RMA of Philadelphia

Abington (formerly Willow Grove)
1151 Old York Rd
1015 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556

2013 - 2017, Successful
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense...If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb... she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
RMA is always open...holidays and weekends. they are very responsive, helpful, and the staff is great...during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle...Our specific problems happened only twice and only with one nurse. The rest of the clinic and staffing were perfect and went over and beyond with informing us and with with follow ups
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She's just the best! Really knows her stuff, explains it well, doesn't sugar coat, but isn't harsh. Personable without being unprofessional. I was at RMA 219 times in my time there and everytime i knew she was in the office I felt relived and happy to know i was under her care and that I got the chance to talk with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you want someone with the education and experience of a true fertility leader, she's your doc. She tells it like it is..never ambiguous, never harsh, but doesn't sugar coat either. She is so intelligent without making her patients seem dumb. Always has your best interest in mind and I'm pretty sure sheworks 23/7
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is amazing. Personal, but straight forward and no nonsense. we also discussed personal lives and she got to know us
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
23 cycles too many too list but she always explained her rationale and I always tusted her
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUIs the most expensive part was teh donor sperm. copays each visit and my shots weren't covered. they were $99 a cycle. during IVF i got into a package deal that was roughly $20,000 and meds were close to $5,000 each cycle. No insurance coverage with IVF. My Wife started IVF and her meds were mostly covered with a small copay. We received grants from Hasidah and JFCS. that helped. overall we spent about $80,000 for 3 years of infertility
Philadelphia

Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable and up to date on latest research. I trust her medical advice but her communication is not good. She does not explain things in detail. For example, she just says "looks good". Other REs that I have seen in the same practice actually explain to you the ultrasound, what they see on the screen, not just "looks good"...Each person reacts differently to the medication and there are things that should change after reflecting or taking into account what worked and didn't work last cycle. Unfortunately, I didn't feel that this was being done. It felt like a one size fits all kind of approach.
They are very organized, follow the rules and try to have a good system in place. The rooms are always clean and waiting rooms are quiet. As a new patient, if you need hand holding see Dr. Freedman, he has great empathy and explains things well. If you want someone direct, data driven, and up to date on research see Dr. Castelbaum...Most nurses are great and feel for you. Some prefer to give you their advice instead of having the doctor call you about your concerns but if you ask to speak with the doctor they will do that. As with everything, make sure to stay on top of your treatment, ask questions and be clear about your steps because they will miss things and forget to tell you things.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman is very knowledgeable and up to date on latest research. I trust her medical advice but her communication is not good. She does not explain things in detail. For example, she just says "looks good". Other REs that I have seen in the same practice actually explain to you the ultrasound, what they see on the screen, not just "looks good". It is important to know for yourself what is going on because how else will you be able to make a decision.
If you need hand holding find another doctor. If you go, you'll need to be a very strong advocate of your options.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They are very organized, follow the rules and try to have a good system in place. The rooms are always clean and waiting rooms are quiet. As a new patient, if you need hand holding see Dr. Freedman, he has great empathy and explains things well. If you want someone direct, data driven, and up to date on research see Dr. Castelbaum. Unfortunately, they work out of the other locations not center city.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Strong preference for eSET not multiple.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring...Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area....I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community...we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner...She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is clearly very knowledgeable and skilled in this area. She helped us make a plan that fit our lives and was very honest with us. I appreciated this because I just wanted to know what to expect. I was really thankful for her honesty when we hit an unexpected delay with our sperm donor. She let us know what to expect, and then gave us space to make some decisions. At times, her blunt responses were initially shocking, but it doesn't take you long to realize that she truly cares and also is quite funny!
Be prepared to be told the absolute truth. If you're somebody that needs any potentially tough information given "sugar-coated," you may be surprised by Dr. Gutmann's blunt repsonses; just remember it comes from a caring and knowledgeable place.
Dr. Gutmann remembers details about your life and is very personable. She's blunt, but very caring. While going through a procedure, I was visibly uncomfortable, and she had amazing bedside manners. She ensured I was ok, and definitely tended to me until she knew I was comfortable again.
We are still in process with Dr. Gutmann and needed to have a change of course, so I don't have current specifics.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses were all very efficient during appointments, which was appreciated when rushing to get bloodwork done in the morning before work! The nurses remember the patients and are usually very warm. When calling to talk to a nurse, they always respond quickly and have thorough answers.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
This clinic is clearly very skilled in reproductive medicine; I describe them as a "well-oiled machine." Almost all staff were warm and caring, while being very thorough. Another big strength and appeal for us was their inclusivity of the LGBT community. Some weaknesses would be that every now and then, another doctor would do the vaginal ultrasounds, and they weren't as warm as Dr. Gutmann. Also, we did have a frustrating conversation with a financial planner when we made the decision to go from IUI to IVF. She didn't know our situation and actually was almost pressuring us to go with an anonymous donor over our known donor due to cost.

