RMA of Pennsylvania

Genetic counseling: OfferedAcupuncture: OfferedMental health counseling: OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing is not offered: Not OfferedSelling medication: OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
1401 N. Cedar Crest Blvd
Allentown, PA 18104
(610)820-6888
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Pennsylvania to a friend?
Strongly recommend: 22Neutral: 6Don't recommend: 48.7
2 doctors
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The unfortunate situation of infertility is devastating and stressful for everyone dealing with it. Walking into Reproductive Medicines Associates of Pennsylvania (RMAPA) at Lehigh Valley is very comforting and relaxing. This is important as a patient because you do not want to walk into a stressful environment. As soon as you walk the waiting room is decorated very nicely and has the success stories and information about infertility. They have calming music playing which is nice and relaxing while waiting to go into a room. The receptionists always have a smile on their faces and greet you when you walk in. I would recommend RMAPA to anyone dealing with infertility because of the calming environment and the staff who is very friendly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ndeye-Aicha Gueye at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr. Gueye treated my husband and I like a human, not a number. She is constantly making eye contact with us and using our names in her sentences. She is very empathetic towards our unfortunate infertility situation. Dr. Gueye is always very optimistic but also realistic which makes me feel hopeful. My husband and I feel very comfortable talking with her. Whenever I have a question, I call her office and she either answers or whenever I leave a voicemail she gets back to me that same day. She is great to have as our reproductive endocrinology!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Tara Markovich)
The nurse I was assigned to, Tara, is a great communicator and is very empathetic. Whenever I have a question, she always calls me back the same day if I leave a voicemail. She is very understanding of our situation and I trust talking with her.
How was your experience with Ndeye-Aicha Gueye at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr. Gueye is an excellent shoulder to lean on during our infertility treatment process. From day one she has always been optimistic and empathetic towards our situation. After an ectopic pregnancy (prior to infertility treatments) my husband and I felt broken. We met Dr. Gueye a few months after that. We did three IUIs with her that all lead to negative pregnancy tests. Some people would give up on their RE but we did not lose hope with her. Our next step is IVF with Dr. Gueye and we believe in her and that this is the best decision for us. When we met with her for her to explain IVF, she explained everything thoroughly. Every question we had she had an answer. When talking to Dr. Gueye she is kind, thoughtful, and wants the best for her patients. She assured our time to have our miracle baby was coming. She is the calming voice my husband and I need during this time and I know she’s going to do everything she can to make our miracle come true!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ndeye-Aicha Gueye at RMA of Pennsylvania?
One piece of advice I would give to a prospective patient of Dr. Gueye would be don’t feel overwhelmed. I know that’s easier said than done in this situation, but Dr. Gueye will explain everything to you to your understanding. She is compassionate and not just a great RE, but a great person as well!
Describe the protocols Ndeye-Aicha Gueye used in your cycles at RMA of Pennsylvania and their degree of success.
My husband and I did three IUIs. We only did three because we were both physically and mentally exhausted with the results of being negative every time. Going into the third IUI, I was forming a cyst on my left ovary. That was also a factor in not continuing to a fourth IUI. On day three I would go into the office for an ultrasound. Days five-ten I took Clomid 50g. Day twelve I went in for another ultrasound to see if my follicles were ready. That night I had to inject Ovidrel prefilled syringe exactly twelve hours before my first IUI. The morning of day thirteen and fourteen, my husband and I would go into the office for the insemination. The night of day fifteen I would start my progesterone suppositories every morning and night during my two week wait. Two weeks after the IUI, I went in for a pregnancy blood test. Unfortunately all three of the IUIs came back negative. The IUIs were our first option in our journey since we have unexplained infertility. My right fallopian tube is absent due to my ectopic pregnancy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ndeye-Aicha Gueye at RMA of Pennsylvania.
In Pennsylvania, most insurances cover the diagnosis of infertility but not the procedures of infertility. Unfortunately, mine does not cover the procedures. We had to pay out of pocket for IUI (roughly between $700-$1,600) each cycle. My husband and I are still not sure how we will be able to afford IVF. Our financial worker from RMAPA is calling me in a few days to give us the total cost of how much IVF will cost. I would think roughly around $15,000? My husband and I unfortunately may have to push off IVF even though we would want to start it right away just because we cannot afford it.
Describe Ndeye-Aicha Gueye's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Pennsylvania.
My doctor didn't get into detail talking about this with my husband and I yet.
Ndeye-Aicha Gueye
Allentown
They [the nurses at RMA of PA] picked you up and cheered you on but also offered an ear to listen. The compassion and understanding they showed was beyond incredible... on the walls, were the trees of hope. Each year, baby feet are stamped on the tree to indicate the numbers of babies conceived. It gives you hope to see the babies created and helps you to push along when it seems impossible
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The office was relaxing and therapeutic, almost like a spa. The environment was private and and everything was in one location so you didn’t have to leave the building for labs or semen analysis. The staff greeted you with a smiling face and they were quick to point you in the right direction. Also on the walls, were the trees of hope. Each year, baby feet are stamped on the tree to indicate the numbers of babies conceived. It gives you hope to see the babies created and helps you to push along when it seems impossible
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I was allowed to cry and explain my feelings to my nurse; she would listen and boost me up. The entire office knew you when you walked in the door and greeted you with a smile. The office cheered you on and shared genuine emotions throughout the highs and lows of infertility
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: BJ)
The entire staff because family. They experienced the highs and lows of infertility. They picked you up and cheered you on but also offered an ear to listen. The compassion and understanding they showed was beyond incredible
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She was beyond thorough and understanding of our situation. She diagnosed my husbands infertility that was overlooked at the previous facility. She showed us statistics with and without different options. We even brought my daughter in to meet her and the staff after she was born and Dr. Schillings is down to earth and She was genuinely happy to hold and take pictures with her. She is a blessing to all she encounters
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Trust her. She is honest and sincere and you approach treatment with the same goal, a baby
Describe the protocols Wendy Schillings used in your cycles at RMA of Pennsylvania and their degree of success.
We used ivf with icsi. We were unable to do a day 5 transfer as the embryos needed an extra day to develop. We later did a frozen embryo transfer
Describe the costs associated with your care under Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania.
The cost was approximately $11,000 and meds were $3000-4000
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Every single one of the nursing staff [at RMA of PA-Allentown] was amazing!! I built strong relationships with some of them and they always had our best interest at heart. I felt like they were out biggest cheerleaders. So compassionate and supportive. I feel lucky to have had their care and support!.. All staff, including the front desk and nursing staff was always pleasant and kind. They always returned calls promptly and directed us where we needed to. We felt welcomed since the first phone to the last visit!!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
All staff members knew us by name and treated us very well. Our nurse and doctor staff was sympathetic and loving. I always felt cared for in the know.
Every single one of the nursing staff was amazing!! I built strong relationships with some of them and they always had our best interest at heart. I felt like they were out biggest cheerleaders. So compassionate and supportive. I feel lucky to have had their care and support!
