Genetic counseling: Offered
Philadelphia
1015 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend RMA of Philadelphia to a friend?

IVF was [Dr. Martin Freedman's] first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos...is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
RMA really knows what they're doing, and I never felt like I was a number. Information was always relayed to me the same day from the nurses, and if I had any specific questions my doctor would respond to me directly via email as well. All scheduling was always simple, and financing explained all the information for my insurance and then self pay options clearly...IVF was the first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Doctor Freedman is one of the kindest and most empathetic doctors I have ever had. It was a long process, however from my first consult I knew I was in the right hands. Every set back we had, I never doubted my doctor and knew we would have the end result we had been waiting for. I can't recommend him enough.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
IVF is a long and sometimes confusing process, Doctor Freedman is at the top of his field. Trust the information he’s providing, but remember to ask plenty of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Doctor Freedman was empathetic the entire process, and explained every step of the way with us. We had a few setbacks and he was always optimistic our end result would be pregnancy.
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
Insurance lifetime max was utilized, after this was hit I paid the difference cash.
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Doctor Freedman is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.

Dr. Castlebaum immediately suggested IVF after we had gotten pregnant with our most recent IVF. The manner in which he discussed it was very cavalier and detached. When we finally asked about IVF packages and what he suggested for our situation, his response was "I always like a money back plan, " as if we were purchasing material goods.... We tried 3 IUIs with progesterone as this had worked (though resulted in miscarriage) with our 4th IUI. On the final IUI ,I asked if there was anything else and he said we could perhaps try Follistim (no real explanation why).
We really felt like a number there [RMA of Phil]....Nurses provided basic information but didn't offer helpful suggestions or further explanation. Really just felt as though they read from a script.... We had a nurse call on our 2nd cycle to tell us to "come in for insemination " when it was never discussed or explained prior.... they seemed content to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
As stated before, RMA is fine if you have an easily fixable problem. Otherwise, RMA, and especially Castlebaum are content to just go through the motions and then immediately move to IVF when the typical treatments don't work. Our least personal experience was with Castlebaum.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Expect blunt information and insensitive jokes if you are sensitive . Do your research beforehand and have questions prepared. Question the statistics of treatments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castlebaum immediately suggested IVF after we had gotten pregnant with our most recent IVF. The manner in which he discussed it was very cavalier and detached. When we finally asked about IVF packages and what he suggested for our situation, his response was "I always like a money back plan, " as if we were purchasing material goods. This was a huge turnoff and a big reason for leaving RMA altogether.
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Castlebaum basically told us to request what we wanted if we weren't going to do IVF. He did not think outside the box or offer alternate options. We tried 3 IUIs with progesterone as this had worked (though resulted in miscarriage) with our 4th IUI. On the final IUI ,I asked if there was anything else and he said we could perhaps try Follistim (no real explanation why). We also added Ovidrel, and he told us it was up to us which day we used it rather than monitoring and figuring out the most optimal time. All 3 IUIs resulted in negative tests.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
 We really felt like a number there. This is something we've realized more as time goes on, especially with our current RE who is so specific and personal. A strength would be that overall,RMA is very successful. However, this is only true if you have an easily fixable issue. Friends have gotten pregnant there within only a few cycles. But with us, they seemed content to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal. Everything seemed "scripted" in a way, without really trying to look for an issue and individualize our care.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
Copays for office visits were $20.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
No comment

2014 - 2017
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement.... To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey.
It [RMA of PA-Willow Grove] is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.... From start to finish they were incredible with the loss and the BFP they were a great source of comfort and compassion I cannot say enough about the staff.
2014 - 2017
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement. After Tatum was born we sent Dr. Castlebaum a birth announcement he again called us to express his delight and tell us how adorable our son is. To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey. We had been to another place where all I can describe it as is being cattle herded we were literally just a number and a paycheck and with no fertility coverage that's not what you want. Dr. Castlebaum makes you feel like part of his family and when you're struggling to have a baby that is so important.
Ask him anything he loves questions and he loves to hatch the plan with you. He doesn't tell you what "his plan" is for you instead it's your collaboration.
I am in a same sex marriage and he listens to everything we have said along the way we even went to another doctor for Ivf and when we returned to him for my wife to get iui all he wanted to know was if we were successful at the other office. He's amazing and we will never seek care from anyone else again!
Iui twice with me using letrezol and hcg trigger shot one was positive pregnancy that ended in mc the other did not work. With my wife he did two iui no med assist and the first did not work the second did!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.
I believe the iui was 1,000 plus the cost of meds but I'm not 100% sure I took a new job and it did have coverage for iui so with my wife there were specialist copay so 40.00 each visit. The sperm cost 890 per vial and we have purchased a total of 9 and if costs between 250-400 to ship.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.

