7.3

Philadelphia
1515 Market St
Philadelphia, PA 19102
610.667.1070

Dr. Ochalski is a caring professional. She listen to our concerns about continuing IUIs and also our worries about IVF to help us come to a conclusion that was best for us. She did not pressure us into anything and was there for support through our choices. ...Dr. Ochalski made us feel like humans, first by getting to know us. She knows our names, our story and why we came to her. She has excellent bedside manor but tells us what we need to hear. She also took it upon herself to be in contact with me during the COVID-19 pandemic. We had a plan to begin our first IVF cycle when our clinic was a.) worried about being shut down and then b.) shutting down new treatments.(I had just finished a week of BC pills and was scheduled to start injections as the pandemic exploded.) She did not ask a nurse to call or give advice and support, she called herself, daily, as things were changing daily at that point.
Shady Grove Fertility has a strong sense of community. It is very clean and organized. They have a portal to receive emails and where everything is easy to get access. They are easy to get a hold of when you call and they maintain a high sense of professionalism. ... Kayla is great at maintaining communication and explanations when needed!
How was your experience with Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
If you’re thinking about it, go see her! ASAP! She’s worth it!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melanie Ochalski at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Melanie Ochalski used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
She helped us determine if continuing IUIs would be benifical or if IVF would be a good next step. We are diagnosed with unexplained infertility and we had a poor experience with a previous doctor who was pushing us in a direction we did not understand and we were not getting support or answers. She was able to provide those explanations and made us feel comfortable with our choose to continue with IVF after she helped us discover a potential male factor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Kayla)
Kayla is great at maintaining communication and explanations when needed!
Lancaster

[Dr. Melissa Esposito] She validated my feelings of despair, allowed me to cry it out then explained how she could help...she was following my progress and even personally called to let me know my IVF cycle was canceled due to COVID 19...[she] recommends single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples...The first cycle I did 5mg for 5 days. My follicles didn't respond so I was given Clomid for 5 days...the next 2 cycles I alternated 5mg and 7.5mg for a total of 5 days
I have/had a lot of questions and my nurse [of SGF Philadelphia] was always very timely in her responses...[staff]They always greeted me by name so it made you feel welcome...I had a $40 copay for each time I met with Dr. Esposito and for each ultrasound performed during monitoring. Medication for each timed intercourse cycle was between $89-$90. IVF was about $23,000...[Dr. Esposito] She gave me the science behind everything which is what I needed and together we came up with a plan
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I can't say enough positive things about Dr. Esposito. She validated my feelings of despair, allowed me to cry it out then explained how she could help. She gave me the science behind everything which is what I needed and together we came up with a plan that everyone was comfortable with. Even though I didn't see her for most of my monitoring sessions, I know she was following my progress and even personally called to let me know my IVF cycle was canceled due to COVID 19. I know that couldn't have been easy for her. I left my consult with hope. During timed intercourse she adjusted my medication as needed and explained everything. I felt well taken care of!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Be open and honest with her about your goals and what you are comfortable doing. She was customize your treatment for you but will take your feelings and desires into consideration.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
When my husband and I had our consult, we had just suffered our third miscarriage with no previous live births. Achieving our dream of building a family together seemed so hopeless. We had been trying for over 2 years. Dr. Esposito let me cry and explained how she could help us. She was so positive she could help us achieve our goal and explained the whole process to us including our options. I left that appointment with more hope than I expected and I felt like she was on our team, fighting beside us.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
I did 3 cycles of timed intercourse using Letrozole. The first cycle I did 5mg for 5 days. My follicles didn't respond so I was given Clomid for 5 days. I then had an over response. For the next 2 cycles I alternated 5mg and 7.5mg for a total of 5 days. That seemed to be the right dosage for me because by cycle day 10 or 11 I was ready for my trigger shot. My body responded well to everything, the follicles grew as they were supposed to but none of the cycles ended with a pregnancy. After speaking with Dr. Esposito we decided to go straight to IVF. We were getting ready to start our first IVF cycle when it got canceled due to COVID 19.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
I have/had a lot of questions and my nurse was always very timely in her responses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They were very timely and easy to work with. They always greeted me by name so it made you feel welcome. The clinic was very light and calming. The whole staff have been great to work with, no complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe Melissa Esposito's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
My doctor recommends single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples.

2019 - 2020, Consult
Dr. Ochalski is compassionate, and knowledgable. she explained things as they really are but with a tone and understanding that these options are not to be taken lightly. She helped us as we were to start our treatments as the Coronavirus started to spread in our area. She called us multiple times to help us through the difficult time.... We saw her once for a consultation, she remembered us when we came back in. Not just our names or our chart, but us. What we do, where we work. She felt like a longtime friend.
[Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] is in an office complex, very clean and friendly. It is comfortable and has wonderful equipment. They have a communication portal that keeps everything organized. This is a branch location, but I never felt slighted.... Kayla is a great communicator, communicating through email, and through calls. She makes sure you know exactly what to expect and what you need to do next. She is friendly and compassionate.
She used facts to explain to us where we are and where we could go with our treatments. She explained different studies and showed us our own personal outcome predictions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
It is in an office complex, very clean and friendly. It is comfortable and has wonderful equipment. They have a communication portal that keeps everything organized. This is a branch location, but I never felt slighted.

2020, Unsuccessful
Most items are not covered by insurance but their [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia's] billing team claims that they are. Check with your insurance directly before you get a huge bill...Not good [experience with Dr. Ochalski] from the male perspective...I was on a medication that reduced sperm count short term and told her...she made me take the sperm test right away knowing this. She then called me up and told me I had a sperm count of 1. Went again to take my sperm test over independently and had over 110 Million sperm in the sample. How could a "fertility expert" make such a reckless mistake!!! Not good for the male!!! Do the sperm test independently.
Not good from the male perspective. Was on a medication that lowered my sperm count temporarily. Made sure that she was aware of this. Told me to take the sperm count anyways. She called me up and recklessly told me I had 1 living sperm in the sample and that I needed to see the "excellent" urologist in Towson, MD. I went to see a urologist independent in Lancaster after I was off the medication and ended up with a sperm count of 110 Million. She gave me a lame excuse, but the mental trauma was still there from her misdiagnosis. How could a so-called "fertility expert" make such a bad diagnosis?
Do as much as you can independently of SGF.
Not good from the male perspective...I was on a medication that reduced sperm count short term and told her...she made me take the sperm test right away knowing this. She then called me up and told me I had a sperm count of 1. Went again to take my sperm test over independently and had over 110 Million sperm in the sample. How could a "fertility expert" make such a reckless mistake!!! Not good for the male!!! Do the sperm test independently.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Nurse Amy)
Did everything that the Doctor told her to do even though I told her that I was on the medication as well. Did not go back to Ochalski to confirm.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Do as much as you can independently. They try to lead you in with misinformation and trap you. Most items are not covered by insurance but their billing team claims that they are. Check with your insurance directly before you get a huge bill.
Lancaster

