1151 Old York Rd
717.516.1620
1015 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556

Dr. Gutman[n] is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. ... Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her.
The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. ... They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket. ... I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. ...
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. The way she casually talks about the procedure puts you at ease and makes you realize that she has done this a hundred times and knows what she is doing. Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her. Once visit, I told her I was on my way to a baby shower and she said, "Well, if you need me to write you a doctor's note, I will absolutely do that." She understands how hard the journey is but doesn't dwell on it and always pushes forward.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust the process. She is not a terribly warm individual, especially when you first meet her, but that's because she is still evaluating what the absolute best options are for you. Every time you talk to her, you will be reminded as to why you are in her care. She's great if you like someone who is straight and to the point - no sugarcoating bad news. It might be a long treatment, but she will be invested the entire time and is open to suggestions if you feel as though you'd like to try a different treatment which I appreciated!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Not only Dr. Gutman, but her entire staff were gentle, but not so gentle that I felt they were incompetent. Dr. Gutman is so incredibly passionate about endocrinology and you can tell when you talk to her that she genuinely wants to see you succeed. I never once had to wait long for results and all of my questions were answered - they even didn't mind corresponding via email, which is my preferred method. They made sure I completely understood the entire process and the 'why' behind each step. They also were up front about the odds - no false promises about whether or not it would work. They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket.
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
After our initial consult, she scheduled me for an MRI of the pituitary, which showed a small tumor, meaning that I would very likely not respond to oral medications and advised we go straight to injectables. I began 75iu of Menopur for three days, then after my blood and ultrasound, continued for three more days. I was then bumped up to 150 iu after my estrogen was still &lt;100. I had bloods and ultrasound every 3 days throughout the entire process. I triggered with Ovidrel after day 14 of Menopur and my IUI was performed 32 hours later. I received my period prior to the pregnancy test. Our second IUI followed the same protocol, with 16 days of stims before trigger. This time, she started me at 75IU, but shortly bumped me back up to 150iu, as my estogren dropped after the first three injections. The second IUI resulted in a positive HCG test, but the level was 34 and quickly dropped to 6. I got my period shortly after. Our next IUI baseline is scheduled for this week and will likely follow the same protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. Every time they sent results, it felt as though they were experiencing the same emotions as you, whether it was excitement or disappointment. None of the emails they send were carbon copied - they were all completely individualized and answered very quickly. I think the only weakness would be that they sometimes assume that patients have a lot of prior knowledge, so when we had our first IUI, I was not sure exactly what all the terms and medications they were talking about. Now I understand them though.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They have fantastic hours and multiple locations that all work together, so you can go to whichever one they have an appointment at. The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. They don't know how much medications will be, they don't know what your insurance company will cover - that is completely handled by the finance department, so they will often suggest procedures to you without mentioning the price. The staff is amazing otherwise and the clinic is clean and welcoming. It might be a while to get an initial consult but it is worth it!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
The out of pocket IUI package was $1800 and included everything but medication for a full cycle. I paid an additional $1800 for Menopur and $200 for ovidrel. We have no insurance coverage for fertility treatments, monitoring or medication. Total was about $3300 per IUI. We completed two unsuccessful cycles and are beginning our third.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Not applicable for our treament
King of Prussia

Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment...Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Strengths and weaknesses Dr. Schlaff was knowledgeable, compassionate, warm, and direct. He made several small adjustments during my cycle that I truly believe made a difference in our outcome, such as delaying our retrieval by two days to allow for more follicles to mature (resulting in a couple more eggs being retrieved than would have otherwise) and also delaying our FET because I had fluid in my uterus. He adjusted medications to reduce the fluid down to almost none by transfer day. I found him to be an excellent communicator and felt from the beginning that no matter the outcome, we would have been satisfied that we gave it one last try under his care. I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Schlaff to anyone and can think of no weaknesses whatsoever.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do not hesitate to meet with him if you are thinking about undergoing fertility treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Prior to being treated by Dr. Schlaff, I was seen at a different clinic where I rarely saw or spoke with my main physician and was seen by different doctors, nurses, and ultrasound techs at each visit. I was seen at this prior clinic over the course of two years for 4 IUIs and 2 IVF cycles (none successful) and saw my original doctor a total of 3 times. This was my baseline experience with infertility treatment prior to deciding to switch clinics. From the very first time I met Dr. Schlaff, I knew my experience would be different. Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment. The emotional and mental aspect of our treatment was never addressed or considered at the prior clinic. Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Shannon)
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: small number of doctors at each practice location, so you see the same couple of doctors every time; monitoring ultrasounds are all performed by the physicians; continuity of care with both doctors and nurses; friendly and professional office staff; knowledgable financial coordinator Weaknesses: weekend monitoring at a different office was less convenient for me than the weekday office location I believe that the attentiveness of Dr. Schlaff and the other practitioners at the clinic made the all the difference in our successful outcome, especially since I went to his clinic years later than my prior clinic where I had multiple failed IUIs and IVF cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia.
self-pay: 18K for single IVF cycle with PGS and ERA biopsy, including meds, though some meds were covered by insurance
William Schlaff
Philadelphia

Since we are an LGBT couple with no known fertility issues, Dr. Lange recommended starting with IUI using a sperm donor. I did 2 medicated cycles using Letrozole and Ovidrel as a trigger shot. The first round was unsuccessful. The second round resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. We will be moving towards IVF due to the concerns of a higher chance of another ectopic pregnancy...In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer.
IUI cycles [at RMA of Philadelphia] were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications...IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication...The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Allison Lange was very knowledgeable and thorough when she created our treatment plan. She was able to walk us through the plan and answer any questions regarding our specific case. When I had blood work or ultrasounds done, if she was not the doctor on call, she still reviewed all of the results and made the final decisions. When we went through our unfortunate ectopic pregnancy, she was there to tell me the next steps. Dr. Lange went out of her way to personally make arrangements for me and made sure that I understood everything fully. She was very compassionate and made me feel like I was important. After, she personally called to check in on how I was doing physically and emotionally. She set up another appointment to review our treatment plan and answer any questions we may have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
One piece of advice would be to go in with an open mind. She will take the time to review your case and create a plan for you based on your specific needs or goals.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
During our visits Dr. Lange was very welcoming and talked to us about our specific case. Our second IUI ended in an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Lange sat with us and explained everything that was happening and comforted us. She also called after to check in on us following the procedure and creating a new plan.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses were very compassionate, professional and willing to help. They called the same day with test results when applicable. If I sent an email via the secure portal, I always received an answer promptly.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt as if I was treated as a person and they were still invested in my case.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUI cycles were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication
Describe Allison Lange's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer. I am unsure of other cases.
Allison Lange

