7.1

9030 Stony Point Pkwy
Richmond, VA 23235
804-500-9999

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Johnston-MacAnanny] seemed relatable and understanding, and invested in our success. Would probably seem even more so if I'd been allowed to interact with her in person rather than only telehealth video chat...single embryo was our only option despite our preference for multiple. After that attempt failed, transferring two was presented as an option we were happy to take, only to find there were no donors available with multiple embryos, and the selection process did not seem to allow that option.
The Shared Risk program is the biggest strength of Shady Grove, if they decide you are a candidate for it. Our previous clinic had depleted their donor embryo reserve years ago, so we initially considered the size of Shady Grove's embryo bank to be an advantage. Unfortunately, their embryo bank seems to be shrinking rapidly to the point were are concerned that donor embryos may not be an option for future transfers.
How was your experience with Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
We come away from our video chats feeling like we fully understand the next steps and course of action. Unfortunately, subsequent communication from other staff have not seemed to agree, introducing new information we wish had been explained better and causing confusion and uncertainty.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Take notes on your conversation and review the action plan before signing off of a call, because other staff may not explain your next steps the same way she did. Better yet would be to have a way to directly follow up with her for clarification, but that doesn't seem to be an option anywhere anymore.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
She seemed relatable and understanding, and invested in our success. Would probably seem even more so if I'd been allowed to interact with her in person rather than only telehealth video chat.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
There has been little consistency among staff both from visit to visit at the same location, and also because our care was split between the Richmond location (for initial testing) and the Jones Institute in Norfolk (subsequent tests and transfer) after Shady Grove took over that clinic's administration.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Erika Johnston-MacAnanny at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
About $17000 to enter the Shared Risk program, but not sure about the additional tests and medications -- probably another $5000 or so, so far at this clinic. Maybe $20000 more in other treatment at previous clinics. There were also non-monetary costs: Emotional cost of repeated hormone treatments and failures. Also had to stop working with an adoption agency because they had a policy not to consider placement during or within a year of pregnancy.
Describe Erika Johnston-MacAnanny's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
In initial discussions with this doctor, single embryo was our only option despite our preference for multiple. After that attempt failed, transferring two was presented as an option we were happy to take, only to find there were no donors available with multiple embryos, and the selection process did not seem to allow that option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The way the protocols were described in discussion with the doctor did not seem consistent with how they were later described in writing. Also, we were sent a package of medication and not informed in advance that in contained some medicines which required refrigeration.

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr Shah always spent time answering our questions. He also always asked how we were doing and made small talk. He remembered details about us and referred to them often. He was very kind and took time to explain things to us...He was so lovely. Very down to earth and funny but also very knowledgeable...We simply tried egg retrieval 3 times but unfortunately my egg quality was poor. We never were able to create embryos. We are now moving on to donor egg
The clinic [at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond] was clean and new and easily accessed - lots of parking and convenient location. I don’t remember any weaknesses really. I was always seen super fast and hardly had to wait. I was impressed by how well everything worked together...It was very easy to go in for appointments- I could schedule for whatever I needed basically...I was always impressed with how fast everything was.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
He was so lovely. Very down to earth and funny but also very knowledgeable. He explained things in an understandable way and always answered our questions and spent the time we needed. We really appreciate him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Be sure to advocate for what you need and ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Describe the protocols Anish Shah used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond and their degree of success.
We simply tried egg retrieval 3 times but unfortunately my egg quality was poor. We never were able to create embryos. We are now moving on to donor eggs.
Everyone was always so kind. People remembered details about me and were wishing me luck. They took time to answer all of my questions. They always calmed me and helped me feel at ease when I was very anxious, nervous, or scared.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The clinic was clean and new and easily accessed - lots of parking and convenient location. I don’t remember any weaknesses really. I was always seen super fast and hardly had to wait. I was impressed by how well everything worked together,
Describe your experience with your monitoring appointments at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
It was very easy to go in for appointments- I could schedule for whatever I needed basically. And whenever I went in a hardly ever had to wait more than 10 minutes before I was seen. I had blood taken immediately and then was put into a room and seen immediately. I was always impressed with how fast everything was.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
I spent so much money. Nearly $25,000 dollars if I remember correctly. And now I’m trying to save up for donor eggs.
Describe Anish Shah's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
We never reached this stage.
Richmond - Henrico Doctors'