I actually only had one cycle with Dr. Nguyen. She upped the dosage of clomid and put me immediately on progesterone after my iui. I became pregnant with that iui... I loved that Dr. Nguyen said it cannot hurt to take the progesterone - we won’t waste that week following your Iui. It could have been the missing link to those three failed iuis with the previous practice!...took a more aggressive approach and I actually did get pregnant with my first iui cycle!! Unfortunately, I lost my precious little one at 12 weeks. I am about to start up treatment again and had a second consultation with Dr. Nguyen. She was very supportive. I’m hopeful, but it looks like maybe IVF makes the most sense for us... unfortunately we cannot afford it... so we will probably try Iui again! I have been very pleased with everyone at Shady Grove.
I have no complaints at all [about Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia]. The clinic is nice and clean. There are lots of locations. The portal was very helpful to keep track of appointments and to email your team with questions. It has all been a very pleasant experience...I have been very pleased with everyone at Shady Grove...She [nurse] was on the ball with everything and took the time to talk to me and answer my questions always. She would always call me back if she missed my call. She just really made things easier. Sadly, Morgan is going to a new practice so I will have a new nurse when I begin treatment again.
How was your experience with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Nguyen explained everything in a way to help me understand a little better and she took plenty of time to answer my questions. Also, after I lost my pregnancy, Dr. Nguyen called me to check on me which I appreciated so much. She let me know they were here for me when I was ready to start up again. I was having a tough time with my schedule (when I decided to go for my second consultation) and Dr. Nguyen actually agreed to have my second consultation over the phone. I just really think the world of her ... actully all of the doctors that I’ve met at Shady Grove were great!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Nguyen has been so incredibly sweet and helpful during this stressful time. I went to a different practice originally and was pretty unhappy. I took a little break and decided to go for a consultation at Shady Grove. Dr. Nguyen took a more aggressive approach and I actually did get pregnant with my first iui cycle!! Unfortunately, I lost my precious little one at 12 weeks. I am about to start up treatment again and had a second consultation with Dr. Nguyen. She was very supportive. I’m hopeful, but it looks like maybe IVF makes the most sense for us... unfortunately we cannot afford it... so we will probably try Iui again! I have been very pleased with everyone at Shady Grove.
Describe the protocols Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Morgan)
Morgan was so awesome!!!! She was on the ball with everything and took the time to talk to me and answer my questions always. She would always call me back if she missed my call. She just really made things easier. Sadly, Morgan is going to a new practice so I will have a new nurse when I begin treatment again.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I have no complaints at all. The clinic is nice and clean. There are lots of locations. The portal was very helpful to keep track of appointments and to email your team with questions. It has all been a very pleasant experience.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I was lucky in that my insurance covered the iui. I just To fulfill my co pays until I reached my out of pocket max. Ivf, however, is not covered and I am waiting to hear from someone from finance to go over prices. One positive thing is the ivf, I believe, is guaranteed and if you do not conceive, I believe you are reimbursed. I need to fully confirm that but that is what I heard on the radio advertisement for sgf.
Describe Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I just loved that Dr. Nguyen didn’t waste any time and she took all precautions for me. The previous practice I went to tested my blood the week following iui to decide whether or not I would need progesterone ... my levels were good after my first iui so they never put me on progesterone and never tested me again. I loved that Dr. Nguyen said it cannot hurt to take the progesterone - we won’t waste that week following your Iui. It could have been the missing link to those three failed iuis with the previous practice!
Mechanicsburg

At first it was all good. Now it’s like he [Dr. Caleb Kallen] don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .... Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me... He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication
There [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia- Center Center is] very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.... The nurse staff are nice but when talking to a nurse she just like him. They don’t care because it’s not them
How was your experience with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Caleb treated me as if I was money. Not a person. It upsets me because he don’t work around nor does he help with the situation. He basically makes you feel like your worthless. Thank god he won’t be my doctor anymore
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure he don’t treat you like money. Make sure when your paying cash for everything you accually get the time you payed for and the resolves of the work you have done
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
At first it was all good. Now it’s like he don’t care about any of his patients. When getting and ultrasound done he litterly wouldn’t let any pictures nor did he give me any medical records. I just felt like I was $ in his eyes and that’s all .
Describe the protocols Caleb Kallen used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Ivf. He says clamping the tubes before transfer. That’s all he told me
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
There very clean. The lady at the front desk is amazing and I love her !! She helps a lot and gave me a bunch of ivf financial routs that she known of. They need to keep her .. well for the others They talk nice but with a attitude. They lack on care , communication, organization. They really lack of checking on patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Caleb Kallen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
He wants to me pay 30,000$ for 6 cycles and that’s with out medication. Very crazy . That’s not the price for all the lab work and stuff before .
Describe Caleb Kallen's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I really have nothing. He treated me so horrible and I can’t wait to go to cny fertility
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They never called me for the resaults on my egg count. I had to call and they told me to use the portal because no one was able to speak to me about the resaults. The blood work they never called me for as well I had to bug them in messages in the portal in order to get them
Center City

