6.9

Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

[Dr. Jason Bromer] he focused on hearing what our goals were in this and his opinions on those goals. He communicated well with us, but spoke in a lot of medical terms which made it difficult for my husband to understand (not so much me since I am a nurse), but I felt this is something that might cause confusion with other patients. Throughout the IUI procedures, we saw him 1 time when he stopped in during an ultrasound and he discussed the plan of care for that cycled IUI. Overall, he was very genuine, kind hearted, and you could tell he liked what he did as a profession.
[Shady Grove Fertility] Strengths would be the nursing team. They all treat the patients so personal and are compassionate. Most of them have gone through this themselves and understand the emotions. Weaknesses are of the financial team. Multiple times my husband and I were charged double for things such as copays that we paid in the office. Look at your bill and take note to things before you pay! They are also so difficult to get in touch with if you do have questions!
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer met up with my husband and I for both our initial consult to the office and again later when we wanted more information regarding IVF after our IUIs had failed. Both times, he focused on hearing what our goals were in this and his opinions on those goals. He communicated well with us, but spoke in a lot of medical terms which made it difficult for my husband to understand (not so much me since I am a nurse), but I felt this is something that might cause confusion with other patients. Throughout the IUI procedures, we saw him 1 time when he stopped in during an ultrasound and he discussed the plan of care for that cycled IUI. Overall, he was very genuine, kind hearted, and you could tell he liked what he did as a profession.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take a tablet/paper/pen to your appointments when discussing plans with him. He uses a lot of larger/medical terms that some/most people would not understand unless in the medical field. My husband found difficulty in understanding some things due to this. Also, if you are not sure of something or agree with a plan he may have projected, please speak up because he was so willing to adjust to our needs and wants in this process!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
The nurses were very personal and caring when calling and keeping me up to date on my cycle and plan of care. The clinic was usually busy most days but everyone made me and my husband feel welcome and important.
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
During each IUI, I had baseline ultrasound/bloodwork done on day 3 of period. Days 3-7, I took clomid while being monitored every 2-3 days during. When my follicles were at optimal size, I then took a trigger injection and the next day was scheduled for my IUI procedure. Both IUI cycles resulted in proper stimulation of my follicles where one cycled actually ended up having such a large number of good sized follicles that they spoke about canceling that cycle IUI. Both IUI cycles resulted in negative beta tests.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Julie)
Julie was our primary nurse during our cycles and I absolutely couldn't have recommended anyone more! She went above and beyond and was there every time I needed an update or just had a question needing answered. When I had poor result in my HSG and needed set up for a saline sonogram unexpectedly the next day, she helped to get me scheduled in asap so that I did not have to wait a whole cycle to have this done. She was outstanding!!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each IUI cycle costed near $3,000. Medications were about $200-$300. When consulted for IVF, base price was around $15,000 with medications costing from $2,900-$4,000.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
During a consult to discuss IVF in the future, we discussed the importance in only transferring a single embryo. It was explained to us that the risks of multiples can be dangerous and that it is not recommended to transfer more than one embryo.
Hagerstown

Dr. Reh was honest in her assessments, if not a little conservative in her estimates of our chances of conceiving. She seemed up to date on the latest literature. She answered all of our questions. She made adjustments to my treatment as we went in response to how I was progressing. Overall, I was very pleased with my experience...
The [SGF] clinic was nice and clean. Street parking was generally available. Exam rooms were comfortable. I didn't usually have to wait much longer than my appointment time. They don't do some of the procedures at the Arlington location so I had to go to Fairfax for extraction and transfer, but weekday appointments were a breeze in Arlington...My only complaint was that they did not use the Patient Portal to the fullest extent
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh was not especially warm, but she was extremely knowledgeable and competent.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh was very matter of fact. She was not especially warm, but she was very knowledgeable. I felt confident in her abilities.
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Gonal-F (225 IUs) and Menopur (75 IUs) evenings; Cetrotide in the mornings; Lupron trigger; 27 eggs released; 21 mature eggs; 12 embryos; 7 day-5 or day-6 blastocysts; 2 chromosomally normal blastocytsts; 1 male child
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes, but don't remember)
The staff called when they said the would, appointments were easy to make, and most documents were available on the patient portal. My only complaint was that they did not use the Patient Portal to the fullest extent. For example, they sent treatment documents, outcome documents, and billing information all through the email option. They never posted information to the different links (billing, test results, etc.).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was nice and clean. Street parking was generally available. Exam rooms were comfortable. I didn't usually have to wait much longer than my appointment time. They don't do some of the procedures at the Arlington location so I had to go to Fairfax for extraction and transfer, but weekday appointments were a breeze in Arlington.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
We did the shared risk program (guaranteed live birth or most of the fee is refunded). I believe that was $28,500 (due to my age). Meds on top of that for one cycle were ~$4,000.
Describe Andrea Reh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Reh preferred single embryo transfer and we agreed
Andrea Reh
Arlington