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Castelbaum was honest, transparent, and trustworthy. He is an expert in his field but takes the time to explain things to you in ways that you fully and completely understand. He tailored my treatment plans based on my specific concerns and needs. He was warm and comforting but also very clear about data and statistics...I felt like my specific concerns were listened to and addressed. I wasn't given a one-sized-fits-all protocol but was actively involved in the decision making...
I really appreciated the efficiency of RMA. I felt like they did everything they could to respect your time and get you in and out of the office during morning monitoring appointments...My nurse, Heather, was very timely in her responses and made sure I fully understood everything. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Heather...This clinic strongly advocates for single embryo transfers up to a certain age...
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt that Dr. Castelbaum was honest, transparent, and trustworthy. He is an expert in his field but takes the time to explain things to you in ways that you fully and completely understand. He tailored my treatment plans based on my specific concerns and needs. He was warm and comforting but also very clear about data and statistics.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Watch all of the available webinars and videos online before meeting with the Doctor and have a list of questions ready so that you can maximize your time with him and get all of your concerns addressed!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol was used - ended up being on the meds for a shorter time period than expected, about 8 total days instead of 10-12.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
My nurse, Heather, was very timely in her responses and made sure I fully understood everything. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Heather. IVF sucks; it is emotionally/financially/physically taxing, and she made the entire process suck a little less.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I really appreciated the efficiency of RMA. I felt like they did everything they could to respect your time and get you in and out of the office during morning monitoring appointments. As someone who hates needles and giving blood, I definitely appreciated the care and compassion that the RMA clinical staff showed me.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
This clinic strongly advocates for single embryo transfers up to a certain age.
King of Prussia

Dr. Guttman[n] has been a perfect balance of no-nonsense and compassion. She doesn't sugar coat and gets right to the point (which I greatly appreciate), but when I had my miscarriage she was gentle, compassionate, and sympathetic. She has always answered and addressed my questions (even the crazier ones), and I feel very comfortable and confident continuing treatment with her.
I can't say enough good things about RMA. Because of my work schedule I am in different parts of the metro area every day, and have been able to schedule treatments and appointments different offices (Philly, Willow Grove, and KOP) to fit my needs. Despite my jumping around, every doctor and nurse I've seen has had full knowledge of my file and treatment plan, and my primary Dr. has always followed up with me directly.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman has been a perfect balance of no-nonsense and compassion. She doesn't sugar coat and gets right to the point (which I greatly appreciate), but when I had my miscarriage she was gentle, compassionate, and sympathetic. She has always answered and addressed my questions (even the crazier ones), and I feel very comfortable and confident continuing treatment with her.
See her.
While I've seen other doctors for monitoring and gotten test results from nurses, Dr. Guttman herself has always checked in with me regularly to explain next steps and answer any questions. Even though I dont get to see her in person often due to my schedule, I've never felt like she didn't know who I was or what was going on.
When I first went in, Dr. Guttman immediately suggested a medicated cycle with IUI. I wasn't mentally prepared to start treatment right away, so she suggested trying Ovasitol and prescribed a thyroid medication. Over the next few months, RMA checked in on me periodically and Dr. Guttman continued to monitor my thyroid levels and adjust my medication accordingly. Once my husband and I were ready to begin treatment, his sperm was tested and I went in for baseline monitoring and an HSG. I was prescribed Clomid, and once my follicles were the appropriate size, Ovidrel. I had an IUI 36 hours later. I got pregnant on the first try, but unfortunately miscarried at 7 weeks and subsequently had a D&C. I am currently waiting for my HCG levels to return to 0. Once my period returns (and assuming "elective procedures" are possible given COVID-19), I'll be undergoing a hysteroscopy to help determine our next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff has been fantastic. If I had questions or concerns that they were not able to address immediately, I always got a follow up from them within a few hours.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance has covered most of my treatment so far, with the obvious exception of copays. The billing department gave me a vey clear break-down: if my pants come off, it's considered a specialist visit and I have a copay. If I'm just coming in for bloodwork, I don't have a copay. I've only had to pay for one medication out-of-pocket (Ovidrel), but the clinic referred me to a specialty pharmacy where I was able to get it for a low price.
Philadelphia

Dr Gutmann was actually the first doctor I had consulted with before starting on my fertility journey. I went to see her alone, hoping to conceive as a single woman, using donor sperm...I felt like she respected that decision and took great care to review all of my options and answer my constant flow of questions....Bottom line is that she is a no-nonsense, data-driven, but exceedingly compassionate physician
The nursing staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] was my primary point of contact during treatment. I did get the sense that they ran questions about medication dosage or restrictions during treatment by Dr. Gutmann before responding, which I appreciated...Monitoring was usually quick. Callbacks or emails with the monitoring results were usually at the same time each day
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I think I explained most of it in my response to the preceding question, so I won't duplicate here. Bottom line is that she is a no-nonsense, data-driven, but exceedingly compassionate physician. I didn't have the outcome I wanted after an egg retrieval and two embryo transfers, and was devasted. I took some time to heal a bit from my losses and intend to have one final attempt with her in the next few months.
Don't be afraid to ask questions. Don't be offended by her demeanor.
Dr Gutmann was actually the first doctor I had consulted with before starting on my fertility journey. I went to see her alone, hoping to conceive as a single woman, using donor sperm. I knew that I had no insurance coverage for this so would be paying for all of this out of pocket. I felt like she respected that decision and took great care to review all of my options and answer my constant flow of questions. I did some diagnostic testing with her after that first visit, which led to a diagnosis of very low AMH. I was devastated, thinking that I wouldn't even be able to conceive. She didn't know how I was feeling, but I'd emailed asking her for more info and she called me late on a Friday night and spent 30 mins on the phone with me explaining what it all meant and helping me decide how to proceed. I ended up going to another clinic to do my first two IUIs only because they were a bit cheaper than RMA and logistically simpler (they scheduled all of their procedures in the city where I live, whereas RMA does procedures out in the suburbs, about 30 minutes from where I live in the city with no car). but I wish I'd stayed with Dr. G. I did return to her two do an egg retrieval and two embryo transfers after the two failed IUIs at the other clinic. Many people say she's not "warm" and she's not exactly, but she's very empathetic. I appreciated that she called me late at night after the first loss to check on me (nurse had delivered the news earlier in the day).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff was my primary point of contact during treatment. I did get the sense that they ran questions about medication dosage or restrictions during treatment by Dr. Gutmann before responding, which I appreciated, but there were a few times with (perhaps) less-important questions that there were differing opinions from nurse to nurse.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Monitoring was usually quick. Callbacks or emails with the monitoring results were usually at the same time each day, which I appreciated. They generally were good about answering my myriad of questions and didn't make me feel foolish for asking. I felt like the nurses and my doctor were compassionate and knowledgeable. I'm not sure what the weaknesses here might be. I do wish Dr. G would have been the one to complete my procedures, because everything we were doing with monitoring was leading up to these big days, and it would've been nice to have her there as a part of that, partially because she'd know what was going on and because i trusted her and had a rapport with her, but I realize that would be difficult to accomplish given the volume of patients and the timing of these procedures.
I believe an IUI package was about $1500 plus donor sperm and medication; and a full egg retrieval and transfer were in the range of $15K-18K plus donor sperm and medication.
We elected to only transfer one embryo at a time because of my age and because success rates with one embryo are higher.
Philadelphia

