what they're doing. Even on days when you cannot believe how freaking packed the waiting room is, you will be in and out of there before you know it. A lot of people go there and I took that to mean that they were good. I didn't have success with them but that's because my body is wacky.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I covered this earlier -- it is very busy during morning monitoring but they have so many phlebotomists that it takes no time to get blood draws done. Sometimes there is a minor wait to get twanded but I was never there more than an hour. Just don't expect to ask questions or get much information during the monitoring ultrasounds because they have to see a million patients in a row before and after you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York.
This is important -- they bill your insurance for a complete cycle, so if you don't make it to transfer, it is still billed as a complete cycle. I don't know if it is different for self-pay people. All told, we used up 8750 of our 10K insurance limit, plus another 4500 out of pocket for PGS, freezing (even though there was nothing to freeze), anesthesia, and extra meds beyond what our insurance was willing to cover ( I was on very high doses).

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Sandler was beyond unhelpful. We were rushed into ivf without being given the proper level of expectation or care. I was not told what to expect or what would be considered success....he was pushy and didn't listen. he made up his mind early and never made eye contact I never knew what to expect. when i finally got him to actually call me back he rushed me and treated me like i was an idiot. When i ovulated thru the stims he blamed me instead of the fact the monitoring doctor's should have caught the LH spike. A horrible experience.
The practice [RMA of New York on the eastside] is large and feels like a human farm. I never had the same doctor twice in daily rotation and for that reason they miss the fact that I had ovulated early - thus a cancelled cycle. I should have known on my first day of cycling when they had me down for a beta pregnancy test and not to start my ivf cycle. then the finance coordinator Hira NEVER met with us - declined to show up for a scheduled appointment and never could answer why all of our insurance money was used for a cycle that never got to a retrieval.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
change doctors. he's set in his ways and impersonal.
Dr. Sandler was beyond unhelpful. We were rushed into ivf without being given the proper level of expectation or care. I was not told what to expect or what would be considered success. The practice is large and feels like a human farm. I never had the same doctor twice in daily rotation and for that reason they miss the fact that I had ovulated early - thus a cancelled cycle. I should have known on my first day of cycling when they had me down for a beta pregnancy test and not to start my ivf cycle. then the finance coordinator Hira NEVER met with us - declined to show up for a scheduled appointment and never could answer why all of our insurance money was used for a cycle that never got to a retrieval.
he used a standard antagonist high dose with no priming. I have DOR and a low AFC but he never explained his rationale. I couldn't even find out which protocol I was on till a few days before the cycle - there was next to no communication. I only produced three follicles but again he never told me what to expect and i never saw the same doctor twice so being in the dark completely was a horrible feeling during this process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
they were ok but it's a farm there - so many patients and everyone is overworked.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
too busy ,too many patients. they are greedy and just interested in getting money and billing insurance.
my insurance covered a lifetime of 20k. they used all of it and i never got to egg retrieval. a waste.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
they had me in the system wrong - my first monitoring for IVF was down as a beta pregnancy test - what an insult. They didn't monitor me properly and ended up being a cancelled cycle. billing was a nightmare,

2015, Unknown Success
Dr Flisser was extremely helpful throughout this process. He spent a lot of time with us discussing each of the various procedures and the risks/increasing of odds with each added step. My husband and I appreciated that he was very much an odds guy, he helped us understand what would increase our chances, but without escalating too fast. He was helpful in assisting us on when to escalate (after 3 months of clomid/letrozol w/trigger shot, we added iui). I was frustrated in this process by not having a clear cut diagnosis and thus in my head a clear path to solving the problem in getting pregnant. For much of the process, I spent time focusing in trying to figure out what was wrong and not working. After all the initial tests came back clear and there was anything that was an obvious problem, dr flisser seemed to easily accept the "unexplained fertility" diagnosis and really focus on how to get us pregnant. For my husband, that was great, for me, who really wanted to understand why my body wasn't functioning, it was frustrating. By the end of the process (9 months later- 3 med cycles, 3
[RMA of New York] strengths: it's all inclusive and at one location (monitoring, transfer, retrievals are all at the same location). The clinic can help you with financing and recommending programs to get discounts. Also, by having so many drs, they're open every day but Christmas which is important with a process so time sensitive. Weaknesses: sometimes you do just feel like a number- there are so many women in and out and you see them all so you realize how many people are being treated by the practice. Because there are so many doctors, you sometimes see one once and never again.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
dr flisser was extremely helpful throughout this process. He spent a lot of time with us discussing each of the various procedures and the risks/increasing of odds with each added step. My husband and I appreciated that he was very much an odds guy, he helped us understand what would increase our chances, but without escalating too fast. He was helpful in assisting us on when to escalate (after 3 months of clomid/letrozol w/trigger shot, we added iui). I was frustrated in this process by not having a clear cut diagnosis and thus in my head a clear path to solving the problem in getting pregnant. For much of the process, I spent time focusing in trying to figure out what was wrong and not working. After all the initial tests came back clear and there was anything that was an obvious problem, dr flisser seemed to easily accept the "unexplained fertility" diagnosis and really focus on how to get us pregnant. For my husband, that was great, for me, who really wanted to understand why my body wasn't functioning, it was frustrating. By the end of the process (9 months later- 3 med cycles, 3 med + IUI cycles, 1 egg retrieval and 1 transfer cycle) and a pregnancy (currently 24weeks), I'm a little more at ease with not having a diagnosis At roughly 8 out of 10 monitoring apts we saw Dr flisser, with the exception of our egg retrieval cycle. Unfortunately, our first retrieval cycle happened to fall during the Jewish holidays, so we saw him on day one of the cycle, and then he was off on holiday- while not in office, he was monitoring our progress with the staff via email and did adjust a few of my meds as needed. At the beginning it didn't bother me that I wasn't seeing our dr, as the other drs we saw were reassuring, but as we got closer to the retrieval and I began to realize I wouldn't see him before or for the retrieval I started to freak out. It seemed a little unsettling to go through the entire egg retrieval process and only see our actual dr once. After speaking with the nurses about my fears, they got in touch with Flisser and he called me with reassurance that he'd been monitoring my case and that in his opinion everything looked great for a good retrieval. I asked if he could possibly do the retrieval the next day and he said he'd try. He did end up performing our retrieval, which definitely put me at ease. While Dr Flisser, is good at explaining the medical process and odds, he's not the most warm and fuzzy. He's direct when presenting information and results. You will not be chatting about your weekend plans or laughing at jokes during your apts. while he will take the time to reassure you if you have doubts, he will not be one offering hugs or show much emotion throughout the process. For me and my husband, we were ok with this and the nurses are incredibly helpful with empathy and emotional breakdowns. Overall we were happy to have Dr Flisser on our team during this incredibly stressful process full of no guarantees and lots of uncertainty.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
I would advise you to ask questions about the process. Fertility doctors go through these procedures 100s of times a day and often forget that we as patients don't know the process and have fears (not to mention that the meds we're on make us an emotional wreck) If you have questions or concerns, speak up and ask. Due to the nature of the practice, there is always a ton of people in office and the actual monitoring is very quick, so it sometimes feels rushed, but if you have questions and concerns and ask, Flisser will stop and take the time to answer them thoughtfully.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
