6.9

Westminster, MD 21157
Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192

[Dr. Barbara Osborn] is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions...As a single woman I was nervous about judgment from the doctor and there was none of that. She takes the individual circumstance and recommends treatment based on that, without judgement. I only see or talk to Dr. Osborn periodically and most communication is with the nurses...Have a lot of questions prepared in advance. She is very patient about answering them but might not provide all the information YOU want unless you ask.
Vanessa [nurse at Shady Grove] is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours)...There was just one instance where one nurse called and gave me instructions and then an hour later another nurse called and said they talked to another doctor and changed the protocol. I am happy there was more than one doctor involved (my doc was on vacation) but it was confusing and made me question the process a little.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
As I am a single woman, without any known fertility issues, she started me with two unmedicated IUI cycles. These were unsuccessful so then we talked and I said I wanted to be more aggressive so the next cycle I went did Clomid, Follistim, trigger, and Progesterone. This was also unsuccessful but will try another cycle with the same protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa)
Vanessa is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a business and run like a business but I trust their success rates. There is not a lot of personalization but I have not pushed too much for that either. There are a lot of locations so my main office is near my home for the monitoring and blood work appointments but I go to a further office for the IUI's as that is where they store the donor sperm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
Unmedicated/unmonitored IUI was $295 Medicated IUI with monitoring, blood work, IUI is $1800 - not including medications
Barbara Osborn
Sibley

Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me...When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI.
I love that the clinic [Shady Grove - DC K St] has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring....I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me-Sheila Ormond who is a phenomenal nurse and support to me during my cycles. When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI. I really wanted to see Dr. Devine and get her real time insights on my cycle. Same thing during my 2nd IUI cycle. Doctor Devine was nowhere in sight. I was assigned a Physicians Assistant who did the IUI. During my 2nd cycle I ran into some complications --my trigger shot did not work! I was sure of it and I needed to speak to Dr. Devine desperately. The nurses did not seem concerned by my pleas to speak with her. They told me that they would handle it and that I should speak to her through them. At that point I reminded them that I am a self-pay patient and I deserved to speak with my doctor. After several hours, she called and we talked at length and she was able to devise a new plan of action. Again, I respect Dr. Devine and her expertise and it is this respect that I have for her that leaves me wanting more contact with her, especially during a complicated cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Have all of your questions written down in advance. She does a great job answering them but you must offer them. If not, she keeps it short and sweet. Also feel free to contribute your thoughts and ideas, after all you are an expert on your own body. She is willing to work with patients when devising treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I feel that Dr. Devine treats me like a human being. When she was forced to cancel my first IUI cycle due to over-stimulation she called me personally to tell me and to go over next steps. Since I was paying completely out of pocket she was able to work with me to do my next IUI at no cost, even the meds were provided for me. I really appreciated this gesture.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
1st cancelled IUI cycle protocol: Clomid 100 mg CD 2-7, Gonal -F 75 CD7-9, trigger, vaginal prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result: cancelled due to overstim 2nd IUI Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger,Estrace due to thin lining, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result BFN 3rd Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger (trigger failed), 2nd trigger novarel administered intramuscular, Estrace due to thin lining on femera, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result TBD I was started out on a high dose protocol due to an elevated day 3FSH, I overstimmed and I also had strange visual side effects with the clomid so I was switched to femera. Not sure why I was switched to menopur but my nurse said something about it being helpful to my lining? (not sure whether that is coming from any real wisdom or if it was a way to get me to stop asking questions) I was switched to novarel trigger during my 3rd cycle because I did not respond to the Ovidrel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila Ormond)
Sheila Ormond is a sweet, and helpful Nurse. She answers my questions and lets me know when she cannot and when she cannot she always follows up with Dr Devine in order to get me an answer.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I love that the clinic has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring. The staff keeps the flow of patients moving quickly. The clinic is closed at 4 and for an hour midday for lunch (12-1) I think given its high capacity functioning and sheer number of patients, it should be open for scheduling and calls during the lunch hour. It should also close at 5 (6 even). Other than the morning monitoring hours, the rest of the day's schedule isn't very convenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
base IUI fee $1800 Meds: $500
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Admittedly, I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer. For example, I asked whether progesterone can be measured in my blood the day after ovulation. I was told by the PA who administered my IUI that it could not. But I knew that it could. It may not be at peak but it would still begin to slowly rise. I pushed for a blood test and sure enough it hadn't moved and that is how Dr. Devine confirmed that I had not in fact ovulated from the trigger.
Kate Devine

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Guarde is excellent in person and on the phone, and very relatable. My concerns are that she never informed me in advance when she would be unavailiable.....she was on vacation or otherwise not working during two of my three "own egg" transfers, which was very upsetting to discover in the moment... She was always very supportive, but I feel like almost too gentle without providing solid recommendations for the next step, ie when to move on to donor egg.
Multiple times I had to call the emergency care number [at Shady Grove] to get results and be provided the correct dose of meds or timing of my shots/appointments because they failed to follow instructions on which number to call. Admittedly, my schedule was unique, but I provided very clear instructions on which phone number to leave results but they often failed to read the notes in my file and called the wrong number which I could not reach remotely to verify the next step in my protocol. Fortunately, no cycle was ever lost due to the comms error, but it did cause extra stress that I did not need.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde is very personable and relatable, and is the only woman that practices at the clinic I was at. In hindsight she was a little too optimistic and her hopes for a pregnancy with my own eggs ended up costing me a lot more than I thought I would expend to get pregnant, finally only having a viable pregnancy through donor egg (and two separate donors at that). I only saw her in person twice, once for my initial consult and once during an early ultrasound with my first pregnancy. The rest of the time all comms came through the nurse. I did have several phone calls with Dr. Garde to discuss the outcome of my miscarriages and the way ahead. She was always very supportive, but I feel like almost too gentle without providing solid recommendations for the next step, ie when to move on to donor egg.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask her the hard questions, because she will not tell you unless you ask. If you ask, she's very forthcoming.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Rachana Garde used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did 3 cycles using an "antagonist" protocol, each with increasing doses of menopur and gonal F. My first cycle rendered the most eggs and embryos, but none of the cycles ever ended up producing a PGS-testable "blastocyst" and so embryos were implanted without testing, resulting in miscarriage or BNF. First cycle implanted 3 embryos resulting in week 11 miscarriage. Second cycle implanted 2 embryos resulting in week 7 twin miscarriage. Third cycle implanted 2 embryos resulting in BNF. Dr. Garde never explained the rationale behind the protocol or the increase in dosage or why she didn't want to use a different protocol. After the third cycle I moved on to donor egg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley (forget last name))
Ashley was very caring and supportive when providing the results of my blood tests.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility is very much a baby making factory that is interested in outcomes and not so much the care and treatment of the individual. But they get results....they just might not be the results you hoped for (pregnancy via donor egg instead of your own eggs) and the way you hoped (seeing your doctor verses the "on call" doctor).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was a self-paying patient (no insurance coverage) and was provided a 25% discount for being active duty military. First 2 cycles were purchased as a group for ~$17000 (with discount) and 3rd cycle was purchased separately for ~$12000.
Describe Rachana Garde's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We discussed very early on my desire for a singleton, but was convinced that due to advanced age that more embryos needed to be implanted, and my decision was helped because the embryos were not of freezable quality, so it was either implant or destroy, so I did the multiple embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Multiple times I had to call the emergency care number to get results and be provided the correct dose of meds or timing of my shots/appointments because they failed to follow instructions on which number to call. Admittedly, my schedule was unique, but I provided very clear instructions on which phone number to leave results but they often failed to read the notes in my file and called the wrong number which I could not reach remotely to verify the next step in my protocol. Fortunately, no cycle was ever lost due to the comms error, but it did cause extra stress that I did not need.
Rachana Garde

