6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
While I am sure she [Dr. Rebecca Chason] is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work...Demand more, do your research and ask tons of questions. Don’t assume because they are the Dr they know more. You have to advocate for yourself and what you would like done
They [Shady Grove Fertility] have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly...the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
While I am sure she is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work. After the 3 failed IUI I reached out about a change to my regimen because clearly what I was on was not working. They said no it would stay the same and I was responding well. Well after 2 more failed attempts Dr. chasen now wants to talk about changing the regimen which I felt was a little late. I aged out of IVF at that particular clinic but never got a change to do a successful retrieval so I moved on to a clinic that didn’t have a age cut off of 45 for your own eggs. I didn’t even bother with the last IUI….more money wasted with no measurable change to the regimen
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
I barely spoke to Dr. Chasen more so her nurse. Overall while they were nice I didn’t feel that they cared as much as I would have liked during this emotionally stressful period. They kept pushing me to do donor egg although my egg reserve was good. I do feel that my failed egg retrieval could have also been avoided if certain things would have been noted before hand.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Chason used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For the IVF…I was on BC pills initially, then Lupron, added in 150 menopour and 275 gonal f. They started high because of my age and I reacted better than they thought so they had to lower the gonal f to 150 so I would not go into ohss. I went into retrieval with them seeing at least 16 follicles mature and ready. I woke up saying they were unable to retrieve any because they could not access my ovaries vaginally and abdominally they saw a blood vessel in front of the ovary and decided to not proceed. It was devastating They then told me that they would not move on with IVF for that reason….no trying to figure out how we can go around that because I clearly responded well. They then moved to IUI which was 100mg clomid for 5 days and on day 3 150 gonal f and day 5 150 gonal f. When I went in each time they saw 2-3 follicles that were mature and ready for insemenation. The sperm was great according to them, but Nothing took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
They nurse was pleasant enough and was available when I had a question. The staff at the clinic were great. I will say that the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly
It was convenient as early as 7am and in and out in 30 mins and still able to get to work in a timely fashion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty good and covered a good amount. The meds were the most expensive part. Without meds IVF was around 4,000. With meds $13,000. IUI meds were about $350 and out of pocket was 1,000
Describe Rebecca Chason's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was just twice that I had to call about results and to know if I was triggering that night as the staff failed to call as the usually did. I was able to reach a night nurse who after looking up the information called me back and said that yes I was to trigger which I would have missed if I was not proactive about calling
Rebecca Chason
Annapolis

2019 - 2021, Successful
I got the sense that the nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] were extremely busy and did not have a lot of time to go over protocols, results, updates, etc. While I felt that they did their best to be responsive, sometimes the information they were conveying was unclear and it was like playing phone tag with the doctor. A few were compassionate but with others it felt like they were trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I believe Dr. Widra is very experienced, but I did not feel that my treatment protocol was particularly individualized and he did not have any interest in trying to uncover what could be causing infertility/miscarriage. As a result, I had several concerns with my treatment protocols that he did not address and our outcomes were different from what he had led us to expect. He also very rarely communicated directly with us and almost all interactions were handled by his nurses. I also felt that because we were likely to have a positive outcome eventually, my case was not prioritized and my treatment timeline was longer than necessary.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask as many questions as possible, and if something he says does not feel right, don't be afraid to raise it. I felt that he was not comfortable with having his treatment protocols questioned, but he was willing to explain his reasoning or make changes if you were persistent.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra is not very personable and does not get to know his patients. Throughout 2 years of seeing him we only had a few visits and he always repeated the same standard talking points. When I had my second miscarriage he called me but was clearly unfamiliar with my case notes and didn't realize it was my second. However, he was fairly responsive and answered our direct questions.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did two medicated cycles with letrozole and timed intercourse that were unsuccessful. At the time, Dr. Widra thought I could have PCOS and it was unclear whether IUI would make a difference. Later, our diagnosis was "unexplained" and we did an IUI with letrozole that led to a pregnancy and miscarriage due to a chromosomal abnormality. This was my second miscarriage and at that point we asked to go to IVF with genetic testing. Dr. Widra agreed this would likely be the most efficient treatment. For my first cycle I was on fairly low doses of gonal-F and Menopur because he still thought I could have PCOS, but I ended up getting a fairly low number of eggs. We did a freeze-all cycle with PGT-A testing. After the retrieval we were encouraged to do a FET immediately, even though we had been very clear that we wanted to bank embryos for future pregnancies and we did not have enough embryos to achieve that. We ended up doing a second egg retrieval with higher levels of gonal-F and Menopur, which led to more eggs being retrieved but fewer making it to the blastocyst stage. The successful embryos were frozen and underwent PGT-A testing, and then we proceeded with a medicated FET that was successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I got the sense that the nursing staff were extremely busy and did not have a lot of time to go over protocols, results, updates, etc. While I felt that they did their best to be responsive, sometimes the information they were conveying was unclear and it was like playing phone tag with the doctor. A few were compassionate but with others it felt like they were trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I chose this clinic because it had the best outcomes in the area by far. The lab seemed very well-run and overall, my treatments were organized. The physicians and the nursing teams were underwhelming and the only reason I stayed with this clinic was because of the outcome metrics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
My health insurance (Cigna, employer sponsored plan) covered all infertility treatment up to $25K after the deductible was met. Without insurance, the cost of each round of treatment without medications would have been between $15-18K. The clinic also offers shared risk and special rates for multiple rounds of IVF, including a refund if you do not have success.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Widra had a strong preference for eSET, and we agreed. He said that particularly since we were doing an FET with tested embryos that eSET was the best option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were very clear that we wanted to bank a certain number of embryos for future pregnancies. Our doctor felt that we could easily achieve this number with one egg retrieval, but that was not the case. Unfortunately, even though we told the doctor and the nursing team several times that we wanted to do another retrieval, they still proceeded as though we were going straight to transfer and pressured us into doing an FET right away. We were also started on a treatment protocol they said could be for a retrieval, but when we refused to do an FET we were told we couldn't do a retrieval and ended up having to wait an extra two months because of the inappropriate protocol and then lab closures for holidays. Everyone was extremely defensive about this and refused to apologize for the delays or try to move up the timeline. We were also told frequently that because of our age we had "plenty of time" so the delays were not a big deal. The only offer they made during this time was to let us switch to a different doctor, but said this would further delay our timeline.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
I felt the doctor [Dr. Eric Widra] was honest, and straight forward. I wish that there was more focus on ensuring the patient understood the process, and more hand holding...He was straight forward and direct. I felt like i could ask questions that i had and would get an answer. He is personable. I liked that we were able to access him as needed, and could get on his calendar for check ins. He's not overly verbose. I would have liked to be more informed around why he's making the decisions he is making as it pertained to protocol decisions.
[Shady Grove Fertility] Strength: Convenient location; broad network of doctors; decent sart/cdc stats Weakness: Patient needs to stay on top of every item to make sure nothing slips through the cracks - validate prescription, validate doses, ensure financial packages offered match to what the doctor advised (for us we had hiccups with this), validate costs and contract fine print, etc. Going through IVF is akin to having a part time job
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask direct questions. Communicate your overall family planning needs
I felt the doctor was honest, and straight forward. I wish that there was more focus on ensuring the patient understood the process, and more hand holding throughout the process by either the Dr, the Nurses or even a separate support staff.
Antagonist with Birth Control Pill priming x2 Antagonist with Estrogen Patch/Cetrotide priming x1 rational is unclear that wasn't discussed with me. We switched to Estrogen Patch to to belief that BCP might have been suppressing me
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: 3 different nurses)
Generally compassionate, but to the point. Not a lot of hand holding or time taken to really make sure it was understood. In general, questions were answered as asked. But information isn't 'pushed' to the patient. I mostly relied on Reddit to learn about the process, and what i need to ask in order to advocate for myself
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$25.6K USD - 2 cycle freeze all embryo banking w/ PGT-A testing $29K Shared Risk program, subsequent refund received due to lack of results
none
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The approach our doctor was advising, is not what the financial team presented. We found out 1 business day before our payment was due, that the package and contract we were about to sign, does not support the treatment plan the doctor recommended. This resulted in unnecessary stress and last minute decisions around how to proceed. With financial impacts.
Washington DC