dr flisser was very direct with the medical information and took the time to explain to us the process, and options, and what he thought was the issue, unfortunately didn't have a clear cut diagnosis, but the catch all "unexplained infertility". However, he's not the most warm and fuzzy- he's not going to tell jokes and give hugs, but if you're someone who needs to be completely in the loop of the medical knowledge and the process, he'll make sure that happens. Also, the nature of the RMA practice, it's a little like a casting call, does add to the feeling of being a "number"
Describe the protocols Eric Flisser used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
As I'm under 30 and was having irregular cycles, with no other medical tests pointing to any other fertility issues, we started with clomid. After the clomid didn't seem to regulate my cycles, we switched to letrozole. After 3 cycles of letrozole at various dosages with no success, Flisser discussed with us other options and helped us settle on adding IUI. He didn't feel at that point we needed to jump into the invasive process of IVF as due to our age, time was not of an essence. After 3 failed IUI cycles and a diagnosis of "unexplained infertility," we again discussed our options. While, Flisser said there is no medical reason that the IUI wouldn't probably eventually work and that due to our age, we didn't need to rush, he advised that if we moved to IVF we might have success sooner. In our age group, he's had great success with very few retrieval and transfer cycles (that often there's some unexplained reason why the fertilized egg doesn't mesh correctly, but once embryos are made , the success rate is strong). Using this information, we decided to move onto IVF, with PGD (this would confirm that all implanted embryos would be potentially viable). We used the antagonist protocol. We had 25 eggs retrieved, 17 were fertilized, 5 made to freezing at day 5, and 4 passed the PGD testing. With those results, we decided to move forward with the transfer. In good news, I'm currently 24weeks pregnant off of our first transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Marlene)
We were assigned Marlene as our IVF coordinator. Her job was to help us have a rough schedule, get prescriptions/refills to the pharmacy of our choice, and answer scheduling questions about each part in the procedure. She was easily reachable by email and was prompt with replying to emails with questions about meds, protocol, and scheduling. Most of the nursing staff was incredibly pleasant and understanding and as always there are some standouts. Alyssa, was incredibly helpful to me- she's part of the team that you can meet with after monitoring apts for those questions you think of after the dr leaves the room and relaying the instructions after the dr has reviewed the lab work. She was always compassionate when I felt overwhelmed by the process and was always through when answering questions. She was also incredibly prompt when responding to emails. Another standout nurse was Chanel. She learned my name quickly and always greeted me with a smile and hello and a quick chat. It was also reassuring to see her familiar face not only in the monitoring apts, but also on the surgical floor with the egg retrieval and transfer. She just genuinely cared about her patients and making them feel human in a process that is overwhelming and can often make you feel like a number.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Clinic strengths: it's all inclusive and at one location (monitoring, transfer, retrievals are all at the same location). The clinic can help you with financing and recommending programs to get discounts. Also, by having so many drs, they're open every day but Christmas which is important with a process so time sensitive. Weaknesses: sometimes you do just feel like a number- there are so many women in and out and you see them all so you realize how many people are being treated by the practice. Because there are so many doctors, you sometimes see one once and never again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The monitoring hours were first come first serve from 7-8:30am. Depending on the day of the week and the time you arrived, it could be a quick wait or it could be a never ending line. On average I would say wed be seen within 20min of arrival and check in. Although there were often people waiting, the clinic was efficient with their process of moving people through lab work and ultrasounds as quickly as possible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Flisser at RMA of New York.
Ultrasound monitoring- $275 Ultrasound and blood- $305 Bloodwork- $40 All apt inclusive (not including meds) retrieval cycle- $7500 + $750 for anesthesia Frozen transfer cycle (not including meds)-$7500 pGD testing- $3000

2012 - 2014, Successful
I felt like he [Dr. Copperman] understood my case, and tried to tweak protocols to better my chances...In the end, we ended up using donor eggs because our chances with my eggs was too low. But it was a decision my husband and I made with Dr Copperman, and neither one of us felt that it was a rushed decision or something that was done because he was afraid of negative results lowering the clinics score. We felt like he was willing to work with us, provide us with information, and make sure we understood the reasons behind his choices.
[RMA] Strengths - offices in both Manhattan and Long Island. Most staff was friendly, and helpful. Weakness - the Manhattan clinic is busy, and you can wait a while for monitoring. You don't see you doctor unless he happens to be in the office on a day you are scheduled to come in. Retrievals and transfers are also done by whichever doctor is on call...For the donor egg cycle, I worked with Dara. She was also very responsive, answered my 8000 questions, and was patient when I was nervous or needed a little hand holding.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
I saw Dr Copperman after working with another clinic that couldn't give me a reason for why my cycle didn't work. I wasn't really planning on doing another IVF cycle, but I agreed to go for a consultation with him. At that first meeting, he was able to tell me why he thought the first cycle didn't work, and what he would do differently. He seemed sure that he could get me pregnant. We ended up doing several cycles with him. Each time something didn't work, he tweaked. I thought he would want us to go to donor egg after the first failed cycle, but he didn't. The fact that I had low ovarian reserves didn't scare him, and he was willing to keep trying new protocols. In the end, we ended up using donor eggs because our chances with my eggs was too low. But it was a decision my husband and I made with Dr Copperman, and neither one of us felt that it was a rushed decision or something that was done because he was afraid of negative results lowering the clinics score. We felt like he was willing to work with us, provide us with information, and make sure we understood the reasons behind his choices.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Be willing to ask questions, and try new protocols if the first one doesn't work
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
While the clinic is very large, I felt like he understood my case, and tried to tweak protocols to better my chances. When you are sitting in the waiting room though, it can feel a little bit like you are a number.
Describe the protocols Alan Copperman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
First cycle - Lupron Flare. Birth Control Pills to shut off my natural cycle, then low dose of lupron. Follistrum and menopure were used to stimulate ovaries. Trigger shot of orvidrel. This cycle was cancelled prior to retrieval, because I only had one follicle. It was suspected that the birth control pills suppressed me too much. 2nd cycle - antagonist with Clomid added. This was my best cycle - 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized. We transferred 2 good quality 3 day embryos. I got pregnant with a singleton, but ended up loosing the baby at 25 weeks gestation due to early onset preeclampsia and growth restriction. 3rd cycle - antagonist with clomid. 2 eggs retrieved, 1mature. Nothing fertilized. 4th cycle - antagonist with estrogen patches to try and prime my overies. 4 eggs retrieved, 2 fertilized, 2 transferred. I had a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Theresa/Dara)
For my own cycles my coordinator was Theresa. She was open to questions (I emailed her all the time) and she responded in a timely manner. For the donor egg cycle, I worked with Dara. She was also very responsive, answered my 8000 questions, and was patient when I was nervous or needed a little hand holding.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths - offices in both Manhattan and Long Island. Most staff was friendly, and helpful. Weakness - the Manhattan clinic is busy, and you can wait a while for monitoring. You don't see you doctor unless he happens to be in the office on a day you are scheduled to come in. Retrievals and transfers are also done by whichever doctor is on call. Dr Copperman didn't do any of my procedures.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7:00 - 8:30. You could show up anytime during those hours. The earlier you got there, the shorter the wait. On occasion I went to the Long Island offices. There monitoring hours were 8 am - 10 am and there was rarely a wait.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Alan Copperman at RMA of New York.