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr. Schillings always kept us informed and never gave up on us. She always gave us our options and risks included with each procedure. She called us personally when there were any issues or sensitive subjects to cover. Dr. Schillings was the 1st of all doctors we seen that had answers for us and wanted to help us to get our miracle baby!
Trust her advice and be willing to do treatments you're not sure about.
She was always very precatious with our treatments since I responded well to medications. She never wanted to overstimulate, but gave us the best results possible.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Pennsylvania.
It was pretty convenient like a well oiled machine. Only a few times did I have to wait longer than 20 minutes when they were extra busy.
Insurance coverage with most visits were good. Our insurance coverage didn't allow IVF but they offered a Careshare program that guaranteed us a baby or our money back.
Allentown
Juanita [nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania] is amazing! She is very knowledgeable and she always get back to you in the same day.... I would totally recommend this clinic to anyone...She [Dr. Schillings] is knowledgeable and willing to work with the patient based on the patient needs. She heard my wishes when I said I did not wanted genetic testing, did not want to go straight to ivf and heard my wishes about requesting to increase clomid dose and she let me do only one IUI instead of two, because that is what I wanted...She always treated me with respect and seems very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
I had a great experience in this clinic so far. I am still working with them and hope I’ll get pregnant soon. I would totally recommend this clinic to anyone. Dr. Gueye is also amazing! She is so sweet and very caring! She is really good at what she does and has a lot of experience. She did one of my IUIs, she answered all my questions and called me to explain lab results. She is the most caring person and care so much about her patients.
She always treated me with respect and seems very knowledgeable
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Juanita)
Juanita is amazing! She is very knowledgeable and she always get back to you in the same day.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She is knowledgeable and willing to work with the patient based on the patient needs. She heard my wishes when I said I did not wanted genetic testing, did not want to go straight to ivf and heard my wishes about requesting to increase clomid dose and she let me do only one IUI instead of two, because that is what I wanted.
Make sure to read a lot about the topic and treatments and come prepared with questions. Make sure to ask when you want something done, e.g. dose increase of treatment, and she will work with you and make the patient wishes as long as it is an appropriate request.
Tried clomid and IUI 3 times with ovidrel trigger shot. Will be moving to gonal-f, ovidrel and IUI next cycle for at least 3 or 4 more trials prior to doing IVF. This is my request as the doctor offered IVF on the first visit but I want to try a few trials of IUI first and the Doctor was totally ok with that and she has been wonderful
I have insurance so only had to do copays of $50 for ultrasounds.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
When I started with them [RMA of PA] in 2015, I felt less like a number and more like a human. However, starting treatment again for my second child, in 2017-18 I feel as if they are so busy and aren’t as organized as they were before. There is some miscommunication and I receive different information between my dr and my nurse... The front desk is mostly very pleasant and organized. I have had no issues with them, and I love that the clinic is open for 365 monitoring. This is very helpful.
Male Factor, Other, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
When I started with them in 2015, I felt less like a number and more like a human. However, starting treatment again for my second child, in 2017-18 I feel as if they are so busy and aren’t as organized as they were before. There is some miscommunication and I receive different information between my dr and my nurse
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Tara)
I don’t feel like the nurse and sr schillings were on the same page. There was some confusion as to why I was told to use progesterone and I received different answers from both dr and nurse. I felt the nurse gave some attitude when asking multiple questions
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
We am very thankful for Wendy schillings as she helped us achieve pregnancy with our daughter. However, I do feel a little more like a number now. The last consultation appointment we had, I don’t feel like she really knew my case and wasn’t fully prepared for our appointment.
Make sure to come prepared with all questions you have and don’t leave u til you fully understand what your options are, because I feel like the dr will move too quickly through the appointment
My first Iui with her we used 50 clomid, days 3-7, monitored cycle day 12, trigger with ovidrel shot and Iui day 13/14. That failed, they increased my clomid to 100 , same protocol and we achieved pregnancy Years later, attempt for 2nd child we used 100 clomid, same protocol as mentioned above, failed. 2nd attempt at 2nd child - same protocol except added progesterone suppositories. Failed 3rd attempt at 2nd child - increase clomid to 150, everything else the same- failed. 4th attempt we used letrozole dosage 5, days 3-7, same protocol as above - fail. We used letrozole because they do not want to do anymore than 6 clomid cycles.
Describe Wendy Schillings's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Pennsylvania.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
I was made aware of all expenses before I started anything [at RMA of Pensylvania]...The only complication I ran into was that blood work and ultrasounds had to be done between 7 and 8:30 AM...Becky [nurse] was available by phone whenever I needed her...She always provides tons of info and if she needed to speak to Dr. Gueye first she would call me back ASAP for an update...Dr. Gueye spent extra time with me and my husband making sure every single question we had was answered.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, PCOS
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The only complication I ran into was that blood work and ultrasounds had to be done between 7 and 8:30 AM. I’m lucky that I could adjust my work schedule to accommodate, but I can see how not everyone would be able to do that.
Dr. Gueye spent extra time with me and my husband making sure every single question we had was answered. She let us know that some of our lifestyle choices may have led to our fertility problems but never made us feel judged. We got honestly and compassion rolled up into one package.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Becky)
Becky was available by phone whenever I needed her. I had to take progesterone at the beginning of my pregnancy and the red pill gave me a red discharge. She took multiple phone calls from me when I was worrying whether or not it was blood and never made me feel stupid for calling. She always provides tons of info and if she needed to speak to Dr. Gueye first she would call me back ASAP for an update.
How was your experience with Ndeye-Aicha Gueye at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I only met with Dr. Gueye on the first visit and once more while getting my ultrasounds during pregnancy. She was patient and kind and so excited when we succeeded. She made sure we knew that even if we didn’t see her, she was behind the scenes running the show. I never felt ignored and I always knew she was listening and had my best interests at heart.
Don’t be afraid to be honest about your lifestyle with her.
I started with metformin for PCOS and we added coq-10 for finished ovarian reserve. I also started synthesis for a slightly elevated TSH which I have continued through my pregnancy. We were getting ready to start clomid and an IUI cycle but I fell pregnant naturally first.
I didn’t end up doing a cycle but my blood work and ultrasounds cost me about $180 total. I was made aware of all expenses before I started anything.
It was only briefly discussed.
Ndeye-Aicha Gueye
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
The clinic's [RMA of PA-Allentown] strengths are how comfortable you feel. It is set up like a spa and everyone is extremely friendly. I felt a personal connection with one of the nurses and the front desk even referred me to a new gyno that I really love. The clinic is extremely fast in getting paperwork back to me. The only thing that I didn't love was how easy it was to get ahold of my nurse and the billing and finance department.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, Male Factor, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The clinic's strengths are how comfortable you feel. It is set up like a spa and everyone is extremely friendly. I felt a personal connection with one of the nurses and the front desk even referred me to a new gyno that I really love. The clinic is extremely fast in getting paperwork back to me. The only thing that I didn't love was how easy it was to get ahold of my nurse and the billing and finance department.