Dr. Nguyen made sure to answer all the questions that I had and helped give me a realistic picture of the next steps we need to take. I felt that she was straightforward while being somewhat sensitive to my feelings. ... I did feel that she pushed IVF over IUI or timed cycles without having all the diagnostic information. ... she was flexible with working with my limited insurance and allowed me to move some testing back until I felt comfortable.
I also like that you have a dedicated nurse and financial counselor that you can always reach out to for help. The negatives are that the it's [Shady Grove Fertility] so big that its run like a machine so you get less personalized treatment. I also think there are issues with how effective the front desk/records/phlebotomy staff are. Took two weeks for my records to get into my file even though I called to confirm that they made it there twice!
I have not had any additional experience with Dr. Nguyen yet except for diagnostic testing but she was flexible with working with my limited insurance and allowed me to move some testing back until I felt comfortable. I did feel that she pushed IVF over IUI or timed cycles without having all the diagnostic information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Make sure to do your own research and have an idea of what type of treatment plan works for you. Shady grove is a huge machine like clinic so they have pre-prescribed plans the doctors follow. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need.
The office is pleasant and everyone is welcoming. Dr. Nguyen made sure to answer all the questions that I had and helped give me a realistic picture of the next steps we need to take. I felt that she was straightforward while being somewhat sensitive to my feelings.
So far I've only had diagnostic testing with Dr. Nguyen but she seems very efficient.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy Cicero)
Amy was always a call or email away and would get back to me right away within the same day. They are slow to update/find test results and records but I think that falls more on the receptionists than Amy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Strengths are that there are lots of locations and doctors and they have lots of success getting people pregnant. I also like that you have a dedicated nurse and financial counselor that you can always reach out to for help. The negatives are that the it's so big that its run like a machine so you get less personalized treatment. I also think there are issues with how effective the front desk/records/phlebotomy staff are. Took two weeks for my records to get into my file even though I called to confirm that they made it there twice!
The planned cycle for IUI was quoted at $2400 out of pocket without insurance which we will be completing next month. We paid $300 for a genetic screen, $400 for husband's initial bloodwork (but without insurance) and $800 for an HSG (with insurance and performed at shady grove)
No applicable to my treatment.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Lost paperwork and records. Took a lot of time to be updated with results, especially if they came from an outside lab.
Lancaster

Dr. Nguyen called me after I informed her office of my miscarriage to check in and see how I was doing. She broached the subject of next steps only after she was certain I was alright—she even sent me information for counselors who could help me...She fully explained all initial diagnostic procedures and made sure I understood what they were and why they were needed...Dr. Nguyen is very knowledgeable and patient and caring and is happy to answer any questions and address any concerns.
Every single person I’ve interacted with at SGF [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] has been so kind...The ladies at the desk know me by name and can answer any questions I have when I call. The office itself is brand new (the Camp Hill location moved to Mechanicsburg in 2018/2019) and is very nice. The whole atmosphere is so calming when you’re there...
From the very first time I met her, Dr. Nguyen made me feel like I could conquer the world. She fully explained all initial diagnostic procedures and made sure I understood what they were and why they were needed. When I told her my biggest fear was doing all the tests and having it come back as unexplained infertility, she said “it might, and if it does, we can treat that too.” I felt so confident after that initial meeting. Unfortunately my results came back as low AMH/high FSH and she had to explain that the chances of my getting pregnant on my own and even using my own eggs for IVF were not good and that we should think about how we’d like to move forward. By some miracle I ended up getting pregnant shortly after that—however, that pregnancy ended in a miscarriage at 9-1/2 weeks. Dr. Nguyen called me after I informed her office of my miscarriage to check in and see how I was doing. She broached the subject of next steps only after she was certain I was alright—she even sent me information for counselors who could help me through such an emotional time. At our next meeting, she explained again that my chances of getting pregnant on my own or an IVF cycle with my own eggs was not likely given my hormone levels however, since I was fortunate enough to have infertility coverage through my insurance at my job, she was willing to try. She told us, “I want to give you the best shot at having a baby, but I also want to be mindful of the insurance coverage you have and the financial strain of these procedures.” I’ve never once had a doctor who was concerned about a patient’s financing! We tried one cycle of IVF which had to be adjusted to an IUI cycle due to my ovaries not responding to the meds. That cycle, unfortunately, ended with a negative pregnancy test. Our next step is IVF with donor eggs—which will not be covered by my insurance.
I think the advice I would give to anyone is to ask as many questions as you can think of! Dr. Nguyen is very knowledgeable and patient and caring and is happy to answer any questions and address any concerns.
Dr. Nguyen is a very compassionate doctor. Each time I’ve seen her or spoke with her she starts the conversations wanting to know how I’m doing and what my expectations are. She has never once pressured me to do something I am not on board with; in fact, she has stated multiple times, “I’m here for whatever you want to do. You tell me what path you want to take and I will help you along that path.” Even when my odds of success with IVF using my own eggs, she let me try so that I wouldn’t have to live with the feelings of “what if.”
I was on Lupron for about 7 days and then was on menopur and gonal-f with an HCG trigger shot. With my hormone levels, my body did not react as other people’s would have and I only had one mature follicle by the time retrieval would have occurred. Because of this, I was switched to an IUI cycle as Dr. Nguyen did not think it was prudent to do retrieval for only one egg—which I agreed. The main reason she let me even go through with it was because my insurance was covering the bulk of the process and I didn’t want to not try it and then always wonder if it would have worked.
I started off with a nurse named Amy. She was very responsive to my messages and either had the answer when responding or told me she would find out and get back to me (which she did). Amy left that office and I was assigned Kristen. Like Amy, Kristen was quick to respond to any of my messages and thoughtful with her answers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Every single person I’ve interacted with at SGF has been so kind. One thing that really struck my on my first meeting was a basket of cutout paper hearts and there were messages on them like “we are here for you” and “you’ve got this!” and I thought that was just going the extra step to show they care about their patients. The ladies at the desk know me by name and can answer any questions I have when I call. The office itself is brand new (the Camp Hill location moved to Mechanicsburg in 2018/2019) and is very nice. The whole atmosphere is so calming when you’re there.
My insurance thankfully covered a lot of the costs or partially covered. The meds were very expensive (I think $7k if I ordered through one of the pharmacies they recommended) so I ordered from overseas and it cost half that amount (but not covered by insurance).
No comment applicable for me currently, but she is in favor of single embryo transfer.
Philadelphia

[Kara Khanh-Ha Dan Nguyen] takes the time to talk to you. I addressed my concerns of feeling depressed and not wanting to get out of bed because of the loss and not knowing why we cannot conceive. She was crying in the room with me and just listening. Not making promises....She is soft-spoken and very knowledgeable. She takes time to be with you and comfort you. She had another appointment she was late for, but she knew I was frustrated and upset. She could not check my ovaries, but made sure I got the time the following day I could come in.
The clinic [Shady Grove of PA] is clean and I'm always greeted with a smile. The team is not afraid to ask for help if they need to draw blood. The team was willing to help out when needed. When I first came I was intimidated by the size of the clinic. I was use to a smaller place. I was thinking that there is no way they will be able to help me, and I thought my husband and myself would be another number....When she [nurse] said she was going to send something, as soon as she got off the phone it was to my email. Also, Danielle in finance sent things over when I was told she would. The team has great communication.
She is soft-spoken and very knowledgeable. She takes time to be with you and comfort you. She had another appointment she was late for, but she knew I was frustrated and upset. She could not check my ovaries, but made sure I got the time the following day I could come in. She did not charge me for the visit.
Do not be afraid to ask questions, she will be honest and comforting.
She takes the time to talk to you. I addressed my concerns of feeling depressed and not wanting to get out of bed because of the loss and not knowing why we cannot conceive. She was crying in the room with me and just listening. Not making promises. I would talk poorly about my pervious doctor, and she was professional to allow me to vent, but not judge the other doctor. She explained everything to me, and gave me a plan of every option my husband and I could do next.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy )
When she said she was going to send something, as soon as she got off the phone it was to my email. Also, Danielle in finance sent things over when I was told she would. The team has great communication.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The clinic is clean and I'm always greeted with a smile. The team is not afraid to ask for help if they need to draw blood. The team was willing to help out when needed. When I first came I was intimidated by the size of the clinic. I was use to a smaller place. I was thinking that there is no way they will be able to help me, and I thought my husband and myself would be another number.
Lancaster