2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque...Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test....RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman has a dry sense of humor and can be very brusque. I found this to be a positive about her personality - she never made the fertility treatments feel precious. Her personality demystified treatments and made the whole fertility process seem more "normal." She's honest about what to expect and what statistics around pregnancy are for each treatment type. When planning your treatment she takes multiple factors into consideration including your fertility Heath, of course, but also your finances, your reaction to drugs, and your access to sperm, for example. I've always felt very taken care of by the doctor. I have no complaints - I wish she were my primary physician, too.
Don't be turned off by her brusque-ness! She's actually a really warm and caring person.
Dr. Gutman was always clear about what to expect from the fertility treatments - she has a positive outlook without ever giving me false hope. She also had an air of authority while still making me feel comfortable to ask questions. At my last consultation I asked her what I felt was a stupid question about cervical mucus and she answered me without a hint of condescension and said, "Don't hold back your questions until a consultation. If there is something worrying you, you can call anytime." Her dry sense of humor makes me laugh every time I see her, but I never feel like she is holding something back that I need to know. Most importantly​, I always feel like she is tailoring my treatment to my specific fertility and financial needs. This has never felt like a one-size-fits-all process with Dr. Gutman.
Dr. Gutman first worked with me to identify if I could ovulate normally on fertility drugs since my PCOS kept me from ovulating normally naturally. She proscribed me Letrozole (after explaining the risks, giving me literature about the risks, and having me sign a consent form​ for the drug). I took two 5mg tablets (I think) of Letrozole on cycle days 4-9. After coming in for monitoring it was clear that I responded well to the Letrozole, so we started IUI cycles thereafter. I've been through 4 IUI cycles so far. I start with Letrozole, I'm monitored throughout the cycle, I take a trigger shot of Ovidrel when I have mature follicles and come in for insemination ~36 hours later. After 3 unsuccessful cycles I had a consultation with Dr. Gutman where we went over my body's responses to each cycle according to the monitoring. After reviewing each cycle she gave me multiple options for moving ahead which included more expensive and less expensive options - at no point did I feel pushed toward one option over another. I decided to continue with the Letrozole IUI cycles for the time being. We're still trying at the moment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The RMA nurses in Center City are warm and inviting. They are good at every part of their job - from taking blood to showing compassion when you have a negative test. I love seeing the nurses when I arrive at the clinic. I was on a first-name basis with many of them after only a few appointments. I have felt less warmth from the nurses in King of Prussia, but that is not my normal clinic, so I don't feel like I can really speak to the atmosphere there.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is a fantastic clinic. All the doctors are knowledgeable and friendly. The space is clean and warm. The connection to Jefferson Hospital makes procedures like the hysterosalpingogram easy. The one big downer to RMA is that the only clinic open on Sundays is in King of Prussia, so if you need to see a doctor on Sunday you must travel to the suburbs. It's highly inconvenient if you do not have a car.
$1200 per monitored IUI cycle

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
during the initial steps, Dr. Gutmann is very candid about the process and expectations of treatment. She will soften during the process. If you would to like to only see Dr. Gutmann, request appointments with Dr. Gutmann only when scheduling...After receiving my history from my previous doctors, Dr. Gutmann performed an ultrasound and HSG to decide which route to take, medication or injectionables. My disease had not progressed, therefore, I started with Clomid. Unfortunately, I developed Ovarian Hypersensitivity, and wasn't able to continue with the Clomid.
The nurse staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] was awesome. They called with my results with 4-6 hours. They were able to answer any questions that may have had. They even made small talk and made jokes to keep my spirits up during trying visits...They are warm and welcoming. They, also, clear if they cannot help you. Once Dr. Gutmann could help me any further with my disease, she referred me to someone else...After an MRI, Dr. Gutmann noticed my disease had began to progress very rapidly, and we decided the best course of action was surgical intervention. After the post-surgical/pre-fertility treatment MRI, my disease had progressed further, and I was referred to an oncologist. Dr. Gutman was apart of my team through my crisis.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Please visit question number one about being treated as human. My experience as a patient of hers was amazing. When she noticed my health taking a turn for the worse, she asked me to come in for weekly checkups, consulted with an oncologist, and worked with another clinical team to figure out how to help me get better.
Trying to understand that during the initial steps, Dr. Gutmann is very candid about the process and expectations of treatment. She will soften during the process. If you would to like to only see Dr. Gutmann, request appointments with Dr. Gutmann only when scheduling.
I work in the clinical field. Therefore, I expect doctors to be upfront about test results and expectations. Initially, Dr. Gutmann was upfront about expectations, especially after receiving previous my test results, and OP results. As time progressed, she soften, and became very encouraging. When she noticed my health taking a turn for the worse, she asked me to come in for weekly checkups, consulted with an oncologist, and worked with another clinical team to figure out how to help me get better.
After receiving my history from my previous doctors, Dr. Gutmann performed an ultrasound and HSG to decide which route to take, medication or injectionables. My disease had not progressed, therefore, I started with Clomid. Unfortunately, I developed Ovarian Hypersensitivity, and wasn't able to continue with the Clomid. We allowed my system to calm down for awhile. After an MRI, Dr. Gutmann noticed my disease had began to progress very rapidly, and we decided the best course of action was surgical intervention. After the post-surgical/pre-fertility treatment MRI, my disease had progressed further, and I was referred to an oncologist. Dr. Gutman was apart of my team through my crisis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Sara)
The nurse staff was awesome. They called with my results with 4-6 hours. They were able to answer any questions that may have had. They even made small talk and made jokes to keep my spirits up during trying visits.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic's strength is its desire health those who cannot procreate have a child. They are warm and welcoming. They, also, clear if they cannot help you. Once Dr. Gutmann could help me any further with my disease, she referred me to someone else.
Because Dr. Gutmann was treating both, my endometriosis, and fertility, my insurance was charged for each visit. My insurance didn't could IUI and IVF, though.
Philadelphia

