1151 Old York Rd
1015 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556

Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Gutman[n] is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. ... Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her.
The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. ... They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket. ... I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. ...
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. The way she casually talks about the procedure puts you at ease and makes you realize that she has done this a hundred times and knows what she is doing. Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her. Once visit, I told her I was on my way to a baby shower and she said, "Well, if you need me to write you a doctor's note, I will absolutely do that." She understands how hard the journey is but doesn't dwell on it and always pushes forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust the process. She is not a terribly warm individual, especially when you first meet her, but that's because she is still evaluating what the absolute best options are for you. Every time you talk to her, you will be reminded as to why you are in her care. She's great if you like someone who is straight and to the point - no sugarcoating bad news. It might be a long treatment, but she will be invested the entire time and is open to suggestions if you feel as though you'd like to try a different treatment which I appreciated!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Not only Dr. Gutman, but her entire staff were gentle, but not so gentle that I felt they were incompetent. Dr. Gutman is so incredibly passionate about endocrinology and you can tell when you talk to her that she genuinely wants to see you succeed. I never once had to wait long for results and all of my questions were answered - they even didn't mind corresponding via email, which is my preferred method. They made sure I completely understood the entire process and the 'why' behind each step. They also were up front about the odds - no false promises about whether or not it would work. They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket.
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
After our initial consult, she scheduled me for an MRI of the pituitary, which showed a small tumor, meaning that I would very likely not respond to oral medications and advised we go straight to injectables. I began 75iu of Menopur for three days, then after my blood and ultrasound, continued for three more days. I was then bumped up to 150 iu after my estrogen was still &lt;100. I had bloods and ultrasound every 3 days throughout the entire process. I triggered with Ovidrel after day 14 of Menopur and my IUI was performed 32 hours later. I received my period prior to the pregnancy test. Our second IUI followed the same protocol, with 16 days of stims before trigger. This time, she started me at 75IU, but shortly bumped me back up to 150iu, as my estogren dropped after the first three injections. The second IUI resulted in a positive HCG test, but the level was 34 and quickly dropped to 6. I got my period shortly after. Our next IUI baseline is scheduled for this week and will likely follow the same protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. Every time they sent results, it felt as though they were experiencing the same emotions as you, whether it was excitement or disappointment. None of the emails they send were carbon copied - they were all completely individualized and answered very quickly. I think the only weakness would be that they sometimes assume that patients have a lot of prior knowledge, so when we had our first IUI, I was not sure exactly what all the terms and medications they were talking about. Now I understand them though.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They have fantastic hours and multiple locations that all work together, so you can go to whichever one they have an appointment at. The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. They don't know how much medications will be, they don't know what your insurance company will cover - that is completely handled by the finance department, so they will often suggest procedures to you without mentioning the price. The staff is amazing otherwise and the clinic is clean and welcoming. It might be a while to get an initial consult but it is worth it!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
The out of pocket IUI package was $1800 and included everything but medication for a full cycle. I paid an additional $1800 for Menopur and $200 for ovidrel. We have no insurance coverage for fertility treatments, monitoring or medication. Total was about $3300 per IUI. We completed two unsuccessful cycles and are beginning our third.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Not applicable for our treament
King of Prussia
Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment...Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Strengths and weaknesses Dr. Schlaff was knowledgeable, compassionate, warm, and direct. He made several small adjustments during my cycle that I truly believe made a difference in our outcome, such as delaying our retrieval by two days to allow for more follicles to mature (resulting in a couple more eggs being retrieved than would have otherwise) and also delaying our FET because I had fluid in my uterus. He adjusted medications to reduce the fluid down to almost none by transfer day. I found him to be an excellent communicator and felt from the beginning that no matter the outcome, we would have been satisfied that we gave it one last try under his care. I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Schlaff to anyone and can think of no weaknesses whatsoever.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do not hesitate to meet with him if you are thinking about undergoing fertility treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Prior to being treated by Dr. Schlaff, I was seen at a different clinic where I rarely saw or spoke with my main physician and was seen by different doctors, nurses, and ultrasound techs at each visit. I was seen at this prior clinic over the course of two years for 4 IUIs and 2 IVF cycles (none successful) and saw my original doctor a total of 3 times. This was my baseline experience with infertility treatment prior to deciding to switch clinics. From the very first time I met Dr. Schlaff, I knew my experience would be different. Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment. The emotional and mental aspect of our treatment was never addressed or considered at the prior clinic. Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Shannon)
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: small number of doctors at each practice location, so you see the same couple of doctors every time; monitoring ultrasounds are all performed by the physicians; continuity of care with both doctors and nurses; friendly and professional office staff; knowledgable financial coordinator Weaknesses: weekend monitoring at a different office was less convenient for me than the weekday office location I believe that the attentiveness of Dr. Schlaff and the other practitioners at the clinic made the all the difference in our successful outcome, especially since I went to his clinic years later than my prior clinic where I had multiple failed IUIs and IVF cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia.
self-pay: 18K for single IVF cycle with PGS and ERA biopsy, including meds, though some meds were covered by insurance
William Schlaff
Philadelphia
Since we are an LGBT couple with no known fertility issues, Dr. Lange recommended starting with IUI using a sperm donor. I did 2 medicated cycles using Letrozole and Ovidrel as a trigger shot. The first round was unsuccessful. The second round resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. We will be moving towards IVF due to the concerns of a higher chance of another ectopic pregnancy...In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer.
IUI cycles [at RMA of Philadelphia] were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications...IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication...The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Allison Lange was very knowledgeable and thorough when she created our treatment plan. She was able to walk us through the plan and answer any questions regarding our specific case. When I had blood work or ultrasounds done, if she was not the doctor on call, she still reviewed all of the results and made the final decisions. When we went through our unfortunate ectopic pregnancy, she was there to tell me the next steps. Dr. Lange went out of her way to personally make arrangements for me and made sure that I understood everything fully. She was very compassionate and made me feel like I was important. After, she personally called to check in on how I was doing physically and emotionally. She set up another appointment to review our treatment plan and answer any questions we may have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
One piece of advice would be to go in with an open mind. She will take the time to review your case and create a plan for you based on your specific needs or goals.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
During our visits Dr. Lange was very welcoming and talked to us about our specific case. Our second IUI ended in an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Lange sat with us and explained everything that was happening and comforted us. She also called after to check in on us following the procedure and creating a new plan.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses were very compassionate, professional and willing to help. They called the same day with test results when applicable. If I sent an email via the secure portal, I always received an answer promptly.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt as if I was treated as a person and they were still invested in my case.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUI cycles were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication
Describe Allison Lange's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer. I am unsure of other cases.
