San Diego - Del Mar Main
590 Camino De La Reina
San Diego, CA 92108
44274 George Cushman Court
Temecula, CA 92592

Dr. Chuan is very knowledgeable and I trust her opinions.... I felt comfortable with the doctor and nurse Michelle. I just wish I saw dr chuan more often instead of just when we were going over any test results... Two medicated cycles and then two medicated cycles with IUI. After that she wanted to move on to IVF.... No follow up after any of the treatments to see how I was doing or if it resulted in a pregnancy.
Beautiful offices and in great locations [San Diego Fertility Center]. Everything was clean but sometimes receptionist and nurse communication was lacking..... The nurses were great too but the receptionist does not communicate well.... Wasn't called to let us know we were using my husband's fresh sperm and not his frozen sperm.... Two medicated cycles and then two medicated cycles with IUI. After that she wanted to move on to IVF.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan is very knowledgeable and I trust her opinions. The nurses were great too but the receptionist does not communicate well. I felt comfortable with the doctor and nurse Michelle. I just wish I saw dr chuan more often instead of just when we were going over any test results.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
She is amazing but ask her nurses for clarification when needed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Describe the protocols Sandy Chuan used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jen Hoffman)
Very monotone and not very personable. She was available though when I had questions.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Beautiful offices and in great locations. Everything was clean but sometimes receptionist and nurse communication was lacking.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center.
$700 per cycle after initial testing was completed.
Describe Sandy Chuan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
Not applicable. We haven't gotten to that point yet.
What specific things went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Our first Stim cycle my body did not respond to the meds in the way the dr had hoped. She [Dr Chuan] highly recommended we cancel the cycle and give my body a chance to heal and produce better results. She put me on a new protocol and always talked me through the process.
The staff [at San Diego Fertility Center] is always friendly, caring and they take the time to really explain things....Jenn is always available, friendly and always makes me feel comfortable in some not so comfortable situations.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Sandy is very caring and has always had our best interest in mind. She always explains what's going on and why. She leaves the decisions up to us but always gives us her honest feedback and advice. I trust her completely with our care.
Trust the process and the doctor!
The staff is always friendly, caring and they take the time to really explain things.
Our first Stim cycle my body did not respond to the meds in the way the dr had hoped. She highly reccommended we cancel the cycle and give my body a chance to heal and produce better results. She put me on a new protocol and always talked me through the process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman )
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Great staff! Awesome office! Fabulous doctor!

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Chuan was so supportive at every visit. She always took the time to answer the many questions that I had and to thoroughly explain each process to my husband and I. I really felt like she always had my best interest....I felt like the doctor, nurses and receptionists [at San Diego Fertility Center] knew my name, knew our struggles and genuinely wanted this baby for us. We were dealt with with love and compassion throughout our whole process.
Don't give up!
I felt like the doctor, nurses and receptionists knew my name, knew our struggles and genuinely wanted this baby for us. We were dealt with with love and compassion throughout our whole process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
She was very caring and kind. I feel like she wanted this baby so much for us.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
It was small, clean, organized and friendly
I believe our IUI were about $600 then we did them with injectables and it went to like $1100.
2013 - 2015, Successful
[Dr. Rakoff is] kind, good bedside manner, sometimes late but otherwise always understanding and willing to explain everything in as much detail as we asked...Be sure to always communicate what you want and what is important to you, in my experience if you do this the employees of SDFC [San Diego Fertility Center] will do everything possible to get it for you.
SDFC [San Diego Fertility Center] is expensive but I wouldn't go anywhere else. I feel the nurses and doctors truly care about me, my husband, and the family we desire...It's been two years since the IVF cycle where we conceived our son [and] every nurse and doctor remembered me.
How was your experience with Jeffrey Rakoff (Retired) at San Diego Fertility Center?
It's been two years since the ivf cycle where we conceived our son every nurse and doctor remembered me. Sdfc is expensive but I wouldn't go anywhere else. I feel the nurses and doctors truly care about me, my husband, and the family we desire.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey Rakoff (Retired) at San Diego Fertility Center?
Be sure to always communicate what you want and what is important to you, in my experience if you do this the employees of sdfc will do everything possible to get it for you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey Rakoff (Retired) at San Diego Fertility Center?
Kind, good bedside manner, sometimes late but otherwise always understanding and willing to explain everything in as much detail as we asked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Lilly)
They're great, kind, caring, and truly want you to suceed in finding your family
Jeffrey Rakoff (Retired)

