6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. [Joseph] Doyle is great and explains things well but in the end you speak to his nurse more than him. I would still return to him because he had a great sense of humor and when he felt that we were losing hope he did personally do one of the IUI procedures. I would and will be more insistent in communicating with him directly....Sheila and Jessica were Dr. Doyle's nurse and assistant. Both were on top of my treatment and would always be compassionate when they had to deliver bad news. I appreciated that.
Strength was the amount of success stories and their reputation. I never had to wait too long for an appointment and they were very responsive to emails and calls. A weakness was that it did, at times, feel like a factory.We are now taking a break from treatment just to clear our heads. My only real issue with the facility were some of the nurses. Dr. Doyle's nurse Sheila was great but some of the others were cold and not as friendly.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I attended a seminar held by Dr. Doyle. He was so nice and explained IUI and IVF clearly. We had 2 appointments with him and he did one of the IUI procedures. I felt completely comfortable with him but unfortunately there has been no success. He did warn us that nothing was guaranteed. We are now taking a break from treatment just to clear our heads. My only real issue with the facility were some of the nurses. Dr. Doyle's nurse Sheila was great but some of the others were cold and not as friendly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle is great and explains things well but in the end you speak to his nurse more than him. I would still return to him because he had a great sense of humor and when he felt that we were losing hope he did personally do one of the IUI procedures. I would and will be more insistent in communicating with him directly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
I loved Dr. Doyle and his nurse Sheila. Some of the other nurses and staff were just cold and not always friendly.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
All of our tests were negative. We had unexplained infertility. Since we had nothing diagnosed as being "wrong" Dr. Doyle suggested we try IUI first since my insurance covered six cycles. Even though they were not successful I'm glad we tried it so we can be prepared for IVF.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila O.)
Joseph Doyle

2016, Unknown Success
Dr. O'Brien is a busy person, to be sure, but I never had a day where I had a question or concern that I didn't at least get a return phone call by the end of the day. Her positivity is contagious and she was always ready with a plan b or c when plan A didn't work. As someone who despises going to the doctor it truly suprised me the day I realized that I saw here as more of a friend than a doctor. If you need someone in your corner, someone to keep faith that this will work even when you've lost all yours, Dr. OBrien is a great choice...
Shady Grove is a big clinic, so yes you sometimes feel a bit like a number, but if you find the right Doctor and Nurse, the long road of infertility suddenly doesnt seem so dark and lonely...Ask questions. You'll feel better knowing all the answers. And trust her when she says she'll make it work. She doesn't give up :)...While my nurse, Effie often called with day to day results, Dr OBrien always followed up with a phone call if the results were something important. She was very respectful of my feelings (and since I was on lots of hormones there were LOTS of feelings) and she always stayed hopeful...
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went to Dr O'Brien after having a rather negative experience with a different doctor and it was like night and day. Our case was a little unconventional. Because of how far away we lived from Rockville, we didn't meet Dr O'Brien in person until the day of egg retrieval but we both felt like we already knew each other from various phone interactions. Dr. O'Brien is a busy person, to be sure, but I never had a day where I had a question or concern that I didn't at least get a return phone call by the end of the day. Her positivity is contagious and she was always ready with a plan b or c when plan A didn't work. As someone who despises going to the doctor it truly suprised me the day I realized that I saw here as more of a friend than a doctor. If you need someone in your corner, someone to keep faith that this will work even when you've lost all yours, Dr. OBrien is a great choice
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
While my nurse, Effie often called with day to day results, Dr OBrien always followed up with a phone call if the results were something important. She was very respectful of my feelings (and since I was on lots of hormones there were LOTS of feelings) and she always stayed hopeful. I felt very loved and cared for under her care
Rockville

Dr. Kipersztok very much cared about me as a patient, but it didn't seem to show until after we failed a couple times. He personally made time to call me, even on his days off, with results and other important news during my cycles...Different REs did my retrievals and transfers, even though Dr. Kipersztok was my primary RE. For the third cycle, it felt much more like he personally cared about my case, especially since we had two miserable failures preceding this. He requested to personally do both my retrieval and transfer, and that was the cycle that worked.
The nurses [Shady Grove - Waldorf] sometimes assumed that you knew what you were doing when you had no clue...Billing can be frustrating to work with...It was very difficult to understand billing statements and procedure codes... I also had to call in to clarify conflicting information between my original med plan and voicemails left after monitoring to ensure that they meant to make a change...Perhaps due to its size, I often felt like a number rather than a patient...
How was your experience with Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself. Don't be afraid to ask for the level of communication you need.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
For the first two cycles, I felt very much so treated as a number. Different REs did my retrievals and transfers, even though Dr. Kipersztok was my primary RE. For the third cycle, it felt much more like he personally cared about my case, especially since we had two miserable failures preceding this. He requested to personally do both my retrieval and transfer, and that was the cycle that worked.