I saw Dr. Sagoskin once to consult on my treatment plan. Then I was assigned a nurse, which acts a go between for you and the doctor, but my nurse changed multiple times...We were told the consultation would take 30 minutes, but we probably were with him for 10 minutes...He gave us a diagnosis of unexplained infertility and recommended an IUI treatment cycle for three months. I was hesitant and wanted to try timed intercourse with the fertility drugs first, which he agreed to.
SGF definitely has a lot of experience treating infertility, as evidenced from the always crowded waiting rooms at the clinic. And while your treatment plan may be personalized, you shouldn't expect to get a lot of personal attention, as you see and communicate with different doctors and nurses during and between each appointment...Despite these shortcomings, I got the result I wanted and am now 10 weeks pregnant, and I know other women who have also had successful pregnancies as a result of treatment at SGF.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Our initial consult with Dr. Sagoskin was the only time we saw him. He gave us a diagnosis of unexplained infertility and recommended an IUI treatment cycle for three months. I was hesitant and wanted to try timed intercourse with the fertility drugs first, which he agreed to. We ended up switching to his original IUI plan during the next cycle. We were told the consultation would take 30 minutes, but we probably were with him for 10 minutes.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
SGF felt like a factory. I saw Dr. Sagoskin once to consult on my treatment plan. Then I was assigned a nurse, which acts a go between for you and the doctor, but my nurse changed multiple times. And while the factory produced effective results, it wasn't always efficient (i.e. scheduling problems, long wait times). My husband was also diagnosed with a pituitary tumor during our treatment at SGF, which is why I decided to switch from timed intercourse (with fertility drugs) to IUI, but not once did the doctor or nurse ask how he was doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Leah/Allyson/Priscilla)
Something happened to the first nurse I was assigned to. I was handed off to a new nurse and then later handed off again to another nurse. They usually answered my email questions or provided after visit instructions after appointments via the phone during the week, but during the weekend or sometimes even during the week, I would end up getting instructions from completely different nurses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF definitely has a lot of experience treating infertility, as evidenced from the always crowded waiting rooms at the clinic. And while your treatment plan may be personalized, you shouldn't expect to get a lot of personal attention, as you see and communicate with different doctors and nurses during and between each appointment. Have patience and ask for payment receipts as their front desk seems to be switching between payment and scheduling systems. Don't feel pressured to pay your account balance when you check out before receiving an itemized bill -- I was asked to do this several times and got annoyed not knowing what treatments/tests I was being asked to pay for. Despite these shortcomings, I got the result I wanted and am now 10 weeks pregnant, and I know other women who have also had successful pregnancies as a result of treatment at SGF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance (Kaiser) was able to adjust the below prices and covered 50% of my treatments, except the OB ultrasounds. SGF applied a self-pay discount for these. I got my fertility drugs from a combination of the Kaiser pharmacy and RARX pharmacy for about $100 each cycle; the latter was recommended by SGF. IUI: $360 OB ultrasound: $230 Regular transvaginal ultrasound: $215 Blood draws: $15 Blood tests: $65-90 Initial consult: $160
Rockville

[Dr. Anitha Nair] always seemed too busy and in a rush to answer our questions...often describe my result in vague terms, and we had to push her to get actual numbers - for example what my fsh/amh levels were. When she advised that we were going to be withdrawn from the shared risk program she joked, “now you guys can take the money and go buy a boat!” She meant it to be a joke, but it was quite hurtful in the moment and revealed that she didn’t seem to be really in touch with the pain that we were going through.
Shady grove is a big clinic, you rarely see a Dr. Or your nurse in person who is informed about the details of your case...can choose to terminate you from their shared risk program at any time...We were not informed of the pros and cons or fresh vs. frozen transfers...We had issues with communication and did not feel supported when we had to make serious decisions...did not feel like we got an individualized treatment plan tailored to my case.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had issues with communication and did not feel supported when we had to make serious decisions. It would be difficult to get a complete overview of the facts of my case from Dr. Nair. She always seemed too busy and in a rush to answer our questions. She would often describe my result in vague terms, and we had to push her to get actual numbers - for example what my fsh/amh levels were. When she advised that we were going to be withdrawn from the shared risk program she joked, “now you guys can take the money and go buy a boat!” She meant it to be a joke, but it was quite hurtful in the moment and revealed that she didn’t seem to be really in touch with the pain that we were going through.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Try to work with a different Dr.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
The Dr. Was always rushed in her manner when speaking with us. She did not give us time to ask questions. We had to be very demanding and pushy if we wanted to g e.g. straight facts, which was unsettling. It felt as if we were trying different combinations of drugs without purpose, did not feel like we got an individualized treatment plan tailored to my case.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We were told a fresh transfer was the best way to go, and at the time we didn’t have the knowledge to question this. We tried clomid and I “over responded” once leading to a cancelled IUI cycle. We next tried IVF and when I asked why we didn’t try clocks in conjunction with this, it was brushed off. I now understand this is done by other clinics, so I’m not sure why it was disregarded. For two cycles of IVF, I was on Lupron, Gonal, and Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
The nursing staff was more helpful in answering questions (through the patient portal) than Dr. Nair. However, because Shady grove is a big clinic, you rarely see a Dr. Or your nurse in person who is informed about the details of your case. This is somewhat frustrating because you cannot ask them about your results and what they mean in terms of the bigger picture of your treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The “shared risk” program is not advertised accurately on their website. They have reviews stating that you don’t have to worry about “paying a penny” for 6 cycles of IVF. In reality, you are responsible for all medication costs and Shady grove can choose to terminate you from their shared risk program at any time. I know several couples who this has happened to, and it is not clear how these cases are counted in their overall advertised numbers of “success.” I fear that they are not included, this leading to artificially elevated numbers.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
IUIs: approximately $10,000 IVF cycles: approximately $40,00
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were not informed of the pros and cons or fresh vs. frozen transfers.

2020, Consult
Investor
Dr Moon was great for the initial consult and we came to her from a recommendation. We never saw her again. She was thorough and explained things fine, but she felt more like a salesperson given that she never performed any medical operations...She allowed multiple embryo transfer but advised us against it...The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us.
We had our initial consult with Dr Moon [at Shady Grove Fertility], but we never saw her again. The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us...The doctors don't really matter in the end, you only deal with the clinical and administrative staff...The nurse and care coordinator do not respond to messages, would not answer questions in any way that would provide a real answer, and also do not read your chart prior to speaking with you. They asked our egg donor right before she was going under for the egg retrieval how many eggs she was keeping FOR HERSELF. She advised that she was DONATING them, but they asked her multiple times if she was keeping any for herself. We used a known egg donor, and we had to explain the situation thousands of times to everyone we spoke to. They also treated the partner (me) who was not donating sperm as not involved in the process at all, despite the fact that I coordinated all of the care.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't bother with Shady Grove - they are terrible. The doctors don't really matter in the end, you only deal with the clinical and administrative staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had our initial consult with Dr Moon, but we never saw her again. The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Doris Thomas)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is terrible. It is a premium service where they treat you like garbage. They are disorganized. We got passed around to multiple coordinators and they forgot to tell us. The process is stressful and expensive and Shady Grove makes you feel like a dollar sign without providing any sort of premium service at all. The facilities are nice and we had a good medical outcome, but the process to get there was miserable.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
$19k for egg retrieval $8k for drugs $1,500 for required social work $1,000 for genetic counseling $3,000 for miscellaneous fees
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
She allowed multiple embryo transfer but advised us against it.
How competent was Shady Grove Fertility at LGBTQ care?
They were OK with LGBTQ. We used a known egg donor who was related to me and used my (male) partner's sperm. I was often not included in things because I had no medical interaction, but I coordinated all of the care. They never bother to read your chart, so you have to explain every time you speak with someone what the situation is, which can be uncomfortable. They never were discriminatory, but they were far from thoughtful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
They never return your call, they do not read your chart, they switched our clinical coordinator without telling us, they failed to keep us updated on the results of the biopsy, and they asked our egg donor if she wanted to keep eggs for herself. They also would not show our egg donor how to do the shots, would not even help her with the first round. They also made us order a full batch of drugs and then only used 1/4 of them, so we had to pay $8k and only used $2k worth of drugs.
Kimberly Moon