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
Andrea [Reh] was extremely kind and really took the time to explain everything, including things that were not necessarily in her scope of expertise (financing). She was very patient and really explored all options with me. In addition, she was very honest...As a single woman, she was supportive of my journey. I never felt worried about doing this alone. Andrea never made me feel like she was rushing.
Shady Grove has cutting-edge technology and gives you confidence in the procedures and treatments. They have many different locations and everyone from front desk staff to the physicians are extremely kind. At times, I had some difficulty getting super specific information or suggestions about finances....The entire nursing staff was always very kind. I felt very comfortable and welcome....I believe using my froze eggs (including transfer) costs somewhere around 16K, if this is not successful, using an egg donor (shared) will be around 19k.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Andrea was very thorough in exploring all of my options. As a single woman, she was supportive of my journey. I never felt worried about doing this alone. Andrea never made me feel like she was rushing. In fact, when I apologized for asking so many questions, she told me that it was her job and to ask her everything I needed to. In addition, I was told to contact her with further questions. She encouraged me to keep all of my options open and explore all possibilities. Each time I go, Andrea makes me feel that I matter and am not just another number.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
That she is very nice and thorough - don't hesitate to ask her any questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Andrea was extremely kind and really took the time to explain everything, including things that were not necessarily in her scope of expertise (financing). She was very patient and really explored all options with me. In addition, she was very honest.
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I had fibroid surgery while I was under Andrea's care. I had all of the testing done to assess readiness for IVF. My treatment was pause in order to secure proper financing. We discussed transferring my eggs from NY, using egg donors, and using sperm donors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: first nurse is no longer there)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was able to use insurance only for the fibroid surgery. Everything else has been out of pocket - my insurance does not cover anything. I believe using my froze eggs (including transfer) costs somewhere around 16K, if this is not successful, using an egg donor (shared) will be around 19k.
Andrea Reh
Annapolis

he [Dr. Eric Widra] has been the best at the worst times, meaning when things have gone off course he has been attentive and sympathetic...Don't expect to see a lot of him or have him at all your monitoring. However, his approach is great and he is amenable to your perspective and feedback...We tried iui but I ovulated before we could actually do the procedure (due to monitoring problems related to fibroids). For ivf, I did a course of birth control, then follistim and menopur, then added in ganirilex.
SGF is sort of factory but good in that monitoring is easy. Lots of open times for monitoring and SGF is a 24/7 facility, so that makes scheduling easy and good for getting answers. You don't always get a lot of personal treatment though and some of the techs are not great. Can be a bit hit or miss...Nursing staff was excellent. Carrie was a great communicator and had to address a lot of tough issues with us. Really love Latrice for monitoring - super professional and helpful.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm still in treatment with Dr. Widra. It has been a frustrating process for things outside his control. However, he has been the best at the worst times, meaning when things have gone off course he has been attentive and sympathetic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr.Widra has a very straightforward manner that I appreciated. He doesn't do a lot of hand holding, which I didn't need. He also doesn't do a lot of the communication, which I would have preferred. His nurse, however, is very reachable and excellent. I had a complication during my ivf stimulation and Dr. Widra was really great about it.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid for a 2 package ivf with pgs testing. I think it was about 24K
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Not applicable yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Part clinic fault and part fibroids. We tried to do iui but I have fibroids. I had one bad tech visit for monitoring and the tech couldn't find my ovaries. As a result, I ovulated before we could do the procedure.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Mottla] was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part...Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
[Shady Grove ] Most in the Annapolis are nice and show compassion. One of the doctors I had for an IUI in Toowson was so mean. One of the phlebotomists in Annapolis was very rude to me during an emotional moment which left me cryin* for hours after an IUI. There is potential to feel l8r just a number but overall the compassion shown by most avoids that...I got a phone voice message from a nurse saying something about my blood work confirming recent ovulation...I was in the middle of ivf and hadn’t recently ovulated.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your research ahead of time and have plenty of questions to ask him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Iuis-2cyckes with clomid, 1 with injectibles Ivfs-Lupron stop, then Gonal f and menopur. First ivf cycle, 8 eggs only 6 mature, 3 fertilized, one transferred (ABG), none to freeze 2nd ivf cycle, 8 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred (ABG) none to freeze In both cases had implantation and heartbeat, but miscarried at 7 weeks.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
Ivfs- $18,000 for 2 cycles. Iuis- around $1800 per cycle
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I wish he would have considered transferring larger number on day 3, rather than be8ng selective on day 5. I will always wonder if any of the others would have led to a successful pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I got a phone voice message from a nurse saying something about my blood work confirming recent ovulation...I was in the middle of ivf and hadn’t recently ovulated. She was new and I think confused. No biggie. The various branches are not always consistent. For example after ET in Rockville, I was told no lifting over 20 lbs. for 3 days; another nurse said no lifting for 10 days; and my nurse said no lifting for entire pregnancy. Similar inconsistencies with herbal teas, caffeine, etc. didn’t bother me a ton since I know different doctors have different approaches.
Annapolis

On first consultation he [Dr. Mottla] made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc ... Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. ... Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic. ... He was friendly enough but has an experience where he was 30 minutes late to appointment and hadn’t reviewed updated tests prior to speaking with us so seemed unprepared for our appt. ..
We never heard back from the nurse until we got a phone call from our financial counselor telling us that we had to pay same day or our date/surgery wouldn’t happen. ... The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc. ...
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
On first consultation he made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc and without further testing speculated that our issue was probably irregular ovulation. Said that cloned would probably do the trick. Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. That set hopes and expectations high. Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic.
Do research prior to appointment so you know what questions to ask.
All female diagnostic tests. Then male diagnostic. Husband tested positive for genetic condition which causes azoospermia. Was put on medication to increase testosterone level for three months and then underwent Micro-TESE to retrieve sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Townsend)
Nurse was responsive but didn’t seem to fully communicate all the information between us and other doctors. Was good if we pressed for information or answers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc.
All diagnostics which were mostly covered by insurance for husband and myself totalled about $2K. That included two counsyl genetic carrier tests at $299 each. Surgery for $8500 out of pocket and have not gotten to first IVF cycle yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had talked to our nurse about scheduling a surgical procedure and were told that she’d reach out to the doctors assistant to find out what day/times were available. We never heard back from the nurse until we got a phone call from our financial counselor telling us that we had to pay same day or our date/surgery wouldn’t happen. As far as we’d known nothing had been scheduled and we being asked to pay quite a large sum of money within the next 4 hours or so. Communication was lacking from the nurse.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
Dr. Levens is supportive and shows empathy when you have a miscarriage. Dr. Levens is kind when you have 1 on 1 with him. However, it is hard to find him outside your scheduled consultations and it may take several days for him to return a call. When your case is not very promising he also loses interest to you.... If you need to talk to him personally in tn the middle of the cycle, you need to push the front desk staff or the nurse for that.
They [Shady Grove] are well organised and even though they have a big number of patients most of the time their system allows you not to feel like a number. Most of the nurses and technicians are nice, the front desk staff not always. They have certain protocols that if you don't fit in them they would not agree to do IVF with you but would push for IUI which may be a waste of time and money.... She [nurse] was careful and was quick to respond to e-mails and return calls.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is very kind and compassionate if you have losses. He spends time with you and explains things eventhough sometimes I would prefer to know more. However, when your case doesn't anymore look promising, he loses interest and may make you feel abandoned. He doesnot reply his e-mails but will usually call back few days later.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you need to talk to him personally in tn the middle of the cycle, you need to push the front desk staff or the nurse for that. Better schedule a specific time if you don't want to miss his call.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I had one IUI with 300 mg Follistim. I had one dominant egg and two smaller. I htink the timing of IUI was not correct as I started ovulating on my own and they did it on the day right after the trigger shot.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lischa Tolbert)
She was careful and was quick to respond to e-mails and return calls. She was kind and understanding
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are well organised and even though they have a big number of patients most of the time their system allows you not to feel like a number. Most of the nurses and technicians are nice, the front desk staff not always. They have certain protocols that if you don't fit in them they would not agree to do IVF with you but would push for IUI which may be a waste of time and money.
Eric Levens
Fairfax