$11,000 for cycle $2500 for ICSY I believe there was a few for the anesthesiologist as well but I don't remember how much. Donor cycle $21,000 for shared, $28,000 for non-shared.
Describe Alan Copperman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
He did not push for single embryo transfers based on my DOR, embryo quality, and the fact that we wanted to transfer more than one.

2012 - 2014, Successful
Alan [Copperman] was very knowledgeable and always seemed completely committed to getting me pregnant. he does not show much compassion though and he didn't tell me about pre genetic testing, which I found out from a friend, and found it to be extremely valuable in my final successful IVF...We first tried two IUIs every cycle - no success. The 2nd IVF, the Dr. advised only putting in one good embryo, although I had asked for the previous embryo to be included. It was a frozen embryo with a different donor and therefore, he said the practice wouldn't put two embryos together from different donors. This is understandable but he didn't tell me until the day of transfer, but he did come personally to explain it to me.
RMA actually told me that my remaining embryo undergoing pre genetic testing was not good and 2 weeks later I realized the nurse was mistaken and it was good. That embryo turned out to be my son, but I had a rough 2 weeks in which I thought i had another unsuccessful treatment...Alan was very knowledgeable and always seemed completely committed to getting me pregnant. he does not show much compassion though and he didn't tell me about pre genetic testing, which I found out from a friend, and found it to be extremely valuable in my final successful IVF.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Ask a lot of questions about your options. The nurses are your friends, and the doctors do not generally have a lot of compassion.
He was generally kind but showed little to no emotion. In my 2nd and final iVF I had a miscarriage scare while traveling for work in HK and a HK doctor had wrongly told me I had a miscarriage. Fortunately, a second doctor told me everything was fine, but when I got back to NYC, Dr. Cooperman was somehow mad at me for the whole thing, which was a little heartless and ridiculous.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Very compassionate but not all could draw blood well and sometimes it took several times.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Very knowledgeable and helpful but too big to receive personal attention.
It was fine
not much because of my health insurance plan.
None, he did a good job.

2014, Successful
I'm an info-seeker so I continued to pore over my lab results and find new research about specific numbers and factors. I emailed the doctor [Dr. Tanmoy Mukherjee] a couple times with articles that concerned me, and it was clear he had accounted for that data and could explain what applied and did not apply in my case. He was reassuring but trustworthy, in my opinion, and didn't seem overly confident. Just enough that I could get through and feel like "of course SOMETHING will work, just a matter of finding what will".
It's a busy practice [RMA of New York] and they have limited time to spend with each patient. At the same time, everyone was friendly and courteous and all my questions were answered. Dr Mukherjee replied to my emails quickly and with a meaningful response. The treatment prescribed was not working and I was becoming increasingly frustrated. He was surprised it wasn't working (so, honest) but still thinking of the next step and never gave me a sense of doom. As it turns out the one cycle I did with him worked, so that may give me rose-colored glasses. But overall it was a positive and warm experience which felt more human than "factory line".
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
I came into my first appointment with some fears about what it would take to get my baby (babies as it turned out!). Dr Mukherjee was very cheerful and seemed right at the edge of all the research I had done myself. He recommended we start with the medication I had read about for my specific problem. I'm an info-seeker so I continued to pore over my lab results and find new research about specific numbers and factors. I emailed the doctor a couple times with articles that concerned me, and it was clear he had accounted for that data and could explain what applied and did not apply in my case. He was reassuring but trustworthy, in my opinion, and didn't seem overly confident. Just enough that I could get through and feel like "of course SOMETHING will work, just a matter of finding what will".
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
Do a lot of research beforehand and if you have a question in the moment ask it, don't wait for it to be answered, especially if you think what he said was ambiguous or contradictory or anything like that. If you think of a question after you leave the office, call the office or email Dr Mukherjee right away, don't wonder or wait until your next appointment. He responds well to challenges. And besides, you're likely paying good money for this, so get your money's worth.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
It's a busy practice and they have limited time to spend with each patient. At the same time, everyone was friendly and courteous and all my questions were answered. Dr Mukherjee replied to my emails quickly and with a meaningful response. The treatment prescribed was not working and I was becoming increasingly frustrated. He was surprised it wasn't working (so, honest) but still thinking of the next step and never gave me a sense of doom. As it turns out the one cycle I did with him worked, so that may give me rose-colored glasses. But overall it was a positive and warm experience which felt more human than "factory line".
Describe the protocols Tanmoy Mukherjee used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Because I have irregular cycles and anovulation, we needed to control the flow of hormones in my follicular phase so that one or more matured appropriately. Because I have PCOS, we also needed to be careful not to stimulate the growth of too many follicles at once. Clomid is often prescribed as a first line of treatment to encourage the growth of at least one follicle. In my case, since I have so many follicles on each ovary from having PCOS, I had researched and Dr Mukherjee recommended Femara (Letrozole) which is better at producing a single mature follicle. On Day 4 of my cycle (because it happened to fall on the day of my appointment and he gave me the prescription right then and there, though CD 3 is more common) I started taking Femara pills and took them for 5 days. The next step was to return to the office to monitor the growth of my follicles. They were hardly growing, which was unexpected. He instructed me to restart the Femara for another 5 days. Another monitoring appointment, a little growth, but not enough. He said another 5 days of Femara, and alluded to trying injectables next time if this cycle didn't work (meaning either that the cycle was cancelled and no IUI was performed, or an IUI was performed and no pregnancy/live birth resulted). The 3rd round of Femara--still in one cycle--nudged two follicles just enough that he decided we could go ahead and do a trigger shot of Ovidrel to ensure I would ovulate when expected and do the IUI about 36 hours later. I gave myself the Ovidrel shot at home on a Sunday night. Tuesday morning (2 days after Ovidrel shot) I had my IUI and two Saturdays later I got a positive home pregnancy test. I did blood work at the practice with the nurses and my beta HCG and progesterone levels were very good. I repeated the blood work several times before I could have my ultrasound. Around 5-6 weeks pregnant I had my ultrasound with a different doctor and he found two gestational sacs and yolk sacs. A week or two later I had another ultrasound and they found heartbeats, fetal poles, etc. and I was released to my OB/Gyn. Dr Mukherjee recommended a specific Maternal Fetal Medicine practice that he regarded highly for multiples (i.e. twins +).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York.
The main cost was monitoring visits which were about $250 I think, and the IUI itself. Once I was pregnant, the bloodwork was covered by insurance. I did get reimbursed for quite a lot of the out of pocket I paid for those early ultrasounds since it was prenatal care.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
My donor's sperm analysis results were lost at a certain point so they had to be re-sent to RMA. I recall there was a delay in my MFM receiving my records from RMA. I had copies with me so I was able to provide them the info in the mean time.