2020, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Anitha Nair] was nice, but we only interacted with her twice during seven months of treatment, once at the consult, and once in a video appointment after our first few rounds of treatment failed. She was very optimistic, which when everything failed made us feel like the optimism was unrealistic...In six of the cycles we did IUIs, all failed.
The nurses and staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] were very nice, communication through the portal was responsive...we only spoke to the doctor once after the initial consultation. It was a lonely, impersonal, and disappointing process for the most part, and there didn’t seem to be much available in the way of support groups or other support resources
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was nice, but we only interacted with her twice during seven months of treatment, once at the consult, and once in a video appointment after our first few rounds of treatment failed. She was very optimistic, which when everything failed made us feel like the optimism was unrealistic.
Insist on a frank and realistic explanation of your chances of success.
Over about seven months of treatment we only spoke to the doctor once after the initial consultation. After the first few cycles failed, we had to wait a couple weeks but eventually had a video appointment with the doctor, and she was nice. We decided to do a few more cycles of treatment, which all failed as well. It was a lonely, impersonal, and disappointing process for the most part, and there didn’t seem to be much available in the way of support groups or other support resources. The nurse sent an encouraging message before a procedures once during six cycles of treatment, otherwise we just showed up for appointments, and staff were nice and efficient but it was impersonal. After our last treatment failed, that was it, there were no condolences and no follow-up, except of course for billing.
We did seven Clomid cycles, adding Gonal F after the first few failed, but it did not help the number of follicles. In six of the cycles we did IUIs, all failed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
They nursing staff were nice and efficient. Once I got incorrect instructions over the phone, but had the written protocol and was able to conform the correct instructions. Once the nurse for my case helped make sure I was able to get medication when it was added to my protocol on short notice, which I appreciated even though it was out of pocket.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The nurses and staff were very nice, communication through the portal was responsive. Our non-IVF treatment was not successful, and when our first few cycles failed there seemed to be an expectation that we would continue to IVF, even though it wasn’t a good option for us. Over about seven months of treatment we only spoke to the doctor once after the initial consultation. It was a lonely, impersonal, and disappointing process for the most part, and there didn’t seem to be much available in the way of support groups or other support resources.
My insurance covered half of most costs. It added up to thousands of dollars out of pocket. Our treatment failed, but we’re still getting bills for $100 here and $130 there, and those will continue for months as they work through it with our insurance. The bills are depressing reminders of the failed treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Once I was given incorrect information about when to take my medication. I was given a written protocol with the correct information and was able to confirm the correct information through the message system.
Arlington

As unexplained infertility patients [of Dr. Swelstad], it was really a bummer that we didn't find any answers or did any extra tests to have a more accurate diagnosis. Although I really appreciated that we went into the IUI cycle in full immersion, trying everything from the beginning. I wish there was more interaction with him, also if it was just via email...There weren't extra tests done, just standard...when they realized I had too many mature follicles. The dr who saw the result (no Swelstad), called me and explain that there was a high risk of multiple pregnancy, so it was protocol to stop the cycle. If we decided to go ahead and have timed intercourse (IUI was out of the pics at this point), we should have consider the possibility of selective reduction in the future. We agree that that wasn't a problem and went ahead. We are now in the 2 weeks wait
I forgot my insurance card, but I had the app with all the important numbers. The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] is not really digitalized, so couldn't just insert my patient numb, they had to make a paper copy of my card. In 2019 seemed weird. Financial person didn't contact us, but waited for us to contact him. I would have like to have somebody to talk to us right away...Nursing staff was nice and always understanding, also when I was crying really hard, due to my hormone imbalance.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
As unexplained infertility patients, it was really a bummer that we didn't find any answers or did any extra tests to have a more accurate diagnosis. Although I really appreciated that we went into the IUI cycle in full immersion, trying everything from the beginning. I wish there was more interaction with him, also if it was just via email
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
expect no special treatment
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
There weren't extra tests done, just standard.
Describe the protocols Brad Swelstad used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
we did day 3 to 7 of letrozole since I already tried clomid with my OBG with no success. It follow with Gonal f on day 7 and 9 and then we went in for blood work at day 11, when they realized I had too many mature follicles. The dr who saw the result (no Swelstad), called me and explain that there was a high risk of multiple pregnancy, so it was protocol to stop the cycle. If we decided to go ahead and have timed intercourse (IUI was out of the pics at this point), we should have consider the possibility of selective reduction in the future. We agree that that wasn't a problem and went ahead. We are now in the 2 weeks wait
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Staff at the front desk wasn't extremely friendly. It didn't bother me too much, but it did bother my husband. I forgot my insurance card, but I had the app with all the important numbers. The clinic is not really digitalized, so couldn't just insert my patient numb, they had to make a paper copy of my card. In 2019 seemed weird. Financial person didn't contact us, but waited for us to contact him. I would have like to have somebody to talk to us right away. But it's all ok
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility.
we didn't pay for the first appointment, only for the meds (around $300 +/-), second ultrasound and blood work ($150 +/-)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
once they told us that the drugs were being ordered, I called my pharmacy, but they couldn't verify the doctor name. So it took an extra day before I could pick up the meds
Brad Swelstad
Fair Oaks

Dr. Bromer is kind, gentle and positive. He doesn't provide false hope but is genuine and truly works hard to help get the best outcome for each family. ... We have been thankful for his straight forward and thorough professional oppinions. He tends to encourage couple's to slow down for optimal outcome rather than rushing to treatments that haven't been fully thought through.
There's was 1-2 times when SA results were concluded and we waited over a week to hear from a nurse. ... They provide verbal and written instructions with the option to call at any time. They also provide video resources for additional support. The only challenge for us was have to drive out of town so frequently due to limited services provided at the Hagerstown SG [Shady Grove] office ... Jamie Dean- very thorough and quick to respond to patient portal emails and phone calls.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer quickly and easily established a rapport with my husband and I! He has a happy and genuine personality that keeps the mood positive during a very emotional time. We have been thankful for his straight forward and thorough professional oppinions. He tends to encourage couple's to slow down for optimal outcome rather than rushing to treatments that haven't been fully thought through. We love Dr. Bromer!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take his word and trust him because he truly wants to see you and your spouse become parents it just may take time to come up with the best plan for you and your family!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We were referred to Dr. Shin (urologist) to further asses male factor complications. We worked thoroughly with Dr. Shin for almost 8 months . Dr. Bromer continued to keep up on our file and check in. We are about to begin IVF after egg retrieval and a male microdissection due to azoospermia, with donor sperm as a backup to insure IVF is completed. Dr. Bromer and Dr. Shin have worked phenomenally together and with us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer initially; Jamie Dean for IVF)
Jamie Dean- very thorough and quick to respond to patient portal emails and phone calls. She was available to answer my many questions and super helpful in a crunched timeline.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The process of fertility treatments can be super overwhelming. There's so much information provided but SG wants you to leave understanding it all. They provide verbal and written instructions with the option to call at any time. They also provide video resources for additional support. The only challenge for us was have to drive out of town so frequently due to limited services provided at the Hagerstown SG office which made things complicated with work and time off. I'd love to see more opportunities available in the Hagerstown office.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
$1900 for shared risk program, $8,500 microdissection, $1200 varicocele repair, $120 clomid, $3,000 genetic testing for me and my spouse, $1000 for donor sperm, this doesn't include thousands for copays for consultations, follow-ups and blood work.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There's was 1-2 times when SA results were concluded and we waited over a week to hear from a nurse. Once I was able to reach them they were very apologetic and passionate.
Hagerstown

