Natan Bar-Chama

311 North Street, Suite 310
White Plains, NY 10605
914-997-6200

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way.... Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace,
Convenient locations [RMANY] and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file....My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is smart and thoughtful. She did take the time to get to know me and my priorities. That said, I don't think she shared enough medical information with me - why she was making the decisions she did and what various risks and side effects were along the way. I started treatment when I was 32 - she basically told me I could or could not do PGS testing given my age. 4 transfers later with 2 miscarriages (1 ectopic) and 2 failed transfers I am frustrated that little was changed from cycle to cycle and we were encouraged to make other changes (such as PGS testing or supplemental changes).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
She is great within RMA, but RMA has a million patients. If you are meeting the standard protocol, she is great, but may be less so with special cases.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton personally called me many times and I know she truly cared about my outcome. That said, RMA is a huge clinic so she only had so much time to dedicate to an individual patient.
Describe the protocols Kim L. Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Diagnosed with hypothalamic amenorrhea so directed to go straight to IVF given my desire to get pregnant. Given only Menopur on my retrieval cycle, which I've heard is normal with HA. Transfer medication included oral estrace, estrace patch and progesterone shots. After first pregnancy resulted in ectopic they added a baby aspirin. Only other change was in my fourth transfer, taking 1 dose of estrace vaginally to increase the thickness of my lining.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I had a few nurses call me most frequently. They were nice and very professional, but not very compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Convenient locations and streamlined processes. You are 1 or 1,000. Specialized care and extra time for treatment is not really possible. Overall all doctors are professional, but it is frustrating when you don't really feel that they've had time to read your file.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Madison office is a nightmare. They often opened late at the Downtown facility, but the staff there is great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York.
Covered by insurance. Probably paid $2K out of pocket.
Describe Kim L. Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
I wish the rationale (eSET) had been explained to me more BEFORE my treatment. I think given my weight they considered it far too risky to have twins or other multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
During my ectopic pregnancy, I was given no warning and told I had to come in for shots at 3:30pm by the EOD (5pm) all the way uptown. This resulted in me looking unprofessional in my job, not to mention the emotional turmoil. My coordinator was very sweet, but often had no idea what part of my cycle I was in. I had to correct her multiple times, many on important things, like the prescriptions she was calling in.
NY - Downtown

She [Dr. Kimberly Thornton] sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results...It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks...Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions...During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes...not value evidence-based treatment...The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.
The biggest problem or RMA is communication. There is no patient portal and you can only get partial verbal information from a phone call from a nurse. RMA does not provide a consistent treatment procedure. The experiences are very different based on your doctor and nurse...For IUI, RMA took bloodwork on Day 3 and will send an email to let you know when to come in for ultrasound and trigger shot and the date for IUI. During the ultrasound, you have to ask for folical number and sizes. RMA does not share that information by default. Nurse
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She sent me to different tests and has never explained or discussed the results. RMA does not provide a patient portal system and she does not share all the test results, not mention to review them or responds to them. It has been a very difficult experience. She is not thorough and will let things fall through the cracks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
If you are under 35-year old, lucky and healthy, it might be OK to work with Dr. Thornton. If you are older and cannot waste your time, do not work with her. Her one-way, broad-brush approach does not suit a patient with special medical conditions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is warm and polite. However, the whole process is a one-way approach. She applies the same treatments and has never adjusted them based on the test results or previous failure cycle. She is not interested in increasing my odds but sales the treatment cycle one after another.
Describe the protocols Kimberley Thornton used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Moro)
The nurse plays a key role in IVF and IUI procedure. Melissa tends to ignore emails and has never clearly explained the procedure. She fails to communicate all of my test results or check my records. When she is on vacation, no one coves her duty. Things can easily fall through cracks. It is nerve-breaking to work with her.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York.
I pay co-pays and medication for IUI procedures.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Dr. Thornton and her team do not value evidence-based treatment. They do not communicate, review all test results or investigate the best treatment for each person. The one-direction, the general approach is a waste of everyone's time and money.

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Thornton is great at following standard operating procedures, but doesn't provide a high quality of care. She is incredibly risk averse. I often felt I knew more about my course of treatment through internet research then what she was able to tell me. She doesn't seem to care about her patients and doesn't always follow through on what she describes as "next steps" in course of treatment. After 3 years, I feel like I can't trust her and have little confidence in what she says.
The nursing staff [at RMA of New York]... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized...Monitoring was awful. A room full of dozens of women waiting to be seen. Wait times were erratic. Sometimes it was 10 minutes, sometimes it was an hour and 10 minutes...During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Don't bother... find another doctor.
At RMA, expect to feel like a one of thousands of patients that are pushed through the system. You won't be allowed to speak to someone when you call. You won't actually see your doctor when you have an appointment. When you do manage to see your doctor, they will not follow through on what they said in previous appointments. If you have thoughts on your treatment, they won't listen.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nursing staff... Seems like there were a dozen and I spoke to a different person on the hotline every time. The nurse coordinating medications was so disorganized. If I wasn't an organized intelligent and highly educated person... I wouldn't have had the medication I needed to continue with treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The phlebatomist is the only pleasant person who knows what she is doing and does it well. The receptionist is awful. She's cosntantly scowling and rude to patients. Her temperament would be better suited for someone who didn't have to interact with people. During my treatment here, I have seen 5-6 different doctors. I understand it takes a team, but the number of people that I was bounced around to led to a horrible patient experience and low quality of care. When I had questions - people didn't have the answers because they didn't know my case and it took 3-5 phone calls to ever get a knowledgeable person on the phone.

Treated 2018 - 2019
At the end of the day, my IVF procedure worked and I am pregnant. I transitioned to Dr. Sekhon from a doctor who left the clinic and the transition was messy and often fraught with bad communication and lack of compassion...she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email... treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
RMA doesn’t really allow the conversation of having more than one egg transferred OR discounting subsequent transfer cycles for patients under 35...At times in the process you can definitely feel that RMA is more concerned with their own stats than your individual patient case. They are rigid in their standards (which are top notch) but sometimes to a fault..The phlebotomist is really great at RMA! Also shoutout to Nurse Melissa who is lovely and often went above and beyond. I felt she explained things to me in a way doctor Sekhon was not capable of and always showed compassion. The coordinator, Jennifer, is sweet and was helpful but definitely inexperienced.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Ask all the questions- she’s not going to offer up the info if you don’t. Push back if something doesn’t feel right or clear to you. She is better over the phone than via email.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr. Sekhon treated me on a very ‘need to know’ basis. I felt often I didn’t have all the information and that she didn’t take into account the emotional toll of fertility treatments and the overwhelming waterfall of decision making that comes with if.