At RMA, you are not always treated by the same doctor, although Freedman generally "oversaw" each cycle. Still, he often forgot how many cycles we'd done or which procedures we'd done.... In person, Dr. Freedman is great, answers your questions, and is very calming. However, as questions started to arise, it began to feel as though more information should have been shared and more options discussed. The communication was really our biggest issue, as we never really understood why certain treatments were being administered or what more could have been done.
Nurses [RMA of Phil] were average. They didn't really provide any extra information and at times were even too sympathetic.... Billing was the biggest disaster at RMA. we received many bills for hundreds of dollars for procedures that were covered by insurance.... I would speak to someone in billing who would tell me they'd "write it off" ( not correct it), only to receive the same bill again. We ultimately left because the billing issues became so stressful.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do your research beforehand and have questions prepared.
At RMA, you are not always treated by the same doctor, although Freedman generally "oversaw" each cycle. Still, he often forgot how many cycles we'd done or which procedures we'd done. We never discussed IUI in detail at first but got the call to "come in for insemination." It felt like there was a lot missing in terms of communication.
We began with Clomid only for a cycle. With the 2nd cycle, IUI was proposed by a nurse over the phone without any explanation or prior conversation. This was alarming since this was our first RE and we had no idea what to expect. We did Letrozole only for the next cycle, then 4 IUIs with Letrozole. On the last IUI, Dr. Freedman added progesterone (without any explanation, but again we didn't know any better amd just went with it). We got pregnant with this last IUI, but miscarried at 7 weeks with an empty gestational sac. I had a D&C, then once my levels returned to normal, we decided to take a break from ttc. Eventually, we decided to go with a new RE who might be more aggressive.
Nurses were average. They didn't really provide any extra information and at times were even too sympathetic. By this I mean that they made us feel terrible coming in after our miscarriage because their demeanor was a little too "sad" rather than helping us to be optimistic (making sad faces, saying "I'm so sorry" repeatedly).
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We really felt like a number there. This is something we've realized more as time goes on, especially with our current RE who is so specific and personal. A strength would be that overall,RMA is very successful. However, this is only true if you have an easily fixable issue. Friends have gotten pregnant there within only a few cycles. But with us, they seemed to just "go through the motions," and when the typical methods didn't work, they went right to IVF as though it was no big deal. Everything seemed "scripted" in a way, without really trying to look for an issue and individualize our care.
We paid a copay each time except for blood only. Billing was the biggest disaster at RMA. we received many bills for hundreds of dollars for procedures that were covered by insurance. I would speak to someone in billing who would tell me they'd "write it off" ( not correct it), only to receive the same bill again. We ultimately left because the billing issues became so stressful. In the end, I resorted to crying to billing personnel on the phone saying that I was forced to leave and figure out something with another clinic because we couldn't continue to accrue unnecessary charges if we weren't even seeing results. The woman's response was to offer a 3 way call with my insurance company to "figure something out." They refused to look into the issue. Later, we received more bills months after leaving... for my D&C no less, which was a painful reminder. Also the bills were in my husband's name this time, for "tramsvaginal ultrasounds." He called and they again "wrote it off."
No comment
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
The IUI was not discussed with us beforehand. We had a nurse call us to "come in for insemination" when we'd been given no explanation about what that meant or why it was being proposed.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

I generally had good interactions with Dr. Freedman. I rarely saw or spoke to him during my cycles, but I saw him each time at pregnancy ultrasounds. During ultrasound appointments it often seemed like he was busy, which I am sure he was...Be willing to do most of your interactions with the nurses at this practice...I did three IUIs with Letrozole. There wasn't really an explanation for the medication or dosages. When I asked the nurse about next steps after the second unsuccessful IUI, she pretty much conveyed that she wasn't sure, but probably the same thing. I asked for the dose to be increased and it was.
I almost exclusively interacted with the nursing staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] which was mostly fine, but I wish there was more debriefing after unsuccessful cycles and involvement in the "game plan." After experiencing a miscarriage, I was never contacted by the clinic and they didn't follow my beta hcg down to zero...You often see different nurses and doctors at your appointments...Some IUI cycles weren't covered by insurance and those were $1000, plus cost of medicine.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be willing to do most of your interactions with the nurses at this practice.
You often see different nurses and doctors at your appointments. Dr. Freeman returned my direct messages, but nurses communicated the majority of the time.
I had brief experiences with nurses at this practice during blood work, ultrasounds, IUIs and calls with results. They were fine.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like that this office has early monitoring appointments starting at 7:00am. I was given Dr. Freedman's card with his email, which he responded to promptly. I almost exclusively interacted with the nursing staff which was mostly fine, but I wish there was more debriefing after unsuccessful cycles and involvement in the "game plan." After experiencing a miscarriage, I was never contacted by the clinic and they didn't follow my beta hcg down to zero.

1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
Dr. Freedman was totally invested in our success. He seemed to want things to go as well as we did at every stage of the process. He was always professional, super caring, knowledgeable, and always made sure we understood what was going on...Dr Freedman took the time to get to know us personally. He made personal phone calls to us at home, he was always a pleasure to interact with even when the news wasn't good...
I loved the personable nursing staff [at RMA of Phila] as much as I loved Dr. Freedman! After starting most of my days early in the morning in their office, I really appreciated how friendly and kind the nursing staff was...They have package offerings for multiple cycles, which was so helpful and they figure out all payment options for you...They can see you very early in the morning, and on the weekends. They also get you in and out as quickly as possible!
1 IVF, 1 Embryo Freezing
Male Factor, Uterine Fibroids
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Never be afraid to ask absolutely any questions!
Dr Freedman took the time to get to know us personally. He made personal phone calls to us at home, he was always a pleasure to interact with even when the news wasn't good. We were so inspired we went back with our blessing and a gift for him.
I would have to look back at my notes to remember the protocol. I do remember that after the first failed transfer, he knew exactly what to do. We did a "natural" frozen embryo transfer the second time. Both were single embryo transfers.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
I loved the personable nursing staff as much as I loved Dr. Freedman! After starting most of my days early in the morning in their office, I really appreciated how friendly and kind the nursing staff was.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They can see you very early in the morning, and on the weekends. They also get you in and out as quickly as possible! The weekend office and surgical office is in King of Prussia, which is far for some, but a good excuse to shop afterwards.
He strongly believes in single embryo transfers if at all possible.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