Allison Lange
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Guttman[n] has been a perfect balance of no-nonsense and compassion. She doesn't sugar coat and gets right to the point (which I greatly appreciate), but when I had my miscarriage she was gentle, compassionate, and sympathetic. She has always answered and addressed my questions (even the crazier ones), and I feel very comfortable and confident continuing treatment with her.
I can't say enough good things about RMA. Because of my work schedule I am in different parts of the metro area every day, and have been able to schedule treatments and appointments different offices (Philly, Willow Grove, and KOP) to fit my needs. Despite my jumping around, every doctor and nurse I've seen has had full knowledge of my file and treatment plan, and my primary Dr. has always followed up with me directly.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman has been a perfect balance of no-nonsense and compassion. She doesn't sugar coat and gets right to the point (which I greatly appreciate), but when I had my miscarriage she was gentle, compassionate, and sympathetic. She has always answered and addressed my questions (even the crazier ones), and I feel very comfortable and confident continuing treatment with her.
See her.
While I've seen other doctors for monitoring and gotten test results from nurses, Dr. Guttman herself has always checked in with me regularly to explain next steps and answer any questions. Even though I dont get to see her in person often due to my schedule, I've never felt like she didn't know who I was or what was going on.
When I first went in, Dr. Guttman immediately suggested a medicated cycle with IUI. I wasn't mentally prepared to start treatment right away, so she suggested trying Ovasitol and prescribed a thyroid medication. Over the next few months, RMA checked in on me periodically and Dr. Guttman continued to monitor my thyroid levels and adjust my medication accordingly. Once my husband and I were ready to begin treatment, his sperm was tested and I went in for baseline monitoring and an HSG. I was prescribed Clomid, and once my follicles were the appropriate size, Ovidrel. I had an IUI 36 hours later. I got pregnant on the first try, but unfortunately miscarried at 7 weeks and subsequently had a D&C. I am currently waiting for my HCG levels to return to 0. Once my period returns (and assuming "elective procedures" are possible given COVID-19), I'll be undergoing a hysteroscopy to help determine our next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff has been fantastic. If I had questions or concerns that they were not able to address immediately, I always got a follow up from them within a few hours.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance has covered most of my treatment so far, with the obvious exception of copays. The billing department gave me a vey clear break-down: if my pants come off, it's considered a specialist visit and I have a copay. If I'm just coming in for bloodwork, I don't have a copay. I've only had to pay for one medication out-of-pocket (Ovidrel), but the clinic referred me to a specialty pharmacy where I was able to get it for a low price.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Prepare questions. She [Dr. Gutmann] will answer them, but as others have said, your time is limited. She will always answer questions though. I read these docs often do over 50 monitoring appointments from 7-9, for context. So she wouldn’t go into a monologue about my treatment plan, but always more than happy to explain my treatment plan...struck the perfect balance of warm yet clearly well researched. She always started with a check in and often a joke, then dove into the science of what she was seeing... balance of bedside manner and intellectual prowess were so good that, as dreaded as the process could be (and it was since I had a miscarriage at first), We still always looked forward to seeing her.
[RMA of Philadelphia is an] Awesome practice. I worked with many different docs here. Sort of like the 3 little bears, some of these docs were too optimistic, some too dry, but Dr. Gutman was the perfect balance for me...There are a ton of nurses. I probably worked with at least 5 different nurses, all extremely warm and thorough. I was always surprised how patient and detailed they were with all my questions because I was admittedly high strung/anxious and had soooo many questions...I have great insurance so costs we’re $40 copays, trigger shot was $100, other meds $60....total costs under $1,000.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman’s balance of bedside manner and intellectual prowess were so good that, as dreaded as the process could be (and it was since I had a miscarriage at first), We still always looked forward to seeing her.
Prepare questions. She will answer them, but as others have said, your time is limited. She will always answer questions though. I read these docs often do over 50 monitoring appointments from 7-9, for context. So she wouldn’t go into a monologue about my treatment plan, but always more than happy to explain my treatment plan.
Dr. G struck the perfect balance of warm yet clearly well researched. She always started with a check in and often a joke, then dove into the science of what she was seeing.
First 9 weeks was just monitoring because, against all odds, my first appt revealed my first natural pregnancy. We lost this baby and Dr. G was great, and suggested a slightly more aggressive approach of letrizol, progesterone, trigger shot, and IUI which we did. I ended up bleeding and having low hcg levels, which made me very anxious and I asked to terminate the pregnancy rather than finish what I thought was a miscarriage. From there, doc monitored me for 9 weeks, even answering my questions by phone immediately before the holidays. At week 9 Dr. G graduated me because against the odds, this pregnancy looks viable. Nurse still did follow up after final appt. it was a great process- wish I could stay w dr. G a couple more weeks because of my anxiety, but I understand that a reproductive specialist has to draw a clear line of time to move on to OB.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Awesome practice. I worked with many different docs here. Sort of like the 3 little bears, some of these docs were too optimistic, some too dry, but Dr. Gutman was the perfect balance for me. She never offered false hope or vague statements the other doctors sometimes made, like “it is what it is” or “we don’t know yet so we’re just going to assume it will all work out.” Instead, she’d joke with us, empathize with our losses, but report only in terms of science, e.g. baby is x% of growth margin or whatever. This was perfect for us...we wanted the facts, and her warmth made the delivery of these more tolerable.
Treated 2019 - 2020
I saw Dr. Gutmann 4-5 times initially, during the various exploratory & diagnostic phases (consultation, a monitored clomid cycle, HSG, blood and semen tests, etc.) that led to unexplained fertility diagnosis. While not stereotypically warm and fuzzy, she has a great style that really clicked for us: remembering personal details and preferences/goals, informed by the latest science, with a bit of dry humor thrown in there...First semen analysis showed slightly low sperm count and motility. She recommended supplements.
