7.3

Philadelphia
1515 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19102
610.667.1070

Dr. Ochalski is a caring professional. She listen to our concerns about continuing IUIs and also our worries about IVF to help us come to a conclusion that was best for us. She did not pressure us into anything and was there for support through our choices. ...Dr. Ochalski made us feel like humans, first by getting to know us. She knows our names, our story and why we came to her. She has excellent bedside manor but tells us what we need to hear. She also took it upon herself to be in contact with me during the COVID-19 pandemic. We had a plan to begin our first IVF cycle when our clinic was a.) worried about being shut down and then b.) shutting down new treatments.(I had just finished a week of BC pills and was scheduled to start injections as the pandemic exploded.) She did not ask a nurse to call or give advice and support, she called herself, daily, as things were changing daily at that point.
Shady Grove Fertility has a strong sense of community. It is very clean and organized. They have a portal to receive emails and where everything is easy to get access. They are easy to get a hold of when you call and they maintain a high sense of professionalism. ... Kayla is great at maintaining communication and explanations when needed!
How was your experience with Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
If you’re thinking about it, go see her! ASAP! She’s worth it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Melanie Ochalski used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
She helped us determine if continuing IUIs would be benifical or if IVF would be a good next step. We are diagnosed with unexplained infertility and we had a poor experience with a previous doctor who was pushing us in a direction we did not understand and we were not getting support or answers. She was able to provide those explanations and made us feel comfortable with our choose to continue with IVF after she helped us discover a potential male factor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
Kayla is great at maintaining communication and explanations when needed!
Melanie Ochalski
Lancaster

[Dr. Melissa Esposito] She validated my feelings of despair, allowed me to cry it out then explained how she could help...she was following my progress and even personally called to let me know my IVF cycle was canceled due to COVID 19...[she] recommends single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples...The first cycle I did 5mg for 5 days. My follicles didn't respond so I was given Clomid for 5 days...the next 2 cycles I alternated 5mg and 7.5mg for a total of 5 days
I have/had a lot of questions and my nurse [of SGF Philadelphia] was always very timely in her responses...[staff]They always greeted me by name so it made you feel welcome...I had a $40 copay for each time I met with Dr. Esposito and for each ultrasound performed during monitoring. Medication for each timed intercourse cycle was between $89-$90. IVF was about $23,000...[Dr. Esposito] She gave me the science behind everything which is what I needed and together we came up with a plan
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Esposito. She validated my feelings of despair, allowed me to cry it out then explained how she could help. She gave me the science behind everything which is what I needed and together we came up with a plan that everyone was comfortable with. Even though I didn't see her for most of my monitoring sessions, I know she was following my progress and even personally called to let me know my IVF cycle was canceled due to COVID 19. I know that couldn't have been easy for her. I left my consult with hope. During timed intercourse she adjusted my medication as needed and explained everything. I felt well taken care of!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Be open and honest with her about your goals and what you are comfortable doing. She was customize your treatment for you but will take your feelings and desires into consideration.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
When my husband and I had our consult, we had just suffered our third miscarriage with no previous live births. Achieving our dream of building a family together seemed so hopeless. We had been trying for over 2 years. Dr. Esposito let me cry and explained how she could help us. She was so positive she could help us achieve our goal and explained the whole process to us including our options. I left that appointment with more hope than I expected and I felt like she was on our team, fighting beside us.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I did 3 cycles of timed intercourse using Letrozole. The first cycle I did 5mg for 5 days. My follicles didn't respond so I was given Clomid for 5 days. I then had an over response. For the next 2 cycles I alternated 5mg and 7.5mg for a total of 5 days. That seemed to be the right dosage for me because by cycle day 10 or 11 I was ready for my trigger shot. My body responded well to everything, the follicles grew as they were supposed to but none of the cycles ended with a pregnancy. After speaking with Dr. Esposito we decided to go straight to IVF. We were getting ready to start our first IVF cycle when it got canceled due to COVID 19.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
I have/had a lot of questions and my nurse was always very timely in her responses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They were very timely and easy to work with. They always greeted me by name so it made you feel welcome. The clinic was very light and calming. The whole staff have been great to work with, no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe Melissa Esposito's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
My doctor recommends single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples.
Mechanicsburg

I actually only had one cycle with Dr. Nguyen. She upped the dosage of clomid and put me immediately on progesterone after my iui. I became pregnant with that iui... I loved that Dr. Nguyen said it cannot hurt to take the progesterone - we won’t waste that week following your Iui. It could have been the missing link to those three failed iuis with the previous practice!...took a more aggressive approach and I actually did get pregnant with my first iui cycle!! Unfortunately, I lost my precious little one at 12 weeks. I am about to start up treatment again and had a second consultation with Dr. Nguyen. She was very supportive. I’m hopeful, but it looks like maybe IVF makes the most sense for us... unfortunately we cannot afford it... so we will probably try Iui again! I have been very pleased with everyone at Shady Grove.
I have no complaints at all [about Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia]. The clinic is nice and clean. There are lots of locations. The portal was very helpful to keep track of appointments and to email your team with questions. It has all been a very pleasant experience...I have been very pleased with everyone at Shady Grove...She [nurse] was on the ball with everything and took the time to talk to me and answer my questions always. She would always call me back if she missed my call. She just really made things easier. Sadly, Morgan is going to a new practice so I will have a new nurse when I begin treatment again.
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Nguyen explained everything in a way to help me understand a little better and she took plenty of time to answer my questions. Also, after I lost my pregnancy, Dr. Nguyen called me to check on me which I appreciated so much. She let me know they were here for me when I was ready to start up again. I was having a tough time with my schedule (when I decided to go for my second consultation) and Dr. Nguyen actually agreed to have my second consultation over the phone. I just really think the world of her ... actully all of the doctors that I’ve met at Shady Grove were great!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Nguyen has been so incredibly sweet and helpful during this stressful time. I went to a different practice originally and was pretty unhappy. I took a little break and decided to go for a consultation at Shady Grove. Dr. Nguyen took a more aggressive approach and I actually did get pregnant with my first iui cycle!! Unfortunately, I lost my precious little one at 12 weeks. I am about to start up treatment again and had a second consultation with Dr. Nguyen. She was very supportive. I’m hopeful, but it looks like maybe IVF makes the most sense for us... unfortunately we cannot afford it... so we will probably try Iui again! I have been very pleased with everyone at Shady Grove.
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Morgan)
Morgan was so awesome!!!! She was on the ball with everything and took the time to talk to me and answer my questions always. She would always call me back if she missed my call. She just really made things easier. Sadly, Morgan is going to a new practice so I will have a new nurse when I begin treatment again.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I have no complaints at all. The clinic is nice and clean. There are lots of locations. The portal was very helpful to keep track of appointments and to email your team with questions. It has all been a very pleasant experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I was lucky in that my insurance covered the iui. I just To fulfill my co pays until I reached my out of pocket max. Ivf, however, is not covered and I am waiting to hear from someone from finance to go over prices. One positive thing is the ivf, I believe, is guaranteed and if you do not conceive, I believe you are reimbursed. I need to fully confirm that but that is what I heard on the radio advertisement for sgf.
Describe Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I just loved that Dr. Nguyen didn’t waste any time and she took all precautions for me. The previous practice I went to tested my blood the week following iui to decide whether or not I would need progesterone ... my levels were good after my first iui so they never put me on progesterone and never tested me again. I loved that Dr. Nguyen said it cannot hurt to take the progesterone - we won’t waste that week following your Iui. It could have been the missing link to those three failed iuis with the previous practice!
Mechanicsburg