Embryo Freezing
Things I like about Dr. Devine: she always takes the time to talk to you extensively about results (good and bad) and about the prognosis. She is really, really good at setting expectations (low ones in my situation). She is the first doctor who said I might need a gestational carrier...Dr. Devine is not warm and fuzzy, as noted above. But she is really really good at setting expectations and I appreciate that....you end up seeing whoever is there that day so I didn't always see Dr. Devine. She will call you to follow up
Shady Grove is kind of run like a factory, but I think there are totally upsides to that depending on what you are being treated for...I think the doctors, nurses, and other staff there really know what they are doing and you get great care overall. Everything is convenient and efficient. However, if you want your hand held by a specific doctor, this is not the place to go....I would say that the nurses are highly variable. ...Shady Grove is really good about preparing you for the costs of things in general.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is not warm and fuzzy, as noted above. But she is really really good at setting expectations and I appreciate that. I went to her to preserve my fertility because I had a difficult time getting and being pregnant with my first child. That evolved into me actually trying to get pregnant with a second child - this has not happened yet and we've moved onto getting a gestational carrier and will be working with Shady Grove to do this. We decided it would be a good idea to create embryos right away after having our first child (in part because my insurance actually covered it and I had the time). I got amazing results from the one IVF cycle that I did at Shady Grove: 28 eggs retrieved, 24 were mature, 21 fertilized, 16 made it to day 5 embryos and were frozen, and 8 were genetically normal (2 of the 16 were re-biopsed because they didn't get conclusive results and one was normal and the other was not). That was awesome. However, during the IVF cycle, we discovered that I had "Asherman's Syndrome" still or again - I had it before my first child was born but thought it was treated. It either wasn't totally treated or it recurred from a c-section. We then discovered that even when the scars sticking the sides of the uterus were cleared I still seem to have an abnormally thin lining that tends to collect fluid during treatments that raise my estrogen level - there seems to be a trade-off between thickening the lining and increasing the fluid. Neither of these things is good for implantation. Ugh. I've now had 3 more hysteroscopies since doing IVF (I had 3 prior to having my first child)and done 2 questionable transfers of genetically normal embryos to suboptimal lining conditions at Shady Grove (under the theory that I got pregnant before with a very thin lining - 4mm). My lining does not make it out of the 4mm range. We've now called it quits on the transfers and we are officially moving onto a gestational carrier, as noted above. Dr. Devine actually thought I should go straight to a GC the first time I met with her based on the trauma of my first pregnancy (di-tri triplets, multi-fetal pregnancy reduction, debilitating nausea, intrauterine growth restriction, c-section at 36 weeks and 3 pound 11 ounce baby). But I insisted on trying again to get pregnant. I am calling it quits because it's been 4 years of infertility taking over my life, more than 5 different fertility doctors (not to mention the other ob/gyns and MFMs involved), 2 miscarriages, 2 partial ovarian torsions, 1 botched D&C, 1 multi-fetal pregnancy reduction, 1 c-section, 1 amazing baby with scary terrible pregnancy, 6 hysteroscopies, 2 unsuccessful frozen embryo transfers, and countless random doctors and nurses telling me that my uterus doesn't look good on ultrasound. I can honestly say that the least stressful part of this whole experience was actually my IVF cycle at Shady Grove. That was a total nothing. Worked out great. Can't ask for better results.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you want someone warm and fuzzy, I would not go to Dr. Devine. If you want someone who will be straight with you, Dr. Devine is amazing. I must tell you that because of how Shady Grove works, you end up seeing whoever is there that day so I didn't always see Dr. Devine. She will call you to follow up but sometimes it's not at a convenient time for you so you end up relying on what other doctors and nurses are saying. This is not a problem with Dr. Devine; this is more just about how the Shady Grove practice works. Everything is high quality, but you don't get your hand held by one person. You have A LOT of access to your nurse, but not as much access to your doctor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
It is so hard to review doctors when you are still in the process of being treated by them and don't know what will result! Things I like about Dr. Devine: she always takes the time to talk to you extensively about results (good and bad) and about the prognosis. She is really, really good at setting expectations (low ones in my situation). She is the first doctor who said I might need a gestational carrier and I was actually able to hear that. HOWEVER, Shady Grove is kind of run like a factory, but I think there are totally upsides to that depending on what you are being treated for. So I do sometimes feel like a number there. It's not a warm and fuzzy place. But I'm in a spot with my fertility issues where I don't really need warm and fuzzy right now. I just need the care to be good and I do think Shady Grove has an excellent lab. One thing to watch for is that you have a ton of access to nurses and other ancillary staff at Shady Grove but it can be hard to schedule time to actually talk to your doctor. On the other hand, I don't really need to talk to my doctor all of the time now anyway. I am not having any medical emergencies, etc. Mixed feelings. But yes, when I talk to Dr. Devine, she treats me very much like a human.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I actually don't remember the specifics of the drugs I took for my one IVF cycle with Dr. Devine. She was concerned about over-stimulating me (I have PCOS and am very responsive to fertility drugs and have had partial ovarian torsion twice). She managed to maximize the number of mature eggs while not over-stimulating me which was great. The rationale for doing IVF was to preserve my fertility since I was 36, my insurance covered it, and I had a hard time conceiving my first child due to Asherman's Syndrome. It's now totally awesome that we have the embryos because we are pursuing a gestational carrier. Okay, here's the complicated thing that happened while I saw Dr. Devine: I wanted to get a hysteroscopy from my old doctor in San Francisco because he had already performed 2 hysteroscopies. I went to him in December of 2016. On hysteroscopy, he thought my uterus looked pretty good and put me on an estrogen therapy protocol. Every single time I went in to have my lining checked at Shady Grove during the estrogen therapy protocol, the lining was still really thin and my California doctor thought I should keep taking the estrogen. Dr. Devine didn't think the estrogen therapy was working. I went with the California doctor's advice because he had helped me in the past and I had had a successful pregnancy. Dr. Devine might be right that it wasn't working. I don't really know. Anyway, I did the estrogen therapy for 3 months. Then I did two unsuccessful frozen embryo transfers. Both cycles were really confusing because my lining didn't look great (still thin and fluid-filled), I was in the process of moving to New York City and was doing outside monitoring and seeing random clinicians for the measurements/assessments of my uterine lining. I would take a picture on my phone of the image of my uterus and send it to Dr. Devine's nurse because outside monitoring does not actually send the images (just a written report). I don't even know what to say about that experience. Outside monitoring is just a really really terrible experience if you have a uterine lining problem. It was terrible but not because of anything Dr. Devine did. She was very clear about the likelihood of success with these transfers not being great (as mentioned above, she is very good about setting expectations - and in my case, setting them low). This all prompted me to actually get another doctor in New York City. This New York doctor partnered really well with Dr. Devine and that was great. They knew, liked, and respected each other and I felt like I was in much better hands once that occurred. I really wish someone at Shady Grove had encouraged me to actually see a doctor in New York sooner (and not just do outside monitoring). I only got another doctor because I took the initiative. The nurse at Shady Grove made it seem like it was no big deal to do outside monitoring and let me tell you it really really was for me. It was expensive, time-consuming, and frustrating.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I would say that the nurses are highly variable. I had a few nurses who were absolutely amazing (Sheila Ormond, most notably). They are so responsive and compassionate and because of how the practice is run you end up interacting with them a lot and they really know and understand your situation. However, it's uneven - I randomly had a nurse for a few weeks during a time when I was doing outside monitoring who was unresponsive and had no idea what was going on with my case. She got re-assigned (perhaps after I complained, though I'm not sure). I now have a gestational carrier coordinator who seems great. But yeah, I would say it's variable. The nice thing about a "factory" place is that because of the sheer volume of nurses, you can probably complain and get re-assigned easily to someone really good.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I'm repeating myself. Shady Grove is a "factory" and there are pluses and minuses to this. I think the doctors, nurses, and other staff there really know what they are doing and you get great care overall. Everything is convenient and efficient. However, if you want your hand held by a specific doctor, this is not the place to go. I am happy with Shady Grove because I did a successful cycle of IVF there and I feel like they have adapted well to my evolving situation (moving to New York, involving another doctor, moving onto a gestational carrier).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
They weren't too bad. My insurance actually covered a round of IVF so that was minimal cost. We also had a physician discount of 20% (my husband is a physician) on other procedures. The thing that was really expensive was actually the outside monitoring that I did in New York City. So be prepared for that. Shady Grove is really good about preparing you for the costs of things in general. But I was not prepared for the cost of outside monitoring.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Devine is a huge advocate of eSET. I'm sure there are specific situations where she would be okay with a multiple embryo transfer. But not for me!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
A couple of issues - because you are always seeing different nurses and doctors, sometimes they don't know the whole history and things get lost in translation. My situation is legitimately confusing so I'm not blaming anyone. However, I had a saline ultrasound test where the doctor (not Dr. Devine) flipped what side of my uterus was collapsed and this mattered because it made me feel like I now had scarring on the opposite side. We figured out that it was a mix up. Also, when I had a random nurse for a few weeks who I did not like, I found her to be unresponsive so it was harder to do things like get prescriptions sorted out.
Kate Devine

2015 - 2018, Successful
Dr. Bromer is a consummate professional. He is knowledgeable kind and truly gives of himself to his patients. In treating you he leaves no stone unturned and no question unasked. He is patient focused and tries to offer solutions that are both medically and financially feasible.... He never tired in answering my questions and even provided me with his cellular phone and email so that I could be in touch with him as question arose.
[Shady Grove ] Ease of scheduling is awesome. 24 hour service is an immeasurable benefit to patients who work odd hours. Kind, knowledgeable and caring staff who go above and beyond make the difficult experience of infertility easier to bear...Allison is more like an old girlfriend that nurse. She was/ is amazing. She was my nurse for both the IUI and the IVF and I could not have hand picked a better nurse/ care coordinator.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer is a consummate professional. He is knowledgeable kind and truly gives of himself to his patients. In treating you he leaves no stone unturned and no question unasked. He is patient focused and tries to offer solutions that are both medically and financially feasible. Because he is so thorough , and knowledgeable about the medical and insurance side of things you immediately want to trust. As a patient it was easy to comply with his prescribed course of treatment because you feel like you are a partner in your care and not just patient.
Don't ever tire of treating people with the care and kindness that you do. Infertility is a scary and lonely experience and while we want your guidance and the hard truths we appreciate your taking the time to provide guidance in a way that considers the patient perspective and input and while the truth is sometimes hard to take it easier to bear when the practitioners approach is informed kind and straight forward. In short keep doing what you do!
Dr. Bromer is Awesome! He made me feel so at ease with the process of IVF. He explained the very technical aspects of IVF in the most easy to understand terms. He never tired in answering my questions and even provided me with his cellular phone and email so that I could be in touch with him as question arose. We returned to Dr. Bromer in pursuit of our second child, at which time our insurance only provided for IUI. Dr. Bromer did all of the necessary testing and told us what our best options for achieving pregnancy were. Regrettably we learned that we would not be able to conceive via IUI due to my husbands very low count following weight loss surgery. Devastated by the news, my husband and I opted to proceed with two course of IUI. Dr. Bromer was super supportive despite knowing that are chances were low. He allowed us to try to sudafed protocol etc. When that didn't work he researched and took the time to explain some insurance options that we perhaps had not considered. He truly went above and beyond to try and help us find a solution. He even assisted us in completing our application for a Baby Quest grant. I highly recommend him as a practitioner and should I be fortunate enough to have the funds to pursue an additional IVF he is the doctor that I would chose to see.
For our IVF i dont recall specifics- but we stimulated retrieved 4 eggs- 2 fertilized and one failed to thrive by the time of transfer. So we transferred the one. For our most recent IUI we stimulated and had 2 failed cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Allison Catalani )
Allison is more like an old girlfriend that nurse. She was/ is amazing. She was my nurse for both the IUI and the IVF and I could not have hand picked a better nurse/ care coordinator. She answered questions and facilitated my care through the entirety of my treatment at Shady Grove.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered the great majority of our costs- We paid just over $6,000 out of pocket.
Hagerstown