Every single nurse (of the 4-5 I saw regularly) was amazing [at RMA of Philadelphia] with one exception. She was very nice, but seemed to want to reassure me rather than educate me...said they would bill us for anything not covered, up to the cost of their out-of-pocket plan ($14k excluding medication). Overall I felt like I was in great, responsive, competent hands...Started at 400iu Follistim, but as my estrogen levels climbed sky high they switched me to daily monitoring & bloodwork, and tweaked dosage every day.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann's style is not stereotypically warm and fuzzy, but it really clicked for me. She was willing to explain anything and make a recommendation but left the decisions up to us, with no pressure. She has a great dry humor, remembered some details about my personal life, and mainly showed she cared through a detailed treatment plan, and being super responsive with constant monitoring/adjustments in the lead-up to retrieval. Monitoring visits & even transfer day were provided by a rotating team of doctors and NPs. I saw at least 5 in a single, well-monitored IVF cycle. Initially I was disappointed that Dr. Gutmann didn't personally, but I ended up feeling more knowledgeable thru the mix of different styles. Some talked millimeters and probability, others were great at giving a sneak peek at next few steps, everyone was 100% dialed on my records. Emails were returned very quickly, sometimes within the hour.
1. First semen analysis showed slightly low sperm count and motility. She recommended supplements. My husband also decided to cut from ~3-6 beers a week to 1. Three mos later Dr. Gutmann said test results had rebounded so well that she thought one of the tests was inaccurate, and the answer was most likely somewhere in between. 2. We weren't ready to fully dive into IVF yet so our first step was a Clomid + timed intercourse cycle. 1 ultrasound monitoring appt showed 5 eggs. Negative test. 3. Dr. Gutmann informed us of a research opportunity that would pay for the entire IVF cycle except medication. This sort of kick-started our commitment, but I got busy for 2 months and put off the diagnostic tests. Study was closed to my age bracket by then but we decided to go ahead anyway. 4. IVF cycle with injectables. Started at 400iu Follistim, but as my estrogen levels climbed sky high they switched me to daily monitoring & bloodwork, and tweaked dosage every day. Inconvenient, but great care. On trigger day I screwed up a medication pickup and did not have the prescribed trigger med at home. The doctor on call was great about prescribing an alternative w that I could do within the hour. He explained this alternative would put me at higher risk for OHSS, but they would monitor me closely.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Every single nurse (of the 4-5 I saw regularly) was amazing with one exception. She was very nice, but seemed to want to reassure me rather than educate me, and in 1 case had a small miscommunication about where to phone in an updated prescription. She was fine, just a 4/5 instead of 5.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Fairly big team, so it should have felt impersonal but didn't. Supervising doc is always on top of the plan, and everyone made a personal connection. Monitoring appointments in Center City were very convenient. Usually waited 5 minutes, with 1-2 exceptions. 8am seems to be busiest, so before or after is faster. Weekends in the Valley Forge local were an annoying haul, but worth it in the end. Financially the jury's still out. My insurance had limited coverage for IVF, so they submitted various components of my testing and care separately. Some have been reimbursed and is still pending. RMA said they would bill us for anything not covered, up to the cost of their out-of-pocket plan ($14k excluding medication). Overall I felt like I was in great, responsive, competent hands.
Yes, doctor had strong preference to transfer 1 for goal of healthy singleton pregnancy.
Treated 2020
I naively thought I’d get pregnant immediately with IUI. By addressing my concerns, questions, and even frustrations with Dr. Freedman as my doctor, I felt heard, valued, and cared for by him. He is a doctor who really cares about his patients and wants to make their dreams come true...always reached out by phone and when I emailed him, he’d respond right away or even just pick up the phone. I didn’t always see Dr. Freedman because I lived closer to another office, but we were always in communication. He always knew when I was coming in and did really kind things like call to see how I was doing or call to wish me good luck. When the results of a positive pregnancy test came into the office, he called me immediately. Ther
Denise [nurse at RMA of Philadelphia] always called when she said she would, gave me detailed information and directions about what was happening, explained treatments and medications to me very carefully, and always did so with a smile, great warmth, and compassion...The front office staff was always very kind and helpful to me. I can’t say anything bad about anyone that I saw at Willow Grove (now Abington), Langhorne, or King of Prussia. After a while the staff knows your name, asks you questions, and become very friendly. They often know what you need or what you will ask before you do sometimes and if they cannot answer your questions, they are sure to find someone such as the nurse or doctor who can.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I was feeling pretty hopeless after 4 IUIs (negative pregnancy test each time), one failed IVF cycle with a chromosomally abnormal embryo but I had an opportunity to try a second IVF cycle, which resulted in a positive pregnancy test. Despite numerous disappointments and other setbacks, Dr. Freedman always reached out by phone and when I emailed him, he’d respond right away or even just pick up the phone. I didn’t always see Dr. Freedman because I lived closer to another office, but we were always in communication. He always knew when I was coming in and did really kind things like call to see how I was doing or call to wish me good luck. When the results of a positive pregnancy test came into the office, he called me immediately. There are many more examples of Dr. Freedman’s care, but I always felt well taken care of by him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
The most important advice I can give is to be patient. Your journey to conceive will rarely be how you anticipate. After setbacks, the Coronavirus pandemic, which impacted cycles, and other things I could not control, nor could RMA, I learned that the IUI/IVF process is not what you might expect it to be. I naively thought I’d get pregnant immediately with IUI. By addressing my concerns, questions, and even frustrations with Dr. Freedman as my doctor, I felt heard, valued, and cared for by him. He is a doctor who really cares about his patients and wants to make their dreams come true.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman was very kind and compassionate, especially when delivering any kind of news, changing treatments, modifying cycles. He was patient and listened carefully to my needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
Denise was a fantastic nurse who was everything a patient could hope for when going through a process like this — repeatedly. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic I switched offices from the Willow Grove office to Langhorne since it was closer to my house. I would see Denise and Dr. Castelbaum there but they would both communicate with Dr. Freedman and relay messages back and forth. Aside from that, Denise always called when she said she would, gave me detailed information and directions about what was happening, explained treatments and medications to me very carefully, and always did so with a smile, great warmth, and compassion.