Strengths [Shady Grove] - The Best in the area! top notch , great facility Weakness - You do eventually start to feel like a number. If you care about being cuddles somewhat it'll irk you. if like me you just want the best results, you'll remind yourself its only for a little bit of time... - Insurance paperwork was lost a few times and i missed a condultation because they wouldnt let me see Doyle with the paperwork that shouldve already had!
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
I honestly cant rave enough about Dr Doyle. He is the only reason i'll more than likely try again with Shady Grove. one our first try, i barely responded to the meds, eventually i showed about 3 -5 eggs and while most doctors wouldve cancelled, he believed that my age and my physical condition would result in two or three great embryos and Alas! we ended up getting 3 eggs and two made it to day 5. Unfortunately i had to have an emergency C section to save my little boy at 25 weeks and he stayed with us a day before getting called to heaven. Dr Doyle was as affected by it as we were, two years later and he still calls to check in on us. He really is the best!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be Open, discuss as much as you can. Ask questions when you dont know. He goes out of his way to explain everything and will whip out a pen and draw on a pad if need be! utilize his time and expertise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
My first time using the practice the staff was great , however i changed nurses twice and that made things somewat sensitive. i had to do alot of follow ups with the new Nurse , she might have been a newbie in the business. Dr Doyle however, is a true gem, straightforward, optimistic and empathetic. My second go around from start to end i felt like a number, my details were getting mixed up, call ins, scheduling, dr visits , everything was very clinical and this is on the staff side NOT Dr Doyle. towards the end of my second go Doyle called not just to apologize for the frustrations i'd gone through with miscommunication from the front desk on insurance coverage, he occasionally called also just to check in.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Memory fails me but if i remember correctly it was - Birth control Pills - Gonal F 150 then increased to 300 because i was a low responder - Menopur 25 or 50 and HCG. Both times were same protocol. However he would prefer to try something different when i go back because my LH levels are very high and he doesnt think starting with birth controls will be ideal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Efrat Inbar)
My Last primary Nurse Effie was great, responsive and detailed. I got the feeling they were on top of things. The Nurse before her - i forget her name wasnt soo great and it was a relief when she eventually left the practice- she was terribly forgetful, couldnt remember my name to save her life! - not that it matters to me - i like results not pleasantries, but IVF is such a sensitive time i think every bit of being personable helps
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths - The Best in the area! top notch , great facility Weakness - You do eventually start to feel like a number. If you care about being cuddles somewhat it'll irk you. if like me you just want the best results, you'll remind yourself its only for a little bit of time
Well oiled machine for the most part I preferred to go very early because of work , but i believe they are flexible
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was fairly reasonable with insurance coverage. There was an initial deposit of about 3500 and majority of the procedure was covered at the time- Out of pocket i want to say in total was about 5000 -6000 for IVF, Medications, HSG tests, ICSI(about $1200 or so ), Transfer. Embryo storage was 1600 initial deposit and 800 Yearly!
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Doyle's preference is single embryo transfer, he will not only lecture you oon the perils of multiples, but will have you sign a disclosure that you were educated on the potential issues. Since eqq quality for me is not an issue, ive not yet needed to ask for more than one transfer.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
- Insurance paperwork was lost a few times and i missed a condultation because they wouldnt let me see Doyle with the paperwork that shouldve already had! Dr Doyle called to apologize when he found out! - Medications for my FET were delayed and not called in on time and i lost a day and the protocol had to be adjusted
Rockville
You will see whatever Dr is there for the day [at Shady Grove-Frederick]...I love my primary nurse. She has been great since we first met her and always returns my email and phone calls. She never makes me feel stupid for any question I ask and is always upfront with me. She was super sincere when she called after our transfer failed and is always positive when we talk on the phone...All of my issues were with the financial department. I felt like it was pulling teeth to get a timely response. She told us all the things insurance covered and what we would have to pay upfront and then it randomly changed for whatever reason and it took me a week to get her to respond as to why. Where she then told me that was only a quote and insurance can change their minds at any time which I was not made aware of from the start.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was super nice from the first time we met. We had lots of questions and concerns and he took the time to answer everything and tell us in detail what our cycle would more than likely look like. He has been great to us thus far and the only bad thing I have to say is he haven’t done any of my procedures or transfers because I have to go to a bigger office for all of those. I’ve only ever actually seen him 3 times but he does go out of his way to call before all my procedures, egg retrieval and transfers which I really like. He also called after our failed transfer to tell me he was sorry it failed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Just be aware that there is no guarantee that you will see him other than your consults/ any meetings you have with him. You will see whatever Dr is there for the day.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
From our first consult Dr. Bromer really took his time to listen to us and our concerns. He went over all of our test results in detail and made sure we understood them. He personally called me the day of all of my procedures to wish me luck and tell me he will call me again in a few days to see how I’m doing. He also called me after our failed transfer to tell me he was sorry our transfer had failed and he couldn’t wait to start a new cycle with us.
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We used ICSI instead of traditional IVF because my husband has a varicocele so it causes his count to be low and his morphology to be messed up. We retrieved 14 eggs and ended up with 6 blastocysts. He suggested we only transfer 1 for our first fresh transfer as we were so young and transfering more wouldn’t increase our success rate by much but it would increase our multiples chances by 50%. Our first cycle failed. He said frozen transfers have better success rates. And was fine with transfering 2 this time like we wanted. We’re currently in the TWW of our first FET second transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Toni)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I overall have had good experiences with Shady grove. The only department I’ve had issues with is the financial department. They slack big time. I would have to call her multiples times and email her multiple times to get an answer. She would act annoyed when I finally got ahold of her and it was always something. Thankfully we had to cancel when we were going to do our second transfer the first time because we were under the impression we didn’t have to pay anything they didn’t tell me we owed a $450 deposit until it was a week from when my transfer was supposed to be.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had insurance coverage but for our first full round (retrieval and fresh transfer) plus our second frozen transfer it’s been roughly $3,000 including our co-pays, medication, embryo freezing and thawing costs.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He talked to us about the risks of transfering multiple embryos so we didn’t the first time. We talked about transferring two the second time and he was fine with that but he did make sure we really understood the risks of multiples.
Jason Bromer
2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
1 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
1 Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Strengths - good communication, optimistic, explains things in easy to understand terms, easy to get in contact with, compassionate Weaknesses - not fully understanding how adenomyosis affects fertility, however it is still an area where most RE's are not fully versed...He is kind and will clearly explain your protocol and all procedures. If you have questions or don't understand, ask so he will explain in a different way.
[Shady Grove] Strengths- quick to get an appointment, ultrasound and lab staff is caring and positive Weaknesses - monitoring appointments are not honored, it is a first come first serve cattle call type situation, front desk staff can be rude, billing and financial often seems confused about things...When my nurse was off for an extended time, her replacement forgot to order meds. When the financial coordinator calls they are often unsure of what I owe, what I have paid, etc.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McKeeby and his nurse, Ann, often call or email to check how I am doing on a cycle or after a cycle. They are responsive to calls and e-mails. They know me when I come in the office and seem to genuinely care. The staff that does blood work and ultrasounds are the same.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey McKeeby used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I have done 5 retrievals and 2 FETs with while under his care. The protocols for retrievals have been varied and were adjusted with my last retrieval producing the most eggs. He is very careful when he adjusts and always calls and explains the why. For FETs he has tried 2 different protocols. My most recent was 6 months of down-regulation. It resulted in a pregnancy but early miscarriage, most likely due to diffuse adenomyosis.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann )
Strengths- great communication, returns calls and emails even at night and on weekends, compassionate, explains things well Weaknesses - none
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Cattle call! As a teacher who had to be to work by a certain time, I would often need to show up at 6:45 just to guarantee I was among the first few patients seen when monitoring started at 7:30 even though I have had appointments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covers most of the retrieval process. I cover $600 and then cost to PGS test and freeze. They cover transfer up to 3 for live birth. My medicines are covered except for a co-pay.
Describe Jeffrey McKeeby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. McKeeby has always recommended one embryo due to my age as well as the PGS tested quality of the embryo being transferred. I do not believe transferring multiple would have had a different outcome so I trust him with this decision.
Jeffrey McKeeby
Annapolis
Dr. K [Kulshrestha] is extremely kind and understanding, very professional and always explained everything in detail to us. However I do not feel as though she was fully available to us. We saw a lot of other doctors in our IVF process and dealt more with the nurses than anything. ... She said it was a typical protocol though, and one they start out with for a lot of patients on the first go around since my numbers were in the normal range.
Sometimes the staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] would talk and gossip about other patients right out in the open, so you always wonder what they could be saying about you after you leave the office. Otherwise I have had pretty good experiences with my nurse Katrina or whoever was taking my blood that day. Dana, the financial specialist is nice too, but she doesn’t always have the answers you’re looking for so you feel like you’re figuring things out alone.
How was your experience with Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. K is extremely kind and understanding, very professional and always explained everything in detail to us. However I do not feel as though she was fully available to us. We saw a lot of other doctors in our IVF process and dealt more with the nurses than anything.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
To just be prepared to not get a lot of face time with her and to prepare all of your questions and concerns ahead of time since you may not get every opportunity to ask or speak with her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The clinic sometimes felt like a factory, just rushing women in and out. I got more of that experience with my nurse, but you don’t get a lot of face time with the doctor.
Describe the protocols Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Our treatment was one year ago so I don’t remember what our protocol was or the dosages Dr. K prescribed for me. She said it was a typical protocol though, and one they start out with for a lot of patients on the first go around since my numbers were in the normal range.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katrina)
We started out with one nurse named Jennifer. I didn’t feel much compassion from her, she treated us as a number rather than humans with feelings. We talked to Dr. K and she allowed us to change our nurse to Katrina who was very kind and sweet and always helpful & communicative.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It’s a smaller clinic so you’re more likely to get an appointment when necessary and be in and out fairly quickly. Sometimes the staff can be a bit short with you or, again, treat it more like a factory than a sensitive issue like infertility should be treated. Sometimes the staff would talk and gossip about other patients right out in the open, so you always wonder what they could be saying about you after you leave the office. Otherwise I have had pretty good experiences with my nurse Katrina or whoever was taking my blood that day. Dana, the financial specialist is nice too, but she doesn’t always have the answers you’re looking for so you feel like you’re figuring things out alone.
This is a smaller clinic so it was pretty easy to walk in and out during monitoring hours and be seen in a timely fashion.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
Our health insurance covered majority of our first round of IVF, but it was typical of the treatment. Upwards of 10-12K for treatment and an additional 8K for medication I would say.
Describe Sunita Kulshrestha (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don’t know if it’s shady grove fertility or our doctor, but we were highly advised to do a single embryo transfer and it felt like we didn’t have much say to do anything different.
Sunita Kulshrestha (retired)