He [Dr. Michael Levy] is so knowledgeable and it was clear from the minute we walked into his office that we were in good hands, medically. I never once wavered in his approach toward our treatment and had full faith in his ability to guide us through these murky waters. Simultaneously, my husband and I felt that he often rushed us off the phone, was not as compassionate as we had imagined he'd be, and was somewhat cavalier about our setbacks when we were visibly struggling.
It [Shady Grove-Rockville] is a pretty well-oiled machine. There are so many women (and men) that attend the clinic daily for a multitude of reasons and all are taken care of. There were a few times when I knew that during morning monitoring I needed to follow a certain protocol, as delineated by my nurse, however it was not written in the system and they were unable to reach her because it was before 9 am. I had to turn around and go back which was an inconvenience but not the end of the world.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is so knowledgeable and it was clear from the minute we walked into his office that we were in good hands, medically. I never once wavered in his approach toward our treatment and had full faith in his ability to guide us through these murky waters. Simultaneously, my husband and I felt that he often rushed us off the phone, was not as compassionate as we had imagined he'd be, and was somewhat cavalier about our setbacks when we were visibly struggling.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Know that you will be in very good medical care and look for other members of his team (or your own team of family and friends) to lean on for emotional support.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
There were times when Dr. Levy called me and helped me understand the process and there were other times where I felt that he could have been talking to anyone and lacked the proper bedside manner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Nicole Astorga)
She was available by phone and email and usually got back to us within 24 hours, on rare occasions, it took longer. She tried her best to explain everything she understood and managed our case as much as she was able. She answered all questions and was always friendly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a pretty well-oiled machine. There are so many women (and men) that attend the clinic daily for a multitude of reasons and all are taken care of. There were a few times when I knew that during morning monitoring I needed to follow a certain protocol, as delineated by my nurse, however it was not written in the system and they were unable to reach her because it was before 9 am. I had to turn around and go back which was an inconvenience but not the end of the world.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have spent around 40K thus far for IVF treatment (not including medication)
Describe Michael Levy's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He told us that since I was under 39/40 he believed in singleton pregnancies as they are less high-risk in nature.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
As mentioned earlier, there was a mistake in the system that did not match my protocol. I knew I had to have certain monitoring done one morning but it was not in the system and they could not reach my nurse to confirm because it was too early in the morning and she was not in the office yet. On my way to work, I called my nurse and she told me I had been correct and to return to the office for further monitoring.
Rockville

Dr. Levens is a great doctor who is to the point, yet in a caring way, and has a background in research. We never felt like he didn't know what he was doing. He called us a few times during the stimulation phase of our cycle to give us updates, or see if we had any questions.... Dr. Levens started us on the protocol we wanted. During the stimualtions he adjusted the dosages as needed. In general SGF does not really do out of the box protocols, they do take a more cookie cutter type approach for protocols.
SGF does use a cookie cutter approach for their protocols. Nothing is outside of the box. SGF is a large clinic, but we didn't really ever feel like we are just a number there. The Fairfax office was great!... There are many options at SGF and they use "global" fees, which is nice because monitoring is included in this. They have a single cycle package, and multi-cycle package, and a shared risk program.... Sarah our IVF coordinator was great.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make a list of questions, discuss any doubts you have with Dr. Levens.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is very personal and caring. If you have any questions about why he is doing something, just ask, he will explain it in detail. SGF sees a lot of patients and yet the care still feels personal.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Levens started us on the protocol we wanted. During the stimualtions he adjusted the dosages as needed. In general SGF does not really do out of the box protocols, they do take a more cookie cutter type approach for protocols. However, this doesn't mean it can't work.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah)
Sarah our IVF coordinator was great. She replies to emails and calls very promptly and gets to the point. The monitoring in the morning was fairly orgainized and quick. There were a few hiccups but nothing major at all.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Well run - a few hiccups but nothing to complain about.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
Fairfax

While the day to day instructions and details are conveyed by our nurse, Dr. Chang is usually available for questions if requested and called us directly if there was significant news (good or bad). During those calls, he always asked how am I doing--all of which made us feel like our case mattered...Dr. Chang is pleasant, knowledgeable, honest and an empathetic listener. He seems fully aware of the physical and financial challenges patients often experience. He is slightly hopeful while remaining candid. He also doesn't try to push us in a direction we don't want.
To be honest, it was a bumpy start with our nurse [at Shady Grove]. She's very kind and compassionate, but having worked with another nurse before, we could see that she was not as thorough in giving instructions. There's been much improvement since those initial hiccups, but we still ask for clarification on occasion...SGF handles monitoring appointments like a well-oiled machine. They do a great job from start to finish.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
To be honest, it was a bumpy start with our nurse. She's very kind and compassionate, but having worked with another nurse before, we could see that she was not as thorough in giving instructions. There's been much improvement since those initial hiccups, but we still ask for clarification on occasion.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove takes great effort to create an environment with compassionate professional care from the front desk folks that greet you at check-in to the medical staff passed in the halls to even how the waiting space is broken up so you don't walk into a massive open waiting room akin to visiting the DMV. When you're having a tough day as many of us do in this process, those things are comforting. We've been with Shady Grove through three IVF cycles and the one area of weakness is the Financial Services team. The Finance team has high turnover, doesn't always lay out costs clearly and at times may take days to respond to your call or message. That said, they are still pleasant to work with. I would suggest doing most communication on finances via email so you have records.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility.
Two cycles of IVF with PGS testing: $21,500 plus the cost of meds which adds an additional $5,000-$7,500 per cycle.
Rockville

Very modern, professional, clean. Has their process down. At the beginning of the process, Shady Grove set you up for a coordinator for financial, embryo, office, nurse- all parties which specialized in their reapected areas to help you to navigate when the process starts....She’ll [nurse] answer questions, has patience, you are able to contact her via email or phone and always returns call/email same day.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am in Virginia Beach. I go to the Rockville, Maryland location for treatments. Dr. Levens was at this location when I first started treatments but has moved. Although my treatments are remote, I still can call him anytime I have any questions. He calls and checks in on me to see if I have any questions. I monitor outside of Shady Grove but when we were pregnant last and was having heavy bleeding. Dr. Levens asked we go to his clinic so he can personally do our sonogram. I am happy with Dr. Levens. He is a great doctor. Too bad he is not in Virginia Beach. Shady Grove is worth the travel.
Do research and trust the process.
Like a human bc show they care. Communicated. Easy to get a hold of my nurse or doctor. Took time with me.
We started with progesterone vaginal inserts and progesterone injections. Then, we moved to progesterone injections and was able to have implantation. As for estrogen, we started we just injections, second cycle we added estrogen vaginal inserts twice a day and now, inserts are up to three times a day. The change to estrogen have increase the uterine lining before implantation and increase of progesterone injections dosage have decrease bleeding after transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian Oseni)
She’ll answer questions, has patience, you are able to contact her via email or phone and always returns call/email same day.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$25,000 donor egg, risk share program.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Doctor was very careful about the amt of embryo we can transfer. He educated us to the possible risk for the baby and mom with multiple embryos. The 1st cycle, we transfer one. The 2nd cycle, two embryos bc we asked. I am glad although he prefers one embryo because we asked for two, he was open to our decision.
Rockville