My doctor [Dr. Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen] was not only friendly but she spoke in a way both my husband and I will understand. She not only showed compassion but she truly made sure we didn't feel alone. Throughout our testing phases and still through our financial hurdle we are trying to overcome to receive actual IVF treatment, she has been thorough and sympathetic...Due to the results of our genetic testing, IVF is our only option. She has explained why including risks of any other treatment along with the benefits IVF would provide once we undergo treatment.
My nurses (I have had two as on has moved onto another position) have been absolutely wonderful [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia]. I have been applying for grants non stop the last two years and each time, they have gotten back to me with all information needed in a timely manner and has wished me luck. They are truly wonderful and compassionate...This clinic used to be in Reading, PA. It was recently moved to Lancaster, PA into a building with other offices. The new office is bigger and renovated for a more appealing look than their old office. The only weakness would be the parking as they share the lot with other businesses/offices.
My doctor was not only friendly but she spoke in a way both my husband and I will understand. She not only showed compassion but she truly made sure we didn't feel alone. Throughout our testing phases and still through our financial hurdle we are trying to overcome to receive actual IVF treatment, she has been thorough and sympathetic.
She is wonderful!
Dr. Nguyen made sure both my husband and I were not only comfortable in her care but she also made sure we understood everything that was happening. She was sympathetic and offered a solution that she is STILL working on with us today.
My nurses (I have had two as on has moved onto another position) have been absolutely wonderful. I have been applying for grants non stop the last two years and each time, they have gotten back to me with all information needed in a timely manner and has wished me luck. They are truly wonderful and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Roughly around 25-30k including medications and genetic testing.
Mechanicsburg

I did find it kind of odd that we were offered the option to do IUI from the get-go, if we chose to. I also wondered about investigating more into the cause of my infertility. Overall I trust her [Dr. Kara Khanh-HaNguyen] experience and her bedside manner is great....First cycle we tried 50mg clomid, trigger shot and timed intercourse. Because the clomid dried me out, we moved to IUI. We did 100 mg and have different results each cycle (sometimes multiple eggs, sometimes 1). We also did trigger shot and progesterone. The third IUI my lining was thin so we added estrogen. All cycles were negative.
I had several nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia].Kristen was really great and helpful. Alyssa was not quite as helpful over email...The financial counselor was not great. She went over things very quickly and was not able to offer much guidance or help with certain items. Very vague and didn’t want to spend much time talking until we actually decided to do IVF...I did find it kind of odd that we were offered the option to do IUI from the get-go, if we chose to. I also wondered about investigating more into the cause of my infertility.
Kara was very friendly and followed up after each failed IUI. I did find it kind of odd that we were offered the option to do IUI from the get-go, if we chose to. I also wondered about investigating more into the cause of my infertility. Overall I trust her experience and her bedside manner is great.
Ask plenty of questions.
Kara called to follow up after each failed IUI.
I had several nurses. Kristen was really great and helpful. Alyssa was not quite as helpful over email.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I had insurance. IVF was about $2500 with insurance, $4500 for meds and $1800 for freezing.
2017 - 2019, Successful
Dr Esposito gave us Hope and Faith that she will do everything possible to help us through this process. She offered every option and let us choose what we felt was best for our family. She was kind and compassionate and very knowledgeable. She was prompt on responding and very down-to-earth when needed to be.... Our first cycle was IVF with insurance, we did gonal and menopur for our first cycle. We are getting ready to go through another cycle with the femara
Nothing everything was perfect through our process and continues to be. I would refer them [Shady Grove] at over anyone in the area. All the staff was all welcoming and loving and made connections with me and my husband....[Cost of Treatment] They are very comparable to the ones in our area. They have many options for treatment and cost... Tracy was so compassionate when I cried she cried. She felt so much love for me as a patient
I would suggest to have some good beneficial questions.
Dr. Esposito made a personal connection with both me and my husband. She made us feel comfortable. And answered every question we had.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mccelland)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Nothing everything was perfect through our process and continues to be. I would refer them at over anyone in the area. All the staff was all welcoming and loving and made connections with me and my husband.
None
Mechanicsburg
My nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] was my right hand woman, they knew what I was going through and were passionate with getting me all the process...I felt like she [Dr. Khanh-Ha Nguyen] treated me like a human because she took her time with my husband and I, reviewed all my previous records before our consultation from the dr I did my previous cycle with. Explained everything start to finish on the process. We were so comfortable with her and so happy that she cared so much about our journey...Even when my husband asked every question you could think she was patient and knew all the answers and best way to proceed. I feel like she is a part of our family even though our first cycle didn't turn out as we planned, she was right by our side to let us know she cared.
She always took her time with us explaining every detail of everything. She is so passionate and actually cares about us and our journey. She has made personal phone calls to us herself and to give us exciting news about our embryos. Even when my husband asked every question you could think she was patient and knew all the answers and best way to proceed. I feel like she is a part of our family even though our first cycle didn't turn out as we planned, she was right by our side to let us know she cared.
Go into your consultation with an open mind and be patient as she explains every detail of your journey. As much as it is frustrating she is rooting for you!
I felt like she treated me like a human because she took her time with my husband and I, reviewed all my previous records before our consultation from the dr I did my previous cycle with. Explained everything start to finish on the process. We were so comfortable with her and so happy that she cared so much about our journey.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Amy Ciero and Kristin Brodsky)
My nurse was my right hand woman, they knew what I was going through and were passionate with getting me all the process.
Kara Khanh-Ha Nguyen