Dr. Nguyen called me after I informed her office of my miscarriage to check in and see how I was doing. She broached the subject of next steps only after she was certain I was alright—she even sent me information for counselors who could help me...She fully explained all initial diagnostic procedures and made sure I understood what they were and why they were needed...Dr. Nguyen is very knowledgeable and patient and caring and is happy to answer any questions and address any concerns.
Every single person I’ve interacted with at SGF [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] has been so kind...The ladies at the desk know me by name and can answer any questions I have when I call. The office itself is brand new (the Camp Hill location moved to Mechanicsburg in 2018/2019) and is very nice. The whole atmosphere is so calming when you’re there...
From the very first time I met her, Dr. Nguyen made me feel like I could conquer the world. She fully explained all initial diagnostic procedures and made sure I understood what they were and why they were needed. When I told her my biggest fear was doing all the tests and having it come back as unexplained infertility, she said “it might, and if it does, we can treat that too.” I felt so confident after that initial meeting. Unfortunately my results came back as low AMH/high FSH and she had to explain that the chances of my getting pregnant on my own and even using my own eggs for IVF were not good and that we should think about how we’d like to move forward. By some miracle I ended up getting pregnant shortly after that—however, that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage at 9-1/2 weeks. Dr. Nguyen called me after I informed her office of my miscarriage to check in and see how I was doing. She broached the subject of next steps only after she was certain I was alright—she even sent me information for counselors who could help me through such an emotional time. At our next meeting, she explained again that my chances of getting pregnant on my own or an IVF cycle with my own eggs was not likely given my hormone levels however, since I was fortunate enough to have infertility coverage through my insurance at my job, she was willing to try. She told us, “I want to give you the best shot at having a baby, but I also want to be mindful of the insurance coverage you have and the financial strain of these procedures.” I’ve never once had a doctor who was concerned about a patient’s financing! We tried one cycle of IVF which had to be adjusted to an IUI cycle due to my ovaries not responding to the meds. That cycle, unfortunately, ended with a negative pregnancy test. Our next step is IVF with donor eggs—which will not be covered by my insurance.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I think the advice I would give to anyone is to ask as many questions as you can think of! Dr. Nguyen is very knowledgeable and patient and caring and is happy to answer any questions and address any concerns.
Dr. Nguyen is a very compassionate doctor. Each time I’ve seen her or spoke with her she starts the conversations wanting to know how I’m doing and what my expectations are. She has never once pressured me to do something I am not on board with; in fact, she has stated multiple times, “I’m here for whatever you want to do. You tell me what path you want to take and I will help you along that path.” Even when my odds of success with IVF using my own eggs, she let me try so that I wouldn’t have to live with the feelings of “what if.”
I was on Lupron for about 7 days and then was on menopur and gonal-f with an HCG trigger shot. With my hormone levels, my body did not react as other people’s would have and I only had one mature follicle by the time retrieval would have occurred. Because of this, I was switched to an IUI cycle as Dr. Nguyen did not think it was prudent to do retrieval for only one egg—which I agreed. The main reason she let me even go through with it was because my insurance was covering the bulk of the process and I didn’t want to not try it and then always wonder if it would have worked.
I started off with a nurse named Amy. She was very responsive to my messages and either had the answer when responding or told me she would find out and get back to me (which she did). Amy left that office and I was assigned Kristen. Like Amy, Kristen was quick to respond to any of my messages and thoughtful with her answers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Every single person I’ve interacted with at SGF has been so kind. One thing that really struck my on my first meeting was a basket of cutout paper hearts and there were messages on them like “we are here for you” and “you’ve got this!” and I thought that was just going the extra step to show they care about their patients. The ladies at the desk know me by name and can answer any questions I have when I call. The office itself is brand new (the Camp Hill location moved to Mechanicsburg in 2018/2019) and is very nice. The whole atmosphere is so calming when you’re there.
My insurance thankfully covered a lot of the costs or partially covered. The meds were very expensive (I think $7k if I ordered through one of the pharmacies they recommended) so I ordered from overseas and it cost half that amount (but not covered by insurance).
No comment applicable for me currently, but she is in favor of single embryo transfer.
Philadelphia

She [Dr. Esposito] is warm and kind. She makes direct eye contact and doesn't interrupt when you're talking. She is very willing to give more or less detail based on your feedback. She never seems like she's in a hurry...a very professional doctor who maintains the high standard of the clinic without feeling cold or clinical. She is very conversational with patients but is able to answer questions directly and provide more or less information based on your level of inquiry.
Shady Grove is all about education. They have unlimited opportunities to better your understanding of yourself, your fertility journey, their treatments and services, as well as the case histories of other patients in similar fertility stages, treatments and outcomes...The nursing staff is professional, polite, conversational and willing to go the extra step to ensure quality patient care...IUI is 1,800 per cycle--Medication costs were per insurance provider.
Dr. Esposito is a very professional doctor who maintains the high standard of the clinic without feeling cold or clinical. She is very conversational with patients but is able to answer questions directly and provide more or less information based on your level of inquiry. I appreciate the balance between her warm manner and high level of professionalism. Our conversations have always been candid and thorough. She is gentle when performing evaluations and never seems like she is in a hurry.
Don't make any assumptions based on fear or lack of experience--the best way to make the next step is to get more information. The more you know the better prepared you are to move forward with clarity and confidence.
She is warm and kind. She makes direct eye contact and doesn't interrupt when you're talking. She is very willing to give more or less detail based on your feedback. She never seems like she's in a hurry.
The trajectory that we have mapped out with Dr. Esposito is to start my first round of fertility medications this month, starting with medication and ovulation charting the first round and then move to medication with timed intercourse and then medication, egg harvesting an then IUI as necessary.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
IUI is 1,800 per cycle--Medication costs were per insurance provider.
Mechanicsburg