2009 - 2014, Successful
[RMA of New York] Can feel a bit like a factory at monitoring time but that's the nature of the job. I understood they had about 100 women to monitor in a two hour window, they had to move fast...Dr Grunfeld always gave me his time and explained everything with patience and care. He responded to emails and calls right away (either personally or via his nurse) He also made me feel like he was disappointed when I was disappointed and he was optimistic when I couldn't be. I felt like he was a cheerleader all along...My diagnosis was unexplained secondary infertility so we knew we had a good chance of a positive outcome out was just a matter of the right egg and the right sperm at the right time. I got pregnant on a medicated cycle with timed intercourse (had my second baby). When we decided we wanted a third child and the same treatment didn't work Dr. Grunfeld encouraged me to consider IVF and reviewed my chances of success etc. When we finally decided to go ahead with it he discussed our desire to transfer two embryos (he advised not to but told us it was our decision and I'm glad we listened!!). We had our third healthy baby, on our second transfer.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
I felt I was in the hands of a true expert who is one of the top in his field. I knew about Dr. Grunfeld's excellence and knowledge, yet his humble and down to earth personality made me feel that he was approachable and truly cared about the outcome of our treatments (Not just my payments).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Ask questions and don't be shy!!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Lawrence Grunfeld used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
They were very professional, organised, patient and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Well oiled machine. Super efficient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York.
Insurance covered my medicated cycles and meds. They also covered my ivf meds. I paid for my ivf via a loan from a charitable organization that works with couples trying to conceive. They work with RMA very frequently.
Describe Lawrence Grunfeld's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
He knew what he was talking about!!
2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Tanmoy Mukherjee] seemed very busy and while I feel he gave me the numbers and information, I also felt he was very booked and ready to see the next patient. I wish he would have explained to me sooner before all the pills and iuis and 4 ivfs that my numbers were very dismal. I am not sure why he even tried the iuis or tried it more than once. I feel RMA in general is just a factory.
The more I think about this clinic [RMA of New York], the angry I get. I feel it was a factory. They didn't care about me as a patient at all. The nurses were unhelpful. They had "case workers" that seemed untrained and uneducated. I got billed multiple times for the same thing (but luckily the woman in finance was my only ally). When it was clear I needed to do DE, I asked for appointments and no one would call me back. We used up all of my insurance money and then $20,000 or more
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
I felt like he had a lot of patients. That I had 5 minutes to squeeze in his information and any of my questions (and felt more than 3 questions was a little too much or to be discussed with nurse). I felt more like he was following a set way of doing things. Like patient A comes in on first visit. Tell them to do x, y, z and then if that doesn't work do this next thing. I didn't feel it was tailored to me or my situation.
To spend more in depth time. Be open friendly and even if busy, give them a sense that you are with them in the moment and they aren't just a number.
He seemed very busy and while I feel he gave me the numbers and information, I also felt he was very booked and ready to see the next patient. I wish he would have explained to me sooner before all the pills and iuis and 4 ivfs that my numbers were very dismal. I am not sure why he even tried the iuis or tried it more than once. I feel RMA in general is just a factory.
I don't remember. I felt like the clinic had set protocols and he just tried them on me.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
There were many, many nurses. I don't believe I ever had one more than 2 or 3 times. Several were down right rude and horrible. One even said, "I don't know why you are bothering to do this." As though I had come up with the protocol or what should be done. I did have one nurse who was so nice and friendly. She didn't seem to be there for long though.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The more I think about this clinic, the angry I get. I feel it was a factory. They didn't care about me as a patient at all. The nurses were unhelpful. They had "case workers" that seemed untrained and uneducated. I got billed multiple times for the same thing (but luckily the woman in finance was my only ally). When it was clear I needed to do DE, I asked for appointments and no one would call me back. We used up all of my insurance money and then $20,000 or more of my own and I feel once they saw the cash run out, they just stopped responding. Once I researched DE and interviewed 3 other clinics (ORM, Shady Grove and CCRM), I realized what a horrible clinic RMA NY was. It was night and day.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
I disliked this, but I do understand how this can be more efficient for the clinic. Sometimes I would wait 60-90minutes and a few times more. It added to the feeling of a cattle call and seeing different people each time. I felt like a cog in the wheel than a woman who was trying to have a baby.
I believe it was $25,000 of my insurance coverage and about $20,000-$25,000 of our own money.
2014, Successful
Sometimes I feel like male doctors don't really "get it" - they have never been on 1,000 hormones before. But, I felt like Dr. Flisser did get it. He is a husband and a dad and I think that made him very releatable. We LOVE Dr. Flisser. He can be very straight forward and factual at times, so if you want someone who is a little more emotional, he is not your guy.
Monitoring [at RMA New York] is sort of a shit show - on any given day there could be at least 20 people waiting! I don't think this was specific to RMA, I think its an NYC problem, as I had a similar experience at Columbia...Overall, monitoring is so depressing. Unless they handed out coffee and donuts I honestly don't think it could be any better than it was at RMA.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Our experience with Eric Flisser was extremely positive. From the first time we met with him, we felt very comfortable with him. We completely trusted his recommendations and guidance through this very confusing process. When I got my first negative pregnancy test - he called me that afternoon to see how I was doing. He didn't even call to explain, he just called to "check in". When I started crying on the phone, he didn't rush me off. I will never forget how grateful I felt for that call. It showed me that he was just as disappointed as I was. He is really a great doctor and we would recommend him to anyone!
Know that he is not super lovey dovey. He can be very straight forward and factual at times, so if you want someone who is a little more emotional, he is not your guy.
When I was under Dr. Flisser's care, I almost always saw him. He made an effort to coordinate all my appointments around his schedule (as best we could given my cycle), he called me after my first failed transfer and met with both me and my husband on several occasions. He never once rushed us out of his office or failed to thoughtfully answer any of my questions. When I was sobbing crying, unable to go into the transfer room, he did not rush me. He gave me time and space to pull myself together. Sometimes I feel like male doctors dont really "get it" - they have never been on 1,000 hormones before. But, I felt like Dr. Flisser did get it. He is a husband and a dad and I think that made him very relatable. We LOVE Dr. Flisser.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Marlene Pena)
I liked everyone we saw at RMA! Everyone was very pleasant in the mornings and made the monitoring process pretty seamless. The nurses who worked on the retrieval / transfer floor were amazing! They were very sweet and patient. I felt very well cared for when we were there.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring is sort of a shit show - on any given day there could be at least 20 people waiting! I dont think this was specific to RMA, I think its an NYC problem, as I had a similar experience at Columbia. But, the waiting room at RMA is nice and it goes pretty quickly. They let you get there really early so you can be there before they even start calling patients to get ahead of the crowd. Overall, monitoring is so depressing. Unless they handed out coffee and donuts I honestly dont think it could be any better than it was at RMA.

