6.9

Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

Dr. Katz was friendly and talked to me like a real person...explained things well. He did seem kind of rushed at times. He did seem to want what was best for me, and was not worried about if I would stay a full patient with his clinic...We ended up keeping our embryos in KC and performing an ERA test and doing outside monitoring with Dr. Katz. During the ERA test, he had me on oral estrogen 3x/day and then progesterone in oil for 6 days prior to the biopsy. The test results were that my lining was normal receptive 6 days after beginning the progesterone.
Jenna [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility-Bel Air] was very friendly and compassionate. She would call and explain things to me and answer any questions I had. We did have some times when we were playing phone tag and I had a little difficulty getting in touch with her...It took a while for the initial consult though. The nurses and staff were friendly and seemed knowledgeable regarding their jobs. There was a little miscommunication when I became an outside monitoring patient and they had trouble figuring out where my results were and where they were going.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz was friendly and explained things well. He did seem kind of rushed at times. He did seem to want what was best for me, and was not worried about if I would stay a full patient with his clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has an accent and talks kind of fast, so if you don't understand, ask him to repeat himself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz was friendly and talked to me like a real person.
Describe the protocols Eugene Katz (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Katz was helping me determine if we should move our embryos to his clinic in Maryland or keep them in KC and just do outside monitoring with Shady Grove. He explained the pros and cons well, and genuinely seemed to want what was best for me. We ended up keeping our embryos in KC and performing an ERA test and doing outside monitoring with Dr. Katz. During the ERA test, he had me on oral estrogen 3x/day and then progesterone in oil for 6 days prior to the biopsy. The test results were that my lining was normal receptive 6 days after beginning the progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna)
Jenna was very friendly and compassionate. She would call and explain things to me and answer any questions I had. We did have some times when we were playing phone tag and I had a little difficulty getting in touch with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is definitely busy, but they were able to schedule my follow-up appointments in a timely manner. It took a while for the initial consult though. The nurses and staff were friendly and seemed knowledgeable regarding their jobs. There was a little miscommunication when I became an outside monitoring patient and they had trouble figuring out where my results were and where they were going.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
Consultation was covered under my insurance. The ERA test/biopsy was $595. My ultrasound appointment as an outside patient were $295 (which was quite a bit more than the $187 my clinic in KC said they charge).
Describe Eugene Katz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
When I became an outside monitoring patient, they did not know where my results were after my lab work and ultrasound, and then they did not send the results in a timely fashion.

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels...Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her...bedside manner is very kind and gentle...She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
My doctor decided to do a fresh transfer of my own embryos on Day 6 instead of Day 5. She told me the staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] (working the weekend, so not the normal staff) would call with a time to be at the clinic on Monday morning. I never received a call. So I had to talk to my doctor on Monday morning and she told me to just go in and they would be ready. However, I waited all day Sunday for a call to update me on the time to go in for my transfer - and no one ever called. That was frustrating, as I tried to reach someone Sunday afternoon and evening and was told that someone would call (they just never did).
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall is very practical and candid with providing information, provided that you ask the appropriate questions. She doesn't often offer up additional information, but will answer all questions honestly. She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be sure and have a list of questions and have done a little research on your own. Talk to others who have gone through this process. I've learned a lot of helpful tips or things to ask from other women who have used fertility doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall's bedside manner is very kind and gentle. But SGF overall feels like a factory. They are efficient with visits and check all the boxes, generally, but you do feel like just one of many patients most of the time.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did two rounds of IVF with a sperm donor. Both treatments were very similar. I used birth control for three weeks before stopping and then starting daily injections. I injected menopur and follistum daily for approximately 10 days, and added in a daily injection of ganarillix for the last five days or so. I went into SGF for an ultrasound and bloodwork every other day until about day 7 or 8, and then went daily. My hormone levels responded well to the hormones, and the tests all went well. Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels. The final trigger shot, given 36 hours before egg retrieval, was pregnyl. Egg retrieval went smoothly, with no adverse reactions to the anesthetic. The first round of IVF, I did PGS testing on the two embryos that reached blastysis, and both were found to be abnormal and were not transfered. The second round of IVF, I chose not to do PGS testing and did a fresh transfer of the two embryos that reached blastysis. In preparation for that transfer, I took a daily pill and used suppositories three times a day for progesterone and estrogen (estrace and estridol I think were the names). I stopped all medicines two weeks after the transfer, when my blood test was negative for pregnancy. Currently, I am looking into using an embryo donor or egg donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Casey McNeeley)
Casey was very responsive to messages I left, and patiently answered any and all questions I had. She was quick to find out information from Dr. Beall, if needed, and also helped facilitate communication with the financial coordinator at SGF. She's been wonderful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is very well-known in this area and has a good success rate. I have multiple friends and acquaintances who have used them for fertility treatments. That is why I chose to go with them. However, you do feel like another number at times. The staff has all been very friendly and personable! But it's a factory and you do feel like women and couples are constantly in and out.
They were easy. I was in early and didn't have to wait long. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid for a multi-cycle IVF program, which gave a small discount for paying for two IVF cycles at once. That cost $23,500 including the PGS testing I elected to do ($18,500 without PGS). In addition, medications were approximately $4,500 per IVF round, or $9,000 total. And the sperm donor cost about $2,000 total (two vials). In addition, I had to pay for a therapist consultation ($300, insurance partially covered and I think my cost was $125) and a few other bloodwork and ultrasound tests that insurance generally covered. I also elected to do acupuncture during this whole process, and that was $45 per visit (found the practitioner on my own and not through SGF). Overall, the cost of two IVF rounds cost me about $37,000 out of pocket. I am not pursuing donor embryo or donor egg for my next step.
Describe Stephanie Beall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
No. Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My doctor decided to do a fresh transfer of my own embryos on Day 6 instead of Day 5. She told me the staff (working the weekend, so not the normal staff) would call with a time to be at the clinic on Monday morning. I never received a call. So I had to talk to my doctor on Monday morning and she told me to just go in and they would be ready. However, I waited all day Sunday for a call to update me on the time to go in for my transfer - and no one ever called. That was frustrating, as I tried to reach someone Sunday afternoon and evening and was told that someone would call (they just never did).
Stephanie Beall
Columbia

