Genetic counseling: Offered
215.922.1556
735 Fitzwatertown Rd.
Willow Grove, PA 19090
215.938.1515
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Philadelphia to a friend?

2015 - 2019
She [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] took time to explain the plan and seemed to truly care about our results...Overall I would say her methods are on the traditional/conservative side. While I appreciate her not pushing any products or treatments that don't have proven success rates, I do wish we would explore more out of the box options. Overall, I feel a sense of trust working with Dr. Gutman and feel like she truly cares about my outcome.
The RMA Nursing staff is amazing. They know their patients, listen, and really care. They are always available for questions and quick with responses...I received conflicting instructions for post retrieval meds after my first cycle...When I called in to get clarification, the nurse was even confused. Thankfully, I made friends with one of the nurse practitioners and was able to text her directly for clarification...We never had the option to transfer more than one embryo. However for our IUI with injections, Dr. Gutman was ok with proceeding with 3 or 4 mature follicles.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is very patient, caring and experienced. While you can tell she is very busy with many patients, the appointments never felt rushed. If questions aren't asked, she won't got into much detail. However when questions are asked, she will tell you what she is was thinking. Overall I would say her methods are on the traditional/conservative side. While I appreciate her not pushing any products or treatments that don't have proven success rates, I do wish we would explore more out of the box options. Overall, I feel a sense of trust working with Dr. Gutman and feel like she truly cares about my outcome.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you have a question, ask it. Don't assume. She doesn't give much detail if you don't ask for it. If you want to try something new, you need to start that conversation as well.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt treated like a human. She took time to explain the plan and seemed to truly care about our results.
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I have been through 2 IVF cycles with Dr. Gutman. The first cycle we used BC for a week prior to starting stims. We then followed the agonist protocol with an aggressive med list. We did 300 follistim iu and 75iu menopur for twelve nights. About a week into stims, we realized I wasn't responding to the meds as we would expect for someone my age. I was producing fewer eggs than normal. The word "cancel" was tossed around once or twice, however we went through with the retrieval. 8 follicles were retrieved, 6 were mature, 4 fertilized and made it to day 5, however only 1 was able to transferred. That round ended in a negative beta. We took a month off, and then started another round of stims. This time instead of BC, we primed with estrogen ( we thought the BC may have suppressed me too much). We then did the same agonist protocol with the same dosages. We stimmed another twelve nights and all monitoring appointments showed more follicles than the first round. However, retrieval yielded only 7 follicles, and none fertilized. We haven't done another IVF cycle since then. We have done 4 IUI's with follistim and follistim/clomid. The first IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The other three ended in negative betas. Each IUI showed at least 3 mature follicles.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: RMA truly wants the best for their patients. They are experienced and make you feel like a human, not a number. Weaknesses: They are busy, so if you don't have questions, they won't get into details. If you are questioning anything or everything, don't be afraid to ask and don't feel bad about it. It is their job to explain what is going on. One major downside to the clinic is the price. They don't offer any bundled packages and they need everything up front. IVF is EXPENSIVE and usually takes more than one try- it all adds up very quickly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Philadelphia.
Early morning monitoring appointments were hit or miss. Some days I would be in and out very quickly, other days I would be there for almost an hour. I would say they were usually on the quicker side for the most part, however there were still a handful of times that took way longer than needed. The days that did take long however, once I got into the monitoring room, I did not feel rushed out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance covered monitoring and bloodwork for IUI cycles. Nothing was covered for IVF. RMA prices are high and they don't offer any bundled packages which is the main reason I am holding back on moving forward with another cycle. If they offered better more affordable options, I would have started another retrieval already because I do feel comfortable and trust them. They did offer a tiny discount however with my next cycle being my third round, I was hoping for a deeper discount than offered.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.

Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment...Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Strengths and weaknesses Dr. Schlaff was knowledgeable, compassionate, warm, and direct. He made several small adjustments during my cycle that I truly believe made a difference in our outcome, such as delaying our retrieval by two days to allow for more follicles to mature (resulting in a couple more eggs being retrieved than would have otherwise) and also delaying our FET because I had fluid in my uterus. He adjusted medications to reduce the fluid down to almost none by transfer day. I found him to be an excellent communicator and felt from the beginning that no matter the outcome, we would have been satisfied that we gave it one last try under his care. I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Schlaff to anyone and can think of no weaknesses whatsoever.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do not hesitate to meet with him if you are thinking about undergoing fertility treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Prior to being treated by Dr. Schlaff, I was seen at a different clinic where I rarely saw or spoke with my main physician and was seen by different doctors, nurses, and ultrasound techs at each visit. I was seen at this prior clinic over the course of two years for 4 IUIs and 2 IVF cycles (none successful) and saw my original doctor a total of 3 times. This was my baseline experience with infertility treatment prior to deciding to switch clinics. From the very first time I met Dr. Schlaff, I knew my experience would be different. Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment. The emotional and mental aspect of our treatment was never addressed or considered at the prior clinic. Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Shannon)
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: small number of doctors at each practice location, so you see the same couple of doctors every time; monitoring ultrasounds are all performed by the physicians; continuity of care with both doctors and nurses; friendly and professional office staff; knowledgable financial coordinator Weaknesses: weekend monitoring at a different office was less convenient for me than the weekday office location I believe that the attentiveness of Dr. Schlaff and the other practitioners at the clinic made the all the difference in our successful outcome, especially since I went to his clinic years later than my prior clinic where I had multiple failed IUIs and IVF cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia.
self-pay: 18K for single IVF cycle with PGS and ERA biopsy, including meds, though some meds were covered by insurance
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Gutman[n] is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. ... Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her.
The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. ... They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket. ... I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. ...
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. The way she casually talks about the procedure puts you at ease and makes you realize that she has done this a hundred times and knows what she is doing. Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her. Once visit, I told her I was on my way to a baby shower and she said, "Well, if you need me to write you a doctor's note, I will absolutely do that." She understands how hard the journey is but doesn't dwell on it and always pushes forward.
Trust the process. She is not a terribly warm individual, especially when you first meet her, but that's because she is still evaluating what the absolute best options are for you. Every time you talk to her, you will be reminded as to why you are in her care. She's great if you like someone who is straight and to the point - no sugarcoating bad news. It might be a long treatment, but she will be invested the entire time and is open to suggestions if you feel as though you'd like to try a different treatment which I appreciated!
Not only Dr. Gutman, but her entire staff were gentle, but not so gentle that I felt they were incompetent. Dr. Gutman is so incredibly passionate about endocrinology and you can tell when you talk to her that she genuinely wants to see you succeed. I never once had to wait long for results and all of my questions were answered - they even didn't mind corresponding via email, which is my preferred method. They made sure I completely understood the entire process and the 'why' behind each step. They also were up front about the odds - no false promises about whether or not it would work. They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket.
After our initial consult, she scheduled me for an MRI of the pituitary, which showed a small tumor, meaning that I would very likely not respond to oral medications and advised we go straight to injectables. I began 75iu of Menopur for three days, then after my blood and ultrasound, continued for three more days. I was then bumped up to 150 iu after my estrogen was still &lt;100. I had bloods and ultrasound every 3 days throughout the entire process. I triggered with Ovidrel after day 14 of Menopur and my IUI was performed 32 hours later. I received my period prior to the pregnancy test. Our second IUI followed the same protocol, with 16 days of stims before trigger. This time, she started me at 75IU, but shortly bumped me back up to 150iu, as my estogren dropped after the first three injections. The second IUI resulted in a positive HCG test, but the level was 34 and quickly dropped to 6. I got my period shortly after. Our next IUI baseline is scheduled for this week and will likely follow the same protocol.
I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. Every time they sent results, it felt as though they were experiencing the same emotions as you, whether it was excitement or disappointment. None of the emails they send were carbon copied - they were all completely individualized and answered very quickly. I think the only weakness would be that they sometimes assume that patients have a lot of prior knowledge, so when we had our first IUI, I was not sure exactly what all the terms and medications they were talking about. Now I understand them though.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They have fantastic hours and multiple locations that all work together, so you can go to whichever one they have an appointment at. The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. They don't know how much medications will be, they don't know what your insurance company will cover - that is completely handled by the finance department, so they will often suggest procedures to you without mentioning the price. The staff is amazing otherwise and the clinic is clean and welcoming. It might be a while to get an initial consult but it is worth it!
The out of pocket IUI package was $1800 and included everything but medication for a full cycle. I paid an additional $1800 for Menopur and $200 for ovidrel. We have no insurance coverage for fertility treatments, monitoring or medication. Total was about $3300 per IUI. We completed two unsuccessful cycles and are beginning our third.
Not applicable for our treament

2015 - 2019
Some days I felt unimportant because he [Dr. Arthur Castelbaum] never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me...He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He [Dr. Castelbaum] never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage...My only complaint is that there were a few times (twice maybe?) they forgot to call in my medication. This problem was easily rectified by calling the after hours service. The on call doctor would call my prescriptions in for me. Aside from that, the nursing team was my rock. They encouraged me, cheered me on, and always took the extra time to explain everything to me. They have been phenomenal.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very smart man. He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask for more information when you need it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
It was kind of neutral. Some days I felt unimportant because he never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me.
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It’s very difficult to get in touch with the person you’re looking to talk to. You can’t call directly through to an office - you speak to someone who puts a message in to your office and then they call you back when they can. This isn’t convenient for my line of work because I can’t talk at certain times throughout the day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
The cost of an IUI cycle was approximately $1,000 and for an egg retrieval and transfer, it cost just over $10,000.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
I appreciate his conservative approach because the thought of carrying multiples worries me due to the increased health risks for myself and potential babies.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.

IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Castelbaum will answer emails the same day, often within a couple of hours, and once I could reach out that way I became very comfortable with care...Our situation was a really difficult and emotional one, but Dr. Castelbaum was really wonderful about being compassionate and giving us all the information and time we needed to make a decision we were comfortable with but that also gave us the best chance of having a child...
We were given about a 20% chance of success with our own eggs after testing, vs 60% with a donor [at RMA of Philadelphia]...Out of our 6 eggs, 3 became viable embryos...We've only done one single embryo transfer cycle, and are now 12 weeks along...She [nurse] was knowledgeable, and could always find an answer for me if she didn't know right away. She was also kind and compassionate...we consulted with another practice and RMA Philadelphia's pricing was much more reasonable. All pricing was done as packages.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
At first I was frustrated with communication, then we all realized they'd just switched over to a new email system. Dr. Castelbaum will answer emails the same day, often within a couple of hours, and once I could reach out that way I became very comfortable with care at RMA. Our situation was a really difficult and emotional one, but Dr. Castelbaum was really wonderful about being compassionate and giving us all the information and time we needed to make a decision we were comfortable with but that also gave us the best chance of having a child. Using an egg donor was a huge step, but once I was used to the idea, I was really glad we decided to do so. We got pregnant on our first cycle, currently 12 weeks.
Never be afraid to ask questions of Dr. C or of the nurses. They are happy to answer and you will feel more comfortable. They are all there to guide you through this process, and understanding what is going on and why helps a lot. There were many times when Dr. C supplied answers to questions I didn't even know to ask or before I could ask them.
Any time I had a concern or question, it was always answered within minutes, even when they were busy with morning testing. Everyone knew me by name and made sure I was comfortable. The front desk and nursing staff always made a point of making sure I didn't have to wait too long, and the doctors were great about answering questions and making me feel comfortable. I was never rushed into a decision.
We were given about a 20% chance of success with our own eggs after testing, vs 60% with a donor. As we were paying out of pocket, we knew we couldn't afford to try over and over, and we had to decide which was more important to us: the genetic relationship but with a much reduced chance of success, or having a much better chance of having a child with a donor egg. In retrospect, given the stress inherent in IVF with the hormone shots and whatnot, I'm really glad we went with a donor to limit all of that. Out of our 6 eggs, 3 became viable embryos, which is fantastic. We've only done one single embryo transfer cycle, and are now 12 weeks along.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Marianne)
She was knowledgeable, and could always find an answer for me if she didn't know right away. She was also kind and compassionate.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The only weakness is that it would have been helpful to have contact info (like email) spelled out clearly for a brand new patient. I wasn't sure when it was okay to email, when it wasn't (turned out, it pretty much always was). But otherwise, I saw three different doctors - Dr. Castelbaum most of the time for my appointments, though twice another doc, and then Dr. Gutman did both my mock transfer and actual transfer, since it's whoever is on duty when your body is ready to go. All were really great - Dr. C with information and helping guide our decision making process, Dr. G with calming down and reassuring a very very nervous patient at mock and real transfer!
I don't want to talk about exact numbers, but I will say that we consulted with another practice and RMA Philadelphia's pricing was much more reasonable. All pricing was done as packages. Since we were new to the process, we had a lot of questions, and the financing department understood the medical side of what was provided and were able to answer all of our questions.
Dr. Castelbaum strongly preferred SET given our circumstances.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological
The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful, they are very kind and compassionate individuals and if I have any questions they respond back very quickly via phone or email...Strengths are communication and compassion by each individual, weakness would be the distance because I travel 100 miles and price because they are more expensive than other clinics I have looked at or went to...I feel like she [Dr. Allison Lange] didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person...We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
When i first met with dr Lange she thoroughly reviewed my records from previous doctors and cycles and explained how we would approach treatment with her and what to expect. Once I went through an egg retrieval and then frozen transfer which resulted in a chemical, she recommended further testing as far as a miscarriage panel and ERA biopsy. I also recommended some further tests like natural killer cells and she agreed and wrote for it. Once we reviewed all results she took a different approach this time around which i am currently in the process of getting ready for a transfer. We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
You are in good hands with a genuine and kind hearted physician that truly cares about her patients and developes a plan that works for you and if you have any questions or recommendations in your care she will take it into consideration and help as much as possible.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt like a human because every time I had questions or concerns Dr Lange would personally reach out to me via phone or in person and explain in detail what was going on. She did not push the work off to a nurse or anyone else. I would ask her what she would do in certain circumstances and she would be honest and tell me what she felt she would do and why. She is very compassionate and recommended different tests that she thought we help me during my treatment. I feel like she didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Unfortunately I don’t have results yet because I am getting ready for another transfer which I discussed earlier the different protocols she is currently using in my care.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
Not sure
Describe Allison Lange's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
She recommended single but was willing to do multiple due to recurrent miscarriages but explained the risks
Allison Lange
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.