2015 - 2017, Successful
I almost never saw Dr. Widra. He has a protocol and wants no part of answering your questions or making any changes to that protocol for your preferences. He hated that I did research and had my own opinions. There are still questions he hasn't answered that his nurse promised he would call and answer...When i did speak to him about my protocol his answer was simply that is how we do it, when pressed about data i was told they had data i could not see. He had no desire to personalize anything.
Their [Shady Grove] embryologists have tons of experience. I trusted the lab completely. It was always easy to get the time you want for monitoring and generally they had that process down and things moved. The negative is they are not always organized. I received multiple bills for things i had already paid for...Although i had emailed my nurse and financial coordinator the exact paperwork that was needed they still failed to send it in. The result was a LOT of extra stress and work for me. They were very willing to accept the rejection and only agreed to do the appeal when i pushed
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I almost never saw Dr. Widra. He has a protocol and wants no part of answering your questions or making any changes to that protocol for your preferences. He hated that I did research and had my own opinions. There are still questions he hasn't answered that his nurse promised he would call and answer. The one time he did call he only wanted to talk about the good news from our retrieval even though i had been pressing to have a conversation about the transfer protocol. When things when wrong he never cared to discuss why or what could be done differently or to resolve the issue.
If you don't want to understand why decisions are being made or to have any input in your care, or to ever see your doc (which honestly didn't matter to me as long as i got the info i wanted) i suspect he would be a fine choice. But if you want information I would probably choose someone else.
Dr. Widra has no idea anything about my care in the few times i actually interacted with him. When i did speak to him about my protocol his answer was simply that is how we do it, when pressed about data i was told they had data i could not see. He had no desire to personalize anything.
I started with birth control which resulted in a cyst that we spent weeks watching grow (thankfully a PA suggested i push for a trigger shot to get rid of it!). After that i was on gonal-f 225 and 1 vial of menopur. After the first monitoring appointment they added cetrotide (1 injection) and doubled the menopur. I stimmed for 14 days (I think) then did a lupron trigger. My progesterone was too high for a fresh transfer so we had to do a freeze all. For the frozen transfer they tried birth control again, it didn't stop me from ovulating, which thankfully happened to coincide with our monitoring appointment and i got the natural-ish cycle i wanted. I did have to do progesterone suppositories (Dr. Widra refused to do the transfer without it and i was willing to give in since it was at least not the PIO injections).
Carrie was generally good. She was very sweet. She would generally provide information if she had it. My main issue was many questions she didn't have the answer to and the doctor NEVER responded to questions i had that were outside of her knowledge. I did have a major problem with information getting to insurance at the beginning and I'm not sure how much of that was her fault. She generally didn't know me from any other patient. My biggest complaint was when my fresh transfer was canceled (which i was devastated about frustrated they were not interested in why it happened) she multiple times said we are just going back to the original freeze all plan (it was NEVER the plan to do a freeze all - in fact, once the initial insurance fiasco was resolved it was put in as a freeze all, which I was very clear was never my plan).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is a giant clinic which has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side they have a lot of patients, which means their embryologists have tons of experience. I trusted the lab completely. It was always easy to get the time you want for monitoring and generally they had that process down and things moved. The negative is they are not always organized. I received multiple bills for things i had already paid for (which always ended up working out but took time and effort to deal with). If you have insurance expect it to take a LOT of time and expect them to mess up the paperwork (my insurance company said they are notorious for that). For me their mistake resulted in my initially being rejected even though I should have been approved. Thankfully my insurance company had done a great job at the beginning of telling me what they needed so i knew right away something was wrong. Although i had emailed my nurse and financial coordinator the exact paperwork that was needed they still failed to send it in. The result was a LOT of extra stress and work for me. They were very willing to accept the rejection and only agreed to do the appeal when i pushed (thankfully the doctor was never required since my personally sending in the proper paperwork fixed the problem). They then put in for a freeze all even though i had multiple times made very clear i wanted a fresh transfer, which resulted in more stress and delay. They are very willing to accept bad news and very unwilling to look at what went wrong (from insurance to medical issues). You are a number, which for me was ok. There are people that actually care, but it's not most of the people.
You scheduled a generally time (I think they were done in 15 minute increments), you sign in and then it was a first come first serve for bloodwork and ultrasound. It was generally pretty well run and was usually timely (only once was it particularly long - a little over an hour) most times i would be out in under 30 minutes.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage so the rate i paid was the rate negotiated by the insurance company.
he suggested a single transfer especially since we were PGS testing but wasn't pushy about it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The biggest issue was with the insurance. Additionally I had a cyst which I think my doctor would still be watching grow had the PA not suggested i push for a trigger shot. My fresh transfer was canceled (which I honestly never got a good answer of why, it felt a lot like they wanted to pad their success rate by making me wait for PGS results).
Washington DC