Describe the protocols Lucky Sekhon used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I believe I did the antagonist protocol and had to do 13 days of shoes because my follicles took awhile to develop.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Needle)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
It was a cattle call and often created conflicts with work because they were completely inflexible. The front desk admin sent out bloodwork for the day multiple times before monitoring hours were over, leading to issues with same day results.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York.
I had insurance coverage that was capped at $10k for lifetime maximum so paid a few thousand out of pocket at least . I was ultimately able to get my medications covered but only because someone from Glow suggested I fight for it.
Describe Lucky Sekhon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The clinic and transition between doctors felt at times messy. In particular, the receptionist/admin had a terrible attitude and was hard to navigate.
NY - Downtown
She [Dr. Sekhon] really seems to tailor her conversations and treatments to the specific patient and really goes out of her way to make sure that she answers all your questions and makes you feel comfortable. ... She always responds to emails or calls in a super timely manner. She never makes you feel silly for asking questions and always respects when you advocate for yourself.
Its [RMA of New York] small and never overcrowded. I get in and out of the office quickly. Monitoring hours could be a little earlier. 7:30 is a little late. ... The receptionist at the downtown location could brush up on her people skills a little. She's not the best and could be friendlier. ... The nurses on Dr Sekhon's staff are great. They always call you right back. They are very informed and answers questions with ease.
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Dr Sekhon is such a breath of fresh air compare to my last RE. She is kind, respectful, detailed in her responses and generally seems to care. She never makes you feel like you are a number. She really knows what she is talking about and is on top of all the latest studies and treatment options. She never just does something because that is just what is typically done. She really seems to tailor her conversations and treatments to the specific patient and really goes out of her way to make sure that she answers all your questions and makes you feel comfortable. She has also been through IVF herself so she actually knows what her patients are going through physically and mentally. I cannot recommend her more.
Be completely open and honest with her. Tell her all the supplements you are taking, she will tell you which ones you actually need, unlike many who say you don't need to take anything. Ask her lots of questions in general. She will answer them all even if they seem ridiculous.
Dr Sekhon really takes the time to talk to you and work with you on your treatments. She always responds to emails or calls in a super timely manner. She never makes you feel silly for asking questions and always respects when you advocate for yourself. She just really gets it and understands its not just the infertility that needs to be treated, its also the anxiety that goes along with it. She works really hard to set your mind at ease. She doesn't sugarcoat, but she is also not cold and matter of fact like many RE's are.
We have only done one clomid iui cycle with her that was unsuccessful. We are currently on our second cycle of clomid and waiting for the iui. The first cycle Dr Sekhon prescribed clomid to us after blood work on CD3 then had me come back on cycle day 10 for a scan trigger shot and iui the next day. I did feel it was a little early, but I was seeing another dr in her practice that morning so didn't have a chance to discuss. I voiced my concerns and this round we are doing scans and blood work to make absolutely sure its the the right time to trigger. Dr Sekhon had absolutely no problem at all with tailoring the treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Connie Schmidt )
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I see Dr Sekhon at the Downtown location. Its small and never overcrowded. I get in and out of the office quickly. Monitoring hours could be a little earlier. 7:30 is a little late. I have heard the midtown east location can be a bit of a cattle call, but I think that is true for just about every practice at the larger locations. The receptionist at the downtown location could brush up on her people skills a little. She's not the best and could be friendlier.
I haven't done IVF yet so I am not sure what the total cost is, but iui was $350.
She said because we already had one child she recommends one embryo transfer since we do not want to have more than 2 kids.
Treated 2015 - 2018
Dr Davis has an excellent bedside manner and does a great job thoroughly explaining different methods and approaches to treatment. He is very prompt in responding to emails and addresses any concerns. Communicating with Dr. Davis feels like a dialogue between two equal partners instead of a one-sided conversation... Dr. Davis was a strong advocate for transferring a single embryo for all of our transfer cycles. Given my age there wasn't a real reason to transfer multiple embryos and the risk associated with multiples was not one we felt we needed to take at this point.
[RMA of NY-Downtown's] Strengths: Staff are very prompt in responding to questions via email or phone. Weaknesses: Lack of coordination and multiple follow up emails/calls needed for the same question. Not always supportive/compassionate.... Most of my monitoring is done remotely as I live of out state, however when I have gone to appointments at RMA the offices are always clean and staff are friendly. The Manhattan – Eastside office is particularly busy and can be a bit overwhelming during monitoring hours but their process is very efficient which helps.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
You are your best advocate. Speak up if you have questions/concerns and educate yourself on your treatment options.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Dr. Davis clearly explains all of our treatment options and makes time to answer all of our questions. He is kind and approachable and seems to truly care about about the outcome of our treatment.
Describe the protocols Joseph Davis used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
freeze all - antagonist protocol with birth control bills
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Most of my monitoring is done remotely, but when I have gone to monitoring hours it's been at the Manhattan – Eastside office which is quite busy. That being said they are very efficient and if you get there early you can get in and out rather quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Davis at RMA of New York.
Insurance did not cover any of my treatment. Both freeze-all cycles were approx. $15K + $2-4K for medications. Transfers were approx. $2,500 + medications.
Describe Joseph Davis's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
At times there is a lack of coordination between staff which has resulted in numerous emails or phone calls to resolve a single issue or clarify a particular part of the suggested protocol (for example: medication dosage, follow up appointment dates, billing issues). If you're able to communicate directly with your coordinator and the few nurses that are familiar with your specific treatment plan things go much smoother.
Treated 2017 - 2018
I feel doctor Davis cares deeply about my case, but he is not the type of doctor to get extremely personal or send follow up texts after a failed cycle. He is very straight forward and matter of fact. For me it works, because it gives me great confidence in him. He has a warm personality and has never made a consultation feel rushed.... I have a lot of questions and he answers them thoughtfully and thoroughly. During my procedures I have always felt I was in the most capable hands.