he [Dr. Sagoskin] is very blunt. So if you need that compassion, you will not get it from him...I did a 2 and 3rd cycle of non-medicated IUIs. Both failed and the of course the next treatment option recommended is IVF. Instead of trying to figure out what our issue is or at least taking the time to rule out issues, IVF is suggested. I just think it would be wise to attempt to find our issue so the IVF has a chance of being successful. I realize someone couples have unexplained fertility, but that means due diligence was given to find a diagnosis. I’m so confused how they would continue treatment on me not ever attempting to see if they can find my issue.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility-Rockville] for the most part is ok. It’s clean, they have convenient appointment availability, and you are in an out. I would say it feels kind of like an assembly line with ladies lining up back to back. It’s not a warm feeling and the vibe feeling more like a commercial business than a doctors office...It was just like I was another number at this clinic and with this doctor. My individual case was not taken into consideration or seriously. My voice and concerns were not heard. When I asked questions or voiced my concerns, I was ignored.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had one office visit with Dr. S and one telephone visit. Each time, it ended with me in tears. It was mostly because of his lack of compassion...if you need that from your fertility doctor, you will not get that from him. My husband was ok with his bluntness and lack of bedside manner, but it just elevated my already sensitive feelings. He made me feel worse than what I was already feeling due to my problems with infertility. He is also quick to jump to IVF which was also a problem for me. He never gave me a diagnosis which also troubled me since he was so quick to “prescribe” IVF. I can’t say it was anything I liked about him because I only had 2 visits with him. And those 2 visits were not pleasant. Nurses and other doctors completed my IUIs and I’m only allowed to communicate with him through his nurse. The nurses are not much better and blow off my questions I asked about non-invasive treatment options.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t look for compassion...he is very blunt. So if you need that compassion, you will not get it from him.
Describe the protocols Arthur Sagoskin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. S ordered the “regular” initial treatments for us. Without having a diagnosis for our infertility. He suggested 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid. After the 1 failed IUI with Clomid, when I went for the 2nd IUI, I had developed cysts (detectable via ultrasound). He then advised I skip that cycle and try another IUI cycle the following month. Since I don’t have any fertility diagnosis, I didn’t want to keep taking Clomid since my body was not reacting positively to it, so I asked him if I could do an non-medicated IUI. He complied and I did a 2 and 3rd cycle of non-medicated IUIs. Both failed and the of course the next treatment option recommended is IVF. Instead of trying to figure out what our issue is or at least taking the time to rule out issues, IVF is suggested. I just think it would be wise to attempt to find our issue so the IVF has a chance of being successful. I realize someone couples have unexplained fertility, but that means due diligence was given to find a diagnosis. I’m so confused how they would continue treatment on me not ever attempting to see if they can find my issue.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The first nurse I had was very good (Helanie). However, she left the location and after she was left, the nurse I got was random. Once Helanie left, the nursing experience went down. The replacement did not take time to know my situation or where I was in the process.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic for the most part is ok. It’s clean, they have convenient appointment availability, and you are in an out. I would say it feels kind of like an assembly line with ladies lining up back to back. It’s not a warm feeling and the vibe feeling more like a commercial business than a doctors office.
My insurance paid 50% and I would have to pay the other 50% at the end of each visit.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The one problem I had when I was a new patient is that they hadn’t called in my prescriptions. It wasn’t a huge deal but I did have to wait at the pharmacy for quite some time to get it worked out.
Rockville

[Dr. Lorna Timmreck] didn't seem to care about us as patients and was always very rushed. Her responses were passive at every meeting, which was only two or three times during my 3 attempts at Timed Intercourse...Dr. Timmerick was very passive and seemed more like she was going through a routine and reading off cue cards than actually listening, providing answers, and caring about me as a person.
My nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was a mess; she was my main contact at Shady Grove and never had any clue who I was, my history, or what treatment I was doing...they were to schedule weekend testing for me at Rockville but Rockville had no information on me having been scheduled when I arrived...The clinic staff in Columbia never had any clue who I was, my history, or what treatment I was doing. They actually sent me lab results from another patient with a similar name and were moving forward with treatment based on those results until I noticed it and had it corrected. I had a few experiences for testing at Rockville and Towson locations and they seemed better but would be too far a distance for me to go there regularly.
How was your experience with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Timmerick didn't seem to care about us as patients and was always very rushed. Her responses were passive at every meeting, which was only two or three times during my 3 attempts at Timed Intercourse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
My nurse was a mess; she was my main contact at Shady Grove and never had any clue who I was, my history, or what treatment I was doing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Again, they tried to schedule treatments for me based on lab results they uploaded for me, which I noticed were for another patient and were just erroneously uploaded to my chart. There were two instances where my medications weren't called in; they claimed it was the pharmacy's error but I work with the same pharmacy with a different clinic now and have no issues so am inclined to believe it was their problem. There was also an instance where they were to schedule weekend testing for me at Rockville but Rockville had no information on me having been scheduled when I arrived.
Lorna Timmreck
Columbia

Before my IUI, My primary doctor found that my thyroid was WAY off (hypothyroid) and Dr Khan , knowing this, still followed through with the IUI that I paid for out of pocket. *I* then had to ask him after I learned that it failed, if my thyroid could have caused the IUI to fail, he said I was correct my thyroid wasn’t optimal for fertility and to go and seek an Endocrinologist...he was quick to wave off newer studies I’ve found. I let him because he’s the doctor, not me. My test came back with high FSH and possible clotting disorder. Otherwise “unexplained infertility”. I asked if I should take baby aspirin, “it’s not part of our protocol” I pushed back “will it hurt if I take baby aspirin.
Everyone [at Shady Grove Fertility] responds to emails very quickly. Everyone is very kind and welcoming. I never had any issue with communication or treatment from nurses. Phone calls aren’t the best, they prefer email...My IUI was not covered my insurance, $1,800 for IUI...This clinic is run very smoothly and timely. The clinic is very clean and accommodating for my family. (I have a 3 year old son who had to be snuck in a few times). The staff is friendly. They have weekend hours at different locations that isn’t too far away from where we live. I just don’t appreciate how I was treated as a number by the doctor.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am all around disappointed. Honestly, from the start I was a little put off by feeling like a number. It’s the closest clinic to my house, so, I stayed when I shouldn’t have. Dr, Khan did take the time to hear me out most of the time when we had a meeting. But, he was quick to wave off newer studies I’ve found. I let him because he’s the doctor, not me. My test came back with high FSH and possible clotting disorder. Otherwise “unexplained infertility”. I asked if I should take baby aspirin, “it’s not part of our protocol” I pushed back “will it hurt if I take baby aspirin. Since it could help prevent another miscarriage?” “no it won’t hurt anything”. Alrighty fighting for clarity and treatment as an individual and it was only the beginning. One medicated timed intercourse failed. Then I set up for an IUI, our insurance doesn’t cover it, in Northern VA fertility treatment is very pricey. I then went to my primary doctor who ran regular tests and found my thyroid was off (hypothyroid). A few days before IUI I told my clinic about my thyroid levels they “‘made note of it”. Went ahead with the IUI. It failed. I then discovered that my levels were way off for fertility and could be a reason for infertility and early miscarriage. When I brought this up to doctor Khan he said “yes. Your thyroid is not optimal for fertility. If you’d like, go and see an Endocrinologist”. That was the last contact I had with this clinic. I won’t be returning. They took my money and instead of holding off on the IUI that was perhaps destined for failure from the start and waited for my thyroid levels to regulate, they did the IUI. And I had to figure out for myself that my thyroid being off needed to be taken seriously. So frustrating and disheartening. You must be your own advocate. Ask questions. Do your own research!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your own research. Be your own advocate. Ask all of the questions. Be persistent. Also, don’t be afraid to go somewhere for a second opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Being diagnosed unexplained and then forced to follow their “protocol” for Medicated timed intercourse. First, they found my tests showed clotting disorder and told me taking baby aspirin wasn’t part of their protocol. Before my IUI, My primary doctor found that my thyroid was WAY off (hypothyroid) and Dr Khan , knowing this, still followed through with the IUI that I paid for out of pocket. *I* then had to ask him after I learned that it failed, if my thyroid could have caused the IUI to fail, he said I was correct my thyroid wasn’t optimal for fertility and to go and seek an Endocrinologist. That was the last contact I had with this clinic. Very disappointing and frustrating. I felt they just took my money without any thought as to what could actually be going on with ME, the patient.
Describe the protocols Naveed Khan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
From my understanding for timed intercourse and IUI - its all the same. I did not do any IVF rounds or egg retrieval’s. For T.I and IUI - take clomid or letrozole starting day 3 of your cycle. Then around day 12 you go into the office for blood work and ultrasound to count follicles to see if you’re ready to take the trigger shot (ovadril). Trigger shot and two days later go in for the IUI. Then follow up with progesterone suppositories until negative blood test. Continue them if positive. My lining was thin during my T.I. and I had to take estrogen suppositories until negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tracey)
Everyone responds to emails very quickly. Everyone is very kind and welcoming. I never had any issue with communication or treatment from nurses. Phone calls aren’t the best, they prefer email.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered the medication for timed intercourse. That price was under 70$ for the clomid, ovadril, and progesterone. My IUI was not covered my insurance, $1,800 for IUI then $175 for medications.
Describe Naveed Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We didn’t do this.
Naveed Khan
Leesburg

