RMA of Philadelphia

Abington (formerly Willow Grove)
1151 Old York Rd
1015 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556

2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. ... He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case.
I don't see any weaknesses. It is an exemplary clinic and others should take note of how well it is run not only with efficiency but compassion and kindness as well. I would recommend RMA King of Prussia to anyone seeking ART. ... MA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples. ... The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness ...
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum genuinely cares about the patients he works with. He was warm, friendly, and funny when appropriate. He treated me and my partner with the utmost respect and dignity. He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case. I absolutely love being a patient of his and wish all doctors had the knowledge and kindness he freely displays.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Take him over any other doctor, he is truly one of a kind.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is a wonderful man and doctor to work with.
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We did a fairly aggressive antagonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur then Cetrotide. I responded extremely well to the protocol. At retrieval I had 25 eggs, with 23 being mature. 16 fertilized with ICSI and 8 embryos made it to day 5 for PGS biopsy and freezing. I did not respond well to the oral/vaginal estrogen, so we performed a mini-stim protocol for the FET. I did 10 days of follistim 75IU injections, with PIO starting a few days before transfer. Unfortunately the transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am hoping to generate more embryos before prepping for a new FET.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness. My husband was undergoing cancer treatment while I was going through IVF-FET and they always made sure to check in to see how he was doing. I loved everyone on the staff.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
I had insurance coverage so the total cost of meds plus treatment was under $5000 total.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples.

2014 - 2019, Unknown Success
I wish I would see Dr. Freedman more often as well as hear from him throughout a cycle. I know he is making decisions behind the scenes, but I usually only hear about them through the nursing team. He makes small adjustments as needed, but I'm not always aware of what those changes are expected to accomplish.... Several times Dr. Freedman has called late at night to discuss results and discuss next steps.
The clinic [RMA of PA- King of Prussia] has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.... Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Come with lots of questions and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
My first retrieval I did 2 weeks of birth control followed by an antagonist protocol. Part way through my Menopur dosage was raised. I stimmed for 11 days and retrieved 8 eggs, all were mature, 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to blast. Both came back mosaic. My second protocol we eliminated the birth control because Dr. Freedman thought it may have over suppressed me and we could get more eggs. Same medicine and we retrieved 13 eggs, 8 were mature, 6 fertilized, and none made it to blast. We were shocked and have no good reason why it happened. I am planning a microdose lupron protocol next month.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
Currently covered by insurance
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
He is very adamant that single is best, especially at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved.
King of Prussia
Dr.Freedman strongly encouraged a single embryo transfer due to our medical history. No history of miscarriage, etc...He has a great bedside manner and we felt comfortable during our time receiving treatment at RMA. He was always willing to answer any questions we had even outside of appointment via email, etc...He is extremely knowledgeable and my husband and I felt that we were under the best care during our IVF cycle and embryo transfer.
The nursing staff was so friendly and was great at explaining everything throughout the process. They were organized and we felt that they had our best interest in mind...We chose RMA due to their experience with IVF and specifically our infertility diagnosis. The staff was incredibly friendly and knowledgeable. I would want a new patient to know to ask questions whenever they are unsure because the staff was always willing to speak with us.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr.Freedman was positive but also realistic regarding our situation. He is extremely knowledgeable and my husband and I felt that we were under the best care during our IVF cycle and embryo transfer.
I would recommend that they ask questions whenever they feel the need to. Dr.Freedman is great at explaining the process in an easy to understand way. We never felt rushed by him.
Dr.Freedman was wonderful to work with. He has a great bedside manner and we felt comfortable during our time receiving treatment at RMA. He was always willing to answer any questions we had even outside of appointment via email, etc.
We underwent IVF due to a male blockage. This involved sperm retrieval by a urologist he recommended. 5 embryos resulted from our IVF cycle and we then successfully transferred one of these embryos resulting in the birth of our 15 month old son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Our insurance covered the majority of our treatment but we do pay an annual storage fee for our remaining embryos and frozen sperm.
King of Prussia

Communication [RMA of Phil] is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
We went to Dr. Freedman based on a recommendation. However, we barely saw him or spoke to him. He put us on some medications and supplements and then we had a retrieval 2 weeks later. Both our retrievals resulted in eggs but they didn't fertilize. However, after the second he said there is nothing he can do for us and we should look at adoption and/or donor eggs. I spoke with other doctors who said that it would take a minimum of three months for the metphormin and supplements to fully make an effect on my body which he didn't give a chance. When we went through the percentages in the beginning it wasn't until the third chance where we would reach a higher percentage chance. We weren't given a proper explanation when we were told this almost a week after our retrieval (the week was the worst). I believe the clinic is more concerned with their national success rates.
If you prescribe and recommend medication and supplements, give the patients a fair chance in allowing them to work. Also, provide better communication methods if you are not available have another doctor call. Do not leave hopeful patients waiting for over a week to get any answers.
we were in and out and although dr freedman and guttman knew us, the rest were nice but were like an assembly line.
VERY high dose shots of Gonal F/Follostim with Menopur and then a trigger shot (cetrocide).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Most of the nurses were nice. Jen though was only nice sometimes and not too personable.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Communication is not the greatest of strengths which I think is needed when dealing with patients who are going through such a difficult time. The ones who drew blood were nice but I feel that only 1 out of the 5-6 I saw actually knew how to do it without being painful...the rest hurt quite bad each time. the nurse staff with the doctors were pleasant. the call backs were always inconsistent and the information provided sometimes were thorough and sometimes was not. ifeel that they should provide you with the same numbers each time and then when you are on another round, they should give you your previous to compare to versus us trying to keep track of it all.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
when we went in for our procedure, they had it noted that it would be a transfer although i was under the impression it was a freeze all....after i mentioned it twice they checked and realized they had the wrong thing noted.