Dr Johnston has a warm manner without being condescending. If she saw that I was in a bad or sad mood, she would stop and address my concerns before continuing treatment...Though sometimes other doctors would do IUIs if she wasn't in clinic, she was always there for retrievals, transfers, and a fibroid removal I had to have done...[she] offered us the chance to try IUIs before moving to the more expensive IVF
The [SGF] clinic only lets you transfer two if you don't do PGT testing...The clinic is very good at getting your treatment started in a timely fashion, at scheduling you when you need to get in, at fixing scheduling mistakes, and at giving a warm caring impression when you go in for appointments. I will say that sometimes you wait a little bit for your appointments, but that's because the doctors will give you actual attention when you have concerns.
Dr Johnston was our primary RE throughout our term of care. Though sometimes other doctors would do IUIs if she wasn't in clinic, she was always there for retrievals, transfers, and a fibroid removal I had to have done. We have unexplained infertility, though I also have PCOS. Since we were paying out of pocket and the initial testing looked promising, Dr Johnston offered us the chance to try IUIs before moving to the more expensive IVF. We had one interrupted by an early ovulation and another interruption later when I developed a fibroid that partially blocked a tube. When we had to move to IVF there was a slight hiccup. The clinic previously had a program for service members with a significant discount, and we'd been given a brochure for it. That program wasn't being offered anymore. When we brought it up, Dr Johnston talked with her partners and got us the discount anyway. I appreciate that Dr Johnston let me have a large say in when we could do transfers and how soon after my loss we could start again. It didn't feel like there was unnecessary waiting, and when there was a wait she explained why it had to be that way and the risks of avoiding it.
I would say not to hesitate about asking any questions or bringing up concerns. She is very busy (although I never felt like she was rushing out of the room) but she's also very willing to spend a bit of extra time explaining something, so when she asks, "Anything else on your mind?" go ahead and ask. It's not a rhetorical question.
Dr Johnston has a warm manner without being condescending. If she saw that I was in a bad or sad mood, she would stop and address my concerns before continuing treatment. I appreciate that I tended to see the same circle of support staff and that they recognized me when I came back. I have a problem with needles, so the staff would take me back to a room to lie down for blood draws. There was an issue early on where I wasn't comfortable with male doctors for monitoring and ultrasounds. I expressed my concerns a few times. Afterwards, the clinic went and hired a female ultrasound tech for patients who prefer that.
Describe the protocols Erika Johnston-MacAnanny used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond and their degree of success.
-5x IUIs (one interrupted due to early ovulation). We did more because there was good reason to believe getting my ovulation started would work, then also I had a fibroid removed which could have been the issue. -2 retrieval cycles (one produced 21 eggs, 8 mature, 7 fertilized, 3 reached 5 day, 0 PGT normal; second was 27 eggs, 17 mature, 15 fertilized, 5 reached 5 day, 2 PGT normal) -2 frozen transfers (1 loss in first trimester, 1 ongoing pregnancy)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond. (Assigned nurse: Katy)
Katy was great and provided thorough answers to our questions. She had very quick responses through the patient portal as well. If I had to make a complaint, I would say that it's a bit frustrating to have to leave a message and wait for a call back every time. I'm not sure what the alternative model would be, though.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The clinic is very good at getting your treatment started in a timely fashion, at scheduling you when you need to get in, at fixing scheduling mistakes, and at giving a warm caring impression when you go in for appointments. I will say that sometimes you wait a little bit for your appointments, but that's because the doctors will give you actual attention when you have concerns. When we were doing IUIs they sometimes had meds on hand- not all the time, but sometimes, and it took some of the cost off us. The staff is also PHENOMENAL at billing. My insurance said they'd cover none of the IVF meds, but after the clinic got through with them we found our costs were much lower than expected (we were quoted $3k, ended up just a bit over $1k for a retrieval cycle). I like all but one of the doctors there, and I've seen most of them at some point. The one I don't like is I think one of the male senior partners, I can't remember his name. I saw him a couple of times and had to speak to him as the doctor on call one night. Both in-house visits he explained very basic anatomy terms to me although I was at a point in the process where it was obvious I knew that (I remember him saying "this is what's called the cervix" once and I'm like... dude I'm pushing 40, I know what a cervix is). He also sounded a little distracted and not terribly sympathetic when I called the nurse line with a subchorionic hemorrhage (SCH) early in this current pregnancy. His response was almost verbatim "Well that happens sometimes and we can't do anything about it either way so wait for your appointment". He did offer to get me an ultrasound the next day when he was on call but sounded a little condescending about it. He didn't even mention that an SCH was a possibility, the ladies in a fertility subreddit I'm in brought it up. I spent two days stressing out before my next checkup with Dr. Johnston (who did apologize for her colleague which I appreciate). There is a younger doctor- Dr. Shah I think- who was very respectful of my boundaries and always seemed cheerful without being upsettingly cheerful (if that makes sense). He had a great bedside manner. If you don't have my hangups about male OBGYNs he would be a great choice as well. In general, this is a really good clinic and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for help in the area.
IUIs were around 1800/cycle. We did the shared risk program which was a bit over $20K for up to 6 cycles. I don't remember the med costs for IUIs but for retrieval cycle after insurance meds were $1k and the transfer meds were pretty cheap at $40ish per refill.
I think this would be my only issue, and it's not a big concern. I would like to have had the option to transfer both my embryos at the same time instead of one at a time. I'm older and if they didn't work, I could get back to retrievals at a younger point. The clinic only lets you transfer two if you don't do PGT testing. However, I respect the argument that doing them at the same time could have resulted in a high risk twin pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
We had one situation where Dr Johnston had told me to get meds for a new cycle, but the nurse missed that in the notes. It was fixed as soon as I brought it up.
Richmond - Henrico Doctors'
We have had recurrent pregnancy loss, and she [Dr. Johnston-MacAnanny] was very sensitive to it as well as provided a very realistic outlook on treatment, etc...Letrozole 2.5 for 5 days after having an ultrasound to determine I was indeed not pregnant and an HCG test when I started my period. Then, after those 5 days, I had two ultrasounds, to see when my folicules were ready. Once the appropriate size, I was instructed to take a trigger shot. Then we had times intercourse as explained to us. We then had a positive pregnancy test and two bHCGs drawn to ensure progression...
[Shady Grove Fertility] friendly staff, timely nursing staff...non-up front transparency with financial services and what it will cost. We spent a little over 1500 on diagnostics, co pays, etc...Everytime I had a question and emailed on the portal, it was answered super quickly...The only thing I wish I had been told is what to expect as far a timeline, before treatment. This probably should have come from the office. We had a hiccup with our testing (I rested positive for antibodies and I have O- blood type, meaning rhogam was still in my system) and the office seemed like they wanted me to wait another month or so because of this...
The only thing I wish I had been told is what to expect as far a timeline, before treatment. This probably should have come from the office. We had a hiccup with our testing (I rested positive for antibodies and I have O- blood type, meaning rhogam was still in my system) and the office seemed like they wanted me to wait another month or so because of this. I contacted my OBGYN who reached out and got the ball rolling.
Ask exactly what to expect for your problems. This may be a blanket answer or very specific depending on your problems.
We met Dr. Johnston-Macanny during the COVID pandemic via an online method. We have had recurrent pregnancy loss, and she was very sensitive to it as well as provided a very realistic outlook on treatment, etc.
I have had recurrent pregnancy loss with several chemical miscarriages, longer cycles, diagnostic testing that appeared more like PCOS but without the physical characteristics. I was placed on Letrozole 2.5 for 5 days after having an ultrasound to determine I was indeed not pregnant and an HCG test when I started my period. Then, after those 5 days, I had two ultrasounds, to see when my folicules were ready. Once the appropriate size, I was instructed to take a trigger shot. Then we had times intercourse as explained to us. We then had a positive pregnancy test and two bHCGs drawn to ensure progression. Then, at 6, 7&8 weeks we had ultrasounds to ensure growth.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Strengths- friendly staff, timely nursing staff Weaknesses: non-up front transparency with financial services and what it will cost. We spent a little over 1500 on diagnostics, co pays, etc. And we have amazing healthcare coverage.
Between genetic testing, lab work, co-pays, drugs, and ultrasounds it was about $1500.
Richmond - Henrico Doctors'