She [Dr. Gutmann] always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing...is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results.
Throughout both cycles [of IUI at RMA of Philadelphia] there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation...The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process... Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results. I felt very comfortable in her presence and confident in the treatment decisions that she made throughout my care. She understood how crazy the back and forth almost daily visits at times for monitoring could be and did her best to take my life/work schedule into consideration. I don't know that I could have had a better experience. She truly made this very stressful process go much smoother than I ever anticipated. I am blessed to have found such an amazing fertility Dr.
Dr. Gutmann is straight forward when it comes to describing your care, potential issues, all of your potential options. She doesn't sugar coat the facts, but she also lets you know she is here to help and fight with you through the entire process. My percentages for a successful pregnancy were extremely low and she was up front with that, but also had a thorough game plan in place to beat those odds. She is determined and very skilled at what she does.
Dr. Gutmann was always very warm and determined to help me achieve my dreams of becoming a mother. She is very straight forward and honest when answering questions, but always was there responding to my anxieties and helping me through this often stressful process. She always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing.
My first cycle began with Clomid and Ovedril leading to my IUI. My second cycle we used Letrozole to regulate my ovulation and Ovedril prior to the IUI. Throughout both cycles there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation.
The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process. They returned phone calls and emails promptly and were always following up to ensure that you had all medications needed and thoroughly understood your next steps. The team there works amazingly well together. I am sad to leave and transition back to my OBGYN for monitoring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
All of the staff at RMA is warm, friendly, and thorough. Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
With each visit I had a $30 copay. All other treatment was covered except the cost of my donor sperm. I had to pay out of pocket for two rounds of donor sperm which ran around $2000.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
I had unexplained infertility until our first consult with [Dr. Castelbaum]. As soon as he did an ultrasound he diagnosed me with Endometriosis and we made the decision to try IVF... He often talks about how enjoys his ongoing relationships with his patients, we are repeat customers over five years and despite our various journey with each transfer, Dr. C has guided us with the information we needed to make the best choice for us. He might appear too direct for some, but when you are making life decisions that are emotionally and financially taxing, you want truth, not someone pushing you in one direction or another, or providing a false sense of what might be.
All the doctors at RMA have their own way of showing compassion while also being realistic. I never felt like a number...they always were kind and efficient. Any time I called with a question, the nursing staff would be quick with a reply after they consulted with my doctor (depending on the issue)...All the doctors I have interacted with over the past five years have been knowledgeable, science driven, and compassionate. Of the two offices I used for appointments, both were mediocre with wait times for both blood work and ultrasounds because most women who want to fit in their appointment before work are all being "seen" at 7am...which is impossible.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
We've been using RMA and Dr. C since 2014 and if you are seeking fertility treatments, you are also seeking expertise, compassion, and facts. In total, we've completed one IUI, one egg retrieval procedure, and five frozen embryo transfers. We had two births, one miscarriage, one unsuccessful transfer, and are currently expecting our third. It's a rollercoaster and Dr. C has always been informative and never gives false hope. Our first transfer was successful, but after a failed transfer and a miscarriage, we regrouped with Dr. C to discuss options for the remaining embryos because it was getting expensive and emotionally taxing. Dr. C provided us with the research, facts, and risks with genetic testing the remaining embryos and ultimately left the decision up to us. After we decided to move forward with testing, Dr. C supported it and it resulted in another birth and we are currently pregnant. He often talks about how enjoys his ongoing relationships with his patients, we are repeat customers over five years and despite our various journey with each transfer, Dr. C has guided us with the information we needed to make the best choice for us. He might appear too direct for some, but when you are making life decisions that are emotionally and financially taxing, you want truth, not someone pushing you in one direction or another, or providing a false sense of what might be.
Dr. C is a mix of kindness, quirky, and direct. Don't be put off by his directness and appreciate the quirky.
I had unexplained infertility until our first consult with Dr. C. As soon as he did an ultrasound he diagnosed me with Endometriosis and we made the decision to try IVF. We proceeded with an egg stimulus process and egg retrieval. He suggested I wait one full cycle for my body to recover from the retrieval before doing our first transfer. Although I was excited to do our first transfer, I realized my body needed time to recuperate and heeded Dr. C's advice. A year after the birth of our son, we returned to RMA and the next two transfers were unsuccessful (one negative, one miscarriage) and Dr. C suggested genetic testing for the remaining embryos. We moved forward with genetic testing with resulted in two (out of the five remaining) viable embryos. The next transfer resulted in a successful pregnancy and birth. We returned to RMA this January to use our final remaining embryo. During my mock transfer, the doctor saw a fibroid in my uterus. Dr. C suggested I have it removed prior to our last embryo transfer, as he wanted to remove any risk of the transfer not working. Again, although I was excited to do our last transfer, we heeded his advice again, and are now pregnant with that embryo.
The nurses are who see prior to the doctor and they always were kind and efficient. Any time I called with a question, the nursing staff would be quick with a reply after they consulted with my doctor (depending on the issue).
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We were full pay out of pocket.
From the beginning, Dr. C advised against multiple embryo transfer because of the risks associated.

IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Gutman seems to be a no-nonsense doctor. While my partner and I have been having fertility problems she said our outlook is optimistic. I don’t think she would have said this if she didn’t believe it. We went to her for a second opinion and she discussed different ways she would change our current fertility regimen.... Having one failed IVF cycle Dr. Gutman stated that If I did more IVF treatment cycles she would add Menopur in addition to Follistim. Also, having had one chemical pregnancy she suggested doing a hysteroscopy and ERA testing.
RMA is a large clinic with multiple sites so they have a lot of the kinks worked out. It also did not take that long to get in to see Dr. Gutman.... Before my appointment I was told I would need to fill out history in an electronic form. I never received this and had to call the office multiple times to receive this form. Other than that, I really did not have much interaction with the nursing staff....At first, I felt like a human as Dr. Guttman greeted us in the waiting room. After taking us into her office she mostly went through her computer
IUI, IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman seems to be a no-nonsense doctor. While my partner and I have been having fertility problems she said our outlook is optimistic. I don’t think she would have said this if she didn’t believe it. We went to her for a second opinion and she discussed different ways she would change our current fertility regimen. This was helpful in that we were able to discuss these suggestions with our primary fertility doctor. Dr. Gutman also offered us the single best piece of advice we have received in our fertility journey. After 2 years, multiple IUIs, a cycle of IVF we were unsure of how to proceed on this journey. Dr. Gutman stated that whatever we decide we should be able to look back and be comfortable with the decisions we made. In this painstaking, emotional journey those words ring very true as we proceed in trying to make our family.
No non-sense, not the warmest person but very knowledgeable and willing to try different regimens.
At first, I felt like a human as Dr. Guttman greeted us in the waiting room. After taking us into her office she mostly went through her computer and reviewed the information we had already submitted online. She listened to our questions but I got the impression from her that “she’s heard it all”. I felt like she treated us somewhere between a number and a human.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is a large clinic with multiple sites so they have a lot of the kinks worked out. It also did not take that long to get in to see Dr. Gutman. Her demeanor is not warm and fuzzy but she did give us a good second opinion. I mentioned during my appointment that I had spoken with a clinical coordinator and was told I would be eligible to do a clinical trial for IVF. She told me I would not be eligible and her dismissal of it was a little brusk. As for the second opinion she told us what she would do differently in our IVF treatment. Specifically, she would start me on a higher dose or follistim and would add Menopur. Additionally, because I have had one chemical pregnancy in the past she suggested doing a hysteroscopy and possibly an ERA biopsy. She also stated that my partner and I should definitely do PGS testing with our next cycle. I did not get the warmest feeling from her but do feel as though she gave us a sound, honest opinion.
I thought I would be eligible for a clinical trial which would cut my expenses but Dr. Gutman quickly informed me that I would not be eligible. Other than that, they did set up an appointment for us to speak with the financial team which we have not followed up with because at this point we only went to Dr. Gutman for a second opinion.
She would elect for in the future doing PGS testing and then transfer one embryo. She said, ultimately it would be our decision on transferring one or two embryos.
+ Read more- Read less

[RMA of Philadelphia] felt like a factory- being moved through. The staff often seemed annoyed. They lost test results and did not provide results from a test they performed despite three requests. I’m not sure if the issue was just being disorganized or the personalities of the staff, but we had issues on so many occasions, we moved on to another clinic. The atmosphere was not warm or inviting.... Then lost bloodwork results we provided and tried to rerun tests. When I stoped then from trying to do this, they told me I would have to come back after they had a chance to review things.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt like Dr Castelbaum has a very high opinion of himself and his clinic. He spent a lot of time talking about how his clinic did well when inspected by the FDA. This seemed like a strange thing to talk about during our consult with some difficult news. I felt like he was pressuring us to use a donor egg without asking how we felt about it. He really dumped a lot of difficult information on us at once without much compassion. He suggested we have a cry and beer at home before coming back and talking with him again. If felt very strange and like we were taking up space in his office is we weren’t totally on board with his plan after 5 minutes of discussion. He was very blunt and said “you’re a complicated case” immediately after we entered the room. He prescribed Clomid and did not offer to monitor or follow up with me. I had a very bad drug reaction and spoke with a nurse who said she spoke with the doctor and told me there was nothing they could do and I should see my general doctor. When I called a week later seeking guidance after I got my period, I spoke with a nurse who said she would talk to the doctor and get bs m to me and they never did. I’m so glad we went elsewhere!
Don’t expect a great deal of compassion. He is very blunt.
I felt like I was in a processing plant. At first I thought I liked Dr Castelbaum, but then I realized I didn’t feel comfortable with his demeanor. I felt like the office staff and nurses were often upset about something and our presence or questions were annoying them.
He prescribed clomid but had me start on day 6, which another doctor confirmed didn’t do anything. I had terrible side effects (tingling in limbs and panic attacks) and they did nothing to help me or advise me after I called reporting the side effects.
The nurses lost the bloodwork results I provided twice. They then tried to redo some of the blood tests. I had to come back the next day because they wouldn’t look at the results I previously provided while I was there. They didn’t return am important call on one occasion. In general, I didn’t feel like they cared.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It felt like a factory- being moved through. The staff often seemed annoyed. They lost test results and did not provide results from a test they performed despite three requests. I’m not sure if the issue was just being disorganized or the personalities of the staff, but we had issues on so many occasions, we moved on to another clinic. The atmosphere was not warm or inviting.
The HSG test costs seemed high. Other costs were for office visits.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. ... He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case.
I don't see any weaknesses. It is an exemplary clinic and others should take note of how well it is run not only with efficiency but compassion and kindness as well. I would recommend RMA King of Prussia to anyone seeking ART. ... MA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples. ... The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness ...
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum genuinely cares about the patients he works with. He was warm, friendly, and funny when appropriate. He treated me and my partner with the utmost respect and dignity. He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case. I absolutely love being a patient of his and wish all doctors had the knowledge and kindness he freely displays.
Take him over any other doctor, he is truly one of a kind.
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is a wonderful man and doctor to work with.
We did a fairly aggressive antagonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur then Cetrotide. I responded extremely well to the protocol. At retrieval I had 25 eggs, with 23 being mature. 16 fertilized with ICSI and 8 embryos made it to day 5 for PGS biopsy and freezing. I did not respond well to the oral/vaginal estrogen, so we performed a mini-stim protocol for the FET. I did 10 days of follistim 75IU injections, with PIO starting a few days before transfer. Unfortunately the transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am hoping to generate more embryos before prepping for a new FET.
The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness. My husband was undergoing cancer treatment while I was going through IVF-FET and they always made sure to check in to see how he was doing. I loved everyone on the staff.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I had insurance coverage so the total cost of meds plus treatment was under $5000 total.
RMA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples.

2015 - 2019
These nurses [at RMA of Philadelphia] cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them... I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I honestly can't think of a single weakness when it comes to Dr. Castelbaum. He is knowledgeable, compassionate, thorough, and kind. No two people are the same and he knows that and it shows in how he interacts with each of his patients. My husband and I brought embryos with us to Dr. Castelbaum from another facility. He was up front in telling us that he wanted his embryologist to review them because every clinic has their own guidelines for freezing and storing embryos and he wouldn't know what we had until they could look at them for themselves. After the first transfer with him from those embryos it resulted in a successful pregnancy where I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Upon returning to the office two years later we did 4 additional transfers. The first 2 were with our remaining embryos we had brought with us from the other facility. From those, we had 1 early miscarriage (blighted ovum) and 1 chemical pregnancy. We then did another round of injections for egg retrieval. First transfer from this round was a chemical pregnancy. Second transfer was successful and I'm currently 10 weeks, 3 days pregnant and was discharged to my OB a week ago. It's so easy to blame doctors for a failed embryo transfer. My failed transfers were devastating to me; but I also remember how shocked and upset Dr. Castelbaum was for us. We did not do genetic testing although it was recommended to us to reduce the risk of miscarriage. Even though we chose not to, we were never judged for it. I almost gave up after the third failed transfer. Emotionally, I didn't know if I could keep going. Mentally, I knew I wasn't ready to give up. I'll never forget what Dr. Castelbaum said to me on my last appointment: "I know you were ready to jump ship and I understand why. But I'm so glad you didn't. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. I'm glad I got to be a part of this and am so happy for you." These words will stick with me the rest of my life and I still tear up thinking about it. I could never thank him enough for all he's done for me and my husband.
Please realize Doctors are human. They can't give guaranteed results and they aren't perfect. Dr. Castelbaum loves what he does and it shows. If you want someone that will give you the brutal truth, yet deliver it in a compassionate way and someone who will truly fight for you Dr. Castelbaum is the guy to see.
I have been to two different facilities. The first one was like a meat market; standing room only and unless you had some news worthy fertility problem, you never saw the physicians, you always saw a nurse or a PA. At RMA I saw a Physician every time I went, and I was made to feel important. If I had to wait, I never minded because I knew the wait was due to them wanting to give every patient the same respect, time, and quality appointment.
These nurses cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic is a reflection of those who work there. If you read my full review of the Doctors and staff, you'll agree this clinic is fantastic. I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
I had insurance coverage for almost all of my treatments.
Dr. Castelbaum is a strong believer in only transferring one embryo. I was hesitant to agree but after he gave us the facts, I understood why and I knew he had my best interest in mind.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. ... My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. ... We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more. ...
Mostly strengths with this clinic [RMA of Philadelphia]....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away. ... Melissa and Lindsay are top notch. If you call and they aren't available, you WILL get a call back on the same day. If you email, you WILL get a reply. They are super compassionate and are very invested in the care of their patients. Such sweet ladies!
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Tubal Blockage, Unexplained
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. His role was to help me get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust in what he believes...his experience in this process speaks volumes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt like a human. He is very down to earth and goes out of his way to speak directly with his patients, even on a a weekend.
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. I ended up with 6 5AA embryos, sent for PGS. After PGS we had 3 normal males and 2 mosaic males. We got pregnant on the first transfer of a 5AA PGS normal male.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa & Lindsay)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Mostly strengths with this clinic....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
We had insurance (at the time) with a $6500 deductible. The deductible was met quickly,.then 80 percent was covered. For a full cycle, including monitoring, recurrent loss blood panel, karyotype testing and PGS testing, we paid about $5000 out of pocket.
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
He believes in PGS testing with one common goal, which is helping each mom have a healthy pregnancy with a healthy baby. He doesn't transfer multiple embryos if PGS tested.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Gutmann answered all of my questions thoroughly. She is rather clinical about the diagnostic process as well as when she explained various intervention options. However, she clearly is competent and passionate.... The clinic [RMA of PA] has you complete a through form outlining your medical history and history trying to conceive. During my initial appointment with her, Dr. Gutmann reviewed my answers with me and asked follow up questions when needed. My husband had to participate by phone and she answered his questions as well as mine. She explained the benefit of getting a HSG completed. I ended up getting my HSG done by her a few weeks later.
The clinic [RMA of PA] has you complete a through form outlining your medical history and history trying to conceive. During my initial appointment with her, Dr. Gutmann reviewed my answers with me and asked follow up questions when needed.... I recall the first nurse who explained to me the blood tests that would be ordered was very kind and did a good job of explaining things.... You were able to do lab work through the clinic which was convenient. They told me someone would call to talk about finances, which was followed through on. I never had to wait long.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I saw Dr. Gutmann primarily for our diagnostic work up as we then moved out of state. The clinic has you complete a through form outlining your medical history and history trying to conceive. During my initial appointment with her, Dr. Gutmann reviewed my answers with me and asked follow up questions when needed. My husband had to participate by phone and she answered his questions as well as mine. She explained the benefit of getting a HSG completed. I ended up getting my HSG done by her a few weeks later. I was very nervous and found the procedure to be painful She was kind and compassionate throughout.
She will be direct and very scientific about what your chances are of conceiving.
I saw Dr. Gutmann for diagnostic workup.
As I saw this clinic for diagnostic, I didn't interact with the nurses very much nor was I in a position to be assigned a nurse. I recall the first nurse who explained to me the blood tests that would be ordered was very kind and did a good job of explaining things.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Again, I did not receive any intervention through this clinic. You were able to do lab work through the clinic which was convenient. They told me someone would call to talk about finances, which was followed through on. I never had to wait long.
My diagnostic tests were covered by my insurance.