2014, Successful
Dr. Chuan's bedside manner is one of clinical empathy. She is part scientific, part maternal. Being a nurse myself, this combination is imperative. She gave me all of the medical information I needed and should know, yet her delivery was that of a dear friend.
Myrna [a nurse at San Diego Fertility Center] is so organized & friendly! Jen was wonderful about giving us a detailed schedule about what was to come....Dr. Chuan treated my husband and I as if we were her only patients. She is warm and caring but also scientific and precise.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Don't give up hope in your quest to have children!
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jen)
Myrna is so organized & friendly! Jen was wonderful about giving us a detailed schedule about what was to come.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Gorgeous!!!! I felt zen just sitting in the waiting room. It's calm, beautiful and inviting.

2009 - 2014, Successful
Doctor would call and do my consults by phone since I had over a 2 hour drive to his office
It's normal once treatment starts that you no longer see the dr at each visit.... Which is fine because the staff are awesome and knowledgeable
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
He had great bedside manner. Seemed to genuinely care about helping us become parents.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
They always greeted me by my name when I walked in and we're all friendly. Doctor would call and do my consults by phone since I hD over a 2 hour drive to his office
Describe the protocols Michael Kettel used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Aggressive protocol due to being age 42. Used Bravelle and Menopure twice a day
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Annette)
She was efficient and had a great personality
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center.
We did a program they had where I could do two cycles using my own eggs then transfer to a guaranteed donor egg cycle. It seems like it ended up being approximately 50k
Michael Kettel
2014, Successful
We did 2 rounds of clomid and IUI.[with Dr. Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center]. After the second round I was pregnant with triplets!...She is a very caring person. She really wants to be able to give patients a baby and is very good about explaining every aspect of your treatment
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Go here first. Don't bother with anywhere else. It doesn't get better than this
She is very warm, friendly and easy to get along with.
We did 2 rounds of clomid and IUI. After the second round I was pregnant with triplets!
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer)
Fantstic
Clean, friendly, warm
Not sure

2019, Consult
[Dr.] Sandy Chuan is very knowledgeable about the field. She focuses a lot on IVF and really explained statistics to us and outcomes. She was very professional but at the same time because it was a free consult not a lot of time was spent on us...Have a list of questions ready to ask so that you don’t feel rushed and forget...It felt a bit rushed...Treatment protocol was to go straight to ivf...While she has a delicate approach it seemed like her main goal was to get to IVF since I have been trying so long. Nurse
Nurse staff [at San Diego Fertility Center] is great. They are very kind and are very available for questions when I had them. They make sure to call back same day and made us feel important...They don’t call with when results when they are considered normal or okay. For me this is a flaw because some of the test I looked at were alarming but that’s because I wasn’t explained to why they would show like that due to the cycle day the blood was drawn. It can send a client into panic mode when not explained or called about
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Sandy Chuan is very knowledgeable about the field. She focuses a lot on IVF and really explained statistics to us and outcomes. She was very professional but at the same time because it was a free consult not a lot of time was spent on us. It felt a bit rushed.
Have a list of questions ready to ask so that you don’t feel rushed and forget
I feel like it was in the middle. While she has a delicate approach it seemed like her main goal was to get to IVF since I have been trying so long.
Treatment protocol was to go straight to ivf. We however have not been able to proceed because it’s roughly 25k to do it and we just don’t have the finances right now.
Nurse staff is great. They are very kind and are very available for questions when I had them. They make sure to call back same day and made us feel important.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I think there should be some more communication with test results even if it’s good. Also answering the phone is a huge pet peeve of mine and sometimes it’s hard to get through. They are really good when you are in front of them and can answer questions very thoroughly.
Cost were really frustrating. For one single round it was roughly $12,500 which includes monitoring, add $850 for PGS testing. And roughly 10k for meds. Other option was 25k and you got 3 try’s. Plus meds and PGS testing
What specific things went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.
Temecula