2019, 20 Eggs Frozen
I couldn't get a straight answer from her [Dr. Barbara Osborn] about nutrition/supplements to before/during egg freezing. Overall I sometimes felt like I was talking to a customer service or sales rep instead of a doctor - she just was unable to be personable...bedside manner isn't great, but it's not the worst I've ever seen...Doctor expected ~13 eggs per cycle, of which ~9 would be mature. First cycle was way less successful than expected, so they used the same protocol but increased the dosage significantly.
There were some issues with communication [at Shady Grove Fertility], and one very serious error where Rachel had a trainee nurse call me, and she gave me the wrong instructions for medication changes that night. Luckily I had to contact Rachel for something else that day and I was able to catch the error, but if I hadn't, I likely would have lost that entire cycle...$12,500 for an egg freezing cycle: 20 mature eggs or 4 cycles, whichever came first. For 3 cycle, I paid the pharmacy ~$15K. SGF also tried to bill me for blood tests and a consultation with the doctor in between cycles. I was nickel and dimed.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osborne's bedside manner isn't great, but it's not the worst I've ever seen. Fertility clinics seem to be extremely nervous about getting a patient's hopes up, which means they are so neutral that they veer into actually withholding information, and being obtuse. I found Dr. Osborne to be this way. For example, I couldn't get a straight answer from her about nutrition/supplements to before/during egg freezing. Overall I sometimes felt like I was talking to a customer service or sales rep instead of a doctor - she just was unable to be personable.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Come prepared with all your questions, and don't be afraid to press further if you don't get a full answer to a question, or one that you understand.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove as a whole is too large and the way they are set up means less personalized care. Communication should have been better, and errors on the part of the nursing staff would have been less likely with a smaller practice. The financial department has no idea what they are doing and I spend several thousand more than I needed to due to their lack of attention and individual care. SGF is a for-profit business and it shows.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Age: 38, AFC: 18, AMH: 1.58. Doctor expected ~13 eggs per cycle, of which ~9 would be mature. First cycle was way less successful than expected, so they used the same protocol but increased the dosage significantly. Then 3rd cycle they used a different protocol. First 2 cycles: birth control, then antagonist protocol (Gonal-F, Menopur, Cetrotide, Leuprolide trigger). 3rd cycle, no birth control, estrogen priming instead, then same antagonist protocol, except HCG instead of Leuprolide trigger. 1st cycle: 5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature 2nd cycle: 12 eggs retrieved, 8 mature 3rd cycle: 14 eggs retrieved, 9 mature
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Lab)
Overall my nurses were good. I was however disappointed when my primary nurse was promoted to another location and I was abruptly switched to a new nurse with no transition period or explanation beyond, "you're transitioning to a new nurse today." There were some issues with communication, and one very serious error where Rachel had a trainee nurse call me, and she gave me the wrong instructions for medication changes that night. Luckily I had to contact Rachel for something else that day and I was able to catch the error, but if I hadn't, I likely would have lost that entire cycle. I was shocked at how dismissive and non-apologetic Rachel was about the error.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is waaaaaay too big, and people are treated like a number. Read your contract VERY carefully and make sure you understand exactly what is and is not covered. If they ask you to do an additional test or appointment, make sure you check to see if it is included, otherwise you will be stuck with an extra bill. The financial department is also a complete mess. They couldn't have cared less about my questions and they were unresponsive, and sullen on the phone. They didn't do a good job of figuring out my insurance coverage, and I had to make a number of additional calls to my insurer to make sure everything was correct. They also advised me to not bother to check the prices of medications with other pharmacies, since they had a deal with a specific pharmacy. After I had already bought the drugs, I talked to other SGF women who had found drugs from lots of different pharmacies for cheaper. My nurse also did a terrible job of helping me to order the exact right amount of medications for my last cycle, which means I have unusable drugs in my fridge now. They let you donate them back to the clinic, but you can't return them, which is ridiculous. I felt really manipulated and take advantage of by the end of my care at SGF. The care I received from monitoring nurses and retrieval staff was excellent, however.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
Barbara Osborn
Sibley

Dr. Katz seemed compassionate but also seemed over focused on the donor egg option. We felt he treated us only because we wanted to be treated and that he did so with a very pessimistic viewpoint. He didn't seem to want to spend time understanding our unique situation and adapting the treatment protocol accordingly...He would only transfer one embryo at a time.
It [Shady Grove Fertility clinic] seemed like the cheapest option out there and it certainly is set up to draw people in with webinars and fancy marketing materials. The office was very modern and nice. We just felt like a number in a large machine and that it lacked personalization and empathy...My assigned nurses (I had two as there was turn-over while I was there) were nice. They answered my questions.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz seemed compassionate but also seemed over focused on the donor egg option. We felt he treated us only because we wanted to be treated and that he did so with a very pessimistic viewpoint. He didn't seem to want to spend time understanding our unique situation and adapting the treatment protocol accordingly. He seemed to rush from our first treatment into the second and the second option was just larger doses of the hormones rather than trying a different approach. Needless-to-say, we had to cancel the second cycle because my body didn't respond to the hormones.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do a lot of research ahead of time so you can be your own advocate. Know that his clinic does not adapt or try a lot of new protocols so if the ones they use don't work for you, you most likely will need to go somewhere else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The doctors and staff are nice, but it is clear that they are treating a large volume of patients. It felt like we were moved through their office as if we were on a conveyor belt. We felt like it was rather impersonal and inflexible.
Describe the protocols Eugene Katz (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My protocol started with birthcontrol (Nuvaring) for about 20 days, then we went on lupron for 10 days, followed by menapur (350) and follistim (250). After testing, he increased the follistim. The rationale was to stop the body, and then to try and ramp up egg production so that we could retrieve as many as possible. I only retrieved 5 eggs, 3 fertilized, and none made it beyond day 3.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tina and Beth )
My assigned nurses (I had two as there was turn-over while I was there) were nice. They answered my questions. I was rather upset when the turnover happened as I had become dependent on the first nurse and in the midst of all the stress of a cycle, it was hard to adjust to a new one. At times they were hard to get a hold of. The nurses who did the sonograms and drew blood varied in how engaging they were (how much they explained what they were doing when they were doing it) or how well (or not) they took blood. Some of them left pretty large bruises.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It seemed like the cheapest option out there and it certainly is set up to draw people in with webinars and fancy marketing materials. The office was very modern and nice. We just felt like a number in a large machine and that it lacked personalization and empathy.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
Thankfully, we did have insurance coverage. However, even with it we paid $35 per visit, had a $200 initiation fee, and had to put down $1,200 before starting IVF. After one and a half cycles, we owed the clinic an additional $1,000. We had put down $3,500 to do genetic testing (which we never did). When we asked for it to be refunded, they said they had to wait until all of our bills were processed with our insurance company before they would release it. We still have not received it - making the total (with insurance) around $5,700 (so far - I do not know if we will receive more bills).
Describe Eugene Katz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He would only transfer one embryo at a time. He said multiples was too much of a risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had to remind them frequently of my allergies to antibiotics. We also had some issues with scheduling.
Towson