The way that RMA of Philadelphia works is that, while you have one doctor overseeing your care, you are part of a practice with five locations in the area. The doctors switch locations every day...he nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia are the glue that holds the practice together. The nurses work very hard to answer your questions and address any concerns. Unfortunately, however, you are not assigned a primary nurse at this practice, so every phone call come be from a different person - often someone with no knowledge of your case and someone you have never met. This lack of continuity can be challenging
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We met wth Dr. Gutmann on a handful of occasions, although we rarely saw her for monitoring appointments or heard from her otherwise (all communication is through the nursing staff). Dr. Gutmann is an intelligent physician with exceptional training and expertise in the field. Unfortunately, she lacks a warm bedside manner. Her reaction to our miscarriages at the practices was robotic and jarring. Ultimately, we decided to switch practices because of this. As our case became more complicated, we needed someone with a more gentle touch and we wanted to have more contact with a single physician.
Dr. Guttman is a highly trained and experienced physician. She would be a good fit for couples or individuals trying to conceive who are interested in simply receiving clinical care and who do not need additional support.
The way that RMA of Philadelphia works is that, while you have one doctor overseeing your care, you are part of a practice with five locations in the area. The doctors switch locations every day. When I first I went to RMA at the beginning of 2016, there were 7 doctors. By the time we finally decided to switch practices 13 months later, 3 had left and there were only 4. Suffice it to say, 4 doctors cannot cover all 5 practice locations. As a result, you are seen by different doctors at each appointment, rarely see "your" doctor, often see a sonographer, and (in addition) you don't have an assigned nurse. I would receive updates on pregnancy monitoring and next steps by personnel I had never met at locations I had never been to. As a result, you feel like you are part of a machine instead of like a human being.
We did Clomid + IUI cylcles with Dr. Gutmann and one Clomid alone cycle. Neither the dosage was ever changed nor was the protocol. Our result was multiple miscarriages and we ultimately switched practices and doctors after searching for a second opinion.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia are the glue that holds the practice together. The nurses work very hard to answer your questions and address any concerns. Unfortunately, however, you are not assigned a primary nurse at this practice, so every phone call come be from a different person - often someone with no knowledge of your case and someone you have never met. This lack of continuity can be challenging as you relay your story and details over and over to new people. In our case, multiple clerical errors occurred, such as a blood test once being "lost." I don't blame the nurses, as I believe they are working very hard. But there is clearly a lack of cohesion at this practice that I believe would be improved by assigning patients to a single nurse or team who can keep track of details in a single place.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The strengths of RMA of Philadelphia include multiple locations across the Philadelphia area, weekend hours at their King of Prussia location, and a strong and devoted nursing staff. Weaknesses include not seeing your physician regularly, seeing sonographers for monitoring appointments, and not having an assigned nurse to oversee your care.
We incurred few costs with this practice as IUI was covered under our insurance. We did pay out pocket for medications, but these were inexpensive.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I once got a phone call from RMA of Philadelphia informing me that it was time to schedule my hysteroscopy procedure. This had not been discussed with my or my partner, although apparently this was written in my chart.
Philadelphia
Dr. Gutman was fantastic. She was very direct, which I appreciated, and she did a great job of managing my expectations. She also managed to explain complicated things clearly and in non-medical terms. I truly felt like I was in the best hands...Upon initial testing, I started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. For the first cycle, we used letrozole and waited for me to ovulate on my own which occurred very late. I also had a short luteal phase that month. In the following cycle, I used letrozole, ovidrel and progesterone to lengthen my luteal phase.
Everythign was very easy [at RMA of Phila]. I was seen on time, received lab results on time and making appts was easy. I would have preferred to have spoken to only nurses that I saw in my regular office rather than nurses from other offices which happened from time to time. I was concerned that they werent as familiar with the ins and outs of my treatment and didn't always feel as comfortable...THe nurses were phenomenal. They really got to know me and were extremely supportive.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust her. She is extremely thorough but if you have questions that are unanswered, ask!
Dr Gutmann was always realistic but hopeful. She was empathetic when we were sad and frustrated but also helped us to set realistic expectations.
Upon initial testing, I started taking synthroid for hypothyroidism. For the first cycle, we used letrozole and waited for me to ovulate on my own which occurred very late. I also had a short luteal phase that month. In the following cycle, I used letrozole, ovidrel and progesterone to lengthen my luteal phase. I became pregnant but unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage. Based on my testing, dr gutman felt that we should try that protocal a few more times and I became pregnant on the second cycle after my miscarriage.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Everythign was very easy. I was seen on time, received lab results on time and making appts was easy. I would have preferred to have spoken to only nurses that I saw in my regular office rather than nurses from other offices which happened from time to time. I was concerned that they werent as familiar with the ins and outs of my treatment and didn't always feel as comfortable.
I paid a copay of $40 for ultrasounds. I also had to pay a copay for medications. Nothing else.

