1151 Old York Rd
1015 Chestnut St
Philadelphia, PA 19107
215.922.1556

Treated 2019 - 2020
I could never get in contact with him [Dr. Castelbaum] when it came to important results from diagnostic test nor with figuring out my medication dosages and whether my upcoming cycle would be monitored/un-monitored...He never wanted to increase my dosage nor did he want to do a monitored cycle out of the four cycles that I did with him. At my last visit he decided to put me on a different medication and suggested that I not do IUI and go straight to IVF but that I would need to find a new job that covers IVF. As I was leaving he loudly said now go make us look good and get pregnant. WHO SAYS THAT?!
The nursing staff was the only good part of this experience with RMA...I was originally told that my case was minor and that I would/should get pregnant within three months with only taking the medication that was prescribed to me...The nurses are the only strength for this facility. The nurses showed that they cared about you unlike the doctor. There was a lack of communication within the call center...Nothing but un-monitored cycles. Does not want to change any dosage for medication and does not respect your wishes when you want to have a monitored cycle.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
He put on a great show for my initial consult but after that was a train wreck. I had nothing but un-monitored cycles. I had an adverse reaction to a fertility medication that I was prescribed and was told to go see my ob/gyn..theres nothing that they can do for me. He never wanted to increase my dosage nor did he want to do a monitored cycle out of the four cycles that I did with him. At my last visit he decided to put me on a different medication and suggested that I not do IUI and go straight to IVF but that I would need to find a new job that covers IVF. As I was leaving he loudly said now go make us look good and get pregnant. WHO SAYS THAT?!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Don't waste your time and do not fall for the caring doctor that he acts like he is during your consultation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I could never get in contact with him when it came to important results from diagnostic test nor with figuring out my medication dosages and whether my upcoming cycle would be monitored/un-monitored.
Describe the protocols Arthur Castelbaum used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff was the only good part of this experience with RMA
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses are the only strength for this facility. The nurses showed that they cared about you unlike the doctor. There was a lack of communication within the call center and the doctor was just lazy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia.
The insurance co-pays, the outside facility co-pays for blood work and imaging and the costs of the medications
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I was originally told that my case was minor and that I would/should get pregnant within three months with only taking the medication that was prescribed to me. That was a lie. I had tests done at a location closer to me and I never got a call from the practice regarding to my results. There were also missing appointments that I was scheduled for.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Guttman[n] has been a perfect balance of no-nonsense and compassion. She doesn't sugar coat and gets right to the point (which I greatly appreciate), but when I had my miscarriage she was gentle, compassionate, and sympathetic. She has always answered and addressed my questions (even the crazier ones), and I feel very comfortable and confident continuing treatment with her.
I can't say enough good things about RMA. Because of my work schedule I am in different parts of the metro area every day, and have been able to schedule treatments and appointments different offices (Philly, Willow Grove, and KOP) to fit my needs. Despite my jumping around, every doctor and nurse I've seen has had full knowledge of my file and treatment plan, and my primary Dr. has always followed up with me directly.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Guttman has been a perfect balance of no-nonsense and compassion. She doesn't sugar coat and gets right to the point (which I greatly appreciate), but when I had my miscarriage she was gentle, compassionate, and sympathetic. She has always answered and addressed my questions (even the crazier ones), and I feel very comfortable and confident continuing treatment with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
See her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
While I've seen other doctors for monitoring and gotten test results from nurses, Dr. Guttman herself has always checked in with me regularly to explain next steps and answer any questions. Even though I dont get to see her in person often due to my schedule, I've never felt like she didn't know who I was or what was going on.
Describe the protocols Jacqueline Gutmann used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
When I first went in, Dr. Guttman immediately suggested a medicated cycle with IUI. I wasn't mentally prepared to start treatment right away, so she suggested trying Ovasitol and prescribed a thyroid medication. Over the next few months, RMA checked in on me periodically and Dr. Guttman continued to monitor my thyroid levels and adjust my medication accordingly. Once my husband and I were ready to begin treatment, his sperm was tested and I went in for baseline monitoring and an HSG. I was prescribed Clomid, and once my follicles were the appropriate size, Ovidrel. I had an IUI 36 hours later. I got pregnant on the first try, but unfortunately miscarried at 7 weeks and subsequently had a D&C. I am currently waiting for my HCG levels to return to 0. Once my period returns (and assuming "elective procedures" are possible given COVID-19), I'll be undergoing a hysteroscopy to help determine our next steps.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff has been fantastic. If I had questions or concerns that they were not able to address immediately, I always got a follow up from them within a few hours.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance has covered most of my treatment so far, with the obvious exception of copays. The billing department gave me a vey clear break-down: if my pants come off, it's considered a specialist visit and I have a copay. If I'm just coming in for bloodwork, I don't have a copay. I've only had to pay for one medication out-of-pocket (Ovidrel), but the clinic referred me to a specialty pharmacy where I was able to get it for a low price.
Describe Jacqueline Gutmann's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Prepare questions. She [Dr. Gutmann] will answer them, but as others have said, your time is limited. She will always answer questions though. I read these docs often do over 50 monitoring appointments from 7-9, for context. So she wouldn’t go into a monologue about my treatment plan, but always more than happy to explain my treatment plan...struck the perfect balance of warm yet clearly well researched. She always started with a check in and often a joke, then dove into the science of what she was seeing... balance of bedside manner and intellectual prowess were so good that, as dreaded as the process could be (and it was since I had a miscarriage at first), We still always looked forward to seeing her.
[RMA of Philadelphia is an] Awesome practice. I worked with many different docs here. Sort of like the 3 little bears, some of these docs were too optimistic, some too dry, but Dr. Gutman was the perfect balance for me...There are a ton of nurses. I probably worked with at least 5 different nurses, all extremely warm and thorough. I was always surprised how patient and detailed they were with all my questions because I was admittedly high strung/anxious and had soooo many questions...I have great insurance so costs we’re $40 copays, trigger shot was $100, other meds $60....total costs under $1,000.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman’s balance of bedside manner and intellectual prowess were so good that, as dreaded as the process could be (and it was since I had a miscarriage at first), We still always looked forward to seeing her.
Prepare questions. She will answer them, but as others have said, your time is limited. She will always answer questions though. I read these docs often do over 50 monitoring appointments from 7-9, for context. So she wouldn’t go into a monologue about my treatment plan, but always more than happy to explain my treatment plan.
Dr. G struck the perfect balance of warm yet clearly well researched. She always started with a check in and often a joke, then dove into the science of what she was seeing.
First 9 weeks was just monitoring because, against all odds, my first appt revealed my first natural pregnancy. We lost this baby and Dr. G was great, and suggested a slightly more aggressive approach of letrizol, progesterone, trigger shot, and IUI which we did. I ended up bleeding and having low hcg levels, which made me very anxious and I asked to terminate the pregnancy rather than finish what I thought was a miscarriage. From there, doc monitored me for 9 weeks, even answering my questions by phone immediately before the holidays. At week 9 Dr. G graduated me because against the odds, this pregnancy looks viable. Nurse still did follow up after final appt. it was a great process- wish I could stay w dr. G a couple more weeks because of my anxiety, but I understand that a reproductive specialist has to draw a clear line of time to move on to OB.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Awesome practice. I worked with many different docs here. Sort of like the 3 little bears, some of these docs were too optimistic, some too dry, but Dr. Gutman was the perfect balance for me. She never offered false hope or vague statements the other doctors sometimes made, like “it is what it is” or “we don’t know yet so we’re just going to assume it will all work out.” Instead, she’d joke with us, empathize with our losses, but report only in terms of science, e.g. baby is x% of growth margin or whatever. This was perfect for us...we wanted the facts, and her warmth made the delivery of these more tolerable.