Dr. Levens is soft spoken, but has a great bedside manner. He is not aggressive, so if you are looking for someone who will take a more proactive/aggressive approach, then he is not the doctor for you. He does explain things in great detail if you have any questions...Since his methods are very much cookie cutter and slow/methodical... He is good for someone young and just starting out in the process. If you are older, I would suggest seeing a different doctor.
Strength: At Shady Grove, everything is in one place, so you don't have to go to multiple locations for treatment. Appointments are relatively easy to get, and you can get your bloodwork and ultrasounds done early in the morning before work. Weakness: Shady Grove is just a body shop, and you are just a number there...The coordinator was great when you had her attention. However, getting in touch with her was not easy.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Cookie cutter treatment. It was incredibly difficult to talk to a person when you had questions.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
His approach is the typical cookie cutter approach from Shady Grove. Remember, you are just a number here.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
IUI: $1,800; IUI with injectables: $2,400; IVF: $10,500; FET: $4,600
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He is focused on getting one healthy baby at a time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The only bad experience I had at Shady Grove was being able to get in touch with nursing staff. Results took a while to get; questions took time to answer; and if I wanted to make changes to my protocol, it was difficult to convince the doctor to proceed in a more aggressive or catered fashion.
Fairfax

[Dr. Nancy Durso is] given zero autonomy. If you don’t fit into their data mold, they don’t know what to do with you...She is the only doctor at the Fredericksburg location and the level of care shows that. Her nurses make up for it, but you won’t feel like a priority with her...Know what you want from a treatment cycle and be prepared to push for what you want. Ultimately she only decides the course of treatment and you’ll rarely if ever see her after that...Lowest dosage of all medications and we quickly had to shift to a higher dose over a weekend which led to a poor retrieval count.
Lowest dosage of all medications and we quickly had to shift to a higher dose over a weekend which led to a poor retrieval count [at Shady Grove Fertility]...Andrea [nurse] was fantastic and 100% the only reason we kept seeing Dr. Durso for so long. She is quick to respond, organized, and knows exactly what to say during stressful cycles...From what I understand, there is no option. They only allow eset [single transfer]...is a revolving door powered by data. You are a number. Because I am data driven this seemed fine at first, but when anything throws off their calculations they have no power to pivot or try anything that hasn’t had years of research behind it.
How was your experience with Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is ready for retirement, you can tell she is tired and ready for a break. She is the only doctor at the Fredericksburg location and the level of care shows that. Her nurses make up for it, but you won’t feel like a priority with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your homework. Know what you want from a treatment cycle and be prepared to push for what you want. Ultimately she only decides the course of treatment and you’ll rarely if ever see her after that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady grove doctors are given zero autonomy. If you don’t fit into their data mold, they don’t know what to do with you.
Describe the protocols Nancy Durso used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Andrea)
Andrea was fantastic and 100% the only reason we kept seeing Dr. Durso for so long. She is quick to respond, organized, and knows exactly what to say during stressful cycles.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a revolving door powered by data. You are a number. Because I am data driven this seemed fine at first, but when anything throws off their calculations they have no power to pivot or try anything that hasn’t had years of research behind it.
Efficient. Check in, get a blood draw within minutes. There was usually a good 15min wait for the ultrasound but all in all you were there for maybe 30 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility.
100% covered by insurance
Describe Nancy Durso's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
From what I understand, there is no option. They only allow eset
Nancy Durso
Rockville

I could not have treatment [with Dr. Stephanie Beall] because I did not fall under their BMI limit...I was given hope, was told to go through testing only to find out DURING a transvaginal ultrasound that they would not perform an HSG because they ‘wouldn’t be able to see through the fat’. And that I would not even be able to discuss results of any of the testing unless I had the hsg...She was very dismissive during initial consultation and only discussed what we had questions about. Did not offer to explain or talk about options we did not bring up. Did mention that it would be best for me to lose weight. Did not tell me it would prevent treatment.
[Shady Grove Fertility has] Decent hours, clean office, good ultrasound techs. Won’t treat women over their arbitrary BMI limit. (Upper limit only, no lower limit) Fairly easy to get in contact with for scheduling appts...I did not find out until much later that it is a company policy that they do not treat overweight women (based solely on BMI). Not upfront with information...Care coordinator Alisha was caring and compassionate and made me feel welcome and cared for.
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was fairly rude, dismissive, and seemingly uncaring. I did not find out until much later that it is a company policy that they do not treat overweight women (based solely on BMI). Not upfront with information.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Know that you are treated as a walking BMI, not a person.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I could not have treatment because I did not fall under their BMI limit.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alisha)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Decent hours, clean office, good ultrasound techs. Won’t treat women over their arbitrary BMI limit. (Upper limit only, no lower limit) Fairly easy to get in contact with for scheduling appts. Fairly continent location near 695.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.
Pending
Stephanie Beall
Towson

Soon as she [Dr. Sandy Li] realized my husband had siblings with sickle cell she and her nurse sent repeatedly asked me to reconsider undergoing genetic testing. I declined initially due to the timing of the test. I am not a carrier and am not opposed to genetic testing. Even with a signed decline form, they asked 3-4 times for me to reconsider. Dr. Li herself called and asked me to reconsider taking the testing and that later on, I might not want to keep embryos that have the trait for sickle cell anemia. These delays brought us from October to December. Then they told me they won't start a cycle in December due to the lab undergoing quality assurance. I never heard from her or the nurse again. I reached out and requested a different team in February.
Advocate for yourself [at Shady Grove Fertility]...They had me repeat initial workup tests and then stalled my treatment when I declined genetic testing...Initial workup was 2000 for the testing and repeated tests. Mostly covered by insurance. They quoted me 10000 for IVF...A strength is that they have multiple locations in the DMV area. There are many doctors. Ideally, if one doctor is not a good fit you may switch to another doctor. Weaknesses are that they push hard for eSET, they treat you like a number, be prepared to ask them to explain their protocol.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Strengths are that she makes herself available to her patients. Weaknesses is that she doesn't review charts appropriately and has patients repeat the same tests multiple times. She also allows her personal bias to cross ethical boundaries. She essentially delayed my treatment because I refused to approve genetic testing. I am African-American they screen for sickle cell anemia at birth. She heard my husband say he has a history of it on his side of the family and took it upon herself to tell me she wouldn't select an embryo with sickle cell trait or sickle cell anemia for transfer. This is beyond medical advice and crossed into telling a client what they should and shouldn't do with their own embryos. At this point imaginary embryos that have not possibility of developing sickle cell anemia. I essentially was discarded to the side because I didn't sign a consent form for genetic testing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Li treated my like a sub-human. She had me repeat initial work-up testing 2 to 3 times and never approved of a treatment cycle. Soon as she realized my husband had siblings with sickle cell she and her nurse sent repeatedly asked me to reconsider undergoing genetic testing. I declined initially due to the timing of the test. I am not a carrier and am not opposed to genetic testing. Even with a signed decline form, they asked 3-4 times for me to reconsider. Dr. Li herself called and asked me to reconsider taking the testing and that later on, I might not want to keep embryos that have the trait for sickle cell anemia. These delays brought us from October to December. Then they told me they won't start a cycle in December due to the lab undergoing quality assurance. I never heard from her or the nurse again. I reached out and requested a different team in February.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Didn't make it this far. Dr. Li and her nurse gave me the runaround and then disappeared before the lab closed for quality assurance.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenny Wang)
Same as Dr. Li. They had me repeat initial workup tests and then stalled my treatment when I declined genetic testing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Sandy Li