2013, Successful
Dr. Grunfeld is very knowledgeable and knows what he is doing. He personalay follows his patients through their treatments and he makes the decisions about medications and timing. Not all doctors do that, even at RMA. We got pregnant very quickly while working with Dr. Grunfeld. Some people say he is not warm and fuzzy and I am sure there are doctors who rate higher on that metric, but he is not cold, and gets results
The staff [at RMA of New York] was fantastic. Theyare responsive, helpful, and suportive. They call you back quickly. I once called with basic ally a very emotional question and when I apologized for calling with such, the nurse said this was part of her job and really calmed me down. They also helped with prescriptions and referrals very quickly. Dr. Grunfeld had mentioned seeing an endocrinologist for a thyroid issue. That doctor did not take my insurance. When I asked the coordinator, she told me not to spend out of pocket money for that and helped me find another in network doctor with whom I was very happy.
How was your experience with Lawrence Grunfeld at RMA of New York?
Dr. Grunfeld is excellent at giving information and explaining your situation. We saw him for a second opinion and just looking through my chart from another clinic, he gave me lots of information the original doctor had not, even though it was the other doctor's chart. He also gave me more information following a physical exam. He explains things well and answers questions well. When we got bad news during one cycle, he was immediately available and followed up quickly and thorouthly. I also felt his information was realistic.
Don't recall
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Kimberly (coordinator) Carrie (nurse).)
The staff was fantastic. Theyare responsive, helpful, and suportive. They call you back quickly. I once called with basic ally a very emotional question and when I apologized for calling with such, the nurse said this was part of her job and really calmed me down. They also helped with prescriptions and referrals very quickly. Dr. Grunfeld had mentioned seeing an endocrinologist for a thyroid issue. That doctor did not take my insurance. When I asked the coordinator, she told me not to spend out of pocket money for that and helped me find another in network doctor with whom I was very happy.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
RMA is very well run and very warm. The doctors have coordinators and nurses who work their patients. I went for screening at the East side location and in Brooklyn. Sometimes screening in Brooklyn could take a long time because there was only one doctor. You could always meet with a nurse during screening too.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Screening was in the morning. I generally tried to get there early and did not wait long. The doctors at the East side location did not spend a lot of time with you but you could see a nurse. In Brooklyn, the doctor would spend more time and would generally give you a lot of information about your exam and answer questions but you could also wait longer.
We were covered by insurance

2013, 18 Eggs Frozen
The nurses have the answers but they are very busy. I recall it was annoying because I didn't have their direct line and always had to call the desk and wait for a call back which didn't always come at a convenient time... CATTLE CALL OVER AN HOUR WAIT EVERY MORNING [for monitoring appointments].
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Knopman was completely lovely and extremely knowledgeable. I never felt she talked down to me, and she kept me absolutely as informed as I wanted to be throughout the entire process. She did an excellent job as evidenced by results and also my personal experiences with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Listen to what she says - she knows what she is talking about and won't beat around the bush. If you have to see other doctors make sure you have her cell phone number in case something goes wrong when you are not with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
I could not have loved Jaime Knapman more. She gave it to me straight in a way that let me know she respected my intelligence, but she did it with warmth and grace. She told me all the upsides and downsides, always answered my questions honestly and eagerly, and to top it all off has a good sense of humor. When I had an issue after my retrieval (which was not done by her due to timing out of our control) she was there with me on cell over the weekend going above and beyond.
Describe the protocols Jaime Knopman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I don't remember exactly, but I looked back in my emails and these were the drugs I purchased: Ganirelix 250 mcg x 4 Follistim Cartridge 900 IU x 3 Menopur 75 IU Vials x 25 I did them in varying levels and I had a lot of Menopur left over (5 or 6 vials). My trigger shot was switched at the end from Ovidrel to the other one because I was growing a LOT of eggs and they were afraid I would over-stim (which I did). I had a very successful result but it was extremely painful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Erica Weinberg)
I was really on top of calling them and emailing them to make sure I knew everything I had to do. I think I would advise that all patients do this. The nurses have the answers but they are very busy. I recall it was annoying because I didn't have their direct line and always had to call the desk and wait for a call back which didn't always come at a convenient time.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
CATTLE CALL OVER AN HOUR WAIT EVERY MORNING. NO WIFI!!! NEEDS TO BE FIXED.
Jaime Knopman
2010 - 2013, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Copperman] is a talented doctor but definitely lacks bedside manner. You go to him for his expertise and success rates, not because he is going to make you feel warm and fuzzy. I liked seeing other doctors in the practice who were a little warmer, but knowing that he was reviewing all the blood work and sonograms was good.
It [RMA of New York] feels like a factory. the morning check-in for blood and ultrasound are very crowded. you have to wait, sometimes up to 45 minutes to get in for blood and then wait again for a doctor to come see you. then if you have additional questions you have to wait for a nurse. when you are cycling through for IVF and have to be there almost daily for 10 days its hard not to feel frustrated and just a number.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
he is a talented doctor but definitely lacks bedside manner. You go to him for his expertise and success rates, not because he is going to make you feel warm and fuzzy. I liked seeing other doctors in the practice who were a little warmer, but knowing that he was reviewing all the blood work and sonograms was good. i did have some losses, one in particular that was devastating, and he was very helpful. at the end of the day i owe my two amazing sons to him.
he is a clinician first with a high volume practice. you will get pregnant there but he won't be your best friend.
it feels like a factory. the morning check-in for blood and ultrasound are very crowded. you have to wait, sometimes up to 45 minutes to get in for blood and then wait again for a doctor to come see you. then if you have additional questions you have to wait for a nurse. when you are cycling through for IVF and have to be there almost daily for 10 days its hard not to feel frustrated and just a number.
i dont remember sorry. i think I blocked it all out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: anne)
anne and hilde were absolutely amazing. they were my first cycles for my oldest. Second time around his staff was not nearly as good. HIlde was in midwifery school so wasn't as available and anne was out on maternity leave. one nurse gave me a dosage error during an iVF cycle and nearly destroyed the cycle.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
factory. front desk staff probably dealt with way too many hormonal women to count and now is in robot mode.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
ugh. you had to wait. you didnt know if it would be 10 minutes or 40 minutes. during a 10 day cycle its awful when you are racing to get to work. The waiting room is absolutely packed. And they make you go back into the waiting room between blood and doctor sonogram (in 2010/2011 you went right in). general impression of the difference between 2010/2011 and 2013/2014 was that they got too big too fast
we had 5 cycles. insurance paid for 2 and change but even after that the doctor's visits were covered by coinsurance. it was just the transfer, retrieval, ICSI, etc that wasn't covered. Probably 20K out of pocket for all of it
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
one of the nurses gave incorrect hormone information during an IVF cycle. it was caught when I asked a question to a different nurse as I contrasted what she said to my prior day's instructions. Doctor called me immediately and had me come in the next day. At the end of the day we were still able to do the retrieval.
NY - Eastside

Dr. Mukherjee never gave up on me - even during the times I wanted to give up. I always felt like he had a genuine, vested interest in a positive outcome for me and my family. At RMA, you will not always see your doctor for monitoring. Dr. Mukherjee was always available for a call or follow up appointment if I had additional questions or concerns.... This doctor is warm, compassionate, and genuinely interested in a successful outcome for his patients. I felt like we were truly on this journey together.