Dr Freedman has a very calm and warm demeanor...a man of few words, he delivers both good and bad news with a confidence that makes me trust his expertise. At my lowest, he simply stated “we will do what we have to to get you pregnant” and it was with enough confidence and warmth that I knew I could continue...planning on moving straight to ivf when my husbands analysis came back great. Dr Freedman shifted gears to try iui.
Every person I have interacted with [at RMA of Philadelphia] has been kind and understanding, from the front desk to the nurses and doctors...Scheduling has been easy with a lot of available hours and locations for you to go to is it’s more convenient for that specific day. My only issue so far has been the finance department. My original coordinator seemed to be overwhelmed and once they realized I didn’t have an fertility coverage, she just sent me to iui package and ivf without limited explanation.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Freedman has a very calm and warm demeanor which is what I’ve needed during this process. Although his is a man of few words, he delivers both good and bad news with a confidence that makes me trust his expertise. At my lowest, he simply stated “we will do what we have to to get you pregnant” and it was with enough confidence and warmth that I knew I could continue.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
For any patient, be your own advocate. If you don’t understand, ask questions. If you need clarity, ask questions. Whatever you need, just ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Every person I have interacted with has been kind and understanding, from the front desk to the nurses and doctors. It is a very busy office so there is a constant stream of patients which I think is a great sign but it also makes me a little nervous.
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We’ve been dealing with male infertility and were planning on moving straight to ivf when my husbands analysis came back great. Dr Freedman shifted gears to try iui. We did a medicated Letrozole IUI circle which was unsuccessful. We were planning to do our second but have been rescheduled due to a cyst on my ovary.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Warm, welcoming and understanding. They may be the best last of the whole experience.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Scheduling has been easy with a lot of available hours and locations for you to go to is it’s more convenient for that specific day. My only issue so far has been the finance department. My original coordinator seemed to be overwhelmed and once they realized I didn’t have an fertility coverage, she just sent me to iui package and ivf without limited explanation. Everyone I have dealt with since the initial call has been great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
Out of pocket medicated IUI: $1200 not including meds Out of Pocket IVF: $15,000 not including meds
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Conflicting pricing for my IUI was initially given from a finance department. When questioned, they said they submitted it differently to my Insurance company.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)
Prepare questions. She [Dr. Gutmann] will answer them, but as others have said, your time is limited. She will always answer questions though. I read these docs often do over 50 monitoring appointments from 7-9, for context. So she wouldn’t go into a monologue about my treatment plan, but always more than happy to explain my treatment plan...struck the perfect balance of warm yet clearly well researched. She always started with a check in and often a joke, then dove into the science of what she was seeing... balance of bedside manner and intellectual prowess were so good that, as dreaded as the process could be (and it was since I had a miscarriage at first), We still always looked forward to seeing her.
[RMA of Philadelphia is an] Awesome practice. I worked with many different docs here. Sort of like the 3 little bears, some of these docs were too optimistic, some too dry, but Dr. Gutman was the perfect balance for me...There are a ton of nurses. I probably worked with at least 5 different nurses, all extremely warm and thorough. I was always surprised how patient and detailed they were with all my questions because I was admittedly high strung/anxious and had soooo many questions...I have great insurance so costs we’re $40 copays, trigger shot was $100, other meds $60....total costs under $1,000.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman’s balance of bedside manner and intellectual prowess were so good that, as dreaded as the process could be (and it was since I had a miscarriage at first), We still always looked forward to seeing her.
Prepare questions. She will answer them, but as others have said, your time is limited. She will always answer questions though. I read these docs often do over 50 monitoring appointments from 7-9, for context. So she wouldn’t go into a monologue about my treatment plan, but always more than happy to explain my treatment plan.
Dr. G struck the perfect balance of warm yet clearly well researched. She always started with a check in and often a joke, then dove into the science of what she was seeing.
First 9 weeks was just monitoring because, against all odds, my first appt revealed my first natural pregnancy. We lost this baby and Dr. G was great, and suggested a slightly more aggressive approach of letrizol, progesterone, trigger shot, and IUI which we did. I ended up bleeding and having low hcg levels, which made me very anxious and I asked to terminate the pregnancy rather than finish what I thought was a miscarriage. From there, doc monitored me for 9 weeks, even answering my questions by phone immediately before the holidays. At week 9 Dr. G graduated me because against the odds, this pregnancy looks viable. Nurse still did follow up after final appt. it was a great process- wish I could stay w dr. G a couple more weeks because of my anxiety, but I understand that a reproductive specialist has to draw a clear line of time to move on to OB.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Awesome practice. I worked with many different docs here. Sort of like the 3 little bears, some of these docs were too optimistic, some too dry, but Dr. Gutman was the perfect balance for me. She never offered false hope or vague statements the other doctors sometimes made, like “it is what it is” or “we don’t know yet so we’re just going to assume it will all work out.” Instead, she’d joke with us, empathize with our losses, but report only in terms of science, e.g. baby is x% of growth margin or whatever. This was perfect for us...we wanted the facts, and her warmth made the delivery of these more tolerable.
Philadelphia
I saw Dr. Gutmann 4-5 times initially, during the various exploratory & diagnostic phases (consultation, a monitored clomid cycle, HSG, blood and semen tests, etc.) that led to unexplained fertility diagnosis. While not stereotypically warm and fuzzy, she has a great style that really clicked for us: remembering personal details and preferences/goals, informed by the latest science, with a bit of dry humor thrown in there...First semen analysis showed slightly low sperm count and motility. She recommended supplements.
Every single nurse (of the 4-5 I saw regularly) was amazing [at RMA of Philadelphia] with one exception. She was very nice, but seemed to want to reassure me rather than educate me...said they would bill us for anything not covered, up to the cost of their out-of-pocket plan ($14k excluding medication). Overall I felt like I was in great, responsive, competent hands...Started at 400iu Follistim, but as my estrogen levels climbed sky high they switched me to daily monitoring & bloodwork, and tweaked dosage every day.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann's style is not stereotypically warm and fuzzy, but it really clicked for me. She was willing to explain anything and make a recommendation but left the decisions up to us, with no pressure. She has a great dry humor, remembered some details about my personal life, and mainly showed she cared through a detailed treatment plan, and being super responsive with constant monitoring/adjustments in the lead-up to retrieval. Monitoring visits & even transfer day were provided by a rotating team of doctors and NPs. I saw at least 5 in a single, well-monitored IVF cycle. Initially I was disappointed that Dr. Gutmann didn't personally, but I ended up feeling more knowledgeable thru the mix of different styles. Some talked millimeters and probability, others were great at giving a sneak peek at next few steps, everyone was 100% dialed on my records. Emails were returned very quickly, sometimes within the hour.
1. First semen analysis showed slightly low sperm count and motility. She recommended supplements. My husband also decided to cut from ~3-6 beers a week to 1. Three mos later Dr. Gutmann said test results had rebounded so well that she thought one of the tests was inaccurate, and the answer was most likely somewhere in between. 2. We weren't ready to fully dive into IVF yet so our first step was a Clomid + timed intercourse cycle. 1 ultrasound monitoring appt showed 5 eggs. Negative test. 3. Dr. Gutmann informed us of a research opportunity that would pay for the entire IVF cycle except medication. This sort of kick-started our commitment, but I got busy for 2 months and put off the diagnostic tests. Study was closed to my age bracket by then but we decided to go ahead anyway. 4. IVF cycle with injectables. Started at 400iu Follistim, but as my estrogen levels climbed sky high they switched me to daily monitoring & bloodwork, and tweaked dosage every day. Inconvenient, but great care. On trigger day I screwed up a medication pickup and did not have the prescribed trigger med at home. The doctor on call was great about prescribing an alternative w that I could do within the hour. He explained this alternative would put me at higher risk for OHSS, but they would monitor me closely.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Every single nurse (of the 4-5 I saw regularly) was amazing with one exception. She was very nice, but seemed to want to reassure me rather than educate me, and in 1 case had a small miscommunication about where to phone in an updated prescription. She was fine, just a 4/5 instead of 5.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Fairly big team, so it should have felt impersonal but didn't. Supervising doc is always on top of the plan, and everyone made a personal connection. Monitoring appointments in Center City were very convenient. Usually waited 5 minutes, with 1-2 exceptions. 8am seems to be busiest, so before or after is faster. Weekends in the Valley Forge local were an annoying haul, but worth it in the end. Financially the jury's still out. My insurance had limited coverage for IVF, so they submitted various components of my testing and care separately. Some have been reimbursed and is still pending. RMA said they would bill us for anything not covered, up to the cost of their out-of-pocket plan ($14k excluding medication). Overall I felt like I was in great, responsive, competent hands.
Yes, doctor had strong preference to transfer 1 for goal of healthy singleton pregnancy.
Philadelphia
I naively thought I’d get pregnant immediately with IUI. By addressing my concerns, questions, and even frustrations with Dr. Freedman as my doctor, I felt heard, valued, and cared for by him. He is a doctor who really cares about his patients and wants to make their dreams come true...always reached out by phone and when I emailed him, he’d respond right away or even just pick up the phone. I didn’t always see Dr. Freedman because I lived closer to another office, but we were always in communication. He always knew when I was coming in and did really kind things like call to see how I was doing or call to wish me good luck. When the results of a positive pregnancy test came into the office, he called me immediately. Ther
Denise [nurse at RMA of Philadelphia] always called when she said she would, gave me detailed information and directions about what was happening, explained treatments and medications to me very carefully, and always did so with a smile, great warmth, and compassion...The front office staff was always very kind and helpful to me. I can’t say anything bad about anyone that I saw at Willow Grove (now Abington), Langhorne, or King of Prussia. After a while the staff knows your name, asks you questions, and become very friendly. They often know what you need or what you will ask before you do sometimes and if they cannot answer your questions, they are sure to find someone such as the nurse or doctor who can.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I was feeling pretty hopeless after 4 IUIs (negative pregnancy test each time), one failed IVF cycle with a chromosomally abnormal embryo but I had an opportunity to try a second IVF cycle, which resulted in a positive pregnancy test. Despite numerous disappointments and other setbacks, Dr. Freedman always reached out by phone and when I emailed him, he’d respond right away or even just pick up the phone. I didn’t always see Dr. Freedman because I lived closer to another office, but we were always in communication. He always knew when I was coming in and did really kind things like call to see how I was doing or call to wish me good luck. When the results of a positive pregnancy test came into the office, he called me immediately. There are many more examples of Dr. Freedman’s care, but I always felt well taken care of by him.
The most important advice I can give is to be patient. Your journey to conceive will rarely be how you anticipate. After setbacks, the Coronavirus pandemic, which impacted cycles, and other things I could not control, nor could RMA, I learned that the IUI/IVF process is not what you might expect it to be. I naively thought I’d get pregnant immediately with IUI. By addressing my concerns, questions, and even frustrations with Dr. Freedman as my doctor, I felt heard, valued, and cared for by him. He is a doctor who really cares about his patients and wants to make their dreams come true.
Dr. Freedman was very kind and compassionate, especially when delivering any kind of news, changing treatments, modifying cycles. He was patient and listened carefully to my needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
Denise was a fantastic nurse who was everything a patient could hope for when going through a process like this — repeatedly. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic I switched offices from the Willow Grove office to Langhorne since it was closer to my house. I would see Denise and Dr. Castelbaum there but they would both communicate with Dr. Freedman and relay messages back and forth. Aside from that, Denise always called when she said she would, gave me detailed information and directions about what was happening, explained treatments and medications to me very carefully, and always did so with a smile, great warmth, and compassion.
Abington (formerly Willow Grove)
Dr. Freedman always made sure to call if it was good news or bad news and he showed compassion...Dr. Freedman feels so strongly about single embryo transfers. He cares about the embryos and the mothers - there are many risks to having two embryos transferred...[he] adjusted my progesterone and estradiol - my third transfer was successful
[the RMA of Philadelphia] got back to me right away whenever I had questions. If she couldn't answer she would have the Dr. call me and it would all be the same day...Strengths - amazing communication, cleanliness, and great customer care. All the doctors really seem to care about your success. Weakness - ERA biopsy should be done in the beginning as a diagnostic test in my opinion - then maybe the first transfer would have been successful. I read this is mostly done at many clinics after the second failed, but I don't understand why they do that.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Each Dr. at RMA was great! I sincerely had a great experience and would highly recommend them to anyone I know. The communication was excellent. Dr. Freedman always made sure to call if it was good news or bad news and he showed compassion. You can tell he loves what he does and he wants to help people have families.
He genuinely cares about his patients, he treats you like family.
The communication was exceptional! I had a great experience and they really seemed to care. I was called back the same day each time I went in and all my questions were answered right away. Again, the communication was KEY - and they did an amazing job!
I went through 1 egg retrieval and three IVF transfers. The First ended in Chemical pregnancy which was devastating, the second did not stick - before the third I was asked to do a ERA biopsy to detect my timing to see if it was unique - the results showed that the embryo needed to be transferred 12 hours earlier - Dr. Freedman adjusted my progesterone and estradiol - my third transfer was successful and I am now 12 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Sammy )
Sammy was amazing! She got back to me right away whenever I had questions. If she couldn't answer she would have the Dr. call me and it would all be the same day. She was truly a saint during the entire process.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
I appreciate that Dr. Freedman feels so strongly about single embryo transfers. He cares about the embryos and the mothers - there are many risks to having two embryos transferred - so if you are healthy - just do one.
2020, Consult
Dr. Thorne was absolutely amazing. I could ask him anything and he never made me feel stupid for asking. He always answered my questions super honest and didn’t sugar coat it but did it in good taste...We decided we would do 2 rounds of IUI before moving onto IVF if those failed and at no point did he push doing IVF sooner...
Anytime I would email her [our RMA nurse] with questions she got back to me immediately. Any appointments I had I requested results via email and she would email me my results a couple hours after my appointment...then over the phone met with the financial department. They were VERY helpful. She had everything broken down for me, what my insurance plan covered, didn’t cover, when it would kick in and individual prices for procedures that I was planning on getting.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Thorne was always very clear about what we would try next. We did all of the baseline appointments and semen analysis and everything came back fine. We decided we would do 2 rounds of IUI before moving onto IVF if those failed and at no point did he push doing IVF sooner. During my first round of IUI he found a polyp in my uterus we decided to continue with the IUI when that failed we decided to remove the polyp before the second round. Removed the polyp started our second round of IUI and it was successful!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
He is very kind and compassionate. He takes his time during your appointments so you can ask any questions you might have. He is very vocal during procedures of what he going to do and as it’s happening what he is doing and what is happening next.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Brooke)
Brooke was amazing. Anytime I would email her with questions she got back to me immediately. Any appointments I had I requested results via email and she would email me my results a couple hours after my appointment.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The front desk staff changed from when I first started going. The staff at the beginning was very warm and friendly then towards the end they were younger, rushed and didn’t interact. Once you have your original consultation(they chose my doctor for me) I then over the phone met with the financial department. They were VERY helpful. She had everything broken down for me, what my insurance plan covered, didn’t cover, when it would kick in and individual prices for procedures that I was planning on getting.
Jeffrey Thorne