The news we received after the transfer was not what we wanted. However, he [Dr. Freedman] was positive, optimistic and comforting... Not ever pushy... thorough with our first meeting about how the process worked, etc. He was kind... After our last failed transfer, he reached out to me with a plan for going forward that we could discuss when we were ready...We used icsi to fertilize our eggs.
The clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] was prompt with any questions or anything we needed. The clinic was clean, easily accessible, and timely...I loved the nursing staff! The main nurse I saw was amazing she showed me how to administer what I needed, she was awesome if I called and had a question, they just made a scary experience so comforting...I signed up for an embryo retrieval with icsi along with a fresh and frozen transfer. The cost for these procedures, along with all ultrasounds and blood work, and medicine came to about 17,000.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman was thorough with our first meeting about how the process worked, etc. He was kind and comforting and if we visited another doctor and he was unsure with the results or response he would reach out immediately and make any necessary changes. After our last failed transfer, he reached out to me with a plan for going forward that we could discuss when we were ready. Not ever pushy.
Do research before going in to the first appointment. Have questions prepared. Be aware there is no guarantee and that they are providing the best care they can. Ask as many questions as possible whenever feeling uncertain.
The news we received after the transfer was not what we wanted. However, he was positive, optimistic and comforting.
We used icsi to fertilize our eggs.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic was prompt with any questions or anything we needed. The clinic was clean, easily accessible, and timely.
When I received my fresh and frozen transfer, I was 31. He felt I was young and healthy enough with no reason to transfer more than one egg.

2010 - 2017
Dr castelbaum is extremely empathetic and caring. He explained thoroughly his concerns with my pcos and extreme follicle growths and the chance of many multiples. He gave me choices and his input which I appreciated... He played with dosage of medication and switched from oral to injectables. He monitored my follicles frequently by ultrasound. Ordered hsg to check for Fallopian tube blockage... As scary as it is, he wants the best for you and to do everybody he can for you he successful
Clean, many locations, quick service, team approach, quiet. The staff [RMA of Phila] are always available for questions and helpful in going over billing and procedures if need. The staff can make you smile even after the worst news and work with you over outrageous outstanding bills... Billing was very helpful. They explained the costs with you prior to procedures and go over insurance policy. They are willing to set up payment plans
2010 - 2017
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Believe in him. As scary as it is, he wants the best for you and to do everybody he can for you he successful
Extremely compassionate. Took time to go over results and the effects of my PCOS
Hardworking, helpful, compsssionate. always smiling
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clean, many locations, quick service, team approach, quiet. The staff are always available for questions and helpful in going over billing and procedures if need. The staff can make you smile even after the worst news and work with you over outrageous outstanding bills
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

I'm glad that Dr. Freedman was my fertility Dr. He was understanding, informative, attentive and punctual. He spent adequate time with me during each visit . He tailored a plan that was great for my condition (PCOS)... was attentive, informative and honest. He made me feel as if my care was a priority and that i mattered...The information and test results i received were always available at the time that was communicated to me at my visit.
The information and test results i received [at RMA of Philadelphia] were always available at the time that was communicated to me at my visit. I received an explanation of all my levels and next course of action so that i was never left in the dark. Every time that i sent an email the nurse Ceil responded within the hour...The clinic staff were inviting and friendly. They knew my name when i walked in and immediately checked me in with ease. I never waited more than 10 minutes to be seen. The clinic was clean and organized.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't hesitate make an appointment TODAY!
Dr Freedman was attentive, informative and honest. He made me feel as if my care was a priority and that i mattered.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Ceil)
The information and test results i received were always available at the time that was communicated to me at my visit. I received an explanation of all my levels and next course of action so that i was never left in the dark. Every time that i sent an email the nurse Ceil responded within the hour.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

I was very likely one of many, many patients he [Dr. Freedman] saw on a regular basis but with each encounter he made me feel like he knew me and he had a personal stake in our dream and our success. He was rooting for me. He personally called me at home the night I finally found out I was pregnant...He was an incredible doctor and empathetic human being. I could not say enough wonderful things about him...
The nurses [at RMA of Phila - Willow Grove] were wonderful. You received a personal call after all labs and provided with the specifics - whether you understood what it meant or not - that was above and beyond. They were compassionate and friendly...Trust him. Ask any question you have to put your mind at ease, but he will provide the best care...
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I was very likely one of many, many patients he saw on a regular basis but with each encounter he made me feel like he knew me and he had a personal stake in our dream and our success. He was rooting for me. He personally called me at home the night I finally found out I was pregnant.
The nurses were wonderful. You received a personal call after all labs and provided with the specifics - whether you understood what it meant or not - that was above and beyond. They were compassionate and friendly.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