Dr. Chang was very helpful although he like all the doctors are very busy. He did call me directly several times to explain things (eg when I was having a likely chemical pregnancy) and he helped to give the basic facts of the matter. I appreciated him laying out the options when things weren’t looking good and offering new tests to find out more info...He was also good re: being realistic and managing expectations.
SGF is indeed run like a very efficient machine. It’s not necessarily a great impression at first if you’re looking for warm and personalized attention, but I had pretty big change of heart after my 3rd miscarriage (from a natural pregnancy) and I moved from being lukewarm on IVF treatment to aggressively pursuing it. I did appreciate their efficiency... about $2,500 for PGS testing, and $1400 for acupuncture treatments, approximately $700 for an ERA test (endometrial receptivity biopsy)
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Was appreciative of his calling me directly a few times to discuss treatment options at length. He was also good re: being realistic and managing expectations. On my third FET and last he was really hoping for the best but it turned out not to be and we are not in a whole new IVF cycle, which will be my last.
Describe the protocols Frank Chang used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on Menopur 75 and Gonal F 225 for about 9 days which was a surprisingly short protocol. Triggered on day 10 and retrieval on day 11. I used the HCG trigger instead of the Lupron and there was a specific reason why Dr Chang decided on that but I can’t recall. They retrieved 19 eggs. 10 ended up fertilizing normally but only 3 tested noramally (PGS) without chromosomal abnormalities. All 3 FETa failed. One of the three was a chemical pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$22,500 and an additional $3000 for medicines, about $2,500 for PGS testing, and $1400 for acupuncture treatments, approximately $700 for an ERA test (endometrial receptivity biopsy) Everything was out of pocket. My insurance only paid for infertility testing and diagnostics. The year we decided to start IVF, the US Federal government pulled ALL of the insurance carriers that offer IVF treatment off their benefits offerings.
Describe Frank Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Yes he really thought I had a high chance of success and we didn’t want twins.
Rockville

I couldnt have asked for a better doctor...From the very beginning, I felt comfortable around her. She fully explained the tratement plan she had for us and answered any questions I had without hesitation. She never seemed annoyed even with her busy schedule. ..She has called us to give us good news after our egg retrieval even after our assigned nurse gave us the news. Dr. Roth is a phenomenal doctor who I would recommend (and have) to anyone seeking fertility treatment.
The only thing I see as a weakness with Shady Grove is the financial department. Not the counselors but the system itself. At SGF, you have to pay in full before you can actually start your treatment. We did so but keep getting bills saying we owe money for services we have already paid for...Our nurse Jamie is an absolute dream. She is always there to answer the millions of questions I have. She always responds back to me whether it’s through email or a phone call.
How was your experience with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
I couldnt have asked for a better doctor. I’ve known quite a few ladies who have gotten treatment at Shady Grove Fertility both at the Frederick office and Rockville office and each lady had a doctor to recommend. Initially, we were paired with Dr. Bromer but had to reschedule which then we were paired with Dr. Roth. From the very beginning, I felt comfortable around her. She fully explained the tratement plan she had for us and answered any questions I had without hesitation. She never seemed annoyed even with her busy schedule. I’ve mentioned before that she has called to check up on us when our treatment would get pushed back or when I had a bad reaction to medication. She has called us to give us good news after our egg retrieval even after our assigned nurse gave us the news. Dr. Roth is a phenomenal doctor who I would recommend (and have) to anyone seeking fertility treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Trust in Dr. Roth. She loves what she does for a living and you can see that when she interacts with you. You’re not a number with her. You are (your name) from (city, state) who wants nothing but to start a family or add to an existing family.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Roth never treated us like a number. During rough times when our treatment would get pushed back for something, she would call to check up on us. She has called to make sure I was okay when I had a bad reaction to Vicodin and had to go to the hospitalafter the egg retrieval. She cares about her patients.
Describe the protocols Lauren Roth used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I am still undergoing treatment.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jamie Dean)
Our nurse Jamie is an absolute dream. She is always there to answer the millions of questions I have. She always responds back to me whether it’s through email or a phone call. She never just calls and hangs up but she always leaves a voicemail if I don’t answer. Everyone at Shady Grove has been accommodating and helpful. Always pleasant. I’ve never had one bad experience there and I’ve been with them for almost a year (in December).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The only thing I see as a weakness with Shady Grove is the financial department. Not the counselors but the system itself. At SGF, you have to pay in full before you can actually start your treatment. We did so but keep getting bills saying we owe money for services we have already paid for. I’ve gotten emails saying that my application for ICSI is pending and that I will owe money once approved although we have been approved and I have paid the balance. It’s aggravating when you leave an exam room happy but go to leave and are told you owe money. It’s an ongoing cycle that needs to be fixed. I’ve been told it’s a new system but according to the girls in my Facebook support group, this has been an ongoing issue.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have blue cross blue shield and have 100% coverage after meeting our deductible. We paid what was left of our deductible which was around $2800.we signed up for a synchrony study with requires assisted hatching and ICSI. We were not approved for either of those services so that was out of pocket plus we owed for services before we were approved which was another $3800. Medication has been a breeze and nothing has been over $30 per prescription
Describe Lauren Roth's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
No comment. I am in a study that does PGS and ERA testing and only allows for the transfer of 1 embryo.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
This has been explained already concerning the financial department’s billing system.
Lauren Roth
Frederick

He [Dr. Yazigi] was very good about explaining the process he understood when we didn’t want to use donor sperm yet and came up woth an alternative. He was very good at making us feel like it was not hopeless. He set us up woth urologist to see my husband and gave us positive anecdotes...He was very good about explaining the whole process and gave us options based on our failed cycle with reasons why..
They [Shady Grove] are busy! Make sure if you’re doing ivf make the first appt available All of the staff was good and everyone was knowledgeable and compassionate....First assigned Stefanie Hernandez and she was great! She got a new job and for my frozen transfer I was assigned Danielle bird a She was not good and was not organized and seemed annoyed with me... Be sure to ask about discounts because they have some for the scripts
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was very good about explaining the process he understood when we didn’t want to use donor sperm yet and came up woth an alternative. He was very good at making us feel like it was not hopeless. He set us up woth urologist to see my husband and gave us positive anecdotes
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions because he has the answers and will spend the time needed with you
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Ricardo Yazigi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Gonal f and menopur, these were upped very quickly as I was not responding, but once upped I was responding fine. Started ganirelix and then did egg retrieval. Because of my progesterone level the doctor recommended a freeze all and do a frozen transfer. He called personally to tell me that only 2 embryos were made. It was later that one more embryo got made but only 1made it to 6 day blastocyst We then got ready for frozen transfer with estrogen and progesterone injections Frozen transfer did not work
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie hernandez)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are busy! Make sure if you’re doing ivf make the first appt available All of the staff was good and everyone was knowledgeable and compassionate. Don’t hesitate to do what they recommend and ask all the questions. Be sure to ask about discounts because they have some for the scripts
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered 90% but the prescriptions were what was expensive about $11000 total with insurance but my insurance has a 25k lifetime maximum
Baltimore