Dr. Kara Nguyen is super nice and has such a sweet personality. She took time to make sure we understood our diagnosis and upcoming procedure. She was very compassionate and caring throughout the whole process.... When we went for our initial consultation she took a lot of time to explain my low amh results...My doctor strongly encouraged only transferring 1 embryo. We didn't even really have the option of transferring multiple.
One thing I didn't like was that all the financial counselors are located in their [Shady Grove] Rockville, MD office. It would have been nice to talk to someone in person which used to be the case. Also, the financial counselors seemed overwhelmed and were often slow in getting back to you....The nursing staff was great! Tracey always had a protocol and schedule for me which was very helpful and easy to follow. She would also call each day of my monitoring appointments and explain results and what to do next.
Dr. Kara Nguyen is a very caring and compassionate Dr. When we went for our initial consultation she took a lot of time to explain my low amh results. I told her I wanted to be pregnant before the end of summer (consultation was in April) and she said we can do that. I still felt skeptical and scared to get my hopes up after almost 4 years of infertility but she delivered on that (got my positive pregnancy test in August). Also when my fresh transfer got cancelled and changed to a freeze all because of my progesterone level before my retrieval, I cried and she called me to make sure I understood why and make sure I was okay. Also, when she called to tell me I was pregnant, I could tell she was genuinely happy and excited for me.
Don't be afraid to go and do a consultation. I know a IVF sounds really scary but Dr. Kara Nguyen will explain everything and have a plan for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
We first tried 1 IUI because my insurance covered it. We were skeptical it would work due to my husband's low count and wondered if it was worth trying but also nervous about going straight to IVF. Dr. Kara Nguyen said it wouldn't hurt to try one IUI and the ultrasounds and bloodwork from that would be helpful in planning the IVF so it wouldn't be a complete waste if it didn't work. IUI cycle we did 100 mg Clomid on cycle days 3-7 and were supposed to do the trigger shot of Ovidrel on day 10 but that got pushed back until day 13 because of follicle size. Received negative pregnancy test after IUI. Started IVF on next cycle. Birth control pills for 15 days, Lupron (2.8cc) and birth control pills for 3 days, Lupron for 9 days, Follistim 300iU and Menopur 75iU for 14 days then Trigger shot and Egg Retrieval. My Follistim and Menopur ended up getting adjusted and my egg retrieval was pushed back because my follicles were growing slower and they wanted to have as many mature as possible. Also my progesterone got too high during the end of my stims so my cycle was switched to a freeze all and then an FET for the best chance of implantation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tracey)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The new facility Shady Grove moved into in Mechanicsburg, PA is really nice. One thing I didn't like was that all the financial counselors are located in their Rockville, MD office. It would have been nice to talk to someone in person which used to be the case. Also, the financial counselors seemed overwhelmed and were often slow in getting back to you. One thing that I liked was their Shared Help program which gives a discount on ivf treatment based on income. Also, they have a shared risk program where you can do up to 6 ivf cycles including FET's and cryopreservation for 1 price and if you don't take home a baby from the hospital you get your money back.
IUI was covered by my insurance but cost about $180. IVF shared risk (up to 6 cycles including cryopreservation and FET's) after income discount was $16,500. IVF medications were about $4,600.
My doctor strongly encouraged only transferring 1 embryo. We didn't even really have the option of transferring multiple. I think it depends on your diagnosis, but the explanation I was given was that transferring multiple didn't really increase the chance of implantation but it did increase the risk of multiples which would be a high risk pregnancy.
Mechanicsburg
Dr. Esposito cared deeply about our desire to be parents. She was patient through the process of explaining everything to us even if she had to repeat herself. She was very empathetic and was supportive of the way we wanted to go about treatment.... She made sure to answer our questions fully and she covered all risks involved. We appreciated how she spoke to us in a down-to-earth manner and she treated us with importance and sensitivity. She was reassuring and when our first cycle failed she felt deeply unsatisfied and outlined exactly how the protocol would change and how she was going to make this happen for us.
They [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] are organized, communicative, flexible and make sure your experience is to your satisfaction. I expressed concerns about the financial counselor we were assigned and we received a phone call the very next day from our new financial counselor.... We exhausted insurance benefits for 2nd cycle so we opted to go with Shared Risk so we had a fair shot at making and bringing our baby home. Shared Risk is out of pocket and runs $19,500 plus $3,500 for genetic testing.
Dr. Esposito was explicit in her explanation of treatment. She made sure to answer our questions fully and she covered all risks involved. We appreciated how she spoke to us in a down-to-earth manner and she treated us with importance and sensitivity. She was reassuring and when our first cycle failed she felt deeply unsatisfied and outlined exactly how the protocol would change and how she was going to make this happen for us. "I just want to make your dream of becoming parents come true", those were her exact words.
Have faith. Trust the process. Ask questions- there is no such thing as "too many questions". Make sure you feel like all of your concerns are addressed and you are being heard. If you are a patient of Dr. Esposito, you will have no trouble with that. Be upfront and transparent.
I was on a menopur/gonal protocol with femera to keep my endometriosis at bay and introduced cetrotide towards the end of stims to prevent ovulation. Triggered with HCG.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cicero)
Amy was out of this world, amazing. Couldn't have asked for a better nurse. So patient and so incredibly kind hearted. Such an amazing communicator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They are organized, communicative, flexible and make sure your experience is to your satisfaction. I expressed concerns about the financial counselor we were assigned and we received a phone call the very next day from our new financial counselor.
Meds were between $5K-$6K, genetic testing was $5K. The rest was covered by my insurance. We exhausted insurance benefits for 2nd cycle so we opted to go with Shared Risk so we had a fair shot at making and bringing our baby home. Shared Risk is out of pocket and runs $19,500 plus $3,500 for genetic testing.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
While our nurse Amy was off, the nurse that was covering for her omitted the development of 2 of our embryos. Everything got cleared up the following day.