Dr. Schilling always remembered my name, scenario, and my wishes. She made me feel comfortable, especially during my procedure to remove endometriosis. She also took into account that I believed I had it, even though a previous doctor asked convinced I did not.
My nurse was BJ. She was excellent at communication and would call me as soon as any news came in.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr. Schillings made me feel comfortable from day one. She took my thoughts and feelings into account. I think the only weakness is that because IVF is more of the guaranteed pregnancy, she pushed for that earlier than I would have liked. It was also somewhat hard to schedule surgeries because she only does them one day a week. However, I was completely satisfied with her and would recommend her to friends and family.
Another doctor told me that I would know when I was ready for IVF and that I would just feel the timing was right. It took me a few months to get that feeling. I would suggest that she use this tactic and not push IVF or IUI until a patient is ready.
Multiple semen analysis and antibody testing done to determine why my husband's morphology and motility was so low. HSG to checked for blocked tubes. Laposcopy to Check for endometriosis and then surgery that same time to remove it when it was found. She suspected I had it based on my scenario and family history.
$150 for sperm analysis that we needed three of. $4000 for laparoscopy and HSG. $500 for genetic testing and counseling for each person $150 for each ultrasound. (I had three)
Not at this time. I will have questions in the near future.
Allentown
As with many other medical situations, we had to stay on top of our paperwork and test results. They [RMA of PA-Allentown] seemed to have trouble maintaining contact with my husband's urologist and getting testing results to them or from them. My advice would be to stay on top of your cycle, paperwork and testing so nothing gets overlooked. Ask a million questions, and ask them often.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The clinic overall was satisfactory. While we were unhappy with our advice after our failed IVF cycle, the process using the clinic was OK. As with many other medical situations, we had to stay on top of our paperwork and test results. They seemed to have trouble maintaining contact with my husband's urologist and getting testing results to them or from them. My advice would be to stay on top of your cycle, paperwork and testing so nothing gets overlooked. Ask a million questions, and ask them often.
Dr. Schillings was warm and polite. She answered a lot of questions and did not express impatience when we asked things multiple times. We could usually make an appointment to see her within 7-9 days of asking. The only time I felt a little more like an outcome variable, rather than a human, was when she pushed us to use egg donors for our second cycle, after our first failed.
I loved BJ, my nurse. She was organized, helpful, compassionate and very friendly. She knew I was a teacher and tried to call me when she knew I was available during the day. When we found out our IVF cycle failed, she called me a couple days later just to check in to see how we were doing.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr. Schillings handled our first IVF cycle. She was warm and answered all of our questions. When our IVF cycle failed (ended with 2 embryos that were not viable) she spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me walking me through what happened and possible reasons why it happened. She was compassionate and kind. Our problem moving forward was her immediate push into using egg donors, rather than doing another IVF cycle with donor sperm (as our infertility was diagnosed as a male factor problem). We are now using another doctor who does not recommend the path she pushed us toward. However, for a seemingly less complicated cycle than ours, I have some faith she would provide competent care.
Advocate for yourself. Ask lots of questions. Do lots of reading on your own.
Antagonist IVF Gonal F @ 300 Days 3 - 11 Low does HCG @ 20 Days 3 -11 Cetrotide full dose Days 7-11 Pregnyl Day 12 Retrieval Day 14 Eggs retrieved: 26 Eggs underwent ICSI: 21 Fertilized normally: 19 Embryos at day 6: 2 (both genetically not viable as per PGD testing) Steep drop-off in development or arresting after day 3 in 17 eggs fertilized normally
My experience was probably out of the ordinary at first because they implemented a new computer monitoring system my first day of morning monitoring. I was there from 6:30am to 8:30am due to computer glitches. The staff were apologetic, and it got better as the days went on and they got used to the new system. Morning monitoring begins at 7, but the doors open at 6:45. If you arrive before 6:45, and you should if you want to get to work on time, you wait in a single file line outside the door. Once inside you sign in, have your blood taken and wait until 7 for the staff to arrive to begin the ultrasounds. You might feel a little like 'cattle' but for the most part if you arrive early you won't spend more than 30 minutes there per morning. (Also the woman who draws blood there is GREAT).
Approximately $30,000
Strong preference and reference of best practice being 1 embryo transferred
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
As soon as I walk into the clinic [RMA of PA], I know I’m going to be taken care of with compassion. My nurse was always available and was super organized. She would call me and you could hear in her voice how compassionate she was. She has very loving responses and she felt like a big sister to me. Their whole team at RMA of PA were so aware of my feelings and emotions of not being able to conceive.
Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
When you walk into this clinic, it’s like a warm, loving house. You know that right away they understand what you are going through, and they are so quick to help you feel better about the future. I walk in and immediately there is someone to help you and attend to your needs. They are understanding, willing and amazing listeners.
She is such a supportive doctor. She really cares about every detail and she is a very personal doctor that I tell everything to. She builds a connection with each one of her patients, and isn’t afraid to tell you what you need to be told so that we can understand fully what is happening with my body. She is such a sweet doctor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Tara Marcovich)
As soon as I walk into the clinic, I know I’m going to be taken care of with compassion. My nurse was always available and was super organized. She would call me and you could hear in her voice how compassionate she was. She has very loving responses and she felt like a big sister to me. Their whole team at RMA of PA were so aware of my feelings and emotions of not being able to conceive.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She was very compassionate, and really took the time to listen to my concerns and questions. She covered everything and helped my husband and I understand fully what was going on and why things weren’t working correctly. She is very blunt and I admire that about her because it’s important that we really get down to the details so she can better assist us with our set backs. She made it a mission to talk to us every appointment, and always made sure I was feeling okay. She was so supportive and felt like a mother figure.
I would say, prepare to listen. She is very detailed and knows exactly what she is talking about. Prepare to get emotional because she is very straight forward, but that is something I appreciate.
She decided to an ultrasound immediately after I told her about my past history with period pains and long cycles. She found 3 cysts, and wanted to do surgery right away. She knew it was endometriosis and she ended up being right. She performed the surgery perfectly and really took her time to explain what was going on in my reproductive area after the surgery. Months after this surgery, she did another ultrasound to check if the cysts were completely gone.. and they were but she found hydrosalpinx in my right tube and she requested to do another surgery to remove it. She prescribed birth control to help thing my uterine lining to check for fibrosis, and during the surgery she found a non cancerous fibroids and removed it. She also removed the hydrosalpinx. After the surgeries she took her time and was very detailed and told me I have scar tissue around my ovaries, and she talked about what to do next and she decided we would have to do IVF. My heart broke because I knew how expensive it was going to be.
My first surgery was a laporscopic and it costed 3,000$. My second surgery for hydrosalpinx was around 3,000$ as well. My doctor also had me do a HSG which costed 600$. I never had to pay a co pay, my insurance was very good.