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. ... He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case.
I don't see any weaknesses. It is an exemplary clinic and others should take note of how well it is run not only with efficiency but compassion and kindness as well. I would recommend RMA King of Prussia to anyone seeking ART. ... MA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples. ... The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness ...
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum genuinely cares about the patients he works with. He was warm, friendly, and funny when appropriate. He treated me and my partner with the utmost respect and dignity. He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case. I absolutely love being a patient of his and wish all doctors had the knowledge and kindness he freely displays.
Take him over any other doctor, he is truly one of a kind.
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is a wonderful man and doctor to work with.
We did a fairly aggressive antagonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur then Cetrotide. I responded extremely well to the protocol. At retrieval I had 25 eggs, with 23 being mature. 16 fertilized with ICSI and 8 embryos made it to day 5 for PGS biopsy and freezing. I did not respond well to the oral/vaginal estrogen, so we performed a mini-stim protocol for the FET. I did 10 days of follistim 75IU injections, with PIO starting a few days before transfer. Unfortunately the transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am hoping to generate more embryos before prepping for a new FET.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness. My husband was undergoing cancer treatment while I was going through IVF-FET and they always made sure to check in to see how he was doing. I loved everyone on the staff.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
I had insurance coverage so the total cost of meds plus treatment was under $5000 total.
RMA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples.
King of Prussia

