7.3
7.3

1500 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105

Tiffany [Dr. Von Wald] is very smart, but doesn't break things down well for non medical people. She doesn't have the absolute warmest bedside manner. I struggled to feel as though she was as invested in my journey as I was. Though maybe not intentional I always felt like a number. My husband and I have seen Tiffany in clinic (over the year we have undergone treatment) twice (once because I semi demanded to)... it gets frustrating always seeing NPs and hearing back from nurses.
I had really horrible experinces with the US techs and a couple nurses [at Sanford Fertility]. One nurse in particular, Mandy, is so terrible. Through my miscarriages/ectopic she was very demeaning, cold and belittled my concerns. She treated me as if I was an annoyance. She didn't acknowledge my pregnancies as such because I was so early (4-5 wks). She never gave me time to ask questions on the phone. She would reply to my messages to Dr. VonWald without even consulting her. US techs are cold. They very casually tell me they see nothing in my uterus when I had be trialing for weeks with positive preg tests and fluctauing hcg levels... that is sensitive info to divulge so carelessly to which I sobbed with no compassion on their part.
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Tiffany is very smart, but doesn't break things down well for non medical people. She doesn't have the absolute warmest bedside manner. I struggled to feel as though she was as invested in my journey as I was. Though maybe not intentional I always felt like a number. My husband and I have seen Tiffany in clinic (over the year we have undergone treatment) twice (once because I semi demanded to)... it gets frustrating always seeing NPs and hearing back from nurses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Be a self advocate. Do not be afraid to ask questions/seek clarification (not matter how annoying you think you are being) and demand good service and communication.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Tiffany is smart and kind, but we have only met with her twice in tje year we have been there. The rest of the staff is very rude (Mandy, RN), cold and demeaning (with the exception of Shanna Kontz--she is great). I never felt like anyone does any extra digging to uncover my specific cycle trends, ovulation, hormone patterns, etc. I also feel as though I have to advocate for myself/husband a lot because they are terrible at keeping you updated and addressing questions.
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Clomid or letrazole day 3 through 7. Menopur day 9. US and trigger shot. IUI day after.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I had really horrible experinces with the US techs and a couple nurses. One nurse in particular, Mandy, is so terrible. Through my miscarriages/ectopic she was very demeaning, cold and belittled my concerns. She treated me as if I was an annoyance. She didn't acknowledge my pregnancies as such because I was so early (4-5 wks). She never gave me time to ask questions on the phone. She would reply to my messages to Dr. VonWald without even consulting her. US techs are cold. They very casually tell me they see nothing in my uterus when I had be trialing for weeks with positive preg tests and fluctauing hcg levels... that is sensitive info to divulge so carelessly to which I sobbed with no compassion on their part.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They are pretty flexible at getting you in for US and testing. They were not very timely with results, appt times, etc... Also, several times O was waiting on the waiting room there were children. I know it is maybe not realistic, but man would it be nice to not have to stare at a child when you are about to find out you miscarried.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance on covered some diagnostic testing. So all genetic testing, intra cycle ultrasounds, medication (oral and injectables), copays for each an every visit and all ART procedures were out of pocket. The have a finance guy, Tyler, who was EXTREMELY unhelpful. I am still not exactly sure what his job is as he didn't help us with understand our insirance coverage or working with our insurance.
Tiffany Von Wald

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
I loved how honest Dr. HANSEN was. He took time to explain what was and going to happen. Even if he didn't know an answer he tried to find an answer. He made me safe and with 3 surgeries done with him not including the fallopian test and multiple ultrasounds. He always stayed up beat and positive which kept my spirits up.... We did a lower dose IVF with one ovary and PCOs he did not want to over stimulate. No birth control was used. It yeilded 7 eggs. 5 embroyos, 2 transferred and the remaining died before freezing. It was a negative pregnancy test.
The clinic [Sanford Fertility] is very friendly, efficient, and easy to work with. A few things that I would say our the weaknesses were they don't always read the charts before meeting with the patient. I had to multiple times remind them of my history and remind them of the protocol that we were using.... We paid for 1 round of IVF with ICSI, all of the testing, monitoring, and medication and it was around $23,000.... I got frustrated that I had to keep correcting my protocol with them or the fact that I only have 1 ovary.
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It's ok to ask questions. He will answer them and make sure you are comfortable.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
He took time to listen to my concerns and answer my questions without it seeming like a chore.
Describe the protocols Keith Hansen used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The clinic is very friendly, efficient, and easy to work with. A few things that I would say our the weaknesses were they don't always read the charts before meeting with the patient. I had to multiple times remind them of my history and remind them of the protocol that we were using.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Keith Hansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
They would at most transfer 2 for my age.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I only have one ovary and one Fallopian tube multiple times during the medication protocol I would have to remind them of this and that I get extreme cysts so I would also have remind them of protocol. Multiple times i would receive a sheet with the wrong protocol on it with the wrong changes. It was very confusing and frustrating.
Keith Hansen
Sioux Falls