Other, Unexplained
All the nurses [RMA of Philadelphia] were extremely compassionate and helpful. They always called when they said they would. They relayed any information from the doctor and if I had questions, they would get the answer from the doctor and call back. They would call to remind me of medicines I needed to take and explained every step of the process. They made the process more bearable....The weakness is the billing department. They incorrectly billed several times. When I called to explain that they incorrectly billed, they weren't very pleasant to deal with.
Other, Unexplained
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum was very positive and kept my spirits up during the low points of fertility treatments. He seemed confident that he would help get me pregnant and he did. There were some roadblocks that we had to get through but he always found the solution. He misdiagnosed me with unexplained infertility at first. During IVF, hydrosalpinx was found on my one fallopian tube. He quickly set up surgery to remove the tube and assured me that my chances of IVF success would be the same after my unilateral salpingectomy. Even though the diagnostic test missed the hydrosalpinx, I still felt confident with his care. It took longer than anticipated but the end result was a pregnancy. I'm currently 31 weeks and am forever grateful for his care.
Ask a lot of questions! He doesn't mind answering them
Dr. Castelbaum seemed to genuinely care and was always optimistic. He took the time to answer any questions me or my husband had. He thoroughly explained every step of the treatments he performed.
All the nurses were extremely compassionate and helpful. They always called when they said they would. They relayed any information from the doctor and if I had questions, they would get the answer from the doctor and call back. They would call to remind me of medicines I needed to take and explained every step of the process. They made the process more bearable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strengths are the doctors and nursing staff. The weakness is the billing department. They incorrectly billed several times. When I called to explain that they incorrectly billed, they weren't very pleasant to deal with.
With my insurance, IUIs we're covered. I paid a $40 copay each visit. And I paid for the medicine out of pocket. I don't recall the medicine prices. For IVF, we paid all out of pocket. We did the RMA assure plan which costs in total with meds about $30,000
He suggested one embryo transfer at a time because of my age.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
Communication [RMA of Phil] is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
We went to Dr. Freedman based on a recommendation. However, we barely saw him or spoke to him. He put us on some medications and supplements and then we had a retrieval 2 weeks later. Both our retrievals resulted in eggs but they didn't fertilize. However, after the second he said there is nothing he can do for us and we should look at adoption and/or donor eggs. I spoke with other doctors who said that it would take a minimum of three months for the metphormin and supplements to fully make an effect on my body which he didn't give a chance. When we went through the percentages in the beginning it wasn't until the third chance where we would reach a higher percentage chance. We weren't given a proper explanation when we were told this almost a week after our retrieval (the week was the worst). I believe the clinic is more concerned with their national success rates.
If you prescribe and recommend medication and supplements, give the patients a fair chance in allowing them to work. Also, provide better communication methods if you are not available have another doctor call. Do not leave hopeful patients waiting for over a week to get any answers.
we were in and out and although dr freedman and guttman knew us, the rest were nice but were like an assembly line.
VERY high dose shots of Gonal F/Follostim with Menopur and then a trigger shot (cetrocide).
Most of the nurses were nice. Jen though was only nice sometimes and not too personable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Communication is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not. ifeel that they should provide you with the same numbers each time and then when you are on another round, they should give you your previous to compare to versus us trying to keep track of it all.
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.

Dr. Gutmann and the staff have been great in communicating and answering questions. For our current treatment cycle she has agreed to do a mock Natural FET which is something she normally doesn't do but has agreed to let us try. She is willing to collaborate with us while giving us her professional recommendation.... She is very blunt and straightforward, but underneath there is a wicked sense of humor, which both my husband and I appreciate. Her personality fits well with us and we appreciate her ongoing collaboration in our treatment.
I like that the location [RMA of Phil] I go to is small. I see either the nurse practitioner or doctor every visit. Monitoring on weekends is convenient... For major procedures like egg retrieval, FET, etc we had to travel to the King of Prussia office but other than that all procedures were done locally.... [monitoring] was very smooth, they take patients for sonograms on a first come, first serve basis. Bloodwork can take a bit more time since it is done in the outpatient lab but is not usually too long of a wait. RMA patients are expedited in the outpatient center.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is very candid and thorough. She is very blunt and straightforward, but underneath there is a wicked sense of humor, which both my husband and I appreciate. Her personality fits well with us and we appreciate her ongoing collaboration in our treatment.
She is very thorough and knowledgeable. She is a straightshooter and is very clinical in her assessments. Some people not like or appreciate that, but I do.
We started with clomid and timed intercourse. I did not like clomid and the side effects that occurred with it and we quickly moved on to injectable meds with timed intercourse. She was very candid about her treatment plan and why she recommended moving on to IVF when she did.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa)
Melissa is the glue that holds the Mechanicsburg office together. She is extremely knowledgeable, compassionate, and caring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like that the location I go to is small. I see either the nurse practitioner or doctor every visit. Monitoring on weekends is convenient, I'm lucky to live 10 minutes from the office and hospital (where weekend monitoring appointments are). For major procedures like egg retrieval, FET, etc we had to travel to the King of Prussia office but other than that all procedures were done locally.
It was very smooth, they take patients for sonograms on a first come, first serve basis. Bloodwork can take a bit more time since it is done in the outpatient lab but is not usually too long of a wait. RMA patients are expedited in the outpatient center.
Our treatment leading up to IVF was covered under insurance. I appreciate that she did not recommend IUIs (which would not be covered under my insurance). Stating that they don't produce good outcomes and we would most likely end up needing IVF. Total cost of IVF cycle with medication cost approximately $16k
She prefers to transfer one embryo at a time due to the risks multiples create. I wanted to have a discussion about transferring two, which she happily obliged.
+ Read more- Read less

For such a personal process I consider Dr. Gutman and her team very impersonal and not very caring.... She sent most of her messages through her nurse. Spoke to me via phone one time because it was protocol. If the process was successful or unsuccessful. You still expect your doctor to show some tact and not be so cold. Dr. Gutman was very knowledgeable but very, very cold in her delivery of any news. I guess it makes it easier to give people info.
My nurse was very interested and seemed caring when it came to making sure t the paperwork was signed by me for the procedure. However, after that, I was bounced around from nurse to nurse which made the whole process seem to be very unorganized because I would have to explain myself over and over again to the new nurse.... The Hematologist at RMA Center City are fantastic. Caring, let you know exactly what was going to happen step by step.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
None supportive, None caring. She sent most of her messages through her nurse. Spoke to me via phone one time because it was protocol. If the process was successful or unsuccessful. You still expect your doctor to show some tact and not be so cold. Dr. Gutman was very knowledgeable but very, very cold in her delivery of any news. I guess it makes it easier to give people info. that way, but it's very weird none the less. Poor bedside manner overall.
Don't let them(the RMA Team) push you into purchasing medication right away so that you still have the option of getting out of there and finding another Doctor.
For such a personal process I consider Dr. Gutman and her team very impersonal and not very caring. When you first go to RMA the entire team, from the receptionist to the doctors to the finance team advises you, "We will take care of you"."Once you pay, you can come through anytime you want" However, it seems that as soon as you hand over your money, they forget you literally. A nurse is assigned to you when you go to RMA who is supposed to provide info. to Dr. Gutman about your case. However, everytime except for once when I have called I have spoken to a different nurse and every time they seem to somehow kinda conveniently forget that you are a patient. Dr. Gutman may know her medical stuff but, she seems to only want to deal one on one with patients when a check is involved. When there is not there is no follow-up, no explanation, and no support.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The Hematologist at RMA Center City are fantastic. Caring, let you know exactly what was going to happen step by step. The Hematologist at RMA King of Prussia are dry and seem not to be that interested in their patients.
I paid $16,000 for IVF treatment which was never received
+ Read more- Read less

I really like Dr Gutmann. She's present when I'm with her, I think she definitely considers me as an individual in my treatment, she answers my questions, she has a sense of humor, and she's empathetic. My only issue is it's hard to actually see her. An appointment takes a while to get if I want to talk to her/reassess. I usually end up seeing one of the other Drs on call when I go due to my cycle and the Drs schedules... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic [RMA] is clean...Really like the nursing staff here, they're all sweet. In the beginning I had some confusion- I guess they're used to people coming in for multiple cycles and knowing the routine, but at first I didn't know what the steps were and not everything was fully explained. Once I got used to the basic routine, it was fine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I feel like I did this a few questions ago... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc. I wish I could see her for all of my appointments for continuity, but I usually end up seeing a different Dr due to my cycle and the schedules of the Drs on call.
That FYI, you won't be dealing with just her, you get whichever Dr is in. Which isn't bad, they're all good. It would just be nice for continuity and questions.
I started out the first cycle without drugs because I got pregnant easily the first time. Second cycle I used Letrosol because there is supposedly a slightly lower risk of multiples than Clomid. Didn't like the side effects of Letrosol. Next 3 cycles with Clomid and Ovedril. 5 cycles total of IUI. About to start trying with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic is clean. I've brought my 4 year old daughter to most visits with me and they always welcome her and give her stickers.
$1200 per cycle for IUI, then additional cost of buying donor sperm online.
We haven't really dealt with this yet.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried....she may be a bit conservative in her approach....She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle... Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities [RMA- of Phila] are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run....There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions....I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is a wonderful physician. She is knowledgeable, compassionate, understanding and patient. She is very empathic. She always explained what to expect. If there were any complications or concerns, she would explain what they were and the best course of action. She didn't hesitate to ask her colleagues for their opinion in my care, when needed which I respect and consider a sign of confidence in her abilities. She doesn't allow pride to keep her from getting answers for her patients to obtain the best care possible for them.
Understanding that she may be a bit conservative in her approach.
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried. She's been encouraging without sugar coating the odds. She's always been honest.
She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle. A fibroid was found and surgery was advisedly. On repeat scope, another possible fibroid was found which wasn't clear and so an MRI was recommended and showed that there were two small fibroids which wouldn't interfere in pregnancy given their location. Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind. I did become pregnant with that first cycle
There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions. The other nurses were also responsive to my questions. I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run. Weaknesses- I can't think of any.
Last year, I had a different insurance which covered most of my expenses. However, this year, my insurance isn't willing to cover more than 1 IVF cycle and only if done before April 29th. So, I'm not sure of out of pocket costs
I completely agreed with her reasoning for single embryo transfer given the increased risk to me and any potential fetus with multiples. MFM agreed as well.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Castlebaum immediately suggested IVF after we had gotten pregnant with our most recent IVF. The manner in which he discussed it was very cavalier and detached. When we finally asked about IVF packages and what he suggested for our situation, his response was "I always like a money back plan, " as if we were purchasing material goods.... We tried 3 IUIs with progesterone as this had worked (though resulted in miscarriage) with our 4th IUI. On the final IUI ,I asked if there was anything else and he said we could perhaps try Follistim (no real explanation why).
We really felt like a number there [RMA of Phil]....Nurses provided basic information but didn't offer helpful suggestions or further explanation. Really just felt as though they read from a script.... We had a nurse call on our 2nd cycle to tell us to "come in for insemination " when it was never discussed or explained prior.... they seemed content to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
As stated before, RMA is fine if you have an easily fixable problem. Otherwise, RMA, and especially Castlebaum are content to just go through the motions and then immediately move to IVF when the typical treatments don't work. Our least personal experience was with Castlebaum.
Expect blunt information and insensitive jokes if you are sensitive . Do your research beforehand and have questions prepared. Question the statistics of treatments.
Dr. Castlebaum immediately suggested IVF after we had gotten pregnant with our most recent IVF. The manner in which he discussed it was very cavalier and detached. When we finally asked about IVF packages and what he suggested for our situation, his response was "I always like a money back plan, " as if we were purchasing material goods. This was a huge turnoff and a big reason for leaving RMA altogether.
Castlebaum basically told us to request what we wanted if we weren't going to do IVF. He did not think outside the box or offer alternate options. We tried 3 IUIs with progesterone as this had worked (though resulted in miscarriage) with our 4th IUI. On the final IUI ,I asked if there was anything else and he said we could perhaps try Follistim (no real explanation why). We also added Ovidrel, and he told us it was up to us which day we used it rather than monitoring and figuring out the most optimal time. All 3 IUIs resulted in negative tests.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
 We really felt like a number there. This is something we've realized more as time goes on, especially with our current RE who is so specific and personal. A strength would be that overall,RMA is very successful. However, this is only true if you have an easily fixable issue. Friends have gotten pregnant there within only a few cycles. But with us, they seemed content to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal. Everything seemed "scripted" in a way, without really trying to look for an issue and individualize our care.
Copays for office visits were $20.
No comment
+ Read more- Read less

I felt complete trust in her [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] and felt very respected and 100% included as the non-gestational partner (my wife carried our child). Dr. Gutmann made herself very available to us over email at any time. We had a difficult situation regarding a non-viable pregnancy through the course of our journey, and though Dr. Gutmann was aware early on that it would almost certainly end up as non-viable, she gave us the information but didn't pressure us at all in making our own decision as to how to proceed. She is very, very queer-competent, and was super respectful in her language. I could not be happier in our choice to work with her, and hope to do so again when the time is right to try for a sibling!
Overall, RMA does a great job of being extremely clear in all forms of communication, and they are great about letting you know exactly what is happening and what will happen next.The nursing staff was so supportive and seemed very up to date on our specific needs and situation each visit...Highly queer competent, they do a lot of outreach in the community...We used Letrozole to regularize ovulation, plus bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring to track the process of ovulation. Then, when the follicles looked good, we would use an HCG trigger shot to trigger ovulation, followed by an IUI. After the IUI we used progesterone suppositories.
European, Ashkenazi Jewish, Latino
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann was very clear, thorough, and extremely knowledgeable. She was instantly able to answer every question we asked with specifics. Was is a bit blunt and will absolutely "tell it like it is" but I felt complete trust in her and felt very respected and 100% included as the non-gestational partner (my wife carried our child). Dr. Gutmann made herself very available to us over email at any time. We had a difficult situation regarding a non-viable pregnancy through the course of our journey, and though Dr. Gutmann was aware early on that it would almost certainly end up as non-viable, she gave us the information but didn't pressure us at all in making our own decision as to how to proceed. She is very, very queer-competent, and was super respectful in her language. I could not be happier in our choice to work with her, and hope to do so again when the time is right to try for a sibling!
I would strongly advise people to work with her, particularly if you are queer or trans!
Dr. Gutmann was a godsend. She did a fantastic job of communicating with us throughout a very long and draining process. She was extremely responsive, including replying to emails outside of business hours, and answered all of our many detailed questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Highly queer competent, they do a lot of outreach in the community. We saw all the doctors in the practice at different times over the year we worked with RMA, and though Dr. Gutmann was in charge of our care and was our point of contact, we didn't have a problem with any of the other doctors on staff. Overall, RMA does a great job of being extremely clear in all forms of communication, and they are great about letting you know exactly what is happening and what will happen next.
Bloodwork only monitoring visits were free, ultrasound monitoring visits, IUIs, and longer personal meetings with Dr. Gutmann were a $35 copay.

Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable and up to date on latest research. I trust her medical advice but her communication is not good. She does not explain things in detail. For example, she just says "looks good". Other REs that I have seen in the same practice actually explain to you the ultrasound, what they see on the screen, not just "looks good"...Each person reacts differently to the medication and there are things that should change after reflecting or taking into account what worked and didn't work last cycle. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that this was being done. It felt like a one size fits all kind of approach.
They are very organized, follow the rules and try to have a good system in place. The rooms are always clean and waiting rooms are quiet. As a new patient, if you need hand holding see Dr. Freedman, he has great empathy and explains things well. If you want someone direct, data driven, and up to date on research see Dr. Castelbaum...Most nurses are great and feel for you. Some prefer to give you their advice instead of having the doctor call you about your concerns but if you ask to speak with the doctor they will do that. As with everything, make sure to stay on top of your treatment, ask questions and be clear about your steps because they will miss things and forget to tell you things.
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable and up to date on latest research. I trust her medical advice but her communication is not good. She does not explain things in detail. For example, she just says "looks good". Other REs that I have seen in the same practice actually explain to you the ultrasound, what they see on the screen, not just "looks good". It is important to know for yourself what is going on because how else will you be able to make a decision.
If you need hand holding find another doctor. If you go, you'll need to be a very strong advocate of your options.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They are very organized, follow the rules and try to have a good system in place. The rooms are always clean and waiting rooms are quiet. As a new patient, if you need hand holding see Dr. Freedman, he has great empathy and explains things well. If you want someone direct, data driven, and up to date on research see Dr. Castelbaum. Unfortunately, they work out of the other locations not center city.
Strong preference for eSET not multiple.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring...Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area....I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community...we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner...She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area. She helped us make a plan that fit our lives and was very honest with us. I appreciated this because I just wanted to know what to expect. I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
Be prepared to be told the absolute truth. If you're somebody that needs any potentially tough information given "sugar-coated," you may be surprised by Dr. Gutmann's blunt repsonses; just remember it comes from a caring and knowledgeable place.
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring. While going through a procedure, I was visibly uncomfortable, and she had amazing bedside manners. She ensured I was ok, and definitely tended to me until she knew I was comfortable again.
We are still in process with Dr. Gutmann and needed to have a change of course, so I don't have current specifics.
The nurses were all very efficient during appointments, which was appreciated when rushing to get bloodwork done in the morning before work! The nurses remember the patients and are usually very warm. When calling to talk to a nurse, they always respond quickly and have thorough answers.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community. Some weaknesses would be that every now and then, another doctor would do the vaginal ultrasounds, and they weren't as warm as Dr. Gutmann. Also, we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner when we made the decision to go from IUI to IVF. She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.

2014 - 2017
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque...Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test....RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque. I found this to be a positive about her personality - she never made the fertility treatments feel precious. Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor. I have no complaints - I wish she were my primary physician, too.
Don't be turned off by her brusque-ness! She's actually a really warm and caring person.
Dr. Gutman was always clear about what to expect from the fertility treatments - she has a positive outlook without ever giving me false hope. She also had an air of authority while still making me feel comfortable to ask questions. At my last consultation I asked her what I felt was a stupid question about cervical mucus and she answered me without a hint of condescension and said, "Don't hold back your questions until a consultation. If there is something worrying you, you can call anytime." Her dry sense of humor makes me laugh every time I see her, but I never feel like she is holding something back that I need to know. Most importantly​, I always feel like she is tailoring my treatment to my specific fertility and financial needs. This has never felt like a one-size-fits-all process with Dr. Gutman.
Dr. Gutman first worked with me to identify if I could ovulate normally on fertility drugs since my PCOS kept me from ovulating normally naturally. She proscribed me Letrozole (after explaining the risks, giving me literature about the risks, and having me sign a consent form​ for the drug). I took two 5mg tablets (I think) of Letrozole on cycle days 4-9. After coming in for monitoring it was clear that I responded well to the Letrozole, so we started IUI cycles thereafter. I've been through 4 IUI cycles so far. I start with Letrozole, I'm monitored throughout the cycle, I take a trigger shot of Ovidrel when I have mature follicles and come in for insemination ~36 hours later. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had a consultation with Dr. Gutman where we went over my body's responses to each cycle according to the monitoring. After reviewing each cycle she gave me multiple options for moving ahead which included more expensive and less expensive options - at no point did I feel pushed toward one option over another. I decided to continue with the Letrozole IUI cycles for the time being. We're still trying at the moment.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test. I love seeing the nurses when I arrive at the clinic. I was on a first-name basis with many of them after only a few appointments. I have felt less warmth from the nurses in King of Prussia, but that is not my normal clinic, so I don't feel like I can really speak to the atmosphere there.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs. It's highly inconvenient if you do not have a car.
$1200 per monitored IUI cycle

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Castelbaum] is very responsive by email... very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed... If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
The nurses and other staff in the surgery center [at RMA] are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day... They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed. He is very responsive by email, as are the nurses who work at RMA.
Don't shy away from asking questions, even if you are bumping up against the limits of knowledge in the field of Reproductive Endocrinology. If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
Dr. Castelbaum and the RMA staff are busy, but take the time to greet and talk with everyone. This is especially true in the surgery center--the nurses there are truly kind and caring. The office usually runs on time and seems to prioritize getting patients in and out of the office within a reasonable amount of time. If there is something you need, they will put you in touch with the right person to get your questions answered.
My first protocol was a typical antagonist protocol. It went worse than expected, given my age and other lab test results, but still yielded mature eggs that fertilized with ICSI. We decided to have another egg retrieval in order to bank more embryos prior to doing a transfer. Dr. Castelbaum recommended a micro flare protocol, which unfortunately yielded no mature eggs. We are trying again with another antagonist protocol.
The RMA nurses are excellent and very communicative. They are also very compassionate and take the time to get to know you as a patient. They are quick to respond to email and phone calls. In any case, it is still important to take the time to keep yourself organized when it comes to your medication supply and dates for upcoming cycles, and notify them quickly if you notice any problems or discrepancies.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA as a clinic is excellent. They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff. The nurses and other staff in the surgery center are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day.

2014 - 2017
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement.... To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey.
It [RMA of PA-Willow Grove] is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.... From start to finish they were incredible with the loss and the BFP they were a great source of comfort and compassion I cannot say enough about the staff.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement. After Tatum was born we sent Dr. Castlebaum a birth announcement he again called us to express his delight and tell us how adorable our son is. To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey. We had been to another place where all I can describe it as is being cattle herded we were literally just a number and a paycheck and with no fertility coverage that's not what you want. Dr. Castlebaum makes you feel like part of his family and when you're struggling to have a baby that is so important.
Ask him anything he loves questions and he loves to hatch the plan with you. He doesn't tell you what "his plan" is for you instead it's your collaboration.
I am in a same sex marriage and he listens to everything we have said along the way we even went to another doctor for Ivf and when we returned to him for my wife to get iui all he wanted to know was if we were successful at the other office. He's amazing and we will never seek care from anyone else again!
Iui twice with me using letrezol and hcg trigger shot one was positive pregnancy that ended in mc the other did not work. With my wife he did two iui no med assist and the first did not work the second did!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.
I believe the iui was 1,000 plus the cost of meds but I'm not 100% sure I took a new job and it did have coverage for iui so with my wife there were specialist copay so 40.00 each visit. The sperm cost 890 per vial and we have purchased a total of 9 and if costs between 250-400 to ship.
+ Read more- Read less

during the initial steps, Dr. Gutmann is very candid about the process and expectations of treatment. She will soften during the process. If you would to like to only see Dr. Gutmann, request appointments with Dr. Gutmann only when scheduling...After receiving my history from my previous doctors, Dr. Gutmann performed an ultrasound and HSG to decide which route to take, medication or injectionables. My disease had not progressed, therefore, I started with Clomid. Unfortunately, I developed Ovarian Hypersensitivity, and wasn't able to continue with the Clomid.
The nurse staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] was awesome. They called with my results with 4-6 hours. They were able to answer any questions that may have had. They even made small talk and made jokes to keep my spirits up during trying visits...They are warm and welcoming. They, also, clear if they cannot help you. Once Dr. Gutmann could help me any further with my disease, she referred me to someone else...After an MRI, Dr. Gutmann noticed my disease had began to progress very rapidly, and we decided the best course of action was surgical intervention. After the post-surgical/pre-fertility treatment MRI, my disease had progressed further, and I was referred to an oncologist. Dr. Gutman was apart of my team through my crisis.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Please visit question number one about being treated as human. My experience as a patient of hers was amazing. When she noticed my health taking a turn for the worse, she asked me to come in for weekly checkups, consulted with an oncologist, and worked with another clinical team to figure out how to help me get better.
Trying to understand that during the initial steps, Dr. Gutmann is very candid about the process and expectations of treatment. She will soften during the process. If you would to like to only see Dr. Gutmann, request appointments with Dr. Gutmann only when scheduling.
I work in the clinical field. Therefore, I expect doctors to be upfront about test results and expectations. Initially, Dr. Gutmann was upfront about expectations, especially after receiving previous my test results, and OP results. As time progressed, she soften, and became very encouraging. When she noticed my health taking a turn for the worse, she asked me to come in for weekly checkups, consulted with an oncologist, and worked with another clinical team to figure out how to help me get better.
After receiving my history from my previous doctors, Dr. Gutmann performed an ultrasound and HSG to decide which route to take, medication or injectionables. My disease had not progressed, therefore, I started with Clomid. Unfortunately, I developed Ovarian Hypersensitivity, and wasn't able to continue with the Clomid. We allowed my system to calm down for awhile. After an MRI, Dr. Gutmann noticed my disease had began to progress very rapidly, and we decided the best course of action was surgical intervention. After the post-surgical/pre-fertility treatment MRI, my disease had progressed further, and I was referred to an oncologist. Dr. Gutman was apart of my team through my crisis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
The nurse staff was awesome. They called with my results with 4-6 hours. They were able to answer any questions that may have had. They even made small talk and made jokes to keep my spirits up during trying visits.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic's strength is its desire health those who cannot procreate have a child. They are warm and welcoming. They, also, clear if they cannot help you. Once Dr. Gutmann could help me any further with my disease, she referred me to someone else.
Because Dr. Gutmann was treating both, my endometriosis, and fertility, my insurance was charged for each visit. My insurance didn't could IUI and IVF, though.
+ Read more- Read less

At RMA, you are not always treated by the same doctor, although Freedman generally "oversaw" each cycle. Still, he often forgot how many cycles we'd done or which procedures we'd done.... In person, Dr. Freedman is great, answers your questions, and is very calming. However, as questions started to arise, it began to feel as though more information should have been shared and more options discussed. The communication was really our biggest issue, as we never really understood why certain treatments were being administered or what more could have been done.
Nurses [RMA of Phil] were average. They didn't really provide any extra information and at times were even too sympathetic.... Billing was the biggest disaster at RMA. we received many bills for hundreds of dollars for procedures that were covered by insurance.... I would speak to someone in billing who would tell me they'd "write it off" ( not correct it), only to receive the same bill again. We ultimately left because the billing issues became so stressful.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do your research beforehand and have questions prepared.
At RMA, you are not always treated by the same doctor, although Freedman generally "oversaw" each cycle. Still, he often forgot how many cycles we'd done or which procedures we'd done. We never discussed IUI in detail at first but got the call to "come in for insemination." It felt like there was a lot missing in terms of communication.
We began with Clomid only for a cycle. With the 2nd cycle, IUI was proposed by a nurse over the phone without any explanation or prior conversation. This was alarming since this was our first RE and we had no idea what to expect. We did Letrozole only for the next cycle, then 4 IUIs with Letrozole. On the last IUI, Dr. Freedman added progesterone (without any explanation, but again we didn't know any better amd just went with it). We got pregnant with this last IUI, but miscarried at 7 weeks with an empty gestational sac. I had a D&C, then once my levels returned to normal, we decided to take a break from ttc. Eventually, we decided to go with a new RE who might be more aggressive.
Nurses were average. They didn't really provide any extra information and at times were even too sympathetic. By this I mean that they made us feel terrible coming in after our miscarriage because their demeanor was a little too "sad" rather than helping us to be optimistic (making sad faces, saying "I'm so sorry" repeatedly).
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We really felt like a number there. This is something we've realized more as time goes on, especially with our current RE who is so specific and personal. A strength would be that overall,RMA is very successful. However, this is only true if you have an easily fixable issue. Friends have gotten pregnant there within only a few cycles. But with us, they seemed to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal. Everything seemed "scripted" in a way, without really trying to look for an issue and individualize our care.
We paid a copay each time except for blood only. Billing was the biggest disaster at RMA. we received many bills for hundreds of dollars for procedures that were covered by insurance. I would speak to someone in billing who would tell me they'd "write it off" ( not correct it), only to receive the same bill again. We ultimately left because the billing issues became so stressful. In the end, I resorted to crying to billing personnel on the phone saying that I was forced to leave and figure out something with another clinic because we couldn't continue to accrue unnecessary charges if we weren't even seeing results. The woman's response was to offer a 3 way call with my insurance company to "figure something out." They refused to look into the issue. Later, we received more bills months after leaving... for my D&C no less, which was a painful reminder. Also the bills were in my husband's name this time, for "tramsvaginal ultrasounds." He called and they again "wrote it off."
No comment
+ Read more- Read less