Treated 2019 - 2020
I saw Dr. Gutmann 4-5 times initially, during the various exploratory & diagnostic phases (consultation, a monitored clomid cycle, HSG, blood and semen tests, etc.) that led to unexplained fertility diagnosis. While not stereotypically warm and fuzzy, she has a great style that really clicked for us: remembering personal details and preferences/goals, informed by the latest science, with a bit of dry humor thrown in there...First semen analysis showed slightly low sperm count and motility. She recommended supplements.
Every single nurse (of the 4-5 I saw regularly) was amazing [at RMA of Philadelphia] with one exception. She was very nice, but seemed to want to reassure me rather than educate me...said they would bill us for anything not covered, up to the cost of their out-of-pocket plan ($14k excluding medication). Overall I felt like I was in great, responsive, competent hands...Started at 400iu Follistim, but as my estrogen levels climbed sky high they switched me to daily monitoring & bloodwork, and tweaked dosage every day.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann's style is not stereotypically warm and fuzzy, but it really clicked for me. She was willing to explain anything and make a recommendation but left the decisions up to us, with no pressure. She has a great dry humor, remembered some details about my personal life, and mainly showed she cared through a detailed treatment plan, and being super responsive with constant monitoring/adjustments in the lead-up to retrieval. Monitoring visits & even transfer day were provided by a rotating team of doctors and NPs. I saw at least 5 in a single, well-monitored IVF cycle. Initially I was disappointed that Dr. Gutmann didn't personally, but I ended up feeling more knowledgeable thru the mix of different styles. Some talked millimeters and probability, others were great at giving a sneak peek at next few steps, everyone was 100% dialed on my records. Emails were returned very quickly, sometimes within the hour.
1. First semen analysis showed slightly low sperm count and motility. She recommended supplements. My husband also decided to cut from ~3-6 beers a week to 1. Three mos later Dr. Gutmann said test results had rebounded so well that she thought one of the tests was inaccurate, and the answer was most likely somewhere in between. 2. We weren't ready to fully dive into IVF yet so our first step was a Clomid + timed intercourse cycle. 1 ultrasound monitoring appt showed 5 eggs. Negative test. 3. Dr. Gutmann informed us of a research opportunity that would pay for the entire IVF cycle except medication. This sort of kick-started our commitment, but I got busy for 2 months and put off the diagnostic tests. Study was closed to my age bracket by then but we decided to go ahead anyway. 4. IVF cycle with injectables. Started at 400iu Follistim, but as my estrogen levels climbed sky high they switched me to daily monitoring & bloodwork, and tweaked dosage every day. Inconvenient, but great care. On trigger day I screwed up a medication pickup and did not have the prescribed trigger med at home. The doctor on call was great about prescribing an alternative w that I could do within the hour. He explained this alternative would put me at higher risk for OHSS, but they would monitor me closely.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
Every single nurse (of the 4-5 I saw regularly) was amazing with one exception. She was very nice, but seemed to want to reassure me rather than educate me, and in 1 case had a small miscommunication about where to phone in an updated prescription. She was fine, just a 4/5 instead of 5.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Fairly big team, so it should have felt impersonal but didn't. Supervising doc is always on top of the plan, and everyone made a personal connection. Monitoring appointments in Center City were very convenient. Usually waited 5 minutes, with 1-2 exceptions. 8am seems to be busiest, so before or after is faster. Weekends in the Valley Forge local were an annoying haul, but worth it in the end. Financially the jury's still out. My insurance had limited coverage for IVF, so they submitted various components of my testing and care separately. Some have been reimbursed and is still pending. RMA said they would bill us for anything not covered, up to the cost of their out-of-pocket plan ($14k excluding medication). Overall I felt like I was in great, responsive, competent hands.
Yes, doctor had strong preference to transfer 1 for goal of healthy singleton pregnancy.
Treated 2020
I naively thought I’d get pregnant immediately with IUI. By addressing my concerns, questions, and even frustrations with Dr. Freedman as my doctor, I felt heard, valued, and cared for by him. He is a doctor who really cares about his patients and wants to make their dreams come true...always reached out by phone and when I emailed him, he’d respond right away or even just pick up the phone. I didn’t always see Dr. Freedman because I lived closer to another office, but we were always in communication. He always knew when I was coming in and did really kind things like call to see how I was doing or call to wish me good luck. When the results of a positive pregnancy test came into the office, he called me immediately. Ther
Denise [nurse at RMA of Philadelphia] always called when she said she would, gave me detailed information and directions about what was happening, explained treatments and medications to me very carefully, and always did so with a smile, great warmth, and compassion...The front office staff was always very kind and helpful to me. I can’t say anything bad about anyone that I saw at Willow Grove (now Abington), Langhorne, or King of Prussia. After a while the staff knows your name, asks you questions, and become very friendly. They often know what you need or what you will ask before you do sometimes and if they cannot answer your questions, they are sure to find someone such as the nurse or doctor who can.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
I was feeling pretty hopeless after 4 IUIs (negative pregnancy test each time), one failed IVF cycle with a chromosomally abnormal embryo but I had an opportunity to try a second IVF cycle, which resulted in a positive pregnancy test. Despite numerous disappointments and other setbacks, Dr. Freedman always reached out by phone and when I emailed him, he’d respond right away or even just pick up the phone. I didn’t always see Dr. Freedman because I lived closer to another office, but we were always in communication. He always knew when I was coming in and did really kind things like call to see how I was doing or call to wish me good luck. When the results of a positive pregnancy test came into the office, he called me immediately. There are many more examples of Dr. Freedman’s care, but I always felt well taken care of by him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
The most important advice I can give is to be patient. Your journey to conceive will rarely be how you anticipate. After setbacks, the Coronavirus pandemic, which impacted cycles, and other things I could not control, nor could RMA, I learned that the IUI/IVF process is not what you might expect it to be. I naively thought I’d get pregnant immediately with IUI. By addressing my concerns, questions, and even frustrations with Dr. Freedman as my doctor, I felt heard, valued, and cared for by him. He is a doctor who really cares about his patients and wants to make their dreams come true.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman was very kind and compassionate, especially when delivering any kind of news, changing treatments, modifying cycles. He was patient and listened carefully to my needs and concerns.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Denise)
Denise was a fantastic nurse who was everything a patient could hope for when going through a process like this — repeatedly. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic I switched offices from the Willow Grove office to Langhorne since it was closer to my house. I would see Denise and Dr. Castelbaum there but they would both communicate with Dr. Freedman and relay messages back and forth. Aside from that, Denise always called when she said she would, gave me detailed information and directions about what was happening, explained treatments and medications to me very carefully, and always did so with a smile, great warmth, and compassion.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Treated like a human. Treated with respect and compassion. Questioned answered promptly. ... Dr. Gutmann is straightforward and honest. She doesn’t sugar coat. She’s clinical and factual. She has a great balance of compassion and empathy. She’s trustworthy and knowledgeable. She advocates for the LGBTQ community. She is present in groups outside of RMA to help educate the community
Clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] is great! It’s warm. Staff is amazingly compassionate. They are understanding and positive. They know your name and face. They answer questions and concerns. They go above and beyond to make sure you have what you need. ... My trigger shot script wasn’t sent to my pharmacy in time and I had to drive to a pharmacy outside of Philly the day I needed my shot to get the shot
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutmann is straightforward and honest. She doesn’t sugar coat. She’s clinical and factual. She has a great balance of compassion and empathy. She’s trustworthy and knowledgeable. She advocates for the LGBTQ community. She is present in groups outside of RMA to help educate the community.
