7.3

1515 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19102
610.667.1070

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
When I first met [Dr. Melissa] Espositto I felt like I was at the right place & she made me feel like family. I will be forever thankful for all she did to help us achieve one of our dreams of having a child. She was compassionate & caring from the beginning & throughout all my bad experiences. I just wish from the start some things would of been mentioned about doing like pgs testing & ERA biopsy not at the end when I had practically used all my embryos. It was nice when she would call me before a transfer & wish me good luck but towards the end it was always communicating w the nurse.
Sometimes this clinic [Shady Grove-Harrisburg] is extremely busy so don't expect to be in & out in 30min. Always ask questions to make sure you are all on same page. Front desk could be more knowledgeable. There was a few times I was there & asked hey wasn't I supposed to have this done today. Then they were like hold on let me check & would come back in to say yeah you are right.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
When I first met Espositto I felt like I was at the right place & she made me feel like family. I will be forever thankful for all she did to help us achieve one of our dreams of having a child. She was compassionate & caring from the beginning & throughout all my bad experiences. I just wish from the start some things would of been mentioned about doing like pgs testing & ERA biopsy not at the end when I had practically used all my embryos. It was nice when she would call me before a transfer & wish me good luck but towards the end it was always communicating w the nurse. I am currently trying yet for another baby but unfortunately have to start over from a retrieval & switched drs due to I feel abandoned by her now. I know she is a great dr but for some reason she refuses to call me or maybe the nurse isn't asking her to. She has been a blessing to me but I have a new dr now that I hope will give it their all to help me achieve my dreams of having a second baby!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Don't be hesitant to ask questions or second guess anything! She is a great dr but its your future♡
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I would say I got treated more like a human until after my first & only live birth. Then I felt more like a number after that cuz it was the same protocols time after time & results were similar unfortunately.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
One retrieval 10 eggs 9 mature & all 9 fertilized w Icsi to great quality blasts. Transferred 1 fresh ended in chemical. 2nd FET w 1 was neg. 3rd FET w 2 was pos & ended in live birth♡. 4th FET w 2 was pos but ended in MC at 9wks. 5th FET w 2 was pos but ended in MC at 7.5 wks. 6th FET w 1 was chemical but embryo stuck in catheter & had to reprep it for transfer again. My 3rd -6th i did endo scratch w prednisolone & lovenox w other transfer meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
She was always good at responding to emails & phone calls. There was a few times there was miscommunications & I'm glad I asked questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Sometimes this clinic is extremely busy so don't expect to be in & out in 30min. Always ask questions to make sure you are all on same page. Front desk could be more knowledgeable. There was a few times I was there & asked hey wasn't I supposed to have this done today. Then they were like hold on let me check & would come back in to say yeah you are right.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
You could go in at certain hrs in morn & mostly when it worked best for you. Sometimes you could go in & it was extremely busy & waited a long time. Then there was days you were in & out.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Many many $1000s. Too much unfortunately. All out of pocket
Describe Melissa Esposito's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
She said one for 1st two transfers but after that it was 2.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I had to repeat a test that required taking more injections so they could repeat it due to first time they collected the wrong amount of tissue. Plus put my plans yet another month behind.
Melissa Esposito

2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr. Martin has excellent bedside manner. He always remains positive and tried not give unfavorable information in a kind way. He has been open to phone calls and visits, and never makes his patients feel rushed... funny, personable and kind. He works hard to try and lighten the mood and often makes jokes in the office. He is also gentle. Vaginal ultrasounds are not the most comfortable thing and he does a great job and easing that discomfort.
Our total cost for the Shared Risk Program [at Shady Grove Fertility] with the genetic testing for all embryos was $28,000. The cost of visits were included. We probably spent an additional $300-$400 on meds for those three trials of IVF. We spent about $300-$400 on IUI with the cost of visit co-pays and medication over six tries...They can and will drop you from the shared risk program if you do not conceive within two tries. They label it low ovarian reserve or response and do not consider that grief plays a role. They push the phrase, "you get up to six tries and you either get a baby or your money back." They do not spend a lot of time going over reasons you could be dis-enrolled from the program which is misleading. Also, the services are extremely expensive and there is little information offered about financial resources for patients.
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Martin is very funny, personable and kind. He works hard to try and lighten the mood and often makes jokes in the office. He is also gentle. Vaginal ultrasounds are not the most comfortable thing and he does a great job and easing that discomfort.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Ask your questions. He is more than willing to answer anything you throw at him and if he doesn't know the answer, hell get back to you. Don't be shy. Ask what you need to know and ask about risks.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Ryan Martin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I believe I was on an antagonist protocol. I did the Estrogen patch followed by menopur and follistim for egg stimulation. Ganirelix was introduced to wards the end to prevent ovulation prior to egg retrieval. I was taking 450 ml of follistim per day (350 AM/ 150 pm), two vials & then three vials of menopur (one saline solution with the powder menopur) in the evenings and one syringe of the ganirelix. Not sure of the dosage of menopur or ganirelix but those were the instructions. I had appts every other day or so and sometimes daily. Bloodwork was obtained at every visit. I also had a saline sonogram twice during the course of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bennis)
Tori is very kind. She is sometimes unavailable but the other nurses do a good job of covering for each other. She seemed a bit less knowledgeable than our previous nurse, Debbie Dancer, but she was ok.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Shady Grove Fertility (SGF) is a very well run clinic overall. The staff is friendly and efficient, their facilities are clean and they seem invested in your success at becoming a parent. They only do procedures out of their Chesterbrook office which is not very convenient. There are times the Bala office has been closed unexpectedly which is inconvenient as well. The Chesterbrook office usually does well accommodating that. The decision board is less personable. They seem to treat patients more like a number in that they do not take into consideration contextual variables. They can and will drop you from the shared risk program if you do not conceive within two tries. They label it low ovarian reserve or response and do not consider that grief plays a role. They push the phrase, "you get up to six tries and you either get a baby or your money back." They do not spend a lot of time going over reasons you could be dis-enrolled from the program which is misleading. Also, the services are extremely expensive and there is little information offered about financial resources for patients.
Monitoring occurred between the hours of 7-9am daily. It was a well-oiled machine.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Our total cost for the Shared Risk Program with the genetic testing for all embryos was $28,000. The cost of visits were included. We probably spent an additional $300-$400 on meds for those three trials of IVF. We spent about $300-$400 on IUI with the cost of visit co-pays and medication over six tries.
Describe Ryan Martin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
My doctor recommended one embryo be transferred but was ok with transferring two at most. That's how we got pregnant with our twins. After losing them, he recommends only transferring one at a time.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
It was really one issue but it was a significant one in my opinion. We were approved for the Shared Risk Program and told we would be fine. We conceived our twin daughters on the first try of IVF and lost them at four months gestation. We tried two additional rounds of IVF but I did not make genetically normal embryos. Each time I only had one egg that made it to blastocyst stage for PGS. Both were not eligible for transfer. We were then dropped from the program and told we could continue but pay per try. This is a $14,000 commitment. After many conversations, I was later told that I didn't have "the highest numbers" from the beginning and that despite my loss and grief, they weren't willing to continue with me in the program. This was news to me. If I had known my numbers weren't very high (they actually fluctuated at post review), we would have started IVF sooner. Now we have to be very calculated and hope that paying for another round independently will result in a viable embryo that can be transferred. It's very stressful.
Ryan Martin
Center City