The way that RMA of Philadelphia works is that, while you have one doctor overseeing your care, you are part of a practice with five locations in the area. The doctors switch locations every day...he nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia are the glue that holds the practice together. The nurses work very hard to answer your questions and address any concerns. Unfortunately, however, you are not assigned a primary nurse at this practice, so every phone call come be from a different person - often someone with no knowledge of your case and someone you have never met. This lack of continuity can be challenging
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We met wth Dr. Gutmann on a handful of occasions, although we rarely saw her for monitoring appointments or heard from her otherwise (all communication is through the nursing staff). Dr. Gutmann is an intelligent physician with exceptional training and expertise in the field. Unfortunately, she lacks a warm bedside manner. Her reaction to our miscarriages at the practices was robotic and jarring. Ultimately, we decided to switch practices because of this. As our case became more complicated, we needed someone with a more gentle touch and we wanted to have more contact with a single physician.
Dr. Guttman is a highly trained and experienced physician. She would be a good fit for couples or individuals trying to conceive who are interested in simply receiving clinical care and who do not need additional support.
The way that RMA of Philadelphia works is that, while you have one doctor overseeing your care, you are part of a practice with five locations in the area. The doctors switch locations every day. When I first I went to RMA at the beginning of 2016, there were 7 doctors. By the time we finally decided to switch practices 13 months later, 3 had left and there were only 4. Suffice it to say, 4 doctors cannot cover all 5 practice locations. As a result, you are seen by different doctors at each appointment, rarely see "your" doctor, often see a sonographer, and (in addition) you don't have an assigned nurse. I would receive updates on pregnancy monitoring and next steps by personnel I had never met at locations I had never been to. As a result, you feel like you are part of a machine instead of like a human being.
We did Clomid + IUI cylcles with Dr. Gutmann and one Clomid alone cycle. Neither the dosage was ever changed nor was the protocol. Our result was multiple miscarriages and we ultimately switched practices and doctors after searching for a second opinion.
The nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia are the glue that holds the practice together. The nurses work very hard to answer your questions and address any concerns. Unfortunately, however, you are not assigned a primary nurse at this practice, so every phone call come be from a different person - often someone with no knowledge of your case and someone you have never met. This lack of continuity can be challenging as you relay your story and details over and over to new people. In our case, multiple clerical errors occurred, such as a blood test once being "lost." I don't blame the nurses, as I believe they are working very hard. But there is clearly a lack of cohesion at this practice that I believe would be improved by assigning patients to a single nurse or team who can keep track of details in a single place.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strengths of RMA of Philadelphia include multiple locations across the Philadelphia area, weekend hours at their King of Prussia location, and a strong and devoted nursing staff. Weaknesses include not seeing your physician regularly, seeing sonographers for monitoring appointments, and not having an assigned nurse to oversee your care.
We incurred few costs with this practice as IUI was covered under our insurance. We did pay out pocket for medications, but these were inexpensive.

Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success...Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
They [nurses at RMA] literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support...They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
My husband and I went through over two years of fertility treatment before welcoming our daughter. This included an IUI cycle that resulted in the premature birth and loss of a son at 22 weeks of pregnancy, three ectopic pregnancies during subsequent monitored and/or IUI cycles, removal of my Fallopian tubes, and one cycle of IVF. Through it all, Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success.
Don't be afraid to take notes. You will have questions, and Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
Dr. Gutmann individualized treatment each cycle. Each time we failed, she would call - no matter the time of day or the day of the week - to review what had happened and plan next steps. She was sympathetic and helped us maintain a positive attitude through some very difficult losses. She never once made us think she she didn't believe we'd ultimately find success.
For my IUI cycles, I took 5 mg of Femara on days 4-8 and was monitored via bloodwork and ultrasound before IUI. For my IVF cycle, I underwent an antagonist protocol with follistim and menopur before freezing my embryos and surgically removing my tubes. My FET cycle involved orsl and vaginal estrace, as well as baby aspirin, estrogen patches, and eventually both progesterone in oil injections and Crinone. Adjustments were made after each monitoring appointment as we went.
The nurses at RMA are excellent! They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice. They literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Treatment at RMA is flexible and individualized. They open early at 7 am each morning for monitoring, and will readily call back even if you try to get in touch after hours or on weekends. They're open 365 days per year and will work with you to design treatment plans that cater to your specific situation.
Monitoring innthe mornings was well-run. Rarely would I wait more than 15 minutes, and rarely were patients overscheduled, but if I required and early-morning appointment they were always able to squeeze me in during a convenient time. The clinic strikes a great balance between giving patients their time and making sure everyone is seen.
The clinic offers various treatment package, including a shared-risk program for IVF. For us, we were lucky that insurance covered most of our testing and procedures. We only paid co-pays and coinsurance.
Due to my age and history of pregnancy loss due to cervical insufficiency, Dr. Gutmann and I both agreed to transfer only one embryo at a time.

2 IUI, IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
We have been through a lot of ups and downs in Dr. Nguyen's care. On the compassion scale she gets a 10 out of 10 every time. I have needed to seek outside resources to better explain protocols at times, but she does a great job of explaining the basics and nurse consults have always filled in the gaps. She is not one to push for excessive testing when not called for, but does listen and supports patients needs. She is a very scrupulous and skilled provider...
[RMA of Phila - Mechburg] Strengths- small, well managed, concerned about the level of patient care and taking steps to improve patient education over the year and a half I have been there. Weaknesses- have to travel for Egg retrieval and Embryo transfer procedures (although not exceedingly far, but turnpike closed for first Embryo transfer and had to fill my bladder twice! 120oz's over the course of 2hrs!). Sometimes miscommunications happen in the Pinnaclehealth system when testing needs to be done on weekends at Harrisburg hospital, or at outpatient testing clinic in the Fredrickson building during weekday monitoring. Communications seems to have also improved since I first started with Dr. Nguyen, and was not really the fault of RMA...
2 IUI, IVF
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't hesitate to ask questions. They will get answered one way or another in her office. You're in good hands so relax:)
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
My "chemical pregnancy" during IUI was actually presumed ectopic and my "miscarriage" from a PGS IVF fresh cycle was unfortunately a termination for medical reason at 21weeks. We received a non-compatible with life fetal diagnosis at our 19 week anatomy scan. I wasn't sure how best to mark this loss on the survey.... My daughter could have survived to full term, but had a prognosis of living for only a few minutes to days at most after birth. Even though I was no longer in Dr. Nguyen's care at the time in my pregnancy, she called me the day after diagnosis as soon as she was informed by Maternal Fetal medicine. My regular OB has not demonstrated the same level of compassion and care that Dr. Nguyen has consistently given me and my husband as we have struggled with infertility and pregnancy loss. It is a small office. Dr. Nguyen is efficient, but always makes sure if she does not have the time to answer your questions at a monitoring appointment, a nurse will follow up before you leave. She has gone out of her way to schedule consults for us when needed and they have always been within a week of our initial request. She and her staff are a big reason my husband and I felt comfortable continuing with FET cycles after the devastating loss of our daughter and why we have not given up on having a biological child altogether.
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Monitoring hours - 7am to 9am, M-Fri STAT blood drawn at onsite clinic, transitioning toward in office blood draws. (I'm a tough blood draw so very happy to go to seasoned phlebotomists;) Weekend monitoring done at Harrisburg Hospital and only time you will have an ultrasound performed by non-RMA staff (between 7am-9:30am) Bloodwork results and medication adjustments provided same day by nursing staff (usually between 2:30 to 3:30). Dr Nguyen will generally call with initial Beta results or if complications occur. IUI 1 & 2- Day 3 baseline u/s & E2, LH & Prog. bloodwork, clomid (can't remember when started, probably Day 2 or 3). Monitoring Day 9 (or perhaps earlier) thru LH surge, Ovidrel trigger night before IUI. Semen sample taken to office 45 minutes prior to IUI procedure for processing. Private room available for men if traveling a distance for procedure. Done during monitoring hours in a relaxing room. Beta hCG, E2 and Progesterone levels tested 9DPO. If positive, Beta and hormone levels taken every two to three day at least twice more. If normal- U/S follow up week 5 or 6 through 9 when referred back to OB. If abnormal- options for termination discussed or consulted through miscarriage. If negative, IUI 2 Beta was positive, but slow rising and indicative of possible ectopic implantation. In addition to Beta monitoring, had a diagnostic transvaginal u/s at 6 weeks, however Beta levels were too low to confirm place of implantation, tubes appeared normal. Pregnancy was terminated with Methotrexate injection and Beta was followed to 0. Liver panel and CBC was monitored prior to and after in office injection by nurse. IVF- estrogen primer protocol for low responders selected due to maternal age and unexplained infertility history (just turned 38 that month). Counseled to have PGS testing also due to age and hx-- Select CCS (Comprehensive Chromosome Screening). Monitored cycle prior to Stims to start estrace a week or two before Day 1. Day 2 AM u/s & bloodwork (E2/LH/Prog./FSH?)/PM first dose Gonal f & low dose hCG subcutaneous injections. Monitoring continued every other day to daily with medication adjustments, cetrotide added sometime around day 7-9 to suppress ovulation, hCG injection trigger 2 nights prior to retrieval with bloodwork monitoring the following AM to confirm it was administered properly. Egg Retrieval and Embryo transfer procedures are preformed at the King of Prussia surgical center NE of Philadelphia (1.5 hr from Harrisburg). ER scheduled generally before 9 am. Given a report of egg count post procedure after anesthesia recovery. Restart estrace (vaginally), start steriod, antibiotic, and crinone (progesterone vaginal gel). Fresh embryo transfer scheduled for same time as ER on Day6 (if embryos make it to blastocyst stage by Day 5 and test euploid). Given report by embryology Day1, Day3 and Day5. Reports- 21 eggs retrieved, 17 fertilized normally by Day1, 10 Day3 with normal cleavage, 3 Day5 blastocyst tested- 1 euploid, 2 Day6 blastocyst tested, both euploid and frozen. Day6 fresh transfer (It's a girl!) (No anesthesia necessary, but have to drink 50-60oz water starting 1.5 hour prior to procedure. Very uncomfortable!) Beta follow up was normal. Embryo measured normal week6Day0 u/s. Heartbeat detected in week 7 Day 0 u/s. Continued monitoring through week9 and referred back to OB. Was told to follow up with NT scan and amniocentesis, but no further genetic screening was necessary due to PGS. We ignored Dr. Nguyen's advice and did not have an NT scan done between 12-14 weeks, thinking we had it covered on the genetic defect front and I was eating well/taking prenatals so not overly concerned about NTD. Unfortunately at our week 19 anatomy scan our daughter was diagnosed with Exencephaly a fatal NTD. Amniocentesis results indicated that karyotype was also normal. It was a "fluke" developmental defect. Follow your RE's advice, get the NT scan. FET cycles- Dr. Nguyen allowed me the choice of having a synthetic or natural cycle (with estrogen primer control of ovulation or without estrogen) I opted both cycles for the greater predictability of synthetic cycle. Estrace started orally Day2 in the PM after AM u/s and bloodwork- taken AM & PM, dose upped then taken back down at ovulation. Progesterone in oil intramuscular shots started evening of ovulation (1/2cc) as well as steroid (7days). Progesterone upped to 1cc until Beta and continued to 10 weeks is positive. Both cycles failed so I discontinued PIO and estrace day of Beta. Have consulted with Dr. Nguyen on next possible steps- Another stim cycle with either same estrogen primer protocol or a lupron microflare with PGS-- both are low responder protocols. My AMH has dropped from 2015 (2.27) to this September (1.32). Egg quality is a major concern, but Dr. Nguyen believes I will have a similar outcome to my first IVF cycle. Genetic screening protocols are changing in their lab, so we will not have the option for fresh cycle transfer, but will have both chromosome and karyotype testing performed for frozen transfer. She is also willing to perform an endo/scratch the cycle prior to our next transfer because we have had two implantation failures with euploid embryos. We may choose to have further immunological testing done prior to our next cycle due to our multiple losses (a blighted ovum- spontaneous conception, a presumed ectopic with IUI and our daughter's NTD, also euploid), and am in the process of looking into reproductive immunologists to work in consult with Dr. Nguyen. We are still unsure if we how far we will pursue further testing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Z)
Melissa, Stephanie and the other staff at RMA Central PA (Landy, Jamie and new hire Kristy) are very professional and compassionate. Melissa is the only other staff member who will perform ultrasounds. She handles medication protocols and will go the extra mile to make sure you understand medication changes and administration. Steph is extremely organized, knowledgeable and a calm reassuring presence. They have helped me tremendously through two terminations, and are always improving customer care so that visits are efficient but I never leave without feeling that my needs and concerns have been met.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUI cycle- $1,200 includes bloodwork through first Beta, u/s monitoring and IUI procedure Does not include medication- Clomid covered by my insurance with copay. Ovidrel- ~ $100 including shipping w/pharmacy discount through RMA (Note: options are changing in 2017 due to new PGS protocols) IVF Multicycle Option w/RMAid 7.5% discount & Select CCS-~ $13,400 includes Dr. & Nurse consults mock embryo transfer (cycle prior to stim), bloodwork through 1st Beta, monitoring, anesthesia, egg retrieval, ICSI, embryo culture/embryologist fees, fresh cycle embryo transfer, also covers one Frozen embryo transfer in the event that fresh cycle transfer cannot be performed, fresh transfer failure or loss of pregnancy if FET can be performed within a 9 month period. (We ended up not having to pay additional fees for our first FET after our loss at 21weeks post fresh transfer). I believe this may have also covered vitrification of frozen embryos. Additional costs- $3,000 genetic testing (covers 10+ (don't remember exact #) of embryo biopsies and can be transferred to multiple stim cycles if you do not meet the maximum number in any given cycle. We had 5 tested from our first IVF cycle, so will most likely not have to pay more for additional preimplantation genetic diagnosis in future cycles. I've talked with finance at RMA and this will be honored with the additional karyotype screening that will be added to the protocol in 2017. (Note- all RMA multi-cycle options will be changing in 2017 due to new PGD protocol. My next stim cycle will likely be a single IVF cycle paid "ala" carte by service since I will not need to pay additionally for PGD. I was quoted and expense of ~$12,000 in expected costs including one FET transfer. Stim cycle medications (gonal-f 900cc injections pens, cetrotide, low dose hCG, hCG trigger shot & pregnancy support (Crinone 8%) through 10 weeks- $~6,000.00 with 25% compassionate care discount through Freedom Pharmacy. I was not aware to shop around for Crinone coupons and additional discount programs. I could have saved more. Co-pay through insurance- ~$30 to 60 for estrace pills, medrol (steroid) and antibiotic FET cycle- $3,500 (without RMAid discount, but possible to qualify for financial aid through practice based on income/insurance coverage). Meds- estrace copay ~$20 -30, progesterone in oil intramuscular injections ~$40.00 for 30 day supply including shipping. Not covered procedures not covered in RMA plans- diagnostic exams and tests like maternal and paternal genetic screens, salinesonograms, hysteroscopy. I've had several genetic screens, (2) salinesonograms, (2) hysteroscopies including (1) endometrial polypectomy performed by Dr. Nguyen and all were covered by insurance. The RMA financial team and staff work hard to code procedures accurately, but in a way that will be accepted by most insurance carriers. I have a very restrictive HMO that does not cover any infertility treatment, but diagnostic screening and tests short of an infertility diagnosis are covered.
Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia.