If you want someone who knows what they are doing and is honest and clinical then Dr. Gutmann is for you!
Treated like a human. Treated with respect and compassion. Questioned answered promptly. Nurses are amazing. I can’t say enough good about Gutmann and RMA phila
We started with basic testing. From there we talked about possible routes of treatment. We were given multiple options from a natural cycle to the use of some meds to help time IUI perfectly.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Carina, Blanca, Shannon, Jenn. )
All are amazing. Especially during this time of a pandemic
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Clinic is great! It’s warm. Staff is amazingly compassionate. They are understanding and positive. They know your name and face. They answer questions and concerns. They go above and beyond to make sure you have what you need.
Treated 2019 - 2020
Dr. Casselbaum took the time to answer all of my questions. He remembered where I worked and he remembered our previous loss. I did not feel like I was refreshing his memory at every appointment...He answered all of my questions and dealt with my anxiety of being nervous over everything. When he had to tell us that there was not a heartbeat, he was sensitive and used his experience to basically tell us that it would not work out, which I appreciated. In terms of anxiety, I felt like he gave a lot of information - sometimes I do not need to know everything! However, that is just me and others may feel differently. The only time I got frustrated was waiting for my period to come after the loss. After a month and a half, I called the office to advocate for myself and they adjusted the treatment right away. I was also monitored very closely after the loss, which I appreciated. I am currently pregnant now and was able to stay with Dr. Casselbaum for 9 weeks. He continued to let me come for the ultrasound even though he was confident I could go back to my gyn at 7 weeks. He knew I needed that weekly reassurance for as long as possible.
The nurses [at RMA of Philadelphia] were amazing. Very friendly, informative, and reassuring...I spoke with an insurance counselor provided by RMA to inform me of what is covered by insurance and what would be additional costs. Everything before IUI was covered by my insurance. After that, the counselor provided me with the cost of each procedure so that I was aware before making a treatment plan...They always returned my messages that were left if they were unable to find a nurse at that time to answer my question. I also always got my blood results same day, which alleviates a lot of stress from waiting.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Casselbaum was very personable during our consult and at each ultrasound appointment that we had. He explained the steps and how the process would work. He answered all of my questions and dealt with my anxiety of being nervous over everything. When he had to tell us that there was not a heartbeat, he was sensitive and used his experience to basically tell us that it would not work out, which I appreciated. In terms of anxiety, I felt like he gave a lot of information - sometimes I do not need to know everything! However, that is just me and others may feel differently. The only time I got frustrated was waiting for my period to come after the loss. After a month and a half, I called the office to advocate for myself and they adjusted the treatment right away. I was also monitored very closely after the loss, which I appreciated. I am currently pregnant now and was able to stay with Dr. Casselbaum for 9 weeks. He continued to let me come for the ultrasound even though he was confident I could go back to my gyn at 7 weeks. He knew I needed that weekly reassurance for as long as possible.
I would say to advocate for yourself if you feel like you are waiting and do not know the next steps. That only happened to me once.
After the consult, Dr. Casselbaum ordered a variety of tests that needed to be done to ensure that the problem was nothing internal. Genetic testing was also ordered. Once of the results were in (which did not take long - maybe 2 weeks) we met with him again and he gave us our game plan. He prescribed Femara to help me ovulate. He specifically told me the days to take it and the days that we should have intercourse. It did not work the first time. It worked the second time, but it ended in a miscarriage at 7 weeks. I did not work the third time. It worked the fourth time and I am currently 9 weeks pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Leanna)
The nurses were amazing. Very friendly, informative, and reassuring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Describe Arthur Castelbaum's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
Treated 2015 - 2019
Some days I felt unimportant because he [Dr. Arthur Castelbaum] never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me...He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He [Dr. Castelbaum] never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage...My only complaint is that there were a few times (twice maybe?) they forgot to call in my medication. This problem was easily rectified by calling the after hours service. The on call doctor would call my prescriptions in for me. Aside from that, the nursing team was my rock. They encouraged me, cheered me on, and always took the extra time to explain everything to me. They have been phenomenal.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum is a very smart man. He is not an alarmist - he only gives you the information you need, and I think that’s to keep you for over analyzing or overthinking. I do, though, prefer to have more knowledge than I may need, so this has bothered me from time to time. When in his care, you need to have the mindset that he’s a professional and you need to trust him. Sometimes this can be hard for me, but I have seen many people have great success with him, so I do trust him.
Ask for more information when you need it.
It was kind of neutral. Some days I felt unimportant because he never elaborates, but when I have needed answers and pushed for me, he has provided that for me.
I was put on the antagonist protocol. He never explained the logic for this protocol. This yielded 14 eggs and resulted in 10 frozen embryos. We transferred 1 embryo each time. First transfer resulted in a negative test and the second resulted in a miscarriage.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It’s very difficult to get in touch with the person you’re looking to talk to. You can’t call directly through to an office - you speak to someone who puts a message in to your office and then they call you back when they can. This isn’t convenient for my line of work because I can’t talk at certain times throughout the day.
The cost of an IUI cycle was approximately $1,000 and for an egg retrieval and transfer, it cost just over $10,000.
I appreciate his conservative approach because the thought of carrying multiples worries me due to the increased health risks for myself and potential babies.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Minor problems - one being they didn’t upload my FET calendar of medication so they had to recreate it. Twice (out of many, many cycles), they forgot to call in my prescriptions.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Gutman[n] is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. ... Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her.
The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. ... They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket. ... I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. ...
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is brusk and and no-nonsense, but she is also incredibly intelligent and honest, which makes her very trustworthy. The way she casually talks about the procedure puts you at ease and makes you realize that she has done this a hundred times and knows what she is doing. Her treatments are kind of drawn out, however that's because she requires constant consultations and re-evaluations to make sure that you are completely safe and avoid any potential risks during the treatment. She's funny and I never once felt judged or uncomfortable with her. Once visit, I told her I was on my way to a baby shower and she said, "Well, if you need me to write you a doctor's note, I will absolutely do that." She understands how hard the journey is but doesn't dwell on it and always pushes forward.
Trust the process. She is not a terribly warm individual, especially when you first meet her, but that's because she is still evaluating what the absolute best options are for you. Every time you talk to her, you will be reminded as to why you are in her care. She's great if you like someone who is straight and to the point - no sugarcoating bad news. It might be a long treatment, but she will be invested the entire time and is open to suggestions if you feel as though you'd like to try a different treatment which I appreciated!
Not only Dr. Gutman, but her entire staff were gentle, but not so gentle that I felt they were incompetent. Dr. Gutman is so incredibly passionate about endocrinology and you can tell when you talk to her that she genuinely wants to see you succeed. I never once had to wait long for results and all of my questions were answered - they even didn't mind corresponding via email, which is my preferred method. They made sure I completely understood the entire process and the 'why' behind each step. They also were up front about the odds - no false promises about whether or not it would work. They have an entire financial team dedicated to finding the best options for you and take care when selecting medication, since we are paying 100% out of pocket.