RMA is very busy. It can be a little overwhelming when you go in for monitoring. If you have questions make sure you call, or email your nurse. Dr. Mukherjee will get back to you. He's never impatient and has the most wonderful bedside manner. I feel so fortunate to have had him as my doctor throughout this journey....It can be very crowded during monitoring hours, which can get overwhelming. Stay patient, and focus on the bigger picture. The doctors are all very knowledgeable, but it just feels like morning monitoring isn't the best time for questions - especially if it's not your regular doctor.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
It can be very crowded during monitoring hours, which can get overwhelming. Stay patient, and focus on the bigger picture. The doctors are all very knowledgeable, but it just feels like morning monitoring isn't the best time for questions - especially if it's not your regular doctor. Be sure to ask to speak to a nurse if you feel like your questions weren't addressed during monitoring.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
monitoring hours are 7 am to 8:30 am - extremely convenient. Waiting room can get crowded but there's coffee, tea and water.
Approx 10-14k per IVF cycle and $25k - $30k for a shared donor cycle.
NY - Eastside

He [Dr. Sandler] is a great doctor, really smart and knows what he is talking about. I know is difficult for me to get pregnant and that sometimes is difficult to talk about it but he manages to explain everything in a way he makes me feel confident but also down to earth. Is difficult to explain. ... He is really concerned about every aspect in my health not only physical or gynaecology, also how I feel, about my mental health. So this make me feel like a person
They [RMA of New York] really have a professional and well organised staff. Sometimes there are a lot of patients waiting for daily controls but the way the clinic is organised makes everything fast and nice. The rooms and ORs are ok. ... There are monitoring hours Monday-Sunday. You came at your convenience. First come first serve. You came to the reception area, write down your name and wait to be called first to take your blood test and then for the screening. Sometimes it could be really crowded but the staff make it that you wouldn’t spend a lot of time waiting
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He is a great doctor, really smart and knows what he is talking about. I know is difficult for me to get pregnant and that sometimes is difficult to talk about it but he manages to explain everything in a way he makes me feel confident but also down to earth. Is difficult to explain.
Trust him and ask him as many questions you have.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Very polite, professional; specially the staff assigned in the OR was always nice and concerned in my wellbeing
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
They really have a professional and well organised staff. Sometimes there are a lot of patients waiting for daily controls but the way the clinic is organised makes everything fast and nice. The rooms and ORs are ok.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Retrieving and 1 transfer around 15,000 Egg freezing around 1,000 year Transfer from egg freeze around 3,000 Something like that
Describe Benjamin Sandler's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Because of the fibroids I have I am not a candidate for multiple embryo transfer. This is something we knew since day one.
NY - Eastside
2 IUIs, 1 egg retrieval, 2 FET transfers (first ended in miscarriage). We changed from IUI to IVF, after we requested because we wanted to get to IVF more quickly. Dr Flisser was fully supportive...We did PGD so were recommended to do a ESET because likelihood of conceiving was higher. This was correct as we fell pregnant for both transfers...Fantastic bedside manner; always available to speak via phone or email. He was very sensitive during hard times and willing to connect us with any other health professionals we needed when we were testing for a genetic condition. We felt completely safe and reassured in his hands.
Clinic [RMA of New York] is very busy, but very supportive and helpful. Staff were always available to answer or pass on any questions/messages. Clinic was very organized. Morning monitoring hours made it easy to continue going to work each day...Everyone was great and understanding. All staff showed sensitively and were very helpful at passing along any questions we had...[monitoring is] Easy and well run...We did PGD so were recommended to do a ESET because likelihood of conceiving was higher. This was correct as we fell pregnant for both transfers.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Fantastic. Excellent bedside manner and knowledge as a doctor. We felt fully confident in getting the results we wanted with him from the beginning and reassured all the time being in his care. Now we have a little baby girl!
Trust him and reach out whenever you need.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Ariel)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Clinic is very busy, but very supportive and helpful. Staff were always available to answer or pass on any questions/messages. Clinic was very organized. Morning monitoring hours made it easy to continue going to work each day.
Easy and well run.
Most costs were covered by my insurance. Medication was not. That was quite expensive.
Describe Eric Flisser's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
NY - Eastside

She [Dr. Lekovich] is friendly and understanding. She took her time with my husband and I and gave us thorough explanations. She is excellent at putting me at ease, which I experienced when doing the saline sonogram...This cycle she upped the menopur, isnt doing lupron, and is doing cetrotide. She started this cycle earlier (I was on the pill for less time) This is the second IVF cycle I have done with her.
Office [RMA] was not completely on top of beginning the first cycle. They are fairly receptive. Every sonogram during monitoring I get a different doctor, most are fine but one is not gentle. Dr. Letterman - try not to get him...[Nursing Staff] Nice but do not always explain everything thoroughly...[Monitoring Appointments] Pretty efficient. It is from 7 - 8:30 in the morning,..osts are very expensive, over 15,000 per cycle, not including medications and the anesthesiologist.
How was your experience with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
She is friendly and understanding. She took her time with my husband and I and gave us thorough explanations. She is excellent at putting me at ease, which I experienced when doing the saline sonogram. Years ago I had a terrible experience with the hsg and was nervous. She is good at making conversation and is pleasant all around. I had Dr. Copperman before, she is a million times better.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Nothing in particular
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York?
Very understanding, she explains well and has a great bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Jovana Lekovich used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
She has used gonal f, menopur, lupron. This cycle she upped the menopur, isnt doing lupron, and is doing cetrotide. She started this cycle earlier (I was on the pill for less time) This is the second IVF cycle I have done with her.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Nice but do not always explain everything thoroughly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Office was not completely on top of beginning the first cycle. They are fairly receptive. Every sonogram during monitoring I get a different doctor, most are fine but one is not gentle. Dr. Letterman - try not to get him.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Pretty efficient. It is from 7 - 8:30 in the morning, which has been difficult as I live in queens.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jovana Lekovich at RMA of New York.
Costs are very expensive, over 15,000 per cycle, not including medications and the anesthesiologist. I have gotten a discount through using Bonei Olam, but it is still very expensive.
Describe Jovana Lekovich's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
No comments
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The first doctor I had, Dr. Copperman, was not thorough in his explanations or the routine I would go through. I am lucky to have support from people outside of the clinic or I would not know what to expect.
Jovana Lekovich
NY - Eastside
Dr Copperman was empathetic and always available for questions. ... We only discussed eSET, I am not interested in multiples because of the increased risk of miscarriage and preterm births. ... Dr Copperman took time to answer my questions and explain changes in my protocol. He called me directly with results on a few occasions and was comforting when I found out I miscarried. ... Wish there was more guidance on what I didn't know to ask.
The office [RMA of New York] has a high volume and during the morning monitoring it felt more like a clinic but the doctor was great outside of that experience. ... Both assigned nurses were great. They explained the medication side effects and answered all questions. On the occasion that a different nurse called I had mixed experiences. One gave misinformation about the embryo stage another forgot something I mentioned to her. Overall the two primary were exceptional the others were just ok.
How was your experience with Alan Copperman at RMA of New York?