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. ... He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case.
I don't see any weaknesses. It is an exemplary clinic and others should take note of how well it is run not only with efficiency but compassion and kindness as well. I would recommend RMA King of Prussia to anyone seeking ART. ... MA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples. ... The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness ...
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum genuinely cares about the patients he works with. He was warm, friendly, and funny when appropriate. He treated me and my partner with the utmost respect and dignity. He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case. I absolutely love being a patient of his and wish all doctors had the knowledge and kindness he freely displays.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Take him over any other doctor, he is truly one of a kind.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is a wonderful man and doctor to work with.
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We did a fairly aggressive antagonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur then Cetrotide. I responded extremely well to the protocol. At retrieval I had 25 eggs, with 23 being mature. 16 fertilized with ICSI and 8 embryos made it to day 5 for PGS biopsy and freezing. I did not respond well to the oral/vaginal estrogen, so we performed a mini-stim protocol for the FET. I did 10 days of follistim 75IU injections, with PIO starting a few days before transfer. Unfortunately the transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am hoping to generate more embryos before prepping for a new FET.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness. My husband was undergoing cancer treatment while I was going through IVF-FET and they always made sure to check in to see how he was doing. I loved everyone on the staff.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
I had insurance coverage so the total cost of meds plus treatment was under $5000 total.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples.
Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Gutmann] always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing...is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results.
Throughout both cycles [of IUI at RMA of Philadelphia] there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation...The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process... Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results. I felt very comfortable in her presence and confident in the treatment decisions that she made throughout my care. She understood how crazy the back and forth almost daily visits at times for monitoring could be and did her best to take my life/work schedule into consideration. I don't know that I could have had a better experience. She truly made this very stressful process go much smoother than I ever anticipated. I am blessed to have found such an amazing fertility Dr.
Dr. Gutmann is straight forward when it comes to describing your care, potential issues, all of your potential options. She doesn't sugar coat the facts, but she also lets you know she is here to help and fight with you through the entire process. My percentages for a successful pregnancy were extremely low and she was up front with that, but also had a thorough game plan in place to beat those odds. She is determined and very skilled at what she does.
Dr. Gutmann was always very warm and determined to help me achieve my dreams of becoming a mother. She is very straight forward and honest when answering questions, but always was there responding to my anxieties and helping me through this often stressful process. She always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing.
My first cycle began with Clomid and Ovedril leading to my IUI. My second cycle we used Letrozole to regulate my ovulation and Ovedril prior to the IUI. Throughout both cycles there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process. They returned phone calls and emails promptly and were always following up to ensure that you had all medications needed and thoroughly understood your next steps. The team there works amazingly well together. I am sad to leave and transition back to my OBGYN for monitoring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
All of the staff at RMA is warm, friendly, and thorough. Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
With each visit I had a $30 copay. All other treatment was covered except the cost of my donor sperm. I had to pay out of pocket for two rounds of donor sperm which ran around $2000.
Treated 2018 - 2019
The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful, they are very kind and compassionate individuals and if I have any questions they respond back very quickly via phone or email...Strengths are communication and compassion by each individual, weakness would be the distance because I travel 100 miles and price because they are more expensive than other clinics I have looked at or went to...I feel like she [Dr. Allison Lange] didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person...We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
When i first met with dr Lange she thoroughly reviewed my records from previous doctors and cycles and explained how we would approach treatment with her and what to expect. Once I went through an egg retrieval and then frozen transfer which resulted in a chemical, she recommended further testing as far as a miscarriage panel and ERA biopsy. I also recommended some further tests like natural killer cells and she agreed and wrote for it. Once we reviewed all results she took a different approach this time around which i am currently in the process of getting ready for a transfer. We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
You are in good hands with a genuine and kind hearted physician that truly cares about her patients and developes a plan that works for you and if you have any questions or recommendations in your care she will take it into consideration and help as much as possible.
I felt like a human because every time I had questions or concerns Dr Lange would personally reach out to me via phone or in person and explain in detail what was going on. She did not push the work off to a nurse or anyone else. I would ask her what she would do in certain circumstances and she would be honest and tell me what she felt she would do and why. She is very compassionate and recommended different tests that she thought we help me during my treatment. I feel like she didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person.
Unfortunately I don’t have results yet because I am getting ready for another transfer which I discussed earlier the different protocols she is currently using in my care.
Not sure
She recommended single but was willing to do multiple due to recurrent miscarriages but explained the risks
Allison Lange
King of Prussia
IVF was [Dr. Martin Freedman's] first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos...is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
RMA really knows what they're doing, and I never felt like I was a number. Information was always relayed to me the same day from the nurses, and if I had any specific questions my doctor would respond to me directly via email as well. All scheduling was always simple, and financing explained all the information for my insurance and then self pay options clearly...IVF was the first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Doctor Freedman is one of the kindest and most empathetic doctors I have ever had. It was a long process, however from my first consult I knew I was in the right hands. Every set back we had, I never doubted my doctor and knew we would have the end result we had been waiting for. I can't recommend him enough.
IVF is a long and sometimes confusing process, Doctor Freedman is at the top of his field. Trust the information he’s providing, but remember to ask plenty of questions.
Doctor Freedman was empathetic the entire process, and explained every step of the way with us. We had a few setbacks and he was always optimistic our end result would be pregnancy.
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
Insurance lifetime max was utilized, after this was hit I paid the difference cash.
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Doctor Freedman is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.

Treated 2016 - 2019
Dr Castelbaum always made me feel important during every appointment. I never felt rushed during any visit and always took the time to answer any questions or concerns I had...My ovaries did not respond well to the medications and they only retrieved 4 eggs resulting in one embryo which did not work. Dr Castelbaum expressed his concerns but said we could try a more aggressive protocol and added in micro Lupron. I responded much better with the added medication. This time they got 19 eggs and I ended with 3 embryos. We transferred one embryo, which resulted in a miscarriage, and froze the rest. The first frozen transfer worked and I had a daughter. I just had my second frozen transfer which always worked!