If you're looking for someone who will be overly supportive and involved in every way (complete every procedure, call you directly with monitoring appointment information, hand holding) that's not how he [Dr. Eric Widra] or the clinic operates. But if you're comfortable with a more formal manner, direct, thoughtful and respectful manner - then he'll be a good fit... He was not initially responsive to the additional testing I wanted to have done (Leiden V) or putting me on additional medications. But after the second miscarriage, he was amenable and willing to accommodate my requests. Through these difficult times he has been thoughtful, caring and respectful.
Shady Grove is a factory. And you have to know that and be 'OK' with that going into the process. You will not get a lot of attention or hand-holding from your primary RE. You will be seen for your monitoring appointments and procedures by whomever is on duty that day. Do not expect your primary RE to perform any of your procedures. He or she is there to oversee your 'case'. Your nurses are your rock. You are assigned one primary nurse and they do everything. And you have to be OK with that - otherwise Shady Grove is not the place for you.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Eric is a smart doctor. And you'll see him for your until consultation to devise a treatment plan. But he's not a warm and fuzzy doctor. Neither is he's hands on, nor especially client interfaceing until things don't go as initially as planned. We barely saw him over the course of our three IUIs. He did not perform any of the monitoring appointments or procedures. Due to the clinic's large size, those tasks were performed by whichever doctor was available at the time. However, once we moved onto IVF cycles - we saw Dr. Widra more frequently. Still however, the procedures were completed by available daily doctors (not Widra). We finally got to experience Dr. Widra in a more hands-on and compassionate way after I began to experience unexplainable RPL of chromosomally normal embryos/fetuses. He took the time to meet with my husband and me as often as we felt we needed to come in and consult with him, and have him reassure us. He was not initially responsive to the additional testing I wanted to have done (Leiden V) or putting me on additional medications. But after the second miscarriage, he was amenable and willing to accommodate my requests. Through these difficult times he has been thoughtful, caring and respectful.
Make sure he's the right personality fit for you. If you're looking for someone who will be overly supportive and involved in every way (complete every procedure, call you directly with monitoring appointment information, hand holding) that's not how he or the clinic operates. But if you're comfortable with a more formal manner, direct, thoughtful and respectful manner - then he'll be a good fit.
During the IUI process I felt like a number. We completed 3 unsuccessful cycles. We met with the doctor before we began the process but after that initial meeting we were passed off to nursing staff and whatever doctor was on call at the time to complete the IUI procedures.
Diagnosed with PCOS and unexplained fertility issues. Completed 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid and ovidrel. Resulted in good egg stimulation for all three cycles but only one chemical pregnancy. He was not open to changing protocol as I requested to include metformin and femerra. Moved onto IVF. Egg stimulation and retrieval: Cetrotide 250mcg Gonadotropin FSH ( Gonal F 450 iu pen x 3) and 75 IU FSH&LH ( Menopur 75 iu vials x 15) Lupron 2 week kit with 1ml luerlock syringe, 27 g ½ “ needle - “Trigger” subcutaneous. Zithromax 1 gram - taken evening before egg retrieval Resulted in 18 eggs retrieved. 8 made it to 5-day blocyst; 5 remained after PGD testing. Froze all embryos. #1 IVF and FET Round: Birth Control Pills Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; misoprostol abortion. Diagnosed as carrier of Liden V. Round #2 IVF and FET: Lovenox injections 40mg daily Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; d&c abortion. Fetal tissue chromosomally normal. Diagnosed with PCOS and unexplained fertility issues. Completed 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid and ovidrel. Resulted in good egg stimulation for all three cycles but only one chemical pregnancy. He was not open to changing protocol as I requested to include metformin and femerra. Moved onto IVF. Egg stimulation and retrieval: Cetrotide 250mcg Gonadotropin FSH ( Gonal F 450 iu pen x 3) and 75 IU FSH&LH ( Menopur 75 iu vials x 15) Lupron 2 week kit with 1ml luerlock syringe, 27 g ½ “ needle - “Trigger” subcutaneous. Zithromax 1 gram - taken evening before egg retrieval Resulted in 18 eggs retrieved. 8 made it to 5-day blocyst; 5 remained after PGD testing. Froze all embryos. #1 IVF and FET Round: Birth Control Pills Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; misoprostol abortion. Diagnosed carrier Liden V. Diagnosed with PCOS and unexplained fertility issues. Completed 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid and ovidrel. Resulted in good egg stimulation for all three cycles but only one chemical pregnancy. He was not open to changing protocol as I requested to include metformin and femerra. Moved onto IVF. Egg stimulation and retrieval: Cetrotide 250mcg Gonadotropin FSH ( Gonal F 450 iu pen x 3) and 75 IU FSH&LH ( Menopur 75 iu vials x 15) Lupron 2 week kit with 1ml luerlock syringe, 27 g ½ “ needle - “Trigger” subcutaneous. Zithromax 1 gram - taken evening before egg retrieval Resulted in 18 eggs retrieved. 8 made it to 5-day blocyst; 5 remained after PGD testing. Froze all embryos. #1 IVF and FET Round: Birth Control Pills Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; misoprostol abortion. Diagnosed as carrier of Liden V. Round #2 IVF and FET: Lovenox injections 40mg daily Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Resulted in pregnancy; SPL/miscarriage at 6 weeks; d&c; fetal tissue chromosomally normal. Round #3 IVF and FET: Metformin 3 pills daily w/ meals Lexapro 10mg daily Lovenox injections 40mg daily Prenatal Vitamins: 1 daily Del Estrogen injection (40 mg/ml; 1 vial has 5 ml; 6 mg = 0.15 ml): 0.15 ml IM every third evening Progesterone in Oil injection (50 mg/ml): 1 ml IM every night Result: TBD
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I've had two primary nurse coordinators over the past year and a half and they have both been phenomenal. They address all of my questions, calls, and emails promptly and thoughtfully. They get answers back from my doctor quickly. They are always on the ball - calling in all of my medications before I even ask. They are compassionate when breaking diasapointing news and never complain about being nagged by me or my husband. They do the daily hand holding and support needed during this process.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Year 1: For 3 IUIs + shared risk IVF package + out of pocket meds + medical deductibles = ~$50,000
At first I was frustrated at my doctor's unwillingness to implant multiple embryos. But after he explained the potential risks and long term effects of the babies (developmental issues, under weight, early term, etc) I began to understand and agree with eSET.

2012 - 2017, Successful
We had special requests to only fertalize a few eggs at a time due to our religious beliefs and she [Dr. Esposito] was totally in board with it. She cares about us and wants to make us happy...she always heard me when I spoke though. She had time for me when I get an appt slot with her. She explains things very clearly and throughly. Highly recommend her. I just wish I was able to contact her more easily for a specific question...she Is very busy and hard to get to talk to but great bed side manner..
The sgfc [Shady Grove - Frederick] strengths are they are good communicators most of the time. The receptionists are fantastic!! ...My current nurse has good and bad days. After I brought light to the issue she has been much better if a communicator and more compassionate. I also thinks the nurses are expected too much off and are potentially over worked. The nursing staff as a whole I can't say enough good things about!!...there is a lot of financial options. Shared risk program which we did twice, shared help discount which we always received 25-30% off which can be combined with the shared tick program sometimes.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had special requests to only fertalize a few eggs at a time due to our religious beliefs and she was totally in board with it. She cares about us and wants to make us happy but also try's to seat us of making potential mistakes with decisions. She always heard me when I spoke though. She had time for me when I get an appt slot with her. She explains things very clearly and throughly. Highly recommend her. I just wish I was able to contact her more easily for a specific question. Sometimes it seems as if they have too much on each of their plates.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Trust her
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She treated me good, she Is very busy and hard to get to talk to but great bed side manner
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My first ivf was with my husbands sperm and it didn't take. I was in progesterone suppositories and estrace pills. My second cycle was with donor sperm. It much different but ended on miscarriage. Later the donor was recalled due to an issue with another pregnancy. My 3-7 cycles we did an implantation protocol consisting of progesterone in oil injections, estrodiol injections and lovenox blood thinner injections. I also did 1-2 endometrial scratches to help with implantation. 2 miscarriages, 1 live birth, and I'm still in my 2 week wait with my last cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tony)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The sgfc strengths are they are good communicators most of the time. The receptionists are fantastic!! I have. Even a patient for 7 or so years and have gotten to know most by first name basis and most are great. You also have to take into consideration that they all have lives too and they are allowed to have off days like the rest of us.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each cycle was different. The there is a lot of financial options. Shared risk program which we did twice, shared help discount which we always received 25-30% off which can be combined with the shared tick program sometimes. There is fertility finance that you can get loans through and the case foundation and savannah grants.
Describe Melissa Esposito's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
She prefers eSET however I have always transferred 2 (except once I transferred one due to online having one) she was willing to listen to my request and granted it after telling me the risks is twin preganancy
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
It's really only with the one nurse. The clinic as a while I have been fine with.
Melissa Esposito

