San Diego - Del Mar Main
590 Camino De La Reina
San Diego, CA 92108
44274 George Cushman Court
Temecula, CA 92592

[Dr.] Sandy Chuan is very knowledgeable about the field. She focuses a lot on IVF and really explained statistics to us and outcomes. She was very professional but at the same time because it was a free consult not a lot of time was spent on us...Have a list of questions ready to ask so that you don’t feel rushed and forget...It felt a bit rushed...Treatment protocol was to go straight to ivf...While she has a delicate approach it seemed like her main goal was to get to IVF since I have been trying so long. Nurse
Nurse staff [at San Diego Fertility Center] is great. They are very kind and are very available for questions when I had them. They make sure to call back same day and made us feel important...They don’t call with when results when they are considered normal or okay. For me this is a flaw because some of the test I looked at were alarming but that’s because I wasn’t explained to why they would show like that due to the cycle day the blood was drawn. It can send a client into panic mode when not explained or called about
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Sandy Chuan is very knowledgeable about the field. She focuses a lot on IVF and really explained statistics to us and outcomes. She was very professional but at the same time because it was a free consult not a lot of time was spent on us. It felt a bit rushed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Have a list of questions ready to ask so that you don’t feel rushed and forget
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
I feel like it was in the middle. While she has a delicate approach it seemed like her main goal was to get to IVF since I have been trying so long.
Describe the protocols Sandy Chuan used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Treatment protocol was to go straight to ivf. We however have not been able to proceed because it’s roughly 25k to do it and we just don’t have the finances right now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
Nurse staff is great. They are very kind and are very available for questions when I had them. They make sure to call back same day and made us feel important.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I think there should be some more communication with test results even if it’s good. Also answering the phone is a huge pet peeve of mine and sometimes it’s hard to get through. They are really good when you are in front of them and can answer questions very thoroughly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center.
Cost were really frustrating. For one single round it was roughly $12,500 which includes monitoring, add $850 for PGS testing. And roughly 10k for meds. Other option was 25k and you got 3 try’s. Plus meds and PGS testing
What specific things went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at San Diego Fertility Center.
Temecula

Doctor [Dr. Michael Kettel] was not willing to adjust my protocol based on poor results. He had a one-size fits all approach, which does not work. He dismissed my concerns about aspects of the protocol, and referred to my aging eggs as the only cause. I am seeking IVF because of my age, and IVF is an inexact science. I expected him to be open to trying different approaches after getting poor results. He does not care if you succeed or fail - there is no empathy.
Strengths [at San Diego Fertility Center]: Excellent facility, feel like you wandered into a posh building. Does not feel like a medical center. Clinic was super organized with their billing, communication and treatment plans Weakness: Very expensive. One time bulk payment, does not charge anything to insurance. I was paying completely OOP, but other clinics charged a lot of my ongoing monitoring to my insurance...Clinic was very welcoming, always felt like a person.
How was your experience with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Doctor was not willing to adjust my protocol based on poor results. He had a one-size fits all approach, which does not work. He dismissed my concerns about aspects of the protocol, and referred to my aging eggs as the only cause. I am seeking IVF because of my age, and IVF is an inexact science. I expected him to be open to trying different approaches after getting poor results. He does not care if you succeed or fail - there is no empathy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Do not expect any empathy or openness to trying different things.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center?
Clinic was very welcoming, always felt like a person.
Describe the protocols Michael Kettel used in your cycles at San Diego Fertility Center and their degree of success.
Antagonist and Lupron MicroFlare with BCP suppression.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Claudia)
Claudia and the rest of the nursing staff were organized, communicative and empathetic.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Strengths: Excellent facility, feel like you wandered into a posh building. Does not feel like a medical center. Clinic was super organized with their billing, communication and treatment plans Weakness: Very expensive. One time bulk payment, does not charge anything to insurance. I was paying completely OOP, but other clinics charged a lot of my ongoing monitoring to my insurance.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Kettel at San Diego Fertility Center.
35,000 for 2 cycles
Describe Michael Kettel's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
eSET only
Michael Kettel
Temecula
Before our first meeting, Dr. Chuan read through my entire medical file but before she provided any insights or thoughts, she had my husband and I both provide individual summaries about our multi-year journey to getting pregnant and the interventions and hurdles we can encountered. Immediately after, she provided ideas and thoughts that were tied directly back to not only the information she read but also the information we volunteered. This is important because every appointment I saw her for after that point, she always referred to specific information either from my file or from what we shared. I never felt like a number because she always tapped into the parts of me that were personal and human through the entire experience.