[Shady Grove Fertility - Rockville is a] Great facility. It is clean and new-looking. I have never once gotten the medical heeby-jeebies from any of our treatments. They even have a pharmacy on location. The services they offer are all able to be handled in one place. It is great that both my care and my husband's care is able to be addressed in one location. It works like a well oiled machine without having the mass produced factory vibe.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle is the most caring and attentive doctor I have ever met, not just fertility wise. His knowledge and compassion are so greatly valued during this difficult time. Dr.Doyle makes my husband and me feel respected, heard, and cared for. He is honest and proactive. I truly feel that he is able to help us and that he is rooting for us.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Infertility is so hard. Ask questions and kindly address your concerns. Dr. Doyle is a very good communicator and he will talk through any concern you might have. Speak up.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle is our end-game. We have male factor infertility and were referred to Shady Grove's reproductive urologist. After Dr. Doyle identified that our issue was male factor and referred us, it was unfortunately made clear that we would be on the long road. My husband's treatment will be about a year long from start until finish, and only then will Dr. Doyle and IVF/ICSI be on the table, but what makes Dr. Doyle so great is that he is on board for every milestone we go through with the RU. In fact, during my husband's treatment often the RU will leave voicemails for my husband and will not try to contact me (grrr) and Dr. Doyle will follow up with me when he sees the results even though he was not involved in the treatment. It makes me so confident that once we are eligible for IVF Dr. Doyle will be our champion. We are so thankful to have him be a part of this whole journey, and we are lucky that he is dedicated enough to care about our treatment even when he is not directly involved.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alana)
Informative, thorough, good communicator, caring, effective, teammate
Joseph Doyle
Rockville

Dr. Mottla wants you to succeed in treatments so does not hold back on what he believes will work best for you. After our first meeting we went straight to IUI with clomid and injectables. After 4 failed IUIs he gave us the option to try again, but assured us that IVF was the best route for our situation. He was right, 5+ weeks pregnant with a fresh 5 day hatching embryo transferred!
Shady Grove [Annapolis] has so many different locations available in my area. The hours are great and they have always been able to accommodate every need. The clinics are beautiful and are so welcoming to all patients.... All of the nurses at Shady Grove have been very helpful. They are very good at explaining treatment plans and answering all questions or concerns. Ann was always available to answer any crazy question I threw her way!
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla is truly a caring doctor and always makes sure to take time out of his day to call or talk to us at visits. He shows so much compassion with treatment failures and successes, while still being realistic about the next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure to listen to his advice, thoughts, and concerns. He has a lot of experience and is very realistic about plans and options available to you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla personally took the time to always call to explain things to us as well as answer any additional questions or concerns we had along the way.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has so many different locations available in my area. The hours are great and they have always been able to accommodate every need. The clinics are beautiful and are so welcoming to all patients.
Monitoring appointments are quick and easy. All the staff is very accommodating and they get you in and out super quickly.
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Mottla really wanted us to succeed with IVF treatment, but given my age, I had a 50/50 chance getting pregnant with IVF do transferring one was all we needed. He explained that though I am tall enough to carry twins, it is still a high risk pregnancy and since my chances are high, he advised transferring only one.
Annapolis

when I met Dr. Nair she showed me true kindness and compassion. She is honest, knowledgeable, and most importantly she gave me hope.... She was honest and thorough when explaining our options and let us feel in control of our treatment plan. Dr Nair worked together with us as a team and assured we were comfortable in our decision making process...Dr Nair suggested that while taking clomid if I produced too many mature eggs that cycle I should not go through with IUI
Most weaknesses are just small inconveniences such as location and parking situation. In my opinion their main weakness is that the receptionist fails to answer and return phone calls. In person she is very unfriendly. The clinical staff at Shady Grove is absolutely wonderful...The financial counselor is thorough in explaining what is covered by insurance and what is owed. They offer a generous 25% off discount for military families
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
When Dr. Nair first introduced herself to my husband and I she approached us with a welcoming voice and a kind smile. She made us feel comfortable and patiently listened to everything we had to say. Dr Nair showed empathy and compassion when I opened up to her about our previous miscarriages. She was honest and thorough when explaining our options and let us feel in control of our treatment plan. Dr Nair worked together with us as a team and assured we were comfortable in our decision making process. Overall Dr. Nair has many strengths and as far as I have seen she has not shown any weaknesses.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I highly recommend seeing Dr. Nair. She is everything we have been looking for in a doctor. There aren’t many like her.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I know what it’s like to feel like a number, I was treated as such by previous doctors who refused to provide further treatment for me... but when I met Dr. Nair she showed me true kindness and compassion. She is honest, knowledgeable, and most importantly she gave me hope.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr Nair suggested that while taking clomid if I produced too many mature eggs that cycle I should not go through with IUI and take the chance conceiving multiples of 3 or more due to the increased risks of preterm labor and low birthweight.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Olga Mejia)
Our nurse was very organized and informative. She made sure we were satisfied and understood our treatment plan.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic has more strengths than weaknesses for sure. Most weaknesses are just small inconveniences such as location and parking situation. In my opinion their main weakness is that the receptionist fails to answer and return phone calls. In person she is very unfriendly. The clinical staff at Shady Grove is absolutely wonderful. They go above and beyond to satisfy patient needs. They even provide visuals to help further understand procedures. The financial counselor is thorough in explaining what is covered by insurance and what is owed. They offer a generous 25% off discount for military families, and a 5%-25% off discount for qualifying patients who make under 95k per year. Overall i’m high Satisfied.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
Initial consultation along with diagnostics was covered by Tricare. (No copay or deductible) otherwise consultation is $175. IUI costs $1,800. Clomid $100-$500. 25% off Military discount. IVF $10-$15k.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr Nair suggested transferring no more than 2 embryos.
Anitha Nair
Washington DC

Dr Bromer is an incredibly honest, understanding, truthful, scientific clinician. I wanted less fluff and more fact for the IVF process and he gave us just that... Don’t expect warm and fuzzies. He is kind, but he is a good doctor who’s main interest seems to be in the science behind getting and keeping a woman pregnant, not hand holding or coddling through the process.... When monitoring discovered a cyst he called me personally to discuss the details, importance and impact of the suggested immediate aspiration.
As part of the Shady Grove Fertility system my direct interaction with my doctor or nurse was limited and I got pass around in the system... Mindy [a nurse] was phenomenal. She always called me back within 24 hours, she would let me blabber away on the phone about my fears, doubts or excitement of a recent step in the treatment process. She provides detailed protocols and follow up phone calls to make sure I’m doing well with the next step.As part of the Shady Grove Fertility system my direct interaction with my doctor or nurse was limited and I got pass around in the system...
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Bromer is an incredibly honest, understanding, truthful, scientific clinician. I wanted less fluff and more fact for the IVF process and he gave us just that. As part of the Shady Grove Fertility system my direct interaction with my doctor or nurse was limited and I got pass around in the system, but when planning out our IVF protocol he heard everything we wanted, gave us all our options, and even when we said we eventually wanted to transfer two embryos in pursuit of twins he said “I would strongly recommend against that but we’ll do what you want. IVF has higher success rates nowadays than historically, it’ll be healthier for you and your baby if you transfer just one.” When monitoring discovered a cyst he called me personally to discuss the details, importance and impact of the suggested immediate aspiration. Even the day after my retrieval with a different doctor, my pain was unfathomable and he jumped into my emergency appointment to ensure no internal bleeding, ovarian twisting or unintentional rupture had taken place, when usually it was only myself, the ultrasound tech and a random nurse in my appointments. Even during this opiod crisis he didn’t say “it’s really unusual you to be hurting like this, just go home and rest.” He made sure I was safe and comfortable during my recovery, gave me a small prescription of a higher dose pain killer which finally enabled me to sit and sleep, and I returned to a normal state of post retrieval pain 2 days later without completing the prescription. Just today when one of our two embryos returned with a mosaic abnormality he spent 25 minutes on the phone with my husband and I going through every angle and potential outcome of whether or not to transfer it.
Dr Bromer always spoke with me directly only on the important matters. He would even wait while I conferences my husband in on a call and spent as much time as we needed on the phone answering questions. Much more occurred between the important phone calls, and our experience is a little tainted about how the clinic staff treated me like a number.
Infertility is not biologically my problem, so the preexams confirmed all was right with my body. I presume the treatment plan was laid out as it would be for any standard patient. During Stims a cyst on my ovary was discovered, something new to me, and Dr Bromer called me to explain exactly how and why it would halt the IVF treatment and how important it was to have it removed right away. Apparently birth control, which I hadn’t taken in over 5 years, now (or maybe always?) made me develop an ovarian cyst. He advised the medications to stimulate my ovary and follicle growth would also make the cyst grow. My estrogen level was at 90 when it should’ve been 30-50. I can’t remember why the cyst would negatively impact the treatment but Dr Bromer did state if I didn’t get the cyst removed TOMORROW we could start Stims until the next month and hopefully the cyst would go down by then.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mindy Cotrell)
Mindy was phenomenal. She always called me back within 24 hours, she would let me blabber away on the phone about my fears, doubts or excitement of a recent step in the treatment process. She provides detailed protocols and follow up phone calls to make sure I’m doing well with the next step.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF treated me like a number. It was a cattle call every morning for monitoring. When we went in for my retrieval they asked my husband for his sperm sample, and shocked we advised they’ve had it in their lab for 2 years!
Cattle call line around the corner. Toward the end, one nurse/tech would holler into the waiting room “make sure you empty your bladder before your ultrasound!”
$24,000 for the IVF shared risk program, right now almost $5,000 for medications. The bill for the cyst aspiration hasn’t come in yet.
My husband and I wanted twins out of this expense, invasive process. Dr Bromer strongly advised against it as twins can be more taxing on mom and the other fetus during pregnancy, and having one newborn is harder than two. At the end of this first round we only have one quality embryo to transfer anyway, but he did detail with us the potential outcomes, both best and worst case scenario, if we transferred the abnormal embryo. I figured if it miscarries, no big deal. He advised; if it miscarries a subsequent DNC may damage the other healthy fetus. I didn’t even think of that, I more so thought it would just drop out of me.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My issue was at the Rockville clinic. They forgot/misplaced didn’t read the paperwork to recognize my husbands sperm was right there in their lab for two years prior to my retrieval. Very unsettling as next month both of my embryos will be thawed and only one transferred; I now fear they’ll transfer the wrong one, the abnormal one which we are donating to science and will mistakenly explore the one healthy embryo.
Frederick