Describe the protocols Simon Kipersztok (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I started with the generic protocol (Menopur + Gonal-F) for the first cycle. We did an eSET on day 5 that was unsuccessful (chemical pregnancy) and didn't have any embryos that made it to the freezer. For the next cycle, we added Lupron to my protocol in addition to the Menopur and Gonal-F. That produced almost double the eggs of the first cycle. We transferred two embryos on day 5 and none made it to the freezer again. This cycle was also unsuccessful. For the third cycle, we kept the same medication protocol, but transferred two embryos on day 3 and had one embryo make it to the freezer on day 5. That was the cycle that worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nikki)
The nurses sometimes assumed that you knew what you were doing when you had no clue. It was also a toss-up on when they would call you with test or monitoring results. For my second cycle, my nurse forgot to send my prescription for my medications to the specialty pharmacy. We didn't catch that until my baseline scan and I had to scramble to get my meds in time to start my cycle. Monitoring always seemed very rushed in the mornings and there wasn't always a lot of time for questions or personal care.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic has a wide network across my larger geographical area. My normal clinic was 45 minutes from my house. It was closed on the weekends, so I had to drive 90 minutes on the weekends for monitoring. Perhaps due to its size, I often felt like a number rather than a patient. Billing can be frustrating to work with, as it is in a separate office and my clinic's staff would simply tell me to call them. It was very difficult to understand billing statements and procedure codes. Since I had to pay a significant amount out of pocket, this was very frustrating.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Simon Kipersztok (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
We paid approximately $7500 per cycle for clinic costs plus approximately $3000 per cycle for medication. That was with insurance covering 50% of both the clinic costs and the medication.
Describe Simon Kipersztok (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Kipersztok highly recommends eSET, especially for the first cycle. He will always recommend eSET, but will yield to your decision if you would like to transfer two embryos.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nurse forgot to call in my meds to the specialty pharmacy for my second cycle. After my baseline monitoring, I had to spend the day on the phone with the pharmacy and the clinic to make sure everything was getting ordered and approved by insurance in time to start my cycle. There was also a time or two where I was told that they would call that day with results and I didn't hear from them until the next day. I also had to call in to clarify conflicting information between my original med plan and voicemails left after monitoring to ensure that they meant to make a change. Sometimes the change was intentional and sometimes it was a mistake.
Simon Kipersztok (retired)
Waldorf

2013 - 2016, Unsuccessful
She was kind, warm, cares about her patience in a genuine manner. ... Dr. O'Brien was empathetic. For example, when my procedures were unsuccessful, she genuinely cared about me as a person. She was a clear communicator, trustworthy. Instead of thinking about making the money for the clinic, she recommended the appropriate amount of times. She forewarned us about the maximum amount of treatment. She never gave false hope either.
When there were administrative mistakes, they [Shady Grove Fertility] made excuses instead of apologizing for their errors. Sometimes you had to wait too long in the waiting room, there were times it seemed like they forget about me. This is for blood work and ultra sound work there. This was distressing as I had a full-time job I needed to be at. ... Our first nurse had more compassion and we felt more a connection with her.
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. O'Brien was empathetic. For example, when my procedures were unsuccessful, she genuinely cared about me as a person. She was a clear communicator, trustworthy. Instead of thinking about making the money for the clinic, she recommended the appropriate amount of times. She forewarned us about the maximum amount of treatment. She never gave false hope either. There was no negative experiences with Dr. O'Brien.
She has a tremendous amount of experience, listen to her advice.
She was kind, warm, cares about her patience in a genuine manner. For example, sometimes when I went in for an ultra sound at Shady Grove, I would see other doctors. While they were fine, Dr. O'Brien was the warmest.
Describe the protocols Jeanne O'Brien used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
There were so many treatment plans, each one was unique with the end goal being a baby. We immediately decided upon IFV treatment first after removal of cysts from my ovaries. Due to advance age and stage IV endometriosis, we felt it was the best route.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Melanie, then it switched)
Our first nurse had more compassion and we felt more a connection with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
When there were administrative mistakes, they made excuses instead of apologizing for their errors. Sometimes you had to wait too long in the waiting room, there were times it seemed like they forget about me. This is for blood work and ultra sound work there. This was distressing as I had a full-time job I needed to be at.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility.
16,000 a cycle with insurance covering about 90%
Describe Jeanne O'Brien's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
There is no comments to provide. She was often against multiple embryo transfer, but let us try it one time.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I would suggest that the waiting room and blood, ultra sound team be better aligned.
2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
He [Dr Saffan] performed one IUI insemination. I rarely saw him during my monitoring appointments....During the consultation, Dr. Saffan, provided much more attention and gave sufficient explanation compared to my OB. He quickly went through the information and I had to ask clarifying questions to make sure I got everything. I felt less connected during the first consultation. After my miscarriages, I went back and he was much warmer and welcoming. His tone was very reassuring and gave me hope after a rough year.
They [team at Shady Grove in Annadale] are very organized and have a strong routine. For example, bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring is always done first thing in the morning. They do seems quite busy. I had to schedule my 3rd IUI with the Fair Oaks center because they were completely booked up. I have yet to be able to go in and out with a monitoring appointment. Instead I usually have to wait 20-30 minutes before they see me. I find it beneficial going in as early as possible when monitoring.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He performed one IUI insemination. I rarely saw him during my monitoring appointments.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Despite not seeing much of him, I do believe he, as well as all of the nurses and technicians at Shady Grove, have my best interests at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
To preface, I was originally diagnosed with unexplained infertility, so how it was perceived to me was each IUI cycle is almost a shot in the dark since they don't know the cause for the infertility. The first IUI was just with Clomid and then Ovidrel for the trigger shot, followed by progesterone. The second time I was switched from Clomid to Braville. Both did not result in a pregnancy. After two miscarriages, I am in the middle of the 3rd IUI treatment and took Gonal f instead of Clomid or Braville. Dr. Saffan also recommended I take FABB (folic acid supplement) and baby aspirin, stating that he usually recommended those supplements to those that have had miscarriages.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Chelsea)
Chelsea is amazing. She responds quickly to emails and listens intently to my needs. When we go over the cycle's schedule, she is thorough and explains everything clearly. I feel more human with her than anyone else I've encountered during this process. She makes you feel like she's giving you her entire attention and support. I love it!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are very organized and have a strong routine. For example, bloodwork and ultrasound monitoring is always done first thing in the morning. They do seems quite busy. I had to schedule my 3rd IUI with the Fair Oaks center because they were completely booked up. I have yet to be able to go in and out with a monitoring appointment. Instead I usually have to wait 20-30 minutes before they see me. I find it beneficial going in as early as possible when monitoring.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility.