Doctor [Dr. Michael Kettel] was not willing to adjust my protocol based on poor results. He had a one-size fits all approach, which does not work. He dismissed my concerns about aspects of the protocol, and referred to my aging eggs as the only cause. I am seeking IVF because of my age, and IVF is an inexact science. I expected him to be open to trying different approaches after getting poor results. He does not care if you succeed or fail - there is no empathy.
Strengths [at San Diego Fertility Center]: Excellent facility, feel like you wandered into a posh building. Does not feel like a medical center. Clinic was super organized with their billing, communication and treatment plans Weakness: Very expensive. One time bulk payment, does not charge anything to insurance. I was paying completely OOP, but other clinics charged a lot of my ongoing monitoring to my insurance...Clinic was very welcoming, always felt like a person.
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Doctor was not willing to adjust my protocol based on poor results. He had a one-size fits all approach, which does not work. He dismissed my concerns about aspects of the protocol, and referred to my aging eggs as the only cause. I am seeking IVF because of my age, and IVF is an inexact science. I expected him to be open to trying different approaches after getting poor results. He does not care if you succeed or fail - there is no empathy.
Do not expect any empathy or openness to trying different things.
Clinic was very welcoming, always felt like a person.
Antagonist and Lupron MicroFlare with BCP suppression.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Claudia)
Claudia and the rest of the nursing staff were organized, communicative and empathetic.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Strengths: Excellent facility, feel like you wandered into a posh building. Does not feel like a medical center. Clinic was super organized with their billing, communication and treatment plans Weakness: Very expensive. One time bulk payment, does not charge anything to insurance. I was paying completely OOP, but other clinics charged a lot of my ongoing monitoring to my insurance.
35,000 for 2 cycles
Describe Michael Kettel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
eSET only
Michael Kettel
Temecula