Dr. Nguyen made sure to address all of my concerns without making me feel stupid for asking. She seemed genuinely interested in my feelings throughout the entire process....Dr. Nguyen is a very sweet and kind person. I felt like she was a friend throughout the process and not just my doctor. At my first ultrasound where we saw I was pregnant with twins, she gave me a big hug. I could tell she was genuinely excited for my husband and me.
I felt very comfortable and confident in this office's [RMA of Philadelphia] ability to get me pregnant. I never felt stressed or rushed while I was at the office for my exams. I had seen another doctor prior to this office and it was a huge difference on the good end of the spectrum. I could not have been happier with Dr. Nguyen's office and this includes their staff in King of Prussia. The doctors that did my egg retrieval and transfer were very nice with good bedside manners. The one doctor had me laughing so hard after the retrieval. I'll never forget the wonderful experience I had compared to the other clinic I had gone to.
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at RMA of Philadelphia?
I started on 300 IUs of Follistim and low dose hcg. This was decreased around day 3. Ganirelix was added in on day 5. I triggered on day 10 with Lupron and a higher dose of hcg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Landi)
Landi made it super easy to get updates during my stimulation phase. She emailed me my status along with any medication changes. She was always available to answer my questions and she was always so upbeat and welcoming during my appointments. The day I went to get my beta test (I had already told her that I got a positive home pregnancy test), she ran out into the waiting room and gave me the biggest hug.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I felt very comfortable and confident in this office's ability to get me pregnant. I never felt stressed or rushed while I was at the office for my exams. I had seen another doctor prior to this office and it was a huge difference on the good end of the spectrum. I could not have been happier with Dr. Nguyen's office and this includes their staff in King of Prussia. The doctors that did my egg retrieval and transfer were very nice with good bedside manners. The one doctor had me laughing so hard after the retrieval. I'll never forget the wonderful experience I had compared to the other clinic I had gone to.
Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Gutman was fantastic. She was very direct, which I appreciated, and she did a great job of managing my expectations. She also managed to explain complicated things clearly and in non-medical terms. I truly felt like I was in the best hands...Upon initial testing, I started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. For the first cycle, we used letrozole and waited for me to ovulate on my own which occurred very late. I also had a short luteal phase that month. In the following cycle, I used letrozole, ovidrel and progesterone to lengthen my luteal phase.
Everythign was very easy [at RMA of Phila]. I was seen on time, received lab results on time and making appts was easy. I would have preferred to have spoken to only nurses that I saw in my regular office rather than nurses from other offices which happened from time to time. I was concerned that they werent as familiar with the ins and outs of my treatment and didn't always feel as comfortable...THe nurses were phenomenal. They really got to know me and were extremely supportive.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust her. She is extremely thorough but if you have questions that are unanswered, ask!
Dr Gutmann was always realistic but hopeful. She was empathetic when we were sad and frustrated but also helped us to set realistic expectations.
Upon initial testing, I started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. For the first cycle, we used letrozole and waited for me to ovulate on my own which occurred very late. I also had a short luteal phase that month. In the following cycle, I used letrozole, ovidrel and progesterone to lengthen my luteal phase. I became pregnant but unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Based on my testing, dr gutman felt that we should try that protocal a few more times and I became pregnant on the second cycle after my miscarriage.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Everythign was very easy. I was seen on time, received lab results on time and making appts was easy. I would have preferred to have spoken to only nurses that I saw in my regular office rather than nurses from other offices which happened from time to time. I was concerned that they werent as familiar with the ins and outs of my treatment and didn't always feel as comfortable.
I paid a copay of $40 for ultrasounds. I also had to pay a copay for medications. Nothing else.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Gutman was compassionate, but realistic, which we appreciated. In a good way, there was no sugarcoating. She was patient with us as we slowly accepted our need for more aggressive fertility treatments in order to have the family we imagined. All the while, she provided clear explanations about procedures and helped us understand our options... She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We love that that clinic [RMA] is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medication
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We thought Dr. Gutman was terrific, and she will always hold a special place in our hearts for bringing us to a place where we now have the family we desired. Along the way, we appreciated her no-nonsense, upfront explanations of the way things were, step by step, good or bad. That might not work for everyone.
There was conversation between Dr. Gutmann and us, not just dry clinical conversation. She also genuinely seemed to be on the ride with us, wanting us to succeed. When our first cycle failed, she called with condolences and I believe she truly was heartbroken for us. She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We were at another clinic first, but felt the care was lacking, so when we came to Dr. Gutman we had already been through the first steps of trying to overcome fertility, which was artificial insemination for us. It failed. With Dr. Gutman, we went right into egg retrieval, which was, unfortunately, not successful. We felt she was responsibly prudent with her dosages of the fertility medications, which included Bravelle and others I can't remember at this time. Something else--during initial conversations with Dr. Gutman, once we revealed we were hoping to have two children and transferring multiple embryos would be welcome, she (once again, responsibly) declined to participate such treatment, for the sake of baby's health and mom's health. As much as we really would have loved a two-for-one, we knew she was right and stuck with her and her professional opinion that we trusted.
They were all very friendly, professional, and sensitive. We always felt welcomed, warmly received, and like they were interested where we were on our journey. (Part of the reason we left the first clinic we tried was because of the nursing staff. Indifference and insensitivity come to mind in thinking about them.)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We love that that clinic is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medications. One dark spot in all the wonderfulness we experienced with Dr. Gutman and RMA came from the billing director out of the Willow Grove office. When our IVF cycle was canceled because there weren't any eggs to retrieve, the refund process was explained to us by the woman who handed billing in King of Prussia (she was wonderful). When it came time to enact the refund, her supervisor (that would be the woman in Willow Grove) got involved and was very abrupt and unfriendly with us, seemingly because either we misunderstood how we would be refunded, or because the woman in King of Prussia explained it to us incorrectly. We've always wondered if the King of Prussia woman got into trouble for either offering to give us a refund in a way that wasn't allowed, or for misleading us.
$18,000 for the failed IVF and egg retrieval $6,000 for the medications $3,000 ICSI genetic testing for the embryos Don't remember how much the frozen egg and embryo transfer process cost

IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
Dr. Gutmann has a matter-of-fact manner, which is not quite warm, but conveys her impressive intelligence and experience. She was always upfront and honest with us. She explained everything we needed to do clearly, and was always on top of our care. She was also completely willing to help us conceive in the manner we desired; we wanted to use my partner's eggs and donor sperm and I wanted to carry out the pregnancy. She was completely supportive of our wishes and was able to help us conceive as we planned...
It was good to have one point of contact [at RMA of Phila - Center City] for questions about the various injections, the drugs we needed, the timings, etc. She provided us both with calendars to track our drug regimen and did demonstrations of the various products we needed to use. We also were provided with comprehensive, well organized paperwork describing all the drugs and procedures in detail, so we knew what to expect and could reference them during treatment...
IVF, Donor Sperm, Surrogacy
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Dr. Gutmann is matter-of-fact, but she will be honest with you, will always take the time needed to explain your treatment, and is excellent at what she does.
I am part of a same-sex couple, and my spouse and I wanted to use her eggs and donor sperm to conceive, and then transfer to me to carry out the pregnancy. Dr. Gutmann was open, informative, welcoming, and non-judgmental throughout this process. She understood our situation and worked with us to achieve the family we wanted.
We did IVF, using 5-day embryo's from retrieved from my wife and inseminated me via ICSI with donor sperm from a cryobank. We then implanted the fresh embryo into me and did 12 weeks of progesterone injections. We had a normal, successful pregnancy. We froze the remaining embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
It was good to have one point of contact for questions about the various injections, the drugs we needed, the timings, etc. She provided us both with calendars to track our drug regimen and did demonstrations of the various products we needed to use. We also were provided with comprehensive, well organized paperwork describing all the drugs and procedures in detail, so we knew what to expect and could reference them during treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths are organization and scheduling. Fertility treatment requires a huge amount of coordination of appointments, drugs, testing, and procedures. RMA, the clinic, was very organized and on top of our treatment plan. They also had appointments at convenient times and I never waited more than 15 minutes for a scheduled appointment. A weakness, if you can call it that, is that you will not see the same doctor every time you go in. This would be impossible, given that your appointments are based on your cycle and treatment milestones, so unless your doctor worked 7 days a week, it would be impossible to see him or her every time you went in. They are organized, however, so whatever doctor you see will know what you need at a particular visit. The only (unavoidable) downside is that we loved the doctor who oversaw our treatment, and who saw us most of the time, but didn't always connect with the other doctors who we only saw occasionally.
Our costs were minimal, as both my spouse and I had insurance that covered the vast majority of our drugs and procedures. I think we spent between $2,500-$4,000 out of pocket. But this was unique to us, due to our unusually generous coverage. RMA did a great job, however, of liaising with our insurance carriers to determine and confirm coverage.

2010 - 2012
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
Dr. Castelbaum was shocked that my previous doctor hadn't don't any type of testing on me to determine why my cycles weren't producing many eggs... He's very fact based and delivers matter-of-factly so you have to be okay with that but he also has a warm bedside manner.
2010 - 2012
2 IUI, 1 IVF, Donor Eggs
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is an incredibly intelligent, capable and appreciative doctor. I want to start with that when I came back to visit with both my boys he was so genuinely touched, held each kid and truly appreciates the miracles he brings into the world. He is very straight forward with his information and also doesn't make assumption or judgments. I came from another clinic with unsuccessful IVF cycles and was referred to egg donation. I switched clinics for a 2nd opinion and Dr. Castelbaum was shocked that my previous doctor hadn't don't any type of testing on me to determine why my cycles weren't producing many eggs and why the ones retrieved were abnormal. He immediately ran some testing and did ultimately agree that egg donation was my best bet at having children while being able to experience pregnancy. He's very fact based and delivers matter-of-factly so you have to be okay with that but he also has a warm bedside manner. I loved him and would refer anyone to him. .
The staff, including Dr. Castelbaum always made me feel like a priority. They always welcomed my son in the office during my 2nd cycle, even helping to watch him while I was being seen. They always knew me, my background, my family and the current status of my cycle. They worked around my schedule and always fit me in. They tried their best to make my cycles the most cost effective they could and I honestly couldn't say enough good things about any of them from reception, nurses, billing, and of course, Dr. Castelbaum.
Always knew me and my situation and current status. Very compassionate to what we were going through as patients. I wish I could remember some of their names because they were fabulous.
1st cycle -- approximately $47,000 2nd cycle -- approximately $3,500

2011 - 2012
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else..At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement.
RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She [Dr. Gutmann] didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos...Everyone was on time, focused on my protocol and comfort, as well as communicated in a timely fashion...There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not.
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else
Be a young patient with financial resources
At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement. I didn't wait too long to try infertility treatment on purpose. I didn't have insurance and I had other personal issues that interfered with pursuing fertility. I still believe I can get pregnant. I am also disappointed that she didn't recommend acupuncture early on or start me on metformin
My cycle is fairly regular. We used medicine like cloud and letrizole to induce ovulation along with hug injection to facilitate ovulation before undergoing IUI. This was followed by topical progesterone as I had a little dip in mid cycle progesterone level. I was never told I had poor eggs. We wanted to do IVF but I couldn't afford it. All of my blood work was ok. I also had a removal of uterine polyp which was small but she wanted to make sure that there was no problem with embryos implantation
No negative comments
Co pays were in line with my insurance. There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not. My insurance would have paid for the injectable medication if it were given in a medical short procedure unit. They said they didn't do it that way. I was not able to get full benefit of IVF due to these hurdles. I work in healthcare. I am able to be responsible for my own care. The drug cost was out of my control and I guess it was out of their control. I decided to pursue embryos donation. RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos
+ Read more- Read less

IVF was [Dr. Martin Freedman's] first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos...is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
RMA really knows what they're doing, and I never felt like I was a number. Information was always relayed to me the same day from the nurses, and if I had any specific questions my doctor would respond to me directly via email as well. All scheduling was always simple, and financing explained all the information for my insurance and then self pay options clearly...IVF was the first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Doctor Freedman is one of the kindest and most empathetic doctors I have ever had. It was a long process, however from my first consult I knew I was in the right hands. Every set back we had, I never doubted my doctor and knew we would have the end result we had been waiting for. I can't recommend him enough.
IVF is a long and sometimes confusing process, Doctor Freedman is at the top of his field. Trust the information he’s providing, but remember to ask plenty of questions.
Doctor Freedman was empathetic the entire process, and explained every step of the way with us. We had a few setbacks and he was always optimistic our end result would be pregnancy.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Insurance lifetime max was utilized, after this was hit I paid the difference cash.
Doctor Freedman is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
+ Read more- Read less

I generally had good interactions with Dr. Freedman. I rarely saw or spoke to him during my cycles, but I saw him each time at pregnancy ultrasounds. During ultrasound appointments it often seemed like he was busy, which I am sure he was...Be willing to do most of your interactions with the nurses at this practice...I did three IUIs with Letrozole. There wasn't really an explanation for the medication or dosages. When I asked the nurse about next steps after the second unsuccessful IUI, she pretty much conveyed that she wasn't sure, but probably the same thing. I asked for the dose to be increased and it was.
I almost exclusively interacted with the nursing staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] which was mostly fine, but I wish there was more debriefing after unsuccessful cycles and involvement in the "game plan." After experiencing a miscarriage, I was never contacted by the clinic and they didn't follow my beta hcg down to zero...You often see different nurses and doctors at your appointments...Some IUI cycles weren't covered by insurance and those were $1000, plus cost of medicine.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be willing to do most of your interactions with the nurses at this practice.
You often see different nurses and doctors at your appointments. Dr. Freeman returned my direct messages, but nurses communicated the majority of the time.
I had brief experiences with nurses at this practice during blood work, ultrasounds, IUIs and calls with results. They were fine.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like that this office has early monitoring appointments starting at 7:00am. I was given Dr. Freedman's card with his email, which he responded to promptly. I almost exclusively interacted with the nursing staff which was mostly fine, but I wish there was more debriefing after unsuccessful cycles and involvement in the "game plan." After experiencing a miscarriage, I was never contacted by the clinic and they didn't follow my beta hcg down to zero.