My health care covers 50% of the costs associated with IUI procedures, which including medication, monitoring appointments, and IUI itself.
Fairfax

Nice. Knowledgeable. I dealt with my nurse and the staff more than her [Dr. Beall]...I didn't have a fertility problem. I was just using donor sperm. After 4 unsuccessful natural cycles, she switched me to a medicated cycle with clomid. I got pregnant on the second medicated cycle...She's perfectly nice, I just didn't develop a relationship with her. I saw her outside the office and said hi. She didn't recognize me after being her patient for 7 months.....She's a good doctor to see. Another doctor did most of my IUI procedures, so choosing a clinic is more important than choosing a specific doctor....
They [the nurses] were nice. I didn't develop any relationships with them during treatment...I usually had to have procedures on the weekends and it was a nightmare scheduling those because the after-hours call people would not forward my calls. This happened at least 4 times where I had to make frantic calls to get next day procedure appointments....explained before that it was difficult to schedule IUI's on the weekends. It was often an hour or two before my ovulation timing before I heard that I could come in for an appointment.
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Nice. Knowledgeable. I dealt with my nurse and the staff more than her. She's perfectly nice, I just didn't develop a relationship with her. I saw her outside the office and said hi. She didn't recognize me after being her patient for 7 months.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Treatments were routine, not very personalized
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim Blackwell)
They were nice. I didn't develop any relationships with them during treatment.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.
One medicated IUI cycle without insurance was $1600. As of March 2017, it's $1800. The injection shot was $100. I can't remember how much clomid was.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I explained before that it was difficult to schedule IUI's on the weekends. It was often an hour or two before my ovulation timing before I heard that I could come in for an appointment.
Stephanie Beall
Columbia

2014 - 2016, Unknown Success
Dr. O'Brien is a very competent doctor. We haven't gotten the results we have hoped for, but we're still in it. I'm still waiting on a call back for follow up treatment. I'm hoping for a new strategy or new answers....They [the staff at Shady Grove] are compassionate, but I still don't feel like I get all the answers I want. I'd like more explanation as to why they did things and how to strategize a new protocol for better results. Perhaps more testing, etc....My nurse is typical. Not overly compassionate, but helpful enough. I don't think she goes above and beyond, to her I think it's a job, but she is competent.
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your research and ask questions.
She is very kind and does call to discuss the results of each procedure. Some calls are immediate and other times waiting for a call back can take time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shawn Thompson)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are compassionate, but I still don't feel like I get all the answers I want. I'd like more explanation as to why they did things and how to strategize a new protocol for better results. Perhaps more testing, etc.

2016, Unknown Success
I only saw her [Dr. Moon] twice. From there the communication was with her nurse coordinator. I feel like a number. She's not warm or welcoming...You will never see or talk to her other than the initial consult and when planning treatment...
Spent under $1k for two rounds of Timed Intercourse [at Shady Grove - DC K St], 2 doctor consults, HSG, Semen Analysis, and bloodwork...
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I only saw her twice. From there the communication was with her nurse coordinator. I feel like a number. She's not warm or welcoming.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
Spent under $1k for two rounds of Timed Intercourse, 2 doctor consults, HSG, Semen Analysis, and bloodwork.

2015, Successful
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies...My first nurse (can't remember her name) answered my endless questions (and I had a lot). She was always kind and helpful, returning calls immediately. Penny was my DE nurse. She was kind of an "all business" lady and by that time, I did not need as much emotional support.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Not sure this site will let me review the other two docs, who I was NOT happy with. But he was my last stop--I thought I would get a chance to even try with my own eggs, but I wasn't. Even with my DOR status, I had gotten pregnant 3 times on my own. I think he knew that despite being at the end of my emotional rope, that I really wanted to use my OEs despite my intense fear of another MC. He said, "he didn't want to put me through all of that" and that DE "was my best chance of a successful pregnancy." I don't know what could have happened, but we went with DE and our first is due in 2 weeks. Got lucky on shot #1. I will say for the very expensive money, if it doesn't work, you get it ALL back through their guarrantee program (6 shots). Dr. Mottla did genuinely care about me, I believe. I did not care for the other doctor and left the clinic the first time because of his demeanor.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm not sure there is anything I would tell you about him specifically, only that the fertility road is exhausting, emotional, expensive, and really makes you question everything as a person and what kind of information you can trust. I think Dr. Mottla is completely aware of all this. In the end, I had to trust him. Had to trust somebody.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla was the 3rd doc I saw. 2nd at Shady Grove. I did not like Dr. McKeeby (my first doc) and transferred up to Johns Hopkins. I did feel like a number there and had no real personal interaction. Dr. Mottla was my last stop and although I didn't like what I heard (and still don't totally believe the actual source of my issue was DOR), I am almost due with my first baby, through the use of DE and couldn't be happier.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Because he would not let me use my own eggs (my AMH was less than 0.01, despite getting pregnant multiple times on my own), none of the treatments I had researched were used. My DE treatment was pretty basic with estrogen/progesterone shots after my cycle had lined up with the donor's. At Johns Hopkins, we were doing natural, medicated cycles using Femara and then the ovidril trigger shot. Only 2 of my 4 cycles cooperated. They had terrible communication up there and I was always confused by what they were telling me. They would have treated me with my OE, but by then the 2 hour round trip ride and the complete lack of communication had thoroughly exhausted me. Mottla felt that while I could have a miracle baby, that any egg my body produced would be far superior to any eggs they could get from me artificially.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Multiple, but ended with Penny)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove: They always knew my name when I walked in. They were as prompt as they could be with the many appts they had. By the time I got to DE, I felt pretty special--maybe bc they knew I had coughed up $30k! I love the blood draw ladies. Johns Hopkins: So impersonal, not nice office, never saw the same doc twice. Much more cold hospital setting. JH is great if you have a rare illness (which I had and my care was great), but for fertility stuff, a specialized clinic is better.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance would have paid for 3 rounds of IVF with my own egg. But they wouldn't do it :( I used their most popular program: the 1:3 donor egg match (1 donor to three recipients). $30k for 6 cycles or all of your money back. We did get lucky on try #1.