I did find it kind of odd that we were offered the option to do IUI from the get-go, if we chose to. I also wondered about investigating more into the cause of my infertility. Overall I trust her [Dr. Kara Khanh-HaNguyen] experience and her bedside manner is great....First cycle we tried 50mg clomid, trigger shot and timed intercourse. Because the clomid dried me out, we moved to IUI. We did 100 mg and have different results each cycle (sometimes multiple eggs, sometimes 1). We also did trigger shot and progesterone. The third IUI my lining was thin so we added estrogen. All cycles were negative.
I had several nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia].Kristen was really great and helpful. Alyssa was not quite as helpful over email...The financial counselor was not great. She went over things very quickly and was not able to offer much guidance or help with certain items. Very vague and didn’t want to spend much time talking until we actually decided to do IVF...I did find it kind of odd that we were offered the option to do IUI from the get-go, if we chose to. I also wondered about investigating more into the cause of my infertility.
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Kara was very friendly and followed up after each failed IUI. I did find it kind of odd that we were offered the option to do IUI from the get-go, if we chose to. I also wondered about investigating more into the cause of my infertility. Overall I trust her experience and her bedside manner is great.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Ask plenty of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Kara called to follow up after each failed IUI.
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I had several nurses. Kristen was really great and helpful. Alyssa was not quite as helpful over email.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I had insurance. IVF was about $2500 with insurance, $4500 for meds and $1800 for freezing.
Mechanicsburg

Dr. Nguyen is caring and gentle. She called me personally when we found out I was pregnant and was sad with me when we lost our precious baby.... First cycle was just clomid at 100mg. No pregnancy but I did ovulate. We continued that 3 times with no success. 5th cycle was monitored and included a trigger shot of ovidrel along with the clomid 100mg. This ended with chemical pregnancy. 6th cycle same protocol and got pregnant but miscarried at 8 weeks
Wait times are rough [at Shady Grove Fertility of Pennsylvania]. Several times I had appointments and had to wait well over 25 minutes to get in. Care is great and staff is great. Facilities are nice and clean and welcoming. Overall really like them. Pricing is high... Tracey was great! She called me regularly with updates and answered my messages within a day. Sometime I got worried or worked up and cried but she never let it get me down and kept us going.
I was happy with my treatment, though my outcome of miscarriage was obviously heartbreaking. We are ready to try again and wouldn’t dream of going to any other doctor or clinic. She has a great manner and plan for us
Trust the plan and trust her. It’s scary but it can work
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mcclelland)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Wait times are rough. Several times I had appointments and had to wait well over 25 minutes to get in. Care is great and staff is great. Facilities are nice and clean and welcoming. Overall really like them. Pricing is high
Not sure if the total cost
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Just appointments scheduled at the wrong location
Lancaster

She [Dr. Kara Nguyen] took time to explain what was going on with me in terms that I was able to understand. She also is very supportive of my choices with treatment. She gives me hope that a successful pregnancy can happen for me...Very personable and easily reached when I had questions...Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment...We did a cycle of clomid due To the less monitoring required while I am working.
Very easy to get an appointment. They [Shady Grove of PA] open at 7 am which is amazing for teachers. I have been early for appointments and left before my actual appointment time. Easy to contact and get help when needed...All [nursing staff] wonderful. Willing to answer questions and help if my nurse was out of the office...Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment.
She took time to explain what was going on with me in terms that I was able to understand. She also is very supportive of my choices with treatment. She gives me hope that a successful pregnancy can happen for me.
Be open and honest with your feelings. Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment.
Very personable and easily reached when I had questions
We did a cycle of clomid due To the less monitoring required while I am working. If this does not work we are moving to IVF when I am off of work for the summer and would be able to do all the appointments. Dr. Nguyen was very supportive of our idea and plan.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Morgan)
All wonderful. Willing to answer questions and help if my nurse was out of the office.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Very easy to get an appointment. They open at 7 am which is amazing for teachers. I have been early for appointments and left before my actual appointment time. Easy to contact and get help when needed.