7.3
7.3

1500 W 22nd Street
Sioux Falls, SD 57105

2012 - 2019, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Von Wald] took her time to explain everything, never made us feel rushed and answered all of our questions...did a lot of research & called her colleagues from different out of state hospitals to review our records and offer advice. She then met with us for over an hour going over everything. Although it didn’t work out we appreciate all the time she put into us trying to be successful. After 8 years of trying she treated us more like family then a patient.
They [nurses at Sanford Fertility] are amazing. They have so many patients and know my information without having to look it up. So compassionate, great advice and always there to listen...Stacy at the front desk is amazing. she will make you feel so comfortable and invited into a place where you are so confused and nervous...Frozen embryo transfer (with out meds) was around 4500$. (That’s if no additional tests/ultrasounds were needed) Retrieval with PGS testing 22-27000. With Meds.
How was your experience with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr VonWald did a lot of research & called her colleagues from different out of state hospitals to review our records and offer advice. She then met with us for over an hour going over everything. Although it didn’t work out we appreciate all the time she put into us trying to be successful. After 8 years of trying she treated us more like family then a patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Ask questions - she’s there to answer them
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
She took her time to explain everything, never made us feel rushed and answered all of our questions.
Describe the protocols Tiffany Von Wald used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
Our last protocol was depot Lupron x3 months- Daily meds included- myo-inositol, cinnamon, coq10, metformin, baby aspirin, Then 2mg estrogen orally TID to thicken lining. Prior to transfer doxycycline daily x3 days and start progesterone oil 1.5ml daily. After transfer cont progesterone, daily meds listed above, and then start lovenox daily and bid prednisone. She was treating for everything- inflammation, blood clotting, pcos and endometriosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy or Katie)
They are amazing. They have so many patients and know my information without having to look it up. So compassionate, great advice and always there to listen
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Come prepared to ask questions. Book your Ultrasounds out in advance if you need a certain time. If your flexible then don’t worry. Stacy at the front desk is amazing. she will make you feel so comfortable and invited into a place where you are so confused and nervous.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Tiffany Von Wald at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Tiffany Von Wald's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our embryos were PGS tested so they recommended one at a time but were ok if we wanted to do two.
Tiffany Von Wald
Sioux Falls