Gilbert Mottla

2015, Successful
I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well... I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently... thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant.
Call backs [at Shady Grove] were generally very late. It was nerve-wracking, because often you wouldn't get a call back until after phone lines closed - which made it difficult if you didn't get one to get ahold of someone...Nurses were hit or miss. Staff as a whole was a bit hit or miss, though more good than bad. Appreciated the splitting of blood draws from general nurses (keeping it with people who knew what they were doing). I'd describe things as generally efficient, and well run, on the nursing side.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm a fan - I imagine success has something to do with it, but the overall experience was good. I knew by the time I got to Dr. Moon that I was going to struggle conceiving, and that it wasn't for any identifiable reason. That helped temper my expectations I think. I thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant. I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently.
Shady Grove is a bit of a factory, yes, but I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Standard antagonist protocol - BCP followed by FSH, menopur and then cetrotide I think. Attempting to keep growth slow but steady, and keep all follicles in range. Aiming for fewer high quality follicles (as someone who could produce a fair number, but of poor quality). Standard trigger criteria, but we held off a day or two based on history, so things were slightly larger. On my FET, it was medicated, so BCP and then something (can't recall).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the strength is in the solid lab, significant experience and range of doctors to choose from. They do seem to use standard protocols, but that was fine. I'm not crazy about the BCP use, but it's a must - there's not a lot of flexibility in that area. I was able to get some concessions on some policies by getting Dr. Moon on board, and it was frustrating to have to do so. The standard weekend hours and multiple locations was good - no worrying about timing there. They generally had a range of appointments available, though weekends could be hit or miss. Some things were very standardized which generally helped it run smoothly. But there were times things backed up, with waits of 45+ minutes. The financial people may have changed in the past 2 years, but that was the worst/most maddening part. It may be less so if you're not using insurance, but I had to do a significant amount of leg work on running down pre-authorizations and getting statuses and poking and prodding. It was incredibly frustrating, and I would say that's the part that is most off putting about the clinic.
Insurance covered in large part, so I don't recall.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Call backs were generally very late. It was nerve-wracking, because often you wouldn't get a call back until after phone lines closed - which made it difficult if you didn't get one to get ahold of someone. I only failed to get a call back once, on a weekend - but I was able to get the information I needed via the answering service process. But there were days it was late enough I was wondering whether I'd been missed.
2012 - 2015, Successful
When I met with Nair, she always spoke honestly but kindly. She clearly had reviewed my records before our meetings so we didn't need to explain things again. She always called after a failed cycle and was incredibly kind after a chemical pregnancy/missed carriage. She also left surgery to come down for our first ultrasound after our positive pregnancy test.
My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful... Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting...
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I didn't find anything at fault with Nair. She always made sure we had appropriate information and we never left the office without either speaking with a financial person or nurse to answer any additional questions.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
None.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did 3 IUI's even though they didn't work. It was frustrating but our insurance required it. The clinic was participating in a medical study that required less injections but we did not participate, though the early results seemed promising.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather Glass)
I had several primary nurses during my tenure at Shady Grove; some were better than others. I had one, who is no longer there, who did not like to communicate over email. Giving my busy schedule, email was much better than phone. My suggestion would be to establish which method you prefered communication when first meeting with your nurse coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting; this is all very normal, well managed, and well understood.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
My IUI and egg retrieval were covered by insurance. My FET's were not. Shady Grove has self-pay costs. Each FET was approximately $4000 plus cost of medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
1 - My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful. 2 - There was an active shooter near a clinic on a day I was scheduled for blood work and ultrasound. This resulted in the clinic closing. No information was provided to patients; the voicemail at the clinic was not even updated. I was not informed of what I needed to do until noon that day, which is after the clinics stop monitoring. I spoke to someone at the head office about lack of emergency preparedness and was not provided a satisfactory answer. For example, all retrievals and transfers are done in the Rockville office and I asked for plans if that office is closed. The response was simply, " we would never close that office."