She [Dr. Gutmann] always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing...is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results.
Throughout both cycles [of IUI at RMA of Philadelphia] there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation...The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process... Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results. I felt very comfortable in her presence and confident in the treatment decisions that she made throughout my care. She understood how crazy the back and forth almost daily visits at times for monitoring could be and did her best to take my life/work schedule into consideration. I don't know that I could have had a better experience. She truly made this very stressful process go much smoother than I ever anticipated. I am blessed to have found such an amazing fertility Dr.
Dr. Gutmann is straight forward when it comes to describing your care, potential issues, all of your potential options. She doesn't sugar coat the facts, but she also lets you know she is here to help and fight with you through the entire process. My percentages for a successful pregnancy were extremely low and she was up front with that, but also had a thorough game plan in place to beat those odds. She is determined and very skilled at what she does.
Dr. Gutmann was always very warm and determined to help me achieve my dreams of becoming a mother. She is very straight forward and honest when answering questions, but always was there responding to my anxieties and helping me through this often stressful process. She always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing.
My first cycle began with Clomid and Ovedril leading to my IUI. My second cycle we used Letrozole to regulate my ovulation and Ovedril prior to the IUI. Throughout both cycles there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process. They returned phone calls and emails promptly and were always following up to ensure that you had all medications needed and thoroughly understood your next steps. The team there works amazingly well together. I am sad to leave and transition back to my OBGYN for monitoring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
All of the staff at RMA is warm, friendly, and thorough. Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
With each visit I had a $30 copay. All other treatment was covered except the cost of my donor sperm. I had to pay out of pocket for two rounds of donor sperm which ran around $2000.
Philadelphia