2014 - 2017, Successful
Dr Osheroff knows his stuff and tells it to you straight up in a more scientific way. So I felt in the middle of number and human. He made sure you understand but wasn't warm, friendly, or comforting...Dr Osheroff was straight forward and to the point. He didn't have great bedside manner but made sure you understood everything going on from every angle. He was happy to answer questions and didn't make you feel rushed.
I liked this clinic [Shady Grove]. It was convenient to my house. They had many locations with different hours for monitoring appointments. I liked that I could go anywhere I needed to. They also had a support group lead by a psychologist where I met some great friends...My nurse was fine when she was there, she was out of the office alot. I talked to other nurses during those times who I liked as well.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
He said the best thing anyone ever said, "I can't tell you when, but I can tell you it will happen." I actually told a friend this right before she saw Dr o and he said the same thing.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Joseph Osheroff used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did 3 rounds of clomid by themselves. Then 2 rounds of clomid and IUI. All clomid rounds I took pills from days 3 to 7. All were negative. IUI #3 was injectibles, also negative. IVF #1 was the antagonist protocol. My progesterone was too high the day before transfer so that cycle became freeze all. 11 retrieved, 2 made it to freeze. IVF #2 was long lupron protocol. 9 eggs retrieved, 6 mature, 6 fertilized, 1 transfered and 4 frozen. This resulted in 1 live birth. Then FET #1 was estradiol and pio, 1 embryo transfered from IVF 1 batch, that resulted in live birth.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I liked this clinic. It was convenient to my house. They had many locations with different hours for monitoring appointments. I liked that I could go anywhere I needed to. They also had a support group lead by a psychologist where I met some great friends.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid out of pocket for 2 clomid IUI. For IUI with injectibles I purchased secondary insurance. After IUI 3 and IVF 1, we met out of pocket max, so IVF 2 was 100% covered plus my monthly premium.
Describe Joseph Osheroff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I really wanted to transfer 2 embryos during my first transfer (2nd retreival), even though my husband was against it. Drs protocol is under 38 and no negatives or miscarriages, then 1 is transfered. It is not just caring for multiples, but added risk to mom and babies. We transfered one and discussed that of it didn't work, we would look into multiple.
Joseph Osheroff
Columbia
2014 - 2017, Unknown Success
The ordeal [at Shady Grove] took several weeks to resolve, escalating to the supervisor and then again to the financial manager. In the end as a compromise they allowed us to get one cycle at the lower rate. It was frustrating and disappointing to have this happen at the beginning of the year and we felt stuck until the following fall when we were able to switch insurance again. This wasn't so much the clinic's fault as much as one employee who did her job poorly and gave us wrong information which had long lasting effects on us.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Eugene Katz is very knowledgeable in his field. He is a good doctor and knows what he's doing. Whenever treatment failed (i.e., miscarriage) he was patient at our follow up appointment explaining next steps and different options. At no point did we feel like he gave up on us or encourage us to do something we weren't interested in doing. We came prepared with questions and he took the time to patiently answer them, in person. Our treatment has not yet worked, but we've tweaked the process with Dr. Katz every step of the way. His phone manner is fine, not the best but also not the warmest. While it's hard to deliver bad news over the phone, he's got it down pat. It's hard to say whether the bad news affects my opinion of his phone manner.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would tell prospective patients to come prepared to appointments and be informed of your options going in, so that when the doctor brings something up you're not playing catch up. There is a lot of information at every appointment and it's ok to ask questions. Don't let being overwhelmed keep you from pursuing different options. Don't get bogged down with internet searches that make you second guess your medical professional. Specifically with Dr. Katz, be prepared to see different doctors (whoever is on call) for different procedures like egg retrieval or embryo transfers.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The Shady Grove Towson office is a very busy place and it's often run like a factory. This is good and bad. Due to the sheer volume of patients they provide cycles all year round with monitoring every day of the week including holidays which is convenient. The downside is that the office is missing the "warm" component because they run the office like a business. They try to assign a specific nurse per patient to be your go-to contact in the office, but there is turnover in the nursing staff as well as days off where your assigned nurse isn't there. There is always someone available to answer questions and knows how to look up your chart to give you accurate information, but it doesn't feel they're invested in your success. Dr. Katz himself is a great doctor but he is very busy and not the best on the phone. In person he is very patient and caring, giving you the feeling he's on your side.
Describe the protocols Eugene Katz (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We used the antagonist protocol for all five IVF cycles using Menopur, Gonal-F, and Cetrotide. The dosage started out small (i.e., 75 menopur and 300 Gonal-F) and got increased as we got closer to egg retrieval. About six days before scheduled retrieval I started on Cetrotide once daily. For the first four FET and ERA protocols I was on delestrogen 0.2 every three days, PIO daily started after lining check, and prenatal vitamin daily. For the fifth FET protocol in addition to the deletrogen and PIO we added Prednison and Lovenox (anti-inflammatory and blood thinner) .
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie H.)
Since I've been with the clinic several years I have gone through three nurses as they move positions throughout the different Shady Grove offices. In Jan 2016 I was assigned my current nurse and she's been the best so far. When she is out for her scheduled days off she always has an away message on her email and someone monitoring her phone. Information is always relayed promptly and accurately. Emails and messages are always responded to promptly which I greatly appreciate. Beside for my regular nurse, all the backup nurses, lab technicians who draw blood, office staff, etc. are all knowledgeable and friendly. I've never had any issues with any of the nursing staff.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The Shady Grove Towson office has many strengths, including: The front office is organized; there is monitoring every day; the doctors take the time to answer questions; there is ample parking which is validated at the front desk; the location is convenient to me and right off the highway; scheduling is never an issue; professional staff; they are located upstairs from a specialty pharmacy (Austin) which has employees that are amazing to work with; the waiting room is spacious and clean. There are also several weaknesses, such as: long wait times for monitoring appointments sometimes, but especially during weekends or holidays; no "warmth" from staff in treatment. It feels like a sterile environment and that they're not so invested in your success; the financial aspect is difficult depending on which staff member you're talking to - make sure you understand everything and confirm in writing.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
Upward of $40,000 to date
Describe Eugene Katz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Katz was very adamant about transferring only one embryo. In his opinion the odds do not increase with multiple embryos transferred and that the risk of premature labor with twins/multiples was too great.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
When switching health insurance between 2015 and 2016 I confirmed with the financial counselor whether I would need to keep my old insurance to get the self-pay rate for out of pocket costs in case my new insurance gave me problems with coverage. I was told via email that as long as my husband was on the old insurance we would be eligible for the lower self-pay rate. Based on this information, I was removed from that insurance and once Jan 1 came around I asked the clinic to verify my new information. As expected, my new insurance had limitations so we wanted to move forward with the self-pay rate. We were told that the information we had received weeks earlier was incorrect and that I, as the patient, needed to be on the insurance to be eligible for the lower self-pay rate. Since I had the information from the financial counselor in writing via email I argued that I made decisions based on information I had received which affected us for the entire 2016 and that it was unfair to be penalized for their error. Had I known I need to be a patient I would have kept that insurance. The ordeal took several weeks to resolve, escalating to the supervisor and then again to the financial manager. In the end as a compromise they allowed us to get one cycle at the lower rate. It was frustrating and disappointing to have this happen at the beginning of the year and we felt stuck until the following fall when we were able to switch insurance again. This wasn't so much the clinic's fault as much as one employee who did her job poorly and gave us wrong information which had long lasting effects on us.
Eugene Katz (retired)
Towson

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. [Joseph] Doyle is great and explains things well but in the end you speak to his nurse more than him. I would still return to him because he had a great sense of humor and when he felt that we were losing hope he did personally do one of the IUI procedures. I would and will be more insistent in communicating with him directly....Sheila and Jessica were Dr. Doyle's nurse and assistant. Both were on top of my treatment and would always be compassionate when they had to deliver bad news. I appreciated that.
Strength was the amount of success stories and their reputation. I never had to wait too long for an appointment and they were very responsive to emails and calls. A weakness was that it did, at times, feel like a factory.We are now taking a break from treatment just to clear our heads. My only real issue with the facility were some of the nurses. Dr. Doyle's nurse Sheila was great but some of the others were cold and not as friendly.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I attended a seminar held by Dr. Doyle. He was so nice and explained IUI and IVF clearly. We had 2 appointments with him and he did one of the IUI procedures. I felt completely comfortable with him but unfortunately there has been no success. He did warn us that nothing was guaranteed. We are now taking a break from treatment just to clear our heads. My only real issue with the facility were some of the nurses. Dr. Doyle's nurse Sheila was great but some of the others were cold and not as friendly.
Dr. Doyle is great and explains things well but in the end you speak to his nurse more than him. I would still return to him because he had a great sense of humor and when he felt that we were losing hope he did personally do one of the IUI procedures. I would and will be more insistent in communicating with him directly.
I loved Dr. Doyle and his nurse Sheila. Some of the other nurses and staff were just cold and not always friendly.
All of our tests were negative. We had unexplained infertility. Since we had nothing diagnosed as being "wrong" Dr. Doyle suggested we try IUI first since my insurance covered six cycles. Even though they were not successful I'm glad we tried it so we can be prepared for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila O.)