Anitha Nair
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Barbara Osborn] is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done...Ask whatever questions you have. It's difficult to get a hold of her and most other doctors at most clinics by phone. When they do call back, it could be when you're in a meeting or otherwise unavailable. Not many doctors will give out their direct phone number.
I rate the Nursing staff low. I rate dr Osborn high because of her bedside manner and interest in answering questions. I rate the administrative staff very low. Some are nasty. Most are unfriendly. You have to advocate for what you want/need and sometimes demand it from the administrative staff. In my case, I had to hold Shady Grove accountable for their responsibility in a contract and they were trying not to do it.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She has a good bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on heavy doses to build up my uterine lining. I was on injectible lovenox as a blood thinner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pennye Russell)
In general, most nurses at shady grove were pressed for time, didn't like to answer questions, were not authorized to answer certain questions and weren't compassionate in my opinion.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
About $50,000
Describe Barbara Osborn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
One problem I had with shady grove is that they would only do eSet and frowned upon double embryo transfers. I'm not sure if I would have been successful by doing double transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On several occasions, it was up to me to call in you find out test results.
Barbara Osborn
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
We thought she [Dr. O'Brien] was a very compassionate and knowledgeable doctor.... I guess my feelings are mixed. She was a wonderful person and doctor, but I also feel like she was trying to get us to spend the most amount of money.... She said "since we could get pregnant" she thought the 3 IUIS should work. If not, she would suggest IVF. After the IUIS failed she basically said all of our numbers were excellent and we should have gotten pregnant. Therefore our "chemicals do not mix" so we should do IVF with ICI.
They [Shady Grove Fertility] have a lot of people coming in and out of there. They make things as quick and painless as possible. It is great to be able to do all of the procedures in the same building with the same people. I think they could make you feel like less of a dollar sign, if anything.... We had two or three different nurses. They kept quitting, so it was hard to keep tract. The one I remember, I believe her name was Effie was very sweet and helpful.
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
We thought she was a very compassionate and knowledgeable doctor. We did not know at the time of our first appointment that we were actually already pregnant. Unfortunately that pregnancy ended in a partial mole. I think she then based her recommendations on what most people do. I guess my feelings are mixed. She was a wonderful person and doctor, but I also feel like she was trying to get us to spend the most amount of money. I am sure if we ended up with a baby my story would be different though.
Take everything with a grain of salt and do your own research to be sure you are on the same page.
She did a good job making us feel "human" at the time. Looking back, I feel like we were more of a number though. I feel like it is kind of scripted. They just want to make money, so the pick the most expensive option.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a lot of people coming in and out of there. They make things as quick and painless as possible. It is great to be able to do all of the procedures in the same building with the same people. I think they could make you feel like less of a dollar sign, if anything.
I know the IUIS cost $4000 as we had to get a loan. I believe our insurance covered most of the pre testing. Clomid and other medications ran about $500.
2013 - 2015, Successful
He [Dr. Frank Chang] was amazing. Very thorough and pleasant. Listens to me and asked for my opinion and thoughts. Treated me with respect and remembered me when I went back to him for my 3rd child. He worked with me to ensure that I would have the best success and respected my wishes even when he didn’t necessarily agree and never made me feel like I didn’t know what I was talking about. He also gave me a lot of professional courtesy bc I work in the healthcare field.
There was a lot of turnaround with nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility- Rockville] They were all very competent, but each time I went back for another IUI, it was a different nurse. I didn’t really care though bc I had a plan set with a Dr Chang and that’s all that mattered. The nurses just followed our plan and it worked out great...Very busy office...Sometimes I feel like it’s jist all business, but ultimately I got what I wanted from them and that’s all that mattered. The office staff, nursing staff and medical staff made me feel that way. But never Dr. Chang.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was amazing. Very thorough and pleasant. Listens to me and asked for my opinion and thoughts. Treated me with respect and remembered me when I went back to him for my 3rd child. He worked with me to ensure that I would have the best success and respected my wishes even when he didn’t necessarily agree and never made me feel like I didn’t know what I was talking about. He also gave me a lot of professional courtesy bc I work in the healthcare field.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be direct, speak your mind. Listen to him as well. He knows what he’s doing and he would never intentionally steer you the wrong way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
He listens to me and asked for my opinion and respected my wishes/thoughts on matters. He trusted that I knew what was best for me.
Describe the protocols Frank Chang used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Straight forward IUI using Follistism to grow my follicles to approx. 20-22mm. I get the best results once my follicles are nice and big. My other doctor didn’t thing i should wait that long for my follicles to grow and therefore i had unsuccessful IUIs before i had my successful ones. Ovidrel was used to trigger my eggs. After finding which protocol worked for me, we never steered from it and it resulted in 2 more successful pregnancies that led to 2 more healthy babies for me and my husband.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
There was a lot of turnaround with nursing staff. They were all very competent, but each time I went back for another IUI, it was a different nurse. I didn’t really care though bc I had a plan set with a Dr Chang and that’s all that mattered. The nurses just followed our plan and it worked out great.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Very busy office. But it’s most convenient for me. It’s the closest location to where I live. Sometimes I feel like it’s jist all business, but ultimately I got what I wanted from them and that’s all that mattered. The office staff, nursing staff and medical staff made me feel that way. But never Dr. Chang.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility.