King of Prussia

I really like Dr Gutmann. She's present when I'm with her, I think she definitely considers me as an individual in my treatment, she answers my questions, she has a sense of humor, and she's empathetic. My only issue is it's hard to actually see her. An appointment takes a while to get if I want to talk to her/reassess. I usually end up seeing one of the other Drs on call when I go due to my cycle and the Drs schedules... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic [RMA] is clean...Really like the nursing staff here, they're all sweet. In the beginning I had some confusion- I guess they're used to people coming in for multiple cycles and knowing the routine, but at first I didn't know what the steps were and not everything was fully explained. Once I got used to the basic routine, it was fine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I feel like I did this a few questions ago... I like her, she answers questions, treats me as an individual, good sense of humor, seems to know what she's talking about, etc. I wish I could see her for all of my appointments for continuity, but I usually end up seeing a different Dr due to my cycle and the schedules of the Drs on call.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
That FYI, you won't be dealing with just her, you get whichever Dr is in. Which isn't bad, they're all good. It would just be nice for continuity and questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I started out the first cycle without drugs because I got pregnant easily the first time. Second cycle I used Letrosol because there is supposedly a slightly lower risk of multiples than Clomid. Didn't like the side effects of Letrosol. Next 3 cycles with Clomid and Ovedril. 5 cycles total of IUI. About to start trying with IVF.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like it, but I wish the same Dr were available at the location each time I went (more or less). They rotate locations though so I saw the 2 other drs more than my primary. Staff is nice and helpful. They seem to understand that fertility is a stressful/touchy subject so they make the visits nice. Waiting room is nice. Clinic is clean. I've brought my 4 year old daughter to most visits with me and they always welcome her and give her stickers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
$1200 per cycle for IUI, then additional cost of buying donor sperm online.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
We haven't really dealt with this yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
One time I wasn't called to be told I needed Ovidril for a cycle until the pharmacy was already closed and I was supposed to take it that night.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Castelbaum] is very responsive by email... very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed... If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
The nurses and other staff in the surgery center [at RMA] are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day... They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very experienced, knowledgeable, caring, and personable doctor. He is straightforward about his decisions and doesn't shy away from giving bad news when he needs to. He takes the time to answer questions during appointments and will schedule consults as needed. He is very responsive by email, as are the nurses who work at RMA.
Don't shy away from asking questions, even if you are bumping up against the limits of knowledge in the field of Reproductive Endocrinology. If he doesn't know the answer, he will tell you. He is a great doctor with a great deal of experience, but there are a lot of unknowns in this field, and being a well-educated patient is so important.
Dr. Castelbaum and the RMA staff are busy, but take the time to greet and talk with everyone. This is especially true in the surgery center--the nurses there are truly kind and caring. The office usually runs on time and seems to prioritize getting patients in and out of the office within a reasonable amount of time. If there is something you need, they will put you in touch with the right person to get your questions answered.
My first protocol was a typical antagonist protocol. It went worse than expected, given my age and other lab test results, but still yielded mature eggs that fertilized with ICSI. We decided to have another egg retrieval in order to bank more embryos prior to doing a transfer. Dr. Castelbaum recommended a micro flare protocol, which unfortunately yielded no mature eggs. We are trying again with another antagonist protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The RMA nurses are excellent and very communicative. They are also very compassionate and take the time to get to know you as a patient. They are quick to respond to email and phone calls. In any case, it is still important to take the time to keep yourself organized when it comes to your medication supply and dates for upcoming cycles, and notify them quickly if you notice any problems or discrepancies.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA as a clinic is excellent. They are open every single day of the year, so you never have to worry about cycle timing due to the clinic being closed. Their surgery center is also very comfortable and easy to access, given that it is attached to their KOP office and shares much of the same staff. The nurses and other staff in the surgery center are great. The doctors rotate, so you may not see the same doctor during each visit, but I do not mind this feature because it allows the clinic to be open every day.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success...Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
They [nurses at RMA] literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support...They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
My husband and I went through over two years of fertility treatment before welcoming our daughter. This included an IUI cycle that resulted in the premature birth and loss of a son at 22 weeks of pregnancy, three ectopic pregnancies during subsequent monitored and/or IUI cycles, removal of my Fallopian tubes, and one cycle of IVF. Through it all, Dr. Gutmann was patient, caring, compassionate, and encouraging. Her wet sense of humor helped us through even the darkest of days, and her clear and concise communication style helped us understand our current plan. There aren't words to express how thankful we are to have had her guidance and expertise as we worked through each failure and ultimately found success.
Don't be afraid to take notes. You will have questions, and Dr. Gutmann will have a lot of answers and information...sometimes all at once, and it won't always be easy to remember everything that was said. That's ok. She's also open to your suggestions and will guide you...don't be afraid to advocate for yourself! In a best-case scenario, you'll feel an active part of the "team" at RMA.
Dr. Gutmann individualized treatment each cycle. Each time we failed, she would call - no matter the time of day or the day of the week - to review what had happened and plan next steps. She was sympathetic and helped us maintain a positive attitude through some very difficult losses. She never once made us think she she didn't believe we'd ultimately find success.
For my IUI cycles, I took 5 mg of Femara on days 4-8 and was monitored via bloodwork and ultrasound before IUI. For my IVF cycle, I underwent an antagonist protocol with follistim and menopur before freezing my embryos and surgically removing my tubes. My FET cycle involved orsl and vaginal estrace, as well as baby aspirin, estrogen patches, and eventually both progesterone in oil injections and Crinone. Adjustments were made after each monitoring appointment as we went.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses at RMA are excellent! They respond to emails and phone calls in a timely manner, explain bloodwork results fully, and provide emotional support like no other medical practice. They literally and figuratively held my hand through every setback, and even came in early one Saturday morning to administer methotrexate so that I could spend the rest of that weekend regrouping and trying to stay positive after being diagnosed with an ectopic pregnancy. I wouldn't have made it through treatment without their excellent support.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Treatment at RMA is flexible and individualized. They open early at 7 am each morning for monitoring, and will readily call back even if you try to get in touch after hours or on weekends. They're open 365 days per year and will work with you to design treatment plans that cater to your specific situation.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Philadelphia.