I felt like the relationship with her [Dr. Erika Johnson-MacAnanny] was just not off to a good start. After months of labs and testing, she agreed to help us, but at that point I decided to take a more holistic approach. Yet still, she was always reminding me that the damage is already done and that my biological clock has stopped ticking...stated no amount of drugs could stimulate my ovaries. But we were so ready to finally take that leap of faith with IVF, only to then be told we should strongly consider donor eggs, and that I did not qualify for the shared risk program because my labs are unfavorable (I previously qualified with my first doctor, who has since merged with Dr. Johnston's group, Shady Grove Fertility). All I wanted was a chance, but clearly I was gonna throw
They [Shady Grove Fertility- RIchmond] have a brand new facility, which is always nice. I wish they offered more adjunctive treatments like acupuncture...in their Richmond office. Appointments usually start within 15 minutes, so wait times are generally short....In the end, because we were disqualified from the shared risk program, our saved funds could only cover two cycles at Dr. Johnston's clinic. We decided to move forward with a different clinic for treatment.
At first glance, Dr. Johnston is very intelligent and knows her stuff. However, when a doctor tells you any alternative treatments you're doing is not going to help, or it's as if a cancer patient is choosing herbs over chemotherapy when you take charge of your own fertility, they're belittling you as a patient and a person, as if to say it is poor judgement on my part. I think if she had chosen to be more empathetic and compassionate with her words, we might have continued our work together.
If you do not feel supported in your journey and you're given limited options, do yourself a favor and find a new doctor.
From the initial consultation we had with shady grove, we were already set up for failure because the statistics were so against us, given that I have DOR and my husband has male factor infertility, and Dr. Johnston stated no amount of drugs could stimulate my ovaries. But we were so ready to finally take that leap of faith with IVF, only to then be told we should strongly consider donor eggs, and that I did not qualify for the shared risk program because my labs are unfavorable (I previously qualified with my first doctor, who has since merged with Dr. Johnston's group, Shady Grove Fertility). All I wanted was a chance, but clearly I was gonna throw off their success rate. I felt like the relationship with her was just not off to a good start. After months of labs and testing, she agreed to help us, but at that point I decided to take a more holistic approach. Yet still, she was always reminding me that the damage is already done and that my biological clock has stopped ticking. I never felt hopeful about proceeding with IVF at their clinic and made a decision to move on elsewhere.
front desk and clinical staff were always courteous and had a tendency to follow up frequently, keeping me updated with my lab results and next steps.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
They have a brand new facility, which is always nice. I wish they offered more adjunctive treatments like acupuncture her in their Richmond office. Appointments usually start within 15 minutes, so wait times are generally short.
12,000 per IVF cycle, not including meds, PGS, ICSI, cryo-preservation, OR multi-cycle discount for 18,500 (2 cycles) were what I qualified for, unless I agreed to donor egg IVF and I would have qualified for their shared risk program.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
AMH was not drawn with my initial baseline labs, and then there was a long delay as I had to wait to get it with other upcoming labs. not a big deal overall, since I was not on any specific treatment protocol.
Richmond - Henrico Doctors'

Dr. Steingold has been so personable & understanding as we have been working with him. We can tell that he really cares about his patients, and we have never felt rushed when with him. He listens well and answers our questions honestly, all while keeping things lighthearted....When we initially met Dr. Steingold for a consultation, we had already been through 3 rounds of clomid with my OB. So, we first completed the HSG and initial ultrasound. I also told him I noticed less cervical mucus with clomid, so he also did a post-coital test
Virginia Fertility Associates is a calming environment in a good location. Everyone we have worked with while we’ve been there have been kind. VFA is in the process of merging with Shady Grove Fertility, so the staff has admitted they are learning new systems, etc right now. Just a transitional time for the clinic....Although I’ve had little interaction with the nurses, they seem to be compassionate and caring. During HSG and IUI procedures, the nurse in the room was very sweet and asked how I was doing more than once. (I think she could tell I felt nervous.)
How was your experience with Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Dr. Steingold was recommended to us by a couple of friends, so we have trusted him from the start. He is personable, caring, open, and keeps things lighthearted. We have only done one round of just letrozole & one round of letrozole / IUI at this point and are not pregnant, but we are hopeful. He continues to ask us what we want to do and gives us his opinion, and then he adjusts treatment accordingly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Don’t hesitate to ask him any and all the questions you have (even if you think they may sound silly); he’ll answer them graciously and honestly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Describe the protocols Kenneth Steingold (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond and their degree of success.
When we initially met Dr. Steingold for a consultation, we had already been through 3 rounds of clomid with my OB. So, we first completed the HSG and initial ultrasound. I also told him I noticed less cervical mucus with clomid, so he also did a post-coital test (although he said they tend to do less of those because they are more outdated/not as accurate). He decided it couldn’t hurt if it was something I was concerned about. HSG went well; Fallopian tubes were clear. Post-coital went well (it was really cool to look in the microscope!). Ultrasound showed something near / on my right ovary. (He was out of town for this, so it was another doctor who performed it, and he was very vague about it, but just told me I might need to get surgery which worried me.) Dr. Steingold followed up with a second ultrasound with him to see what was going on before starting any treatment. Second ultrasound proved clear, which was confusing, but he was very happy with. He said we will continue to do ultrasounds to make sure whatever was there was gone — and to monitor egg size. Third ultrasound was CD 14 proved to be clear again, and egg size looked good with one Letrozole pill, but got a negative pregnancy test. Fourth ultrasound looked good as well. This round was two Letrozole pills, a trigger shot on CD 16 for ovulation, and IUI on CD 17. Just received negative pregnancy test today, so we are entering into another 2 letrozole pill / IUI round before we change to different dosage or shots with IUI for third IUI round.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kenneth Steingold (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Initial consultation $216 / HSG treatment $380 / 4 ultrasounds $100 each / Post-coital $50
Kenneth Steingold (retired)
Richmond - Henrico Doctors'

Dr. Shah was always conversational and accommodating during appointments. If my husband or I expressed concern or discomfort, he was there to help and reassure.... Dr. Shah has hours available on the weekends to accommodate menstrual cycles, which has been a big help for us. There have been times where we needed to come in later in the day, which has also helped my husband and I with scheduling. Dr. Shah has been the only physician we have had,
The clinic [Shady Grove] does not always communicate between team members between the doctor's office and front office staff. The practice has 5 doctor's that are a part of the fertility group, so it is rather busy. They are working on making this more smooth, though, by implementing an electronic system soon. The clinic is on the fourth floor of a medical building, with the sperm lab on the 3rd floor. This makes IUI cycles very easy for us.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
I have had two IUI rounds with Clomid and injections with Dr. Shah, and we are planning our third. The most difficult aspect of the process has been making sure we get the appointments that work for our schedule and for the doctor. Dr. Shah has hours available on the weekends to accommodate menstrual cycles, which has been a big help for us. There have been times where we needed to come in later in the day, which has also helped my husband and I with scheduling. Dr. Shah has been the only physician we have had, making the experience consistent for each visit. He has made my husband and I both feel comfortable during the process. Dr. Shah is a very technical speaker, he is rather blunt, and direct with the information he provides. This approach has been great for my husband and I because we appreciate knowing all of the details as we go along. We like to hear technical terms and we appreciate direct language for what is to come. We have grown thick skin through the process of infertility and have decided we want to know the good, the bad, and the ugly no matter what. Dr. Shah has supported us through each step.
I would advise evaluating your schedule to know what times of day you will be available for treatments. It's best to determine whether you will have flexibility in your work schedule or not at the outset. Dr. Shah is in high demand, so scheduling can throw some curveballs.
We used/ are using clomid and ovidrel for our IUI cycles. We have been advised that IVF may be the most effective since age and sperm count is the biggest factor for our infertility (I am 34, my husband has low sperm count). My insurance, however, allotted 4 cycles of IUI, so we thought we would try IUI before taking the financial plunge for IVF.
The nurses are very accommodating and helpful. They are not overly friendly, but are available for answering questions. The nurses are very, very busy in the office, so we don't spend much time with them.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The clinic does not always communicate between team members between the doctor's office and front office staff. The practice has 5 doctor's that are a part of the fertility group, so it is rather busy. They are working on making this more smooth, though, by implementing an electronic system soon. The clinic is on the fourth floor of a medical building, with the sperm lab on the 3rd floor. This makes IUI cycles very easy for us.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The office hours are from 9-4. We have had issues with receiving calls from the clinic to schedule or reschedule appointments because their work hours coincide with ours. As well, since my husband and I tend to work after 4pm, we are unable to call the office during times that are convenient for us to follow up. If my cycle day 1 starts on a Friday or weekend, this makes getting appropriate medications for the IUI cycle more difficult. The office did not keep my insurance's preferred specialty pharmacy on file, causing additional delays with medications.