The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful, they are very kind and compassionate individuals and if I have any questions they respond back very quickly via phone or email...Strengths are communication and compassion by each individual, weakness would be the distance because I travel 100 miles and price because they are more expensive than other clinics I have looked at or went to...I feel like she [Dr. Allison Lange] didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person...We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
When i first met with dr Lange she thoroughly reviewed my records from previous doctors and cycles and explained how we would approach treatment with her and what to expect. Once I went through an egg retrieval and then frozen transfer which resulted in a chemical, she recommended further testing as far as a miscarriage panel and ERA biopsy. I also recommended some further tests like natural killer cells and she agreed and wrote for it. Once we reviewed all results she took a different approach this time around which i am currently in the process of getting ready for a transfer. We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
You are in good hands with a genuine and kind hearted physician that truly cares about her patients and developes a plan that works for you and if you have any questions or recommendations in your care she will take it into consideration and help as much as possible.
I felt like a human because every time I had questions or concerns Dr Lange would personally reach out to me via phone or in person and explain in detail what was going on. She did not push the work off to a nurse or anyone else. I would ask her what she would do in certain circumstances and she would be honest and tell me what she felt she would do and why. She is very compassionate and recommended different tests that she thought we help me during my treatment. I feel like she didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person.
Unfortunately I don’t have results yet because I am getting ready for another transfer which I discussed earlier the different protocols she is currently using in my care.
Not sure
She recommended single but was willing to do multiple due to recurrent miscarriages but explained the risks
Allison Lange
King of Prussia

IVF was [Dr. Martin Freedman's] first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos...is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
RMA really knows what they're doing, and I never felt like I was a number. Information was always relayed to me the same day from the nurses, and if I had any specific questions my doctor would respond to me directly via email as well. All scheduling was always simple, and financing explained all the information for my insurance and then self pay options clearly...IVF was the first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Doctor Freedman is one of the kindest and most empathetic doctors I have ever had. It was a long process, however from my first consult I knew I was in the right hands. Every set back we had, I never doubted my doctor and knew we would have the end result we had been waiting for. I can't recommend him enough.
IVF is a long and sometimes confusing process, Doctor Freedman is at the top of his field. Trust the information he’s providing, but remember to ask plenty of questions.
Doctor Freedman was empathetic the entire process, and explained every step of the way with us. We had a few setbacks and he was always optimistic our end result would be pregnancy.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Insurance lifetime max was utilized, after this was hit I paid the difference cash.
Doctor Freedman is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.