2015 - 2017, Successful
Dr K. [Kulshrestha] was there for me every step of the way. One example: the nurse told me I would probably need a frozen transfer and I completely broke down in tears. Minutes later, Dr. K herself called me (well after 5pm) to talk through it and reassure me we would do everything possible to have a fresh transfer...Dr. Kulshretha treats every patient like her top priority. She tells you what she thinks is best, listens to your concerns, and works with you to make the treatment be as best as it can for you. She never rushes you, and is always aware of your treatment. She'll let you know if another physician will be monitoring you for a particular day.
[Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] Does not allow children in office - personally I think that's important in a clinic. Small location - you will know all the staff (I love Haley, the girl that takes your blood) You will have to go to Chesterbrook for the procedures and on weekend...(nursing staff] they are very kind and experienced...Egg retrieval, day-5 fresh embryo transfer. Continued endometrin for a long time into the pregnancy...
How was your experience with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Allow her to get close with you. Think of her as a good friend. It will help her be on your page for treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr K. was there for me every step of the way. One example: the nurse told me I would probably need a frozen transfer and I completely broke down in tears. Minutes later, Dr. K herself called me (well after 5pm) to talk through it and reassure me we would do everything possible to have a fresh transfer. She still checks in on me and has met the baby a couple times!
Describe the protocols Sunita Kulshrestha used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Im sorry but I dont remember specifics. I took 3 shots a day, 1 in the am and 1 in the pm. Egg retrieval, day-5 fresh embryo transfer. Continued endometrin for a long time into the pregnancy...
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Daniella - not with practice anymore)
I recently met the new nursing staff and believe they are very kind and experienced. I have not yet undergone treatment with them so cannot comment.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Does not allow children in office - personally I think that's important in a clinic. Small location - you will know all the staff (I love Haley, the girl that takes your blood) You will have to go to Chesterbrook for the procedures and on weekends
Describe Sunita Kulshrestha's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Did a SET (she felt very strongly about it). The embryo split into two (identical twins) but I lost one.
Sunita Kulshrestha
Center City

I loved her [Dr. Melissa Esposito]. I loved that she was blunt about things and her opinions... always having research to back it up too!...I did 6 IUIs, and she was up front that she only wanted to do 3 max, less if we were comfortable. She doesn't like IUIs as much due to such low success rates. I totally agree with her!! Unfortunately my insurance forced us to do 6 before moving onto IVF. We did 3 cycles on clomid, 3 cycles on injectable meds then moved onto Antagonist Protocol for IVF with ICSI.
IVF,ICSI cost about $10000 and $4000 in meds...I loved everything about this clinic [Shady Grove at Camp Hill]. I do want to warn you that they have many branches and if you're branch doesn't have a Dr on the day your cycle falls for transfer or IUI, you may have to go elsewhere. I didn't mind this as it gave me tons if options for appt times. And all the doctors I've encountered have been great through Shady Grove
I loved her. I loved that she was blunt about things and her opinions... always having research to back it up too!
She doesn't always have a filter, but I loved that. She's eccentric and very knowledgeable.
Dr Esposito always took time to talk to me after our appointments, she wouldn't just rush out. She always remembered everything about us and would even stop and talk to us in the hallway. When I was in the room still for different procedures, she would run out to waiting room and let my husband know I was good. She was optimistic but honest about percentages and didn't sugar coat things. Also took time to explain anything we needed in great detail.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
The nurses are always very sweet! They talk and get to know you... they were very kind to me as I faint often when I have blood taken. Eventually got it under control, but they were soooo patient
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I loved everything about this clinic. I do want to warn you that they have many branches and if you're branch doesn't have a Dr on the day your cycle falls for transfer or IUI, you may have to go elsewhere. I didn't mind this as it gave me tons if options for appt times. And all the doctors I've encountered have been great through Shady Grove
IVF,ICSI cost about $10000 and $4000 in meds. Luckily we have insurance contracted rate which knocked it to $7000 and then insurance paid $4700 of that. So for us it was around $6400. IUI Was about $500-$700 contracted rate I think