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
Come with a list of questions because he [Dr. Geof Tidey] doesn’t offer up much without asking... Retrieval cancelled...Donor egg cycle with two donor egg embryos and that outcome was a negative pregnancy test. Then he decided a possible fibroid could be interfering with implantation and he removed two small fibroids...We went through an entire donor egg cycle that didn’t result in pregnancy and then he decided to take out a small fibroid that he felt might be causing the problem. I know this is lot of chance and statistics I just felt like I was a shot in the dark and didn’t receive proper workup and treatment.
[Nurses at Shady Grove Fertility were] Excellent!!! If it wasn’t for them I may have changed doctors!...Doesn’t seem to be up to date when I went there with current treatments and protocols. A newer partner joined and did one of my IUIs and he’s very forward thinking and open to new protocols and treatments...[Treatment] Not tailored for anyone with low egg reserve. Never made one follicle when I had 2-5 follicles on oral Med cycles. Retrieval cancelled Donor egg cycle with two donor egg embryos and that outcome was a negative pregnancy test. Then he decided a possible fibroid could be interfering with implantation and he removed two small fibroids.
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
I just didn’t feel like I received a proper pre treatment workup like others that were undergoing similar therapy and treatments. He never seemed to give me definitive choices and made me feel a little unsure about everything he told me. My husband felt like he was reactive to everything and not proactive and quickly jumped us to donor eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Come with a list of questions because he doesn’t offer up much without asking.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
I never felt like he connected with me like one of his partners did. He was always like “let’s just see.” During my own egg IVF cycle did we learn about my low AMH and ELEVATED FSH. He didn’t really do much of a “fertility” workup that I read about many others routinely receiving. We went through an entire donor egg cycle that didn’t result in pregnancy and then he decided to take out a small fibroid that he felt might be causing the problem. I know this is lot of chance and statistics I just felt like I was a shot in the dark and didn’t receive proper workup and treatment.
Describe the protocols Geof Tidey used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond and their degree of success.
Clomid with TRIGGER ANS IUI X2 Femara with trigger and iui x2 last one ovulated early IVF With own eggs with starting with BCP and injections. Not tailored for anyone with low egg reserve. Never made one follicle when I had 2-5 follicles on oral Med cycles. Retrieval cancelled Donor egg cycle with two donor egg embryos and that outcome was a negative pregnancy test. Then he decided a possible fibroid could be interfering with implantation and he removed two small fibroids.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond. (Assigned nurse: Valerie )
Excellent!!! If it wasn’t for them I may have changed doctors!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Spent a total of 30,000
Describe Geof Tidey's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
He made appropriate recommendations
Geof Tidey

2022, Unknown Success
[Dr. Johnston-MacAnanny] is very nice and patient. She ensure not only that I was comfortable but my husband as well. She ensured no questions were had before the meeting was over. She is open to listening and willing to take all measures before IVF was the final decision...[eSET transfer options] Currently approved 1 5 day embryo as my other test scores were good. Multiple can be discussed if IVF cycle fails
there are two clinics. Both clinics provide great service. Waiting area is clean and comfortable. Staff calls you by name. Information for that appointment is given ahead of time so no confusion is had the day of your appointment...Communication [between SGF nurses ]is great. You can email or call to get clear information...[approx cost] 22450 IVF (no insurance) 150 mock trial 600 anesthesiology (no insurance) 50 doctor appointment
She is very nice and patient. She ensure not only that I was comfortable but my husband as well. She ensured no questions were had before the meeting was over. She is open to listening and willing to take all measures before IVF was the final decision
Be honest and ask your questions
My provider and my nurses speak with me by name. They do their homework to ensure I am aware of what is and has happened to date
STI testing Mock Trial Blood work including A1C Semen analysis Endocrinology Appointment
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Communication is great. You can email or call to get clear information
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
There are two clinics. Both clinics provide great service. Waiting area is clean and comfortable. Staff calls you by name. Information for that appointment is given ahead of time so no confusion is had the day of your appointment. No real weakness I have found at this time.
2021, Unknown Success
it was found I had/have endometriosis. I later had another medication IUI, which failed. By this time, I decided to move on IVF. I had a consult for IVF and Dr Johnston was honest that I really wasn't a good candidate for IVF with my own eggs. I decided to go with an embryo transfer with donor embryo...[she] is kind and compassionate and spends time with her patients
I did two medicated IUI cycles [at Shady Grove Fertility] , which were $1200 each plus the cost of medication...I moved on to an embryo transfer, which I decided to do the shared risk option. That was $16,800...It was easy to get an appointment, clean environment, caring clinical staff and receptionists. I was not crazy about the financial specialist that works under Dr Johnston. I felt like I did not get the information I needed from her and she was very pushy.
I started at Shady Grove Fertility as a woman choosing to be a single mother by choice. I thought I would have a few IUI at most and have a baby. I was originally with a different physician at this same clinic in the beginning. From my lab results, I had/have diminished ovarian reserve. I went ahead with 5 unmedicated IUI under the previous physician. All failed. I decided to go ahead and try medicated IUI. By this time, I had switched to Dr Johnston for a second opinion. I couldn't accept that I had very few eggs at a relatively young age. I had my first medicated IUI (sixth IUI total) under Dr Johnston. I got pregnant that cycle, but it ended up being a ruptured ectopic pregnancy. Dr Johnston was quick to diagnose it at what would have been my first OB ultrasound. I was sent to my OBGYN where I had surgery. During the surgery, it was found I had/have endometriosis. I later had another medication IUI, which failed. By this time, I decided to move on IVF. I had a consult for IVF and Dr Johnston was honest that I really wasn't a good candidate for IVF with my own eggs. I decided to go with an embryo transfer with donor embryo. I am currently pregnant from that embryo transfer.
Be realistic in your expectations.
Dr Johnston is kind and compassionate and spends time with her patients
The first medicated IUI, I used clomid 50 mg and had a decent follicle response and got pregnant that round. It resulted in the ruptured ectopic pregnancy. The second medicated IUI, I used clomid 100 mg. I must have had an allergic reaction to the clomid as I broke out in a rash every time I took it. That round I ended up with a few follicles but only 1-2 were on the side I needed them to be (I only had one tube left at this point). That cycle failed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond. (Assigned nurse: Katy Caine)
Quick response, caring
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
I did two medicated IUI cycles under Dr Johnston, which were $1200 each plus the cost of medication. I moved on to an embryo transfer, which I decided to do the shared risk option. That was $16,800.
Reproductive Endocrinologists usually only suggest to transfer one at a time and it is no different with Dr Johnston. I was okay with a single embryo transfer.
2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
He [Dr. Michael Edelstein] has taken the time with us to go over options...I had multiple HSG’s to verify that my tubes were indeed blocked. I then had the tubes cleaned out and as they healed, one side partially closed while the other remained open. I was told that I have hydrospalnix. I wanted to try different options before going with his plan, which was to remove the tubes to increase the chance of success...was very detailed and showed us the statistics of the clinic and current overall success with IVF. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I love the atmosphere and because they were the very first doctors I went too and felt comfortable with. I have no complaints. We went over pros and cons on what ever decision we were leaning towards and we tried them. So he was supportive but made sure we knew all risks.
love the atmosphere [at Shady Grove Fertility- Richmond]...I had great experiences with the nurses. If I had questions, they would assist. If I had to call in, before the close of business I would have a answer or the very next morning...I had multiple HSG’s to verify that my tubes were indeed blocked. I then had the tubes cleaned out and as they healed, one side partially closed while the other remained open. I was told that I have hydrospalnix. I wanted to try different options before going with his plan, which was to remove the tubes to increase the chance of success. So I decided to try a few IUIs using clomid, lextrazole, and both used a trigger shot. None of the IUIs were successful. We went onto another clinic due to us being military and that’s where we had a fresh IVF cycle completed and lost the baby about 4weeks.
How was your experience with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Dr. Edelstein was very detailed and showed us the statistics of the clinic and current overall success with IVF. I just wish it wasn’t so expensive. I love the atmosphere and because they were the very first doctors I went too and felt comfortable with. I have no complaints. We went over pros and cons on what ever decision we were leaning towards and we tried them. So he was supportive but made sure we knew all risks.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Be open, clear, and stick to what you would like to happen or try first before making any life altering decisions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
He has taken the time with us to go over options but it’s just hard hearing what may have to happen with my tubes. I wanted to try different avenues first before having my tubes removed. We did try different approaches but some things still just didn’t work out.
Describe the protocols Michael Edelstein used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Be prepared to come in with a strong and positive attitude up front. It will be very tough going forward but be sure your comfort and care is taken care of. Become acquainted, be open, go over several options and think about it. Don’t make a decision right away. You can make some decisions that cannot be reversed.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Edelstein at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
For what we could afford while using federal insurance, each IUI was 350, plus 100 for the semen wash plus cost of meds. Copay only for clomid and lextrazole. The tubal reconstruction, I had to pay about 300. Each visit had a copay roughly of about 40. ( for the second doctor with Walter Reed, we had to pay 5,500 for the whole process; start to finish. This was only because I was lucky enough to land active duty orders. This is only temporary and can be cut at any time due to my change in status.
Describe Michael Edelstein's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
If I had a choice, I would do multiple. At shady grove we could but because of my change in service, I can not be seen at shady Grove unless we pay out of pocket for everything. So Walter Reed has a protocol and it’s very strict. One embryo under the age of 35.
Michael Edelstein