It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed....I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff [at Sanford] to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least...The clinic is pushing through a lot of patients and this seems to lead to staff not really knowing your case very well from one appointment to the next...The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next.
I was happy with my meetings with Dr. Von Wald but recognized that she is extremely busy and that she probably wasn't as involved with my course of treatment as I would have liked. I chose her, not the NPs, but unfortunately I usually dealt with the NPs. She also had very little to offer me in the way of treatment and explanation of recurrent pregnancy loss. I don't think this is her specialty. Although she is busy, she never rushed me through my discussions with her and welcomed most of my questions. She was somewhat dismissive of a couple of concerns I had, such as about MTHFR. But ultimately she agreed to test me for it.
Know that she is extremely smart and you can trust her, but that you may not be able to deal with her as often as you expect. And you will need to push back if you are doubting the advice you get from Angie or Shanna, and request that they confirm with Dr. Von Wald.
It is very difficult to actually get Dr. Von Wald's advice or recommendation. The clinic's default is to have a CNP make treatment decisions. And I often felt as though my treatment plan was forgotten from one appointment to the next. However, I did appreciate a call on a Saturday from Dr. Von Wald changing the course of treatment from what the CNP had directed. She was only reviewing my plan because I had an appointment booked with her for the following week. So I learned that it was very important to be proactive and demand meetings with her.
She prescribed Letrozole at the lowest dose for the first cycle without results. So in the second cycle she doubled the dose and added a trigger shot. This did not lead to pregnancy. In the third cycle, she took the same approach to the Letrozole but recommended an earlier ultrasound and subsequent trigger shot. This protocol resulted in pregnancy but ended shortly thereafter as a chemical pregnancy.
Sometimes I found the nursing staff to be uninformed and not instill very much confidence. At other times I found them helpful - but they are usually very responsive at least. I just had to push back to make sure they'd checked with Dr. Von Wald when they provided advice.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I paid for the medications, visits, and procedures and the clinic ran everything through insurance.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I was scheduled for a uterine biopsy after my third pregnancy loss and was not given any of the standard advice about taking pain medication before the procedure. I was told by a friend that I should take it but it was too late so I called to ask why I wasn't given the information. I took the medication and moved my procedure back so it could take effect but the receptionist didn't understand why I would need to do that. I expected more awareness by the staff about the procedures they regularly offer.
Tiffany Von Wald
2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Keith Hansen] was direct and easy to understand. He was also motivated toward success. But he didn't listen to what we wanted and he refused to dig deeper and seek a solution that didn't include IVF. In Sioux Falls you can't get IUI anywhere else ananywhere else and it felt like he knew he had the power to dictate our treatment plan.... He wouldn't sign off on a medicated cycle or IUI. He wouldn't let us try anything except IVF, even though our test results are very controversial as to their conclusivness. We also told him we aren't comfortable with IVF and ignored that.
It's [Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Med] the only option here. It's a nice clinic and the staff is kind, and I know the associated hospital is top quality, but there doesn't feel like much choice involved. A little competition migbt increase their customer service. Dr. Hansen is the biggest weakness, he had a myopic approach.... We were upfront about not wanting IVF and I mentioned if we were ever to change our mind I wouldn't want to have excess embryos on hand or have a quad pregnancy. He very matter of factly stated to make the procedure cost effective for couples like us, large egg retrevials and multiple embryo transfers were necessary to avoid the cost of multiple procedures and to increase success rates. He didn't care about our comfort or morality, just cost.
He was direct and easy to understand. He was also motivated toward success. But he didn't listen to what we wanted and he refused to dig deeper and seek a solution that didn't include IVF. In Sioux Falls you can't get IUI anywhere else ananywhere else and it felt like he knew he had the power to dictate our treatment plan.
If you have limits see Van Wold instead. Always plan for IVF to be a part of his plan of action.
We were very upfront about our limits and what were wanted to avoid. He pushed right through those. He was only willing to try IVF, he had no other suggestions or options for us. He wouldn't consider and alternate route.
We didn't get to move forward with treatment. He wouldn't sign off on a medicated cycle or IUI. He wouldn't let us try anything except IVF, even though our test results are very controversial as to their conclusivness. We also told him we aren't comfortable with IVF and ignored that.
They were kind and efficient.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
It's the only option here. It's a nice clinic and the staff is kind, and I know the associated hospital is top quality, but there doesn't feel like much choice involved. A little competition migbt increase their customer service. Dr. Hansen is the biggest weakness, he had a myopic approach.
I don't remember. A couple hundred dollars I think. Billing was pretty easy, the sperm analysis billing was weird. If you paid right away you got a huge discount but I didn't pay Sanford, it was a 3rd party.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
I just felt unheard and thrown out. We were told IVF was our only chance at ever conceiving. After we said we didnt want IVF.
Keith Hansen
Sioux Falls