She told us we have a low chance of concieving on our own and that our only chance is IVF. She told me I had amazing eggs, and that I have great progesterone, except my uterus, ovaries and Fallopian tubes were the issue.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
My nurse, BJ, [at RMA of PA] is the one who made me feel like a number. When she called me, it was clear she hadn't read my chart. She would ask me insensitive questions which are obviously not helpful during such a trying time. My husband and I had to do IVF and she used to call me and explain IUI steps to me. I think I had to tell her on 3 separate occasions that we had to do IVF. Before our last transfer when we had only one embryo left, she called to ask me how many embryos I wanted to transfer. I feel like she needs to read patients charts and understand their situations before she calls. Her questions and behavior are unacceptable.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
I really like the woman who takes your blood in the morning. She was the most compassionate person there. There's also a great ultrasound tech named Nancy who I thought was fantastic. The rest of them need to learn to be a little more compassionate and aware of their patient's needs.
Dr. Schillings wasn't actually the one who made me feel like a number. Every time I spoke with her or met with her, she was nothing but nice and she actually had a way of speaking that made me feel at ease. She always knew what was going on with me even though we didn't see each other often. Also, after my two pregnancy losses, Wendy called me directly because she wanted to be the one to break the news and explain what happened next. My nurse, BJ, is the one who made me feel like a number. When she called me, it was clear she hadn't read my chart. She would ask me insensitive questions which are obviously not helpful during such a trying time. My husband and I had to do IVF and she used to call me and explain IUI steps to me. I think I had to tell her on 3 separate occasions that we had to do IVF. Before our last transfer when we had only one embryo left, she called to ask me how many embryos I wanted to transfer. I feel like she needs to read patients charts and understand their situations before she calls. Her questions and behavior are unacceptable.
BJ always used a friendly tone of voice but she probably didn't realize how insensitive she is. She asked us during our first few weeks about IUI when she shouldn't have know IVF was our only option. LOOK AT THE PATIENT CHART!! She also asked us how many embryos we wanted to transfer when we only had one. These may seem like little things to her but they are not to a patient. These things are totally unacceptable. She also wasn't always very responsive to requests and wasn't the best at answering questions clearly. She didn't give me enough information (like she never gave me actual lab results unless I pressed for them. She would say normal or borderline).
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I really like Wendy. I think she's an incredible doctor and I do believe she is a leader in her field. I always had great experiences with her and she put me at ease. Unfortunately I'm not willing to continue with her because the financial and nursing people at her facility bother me too much.
Make sure BJ is not your nurse.
She used an estrogen priming protocol. I had to start estrace on day 21 of my cycle leading into stimulation. I took Gonal-F (450 units) as well as low dose HCG and Cetrotide. I was a slow responder to this protocol. I had 5 eggs, 4 fertilized, and 2 made it past genetic screening. This protocol is used for women with signs of ovarian aging.
These were efficient. The woman taking blood and the ultrasound tech are fantastic.
I used insurance. For my retrieval and two transfers, it cost about $15k. The cash price is much higher than that.
RMA only does single embryo transfers as of 2017.
2012 - 2016
I would arrive 45 minutes early [to monitoring appointments at RMA of PA] so I would be seen right away so I could get to work on time. It was one of the most stressful parts of the fertility treatments... morning monitoring could get crazy busy...Staff was amazing! Involved in the community too! Wish the ivf transfers could have been done on site. Only IUIs were...I really feel like they tried to explain everything so that I would understand.
2012 - 2016
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Small- morning monitoring could get crazy busy Staff was amazing! Involved in the community too! Wish the ivf transfers could have been done on site. Only IUIs were. My husband even liked the nursing g staff. And he was super embarrassed to do his part.
I really feel like they tried to explain everything so that I would understand. Even after giving birth they would check in to see how the baby was doing.
All amazing, caring, friendly, felt like a family. Being discharged was bittersweet
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She is a straight shooter. She tells it like it is and is real with you. After the first meeting I was so down because of how honest and direct she was. But as we went through the process and we had the setbacks that she warned us of, I began to appreciate how she was in that first meeting.
It takes time. The likelihood of getting pregnant right away is slim, so be patient. So not take Dr. schillings directness as being cold or uncaring. She just wants to upfront and honest and not create a false hope. You begin to appreciate this more with each cycle you go through.
I know we changed hormone dosage often to get more eggs maturing at the same rate. We did a uterine scrap following a chemical pregnancy. We tried starting meds on day 2 to jumpstart things, I know I was on birth control at some point to help,
It was set morning hours. First cone first serve. I would arrive 45 minutes early so I would be seen right away so I could get to work on time. It was one of the most stressful parts of the fertility treatments
Ivf with all the bells and whistles was $18,500. My insurance covered the mess. Thank goodness.
Glad we did singles.
Allentown
Strengths would be great communication, friendliness and making you feel comfortable. We loved the tree of life that we got to stamp at our graduation day. One weakness would be is that sometimes they [RMA] take for granted what you may or may not know about the medications. I felt like I needed to watch videos about administering the IVf stim shots.... Morning monitoring hours were first come first serve basis but any concerns were still addressed .
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Strengths would be great communication, friendliness and making you feel comfortable. We loved the tree of life that we got to stamp at our graduation day. One weakness would be is that sometimes they take for granted what you may or may not know about the medications. I felt like I needed to watch videos about administering the IVf stim shots.
I felt like she knew me and our story and wanted to help us get that happy ending.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: BJ Witkus )
BJ was a great communicator, both with phone calls and emails. All the staff I saw while at RMA was great!
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She showed compassion and understanding. Made me feel relaxed and that I was going to hold my baby in my arms. The first time I met her, I cried in her office and she gave me a hug and took me under her wing. I was sad to graduate from her clinic.
Have trust in Wendy, she knows what she is doing.
We had planned to do 3 IUIs but after two failed we went right to IVF. Dr. Schillings did let us know that our chances for an IUI to work given my condition was slim but it was worth a shot for a less invasive method. She was happy to start IVF per my request after two attempts. We planned a fresh cycle but given my high leveles we went to a frozen transfer. Which was much easier on my body as she said it would be.
Morning monitoring hours were first come first serve basis but any concerns were still addressed . I never felt rushed out, even on weekends and holidays.
We had to pay for copays, medicine and additional services such as acupuncture, PGD tests etc.
Was happy she suggested just one after we did PGD testing.
2013 - 2016
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Strengths: Nursing staff, especially Christine... Weaknesses: Dr. Shillings. She's very unpleasant and a terrible communicator. The other element to this office that may not work for people is that their office is not large enough to accommodate major procedures. Therefore, aside from ultrasounds and IUIs, everything is done at the Basking Ridge, NJ office (about an hour from the RMA of PA office). However, I must say, that office is INCREDIBLE and had I know how amazing they were, I probably would have commuted an hour and just switched to their office completely know
2013 - 2016
2 IUI, 1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Strengths: Nursing staff, especially Christine! The receptionists are also incredibly nice and one of them went above and beyond for me one time and stayed after they closed so I could come and get a form I needed to take to another doctor office. Weaknesses: Dr. Shillings. She's very unpleasant and a terrible communicator. The other element to this office that may not work for people is that their office is not large enough to accommodate major procedures. Therefore, aside from ultrasounds and IUIs, everything is done at the Basking Ridge, NJ office (about an hour from the RMA of PA office). However, I must say, that office is INCREDIBLE and had I know how amazing they were, I probably would have commuted an hour and just switched to their office completely knowing my retrieval and transfers would have had to be there anyway.