He [Dr. Jason Bromer] is very straightforward and clear, which I like. If you want a very gentle bedside manner, that's not really him, but he's not rough either. Somewhere in between. Very realistic, but he clearly cares too...Ask lots of questions - he is happy to answer. Expect realism but not coddling...I am in a same-sex marriage, and I'm a good candidate for IUI so the one cycle we've done so far has been natural with trigger shot. He gave me the option to go without trigger, but I wanted it. We may change protocol next time, but we'll see.
Counseling with a social worker [at Shady Grove Fertility] for using 3rd party genetic material was out of network and was $300. Natural Cycle IUI is $1200 per cycle, but we were approved for the Shared Help Discount at 15% (income based), so natural cycle IUI for us is $1020...They are a well-oiled machine, so they have the process down pat. However, you need to be organized and know your insurance coverage and all your financials. Don't trust them to get it right. They have a patient portal, which is great, but it's severely underutilized, in my opinion. Mainly for messages with appointments. I had to ask for my lab results to be posted, and my treatment estimate never was. The portal is great, but they should really use it more.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is very straightforward and clear, which I like. If you want a very gentle bedside manner, that's not really him, but he's not rough either. Somewhere in between. Very realistic, but he clearly cares too.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared and do your research. Ask lots of questions - he is happy to answer. Expect realism but not coddling.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady Grove Fertility is a well-oiled machine, so sometimes you feel like a number while in the office, but Dr. Bromer and my LPN make me feel human.
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jody)
Jody is great. Straightforward and compassionate without being coddling. Very capable.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have some coverage, so each office visit was a $40 copay. Counseling with a social worker for using 3rd party genetic material was out of network and was $300. Natural Cycle IUI is $1200 per cycle, but we were approved for the Shared Help Discount at 15% (income based), so natural cycle IUI for us is $1020. Medicated is $1800/cycle ($1530 for us). Sperm is separate. We do not have insurance coverage for IUI. HSG was covered, as was all lab work.
Jason Bromer
Frederick

2017 - 2019, Successful
The times when she [Dr. Nair] has called to give me the bad news herself have always meant a lot to me. She really does seem to care, which is nice. ... That would be my only complaint - that she talks and moves so fast through the material. That being said, you don't feel rushed. ... 3 unsuccessful IUIs. Then 1 IVF using antagonist protocol. Then microdose Lupron protocol with PGS for the 2nd.
They [Shady Grove] have appointments very early in the morning so I have managed to have 6 fertility treatments without having to reveal to my work what is going on, because I can get in and out of there without being late every day. ... There are 3 different people I've dealt with regarding payment and insurance on the exact same issue and no one seems to be communicating with one another, or really trying all that hard to fix any problems.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is extremely intelligent and a wealth full of information. She does explain things in a way that makes sense, however she covers a lot of material very quickly. I'm always so glad that my husband is present when we meet in person, because we do always leave having to "compare notes" in a sense that we need to combine what each of us understood. That would be my only complaint - that she talks and moves so fast through the material. That being said, you don't feel rushed. You can ask as many questions as you want. It's just a matter of can you keep up to ask the right questions. I always take lots and lots of notes when we meet. The times when she has called to give me the bad news herself have always meant a lot to me. She really does seem to care, which is nice.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take notes. Ask lots of questions. Don't be afraid to slow her down and ask for clarification/repetition if you need it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Somewhere in between - the sheer numbers of patients going in and out of that clinic definitely made me feel like a number. However, Dr. Nair always made an effort to know me and my story.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
3 unsuccessful IUIs. Then 1 IVF using antagonist protocol. Then microdose Lupron protocol with PGS for the 2nd. Then microdose Lupron without PGS - could only do a fresh transfer for the 3rd. Getting ready to start a Lupron stop protocol.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
1. Always schedule the earliest appointment you can. They are efficient for sure, but if you have to get to work by a certain time, it can be very stressful on the days when they are not running on time. 2. Know your health insurance and DOUBLE CHECK everything that you are quoted from the financial counselors. And monitor your bills very closely. If I didn't understand what I do about health insurance, I think we would be out of a lot of money. There are 3 different people I've dealt with regarding payment and insurance on the exact same issue and no one seems to be communicating with one another, or really trying all that hard to fix any problems. I still have a credit on my account after I paid for a service that they assured me I owed - turns out I was right. But they won't let you start your treatment until you are financially "cleared" and you have paid in full. Just watch all of that very, very closely. And don't be afraid to second guess when someone else is asking for money - like the desk when you check out - the communication between parties is terrible there. I've paid I don't know how many co-pays that we unnecessary until I smartened-up and realized I could just speak up.
They have appointments very early in the morning so I have managed to have 6 fertility treatments without having to reveal to my work what is going on, because I can get in and out of there without being late every day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
$1500 out of pocket max per year through my insurance plan. Plus cost of meds which was usually less than $500 per IVF treatment with my insurance.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Haven't encountered this situation yet.
Anitha Nair

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
On all but one occasion, I've felt positive about the direction I was headed after speaking with or meeting with him [Dr. David Saffon] I've been seeing him for almost 2 years, and I've learned that he is an eternal optimist. I struggle with his seemingly endless optimism sometimes...Be prepared for data-driven analysis. He will make his decisions based on the data...IUI cycle with Follistim. My response was better than any other so it was converted to IVF. 6 eggs were collected. 1 day 6 embryo that didn't take. I took more time off then went for another IUI, this time with Menopure. It was unsuccessful.
I wouldn't be at the clinic [Shady Grove Fertility-Fairfax] if it wasn't for their doctors. The clinic is updated, and the now has an IVF facility. The front desk is typically a mess and sometimes doesn't answer the phones. Most of the non-nurse, non-doctor staff, not all but most, treat you like a number. My financial advisor is nearly impossible to reach. You have to be proactive and stand up for yourself in an office that sees so many patients.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan shows he cares his patients. On several occasions he called late in the evenings or on weekends to check in on me. He explains the procedures, risks, and makes recommendations based on specific situations. On all but one occasion, I've felt positive about the direction I was headed after speaking with or meeting with him. I've been seeing him for almost 2 years, and I've learned that he is an eternal optimist. I struggle with his seemingly endless optimism sometimes.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared for data-driven analysis. He will make his decisions based on the data. Also, if he seems overly optimistic, question why.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan is invested in his patients. He often goes out of his way to make sure they are looked after. He has called me several times late in the evening and on weekends to check in. I've learned to be proactive when it comes to care at SGF though because it is easy to feel like a number there. I set up face-to-face meetings with Dr. Saffan when needed.
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For my first IUI, I was put on Follistim. This resulted in pregnancy and miscarriage. Dr. Saffan then recommended IVF. We jumped right into that after waiting a month. I was put on birth control for less than 3 weeks. I was put on typical medications. The cycle was converted to IUI due to only 1 follicle. After a negative test, I went right back into round 2 (no birth control). This had the same result. I took time off then went back to a Clomid cycle to see how I would respond. Same result on a side with no tube so we did TI. I took time off then started another IUI cycle with Follistim. My response was better than any other so it was converted to IVF. 6 eggs were collected. 1 day 6 embryo that didn't take. I took more time off then went for another IUI, this time with Menopure. It was unsuccessful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle Kelly then Mary Hartman)
Danielle Kelly was great. She was a great communicator, and she had been through infertility herself so she could relate. Mary Hartman is okay at communicating but has failed to show compassion on numerous occasions. At one point, she told me that I had children (I do not). Another time when I asked about my 2 embryos, she told me "They've been thrown away".
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I wouldn't be at the clinic if it wasn't for their doctors. The clinic is updated, and the now has an IVF facility. The front desk is typically a mess and sometimes doesn't answer the phones. Most of the non-nurse, non-doctor staff, not all but most, treat you like a number. My financial advisor is nearly impossible to reach. You have to be proactive and stand up for yourself in an office that sees so many patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each monitoring appointment is about $200-$300 but was covered by my insurance. IUI was covered with insurance. One cycle of IVF is about $11,000 not including medication.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On more than one occasion, I've shown up for blood work and/or ultrasounds and my order has not been put in. I don't know where the failure occurs but it does.
David Saffan
Fairfax