Dr. Levens is an amazing man and doctor. He cares soooo much! I am so glad that I have him on my team. I feel so lucky.... Dr. Levens is truly one of a kind! It has been such a long and rough road, we had a miscarriage 6 days ago. Things have been really hard but when Dr. Levens told us there was no heart beat at 8 weeks you could tell how sorry he was for us. This whole process is so scary but I know Dr. Levens has our best interest in hand.
Strengths- everyone [Shady Grove] really does care! They offer everything you need in one location which is amazing. Weakness- billing/insurance! Stay on top of everything!!!!! The community is great, lots of people to feel connected too and also the office is very new and clean which is amazing.... Each appointment seems like its at least $200 and that does not include meds. There have been many tears when dealing with the money part.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens level of caring is beyond what we could ask for. I am so happy with him and my nurse. The other staff is amazing too. Dr. Levens is truly one of a kind! It has been such a long and rough road, we had a miscarriage 6 days ago. Things have been really hard but when Dr. Levens told us there was no heart beat at 8 weeks you could tell how sorry he was for us. This whole process is so scary but I know Dr. Levens has our best interest in hand.
It has been a long journey for us- and I hope its not for you but just trust in the process and stay strong! Cry and yell when you need too. Take care of yourself. Dr. Levens cares he really does!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary! )
I LOVE MARY!!!! She is like family now. So lucky to have her. Truly amazing!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths- everyone really does care! They offer everything you need in one location which is amazing. Weakness- billing/insurance! Stay on top of everything!!!!! The community is great, lots of people to feel connected too and also the office is very new and clean which is amazing.
It was very easy! Sometimes you waited but for the most part it was in and out. Made it a little better trying to get to work. They do a great job!
I am not sure, it been so much money. Each appointment seems like its at least $200 and that does not include meds. There have been many tears when dealing with the money part.
I am happy that he suggested eSET...he said it was our choice but felt strongly about one for our situation.
Fairfax

My husband suffers from male factor infertility. Dr. K [Kulshrestha] recommended he take vitamins (conception XR Theralogix). ... Dr.K is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. Before each procedure she always draws a diagram of what will occur. We like it because we can know what to anticipate. She also explains any possible side effects that could occur during the procedure. She is honest but very reassuring and positive regarding any of the procedures.
There was one occasion when they forgot to tell us to update our blood work. Unfortunately this did mean we had to miss one IUI cycle until the results were received. ... The clinic in Waldorf [Shady Grove Fertility] is small so they do not do IVF there but they can perform IUI's, sonograms, and blood work. For larger procedure there are several other offices you can go to such as Rockville and Fairfax. The facilities there are also very nice and calming. Everything is always extremely clean and very pleasant. They are also typically quiet and peaceful which is nice. ...
How was your experience with Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr.K is a very knowledgeable and compassionate doctor. Before each procedure she always draws a diagram of what will occur. We like it because we can know what to anticipate. She also explains any possible side effects that could occur during the procedure. She is honest but very reassuring and positive regarding any of the procedures. Lastly, the best thing is she always welcomes you with a smile. She is extremely kind and always makes you feel like you are her only patient.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure to book your appointments well in advance. She is very popular and can get booked up quickly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The staff is incredibly kind. The nurse we have been given is always willing to answer phone calls and emails. They try to work with us in any way they can. The doctor is very honest and always tells us what to expect. She is very sweet and you can tell she cares about her patience's.
Describe the protocols Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My husband suffers from male factor infertility. Dr. K recommended he take vitamins (conception XR Theralogix). The vitamins helped increase his semen sample and give it a thinner viscosity. His numbers did rise which was great. She recommended natural cycle IUI treatments. We did 5 IUI cycles all of which failed. She gave us the option to try IVF right after the 5th one but we asked to do a 6th cycle. She complied but unfortunately it did not take. Now we are working towards IVF treatments. I have been put on birth control to prevent any abscess growths on my ovaries.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alexis Jordan)
Alexis has been wonderful through out this whole process. Every single email I write or phone call I make she responds too. She knows this is a difficult process and never pushes anything on us. Whenever she can she finds a way to find us a discount or coupon towards our medications. There was a time when I was very down and emotional. She told me I could take the time I needed to heal. She also said the team and herself were there to get us through this. She truly a sweet person and we are so lucky she is our nurse!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic in Waldorf is small so they do not do IVF there but they can perform IUI's, sonograms, and blood work. For larger procedure there are several other offices you can go to such as Rockville and Fairfax. The facilities there are also very nice and calming. Everything is always extremely clean and very pleasant. They are also typically quiet and peaceful which is nice.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
Each IUI was around $300. For IVF we qualified for one of their 50/50 programs. We get up to 6 cycles from this program. However, if at any time we decide to stop treatments the procedure does not work we will receive our money back. The medications are not included in this procedures. The nurse gave us to different pharmacies which happen to be rivals. They also helped us get discounts for the medications required.
Describe Sunita Kulshrestha (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We are going to try for a single embryo transfer which I am comfortable with.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There was one occasion when they forgot to tell us to update our blood work. Unfortunately this did mean we had to miss one IUI cycle until the results were received. The nurse admitted to the mistake and they waived did waive our fee for one of out appointments.
Sunita Kulshrestha (retired)
Waldorf