I was a patient of RMA for three years and met with Wendy ONE time. She deflected us to her nurses or PAs (thankfully, anyway). After our first negative test after IVF we heard nothing from her, and similarly, heard nothing from her after our positive, either. Furthermore, when we saw her in the office lobby, she never said hello. It was as if she didn't even recognize us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Tara Markovich )
My nurse Tara was great. She always answered any questions I had and was very understanding when I wanted to clarification as to why a certain medication was being used, etc. The way the office communicates is a little inconvenient as you have to leave voicemails and call backs don't happen right away. They have their own e-mail system as well, so while you CAN e-mail your nurse from your personal e-mail, their replies go to their own network e-mail and you have to log into that to check the messages, which is very inconvenient, especially from a phone. I have to say that one of the nurses named Christine was BY FAR the best. She is a true asset to RMA and I would base a recommendation of why someone should go to RMA is because of Christine. Her main job is to take blood in the morning for monitoring, and she is a breath of fresh air in that place. She is SO sweet, welcoming, and kind.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Strengths: She has some impressive statistics and her protocols ARE somewhat better compared to other clinics I've researched. Her stats on her website are from 2013, however, so it's a little hard to determine what her current rates are based on the increased patient #'s she has. Weaknesses: No bedside manor, which I wouldn't mind so much, but her total lack of communication is really disheartening. After spending a small fortune at her practice, we met with her ONE time and from there never spoke to her again. She doesn't interact with patients in the lobby or hallway and lacks all concern for her patients' setbacks. After our failed fresh transfer I was so appalled that we heard nothing from her directly. We were instructed to make an appointment with her, and when I attempted to do that, she was booked out two months and my frozen cycle would have been starting sooner than a meeting with her.
1. Don't ever expect to see or talk to her after your consult. 2. Keep expectations very low for communication from her specifically.
I took Clomid before our IUI to produce follicles. I was on various injectable medications for my IVF cycle including: low dose HCG, Gonal-F, Ganirellix, and triggered with Pregnyl. For my frozen embryo transfer I was on Estrace (orally) and then Progesterone in oil injections and switched to suppositories of Endometrin after I hit 8 weeks.
This part of RMA runs VERY efficiently. Morning hours are 7 am to 8:30 am. You usually wait in a short line if you're arriving right at 7, sign in at the front desk on a numbered lined and you are taken back for bloodwork or ultrasounds in the order you signed in. Quick and easy. If I signed in first, I could get bloodwork and a ultrasound done by 7:10 am and be out the door to work.
IUI cycles were $750 each (not including medications) IVF was $14,500 for one fresh cycle (not including medications) 1 frozen embryo transfer was $3,500 (not including medications)
Allentown
[The nurses at RMA of Pennsylvania are] not super warm and fuzzy, but direct...Monitoring was 7-8:30. First one to sign in was seen first and so on. Very efficient. I never waited more than 15 minutes to be seen...Also, Christine (lab work) is a gem. She is the "warm fuzzy" and counselor of the practice and I love her for it...Dr. Schillings KNOWS her stuff and she is candid. I like candid. She isn't super warm and fuzzy, but she doesn't lack all bedside manner either. If you want success and not a cheerleader, this is where you go.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
This clinic is a quiet beast of success. DO YOUR RESEARCH. Go where you have the best chance. It's small, but mighty. Don't be wooed by the big guns who DO NOT perform as well. Also, Christine (lab work) is a gem. She is the "warm fuzzy" and counselor of the practice and I love her for it.
I appreciated the fact that Wendy sat with us from our very first meeting and took the time to hear our history, our plans/goals, and fears. I particularly was impressed that she called me personally after I miscarried on our first transfer; she recommended we proceed to a frozen transfer with our last remaining embryo rather than do another retrieval which I was ready to do (had a huge fear that the frozen wouldn't work and then we would have wasted more time while my eggs were "younger"). Any doctor could have "upsold" me to do another retrieval, but she provided me with data regarding frozen transfer success rates and really helped calm me down and feel like we were on the right path.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Juanita Kaness)
Again---not super warm and fuzzy, but direct. In this process, you need to be able to have someone tell it like it is, explain procedures, etc. It's emotional enough. You don't need someone sugarcoating anything in my opinion.
Go here.
I do not recall.
Not factoring in travel costs, roughly $12,000.
They prefer to transfer single embryos, but will transfer up to 2 at your request. We chose 2 initially.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
A lot of the problems that I ran into [at RMA of Pennsylvania], involved the weekend, and needing to speak to someone who was familiar with my case. They lack training here for first time stim injections and it can be extremely nerve wracking doing them yourself for the first time.Front desk staff- her name is Diane, and she is super friendly and always professional. She always has a huge smile on her face any time of the day and you can tell she gets to know your name because even before you sign in, she knows it's you! Always very welcoming and calming to see Diane.
Endometriosis, Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
I felt as if I was a number because of the sheer volume of patients she sees on a daily basis. She was very aware that we were not comfortable to go straight to IVF, and wanted to try less invasive procedures first, and said that she was sure Iuis would not work for us and kept pushing to go straight to IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: BJ Witkus)
BJ was great and prompt at returning calls and emails in a timely manner. I truly felt she was rooting for us! Super amazing phlebotomy department- her name is Christine and she is the best around!
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr Schillings is very knowledgeable and sees a wide variety of patients with all different infertility factors. She knows what she is talking about, but can certainly push a couple to pursue options outside of their comfort zone such as going straight to IVF.
To be your own advocate and speak up if you feel something is off. The clinic participates in studies yet they don't make them known to you, you have to speak up and ask multiple times to be included.
I did 2 cycles of chlomid, with an ovidrel trigger, followed by 2 Iuis. Both negative pregnancy tests, and the ovidrel trigger shot induced OHSS. During my IVF cycle, I was on lupron down regulator and birth control. Then my daily stims were gonal f 300 units , lupron, and low dose HCG. After 11 days, I was ready for egg retrieval and they retrieved 15 eggs. I was a freeze all because I was participating in a study and needed to be a freeze all cycle.
I think they need to extend monitoring 7am-9am for a full 2 hours.
IVF stim drugs all cost different depending on your protocol and how long you stim for. Our meds cost around 9,000, and the frozen embryo transfer cost around 4,000
2011 - 2013
RMAofPA was such a great place to receive treatment. The ambiance was relaxing. Each area had appropriate level of privacy. They had pictures of the successful pregnancies. Signs of hope were everywhere!... RMA provided financial counseling, which helped us sort through financial questions and potential costs.... Tara was the best nurse I ever worked with. She was extremely thorough. She responded quickly to all questions. She checked in frequently.