2019, 13 Eggs Frozen
She [Dr. Johnston-MacAnanny] was straight forward and honest, but spot on. Visits were timely. My only reservation was that it was an on call physician who performed my procedure each time. That surprised me at first, but every physician was excellent...We used the highest dose for my stimulation in the setting of my diminished ovarian reserve. My treatments were stacked and my second retrieval was much more successful.
The [SGF] finance department changed their specials after I started my treatment and it was a bit of a hassle to have them honor the original contract but eventually they agreed. The actual clinic was lovely. They moved to a new beautiful building for my second round which was much nicer...Approximately $7000 for the treatment and $5000 for medications.
She was straight forward and honest, but spot on. Visits were timely. My only reservation was that it was an on call physician who performed my procedure each time. That surprised me at first, but every physician was excellent.
She is smart and competent.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
They were always very responsive to emails and calls.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The finance department changed their specials after I started my treatment and it was a bit of a hassle to have them honor the original contract but eventually they agreed. The actual clinic was lovely. They moved to a new beautiful building for my second round which was much nicer.
Approximately $7000 for the treatment and $5000 for medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
On the day of my retrieval the computer system went out, so the on call physician had trouble accessing my ultrasound reports but I had copies.
Richmond - Henrico Doctors'

Dr. Johnston was realistic, but optimistic, every step of the way and it was easy for me to believe it. She had a great sense of humor which made everything easier...We started with lots of testing, once PCOS was confirmed, we decided to move to try IUI... I knew they were just a e-mail away and would have answers for me
From the first virtual visit, to my "graduation", Dr. Johnston and her team made me feel at ease. Throughout my entire fertility journey, they were supportive, warm, welcoming and overall made me feel as if nothing was my fault and we were going to handle it all together... I knew they were just a e-mail away and would have answers for me..
From the first virtual visit, to my "graduation", Dr. Johnston and her team made me feel at ease. Throughout my entire fertility journey, they were supportive, warm, welcoming and overall made me feel as if nothing was my fault and we were going to handle it all together. Dr. Johnston was realistic, but optimistic, every step of the way and it was easy for me to believe it. With fertility treatments, I believe the mental aspect is a huge part. Although a very hard process to navigate, Dr. Johnston and the Shady Grove team made me feel hopeful, which help me keep the mindset that we would find success. It is crazy how much this team turned into a second family. I knew they were just a e-mail away and would have answers for me. Forever grateful and thankful for Shady Grove, Dr. Johnston and the entire team. If you want a medical team who cares, is honest and welcoming- look to Dr. Johnston. Thank you for your expertise in making my dream a reality.
Be honest, go in open-minded. Dr. Johnston knows what she is doing and trust is crucial.
From the first virtual visit, to my "graduation", Dr. Johnston and her team made me feel at ease. Throughout my entire fertility journey, they were supportive, warm, welcoming and overall made me feel as if nothing was my fault and we were going to handle it all together. Dr. Johnston was realistic, but optimistic, every step of the way and it was easy for me to believe it. She had a great sense of humor which made everything easier!
We started with lots of testing, once PCOS was confirmed, we decided to move to try IUI. We used medically induced ovulation with Letrozole then used an Ovidrel trigger shot. Next day was the IUI and 2 weeks later we had a positive pregnancy test. During those 2 weeks, leading up to 7 weeks gestation, I was prescribed progesterone suppositories to help thicken the lining of my uterus.
From the first virtual visit, to my "graduation", Dr. Johnston and her team made me feel at ease. Throughout my entire fertility journey, they were supportive, warm, welcoming and overall made me feel as if nothing was my fault and we were going to handle it all together. Dr. Johnston was realistic, but optimistic, every step of the way and it was easy for me to believe it. With fertility treatments, I believe the mental aspect is a huge part. Although a very hard process to navigate, Dr. Johnston and the Shady Grove team made me feel hopeful, which help me keep the mindset that we would find success. It is crazy how much this team turned into a second family. I knew they were just an e-mail away and would have answers for me. Forever grateful and thankful for Shady Grove, Dr. Johnston and the entire team. If you want a medical team who cares, is honest and welcoming- look to Dr. Johnston. Thank you for your expertise in making my dream a reality.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
He’s [Dr. Anish Shah is] an outstanding clinician - very knowledgeable, incredibly articulate, kind, responsive, and willing to do what’s best for us personally. He encourages us to make decisions on our care based on our wants and needs while guiding us with his expertise. He’s fantastic! And SUPER LGBTQ+ friendly. My partner and I have similar sounding names and he’s never mixed us up once! (Which has been common in other medical settings)
[Shady Grove Fertility Richmond] Strengths: they’re a large practice with lots of resources. They’re able to do many different tests/procedures in house. They’re appointment availability is good and they have multiple locations. Weaknesses: because they’re so big at times you do feel like “just a number” unless you really advocate for yourself you get lost in the shuffle a little bit. Their office hours are odd sometimes requiring you to call an after hours or emergency number. Sometimes the answering service then makes you feel silly for calling when your issue “isn’t really an emergency”
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Dr. Shah is the single reason we’ve stayed the course with Shady Grove. He’s an outstanding clinician - very knowledgeable, incredibly articulate, kind, responsive, and willing to do what’s best for us personally. He encourages us to make decisions on our care based on our wants and needs while guiding us with his expertise. He’s fantastic! And SUPER LGBTQ+ friendly. My partner and I have similar sounding names and he’s never mixed us up once! (Which has been common in other medical settings)
Dr. Shah is outstanding. My advice would be to deal with the shortcomings of the clinic itself and lean on his expertise. He’s so sweet and easy to talk to. He answers all your questions and spends time with his patients.