[Dr. Dahl] Was unreasonably optimistic and quoted statistics that were incorrect. Explained risks of treatments and was empathetic. Didn’t have good continuity of care due to clinic set up, which made it difficult to develop rapport with individual providers.... One doctor at the clinic [Sanford Fertility and Repro Med] didn’t stop a medication after I reported a major adverse effect. A second doctor did stop the medication. Clinic charged me for services I didn’t have. Clinic failed to send all of my records to another clinic.
I was billed for over $1000 of services that I didn’t receive. The clinic never apologized but after I challenged this, they did refund the money. I never felt that any of the doctors understood my case or took the lead in developing a treatment protocol because I would often see a different doctor from visit to visit. This clinic missed an important that a consult with another clinic picked up on at the first consult. I wonder if the treatments at Sanford didn’t work because they didn’t have the correct diagnosis.
How was your experience with Stephanie Dahl at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Dahl at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Check your bill carefully to determine if you have had the services you are being billed for.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Dahl at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Was rude when needed to call on call. Respectful and personable in clinic.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Dahl used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Clomid, has hyperstimulation with it, cycle was cancelled
Nursing staff were generally prompt in replies to messages. One nurse was somewhat rude when rooming me.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
One doctor at the clinic didn’t stop a medication after I reported a major adverse effect. A second doctor did stop the medication. Clinic charged me for services I didn’t have. Clinic failed to send all of my records to another clinic.
Stephanie Dahl
Sioux Falls
[Dr. Cain] seemed nice, but there was an instance when I messaged her through my message portal online, and she replied back with something that didn't make any sense. I later found out she had mistaken me for another patient. I was not happy, and that is when I chose to see another doctor...I was diagnosed with POF (premature ovarian failure), so I was told that doing a medicated cycle would not be helpful. Dr. Kain monitored me for follicle development and we did timed intercourse. No results to speak of. I had very poor follicle development.
[Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] Seems like a nice place. Very rarely did I see other people in the waiting room. And they have a no child policy which I was grateful for. I know some clinics allow children, and I'm glad this one didn't. The offices where they take you to discuss things were nice and inviting...felt they spent enough time with me to answer questions...I was diagnosed with POF (premature ovarian failure), so I was told that doing a medicated cycle would not be helpful. Dr. Kain monitored me for follicle development and we did timed intercourse. No results to speak of. I had very poor follicle development.
How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Kain seemed nice, but there was an instance when I messaged her through my message portal online, and she replied back with something that didn't make any sense. I later found out she had mistaken me for another patient. I was not happy, and that is when I chose to see another doctor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure she knows what patient she is talking to
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
It was a small clinic and felt they spent enough time with me to answer questions
Describe the protocols Kristen Cain used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
They were nice and understanding.
Kristen Cain