2014, Successful
Dr. Gutmann has a matter-of-fact manner, which is not quite warm, but conveys her impressive intelligence and experience. She was always upfront and honest with us. She explained everything we needed to do clearly, and was always on top of our care. She was also completely willing to help us conceive in the manner we desired; we wanted to use my partner's eggs and donor sperm and I wanted to carry out the pregnancy. She was completely supportive of our wishes and was able to help us conceive as we planned...
It was good to have one point of contact [at RMA of Phila - Center City] for questions about the various injections, the drugs we needed, the timings, etc. She provided us both with calendars to track our drug regimen and did demonstrations of the various products we needed to use. We also were provided with comprehensive, well organized paperwork describing all the drugs and procedures in detail, so we knew what to expect and could reference them during treatment...
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't expect someone who is touchy-feely. Dr. Gutmann is matter-of-fact, but she will be honest with you, will always take the time needed to explain your treatment, and is excellent at what she does.
I am part of a same-sex couple, and my spouse and I wanted to use her eggs and donor sperm to conceive, and then transfer to me to carry out the pregnancy. Dr. Gutmann was open, informative, welcoming, and non-judgmental throughout this process. She understood our situation and worked with us to achieve the family we wanted.
We did IVF, using 5-day embryo's from retrieved from my wife and inseminated me via ICSI with donor sperm from a cryobank. We then implanted the fresh embryo into me and did 12 weeks of progesterone injections. We had a normal, successful pregnancy. We froze the remaining embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
It was good to have one point of contact for questions about the various injections, the drugs we needed, the timings, etc. She provided us both with calendars to track our drug regimen and did demonstrations of the various products we needed to use. We also were provided with comprehensive, well organized paperwork describing all the drugs and procedures in detail, so we knew what to expect and could reference them during treatment.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths are organization and scheduling. Fertility treatment requires a huge amount of coordination of appointments, drugs, testing, and procedures. RMA, the clinic, was very organized and on top of our treatment plan. They also had appointments at convenient times and I never waited more than 15 minutes for a scheduled appointment. A weakness, if you can call it that, is that you will not see the same doctor every time you go in. This would be impossible, given that your appointments are based on your cycle and treatment milestones, so unless your doctor worked 7 days a week, it would be impossible to see him or her every time you went in. They are organized, however, so whatever doctor you see will know what you need at a particular visit. The only (unavoidable) downside is that we loved the doctor who oversaw our treatment, and who saw us most of the time, but didn't always connect with the other doctors who we only saw occasionally.
Our costs were minimal, as both my spouse and I had insurance that covered the vast majority of our drugs and procedures. I think we spent between $2,500-$4,000 out of pocket. But this was unique to us, due to our unusually generous coverage. RMA did a great job, however, of liaising with our insurance carriers to determine and confirm coverage.
2009 - 2014, Unsuccessful
The whole staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] was really great made feel not so nervous as I started the process. [My nurse] was so nice and understanding, she took her time with me with blood work as I hate needles. She would call me back quickly with any answers I needed when I called and leave a message with some one and what I want to ask or know. Overall she a genuine nice person
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gregory Fossum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Well he moved on to surgical and high risk patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gregory Fossum at RMA of Philadelphia?
The whole staff was really great made feel not so nervous as I started the process. I wished Dr. Fossum was still my RE.
She was so nice and understanding, she took her time with me with blood work as I hate needles. She would call me back quickly with any answers I needed when I called and leave a message with some one and what I want to ask or know. Overall she a genuine nice person
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I never had a pap come back abnormal and so I had to get another to check for hpv. The second pap came back fine and while in the middle of getting an ultra sounds to check the process of my eggs and all, you know size, how many to determine when my iui will be. The second doctor asked me if I was getting treatment, while still checking me out, I sat up and was like what treatment is that, he said for hpv, which at the time I didn't know all about it, so I said that I don't have hpv the second pap came back clear. He said he read my chart and I do, we'll I started crying and ask what is it and how do you get it. I explained to him my husband is the only man I been with and I still was made to feel like they thought I had any Indiscretions So to say...i was still crying and yelling I didn't have sex with anyone and why would they insinuate that, so the flipping on my husband so the time I was done and sitting in the lab giving blood still crying. A nurse I never had to deal with was like aww honey are you worried that your husband is cheating, I looked at her and said no I am not, I worried about having hpv at this moment and that is when doc number two came to say it was his fault he read the incorrect chart and I don't have hpv. Really!
Gregory Fossum

2022, Consult
Embryo Freezing
Dr. Lange has been attentive, understanding and supportive of my concerns and the path I want to take. From the initial meeting, I have had nothing but a positive experience. For the times that I was overwhelmed, Dr. Lange took me through it as many times as I needed to fully grasp the answers, procedures, risks, and possible outcomes.
I don’t have a bad thing to say about the wonderful RMA team. Everyone I have interacted with has been phenomenal. All my questions were answered quickly, I never had to worry about not having any information. Top notch team...I chose this clinic for a few reasons and they have lived up to my fairly high expectations. While they have everything down to a science and are a swiftly moving machine, I still didn’t feel like just a number. Everyone is kind and friendly and made me feel welcomed.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Trust that Dr. Lange knows what she is doing and will work with you to understand and everything. If you are just starting out it can be scary but with Dr. Lange I felt comfortable from day one.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Lange listened to what I wanted and my concerns. She talked through her thoughts and the science so that I could understand and make a decision on my path.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: My primary nurse - Shannon Graves. My patient navigator - Alessandra Johnston)
I don’t have a bad thing to say about the wonderful RMA team. Everyone I have interacted with has been phenomenal. All my questions were answered quickly, I never had to worry about not having any information. Top notch team!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
I am incredibly lucky that my job provides fertility benefits. Costs so far have been minimal.
Allison Lange