2016 - 2019, Successful
Dr Castelbaum always made me feel important during every appointment. I never felt rushed during any visit and always took the time to answer any questions or concerns I had...My ovaries did not respond well to the medications and they only retrieved 4 eggs resulting in one embryo which did not work. Dr Castelbaum expressed his concerns but said we could try a more aggressive protocol and added in micro Lupron. I responded much better with the added medication. This time they got 19 eggs and I ended with 3 embryos. We transferred one embryo, which resulted in a miscarriage, and froze the rest. The first frozen transfer worked and I had a daughter. I just had my second frozen transfer which always worked!
RMA has knowledgeable, friendly medical professionals working there. They make you feel comfortable every time your there. They never rush you and spend as much time as needed to answer any questions. They always get back to you in a timely manner...The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful! Everyone knew me by name and made me feel so comfortable every time I went for an appointment. They were also always helpful with any questions or concerns I had...I paid total around $17,000 for the 2 fresh cycles. Medications for fresh cycle were around $3-4K (with discounts). The frozen cycle was $3,000 and meds were about $500.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Castelbaum is amazing! I thought I would never have children of my own and now I have a daughter and another little one on the way! He gave me the family I was dreamed of! I HIGHLY recommend Dr Castelbaum and RMA!
If your having trouble conceiving, see Dr Castelbaum. You won’t regret it!
At every visit I was greeted by my first name as soon as I walked in the door. Dr Castelbaum always made me feel important during every appointment. I never felt rushed during any visit and always took the time to answer any questions or concerns I had.
I did two cycles of IVF. The first cycle I used Gonal-F, Meopur & cetrotide. My ovaries did not respond well to the medications and they only retrieved 4 eggs resulting in one embryo which did not work. Dr Castelbaum expressed his concerns but said we could try a more aggressive protocol and added in micro Lupron. I responded much better with the added medication. This time they got 19 eggs and I ended with 3 embryos. We transferred one embryo, which resulted in a miscarriage, and froze the rest. The first frozen transfer worked and I had a daughter. I just had my second frozen transfer which always worked!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance only covered diagnostics for IVF so most of the cost was out of pocket. I paid total around $17,000 for the 2 fresh cycles. Medications for fresh cycle were around $3-4K (with discounts). The frozen cycle was $3,000 and meds were about $500.
Langhorne
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. ... My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. ... We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more. ...
Mostly strengths with this clinic [RMA of Philadelphia]....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away. ... Melissa and Lindsay are top notch. If you call and they aren't available, you WILL get a call back on the same day. If you email, you WILL get a reply. They are super compassionate and are very invested in the care of their patients. Such sweet ladies!
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. His role was to help me get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more.
Trust in what he believes...his experience in this process speaks volumes.
I felt like a human. He is very down to earth and goes out of his way to speak directly with his patients, even on a a weekend.
My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. I ended up with 6 5AA embryos, sent for PGS. After PGS we had 3 normal males and 2 mosaic males. We got pregnant on the first transfer of a 5AA PGS normal male.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa & Lindsay)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Mostly strengths with this clinic....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away.
We had insurance (at the time) with a $6500 deductible. The deductible was met quickly,.then 80 percent was covered. For a full cycle, including monitoring, recurrent loss blood panel, karyotype testing and PGS testing, we paid about $5000 out of pocket.
He believes in PGS testing with one common goal, which is helping each mom have a healthy pregnancy with a healthy baby. He doesn't transfer multiple embryos if PGS tested.
Mechanicsburg
2015 - 2019, Successful
These nurses [at RMA of Philadelphia] cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them... I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I honestly can't think of a single weakness when it comes to Dr. Castelbaum. He is knowledgeable, compassionate, thorough, and kind. No two people are the same and he knows that and it shows in how he interacts with each of his patients. My husband and I brought embryos with us to Dr. Castelbaum from another facility. He was up front in telling us that he wanted his embryologist to review them because every clinic has their own guidelines for freezing and storing embryos and he wouldn't know what we had until they could look at them for themselves. After the first transfer with him from those embryos it resulted in a successful pregnancy where I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Upon returning to the office two years later we did 4 additional transfers. The first 2 were with our remaining embryos we had brought with us from the other facility. From those, we had 1 early miscarriage (blighted ovum) and 1 chemical pregnancy. We then did another round of injections for egg retrieval. First transfer from this round was a chemical pregnancy. Second transfer was successful and I'm currently 10 weeks, 3 days pregnant and was discharged to my OB a week ago. It's so easy to blame doctors for a failed embryo transfer. My failed transfers were devastating to me; but I also remember how shocked and upset Dr. Castelbaum was for us. We did not do genetic testing although it was recommended to us to reduce the risk of miscarriage. Even though we chose not to, we were never judged for it. I almost gave up after the third failed transfer. Emotionally, I didn't know if I could keep going. Mentally, I knew I wasn't ready to give up. I'll never forget what Dr. Castelbaum said to me on my last appointment: "I know you were ready to jump ship and I understand why. But I'm so glad you didn't. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. I'm glad I got to be a part of this and am so happy for you." These words will stick with me the rest of my life and I still tear up thinking about it. I could never thank him enough for all he's done for me and my husband.
Please realize Doctors are human. They can't give guaranteed results and they aren't perfect. Dr. Castelbaum loves what he does and it shows. If you want someone that will give you the brutal truth, yet deliver it in a compassionate way and someone who will truly fight for you Dr. Castelbaum is the guy to see.
I have been to two different facilities. The first one was like a meat market; standing room only and unless you had some news worthy fertility problem, you never saw the physicians, you always saw a nurse or a PA. At RMA I saw a Physician every time I went, and I was made to feel important. If I had to wait, I never minded because I knew the wait was due to them wanting to give every patient the same respect, time, and quality appointment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
These nurses cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic is a reflection of those who work there. If you read my full review of the Doctors and staff, you'll agree this clinic is fantastic. I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
I had insurance coverage for almost all of my treatments.
Dr. Castelbaum is a strong believer in only transferring one embryo. I was hesitant to agree but after he gave us the facts, I understood why and I knew he had my best interest in mind.
Langhorne
Dr.Freedman strongly encouraged a single embryo transfer due to our medical history. No history of miscarriage, etc...He has a great bedside manner and we felt comfortable during our time receiving treatment at RMA. He was always willing to answer any questions we had even outside of appointment via email, etc...He is extremely knowledgeable and my husband and I felt that we were under the best care during our IVF cycle and embryo transfer.
The nursing staff was so friendly and was great at explaining everything throughout the process. They were organized and we felt that they had our best interest in mind...We chose RMA due to their experience with IVF and specifically our infertility diagnosis. The staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. I would want a new patient to know to ask questions whenever they are unsure because the staff was always willing to speak with us.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr.Freedman was positive but also realistic regarding our situation. He is extremely knowledgeable and my husband and I felt that we were under the best care during our IVF cycle and embryo transfer.
I would recommend that they ask questions whenever they feel the need to. Dr.Freedman is great at explaining the process in an easy to understand way. We never felt rushed by him.
Dr.Freedman was wonderful to work with. He has a great bedside manner and we felt comfortable during our time receiving treatment at RMA. He was always willing to answer any questions we had even outside of appointment via email, etc.
We underwent IVF due to a male blockage. This involved sperm retrieval by a urologist he recommended. 5 embryos resulted from our IVF cycle and we then successfully transferred one of these embryos resulting in the birth of our 15 month old son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Our insurance covered the majority of our treatment but we do pay an annual storage fee for our remaining embryos and frozen sperm.
King of Prussia

I really like Dr Gutmann. She's present when I'm with her, I think she definitely considers me as an individual in my treatment, she answers my questions, she has a sense of humor, and she's empathetic. My only issue is it's hard to actually see her. An appointment takes a while to get if I want to talk to her/reassess. I usually end up seeing one of the other Drs on call when I go due to my cycle and the Drs schedules... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic [RMA] is clean...Really like the nursing staff here, they're all sweet. In the beginning I had some confusion- I guess they're used to people coming in for multiple cycles and knowing the routine, but at first I didn't know what the steps were and not everything was fully explained. Once I got used to the basic routine, it was fine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I feel like I did this a few questions ago... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc. I wish I could see her for all of my appointments for continuity, but I usually end up seeing a different Dr due to my cycle and the schedules of the Drs on call.
That FYI, you won't be dealing with just her, you get whichever Dr is in. Which isn't bad, they're all good. It would just be nice for continuity and questions.
I started out the first cycle without drugs because I got pregnant easily the first time. Second cycle I used Letrosol because there is supposedly a slightly lower risk of multiples than Clomid. Didn't like the side effects of Letrosol. Next 3 cycles with Clomid and Ovedril. 5 cycles total of IUI. About to start trying with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic is clean. I've brought my 4 year old daughter to most visits with me and they always welcome her and give her stickers.
$1200 per cycle for IUI, then additional cost of buying donor sperm online.
We haven't really dealt with this yet.
What specific things went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
One time I wasn't called to be told I needed Ovidril for a cycle until the pharmacy was already closed and I was supposed to take it that night.
King of Prussia

Dr. Castelbaum has all my information ready for me. Anytime I ask a question he has an answer for me and does not go looking through notes he knows my situation and I by face...I can not think of a negative even when I probably should be contacting the nurse, if I contact Dr. he always answer my question without hesitation. I have had no disappointments and I have always been treated with respect. Dr. Castelbaum makes me feel very comfortable in not so comfortable situations.
The nurse and office staff [at RMA] are ok but at times they can be rude and very unprofessional at times. They do not always provide the information you need and when you ask they make it seem as if you are getting on their nerves...This clinic do not offer a patient portal so you have to go to the office for everything. There are several offices for your convenience. You can choose any office that works for you. The office staff can sometimes be rude if you go on a busy day and they show little concern once you become a patient but not active at the time. It seems they are only concerned with active or potential patients.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is great. I can not think of a negative even when I probably should be contacting the nurse, if I contact Dr. he always answer my question without hesitation. I have had no disappointments and I have always been treated with respect. Dr. Castelbaum makes me feel very comfortable in not so comfortable situations.
Ask questions if you do not understand. Dr. Castelbaum has patience and will go over anything you need so do not be scared to ask if you don’t know.
I am in the beginning stage. We haven’t gotten to my protocol as of yet.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurse and office staff are ok but at times they can be rude and very unprofessional at times. They do not always provide the information you need and when you ask they make it seem as if you are getting on their nerves.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I am uncertain. I started off with insurance but I am now self pay and am waiting to get exact self pay amount.
Dr. Castelbaum will only transfer one embryo if you are under a certain age (35).
Langhorne