Dr McKeeby is a straight shooter and will not waste your time...I felt that my treatment plan was determined as soon as I walked through the door due to my having a history of uterine fibroids. I never felt any concern after expressing my fears of not exploring any other options besides IVF because there were several others offered at the facility.
My only complaint [for SGF] was the poor telephone communication. I could never speak to my nurse, it took months for me to find out how much the proposed procedures would actually cost. I suggest writing any questions that you have down and taking them with you on your next visit...ask them face to face...Roughly $500 for tests not covered by insurance.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr McKeeby is a straight shooter and will not waste your time. He is very knowledgeable and direct but at times it comes off as you are an annoyance or that he lacks compassion. I think that because he has years of experience and has had success in treatment plans that when you walk through the door give your age, he glances over whatever you give him regarding your medical he has determined the course of action for you prior to testing. In some cases that’s great, but in mine not so great.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be tough, he does not mince words or facial expressions when he talks to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jeffrey McKeeby used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I had multiple rounds of preliminary testing for chromosomal issues, hsgs, but I never actually had the Chance procedure done.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jackie)
My assigned nurse never returned phone calls, or communicated with me. I was helped by other staff members who were very helpful to me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very clean clinic with short wait times...it’s like a well oiled machine in that aspect. My only complaint was the poor telephone communication. I could never speak to my nurse, it took months for me to find out how much the proposed procedures would actually cost. I suggest writing any questions that you have down and taking them with you on your next visit...ask them face to face.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
Roughly $500 for tests not covered by insurance. I couldn’t afford IVF at the time but that was roughly 10,000 per cycle.
Annapolis

Dr. Doyle had a good beside manner and has been responsive to our concerns and questions. ... He has made changes to our protocol from another clinic based on our input and results ... using autoimmune protocol, injectable progesterone. using known donor eggs. ... He was optimistic about our chances, provided updates to our protocol and was reassuring. ... Be candid and ask as many questions as you can when you see him
Our nurse and care coordinator [Shady Grove Fertility] have been very responsive. they are attentive to our scheduling and financial concerns and have been accommodating. they have helped us when we have issues with financial staff and helped coordinate all of our appointments and payments. ... The financial staff has been slow to respond to our concerns. ... they have so many patients under their care that they can deliver results and use science based protocols, yet can be lacking in personal touches smaller clinics can provide.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle had a good beside manner and has been responsive to our concerns and questions. We hope to have good results under his care. He has made changes to our protocol from another clinic based on our input and results
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be candid and ask as many questions as you can when you see him
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was optimistic about our chances, provided updates to our protocol and was reassuring. His clinical staff has been responsive to our concerns and questions, explaining reasoning for medical decision making.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
using autoimmune protocol, injectable progesterone. using known donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian Oseni)
Our nurse and care coordinator have been very responsive. they are attentive to our scheduling and financial concerns and have been accommodating. they have helped us when we have issues with financial staff and helped coordinate all of our appointments and payments.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a leader in the field, but there are times where you are not an individual, but a client. they have so many patients under their care that they can deliver results and use science based protocols, yet can be lacking in personal touches smaller clinics can provide.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
we are using a shared risk model, which increases costs but provides us with money back guarantee
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The financial staff has been slow to respond to our concerns. They have failed to provide us with timelines of when payment will be due, making it hard to financially plan.
Rockville

We've had good experience [with Dr. Moon] albeit not the result we hoped for yet. I would appreciate more guidance with regards to use of supplements and alternative wellbeing eg acupuncture, but unless there is hard science and evidence she doesn't make recommendations. We would have liked to have been given the full pgs report after both lots of treatments as it would have helped us process the disappointment. On asking we received it, but you have to know to ask and be your own advocate.
[nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] Very kind. Always responded to emails and calls...Convenience of location, size of practice and data to support clinical judgement. I would rather it was my Dr doing transfer, retrieval but that comes down to timing of your procedure and their scheduling
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
We've had good experience albeit not the result we hoped for yet. I would appreciate more guidance with regards to use of supplements and alternative wellbeing eg acupuncture, but unless there is hard science and evidence she doesn't make recommendations. We would have liked to have been given the full pgs report after both lots of treatments as it would have helped us process the disappointment. On asking we received it, but you have to know to ask and be your own advocate.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
The more you ask her, the more info you'll get. She has also been through ivf herself and so understands from the patient point of view.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
After second retrieval ended with no pgs normal eggs she spent a long time with us explaining the problems and what options we had. Never any pressure.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I think it was standard protocol with Menopur/Gonal f/ cetrotide and Lupron trigger. Good response, 5 embryos but only one normal. Fet failed. Second retrieval was Lupron Stop protocol with 375 Gonal f and 125 Menopur. Again good response, but all 4 embryos came back abnormal. Retrieval 3 starts tomorrow and back to first protocol. I took 2 months break and tried all the supplements etc of my own accord.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alex)
Very kind. Always responded to emails and calls
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Convenience of location, size of practice and data to support clinical judgement. I would rather it was my Dr doing transfer, retrieval but that comes down to timing of your procedure and their scheduling.
Kimberly Moon
Washington DC
Dr. Doyle took a lot of time to meet with my husband and I prior to us selecting the clinic. He has also met with me and called me to answer additional questions....Dr. Doyle is a good and clear communicator. He backed up his recommendations and plans with data and research to explain what he was thinking and why. He took time to call me when I had additional questions. He ensure we were comfortable with the plan.
SG [Shady Grove] is a power house in the world of fertility....Really, all concerns relate to the financial department and a lack of communication there...We decided to proceed with SG because of their results and also because of their shared risk program, which is very unique...Because of this results-oriented approach, you do not get the same level of personalization and attention as you would at a smaller clinic.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared and come with a lot of questions in mind.
Dr. Doyle has recommended a my use of estradiol and injectable progesterone to prepare for transfer. I will also use an autoimmune protocol with prednisone.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SG is a power house in the world of fertility. They do a lot of research and have many patients. Because of this results-oriented approach, you do not get the same level of personalization and attention as you would at a smaller clinic. We decided to proceed with SG because of their results and also because of their shared risk program, which is very unique.
We paid to complete a shared risk with donor eggs program which costs about $30,000 not including medications but comes with a guarantee.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Really, all concerns relate to the financial department and a lack of communication there. I felt like we had to be really on top of them in order to give them a lot of money. This shouldn't be the feeling and primary stressor during this process.
Rockville