Shady Grove Fertility is very organized and the entire team has been entirely supportive, and in touch through my entire journey. My only recommendation would be that sometimes it's hard to reach the front desk and voice messages left are not responded to promptly...[Dr. Caleb Kallen] took time to explain the entire IVF process in detail to both me and my husband. He also personally called to reassure and give confidence when the first transfer did not go our way...It was absolutely wonderful to have Dr Kallen as my doctor. He is very sincere and my experience with him was that he took time to explain every detail of the IVF treatment and also give confidence throughout my journey...Dr Kallen recommended single embryo transfer and also provided more details on why it is more favourable...It is best to ask questions through the entire process if you think something is unclear or not explained.
Dr Kallen took time to explain the entire IVF process in detail to both me and my husband. He also personally called to reassure and give confidence when the first transfer did not go our way.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Mostly covered by insurance.
2019, Consult
She [Dr. Esposito] was great and very good at expaining everything to us. Answered all of our questions and made very good suggestions for our situation. We didnt feel so lost and overwhelmed when we left our consultation... Take a list of questions with you and she will answer every single one... [Eset Approach] Yes prefers using only 1 at a time... She took the time to explain everything in detail unlike my previous fertility clinic
[Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia is] Very organized. Responds quickly by phone email or patient portal if any questions. Easy to get appointments with a not so flexible work schedule. Billing department is also great and very helpful in picking the right financial plan... Tracey is an excellent fertility coordinator and has empathy and compassion in what she does... She [Dr. Esposito] took the time to explain everything in detail unlike my previous fertility clinic
She was great and very good at expaining everything to us. Answered all of our questions and made very good suggestions for our situation. We didnt feel so lost and overwhelmed when we left our consultation
Take a list of questions with you and she will answer every single one
She took the time to explain everything in detail unlike my previous fertility clinic Dr. Filer
We didnt have our 2nd cycle yet. We just switched to this new clinic
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tracey)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Not available yet since we are still deciding on whats financially best for us
Yes prefers using only 1 at a time
Mechanicsburg

After going through all my options [with Dr. Schumacher] IVF seemed the best option for my husband and myself. We did the injectables for the egg retrieval, and then after the genetic testing and trial that I was in did the transfer of 1 embryo...reached out personally via phone call or email throughout the lengthy IVF process with updates and words of encouragement which was very surprising and unexpected...She made an intimidating topic of infertility very relatable and made
Since I was in a trial I could only have single embryo transfer [at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia]...Everyone in the Chesterbrook location is great. You really start to feel like part of a family. (Esp since you will be there every other day some weeks). No matter if I saw someone for the first time or the 10th time I felt very comfortable with everyone I interacted with...Everyone always had a smile and recognized me by name only after a few visits. I was able to get ahold of anyone I needed to and all emails were responded to in a very timely manner.
How was your experience with Brianna Schumacher at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Schumacher. She made an intimidating topic of infertility very relatable and made sure she took the time to get to know you, explain everything and helped guide you all the way through your process. She pleasantly surprised me how involved she was throughout the whole process. Not only was she on hands, after every procedure or core updates she sent me a personal email or phone call to update me on the status along with words of encouragement. She definitely made you feel that you could get through anything even though at times it may be difficult. If I could stay with her to a live birth I would have loved to. I STRONGLY recommend Dr. Schumacher!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brianna Schumacher at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
If you are hesitant or nervous it is worth it. She will make you feel comfortable and explain everything in a way you will understand. She will find the best solution for YOU and your situation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brianna Schumacher at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr. Schumacher reached out personally via phone call or email throughout the lengthy IVF process with updates and words of encouragement which was very surprising and unexpected.
Describe the protocols Brianna Schumacher used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Due to my age (above 35) and previously having a misscarriage with no lives births in my history, she went over all my options with percentages of outcomes of a live birth. After going through all my options IVF seemed the best option for my husband and myself. We did the injectables for the egg retrieval, and then after the genetic testing and trial that I was in did the transfer of 1 embryo. Blood work and ultrasounds were completed frequently and meds adjusted as needed to get the best possible outcome. I can safely say that I am 10 weeks pregnant and excited to start this next chapter in my life.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Annika)
Everyone in Shady Grove Chesterbrook was amazing, from the nurses, coordinators, doctors, staff that took blood and front staff. Everyone always had a smile and recognized me by name only after a few visits. I was able to get ahold of anyone I needed to and all emails were responded to in a very timely manner.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Monitoring appointments were done in a specific window during the week. I was fortunate that I was able to make it work with my schedule and it not conflict too much with my work schedule.
Describe Brianna Schumacher's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Since I was in a trial I could only have single embryo transfer. Since this was my first IVF cycle, Dr Schumacher also wanted to make sure that we had 1 perfect embryo transferred rather than taking out chances with multiple for our first IVF transfer.
Brianna Schumacher
Chadds Ford (closed)
Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant on the first cycle of fertility treatment with non-invasive treatment. I was thrilled to have such fast results. I think Dr. Kallen really cares about his patients, and clearly knows the research and medicine behind fertility care. Sometimes, I felt that I had trouble communicating with him during appointments...We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse...answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly...explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
She [nurse at Shady Grove] always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions...This clinic is very efficient in scheduling appointments fast. The wait time is very short, and they do well with monitoring you closely even on the weekends. They schedule urgent appointments very fast. They are also extremely reliable in returning calls to patient. They will spend as long as needed on the phone with you to answer your questions. The office is also very nice.
Go into it with an open mind and remember that he is there to solely help you get pregnant.
Dr. Kallen and his staff answered my questions effectively and were able to schedule appointments quickly. Dr. Kallen helped us get pregnant during our first cycle with non-invasive treatment.
We used Chlomid, hormones, trigger shot, with timid intercourse. We got pregnant on the first cycle of treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Bonnie Cancel)
Bonnie Cancel was amazing! She always greeted me in the lobby with such compassion and care. She is very efficient in returning calls. Bonnie made the process feel so much easier. She always took as much time as needed to answer all of my questions. Bonnie is amazing! I was lucky to have her as much my care coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Costs were reasonable. Our insurance helped pay for a significant portion of the treatment. We were left with reasonable costs. I would say total we spent less than $1000 including all of the testing, doctors appointments, ultrasounds.
Dr. Kallen explained our options for fertility treatment and respected our choice to try the least invasive option first.
Center City

