Rosalind Franklin Univ

Genetic counseling is not offered: Not OfferedAcupuncture is not offered: Not OfferedMental health counseling is not offered: Not OfferedNutrition counseling: OfferedAdministration of shots: OfferedCoordinating at-home nursing: OfferedSelling medication is not offered: Not OfferedProviding backup medication: Offered
830 West End Ct.
Vernon Hills, IL 60061
847-247-6900
On a scale from 0-10, how likely are you to recommend Rosalind Franklin Univ to a friend?
1 doctor
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological, Unexplained
nurses, medical assistants, and even the receptionist [at Rosalind Franklin University] knew me by first name. My protocol was tailored to my history and my labs. I regularly communicated with the nurse in charge of my case and got personal responses...She [nurse] is incredibly caring, patient focused and supportive. She has been working for Dr. KK for many years now and knows the protocols in & out as well as Dr. KK's preferences. However, she also works closely with Dr. KK and makes sure to get her input on less routine issues.
2014 - 2018
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Immunological, Unexplained
Describe your experience with Rosalind Franklin Univ.
The clinic is one of very few in this field. They take ins, unlike several of the others. They aren't cheap, but not outrageously priced either. They have their own lab, used by some other RIs too, that Dr. KK oversees. The staff is incredible, except for billing dept, which is meh. The u/s techs are generally foreign drs who aren't yet licensed in the US (downside is the turnaround when are licensed). The downside is given their success, they've become very busy and especially when one of the primary nurses/drs are on vacation, can be slow to respond to portal messages.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joanne Kwak-Kim at Rosalind Franklin Univ?
Her nurses, medical assistants, and even the receptionist knew me by first name. My protocol was tailored to my history and my labs. I regularly communicated with the nurse in charge of my case and got personal responses.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Rosalind Franklin Univ. (Assigned nurse: Margaret Sullivan)
Margaret is a godsend. She knows my chart in & out. She gives me my testing schedule, checks my meds on a regular basis, analyzes my labs (with Dr. KK's input as necessary). She is incredibly caring, patient focused and supportive. She has been working for Dr. KK for many years now and knows the protocols in & out as well as Dr. KK's preferences. However, she also works closely with Dr. KK and makes sure to get her input on less routine issues.
What specific things went wrong at Rosalind Franklin Univ?
How was your experience with Joanne Kwak-Kim at Rosalind Franklin Univ?
Dr. KK is a fantastic researcher and very knowledgeable in her field. She studied under the pioneer, Dr. Alan Beer, and even worked under him in the earlier days. She is cautious (good & bad), but mostly for the purpose of preserving your overall health, not just do anything to get you a baby at the expense of your health. She doesn't do the "kitchen sink" approach, rather gives you safe & effective options, though maybe not always the most aggressive. This is enough for most, though maybe not all. She's pretty straightforward about her thoughts, she definitely doesn't sugar coat, but she won't lead you on with false promises either. She deeply cares about her patients, but not the touchy feeling type at all. She is very busy though between running the clinic, overseeing the lab, presenting research at conferences, etc. so don't expect to be getting a lot of direct attention from her, but you can definitely get her time by making an appointment with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joanne Kwak-Kim at Rosalind Franklin Univ?
She's not the dr you want if you're looking for a kitchen sink approach, but perfect if you're looking for someone who is incredibly knowledgeable, thorough, and balances your long-term health with helping you have a baby.
Describe the protocols Joanne Kwak-Kim used in your cycles at Rosalind Franklin Univ and their degree of success.
She doesn't do IVF or IUI, only immune protocol. She will make recommendations on your IUI/IVF cycle if you and/or your RE want her to, but otherwise she primarily starts once you are pregnant and mostly only does some bloodflow and immune checks prior to transfer. She uses a lot of prednisone, IVIG, lovenox, BA, supplements, heparin, planquil, metformin and will sometimes also use Enbrel, Humira, and a few other drugs. Doesn't use intralipids (doesn't believe in its effectiveness) or Neupogen (believes it's too risky)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joanne Kwak-Kim at Rosalind Franklin Univ.
The initial work-up is expensive, up to 5K if ins doesn't cover anything including labs. After that, you pay for what services you use. There's a 1 follow-up requirement per trimester. If you use portal to replace in-person/telephone follow-ups, there's a periodic charge.
Joanne Kwak-Kim
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Immunological
Strengths - the clinic [Rosalind] feels small and personal to me. They were always able to work with my schedule, since I was driving 4.5 hours each way to my appointments. Michelle and the staff were quick to respond to my questions via the online portal. The staff were great about sending lab orders to me via email so I could have the blood drawn locally at a lab. Weaknesses - it was sometimes difficult to talk to someone on the phone. I found that they were more responsive via the online portal than if I left a voicemail.