He [Dr. Osheroff] always called to follow up during treatment and explained everything in detail...is a good communicator....He did not give false hope, but was compassionate at the same time. I was always well-informed every step of the way during our last IVF cycle....I was given the lowest doses, which were slowly increased based off of the results of my blood tests and ultrasounds. My body did not react quickly and they were only able to retrieve two eggs, one of which was transferred. It was not a successful cycle.
I paid a little less than $8,000 for one IVF cycle [at Shady Grove Fertility] that included a military discount...Appointments are readily available and you have access to a nurse 24/7 via phone. It is easy to get in touch with the nurses. The clinic is in convenient locations. The financial counselors could be a little bit more quick to respond though...[nurse] Responded quickly and was always available to answer any questions I had. Always organized and efficient, yet kind
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff is a good communicator. He always explains things in detail. He did not give false hope, but was compassionate at the same time. I was always well-informed every step of the way during our last IVF cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask questions or take breaks from treatment if you need it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
He always called to follow up during treatment and explained everything in detail.
Describe the protocols Joseph Osheroff used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I started off on birth control for a month and then started injections. I was given the lowest doses, which were slowly increased based off of the results of my blood tests and ultrasounds. My body did not react quickly and they were only able to retrieve two eggs, one of which was transferred. It was not a successful cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim B.)
Responded quickly and was always available to answer any questions I had. Always organized and efficient, yet kind.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid a little less than $8,000 for one IVF cycle that included a military discount. My insurance did not cover any of the treatment.
Joseph Osheroff
Columbia

[Dr. Jeffrey McKeeby] had a strong preference on elective single embryo transfer and did not explain in detail why...Sometimes I felt rushed and didn't completely understand his explanations...Our visits were only 10-15 minutes that felt rushed. He was not very compassionate or caring about our diagnosis and how that effected us. He did not care to ask what we wanted or how we felt. Always confused leaving his office, never confident in the plan he had chosen for us.
[The nurse at Shady Grove Fertility was] Caring, very helpful but always felt like she was too busy for me...The billing department is always behind. The front desk ladies are always very nice and helpful. The phlebotomists in the office are always wonderful, I never have any problems getting blood and its always painless!! The sonogram techs are very comforting and helpful...My doctor had a strong preference on elective single embryo transfer and did not explain in detail why.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very nice doctor but he did not take enough time explaining procedures or our next steps. Our visits were only 10-15 minutes that felt rushed. He was not very compassionate or caring about our diagnosis and how that effected us. He did not care to ask what we wanted or how we felt. Always confused leaving his office, never confident in the plan he had chosen for us.
I would not recommend Dr. McKeeby if you are looking for a doctor who is compassionate or willing to give you the extra time to explain further or answer questions and concerns.
Sometimes I felt rushed and didn't completely understand his explanations.
Caring, very helpful but always felt like she was too busy for me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Jeffrey McKeeby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Annapolis

Very knowledgeable and compassionate all the times meeting him [Dr. Katz]. Heard from him with negative preg tests, when no embryos created and also when I had 2 embryos the next round. He likes to call directly with that news so it meant a lot, especially with lots of nurse communication throughout the process. ... First protocol resulted in no eggs making embryo stage so Lupron cycle was done next two rounds with success. Also ERA done after first failed FET.
They [Shady Grove] are knowledgeable but there are a lot of patients at once. Sometimes feel like a number, especially after monitoring appointments. They try really hard to not make you feel this way. I trust they know what they are doing. ... All nurses have been amazing from the coordinator to the surgical nurses at the surgical center. So very understanding and compassionate.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very knowledgeable and compassionate all the times meeting him. Heard from him with negative preg tests, when no embryos created and also when I had 2 embryos the next round. He likes to call directly with that news so it meant a lot, especially with lots of nurse communication throughout the process.
Ask a lot of questions, he will answer them all
Many patients in and out sometimes makes you wonder how personalized your care is
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are knowledgeable but there are a lot of patients at once. Sometimes feel like a number, especially after monitoring appointments. They try really hard to not make you feel this way. I trust they know what they are doing.
Hard to get there before work but they saw patients pretty quick. Weekends at Towson we’re a nightmare, too many people
Was not itemized
Doesn’t recommend multiple but will transfer multiple if you really want to
Bel Air

She [Dr. Malik] was very pleasant and sat and talked with me . I did but feel rushed fir the consultation. However I asked her before I got started if they could do just my blood work and testing for another site I was doing the ivf from and she assured me that they could. I later found out they they could not. Which was extremely heart breaking ...
There should be more private reception area [at Shady Grove]. The reception area is right by the waiting area and every one can hear what ever you have to discuss with them. The billing area is right there. The reception speak loud. We are there for an already sensitive topic . ... The nursing staff did not seem rude but were not very welcoming and friendly
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was very pleasant and sat and talked with me . I did but feel rushed fir the consultation. However I asked her before I got started if they could do just my blood work and testing for another site I was doing the ivf from and she assured me that they could. I later found out they they could not. Which was extremely heart breaking
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure she knows exactly what she is saying is correct information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
The first time I went I was treated well but after felt like a number
Describe the protocols Shruti Malik used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was ordered to do a saline sonogram
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff did not seem rude but were not very welcoming and friendly
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
There should be more private reception area. The reception area is right by the waiting area and every one can hear what ever you have to discuss with them. The billing area is right there. The reception speak loud. We are there for an already sensitive topic .
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility.
I am not sure
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was told that they could do all bloodwork and monitor to me for ivf since my clinic that I was using for the ivf was out of state . They told me to find a place to monitor me and that could do my test locally.
Shruti Malik
Fair Oaks