2011 - 2013
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Schillings spent time with both my husband and I, explaining all options. She was interested in us adding to our family, not just a positive pregnancy test to meet a statistic. She even spent time with us after having both children. We were extremely pleased with the care we were given.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
We did a lot of research before choosing a fertility dr. Dr. Schillings came highly recommended from a few of our friends. This first visit was extremely nerve wracking for us. Dr. Schillings immediately helped by opening with casual conversation. At no point did we feel we would not leave RMA without a pregnancy. She presented all of the information and risks, talked about multiple options and made she we left with everything we needed to make decisions. After we decided on the path forward, Dr. Schillings met with us to develop a schedule and we also saw her on most visits afterwards. She always answered our questions and gave us the play by play on progress. We were pregnant on the first IUI cycle with both children. She is extremely knowledgeable and I would highly recommend her to others!
Do some homework before your appointment so you feel prepared to talk through options. That will help in preventing that overwhelming feeling!
IUI was used in both pregnancies. I have PCOS and clomid was not effective. IUI was presented as the optimal choice to obtain pregnancy efficiently.
I am fortunate to have great insurance, so many costs were covered. RMA provided financial counseling, which helped us sort through financial questions and potential costs.
Allentown
It [RMA of PA-Allentown] is a very calming environment. Everyone is extremely nice and they all get to know you and someway all know each individual patients scenario. They are all very compassionate as well and are always making sure you are ok even if it is just checking out after a visit... ara is absolutely amazing. She is so sweet and always making sure that you are ok every step of the way.
Latino, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
It is a very calming environment. Everyone is extremely nice and they all get to know you and someway all know each individual patients scenario. They are all very compassionate as well and are always making sure you are ok even if it is just checking out after a visit
They are always calling to check on you and make sure you fully understand what is going on every step of the way
Tara is absolutely amazing. She is so sweet and always making sure that you are ok every step of the way.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She is very compassionate and understanding. She makes sure you are both on the same page every step of the way. She lets you know her own concerns with certain things as well as always wanting to know yours.
Take it all day by day and that she is always there to help.
She does all the testing possible before deciding the best course of action. She also does not make you do things over and over again if they clearly are not working she then moves onto the next step of the plan.
It was a decent span of time which was perfect to not have to take time off of work. I was able to wake up a little earlier on those days and still make it to work in time.
It is expensive in general to do fertility treatments but after doing some research they all seem to be similar to others.
I wanted to transfer multiple and she let me know her opinion and concerns but ultimately let me make my own final decision
Allentown
BJ [a nurse at RMA of PA-Allentown] has done a great job of coordinating our care. Our particular situation is complex and involves a TESE to obtain sperm, PGD, etc. and she has stayed on top of keeping us in the loop. I don’t like that the clinic usually doesn’t get back to us until 5pm usually, but that’s just the way they do things and it hasn’t really affected me much.... Egg retrieval was approximately $14,500. Transfer is around $4700 and PGD/PGS is $6500.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Good communication. The clinic is very nice, they make you feel the way you should be treated when you pay so much money out of pocket for care. I have not had any issues with RMA whatsoever since I began with them 2-3 month ago
I met with Dr. Schillings during the evening over a 45 minute consultation. She was SO thorough and very confident, which we needed. She asked us questions which we had never been asked before, which gave us hope about her approach.
BJ has done a great job of coordinating our care. Our particular situation is complex and involves a TESE to obtain sperm, PGD, etc. and she has stayed on top of keeping us in the loop. I don’t like that the clinic usually doesn’t get back to us until 5pm usually, but that’s just the way they do things and it hasn’t really affected me much.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr Schillings was very blunt with us about our prognosis and seemed confident. She was optimistic but not unrealistic and seemed to be confident in her solution to the issues we had when we went to previous clinics.
Ask as many questions as possible. I was unsure of some of her approaches to our treatment but when I asked why or how, she explained her thought process in detail so we were on board.
We have not yet begun treatment, however I do know that I will be using Follistim, Ganirelix and low dose HCG
RMA is significantly more expensive than our previous clinic. Egg retrieval was approximately $14,500. Transfer is around $4700 and PGD/PGS is $6500.
They have already advised us against multiple embryo transfer however we have not made it to that point in the process.
Allentown
They [the nursing staff at RMA of Pennsylvania] are very caring and informative. Response time is fast for test results and questions...The practice location and atmosphere is convenient and nice. Staff are professional and helpful. Thought there welcome packet and information was nice. The rooms and equipment were clean and up to date. They are open 365 days year and hours for testing are early enough to not interfere with work.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
I felt that she was open to hear my thoughts on treatment and helped to clarify information we researched. It was easy to make an appt with her and she utilized the whole appt time.
They are very caring and informative. Response time is fast for test results and questions.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She has been very informative and helpful throughout the process. We find her to be very realistic in which it is appreciate greatly. Her willingness to provide honest answers to questions really built our trust in her with our fertility care.
Be open to all forms of treatment and under your options as well as expectations.
Since I have PCOS, high hormone bc was used to minimize or reduce cysts. Provera was then used to help with getting a period. I'm already on 1000mg of metformin, so that stayed the same. I was prescribed Letrozole for 5 days during the IUI cycle and utilized trigger injection. IUI was done 2 consecutive says with followup testing for progesterone a week later and pregnancy test 2 weeks after the IUI.
Unsure of the cost. Each time cost would or could change or, we speak with billing personnel.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
The clinic [RMA of PA] seems to have a difficult time keeping he details of my history straight when we talk. It's all correct in their records, they just can't ever seem to remember at appointments who I am or what we've done or what my situation is (or even how old I am!). I wish they'd take a few minutes before they meet with me to review my chart so it would feel like they know who I am... The clinic staff have always been polite. Christine, however, takes the cake. She's the only reason the humiliation of constant blood work is bearable.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Unexplained
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
As I said previously, the clinic staff are courteous and for the most part efficient. Be nice to them, as they're the ones you'll be in the most contact with.
The clinic seems to have a difficult time keeping he details of my history straight when we talk. It's all correct in their records, they just can't ever seem to remember at appointments who I am or what we've done or what my situation is (or even how old I am!). I wish they'd take a few minutes before they meet with me to review my chart so it would feel like they know who I am.