2013 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Gutmann] was very kind and understanding about our frustrations during the fertility process. We were frustrated at our lack of success, but we stuck it out and she never gave up on us. Ultimately, we were successful and we loved having Dr. G as our physician the entire time.... Dr. G was a huge asset to our care. If we had a doctor that we liked less, we might have been tempted to change, but she was kind and realistic. She was clear and accessible. She is extremely knowledgable and is an expert in the field.
Clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] has hours everyday and on holidays. Very responsive to phone calls. Staff helps to look into insurance issues, which was very helpful. Early office hours allow for appointments before work. You have one primary doctor, but you will see multiple doctors based on who is scheduled. Ultimately, your doctors make all of the decisions. Our doctor was even making decisions and communicating decisions with us when she was on vacation abroad.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
The infertility process is hard. We went through it for many years and had to adjust course a number of times. Dr. G was a huge asset to our care. If we had a doctor that we liked less, we might have been tempted to change, but she was kind and realistic. She was clear and accessible. She is extremely knowledgable and is an expert in the field.
If she got us pregnant, she can get you pregnant.
She was very kind and understanding about our frustrations during the fertility process. We were frustrated at our lack of success, but we stuck it out and she never gave up on us. Ultimately, we were successful and we loved having Dr. G as our physician the entire time.
I do not recall
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
Excellent nurses overall. Knowledgable and friendly. Very sensitive.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clinic has hours everyday and on holidays. Very responsive to phone calls. Staff helps to look into insurance issues, which was very helpful. Early office hours allow for appointments before work. You have one primary doctor, but you will see multiple doctors based on who is scheduled. Ultimately, your doctors make all of the decisions. Our doctor was even making decisions and communicating decisions with us when she was on vacation abroad.
I do not remember. Insurance covered most IUI, IVF was out of pocket
RMA is very clear about wanting to avoid multiples. I appreciated this approach.
Philadelphia

Treated like a human. Treated with respect and compassion. Questioned answered promptly. ... Dr. Gutmann is straightforward and honest. She doesn’t sugar coat. She’s clinical and factual. She has a great balance of compassion and empathy. She’s trustworthy and knowledgeable. She advocates for the LGBTQ community. She is present in groups outside of RMA to help educate the community
Clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] is great! It’s warm. Staff is amazingly compassionate. They are understanding and positive. They know your name and face. They answer questions and concerns. They go above and beyond to make sure you have what you need. ... My trigger shot script wasn’t sent to my pharmacy in time and I had to drive to a pharmacy outside of Philly the day I needed my shot to get the shot
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is straightforward and honest. She doesn’t sugar coat. She’s clinical and factual. She has a great balance of compassion and empathy. She’s trustworthy and knowledgeable. She advocates for the LGBTQ community. She is present in groups outside of RMA to help educate the community.
If you want someone who knows what they are doing and is honest and clinical then Dr. Gutmann is for you!
Treated like a human. Treated with respect and compassion. Questioned answered promptly. Nurses are amazing. I can’t say enough good about Gutmann and RMA phila
We started with basic testing. From there we talked about possible routes of treatment. We were given multiple options from a natural cycle to the use of some meds to help time IUI perfectly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Carina, Blanca, Shannon, Jenn. )
All are amazing. Especially during this time of a pandemic
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clinic is great! It’s warm. Staff is amazingly compassionate. They are understanding and positive. They know your name and face. They answer questions and concerns. They go above and beyond to make sure you have what you need.
Philadelphia