2016 - 2019, 4 Eggs Frozen
Embryo Freezing
[Dr. Eric Levens] was great. I wish we spoke more. When we did speak he was kind, helpful and full of answers to my million questions. But we only spoke before the process started. After that it’s onlu been 2 phone calls where he gave me results...Egg retrieval with genetic testing due to my many miscarriages...As I sobbed in his office, he was kind and understanding. But in the past 4 months of this process, we only spoke to him maybe 3 times. I only saw him before we began the process
Its been a huge disaster [at Shady Grove Fertility-Fairfax]. It makes me reconsider recommending shady grove it’s been so bad. Even though The facilities, nurses, techs, and doctors are all great...I love chris. [nurse] She’s the best! Full of kindness and compassion. She’s awesome...The financial side is a total mess!!! They have done nothing right...The financial counselors are RUBBISH. Total shit show. Being over charged, not getting insurance claims right, messing up our info.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr levens was great. I wish we spoke more. When we did speak he was kind, helpful and full of answers to my million questions. But we only spoke before the process started. After that it’s onlu been 2 phone calls where he gave me results
Egg retrieval with genetic testing due to my many miscarriages
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chris Lewis )
I love chris. She’s the best! Full of kindness and compassion. She’s awesome
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The financial counselors are RUBBISH. Total shit show. Being over charged, not getting insurance claims right, messing up our info. Its been a huge disaster. It makes me reconsider recommending shady grove it’s been so bad. Even though The facilities, nurses, techs, and doctors are all great.
Thumbs up.easy In and out.
$6-$8k with insurance and genetic testing covered by participating with a study
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The financial side is a total mess!!! They have done nothing right.
Fairfax
I want the IUI procedure to be done by Dr.Browne.. she takes interest in doing the right way! My first 2 IUI’s were performed by a nurse in Fairfax hospital as my dates were on a weekend. The nurse did not care as much as Dr. Browne did. Dr. Browne was very specific to get it right. I could literally see the compassion between a nurse practitioner and Dr. Browne. I feel all my pain has gone waste for my 1st 2 IUI’s.
Nurse practitioner [at Shady Grove] is not doing a good job. I prefer IUI procedure to be done by Dr and not a nurse. I could see the difference how Dr performed the IUI. Nurse practitioner doesn’t do it well. I go through so much pain and at the end.. IUI is performed by Nurse. Dr. Was so keen on doing it right, my Dr. took time until she felt she’s doing it right. Nurse practitioner was just doing it for the sake of her job.
How was your experience with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
I want IUI procedure to be performed by Dr.Browne. She’s very particular and makes sure she’s doing it right. I couldn’t see the same thing in the nurse practitioner. The nurse did iui in &lt;5 mins.. Dr. Browne was so specific while doing the procedure.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
She’s good
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I don’t remember but she wasn’t any good)
Marci
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Nurse practitioner is not doing a good job. I prefer IUI procedure to be done by Dr and not a nurse. I could see the difference how Dr performed the IUI. Nurse practitioner doesn’t do it well. I go through so much pain and at the end.. IUI is performed by Nurse. Dr. Was so keen on doing it right, my Dr. took time until she felt she’s doing it right. Nurse practitioner was just doing it for the sake of her job.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility.
1200$
Paulette Browne
Fair Oaks

Dr. Katz has an awkward bedside manner, joking around inappropriately and just saying uncomfortable things sometimes. We would sometimes have a list of questions and he would just tell us to ask the nurses. At our very first visit he asked why we were even trying to use my eggs (I was age 38 at the time). We felt like he never really wanted to give us a chance with them and wasn't invested in the outcome.... When I asked about trying HGH and maybe testing for some other things, Dr Katz got offended and refused.
I could never get through to schedule monitoring appointments, so I started just showing up the mornings I was supposed to go and being prepared to wait....Once I waited 2.5 hours....we didn't have a lot of trust in the clinic [Shady Grove - Towson]. I'd say you need to be a strong advocate for yourself if you're going to go there....Elayne is also kind of blunt, not very warm. I felt like she was overworked. She'd respond by email but sometimes it would take a couple days.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
I honestly wouldn't go to him unless you're just starting out with fertility treatments and are willing to try a bit without much on the line. If you've already been trying for some time, I'd go to somebody more compassionate and invested.
It felt like SG has one protocol that you get and they will not veer off from it regardless of your specific health history. They were going to continue me with the same protocol just higher dosages even though my eggs grew at different rates. When I asked about trying HGH and maybe testing for some other things, Dr Katz got offended and refused.
BCP for 3 weeks, Gonal F 200mg, Menopur 75-100 mg, Cetrotide at the end, IM trigger shot in the butt. Had 3 fertilized eggs at day 3, only 2 at day 5. We waited til day but neither was a blastocyst so they were discarded and there was no transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elayne Kochis)
Elayne is also kind of blunt, not very warm. I felt like she was overworked. She'd respond by email but sometimes it would take a couple days. If she was off, I had no idea how to get through to somebody. Overall the clinic seemed disorganized. There were 2 nurses who take blood that I really liked and looked forward to seeing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We thought SG had a good reputation and thought we'd be in good hands. Very quickly on, we realized it wasn't true for us and we didn't have a lot of trust in the clinic. I'd say you need to be a strong advocate for yourself if you're going to go there.
Once I waited 2.5 hours.
Insurance covered most
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I could never get through to schedule monitoring appointments, so I started just showing up the mornings I was supposed to go and being prepared to wait. They were in charge of monitoring for my new clinic and were supposed to send daily results to the new clinic. Once they sent them 3 days late despite multiple calls and emails form the clinic, meaning my doctor had no idea what to base the treatment plan on for those days.
Towson

Dr. Reh seemed competent and was friendly and good to talk to. I did feel at times like she was obligated to try to sell extra services. However, this is only based on one in-person meeting, one phone call, and one voicemail....Dr. Reh was great to deal with, I felt informed and respected in my conversations with her...I did three unmedicated IUI...I’m not sure Dr. Reh had anything to do with that protocol choice— it seemed to come from the nurse.)
The clinic [Shady Grove] did not stay on top of the insurance requirements, leading to a canceled cycle. There were also a number of times with intense confusion about what the protocol was actually supposed to be (with an attitude of “it’s just an iui...Definitely a factory...easy appointment scheduling, lots of locations, work-friendly hours. I would be careful if you have need for confidentiality— while in the waiting room I heard front desk staff talking about patients’ files
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh seemed competent and was friendly and good to talk to. I did feel at times like she was obligated to try to sell extra services. However, this is only based on one in-person meeting, one phone call, and one voicemail. Most of my interaction were with other staff at shady grove, which were not always as positive.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Try to get more time and check in more with Dr. Reh herself— she seemed like she knew what she was doing, but it got lost in translation being relayed through multiple layers of staff.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh was great to deal with, I felt informed and respected in my conversations with her. That wasn’t always (or even mostly) the case with the nurses and support staff at shady grove, however— overall, I felt very much like a number.
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did three unmedicated IUI which resulted in negatives. (One of these was monitored, with a trigger and prometrium after iui, but I’m not sure Dr. Reh had anything to do with that protocol choice— it seemed to come from the nurse.) the next planned steps were/are a medicated iui and then she suggested an IVF cycle with PGD.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff was widely variable— some were fabulous, some seemed contemptuous. I definitely had the sense that they might be more engaged and on top of things if I were doing more expensive/involved treatment, but my IUI attempts weren’t at that level.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Definitely a factory and primarily about their profits. That said, some things do go more smoothly because of their corporate feel— easy appointment scheduling, lots of locations, work-friendly hours. I would be careful if you have need for confidentiality— while in the waiting room I heard front desk staff talking about patients’ files, including names (not in a gossip way, in a work-related manner, but more info than the waiting room should have heard.) This actually led to my being aware of a prominent person’s pregnancy a couple months before it was announced in the newspaper— presumably someone who definitely wanted her privacy on the matter!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
With 50% coverage on my insurance, the cost for appointments was $105-$135. (However, when the insurance snafu happened, I became aware that the self-pay option was actually about 5-6 times that amount.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic did not stay on top of the insurance requirements, leading to a canceled cycle. There were also a number of times with intense confusion about what the protocol was actually supposed to be (with an attitude of “it’s just an iui— just do what ever you want about these medications...” and late notification about test results.
Andrea Reh
Arlington