Tara has always been kind, compassionate, and attentive on the phone; I have never met her in person. The clinic staff have always been polite. Christine, however, takes the cake. She's the only reason the humiliation of constant blood work is bearable. The easy, pleasant, early morning conversation with her is a much needed antidote to the emotional torture that is fertility treatment.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She seems to know what she's doing, but it feels like she's distracted by too many patients with different scenarios. I was told ahead of time that her demeanor was a little brusque; I actually did not find that to be true at all
Pay attention to everything they say, take notes, and don't be afraid to jump in and clarify or question if you feel something doesn't jive
My insurance covers ultrasounds and blood work. Copay costs have been reasonable, and IUI costs have been (I presume) reasonable so far
Allentown
Everything about RMAPA is great, from the front desk to the finance dept. Very well organized and the relaxing atmosphere when you walk in makes you feel less stressed. Every staff member that I've come in contact with has been pleasant and helpful in one way or another and I couldn't be more pleased...The nursing staff in general is fantastic, my nurse Bj was exceptional. She was very prompt and attentive to my needs and made my experience with RMA a great one.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Dr. Schillings took the time to explain things in detail and answered a multitude of questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Bobbie Jean Witkus)
The nursing staff in general is fantastic, my nurse Bj was exceptional. She was very prompt and attentive to my needs and made my experience with RMA a great one. I will most definitely refer family and friends if they ask.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She took every precaution and explained everything in great detail. I had an injury to my neck many years ago and before we proceeded she needed some additional testing on that to ensure I wouldn't be in any danger should I get pregnant. She was very compassionate towards my feelings and didn't make me feel like I was just a number. I couldn't be more happier to have a had treatment with Dr. Schillings. Even during my first cycle when things didn't go so well she was there to keep our spirits up and encouraged us to do one more cycle and it was worth it.
This process is a very difficult and challenging one, remember to lean on your support staff, husband, partner and family if you need to. Don't give up even when you feel defeated and always as questions if you're unsure.
Allentown
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality, Other
There are not enough good things I can say about BJ and all of the staff of RMA. They are compassionate and it is very evident how much they care about what they do. When I found out that I had my 4th miscarriage at my OB's office, I went straight to RMA and BJ welcomed me with open arms and empathy. She took me in and agreed to even help get me another ultrasound to confirm the miscarriage. There were several times throughout my care at RMA, that I was very anxious and would call BJ. She was never impatient with me but always took the time to answer my questions and help to ease my anxiety...
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Amazing staff - all are intelligent, caring and empathetic! Because they are a larger office, they offer a lot of services that other small offices are not able to.
Dr. Schillings and all of the staff of RMA remembered me and my husband by name each time I would come in for any type of visit. I was treated with respect and they always were patient with me.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Dr. Schillings always appeared very informative and although she would give the information to us straight, she had good bed-side manner.
Trust her and the RMA team.
The costs of RMA do seem to be a little bit more than at other nearby places such as the SHER institute, however I do feel it is worth it. I was fortunate that most of the services were covered under my insurance.
2011 - 2014
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Endometriosis, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids
Good hours. No flexibility. Hard to reach in a crisis. I spilled some meds on a Sunday and they [RMA of PA] sent me all over creation looking for a compounding pharmacy, when it turns out the stuff I needed comes premixed and you get it from a regular pharmacy. The pharmacist was more help than the clinic by far...The nurses provide most of the care, and they do their best to balance her [Dr. Schillings] out...A lot of the treatments and tests were done by a nurse practitioner
2011 - 2014
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Good hours. No flexibility. Hard to reach in a crisis. I spilled some meds on a Sunday and they sent me all over creation looking for a compounding pharmacy, when it turns out the stuff I needed comes premixed and you get it from a regular pharmacy. The pharmacist was more help than the clinic by far.
Wendy is cold and harsh. The nurses provide most of the care, and they do their best to balance her out. Wendy cares more about her statistics than patient wishes.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania.
A lot of the treatments and tests were done by a nurse practitioner, or was pretty good but seemed to like to make me feel like a stupid child. My nurse wasn't that smart and I had to explain things to her multiple times.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She doesn't listen. I feel a little bad complaining about her because I had a healthy twin pregnancy, but I felt like that was despite her and not because of her. The procedures are all done in New Jersey by other doctors in the practice so you actually see very little of her, yet she sits at her desk making decisions lik she's playing God about what your body is and isn't capable of. I am very glad I didn't listen to her about my eggs, and went with them anyway (she tried to convince me to use donor eggs which was way out of my price range.)
Be determined to get what you want/need.
Allentown
They’re [RMA of PA] clean and friendly. They’re always open. The try there best to remember you from visit to visit (receptionist). They have coffee and tea on the waiting room. They’re busy and sometimes behind because of it. Rooms look older and are cold . The scenery on the ceiling isn’t very therapeutic.... [Nurse] Empathetic and can thoroughly explain information. Second round of IUI she didn’t call for any updates / reminders on what to do.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
They’re clean and friendly. They’re always open. The try there best to remember you from visit to visit (receptionist). They have coffee and tea on the waiting room. They’re busy and sometimes behind because of it. Rooms look older and are cold . The scenery on the ceiling isn’t very therapeutic.
Felt like a human because she takes time to talk with you when you see her . A number at times due to how busy they’re and how they’re crunched with time to get all the morning monitoring and procedures done .
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Tara )
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She’s intelligent and to the point. She can come off as lacking empathy , but she just presents with a strong personality. She over all knows what she’s doing and talking about and wants to see success .
Go in with an open mind and heart.
Used clomid and the trigger shot & then did IUI two days in a row . We have male factor infertility , count and speed is fine, but morphology was a 0 & then a 1. 4 is the “norm”.
Copays and medication .
No comment
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
The nurses as RMAPA were personable and helped make the process a bit better. They were friendly and answered all my questions. Still don’t expect your hand to be held, the practice is not overly warm.... The clini has a high success rate and prefers FET transfers. If you are using insurance, it’s unfortunately important to make extra calls to the financial team. That department, at least in my case, were slow to submit information to my Insurance company despite multiple calls.
Other, Prefer not to answer
1 IVF, 1 Egg Freezing
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
RMAPA is a busy practice. Most times I felt rushed through. The nurses and doctors were nice, but don’t expect to feel cared for in a memorable way.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Juanita )
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I met Wendy once during treatment. Her bedside manner was mot what we expected. We felt like a number and the meeting was very cold. Yet, we decided to stick with the clinic because of the success rate. So far I’m happy we did, as everyone else we’ve encountered is much warmer.
Don’t expect to meet with her more than once or twice.
We were on an antagonist protocol for retrieval. I was not over stimulated and did not develop any complications or bad side effects as a result. We are currently going through our FET cycle. The clinic prefers FET cycles as the research shows a higher success rate.
Our clinic prefers to transfer one embryo at a time as it is less risky.
IVF, Donor Eggs
After our first nurse [at RMA of PA] resigned, we were transferred to the excellent Kelly Hill. Kelly is the "third party" nurse, and she works out of RMA NJ (so we never met her personally), but she was conscientious, and promptly returned all of our calls. I can't speak more highly about our experience with Kelly. She's fantastic...Our previous nurse failed to call us with results once or twice (She was out of the office often), but that stopped as soon as we got a new nurse...
European, East Asian, South Asian, Black or African-American
IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Schillings is warm, engaging, and knowledgable. She was honest about our likelihood of becoming pregnant without assistance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Kelly Hill)
After our first nurse resigned, we were transferred to the excellent Kelly Hill. Kelly is the "third party" nurse, and she works out of RMA NJ (so we never met her personally), but she was conscientious, and promptly returned all of our calls. I can't speak more highly about our experience with Kelly. She's fantastic.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
We came to Dr. Schillings after a number of negative experience with another fertility clinic. Upon meeting Dr. Schillings, I knew we had made the right choice in switching clinics. Dr. Schillings was honest about our fertility problems, but seemed hopeful that we would conceive with the right course of treatment. She and the RMA team remained dedicated to us (sending occasional cards and thank you notes, and showing kindness during our more difficult moments). After two donor embryo transfers (one ending in a chemical pregnancy), I am expecting my first child (due in September).