She is clear and honest. Dr Reh is more into the scientific results and medical procedures than any other options (like natural supplements NeoQ10)...From the beginning Dr Reh told us that after 40’s fertility chances goes down around 90%, she explained in detail the process, she was realistic and precise with our expectations. Dr Reh has knowledge and experience about fertility treatments...Regular protocol with injections and trainings. Maybe the amount of dosage were higher for me because I had lots of eggs, but not much quality.
Shady Grove fertility is a huge company that provides anything is needed for fertility problems. They have an specialist for all the needs. There’s not another place with all the advantages that Shady Grove offers. In our case the nurse is always lovely and kind, Cristina B. usually returns calls the same day. She explains in detail every step of the process, always kind and patient... They have staff and support teams for any need. From the beginning until the end the patient knows what to expect, what to do, what is next and what is happening. Very hard to find a clinic with this much of organization for every step of this complicated process. There’s no waste of time here.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
From the beginning Dr Reh told us that after 40’s fertility chances goes down around 90%, she explained in detail the process, she was realistic and precise with our expectations. Dr Reh has knowledge and experience about fertility treatments. She is clear and honest. Dr Reh is more into the scientific results and medical procedures than any other options (like natural supplements NeoQ10). There’s not scientific proof that natural supplements improve fertility, but our point was if it does not hurt, why not?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Reh works for Shady Grove, which is a center that has everything is needed for fertility treatments, she works with many patients daily and experience is everything.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Cristina - Nurse)
Cristina Brocato is a great nurse, very kind and with a lovely attitude to her patients. She was the easy part in this process, very supportive, with a lot of patience. Cristina definitively made a big difference through the process. She was kind and responded every single one of my many questions and concerns.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is by far the most complete fertility clinic. It provides help and support through the whole process. They have staff and support teams for any need. From the beginning until the end the patient knows what to expect, what to do, what is next and what is happening. Very hard to find a clinic with this much of organization for every step of this complicated process. There’s no waste of time here.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
Around 10,000 I believe but not sure
Describe Andrea Reh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I
Leesburg

It was a standard IVF protocol [with Dr.Nancy Durso]...Start with low doses and slowly work up in dose. She didn’t cater to me and my body which resulted in a lot of my eggs being fried or too mature and so many little ones. We had 53 follicles, 34 eggs and only 26 mature...She forced us almost into not transferring more than one when we were set on transferring two based on past experience...She cared during my miscarriage but the rest of the treatment I barely saw her or she was quick and cold and wasn’t open to hearing us out or our ideas or suggestions the answer was always “this is how we do it here”
Strength [at Shady Grove Fertility-Fredericksburg] is their process Consult to transfer. Very organized. Weakness is not having patients feel like numbers and not transferring morulas in order to not lower statistics. Another strength is they hire people who truly care...Nursing staff is amazing. My main nurse was office lead so she was busy and getting ahold of her was sort of hard at times...They don’t cater protocols to specific patients very well. You have to be your own advocate
How was your experience with Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be your own advocate
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
Human because she seemed to care. Number because it was routine protocols not catered to me very much
Describe the protocols Nancy Durso used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
It was a standard IVF protocol for someone with pics. Start with low doses and slowly work up in dose. She didn’t cater to me and my body which resulted in a lot of my eggs being fried or too mature and so many little ones. We had 53 follicles, 34 eggs and only 26 mature.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rosie NP and Andrea RN)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strength is their process Consult to transfer. Very organized. Weakness is not having patients feel like numbers and not transferring morulas in order to not lower statistics. Another strength is they hire people who truly care.
Describe Nancy Durso's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Nancy Durso
Fredericksburg

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Jeffrey McKeeby] spent a lot of time talking to me and even went over on time on an appointment when I showed up late...even draws pictures upside down from across his desk so we could see anatomically where the numbers were coming from and he gave up detailed information about the hormone levels...We tried IUI and get 4 follicles and a high sperm count, the office told us it was excellent but we still didn't get pregnant.
I think that the financial piece of the puzzle which was a huge factor of the treatment plan should be clearly explained [by Shady Grove Fertility] when the treatment options are given. You are only allowed to have one treatment plan even though you discuss multiple options with the doctor, this results in numerous phone calls to the financial consultant to discuss your options and if you try to combine plans like taking eggs out for IVF and you want to also freeze some of those eggs they will not let you.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He takes the time to explain the information and even draws pictures upside down from across his desk so we could see anatomically where the numbers were coming from and he gave up detailed information about the hormone levels.
Don't expect to be able to retrieve eggs for IVF and set some of those eggs aside to freeze.
He spent a lot of time talking to me and even went over on time on an appointment when I showed up late.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think that the financial piece of the puzzle which was a huge factor of the treatment plan should be clearly explained when the treatment options are given. You are only allowed to have one treatment plan even though you discuss multiple options with the doctor, this results in numerous phone calls to the financial consultant to discuss your options and if you try to combine plans like taking eggs out for IVF and you want to also freeze some of those eggs they will not let you.
My insurance does not cover any fertility treatment, so everything was out of pocket.
Annapolis