2017 - 2019
[Dr. Castelbaum] Always knew who I was at every appointment, including my name, my husband's name, our history, and what stage we were at. He anticipated my questions before i asked them because he knew how i was thinking throughout the process...was really easy for my husband and I to connect with. His humor and energy around the "science" aligned with how we work. This isn't for everyone, but it worked really well for us. He answered my questions before I asked them, and he was genuinely happy for us when we "graduated."
The Langhorne office [of RMA of Philadelphia] was small, and the lab area was in the hallway. I felt this was a little too open. Towards the end of my care, they moved to another office, and that was perfect. The new location is great. What I didn't love was having to travel to KOP for weekends and procedures, but I knew that going in. I really liked the Langhorne staff, so going to KOP was an adjustment...[nurses were] 100% human and maternal. I felt like I was dealing with mothers and friends. Many of the nurses were new moms or expecting and truly felt connected to me.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum was really easy for my husband and I to connect with. His humor and energy around the "science" aligned with how we work. This isn't for everyone, but it worked really well for us. He answered my questions before I asked them, and he was genuinely happy for us when we "graduated."
Just remember that you are one of many cases and patients he has seen. He's been through almost every situation, but you have not. Don't be shy to ask him to slow down or explain things further. It can be overwhelming, but remember that he is an expert. He genuinely loves his profession and wants to see you with a healthy baby and a happy future.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The Langhorne office was small, and the lab area was in the hallway. I felt this was a little too open. Towards the end of my care, they moved to another office, and that was perfect. The new location is great. What I didn't love was having to travel to KOP for weekends and procedures, but I knew that going in. I really liked the Langhorne staff, so going to KOP was an adjustment.
It went through insurance and still working out my balance
Dr. had full confidence in eSET and was candid about the opportunity to have twins. His sentiments were in alignment with ours, so this was no issue. I could see how this might be a point of conflict for other patients.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
[Dr. Caselbaum] is always in the center city office...Started with clomid a low dose and I responded well. Failed 4 IUI’s and each try he upped the dosage of clomid...Very to the point and all about statistics. No bed side manner...weird nicknames and jokes. Very brainy man. Not an emotional sensitive but to the point... never present for any IUI. Only nurses. I see and talk to the nurses more then him...Almost awkward socialization skills but very smart.
Amazing nursing staff [at RMA of Philadephia]. Always answer questions and are very sensitive to your situation!...I don’t like having to call for results. They ask you when you arrive if you prefer email or phone call with results. I always chose email since I am unable to answer calls during the work day. They have often called and asked that I call back to hear results. By the time I call they are closed...I feel the appointments are very hard to schedule in the Langhorne office. They have very little dates and times to fit your work schedule. They close before the work day is even over making it difficult to get someone on the phone. Also wait times are longer then expected when you get to the office
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Very honest and provides all statistics. Almost awkward socialization skills but very smart. Not always present. Actually never present for any IUI. Only nurses. I see and talk to the nurses more then him.
Be prepared to see mostly nurses. Delayed start of iVF due to no Availabke appointments. Nurses are amazing but center city office is much more hands on and better appointments. Doctor is always in the center city office
Very to the point and all about statistics. No bed side manner weird nicknames and jokes. Very brainy man. Not an emotional sensitive but to the point
Started with clomid a low dose and I responded well. Failed 4 IUI’s and each try he upped the dosage of clomid. Also used the trigger shot before each IUI. Last IUI I developed cysts on my ovaries and decided to take a break
Amazing nursing staff. Always answer questions and are very sensitive to your situation!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Insurance covers everything except donor egg and meds. I also pay $30 co pay each visit

2014 - 2019
I wish I would see Dr. Freedman more often as well as hear from him throughout a cycle. I know he is making decisions behind the scenes, but I usually only hear about them through the nursing team. He makes small adjustments as needed, but I'm not always aware of what those changes are expected to accomplish.... Several times Dr. Freedman has called late at night to discuss results and discuss next steps.
The clinic [RMA of PA- King of Prussia] has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.... Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Come with lots of questions and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself.
My first retrieval I did 2 weeks of birth control followed by an antagonist protocol. Part way through my Menopur dosage was raised. I stimmed for 11 days and retrieved 8 eggs, all were mature, 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to blast. Both came back mosaic. My second protocol we eliminated the birth control because Dr. Freedman thought it may have over suppressed me and we could get more eggs. Same medicine and we retrieved 13 eggs, 8 were mature, 6 fertilized, and none made it to blast. We were shocked and have no good reason why it happened. I am planning a microdose lupron protocol next month.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.
Currently covered by insurance
He is very adamant that single is best, especially at my age.
+ Read more- Read less

Dr. Castelbaum has all my information ready for me. Anytime I ask a question he has an answer for me and does not go looking through notes he knows my situation and I by face...I can not think of a negative even when I probably should be contacting the nurse, if I contact Dr. he always answer my question without hesitation. I have had no disappointments and I have always been treated with respect. Dr. Castelbaum makes me feel very comfortable in not so comfortable situations.
The nurse and office staff [at RMA] are ok but at times they can be rude and very unprofessional at times. They do not always provide the information you need and when you ask they make it seem as if you are getting on their nerves...This clinic do not offer a patient portal so you have to go to the office for everything. There are several offices for your convenience. You can choose any office that works for you. The office staff can sometimes be rude if you go on a busy day and they show little concern once you become a patient but not active at the time. It seems they are only concerned with active or potential patients.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is great. I can not think of a negative even when I probably should be contacting the nurse, if I contact Dr. he always answer my question without hesitation. I have had no disappointments and I have always been treated with respect. Dr. Castelbaum makes me feel very comfortable in not so comfortable situations.
Ask questions if you do not understand. Dr. Castelbaum has patience and will go over anything you need so do not be scared to ask if you don’t know.
I am in the beginning stage. We haven’t gotten to my protocol as of yet.
The nurse and office staff are ok but at times they can be rude and very unprofessional at times. They do not always provide the information you need and when you ask they make it seem as if you are getting on their nerves.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I am uncertain. I started off with insurance but I am now self pay and am waiting to get exact self pay amount.
Dr. Castelbaum will only transfer one embryo if you are under a certain age (35).
+ Read more- Read less

He [Dr. Arthur Castelbaum] has been very affirming of LGBTQ+ identified patients and has a great sense of humor...We did 4 rounds of IUI with clomid and an ovidrel trigger for each attempt. I was not diagnosed with any infertility - but since we are a same-sex couple, we went to RMA... the next recommendation is IVF...Dr. Castelbaum has been warm, friendly, kind, and funny. He made a point to ask about what my wife and I did for living and seemed to recognize us and remember us during our meetings. He was also very affirming of us as a same-sex couple.
We live in Central PA - so it’s nice having the clinic [RMA] so close. It was slightly inconvenient that any surgical procedures, as well as anything on the weekend, needs to be done at the King of Prussia office...We did 4 rounds of IUI with clomid and an ovidrel trigger for each attempt. I was not diagnosed with any infertility - but since we are a same-sex couple, we went to RMA. Insurance does not cover any of our treatments, so the next recommendation is IVF.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum has a wonderful personality that matched my wife and I so well. He is clearly knowledgeable and was honest with us about his recommendations. He was willing to hear our concerns and seemed to genuinely care about us during the process.
He has been very affirming of LGBTQ+ identified patients and has a great sense of humor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa Zegley )
Melissa is the person we saw most often and I cannot say enough about her intelligence, compassion, and care. She’s the best!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We live in Central PA - so it’s nice having the clinic so close. It was slightly inconvenient that any surgical procedures, as well as anything on the weekend, needs to be done at the King of Prussia office - but it could be worse!
We had to pay for everything except for diagnostic tests.

6 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
She [Dr. Gutmann] was very kind and understanding about our frustrations during the fertility process. We were frustrated at our lack of success, but we stuck it out and she never gave up on us. Ultimately, we were successful and we loved having Dr. G as our physician the entire time.... Dr. G was a huge asset to our care. If we had a doctor that we liked less, we might have been tempted to change, but she was kind and realistic. She was clear and accessible. She is extremely knowledgable and is an expert in the field.
Clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] has hours everyday and on holidays. Very responsive to phone calls. Staff helps to look into insurance issues, which was very helpful. Early office hours allow for appointments before work. You have one primary doctor, but you will see multiple doctors based on who is scheduled. Ultimately, your doctors make all of the decisions. Our doctor was even making decisions and communicating decisions with us when she was on vacation abroad.
6 IUI, 1 IVF, 2 Embryo Freezing, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Anovulation, PCOS, Poor Egg Quality, Uterine Fibroids, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
The infertility process is hard. We went through it for many years and had to adjust course a number of times. Dr. G was a huge asset to our care. If we had a doctor that we liked less, we might have been tempted to change, but she was kind and realistic. She was clear and accessible. She is extremely knowledgable and is an expert in the field.
If she got us pregnant, she can get you pregnant.
She was very kind and understanding about our frustrations during the fertility process. We were frustrated at our lack of success, but we stuck it out and she never gave up on us. Ultimately, we were successful and we loved having Dr. G as our physician the entire time.
I do not recall
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
Excellent nurses overall. Knowledgable and friendly. Very sensitive.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clinic has hours everyday and on holidays. Very responsive to phone calls. Staff helps to look into insurance issues, which was very helpful. Early office hours allow for appointments before work. You have one primary doctor, but you will see multiple doctors based on who is scheduled. Ultimately, your doctors make all of the decisions. Our doctor was even making decisions and communicating decisions with us when she was on vacation abroad.
I do not remember. Insurance covered most IUI, IVF was out of pocket
RMA is very clear about wanting to avoid multiples. I appreciated this approach.

19 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
Poor Egg Quality, Unexplained
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense...If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb... she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
RMA is always open...holidays and weekends. they are very responsive, helpful, and the staff is great...during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle...Our specific problems happened only twice and only with one nurse. The rest of the clinic and staffing were perfect and went over and beyond with informing us and with with follow ups
European, Other
19 IUI, 3 IVF, Donor Eggs, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She's just the best! Really knows her stuff, explains it well, doesn't sugar coat, but isn't harsh. Personable without being unprofessional. I was at RMA 219 times in my time there and everytime i knew she was in the office I felt relived and happy to know i was under her care and that I got the chance to talk with her.
If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb. Always has your best interest in mind and I'm pretty sure sheworks 23/7
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense. we also discussed personal lives and she got to know us
23 cycles too many too list but she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
IUIs the most expensive part was teh donor sperm. copays each visit and my shots weren't covered. they were $99 a cycle. during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle. No insurance coverage with IVF. My Wife started IVF and her meds were mostly covered with a small copay. We received grants from Hasidah and JFCS. that helped. overall we spent about $80,000 for 3 years of infertility

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Freedman was totally invested in our success. He seemed to want things to go as well as we did at every stage of the process. He was always professional, super caring, knowledgeable, and always made sure we understood what was going on...Dr Freedman took the time to get to know us personally. He made personal phone calls to us at home, he was always a pleasure to interact with even when the news wasn't good...
I loved the personable nursing staff [at RMA of Phila] as much as I loved Dr. Freedman! After starting most of my days early in the morning in their office, I really appreciated how friendly and kind the nursing staff was...They have package offerings for multiple cycles, which was so helpful and they figure out all payment options for you...They can see you very early in the morning, and on the weekends. They also get you in and out as quickly as possible!
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Never be afraid to ask absolutely any questions!
Dr Freedman took the time to get to know us personally. He made personal phone calls to us at home, he was always a pleasure to interact with even when the news wasn't good. We were so inspired we went back with our blessing and a gift for him.
I would have to look back at my notes to remember the protocol. I do remember that after the first failed transfer, he knew exactly what to do. We did a "natural" frozen embryo transfer the second time. Both were single embryo transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
I loved the personable nursing staff as much as I loved Dr. Freedman! After starting most of my days early in the morning in their office, I really appreciated how friendly and kind the nursing staff was.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They can see you very early in the morning, and on the weekends. They also get you in and out as quickly as possible! The weekend office and surgical office is in King of Prussia, which is far for some, but a good excuse to shop afterwards.
He strongly believes in single embryo transfers if at all possible.
+ Read more- Read less

The news we received after the transfer was not what we wanted. However, he [Dr. Freedman] was positive, optimistic and comforting... Not ever pushy... thorough with our first meeting about how the process worked, etc. He was kind... After our last failed transfer, he reached out to me with a plan for going forward that we could discuss when we were ready...We used icsi to fertilize our eggs.
The clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] was prompt with any questions or anything we needed. The clinic was clean, easily accessible, and timely...I loved the nursing staff! The main nurse I saw was amazing she showed me how to administer what I needed, she was awesome if I called and had a question, they just made a scary experience so comforting...I signed up for an embryo retrieval with icsi along with a fresh and frozen transfer. The cost for these procedures, along with all ultrasounds and blood work, and medicine came to about 17,000.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman was thorough with our first meeting about how the process worked, etc. He was kind and comforting and if we visited another doctor and he was unsure with the results or response he would reach out immediately and make any necessary changes. After our last failed transfer, he reached out to me with a plan for going forward that we could discuss when we were ready. Not ever pushy.
Do research before going in to the first appointment. Have questions prepared. Be aware there is no guarantee and that they are providing the best care they can. Ask as many questions as possible whenever feeling uncertain.
The news we received after the transfer was not what we wanted. However, he was positive, optimistic and comforting.
We used icsi to fertilize our eggs.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic was prompt with any questions or anything we needed. The clinic was clean, easily accessible, and timely.
When I received my fresh and frozen transfer, I was 31. He felt I was young and healthy enough with no reason to transfer more than one egg.