Monitoring innthe mornings was well-run. Rarely would I wait more than 15 minutes, and rarely were patients overscheduled, but if I required and early-morning appointment they were always able to squeeze me in during a convenient time. The clinic strikes a great balance between giving patients their time and making sure everyone is seen.
The clinic offers various treatment package, including a shared-risk program for IVF. For us, we were lucky that insurance covered most of our testing and procedures. We only paid co-pays and coinsurance.
Due to my age and history of pregnancy loss due to cervical insufficiency, Dr. Gutmann and I both agreed to transfer only one embryo at a time.
2015, Successful
Dr. Gutman was compassionate, but realistic, which we appreciated. In a good way, there was no sugarcoating. She was patient with us as we slowly accepted our need for more aggressive fertility treatments in order to have the family we imagined. All the while, she provided clear explanations about procedures and helped us understand our options... She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We love that that clinic [RMA] is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medication
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We thought Dr. Gutman was terrific, and she will always hold a special place in our hearts for bringing us to a place where we now have the family we desired. Along the way, we appreciated her no-nonsense, upfront explanations of the way things were, step by step, good or bad. That might not work for everyone.
There was conversation between Dr. Gutmann and us, not just dry clinical conversation. She also genuinely seemed to be on the ride with us, wanting us to succeed. When our first cycle failed, she called with condolences and I believe she truly was heartbroken for us. She knows what her science can do for families, bringing love into this world, and I felt she was honestly disappointed when things didn't go the way we all wanted them to.
We were at another clinic first, but felt the care was lacking, so when we came to Dr. Gutman we had already been through the first steps of trying to overcome fertility, which was artificial insemination for us. It failed. With Dr. Gutman, we went right into egg retrieval, which was, unfortunately, not successful. We felt she was responsibly prudent with her dosages of the fertility medications, which included Bravelle and others I can't remember at this time. Something else--during initial conversations with Dr. Gutman, once we revealed we were hoping to have two children and transferring multiple embryos would be welcome, she (once again, responsibly) declined to participate such treatment, for the sake of baby's health and mom's health. As much as we really would have loved a two-for-one, we knew she was right and stuck with her and her professional opinion that we trusted.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
They were all very friendly, professional, and sensitive. We always felt welcomed, warmly received, and like they were interested where we were on our journey. (Part of the reason we left the first clinic we tried was because of the nursing staff. Indifference and insensitivity come to mind in thinking about them.)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We love that that clinic is inclusive and helps same-sex families achieve the families they desire. Location was a big plus for us with RMA--two of the offices were convenient for us when it came to blood draws, etc. Having the acupuncturist on-site was convenient as well. The facility was clean and always spotless. The staff gave very good, clear instruction about how to administer the medications and shots. They were also very helpful with suggesting rebate programs, etc., for the expensive medications. One dark spot in all the wonderfulness we experienced with Dr. Gutman and RMA came from the billing director out of the Willow Grove office. When our IVF cycle was canceled because there weren't any eggs to retrieve, the refund process was explained to us by the woman who handed billing in King of Prussia (she was wonderful). When it came time to enact the refund, her supervisor (that would be the woman in Willow Grove) got involved and was very abrupt and unfriendly with us, seemingly because either we misunderstood how we would be refunded, or because the woman in King of Prussia explained it to us incorrectly. We've always wondered if the King of Prussia woman got into trouble for either offering to give us a refund in a way that wasn't allowed, or for misleading us.
$18,000 for the failed IVF and egg retrieval $6,000 for the medications $3,000 ICSI genetic testing for the embryos Don't remember how much the frozen egg and embryo transfer process cost
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Actually, it was probably at the Willow Grove clinic. It was that whole billing thing I mentioned in my last essay response!
2011 - 2012, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else..At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement.
RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She [Dr. Gutmann] didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos...Everyone was on time, focused on my protocol and comfort, as well as communicated in a timely fashion...There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a competent physician. She is well read, very thorough and doesn't rush. Her wait time is minimal. She explained everything thoroughly. She is good with procedures. You want 200 characters but I can't think of anything else
Be a young patient with financial resources
At first, I felt that she really wanted to help me. After I didn't get results and my lack of insurance to cover injections, I felt like I was a less interesting patient. Also, one time she said it was because I waited too long. That was a very unfair statement. I didn't wait too long to try infertility treatment on purpose. I didn't have insurance and I had other personal issues that interfered with pursuing fertility. I still believe I can get pregnant. I am also disappointed that she didn't recommend acupuncture early on or start me on metformin
My cycle is fairly regular. We used medicine like cloud and letrizole to induce ovulation along with hug injection to facilitate ovulation before undergoing IUI. This was followed by topical progesterone as I had a little dip in mid cycle progesterone level. I was never told I had poor eggs. We wanted to do IVF but I couldn't afford it. All of my blood work was ok. I also had a removal of uterine polyp which was small but she wanted to make sure that there was no problem with embryos implantation
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
No negative comments
Co pays were in line with my insurance. There was one fee associated with ICI that was charged to me because I wasn't using my husbands sperm/ I had to rely on donor sperm. I complained to the clinic, they said it was an insurance issue. It really upset me. I was a single mother and this felt like discrimination and I didn't really care if is an insurance issue or not. My insurance would have paid for the injectable medication if it were given in a medical short procedure unit. They said they didn't do it that way. I was not able to get full benefit of IVF due to these hurdles. I work in healthcare. I am able to be responsible for my own care. The drug cost was out of my control and I guess it was out of their control. I decided to pursue embryos donation. RMA had slim pickings when it came to donor embryos. She didn't refer me to the competing local clinic who I found out had a much more ample supply of donor embryos

Unknown Success
Dr. Guttman is extremely informed of current research and trends. She provides as much information as you ask her for--ask lots of questions if you want more info. She tends to regulate the information she gives on the patient's needs. And doesn't get tired on answering questions, ever...was very attentive, and adapted to my needs in how she treated me. She was especially supportive and empathetic if I was ever in pain during a test or procedure, she checked in on me regularly and didn't rush when I asked additional information about further research and context.