Before our first meeting, Dr. Chuan read through my entire medical file but before she provided any insights or thoughts, she had my husband and I both provide individual summaries about our multi-year journey to getting pregnant and the interventions and hurdles we can encountered. Immediately after, she provided ideas and thoughts that were tied directly back to not only the information she read but also the information we volunteered. This is important because every appointment I saw her for after that point, she always referred to specific information either from my file or from what we shared. I never felt like a number because she always tapped into the parts of me that were personal and human through the entire experience.
My treatment team [at San Diego Fertility Center] consisted of Monica and Jenn in the SDFC Temecula office. Jenn was my nurse and Monica was my Nurse Practitioner. I could not have made it through my fertility journey without them. They both were honest women that showed compassion while being direct...we did not qualify for the success guarantee package...when you are a patient and on a treatment plan, they will do EVERYTHING to accommodate you and your schedule within the constraints of their time windows for specific appointments. BEFORE you become a patient though, it can feel a little cold or business-like. What I mean by that is, as a new patient reaching out to a fertility team/office, I felt like my emotions were high and the most important thing was getting an appointment as soon as possible. When I called, it felt like I was just any other human calling and that they would fit me in when it was convenient. As soon as I became a patient and
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan is an incredible doctor that can present information to you that is honest and accurate but also kind at the same time. With fertility, sometimes it can feel really harsh hearing the cards you're dealt and I think Dr. Chuan walked the line of being upfront and honest with you but also knowing how to wrap the details with compassion and kindness. One thing I didn't realize going into it was that I would not see Dr. Chuan for every appointment. That didn't end up being a big deal for me since her staff was incredible and supportive BUT I know for some families, that is important and I think it should be shared if that is a concern for you as a patient.
I don't really have any. I don't think you need advice to see her. She was honest and factual with my husband and I and that was most important to me.
I don't remember the specifics BUT I do remember we skipped trying IUI with Dr. Chuan specifically. We had been working with a "natural" fertility specialist for the year leading up to deciding to go to Dr. Chuan. I had done exploratory surgeries and medications with the prior doctor that Dr. Chuan explained basically acted like IUI treatments even though they hadn't been presented that way. For that reason, Dr. Chuan recommended jumping into IVF because we had been unsuccessful thus far with the other interventions and essentially had unexplained infertility. I am dumbing this down a lot but we jumped in fast and I appreciated that because we had been trying for multiple years before that point and I was ready for answers and actions and that is what Dr. Chuan provided.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Monica)
My treatment team consisted of Monica and Jenn in the SDFC Temecula office. Jenn was my nurse and Monica was my Nurse Practitioner. I could not have made it through my fertility journey without them. They both were honest women that showed compassion while being direct. There are so many emotions when you are going through fertility and I can say having a staff that was consistently honest with me about my treatment and/or current state helped me keep my head straight and my feet on the ground and not let my imagination get the best of me. They were always available to answer questions or be the emotional support I needed when struggling through this journey. I cannot emphasize enough how important these two women were to my experience and success with this journey.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
This clinic's (Temecula - SDFC) strength is that when you are a patient and on a treatment plan, they will do EVERYTHING to accommodate you and your schedule within the constraints of their time windows for specific appointments. BEFORE you become a patient though, it can feel a little cold or business-like. What I mean by that is, as a new patient reaching out to a fertility team/office, I felt like my emotions were high and the most important thing was getting an appointment as soon as possible. When I called, it felt like I was just any other human calling and that they would fit me in when it was convenient. As soon as I became a patient and was developing relationships with the staff, it was literally like their arms opened up to me and I felt like I was taken care of constantly.
I don't remember the exact dollar amounts but we did not qualify for the success guarantee package which means that you pay a one time price for treatments (medication is never included in the cost-you pay that on your own) that I think was around $25k and you can have as many transfers as it takes to get a successful pregnancy. We ended up having to do a pay as we go program where we paid $15k which included a retrieval and transfer but since out first transfer didn't take we had to pay for a second one which I think was around $5k. Medications were probably between $6k-10k total for the retrieval and two transfers.
Dr. Chuan recommended single embryo transfer for us because of the rate of success and the fact that it is typically safer for both mom and baby. We had really wanted to do a multiple embryo transfer but we are not fertility specialists and are not well read on how the technology has changed. When she explained how much everything has improved and how much higher the chances are for implantation with a single embryo transfer, we followed her lead and guidance because we trusted her and it logically made sense.
Temecula