100% covered by I Durante. Only paid co-pays.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Just office staff not relating important messages to my first doctor. Dr. Esposito in the Frederick, MD office was very difficult and they wouldn’t believe me when I told them my period had started. They insisted that it couldn’t have started already. I had to call the office manager to get them to schedule a day 3 appt. And if I didn’t do that I wouldn’t have gotten pregnant with my daughter. That’s why I switched doctors midway through my IUI treatment. Dr. Esposito didn’t listen to me, didn’t respect me and treated me like I was stupid. She talked down to me even though I told her I was a nurse and I was very familiar with medical jargon and understood procedural methods.
Frank Chang

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Widra was frank and straightforward while also being patient and understanding. He cited studies and had ample evidence to support the decisions we made. We felt well cared for working with him. He was clear and concise which appealed to me and my husband...Dr. Widra was clear and patient with us. He was very compassionate when your first pregnancy, after an IUI, ended in a missed AB...
While they[Shday Grove - DC K St] see a lot of patients, I found them still attentive to me needs. I had a pretty straightforward case however, so that might have helped...We did a two-for-a-discount cycle, though we didn't end up needing the second cycle. We received some financial aid, I think the total without medication for this was $15,000...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions when you need to.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics here.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristal)
She was responsive and kind.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
While they see a lot of patients, I found them still attentive to me needs. I had a pretty straightforward case however, so that might have helped.
I was able to schedule for a general time, and was usually seen reasonable close to that scheduled time. If running late and I needed to get to an appointment elsewhere, they were able to accommodate my needs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.

2015, Successful
He [Dr. McClamrock] was very blunt and provided little explanation for things that went wrong. He would say, “it was a fluke”. .. he needs work in bedside manner...he was extremely blunt when it came to explanation of procedures and especially set backs. I did feel that he was extremely knowledgeable and would return to him again...He urged us to transfer only 1 embryo....I stimulated my ovaries on follistim and menopur. I used a shot to stop ovulation and a HCG trigger shot.
Shady Grove is a very large clinic. That comes with positives and negatives. They have lots of knowledge behind them. They also can make you feel like one in about 1000. Although this can be daunting, I feel the overall success of the clinic far outweighs the negativity of it being such a large facility....I loved my nurse. She was extremely compassionate. I felt she was a good offset to the bluntness of the doctor. I cried when I “graduated” the clinic.
How was your experience with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
As I said before, he was extremely blunt when it came to explanation of procedures and especially set backs. I did feel that he was extremely knowledgeable and would return to him again. Shady Grove is a huge clinic, so I think that had something to do with the feelings I had with the clinic being so large.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s blunt. Don’t take it personal. He knows his stuff, so trust him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was very blunt and provided little explanation for things that went wrong. He would say, “it was a fluke”. I am forever grateful to him because he helped us make our son, but he needs work in bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Howard McClamrock used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pricilla )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility.
My ivf cycles were covered under insurance.
Describe Howard McClamrock's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He urged us to transfer only 1 embryo.
Howard McClamrock
Baltimore
2015, Unsuccessful
he [Dr. Bromer] took the time to talk to us and we were hopeful that IVF would work....He was a good doctor but never took into account that I have crohns disease and they can impact implantation and I feel like things should have been different. I found out from a friend that crohns can cause complications and when I asked him he said it can. They had all my records...when we started injectibles they had to be adjusted many time because I was not responding to the meds like they wanted me to.
I wish they [Shady Grove - Hagerstown] would have taken into account that I had crohns disease and the possibility that it could impact implantation. Also I feel that their prices are high and if it wasn't for my dad we would have never been able to do IVF....I loved alyssa she was great to deal with and always answered my questions and emails in a timely manner....[Cost Of Treatment] it ended up being like $12,000...
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
hes a good doctor
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
he took the time to talk to us and we were hopeful that IVF would work.
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
when we started injectibles they had to be adjusted many time because I was not responding to the meds like they wanted me to. I ran out of meds and I had to drive to philly to pick up more meds. IVF is very hard on your body and emotions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alyssa)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I wish they would have taken into account that I had crohns disease and the possibility that it could impact implantation. Also I feel that their prices are high and if it wasn't for my dad we would have never been able to do IVF.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
it ended up being like $12,000
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
we transferred 2 and I was happy with that.
Hagerstown
2015, Successful
She [Dr. Shruti Malik] was the third doctor that we worked with on my infertility issues. Unlike the first two who immediately said that I was unable to conceive naturally and recommended IVFs instead of IUI. Dr. Malik listened to us and agreed to try a round of IUI after it was determined that we would not qualify for the clinic’s IVF package plan.... She was very honest with us about my treatment and she was willing to work with us in deciding which approaches to use.
Shady Grove Fertility is a wonderful clinic. They do everything there so it means that you don’t have to drive all over the place for testing, monitoring, and procedure. I highly recommend this clinic....They [the nursing staff] were wonderful, especially with showing us to how to do the shots.... We use fertility drugs (bravelle and hsg trigger shot).
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was the third doctor that we worked with on my infertility issues. Unlike the first two who immediately said that I was unable to conceive naturally and recommended IVFs instead of IUI. Dr. Malik listened to us and agreed to try a round of IUI after it was determined that we would not qualify for the clinic’s IVF package plan.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be a strong advocate for what is the best for you. Dr. Malik or the clinic may not agree with the initial request but she is always willing to work with the patient’s request.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Shruti Malik used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We use fertility drugs (bravelle and hsg trigger shot).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Team of three nurses )
They were wonderful, especially with showing us to how to do the shots.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility.