I am thrilled with Dr.Davis, his receptionist, nurse, and all of the staff [at RMA of NY] who draw blood during monitoring hours. These are the people I see most often on my visits. I have not been as happy with the coordinators, but I deal with them a lot less... Including meds I think I paid around 850-900 per IUI cycle. Including meds, ICSI & PGS testing I expect to pay somewhere around 32K for my upcoming IVF cycle
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
I am very happy with the care I have received from doctor Davis. For me he is a great fit. I have a lot of questions and he answers them thoughtfully and thoroughly. During my procedures I have always felt I was in the most capable hands. I only once felt unsatisfied. I was prescribed a medication before a procedure that had pretty bad side effects (extreme cramping and a lot of bleeding). I was not told about the side effects by my doctor, nurse, or pharmacy. I am assuming Dr. Davis thought I would be told about the side effects by the nurse, or that they would atleast be included in the booklet that comes with the medication. It was very upsetting at the time, but I don't even know who is to blame. That is my only negative experience thus far, and I believe it was an honest mistake.
Dr Davis is a wonderful doctor with a great personality. At times I feel like a number, but that is due to the high number of patients that visit his office. There are only 2 doctors at his location, and at times there are a 10 or more patients in the waiting room during monitoring hours. I think that is just a testament to what a good practice it is, and it does not hinder me in any way from going there. I believe I am receiving the best care at RMA. I think if you want to be educated about your care by a doctor that you like as a person, than Dr. Davis is a good fit for you.
I have done 2 IUIs with Dr. Davis, both with clomid and ovidrel. I did not have success with either cycle, but I was fully educated about my likelyhood of a pregnancy before proceeding. I intended on doing a third IUI, but the doctor saw a uterine polyp on my last ultrasound that needs to be removed. I am turning 37 and feel I don't want to delay any longer, so I will do an egg retrieval this month, remove the polyp the following month, and then do a frozen transfer after I recover from the polyp surgery.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I am thrilled with Dr.Davis, his receptionist, nurse, and all of the staff who draw blood during monitoring hours. These are the people I see most often on my visits. I have not been as happy with the coordinators, but I deal with them a lot less.
Treated 2017 - 2018
She made me feel comfortable asking any questions I had, and really tried to make sure I knew what was happening and when. I never felt like my visits were rushed or that I was just some name on a list of pts she had to get to that day. ... During my IVF cycle, Dr. Thornton saw me every time I went in for bloodwork/ultrasounds. ... At both my consultation appts, she spent at least 2 hours going over every step and procedure my husband and I would have to undergo.
There’s always a nurse to answer questions. The staff [RMA of New York] is overall very friendly and accommodating. Weakness: During monitoring, and especially at RMA East, you can feel like just a number. It gets super busy and sometimes you wait for upwards of a hour. Sometimes you don’t get to see your doctor, which can be stressful. ... All the monitoring hours are in the morning before work, but the earlier you go the better.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
I honestly really loved Dr. Thornton. At both my consultation appts, she spent at least 2 hours going over every step and procedure my husband and I would have to undergo. We had a particularly hard IVF cycle (8 of our 10 embryos didn’t make it after Day 4) and when I totally lost it sobbing in her office, she was so sweet and hopeful that those two embryos were all we needed. She made me feel comfortable asking any questions I had, and really tried to make sure I knew what was happening and when. I never felt like my visits were rushed or that I was just some name on a list of pts she had to get to that day.
Definitely only see her at the Downtown office, it’s so much calmer and more pleasant. She goes back and forth between it and RMA East, but RMA East is SO much busier.
During my IVF cycle, Dr. Thornton saw me every time I went in for bloodwork/ultrasounds. She answered all my questions and never made me feel like I holding her up or that she was annoyed when I had a million and one questions.
Dr. Thorntons whole team was awesome. Clarissa did all the paperwork and was very organized and on top of her stuff. Kayla did fiances and really knew her stuff. We were self pay, and she helped us figure out of there was any way to cut some costs or make it a little lighter. Melissa is the IVF nurse and not only called with all my protocol, but would also immediately follow up with an email. When I got pregnant, I experienced a lot of spotting. Melissa was awesome about answering me by email or phone, and made sure all my neurotic questions were answered and me and baby were safe.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strength: The know what they’re doing. There’s always a nurse to answer questions. The staff is overall very friendly and accommodating. Weakness: During monitoring, and especially at RMA East, you can feel like just a number. It gets super busy and sometimes you wait for upwards of a hour. Sometimes you don’t get to see your doctor, which can be stressful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
All the monitoring hours are in the morning before work, but the earlier you go the better. RMA downtown is a smaller practice so much better wait time and smoother experience. RMA East is their main office and incredibly busy. They definitely see pts who are bloodwork/ultrasound before those who are just bloodwork.
We were self pay. Only thing insurance helped with was medications (which is a huge help). IUI: about $1, 500 a cycle IVF: about $16, 000 Pregnancy monitoring: about $3, 000 PSG: $150 to do it, than $150 an egg Genetic testing: $350/person Freezing costs: $1000/year
Describe Kimberley Thornton's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
As a 27 year old, she was only going to do single transfers until I had had 3 transfers that didn’t take. She does allow older women to transfer 2 earlier than that.
Treated 2017
My dr [Dr. Kimberly Thornton] and I opted to do an unmedicated iui...My dr provided me with test results and said she was uncertain about something but felt safe continuing with one iui if I wanted without further testing...was very good about giving me options and helping me weigh the pros and cons of each, allowing me to make my own choices. She seemed to understand LGBT fertility care and acknowledge that it may look different from other fertility care.
Pros [at RMA of New York]: The doctors are excellent and provide great care. They have in house blood work and the nurses always managed to get my bloodwork easily and with minimal pain. The doctors listen to you. Cons: you likely won’t see your own dr for your procedure - it will likely be a stranger to you. There are so many patients that with the clinic as a while you feel very much like a number and a statistic rather than a human.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
My doctor was very good about giving me options and helping me weigh the pros and cons of each, allowing me to make my own choices. She seemed to understand LGBT fertility care and acknowledge that it may look different from other fertility care.
Know the limits and rules of the clinic.
I felt like a human with the doctor but more of a number with the clinic. Nurses that called didn’t seem to know me or my case and I had to know what my own protocol was if it was different than their standard.
I did not use any medication. I tracked my ovulation with OPK tests and called the clinic when I was ovulating and went in for iui. I did a LOT of testing before iui.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses were great with blood work and in my appointments but the nurses who called me clearly told everyone the exact same thing. If I hadn’t really advocated for myself and insisted on speaking to my doctor before purchasing medication I would have purchased unnecessary medication.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Pros: The doctors are excellent and provide great care. They have in house blood work and the nurses always managed to get my bloodwork easily and with minimal pain. The doctors listen to you. Cons: you likely won’t see your own dr for your procedure - it will likely be a stranger to you. There are so many patients that with the clinic as a while you feel very much like a number and a statistic rather than a human.