Dr. Shah calls us regularly to check in post-procedure even when he’s not on call/out of town. His bedside manner is fantastic. He’s kind and gentle and very knowledgeable.
We did 3 cycles of IUI - 1 natural cycle (ovulation testing at home) & 2 medicated cycles with monitoring in clinic, trigger shot and progesterone supplements. We switched to Reciprocal IVF and I did an egg retrieval with the intention of my partner carrying. Medications for retrieval included menopur, cetrotide, gonal-f, and lupron trigger 36 hours prior to retrieval. My partner’s medications for transfer included birth control, Lupron, estradiol, and progesterone shots. We did a 5-day fresh embryo transfer directly following the retrieval. We genetically tested and froze remaining embryos which resulted in 8 genetically normal embryos. After this failed, we did some bloodwork and found she had a thyroid issue. It took 2 months of dosage shifts to regulate with levothyroxine. We then did a frozen embryo transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy and miscarriage. Her medications included birth control, estradiol, and progesterone shots.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond. (Assigned nurse: Morganne and Vivian)
Morganne helped us when we did our IUIs and she was very helpful and cheerful. She answered our questions confidently and made us feel heard. Vivian helped us when we switched to IVF and she is very kind and knowledgeable but can be a little scattered in her thoughts at times.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Donor sperm: $8,000 IUI: $2,250 IVF cycle with great transfer: $13,000 Genetic testing $3,600 IVF medications: $2,500 Cryopreservation: $1,500 Al base-line testing $1,000 Frozen transfer $4,000 Meds for frozen transfer $500 In total about $36,500
Our doctor recommended one embryo for transfer based on my partner’s age and no history of miscarriages.
How competent was Shady Grove Fertility Richmond at LGBTQ care?
They’ve been welcoming and respectful during the course of our treatment however, many of their forms are antiquated with language such as “husband and wife”. LGBTQ people are certainly accepted, however we have felt like an afterthought, with the primary care being directed towards heterosexual couples struggling with infertility rather than LGBTQ couples who are using their services.
Describe your experience using 3rd party reproduction (donor eggs, donor sperm, or gestational carrier) at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
Our experience with donor sperm and Shady grove has been great. California cryo- bank was the bank we used and the shipment from the cryo-bank to the clinic and from the clinic’s andrology lab to us during treatment was always smooth.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The front desk staff isn’t alway knowledgeable about what you’re there for. They’ve made mix ups in paperwork or failed to offer follow up appointments when needed. Our specific nursing team has always corrected the issue and got us back on track
Stony Point
Be prepared with your questions because he’s not going to over explain things unless asked. He [Dr. Tidey] will explain everything but he’s not “chatty” so it will be direct and brief...colomid and timed intercourse. After doing that for 3 cycles he told us that it was time to move along. He said we could keep trying but didn’t want us to spend all of our money and emotional currency on a potentially dead end treatment. We did 3 IUIs and none of them worked. I was on the fence about a 4th round and Tidey told me it would be a waste but he didn’t stop me and ultimately allowed me the choice.
IVF meds- $5000 IVF treatment- $30,000 IUI- $900 [at Shady Grove Fertility]...It is a little slow and hard to get someone on the phone. However they do a great job managing all aspects of the process. I personally think their business office is amazing as they do all that they can to try and help you figure out the best way to pay for everything...Dr Tidey’s lead nurse provides all of the compassion and love that Tidey cannot. She is amazing and makes you feel so calm, supported and taken care of. The whole staff is amazing but our nurse knew our name, knew what was going on and always knew the best way to care for us based on the visit. As for the coordination she was also amazing. She is the perfect blend between Tidey and his nursing staff. She is calm, steady, compassionate but also firm and educational. She has to go over all of the information and patiently answers all questions and does an amazing job holding your hand while also making you feel like you’ve got it and you can do it!
How was your experience with Geof Tidey at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Dr Tidey has an awkward bedside manner. He is a little socially awkward and more comfortable talking about the process and the procedure than he is making small talk and putting you at ease. He is very throughout and puts so much care into every decision and suggestion he makes. He puts his patients safety first and is very direct about what your options are. He doesn’t sugar coat the options and is very direct when making his suggestions about your car. He does a great job balancing your right and need as a patient to make your own decisions with not allowing you to spend too much time wasting money and time doing expensive treatments that aren’t going to work. In a truly emotionally overwhelming moment his direct and balanced insight and medical treatment is exactly what I needed.
Be prepared with your questions because he’s not going to over explain things unless asked. He will explain everything but he’s not “chatty” so it will be direct and brief.
He is very matter of fact so while you are very much treated like a human he is incredibly detached in the way he speaks to you. You aren’t a number, everything is tailored to you and he’s very well versed on your case but it’s going to be very clinical.
I came in with unexplained infertility and so he had us try colomid and timed intercourse. After doing that for 3 cycles he told us that it was time to move along. He said we could keep trying but didn’t want us to spend all of our money and emotional currency on a potentially dead end treatment. We did 3 IUIs and none of them worked. I was on the fence about a 4th round and Tidey told me it would be a waste but he didn’t stop me and ultimately allowed me the choice. Ultimately I agreed with him that IVF was the best option. It was so hard for me to hear but he clearly explained to me while it made the lost sense. He suggested that we do both genetic testing and ICIS given my history of miscarriage. We ended up determining that I had bad egg quality and so out of 18 eggs retrieved 3 made it and only 1 was viable. We implanted that one and gave birth 9 months later.
IVF meds- $5000 IVF treatment- $30,000 IUI- $900
He doesn’t suggest multiple transfers the first time around. He has concerns about the health of the mother. Said he would honor our decision but wasn’t excited about multiple embryo transfer.
Geof Tidey