Dr Copperman took time to answer my questions and explain changes in my protocol. He called me directly with results on a few occasions and was comforting when I found out I miscarried. The conversation was driven by my questions most of the time. Wish there was more guidance on what I didn't know to ask. Although its hard to know what you don't know. Did not feel like a number and felt like I received the needed amount of attention at each stage.
It's a busy office, come with your questions and do your research. It will help you get better answers from the doctors and staff.
Dr Copperman was empathetic and always available for questions. The office has a high volume and during the morning monitoring it felt more like a clinic but the doctor was great outside of that experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Eric Flisser] took time always to answer all of my questions and talk through my different ideas and options...was very knowledgeable about my particular issue and took a lot of time to explain it to me and come up with a treatment plan that took into account my age, what I was up against and the number of children I want...put me on a protocol that would produce enough eggs so that we could pgs test them, but not one that would get me anywhere near hyperstimulating. The rational was that because of my translocation we needed the maximum number of eggs possible so that many embryos could be tested. He made a plan to bank some embryos while I continued to try naturally on my own.
Because my embryos were pgs tested we only transferred one at a time [at RMA of New York]...Very organized, efficient, always open, available to see me and take blood at flexible times, very nice staff, very friendly and comfortable. I would have liked to have had an easier time communicating with the woman in the insurance department...Courtney [nurse] was sometimes a bit confusing. She ordered the wrong test for my embryos but it ended up working for my specific issue. There were a few days where I wasn't sure it would work and that I wouldn't be able to test my embryos again.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Eric Flisser was very knowledgeable about my particular issue and took a lot of time to explain it to me and come up with a treatment plan that took into account my age, what I was up against and the number of children I want.
To see him.
He took time always to answer all of my questions and talk through my different ideas and options.
Dr. Flisser put me on a protocol that would produce enough eggs so that we could pgs test them, but not one that would get me anywhere near hyperstimulating. The rational was that because of my translocation we needed the maximum number of eggs possible so that many embryos could be tested. He made a plan to bank some embryos while I continued to try naturally on my own.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Courtney)
Courtney was sometimes a bit confusing. She ordered the wrong test for my embryos but it ended up working for my specific issue. There were a few days where I wasn't sure it would work and that I wouldn't be able to test my embryos again.
it was very efficient.
Because my embryos were pgs tested we only transferred one at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The only thing that went wrong was that the nurse ordered the wrong genetic test for 7 embryos after my first retrieval. The test ended up being sufficient.
NY - Eastside
Dr. Flisser took his time talking to us and answering questions. Outside of appointments all communication was with office staff... was very informative. He was clear about the process and timing of the procedures. At one point I spoke to another doctor for.a second opinion and when I went back to Dr. Flisser to discuss additional ideas he was open to changing some of the plans. He explained risks and gave statistics when asked.
Strengths [at RMA of New York]. Process and communications. The morning process and calls and emails with directions were always efficient. Cons: Own your financial matters. You need to know your coverage ask questions and followup. Mistakes are made and they aren't proactive enough in planning...Both the nurse and coordinator were extremely responsive either by phone or email. Throughout my time at RMA I always knew I would hear results or get my questions answered immediately.
How was your experience with Eric Flisser at RMA of New York?
Dr. Flisser was very informative. He was clear about the process and timing of the procedures. At one point I spoke to another doctor for.a second opinion and when I went back to Dr. Flisser to discuss additional ideas he was open to changing some of the plans. He explained risks and gave statistics when asked.
I think you just always need to be prepared to ask questions. Dr. Flisser was thorough and informative. You need to proactively make appointments when you want to regroup and discuss options ptherwise all communication was with the staff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Ariel and Courtney)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths. Process and communications. The morning process and calls and emails with directions were always efficient. Cons: Own your financial matters. You need to know your coverage ask questions and followup. Mistakes are made and they aren't proactive enough in planning.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was efficient. The wait varied by morning but was always reasonable.
Dr. Flisser only recommended single transfers during my treatment.

14 Eggs Frozen
I wish I had seen a different doctor at RMA or gone to a different clinic. While I did get 14 eggs, I don't feel Dr. Sandler really took the time to personalize my care. I believe that with more personalized attention I could have gotten more eggs. Every time I saw him he was extremely negative and patronizing. It was emotional draining....He was very long-winded and quite depressing in my visits. At the same time, after doing a lot of acupuncture, I ended up with 14 eggs. I wish he had been more kind and informative when we spoke.
RMA -- NY East Side is a factory. They are successful, no doubt. But be prepared to sit in an overcrowded waiting room and be there for hours if you don't arrive every early in the morning. The front desk staff is brutal, it's impossible to get through on the phone quickly and you'll have a headache with finance. If you can get there first thing in the morning, you are likely to have a better experience with lab tests. But I felt like I was a number almost every time I went.
Don't see him.
Dr. Sandler had both strengths and weaknesses. I have one ovary that is damaged from an endometrial cyst. Dr. Sandler felt it was unlikely I would get that many eggs from egg freezing as a result. He was very long-winded and quite depressing in my visits. At the same time, after doing a lot of acupuncture, I ended up with 14 eggs. I wish he had been more kind and informative when we spoke.
I don't remember.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I don't feel like the nursing staff at RMA is much of a presence. They were difficult to reach, and curt in the office. I actually felt apologetic every time I was there because they seemed completely overloaded. It took multiple calls to get a return phone call.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring appointments went ok if you managed to get there right when they opened. You would say a range of doctors, which was ok, and get blood drawn by different lab nurses. But if you get there mid-morning, you would have to wait for hours and people were very grouchy.
Egg freezing with the medication was about $8,000.
I don't know
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
I had to play more an administrative role with this clinic than I believe is appropriate. I had to call multiple times to get an appointment, get lab results or get information on the protocol and plan. Even paying a bill requires at least an hour on a good day. They give zero guidance as to how to navigate their system, and I honestly felt like if I had gone somewhere else it would have been far less stressful. Perhaps I should have consulted with one of the better rated doctors there and I would have had a better experience.
NY - Eastside

I did 3 rounds of IUI without any medicine, just ultrasound monitoring [with Dr. Tanmoy Mukherjee]. After that we moved to clomid and an ovadril trigger shot. We planned to do that for 3 rounds and if it didn't work, move on to IVF. Luckily it worked the last round of IUI with meds...He was patient, answered a MILLION questions, even via email in weekends. He was truthful and also kind and caring. I felt like I was in really good, caring hands.
[Nurses at RMA of New York were] Impressively coordinated. Quick to follow up and answer questions/get me bloodwork results. Gentle with ovadril shots. Helpful finding me the cheapest pharmacy to get my medicine from when it wasn't fully covered...Go early for monitoring, you'll go right in! They are very coordiated from admins tl nurses to doctors.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
He is upbeat, realistic and worked with us to do what we needed. He was compassionate and caring. He is attentive and responsive. He is organized and a clear communicator. He is upbeat, realistic and worked with us to do what we needed. He was compassionate and caring. He is attentive and responsive. He is organized and a clear communicator.
He's a good guy who is caring and passionate about helping people get pregnant.