RMA was able to get all of my appointments and testing covered by insurance. I paid about $400 for my iui itself.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
-My dr and I opted to do an unmedicated iui. A nurse I had never spoken to called and told me I needed to purchase a list of medications. When I explained that I was doing unmedicated she swore that I needed this particular list either way. I had to demand to speak to my dr to clarify that I did not need medication. -My dr provided me with test results and said she was uncertain about something but felt safe continuing with one iui if I wanted without further testing. I called to schedule my iui and the nurse looked at my chart and said I could not do my iui. I was so upset thinking I couldn’t proceed and not understanding why. I asked to speak to my dr and she told me I could proceed and to come in that day.
Treated 2017
During the few times where I saw Dr. Davis I really liked him, but most of the time I was interacting with nurses, staff, and other doctors....There was miscommunication between those people and it seemed that the staff/nurses/doctors did not read my chart....I was not quite ready to do IVF and wanted to try other options, using letrizol, ovidrel, and progesterone with timed intercourse. I liked that Dr. Davis was open to this and never pushed me to move forward before I was ready.
The clinic [RMA - Downtown] usually responds quickly to questions. They typically contact by phone, which could be tough while I was at work and involved a lot of phone tag....There were some issues with some nurses/staff not understanding my files and difficulty with communication. I also had an incident when I came on time for monitoring hours but they would not test me because the doctor's schedule was backed up. I had to take more time off work to go uptown for the test.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
During the few times where I saw Dr. Davis I really liked him, but most of the time I was interacting with nurses, staff, and other doctors. My case is a bit different from most and I had to regularly remind each person I was in contact with. There was miscommunication between those people and it seemed that the staff/nurses/doctors did not read my chart. My big issue is with RMA as a practice. I don't think I realized how much of a problem it was until I left the practice upon moving.
As Dr. Davis to ensure that you care is known across all members of the RMA team.
Most of the nurses and doctors at RMA were kind, friendly, and sensitive
I was not quite ready to do IVF and wanted to try other options, using letrizol, ovidrel, and progesterone with timed intercourse. I liked that Dr. Davis was open to this and never pushed me to move forward before I was ready. It was difficult that it never felt like we were trying to figure out what is wrong, but just trying solutions. None of these treatments ended in pregnancy. When IVF was a next step, I was moving out of state and did not continue at RMA for that reason.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
there were several nurses and I never knew who to contact. This was where problems arose with each nurse not knowing my care plan. I had to explain it repeatedly.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic usually responds quickly to questions. They typically contact by phone, which could be tough while I was at work and involved a lot of phone tag. I asked to be emailed and that made things much easier. There are several locations that you can go to for monitoring hours, but this was not always clear, so just ask.
Treated 2017
On my first visit, Dr. Davis was INCREDIBLY thorough and thoughtful. He spent almost two hours with me and my husband, walking us through the female reproductive organs (this may sound simple, but there was A LOT we didn't know!), how various hormones effect follicle growth, ovulation, etc. and why, based on my blood tests, I might not be ovulating. ...With each cycle, Dr. Davis took time to explain how the medication worked and how he expected it would affect me / my body.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
I was referred to Dr. Davis in early 2017, when I failed to resume a normal menstrual cycle after months off birth control (and failing the progesterone challenge, abnormal blood tests, etc.). On my first visit, Dr. Davis was INCREDIBLY thorough and thoughtful. He spent almost two hours with me and my husband, walking us through the female reproductive organs (this may sound simple, but there was A LOT we didn't know!), how various hormones effect follicle growth, ovulation, etc. and why, based on my blood tests, I might not be ovulating. Over the course of six months, we tried various medications to induce ovulation - Clomid, Provera, and then injectables. With each cycle, Dr. Davis took time to explain how the medication worked and how he expected it would affect me / my body. He always took care to walk us through all of our various treatment options (pros and cons) and allowed us to choose the path that felt the most comfortable to us. I am thrilled to report that I am now 18 weeks pregnant with our first child (it was a bittersweet day when we "graduated" from Dr. Davis to the OB/GYN)! I am so grateful for the care and support I received while a patient of Dr. Davis. I would also note that the downtown RMA office is small (compared to the large uptown location) and very efficiently run. Everyone from the nurses to the finance staff were pleasant to work with (and very responsive to calls and questions along the way). I personally appreciated that Dr. Davis has a holistic approach to treatment and I took advantage of the on-staff nutritionist (Dara Godfrey) and took him up on suggestion to try acupuncture as well. All in all, I think Dr. Davis is a phenomenal doctor with a wonderful bedside manner and I would highly recommend him and his practice to anyone undergoing fertility treatments.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The downtown office is small and very efficiently run. Would highly recommend it over the East Side location, which is large and can be very crowded (you'll have to go to the East Side location for weekend monitoring hours regardless)
The vast majority of my care was covered by insurance. The RMA finance team took care to work with my insurance company when any questions arose.
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Thornton is nice and somewhat caring but she did not listen to me when I wanted to get the full work up done. I emailed her listed of test and Informed her that I would like to get all of the blood work out of they way...Dr. Thornton did not give me advice or answers on why I was miscarriage...When I went for office visits, I saw a rotating set of doctors instead of my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. I felt more like a number then a human at RMA.
There was a lack of communication between staff [at RMA]. My primary nurse was hard to get in contact didn’t have her direct line or email...RMA gave me misinformation about prescriptions covered/not covered multiple times. i had to call and clarify everything with my insurance company because of RMA’s lack of knowledge and follow through. They also sent me to the wrong place to get blood work done twice with no apologies or anything.
How was your experience with Kim L. Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Thornton is nice and somewhat caring but she did not listen to me when I wanted to get the full work up done. I emailed her listed of test and Informed her that I would like to get all of the blood work out of they way. But that was not the case. I had to go for more blood work (that should have need done the first time around). They probably wanted to just be able to charge me the fee of an office visit. Dr. Thornton did not give me advice or answers on why I was miscarriage. She just offered to keep trying with IVF so RMA could rack in the cash
Stay on top of your care and ask questions if you do or know why is happening or why it is happening. Research on your own and stay informed of proper protocol. Check and recheck all of the suggested methods.