During our consult she [Dr. Sandy Chuan] was warm and shared stories of past experiences and was very easy to relate too. She was informative without speaking too technical...Very professional and knowledgeable...She went with the best program for me, not immediately to IVF...I was initially told to try IUI first as I've never tried to conceive. I had a HSG performed along with genetic testing to make it easier to find a sperm donor who wouldn't share a genetic abnormality. I had donor sperm shipped to main facility and it was ready for use for insemination. I did one normal unassisted cycle but ovulated prematurely. For my next cycle I used Clomid to increase the odds of healthy follicles. After the second cycle I had a positive pregnancy result.
I had a HSG performed [at San Diego Fertility Center] along with genetic testing to make it easier to find a sperm donor who wouldn't share a genetic abnormality. I had donor sperm shipped to main facility and it was ready for use for insemination. I did one normal unassisted cycle but ovulated prematurely...After the second cycle I had a positive pregnancy result...Both [nurses] were very supportive and remembered our names when we came into the office.... For my HSG it was between $100-175. I had my lab work done for free. For my first cycle it was $700, it was cancelled before insemination. For the next cycle it was $250 and was fully completed. I paid $80 for the Clomid and trigger shot, as it was partially covered by insurance. I also paid for genetic testing of my blood which was $250.00.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Very professional and knowledgeable. The staff in her office was the best. Her NP, Monica, and the other assistants, both Jenns included made me and my spouse feel very welcomed. I would recommend her to anyone who is trying to conceive. She went with the best program for me, not immediately to IVF.
Be patient of any setbacks and stay positive! She has your best interest at heart.
During our consult she was warm and shared stories of past experiences and was very easy to relate too. She was informative without speaking too technical
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Monica (NP) and Jenn Hoffman)
Both were very supportive and remembered our names when we came into the office. Their focus was the same as ours and I felt they genuinely cared.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Easy location to find, clean and new building. Weakness is that is closed the weekends so you have to travel to another office for appointments. There is also no financial counseling on site. Other than those couple of things, the office is big and has an ample amount of rooms to see its patients. The waiting room is well set up as well.
I paid out of pocket for my expenses. For my HSG it was between $100-175. I had my lab work done for free. For my first cycle it was $700, it was cancelled before insemination. For the next cycle it was $250 and was fully completed. I paid $80 for the Clomid and trigger shot, as it was partially covered by insurance. I also paid for genetic testing of my blood which was $250.00.
2018 - 2020, Successful
We did 3 egg retrieval cycles [with Dr. Sandy Chuan] following standard protocol as I understood it. I also had a polyp removed before my 1st embryo transfer. Dr. Chuan has a high standard of the markers she wants to see through each cycle. I trusted that any decisions she made had my best intentions in mind...Our appointments with Dr. Chuan were always full of positive energy. I could tell she really cared and wanted to help us...was knowledgeable and caring. I felt that we were in the best hands possible. We had a lot of decisions along the way and she was great at communicating all sides of the story so we could make the right decision for us. We never felt rushed or pushed.
[San Diego Fertility Center is] Clean, professional, everything you would want it to be. Great staff, prompt on appointments. Surgery center is great too. Had positive experiences at all my procedures. Great communication from embryology team...We did 3 egg retrieval cycles following standard protocol as I understood it. I also had a polyp removed before my 1st embryo transfer...They [nurses] were all amazing. I felt like this process was as important to them as it was to us.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan was knowledgeable and caring. I felt that we were in the best hands possible. We had a lot of decisions along the way and she was great at communicating all sides of the story so we could make the right decision for us. We never felt rushed or pushed.
This is the doctor you want on your fertility journey. She's simply the best!
We did 3 egg retrieval cycles following standard protocol as I understood it. I also had a polyp removed before my 1st embryo transfer. Dr. Chuan has a high standard of the markers she wants to see through each cycle. I trusted that any decisions she made had my best intentions in mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman and Monica Torres)
They were all amazing. I felt like this process was as important to them as it was to us.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I don't recall the specific numbers. It is an investment but you are investing with the best team.
She preferred to start with 1 unless we wanted more. We agreed with her. With our limited amount of embryos, we wanted to be frugal with using a lot at once.

2016 - 2019, Successful
She [Dr. Sandy Chaun] always remembered our story, our names, and was incredibly comforting and empathetic after our first IVF baby was stillborn. She always had hope for us...We loved every chance we got to see and interact with Dr. Chuan. She was so empathetic, comforting, and calm with myself and my husband regarding our diagnosis and treatment (including the loss of our first daughter when she was stillborn). I loved her informative and truthful but compassionate manner. I highly recommend her & the entire clinic whenever anyone asks!
I loved my entire experience at SDFC. They are great at being open and honest, great communicators, compassionate, and helpful along a tough journey for any hopeful parents-to-be. I think they are wonderful in every area I came accross - from in office appts to surgery center...Jenn [nurse] was just as incredible as Dr. Chuan and always made me feel important and cared for. I would be so sad when she wasn't in office!
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
To be understanding that she has a lot of patients who need her time, but that her assistant and office are wonderful as she is.
She always remembered our story, our names, and was incredibly comforting and empathetic after our first IVF baby was stillborn. She always had hope for us.
We had 4 embryo transfers and out of all 4, three resulted in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman)
Jenn was just as incredible as Dr. Chuan and always made me feel important and cared for. I would be so sad when she wasn't in office!
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I believe my cost for a "success guarantee" cycle was $17,000.