I Would Have Appreciated More Information [from Dr. Caleb Kallen] As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone...I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects....In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results.
[Shady Grove Fertility Center City] Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly"...I Think That Most Of The Team, Except For Nurse Bonnie Treated Me As If I Was A Number. There Was No Warmth, Genuine Care, Or Compassion Other Than Nurse Bonnie. As For Doctor Kallen, I Rarely Saw Him But The Few Times That We Did Meet Or Our Phone Appointment, I Felt That He Treated Me Like A Human.
Initially When I Read The Reviews Online For All Of The Fertility Doctors At Shady Grove Fertility I Remember Whispering "Please Don't Let Me Get Dr. Kallen, He Sounds So Mean And Cold". I Scheduled My Consultation And Sure Enough I Was Assigned To Dr. Kallen. I Was So Worried But I Went In With An Optimistic Approach And Believed That Maybe All Of Those Negative Reviewers Had Him Wrong. In My Experience, He Is Very Straightforward, A Little Cold Or Serious, But When He's Being Sweet Or Warm You Have To Know How To Read It. I Met With Him Maybe 2-3 Times In Person; For The Consultation, For The OAR, & Finally For The Ultrasound To Check How Many Sacs After A BFP, And Once Over The Phone To Discuss Test Results. He Did Not Perform My IUI Which I Was Shocked To Find Out When 2 Women Walked Into The Room But I Understand He Can't Be Everywhere At Once. He Explained Everything As It Appeared And Let Me Know Whenever There Was A Small Moment Of Concern. Although He Seems Like He Could Use A Big Hug Or A Few Laughs, Dr. Kallen Was Exactly What Was Best For My Journey In The End.
Please Be Open-Minded With Dr. Kallen's Personality. He Shows His Warmth And Passion In Other Forms. Don't Expect For Him To Make You Laugh Or Smile But To Assist In Making Your Dreams Of A Family A Reality.
My Treatment Strategy Was A Natural IUI Cycle Using Donor Sperm From A Sperm Bank. I Had Recently Went Into Preterm Labor With Twins And Was No Longer Involved With The Father. I Did Various Forms Of Bloodwork, Dr. Kallen Checked Out My Egg Count, I Ordered 2 Vials From California Cryobank, I Checked Ovulation Using One Digital Ovulation Kit And Strips To Compare, Once I Got My LH Surge I Was Scheduled For My IUI The Next Morning, Started Vaginal Progesterone The Following Morning For Whatever Reason I Was Not Given An Explanation, Got My BFP 2 Weeks Later, SGF Checked That My HCG Levels Were Rising, And Then Brought Me In To Count The Sacs.
I Only Have Positive Things To Say About Nurse Bonnie C. She Just Has This Warmth And Genuine Care For The Work That She Does, What It Means To Her Patients, And She's Overall A Very Happy And Uplifting Nurse. I Was Assigned To A Nurse Lindsay After Bonnie And We NEVER Met In Person, She Wasn't Knowledgeable About So Much I Felt Like I Was Her Nurse, And Was Relieved When She Said She Would No Longer Be Employed There But Her Patients Were Being Transferred To Another Nurse. Unfortunately, I Didn't Feel That The Next Nurse Was Reachable & Probably Spoke To Her Twice And Contacted By Others On Her Behalf Maybe 3-4 Times. I Would've Preferred Nurse Bonnie Throughout The Entire Process, She's A Spectacular Balance To Dr. Kallen's Dry Personality.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
I Have Already Recommended My Best Friend And She Brought Up How She Was Treated Like A Number Or Dollar Sign From The Beginning After They Found Out Her Financial Status Which Is Complete Opposite Of My Own. The Clinic Shows Its Weakness In Delivering The Same Services To Those Of Various Financial Status. The Receptionist Needs To Seek Other Employment. She (Camille, I Believe Is Her Name) Gets Frustrated And Overwhelmed Easily And By Late Afternoon Her Fake Smile And Approach Is Rude And Snappy. The Clinic's Strengths Consist Of Cleanliness, Availability, Location, Nurse Bonnie's Bubbly Personality, And It's Appearance To Be LGBTQ "Friendly".
The Costs Was All Out Of Pocket For Me. It Was A Lot Cheaper Than I Expected. My Insurance Was Not Accepted. Discounts Not Really Explained Came In Handy. I Filled Out Paperwork With A Financial Counselor Of Sorts And NEVER HEARD FROM HER. She Is A Terrible! Doesn't Answer Phone Calls, Emails, Or Voicemails. The Sperm Donor Vials Were The Most Expensive From California Cryobank.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I Would Have Appreciated More Information As To Why I Was Put On Vaginal Progesterone The Morning After The IUI And Notified Before Beginning Of How Long I Was Supposed To Be Taking This Potentially Dangerous Medication. I Was Told And Planned With Dr. Kallen For A Natural Cycle. I Should Have Been Thoroughly Included On Why That Changed And How Long It Would Last To Find Out If I Was Comfortable With It And Was Aware Of The Risks And Side Effects.
Center City

She [Dr. Esposito] is warm and kind. She makes direct eye contact and doesn't interrupt when you're talking. She is very willing to give more or less detail based on your feedback. She never seems like she's in a hurry...a very professional doctor who maintains the high standard of the clinic without feeling cold or clinical. She is very conversational with patients but is able to answer questions directly and provide more or less information based on your level of inquiry.
Shady Grove is all about education. They have unlimited opportunities to better your understanding of yourself, your fertility journey, their treatments and services, as well as the case histories of other patients in similar fertility stages, treatments and outcomes...The nursing staff is professional, polite, conversational and willing to go the extra step to ensure quality patient care...IUI is 1,800 per cycle--Medication costs were per insurance provider.
Dr. Esposito is a very professional doctor who maintains the high standard of the clinic without feeling cold or clinical. She is very conversational with patients but is able to answer questions directly and provide more or less information based on your level of inquiry. I appreciate the balance between her warm manner and high level of professionalism. Our conversations have always been candid and thorough. She is gentle when performing evaluations and never seems like she is in a hurry.
Don't make any assumptions based on fear or lack of experience--the best way to make the next step is to get more information. The more you know the better prepared you are to move forward with clarity and confidence.
She is warm and kind. She makes direct eye contact and doesn't interrupt when you're talking. She is very willing to give more or less detail based on your feedback. She never seems like she's in a hurry.
The trajectory that we have mapped out with Dr. Esposito is to start my first round of fertility medications this month, starting with medication and ovulation charting the first round and then move to medication with timed intercourse and then medication, egg harvesting an then IUI as necessary.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
IUI is 1,800 per cycle--Medication costs were per insurance provider.