There was a complete lack of communication between the doctors, nurses and financial/ insurance authorization department. Multiple doctors would see me and information was not getting communicated to my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. The nurses would send me for blood work to their Madison location only to find out that certain tests had to be done through quest diagnostics. I had to get blood taken at multiple times at different locations due to communication problems with the RMA’s authorization protocol. Also, when I was miscarriage get no doctors on call would get back to me. RMA does not give out direct lines to your doctors or nurses assigned to you, so when you call in with a question or problem, it takes 20 minutes to get to the right person’s voicemail Then, you have to wait for a call back which was complete inconvenient because you get caught in a game of phone tag without anyone actually answering your question. RMA’s system of communicationis completely unrealistic exspecially as a full time professional. The nurses who take your blood are rude and have awful bedside manner. The just see you as a number and do not treat you as a patient. When I was spotting, I went to go and get my levels checked to see how the pregnancy was doing and the nurse got annoyed with me that I went after monitoring hours! Even after I told her what the situation was and informed her of my past two miscarriages! Do not go here if you want to be treated like a human being
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: I was provided with multiple which was very confusing )
There was a lack of communication between staff. My primary nurse was hard to get in contact didn’t have her direct line or email. They changed my care coordinator 3 times with out even telling me. I also got complete misinformation regarding which perscriptions were covered/not covered. They also referred me to a pharmacy that charged me 3 times the amount Walgreens charged. The care coordinator gave me complete misinformation which made the process more confusing, frustrating, and stressful!
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic is clean. They have protocols in place. The Dr.’s are nice. Runs like a machine with a lot of moving parts. Hard to contact nurses and doctors directly. You call and contect to the main office on Madison Ave regardless of what location you go to. Once you get an operator, they transfer you call to the local office and you have to restate why you are calling before they transfer you or take a message. When I went for office visits, I saw a rotating set of doctors instead of my primary doctor, Dr. Thornton. I felt more like a number then a human at RMA. They are efficient at IVF but lack a human touch. I felt like a cash cow to RMA. The process is hard enough, you don’t need the added stress of dealing with the office.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours were 7:30-9:30. Sometimes the wait was 45 minutes other times it was 10-20 minutes. You can get your blood drawn at other offices if needed which was convenient. But you have to go to the Madison office for all procedures done, IUI, IVF, etc.
My insurance covered almost of the procedures but we still spent around 5,000 for copays, medication and blood work. We spent an additional 5 for PGS testing and embryo storing.
I did PGS testing on all embroils before the transfer. Single embryo transfer reduces risks and pregnancy complications so I agreed with doing the single embryo transfer to minimize risk
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
RMA gave me misinformation about prescriptions covered/not covered multiple times. i had to call and clarify everything with my insurance company because of RMA’s lack of knowledge and follow through. They also sent me to the wrong place to get blood work done twice with no apologies or anything. I also informed the head nurse who never got back to me about the situation. Horrible communication and customer care/support
Treated 2016
She [Dr. Kim Thornton] was professional, kind and ultimately got the job done! I think her only weakness is that she seems young and my husband and I sometimes found her manner of speech to be a bit millenial-esque. But that's being very nit-picky!...I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coo
I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic [RMA of New York] is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coo
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She was professional, kind and ultimately got the job done! I think her only weakness is that she seems young and my husband and I sometimes found her manner of speech to be a bit millenial-esque. But that's being very nit-picky!
Communication with the office was very convenient. I was assigned a coordinator who helped implement the doctor's treatment plan and was easily available by email (and phone if I needed it). Plus, I got to see my doctor every time I was there and she knew us and our case well. I never felt 'lost' in their system.
Antagonist protocol - retrieval (Gonal F 150IU sub Q daily; Menopur 2 vials sub Q daily; Ganirelix 1 PFS sub Q daily; Trigger: leuprolide, 40IU Sub Q once when directed plus 1 x 1,000IU of Novarel hCG; Azithromycin Two x 500mg for husband) Transfer: Estrace 1 x 2mg tablets up to 3x daily at times, Progesterone in Oil up to 2 ccs injected intramuscularly at times, Medrol 1 tab PO QD x 7 days; Two x 500mg Azithromycin) I can't say I remember what the rationale was for using this protocol, I assumed I just got 'the usual.' Results: retrieved 11 eggs, nine survived overnight, eight embryos survived after five days and four were free of genetic defects after PGS.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Felix)
Overall, very easy to get in touch with as I had several questions along the way. Email was best for me and them. Phone calls were fine, too, sometimes had to wait for a call back, obviously.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
I am currently 20 weeks pregnant from my one and only IVF transfer with RMA. Our issue was male factor infertility. We were lucky to get pregnant on the first try. I'd like to think that my opinion of the clinic is truly based on my experience there and not just that getting pregnant was relatively easy for us! I was a patient at RMA Downtown, a small, intimate office which was very convenient to my home and work. I was able to go in for morning check ups and I could be the first patient seen if I got there right before 7:30. I chose this clinic primarily for insurance reasons and proximity to home and work. My husband and I both felt they were very on top of our care. They have their systems in place, we felt they worked like a well oiled machine. They were up front about our out of pockets costs, which so far have proven accurate (though still waiting for all bills to come through). The doctor and coordinator were easy to get in touch with, though I tended to communicate with the coordinator directly most of the time. There are periods of intense communication and frequent visits and they all went smoothly. RMA is a very big operation and I did have to go to the midtown office several times for any weekend check ups, retrieval and transfer. Things were fine there though it's much more busy and less comfy as a patient. Overall, our experience was overwhelmingly positive and drama free, perhaps because it was brief and free of complications. However, should we decide to do another embryo transfer, I would certainly go back to RMA again.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
As mentioned, this office is small, I could be the first person seen if I got there by 7:15 (they open the doors at 7:30). Things ran quickly and smoothly. Never really got very crowded.
I had to pay 25% of care with insurance covering 75% (about $1,500 out of pocket). We also opted for PGS, $2,000 to RMA and $2,000 to laboratory. Caveat: I believe some insurance charges are still pending so...hopefully this is still true in a few months!
Treated 2016
Success w/ Doc 1 Egg Frozen
Dr Talebian was very caring and took extra time to talk to me and answer calls. She was not always there and not always the doctor on call to help me. It was hard to tell in my case because the results of the very expensive procedure were not what I wanted or had hoped for, so it was overall disappointing. She handled that well I think, though I never felt I had as much time as I wanted with her...
[RMA - Downtown is]...A bit like a factory. Very nice and smart, but often felt business-like and I often wondered if I was getting the BEST protocol and price for me, or if I was just one amongst dozens of women... overall it was professional and organized. They helped a lot with finances and structure...The nurses were all great and patient...it was just that they were ALWAYS different. Very caring, but inconsistent. They just all seemed very busy...
How was your experience with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
Push hard. They will whisk you through if you don't demand answers and work really hard to understand and push for the best treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
The folks at RMA were always kind, patient and considerate. They were also busy, efficient and tactical. I often felt rushed and like I couldn't ask all of my questions. The doctors always treated me like a human, but I always also felt that I wasn't getting complete information.
Describe the protocols Sheeva Talebian used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I started with the pill for 3 weeks, which was based on my low AMH numbers. Then I did a standard protocol for a long cycle (meds were very costly). I had 3 eggs we hoped to retrieve and we only got one.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Easy and pretty efficient...
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York.
$14k. They did give me a small discount to get started and they advised about med costs.
Sheeva Talebian

Treated 2015
She [Dr. Knopman] was great and made us feel very comfortable. When we had bad news she was honest and kind and gave her opinion of what she would do if she was in our position, which I appreciated. When she had good news she was as excited as we were... was very personable and genuine. I felt she treated me as if I were a good friend of hers and she truly wanted us to succeed.
The nurses [at RMA of New York] seemed nice but since I was not seeing the same nurse consistently they didn't have much of a connection to patients...when transferring embryos to our new clinic their embryologist didn't send paperwork for weeks which delayed our cycle. I basically called begging, what did I need to do to get her to send the single page delaying our cycle. Four weeks after she said she sent it, she finally did it.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
She was great and made us feel very comfortable. When we had bad news she was honest and kind and gave her opinion of what she would do if she was in our position, which I appreciated. When she had good news she was as excited as we were.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Similar to any fertility appointment I found that I often quickly forgot details after I left the office or hung up the phone. I learned to take notes during appointments, also to write down any questions in advance.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Dr. Knopman was very personable and genuine. I felt she treated me as if I were a good friend of hers and she truly wanted us to succeed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
The nurses seemed nice but since I was not seeing the same nurse consistently they didn't have much of a connection to patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The only pro I have of RMA downtown was it's convenient location and that we saw Dr. Knopman there. I disliked pretty much everything else. Their admin staff tried to tell us a $10,000 out of pocket test was required and our cycle was cancelled until we did it. Dr. Knopman had told us this was absolutely not the case since we had already done screening for tay sachs and we were not carriers. I had to get Dr. Knopman to step in. Nobody else would listen to me.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring during the week wasn't too bad. Usually in and out in an hour. On the weekends they warned us that if we weren't there right when we opened we wouldn't be seen for 5+ hours which I think is unacceptable. We always came super early on the weekends so we only waited about an hour and a half. It seems like if the wait gets that long why not have more staff on hand?
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York.
about $22,000 fully out of pocket
Describe Jaime Knopman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
She offered us the option to transfer two but said with my age being on the younger side she thought we would be fine to transfer one. We said we did not want twins and she respected that decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
At one point our patient coordinator insisted we were required to do a $10k out of pocket test or our cycle was cancelled. This was was absolutely not true and she refused to budge until Dr. Knopman herself stepped in. After that mishap which did delay our cycle RMA apologized and had our case transferred to a director but I was furious and feel this kind of mistake should have never happened. During our cycle I forgot where to administer the trigger shot and called the nurse line in the afternoon explaining I was supposed to trigger at 9pm and asked for a call back. I called again at 7pm and 8pm and never got a call back from anyone. In the morning I called only to learn I had done it in the wrong spot and they had me come in for blood work to see if I needed a "trigger booster." Luckily things were fine but it was so frustrating since it could have totally been avoided. Later when transferring embryos to our new clinic their embryologist didn't send paperwork for weeks which delayed our cycle. I basically called begging, what did I need to do to get her to send the single page delaying our cycle. Four weeks after she said she sent it, she finally did it.
Treated 2014 - 2015
Dr Talebian was completely professional, smart, compassionate, knowledgable, caring and very kind. My experience with her was EXCELLENT! I am currently about to start another IVF cycle for a second child and I tracked her down at her new clinic (CCRM) just to make sure she was my doctor again. I recommend her highly!!!...Dr Talebian was wonderful every step of the way! She always replied to every email and phone call with detailed answers to my questions. She was very approachable and made sure I understood everything. She was kind, generous, funny and always treated me with absolute respect.
This was a real pain at RMA! I had to go to Midtown Manhattan for certain procedures or on the weekends which was not as convenient and monitoring hours were only early in the morning and there were always tons of women waiting. At CCRM now, it's MUCH better. You can schedule monitoring any time!...IUIs were about $1000 each (plus the cost of sperm). The whole IVF cycle was about $15,000 plus $5k for genetic testing and $5k for meds.
How was your experience with Sheeva Talebian at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask anything! She is totally nonjudgmental and always responded to all my questions (some of which were kind of crazy!) with patience, compassion and clarity.
Honestly, I don't remember all the details. But she described everything well and I opted for the conservative choices and I paid extra expenses to try to maximize my potential success, including genetic testing and ICSI. My only regret (not her fault at all) is that I feel I spent too much time on IUIs and should have gone to IVF sooner. She had recommended this but was totally understanding of my choice not to.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Locations were good. I did not like that monitoring only was early in the morning
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Describe Sheeva Talebian's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
She highly recommended single embryo transfer because I did genetic testing on the embryos.
Sheeva Talebian

Treated 2015
Pregnancy did not result from my treatment with Dr. Knapman, which skews my response, but overall I thought she was fine. I wish she had considered factors such as diet, potential immune or lifestyle issues, or suggested supplementary treatment or investigation of the reason that my transfer of a seemingly healthy embryo did not work. Upon completing treatment with her, I have spoken to many other people who mention their doctors suggesting acupuncture, reaching an ideal weight, tracking basal body temperature to determine ideal transfer time, etc. There was very little discussion about any of those things - I was especially concerned with the timing of IUI because I was using frozen donor sperm which does not stay alive as long as fresh sperm, but she seemed to apply a formulaic approach. Overall, she was nice and seemed to know her stuff, and did a great job with the egg retrieval, but she did not deviate from standard Western medical procedures at all, and did not seem to take the nuanced approach that I've heard other friends describe their doctors taking. I am back to trying naturally for the time being, but will seek out a different doctor when my partner and I move on to fertility treatments again.