I had to request they [RMA of Philadelphia] send information to my primary care doctor a few times before it was completed. Also, they didn't let me know my thyroid results were super high before the last insemination...As a single woman in this process, the warmth of the clinic substantially helped my sense of loneliness at being in this journey. The staff became my community I could count on for a smile everytime. weaknesses: only thing on my last insemination, didn't give me thyroid blood tests back before the insemination.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask lots of questions, you'll find a wealth of information. Check test results before your insemination, too.
Dr. Guttman was very attentive, and adapted to my needs in how she treated me. She was especially supportive and empathetic if I was ever in pain during a test or procedure, she checked in on me regularly and didn't rush when I asked additional information about further research and context.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Kelly)
Loved Kelly, I was excited everytime I saw her, extremely warm, compassionate, and professional, too.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: they are extremely organized, give timely call-backs, and are super-clean, and super friendly. June always said hi warmly when I arrived and remembered me offering comfort. As a single woman in this process, the warmth of the clinic substantially helped my sense of loneliness at being in this journey. The staff became my community I could count on for a smile everytime. weaknesses: only thing on my last insemination, didn't give me thyroid blood tests back before the insemination.
costs were excellent, mostly covered by my insurance.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I had to request they send information to my primary care doctor a few times before it was completed. Also, they didn't let me know my thyroid results were super high before the last insemination.
2012 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Gutmann] is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine. My success was limited in part to the fact that my insurance coverage was limited and affordable injection medicine was not available to me...She never used the term unexplained infertility but I suspect that is what I have. We planned on injections but insurance would only cover it if the medicine was given in a medical short procedure unit. When I informed her of that , she didn’t think it was a good idea
[RMA of Phila] Efficient, accessible, comfortable....Parking was good. Business staff helpful. Place is clean, modern equipment. Short wait time for appointment booking. Short time in waiting room. Good magazine selection...[Nursing Staff] Pretty knowledgeable and thorough....She [Dr. Gutmann] is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine...I had to pay out of pocket for sperm
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is a good advocate, competent with both medical and procedural aspects of infertility medicine. My success was limited in part to the fact that my insurance coverage was limited and affordable injection medicine was not available to me
Start your infertility journey early and don’t mess around with IUI. Go straight to IVF, donor eggs, whatever. I personally believe that if you cannot get pregnant naturally IUI is not enough to get you pregnant. Be more aggressive in pursuing pregnancy
She was very determined and committed to helping me get pregnant
We used Clomid, letrozole and IUI. I have regular cycle, normal uterus and endometrial lining. Tubes were patent. She never used the term unexplained infertility but I suspect that is what I have. We planned on injections but insurance would only cover it if the medicine was given in a medical short procedure unit. When I informed her of that , she didn’t think it was a good idea
Pretty knowledgeable and thorough
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Efficient, accessible, comfortable. 200 words? Really? Parking was good. Business staff helpful. Place is clean, modern equipment. Short wait time for appointment booking. Short time in waiting room. Good magazine selection
I had HRA plan. I had expected costs. My pharmacy plan did not cover injections. I had to pay out of pocket for sperm
No experience
2021 - 2022, Successful
Dr. Thorne was responsive to all questions and provided comprehensive answers. Good with communication and had a friendly vibe. We were empowered to make decisions to worked best for us. Dr. Thorne was honest about statistics and course of treatment...Standard IUI - I don’t believe there was anything unusual about our protocol. I didn’t need a trigger shot because I ovulated on my own...
The nursing team [at RMA of Philadelphia] was extremely responsive and I liked being able to communicate via portal. All questions and requests were responded to very promptly...Easy to communicate and schedule. The financial department took care of all insurance related matters. I was pleased with my care. Might not be the best fit for someone with a complicated case as it seems they use very standard protocols....
How was your experience with Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Thorne addressed all of my questions and concerns promptly. My partner and I were encouraged to make the decisions that felt best for us after being given information.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey Thorne used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Christie)
The nursing team was extremely responsive and I liked being able to communicate via portal. All questions and requests were responded to very promptly. I was very pleased.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia.
Everything was covered by my insurance, I only had to pay a specialist copay for visits.
King of Prussia

She [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] is a little blunt and to the point but is compassionate as well, which I have found is a great mix for a doctor to have. She also took the time to call me personally after my failed cycles and to provide feedback on next steps. She came up with a new protocol for us which we were so thankful for. Overall, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking help in conceiving...As we PGS tested our embryos and as we are u dear 35, Dr. Gutmann would only let us transfer one embryo. This is the general practice at RMA.
We have been pleased with RMA’s clinic and surgery center. Appointment times are generally on time. Location in King if Prussia is great for us and they have lots of other convenient locations in the area...Overall the nursing staff is pleasant to work with. There are a few nurses that I see more than others since I go to the same RMA location. They remember me and are professional and attentive...we PGS tested our embryos and as we are u dear 35, Dr. Gutmann would only let us transfer one embryo. This is the general practice at RMA.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We have been seeing Dr. Gutmann for almost a year. She is extremely knowledgeable and I trust her with my care. We have had a couple different procedures with her and she is always very professional. She is a little blunt and to the point but is compassionate as well, which I have found is a great mix for a doctor to have. She also took the time to call me personally after my failed cycles and to provide feedback on next steps. She came up with a new protocol for us which we were so thankful for. Overall, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking help in conceiving.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We had insurance coverage during our treatment.
