Santa Monica Fertility

Santa Monica, CA 90404
310-907-7501

1 patient review filtered by:

2012, 9 Eggs Frozen
I chose Dr. Jain because of his experience as something of a pioneer in egg freezing and wanted to make sure that the eggs were vitrified instead of slow frozen...More than three years later, I found myself engaged to be married and curious about whether it made sense to look into using my few frozen eggs ...Dr. Jain took time to update himself on our situation, briefly reviewing records I'd dropped off in advance, and sort of thought out loud/walked through our options and his recommendation.
The level of service that I received at Santa Monica Fertility was outstanding. Dr. Jain himself and his staff were all very responsive. I recall never really having to wait for my monitoring appointments, and Dr. Jain took time to answer all of my questions...I recall the nursing staff to be prompt, polite, and efficient. I do recall at one point being asked to confirm my name and birth date on a label, and my birth date was wrong on it, which concerned me.
How was your experience with John Jain at Santa Monica Fertility?
I saw Dr. Jain shortly after my 35th birthday in 2012 for egg freezing, which at the time was either still experimental or had just recently lost its experimental designation. I saw him for an initial consultation during which he explained the process, and decided to proceed with an egg freezing cycle with him. I chose Dr. Jain because of his experience as something of a pioneer in egg freezing and wanted to make sure that the eggs were vitrified instead of slow frozen (it didn't hurt that his office was less than two miles from my home at the time and all of his degrees were from my alma mater - though I would have traveled further to cycle with him). He retrieved a modest number of mature eggs that are safely on ice. Unfortunately, I can't say whether those "worked" or will "work" as we've not yet tried to do anything with them. More than three years later, I found myself engaged to be married and curious about whether it made sense to look into using my few frozen eggs (concern about higher risk of aneuploidy being even older than I was then). I scheduled a follow up phone call with Dr. Jain, who noted that he didn't see any reason to think we wouldn't be able to get pregnant based on what he saw when he treated me, and suggested that we keep the frozen eggs as a last resort. He was right - we got pregnant with a NIPT normal baby the month after we got married, but unfortunately it didn't stick. Maybe 15 months after that phone call, we'd completed two cycles of IVF/ICSI for PGS elsewhere (in network because I had insurance coverage for those two cycles), and once again wanted to get his thoughts on inseminating the frozen eggs. We scheduled another follow up phone call, during which Dr. Jain took time to update himself on our situation, briefly reviewing records I'd dropped off in advance, and sort of thought out loud/walked through our options and his recommendation. Because of our loss and our ages, we would like to PGS test, but Dr. Jain advised waiting on using the frozen eggs until he might one day be able to offer same day PGS testing (not there yet) to avoid asking too much of the eggs/embryos (thaw, ICSI, culture, biopsy, freeze again, thaw again). He recommended one more IVF cycle for potential banking (and didn't push us at all to do it with him), and maybe going back to trying naturally since we appear to be able to get pregnant. We greatly appreciated his thoughts and honesty. In hindsight, I wish that I had done a little more homework myself on the odds and the numbers of frozen eggs needed on average for a take home baby. Dr. Jain didn't push me to do another cycle (which I appreciated at the time). I wish that I had frozen more eggs when I was younger (though it was really expensive and all out of pocket - and the technology wasn't even that far along when I was significantly younger), but I am grateful for the few frozen eggs that I do have and am confident that Dr. Jain will give me my best chances when it comes time to use them.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of John Jain at Santa Monica Fertility?
Generally speaking you get what you pay for. His services are not cheap, but you will receive excellent service.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with John Jain at Santa Monica Fertility?
Describe the protocols John Jain used in your cycles at Santa Monica Fertility and their degree of success.
For my egg freezing cycle, Dr. Jain used an antagonist protocol, starting me with 225 of FSH (Follistim). I continued on this for six days, then went down to 150 FSH and added 75 Menopur and Ganirellix on day 7, went back up to 225 FSH + 75 Menopur + Ganirellix on night 8, then just 225 FSH the morning of day 9 and triggered with 250 Ovidrel that night. I saw Dr Jain for all but I think one of my monitoring appointments. I think we retrieved 12 eggs, 9 of which were mature.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Santa Monica Fertility.
Describe your experience with Santa Monica Fertility.
It's just Dr. Jain, so he doesn't have the volume that some clinics in the area may have. However based on our conversation with him, we got the sense that he's see to seeing tougher cases than ours (unexplained, but really we got pregnant the second time we tried naturally and the only time tracking/temping - and haven't yet tried naturally since).
Describe the costs associated with your care under John Jain at Santa Monica Fertility.
In 2012 approximately $13,000 for egg freezing cycle plus medication.
John Jain