2013 - 2018, Unsuccessful
When I first met [Dr. Melissa] Espositto I felt like I was at the right place & she made me feel like family. I will be forever thankful for all she did to help us achieve one of our dreams of having a child. She was compassionate & caring from the beginning & throughout all my bad experiences. I just wish from the start some things would of been mentioned about doing like pgs testing & ERA biopsy not at the end when I had practically used all my embryos. It was nice when she would call me before a transfer & wish me good luck but towards the end it was always communicating w the nurse.
Sometimes this clinic [Shady Grove-Harrisburg] is extremely busy so don't expect to be in & out in 30min. Always ask questions to make sure you are all on same page. Front desk could be more knowledgeable. There was a few times I was there & asked hey wasn't I supposed to have this done today. Then they were like hold on let me check & would come back in to say yeah you are right.
When I first met Espositto I felt like I was at the right place & she made me feel like family. I will be forever thankful for all she did to help us achieve one of our dreams of having a child. She was compassionate & caring from the beginning & throughout all my bad experiences. I just wish from the start some things would of been mentioned about doing like pgs testing & ERA biopsy not at the end when I had practically used all my embryos. It was nice when she would call me before a transfer & wish me good luck but towards the end it was always communicating w the nurse. I am currently trying yet for another baby but unfortunately have to start over from a retrieval & switched drs due to I feel abandoned by her now. I know she is a great dr but for some reason she refuses to call me or maybe the nurse isn't asking her to. She has been a blessing to me but I have a new dr now that I hope will give it their all to help me achieve my dreams of having a second baby!
Don't be hesitant to ask questions or second guess anything! She is a great dr but its your future♡
I would say I got treated more like a human until after my first & only live birth. Then I felt more like a number after that cuz it was the same protocols time after time & results were similar unfortunately.
One retrieval 10 eggs 9 mature & all 9 fertilized w Icsi to great quality blasts. Transferred 1 fresh ended in chemical. 2nd FET w 1 was neg. 3rd FET w 2 was pos & ended in live birth♡. 4th FET w 2 was pos but ended in MC at 9wks. 5th FET w 2 was pos but ended in MC at 7.5 wks. 6th FET w 1 was chemical but embryo stuck in catheter & had to reprep it for transfer again. My 3rd -6th i did endo scratch w prednisolone & lovenox w other transfer meds.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
She was always good at responding to emails & phone calls. There was a few times there was miscommunications & I'm glad I asked questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Sometimes this clinic is extremely busy so don't expect to be in & out in 30min. Always ask questions to make sure you are all on same page. Front desk could be more knowledgeable. There was a few times I was there & asked hey wasn't I supposed to have this done today. Then they were like hold on let me check & would come back in to say yeah you are right.
You could go in at certain hrs in morn & mostly when it worked best for you. Sometimes you could go in & it was extremely busy & waited a long time. Then there was days you were in & out.
Many many $1000s. Too much unfortunately. All out of pocket
She said one for 1st two transfers but after that it was 2.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
I had to repeat a test that required taking more injections so they could repeat it due to first time they collected the wrong amount of tissue. Plus put my plans yet another month behind.
Mechanicsburg

Dr. Kara Nguyen is super nice and has such a sweet personality. She took time to make sure we understood our diagnosis and upcoming procedure. She was very compassionate and caring throughout the whole process.... When we went for our initial consultation she took a lot of time to explain my low amh results...My doctor strongly encouraged only transferring 1 embryo. We didn't even really have the option of transferring multiple.
One thing I didn't like was that all the financial counselors are located in their [Shady Grove] Rockville, MD office. It would have been nice to talk to someone in person which used to be the case. Also, the financial counselors seemed overwhelmed and were often slow in getting back to you....The nursing staff was great! Tracey always had a protocol and schedule for me which was very helpful and easy to follow. She would also call each day of my monitoring appointments and explain results and what to do next.
Dr. Kara Nguyen is a very caring and compassionate Dr. When we went for our initial consultation she took a lot of time to explain my low amh results. I told her I wanted to be pregnant before the end of summer (consultation was in April) and she said we can do that. I still felt skeptical and scared to get my hopes up after almost 4 years of infertility but she delivered on that (got my positive pregnancy test in August). Also when my fresh transfer got cancelled and changed to a freeze all because of my progesterone level before my retrieval, I cried and she called me to make sure I understood why and make sure I was okay. Also, when she called to tell me I was pregnant, I could tell she was genuinely happy and excited for me.
Don't be afraid to go and do a consultation. I know a IVF sounds really scary but Dr. Kara Nguyen will explain everything and have a plan for you. Don't be afraid to ask questions!
We first tried 1 IUI because my insurance covered it. We were skeptical it would work due to my husband's low count and wondered if it was worth trying but also nervous about going straight to IVF. Dr. Kara Nguyen said it wouldn't hurt to try one IUI and the ultrasounds and bloodwork from that would be helpful in planning the IVF so it wouldn't be a complete waste if it didn't work. IUI cycle we did 100 mg Clomid on cycle days 3-7 and were supposed to do the trigger shot of Ovidrel on day 10 but that got pushed back until day 13 because of follicle size. Received negative pregnancy test after IUI. Started IVF on next cycle. Birth control pills for 15 days, Lupron (2.8cc) and birth control pills for 3 days, Lupron for 9 days, Follistim 300iU and Menopur 75iU for 14 days then Trigger shot and Egg Retrieval. My Follistim and Menopur ended up getting adjusted and my egg retrieval was pushed back because my follicles were growing slower and they wanted to have as many mature as possible. Also my progesterone got too high during the end of my stims so my cycle was switched to a freeze all and then an FET for the best chance of implantation.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
The new facility Shady Grove moved into in Mechanicsburg, PA is really nice. One thing I didn't like was that all the financial counselors are located in their Rockville, MD office. It would have been nice to talk to someone in person which used to be the case. Also, the financial counselors seemed overwhelmed and were often slow in getting back to you. One thing that I liked was their Shared Help program which gives a discount on ivf treatment based on income. Also, they have a shared risk program where you can do up to 6 ivf cycles including FET's and cryopreservation for 1 price and if you don't take home a baby from the hospital you get your money back.
IUI was covered by my insurance but cost about $180. IVF shared risk (up to 6 cycles including cryopreservation and FET's) after income discount was $16,500. IVF medications were about $4,600.
My doctor strongly encouraged only transferring 1 embryo. We didn't even really have the option of transferring multiple. I think it depends on your diagnosis, but the explanation I was given was that transferring multiple didn't really increase the chance of implantation but it did increase the risk of multiples which would be a high risk pregnancy.
Mechanicsburg
Dr. Esposito cared deeply about our desire to be parents. She was patient through the process of explaining everything to us even if she had to repeat herself. She was very empathetic and was supportive of the way we wanted to go about treatment.... She made sure to answer our questions fully and she covered all risks involved. We appreciated how she spoke to us in a down-to-earth manner and she treated us with importance and sensitivity. She was reassuring and when our first cycle failed she felt deeply unsatisfied and outlined exactly how the protocol would change and how she was going to make this happen for us.
They [Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia] are organized, communicative, flexible and make sure your experience is to your satisfaction. I expressed concerns about the financial counselor we were assigned and we received a phone call the very next day from our new financial counselor.... We exhausted insurance benefits for 2nd cycle so we opted to go with Shared Risk so we had a fair shot at making and bringing our baby home. Shared Risk is out of pocket and runs $19,500 plus $3,500 for genetic testing.
Dr. Esposito was explicit in her explanation of treatment. She made sure to answer our questions fully and she covered all risks involved. We appreciated how she spoke to us in a down-to-earth manner and she treated us with importance and sensitivity. She was reassuring and when our first cycle failed she felt deeply unsatisfied and outlined exactly how the protocol would change and how she was going to make this happen for us. "I just want to make your dream of becoming parents come true", those were her exact words.
Have faith. Trust the process. Ask questions- there is no such thing as "too many questions". Make sure you feel like all of your concerns are addressed and you are being heard. If you are a patient of Dr. Esposito, you will have no trouble with that. Be upfront and transparent.
I was on a menopur/gonal protocol with femera to keep my endometriosis at bay and introduced cetrotide towards the end of stims to prevent ovulation. Triggered with HCG.
Amy was out of this world, amazing. Couldn't have asked for a better nurse. So patient and so incredibly kind hearted. Such an amazing communicator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
They are organized, communicative, flexible and make sure your experience is to your satisfaction. I expressed concerns about the financial counselor we were assigned and we received a phone call the very next day from our new financial counselor.
Meds were between $5K-$6K, genetic testing was $5K. The rest was covered by my insurance. We exhausted insurance benefits for 2nd cycle so we opted to go with Shared Risk so we had a fair shot at making and bringing our baby home. Shared Risk is out of pocket and runs $19,500 plus $3,500 for genetic testing.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
While our nurse Amy was off, the nurse that was covering for her omitted the development of 2 of our embryos. Everything got cleared up the following day.
Mechanicsburg