2014 - 2016, Unsuccessful
Dr. K[ulshrestha] was absolutely amazing. She was very kind and genuinely seemed invested in our family creation. She answered our questions, was very personable, gentle and respectful. She genuinely seemed just as disappointed when we didn't get pregnant with IUI and she also appeared to try everything she could with clomid stimulation to assist...Dr. K also did two saline sonograms to ensure my uterine cavity was normal. I had an HSG prior to starting w/ Dr. K and at the time, my tubes were open and the dye passed through without incident.
[Shady Grove Fertility] does not do a great job at conveying when you would be dis-enrolled from their shared risk program. They push the "you get up to six tries and you either get a baby or your money back" jargon but they do not highlight that low response following grief can make them kick you out which adds insult to injury. This is a delicate process only complicated by losses of pregnancies or negative test results. That, was not handled delicately and we absolutely felt like we were just a number or just statistical odds rather than people.
To be honest, it was great to work with a physician who identifies as a woman. We feel comfortable at Shady Grove however, all the doctors are male while all the nurses are female. It was nice to have a woman who was kind, gentle and knowledgeable. She was truly wonderful and I wish we had the opportunity to work with her when we transitioned to IVF. Dr. K relocated to the Maryland office after our last round of IVF. We saw Dr. Martin after that who is also great (I did a review for him already). After we lost our twin daughters (Dr. Martin did that embryo transfer), both he AND Dr. K called me to express their condolences. That meant a lot and showed that even though I wasn't currently a patient of hers (because she had relocated), she was still keeping an eye on my treatment and invested in our success. I absolutely adore Dr. K.
It's ok to be vulnerable. Ask your questions and trust that she will spend the necessary time with you to make sure you feel as comfortable as possible when leaving the office.
Dr. K was absolutely amazing. She was very kind and genuinely seemed invested in our family creation. She answered our questions, was very personable, gentle and respectful. She genuinely seemed just as disappointed when we didn't get pregnant with IUI and she also appeared to try everything she could with clomid stimulation to assist.
We did the IUI portion of our treatment with Dr. K. Initially, I think we just did the monitoring with no additional stimulation. We eventually added the clomid at 50 mg and towards the end, increased it to 100 mg. I believe I also did birth control protocol prior to starting the clomid 100 mg on our last 2 tries. Monitoring was every other day or everyday as we got closer to insemination. Dr. K also did two saline sonograms to ensure my uterine cavity was normal. I had an HSG prior to starting w/ Dr. K and at the time, my tubes were open and the dye passed through without incident.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Daniella Pellicioti)
Daniela had her challenges in that she sometimes seemed a bit scattered. Initially, I was not a huge fan because of this. Having said that, Daniela was actually my FAVORITE nurse. She too, left the agency towards the end of our IUI trials but she was present for all of our inseminations. When we had a IUI w/ a different doctor, she was in the room and she really went to bat for me when I had a narrowing of the cervix. The doc (Dr. Munabi) attempted to use dilators which was extremely painful and Daniela really was amazing with me and him. She advocated for me, helped to calm me and genuinely made me feel like she had my back. I really valued her for all she did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
As mentioned in my other review (of Dr. Martin), Shady Grove Fertility (SGF) is a very well-run, well-organized facility. The staff is kind, personable, friendly and knowledgeable. Though you have a primary physician, all of the doctors tend to make you feel very comfortable and cared for. I don't have any other facility to compare it to however, sharing stories with other people having fertility challenges, I am very grateful for feeling like a human rather than a number more often than not. The one issue I have with SGF is their shared risk program. It's a great option but they do not do an efficient job at talking to you about what constitutes dis-enrollment from the program. We felt extremely blindsided by this decision from the review board and felt like they did not take into account that we experienced a loss and that grief can effect med response. Instead, we were put in a situation where we have to make very difficult decisions about moving forward because of the financial burden. I will say that through this hard time, my doctors have been kind and understanding. The decision seems to be above their heads and I think it would be helpful for there to be some kind of appeals process.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sunita Kulshrestha at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
We exclusively did IUI with Dr. K. We paid for our co-pays and for the medication. I estimate we spent between $300-$400 total on those expenses.
Dr. K had conversations with us twice about the possibility of multiples. On our last two tries of IUI, I made 8 eggs and 7 eggs (with the clomid for both). She spoke to us about eSET from a safety perspective. We were honestly a bit uncomfortable with this idea and didn't know what we would do if I did get pregnant with more than two babies. I didn't want to risk the entire pregnancy by doing the reduction procedure. When I worked with Dr. K, it was not IVF so the embryo transfer was not the issue. It was whether all the eggs I made actually fertilized.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
As mentioned previously, SGF does not do a great job at conveying when you would be dis-enrolled from their shared risk program. They push the "you get up to six tries and you either get a baby or your money back" jargon but they do not highlight that low response following grief can make them kick you out which adds insult to injury. This is a delicate process only complicated by losses of pregnancies or negative test results. That, was not handled delicately and we absolutely felt like we were just a number or just statistical odds rather than people.
Sunita Kulshrestha
2014, Successful
Dr. Bromer called me frequently to update me on the progress of our embryos, changes in our treatment plan, etc. These calls occurred on weekdays, weekends...whenever I needed to know something, he was sure be in contact with us. He also listened to and supported our reasons for electing to transfer more than one embryo...Dr. Bromer explained our options thoroughly, answered any and all questions we had, let me vent when I needed to, and was overall extremely supportive. He encouraged genetic counseling, as well as testing of our miscarried baby in order to determine what had led to the miscarriage
They [Shady Grove] worked with my insurance, scheduled appointments at times convenient for me, and were very pleasant to work with... Shared risk IVF cost $20,000, and covered up to six fresh cycles of IVF....Alyssa was amazing. She communicated with us frequently, and conveniently though email while I was at work. She was compassionate, professional, and knowledgeable....The location was convenient to the Harrisburg area, and seem to have great success rates.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Bromer explained our options thoroughly, answered any and all questions we had, let me vent when I needed to, and was overall extremely supportive. He encouraged genetic counseling, as well as testing of our miscarried baby in order to determine what had led to the miscarriage, both of which provided us with some really helpful information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Ask questions, and seek to understand your treatment. Dr. Bromer is an advocate of both, and will help you to make informed decisions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I truly don't remember the details of our fertility drugs, though I know I took Lupron both times. Our first egg retrieval yielded 8 embryos, only 2 of which were suitable for transfer. Though we achieved pregnancy, I miscarried at 8 weeks. At Dr. Bromer's suggestion, we had testing on the miscarried baby and learned that he had Klinefelter's syndrome. Our 2nd egg transfer we used ICSI. This also yielded 8 embyos, and though all had fertilized, most had done so abnormally. Only 2 were suitable for transfer. Dr. Bromer said that over two cycles our fertilization rate was on the lower end, and that it was possible that there was some undiagnosed factor impacting our fertilization, which we would want to explore should the cycle fail. Fortunately both embryos implanted, and we were blessed with boy/girl twins.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa Bold)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The location was convenient to the Harrisburg area, and seem to have great success rates. I know several couples who have successfully conceived with Shady Grove. They worked with my insurance, scheduled appointments at times convenient for me, and were very pleasant to work with.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The consultation and diagnostics were covered by my insurance. Fertility drugs cost in the neighborhood of $2500 per cycle. Shared risk IVF cost $20,000, and covered up to six fresh cycles of IVF.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Our fertility clinic promotes eSET. However for a variety of reasons, we elected to transfer both of our embryos each time we did IVF. Dr. Bromer was extremely supportive of this decision. In fact, when the doctor performing my transfer questioned and even discouraged our decision to transfer both, it was Dr. Bromer's support that helped me stand firm in our decision and insist that both be transferred, as Dr. Bromer and I had discussed. Looking at both of our beautiful kids (born full-term after an uneventful pregnancy), I'm so glad we had Dr. Bromer on our side.
Jason Bromer
Mechanicsburg