After our initial consult, she scheduled me for an MRI of the pituitary, which showed a small tumor, meaning that I would very likely not respond to oral medications and advised we go straight to injectables. I began 75iu of Menopur for three days, then after my blood and ultrasound, continued for three more days. I was then bumped up to 150 iu after my estrogen was still &lt;100. I had bloods and ultrasound every 3 days throughout the entire process. I triggered with Ovidrel after day 14 of Menopur and my IUI was performed 32 hours later. I received my period prior to the pregnancy test. Our second IUI followed the same protocol, with 16 days of stims before trigger. This time, she started me at 75IU, but shortly bumped me back up to 150iu, as my estogren dropped after the first three injections. The second IUI resulted in a positive HCG test, but the level was 34 and quickly dropped to 6. I got my period shortly after. Our next IUI baseline is scheduled for this week and will likely follow the same protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
I was legitimately shocked at how well the nurses knew what was gong on, even if it was their first time meeting me. They were all funny and down to earth, which made the experience so much more managable. Every time they sent results, it felt as though they were experiencing the same emotions as you, whether it was excitement or disappointment. None of the emails they send were carbon copied - they were all completely individualized and answered very quickly. I think the only weakness would be that they sometimes assume that patients have a lot of prior knowledge, so when we had our first IUI, I was not sure exactly what all the terms and medications they were talking about. Now I understand them though.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
They have fantastic hours and multiple locations that all work together, so you can go to whichever one they have an appointment at. The one thing to be prepared for is that the nursing and patient services staff have absolutely nothing to do with finances or insurance. They don't know how much medications will be, they don't know what your insurance company will cover - that is completely handled by the finance department, so they will often suggest procedures to you without mentioning the price. The staff is amazing otherwise and the clinic is clean and welcoming. It might be a while to get an initial consult but it is worth it!
The out of pocket IUI package was $1800 and included everything but medication for a full cycle. I paid an additional $1800 for Menopur and $200 for ovidrel. We have no insurance coverage for fertility treatments, monitoring or medication. Total was about $3300 per IUI. We completed two unsuccessful cycles and are beginning our third.
Not applicable for our treament
King of Prussia
Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment...Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic [RMA of Philadelphia] who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
How was your experience with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Strengths and weaknesses Dr. Schlaff was knowledgeable, compassionate, warm, and direct. He made several small adjustments during my cycle that I truly believe made a difference in our outcome, such as delaying our retrieval by two days to allow for more follicles to mature (resulting in a couple more eggs being retrieved than would have otherwise) and also delaying our FET because I had fluid in my uterus. He adjusted medications to reduce the fluid down to almost none by transfer day. I found him to be an excellent communicator and felt from the beginning that no matter the outcome, we would have been satisfied that we gave it one last try under his care. I would wholeheartedly recommend Dr. Schlaff to anyone and can think of no weaknesses whatsoever.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Do not hesitate to meet with him if you are thinking about undergoing fertility treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia?
Prior to being treated by Dr. Schlaff, I was seen at a different clinic where I rarely saw or spoke with my main physician and was seen by different doctors, nurses, and ultrasound techs at each visit. I was seen at this prior clinic over the course of two years for 4 IUIs and 2 IVF cycles (none successful) and saw my original doctor a total of 3 times. This was my baseline experience with infertility treatment prior to deciding to switch clinics. From the very first time I met Dr. Schlaff, I knew my experience would be different. Dr Schlaff took the time to get to know my partner and me and our long history with secondary infertility. He was able to provide insight into many of our unanswered questions from our prior IVF clinic and recommended we see his staff clinical psychologist prior to deciding if and how to proceed with treatment. The emotional and mental aspect of our treatment was never addressed or considered at the prior clinic. Throughout my time with Dr. Schlaff, he called me personally multiple times to discuss results, provide updates, and offer support. He was always available to answer questions we had and was warm while also being direct. I felt that he and everyone else in the clinic got to know us throughout our treatment and were all in our corner the whole time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Jen and Shannon)
I primarily interacted with two NPs in the clinic who were both outstanding. They were excellent communicators via phone and email- I would often get a response immediately if I emailed during the day. They were extremely helpful in guiding me with where to get the medications at the best prices, were always on top of prescribing what I needed well ahead of time, and helped me anticipate what I would need for each upcoming step. It was always a pleasure seeing them in the office and I felt that I could reach out to them for anything I needed.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: small number of doctors at each practice location, so you see the same couple of doctors every time; monitoring ultrasounds are all performed by the physicians; continuity of care with both doctors and nurses; friendly and professional office staff; knowledgable financial coordinator Weaknesses: weekend monitoring at a different office was less convenient for me than the weekday office location I believe that the attentiveness of Dr. Schlaff and the other practitioners at the clinic made the all the difference in our successful outcome, especially since I went to his clinic years later than my prior clinic where I had multiple failed IUIs and IVF cycles.
Describe the costs associated with your care under William Schlaff at RMA of Philadelphia.
self-pay: 18K for single IVF cycle with PGS and ERA biopsy, including meds, though some meds were covered by insurance
William Schlaff
Treated 2015 - 2019
She [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] took time to explain the plan and seemed to truly care about our results...Overall I would say her methods are on the traditional/conservative side. While I appreciate her not pushing any products or treatments that don't have proven success rates, I do wish we would explore more out of the box options. Overall, I feel a sense of trust working with Dr. Gutman and feel like she truly cares about my outcome.
The RMA Nursing staff is amazing. They know their patients, listen, and really care. They are always available for questions and quick with responses...I received conflicting instructions for post retrieval meds after my first cycle...When I called in to get clarification, the nurse was even confused. Thankfully, I made friends with one of the nurse practitioners and was able to text her directly for clarification...We never had the option to transfer more than one embryo. However for our IUI with injections, Dr. Gutman was ok with proceeding with 3 or 4 mature follicles.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is very patient, caring and experienced. While you can tell she is very busy with many patients, the appointments never felt rushed. If questions aren't asked, she won't got into much detail. However when questions are asked, she will tell you what she is was thinking. Overall I would say her methods are on the traditional/conservative side. While I appreciate her not pushing any products or treatments that don't have proven success rates, I do wish we would explore more out of the box options. Overall, I feel a sense of trust working with Dr. Gutman and feel like she truly cares about my outcome.
If you have a question, ask it. Don't assume. She doesn't give much detail if you don't ask for it. If you want to try something new, you need to start that conversation as well.
I felt treated like a human. She took time to explain the plan and seemed to truly care about our results.
I have been through 2 IVF cycles with Dr. Gutman. The first cycle we used BC for a week prior to starting stims. We then followed the agonist protocol with an aggressive med list. We did 300 follistim iu and 75iu menopur for twelve nights. About a week into stims, we realized I wasn't responding to the meds as we would expect for someone my age. I was producing fewer eggs than normal. The word "cancel" was tossed around once or twice, however we went through with the retrieval. 8 follicles were retrieved, 6 were mature, 4 fertilized and made it to day 5, however only 1 was able to transferred. That round ended in a negative beta. We took a month off, and then started another round of stims. This time instead of BC, we primed with estrogen ( we thought the BC may have suppressed me too much). We then did the same agonist protocol with the same dosages. We stimmed another twelve nights and all monitoring appointments showed more follicles than the first round. However, retrieval yielded only 7 follicles, and none fertilized. We haven't done another IVF cycle since then. We have done 4 IUI's with follistim and follistim/clomid. The first IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The other three ended in negative betas. Each IUI showed at least 3 mature follicles.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Strengths: RMA truly wants the best for their patients. They are experienced and make you feel like a human, not a number. Weaknesses: They are busy, so if you don't have questions, they won't get into details. If you are questioning anything or everything, don't be afraid to ask and don't feel bad about it. It is their job to explain what is going on. One major downside to the clinic is the price. They don't offer any bundled packages and they need everything up front. IVF is EXPENSIVE and usually takes more than one try- it all adds up very quickly.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at RMA of Philadelphia.
Early morning monitoring appointments were hit or miss. Some days I would be in and out very quickly, other days I would be there for almost an hour. I would say they were usually on the quicker side for the most part, however there were still a handful of times that took way longer than needed. The days that did take long however, once I got into the monitoring room, I did not feel rushed out.