RMA has knowledgeable, friendly medical professionals working there. They make you feel comfortable every time your there. They never rush you and spend as much time as needed to answer any questions. They always get back to you in a timely manner...The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful! Everyone knew me by name and made me feel so comfortable every time I went for an appointment. They were also always helpful with any questions or concerns I had...I paid total around $17,000 for the 2 fresh cycles. Medications for fresh cycle were around $3-4K (with discounts). The frozen cycle was $3,000 and meds were about $500.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Castelbaum is amazing! I thought I would never have children of my own and now I have a daughter and another little one on the way! He gave me the family I was dreamed of! I HIGHLY recommend Dr Castelbaum and RMA!
If your having trouble conceiving, see Dr Castelbaum. You won’t regret it!
At every visit I was greeted by my first name as soon as I walked in the door. Dr Castelbaum always made me feel important during every appointment. I never felt rushed during any visit and always took the time to answer any questions or concerns I had.
I did two cycles of IVF. The first cycle I used Gonal-F, Meopur & cetrotide. My ovaries did not respond well to the medications and they only retrieved 4 eggs resulting in one embryo which did not work. Dr Castelbaum expressed his concerns but said we could try a more aggressive protocol and added in micro Lupron. I responded much better with the added medication. This time they got 19 eggs and I ended with 3 embryos. We transferred one embryo, which resulted in a miscarriage, and froze the rest. The first frozen transfer worked and I had a daughter. I just had my second frozen transfer which always worked!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance only covered diagnostics for IVF so most of the cost was out of pocket. I paid total around $17,000 for the 2 fresh cycles. Medications for fresh cycle were around $3-4K (with discounts). The frozen cycle was $3,000 and meds were about $500.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. ... My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. ... We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more. ...
Mostly strengths with this clinic [RMA of Philadelphia]....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away. ... Melissa and Lindsay are top notch. If you call and they aren't available, you WILL get a call back on the same day. If you email, you WILL get a reply. They are super compassionate and are very invested in the care of their patients. Such sweet ladies!
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. His role was to help me get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more.
Trust in what he believes...his experience in this process speaks volumes.
I felt like a human. He is very down to earth and goes out of his way to speak directly with his patients, even on a a weekend.
My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. I ended up with 6 5AA embryos, sent for PGS. After PGS we had 3 normal males and 2 mosaic males. We got pregnant on the first transfer of a 5AA PGS normal male.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa & Lindsay)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Mostly strengths with this clinic....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away.
We had insurance (at the time) with a $6500 deductible. The deductible was met quickly,.then 80 percent was covered. For a full cycle, including monitoring, recurrent loss blood panel, karyotype testing and PGS testing, we paid about $5000 out of pocket.
He believes in PGS testing with one common goal, which is helping each mom have a healthy pregnancy with a healthy baby. He doesn't transfer multiple embryos if PGS tested.
Mechanicsburg
Treated 2015 - 2019
These nurses [at RMA of Philadelphia] cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them... I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I honestly can't think of a single weakness when it comes to Dr. Castelbaum. He is knowledgeable, compassionate, thorough, and kind. No two people are the same and he knows that and it shows in how he interacts with each of his patients. My husband and I brought embryos with us to Dr. Castelbaum from another facility. He was up front in telling us that he wanted his embryologist to review them because every clinic has their own guidelines for freezing and storing embryos and he wouldn't know what we had until they could look at them for themselves. After the first transfer with him from those embryos it resulted in a successful pregnancy where I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Upon returning to the office two years later we did 4 additional transfers. The first 2 were with our remaining embryos we had brought with us from the other facility. From those, we had 1 early miscarriage (blighted ovum) and 1 chemical pregnancy. We then did another round of injections for egg retrieval. First transfer from this round was a chemical pregnancy. Second transfer was successful and I'm currently 10 weeks, 3 days pregnant and was discharged to my OB a week ago. It's so easy to blame doctors for a failed embryo transfer. My failed transfers were devastating to me; but I also remember how shocked and upset Dr. Castelbaum was for us. We did not do genetic testing although it was recommended to us to reduce the risk of miscarriage. Even though we chose not to, we were never judged for it. I almost gave up after the third failed transfer. Emotionally, I didn't know if I could keep going. Mentally, I knew I wasn't ready to give up. I'll never forget what Dr. Castelbaum said to me on my last appointment: "I know you were ready to jump ship and I understand why. But I'm so glad you didn't. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. I'm glad I got to be a part of this and am so happy for you." These words will stick with me the rest of my life and I still tear up thinking about it. I could never thank him enough for all he's done for me and my husband.
Please realize Doctors are human. They can't give guaranteed results and they aren't perfect. Dr. Castelbaum loves what he does and it shows. If you want someone that will give you the brutal truth, yet deliver it in a compassionate way and someone who will truly fight for you Dr. Castelbaum is the guy to see.
I have been to two different facilities. The first one was like a meat market; standing room only and unless you had some news worthy fertility problem, you never saw the physicians, you always saw a nurse or a PA. At RMA I saw a Physician every time I went, and I was made to feel important. If I had to wait, I never minded because I knew the wait was due to them wanting to give every patient the same respect, time, and quality appointment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
These nurses cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic is a reflection of those who work there. If you read my full review of the Doctors and staff, you'll agree this clinic is fantastic. I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
I had insurance coverage for almost all of my treatments.
Dr. Castelbaum is a strong believer in only transferring one embryo. I was hesitant to agree but after he gave us the facts, I understood why and I knew he had my best interest in mind.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Castelbaum has all my information ready for me. Anytime I ask a question he has an answer for me and does not go looking through notes he knows my situation and I by face...I can not think of a negative even when I probably should be contacting the nurse, if I contact Dr. he always answer my question without hesitation. I have had no disappointments and I have always been treated with respect. Dr. Castelbaum makes me feel very comfortable in not so comfortable situations.