Because I was traveling... for treatment, I really thought I would lose some personal interaction with my doctor. However, Dr. Yazigi went out of his way to speak to me as long as I needed while we were in Towson and made an effort on several occasions to call me and talk through my treatment options. He always took the time to be kind and to give me all the time I needed.
The clinic [Shady Grove] itself is very clean and the staff are very organized. I did all of my testing remotely though in another clinic. Therefore, I did not get the full experience of multiple visits to the clinic outside of procedures....Very strong preference for eSET....I loved that I had a direct email and could always email or talk with Elayne when I needed anything. She was very accessible.
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Yazigi is practical and always measured my expectations in a thoughtful way. He under-promised and over-delivered in my case. He always took the time to talk to me and never rushed our appointments.
The same advice I would give any patient...take control of your health. Ask as many questions as you need to feel comfortable. Trust that Dr. Yazigi will give you thoughtful answers.
Because I was traveling from Birmingham, AL to Towson, MD for treatment, I really thought I would lose some personal interaction with my doctor. However, Dr. Yazigi went out of his way to speak to me as long as I needed while we were in Towson and made an effort on several occasions to call me and talk through my treatment options. He always took the time to be kind and to give me all the time I needed.
21 days BCP, Del Estogen (20 mg/ml) .2ml IM every third evening three weeks prior to FET, Progesterone in Oil (50 mg/ml) 1ml IM daily starting 5 days prior to FET. Del Estrogen and Progesterone in oil continued until 12 weeks. Prednisone and blood thinner also started a few days prior to procedure and continued through 14 weeks.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elayne Kochis)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic itself is very clean and the staff are very organized. I did all of my testing remotely though in another clinic. Therefore, I did not get the full experience of multiple visits to the clinic outside of procedures.
I paid for the shared risk program with genetic testing. It was $27,500 fully refundable without success. Follow up transfers with remaining embryos were $4,600.
Describe Ricardo Yazigi (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Very strong preference for eSET.
Towson

Dr. Beall was our second RE and even further down the line of doctors and OBGYNs who had done testing, etc. prior to us committing to IVF -- yet she was the first to use specifics, including success rates, to determine a plan of care that felt appropriate and thoughtful. Although we were not successful on our two attempts to conceive with IVF, I would return to her for another round.... While Dr. Beall would refer to some diagnostic software to give specifics
The staff at Shady Grove could be friendly to a fault (even creepily so on occasion). Although they were generally competent, the bureaucracy was sometimes exhausting.... The clinic was clean and bright. I appreciated the notices that discouraged patients from bringing other children to appointments for sensitivity reasons. I did not enjoy the creepy, over bearing sentiments to "think positive" and "stay hopeful."
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared to receive a straightforward plan for care, delivered efficiently (but not particularly warmly).
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
While Dr. Beall would refer to some diagnostic software to give specifics, she would also use a paper and pen to sketch out exactly what was going to happen, when, and how. She allowed as much time as needed for questions and clarification so that we always left an appointment fully understanding the plan going forward.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Standard protocol, IVF with ICSI. The first retrieval eggs only fertilized with rescue ICSI. The second retrieval we implemented ICSI right away and 7/15 fertilized (only 1 survived to transfer). The trigger shot taken prior to each of my retrievals caused a migraine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tina Yingling)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Stephanie Beall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Beall recommended a single embryo transfer and indicated that transferring multiple embryos does not increase the chance for a successful pregnancy, only increases chance of multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On one occasion instructions that were meant to be communicated to me within a certain time frame, were not. The error did not result in significant inconvenient, only frustration.
Stephanie Beall
Towson