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Shah has a wonderful bedside manner. He is very warm, empathetic, and caring. He also didn't make me feel rushed during my appointments, which I really appreciated...[he] also suggested transferring two embryos instead of one during this round because it would increase the odds of having one of them "stick." The third time we did a modified natural cycle, were I took a lot less medicine and got my blood drawn more frequently, and we transferred two embryos
I'm not sure if they grew too quickly, but the service became horrible when Shady Grove took over Virginia Fertility Associates. I no longer saw Dr. Shah at every appointment, and was disappointed when he was unable to do my egg retrieval...I almost never saw the same nurse, and my calls went through to a nurse line rather than a designated nurse. People messed up my protocol multiple times, and I just felt very overlooked and forgotten.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Dr. Shah was very open and honest, and always tried to make sure we felt optimistic about the possibility of having a baby. He always let me know what was coming, and how I could expect things to go. On a more personal level, he is the only doctor who figured out how to properly insert a speculum and catheter without causing massive pain because he discovered I had a tilted uterus. After seeing so many other doctors who quickly (and painfully) went through these intimate procedures with little regard for me as a person, it was reassuring to know that he was seeing me as an individual and treated me accordingly. I truly appreciated working with him.
He's wonderful, but you may not always see him with the way the practice is run. It can also be hard to get hold of him sometimes, and it feels like you're playing phone tag with his nurses.
I had 3 IUIs, one egg retrieval, and 3 frozen transfers with Dr. Shah. For the IUIs, I was on Clomid and then had a trigger shot the day before the procedure. The Clomid made me feel like an absolute basketcase and I had horrible headaches and hot flashes, but Dr. Shah determined that the positives outweighed the negative side effects, so I did the same thing each time. He also had take Vitamin D supplements prior to the Clomid as I was deficient. Then they did an HSG to rule out any blockages before we moved onto IVF. For the egg retrieval, they had me on a lot of medication, so I'm sure I'm forgetting something. I took Clomid, Menopur and then Lupron for my trigger shot. I had to come in for multiple blood tests for them to check my levels prior to the retrieval retrieval make sure I didn't miss my window. We then did ICSI and PGS testing on the embryos. My first two FETs resulted in miscarriages. The protocol for these two were the same, with strong doses of Estradiol, which made me feel awful. Then I began progesterone injections, which I continued until I was 10 weeks pregnant. I miscarried shortly after stopping the shots both times. After the second miscarriage I asked if there was a more natural way to get the timing right because my body was so sensitive to medication. Dr. Shah also suggested transferring two embryos instead of one during this round because it would increase the odds of having one of them "stick." The third time we did a modified natural cycle, were I took a lot less medicine and got my blood drawn more frequently, and we transferred two embryos. I also tapered off of the progesterone at 12 weeks, and went on to have a healthy pregnancy and delivered my son at 40 weeks.
When I first started with them, Bridgit was my nurse and she was WONDERFUL! Everything was organized and she knew my protocol. After Shady Grove purchased Virginia Fertility Associates, things started to change. I almost never saw the same nurse (or Shah for that matter), and my calls went through to a nurse line rather than a designated nurse. People messed up my protocol multiple times, and I just felt very overlooked and forgotten.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
I'm not sure if they grew too quickly, but the service became horrible when Shady Grove took over Virginia Fertility Associates. I no longer saw Dr. Shah at every appointment, and was disappointed when he was unable to do my egg retrieval. The doctors seemed to be overbooked at multiple locations, and not everyone has the same bedside manner. The office double charged us on several occasions, and our insurance didn't cover anything, so that left us stressed out and having to comb through every bill to make sure we weren't being overcharged. It just caused a lot of anxiety during an already stressful event. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of positive comments for the clinic, I just really liked Dr. Shah.
It's been a few years, but I believe each IUI was roughly $1,500 not including the medications and ultrasounds. Then we did the Shared Risk plan for IVF and that cost about $30,000 (not including all medications or ultrasounds) so we had to take out a loan with a company they worked with.
Prior to my miscarriages, Dr. Shah was pretty adamant about only transferring one embryo at a time. He said he did not want an, "Octo-Mom situation," as it's not healthy for either the mom or babies. After my miscarriages, however, he said the chance of both sticking was slim and that the benefits outweighed the risk in terms of me being able to have a healthy pregnancy and baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
On several occasions I had my protocol changed by Dr. Shah, but the nurses had no note of it. I had to show them my own notes and then have them confirm with the doctor. I also took time off work for an early morning appointment, and when I got there, they said I wasn't on the books, even though I received a reminder call the day prior. They then told me I also couldn't be fit in that day and would have to reschedule.