Tina [nurse at RMA of Philadelphia] was very nice and she was always very reassuring and showed a lot of patience...The cost was fair, there were discounts because we are low income family...The receptionists were very friendly and knew my name and we became friends throughout my visits...Sometimes he [Dr. Martin Freedman] was quick to go to the next patient, but he always stayed and answered my questions and even set aside over an hour for consultations several times. He always answered my emails very quickly and even called to make sure I was doing ok...He said if I was to get pregnant with IUI it would happen within the first three tries. The first two attempts were unsuccessful for us. We knew there were no other factors causing the infertility so we went for an IVF cycle instead of the third IUI.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
We feel really lucky we found this place, we wish we would have sooner! When I first saw Dr Freedman, I thought he was very nice and I felt comfortable trusting him with my pregnancy. Maybe if you don’t know him too well you will think he doesn’t talk too much but when you know him more after a while, he is very kind and really cares about the patient. I always like to make him smile and laugh haha. Sometimes becoming pregnant is very hard, but when you trust the doctor and believe in yourself, it becomes easier. Now I’m 3 months pregnant, but I had some spotting around 9 weeks and pain 10 weeks and I sent a message to Dr Freedman and he responded very quickly each time, one time he called me on Christmas morning to say I can come to the office for an ultrasound, but everything was fine. I really appreciate that he was worried about me as much as the health of the pregnancy. I hope I can come back for my second pregnancy!
Don’t be afraid to ask questions, and do research online to ask more questions! The more you know the more comfortable you will feel.
Sometimes he was quick to go to the next patient, but he always stayed and answered my questions and even set aside over an hour for consultations several times. He always answered my emails very quickly and even called to make sure I was doing ok.
He thought I was healthy and just hadn’t had good luck getting pregnant on my own so we tried IUI at first. He said if I was to get pregnant with IUI it would happen within the first three tries. The first two attempts were unsuccessful for us. We knew there were no other factors causing the infertility so we went for an IVF cycle instead of the third IUI. Now we are 3 months pregnant and we know that the baby is healthy from the genetic testing and all the screenings.
Tina was very nice and she was always very reassuring and showed a lot of patience
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The receptionists were very friendly and knew my name and we became friends throughout my visits. I wish the office was a little closer to my house. They are close to the mall so sometimes I went shopping after my visit
The cost was fair, there were discounts because we are low income family
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

The staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] was warm, friendly, and knowledgeable...Excellent clinic overall. Try to request your same Dr if possible every visit. It may mean traveling. However, the other doctors I saw for monitoring were very good. But I still liked the continuity of having my Dr each time...3 iui’s, an egg retrieval, polyp removal, and one frozen embryo transfer IVF round...He [Dr. Martin Freedman] strongly recommended single embryo only...He treated me like more than human- I couldn’t imagine one treating one’s own daughter with more genuine kindness, compassion, and warmth. He answered every question patiently and made me feel so personally cared for! He called me at home, responded to emails almost instantly, reassured me when things were rough, calmed my fears, and was there for me in every way conceivable. He personally called to share the news with so much joy in his voice when we got pregnant! I cried on the day we were discharged and my OB doesn’t hold a candle to Dr Freedman.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Between his amazingly prompt replies to questions by email/phone, his phenomenal breadth of knowledge and careful explanations, his sense of humor and warmth, and his gentle reassurance, I was so blessed to meet a Dr like Dr Freedman. I felt like he was a friend personally guiding me every step of the way.
Be prepared with questions and come ready for every appt.
Dr Freedman is the single greatest dr I’ve ever met. He treated me like more than human- I couldn’t imagine one treating one’s own daughter with more genuine kindness, compassion, and warmth. He answered every question patiently and made me feel so personally cared for! He called me at home, responded to emails almost instantly, reassured me when things were rough, calmed my fears, and was there for me in every way conceivable. He personally called to share the news with so much joy in his voice when we got pregnant! I cried on the day we were discharged and my OB doesn’t hold a candle to Dr Freedman.
The staff was warm, friendly, and knowledgeable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
He strongly recommended single embryo only.
2014 - 2019
Dr. Freedman was compassionate and caring! He gave me hope during times that I wanted to give up. When I felt nervous about a few things during the course of treatments, he eased my fears and helped me feel comfortable as possible...He always answered my questions and allowed me to feel supported and cared for...4 IUI’s each for both pregnancies, and for both pregnancies, I ended up conceiving on the 4th IUI. Although statistics show chances decreasing after the third IUi, Dr. Freedman allowed me to stull try 4 IUI’s both times, which was my lucky number!
I dealt with Tina [nurse at RMA of Philadelphia] during both pregnancies. She was amazing, knowledgeable and really got to know me. She made me feel comfortable...I never had anything go wrong at this clinic...Try to get to the clinic as early as possibly, if you are going for bloodwork or treatment before work. Don’t be afraid to ask your doctor any questions you may have. Definitely research your options so your fully aware of your treatment and choices.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Again, Dr. Freedman was compassionate and caring! He gave me hope during times that I wanted to give up. When I felt nervous about a few things during the course of treatments, he eased my fears and helped me feel comfortable as possible.
Ask him as many questions as you need to. He always answered my questions and allowed me to feel supported and cared for.
Dr. Freedman was great! He was the doctor who helped me achieve both pregnancies. He treated me so compassionately and always cares about my well being. He always remembered my history and made me feel so at ease throughout the whole process. I actually went back to him to pursue a third pregnancy. Before I started treatment for that, I ended up miraculously getting pregnant in my own! He wa so caring that he still have me blood tests and early ultrasounds before discharging me to by OB, just to make sure everything was still okay! I recommend him to family and friends!
Clomid and Letrozole, along with Ovidrelinjeections. I also received 4 IUI’s each for both pregnancies, and for both pregnancies, I ended up conceiving on the 4th IUI. Although statistics show chances decreasing after the third IUi, Dr. Freedman allowed me to stull try 4 IUI’s both times, which was my lucky number!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tina)
I dealt with Tina during both pregnancies. She was amazing, knowledgeable and really got to know me. She made me feel comfortable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance covered most services, but I paid out of pocket for Medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I never had anything go wrong at this clinic.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)