2020, Consult
Dr. Lange is very thoughtful, considerate, warm, and sensitive to my needs! She is a very good listener and I always felt comfortable speaking to her. One thing that I especially appreciate is that I feel she weighs things out carefully and is not quick to rush into anything...She seems very skilled and knowledge and I really have confidence in her
I found this clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] to be very organized and the staff seemed very caring and patient. The staff was quick to return emails. The office was also very clean. I liked how there was more than one location so I could go to the office that Dr. Lange was at...All the nurses were warm, friendly, and very quick to respond to emails.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Lange is very thoughtful, considerate, warm, and sensitive to my needs! She is a very good listener and I always felt comfortable speaking to her. One thing that I especially appreciate is that I feel she weighs things out carefully and is not quick to rush into anything. I only started seeing her recently but I right away intuitely felt like I could trust her! She seems very skilled and knowledge and I really have confidence in her. She is very patient with questions and I feel she takes her time in trying to explain things. I highly recommend her!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
She was very sensitive and caring and I always had the impression that she truly had my best interests in mind!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
All the nurses were warm, friendly, and very quick to respond to emails.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I found this clinic to be very organized and the staff seemed very caring and patient. The staff was quick to return emails. The office was also very clean. I liked how there was more than one location so I could go to the office that Dr. Lange was at.
Allison Lange
King of Prussia

[Dr. Arthur Castelbaum has a] Very good bedside manner and patience. Did not personalize my treatment or change protocol after multiple losses. Was willing to discuss other treatment options but would not prescribe himself. Referred to different doctors and forced to jump through hoops...Do not use if you have a history of miscarriages...Only willing to do single embryo transfer...Will only seem patients between 7-10 am no matter the circumstances Always on time.
Poor scheduling [at RMA of Philadelphia]. Not willing to work around your schedule. Will only seem patients between 7-10 am no matter the circumstances Always on time. Friendly and clean environment. Comfortable waiting area...The nursing staff was wonderful...[Dr. Arthur Castelbaum has a] Very good bedside manner and patience. Did not personalize my treatment or change protocol after multiple losses. Was willing to discuss other treatment options but would not
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do not use if you have a history of miscarriages
Good bedside manner. Did not personalize my care or protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff was wonderful
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Poor scheduling. Not willing to work around your schedule. Will only seem patients between 7-10 am no matter the circumstances Always on time. Friendly and clean environment. Comfortable waiting area.
It was covered under insurance
Only willing to do single embryo transfer
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Only one time did they fail to call me with results. Otherwise the staff was excellent
King of Prussia
He [Dr. Thorne] was a great doctor that always communicated clearly and answered all my questions compassionately but throughly. He also considered alternatives to medication rather than sticking to one course of action and not considering my wishes. He also explained each step and what to expect. I would recommend him to anyone considering IVF.
They [RMA of Philadelphia staff] were very flexible with scheduling and always had early morning appointments available. I never had to wait too long. They also help with talking to your insurance company before treatment so you fully understand the cost. Their surgical center was fantastic. The nurses made you comfortable and the doctors are all friendly.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
He was a great doctor that always communicated clearly and answered all my questions compassionately but throughly. He also considered alternatives to medication rather than sticking to one course of action and not considering my wishes. He also explained each step and what to expect. I would recommend him to anyone considering IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
He is the best!
He was kind and always took the time to explain everything that was going on and why.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They were very flexible with scheduling and always had early morning appointments available. I never had to wait too long. They also help with talking to your insurance company before treatment so you fully understand the cost. Their surgical center was fantastic. The nurses made you comfortable and the doctors are all friendly.
King of Prussia
[Dr. Jacqueline Guttman] is very knowledgeable, responsive and caring. If you ask her a question she not only has an answer but will often relate it to what study the information is from. Her knowledge is very comforting in a scary process. She's done a fantastic job and as a result we're currently 9 weeks pregnant. We would absolutely recommend her to any friends or family...clearly cared about my wife and helping us succeed in becoming parents.
RMA [of Philadelphia] always treated my wife and me well. They're finance department will advocate for you to your insurance company on your behalf. The nursing staff made my wife feel at ease during her visits. The equipment and technology they use is astonishing. They're very responsive to phone calls and emails with questions...Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable, responsive and caring. If you ask her a question she not only has an answer but will often relate it to what study the information is from. Her knowledge is very comforting in a scary process. She's done a fantastic job and as a result we're currently 9 weeks pregnant. We would absolutely recommend her to any friends or family.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman clearly cared about my wife and helping us succeed in becoming parents.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA always treated my wife and me well. They're finance department will advocate for you to your insurance company on your behalf. The nursing staff made my wife feel at ease during her visits. The equipment and technology they use is astonishing. They're very responsive to phone calls and emails with questions.
King of Prussia
[Dr.Jacqueline Gutman] I felt very welcomed and cared for while there. She gave her diagnosis and treatment plan with a very direct answer. She was veery compassionate and understanding to our needs. If a treatment did not work, she would have a back up plan or offer to try again. She does not give up....She was very understanding and caring....
The staff [RMA of Phila - King of Prussia] leaves all the patients feel very welcomed. They are willing to take time to answer any questions that you may have. They do not rush you out. They are very compassionate and understanding to what we are going through....[Nursing Staff] Very compassionate always felt welcomed...I felt very welcomed and cared for while there.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is very compassionate and understanding.
She was very understanding and caring.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Very compassionate always felt welcomed
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The staff leaves all the patients feel very welcomed. They are willing to take time to answer any questions that you may have. They do not rush you out. They are very compassionate and understanding to what we are going through.

2020 - 2021, Successful
She [Dr. Lange] was so thorough in the consultation and asked us in-depth, probing questions to get to know us and our history so well. There was no perfunctory presentation. The consultation was engaging, personal, and customized. She was also positive...Her instructions and care communication are all done through her nurse, who I loved, but when I needed to talk to her directly to get her thoughts on what path we should take moving forward as we debated another cycle, she was there for me.