Dr Martin has been very friendly and treated us like we were the only patients that he has. He ensured we understood ever step of the process and continues to keep us positive and moving toward our goal...He is extremely through so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them...My wife had to use Clomid and a trigger shot for 4 TI cycles and the same for 1 IUI cycle. Each cycle the drugs were working as prescribed and we had no set backs just never got pregnant.
Hallie [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] was very responsive even when we were frazzled or emotional about things not going our way. She ensured we were comfortable and always responded in a timely manner on all emails and phone calls...Meds ranged between $25-100 and IUI procedure was $1800...The overall clinic is great. They try to schedule appointments in the most convenient fashions so it does not interfere with your day. They have very clean facilities and work with you to the best of their ability.
How was your experience with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Dr Martin was phenomenal from the first time he met us and each and every time there after. He always made sure we knew what our next step in the process is/was and makes us feel comfortable like we have the same goal and not just a number.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
He is extremely through so if you have questions don't be afraid to ask them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Describe the protocols Ryan Martin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Hallie)
Hallie was very responsive even when we were frazzled or emotional about things not going our way. She ensured we were comfortable and always responded in a timely manner on all emails and phone calls.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ryan Martin at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Meds ranged between $25-100 and IUI procedure was $1800.
Describe Ryan Martin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
not applicable
Ryan Martin
Center City

Dr. Nguyen is caring and gentle. She called me personally when we found out I was pregnant and was sad with me when we lost our precious baby.... First cycle was just clomid at 100mg. No pregnancy but I did ovulate. We continued that 3 times with no success. 5th cycle was monitored and included a trigger shot of ovidrel along with the clomid 100mg. This ended with chemical pregnancy. 6th cycle same protocol and got pregnant but miscarried at 8 weeks
Wait times are rough [at Shady Grove Fertility of Pennsylvania]. Several times I had appointments and had to wait well over 25 minutes to get in. Care is great and staff is great. Facilities are nice and clean and welcoming. Overall really like them. Pricing is high... Tracey was great! She called me regularly with updates and answered my messages within a day. Sometime I got worried or worked up and cried but she never let it get me down and kept us going.
I was happy with my treatment, though my outcome of miscarriage was obviously heartbreaking. We are ready to try again and wouldn’t dream of going to any other doctor or clinic. She has a great manner and plan for us
Trust the plan and trust her. It’s scary but it can work
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia. (Assigned nurse: Tracey Mcclelland)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Wait times are rough. Several times I had appointments and had to wait well over 25 minutes to get in. Care is great and staff is great. Facilities are nice and clean and welcoming. Overall really like them. Pricing is high
Not sure if the total cost
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia?
Just appointments scheduled at the wrong location
Lancaster

She [Dr. Kara Nguyen] took time to explain what was going on with me in terms that I was able to understand. She also is very supportive of my choices with treatment. She gives me hope that a successful pregnancy can happen for me...Very personable and easily reached when I had questions...Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment...We did a cycle of clomid due To the less monitoring required while I am working.
Very easy to get an appointment. They [Shady Grove of PA] open at 7 am which is amazing for teachers. I have been early for appointments and left before my actual appointment time. Easy to contact and get help when needed...All [nursing staff] wonderful. Willing to answer questions and help if my nurse was out of the office...Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment.
She took time to explain what was going on with me in terms that I was able to understand. She also is very supportive of my choices with treatment. She gives me hope that a successful pregnancy can happen for me.
Be open and honest with your feelings. Dr. Nguyen is very suppprtive and helps calms any fears you might have about treatment.
Very personable and easily reached when I had questions
We did a cycle of clomid due To the less monitoring required while I am working. If this does not work we are moving to IVF when I am off of work for the summer and would be able to do all the appointments. Dr. Nguyen was very supportive of our idea and plan.
All wonderful. Willing to answer questions and help if my nurse was out of the office.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility of Philadelphia.
Very easy to get an appointment. They open at 7 am which is amazing for teachers. I have been early for appointments and left before my actual appointment time. Easy to contact and get help when needed.