Dr. Widra is not what most people would call "warm" but he is very knowledgeable and straightforward, traits that are more important to me in a fertility doctor. He's very good at explaining options and addressed my concerns without me feeling like I had been dismissed.
Not a major error, but the care coordinator missed the window for a diagnostic test.... Shady Grove has some great aspects: they do a lot of volume, so I think their lab is very good, and they have a lot of locations which is very convenient, especially for me as I live close to one lab but work closer to another. Downside is that it can feel somewhat impersonal and like you're not getting a lot of individualized attention.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do not expect a lot of "hand holding" per se.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He's very personable but it's overall a very large practice.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Too early in treatment to know.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chloe)
Nurses have overall been great.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
So far, most of my treatment has been covered by insurance.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2013 - 2018, Successful
When I was doing the IUIs (2), I felt more like a number. But as we moved into our IVF cycles, I had increased interactions with Dr. Widra. After my first miscarriage, I felt Dr. Widra responded with genuine compassion and personalized care. From then on, I felt he really knew me and my history...I found Dr. Widra to be compassionate, but also frank. He didn't sugarcoat anything, but I certainly never found him cold....
I actually went through 2 nurses [at Shady Grove] who were not good communicators, not organized, and with whom I was not happy. After my negative experience with the second, I spoke with my doctor and he had me transferred to another nurse, who was excellent. She was clearly so much better than either of the first two....Strengths: multiple locations, very good hours for appointments, usually pretty efficient monitoring hours Weaknesses: takes some time before various personnel get to know you. your doctor is likely not going to do your procedures
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I found Dr. Widra to be compassionate, but also frank. He didn't sugarcoat anything, but I certainly never found him cold. When trying for my first, we went through a number of retrievals and transfers and I appreciated feeling "known" despite being at a very large clinic that has a reputation for being a factory. I am detail oriented and Dr. Widra always took the time to answer my questions, whether in person or on the phone. While much of my communication was with my nurse, if there was difficult or sensitive information to deliver, he always called me himself and I never felt rushed off the phone. We ended up doing PGS testing and when I became pregnant, Dr. Widra told me to call him if I ever had any questions. We were indeed told at one point in my pregnancy that we should consider an amnio to rule out chromosomal abnormalities. At this point it had been a few months since I saw Dr. Widra, but I called him and he returned my call within hours. We went back to Dr. Widra when we were ready to try for our second, and unfortunately we did not have success. After two cycles, he recommended we move on to donor egg. While we weren't (aren't) ready to do that, I appreciated his honesty about how he views our situation.
That he may not be the warmest upon first impression, but you should not take his frankness for a lack of compassion.
In the early part of my treatment, when I was doing the IUIs (2), I felt more like a number. But as we moved into our IVF cycles, I had increased interactions with Dr. Widra. After my first miscarriage, I felt Dr. Widra responded with genuine compassion and personalized care. From then on, I felt he really knew me and my history.
I began with fairly low doses of menopur and bravelle, 75 and 150, respectively. But that cycle did not produce many follicles. In my subsequent cycles, I was using higher doses -- around 150 menopur and 300 bravelle. I did two antagonist protocols: bcp followed by stims, with cetrotide added when the follicles got to a certain size. While these yielded a decent number of eggs, Dr. Widra thought we might be able to get more with estrogen priming, so we did that for my last cycle when trying for my first. When trying for my second, we started with estrogen priming since that had yielded the most eggs when I was trying for my first. However, that did not result in many eggs, so Dr. Widra proposed a micro-dose Lupron protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I actually went through 2 nurses who were not good communicators, not organized, and with whom I was not happy. After my negative experience with the second, I spoke with my doctor and he had me transferred to another nurse, who was excellent. She was clearly so much better than either of the first two. I actually had a similar experience the second time around. I started out with a pretty subpar nurse, but spoke to the office manager and was transferred to a nurse who was incredible. So I think the bottom line is that there is a range of nurses at the clinic and I would recommend self-advocating if you feel unhappy with your nurse.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is huge and therefore has the expected strengths and weaknesses. Strengths: multiple locations, very good hours for appointments, usually pretty efficient monitoring hours Weaknesses: takes some time before various personnel get to know you. your doctor is likely not going to do your procedures
I found monitoring appointments pretty easy because there were multiple locations I could go. There were often multiple women waiting, but that didn't negatively impact my experience. I knew that the earlier I went, the less time I would have to wait. Very occasionally, I would be taken to a room and then had to wait for 10-15 minutes, but usually once I was taken to a room, I was seen within a few minutes.
I was part of shared risk, both times. That meant I paid an upfront fee (~25,000) that covered up to 6 cycles and I got my money back if it didn't work.
Dr. Widra had a strong preference for eSET given that we were exclusively transferring 5 day embryos. I appreciated this approach, given that it is safer for both women and babies.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I honestly don't remember the exact details, but there was an incident with a nurse giving me conflicting or inaccurate information. I followed-up with my doctor, who clearly provided the accurate information and also made sure that I was re-assigned to a different and more competent nurse.
Sibley

[Dr. Barbara Osborn] is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions...As a single woman I was nervous about judgment from the doctor and there was none of that. She takes the individual circumstance and recommends treatment based on that, without judgement. I only see or talk to Dr. Osborn periodically and most communication is with the nurses...Have a lot of questions prepared in advance. She is very patient about answering them but might not provide all the information YOU want unless you ask.
Vanessa [nurse at Shady Grove] is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours)...There was just one instance where one nurse called and gave me instructions and then an hour later another nurse called and said they talked to another doctor and changed the protocol. I am happy there was more than one doctor involved (my doc was on vacation) but it was confusing and made me question the process a little.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is empathetic and gives the information I need to make decisions.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
As I am a single woman, without any known fertility issues, she started me with two unmedicated IUI cycles. These were unsuccessful so then we talked and I said I wanted to be more aggressive so the next cycle I went did Clomid, Follistim, trigger, and Progesterone. This was also unsuccessful but will try another cycle with the same protocol.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa)
Vanessa is very responsive via both phone and email. I always get a response within a few hours (in business hours).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a business and run like a business but I trust their success rates. There is not a lot of personalization but I have not pushed too much for that either. There are a lot of locations so my main office is near my home for the monitoring and blood work appointments but I go to a further office for the IUI's as that is where they store the donor sperm.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
Unmedicated/unmonitored IUI was $295 Medicated IUI with monitoring, blood work, IUI is $1800 - not including medications
Barbara Osborn
Sibley

Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me...When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI.
I love that the clinic [Shady Grove - DC K St] has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring....I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me-Sheila Ormond who is a phenomenal nurse and support to me during my cycles. When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI. I really wanted to see Dr. Devine and get her real time insights on my cycle. Same thing during my 2nd IUI cycle. Doctor Devine was nowhere in sight. I was assigned a Physicians Assistant who did the IUI. During my 2nd cycle I ran into some complications --my trigger shot did not work! I was sure of it and I needed to speak to Dr. Devine desperately. The nurses did not seem concerned by my pleas to speak with her. They told me that they would handle it and that I should speak to her through them. At that point I reminded them that I am a self-pay patient and I deserved to speak with my doctor. After several hours, she called and we talked at length and she was able to devise a new plan of action. Again, I respect Dr. Devine and her expertise and it is this respect that I have for her that leaves me wanting more contact with her, especially during a complicated cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Have all of your questions written down in advance. She does a great job answering them but you must offer them. If not, she keeps it short and sweet. Also feel free to contribute your thoughts and ideas, after all you are an expert on your own body. She is willing to work with patients when devising treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I feel that Dr. Devine treats me like a human being. When she was forced to cancel my first IUI cycle due to over-stimulation she called me personally to tell me and to go over next steps. Since I was paying completely out of pocket she was able to work with me to do my next IUI at no cost, even the meds were provided for me. I really appreciated this gesture.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
1st cancelled IUI cycle protocol: Clomid 100 mg CD 2-7, Gonal -F 75 CD7-9, trigger, vaginal prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result: cancelled due to overstim 2nd IUI Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger,Estrace due to thin lining, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result BFN 3rd Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger (trigger failed), 2nd trigger novarel administered intramuscular, Estrace due to thin lining on femera, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result TBD I was started out on a high dose protocol due to an elevated day 3FSH, I overstimmed and I also had strange visual side effects with the clomid so I was switched to femera. Not sure why I was switched to menopur but my nurse said something about it being helpful to my lining? (not sure whether that is coming from any real wisdom or if it was a way to get me to stop asking questions) I was switched to novarel trigger during my 3rd cycle because I did not respond to the Ovidrel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila Ormond)
Sheila Ormond is a sweet, and helpful Nurse. She answers my questions and lets me know when she cannot and when she cannot she always follows up with Dr Devine in order to get me an answer.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I love that the clinic has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring. The staff keeps the flow of patients moving quickly. The clinic is closed at 4 and for an hour midday for lunch (12-1) I think given its high capacity functioning and sheer number of patients, it should be open for scheduling and calls during the lunch hour. It should also close at 5 (6 even). Other than the morning monitoring hours, the rest of the day's schedule isn't very convenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
base IUI fee $1800 Meds: $500
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Admittedly, I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer. For example, I asked whether progesterone can be measured in my blood the day after ovulation. I was told by the PA who administered my IUI that it could not. But I knew that it could. It may not be at peak but it would still begin to slowly rise. I pushed for a blood test and sure enough it hadn't moved and that is how Dr. Devine confirmed that I had not in fact ovulated from the trigger.
Kate Devine

2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Dr. Guarde is excellent in person and on the phone, and very relatable. My concerns are that she never informed me in advance when she would be unavailiable.....she was on vacation or otherwise not working during two of my three "own egg" transfers, which was very upsetting to discover in the moment... She was always very supportive, but I feel like almost too gentle without providing solid recommendations for the next step, ie when to move on to donor egg.
Multiple times I had to call the emergency care number [at Shady Grove] to get results and be provided the correct dose of meds or timing of my shots/appointments because they failed to follow instructions on which number to call. Admittedly, my schedule was unique, but I provided very clear instructions on which phone number to leave results but they often failed to read the notes in my file and called the wrong number which I could not reach remotely to verify the next step in my protocol. Fortunately, no cycle was ever lost due to the comms error, but it did cause extra stress that I did not need.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde is very personable and relatable, and is the only woman that practices at the clinic I was at. In hindsight she was a little too optimistic and her hopes for a pregnancy with my own eggs ended up costing me a lot more than I thought I would expend to get pregnant, finally only having a viable pregnancy through donor egg (and two separate donors at that). I only saw her in person twice, once for my initial consult and once during an early ultrasound with my first pregnancy. The rest of the time all comms came through the nurse. I did have several phone calls with Dr. Garde to discuss the outcome of my miscarriages and the way ahead. She was always very supportive, but I feel like almost too gentle without providing solid recommendations for the next step, ie when to move on to donor egg.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask her the hard questions, because she will not tell you unless you ask. If you ask, she's very forthcoming.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Rachana Garde used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did 3 cycles using an "antagonist" protocol, each with increasing doses of menopur and gonal F. My first cycle rendered the most eggs and embryos, but none of the cycles ever ended up producing a PGS-testable "blastocyst" and so embryos were implanted without testing, resulting in miscarriage or BNF. First cycle implanted 3 embryos resulting in week 11 miscarriage. Second cycle implanted 2 embryos resulting in week 7 twin miscarriage. Third cycle implanted 2 embryos resulting in BNF. Dr. Garde never explained the rationale behind the protocol or the increase in dosage or why she didn't want to use a different protocol. After the third cycle I moved on to donor egg.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley (forget last name))
Ashley was very caring and supportive when providing the results of my blood tests.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility is very much a baby making factory that is interested in outcomes and not so much the care and treatment of the individual. But they get results....they just might not be the results you hoped for (pregnancy via donor egg instead of your own eggs) and the way you hoped (seeing your doctor verses the "on call" doctor).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was a self-paying patient (no insurance coverage) and was provided a 25% discount for being active duty military. First 2 cycles were purchased as a group for ~$17000 (with discount) and 3rd cycle was purchased separately for ~$12000.
Describe Rachana Garde's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We discussed very early on my desire for a singleton, but was convinced that due to advanced age that more embryos needed to be implanted, and my decision was helped because the embryos were not of freezable quality, so it was either implant or destroy, so I did the multiple embryo transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Multiple times I had to call the emergency care number to get results and be provided the correct dose of meds or timing of my shots/appointments because they failed to follow instructions on which number to call. Admittedly, my schedule was unique, but I provided very clear instructions on which phone number to leave results but they often failed to read the notes in my file and called the wrong number which I could not reach remotely to verify the next step in my protocol. Fortunately, no cycle was ever lost due to the comms error, but it did cause extra stress that I did not need.
Rachana Garde