[Kara Khanh-Ha Dan Nguyen] takes the time to talk to you. I addressed my concerns of feeling depressed and not wanting to get out of bed because of the loss and not knowing why we cannot conceive. She was crying in the room with me and just listening. Not making promises....She is soft-spoken and very knowledgeable. She takes time to be with you and comfort you. She had another appointment she was late for, but she knew I was frustrated and upset. She could not check my ovaries, but made sure I got the time the following day I could come in.
The clinic [Shady Grove of PA] is clean and I'm always greeted with a smile. The team is not afraid to ask for help if they need to draw blood. The team was willing to help out when needed. When I first came I was intimidated by the size of the clinic. I was use to a smaller place. I was thinking that there is no way they will be able to help me, and I thought my husband and myself would be another number....When she [nurse] said she was going to send something, as soon as she got off the phone it was to my email. Also, Danielle in finance sent things over when I was told she would. The team has great communication.
She is soft-spoken and very knowledgeable. She takes time to be with you and comfort you. She had another appointment she was late for, but she knew I was frustrated and upset. She could not check my ovaries, but made sure I got the time the following day I could come in. She did not charge me for the visit.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, she will be honest and comforting.
She takes the time to talk to you. I addressed my concerns of feeling depressed and not wanting to get out of bed because of the loss and not knowing why we cannot conceive. She was crying in the room with me and just listening. Not making promises. I would talk poorly about my pervious doctor, and she was professional to allow me to vent, but not judge the other doctor. She explained everything to me, and gave me a plan of every option my husband and I could do next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
When she said she was going to send something, as soon as she got off the phone it was to my email. Also, Danielle in finance sent things over when I was told she would. The team has great communication.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The clinic is clean and I'm always greeted with a smile. The team is not afraid to ask for help if they need to draw blood. The team was willing to help out when needed. When I first came I was intimidated by the size of the clinic. I was use to a smaller place. I was thinking that there is no way they will be able to help me, and I thought my husband and myself would be another number.
Lancaster

My doctor [Dr. Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen] was not only friendly but she spoke in a way both my husband and I will understand. She not only showed compassion but she truly made sure we didn't feel alone. Throughout our testing phases and still through our financial hurdle we are trying to overcome to receive actual IVF treatment, she has been thorough and sympathetic...Due to the results of our genetic testing, IVF is our only option. She has explained why including risks of any other treatment along with the benefits IVF would provide once we undergo treatment.
My nurses (I have had two as on has moved onto another position) have been absolutely wonderful [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia]. I have been applying for grants non stop the last two years and each time, they have gotten back to me with all information needed in a timely manner and has wished me luck. They are truly wonderful and compassionate...This clinic used to be in Reading, PA. It was recently moved to Lancaster, PA into a building with other offices. The new office is bigger and renovated for a more appealing look than their old office. The only weakness would be the parking as they share the lot with other businesses/offices.
My doctor was not only friendly but she spoke in a way both my husband and I will understand. She not only showed compassion but she truly made sure we didn't feel alone. Throughout our testing phases and still through our financial hurdle we are trying to overcome to receive actual IVF treatment, she has been thorough and sympathetic.
She is wonderful!
Dr. Nguyen made sure both my husband and I were not only comfortable in her care but she also made sure we understood everything that was happening. She was sympathetic and offered a solution that she is STILL working on with us today.
My nurses (I have had two as on has moved onto another position) have been absolutely wonderful. I have been applying for grants non stop the last two years and each time, they have gotten back to me with all information needed in a timely manner and has wished me luck. They are truly wonderful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Roughly around 25-30k including medications and genetic testing.

2019 - 2020, Consult
Dr. Ochalski is compassionate, and knowledgable. she explained things as they really are but with a tone and understanding that these options are not to be taken lightly. She helped us as we were to start our treatments as the Coronavirus started to spread in our area. She called us multiple times to help us through the difficult time.... We saw her once for a consultation, she remembered us when we came back in. Not just our names or our chart, but us. What we do, where we work. She felt like a longtime friend.
[Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] is in an office complex, very clean and friendly. It is comfortable and has wonderful equipment. They have a communication portal that keeps everything organized. This is a branch location, but I never felt slighted.... Kayla is a great communicator, communicating through email, and through calls. She makes sure you know exactly what to expect and what you need to do next. She is friendly and compassionate.
She used facts to explain to us where we are and where we could go with our treatments. She explained different studies and showed us our own personal outcome predictions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
It is in an office complex, very clean and friendly. It is comfortable and has wonderful equipment. They have a communication portal that keeps everything organized. This is a branch location, but I never felt slighted.
Melanie Ochalski
2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr Esposito gave us Hope and Faith that she will do everything possible to help us through this process. She offered every option and let us choose what we felt was best for our family. She was kind and compassionate and very knowledgeable. She was prompt on responding and very down-to-earth when needed to be.... Our first cycle was IVF with insurance, we did gonal and menopur for our first cycle. We are getting ready to go through another cycle with the femara
Nothing everything was perfect through our process and continues to be. I would refer them [Shady Grove] at over anyone in the area. All the staff was all welcoming and loving and made connections with me and my husband....[Cost of Treatment] They are very comparable to the ones in our area. They have many options for treatment and cost... Tracy was so compassionate when I cried she cried. She felt so much love for me as a patient
I would suggest to have some good beneficial questions.
Dr. Esposito made a personal connection with both me and my husband. She made us feel comfortable. And answered every question we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mccelland)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Nothing everything was perfect through our process and continues to be. I would refer them at over anyone in the area. All the staff was all welcoming and loving and made connections with me and my husband.
None
Mechanicsburg

Dr Martin has been very friendly and treated us like we were the only patients that he has. He ensured we understood ever step of the process and continues to keep us positive and moving toward our goal...He is extremely through so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them...My wife had to use Clomid and a trigger shot for 4 TI cycles and the same for 1 IUI cycle. Each cycle the drugs were working as prescribed and we had no set backs just never got pregnant.
Hallie [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] was very responsive even when we were frazzled or emotional about things not going our way. She ensured we were comfortable and always responded in a timely manner on all emails and phone calls...Meds ranged between $25-100 and IUI procedure was $1800...The overall clinic is great. They try to schedule appointments in the most convenient fashions so it does not interfere with your day. They have very clean facilities and work with you to the best of their ability.
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr Martin was phenomenal from the first time he met us and each and every time there after. He always made sure we knew what our next step in the process is/was and makes us feel comfortable like we have the same goal and not just a number.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
He is extremely through so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Ryan Martin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Hallie)
Hallie was very responsive even when we were frazzled or emotional about things not going our way. She ensured we were comfortable and always responded in a timely manner on all emails and phone calls.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Meds ranged between $25-100 and IUI procedure was $1800.
Describe Ryan Martin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
not applicable
Ryan Martin
2017, Unknown Success
Dr Martin was the first doctor to take all the time I needed to explain with compassion the treatment protocol, my last doctor experience was terrible, I'm so thankful for meeting the right doctor and group bc now I feel comfortable with fertility treatments...I am just starting the IVF protocol, so all the treatment strategies aren't determined yet. I was recommended IVF bc of my age and the fact that I had treatments in the past that failed.
Tori [nurse at Shady Grove] was patient and followed up with me after I needed time to process the IVF decision. She's great!...So far I have nothing bad to say. Truly! This experience has been hard but 100% supportive. Everyone at the clinic I go to has been wonderful, and has taken the time to educate me and answer all my questions...24K and meds were seperate...Dr Martin was the first doctor to take all the time I needed to explain with compassion the treatment protocol, my last doctor experience was terrible, I'm so thankful for meeting the right doctor and group bc now I feel comfortable with fertility treatments.
Just listen to what he has to say ans how he explains it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Victoria Bennis)
Tori was patient and followed up with me after I needed time to process the IVF decision. She's great!
24K and meds were seperate
Dr Martin highly recommends PSG testing and for that reason will only transfer one at a time. I am pleased with this.
Ryan Martin
Center City