I only saw Dr. Katz twice and both times rank as the worst heath care experience, I have ever had...I told him to leave and said, that I didn't want to see him because of his lack of professionalism. He wouldn't leave. He kept weirdly asking me to forgive him. When I said no he proceeded to tell me that forgiving him would "make me feel better." I basically had to yell at him to get him to leave.
For the most part, the nursing staff [Shady Grove] is nice and compassionate - so there's that. Their appointments are timely-so that's good - and they have a nice office (if that's important to you)...I rescheduled the HSG and then requested the clinic never schedule me with him again. I was "accidentally" scheduled with him 3 more times...The nursing staff at Shady Grove, are for the most part excellent. I did have one nurse that provided conflicting information with my doctor
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Please see my above comment about his bizarrely unprofessional behavior. He was awful. He made unprofessional "jokes" about punishing me, and wouldn't leave a room so I could get dressed.
Don't go to him.
I only saw Dr. Katz twice and both times rank as the worst heath care experience, I have ever had. I was scheduled with an HSG with him. I had never met before. He walked in the room, said "Are you ready for your punishment?" I was so shocked I said nothing. He continued to joke for another minute and then walked out. I had to ask the nurse who he was and I was so upset, I rescheduled the HSG and then requested the clinic never schedule me with him again. I was "accidentally" scheduled with him 3 more times. I left twice and the third time, he just walked in the room and started talking to me even though another provider was there and my exam was complete. I told him to leave and said, that I didn't want to see him because of his lack of professionalism. He wouldn't leave. He kept weirdly asking me to forgive him. When I said no he proceeded to tell me that forgiving him would "make me feel better." I basically had to yell at him to get him to leave. The whole time I was sitting on the exam table half naked with only the little paper sheet they give you. It was awful.
I was scheduled with him by the clinic. I was completing a medicated IUI cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff at Shady Grove, are for the most part excellent. I did have one nurse that provided conflicting information with my doctor, but she has sense left.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a big box store of fertility. It is a chain so don't expect to get personalized treatment. You pretty much never know which doctor you are going to get when you go in for monitoring, which if you want continuity of care is not great. For the most part, the nursing staff is nice and compassionate - so there's that. Their appointments are timely-so that's good - and they have a nice office (if that's important to you).
Towson

Dr. Osheroff did not really do any of my procedures or monitoring. We only saw him when it came to an office visit and he did do my last IUI...I wish it was a little more personal and heartfelt, but Dr. Osheroff is very intelligent when explaining different things...Dr. suggested we transfer one or two embryos, but no more because a risk for multiple pregnancies. ...Dr. explains very by the book on how the treatment should work 'statistically'.
I have been to 3 different branches of the shady grove and all the woman we have come in contact with were very sweet and happy to help us. From the faces at the front- to taking blood- even the doctors monitoring the follicles! The only weakness I've noticed is how hard it is to get a phone call in to them...Kim has been very helpful. She has given all the information on what is to come and what to expect after.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff did not really do any of my procedures or monitoring. We only saw him when it came to an office visit and he did do my last IUI. Part of me believes he did the third IUI to basically say he believed it was done right since they have all failed. It is very discouraging when you get the negatives. I wish it was a little more personal and heartfelt, but Dr. Osheroff is very intelligent when explaining different things.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff gives the negative or positive when it comes to results/ next steps. Other than that just depend on your nurse to give you the information you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. explains very by the book on how the treatment should work 'statistically'. " 'Statistically' you should have no reason why you shouldn't get pregnant. " Not very warm or really want to hear when you have had three IUIs that haven't worked.
Describe the protocols Joseph Osheroff used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I have been prescribed clomid because I am an insulin resistant PCOS, I do not ovulate on my own. First approach was 4 months of clomid with intercourse, all unsuccessful. The IUIs were thought to work because my husband has only a 3% morphology, after the wash he has about 7-10 million usable sperm. We tried 3 months clomid with IUI, all unsuccessful. Dr. said we could continue doing a few more IUIs, but doesn't suggest it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Blackwell)
Kim has been very helpful. She has given all the information on what is to come and what to expect after. Even when we were getting discouraged she had called me and told me what she had gone through and gave us different outlooks on the treatments given.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I have been to 3 different branches of the shady grove and all the woman we have come in contact with were very sweet and happy to help us. From the faces at the front- to taking blood- even the doctors monitoring the follicles! The only weakness I've noticed is how hard it is to get a phone call in to them, but if you saw the line at the 7 am open, you would understand!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance doesn't pay for anything infertility. Had to pay for all testing/ medications (don't remember costs- maybe over $1,000?) IUI was about $2,000 each with medications. ($6,000 total) If we do an IVF it is $15,000 for one procedure and that does not include any storing/ extras.
Describe Joseph Osheroff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. suggested we transfer one or two embryos, but no more because a risk for multiple pregnancies. If we have the option, the more the better-- two would be what we would want for a greater risk to have babies. Growing up you never think to yourself that you would love to have multiples, until you have infertility issues and then you think you can handle anything that is thrown your way!!!!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One of the IUIs my nurse was out of town and the backup nurse/ who ever was assigned to make her calls forgot to call me about my NEGATIVE pregnancy test. Longest day of our lives!! All my husband and I could think about was maybe this is it?! Maybe we could be pregnant because we didn't get our usual No. But nope!
Joseph Osheroff
Columbia

He’s [Dr. Bromer] very knowledgeable and makes sure you understand what he is saying and that you fully comprehend his treatment plan. That being said, he’s a little odd and I felt slightly uncomfortable the one time he did an ultrasound on me...3 cycles of clomid, ovidrel, and preogesterone suppositories. I have PCOS and the clomid was used to stimulate follicle growth and the ovidrel was to ensure I ovulated within a certain timeframe. I’m on the third cycle now, but the first 2 ended up with negative results.
Shady Grove runs like a factory - you check in, get called to the back, and get sent out once everything is finished. as Often as I’ve been there over the past few months, I don’t think any of the nurses recognize me because they constantly have a flow of patients come in and out and conversations are kept to a minimum....Strengths- organized and efficient. Shady Grove runs like a well oiled machine and you are in and out of monitoring sessions quickly.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s very knowledgeable and makes sure you understand what he is saying and that you fully comprehend his treatment plan. That being said, he’s a little odd and I felt slightly uncomfortable the one time he did an ultrasound on me.
Make sure to ask all of the questions you have- he really does do a good job of explaining everything.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jody)
For as busy as the nurses are, Jody did an excellent job of responding to my concerns. Sometimes I’d get an email response and sometimes she would call, either way, I felt like I was able to get answers quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- organized and efficient. Shady Grove runs like a well oiled machine and you are in and out of monitoring sessions quickly. Weaknesses- I felt like a number. There was no personalization or feeling that I was remembered from my last appointment.
Timed intercourse was 100% by our insurance. We are discussing moving on to IUI next and that cost is $1800.
Frederick