2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Shah for the consult and the follow up, but he didn't perform my HSG or ultrasound. I did feel he took care with my charts, so this didn't seem a disadvantage ... Dr. Shah is professional and friendly and puts us at ease. He is very confident and explains things clearly. I like that he walked us through why he was recommending a certain treatment plan, and that he took the financial aspect seriously.
The lab is located on the floor below so it is easy to schedule the semen analysis. The only weakness [of Shady Grove Fertility] is the hours of operation. There are no extended hours, and most of the procedure appointments are available before noon only. Scheduling was hard. It was difficult for us to navigate our work schedules to complete these appointments. It would have been so much easier even if they had some availability until 5 PM or 6.
How was your experience with Anish Shah at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond?
Dr. Shah is professional and friendly and puts us at ease. He is very confident and explains things clearly. I like that he walked us through why he was recommending a certain treatment plan, and that he took the financial aspect seriously. He went over the standard treatment options and the average success rates of each, and didn't jump immediately to either the most expensive option that we might not need, or the least expensive option that wouldn't give results. He showed us clear data, answered all of our questions, and definitely made us feel more hopeful about getting pregnant! The only thing I wish he did differently would be his approach to genetic testing. He told us it was a requirement for treatment, but we were told by our care coordinator that we had the option to accept or decline testing. Based on our medical histories, genetic testing was the right decision, but I would have preferred that he put the decision in our hands. Overall my spouse and I appreciate his skills and demeanor and are happy with our choice of having him as our doctor.
Dr. Shah works at a clinic in partnership with other doctors. They take turns being on call for different procedures, and a lot of those procedures are based on your cycle. If you need a certain procedure on a specific day and Dr. Shah is not on call, another doctor will perform the procedure. I saw Dr. Shah for the consult and the follow up, but he didn't perform my HSG or ultrasound. I did feel he took care with my charts, so this didn't seem a disadvantage, and the doctors who performed the procedures had excellent bedside manner and told me each step of the process as they did it. My care was excellent and this did not seem to impact my standard of care, but it can throw you if you're not expecting to see a different doctor.
Dr. Shah was personable and friendly, and made an effort to connect. He explained everything in easy to understand terms and seemed to remember details about us from our initial consult to the follow up.
Dr. Shah recommended Clomid with IUI. My test results were all in normal range, and my spouse had low end of normal results for his SA, except for his morphology being at 0. He was prescribed supplements to enhance the quality of the sperm. Dr. explained the data - with minor male factor we have a 4% chance of conceiving on our own. Using Clomid with IUI will increase our chances to 12-14% by creating more opportunity and making the path more direct for conception. Since we are healthy and not yet 30, he recommended this course of treatment as having the best cost-to-chances of success ratio. If that is not successful after a few months we would talk about IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond. (Assigned nurse: Jonessa)
We saw Jonessa after our first consult with Dr. Shah. He was very kind and knowledgeable. My anxiety levels were high, especially trying to process the information we had just learned. I hadn't known what to expect and was overwhelmed at all of the bloodwork and diagnostic procedures we needed to do for our prescreening. Jonessa slowly and clearly explained the timing of each procedure as well as the anticipated cost. She answered all of my questions and was patient when I wasn't sure how to word something. Her demeanor was reassuring and she made sure we knew our rights as patients. After this initial meeting we have been in contact with several staff members and nurses. Everyone has been exceedingly helpful and kind. If they don't know the information I am looking for, they connect me with the person who does. I can always be confident about a quick follow up. When we went for our genetic testing blood draw, my husband got woozy. The nurses got him a pillow and fed him a juice box! Quality treatment. The staff are really what put me at ease so I feel confident going into the clinic.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The clinic environment is pleasant and clean. They have a Keurig in the waiting room, and an encouragement board where you can write notes to others on the same journey. The lab is located on the floor below so it is easy to schedule the semen analysis. The only weakness is the hours of operation. There are no extended hours, and most of the procedure appointments are available before noon only. Scheduling was hard. It was difficult for us to navigate our work schedules to complete these appointments. It would have been so much easier even if they had some availability until 5 PM or 6.
Appointment with Dr. Shah (consult/followup) - $140 Transvaginal Ultrasound - $230 on site Office visit for Ultrasound - $65 HSG procedure - $1170
Stony Point

Dr. Steingold has been an excellent source of knowledge and support in a very difficult time for our family. He is always professional however very personable and compassionate. My husband and I feel he truly wants us to succeed in our journey to parenthood with the least invasive options.... I have done two IUIs. Each with 2.5 letrozole for a few days at the beginning of my cycle. The first cycle the initial vaginal ultrasound was completed during my period. In the second cycle the vaginal ultrasound was completed mid cycle
Not necessarily Dr Steingold but all fertility patient's, be forthcoming with your personal goals, timeline and plan of care up front and through out the process.
Our initial consultation was over a hour long. A lot more thorough and helpful than I ever anticipated. I know he has many patients on his caseload but at he then beginning gf each appointment he reviews my chart and remembers exactly where we left off. Dr Steingold always takes the time to ensure we have understanding of our plan of care, answers questions and he and is team returns phone messages in a timely manner. I have never felt rushed.
I have done two IUIs. Each with 2.5 letrozole for a few days at the beginning of my cycle. The first cycle the initial vaginal ultrasound was completed during my period. In the second cycle the vaginal ultrasound was completed mid cycle as monitoring to plan the date of the IUI. Both IUIs I used an OTC ovulation kit and called in the clinic after I received a peak test. With first IUI I had costochondritis and odd swelling of my leg calf. My PCP worked me up for these. Assumed they were from affects of letrozole as I had no other changes in meds or lifestyle. Both issued resolved. No issues with second IUI. After two unsuccessful IUIs I had an HSG. Preparing for third IUI now.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond. (Assigned nurse: Deb and Bridgit)
Dr. Steingold's nursing team is outstanding!!! I know they are super busy during the day. I am a nightmare patient because I can't answer my cell phone during the day at work. They always returned calls within a few hours of leaving a message. They were very helpful, supportive and compassionate with our previous procedures and ongoing care.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The Virginia Fertility Associates merged with Shady Grove Fertility in Jan 2019. We have notices a huge change for the worst since the change. My phone calls I have been put on hold much more often and much longer. I waited over an hour and a half to be seen for an appointment that I had had scheduled for over a week. Thankfully I did not have to return to work afterwards or I would have had to leave and wait another cycle to return for this specific appointment. It has also taken 3-4 weeks to get a copy of our receipts to submit to FSA which prior to 2019 we could get in a week or two. With Shady Grove taking over, I now feel like a number and not a human in regards to the clinic. If we didn't have the rapport with Dr Steingold we would switch to VCU's fertility clinic.
Consultation: was covered by insurance- copay $30 Monitoring Ultrasounds: covered by insurance co pay $30, bill ~$40 IUI: Sperm wash- $200, IUI- $300 HSG: covered by insurance ~$80 Letrozole: Covered by insurance first cycle .28 cents, second cycle $1.25
Kenneth Steingold (retired)

2021, Successful
Dr. Johnston is a compassionate doctor. I felt very comfortable and at ease with her during every visit. I never left an appointment with questions and she took her time to make sure I understood and consented to every step of our fertility plan. She made me feel very involved in the planning process...she expressed her hopefulness for me which was contagious.
The office [at Shady Grove Fertility Richmond] is clean and welcoming and the number of locations are convenient...There are many doctors in the office so you'll have no problem being assigned someone...The staff took too long to call me back with results. Often I'd wait almost 2 weeks and then I'd have to call or send a message to get results or follow ups. From the first call to me taking my first pill was 6 months and it should not have been that long.
Be patient and open minded.
Dr. Johnston is a wonderful listener. I explained my health history to her and she never made me feel bad for my infertility. Despite it all, she expressed her hopefulness for me which was contagious.
We decided to start with medicated cycles. I was prescribed 5mgs of letrozole and Ovidrel. As explained to me, these medications are more effective for me as a person with PCOS. After 1 cycle with these medications, I tested positive with a viable pregnancy.
The nursing staff was very kind and happy. The team's speed of communication is an area of opportunity. Often I had to reach out to them when I was told I would hear from the nursing team in a few days. More often than not, 2 weeks would pass before I heard anything from them. I assume this is because they are used to being pestered by patients and weren't used to my relaxed style.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility Richmond.
The office is clean and welcoming and the number of locations are convenient. They decorate for the seasons and love to celebrate every milestone. There are many doctors in the office so you'll have no problem being assigned someone.
My treatment was not very expensive, especially when compared to other treatments. In total, we spent about $1,500 with STI testing for both myself and my husband, various screenings, genetic testing, and prescription medications. We did use our health insurance for many of the required tests.