Dr. Munabi was compassionate but he was also realistic that this only gave us a chance to have a baby,not a guarantee. It was hard to understand him at times with his accent but otherwise we really liked him....He was friendly and personable, down to earth and honest....Just to listen to him, ask him to repeat or explain what you're unsure of....Staff [Shady Grove] was friendly and didn't treat you like a number. They remembered you by name and were so patient. They were reliable with returning communication and followed through on their word.
Staff [Shady Grove Fertility] was friendly and didn't treat you like a number. They remembered you by name and were so patient. They were reliable with returning communication and followed through on their word....It was an efficient well oiled machine. I was in, out and done within 15 minutes. Very prompt....Melanie was reliable, compassionate, honest and supportive....Dr. Munabi was compassionate but he was also realistic that this only gave us a chance to have a baby,not a guarantee.
How was your experience with Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Just to listen to him, ask him to repeat or explain what you're unsure of.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
He was friendly and personable, down to earth and honest.
Describe the protocols Abraham Munabi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I don't remember
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Melanie)
Melanie was reliable, compassionate, honest and supportive.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Staff was friendly and didn't treat you like a number. They remembered you by name and were so patient. They were reliable with returning communication and followed through on their word.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Abraham Munabi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Abraham Munabi (retired)
Center City

Shady Grove Fertility is very organized and the entire team has been entirely supportive, and in touch through my entire journey. My only recommendation would be that sometimes it's hard to reach the front desk and voice messages left are not responded to promptly...[Dr. Caleb Kallen] took time to explain the entire IVF process in detail to both me and my husband. He also personally called to reassure and give confidence when the first transfer did not go our way...It was absolutely wonderful to have Dr Kallen as my doctor. He is very sincere and my experience with him was that he took time to explain every detail of the IVF treatment and also give confidence throughout my journey...Dr Kallen recommended single embryo transfer and also provided more details on why it is more favourable...It is best to ask questions through the entire process if you think something is unclear or not explained.
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr Kallen took time to explain the entire IVF process in detail to both me and my husband. He also personally called to reassure and give confidence when the first transfer did not go our way.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Mostly covered by insurance.
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
2019, Consult
She [Dr. Esposito] was great and very good at expaining everything to us. Answered all of our questions and made very good suggestions for our situation. We didnt feel so lost and overwhelmed when we left our consultation... Take a list of questions with you and she will answer every single one... [Eset Approach] Yes prefers using only 1 at a time... She took the time to explain everything in detail unlike my previous fertility clinic
[Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia is] Very organized. Responds quickly by phone email or patient portal if any questions. Easy to get appointments with a not so flexible work schedule. Billing department is also great and very helpful in picking the right financial plan... Tracey is an excellent fertility coordinator and has empathy and compassion in what she does... She [Dr. Esposito] took the time to explain everything in detail unlike my previous fertility clinic
She was great and very good at expaining everything to us. Answered all of our questions and made very good suggestions for our situation. We didnt feel so lost and overwhelmed when we left our consultation
Take a list of questions with you and she will answer every single one
She took the time to explain everything in detail unlike my previous fertility clinic Dr. Filer
We didnt have our 2nd cycle yet. We just switched to this new clinic
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Not available yet since we are still deciding on whats financially best for us
Yes prefers using only 1 at a time
Mechanicsburg