The nurse and office staff [at RMA] are ok but at times they can be rude and very unprofessional at times. They do not always provide the information you need and when you ask they make it seem as if you are getting on their nerves...This clinic do not offer a patient portal so you have to go to the office for everything. There are several offices for your convenience. You can choose any office that works for you. The office staff can sometimes be rude if you go on a busy day and they show little concern once you become a patient but not active at the time. It seems they are only concerned with active or potential patients.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is great. I can not think of a negative even when I probably should be contacting the nurse, if I contact Dr. he always answer my question without hesitation. I have had no disappointments and I have always been treated with respect. Dr. Castelbaum makes me feel very comfortable in not so comfortable situations.
Ask questions if you do not understand. Dr. Castelbaum has patience and will go over anything you need so do not be scared to ask if you don’t know.
I am in the beginning stage. We haven’t gotten to my protocol as of yet.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurse and office staff are ok but at times they can be rude and very unprofessional at times. They do not always provide the information you need and when you ask they make it seem as if you are getting on their nerves.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I am uncertain. I started off with insurance but I am now self pay and am waiting to get exact self pay amount.
Dr. Castelbaum will only transfer one embryo if you are under a certain age (35).
Treated 2016 - 2018
All the nurses [RMA of Philadelphia] were extremely compassionate and helpful. They always called when they said they would. They relayed any information from the doctor and if I had questions, they would get the answer from the doctor and call back. They would call to remind me of medicines I needed to take and explained every step of the process. They made the process more bearable....The weakness is the billing department. They incorrectly billed several times. When I called to explain that they incorrectly billed, they weren't very pleasant to deal with.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum was very positive and kept my spirits up during the low points of fertility treatments. He seemed confident that he would help get me pregnant and he did. There were some roadblocks that we had to get through but he always found the solution. He misdiagnosed me with unexplained infertility at first. During IVF, hydrosalpinx was found on my one fallopian tube. He quickly set up surgery to remove the tube and assured me that my chances of IVF success would be the same after my unilateral salpingectomy. Even though the diagnostic test missed the hydrosalpinx, I still felt confident with his care. It took longer than anticipated but the end result was a pregnancy. I'm currently 31 weeks and am forever grateful for his care.
Ask a lot of questions! He doesn't mind answering them
Dr. Castelbaum seemed to genuinely care and was always optimistic. He took the time to answer any questions me or my husband had. He thoroughly explained every step of the treatments he performed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
All the nurses were extremely compassionate and helpful. They always called when they said they would. They relayed any information from the doctor and if I had questions, they would get the answer from the doctor and call back. They would call to remind me of medicines I needed to take and explained every step of the process. They made the process more bearable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strengths are the doctors and nursing staff. The weakness is the billing department. They incorrectly billed several times. When I called to explain that they incorrectly billed, they weren't very pleasant to deal with.
With my insurance, IUIs we're covered. I paid a $40 copay each visit. And I paid for the medicine out of pocket. I don't recall the medicine prices. For IVF, we paid all out of pocket. We did the RMA assure plan which costs in total with meds about $30,000
He suggested one embryo transfer at a time because of my age.

Treated 2017 - 2018
I really like Dr Gutmann. She's present when I'm with her, I think she definitely considers me as an individual in my treatment, she answers my questions, she has a sense of humor, and she's empathetic. My only issue is it's hard to actually see her. An appointment takes a while to get if I want to talk to her/reassess. I usually end up seeing one of the other Drs on call when I go due to my cycle and the Drs schedules... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic [RMA] is clean...Really like the nursing staff here, they're all sweet. In the beginning I had some confusion- I guess they're used to people coming in for multiple cycles and knowing the routine, but at first I didn't know what the steps were and not everything was fully explained. Once I got used to the basic routine, it was fine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I feel like I did this a few questions ago... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc. I wish I could see her for all of my appointments for continuity, but I usually end up seeing a different Dr due to my cycle and the schedules of the Drs on call.
That FYI, you won't be dealing with just her, you get whichever Dr is in. Which isn't bad, they're all good. It would just be nice for continuity and questions.
I started out the first cycle without drugs because I got pregnant easily the first time. Second cycle I used Letrosol because there is supposedly a slightly lower risk of multiples than Clomid. Didn't like the side effects of Letrosol. Next 3 cycles with Clomid and Ovedril. 5 cycles total of IUI. About to start trying with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic is clean. I've brought my 4 year old daughter to most visits with me and they always welcome her and give her stickers.
$1200 per cycle for IUI, then additional cost of buying donor sperm online.
We haven't really dealt with this yet.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
One time I wasn't called to be told I needed Ovidril for a cycle until the pharmacy was already closed and I was supposed to take it that night.
Treated 2017 - 2018
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried....she may be a bit conservative in her approach....She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle... Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities [RMA- of Phila] are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run....There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions....I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is a wonderful physician. She is knowledgeable, compassionate, understanding and patient. She is very empathic. She always explained what to expect. If there were any complications or concerns, she would explain what they were and the best course of action. She didn't hesitate to ask her colleagues for their opinion in my care, when needed which I respect and consider a sign of confidence in her abilities. She doesn't allow pride to keep her from getting answers for her patients to obtain the best care possible for them.
Understanding that she may be a bit conservative in her approach.
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried. She's been encouraging without sugar coating the odds. She's always been honest.
She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle. A fibroid was found and surgery was advisedly. On repeat scope, another possible fibroid was found which wasn't clear and so an MRI was recommended and showed that there were two small fibroids which wouldn't interfere in pregnancy given their location. Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind. I did become pregnant with that first cycle
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions. The other nurses were also responsive to my questions. I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run. Weaknesses- I can't think of any.
Last year, I had a different insurance which covered most of my expenses. However, this year, my insurance isn't willing to cover more than 1 IVF cycle and only if done before April 29th. So, I'm not sure of out of pocket costs
I completely agreed with her reasoning for single embryo transfer given the increased risk to me and any potential fetus with multiples. MFM agreed as well.