My treatment team [at San Diego Fertility Center] consisted of Monica and Jenn in the SDFC Temecula office. Jenn was my nurse and Monica was my Nurse Practitioner. I could not have made it through my fertility journey without them. They both were honest women that showed compassion while being direct...we did not qualify for the success guarantee package...when you are a patient and on a treatment plan, they will do EVERYTHING to accommodate you and your schedule within the constraints of their time windows for specific appointments. BEFORE you become a patient though, it can feel a little cold or business-like. What I mean by that is, as a new patient reaching out to a fertility team/office, I felt like my emotions were high and the most important thing was getting an appointment as soon as possible. When I called, it felt like I was just any other human calling and that they would fit me in when it was convenient. As soon as I became a patient and
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan is an incredible doctor that can present information to you that is honest and accurate but also kind at the same time. With fertility, sometimes it can feel really harsh hearing the cards you're dealt and I think Dr. Chuan walked the line of being upfront and honest with you but also knowing how to wrap the details with compassion and kindness. One thing I didn't realize going into it was that I would not see Dr. Chuan for every appointment. That didn't end up being a big deal for me since her staff was incredible and supportive BUT I know for some families, that is important and I think it should be shared if that is a concern for you as a patient.
I don't really have any. I don't think you need advice to see her. She was honest and factual with my husband and I and that was most important to me.
I don't remember the specifics BUT I do remember we skipped trying IUI with Dr. Chuan specifically. We had been working with a "natural" fertility specialist for the year leading up to deciding to go to Dr. Chuan. I had done exploratory surgeries and medications with the prior doctor that Dr. Chuan explained basically acted like IUI treatments even though they hadn't been presented that way. For that reason, Dr. Chuan recommended jumping into IVF because we had been unsuccessful thus far with the other interventions and essentially had unexplained infertility. I am dumbing this down a lot but we jumped in fast and I appreciated that because we had been trying for multiple years before that point and I was ready for answers and actions and that is what Dr. Chuan provided.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Monica)
My treatment team consisted of Monica and Jenn in the SDFC Temecula office. Jenn was my nurse and Monica was my Nurse Practitioner. I could not have made it through my fertility journey without them. They both were honest women that showed compassion while being direct. There are so many emotions when you are going through fertility and I can say having a staff that was consistently honest with me about my treatment and/or current state helped me keep my head straight and my feet on the ground and not let my imagination get the best of me. They were always available to answer questions or be the emotional support I needed when struggling through this journey. I cannot emphasize enough how important these two women were to my experience and success with this journey.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
This clinic's (Temecula - SDFC) strength is that when you are a patient and on a treatment plan, they will do EVERYTHING to accommodate you and your schedule within the constraints of their time windows for specific appointments. BEFORE you become a patient though, it can feel a little cold or business-like. What I mean by that is, as a new patient reaching out to a fertility team/office, I felt like my emotions were high and the most important thing was getting an appointment as soon as possible. When I called, it felt like I was just any other human calling and that they would fit me in when it was convenient. As soon as I became a patient and was developing relationships with the staff, it was literally like their arms opened up to me and I felt like I was taken care of constantly.
I don't remember the exact dollar amounts but we did not qualify for the success guarantee package which means that you pay a one time price for treatments (medication is never included in the cost-you pay that on your own) that I think was around $25k and you can have as many transfers as it takes to get a successful pregnancy. We ended up having to do a pay as we go program where we paid $15k which included a retrieval and transfer but since out first transfer didn't take we had to pay for a second one which I think was around $5k. Medications were probably between $6k-10k total for the retrieval and two transfers.
Describe Sandy Chuan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at San Diego Fertility Center.
Dr. Chuan recommended single embryo transfer for us because of the rate of success and the fact that it is typically safer for both mom and baby. We had really wanted to do a multiple embryo transfer but we are not fertility specialists and are not well read on how the technology has changed. When she explained how much everything has improved and how much higher the chances are for implantation with a single embryo transfer, we followed her lead and guidance because we trusted her and it logically made sense.
Treated 2019 - 2020
During our consult she [Dr. Sandy Chuan] was warm and shared stories of past experiences and was very easy to relate too. She was informative without speaking too technical...Very professional and knowledgeable...She went with the best program for me, not immediately to IVF...I was initially told to try IUI first as I've never tried to conceive. I had a HSG performed along with genetic testing to make it easier to find a sperm donor who wouldn't share a genetic abnormality. I had donor sperm shipped to main facility and it was ready for use for insemination. I did one normal unassisted cycle but ovulated prematurely. For my next cycle I used Clomid to increase the odds of healthy follicles. After the second cycle I had a positive pregnancy result.