Dr Guzman was great, very candid and to the point, I just felt like a number and our situation was not paid any attention. I had to call to check on the status of our charts, whether plans with our other doctors were communicated and the status of results and file updates.... We were on the treatment path for male factor and then changed doctors... Lack of communication with our urologist and they forgot to reach out to us with our plan and status and I was no longer considered a patient and needed to go through the orientation process twice.
The office [RMA of Philadelphia] was always packed, and I frequently waited more than an hour. I felt like we had to describe our situation in detail every time, which was painful.... The nurses were very kind, but they did seem to be managing a lot... Lack of communication with our urologist and they forgot to reach out to us with our plan and status and I was no longer considered a patient and needed to go through the orientation process twice.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Ask questions, do your research, come win questions and be prepared to be the facilitator with any other doctors esp urologists
The office was always packed, and I frequently waited more than an hour. I felt like we had to describe our situation in detail every time, which was painful.
We were on the treatment path for male factor and then changed doctors
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses were very kind, but they did seem to be managing a lot
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Be prepared to wait for your appointment at the clinic. Come prepared with questions and know your insurance protocols beforehand. Never feel like your question may be too minor, bc they deal with this every day!
Pretty standard
Not applicable
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Schlaff] was thorough and very experienced. He was patient and considerate. He had a great bedside manner. He never made me feel bad about my infertility and always stayed positive and hopeful. He communicated regularly and always told my husband and I to reach out if we needed anything.... He always stressed the positives and placed no blame on me or my husband. He was thorough and explained everything in a way that was easy to understand.
Great communication. Everyone [RMA of Philadelphia] worked together as a team and treated my husband and I with the highest regard. They supported us and showed empathy. They were sensitive to our needs and situation. They were always positive and full of energy, especially in early mornings!...They were all very freindly. I could trust them. They began to feel like family.... He [Dr. Schlaff] had a great bedside manner.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
He was thorough and very experienced. He was patient and considerate. He had a great bedside manner. He never made me feel bad about my infertility and always stayed positive and hopeful. He communicated regularly and always told my husband and I to reach out if we needed anything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Just to be patient and to listen to him. He will lead you in the right direction.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols William Schlaff used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We did iui's. My previous doctor preformed other procedures to diagnose a problem if there was one.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Great communication. Everyone worked together as a team and treated my husband and I with the highest regard. They supported us and showed empathy. They were sensitive to our needs and situation. They were always positive and full of energy, especially in early mornings!
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance didn't cover the iui's or any in vitro fertilization.
Describe William Schlaff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
He believed in only one transfer if we did in vitro.
William Schlaff
Philadelphia
We chose IUI first and did 6 rounds of clomid with IUI [at RMA of Philadelphia]...[The nurses are] Very nice and good at their jobs...Very on top of patient relationship and quick. Get you and in and out. Flexible on appt times or lateness. Good on explaining things and keeping you updated on what is going on. I didn’t mind getting my blood drawn because they were good...He [Dr. Schlaff] is very kind and supportive. Definitely on the side of his patients but also factual and realistic. So as much as he wanted it for us, he could not control the outcome...I want a doctor to dig deeper and I feel like he did not. He was helpful in getting us a reason for pregnancy not to be occurring and I feel he took the perfect first steps but as it didn’t work I think we should have been more aggressive in next steps. He was super compassionate as I was scared about all the firsts and he did a good job at explaining everything.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be your own best advocate.
He is very kind and supportive. Definitely on the side of his patients but also factual and realistic. So as much as he wanted it for us, he could not control the outcome.
We chose IUI first and did 6 rounds of clomid with IUI. One of the rounds we did not do IUI. I forget why.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Very nice and good at their jobs.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Not sure. Used insurance.
William Schlaff
Philadelphia
She [Dr. Gutmann] spent almost an hour going over our previous treatments. She answered our questions throughly and never once rushed us through any of our appointments...So far it has been an excellent experience. She has been very thoughtful and has been ordering tests for issues that were not previously followed up on by my prior doctor. She has been excellent with communicating with me and her office always follows up within 24 hours
the nurses [at RMA of Philadelphia] have been great at following up so far. The staff has been organized and they have done an excellent job in scheduling. The one thing that has so far not been a problem but I am aware of is that often times I get duplicate calls from the nursing staff regarding the same test results etc...She [Dr. Gutmann] spent almost an hour going over our previous treatments. She answered our questions throughly and never once rushed us through any of our appointments
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She spent almost an hour going over our previous treatments. She answered our questions throughly and never once rushed us through any of our appointments
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I have not been with this clinic long but the nurses have been great at following up so far. The staff has been organized and they have done an excellent job in scheduling. The one thing that has so far not been a problem but I am aware of is that often times I get duplicate calls from the nursing staff regarding the same test results etc
Philadelphia
Dr. Guttman is very smart and very thorough but she is not very warm or empathetic and seems to lack an appreciation for how emotionally challenging this process can be.... As I said, I am confident in her skills as a doctor, but her lack of empathy is very problematic. She also doesn't seem to understand how expensive treatment is, and how stressful that can be. She has clearly done this a lot knows her stuff. She responds to emails in 1-2 days.
[the nurses at RMA of Philadelphia are] Lovely, supportive, attentive and empathetic. They also are excellent at returning phone calls.... I am doing monitored cycles so I have ultrasounds every few days, take clomid and then do trigger shots. After this is do iui procedure. This is done to maximize the potential of getting pregnant with the iui.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
If you need someone warm and empathetic she is not the right person.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Very efficiently run. Front desk staff is great.
Costs are very high. I believe they are on par with other clinics but my insurance coverage is bad.
2014 - 2016, Successful
Dr. Gutmann is stats driven; she sticks to what has shown to be probable to work and explains things on what is probable to be happening. In the end, it was effective and worked. I definitely felt empathy and appreciated her style.... Always have a list of questions prepared and bombard Dr. Gutmann with them whenever given the opportunity to see her. The way the practice is run, oftentimes patients see other doctors or only nurses, and they are not as well informed.
Whenever we had the opportunity to speak with Dr. Gutmann [at RMA of Philadelphia], she always took the time to answer our questions and encouraged us to ask even the questions that felt most absurd. I appreciated the time she took to help us feel informed. However, common practice was for a nurse to be the one calling us with important test results or treatment instructions, and oftentimes they were not able to answer basic questions or, sometimes, we were given incorrect information.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Whenever we had the opportunity to speak with Dr. Gutmann, she always took the time to answer our questions and encouraged us to ask even the questions that felt most absurd. I appreciated the time she took to help us feel informed. However, common practice was for a nurse to be the one calling us with important test results or treatment instructions, and oftentimes they were not able to answer basic questions or, sometimes, we were given incorrect information.