Recurrent Pregnancy Loss, Anovulation, PCOS, Immunological
Describe your experience with Rosalind Franklin Univ.
Strengths - the clinic feels small and personal to me. They were always able to work with my schedule, since I was driving 4.5 hours each way to my appointments. Michelle and the staff were quick to respond to my questions via the online portal. The staff were great about sending lab orders to me via email so I could have the blood drawn locally at a lab. Weaknesses - it was sometimes difficult to talk to someone on the phone. I found that they were more responsive via the online portal than if I left a voicemail.
Dr. Kwak-Kim's office took a very personalized approach to my situation. I feel like they left no stone unturned. I feel like the staff and nurses there really get to know their patients. The front desk staff knew my name when I arrived to check in, the nurses remembered the name of my older child who would accompany me to appointments, and I feel like the NP assigned to me was very familiar with my medical history.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Rosalind Franklin Univ. (Assigned nurse: Michelle Griffiths)
Michelle was the NP who followed my case. She was very thorough and did an excellent job of explaining why my medications were being adjusted. I feel like Michelle took a proactive approach to my treatment cycles and pregnancy and didn't wait until something was a problem before thinking about how to address it. She carefully considered my history and test results in making a treatment plan with Dr. Kwak-Kim. Even though I saw Michelle at every one of my appointments, I knew that Dr. Kwak-Kim was still involved in my treatment plan. The nurses who did the IVIG infusions were excellent. They were so personable, friendly, and did a great job at placing my IV lines each week. I really cannot say enough good things about Dr. Kwak-Kim, her staff and her clinic. They are miracle workers in my mind and helped us get our dream baby after 4 miscarriages and 1 chemical pregnancy in a row.
How was your experience with Joanne Kwak-Kim at Rosalind Franklin Univ?
Dr. Kwak-Kim meets with patients on their first visit. The NP typically handles subsequent patient visits but keeps Dr. Kwak-Kim apprised of the situation. One example of the excellent care and responsiveness from Dr. Kwak-Kim is as follows: I was taking Lovenox injections twice daily and one of my injection sites didn't clot. After 15 hours of bleeding, I called the after-hours number on a Saturday night and spoke to an answering service person. Dr. Kwak-Kim returned the call to me herself in less than 30 minutes. She was familiar with my protocol, knew what meds I was taking, and told me how to handle the situation. She also called in blood tests that I needed to have drawn the next day. I was so impressed with her attention to detail and the personal way she handled the situation. I was worried about bothering her or her staff on a Saturday night but she assured me that I did the right thing by calling in about the injection site not clotting.
Dr. Kwak-Kim can be difficult to understand due to her accent, so be prepared to ask follow up questions and request a summary in writing.
I was on low dose aspirin, claritin, metformin, and a variety of supplements for the duration of my treatment cycles and pregnancy. During the treatment cycles, I was on Letrozole, Follistim, Ovidrel for the trigger, IVIg, prednisone, Prometrium after ovulation, and Lovenox once daily. After pregnancy was achieved, I was on progesterone support (Progesterone in oil shots and prometrium), estrogen support (estradiol tablets and patches), prednisone, IVIg infusions, and continued the low dose aspirin, claritin, metformin, and supplements. I had issues with high NK cells and inflammation levels. My blood clotting factor was also higher than normal, which had been undiagnosed by previous fertility doctors. Dr. Kwak-Kim also diagnosed with Hashimotos, which was missed by pervious doctors, as well. I feel like her tests are so thorough and her approach to treatment covers all of the bases. I felt like it was a lot of medication but each drug had a specific purpose for my particular situation. Dr. Kwak-Kim made sure that I was monitored closely, with blood work at least weekly to check thyroid and hormone levels. Adjustments were made to my medication doses every week based on the blood draw results. After a complicated pregnancy, we ended up with a perfectly healthy daughter born at 38 weeks.
The billing staff were great at billing my insurance and coding the procedures as medical rather than infertility. Many of the appointments (except for the phone appointments) were covered, the ultrasounds were covered, the administration of the IVIG infusions were covered. We did the blood work remotely so it was covered by my insurance. I had to send vials of blood via overnight mail to RFU labs for specific tests twice a month. None of that was covered by my insurance, so it ended up being around $250 twice a month for those tests. Additionally, we ran into some issues with my insurance not wanting to cover the IVIG medication. At $3000 for 30 grams, that added up quickly. Laurie was great at helping me with appeals and we were successful at getting some it covered.
Describe Joanne Kwak-Kim's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Rosalind Franklin Univ.
Joanne Kwak-Kim