2012 - 2015
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine. My success was limited in part to the fact that my insurance coverage was limited and affordable injection medicine was not available to me...She never used the term unexplained infertility but I suspect that is what I have. We planned on injections but insurance would only cover it if the medicine was given in a medical short procedure unit. When I informed her of that , she didn’t think it was a good idea
[RMA of Phila] Efficient, accessible, comfortable....Parking was good. Business staff helpful. Place is clean, modern equipment. Short wait time for appointment booking. Short time in waiting room. Good magazine selection...[Nursing Staff] Pretty knowledgeable and thorough....She [Dr. Gutmann] is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine...I had to pay out of pocket for sperm
2012 - 2015
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine. My success was limited in part to the fact that my insurance coverage was limited and affordable injection medicine was not available to me
Start your infertility journey early and don’t mess around with IUI. Go straight to IVF, donor eggs, whatever. I personally believe that if you cannot get pregnant naturally IUI is not enough to get you pregnant. Be more aggressive in pursuing pregnancy
She was very determined and committed to helping me get pregnant
We used Clomid, letrozole and IUI. I have regular cycle, normal uterus and endometrial lining. Tubes were patent. She never used the term unexplained infertility but I suspect that is what I have. We planned on injections but insurance would only cover it if the medicine was given in a medical short procedure unit. When I informed her of that , she didn’t think it was a good idea
Pretty knowledgeable and thorough
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Efficient, accessible, comfortable. 200 words? Really? Parking was good. Business staff helpful. Place is clean, modern equipment. Short wait time for appointment booking. Short time in waiting room. Good magazine selection
I had HRA plan. I had expected costs. My pharmacy plan did not cover injections. I had to pay out of pocket for sperm
No experience
+ Read more- Read less
She [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] is a little blunt and to the point but is compassionate as well, which I have found is a great mix for a doctor to have. She also took the time to call me personally after my failed cycles and to provide feedback on next steps. She came up with a new protocol for us which we were so thankful for. Overall, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking help in conceiving...As we PGS tested our embryos and as we are u dear 35, Dr. Gutmann would only let us transfer one embryo. This is the general practice at RMA.
We have been pleased with RMA’s clinic and surgery center. Appointment times are generally on time. Location in King if Prussia is great for us and they have lots of other convenient locations in the area...Overall the nursing staff is pleasant to work with. There are a few nurses that I see more than others since I go to the same RMA location. They remember me and are professional and attentive...we PGS tested our embryos and as we are u dear 35, Dr. Gutmann would only let us transfer one embryo. This is the general practice at RMA.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We have been seeing Dr. Gutmann for almost a year. She is extremely knowledgeable and I trust her with my care. We have had a couple different procedures with her and she is always very professional. She is a little blunt and to the point but is compassionate as well, which I have found is a great mix for a doctor to have. She also took the time to call me personally after my failed cycles and to provide feedback on next steps. She came up with a new protocol for us which we were so thankful for. Overall, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking help in conceiving.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We had insurance coverage during our treatment.
+ Read more- Read less

Overall it was very good, even during the first visit they did an ultra sound and bloodwork right away, he [Dr. Castelbaum] also told us of the entire plan during our first visit which I liked. He was very friendly and made each visit easier then I expected. He was also very positive which was good....He does like to joke around which he thinks helps patients relax more. I was fine with them and they did make me feel at easy since I was very nervous. I think some people may not find this as comforting as I did.
The clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] is very nice, large and clear. They have everything at the Langhorne office, but you have to go to KOP and St. Mary's hospital for certain proceedures and tests. Only thing that really bothered me is that you can't call your office directly, like ever, they just have an answering service and take messages.... He [Dr. Castelbaum] was always very pleasant, made small jokes to make us feel more comfortable, spent enough time with us, answered all our questions and listened to what we wanted to do.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Overall it was very good, even during the first visit they did an ultra sound and bloodwork right away, he also told us of the entire plan during our first visit which I liked. He was very friendly and made each visit easier then I expected. He was also very positive which was good.
He was always very pleasant, made small jokes to make us feel more comfortable, spent enough time with us, answered all our questions and listened to what we wanted to do.
They were very nice
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic is very nice, large and clear. They have everything at the Langhorne office, but you have to go to KOP and St. Mary's hospital for certain proceedures and tests. Only thing that really bothered me is that you can't call your office directly, like ever, they just have an answering service and take messages.
Expensive.
+ Read more- Read less
She [Dr. Shalih] was very pleasant and compassionate each time, however she didn't communicate well and never explained each step well or as to why we were doing it. I did like the fact that I saw her each visit and for my procedure. After my failed IUI she didn't seem bothered and basically said let's do it again. We didn't like that approach at all.... I did clomid on it's own 3 times first days 3-7 which resulted in failed cycles. Then for our IUI, we were on 75 of Gonal F
It's a small office [RMA of Philadelphia] and I was seen super quickly and by my doctor- this I loved! But the receptionist was not pleasant or friendly to me at all which made it a little awkward. They always took me on time though which was another plus... The nurse practioner, Melissa was not pleasant at all and quite rude when I had questions about the injections. It was overwhelming to feel stupid for having questions when dealing with infertility itself is already such a tough thing.
How was your experience with Sana Salih at RMA of Philadelphia?
She was very pleasant and compassionate each time, however she didn't communicate well and never explained each step well or as to why we were doing it. I did like the fact that I saw her each visit and for my procedure. After my failed IUI she didn't seem bothered and basically said let's do it again. We didn't like that approach at all.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sana Salih at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask questions and ask why she is doing things
Describe the protocols Sana Salih used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I did clomid on it's own 3 times first days 3-7 which resulted in failed cycles. Then for our IUI, we were on 75 of Gonal F, 100mg clomid and did the trigger shot. We went in every other day for monitoring
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa )
When explaining the injections she rushed through the directions and when I asked her to repeat, she was quite rude and confused why I didn't get it. Very bad experience.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It's a small office and I was seen super quickly and by my doctor- this I loved! But the receptionist was not pleasant or friendly to me at all which made it a little awkward. They always took me on time though which was another plus
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sana Salih at RMA of Philadelphia.
Clomid was cheap with our insurance but for the IUI package insurance covered nothing so we spent a total of about 2300$ for that cycle
Describe Sana Salih's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Sana Salih
+ Read more- Read less

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Sana Salih at RMA of Philadelphia.

He [Dr. Schlaff] was thorough and very experienced. He was patient and considerate. He had a great bedside manner. He never made me feel bad about my infertility and always stayed positive and hopeful. He communicated regularly and always told my husband and I to reach out if we needed anything.... He always stressed the positives and placed no blame on me or my husband. He was thorough and explained everything in a way that was easy to understand.
Great communication. Everyone [RMA of Philadelphia] worked together as a team and treated my husband and I with the highest regard. They supported us and showed empathy. They were sensitive to our needs and situation. They were always positive and full of energy, especially in early mornings!...They were all very freindly. I could trust them. They began to feel like family.... He [Dr. Schlaff] had a great bedside manner.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
He was thorough and very experienced. He was patient and considerate. He had a great bedside manner. He never made me feel bad about my infertility and always stayed positive and hopeful. He communicated regularly and always told my husband and I to reach out if we needed anything.
Just to be patient and to listen to him. He will lead you in the right direction.
Describe the protocols William Schlaff used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We did iui's. My previous doctor preformed other procedures to diagnose a problem if there was one.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Great communication. Everyone worked together as a team and treated my husband and I with the highest regard. They supported us and showed empathy. They were sensitive to our needs and situation. They were always positive and full of energy, especially in early mornings!
My insurance didn't cover the iui's or any in vitro fertilization.
Describe William Schlaff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
He believed in only one transfer if we did in vitro.

2010 - 2017
Dr castelbaum is extremely empathetic and caring. He explained thoroughly his concerns with my pcos and extreme follicle growths and the chance of many multiples. He gave me choices and his input which I appreciated... He played with dosage of medication and switched from oral to injectables. He monitored my follicles frequently by ultrasound. Ordered hsg to check for Fallopian tube blockage... As scary as it is, he wants the best for you and to do everybody he can for you he successful
Clean, many locations, quick service, team approach, quiet. The staff [RMA of Phila] are always available for questions and helpful in going over billing and procedures if need. The staff can make you smile even after the worst news and work with you over outrageous outstanding bills... Billing was very helpful. They explained the costs with you prior to procedures and go over insurance policy. They are willing to set up payment plans
2010 - 2017
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Believe in him. As scary as it is, he wants the best for you and to do everybody he can for you he successful
Extremely compassionate. Took time to go over results and the effects of my PCOS
Hardworking, helpful, compsssionate. always smiling
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clean, many locations, quick service, team approach, quiet. The staff are always available for questions and helpful in going over billing and procedures if need. The staff can make you smile even after the worst news and work with you over outrageous outstanding bills

2005 - 2016
In the beginning, I felt like a human and had my son in 2006. The office merged and when I returned for a second child, I felt unheard and more like a number...I enjoyed working with him [Dr. Martin Freedman] in the mid 2000s, unfortunately I feel as though the merger of the practice decreased the quality of care. Dr. Freedman seemed uninteresting in trying to continue to do iui with me and my inability to afford ivf caused a lack of care in my treatment.
Strengths: doctors have years of experience and dedication. Weaknesses: lack of communication. RMA is dedicated and committed to helping families with their infertility goals; however I believe they lack in their understanding of the devastating of secondary issues.... The nurses were friendly and good at drawing blood, but phone calls wereally not returned.
2005 - 2016
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I enjoyed working with him in the mid 2000s, unfortunately I feel as though the merger of the practice decreased the quality of care. Dr. Freedman seemed uninteresting in trying to continue to do iui with me and my inability to afford ivf caused a lack of care in my treatment.
Listen to your heart. If you feel unheard go elsewhere. But, RMA gave me my only miracle and I am forever grateful
2 iui cycles with clomid resulting in live boy birth 2006. 6 iui cycles: 5 with clomid, 1 injections. 1 viAL used each time. No pregnancy. Recommend ivf
1250 for iui each cycle and about 900 for sperms vial

2013 - 2014
He [Dr. Freedman] was very compassionate to our struggle conceiving. When my insurance made it difficult to get the medications I needed they worked with me and gave me samples as they were able. My only qualm was having to travel around to many different offices between working full time.... We did 3 cycles of IUI and they were not successful for me. Then he did an HSG. Around that time my family relocated to another state so we were not able to continue seeing him
I just really didn't appreciate all the traveling that I had to do. I chose the location in Langhorne but had to travel to King of Prussia for any procedures. My boss was very supportive of my journey and allowed me to flex my schedule accordingly. However it was just added stress for me.... They [RMA of Philadelphia] were willing to work with us on paying for services rendered and also helped us with getting the medications we needed.
2013 - 2014
European, Black or African-American, Middle Eastern, Native American
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
He was very compassionate to our struggle conceiving. When my insurance made it difficult to get the medications I needed they worked with me and gave me samples as they were able. My only qualm was having to travel around to many different offices between working full time.
I remember being especially stressed and crying, and he sat with me.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It was really hard for our family because insurance did not cover any of our treatment. They were willing to work with us on paying for services rendered and also helped us with getting the medications we needed.
+ Read more- Read less
Dr. Guttman is extremely informed of current research and trends. She provides as much information as you ask her for--ask lots of questions if you want more info. She tends to regulate the information she gives on the patient's needs. And doesn't get tired on answering questions, ever...was very attentive, and adapted to my needs in how she treated me. She was especially supportive and empathetic if I was ever in pain during a test or procedure, she checked in on me regularly and didn't rush when I asked additional information about further research and context.
I had to request they [RMA of Philadelphia] send information to my primary care doctor a few times before it was completed. Also, they didn't let me know my thyroid results were super high before the last insemination...As a single woman in this process, the warmth of the clinic substantially helped my sense of loneliness at being in this journey. The staff became my community I could count on for a smile everytime. weaknesses: only thing on my last insemination, didn't give me thyroid blood tests back before the insemination.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask lots of questions, you'll find a wealth of information. Check test results before your insemination, too.
Dr. Guttman was very attentive, and adapted to my needs in how she treated me. She was especially supportive and empathetic if I was ever in pain during a test or procedure, she checked in on me regularly and didn't rush when I asked additional information about further research and context.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
Loved Kelly, I was excited everytime I saw her, extremely warm, compassionate, and professional, too.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: they are extremely organized, give timely call-backs, and are super-clean, and super friendly. June always said hi warmly when I arrived and remembered me offering comfort. As a single woman in this process, the warmth of the clinic substantially helped my sense of loneliness at being in this journey. The staff became my community I could count on for a smile everytime. weaknesses: only thing on my last insemination, didn't give me thyroid blood tests back before the insemination.
costs were excellent, mostly covered by my insurance.
+ Read more- Read less

I'm glad that Dr. Freedman was my fertility Dr. He was understanding, informative, attentive and punctual. He spent adequate time with me during each visit . He tailored a plan that was great for my condition (PCOS)... was attentive, informative and honest. He made me feel as if my care was a priority and that i mattered...The information and test results i received were always available at the time that was communicated to me at my visit.
The information and test results i received [at RMA of Philadelphia] were always available at the time that was communicated to me at my visit. I received an explanation of all my levels and next course of action so that i was never left in the dark. Every time that i sent an email the nurse Ceil responded within the hour...The clinic staff were inviting and friendly. They knew my name when i walked in and immediately checked me in with ease. I never waited more than 10 minutes to be seen. The clinic was clean and organized.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't hesitate make an appointment TODAY!
Dr Freedman was attentive, informative and honest. He made me feel as if my care was a priority and that i mattered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Ceil)
The information and test results i received were always available at the time that was communicated to me at my visit. I received an explanation of all my levels and next course of action so that i was never left in the dark. Every time that i sent an email the nurse Ceil responded within the hour.

IVF, Donor Sperm
Dr Guzman was great, very candid and to the point, I just felt like a number and our situation was not paid any attention. I had to call to check on the status of our charts, whether plans with our other doctors were communicated and the status of results and file updates.... We were on the treatment path for male factor and then changed doctors... Lack of communication with our urologist and they forgot to reach out to us with our plan and status and I was no longer considered a patient and needed to go through the orientation process twice.
The office [RMA of Philadelphia] was always packed, and I frequently waited more than an hour. I felt like we had to describe our situation in detail every time, which was painful.... The nurses were very kind, but they did seem to be managing a lot... Lack of communication with our urologist and they forgot to reach out to us with our plan and status and I was no longer considered a patient and needed to go through the orientation process twice.
IVF, Donor Sperm
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask questions, do your research, come win questions and be prepared to be the facilitator with any other doctors esp urologists
The office was always packed, and I frequently waited more than an hour. I felt like we had to describe our situation in detail every time, which was painful.
We were on the treatment path for male factor and then changed doctors
The nurses were very kind, but they did seem to be managing a lot
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Be prepared to wait for your appointment at the clinic. Come prepared with questions and know your insurance protocols beforehand. Never feel like your question may be too minor, bc they deal with this every day!
Pretty standard
Not applicable

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
We chose IUI first and did 6 rounds of clomid with IUI [at RMA of Philadelphia]...[The nurses are] Very nice and good at their jobs...Very on top of patient relationship and quick. Get you and in and out. Flexible on appt times or lateness. Good on explaining things and keeping you updated on what is going on. I didn’t mind getting my blood drawn because they were good...He [Dr. Schlaff] is very kind and supportive. Definitely on the side of his patients but also factual and realistic. So as much as he wanted it for us, he could not control the outcome...I want a doctor to dig deeper and I feel like he did not. He was helpful in getting us a reason for pregnancy not to be occurring and I feel he took the perfect first steps but as it didn’t work I think we should have been more aggressive in next steps. He was super compassionate as I was scared about all the firsts and he did a good job at explaining everything.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be your own best advocate.
He is very kind and supportive. Definitely on the side of his patients but also factual and realistic. So as much as he wanted it for us, he could not control the outcome.
We chose IUI first and did 6 rounds of clomid with IUI. One of the rounds we did not do IUI. I forget why.
Very nice and good at their jobs.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Not sure. Used insurance.