2015, Unknown Success
[The staff] are just very good and are very supportive. They call when they are supposed to and email you if you don't pick up.
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Kallen does allow you to email and he will often return messages directly by phone if it is something pressing or important. He is very much a scientist and thinks about things in terms of percentages. Sometimes I think he knows what we should do next, but almost involves us too much in the decisions, but I am not sure if that is because both my fiancé and I are also doctors!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be very very direct with your questions and most important ask at every step how you are expected to feel. Also, ask what is the "usual" experience for a woman with a similar health profile. I was surprised by how I felt after egg retrieval and also how many embryos actually are mature, fertilize, and then grow! There is a drop off at every step and no one explained that to us! We will know better now if we have to do more rounds!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
They are just very good and are very supportive. They call when they are supposed to and email you if you don't pick up.
Caleb Kallen
Philadelphia
I was an IUI patient [with Dr. Gutmann]. We froze my husband’s sperm for convenience, however when round 1 didn’t work...Dr. Gutmann recommended we use a fresh sample and we were pregnant that round!Do you need to know that someone will ALWAYS be there to answer any question you have, no matter how major or minor? If you answered yes, then please, schedule your appointment today. My husband, my newborn son and I wish you and your partner the same experience we had.
flexibility when it comes to making appointments [at RMA of Philadelphia] to work around your families busy schedule...updates and phone calls the same day as your office visits...I was an IUI patient. We froze my husband’s sperm for convenience, however when round 1 didn’t work (I truly think it was me not being relaxed, I was going through a stressful time at work), Dr. Gutmann recommended we use a fresh sample and we were pregnant that round!
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
I wish all I had to say was, schedule your appointment. But because of the struggle you and your partner have recently been faced with, I know how serious of a decision this is for you. While choosing a practice to help you start a family, ask yourself the following questions. Is it important that you be treated as a real person and receive personal care? Do you need flexibility when it comes to making appointments to work around your families busy schedule? Do you want updates and phone calls the same day as your office visits? Do you need to know that someone will ALWAYS be there to answer any question you have, no matter how major or minor? If you answered yes, then please, schedule your appointment today. My husband, my newborn son and I wish you and your partner the same experience we had.
Take a breath, you’re in good, no great hands.
I could go on and on. Once you meet her, you’ll understand. I was SO nervous at our first appointment in April of 2019, but the second I sat in her office and she never lost eye contact with me and was clear and calm, I was hooked. The connection was REAL.
I know I was an IUI patient. We froze my husband’s sperm for convenience, however when round 1 didn’t work (I truly think it was me not being relaxed, I was going through a stressful time at work), Dr. Gutmann recommended we use a fresh sample and we were pregnant that round!
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
It’s as simple as this, I cried at my last appointment.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
You won’t regret this beautiful, personal experience. I’ve got to be honest, my husband sought out the practice, I wanted nothing to do with it. As time went on and I started sharing with friends and colleagues that we hadn’t become pregnant yet, four different (unrelated) people/couples recommended RMA! Now if that doesn’t say something, what does?!
My insurance covered everything! I had a copay until I became pregnant!
Philadelphia

She [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] is no nonsense with a huge heart. I went in for My 6 failed round of clomid and one failed IUI and she looked at me and asked what I wanted to do. I started to cry and said I needed a break and she gave me a hug and told me that was a good idea. She cares about her patients and she doesn’t waste your time...She comes off as a no-nonsense, hands off kind of person, but she genuinely cares and treats each of of her patients and staff so well. She never makes you wait. I even left my headphones in her office and she brought them to My IUI which was at KOP.
They [nurses at RMA of Philadelphia] are all amazing, they remember you each time and are quick to respond on the Portal so you don’t have to Call each time you have a question...You have to go a lot and if you drive, there’s a parking garage that can be validated. They may be moving soon so keep an eye out. The current office is hard to find in the building so ask for specific directions...6 rounds of clomid, 3 times with a trigger shot, 4, 3 Times with progesterone, one IUI. No pregnancy.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
She is no nonsense with a huge heart. I went in for My 6 failed round of clomid and one failed IUI and she looked at me and asked what I wanted to do. I started to cry and said I needed a break and she gave me a hug and told me that was a good idea. She cares about her patients and she doesn’t waste your time.
Dr. guttman explained everything so i would understand without making it seem “dumbed down”. She listened to my concerns and did whatever i wanted to try.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
They are all amazing, they remember you each time and are quick to respond on the Portal so you don’t have to Call each time you have a question
$40 copay, $350 IUI, monitoring was covered by insuranCe
Didn’t Do IVF YET