After going through all my options [with Dr. Schumacher] IVF seemed the best option for my husband and myself. We did the injectables for the egg retrieval, and then after the genetic testing and trial that I was in did the transfer of 1 embryo...reached out personally via phone call or email throughout the lengthy IVF process with updates and words of encouragement which was very surprising and unexpected...She made an intimidating topic of infertility very relatable and made
Since I was in a trial I could only have single embryo transfer [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia]...Everyone in the Chesterbrook location is great. You really start to feel like part of a family. (Esp since you will be there every other day some weeks). No matter if I saw someone for the first time or the 10th time I felt very comfortable with everyone I interacted with...Everyone always had a smile and recognized me by name only after a few visits. I was able to get ahold of anyone I needed to and all emails were responded to in a very timely manner.
How was your experience with Brianna Schumacher at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Schumacher. She made an intimidating topic of infertility very relatable and made sure she took the time to get to know you, explain everything and helped guide you all the way through your process. She pleasantly surprised me how involved she was throughout the whole process. Not only was she on hands, after every procedure or core updates she sent me a personal email or phone call to update me on the status along with words of encouragement. She definitely made you feel that you could get through anything even though at times it may be difficult. If I could stay with her to a live birth I would have loved to. I STRONGLY recommend Dr. Schumacher!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brianna Schumacher at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
If you are hesitant or nervous it is worth it. She will make you feel comfortable and explain everything in a way you will understand. She will find the best solution for YOU and your situation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brianna Schumacher at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Schumacher reached out personally via phone call or email throughout the lengthy IVF process with updates and words of encouragement which was very surprising and unexpected.
Describe the protocols Brianna Schumacher used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Due to my age (above 35) and previously having a misscarriage with no lives births in my history, she went over all my options with percentages of outcomes of a live birth. After going through all my options IVF seemed the best option for my husband and myself. We did the injectables for the egg retrieval, and then after the genetic testing and trial that I was in did the transfer of 1 embryo. Blood work and ultrasounds were completed frequently and meds adjusted as needed to get the best possible outcome. I can safely say that I am 10 weeks pregnant and excited to start this next chapter in my life.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Annika)
Everyone in Shady Grove Chesterbrook was amazing, from the nurses, coordinators, doctors, staff that took blood and front staff. Everyone always had a smile and recognized me by name only after a few visits. I was able to get ahold of anyone I needed to and all emails were responded to in a very timely manner.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Monitoring appointments were done in a specific window during the week. I was fortunate that I was able to make it work with my schedule and it not conflict too much with my work schedule.
Describe Brianna Schumacher's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Since I was in a trial I could only have single embryo transfer. Since this was my first IVF cycle, Dr Schumacher also wanted to make sure that we had 1 perfect embryo transferred rather than taking out chances with multiple for our first IVF transfer.
Brianna Schumacher
Chadds Ford (closed)
Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant on the first cycle of fertility treatment with non-invasive treatment. I was thrilled to have such fast results. I think Dr. Kallen really cares about his patients, and clearly knows the research and medicine behind fertility care. Sometimes, I felt that I had trouble communicating with him during appointments...We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse...answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly...explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
She [nurse at Shady Grove] always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions...This clinic is very efficient in scheduling appointments fast. The wait time is very short, and they do well with monitoring you closely even on the weekends. They schedule urgent appointments very fast. They are also extremely reliable in returning calls to patient. They will spend as long as needed on the phone with you to answer your questions. The office is also very nice.
Go into it with an open mind and remember that he is there to solely help you get pregnant.
Dr. Kallen and his staff answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly. Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant during our first cycle with non-invasive treatment.
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse. We got pregnant on the first cycle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie Cancel)
Bonnie Cancel was amazing! She always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions. Bonnie is amazing! I was lucky to have her as much my care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Costs were reasonable. Our insurance helped pay for a significant portion of the treatment. We were left with reasonable costs. I would say total we spent less than $1000 including all of the testing, doctors appointments, ultrasounds.
Dr. Kallen explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
Center City

I Would Have Appreciated More Information [from Dr. Caleb Kallen] As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone...I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects....In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results.
[Shady Grove Fertility Center City] Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly"...I Think That Most Of The Team, Except For Nurse Bonnie Treated Me As If I Was A Number. There Was No Warmth, Genuine Care, Or Compassion Other Than Nurse Bonnie. As For Doctor Kallen, I Rarely Saw Him But The Few Times That We Did Meet Or Our Phone Appointment, I Felt That He Treated Me Like A Human.
Initially When I Read The Reviews Online For All Of The Fertility Doctors At Shady Grove Fertility I Remember Whispering "Please Don't Let Me Get Dr. Kallen, He Sounds So Mean And Cold". I Scheduled My Consultation And Sure Enough I Was Assigned To Dr. Kallen. I Was So Worried But I Went In With An Optimistic Approach And Believed That Maybe All Of Those Negative Reviewers Had Him Wrong. In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results. He Did Not Perform My IUI Which I Was Shocked To Find Out When 2 Women Walked Into The Room But I Understand He Can't Be Everywhere At Once. He Explained Everything As It Appeared And Let Me Know Whenever There Was A Small Moment Of Concern. Although He Seems Like He Could Use A Big Hug Or A Few Laughs, Dr. Kallen Was Exactly What Was Best For My Journey In The End.
Please Be Open-Minded With Dr. Kallen's Personality. He Shows His Warmth And Passion In Other Forms. Don't Expect For Him To Make You Laugh Or Smile But To Assist In Making Your Dreams Of A Family A Reality.
My Treatment Strategy Was A Natural IUI Cycle Using Donor Sperm From A Sperm Bank. I Had Recently Went Into Preterm Labor With Twins And Was No Longer Involved With The Father. I Did Various Forms Of Bloodwork, Dr. Kallen Checked Out My Egg Count, I Ordered 2 Vials From California Cryobank, I Checked Ovulation Using One Digital Ovulation Kit And Strips To Compare, Once I Got My LH Surge I Was Scheduled For My IUI The Next Morning, Started Vaginal Progesterone The Following Morning For Whatever Reason I Was Not Given An Explanation, Got My BFP 2 Weeks Later, SGF Checked That My HCG Levels Were Rising, And Then Brought Me In To Count The Sacs.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Only Have Positive Things To Say About Nurse Bonnie C. She Just Has This Warmth And Genuine Care For The Work That She Does, What It Means To Her Patients, And She's Overall A Very Happy And Uplifting Nurse. I Was Assigned To A Nurse Lindsay After Bonnie And We NEVER Met In Person, She Wasn't Knowledgeable About So Much I Felt Like I Was Her Nurse, And Was Relieved When She Said She Would No Longer Be Employed There But Her Patients Were Being Transferred To Another Nurse. Unfortunately, I Didn't Feel That The Next Nurse Was Reachable & Probably Spoke To Her Twice And Contacted By Others On Her Behalf Maybe 3-4 Times. I Would've Preferred Nurse Bonnie Throughout The Entire Process, She's A Spectacular Balance To Dr. Kallen's Dry Personality.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Have Already Recommended My Best Friend And She Brought Up How She Was Treated Like A Number Or Dollar Sign From The Beginning After They Found Out Her Financial Status Which Is Complete Opposite Of My Own. The Clinic Shows Its Weakness In Delivering The Same Services To Those Of Various Financial Status. The Receptionist Needs To Seek Other Employment. She (Camille, I Believe Is Her Name) Gets Frustrated And Overwhelmed Easily And By Late Afternoon Her Fake Smile And Approach Is Rude And Snappy. The Clinic's Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly".
The Costs Was All Out Of Pocket For Me. It Was A Lot Cheaper Than I Expected. My Insurance Was Not Accepted. Discounts Not Really Explained Came In Handy. I Filled Out Paperwork With A Financial Counselor Of Sorts And NEVER HEARD FROM HER. She Is A Terrible! Doesn't Answer Phone Calls, Emails, Or Voicemails. The Sperm Donor Vials Were The Most Expensive From California Cryobank.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I Would Have Appreciated More Information As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone The Morning After The IUI And Notified Before Beginning Of How Long I Was Supposed To Be Taking This Potentially Dangerous Medication. I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects.