Selling medication is not offered

1515 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19102
610.667.1070

Treated 2020
Most items are not covered by insurance but their [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia's] billing team claims that they are. Check with your insurance directly before you get a huge bill...Not good [experience with Dr. Ochalski] from the male perspective...I was on a medication that reduced sperm count short term and told her...she made me take the sperm test right away knowing this. She then called me up and told me I had a sperm count of 1. Went again to take my sperm test over independently and had over 110 Million sperm in the sample. How could a "fertility expert" make such a reckless mistake!!! Not good for the male!!! Do the sperm test independently.
How was your experience with Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Not good from the male perspective. Was on a medication that lowered my sperm count temporarily. Made sure that she was aware of this. Told me to take the sperm count anyways. She called me up and recklessly told me I had 1 living sperm in the sample and that I needed to see the "excellent" urologist in Towson, MD. I went to see a urologist independent in Lancaster after I was off the medication and ended up with a sperm count of 110 Million. She gave me a lame excuse, but the mental trauma was still there from her misdiagnosis. How could a so-called "fertility expert" make such a bad diagnosis?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Do as much as you can independently of SGF.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Not good from the male perspective...I was on a medication that reduced sperm count short term and told her...she made me take the sperm test right away knowing this. She then called me up and told me I had a sperm count of 1. Went again to take my sperm test over independently and had over 110 Million sperm in the sample. How could a "fertility expert" make such a reckless mistake!!! Not good for the male!!! Do the sperm test independently.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Amy)
Did everything that the Doctor told her to do even though I told her that I was on the medication as well. Did not go back to Ochalski to confirm.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Do as much as you can independently. They try to lead you in with misinformation and trap you. Most items are not covered by insurance but their billing team claims that they are. Check with your insurance directly before you get a huge bill.
Melanie Ochalski
Treated 2018 - 2019
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he [Dr. Caleb Kallen] don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .... Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me... He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication
There [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia- Center Center is] very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.... The nurse staff are nice but when talking to a nurse she just like him. They don’t care because it’s not them
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Caleb treated me as if I was money. Not a person. It upsets me because he don’t work around nor does he help with the situation. He basically makes you feel like your worthless. Thank god he won’t be my doctor anymore
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure he don’t treat you like money. Make sure when your paying cash for everything you accually get the time you payed for and the resolves of the work you have done
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
There very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication. Very crazy . That’s not the price for all the lab work and stuff before .
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I really have nothing. He treated me so horrible and I can’t wait to go to cny fertility
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They never called me for the resaults on my egg count. I had to call and they told me to use the portal because no one was able to speak to me about the resaults. The blood work they never called me for as well I had to bug them in messages in the portal in order to get them
Caleb Kallen
Center City

Dr. Nguyen made sure to answer all the questions that I had and helped give me a realistic picture of the next steps we need to take. I felt that she was straightforward while being somewhat sensitive to my feelings. ... I did feel that she pushed IVF over IUI or timed cycles without having all the diagnostic information. ... she was flexible with working with my limited insurance and allowed me to move some testing back until I felt comfortable.
I also like that you have a dedicated nurse and financial counselor that you can always reach out to for help. The negatives are that the it's [Shady Grove Fertility] so big that its run like a machine so you get less personalized treatment. I also think there are issues with how effective the front desk/records/phlebotomy staff are. Took two weeks for my records to get into my file even though I called to confirm that they made it there twice!
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I have not had any additional experience with Dr. Nguyen yet except for diagnostic testing but she was flexible with working with my limited insurance and allowed me to move some testing back until I felt comfortable. I did feel that she pushed IVF over IUI or timed cycles without having all the diagnostic information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure to do your own research and have an idea of what type of treatment plan works for you. Shady grove is a huge machine like clinic so they have pre-prescribed plans the doctors follow. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
The office is pleasant and everyone is welcoming. Dr. Nguyen made sure to answer all the questions that I had and helped give me a realistic picture of the next steps we need to take. I felt that she was straightforward while being somewhat sensitive to my feelings.
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
So far I've only had diagnostic testing with Dr. Nguyen but she seems very efficient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cicero)
Amy was always a call or email away and would get back to me right away within the same day. They are slow to update/find test results and records but I think that falls more on the receptionists than Amy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Strengths are that there are lots of locations and doctors and they have lots of success getting people pregnant. I also like that you have a dedicated nurse and financial counselor that you can always reach out to for help. The negatives are that the it's so big that its run like a machine so you get less personalized treatment. I also think there are issues with how effective the front desk/records/phlebotomy staff are. Took two weeks for my records to get into my file even though I called to confirm that they made it there twice!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The planned cycle for IUI was quoted at $2400 out of pocket without insurance which we will be completing next month. We paid $300 for a genetic screen, $400 for husband's initial bloodwork (but without insurance) and $800 for an HSG (with insurance and performed at shady grove)
Describe Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
No applicable to my treatment.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Lost paperwork and records. Took a lot of time to be updated with results, especially if they came from an outside lab.
Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen

Treated 2016 - 2017
She [Dr. Melissa Esposito] often ran very late and was cold and artificial...This office bumps patients between doctors and Dr Esposito was never my choice of physician. I was never happy to see that she would be performing a procedure because she was artificial, distant, and not able to make a human connection...Shady Grove seems to use a standard set of protocols, so don't be afraid to push back and ask if that is what is right for you.
Both the primary care nurse and some of the ancillary nursing staff were phenomenal. One of the med techs is very cold and gruff...Shady Grove seems to use a standard set of protocols, so don't be afraid to push back and ask if that is what is right for you...They would do better to have a more private patient waiting room setup - you will run into people you may know given the small size and few other resources in the area. Their financial aid paperwork is complex and depends upon patients managing multiple pieces of it -- which I was not made aware of until it was too late.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Try someone else in the practice.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
She often ran very late and was cold and artificial
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
outrageous, but that's what it is with no insurance coverage.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I qualified for their discount program but was not informed I had to call the pharmacy and other providers myself to relay this information. This error cost me thousands of dollars.
Melissa Esposito
Mechanicsburg
Treated 2017
Dr. Martin was knowledgeable and accommodating. He completed a lot of my testing as well as 4 rounds of IUI. The only thing I would have found more helpful would’ve been adjusting treatments based on not getting results rather than continuing to complete 4 cycles with the same ineffective treatment. ... I completed 4 cycles with doctor Martin using clomid to increase ovulation, ovidrel to trigger ovulation, and IUI for conception.
Costs at shady grove we’re higher than I’ve experienced with other doctors. ... This clinic is easily accessible just off the highway and has ample parking. It is clean and comfortable. They provide keurig coffee and water in the waiting room. The patient rooms are comfortable and clean. ... I dealt with the nursing staff through most of my care and they were very caring and compassionate. They always returned my inquiries in a timely manner.
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Ask questions. If you feel something isn’t working and you think you need to make a change speak up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Martin was very helpful. He was understanding and listened to everything I had to say.
Describe the protocols Ryan Martin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Costs at shady grove we’re higher than I’ve experienced with other doctors.
Describe Ryan Martin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I did not have this procedure
Ryan Martin
Philadelphia

Treated 2016
Sometimes I felt I was just another couple and didn't feel like he [Dr. Munabi] was super personal to our case....It's very hard to understand him. My husband and I just wanted cut and dry what we need to do. During our 1st appointment after all the tests he said we should be able to do timed intercourse with pills. But the 3rd visit he said we should just go straight to IVF. I was very confused and we were told we could also do IUI.
Weakness not reading the medical charts well enough to catch things that they should know right away but the patient had to catch it...Strengths the nursing staff [at Shady Grove] rocks and makes you feel very comfortable...They didn't catch that my follicle was growing in the right ovary which my right tube is blocked and would automatically cancel that IUI that cycle and kept me going with the injections until i mentioned something.
How was your experience with Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
It's very hard to understand him. My husband and I just wanted cut and dry what we need to do. During our 1st appointment after all the tests he said we should be able to do timed intercourse with pills. But the 3rd visit he said we should just go straight to IVF. I was very confused and we were told we could also do IUI. He messed up my 1st cycle when he knew my right tube was blocked but that was the only side with a follicle and was still instructing me to stimulate until I said something about it. I'm just a little discouraged by it and when our 1st IUI failed I couldn't bear to try again. Plus I hated having to travel an hour to another facility to get the procedure done.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure to get a second opinion. He isn't clear with your diagnosis and what your next step for treatment is. He is very hard to understand with his thick accent.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Sometimes I felt I was just another couple and didn't feel like he was super personal to our case.
Describe the protocols Abraham Munabi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
My 1st treatment was stimulating with ovudril & follistim to prepare me for IUI. Several appointments for a vaginal ultrasound to see if we had good follicles and they were growing. My 1st treatment occurred on the right ovary which my tube is blocked. I had to mention to the dr & nurse about this bc of it voiding the IUI & they didn't catch it. The 2nd treatment went well but my IUI didn't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Morgan sheets)
These ladies were excellent. Made it easier to understand what was going on since we could barely understand Dr. Munabi
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Weakness not reading the medical charts well enough to catch things that they should know right away but the patient had to catch it. Not being able to understand Dr. Munabi. Strengths the nursing staff rocks and makes you feel very comfortable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
IUI is $1600. I also had to get the follistim & ovudril from my pharmacy which costs around $70 total. I also received a bill for $135 after I stopped going and put things on hold and I'm not sure why. I thought my insurance covered all my appointments. I also had to pay $300 each for mine and my husbands genetic testing.
Describe Abraham Munabi (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
We didn't have to cover that during treatment. But he did mention if we had more than one embryo we could choose to eliminate the multiples.
Abraham Munabi (retired)