2021, Successful
Dr. Gutmann was very straight and to the point, but my husband and I really appreciated that. She was always very kind, and made me feel comfortable during the ultrasounds. Even though I know she sees many, many patients, she never rushed or declined answering any questions my husband or I may of had...Dr. Gutmann fully listened to me and my husband and immediately addressed our concerns. She ordered some tests and we found out that I have a Unicornuate Uterus.
The RMA clinic and staff is very friendly , the staff knows you on a first name basis. The waiting room and exam rooms are very clean, organized and “comfortable” given the circumstances. All the staff members are very helpful and will gladly answer any questions you may have...Clomid typically cost $60 and Ovidrel was $170...Seeing a fertility specialist is incredibly scary and intimidating in itself but Dr. Gutmann quickly made me feel very comfortable.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Seeing a fertility specialist is incredibly scary and intimidating in itself but Dr. Gutmann quickly made me feel very comfortable. My husband and I were trying to conceive for years and with no explanation, we kept getting negative pregnancy tests. Dr. Gutmann fully listened to me and my husband and immediately addressed our concerns. She ordered some tests and we found out that I have a Unicornuate Uterus. Dr. Gutmann explained her treatment plan and explained the pros and cons. Thanks to Dr. Gutmann, my husband and I will be welcoming two babies in March 2022!
Trust Dr. Gutmann, she is brilliant and truly cares about you. She will do whatever she can to help you achieve your goal.
For the 1st and 2nd cycle, we followed the same treatment plan. Once I started my menstrual cycle, I came in for baseline ultrasound and lab work. Dr. Gutmann started me on 5 days of Clomid(1st cycle 50 mg and 2nd cycle 100 mg), I would then come in for follicle scans and if the follicle(s) reached 20 mm, I would “trigger” which was one shot, called Ovidrel. And then 36 hours later we would do the IUI.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My husband and I only had to pay a $30 copay for each visit, including both IUIs. Clomid typically cost $60 and Ovidrel was $170.
Philadelphia

Dr. Lange, was absolutely phenomenal! I received excellent personal treatment and felt incredibly safe and cared for...Be prepared to get to know several doctors, other than just your primary RE...[she] prescribed thyroid medication, which she periodically adjusted based on my bloodwork. I then had 4 IUI cycles with the plan to move on to IVF after the 4th cycle
[our RMA of Philadelphia] was amazing - she responded to all my questions, spent time explaining different procedures and dug deep into test results to give me a clear understanding...Be prepared to get to know several doctors, other than just your primary RE. This is perfectly normal, because the staff works in a few different locations, but patients have to be seen depending on where they are in their cycle.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Lange, was absolutely phenomenal! I received excellent personal treatment and felt incredibly safe and cared for. After a successful IUI, while I was incredibly excited to get a positive pregnancy test, I was so nervous to be discharged from this practice. If I ever decide to embark on this journey again, I would 100% return to RMA and would recommend anyone else to check them out.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
After my HSG, a polyp was discovered, which was later surgically removed. Then we attempted a few natural cycles with Clomid, one of which resulted in a pregnancy and then another miscarriage. After my miscarriage, Dr. Lange ordered a recurring pregnancy lab panel, which confirmed an underactive thyroid. Dr. Lange prescribed thyroid medication, which she periodically adjusted based on my bloodwork. I then had 4 IUI cycles with the plan to move on to IVF after the 4th cycle. I had an IVF consultation, where the process and all the medication were explained to me, along with a financial consult. The 4th IUI ended up in a successful pregnancy, and I was discharged from RMA after the 9th week of pregnancy. I am now 19 weeks pregnant and progressing!
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Shannon)
Shannon was amazing - she responded to all my questions, spent time explaining different procedures and dug deep into test results to give me a clear understanding.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Dr. Lange, Shannon, Dr. Guttman and all the doctors and nurses at RMA are absolutely phenomenal! I received excellent personal treatment and felt incredibly safe and cared for. After a successful IUI, while I was incredibly excited to get a positive pregnancy test, I was so nervous to be discharged from this practice. If I ever decide to embark on this journey again, I would 100% return to RMA and would recommend anyone else to check them out.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
When COVID hit, the clinics began to provide very limited services, but I feel like they did not communicate these changes clearly and specifically.
Allison Lange
Philadelphia

I didn’t always see Dr Freedman in person because the Center City office was more convenient for me (he worked out of the suburban offices). Occasionally it seemed like I had to be in charge of knowing what cycle I was on and what the plan was next. However, after several cycles without result I made a consult appointment, and he did take the time to sit down with my husband and I for half an hour to discuss our treatment plan, after which I felt much better. He was also very responsive via phone when on call...is very experienced and respectful of individualized treatment goals/plan but has many patients to manage so you must be your own advocate.
[The nursing staff at RMA of Philiadelphia is] Kind, responsive and rooting for the patients to have success!...when some meds weren’t covered the clinic gave me samples which helped a lot...Felt like a person here, not just a number. Primarily went to Center City office. Annoying that on the weekend you have to go out to KOP to have stuff done. Liked all doctors, nurses and office staff...The office staff were always kind and remembered you personally (especially RMA Center City office where I went most often). Even though I saw multiple doctors through RMA, they were all kind and took the time to talk with you.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Make sure you are knowledgeable and on top of your treatment plan and goals so you don’t waste any cycles. Dr Freedman is very experienced and respectful of individualized treatment goals/plan but has many patients to manage so you must be your own advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Unexplained infertility, possible diminished ovarian reserve/male factor. Had done 1 IUI and taken clomid x1 at another fertility clinic. Did not want to do IVF for personal reasons. Had 4 IUI w/ letrozole, one IUI w/ injectable and letrozole and took progesterone after- resulted in our daughter.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Kind, responsive and rooting for the patients to have success!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Preferred RMA to another large academic fertility clinic in Philly that I went to first. Felt like a person here, not just a number. Primarily went to Center City office. Annoying that on the weekend you have to go out to KOP to have stuff done. Liked all doctors, nurses and office staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
Mostly Covered by insurance- when some meds weren’t covered the clinic gave me samples which helped a lot
Martin Freedman