Since we are an LGBT couple with no known fertility issues, Dr. Lange recommended starting with IUI using a sperm donor. I did 2 medicated cycles using Letrozole and Ovidrel as a trigger shot. The first round was unsuccessful. The second round resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. We will be moving towards IVF due to the concerns of a higher chance of another ectopic pregnancy...In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer.
IUI cycles [at RMA of Philadelphia] were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications...IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication...The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Allison Lange was very knowledgeable and thorough when she created our treatment plan. She was able to walk us through the plan and answer any questions regarding our specific case. When I had blood work or ultrasounds done, if she was not the doctor on call, she still reviewed all of the results and made the final decisions. When we went through our unfortunate ectopic pregnancy, she was there to tell me the next steps. Dr. Lange went out of her way to personally make arrangements for me and made sure that I understood everything fully. She was very compassionate and made me feel like I was important. After, she personally called to check in on how I was doing physically and emotionally. She set up another appointment to review our treatment plan and answer any questions we may have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
One piece of advice would be to go in with an open mind. She will take the time to review your case and create a plan for you based on your specific needs or goals.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
During our visits Dr. Lange was very welcoming and talked to us about our specific case. Our second IUI ended in an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Lange sat with us and explained everything that was happening and comforted us. She also called after to check in on us following the procedure and creating a new plan.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
The nurses were very compassionate, professional and willing to help. They called the same day with test results when applicable. If I sent an email via the secure portal, I always received an answer promptly.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt as if I was treated as a person and they were still invested in my case.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUI cycles were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication
Describe Allison Lange's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer. I am unsure of other cases.
Allison Lange
King of Prussia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.

Anovulation, Unexplained
Dr. Gutman[n] is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. ... Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her.
The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. ... They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket. ... I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. ...
Anovulation, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. The way she casually talks about the procedure puts you at ease and makes you realize that she has done this a hundred times and knows what she is doing. Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her. Once visit, I told her I was on my way to a baby shower and she said, "Well, if you need me to write you a doctor's note, I will absolutely do that." She understands how hard the journey is but doesn't dwell on it and always pushes forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust the process. She is not a terribly warm individual, especially when you first meet her, but that's because she is still evaluating what the absolute best options are for you. Every time you talk to her, you will be reminded as to why you are in her care. She's great if you like someone who is straight and to the point - no sugarcoating bad news. It might be a long treatment, but she will be invested the entire time and is open to suggestions if you feel as though you'd like to try a different treatment which I appreciated!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Not only Dr. Gutman, but her entire staff were gentle, but not so gentle that I felt they were incompetent. Dr. Gutman is so incredibly passionate about endocrinology and you can tell when you talk to her that she genuinely wants to see you succeed. I never once had to wait long for results and all of my questions were answered - they even didn't mind corresponding via email, which is my preferred method. They made sure I completely understood the entire process and the 'why' behind each step. They also were up front about the odds - no false promises about whether or not it would work. They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket.
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
After our initial consult, she scheduled me for an MRI of the pituitary, which showed a small tumor, meaning that I would very likely not respond to oral medications and advised we go straight to injectables. I began 75iu of Menopur for three days, then after my blood and ultrasound, continued for three more days. I was then bumped up to 150 iu after my estrogen was still &lt;100. I had bloods and ultrasound every 3 days throughout the entire process. I triggered with Ovidrel after day 14 of Menopur and my IUI was performed 32 hours later. I received my period prior to the pregnancy test. Our second IUI followed the same protocol, with 16 days of stims before trigger. This time, she started me at 75IU, but shortly bumped me back up to 150iu, as my estogren dropped after the first three injections. The second IUI resulted in a positive HCG test, but the level was 34 and quickly dropped to 6. I got my period shortly after. Our next IUI baseline is scheduled for this week and will likely follow the same protocol.
I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. Every time they sent results, it felt as though they were experiencing the same emotions as you, whether it was excitement or disappointment. None of the emails they send were carbon copied - they were all completely individualized and answered very quickly. I think the only weakness would be that they sometimes assume that patients have a lot of prior knowledge, so when we had our first IUI, I was not sure exactly what all the terms and medications they were talking about. Now I understand them though.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They have fantastic hours and multiple locations that all work together, so you can go to whichever one they have an appointment at. The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. They don't know how much medications will be, they don't know what your insurance company will cover - that is completely handled by the finance department, so they will often suggest procedures to you without mentioning the price. The staff is amazing otherwise and the clinic is clean and welcoming. It might be a while to get an initial consult but it is worth it!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
The out of pocket IUI package was $1800 and included everything but medication for a full cycle. I paid an additional $1800 for Menopur and $200 for ovidrel. We have no insurance coverage for fertility treatments, monitoring or medication. Total was about $3300 per IUI. We completed two unsuccessful cycles and are beginning our third.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Not applicable for our treament
King of Prussia

Ask this reviewer a question about their experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.

Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful, they are very kind and compassionate individuals and if I have any questions they respond back very quickly via phone or email...Strengths are communication and compassion by each individual, weakness would be the distance because I travel 100 miles and price because they are more expensive than other clinics I have looked at or went to...I feel like she [Dr. Allison Lange] didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person...We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids, Immunological, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
When i first met with dr Lange she thoroughly reviewed my records from previous doctors and cycles and explained how we would approach treatment with her and what to expect. Once I went through an egg retrieval and then frozen transfer which resulted in a chemical, she recommended further testing as far as a miscarriage panel and ERA biopsy. I also recommended some further tests like natural killer cells and she agreed and wrote for it. Once we reviewed all results she took a different approach this time around which i am currently in the process of getting ready for a transfer. We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
You are in good hands with a genuine and kind hearted physician that truly cares about her patients and developes a plan that works for you and if you have any questions or recommendations in your care she will take it into consideration and help as much as possible.
I felt like a human because every time I had questions or concerns Dr Lange would personally reach out to me via phone or in person and explain in detail what was going on. She did not push the work off to a nurse or anyone else. I would ask her what she would do in certain circumstances and she would be honest and tell me what she felt she would do and why. She is very compassionate and recommended different tests that she thought we help me during my treatment. I feel like she didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person.
Unfortunately I don’t have results yet because I am getting ready for another transfer which I discussed earlier the different protocols she is currently using in my care.
Not sure
She recommended single but was willing to do multiple due to recurrent miscarriages but explained the risks
Allison Lange

2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Other
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. ... He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case.
I don't see any weaknesses. It is an exemplary clinic and others should take note of how well it is run not only with efficiency but compassion and kindness as well. I would recommend RMA King of Prussia to anyone seeking ART. ... MA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples. ... The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness ...
2017 - 2019
Male Factor, Tubal Blockage, Other
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum genuinely cares about the patients he works with. He was warm, friendly, and funny when appropriate. He treated me and my partner with the utmost respect and dignity. He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case. I absolutely love being a patient of his and wish all doctors had the knowledge and kindness he freely displays.
Take him over any other doctor, he is truly one of a kind.
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is a wonderful man and doctor to work with.
We did a fairly aggressive antagonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur then Cetrotide. I responded extremely well to the protocol. At retrieval I had 25 eggs, with 23 being mature. 16 fertilized with ICSI and 8 embryos made it to day 5 for PGS biopsy and freezing. I did not respond well to the oral/vaginal estrogen, so we performed a mini-stim protocol for the FET. I did 10 days of follistim 75IU injections, with PIO starting a few days before transfer. Unfortunately the transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am hoping to generate more embryos before prepping for a new FET.
The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness. My husband was undergoing cancer treatment while I was going through IVF-FET and they always made sure to check in to see how he was doing. I loved everyone on the staff.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I had insurance coverage so the total cost of meds plus treatment was under $5000 total.
RMA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples.

2014 - 2019
I wish I would see Dr. Freedman more often as well as hear from him throughout a cycle. I know he is making decisions behind the scenes, but I usually only hear about them through the nursing team. He makes small adjustments as needed, but I'm not always aware of what those changes are expected to accomplish.... Several times Dr. Freedman has called late at night to discuss results and discuss next steps.
The clinic [RMA of PA- King of Prussia] has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.... Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Come with lots of questions and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself.
My first retrieval I did 2 weeks of birth control followed by an antagonist protocol. Part way through my Menopur dosage was raised. I stimmed for 11 days and retrieved 8 eggs, all were mature, 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to blast. Both came back mosaic. My second protocol we eliminated the birth control because Dr. Freedman thought it may have over suppressed me and we could get more eggs. Same medicine and we retrieved 13 eggs, 8 were mature, 6 fertilized, and none made it to blast. We were shocked and have no good reason why it happened. I am planning a microdose lupron protocol next month.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.
Currently covered by insurance
He is very adamant that single is best, especially at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved.

Poor Egg Quality, Other
Communication [RMA of Phil] is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not.
Poor Egg Quality, Other
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
We went to Dr. Freedman based on a recommendation. However, we barely saw him or spoke to him. He put us on some medications and supplements and then we had a retrieval 2 weeks later. Both our retrievals resulted in eggs but they didn't fertilize. However, after the second he said there is nothing he can do for us and we should look at adoption and/or donor eggs. I spoke with other doctors who said that it would take a minimum of three months for the metphormin and supplements to fully make an effect on my body which he didn't give a chance. When we went through the percentages in the beginning it wasn't until the third chance where we would reach a higher percentage chance. We weren't given a proper explanation when we were told this almost a week after our retrieval (the week was the worst). I believe the clinic is more concerned with their national success rates.
If you prescribe and recommend medication and supplements, give the patients a fair chance in allowing them to work. Also, provide better communication methods if you are not available have another doctor call. Do not leave hopeful patients waiting for over a week to get any answers.
we were in and out and although dr freedman and guttman knew us, the rest were nice but were like an assembly line.
VERY high dose shots of Gonal F/Follostim with Menopur and then a trigger shot (cetrocide).
Most of the nurses were nice. Jen though was only nice sometimes and not too personable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Communication is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not. ifeel that they should provide you with the same numbers each time and then when you are on another round, they should give you your previous to compare to versus us trying to keep track of it all.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
when we went in for our procedure, they had it noted that it would be a transfer although i was under the impression it was a freeze all....after i mentioned it twice they checked and realized they had the wrong thing noted.
King of Prussia