Dr. Schilling's had a strong preference for a single embryo transfer especially after the embryos had PGD testing.
Allentown
Very organized [at RMA of Pennsylvania], quick to get results back to you, easy morning monitoring hours...We went right to IVF after finding my husband had a low sperm count. First IVF was intended to be a fresh transfer but had to be changed to a freeze-all cycle as the blastocysts were too slow to be transferred on day 5. Did a frozen transfer on the next available cycle and got a viable pregnancy...Nursing staff was excellent. Spoke to my primary nurse nearly every day on the phone.
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Very organized, quick to get results back to you, easy morning monitoring hours.
Treatment by nurses was very personal and individualized. Dr. Schillings herself was not very responsive and definitely preferred that you communicate only with the nurses and not her directly
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
We are thrilled with the results after being treated by Dr. Schillings, but the Dr. herself has very limited contact with the patients - you deal almost exclusively with the nursing staff (who are great) - just don't expect a lot of interaction with Dr. Schillings.
Get to know your nursing staff - they will be your best friends
Monitoring hours were every morning. Convenient for me because I could go before work. The earlier you get there, the less of a wait.
approx $20K
We were encouraged to do a single transfer, which was a good decision for us
2012 - 2013
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
[RMA of PA-Allentown is a] Very relaxing environment. Always kept the patients moving when we would be there for blood work. Also came in early when my husband had to go to work so that we wouldn't miss a cycle. They really got to know you even if they weren't your primary nurse. Kept you informed at every step... Tara [a nurse] always answered and questions I had. She also would call as soon as she had results. She even remembered what number to call me at depending on if I was at work.
2012 - 2013
Endometriosis, PCOS, Tubal Blockage, Uterine Fibroids
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
She was very caring and listened to what I would say
Tara always answered and questions I had. She also would call as soon as she had results. She even remembered what number to call me at depending on if I was at work.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I loved her. She was so assuring during my time there. I have told anyone that has an issue to go to her. I have sent 6 couples to her. She walked me through every step and made sure I knew what to expect. After every negative result she would spend time to make sure I knew what happened.
Be patient
Used clomid to make sure I ovulated. Would check how many follicles were ready and then use progesterone shots. Then went in for IUI. Had my husbands speed washed and prepared. Did the IUI. Would start on progesterone capsules after IUI to hopefully keep the pregnancy.
2 IUI, IVF
Con [at RMA of Pennsylvania]- My husband hated the sperm donation process. Room wasn't hidden at all and you had to carry the sample to the desk. Pro- Staff was caring, good location that was clean, everyone returned calls and emails quickly...I started with Kayla [nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania] and then was transferred to a new nurse right before my embryo transfer. Both were caring, organized, and compassionate.
2 IUI, IVF
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Con- My husband hated the sperm donation process. Room wasn't hidden at all and you had to carry the sample to the desk. Pro- Staff was caring, good location that was clean, everyone returned calls and emails quickly.
Procedures were explained at length, successes were celebrated, and questions were always encouraged
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: Kayla )
I started with Kayla and then was transferred to a new nurse right before my embryo transfer. Both were caring, organized, and compassionate.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Communicated clearly and with tact. My case was not textbook and she took the time to consult with others for their opinions. I only saw her a few times but felt she was always behind my care and making the decisions.
Ask questions!
After 2 failed and 2 cancelled IUI at other clinics, doc felt IVF was our best chance. She said a freeze all resulted in fewer hyperstimulation cases and allowed my body to recover before transfer.
Approximately $25,000 for the egg retrieval and frozen transfer cycles
1 embryo was less likely to cause hyperstimulation as well as pregnancy complications.
2013 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Staff [at RMA of PA] was compassionate and supportive! Was there for me every step of the way!...Very clean and relaxing! A positive atmosphere and welcoming staff! Very organized and operates like a well oiled machine! Very knowledgeable and professional! Always helpful and efficient! They are great!...BJ [nurse] was so caring and supportive! I felt I could be honest and open about my fertility struggles. BJ listened to me and showed empathy for my experience! I’m so grateful to have had BJ in my fertility journey!
2013 - 2017
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Other
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
Staff was compassionate and supportive! Was there for me every step of the way!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Pennsylvania. (Assigned nurse: BJ )
BJ was so caring and supportive! I felt I could be honest and open about my fertility struggles. BJ listened to me and showed empathy for my experience! I’m so grateful to have had BJ in my fertility journey!
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
Extremely talented and knowledgeable in her field! Detail oriented and honest! I have spoken very highly of her and her success rate for IVF! I am blessed to have had such an amazing woman helping me through one of the most challenging times of my life!
Patience and faith in the process will get you to the blessing you always wanted!
Overall out of pocket $10k
Multiple embryo transfers can produce multiples and that is considered more high risk. A single embryo transfer is less likely to yield a singleton and more health for Mom and pregnancy.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
The office [RMA] was very clean, organized and calming. The staff was welcoming and knowledgeable about my care and followed up with me. I was there often and I felt like everyone knew me and was excited for me to succeed...They were expensive but worth every cent....They [nursing staff] were all wonderful....I was very happy with my care with Dr. Schillings. I had a tough diagnosis but she did not give up until she discovered the issue
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
The office was very clean, organized and calming. The staff was welcoming and knowledgeable about my care and followed up with me. I was there often and I felt like everyone knew me and was excited for me to succeed.
She spent time with me to try to figure out why I had two miscarriages.
They were all wonderful.
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
I was very happy with my care with Dr. Schillings. I had a tough diagnosis but she did not give up until she discovered the issue and now I have a beautiful almost one year old boy! I would definitely recommend her to my family and friends.
Don't give up!
I had a hysteroscopy to correct a septate uterus.
They were expensive but worth every cent.
Allentown
It was a spa like atmosphere [at RMA of PA]. Quite relaxing and the front desk staff were great. Know you by name...They were very friendly and caring. They definitely made the experience bearable...Just did the usual ultrasound and blood work. Then clomid 50 mg with IUI sperm donor. And same with 2nd with no success. Was told after best to do ivf...
Describe your experience with RMA of Pennsylvania.
It was a spa like atmosphere. Quite relaxing and the front desk staff were great. Know you by name
I only saw her for the initial consultation which made me feel very unimportant
How was your experience with Wendy Schillings at RMA of Pennsylvania?
She spoke about my options but did not give me a feeling of faith that it would work. She seemed to push ivf. And just the fact that I only saw her for the consultation did not feel cared for by her
If you're doing ivf she's probably the doctor that specializes but don't expect to see her or get that warm fuzzy feeling