They were welcoming, friendly, personable, and efficient! I didn't know before this experience how a fertility clinic worked and how different doctors rotate through the daily monitoring schedule, the testing and retrieval surgery center, etc. It's a machine...She [nurse] was 100% thorough, instructive, clear, compassionate, and reliable. She responded so quickly when I had a question or needed anything. I was in touch with her more than anyone else in the clinic, and I never had any doubt about her being invested in us, and I think she was a major part of our success and our overall happiness with RMA.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Lange was methodical, consistent, extremely knowledgeable, and made me feel like she was truly invested in us and our success. I never thought that she missed anything or wasn't paying attention or was hesitant to make adjustments as needed. She studied my chart, my case, my results, and I felt like I was in very good hands throughout all 4 cycles. Her personality is somewhat reserved and matter-of-fact and not overly chatty or social, so I didn't feel the same rapport or camaraderie with her that I had with some of the other doctors at the clinic, but because I felt so comfortable and confident with her oversight and medical care, I didn't especially need that from her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Expect her to take excellent care of you "behind the scenes" but probably be more reserved in the in-person appointments and not spend her valuable time making a lot of small talk while doing the exam. Her instructions and care communication are all done through her nurse, who I loved, but when I needed to talk to her directly to get her thoughts on what path we should take moving forward as we debated another cycle, she was there for me.
From the initial consultation, I knew Dr. Lange would be "the one". She was so thorough in the consultation and asked us in-depth, probing questions to get to know us and our history so well. There was no perfunctory presentation. The consultation was engaging, personal, and customized. She was also positive. At my age (almost 41 at the time of consultation), I knew the odds, but talked about possibilities and how this could work, not all the reasons why it might not.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
My first two cycles were antagonist protocols - 150 Menopur & 300 Gonal-F for a few days, then I started Cetrotide, and finally we did an Hcg trigger shot 36 hours before egg retrieval. Dr. Lange noticed that despite my advanced age, I was a hyper-responder to the stimulants/gonadotropins, and some of my follicles were growing very very rapidly right away. It created asynchronous follicular growth, meaning we would have to trigger when at least half of them were ready, but it left many of them small and immature. So I had a large number of eggs retrieved but only about 50% of them were mature. Dr. Lange then moved me to an agonist protocol in which I would start Lupron 10 or more days before the stimulants to fully suppress my hormones, then go into 150 Menopur and 300 Gonal-F while continuing a very low dose of Lupron until the final Hcg trigger shot. This protocol dramatically increased the total number of eggs retrieved, and the percentage of mature eggs retrieved did slightly improve in the third and fourth cycles as well.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Samantha (Sammi))
Sammi and I got to know one another very well during our year of 4 IVF cycles! She was 100% thorough, instructive, clear, compassionate, and reliable. She responded so quickly when I had a question or needed anything. I was in touch with her more than anyone else in the clinic, and I never had any doubt about her being invested in us, and I think she was a major part of our success and our overall happiness with RMA.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
From the front-desk staff to the nurses that had to draw blood to the entire team of doctors that rotate each day for monitoring, I had a wonderful experience. They were welcoming, friendly, personable, and efficient! I didn't know before this experience how a fertility clinic worked and how different doctors rotate through the daily monitoring schedule, the testing and retrieval surgery center, etc. It's a machine. They have to time things so carefully that the system has to work perfectly. As I continued to watch how they organize appointments and calls to maximize effectiveness and efficiency and stay on top of every patient's care, I really was in awe. I have nothing negative to say about the clinic at all. Even though Dr. Lange was my primary doctor, I always felt that there was a huge team of people working for us and rooting for us the entire time.
Monitoring was an efficient, well-oiled machine for sure. You were given about a 2.5-hour window early each morning for these, and regardless of whether there was 1 person in the waiting room or 10, I felt like I never waited for more than 15 minutes to be seen. It was a very quick in-and-out for bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring. Dr. Lange was more often in another clinic than in the one I went to, so I didn't see her as much for monitoring, but that didn't bother me at all. I got to know the other doctors who did monitoring in my clinic location quite well and really loved them, and I always knew that at the end of each day, Dr. Lange was the one reviewing my results and communicating them to my nurse Sammi to communicate to me. I was very impressed with the entire system.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance covered all of my fertility testing and my medication, but it did not cover treatment. An IFV cycle with ICSI was about $14,000 and included embryo transfer. The only extra costs each cycle were the egg retrieval (about $400) and the genetic testing for any embryos, which was done through Foundation for Embryonic Competence.
Describe Allison Lange's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
My doctor and the clinic strongly recommended that only one embryo be transferred at a time, and they explained why via the increased risks to mother and baby(ies), and I did not hesitate to follow their advice. Even though we ended up with 2 euploid embryos after ICSI and genetic testing, we only transferred one embryo per their recommendation, and we're glad we followed that recommendation.
Allison Lange
2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr Thorne always made me feel heard. When I had a natural pregnancy which resulted in a chemical, he made sure to call me himself with the news (both good and bad). When my first transfer didn’t work, he took the time to call me, go over all our options and the benefits of each and let me decide with no pressure what I wanted to do next. While I didn’t see him at most of my monitoring appointments, I knew he was the one making the decisions and always took the time to talk to me if I needed/wanted.
RMA was fantastic at clinical communication. The entire medical team and front desk were all great. The only criticism I have is with the finance and billing departments. You get a finance person assigned to you, however when mine left the job, no one communicated that to me and my emails went unanswered for a month. I finally got another person, but she left too and again no one informed me. I had billing questions and issues that were difficult to get resolved...
How was your experience with Jeffrey Thorne at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you have questions, ask. I never felt like I was bothering him, and he always made sure I understood.
I came to Dr Thorne and RMA after a bad experience at another clinic. I was honest at my consultation on why I was leaning my prior clinic (poor communication, bad bedside manner and feeling like a number) At no point during my time with RMA did I ever feel that way. People remembered who I was, all my care questions were answered timely, Dr Thorne always made time when I requested it. I truly felt like they cared about my treatment and the outcome.