I had a HSG performed [at San Diego Fertility Center] along with genetic testing to make it easier to find a sperm donor who wouldn't share a genetic abnormality. I had donor sperm shipped to main facility and it was ready for use for insemination. I did one normal unassisted cycle but ovulated prematurely...After the second cycle I had a positive pregnancy result...Both [nurses] were very supportive and remembered our names when we came into the office.... For my HSG it was between $100-175. I had my lab work done for free. For my first cycle it was $700, it was cancelled before insemination. For the next cycle it was $250 and was fully completed. I paid $80 for the Clomid and trigger shot, as it was partially covered by insurance. I also paid for genetic testing of my blood which was $250.00.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Very professional and knowledgeable. The staff in her office was the best. Her NP, Monica, and the other assistants, both Jenns included made me and my spouse feel very welcomed. I would recommend her to anyone who is trying to conceive. She went with the best program for me, not immediately to IVF.
Be patient of any setbacks and stay positive! She has your best interest at heart.
During our consult she was warm and shared stories of past experiences and was very easy to relate too. She was informative without speaking too technical
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Monica (NP) and Jenn Hoffman)
Both were very supportive and remembered our names when we came into the office. Their focus was the same as ours and I felt they genuinely cared.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
Easy location to find, clean and new building. Weakness is that is closed the weekends so you have to travel to another office for appointments. There is also no financial counseling on site. Other than those couple of things, the office is big and has an ample amount of rooms to see its patients. The waiting room is well set up as well.
I paid out of pocket for my expenses. For my HSG it was between $100-175. I had my lab work done for free. For my first cycle it was $700, it was cancelled before insemination. For the next cycle it was $250 and was fully completed. I paid $80 for the Clomid and trigger shot, as it was partially covered by insurance. I also paid for genetic testing of my blood which was $250.00.
Treated 2018 - 2020
We did 3 egg retrieval cycles [with Dr. Sandy Chuan] following standard protocol as I understood it. I also had a polyp removed before my 1st embryo transfer. Dr. Chuan has a high standard of the markers she wants to see through each cycle. I trusted that any decisions she made had my best intentions in mind...Our appointments with Dr. Chuan were always full of positive energy. I could tell she really cared and wanted to help us...was knowledgeable and caring. I felt that we were in the best hands possible. We had a lot of decisions along the way and she was great at communicating all sides of the story so we could make the right decision for us. We never felt rushed or pushed.
[San Diego Fertility Center is] Clean, professional, everything you would want it to be. Great staff, prompt on appointments. Surgery center is great too. Had positive experiences at all my procedures. Great communication from embryology team...We did 3 egg retrieval cycles following standard protocol as I understood it. I also had a polyp removed before my 1st embryo transfer...They [nurses] were all amazing. I felt like this process was as important to them as it was to us.
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
Dr. Chuan was knowledgeable and caring. I felt that we were in the best hands possible. We had a lot of decisions along the way and she was great at communicating all sides of the story so we could make the right decision for us. We never felt rushed or pushed.
This is the doctor you want on your fertility journey. She's simply the best!
We did 3 egg retrieval cycles following standard protocol as I understood it. I also had a polyp removed before my 1st embryo transfer. Dr. Chuan has a high standard of the markers she wants to see through each cycle. I trusted that any decisions she made had my best intentions in mind.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman and Monica Torres)
They were all amazing. I felt like this process was as important to them as it was to us.
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I don't recall the specific numbers. It is an investment but you are investing with the best team.
She preferred to start with 1 unless we wanted more. We agreed with her. With our limited amount of embryos, we wanted to be frugal with using a lot at once.

Treated 2016 - 2019
She [Dr. Sandy Chaun] always remembered our story, our names, and was incredibly comforting and empathetic after our first IVF baby was stillborn. She always had hope for us...We loved every chance we got to see and interact with Dr. Chuan. She was so empathetic, comforting, and calm with myself and my husband regarding our diagnosis and treatment (including the loss of our first daughter when she was stillborn). I loved her informative and truthful but compassionate manner. I highly recommend her & the entire clinic whenever anyone asks!
I loved my entire experience at SDFC. They are great at being open and honest, great communicators, compassionate, and helpful along a tough journey for any hopeful parents-to-be. I think they are wonderful in every area I came accross - from in office appts to surgery center...Jenn [nurse] was just as incredible as Dr. Chuan and always made me feel important and cared for. I would be so sad when she wasn't in office!
How was your experience with Sandy Chuan at San Diego Fertility Center?
To be understanding that she has a lot of patients who need her time, but that her assistant and office are wonderful as she is.
She always remembered our story, our names, and was incredibly comforting and empathetic after our first IVF baby was stillborn. She always had hope for us.
We had 4 embryo transfers and out of all 4, three resulted in a pregnancy.
Describe your experience with your nurse at San Diego Fertility Center. (Assigned nurse: Jenn Hoffman)
Jenn was just as incredible as Dr. Chuan and always made me feel important and cared for. I would be so sad when she wasn't in office!
Describe your experience with San Diego Fertility Center.
I believe my cost for a "success guarantee" cycle was $17,000.