My insurance covered monitoring and bloodwork for IUI cycles. Nothing was covered for IVF. RMA prices are high and they don't offer any bundled packages which is the main reason I am holding back on moving forward with another cycle. If they offered better more affordable options, I would have started another retrieval already because I do feel comfortable and trust them. They did offer a tiny discount however with my next cycle being my third round, I was hoping for a deeper discount than offered.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
I received conflicting instructions for post retrieval meds after my first cycle. My take hoe instructions said one thing, while the scripts said another. When I called in to get clarification, the nurse was even confused. Thankfully, I made friends with one of the nurse practitioners and was able to text her directly for clarification.
Philadelphia
Since we are an LGBT couple with no known fertility issues, Dr. Lange recommended starting with IUI using a sperm donor. I did 2 medicated cycles using Letrozole and Ovidrel as a trigger shot. The first round was unsuccessful. The second round resulted in an ectopic pregnancy. We will be moving towards IVF due to the concerns of a higher chance of another ectopic pregnancy...In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer.
IUI cycles [at RMA of Philadelphia] were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications...IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication...The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Allison Lange was very knowledgeable and thorough when she created our treatment plan. She was able to walk us through the plan and answer any questions regarding our specific case. When I had blood work or ultrasounds done, if she was not the doctor on call, she still reviewed all of the results and made the final decisions. When we went through our unfortunate ectopic pregnancy, she was there to tell me the next steps. Dr. Lange went out of her way to personally make arrangements for me and made sure that I understood everything fully. She was very compassionate and made me feel like I was important. After, she personally called to check in on how I was doing physically and emotionally. She set up another appointment to review our treatment plan and answer any questions we may have had.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
One piece of advice would be to go in with an open mind. She will take the time to review your case and create a plan for you based on your specific needs or goals.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
During our visits Dr. Lange was very welcoming and talked to us about our specific case. Our second IUI ended in an ectopic pregnancy. Dr. Lange sat with us and explained everything that was happening and comforted us. She also called after to check in on us following the procedure and creating a new plan.
Describe the protocols Allison Lange used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses were very compassionate, professional and willing to help. They called the same day with test results when applicable. If I sent an email via the secure portal, I always received an answer promptly.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic starts you off with a visit with the doctor of your choice to discuss a potential treatment plan. They discuss any procedures or bloodwork you may need to get done to start the process. The clinic is made up of multiple offices so some doctors do travel between clinics. Therefore, you may not always get to meet with your specific doctor if you go in for bloodwork, ultrasounds, etc. If visits are not time sensitive, such as baseline, you can try to schedule with your specific doctor. You also have the option of scheduling appointments at different offices if you they are closer to you. The King of Prussia office is open 7 days a week. I live a distance away from my clinic so they work with me to get bloodwork done local to my house to try to help with travel. While you may not see your specific doctor, the other doctors are equally qualified and willing to help. My IUI procedures were done by a different doctor and I still felt as if I was treated as a person and they were still invested in my case.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia.
IUI cycles were about 1,200 with monitoring but not including medications IVF cycles range from 10,750-26,000 depending on need not including medication
Describe Allison Lange's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
In our case due to age and egg reserve, Dr. Lange recommended when we proceed with IVF to do a single embryo transfer. I am unsure of other cases.
Allison Lange
Treated 2014 - 2019
I wish I would see Dr. Freedman more often as well as hear from him throughout a cycle. I know he is making decisions behind the scenes, but I usually only hear about them through the nursing team. He makes small adjustments as needed, but I'm not always aware of what those changes are expected to accomplish.... Several times Dr. Freedman has called late at night to discuss results and discuss next steps.
The clinic [RMA of PA- King of Prussia] has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.... Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Come with lots of questions and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself.
Describe the protocols Martin Freedman used in your cycles at RMA of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
My first retrieval I did 2 weeks of birth control followed by an antagonist protocol. Part way through my Menopur dosage was raised. I stimmed for 11 days and retrieved 8 eggs, all were mature, 6 fertilized, and 2 made it to blast. Both came back mosaic. My second protocol we eliminated the birth control because Dr. Freedman thought it may have over suppressed me and we could get more eggs. Same medicine and we retrieved 13 eggs, 8 were mature, 6 fertilized, and none made it to blast. We were shocked and have no good reason why it happened. I am planning a microdose lupron protocol next month.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic has flexible scheduling and is great about getting you in when you need to get there. Even my consultation appointment was made earlier because they called with a cancellation. They usually run on time and are always quick to respond to questions.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia.
Currently covered by insurance
Describe Martin Freedman's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at RMA of Philadelphia.
He is very adamant that single is best, especially at my age.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Before a hystroscopy test the staff failed to tell me that I must abstain from sex for a given time beforehand. When they were asking me questions the day prior to the procedure they realized that I had sex too close to ovulation. They wanted to cancel my procedure prior to speaking with the doctor. I had to insist that they ask him and ensured them that I was willing to take any potential risk involved.

Treated 2017 - 2019
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. ... He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case.
I don't see any weaknesses. It is an exemplary clinic and others should take note of how well it is run not only with efficiency but compassion and kindness as well. I would recommend RMA King of Prussia to anyone seeking ART. ... MA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples. ... The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness ...
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Castelbaum genuinely cares about the patients he works with. He was warm, friendly, and funny when appropriate. He treated me and my partner with the utmost respect and dignity. He worked extensively to help us with the situation we had, and constantly expressed empathy and compassion for our specific case. I absolutely love being a patient of his and wish all doctors had the knowledge and kindness he freely displays.
Take him over any other doctor, he is truly one of a kind.
Dr. Castelbaum is one of the warmest, most caring doctors I have ever met. He was extremely compassionate and empathetic to the situation happening with me and my partner. He explained everything clearly, has an incredible bedside manner, and genuinely cares about his patients. He is a wonderful man and doctor to work with.
We did a fairly aggressive antagonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur then Cetrotide. I responded extremely well to the protocol. At retrieval I had 25 eggs, with 23 being mature. 16 fertilized with ICSI and 8 embryos made it to day 5 for PGS biopsy and freezing. I did not respond well to the oral/vaginal estrogen, so we performed a mini-stim protocol for the FET. I did 10 days of follistim 75IU injections, with PIO starting a few days before transfer. Unfortunately the transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test. I am hoping to generate more embryos before prepping for a new FET.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses always greeted me with such warmth and kindness. My husband was undergoing cancer treatment while I was going through IVF-FET and they always made sure to check in to see how he was doing. I loved everyone on the staff.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I had insurance coverage so the total cost of meds plus treatment was under $5000 total.
RMA's policy is to transfer a single embryo unless it has been shown to be absolutely necessary to try multiples.
King of Prussia
[RMA of Philadelphia] felt like a factory- being moved through. The staff often seemed annoyed. They lost test results and did not provide results from a test they performed despite three requests. I’m not sure if the issue was just being disorganized or the personalities of the staff, but we had issues on so many occasions, we moved on to another clinic. The atmosphere was not warm or inviting.... Then lost bloodwork results we provided and tried to rerun tests. When I stoped then from trying to do this, they told me I would have to come back after they had a chance to review things.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I felt like Dr Castelbaum has a very high opinion of himself and his clinic. He spent a lot of time talking about how his clinic did well when inspected by the FDA. This seemed like a strange thing to talk about during our consult with some difficult news. I felt like he was pressuring us to use a donor egg without asking how we felt about it. He really dumped a lot of difficult information on us at once without much compassion. He suggested we have a cry and beer at home before coming back and talking with him again. If felt very strange and like we were taking up space in his office is we weren’t totally on board with his plan after 5 minutes of discussion. He was very blunt and said “you’re a complicated case” immediately after we entered the room. He prescribed Clomid and did not offer to monitor or follow up with me. I had a very bad drug reaction and spoke with a nurse who said she spoke with the doctor and told me there was nothing they could do and I should see my general doctor. When I called a week later seeking guidance after I got my period, I spoke with a nurse who said she would talk to the doctor and get bs m to me and they never did. I’m so glad we went elsewhere!