I was 36 with low AMH and unexplained infertility. Dr Thorne added medications to help with egg quality and lowered the doses my first clinic used. It resulted in the same amount of mature eggs, but better quality which ultimately resulted in my son.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Samantha)
She was great. She always got me in contact with Dr Thorne if I needed. She also answered a lot of questions I had for her in a timely manner. She even helped me with billing issues when I couldn’t get a hold of my finance person.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It was through my insurance, so I only had to pay my deductible.
King of Prussia

He [Dr. Castelbaum] prepared a tight schedule to quickly move through the IVF process...From the start, our doctor set realistic expectations but maintained a positive and professional outlook. We enjoyed his unwavering encouragement...You may not see him very often, he is heavily involved in the process and always looking at your visit results to then adjust your care...
Each [nurse at RMA of Philadelphia] followed my journey closely and remembered me each visit... They were attentive, professional, and friendly...Good communicators, smaller intimate practice, and made room for me in their schedule. I was not just a number of many patients... they handled everything for me and made the process easy. I could reach someone at any time of day, including an emergency on-call doctor.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
We came to RMA after three failed IUIs at Penn and they could not fit us into their schedule for 6 months to start the IVF process. Being furloughed from work in the pandemic, I was nervous to lose insurance coverage, but after the consultation RMA was able to start me within a month. The team there was always there to answer the phone, not an answering service. And my nurse was there the entire time to answer my emails within hours and then schedule my appointments for me. (At Penn, I would never get emails back, always had a different nurse, and would have to leave my phone calls to an answering service.) The office location was close by, the team always welcoming/ encouraging, and I trust the team of doctors... each explained the process and took the time to keep me completely updated.
He prepared a tight schedule to quickly move through the IVF process, which I am eternally grateful for and ready for our next transfer as soon as I can :)
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Each followed my journey closely and remembered me each visit... They were attentive, professional, and friendly
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The team clearly communicated cost between out of pocket vs from insurance... we had one issue where there was one confusion, but it was resolved. Outside that, knowing the out of pocket cost was a major reason choosing RMA over Penn (who could not tell us any costs).

2014 - 2019, Successful
I had unexplained infertility until our first consult with [Dr. Castelbaum]. As soon as he did an ultrasound he diagnosed me with Endometriosis and we made the decision to try IVF... He often talks about how enjoys his ongoing relationships with his patients, we are repeat customers over five years and despite our various journey with each transfer, Dr. C has guided us with the information we needed to make the best choice for us. He might appear too direct for some, but when you are making life decisions that are emotionally and financially taxing, you want truth, not someone pushing you in one direction or another, or providing a false sense of what might be.
All the doctors at RMA have their own way of showing compassion while also being realistic. I never felt like a number...they always were kind and efficient. Any time I called with a question, the nursing staff would be quick with a reply after they consulted with my doctor (depending on the issue)...All the doctors I have interacted with over the past five years have been knowledgeable, science driven, and compassionate. Of the two offices I used for appointments, both were mediocre with wait times for both blood work and ultrasounds because most women who want to fit in their appointment before work are all being "seen" at 7am...which is impossible.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
We've been using RMA and Dr. C since 2014 and if you are seeking fertility treatments, you are also seeking expertise, compassion, and facts. In total, we've completed one IUI, one egg retrieval procedure, and five frozen embryo transfers. We had two births, one miscarriage, one unsuccessful transfer, and are currently expecting our third. It's a rollercoaster and Dr. C has always been informative and never gives false hope. Our first transfer was successful, but after a failed transfer and a miscarriage, we regrouped with Dr. C to discuss options for the remaining embryos because it was getting expensive and emotionally taxing. Dr. C provided us with the research, facts, and risks with genetic testing the remaining embryos and ultimately left the decision up to us. After we decided to move forward with testing, Dr. C supported it and it resulted in another birth and we are currently pregnant. He often talks about how enjoys his ongoing relationships with his patients, we are repeat customers over five years and despite our various journey with each transfer, Dr. C has guided us with the information we needed to make the best choice for us. He might appear too direct for some, but when you are making life decisions that are emotionally and financially taxing, you want truth, not someone pushing you in one direction or another, or providing a false sense of what might be.
Dr. C is a mix of kindness, quirky, and direct. Don't be put off by his directness and appreciate the quirky.
I had unexplained infertility until our first consult with Dr. C. As soon as he did an ultrasound he diagnosed me with Endometriosis and we made the decision to try IVF. We proceeded with an egg stimulus process and egg retrieval. He suggested I wait one full cycle for my body to recover from the retrieval before doing our first transfer. Although I was excited to do our first transfer, I realized my body needed time to recuperate and heeded Dr. C's advice. A year after the birth of our son, we returned to RMA and the next two transfers were unsuccessful (one negative, one miscarriage) and Dr. C suggested genetic testing for the remaining embryos. We moved forward with genetic testing with resulted in two (out of the five remaining) viable embryos. The next transfer resulted in a successful pregnancy and birth. We returned to RMA this January to use our final remaining embryo. During my mock transfer, the doctor saw a fibroid in my uterus. Dr. C suggested I have it removed prior to our last embryo transfer, as he wanted to remove any risk of the transfer not working. Again, although I was excited to do our last transfer, we heeded his advice again, and are now pregnant with that embryo.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses are who see prior to the doctor and they always were kind and efficient. Any time I called with a question, the nursing staff would be quick with a reply after they consulted with my doctor (depending on the issue).
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We were full pay out of pocket.
From the beginning, Dr. C advised against multiple embryo transfer because of the risks associated.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Within five years of using RMA (between births), I had one instance where the coordinator did not call me the day before my mock transfer, which is frustrating when trying to plan for work and childcare. When I called the day of my mock transfer, they seemed a bit unorganized. When they told me to arrive at noon with a full bladder, I waited for a full hour before I asked when my procedure was scheduled and was informed it wasn't until 1. I think they could be more sensitive to our time waiting with a full bladder and trust that we could arrive 15-20 minutes before our procedure.