2016 - 2018, Unknown Success
Andrea [Reh] was extremely kind and really took the time to explain everything, including things that were not necessarily in her scope of expertise (financing). She was very patient and really explored all options with me. In addition, she was very honest...As a single woman, she was supportive of my journey. I never felt worried about doing this alone. Andrea never made me feel like she was rushing.
Shady Grove has cutting-edge technology and gives you confidence in the procedures and treatments. They have many different locations and everyone from front desk staff to the physicians are extremely kind. At times, I had some difficulty getting super specific information or suggestions about finances....The entire nursing staff was always very kind. I felt very comfortable and welcome....I believe using my froze eggs (including transfer) costs somewhere around 16K, if this is not successful, using an egg donor (shared) will be around 19k.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Andrea was very thorough in exploring all of my options. As a single woman, she was supportive of my journey. I never felt worried about doing this alone. Andrea never made me feel like she was rushing. In fact, when I apologized for asking so many questions, she told me that it was her job and to ask her everything I needed to. In addition, I was told to contact her with further questions. She encouraged me to keep all of my options open and explore all possibilities. Each time I go, Andrea makes me feel that I matter and am not just another number.
That she is very nice and thorough - don't hesitate to ask her any questions.
Andrea was extremely kind and really took the time to explain everything, including things that were not necessarily in her scope of expertise (financing). She was very patient and really explored all options with me. In addition, she was very honest.
I had fibroid surgery while I was under Andrea's care. I had all of the testing done to assess readiness for IVF. My treatment was pause in order to secure proper financing. We discussed transferring my eggs from NY, using egg donors, and using sperm donors.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: first nurse is no longer there)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I was able to use insurance only for the fibroid surgery. Everything else has been out of pocket - my insurance does not cover anything. I believe using my froze eggs (including transfer) costs somewhere around 16K, if this is not successful, using an egg donor (shared) will be around 19k.
Annapolis

he [Dr. Eric Widra] has been the best at the worst times, meaning when things have gone off course he has been attentive and sympathetic...Don't expect to see a lot of him or have him at all your monitoring. However, his approach is great and he is amenable to your perspective and feedback...We tried iui but I ovulated before we could actually do the procedure (due to monitoring problems related to fibroids). For ivf, I did a course of birth control, then follistim and menopur, then added in ganirilex.
SGF is sort of factory but good in that monitoring is easy. Lots of open times for monitoring and SGF is a 24/7 facility, so that makes scheduling easy and good for getting answers. You don't always get a lot of personal treatment though and some of the techs are not great. Can be a bit hit or miss...Nursing staff was excellent. Carrie was a great communicator and had to address a lot of tough issues with us. Really love Latrice for monitoring - super professional and helpful.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm still in treatment with Dr. Widra. It has been a frustrating process for things outside his control. However, he has been the best at the worst times, meaning when things have gone off course he has been attentive and sympathetic.
Dr.Widra has a very straightforward manner that I appreciated. He doesn't do a lot of hand holding, which I didn't need. He also doesn't do a lot of the communication, which I would have preferred. His nurse, however, is very reachable and excellent. I had a complication during my ivf stimulation and Dr. Widra was really great about it.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
I paid for a 2 package ivf with pgs testing. I think it was about 24K
Not applicable yet
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Part clinic fault and part fibroids. We tried to do iui but I have fibroids. I had one bad tech visit for monitoring and the tech couldn't find my ovaries. As a result, I ovulated before we could do the procedure.

2016 - 2018, Unsuccessful
He [Dr. Mottla] was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part...Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
[Shady Grove ] Most in the Annapolis are nice and show compassion. One of the doctors I had for an IUI in Toowson was so mean. One of the phlebotomists in Annapolis was very rude to me during an emotional moment which left me cryin* for hours after an IUI. There is potential to feel l8r just a number but overall the compassion shown by most avoids that...I got a phone voice message from a nurse saying something about my blood work confirming recent ovulation...I was in the middle of ivf and hadn’t recently ovulated.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was amazing and I am so glad he was my doctor. At times I wish he was a little more thorough or “out of the box” but overall I wholeheartedly recommend him. I’ve never had a doctor show so much compassion. Because of how the practice is set up, sometimes you didn’t get to see him or you would have to communicate with him through nurses but that was the only frustrating part.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your research ahead of time and have plenty of questions to ask him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very compassionate, always felt he cared about me and my goals.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Iuis-2cyckes with clomid, 1 with injectibles Ivfs-Lupron stop, then Gonal f and menopur. First ivf cycle, 8 eggs only 6 mature, 3 fertilized, one transferred (ABG), none to freeze 2nd ivf cycle, 8 eggs, all mature, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred (ABG) none to freeze In both cases had implantation and heartbeat, but miscarried at 7 weeks.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
Ivfs- $18,000 for 2 cycles. Iuis- around $1800 per cycle
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I wish he would have considered transferring larger number on day 3, rather than be8ng selective on day 5. I will always wonder if any of the others would have led to a successful pregnancy.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I got a phone voice message from a nurse saying something about my blood work confirming recent ovulation...I was in the middle of ivf and hadn’t recently ovulated. She was new and I think confused. No biggie. The various branches are not always consistent. For example after ET in Rockville, I was told no lifting over 20 lbs. for 3 days; another nurse said no lifting for 10 days; and my nurse said no lifting for entire pregnancy. Similar inconsistencies with herbal teas, caffeine, etc. didn’t bother me a ton since I know different doctors have different approaches.
Annapolis

On first consultation he [Dr. Mottla] made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc ... Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. ... Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic. ... He was friendly enough but has an experience where he was 30 minutes late to appointment and hadn’t reviewed updated tests prior to speaking with us so seemed unprepared for our appt. ..
We never heard back from the nurse until we got a phone call from our financial counselor telling us that we had to pay same day or our date/surgery wouldn’t happen. ... The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc. ...
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
On first consultation he made observations based off of questions, frequency and regularity of period etc and without further testing speculated that our issue was probably irregular ovulation. Said that cloned would probably do the trick. Speculated that testosterone/MFI was probably not an issue by looking at husbands muscle and facial hair. That set hopes and expectations high. Come to find out we have MFI and I am fine. Much longer process than simply taking clinic.
Do research prior to appointment so you know what questions to ask.
All female diagnostic tests. Then male diagnostic. Husband tested positive for genetic condition which causes azoospermia. Was put on medication to increase testosterone level for three months and then underwent Micro-TESE to retrieve sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Townsend)
Nurse was responsive but didn’t seem to fully communicate all the information between us and other doctors. Was good if we pressed for information or answers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was clean and generally on time with appointments. The staff was mostly friendly and pretty helpful especially when scheduling appointments. Never seemed too busy in the office. They could do a bit more explaining of things for newer patients rather than just assuming that we’d been there before and knew what to do or where to sit etc.
All diagnostics which were mostly covered by insurance for husband and myself totalled about $2K. That included two counsyl genetic carrier tests at $299 each. Surgery for $8500 out of pocket and have not gotten to first IVF cycle yet.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had talked to our nurse about scheduling a surgical procedure and were told that she’d reach out to the doctors assistant to find out what day/times were available. We never heard back from the nurse until we got a phone call from our financial counselor telling us that we had to pay same day or our date/surgery wouldn’t happen. As far as we’d known nothing had been scheduled and we being asked to pay quite a large sum of money within the next 4 hours or so. Communication was lacking from the nurse.