Don’t expect a great deal of compassion. He is very blunt.
I felt like I was in a processing plant. At first I thought I liked Dr Castelbaum, but then I realized I didn’t feel comfortable with his demeanor. I felt like the office staff and nurses were often upset about something and our presence or questions were annoying them.
He prescribed clomid but had me start on day 6, which another doctor confirmed didn’t do anything. I had terrible side effects (tingling in limbs and panic attacks) and they did nothing to help me or advise me after I called reporting the side effects.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nurses lost the bloodwork results I provided twice. They then tried to redo some of the blood tests. I had to come back the next day because they wouldn’t look at the results I previously provided while I was there. They didn’t return am important call on one occasion. In general, I didn’t feel like they cared.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
It felt like a factory- being moved through. The staff often seemed annoyed. They lost test results and did not provide results from a test they performed despite three requests. I’m not sure if the issue was just being disorganized or the personalities of the staff, but we had issues on so many occasions, we moved on to another clinic. The atmosphere was not warm or inviting.
The HSG test costs seemed high. Other costs were for office visits.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Then lost bloodwork results we provided and tried to rerun tests. When I stoped then from trying to do this, they told me I would have to come back after they had a chance to review things. It took 3 visits to sort this out and they still reran one of the tests I had just had done. Then also would not provide the results from my husbands tests after three requests ( 2 from us, one from our new doctor).
Langhorne
Dr. Gutman seems to be a no-nonsense doctor. While my partner and I have been having fertility problems she said our outlook is optimistic. I don’t think she would have said this if she didn’t believe it. We went to her for a second opinion and she discussed different ways she would change our current fertility regimen.... Having one failed IVF cycle Dr. Gutman stated that If I did more IVF treatment cycles she would add Menopur in addition to Follistim. Also, having had one chemical pregnancy she suggested doing a hysteroscopy and ERA testing.
RMA is a large clinic with multiple sites so they have a lot of the kinks worked out. It also did not take that long to get in to see Dr. Gutman.... Before my appointment I was told I would need to fill out history in an electronic form. I never received this and had to call the office multiple times to receive this form. Other than that, I really did not have much interaction with the nursing staff....At first, I felt like a human as Dr. Guttman greeted us in the waiting room. After taking us into her office she mostly went through her computer
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman seems to be a no-nonsense doctor. While my partner and I have been having fertility problems she said our outlook is optimistic. I don’t think she would have said this if she didn’t believe it. We went to her for a second opinion and she discussed different ways she would change our current fertility regimen. This was helpful in that we were able to discuss these suggestions with our primary fertility doctor. Dr. Gutman also offered us the single best piece of advice we have received in our fertility journey. After 2 years, multiple IUIs, a cycle of IVF we were unsure of how to proceed on this journey. Dr. Gutman stated that whatever we decide we should be able to look back and be comfortable with the decisions we made. In this painstaking, emotional journey those words ring very true as we proceed in trying to make our family.
No non-sense, not the warmest person but very knowledgeable and willing to try different regimens.
At first, I felt like a human as Dr. Guttman greeted us in the waiting room. After taking us into her office she mostly went through her computer and reviewed the information we had already submitted online. She listened to our questions but I got the impression from her that “she’s heard it all”. I felt like she treated us somewhere between a number and a human.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
RMA is a large clinic with multiple sites so they have a lot of the kinks worked out. It also did not take that long to get in to see Dr. Gutman. Her demeanor is not warm and fuzzy but she did give us a good second opinion. I mentioned during my appointment that I had spoken with a clinical coordinator and was told I would be eligible to do a clinical trial for IVF. She told me I would not be eligible and her dismissal of it was a little brusk. As for the second opinion she told us what she would do differently in our IVF treatment. Specifically, she would start me on a higher dose or follistim and would add Menopur. Additionally, because I have had one chemical pregnancy in the past she suggested doing a hysteroscopy and possibly an ERA biopsy. She also stated that my partner and I should definitely do PGS testing with our next cycle. I did not get the warmest feeling from her but do feel as though she gave us a sound, honest opinion.
I thought I would be eligible for a clinical trial which would cut my expenses but Dr. Gutman quickly informed me that I would not be eligible. Other than that, they did set up an appointment for us to speak with the financial team which we have not followed up with because at this point we only went to Dr. Gutman for a second opinion.
She would elect for in the future doing PGS testing and then transfer one embryo. She said, ultimately it would be our decision on transferring one or two embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at RMA of Philadelphia.
Before my appointment they told me I would have to fill out history on a computer and submit it electronically. I had to call the week before my appointment because I was never emailed the packet to fill out.
Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Gutmann] always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing...is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results.
Throughout both cycles [of IUI at RMA of Philadelphia] there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation...The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process... Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Gutman is very knowledgeable, compassionate and has a great sense of humor. During our first consultation and workup she was completely upfront and honest with what my test results revealed and the potential difficulties that could lie ahead. However, she was always very empathetic and made it known that she was confident in her abilities and was going to work very hard to achieve my desired results. I felt very comfortable in her presence and confident in the treatment decisions that she made throughout my care. She understood how crazy the back and forth almost daily visits at times for monitoring could be and did her best to take my life/work schedule into consideration. I don't know that I could have had a better experience. She truly made this very stressful process go much smoother than I ever anticipated. I am blessed to have found such an amazing fertility Dr.
Dr. Gutmann is straight forward when it comes to describing your care, potential issues, all of your potential options. She doesn't sugar coat the facts, but she also lets you know she is here to help and fight with you through the entire process. My percentages for a successful pregnancy were extremely low and she was up front with that, but also had a thorough game plan in place to beat those odds. She is determined and very skilled at what she does.
Dr. Gutmann was always very warm and determined to help me achieve my dreams of becoming a mother. She is very straight forward and honest when answering questions, but always was there responding to my anxieties and helping me through this often stressful process. She always communicated with me and made sure I was aware of the next steps and had all of the support I needed through each IUI process. She also went above and beyond helping me fight some insurance issues that started midway through my treatments. Her bedside manner is amazing.
My first cycle began with Clomid and Ovedril leading to my IUI. My second cycle we used Letrozole to regulate my ovulation and Ovedril prior to the IUI. Throughout both cycles there was constant blood work and ultrasound monitoring to track my ovulation.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
The nursing staff was incredible. They were all very knowledgeable about the entire process. They returned phone calls and emails promptly and were always following up to ensure that you had all medications needed and thoroughly understood your next steps. The team there works amazingly well together. I am sad to leave and transition back to my OBGYN for monitoring.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
All of the staff at RMA is warm, friendly, and thorough. Even the financial coordinator was amazing and helped me through some very difficult insurance changes that occurred at the beginning of the year in the middle of my treatments. There was an occasional time or two where my monitoring was completed by another Dr. and they were all very friendly and knowledgeable. Everything was very organized and clean on each visit. The waiting room was always full when I arrived, but your wait times were minimal. This office does run like a well oiled machine.
With each visit I had a $30 copay. All other treatment was covered except the cost of my donor sperm. I had to pay out of pocket for two rounds of donor sperm which ran around $2000.