Treated 2013 - 2017
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense...If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb... she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
RMA is always open...holidays and weekends. they are very responsive, helpful, and the staff is great...during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle...Our specific problems happened only twice and only with one nurse. The rest of the clinic and staffing were perfect and went over and beyond with informing us and with with follow ups
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She's just the best! Really knows her stuff, explains it well, doesn't sugar coat, but isn't harsh. Personable without being unprofessional. I was at RMA 219 times in my time there and everytime i knew she was in the office I felt relived and happy to know i was under her care and that I got the chance to talk with her.
If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb. Always has your best interest in mind and I'm pretty sure sheworks 23/7
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense. we also discussed personal lives and she got to know us
23 cycles too many too list but she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
IUIs the most expensive part was teh donor sperm. copays each visit and my shots weren't covered. they were $99 a cycle. during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle. No insurance coverage with IVF. My Wife started IVF and her meds were mostly covered with a small copay. We received grants from Hasidah and JFCS. that helped. overall we spent about $80,000 for 3 years of infertility
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Treated 2015 - 2017
I felt complete trust in her [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] and felt very respected and 100% included as the non-gestational partner (my wife carried our child). Dr. Gutmann made herself very available to us over email at any time. We had a difficult situation regarding a non-viable pregnancy through the course of our journey, and though Dr. Gutmann was aware early on that it would almost certainly end up as non-viable, she gave us the information but didn't pressure us at all in making our own decision as to how to proceed. She is very, very queer-competent, and was super respectful in her language. I could not be happier in our choice to work with her, and hope to do so again when the time is right to try for a sibling!
Overall, RMA does a great job of being extremely clear in all forms of communication, and they are great about letting you know exactly what is happening and what will happen next.The nursing staff was so supportive and seemed very up to date on our specific needs and situation each visit...Highly queer competent, they do a lot of outreach in the community...We used Letrozole to regularize ovulation, plus bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring to track the process of ovulation. Then, when the follicles looked good, we would use an HCG trigger shot to trigger ovulation, followed by an IUI. After the IUI we used progesterone suppositories.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann was very clear, thorough, and extremely knowledgeable. She was instantly able to answer every question we asked with specifics. Was is a bit blunt and will absolutely "tell it like it is" but I felt complete trust in her and felt very respected and 100% included as the non-gestational partner (my wife carried our child). Dr. Gutmann made herself very available to us over email at any time. We had a difficult situation regarding a non-viable pregnancy through the course of our journey, and though Dr. Gutmann was aware early on that it would almost certainly end up as non-viable, she gave us the information but didn't pressure us at all in making our own decision as to how to proceed. She is very, very queer-competent, and was super respectful in her language. I could not be happier in our choice to work with her, and hope to do so again when the time is right to try for a sibling!
I would strongly advise people to work with her, particularly if you are queer or trans!
Dr. Gutmann was a godsend. She did a fantastic job of communicating with us throughout a very long and draining process. She was extremely responsive, including replying to emails outside of business hours, and answered all of our many detailed questions.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Highly queer competent, they do a lot of outreach in the community. We saw all the doctors in the practice at different times over the year we worked with RMA, and though Dr. Gutmann was in charge of our care and was our point of contact, we didn't have a problem with any of the other doctors on staff. Overall, RMA does a great job of being extremely clear in all forms of communication, and they are great about letting you know exactly what is happening and what will happen next.
Bloodwork only monitoring visits were free, ultrasound monitoring visits, IUIs, and longer personal meetings with Dr. Gutmann were a $35 copay.
Treated 2016 - 2017
He [Dr. Castelbaum] is very responsive by email... very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed... If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
The nurses and other staff in the surgery center [at RMA] are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day... They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed. He is very responsive by email, as are the nurses who work at RMA.
Don't shy away from asking questions, even if you are bumping up against the limits of knowledge in the field of Reproductive Endocrinology. If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
Dr. Castelbaum and the RMA staff are busy, but take the time to greet and talk with everyone. This is especially true in the surgery center--the nurses there are truly kind and caring. The office usually runs on time and seems to prioritize getting patients in and out of the office within a reasonable amount of time. If there is something you need, they will put you in touch with the right person to get your questions answered.
My first protocol was a typical antagonist protocol. It went worse than expected, given my age and other lab test results, but still yielded mature eggs that fertilized with ICSI. We decided to have another egg retrieval in order to bank more embryos prior to doing a transfer. Dr. Castelbaum recommended a micro flare protocol, which unfortunately yielded no mature eggs. We are trying again with another antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The RMA nurses are excellent and very communicative. They are also very compassionate and take the time to get to know you as a patient. They are quick to respond to email and phone calls. In any case, it is still important to take the time to keep yourself organized when it comes to your medication supply and dates for upcoming cycles, and notify them quickly if you notice any problems or discrepancies.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA as a clinic is excellent. They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff. The nurses and other staff in the surgery center are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day.
Treated 2014 - 2017
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque...Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test....RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque. I found this to be a positive about her personality - she never made the fertility treatments feel precious. Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor. I have no complaints - I wish she were my primary physician, too.
Don't be turned off by her brusque-ness! She's actually a really warm and caring person.
Dr. Gutman was always clear about what to expect from the fertility treatments - she has a positive outlook without ever giving me false hope. She also had an air of authority while still making me feel comfortable to ask questions. At my last consultation I asked her what I felt was a stupid question about cervical mucus and she answered me without a hint of condescension and said, "Don't hold back your questions until a consultation. If there is something worrying you, you can call anytime." Her dry sense of humor makes me laugh every time I see her, but I never feel like she is holding something back that I need to know. Most importantly​, I always feel like she is tailoring my treatment to my specific fertility and financial needs. This has never felt like a one-size-fits-all process with Dr. Gutman.