2016, Unknown Success
Dr. O'Brien is a busy person, to be sure, but I never had a day where I had a question or concern that I didn't at least get a return phone call by the end of the day. Her positivity is contagious and she was always ready with a plan b or c when plan A didn't work. As someone who despises going to the doctor it truly suprised me the day I realized that I saw here as more of a friend than a doctor. If you need someone in your corner, someone to keep faith that this will work even when you've lost all yours, Dr. OBrien is a great choice...
Shady Grove is a big clinic, so yes you sometimes feel a bit like a number, but if you find the right Doctor and Nurse, the long road of infertility suddenly doesnt seem so dark and lonely...Ask questions. You'll feel better knowing all the answers. And trust her when she says she'll make it work. She doesn't give up :)...While my nurse, Effie often called with day to day results, Dr OBrien always followed up with a phone call if the results were something important. She was very respectful of my feelings (and since I was on lots of hormones there were LOTS of feelings) and she always stayed hopeful...
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went to Dr O'Brien after having a rather negative experience with a different doctor and it was like night and day. Our case was a little unconventional. Because of how far away we lived from Rockville, we didn't meet Dr O'Brien in person until the day of egg retrieval but we both felt like we already knew each other from various phone interactions. Dr. O'Brien is a busy person, to be sure, but I never had a day where I had a question or concern that I didn't at least get a return phone call by the end of the day. Her positivity is contagious and she was always ready with a plan b or c when plan A didn't work. As someone who despises going to the doctor it truly suprised me the day I realized that I saw here as more of a friend than a doctor. If you need someone in your corner, someone to keep faith that this will work even when you've lost all yours, Dr. OBrien is a great choice
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
While my nurse, Effie often called with day to day results, Dr OBrien always followed up with a phone call if the results were something important. She was very respectful of my feelings (and since I was on lots of hormones there were LOTS of feelings) and she always stayed hopeful. I felt very loved and cared for under her care
Rockville

Dr. Kipersztok very much cared about me as a patient, but it didn't seem to show until after we failed a couple times. He personally made time to call me, even on his days off, with results and other important news during my cycles...Different REs did my retrievals and transfers, even though Dr. Kipersztok was my primary RE. For the third cycle, it felt much more like he personally cared about my case, especially since we had two miserable failures preceding this. He requested to personally do both my retrieval and transfer, and that was the cycle that worked.
The nurses [Shady Grove - Waldorf] sometimes assumed that you knew what you were doing when you had no clue...Billing can be frustrating to work with...It was very difficult to understand billing statements and procedure codes... I also had to call in to clarify conflicting information between my original med plan and voicemails left after monitoring to ensure that they meant to make a change...Perhaps due to its size, I often felt like a number rather than a patient...
How was your experience with Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for the level of communication you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
For the first two cycles, I felt very much so treated as a number. Different REs did my retrievals and transfers, even though Dr. Kipersztok was my primary RE. For the third cycle, it felt much more like he personally cared about my case, especially since we had two miserable failures preceding this. He requested to personally do both my retrieval and transfer, and that was the cycle that worked.
Describe the protocols Simon Kipersztok (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I started with the generic protocol (Menopur + Gonal-F) for the first cycle. We did an eSET on day 5 that was unsuccessful (chemical pregnancy) and didn't have any embryos that made it to the freezer. For the next cycle, we added Lupron to my protocol in addition to the Menopur and Gonal-F. That produced almost double the eggs of the first cycle. We transferred two embryos on day 5 and none made it to the freezer again. This cycle was also unsuccessful. For the third cycle, we kept the same medication protocol, but transferred two embryos on day 3 and had one embryo make it to the freezer on day 5. That was the cycle that worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
The nurses sometimes assumed that you knew what you were doing when you had no clue. It was also a toss-up on when they would call you with test or monitoring results. For my second cycle, my nurse forgot to send my prescription for my medications to the specialty pharmacy. We didn't catch that until my baseline scan and I had to scramble to get my meds in time to start my cycle. Monitoring always seemed very rushed in the mornings and there wasn't always a lot of time for questions or personal care.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic has a wide network across my larger geographical area. My normal clinic was 45 minutes from my house. It was closed on the weekends, so I had to drive 90 minutes on the weekends for monitoring. Perhaps due to its size, I often felt like a number rather than a patient. Billing can be frustrating to work with, as it is in a separate office and my clinic's staff would simply tell me to call them. It was very difficult to understand billing statements and procedure codes. Since I had to pay a significant amount out of pocket, this was very frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
We paid approximately $7500 per cycle for clinic costs plus approximately $3000 per cycle for medication. That was with insurance covering 50% of both the clinic costs and the medication.
Describe Simon Kipersztok (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Kipersztok highly recommends eSET, especially for the first cycle. He will always recommend eSET, but will yield to your decision if you would like to transfer two embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nurse forgot to call in my meds to the specialty pharmacy for my second cycle. After my baseline monitoring, I had to spend the day on the phone with the pharmacy and the clinic to make sure everything was getting ordered and approved by insurance in time to start my cycle. There was also a time or two where I was told that they would call that day with results and I didn't hear from them until the next day. I also had to call in to clarify conflicting information between my original med plan and voicemails left after monitoring to ensure that they meant to make a change. Sometimes the change was intentional and sometimes it was a mistake.
Simon Kipersztok (retired)

2013 - 2016, Unsuccessful
She was kind, warm, cares about her patience in a genuine manner. ... Dr. O'Brien was empathetic. For example, when my procedures were unsuccessful, she genuinely cared about me as a person. She was a clear communicator, trustworthy. Instead of thinking about making the money for the clinic, she recommended the appropriate amount of times. She forewarned us about the maximum amount of treatment. She never gave false hope either.
When there were administrative mistakes, they [Shady Grove Fertility] made excuses instead of apologizing for their errors. Sometimes you had to wait too long in the waiting room, there were times it seemed like they forget about me. This is for blood work and ultra sound work there. This was distressing as I had a full-time job I needed to be at. ... Our first nurse had more compassion and we felt more a connection with her.
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O'Brien was empathetic. For example, when my procedures were unsuccessful, she genuinely cared about me as a person. She was a clear communicator, trustworthy. Instead of thinking about making the money for the clinic, she recommended the appropriate amount of times. She forewarned us about the maximum amount of treatment. She never gave false hope either. There was no negative experiences with Dr. O'Brien.
She has a tremendous amount of experience, listen to her advice.
She was kind, warm, cares about her patience in a genuine manner. For example, sometimes when I went in for an ultra sound at Shady Grove, I would see other doctors. While they were fine, Dr. O'Brien was the warmest.
Describe the protocols Jeanne O'Brien used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
There were so many treatment plans, each one was unique with the end goal being a baby. We immediately decided upon IFV treatment first after removal of cysts from my ovaries. Due to advance age and stage IV endometriosis, we felt it was the best route.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melanie, then it switched)
Our first nurse had more compassion and we felt more a connection with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
When there were administrative mistakes, they made excuses instead of apologizing for their errors. Sometimes you had to wait too long in the waiting room, there were times it seemed like they forget about me. This is for blood work and ultra sound work there. This was distressing as I had a full-time job I needed to be at.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility.
16,000 a cycle with insurance covering about 90%
Describe Jeanne O'Brien's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
There is no comments to provide. She was often against multiple embryo transfer, but let us try it one time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I would suggest that the waiting room and blood, ultra sound team be better aligned.
2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr Saffan] performed one IUI insemination. I rarely saw him during my monitoring appointments....During the consultation, Dr. Saffan, provided much more attention and gave sufficient explanation compared to my OB. He quickly went through the information and I had to ask clarifying questions to make sure I got everything. I felt less connected during the first consultation. After my miscarriages, I went back and he was much warmer and welcoming. His tone was very reassuring and gave me hope after a rough year.
They [team at Shady Grove in Annadale] are very organized and have a strong routine. For example, bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring is always done first thing in the morning. They do seems quite busy. I had to schedule my 3rd IUI with the Fair Oaks center because they were completely booked up. I have yet to be able to go in and out with a monitoring appointment. Instead I usually have to wait 20-30 minutes before they see me. I find it beneficial going in as early as possible when monitoring.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He performed one IUI insemination. I rarely saw him during my monitoring appointments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Despite not seeing much of him, I do believe he, as well as all of the nurses and technicians at Shady Grove, have my best interests at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
To preface, I was originally diagnosed with unexplained infertility, so how it was perceived to me was each IUI cycle is almost a shot in the dark since they don't know the cause for the infertility. The first IUI was just with Clomid and then Ovidrel for the trigger shot, followed by progesterone. The second time I was switched from Clomid to Braville. Both did not result in a pregnancy. After two miscarriages, I am in the middle of the 3rd IUI treatment and took Gonal f instead of Clomid or Braville. Dr. Saffan also recommended I take FABB (folic acid supplement) and baby aspirin, stating that he usually recommended those supplements to those that have had miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea)
Chelsea is amazing. She responds quickly to emails and listens intently to my needs. When we go over the cycle's schedule, she is thorough and explains everything clearly. I feel more human with her than anyone else I've encountered during this process. She makes you feel like she's giving you her entire attention and support. I love it!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are very organized and have a strong routine. For example, bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring is always done first thing in the morning. They do seems quite busy. I had to schedule my 3rd IUI with the Fair Oaks center because they were completely booked up. I have yet to be able to go in and out with a monitoring appointment. Instead I usually have to wait 20-30 minutes before they see me. I find it beneficial going in as early as possible when monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility.
My health care covers 50% of the costs associated with IUI procedures, which including medication, monitoring appointments, and IUI itself.
David Saffan