Treated 2018 - 2019
The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful, they are very kind and compassionate individuals and if I have any questions they respond back very quickly via phone or email...Strengths are communication and compassion by each individual, weakness would be the distance because I travel 100 miles and price because they are more expensive than other clinics I have looked at or went to...I feel like she [Dr. Allison Lange] didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person...We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
How was your experience with Allison Lange at RMA of Philadelphia?
When i first met with dr Lange she thoroughly reviewed my records from previous doctors and cycles and explained how we would approach treatment with her and what to expect. Once I went through an egg retrieval and then frozen transfer which resulted in a chemical, she recommended further testing as far as a miscarriage panel and ERA biopsy. I also recommended some further tests like natural killer cells and she agreed and wrote for it. Once we reviewed all results she took a different approach this time around which i am currently in the process of getting ready for a transfer. We made adjustments like synthroid for my borderline tsh, also started me on letrozole for a month to suppress my system for my endometriosis, along with testing my pituitary by ct scan due to elevated prolactin levels and started me on a medication for hyperprolactinemia, and I will get intralipid infusions for elevated NO cells . And will adjust my progesterone injections from the results of my era. To say the least I think that is very thorough and shows she is trying to everything she can to make this cycle work.
You are in good hands with a genuine and kind hearted physician that truly cares about her patients and developes a plan that works for you and if you have any questions or recommendations in your care she will take it into consideration and help as much as possible.
I felt like a human because every time I had questions or concerns Dr Lange would personally reach out to me via phone or in person and explain in detail what was going on. She did not push the work off to a nurse or anyone else. I would ask her what she would do in certain circumstances and she would be honest and tell me what she felt she would do and why. She is very compassionate and recommended different tests that she thought we help me during my treatment. I feel like she didn’t jump into doing anything until we had all our ducks in a row. She truly is one of the nicest doctors I have dealt with over the past 3 years and an overall genuine and kind person.
Unfortunately I don’t have results yet because I am getting ready for another transfer which I discussed earlier the different protocols she is currently using in my care.
Not sure
She recommended single but was willing to do multiple due to recurrent miscarriages but explained the risks
Allison Lange
King of Prussia
IVF was [Dr. Martin Freedman's] first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos...is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.
RMA really knows what they're doing, and I never felt like I was a number. Information was always relayed to me the same day from the nurses, and if I had any specific questions my doctor would respond to me directly via email as well. All scheduling was always simple, and financing explained all the information for my insurance and then self pay options clearly...IVF was the first suggestion, due to male fertility factor. Doctor freedman started with standard IVF protocol, however initial round I did not develop enough follicles. Second cycle, estrace priming was utilized along with increase dosage of gonal f. After slight tweak moved forward with successful egg retrieval which resulted in 5 fertilized embryos.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Doctor Freedman is one of the kindest and most empathetic doctors I have ever had. It was a long process, however from my first consult I knew I was in the right hands. Every set back we had, I never doubted my doctor and knew we would have the end result we had been waiting for. I can't recommend him enough.
IVF is a long and sometimes confusing process, Doctor Freedman is at the top of his field. Trust the information he’s providing, but remember to ask plenty of questions.
Doctor Freedman was empathetic the entire process, and explained every step of the way with us. We had a few setbacks and he was always optimistic our end result would be pregnancy.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Insurance lifetime max was utilized, after this was hit I paid the difference cash.
Doctor Freedman is adamant on one embryo at a time. Due to my age and first IVF attempt, we opted not to have embryos tested. After 3 failed single embryo transfers, doctor freedman suggested putting 2 in. Which resulted in singleton pregnancy. If embryos were tested, we would still do one at a time.

Treated 2016 - 2019
Dr Castelbaum always made me feel important during every appointment. I never felt rushed during any visit and always took the time to answer any questions or concerns I had...My ovaries did not respond well to the medications and they only retrieved 4 eggs resulting in one embryo which did not work. Dr Castelbaum expressed his concerns but said we could try a more aggressive protocol and added in micro Lupron. I responded much better with the added medication. This time they got 19 eggs and I ended with 3 embryos. We transferred one embryo, which resulted in a miscarriage, and froze the rest. The first frozen transfer worked and I had a daughter. I just had my second frozen transfer which always worked!
RMA has knowledgeable, friendly medical professionals working there. They make you feel comfortable every time your there. They never rush you and spend as much time as needed to answer any questions. They always get back to you in a timely manner...The nursing staff at RMA is wonderful! Everyone knew me by name and made me feel so comfortable every time I went for an appointment. They were also always helpful with any questions or concerns I had...I paid total around $17,000 for the 2 fresh cycles. Medications for fresh cycle were around $3-4K (with discounts). The frozen cycle was $3,000 and meds were about $500.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr Castelbaum is amazing! I thought I would never have children of my own and now I have a daughter and another little one on the way! He gave me the family I was dreamed of! I HIGHLY recommend Dr Castelbaum and RMA!
If your having trouble conceiving, see Dr Castelbaum. You won’t regret it!
At every visit I was greeted by my first name as soon as I walked in the door. Dr Castelbaum always made me feel important during every appointment. I never felt rushed during any visit and always took the time to answer any questions or concerns I had.
I did two cycles of IVF. The first cycle I used Gonal-F, Meopur & cetrotide. My ovaries did not respond well to the medications and they only retrieved 4 eggs resulting in one embryo which did not work. Dr Castelbaum expressed his concerns but said we could try a more aggressive protocol and added in micro Lupron. I responded much better with the added medication. This time they got 19 eggs and I ended with 3 embryos. We transferred one embryo, which resulted in a miscarriage, and froze the rest. The first frozen transfer worked and I had a daughter. I just had my second frozen transfer which always worked!
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
My insurance only covered diagnostics for IVF so most of the cost was out of pocket. I paid total around $17,000 for the 2 fresh cycles. Medications for fresh cycle were around $3-4K (with discounts). The frozen cycle was $3,000 and meds were about $500.
Treated 2018 - 2019
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. ... My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. ... We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more. ...
Mostly strengths with this clinic [RMA of Philadelphia]....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away. ... Melissa and Lindsay are top notch. If you call and they aren't available, you WILL get a call back on the same day. If you email, you WILL get a reply. They are super compassionate and are very invested in the care of their patients. Such sweet ladies!
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Dr. Freedman did exactly what he set out to do. His role was to help me get pregnant with a healthy baby. We got pregnant with our first transfer (under his care) with a PGS normal Male embryo. He followed our progress daily and called personally to congratulate us! He made sure our questions were answered the same day we asked. You can't ask for much more.
Trust in what he believes...his experience in this process speaks volumes.
I felt like a human. He is very down to earth and goes out of his way to speak directly with his patients, even on a a weekend.
My protocol was metformin and estrace daily. We added gonal-f and menopur with a lupron trigger. At age 39, we retrieved 35 eggs, 30 were mature. I ended up with 6 5AA embryos, sent for PGS. After PGS we had 3 normal males and 2 mosaic males. We got pregnant on the first transfer of a 5AA PGS normal male.
Describe your experience with your nurse at RMA of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melissa & Lindsay)
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
Mostly strengths with this clinic....i have never really had an issue that wasn't addressed immediately. They communicate well and make you feel important. The only major weakness is that all surgical and transfer procedures are done in King of Prussia, almost 2 hours away.
We had insurance (at the time) with a $6500 deductible. The deductible was met quickly,.then 80 percent was covered. For a full cycle, including monitoring, recurrent loss blood panel, karyotype testing and PGS testing, we paid about $5000 out of pocket.
He believes in PGS testing with one common goal, which is helping each mom have a healthy pregnancy with a healthy baby. He doesn't transfer multiple embryos if PGS tested.