I really like Dr Gutmann. She's present when I'm with her, I think she definitely considers me as an individual in my treatment, she answers my questions, she has a sense of humor, and she's empathetic. My only issue is it's hard to actually see her. An appointment takes a while to get if I want to talk to her/reassess. I usually end up seeing one of the other Drs on call when I go due to my cycle and the Drs schedules... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic [RMA] is clean...Really like the nursing staff here, they're all sweet. In the beginning I had some confusion- I guess they're used to people coming in for multiple cycles and knowing the routine, but at first I didn't know what the steps were and not everything was fully explained. Once I got used to the basic routine, it was fine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I feel like I did this a few questions ago... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc. I wish I could see her for all of my appointments for continuity, but I usually end up seeing a different Dr due to my cycle and the schedules of the Drs on call.
That FYI, you won't be dealing with just her, you get whichever Dr is in. Which isn't bad, they're all good. It would just be nice for continuity and questions.
I started out the first cycle without drugs because I got pregnant easily the first time. Second cycle I used Letrosol because there is supposedly a slightly lower risk of multiples than Clomid. Didn't like the side effects of Letrosol. Next 3 cycles with Clomid and Ovedril. 5 cycles total of IUI. About to start trying with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic is clean. I've brought my 4 year old daughter to most visits with me and they always welcome her and give her stickers.
$1200 per cycle for IUI, then additional cost of buying donor sperm online.
We haven't really dealt with this yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
One time I wasn't called to be told I needed Ovidril for a cycle until the pharmacy was already closed and I was supposed to take it that night.

Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
He [Dr. Castelbaum] is very responsive by email... very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed... If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
The nurses and other staff in the surgery center [at RMA] are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day... They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff.
Male Factor, Poor Egg Quality
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed. He is very responsive by email, as are the nurses who work at RMA.
Don't shy away from asking questions, even if you are bumping up against the limits of knowledge in the field of Reproductive Endocrinology. If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
Dr. Castelbaum and the RMA staff are busy, but take the time to greet and talk with everyone. This is especially true in the surgery center--the nurses there are truly kind and caring. The office usually runs on time and seems to prioritize getting patients in and out of the office within a reasonable amount of time. If there is something you need, they will put you in touch with the right person to get your questions answered.
My first protocol was a typical antagonist protocol. It went worse than expected, given my age and other lab test results, but still yielded mature eggs that fertilized with ICSI. We decided to have another egg retrieval in order to bank more embryos prior to doing a transfer. Dr. Castelbaum recommended a micro flare protocol, which unfortunately yielded no mature eggs. We are trying again with another antagonist protocol.
The RMA nurses are excellent and very communicative. They are also very compassionate and take the time to get to know you as a patient. They are quick to respond to email and phone calls. In any case, it is still important to take the time to keep yourself organized when it comes to your medication supply and dates for upcoming cycles, and notify them quickly if you notice any problems or discrepancies.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA as a clinic is excellent. They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff. The nurses and other staff in the surgery center are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day.

Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success...Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
They [nurses at RMA] literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support...They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice.
Anovulation, Endometriosis, Tubal Blockage, Recurrent Pregnancy Loss
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
My husband and I went through over two years of fertility treatment before welcoming our daughter. This included an IUI cycle that resulted in the premature birth and loss of a son at 22 weeks of pregnancy, three ectopic pregnancies during subsequent monitored and/or IUI cycles, removal of my Fallopian tubes, and one cycle of IVF. Through it all, Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success.
Don't be afraid to take notes. You will have questions, and Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
Dr. Gutmann individualized treatment each cycle. Each time we failed, she would call - no matter the time of day or the day of the week - to review what had happened and plan next steps. She was sympathetic and helped us maintain a positive attitude through some very difficult losses. She never once made us think she she didn't believe we'd ultimately find success.
For my IUI cycles, I took 5 mg of Femara on days 4-8 and was monitored via bloodwork and ultrasound before IUI. For my IVF cycle, I underwent an antagonist protocol with follistim and menopur before freezing my embryos and surgically removing my tubes. My FET cycle involved orsl and vaginal estrace, as well as baby aspirin, estrogen patches, and eventually both progesterone in oil injections and Crinone. Adjustments were made after each monitoring appointment as we went.
The nurses at RMA are excellent! They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice. They literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Treatment at RMA is flexible and individualized. They open early at 7 am each morning for monitoring, and will readily call back even if you try to get in touch after hours or on weekends. They're open 365 days per year and will work with you to design treatment plans that cater to your specific situation.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Philadelphia.
Monitoring innthe mornings was well-run. Rarely would I wait more than 15 minutes, and rarely were patients overscheduled, but if I required and early-morning appointment they were always able to squeeze me in during a convenient time. The clinic strikes a great balance between giving patients their time and making sure everyone is seen.
The clinic offers various treatment package, including a shared-risk program for IVF. For us, we were lucky that insurance covered most of our testing and procedures. We only paid co-pays and coinsurance.
Due to my age and history of pregnancy loss due to cervical insufficiency, Dr. Gutmann and I both agreed to transfer only one embryo at a time.

Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
Dr. Gutman was compassionate, but realistic, which we appreciated. In a good way, there was no sugarcoating. She was patient with us as we slowly accepted our need for more aggressive fertility treatments in order to have the family we imagined. All the while, she provided clear explanations about procedures and helped us understand our options... She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We love that that clinic [RMA] is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medication
Diminished Ovarian Reserve, Unexplained
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We thought Dr. Gutman was terrific, and she will always hold a special place in our hearts for bringing us to a place where we now have the family we desired. Along the way, we appreciated her no-nonsense, upfront explanations of the way things were, step by step, good or bad. That might not work for everyone.
There was conversation between Dr. Gutmann and us, not just dry clinical conversation. She also genuinely seemed to be on the ride with us, wanting us to succeed. When our first cycle failed, she called with condolences and I believe she truly was heartbroken for us. She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We were at another clinic first, but felt the care was lacking, so when we came to Dr. Gutman we had already been through the first steps of trying to overcome fertility, which was artificial insemination for us. It failed. With Dr. Gutman, we went right into egg retrieval, which was, unfortunately, not successful. We felt she was responsibly prudent with her dosages of the fertility medications, which included Bravelle and others I can't remember at this time. Something else--during initial conversations with Dr. Gutman, once we revealed we were hoping to have two children and transferring multiple embryos would be welcome, she (once again, responsibly) declined to participate such treatment, for the sake of baby's health and mom's health. As much as we really would have loved a two-for-one, we knew she was right and stuck with her and her professional opinion that we trusted.
They were all very friendly, professional, and sensitive. We always felt welcomed, warmly received, and like they were interested where we were on our journey. (Part of the reason we left the first clinic we tried was because of the nursing staff. Indifference and insensitivity come to mind in thinking about them.)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We love that that clinic is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medications. One dark spot in all the wonderfulness we experienced with Dr. Gutman and RMA came from the billing director out of the Willow Grove office. When our IVF cycle was canceled because there weren't any eggs to retrieve, the refund process was explained to us by the woman who handed billing in King of Prussia (she was wonderful). When it came time to enact the refund, her supervisor (that would be the woman in Willow Grove) got involved and was very abrupt and unfriendly with us, seemingly because either we misunderstood how we would be refunded, or because the woman in King of Prussia explained it to us incorrectly. We've always wondered if the King of Prussia woman got into trouble for either offering to give us a refund in a way that wasn't allowed, or for misleading us.
$18,000 for the failed IVF and egg retrieval $6,000 for the medications $3,000 ICSI genetic testing for the embryos Don't remember how much the frozen egg and embryo transfer process cost
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Actually, it was probably at the Willow Grove clinic. It was that whole billing thing I mentioned in my last essay response!

2011 - 2012
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else..At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement.
RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She [Dr. Gutmann] didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos...Everyone was on time, focused on my protocol and comfort, as well as communicated in a timely fashion...There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not.
2011 - 2012
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else
Be a young patient with financial resources
At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement. I didn't wait too long to try infertility treatment on purpose. I didn't have insurance and I had other personal issues that interfered with pursuing fertility. I still believe I can get pregnant. I am also disappointed that she didn't recommend acupuncture early on or start me on metformin
My cycle is fairly regular. We used medicine like cloud and letrizole to induce ovulation along with hug injection to facilitate ovulation before undergoing IUI. This was followed by topical progesterone as I had a little dip in mid cycle progesterone level. I was never told I had poor eggs. We wanted to do IVF but I couldn't afford it. All of my blood work was ok. I also had a removal of uterine polyp which was small but she wanted to make sure that there was no problem with embryos implantation
No negative comments
Co pays were in line with my insurance. There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not. My insurance would have paid for the injectable medication if it were given in a medical short procedure unit. They said they didn't do it that way. I was not able to get full benefit of IVF due to these hurdles. I work in healthcare. I am able to be responsible for my own care. The drug cost was out of my control and I guess it was out of their control. I decided to pursue embryos donation. RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos
King of Prussia

Dr. Guttman is extremely informed of current research and trends. She provides as much information as you ask her for--ask lots of questions if you want more info. She tends to regulate the information she gives on the patient's needs. And doesn't get tired on answering questions, ever...was very attentive, and adapted to my needs in how she treated me. She was especially supportive and empathetic if I was ever in pain during a test or procedure, she checked in on me regularly and didn't rush when I asked additional information about further research and context.
I had to request they [RMA of Philadelphia] send information to my primary care doctor a few times before it was completed. Also, they didn't let me know my thyroid results were super high before the last insemination...As a single woman in this process, the warmth of the clinic substantially helped my sense of loneliness at being in this journey. The staff became my community I could count on for a smile everytime. weaknesses: only thing on my last insemination, didn't give me thyroid blood tests back before the insemination.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask lots of questions, you'll find a wealth of information. Check test results before your insemination, too.
Dr. Guttman was very attentive, and adapted to my needs in how she treated me. She was especially supportive and empathetic if I was ever in pain during a test or procedure, she checked in on me regularly and didn't rush when I asked additional information about further research and context.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
Loved Kelly, I was excited everytime I saw her, extremely warm, compassionate, and professional, too.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: they are extremely organized, give timely call-backs, and are super-clean, and super friendly. June always said hi warmly when I arrived and remembered me offering comfort. As a single woman in this process, the warmth of the clinic substantially helped my sense of loneliness at being in this journey. The staff became my community I could count on for a smile everytime. weaknesses: only thing on my last insemination, didn't give me thyroid blood tests back before the insemination.
costs were excellent, mostly covered by my insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I had to request they send information to my primary care doctor a few times before it was completed. Also, they didn't let me know my thyroid results were super high before the last insemination.