Approximately $1,000
Describe Shruti Malik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shruti Malik
Fair Oaks

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Widra] is defensive and not open to listening to his patients. The whole time I had to push him to try something different. One cycle I called him a couple of times to let him know I felt the cycle was not going well, and he told me he thought it was going fine. I ended up with only one embryo. The next cycle he increased my meds I got four embryos. If he would have listened during the first cycle then I may not have need a second cycle.
Shady Grove has very convenient offices and flexible hours, which makes it convenient for pursuing fertility. However I think they could do more to customize for patients over 35 by having protocols set up for these patients....You always had to go through a nurse. And I was always having to suggest what should be done next. I should not have to manage the doctor. He should be up to date on research.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is defensive and not open to listening to his patients. The whole time I had to push him to try something different. One cycle I called him a couple of times to let him know I felt the cycle was not going well, and he told me he thought it was going fine. I ended up with only one embryo. The next cycle he increased my meds I got four embryos. If he would have listened during the first cycle then I may not have need a second cycle.
Do not expect him to be proactive.
IVF and frozen eggs and genetic testing of embryos. He insisted on doing frozen cycles until I pushed him into freezing the eggs and genetic testing of embryos. I did not want to continually go through miscarriages, and I had one previously. Not sure why he would have ever suggested fresh IVF cycle for anyone over 40.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
Carrie was a wonderful nurse, but Eric Widra would have her call me instead of talking to me himself. He was reactive and uncomfortable approaching patients.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is fairly efficient with appointments and flexible. They have improved their scheduling and monitoring hours by opening up additional clinics to help with traffic.
All costs at shady grove are fairly uniform across.

2014, Unsuccessful
I am still annoyed that I wasn't allowed to try even 1 cycle with my own eggs--maybe because people with DOR don't typically get pregnant as easily as I did...Dr. McKeeby could only say "well, something else must have gone wrong" and looked at my #s and just said, "you need to do donor egg." There was no further discussion about any other possible solution. I just felt like they were trying to sell me something that I didn't want and left for a 2nd opinion at another clinic.
If you don't like him [Dr Jeffrey McKeeby] , just move on to Mottla. It was night and day...SG is a very organized clinic, compared to the other one I went to. It's pretty, clean, relaxing, maybe because it is a for-profit organization. I felt known and the people were very friendly....Jackie was my first nurse at SG. I almost didn't want to change docs bc I was so attached to her.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had a co-worker who had a rare uterine condition and he treated her for the 3 cycles that both of our insurances would have paid for. She really liked him and just described him as being "dorky". At a donor recipient support group, I also met another woman who also left SG because of McKeeby... so maybe he works for some people, but as I said, I ultimately left for a 2nd opinion at Johns Hopkins bc of this doctor. It took 4-5 months to see that doc and my numbers got way worse during that time period. I am still annoyed that I wasn't allowed to try even 1 cycle with my own eggs--maybe because people with DOR don't typically get pregnant as easily as I did.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you don't like him, just move on to Mottla. It was night and day. Also, the fertility world is filled with all sorts of natural remedies that could "possibly work for you". This made me into an obsessed person who was trying to make the perfect egg of my own. That wasn't to be, at least this time around. Even Mottla said that miracle babies do exist, but we needed at least to get a jump start on baby #1, given our ages (now 41 and 45, due in 2 weeks with our DE baby on first cycle).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Miscarriage #3 was my first baby with a heartbeat that we knew of. At 12w, I found out that the chromosomally-normal M had passed away at 10w. Dr. McKeeby could only say "well, something else must have gone wrong" and looked at my #s and just said, "you need to do donor egg." There was no further discussion about any other possible solution. I just felt like they were trying to sell me something that I didn't want and left for a 2nd opinion at another clinic.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey McKeeby used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Never got that far with him. Was so thrown by his only saying to use a DE.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Jackie was my first nurse at SG. I almost didn't want to change docs bc I was so attached to her. She was fantastic at answering calls and all my questions, including about how to improve egg quality. SG is not "alternative" sort of clinic in terms of using/recommending supplements, etc. which may be both good and bad, depending on what sort of person you are.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
Didn't get that far.
Jeffrey McKeeby
2014, Successful
I always felt like he [Dr. David Saffan] was aware of my history and my condition. I also believe after the first resulted negative pregnancy. He knew exactly what to do for my 2nd cycle which resulted in a positive pregnancy and live birth. Most of all, after our initial consultation and testing, he told me "he have a good feeling about me". The was the most positive thing a doctor has ever said to me.
[My nurse at Shady Grove] was very good with following up with my care. Especially with showing me how to administer the injections. She always kept me informed on what was going on during my cycles...I thought they were good with providing cheap option for the prescription drugs. I thought even, though you had to pay out of pocket for the whole cycle (in uninsured, they could have offered to break that up into 2-4 payments). Clinic Nps
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
It was explain in my comments earlier. He was very good in diagnosing my situation and told me he had really good feeling about me. I'm not sure what else to say and I don't want to keep repeating myself but I'm forced to type 200 characters.
Stay positive and hopeful and follow his instructions completely.
I always felt like he was aware of my history and my condition. I also believe after the first resulted negative pregnancy. He knew exactly what to do for my 2nd cycle which resulted in a positive pregnancy and live birth. Most of all, after our initial consultation and testing, he told me "he have a good feeling about me". The was the most positive thing a doctor has ever said to me.