The finance department [at RMA] did not sufficiently explain costs, and moved ahead with treatment before receiving authorization for my treatment. Their communication and steps were so negligent that they ended up agreeing to cover some costs associated with my treatment and provide free sperm and embryo storage....Did treatments as a single mother by choice using donor sperm. Nurses frequently (at least 50%) of the time did not check my chart before coming in to see me and would give me instructions based on an assumption that I was in a heterosexual relationship (after the trigger, here's when you should have intercourse, etc.). This is pretty unacceptable considering that RMA prides itself on supporting same-sex couples and single mothers by choice.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
See multiple doctors before making your decision, and be sure to press her on questions you have related to your specific case. Ask how she plans to vary her treatment plans based on the particulars of your situation.
Describe the protocols Jaime Knopman used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Letrozole with HCG trigger shot for all six IUIs, transfer at 24 hours with frozen sperm samples. No pregnancies or positive pregnancy tests resulted. During IVF cycle, used a standard cocktail with a high dose of Menopur, Gonal-F, Pregnyl trigger, and Progesterone shots following the egg retrieval. Retrieved 5 eggs, 4 became 5-day blastocysts. We transferred one, it did not work. Froze the remaining three and have not yet done a frozen cycle.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
They were fine. Always a wait.
She prefers single embryo transfer which was fine with me. She explained her reasoning well and has been published on the matter.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
The finance department did not sufficiently explain costs, and moved ahead with treatment before receiving authorization for my treatment. Their communication and steps were so negligent that they ended up agreeing to cover some costs associated with my treatment and provide free sperm and embryo storage.

Treated 2020
Dr Sekhon was extremely warm, and in tune with my expectations and concerns.She always answered all of my questions in person as well as through emails. ... Dr Sekhon was extremely professional and explained the IUI process thoroughly during our ZOOM video visit. After getting the baseline Ultrasound she was able to explain further on how to proceed with our treatments( Clomid, Ovidrel ) She was always very kind and patient as I had a million questions, and which were always answered by Dr Sekhon. My husband and I completely trusted my care with Dr Sekhon as she was very thorough and explained in detail of our chances being pregnant. She is kind, compassionate, knowledgable, professional, and patient, something that we value. I would recommend Dr Sekhon to my friends/family in a heart beat. Absolutely no complaints!
Loved the Madison office, SOHO office was OK. The staff at both offices [RMA of New York] were professional, kind and always helpful. I arrived usually at my appt time and was seen within 5-10 minutes. Both offices were extremely clean, and always had nice music playing ... It was a pleasure to work with Connie! She was extremely kind, and always responded to my emails. She would call me with my lab results, and always answered all of my questions
How was your experience with Lucky Sekhon at RMA of New York?
Have a list of questions and be prepared to squeeze them during your visits
Only used Clomid, and Ovidrel for my treatment
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Connie)
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Loved the Madison office, SOHO office was OK. The staff at both offices were professional, kind and always helpful. I arrived usually at my appt time and was seen within 5-10 minutes. Both offices were extremely clean, and always had nice music playing
not sure! i believe my insurance covered it
none

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Kimberley A. Thornton is caring and kind. She answered all my questions and gave us suggestions for our treatments. She thought we had a good chance during our consultation. We had 2 IUIs and 4 IVFs with her for 10 months. My embryos didn't last until day 5 and I never had a transferred with total 50 eggs retrieved as RMA doesn't do day 3 transfer....Dr. Kimberley A. Thornton is sweet and she answered my emails usually within a day.
RMA is huge but each department is very organized. Monitor hours can be a bit crowded sometimes but it's good overall. The billing department is also helpful and responsive. The weakness is sometimes it's less customized but they're flexible in terms of operation schedule if you need to be out at a certain time....RMA doesn't do day 3 transfer....Nurses are always responsive and helpful....The billing department is nice to work with.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
Dr. Kimberley A. Thornton is caring and kind. She answered all my questions and gave us suggestions for our treatments. She thought we had a good chance during our consultation. We had 2 IUIs and 4 IVFs with her for 10 months. My embryos didn't last until day 5 and I never had a transferred with total 50 eggs retrieved as RMA doesn't do day 3 transfer. We tried differnt protocols for my IVFs but still no good news. I feel she is supportive and responsive. I wished we tranferred to another clinic sooner.
If you're going to RMA, I would find a more experienced doctor.
I had 4 cycles. 1st one we used antagonist protocol and Lupron flare protocol for rest of the cycles. I responded to better to Lupron flare and retrieved more eggs as well.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
Nurses are always responsive and helpful.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Monitoring hours are easy and efficient.
The billing department is nice to work with.
We also used ICsI for all cycles.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Stein addressed my questions and concerns, but I felt a bit that they were brushed away (perhaps to ease my concerns) in an unhelpful way when I would've preferred a more serious, detailed response. The exam itself was very quick and I felt unnecessary since I already had results from a previous doctor and he seemed too in a rush anyway....I would've appreciated a more thorough consultation. My case isn't a particularly complicated one, but I felt that I was brushed off rather than engaged for what my concerns were.
The clinic [RMA of NY] had good communication with me over e-mail so far. I appreciated that I could ask whatever questions I had and expect a timely answer. The e-mail point person switched several times within the last year, which could be confusing, but the clinic was consistent in following up with me.... I would've appreciated a more thorough consultation. My case isn't a particularly complicated one, but I felt that I was brushed off rather than engaged for what my concerns were.
How was your experience with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
I would've appreciated a more thorough consultation. My case isn't a particularly complicated one, but I felt that I was brushed off rather than engaged for what my concerns were. I also felt that my concerns were met with a don't-worry-about-it sort of response rather than answered more directly and thoroughly. I'm detailed oriented and felt that the response was a bit disconcerting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
To not be afraid to act direct questions and follow up if the answers aren't as thorough as you'd like them to be.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Daniel Stein at RMA of New York?
Describe the protocols Daniel Stein used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
I went in only for an initial consultation for possible egg freezing.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
The clinic had good communication with me over e-mail so far. I appreciated that I could ask whatever questions I had and expect a timely answer. The e-mail point person switched several times within the last year, which could be confusing, but the clinic was consistent in following up with me.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Daniel Stein at RMA of New York.
I encountered only the initial consultation, which was covered by my insurance.
NY - Downtown
You don't see him [Dr. Grifo] often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)... Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle
Strengths [of RMA NY]: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.... IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
How was your experience with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
You don't see him often during your treatment, but he's always happy to get on the phone with you to answer any questions. Thoughtful, informed, and open to collaboration (we tried a med recommendation I'd found in a recent study for PCOS patients that his team hadn't done before: it worked to get me to ovulate but unfortunately did not result in pregnancy.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid of being proactive: and be specific with questions to take advantage of his knowledge.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with James Grifo at RMA of New York?