I did 3 rounds of IUI without any medicine, just ultrasound monitoring. After that we moved to clomid and an ovadril trigger shot. We planned to do that for 3 rounds and if it didn't work, move on to IVF. Luckily it worked the last round of IUI with meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Go early for monitoring, you'll go right in! They are very coordiated from admins tl nurses to doctors. Go early for monitoring, you'll go right in! They are very coordiated from admins tl nurses to doctors.
I was covered by insurance, only paid about $400 out of pocket there, and $100 3 times for Ovadril.
Describe Tanmoy Mukherjee's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
N/A for IUI
NY - Eastside
Dr. McAvey was very sympathetic and listened to our concerns. ... she didn't seem particularly resourceful when we were faced with the results of the initial workup. It turned out we had a combination of DOR and male factor infertility, and she immediately suggested donor eggs, which we weren't ready for. ... we were disappointed by the lack of real treatment strategies for using my own eggs first.
It's a large clinic with multiple locations and many patients, but the staff does make you feel like you are a human, which we really appreciated. (We didn't have much of an interaction beyond a few consultations and workup, because we went elsewhere for our actual treatment.) It felt like RMA is run well. Both our appointments were on time and we didn't have any billing issues. ...
How was your experience with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey was warm and compassionate. It put us at ease, but she didn't seem particularly resourceful when we were faced with the results of the initial workup. It turned out we had a combination of DOR and male factor infertility, and she immediately suggested donor eggs, which we weren't ready for. We wanted to try with my own eggs at least once before going down that route. We decided to consult elsewhere for a second opinion, as we weren't sure if Dr. McAvey had the expertise for us. The treatment plan she suggested was either donor eggs or cookie-cutter IVF that didn't seem tailored at all.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Beth McAvey at RMA of New York?
Dr. McAvey was very sympathetic and listened to our concerns. She was the first doctor we saw with our suspected infertility, and I appreciated being treated like a human when we were apprehensive and unsure what the future holds.
Describe the protocols Beth McAvey used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Her first suggestion was using donor eggs due to my low ovarian reserve/high FSH. While I understood that donor eggs would give us much higher potential for success, we were disappointed by the lack of real treatment strategies for using my own eggs first.
Beth McAvey
NY - Eastside
He [Dr. Benjamin Sandler] right away told me that with my conditions (mostly PCOS but also unexplained infertility) he suggested we move straight to IVF to increase chances of getting pregnant. He also gave me the option of doing more IUI treatments, but didn't think they would work for me...He showed me different statistics, but also talked about how my personal conditions could influence results. He gave me options, talked about what he thought would work for me and advised on how he thought I should proceed.
The clinic [RMA of NY] is very well run. Monitoring appointments are very convenient as the clinic opens up early. If I came by 7 am, I'd be out no later than 8 each time, which gave me plenty of time to get to work...The nurses are wonderful! They always answered all questions and returned my calls promptly.
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
He's a great doctor. Even during my initial consultation with him, I felt confident in him as my doctor and knew I could trust him. He showed me different statistics, but also talked about how my personal conditions could influence results. He gave me options, talked about what he thought would work for me and advised on how he thought I should proceed.
Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as possible. He's a great doctor!
He was always there to answer questions, he was the one who monitored most of my appointments, he explained everything very well every step along the way, he was compassionate and kind, gave me options, his staff was wonderful.
He right away told me that with my conditions (mostly PCOS but also unexplained infertility) he suggested we move straight to IVF to increase chances of getting pregnant. He also gave me the option of doing more IUI treatments, but didn't think they would work for me. I chose to move on to IVF with him and am happy I did so.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The clinic is very well run. Monitoring appointments are very convenient as the clinic opens up early. If I came by 7 am, I'd be out no later than 8 each time, which gave me plenty of time to get to work.
He suggested to transfer 1 embryo at a time given my age and medical history.
NY - Eastside
Dr Mukherjee genuinely care about his patients and took the time to talk at length with me and my husband, who is also a physician and had very detailed questions. He was responsive by email and his staff followed up in a caring and patient manner as well...He evaluated our situation and did not push us to do IVF... I saw him for all the visits that really mattered. Once when I was struggling with a medication he even followed up with me later that day to make sure I was ok. He's wonderful.
I spoke with multiple nurses [at RMA] and each time the person knew exactly what I needed to do next and was able to guide me in the process, but don't expect a "buddy" throughout this. They have a large staff and they rotate around...They are pretty flexible if you run late for monitoring or need to see a nurse that day...It's true it's a well-oiled machine, but one that works! Go as early as possible for monitoring or risk waiting a while.
How was your experience with Tanmoy Mukherjee at RMA of New York?
He evaluated our situation and did not push us to do IVF, rather explained it was an option that would significantly decrease the chance of an abnormality resulting in miscarriage. We chose to do IVF and throughout the process he and his staff were hugely supportive. I saw him for all the visits that really mattered. Once when I was struggling with a medication he even followed up with me later that day to make sure I was ok. He's wonderful.
Be prepared that RMA can feel like a factory, but don't let that cloud your experience. Mukherjee himself is a renowned and competent dr. You're in good hands.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Isabelle)
I spoke with multiple nurses and each time the person knew exactly what I needed to do next and was able to guide me in the process, but don't expect a "buddy" throughout this. They have a large staff and they rotate around.
Insurance covered 90% of cost
NY - Eastside

Dr. Sandler is an expert in the field. He is honest and compassionate and kept me informed every step of the way....Dr. Sandler navigates the stress while providing realistic expectations. I did two rounds of IVF and was not successful....I took several months off to regroup and went the egg donor route. He explained the entire process, the statistics and the risks. Dr. Sandler was compassionate and patient with me. He was honest yet comforting.
Strength is that they [RMA - East Side] get results. Weakness is that it is a very busy practice and it is frustrating during the monitoring process. Also when you call, if is quite difficult to speak to the doctor. You always get a nurse first... Dará Berg is the specialist for donor egg recipients. She was incredibly responsive, compassionate and well-versed in the process....I paid for egg freezing ($10,000), IVF ($10,000 each time). Insurance covered $10,000 of embryo transfer with donor egg (which total cost was $23,000)
How was your experience with Benjamin Sandler at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sandler is an expert in the field. He is honest and compassionate and kept me informed every step of the way. It is a very stressful experience as a patient with difficulties trying to conceive. Dr. Sandler navigates the stress while providing realistic expectations.
Dr. Sandler is amazing. Be patient with the size of the practice. He is worth the wait.
Several years ago i froze my eggs. When I was ready to conceive I did two rounds of IVF and was not successful. I then thawed my eggs and that procedure was also unsuccessful. I took several months off to regroup and went the egg donor route. He explained the entire process, the statistics and the risks. I now have a beautiful healthy daughter.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Dará berg)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strength is that they get results. Weakness is that it is a very busy practice and it is frustrating during the monitoring process. Also when you call, if is quite difficult to speak to the doctor. You always get a nurse first.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
The window was convenient but it was terribly busy. Often times I waited an hour or more.
dr. Sandler was pretty insistent on implanting a single embryo.