I do remember taking clomid and also doing shots. The 2nd time, I had to do the shots more frequently.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: dont remember)
She was very good with following up with my care. Especially with showing me how to administer the injections. She always kept me informed on what was going on during my cycles.
1600 per cycle, plus the cost of prescription drugs
Describe David Saffan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
no comments. This did not apply to my situation.
2014, Successful
Truthfully, I felt like there were certain things that were 'missed' [by Dr. Katz and Shady Grove Fertility] and felt that if I weren't 100% on top of things I may not have gotten pregnant. In short, I felt details were missed... Whenever I spoke with my doctor I never really felt he recalled who I was or the details of my treatment.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] itself was very busy. Whenever I spoke with my doctor I never really felt he recalled who I was or the details of my treatment.... I liked her [my nurse] as a person but felt attention to detail was lacking tremendously which strongly affected my experience.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm very happy that I was able to conceive with just one round of IUI so this experience jades my perception of him in a positive manner. Truthfully, I felt like there were certain things that were 'missed' and felt that if I weren't 100% on top of things I may not have gotten pregnant. In short, I felt details were missed.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Stay on top of your care and ask for as much clarification as you need. Ask lots of questions and stay on top of your care!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The clinic itself was very busy. Whenever I spoke with my doctor I never really felt he recalled who I was or the details of my treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie)
Very compassionate, however, disorganized and forgetful. I liked her as a person but felt attention to detail was lacking tremendously which strongly affected my experience.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was not told to discontinue my prolactin lowering meds after receiving a positive pregnancy test. I was given wrong information about number of embroyos. My husbands medication linked to male infertility was missed. Many other details were looked over which I can't recall at this time.
Eugene Katz (retired)
Towson

2013 - 2014, Successful
Bromer was great but I rarely saw him. We interacted more with nurses. My assigned nurse, patty, seemed to be indifferent to my treatment. I was not pleased with my interactions with her at all.
I had good interactions with the rest of the nursing staff. Patty was hard to get hold of, barely answered my questions and never seemed interested in me, my husband, or what we were going through.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I liked Dr. Bromer. He put up with my questions and answered them candidly.
He's not a warm and fuzzy guy but knows his stuff.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Patty)
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The main issue was that my nurse was a terrible communicator. On several occasions I had to remind her to send me orders for scripts and procedures. We also had a donor flake out on a cycle. This was mostly the donors fault of course but my nurse was never great and letting us know what was going on.
2013 - 2014, Successful
[Shady Grove] was always available and worked with your schedule. Unfortunately, there were some very long wait times on some days - particularly weekends...She [Dr Kimberly Moon] was honest and professional yet understood the deeply emotional aspects of infertility...She was very patient with us. Walked us through all of our options. Educated us the infertility and the unfortunate and difficult place of being "unexplained."
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was honest and professional yet understood the deeply emotional aspects of infertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
A clinic was always available and worked with your schedule. Unfortunately, there were some very long wait times on some days - particularly weekends.
I had most of the treatments covered by insurance.
2010 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Dr. Levens is a nice doctor and well knowledge but maybe he needs to works in the way how to talk to his patients in certain circumstances.... When I did my IUI with Doctor Chang and I got a positive pregnancy test my husband and I went to the Shady Grove in Rockville... Dr Levens was on charge that morning and when he saw us he looks surprise to see us but not like his patient. When we explain what was the reason of our visit (positive test pregnancy) he said to us very serious “well sometimes the home pregnancy test are false positive so we are going to do blood test to confirm if you are pregnant or not”.
The staff of Annandale [Shady Grove] office were so nice and very knowledge. Easy to make an appointment. They made my first appointment with dr Levens, I think it was the most available at that time. They always call me to reminder my doctor’s appointment. They always welcome to the office and make you feel comfortable. The only problem was the waiting room was a little small (I was there more than 7 years ago) and the area were they taken the blood sample was really small too.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is a nice person but he made a comment that I didn’t like it. When I did my IUI with Doctor Chang and I got a positive pregnancy test my husband and I went to the Shady Grove in Rockville MD to do the blood test. We were so excited and nervous at the same time. Dr Levens was on charge that morning and when he saw us he looks surprise to see us but not like his patient. When we explain what was the reason of our visit (positive test pregnancy) he said to us very serious “well sometimes the home pregnancy test are false positive so we are going to do blood test to confirm if you are pregnant or not”. At that moment we felt really sad and nervous that could be a false positive, but luckily it wasn’t a false positive it was a BFP. I think that comment that Dr Levens made about the false positive (for a couple who were trying for almost 7 years to get pregnant) was a really bad one.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is a nice doctor but I would you recommend dr Chang.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did clomid and IUI. He did the hormones injections in the third or fourth day of my cycle and I have to go almost every day to the office to see is the medicine was working. In the 13 or 14 day of my cycle I did the trigger shot and next day I went to the office for the IUI. Sometimes dr Levens did the IUI other time a different doctor did the IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They were really nice nurses and always answered your questions and calling you back most of the time the same day.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The staff of Annandale office were so nice and very knowledge. Easy to make an appointment. They made my first appointment with dr Levens, I think it was the most available at that time. They always call me to reminder my doctor’s appointment. They always welcome to the office and make you feel comfortable. The only problem was the waiting room was a little small (I was there more than 7 years ago) and the area were they taken the blood sample was really small too.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don’t remember very well but I think it was more than $1500 per treatment.
Eric Levens