Dr. Cain was very pleasant and always answered our questions as they arose....She’s a very pleasant doctor and always answered questions in a manner that was helpful and informative. I just feel like we’ve been forgotten since our last visit. We almost always had to recount who we were and what we’d done in the past at every visit.... To date I’ve had a lot of bloodwork, a saline sonogram, a uterine polyp removal, and several visits. My husband has had two semen analyses. That’s about it
I feel they [Sanford Repro Med] could be more aggressive with treatment, forthcoming with information and communication, and clear with clients.... Insurance paid for most of our appointments but not her office visit fees ($250ish). Our insurance does not pay for IVF...which we were quoted around $20,000.... I had a bout with pneumonia and was scheduled for a uterine polyp removal surgery. Unfortunately, the night before the surgery was cancelled by the anesthetist due to the recent pneumonia diagnosis (which I was healed from at the time).
How was your experience with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Keep in touch with clients more. This is a difficult road and feeling forgotten doesn’t make us too eager to come back.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Dr. Cain was very pleasant and always answered our questions as they arose. I feel she/her office could have reached out to us more though. We were last there in October 2017 and haven’t heard from them since. I feel like once we were presented with IVF being our only option and we needed time to secure funding they completely forgot about us.
Describe the protocols Kristen Cain used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We have yet to start working with a lot of medications. To date I’ve had a lot of bloodwork, a saline sonogram, a uterine polyp removal, and several visits. My husband has had two semen analyses. That’s about it
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Always friendly and helpful.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I feel they could be more aggressive with treatment, forthcoming with information and communication, and clear with clients. They did a good job with diagnosing but I feel we’re no further today than we were 15-months ago.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kristen Cain at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Describe Kristen Cain's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We only ever spoke with a financial counselor about this...not Dr. Cain.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
I had a bout with pneumonia and was scheduled for a uterine polyp removal surgery. Unfortunately, the night before the surgery was cancelled by the anesthetist due to the recent pneumonia diagnosis (which I was healed from at the time). I understand the why, but I wish I hadn’t had to take time off work and schedule a family member to come help me on a day that wasn’t needed. It was a lot of runaround that could have been avoided with proper information.
Kristen Cain
2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
We did 4 rounds of IUI [with Dr. Keith Hansen]. The first, we took no medication. The following, my wife took Chlomid and then also a trigger shot. By rounds 3-4 we were still doing chlomid but changed to a double trigger as one of the cycles resulted in early ovulation and a delayed period by about 2 weeks... Dr. Hansen was empathetic and even made us laugh to ease the tension.
The front desk lady [at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Med], Stacy is awesome!! She remembers who you are even if several months have passed and is super fun to talk to. One thing I would change is making sure that there is 1 nurse or 1 doctor providing a patient information. It was frustrating when we would be told different things by different doctors/nurses.
How was your experience with Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
When we started fertility treatments, we did not know what to expect and unfortunately found that there were many surprises along the way that were not described to us. When we are investing a lot of time and money, we expected nothing but the best. I will say though that since we are starting IVF treatments, we have had a much more positive experience so far (we are in the early stages of this process. Dr. Hansen was empathetic and even made us laugh to ease the tension.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Make sure you are prepared with questions and do not be afraid to ask them and push for answers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
Sometimes we felt as if they were trying to boost their success rate and not so much caring for each individual. We have found over time, this has gotten better and they are more empathetic.
Describe the protocols Keith Hansen used in your cycles at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine and their degree of success.
We did 4 rounds of IUI. The first, we took no medication. The following, my wife took Chlomid and then also a trigger shot. By rounds 3-4 we were still doing chlomid but changed to a double trigger as one of the cycles resulted in early ovulation and a delayed period by about 2 weeks
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Amy)
I can say without hesitation that we had nurses we preferred over others. The ones we enjoyed had been funny, emphathetic and just plain awesome!
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
The front desk lady, Stacy is awesome!! She remembers who you are even if several months have passed and is super fun to talk to. One thing I would change is making sure that there is 1 nurse or 1 doctor providing a patient information. It was frustrating when we would be told different things by different doctors/nurses.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Keith Hansen at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
Our insurance does not cover any portion of this so it was all out of pocket. We paid for several tests, medications and the actual procedure. I would say each round of IUI cost is around 3-4K with our first round of IVF being around 20k.
Describe Keith Hansen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
We are gearing up for IUI and plan to do a multiple embryo transfer.
What specific things went wrong at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine?
This goes back to the conflicting information received by multiple sources. We have also had surprise tests come up at the fertility clinic when we thought it was included in blood work we had done at our home clinic. We were not told that they had to be done at Sanford.
2013 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr. Hansen is very knowledgeable, and definitely has a lot of experience. Overall, I think he is good at what he does. But he didn't seem to want to think outside the box for our situation. To a certain extent, I think he was trying to protect us financially, but we wanted a child more than anything and were willing to pay for it.... After a retrieval, I wished he would have come talk to me (and not just my husband) to let me know how it had gone.
This [Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine] is the only clinic in the area that does ART -- so options are limited. I think the doctors are good at what they do, but we had significant issues with billing. For one cycle we overpaid nearly $7000, and had to fight with the clinic to get it back. We had similar issues on subsequent cycles, but because of this experience I refused to prepay. They would have never brought it to our attention if I hadn't caught the discrepancy between our EOBs and clinic statements. So watch this, as it can happen.
Be ready for the rollercoaster that is ART.
Describe your experience with Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine.
This is the only clinic in the area that does ART -- so options are limited. I think the doctors are good at what they do, but we had significant issues with billing. For one cycle we overpaid nearly $7000, and had to fight with the clinic to get it back. We had similar issues on subsequent cycles, but because of this experience I refused to prepay. They would have never brought it to our attention if I hadn't caught the discrepancy between our EOBs and clinic statements. So watch this, as it can happen.

2013 - 2015, Unsuccessful
He has compassion. He does not see you every time- just for consults and then his NPs do the rest.
No one went out of their way to be nice or make sure I knew the plans...they want to get in and get out to finish their day.
he has compassion. he does not see you every time- just for consults and then his NPs do the rest. But then he gets to charge you another consult when you are "finished" with that phase of treatments- like we did IUI then after that didn't work we have to pay 600 dollars for another consult to discuss IVF (which we had initially discussed ivf after iui if it didn't work).
overall we had a good experience, but we are still in the process and going to be starting ivf- at another facility since their numbers are not good.
I barely was seen by Dr. HAnsen himself. mostly seen by his nurse practitioners. I felt as though they made me feel less like a number than a human- but they are still a doctors office and this is routine for them- they want to get in and get out to finish their day. the nurses at the office were less warm and fuzzy, and the secretaries (better now) but in 2013 when we started the treatment, they were not helpful and very grumpy.
nothing really- no one went out of their way to be nice or make sure I knew the plans.
Sioux Falls

We started with chlomid and then did letrazol [with Dr. Tiffany Von Wald]. We also did two iuis and are on our second round of ivf...She treats you like a person and knows where you have been and where you want to be. She has been in your shoes and cares...She is very personable and makes you feel welcome. She is a great listener and tells you where you should go next. Her team is great to work with. They get to know you very well and truly care about you.
[The nurses at Sanford Fertility and Reproductive Medicine were] very professional and helpful...Around $600 for iui. 15,00 for egg transfer and ivf 1. Ivf 2-3,000...They make you feel so welcome. I feel very comfortable there. They are so encouraging and helpful. They communicate well using my chart. Everyone knows your name and takes interest in your story. The team is all very positive and friendly...They get to know you very well and truly care about you.
Remain positive. Don’t be afraid to reach out and ask her for help.
We started with chlomid and then did letrazol. We also did two iuis and are on our second round of ivf.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Sanford Fertility & Reproductive Medicine. (Assigned nurse: Shanna Konz)
They were good communities and very professional and helpful.
Around $600 for iui. 15,00 for egg transfer and ivf 1. Ivf 2-3,000