Dr. Gutman first worked with me to identify if I could ovulate normally on fertility drugs since my PCOS kept me from ovulating normally naturally. She proscribed me Letrozole (after explaining the risks, giving me literature about the risks, and having me sign a consent form​ for the drug). I took two 5mg tablets (I think) of Letrozole on cycle days 4-9. After coming in for monitoring it was clear that I responded well to the Letrozole, so we started IUI cycles thereafter. I've been through 4 IUI cycles so far. I start with Letrozole, I'm monitored throughout the cycle, I take a trigger shot of Ovidrel when I have mature follicles and come in for insemination ~36 hours later. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had a consultation with Dr. Gutman where we went over my body's responses to each cycle according to the monitoring. After reviewing each cycle she gave me multiple options for moving ahead which included more expensive and less expensive options - at no point did I feel pushed toward one option over another. I decided to continue with the Letrozole IUI cycles for the time being. We're still trying at the moment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test. I love seeing the nurses when I arrive at the clinic. I was on a first-name basis with many of them after only a few appointments. I have felt less warmth from the nurses in King of Prussia, but that is not my normal clinic, so I don't feel like I can really speak to the atmosphere there.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs. It's highly inconvenient if you do not have a car.
$1200 per monitored IUI cycle
Treated 2016 - 2017
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring...Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area....I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community...we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner...She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area. She helped us make a plan that fit our lives and was very honest with us. I appreciated this because I just wanted to know what to expect. I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
Be prepared to be told the absolute truth. If you're somebody that needs any potentially tough information given "sugar-coated," you may be surprised by Dr. Gutmann's blunt repsonses; just remember it comes from a caring and knowledgeable place.
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring. While going through a procedure, I was visibly uncomfortable, and she had amazing bedside manners. She ensured I was ok, and definitely tended to me until she knew I was comfortable again.
We are still in process with Dr. Gutmann and needed to have a change of course, so I don't have current specifics.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses were all very efficient during appointments, which was appreciated when rushing to get bloodwork done in the morning before work! The nurses remember the patients and are usually very warm. When calling to talk to a nurse, they always respond quickly and have thorough answers.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community. Some weaknesses would be that every now and then, another doctor would do the vaginal ultrasounds, and they weren't as warm as Dr. Gutmann. Also, we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner when we made the decision to go from IUI to IVF. She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.
Treated 2014 - 2017
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement.... To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey.
It [RMA of PA-Willow Grove] is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.... From start to finish they were incredible with the loss and the BFP they were a great source of comfort and compassion I cannot say enough about the staff.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement. After Tatum was born we sent Dr. Castlebaum a birth announcement he again called us to express his delight and tell us how adorable our son is. To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey. We had been to another place where all I can describe it as is being cattle herded we were literally just a number and a paycheck and with no fertility coverage that's not what you want. Dr. Castlebaum makes you feel like part of his family and when you're struggling to have a baby that is so important.
Ask him anything he loves questions and he loves to hatch the plan with you. He doesn't tell you what "his plan" is for you instead it's your collaboration.
I am in a same sex marriage and he listens to everything we have said along the way we even went to another doctor for Ivf and when we returned to him for my wife to get iui all he wanted to know was if we were successful at the other office. He's amazing and we will never seek care from anyone else again!
Iui twice with me using letrezol and hcg trigger shot one was positive pregnancy that ended in mc the other did not work. With my wife he did two iui no med assist and the first did not work the second did!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.
I believe the iui was 1,000 plus the cost of meds but I'm not 100% sure I took a new job and it did have coverage for iui so with my wife there were specialist copay so 40.00 each visit. The sperm cost 890 per vial and we have purchased a total of 9 and if costs between 250-400 to ship.
Treated 2015 - 2016
during the initial steps, Dr. Gutmann is very candid about the process and expectations of treatment. She will soften during the process. If you would to like to only see Dr. Gutmann, request appointments with Dr. Gutmann only when scheduling...After receiving my history from my previous doctors, Dr. Gutmann performed an ultrasound and HSG to decide which route to take, medication or injectionables. My disease had not progressed, therefore, I started with Clomid. Unfortunately, I developed Ovarian Hypersensitivity, and wasn't able to continue with the Clomid.
The nurse staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] was awesome. They called with my results with 4-6 hours. They were able to answer any questions that may have had. They even made small talk and made jokes to keep my spirits up during trying visits...They are warm and welcoming. They, also, clear if they cannot help you. Once Dr. Gutmann could help me any further with my disease, she referred me to someone else...After an MRI, Dr. Gutmann noticed my disease had began to progress very rapidly, and we decided the best course of action was surgical intervention. After the post-surgical/pre-fertility treatment MRI, my disease had progressed further, and I was referred to an oncologist. Dr. Gutman was apart of my team through my crisis.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Please visit question number one about being treated as human. My experience as a patient of hers was amazing. When she noticed my health taking a turn for the worse, she asked me to come in for weekly checkups, consulted with an oncologist, and worked with another clinical team to figure out how to help me get better.
Trying to understand that during the initial steps, Dr. Gutmann is very candid about the process and expectations of treatment. She will soften during the process. If you would to like to only see Dr. Gutmann, request appointments with Dr. Gutmann only when scheduling.
I work in the clinical field. Therefore, I expect doctors to be upfront about test results and expectations. Initially, Dr. Gutmann was upfront about expectations, especially after receiving previous my test results, and OP results. As time progressed, she soften, and became very encouraging. When she noticed my health taking a turn for the worse, she asked me to come in for weekly checkups, consulted with an oncologist, and worked with another clinical team to figure out how to help me get better.
After receiving my history from my previous doctors, Dr. Gutmann performed an ultrasound and HSG to decide which route to take, medication or injectionables. My disease had not progressed, therefore, I started with Clomid. Unfortunately, I developed Ovarian Hypersensitivity, and wasn't able to continue with the Clomid. We allowed my system to calm down for awhile. After an MRI, Dr. Gutmann noticed my disease had began to progress very rapidly, and we decided the best course of action was surgical intervention. After the post-surgical/pre-fertility treatment MRI, my disease had progressed further, and I was referred to an oncologist. Dr. Gutman was apart of my team through my crisis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
The nurse staff was awesome. They called with my results with 4-6 hours. They were able to answer any questions that may have had. They even made small talk and made jokes to keep my spirits up during trying visits.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic's strength is its desire health those who cannot procreate have a child. They are warm and welcoming. They, also, clear if they cannot help you. Once Dr. Gutmann could help me any further with my disease, she referred me to someone else.
Because Dr. Gutmann was treating both, my endometriosis, and fertility, my insurance was charged for each visit. My insurance didn't could IUI and IVF, though.