King of Prussia
Dr. Castelbaum cared. I was not just rushed through appointments, it was not all just about numbers on a chart. He genuinely wants to help people grow their families and have healthy, successful pregnancies. He made me feel comfortable in an otherwise uncomfortable situation... He has a way of being extremely professional yet warm and supportive...Each cycle we did an IUI assisted w/ Clomid. We started me at only 50mg, because I was diagnosed as unexplained and medically speaking, I have no reason to be infertile, nor does my husband. For the 2nd and then the 3rd IUI, we did 100mg of Clomid, with intention to reevaluate the drugs we were using if the 3rd did not work. Luckily the 3rd time was the charm for me.
I met a lot of nurses over the different offices I visited with RMA, and I found every one to be kind, attentive, great at their job, and compassionate...The weakness is a couple of the front desk employees. Most are fantastic, but there are a couple who are very rude and insensitive. My bad experiences weren't really enough to overshadow the excellent care I received from the doctors and nurses, but I will say that the compassion of everyone who works there is critical, including the front desk staff. An IUI is not a fun procedure to need, and these treatments and appts become very stressful. To have someone be impatient with you or insensitive at such a delicate time can be enough to want to give up.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I really cannot thank Dr. Castelbaum enough for his help. Each failed IUI was very difficult, but it helped to know he was just as invested in the process. I think his genuine joy when we confirmed my pregnancy made a huge difference; healthy babies and families really matter to him. I also can't express how excellent his bedside manner is. He has a way of being extremely professional yet warm and supportive. I am typically not comfortable with male doctors, and this type of care can be especially uncomfortable with a man, but he couldn't have made me feel more comfortable throughout the process.
Tell him all of your concerns and ask him all your questions. He cares, he wants to make you feel at ease and he wants you to have all the information you need.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strength of the clinic is their flexibility to be open so early in the morning, especially if you work full time. It is possible to go through this process with a full time job, even if it gets pretty tough. The weakness is a couple of the front desk employees. Most are fantastic, but there are a couple who are very rude and insensitive. My bad experiences weren't really enough to overshadow the excellent care I received from the doctors and nurses, but I will say that the compassion of everyone who works there is critical, including the front desk staff. An IUI is not a fun procedure to need, and these treatments and appts become very stressful. To have someone be impatient with you or insensitive at such a delicate time can be enough to want to give up.
I have very high coverage insurance, so I never paid more than my $15 copay for appointments. The one high cost I incurred was for the Ovidrel medication used once per cycle, as it was not covered by insurance. That was $170.
King of Prussia
I did especially appreciate though when Dr. Castlebaum personally reached out to discuss issues if they were more serious or complicated. He was very reassuring and made me feel optimistic that this will work out...ask to speak to him personally if you need clarity or have more in depth questions. He will reach out to explain.
Any new patient should know this is a difficult process that is time consuming and stressful. The [RMA of Philadelphia] clinic does help as best as they can in accommodating you. Be prepared for many tests, blood works, hysteroscopy, ultrasounds basically turning you inside out to find out what is wrong with you...The majority of the nursing staff were excellent, caring, and responsive.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt that Dr. Castelbaum was very knowledgeable and experienced. Even though I did not see him often, and really liked some of the other Doctors such as Dr. Gutman in the philadelphia office (I went there due to living closer). I trusted Dr. Castelbaum's recommendations and felt confident with him overseeing my care.
To ask to speak to him personally if you need clarity or have more in depth questions. He will reach out to explain.
Most of my interactions such as test results and questions were done through the nursing staff who were very responsive and friendly, and I was fine with that. I did especially appreciate though when Dr. Castlebaum personally reached out to discuss issues if they were more serious or complicated. He was very reassuring and made me feel optimistic that this will work out.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tina)
The majority of the nursing staff were excellent, caring, and responsive. I communicated a lot via email with Tina, and she always responded in a timely manner, and passed on information to Dr. Castelbaum that I asked her to. She was always able to get a response from him, and if needed get him in touch with me over that phone if it was a more complicated issue.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Any new patient should know this is a difficult process that is time consuming and stressful. The clinic does help as best as they can in accommodating you. Be prepared for many tests, blood works, hysteroscopy, ultrasounds basically turning you inside out to find out what is wrong with you. But for us it was worth it.
We chose the least expensive pricing for the egg retrieval and transfer options. It worked out in our favor. But It still came out to a lot of money when you add that with all the visit copays, hysteroscopies that they bill you for, medications, egg storage, and any failed transfers (1 live birth, 1 ended in miscarriage, and currently 15 weeks pregnant).

2015 - 2019, Unknown Success
Some days I felt unimportant because he [Dr. Arthur Castelbaum] never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me...He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He [Dr. Castelbaum] never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage...My only complaint is that there were a few times (twice maybe?) they forgot to call in my medication. This problem was easily rectified by calling the after hours service. The on call doctor would call my prescriptions in for me. Aside from that, the nursing team was my rock. They encouraged me, cheered me on, and always took the extra time to explain everything to me. They have been phenomenal.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very smart man. He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
Ask for more information when you need it.
It was kind of neutral. Some days I felt unimportant because he never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It’s very difficult to get in touch with the person you’re looking to talk to. You can’t call directly through to an office - you speak to someone who puts a message in to your office and then they call you back when they can. This isn’t convenient for my line of work because I can’t talk at certain times throughout the day.
The cost of an IUI cycle was approximately $1,000 and for an egg retrieval and transfer, it cost just over $10,000.
I appreciate his conservative approach because the thought of carrying multiples worries me due to the increased health risks for myself and potential babies.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Minor problems - one being they didn’t upload my FET calendar of medication so they had to recreate it. Twice (out of many, many cycles), they forgot to call in my prescriptions.
Langhorne