2015, Successful
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies...My first nurse (can't remember her name) answered my endless questions (and I had a lot). She was always kind and helpful, returning calls immediately. Penny was my DE nurse. She was kind of an "all business" lady and by that time, I did not need as much emotional support.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Not sure this site will let me review the other two docs, who I was NOT happy with. But he was my last stop--I thought I would get a chance to even try with my own eggs, but I wasn't. Even with my DOR status, I had gotten pregnant 3 times on my own. I think he knew that despite being at the end of my emotional rope, that I really wanted to use my OEs despite my intense fear of another MC. He said, "he didn't want to put me through all of that" and that DE "was my best chance of a successful pregnancy." I don't know what could have happened, but we went with DE and our first is due in 2 weeks. Got lucky on shot #1. I will say for the very expensive money, if it doesn't work, you get it ALL back through their guarrantee program (6 shots). Dr. Mottla did genuinely care about me, I believe. I did not care for the other doctor and left the clinic the first time because of his demeanor.
I'm not sure there is anything I would tell you about him specifically, only that the fertility road is exhausting, emotional, expensive, and really makes you question everything as a person and what kind of information you can trust. I think Dr. Mottla is completely aware of all this. In the end, I had to trust him. Had to trust somebody.
Dr. Mottla was the 3rd doc I saw. 2nd at Shady Grove. I did not like Dr. McKeeby (my first doc) and transferred up to Johns Hopkins. I did feel like a number there and had no real personal interaction. Dr. Mottla was my last stop and although I didn't like what I heard (and still don't totally believe the actual source of my issue was DOR), I am almost due with my first baby, through the use of DE and couldn't be happier.
Because he would not let me use my own eggs (my AMH was less than 0.01, despite getting pregnant multiple times on my own), none of the treatments I had researched were used. My DE treatment was pretty basic with estrogen/progesterone shots after my cycle had lined up with the donor's. At Johns Hopkins, we were doing natural, medicated cycles using Femara and then the ovidril trigger shot. Only 2 of my 4 cycles cooperated. They had terrible communication up there and I was always confused by what they were telling me. They would have treated me with my OE, but by then the 2 hour round trip ride and the complete lack of communication had thoroughly exhausted me. Mottla felt that while I could have a miracle baby, that any egg my body produced would be far superior to any eggs they could get from me artificially.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Multiple, but ended with Penny)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies. Johns Hopkins: So impersonal, not nice office, never saw the same doc twice. Much more cold hospital setting. JH is great if you have a rare illness (which I had and my care was great), but for fertility stuff, a specialized clinic is better.
My insurance would have paid for 3 rounds of IVF with my own egg. But they wouldn't do it :( I used their most popular program: the 1:3 donor egg match (1 donor to three recipients). $30k for 6 cycles or all of your money back. We did get lucky on try #1.

2015, Successful
I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well... I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently... thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant.
Call backs [at Shady Grove] were generally very late. It was nerve-wracking, because often you wouldn't get a call back until after phone lines closed - which made it difficult if you didn't get one to get ahold of someone...Nurses were hit or miss. Staff as a whole was a bit hit or miss, though more good than bad. Appreciated the splitting of blood draws from general nurses (keeping it with people who knew what they were doing). I'd describe things as generally efficient, and well run, on the nursing side.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm a fan - I imagine success has something to do with it, but the overall experience was good. I knew by the time I got to Dr. Moon that I was going to struggle conceiving, and that it wasn't for any identifiable reason. That helped temper my expectations I think. I thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant. I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove is a bit of a factory, yes, but I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Standard antagonist protocol - BCP followed by FSH, menopur and then cetrotide I think. Attempting to keep growth slow but steady, and keep all follicles in range. Aiming for fewer high quality follicles (as someone who could produce a fair number, but of poor quality). Standard trigger criteria, but we held off a day or two based on history, so things were slightly larger. On my FET, it was medicated, so BCP and then something (can't recall).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the strength is in the solid lab, significant experience and range of doctors to choose from. They do seem to use standard protocols, but that was fine. I'm not crazy about the BCP use, but it's a must - there's not a lot of flexibility in that area. I was able to get some concessions on some policies by getting Dr. Moon on board, and it was frustrating to have to do so. The standard weekend hours and multiple locations was good - no worrying about timing there. They generally had a range of appointments available, though weekends could be hit or miss. Some things were very standardized which generally helped it run smoothly. But there were times things backed up, with waits of 45+ minutes. The financial people may have changed in the past 2 years, but that was the worst/most maddening part. It may be less so if you're not using insurance, but I had to do a significant amount of leg work on running down pre-authorizations and getting statuses and poking and prodding. It was incredibly frustrating, and I would say that's the part that is most off putting about the clinic.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered in large part, so I don't recall.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Call backs were generally very late. It was nerve-wracking, because often you wouldn't get a call back until after phone lines closed - which made it difficult if you didn't get one to get ahold of someone. I only failed to get a call back once, on a weekend - but I was able to get the information I needed via the answering service process. But there were days it was late enough I was wondering whether I'd been missed.
Kimberly Moon
2012 - 2015, Successful
When I met with Nair, she always spoke honestly but kindly. She clearly had reviewed my records before our meetings so we didn't need to explain things again. She always called after a failed cycle and was incredibly kind after a chemical pregnancy/missed carriage. She also left surgery to come down for our first ultrasound after our positive pregnancy test.
My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful... Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting...
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I didn't find anything at fault with Nair. She always made sure we had appropriate information and we never left the office without either speaking with a financial person or nurse to answer any additional questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
None.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did 3 IUI's even though they didn't work. It was frustrating but our insurance required it. The clinic was participating in a medical study that required less injections but we did not participate, though the early results seemed promising.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather Glass)
I had several primary nurses during my tenure at Shady Grove; some were better than others. I had one, who is no longer there, who did not like to communicate over email. Giving my busy schedule, email was much better than phone. My suggestion would be to establish which method you prefered communication when first meeting with your nurse coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting; this is all very normal, well managed, and well understood.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
My IUI and egg retrieval were covered by insurance. My FET's were not. Shady Grove has self-pay costs. Each FET was approximately $4000 plus cost of medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
1 - My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful. 2 - There was an active shooter near a clinic on a day I was scheduled for blood work and ultrasound. This resulted in the clinic closing. No information was provided to patients; the voicemail at the clinic was not even updated. I was not informed of what I needed to do until noon that day, which is after the clinics stop monitoring. I spoke to someone at the head office about lack of emergency preparedness and was not provided a satisfactory answer. For example, all retrievals and transfers are done in the Rockville office and I asked for plans if that office is closed. The response was simply, " we would never close that office."
Anitha Nair