All the nurses [RMA of Philadelphia] were extremely compassionate and helpful. They always called when they said they would. They relayed any information from the doctor and if I had questions, they would get the answer from the doctor and call back. They would call to remind me of medicines I needed to take and explained every step of the process. They made the process more bearable....The weakness is the billing department. They incorrectly billed several times. When I called to explain that they incorrectly billed, they weren't very pleasant to deal with.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum was very positive and kept my spirits up during the low points of fertility treatments. He seemed confident that he would help get me pregnant and he did. There were some roadblocks that we had to get through but he always found the solution. He misdiagnosed me with unexplained infertility at first. During IVF, hydrosalpinx was found on my one fallopian tube. He quickly set up surgery to remove the tube and assured me that my chances of IVF success would be the same after my unilateral salpingectomy. Even though the diagnostic test missed the hydrosalpinx, I still felt confident with his care. It took longer than anticipated but the end result was a pregnancy. I'm currently 31 weeks and am forever grateful for his care.
Ask a lot of questions! He doesn't mind answering them
Dr. Castelbaum seemed to genuinely care and was always optimistic. He took the time to answer any questions me or my husband had. He thoroughly explained every step of the treatments he performed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
All the nurses were extremely compassionate and helpful. They always called when they said they would. They relayed any information from the doctor and if I had questions, they would get the answer from the doctor and call back. They would call to remind me of medicines I needed to take and explained every step of the process. They made the process more bearable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strengths are the doctors and nursing staff. The weakness is the billing department. They incorrectly billed several times. When I called to explain that they incorrectly billed, they weren't very pleasant to deal with.
With my insurance, IUIs we're covered. I paid a $40 copay each visit. And I paid for the medicine out of pocket. I don't recall the medicine prices. For IVF, we paid all out of pocket. We did the RMA assure plan which costs in total with meds about $30,000
He suggested one embryo transfer at a time because of my age.
Langhorne
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried....she may be a bit conservative in her approach....She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle... Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities [RMA- of Phila] are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run....There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions....I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is a wonderful physician. She is knowledgeable, compassionate, understanding and patient. She is very empathic. She always explained what to expect. If there were any complications or concerns, she would explain what they were and the best course of action. She didn't hesitate to ask her colleagues for their opinion in my care, when needed which I respect and consider a sign of confidence in her abilities. She doesn't allow pride to keep her from getting answers for her patients to obtain the best care possible for them.
Understanding that she may be a bit conservative in her approach.
Dr. Gutmann has been very invested in giving me the best possible chance of success. She has always gone the extra mile to respond to my questions and anxieties. She has called and emailed me directly, and she has helped me when I miscarried. She's been encouraging without sugar coating the odds. She's always been honest.
She had me undergo a hysteroscopy prior to beginning the cycle. A fibroid was found and surgery was advisedly. On repeat scope, another possible fibroid was found which wasn't clear and so an MRI was recommended and showed that there were two small fibroids which wouldn't interfere in pregnancy given their location. Even though this delayed the cycle it gave me the beatbox chance of having success and peace of mind. I did become pregnant with that first cycle
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
There were two primary nurse practitioners who worked with me since I was using donors. They were both very responsive to my questions. The other nurses were also responsive to my questions. I felt confident in their knowledge. They were all very compassionate and also invested in the success of their patients.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Their physicians and staff are their biggest strengths. The multiple locations are another strength. The facilities are well designed and comfortable. Their surgery center is extremely well run. Weaknesses- I can't think of any.
Last year, I had a different insurance which covered most of my expenses. However, this year, my insurance isn't willing to cover more than 1 IVF cycle and only if done before April 29th. So, I'm not sure of out of pocket costs
I completely agreed with her reasoning for single embryo transfer given the increased risk to me and any potential fetus with multiples. MFM agreed as well.

2014 - 2017, Unsuccessful
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement.... To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey.
It [RMA of PA-Willow Grove] is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.... From start to finish they were incredible with the loss and the BFP they were a great source of comfort and compassion I cannot say enough about the staff.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
My wife and I originally went for me to get inseminated and after many heartbreaks we turned to Dr. Castlebaum for my wife's insemination. After two iui procedures she became pregnant with our son. After the nurse called with the results he followed up with my wife to express his excitement. After Tatum was born we sent Dr. Castlebaum a birth announcement he again called us to express his delight and tell us how adorable our son is. To him it is not a job he genuinely wants you to have a baby and just wants to help you along your journey. We had been to another place where all I can describe it as is being cattle herded we were literally just a number and a paycheck and with no fertility coverage that's not what you want. Dr. Castlebaum makes you feel like part of his family and when you're struggling to have a baby that is so important.
Ask him anything he loves questions and he loves to hatch the plan with you. He doesn't tell you what "his plan" is for you instead it's your collaboration.
I am in a same sex marriage and he listens to everything we have said along the way we even went to another doctor for Ivf and when we returned to him for my wife to get iui all he wanted to know was if we were successful at the other office. He's amazing and we will never seek care from anyone else again!
Iui twice with me using letrezol and hcg trigger shot one was positive pregnancy that ended in mc the other did not work. With my wife he did two iui no med assist and the first did not work the second did!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It is bright and welcoming they have separate locations for consultations and where they tell you about billing so it is not all clinical. The rooms are warm and bright and the whole place is very clean. They have artist pictures on the wall a lot having to do with fertility that you can purchase if you like it.
I believe the iui was 1,000 plus the cost of meds but I'm not 100% sure I took a new job and it did have coverage for iui so with my wife there were specialist copay so 40.00 each visit. The sperm cost 890 per vial and we have purchased a total of 9 and if costs between 250-400 to ship.