We used a fresh cycle-frozen embryo transfer [with Dr. Levy] because my lining responded better to IVF drugs, but we transferred a genetically tested 5 day embryo... saw us after we’d failed several courses of treatment and we thought we were ready to move on to donor eggs. He encouraged us to try with him again. We had our best cycle on record for a freeze all, and he studied MY DATA and saw that my lining didn’t respond on using traditional FET drugs so we used injectibles instead- boom- two Singleton babies later, we cannot be more satisfied with our doc.
We did two IVFs and 2 transfers to get our “take home baby” [at Shady Grove Fertility-Rockville]...runs like a well oiled machine. I love that the surgical bays are so clean and organized- trust me, I’ve been to some truely shady fertility clinics (pun intended). The teams for retrievals and transfers are military like in their processes- it makes me feel safe and secure as a patient, that my proceedure is in good hands and that they’re transferring the right embryos. They’re always stopping to match names and procedures.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. levy saw us after we’d failed several courses of treatment and we thought we were ready to move on to donor eggs. He encouraged us to try with him again. We had our best cycle on record for a freeze all, and he studied MY DATA and saw that my lining didn’t respond on using traditional FET drugs so we used injectibles instead- boom- two Singleton babies later, we cannot be more satisfied with our doc. They see a million patients there and even though we didn’t see our doc a ton, I know he was carefully looking after me.
As an out of state patient, be prepared for a long stay near the clinic before the IVF for monitoring, this means days off of work and hotel costs.
We didn’t get to talk to or email with Dr levy apart from the initial consultation and strategy changes after a failed cycle. But we had a dedicated nurse who was very much available by phone and e-mail for all of our questions and concerns. To us, it didn’t matter because we got two babies (singletons) and that’s all that mattered after not getting the same results for years of treatment before.
Describe the protocols Michael Levy used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We used a fresh cycle-frozen embryo transfer because my lining responded better to IVF drugs, but we transferred a genetically tested 5 day embryo.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jordan Blades and Nicole Antonio)
We both called and emailed and always got quick responses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove runs like a well oiled machine. I love that the surgical bays are so clean and organized- trust me, I’ve been to some truely shady fertility clinics (pun intended). The teams for retrievals and transfers are military like in their processes- it makes me feel safe and secure as a patient, that my proceedure is in good hands and that they’re transferring the right embryos. They’re always stopping to match names and procedures.
Oye. I think we paid 25k for two cycles of IVF plus including all FETs for the embryos created until we took home a baby. We did two IVFs and 2 transfers to get our “take home baby”. Then we had frozen embryos left and only had to pay for FET for our next baby. Storage costs were about 500$ for embryos and 300? Maybe for sperm, yearly.
If your lining isn’t good and you transfer more than one, you lose a chance to try to prep the lining a different way. Plus Dr levy was a huge proponent of single embryo transfers because it was safer for mom and baby.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
I find Dr. Moon very personable and honest, which is great. Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed, even though they asked me my birth date multiple times ... Dr. Moon is very open and a candid communicator. She was honest about whether she thought I should pursue treatment, and when one cycle wasn't going well, she was honest about whether she thought I should cancel or not. I really appreciate the fact that every time I talk to her, I know I'm hearing exactly what she thinks about my situation.
Shady Grove does a huge business in the DC-area and knows how to treat its patients. There are no "emotional frills" -- or maybe I just haven't needed them -- but the treatment is efficient and empathetic to its patients' needs... I always found everyone friendly, empathetic, and caring....I remember that I got 4 cycles/20 eggs for $12k + med costs....Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would just say good luck with the treatment! There are definitely no worries or concerns about Dr. Moon herself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I find Dr. Moon very personable and honest, which is great. Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed, even though they asked me my birth date multiple times and the current date was written down everywhere, LOL.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember all the details of my retrieval, but I think the procedures were pretty standard. I used Bravelle (+ one other drug I'm not remembering), standard trigger shots (only one intramuscular), and never had any problems recovering from the actual retrievals.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: (don't remember))
I don't remember many specifics, but I always found everyone friendly, empathetic, and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
I remember that I got 4 cycles/20 eggs for $12k + med costs. There was a refund if you only did one (or maybe two) cycle(s), but since I didn't take that option I don't remember the details.
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I haven't gone through embryo transfer yet, but Dr. Moon seems open to eSET, for which I am extremely grateful.
Kimberly Moon
Washington DC
Dr. Matla understood the pain we were going through to conceive and the tough place we were in. He was understanding, patient and explained all the results and procedures so that we could comprehend our treatment. He never rushed through our appointments to get to the next patient...Dr. Mottla wanted to provide us with a child and tried to take our income in to consideration so we didn’t throw money at a treatment that wouldn’t provide us our desired outcome. He let us take our time discussing our treatment so that we were not rushed to a decision.
Everyone is so friendly and kind! They [Shady Grove] take the time to see you and get to know you! The most intimidating part is meeting with the finance team because the next step becomes real. However, they provide advice to those that have to pay out of pocket so you get the best results of your treatment...Dana was the best! I felt she was more of a family member than our nurse...She gave me her cellphone number and let me ask questions whenever I had them. She was quick to return my calls and so compassionate.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla wanted to provide us with a child and tried to take our income in to consideration so we didn’t throw money at a treatment that wouldn’t provide us our desired outcome. He let us take our time discussing our treatment so that we were not rushed to a decision. I appreciated his explanations so that we knew what to expect during treatment.
Be aware that he is blunt. He’s not being unkind, sometimes delivering bad news is not easy. He is there to help and understands what you’re going through.
Dr. Matla understood the pain we were going through to conceive and the tough place we were in. He was understanding, patient and explained all the results and procedures so that we could comprehend our treatment. He never rushed through our appointments to get to the next patient. We felt like our infertility was not a problem.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
Dana was the best! I felt she was more of a family member than our nurse. She gave me her cellphone number and let me ask questions whenever I had them. She was quick to return my calls and so compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone is so friendly and kind! They take the time to see you and get to know you! The most intimidating part is meeting with the finance team because the next step becomes real. However, they provide advice to those that have to pay out of pocket so you get the best results of your treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dana was good to call around to find us the best priced medication which was $423 a cycle. IVF was $30,000 for 6 cycles and a shared risk. If you did not deliver a child after 6 sessions you were fully refunded.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
Embryo Freezing
I thought I might have a thyroid issue (based on terrible internetting) and she [the nurse at Shady Grove] without question added it to my bloodwork to appease me. The nurses who do the bloodwork are all very gentle and nice. I think they must know I experienced a miscarriage and now that when I get my blood drawn to see the HCG levels are going down, they’re very delicate with me.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
During what is a very stressful time, Dr Levens was always candid but caring and compassionate. He gave us positive and negative feedback and it was always welcome. I felt very comfortable with him. He was always encouraging and was direct when I told him about the things I had read on the internet. He was never condescending or rude. I truly feel as though he is on this journey with us.
You won’t always see Dr Levens at every appointment but at the big ones you will (IUI, follow ups). He stayed late with us one evening to answer all our questions. He truly cares about his patients.
He has a very gentle bedside manner. When we got pregnant he was genuinely so happy for us. When we lost our baby he was so empathetic and caring.
We have undergone 3 IUI cycles with two cancelled cycles due to over stimulation. When I responded too well, he adjusted my clomid dosage (from 75 to 50mg). We were able to get pregnant with our last IUI cycle but unfortunately lost the baby at 8.5 weeks. Dr Levens was at the appointment where we learned there was no longer a heartbeat. That was our last IUI as Dr Levens thought that too many IUI cycles with clomid would thin my lining. Now we are moving onto IVF with PGS testing as I respond well to clomid but had troubles getting pregnant/ keeping a pregnancy. He felt that because I was creating a good number of follicles, and because the baby we miscarried had chromosomal abnormalities that PGS would be a good option for us to determine which embryo would be the healthiest.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lisha Tolbert, Sarah Conron )
We had a change in nurses as one left for personal reasons. Our new nurse is very nice and I’m still getting to know her (and she’s still getting to know us). I thought I might have a thyroid issue (based on terrible internetting) and she without question added it to my bloodwork to appease me. The nurses who do the bloodwork are all very gentle and nice. I think they must know I experienced a miscarriage and now that when I get my blood drawn to see the HCG levels are going down, they’re very delicate with me.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really like that you don’t feel like a cog in the machine. The Annandale office has moved to fairfax just a mile or two away and their surgical facility has opened which makes things much more convenient (you won’t necessarily have to go to Rockville anymore).
I’m very lucky that so far my insurance has covered all IUI. My husband’s insurance will cover our ivf.
2015 - 2018, Successful
I have nothing bad to say about Dr Levens. Everything about him is what you look for in a doctor for sensitive treatment such as this. He is soft spoken, kind, informative, reads patients well so understands when there’s hesitation and doesn’t push, he’s super knowledgeable and and trustworthy.... We had unexplained infertility, so we weren’t terribly agressive with the treatments. I was on birth control for 3 weeks, then stimulated meds for about another 3, retrieved 10 mature eggs, only 4 fertilized, and only 2 graded high enough for transfer or freezing.
There was a bit of quick expansion at the clinic [Shady Grove], and a disconnect with the clinical office and billing, so while things USED TO work like a well oiled machine, in 2018 all that stopped and things were pretty chaotic. I was glad to have had treatment prior to their expansion because I got great service then... The nursing staff was a hit or miss. I prefer more information. Over less, and it was sometimes tough getting all the information needed, and in the timeline needed.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you have because he will answer everything!!
I never felt like a number to Dr Levens. He always recognized me by name when passing me by in the clinic, he was incredibly caring and always looking out for our best interest and what we were hoping to achieve. He was incredibly patient and explained everything in detail because I like a lot of information.
We had unexplained infertility, so we weren’t terribly agressive with the treatments. I was on birth control for 3 weeks, then stimulated meds for about another 3, retrieved 10 mature eggs, only 4 fertilized, and only 2 graded high enough for transfer or freezing. Levens recommenced any future retrievals we will do ICSI to increase odds for fertilization. Levens also recommended transferring only one embryo for the first cycle, because there wasn’t any reason to believe implantation was an issue, and chances of twins drastically increased with the transfer of two embryos. The first fresh cycle, I transferred one, which resulted in a Live birth Singleton, and the second frozen embryo I am currently 33 weeks pregnant with no complications. The second was a frozen embryo transfer, and everything went very smoothly, birth control for 3 weeks, then progesterone in oil for a couple more weeks plus vaginal suppository of estridol pills. Continued with a few more weeks of PIO after positive beta, and then finished last few weeks with vaginal suppository of endometrin.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff was a hit or miss. I prefer more information. Over less, and it was sometimes tough getting all the information needed, and in the timeline needed. Also there was a quick expansion at the office, so I got shuffled around to various nurses which was tough. Dr Levens was my doctor throughout, but the nurses changed a few times, sometimes not having a nurse assigned at all, and that was hard to get information sometimes, like protocol, prescriptions, timing for meds, random questions, etc.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
There was a bit of quick expansion at the clinic, and a disconnect with the clinical office and billing, so while things USED TO work like a well oiled machine, in 2018 all that stopped and things were pretty chaotic. I was glad to have had treatment prior to their expansion because I got great service then, but now it’s tough and I hope they work out their kinks soon.
The costs included treatment only, I purchased meds separately.
Fairfax
Dr. Change listened to our concerns and worked with a new plan, as our first IVF with another fertility clinic failed. He was willing to try what we thought would work differently. we tried a fresh transfer rather than a frozen, and we took many supplements that were allowed by SGF to help with egg quality. Overall I felt heard and my ideas taken under consideration...We did the Lupron Stop protocol, along with menopur and Gonal F. We tried that because my first round of IVF with a different clinic was unsuccessful in growing quality embryos. Our first round of IVF at the other clinic yielded 0 embryos to transfer. This cycle with Dr. Chang at SGF yielded 7 good quality embryos! We transferred 1 embryo which resulted in a successful pregnancy. I am currently 34 weeks pregnant.
[The nurses at Shady Grove Fertility- Rockville were] very nice and frequently good with communication and emailed responses...Once my beta results were failed to be notified. I called the clinic and was able to get the results...I did a fresh transfer. I at first wanted to transfer two, however Dr. Chang was concerned about the development of OHSS. I am happy he led me to transfer only one embryo. I became successfully pregnant with a single embryo.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to voice your concerns. Dr. Change will listen and will work with your plan.
Although this clinic was very busy, I was always seen in a timely manner, and Dr. Chang called me personally to let me know the outcome of our retrieval.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kaitlin Fournier)
Very nice and frequently good with communication and emailed responses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This is a very busy clinic. With that being said, most all staff members were compassionate and helpful. SGF has a free therapy group that patients can join and meet others in the same situation. That was very helpful. They also have a wellness center with acupuncture and massage. This was a saving grace for me! I was able to do acupuncture often, and on the day of my transfer.
I had insurance that covered 50%. My medication and fresh cycle cost totaled about $6000 total. The cryopreservation totaled $1800 for the first year.