Thoughtful discussion of my background, warm coupled with insight and knowledge. Conversational, but direct.
Describe the protocols James Grifo used in your cycles at RMA of New York and their degree of success.
Tried clomid + letrozole together for IUI cycle which first time resulted in dominant follicle and ovulation with trigger shot but did not result in pregnancy. Trying again next cycle did not produce a follicle, neither did just a higher dose of letrozole. Currently preparing for IVF
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of New York.
I know several of the nurses by name, they are super friendly and helpful, and responsive.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Strengths: talented team, ease in protocol. Weakness: all communication is mostly via phone, vs results + instruction via e-mail, sometimes harder to get everything straight. Biggest con is far east side location. But team is overall super helpful. Generally quick turnaround for monitoring, though I've waited there once up to an hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under James Grifo at RMA of New York.
IUI not covered: $2K. Monitoring and visits covered by insurance.
Describe James Grifo's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of New York.
James Grifo
Treated 2017 - 2018
I felt that Dr. Davis genuinely cared about us and wanted us to be successful just as much as we did... was incredibly informative from day 1 when we had our initial consultation. He thoroughly explained every detail of our options and helped us make informed decisions. He was very positive and always happy to see us. When we had our miscarriage Dr. Davis called and made the time to talk through the process and our options. We felt very comfortable with Dr. Davis and trusted that he had always our best interest.
[Monitoring appointments at RMA of New York were an] Efficient well oiled machine. No long wait times...Clean, efficient, and well equipped with what seemed like modern technology...Multiple locations within NYC which was helpful. No children allowed in waiting room which I appreciated...Nurses called back shortly after leaving a message at the front desk. Some were more compassionate than others. The coordinator assigned to us was great!
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Dr. Davis was incredibly informative from day 1 when we had our initial consultation. He thoroughly explained every detail of our options and helped us make informed decisions. He was very positive and always happy to see us. When we had our miscarriage Dr. Davis called and made the time to talk through the process and our options. We felt very comfortable with Dr. Davis and trusted that he had always our best interest.
Ask questions during your visits
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Clean, efficient, and well equipped with what seemed like modern technology. Waiting time in the mornings was not very long for monitoring. Multiple locations within NYC which was helpful. No children allowed in waiting room which I appreciated.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Efficient well oiled machine. No long wait times.
Dr. Davis felt strongly about transferring one embryo at a time. He felt that we were still young and did not have any real reason to transfer multiples. He always reminded us that multiples come with risks and we were not in a position to need to take on that risk just yet.
Treated 2016 - 2017
We had a very straightforward experience with Dr. Thornton- - a successful FET. Overall, she was competent and pragmatic about the whole process, which we appreciated. She clearly explained and outlined all procedures in a digestible manner. Furthermore, she was accessible and available to answer our questions... While she was not the doctor that performed my retrieval, she took the time to thoroughly review my history and review everything with me so she was completely up to speed when she took over my case.
RMA downtown is a well-oiled and efficient operation. They have access to the midtown lab and facility, but it's a smaller operation, which I preferred. The strengths are that you have access to a range of services and expertise, the same thing can be a weakness because at midtown, you are one among many. At the downtown practice, I felt more like a person than a case number.
How was your experience with Kimberley Thornton at RMA of New York?
She's a good RE, but I don't know how well she would handle complicated cases. Partly, that hesitation is because we didn't have a complicated case, but nevertheless, if I had an out of the box diagnosis, I might have gone elsewhere.
We had a straightforward eSET when we were trying for our second.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
We had copays and premiums for monitoring and procedures.
Strongly preferred eSET for us.
Treated 2016 - 2017
[Dr. Joseph Davis has an] Excellent bedside manner; takes time to really listen to what you have to say and your concerns; really cares about his patients; and does not 'know best', let's you make your own treatment decisions and fully supports them. Doctor of osteopathic medicine and incorporated eastern medicine (Chinese herbs, other supplements (CoQ-10, baby ASA), and acupuncture)- all important to me and my partner.
Too big- it's a reproductive mill!!...Previously stated what I think are his [Dr. Joseph Davis] strengths. Weaknesses: working in a reproductive clinic [RMA of New York] this large makes personalization of attention and treatment hard. He did not perform all of the IUI, IVF procedures which would have been preferred. Overall we were more satisfied with him than another female doctor that we had.
How was your experience with Joseph Davis at RMA of New York?
Previously stated what I think are his strengths. Weaknesses: working in a reproductive clinic this large makes personalization of attention and treatment hard. He did not perform all of the IUI, IVF procedures which would have been preferred. Overall we were more satisfied with him than another female doctor that we had.
Do your research, ask questions, and do not take the first suggestion as the oracle.
Agonist protocol, standard treatment for woman of my age.
Describe your experience with RMA of New York.
Too big- it's a reproductive mill!!
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Variable, but usually able to get in with little wait time or difficulty.
IVF per cycle ~$7 vs. IUI per cycle ~$300
At my age, multiple embryo transfer should be the standard, to increase the chances of success. I know it also increases chances of multiples, but that can be sorted out later down the road in my opnion.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of New York.
Nothing major, could happen anywhere. Definitely running very efficiently considering the size of the clinic/ volume of patients that they are seeing.

Treated 2014 - 2016
Dr Knopman is incredibly direct, but also caring and nurturing. She understood my background fully and made sure that we covered all our bases before moving to IVF. She explained everything thoroughly and made sure that I was fully aware of each stage, empowering me to be my own advocate for treatment as well as having her on my side...Dr Knopman is incredibly caring and easy to talk to. She is also very responsive so no matter how silly my question, she would answer it immediately with a bunch of information.
The nursing staff at RMA are amazing! They really care about the success of your cycle and always have a smile on their face. Lisa Nargi in particular is incredible!...Well oiled machine in the downtown office. I was usually in and out within 20-30 minutes. But Midtown is another story. Much longer wait times....RMA downtown is fresh and clean and fast! RMA midtown is a little different and the waiting times are quite long, especially on weekends. The facilities for egg retrieval and transfers are great.
How was your experience with Jaime Knopman at RMA of New York?
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Dr Knopman will answer them and will partner with you to find the best course of treatment.
Standard protocol IVF for both rounds of IVF, but adjusted medication for both cycles as my ovaries were slow to respond. Ended up having quite high doses of medication but helped increase the number of eggs and embryos that resulted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of New York. (Assigned nurse: Lisa Nargi)
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of New York.
Always advocated for eSET over multiple which I fully agreed with.