Mechanicsburg
Treated 2015 - 2019
These nurses [at RMA of Philadelphia] cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them... I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
I honestly can't think of a single weakness when it comes to Dr. Castelbaum. He is knowledgeable, compassionate, thorough, and kind. No two people are the same and he knows that and it shows in how he interacts with each of his patients. My husband and I brought embryos with us to Dr. Castelbaum from another facility. He was up front in telling us that he wanted his embryologist to review them because every clinic has their own guidelines for freezing and storing embryos and he wouldn't know what we had until they could look at them for themselves. After the first transfer with him from those embryos it resulted in a successful pregnancy where I gave birth to a healthy baby girl. Upon returning to the office two years later we did 4 additional transfers. The first 2 were with our remaining embryos we had brought with us from the other facility. From those, we had 1 early miscarriage (blighted ovum) and 1 chemical pregnancy. We then did another round of injections for egg retrieval. First transfer from this round was a chemical pregnancy. Second transfer was successful and I'm currently 10 weeks, 3 days pregnant and was discharged to my OB a week ago. It's so easy to blame doctors for a failed embryo transfer. My failed transfers were devastating to me; but I also remember how shocked and upset Dr. Castelbaum was for us. We did not do genetic testing although it was recommended to us to reduce the risk of miscarriage. Even though we chose not to, we were never judged for it. I almost gave up after the third failed transfer. Emotionally, I didn't know if I could keep going. Mentally, I knew I wasn't ready to give up. I'll never forget what Dr. Castelbaum said to me on my last appointment: "I know you were ready to jump ship and I understand why. But I'm so glad you didn't. It takes a lot of courage to do what you did. I'm glad I got to be a part of this and am so happy for you." These words will stick with me the rest of my life and I still tear up thinking about it. I could never thank him enough for all he's done for me and my husband.
Please realize Doctors are human. They can't give guaranteed results and they aren't perfect. Dr. Castelbaum loves what he does and it shows. If you want someone that will give you the brutal truth, yet deliver it in a compassionate way and someone who will truly fight for you Dr. Castelbaum is the guy to see.
I have been to two different facilities. The first one was like a meat market; standing room only and unless you had some news worthy fertility problem, you never saw the physicians, you always saw a nurse or a PA. At RMA I saw a Physician every time I went, and I was made to feel important. If I had to wait, I never minded because I knew the wait was due to them wanting to give every patient the same respect, time, and quality appointment.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
These nurses cried with me during my losses, encouraged me to hold on to hope, and embraced me with my successes. I can't say enough positive things about them. No matter how many times I emailed or had questions, they always answered me as soon as possible and assured me I wasn't a bother and that this is what they were there for. I felt cared for with them.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The clinic is a reflection of those who work there. If you read my full review of the Doctors and staff, you'll agree this clinic is fantastic. I did have a few issues with billing, but that wasn't their fault. My insurance is tricky and certain parts are carved out. Even through those issues, the billing staff were cooperative and willing to work with me to get this all straightened out.
I had insurance coverage for almost all of my treatments.
Dr. Castelbaum is a strong believer in only transferring one embryo. I was hesitant to agree but after he gave us the facts, I understood why and I knew he had my best interest in mind.
Langhorne
I generally had good interactions with Dr. Freedman. I rarely saw or spoke to him during my cycles, but I saw him each time at pregnancy ultrasounds. During ultrasound appointments it often seemed like he was busy, which I am sure he was...Be willing to do most of your interactions with the nurses at this practice...I did three IUIs with Letrozole. There wasn't really an explanation for the medication or dosages. When I asked the nurse about next steps after the second unsuccessful IUI, she pretty much conveyed that she wasn't sure, but probably the same thing. I asked for the dose to be increased and it was.
I almost exclusively interacted with the nursing staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] which was mostly fine, but I wish there was more debriefing after unsuccessful cycles and involvement in the "game plan." After experiencing a miscarriage, I was never contacted by the clinic and they didn't follow my beta hcg down to zero...You often see different nurses and doctors at your appointments...Some IUI cycles weren't covered by insurance and those were $1000, plus cost of medicine.
How was your experience with Martin Freedman at RMA of Philadelphia?
Be willing to do most of your interactions with the nurses at this practice.
You often see different nurses and doctors at your appointments. Dr. Freeman returned my direct messages, but nurses communicated the majority of the time.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at RMA of Philadelphia.
I had brief experiences with nurses at this practice during blood work, ultrasounds, IUIs and calls with results. They were fine.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
I like that this office has early monitoring appointments starting at 7:00am. I was given Dr. Freedman's card with his email, which he responded to promptly. I almost exclusively interacted with the nursing staff which was mostly fine, but I wish there was more debriefing after unsuccessful cycles and involvement in the "game plan." After experiencing a miscarriage, I was never contacted by the clinic and they didn't follow my beta hcg down to zero.

Treated 2018 - 2019
She [Dr. Jacqueline Gutmann] is a little blunt and to the point but is compassionate as well, which I have found is a great mix for a doctor to have. She also took the time to call me personally after my failed cycles and to provide feedback on next steps. She came up with a new protocol for us which we were so thankful for. Overall, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking help in conceiving...As we PGS tested our embryos and as we are u dear 35, Dr. Gutmann would only let us transfer one embryo. This is the general practice at RMA.
We have been pleased with RMA’s clinic and surgery center. Appointment times are generally on time. Location in King if Prussia is great for us and they have lots of other convenient locations in the area...Overall the nursing staff is pleasant to work with. There are a few nurses that I see more than others since I go to the same RMA location. They remember me and are professional and attentive...we PGS tested our embryos and as we are u dear 35, Dr. Gutmann would only let us transfer one embryo. This is the general practice at RMA.
How was your experience with Jacqueline Gutmann at RMA of Philadelphia?
We have been seeing Dr. Gutmann for almost a year. She is extremely knowledgeable and I trust her with my care. We have had a couple different procedures with her and she is always very professional. She is a little blunt and to the point but is compassionate as well, which I have found is a great mix for a doctor to have. She also took the time to call me personally after my failed cycles and to provide feedback on next steps. She came up with a new protocol for us which we were so thankful for. Overall, I would highly recommend her to anyone seeking help in conceiving.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
We had insurance coverage during our treatment.
Treated 2018 - 2019
He [Dr. Arthur Castelbaum] made my husband & I feel comfortable right from the beginning. Unfortunately our insurance didn’t cover fertility and he was amazing every step of the way to help us and keep it as reasonable as possible...We fell in the category of unknown fertility issues. We originally started with Clomid for a few months but still no success. We then tried IUI, the 1st time was a success unfortunately ended with a miscarriage at 9 weeks. We tried another IUI and we’ve been successful this far. We are going on 12 weeks and hoping for an amazing outcome.
The drs & staff [at RMA of Philadelphia] were wonderful from beginning to end. They never made you feel like a number and always made you feel at home. I would recommend this office to anyone. I was definitely satisfied with my experience...The nursing staff was amazing as well. You spend a lot of time in the office when going through fertility and you build friendships with them. They always made me feel comfortable...
How was your experience with Arthur Castelbaum at RMA of Philadelphia?
He made my husband & I feel comfortable right from the beginning. Unfortunately our insurance didn’t cover fertility and he was amazing every step of the way to help us and keep it as reasonable as possible.
You will not be disappointed.
Dr Castelbaum was truly amazing. He made my husband & I feel as comfortable as possible.
Describe your experience with RMA of Philadelphia.
The drs & staff were wonderful from beginning to end. They never made you feel like a number and always made you feel at home. I would recommend this office to anyone. I was definitely satisfied with my experience.
I honestly don’t remember each cost as my insurance did not cover fertility treatment