6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Amrane did a pretty good job of explaining my specific situation and laying out possible treatments, etc. I only saw her in a couple of virtual visits (and in person once during the initial consultation, which was for egg freezing). She answered my questions and was understanding about what I was trying to accomplish. She wished me luck during the IUIs and was sympathetic when I didn't get pregnant. On the down side, she focused a lot on "what can go wrong" and it definitely gave me more stress instead of being reassured. I think she doesn't have enough experience in dealing with anxious patients.
Right now, my main complaint with the [Shady Grove Fertility] clinic is that it's very difficult to get a full picture/layout of how much different treatment scenarios will ultimately cost you. So I haven't been happy with the financial situation for my IVF, so far... Overall, the clinic is very organized, staff is very nice and professional. Yes, you will probably "feel like a number," but it's Shady Grove and it's a busy clinic... If you make peace with feeling like a number, it's not that bad... Most of the nursing staff was also very good.
How was your experience with Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't look for a super-warm bedside manner. Ask specific questions to get specific information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility?
For my initial consultation, Dr. Amrane (and nurses) really stressed me out and it definitely felt like I was more of a number. I had a blood pressure spike and no one really reassured me about it - and it was only a consultation! I don't think there was enough explanation/caring about just how complex, time-sensitive and demanding the process really is... For my virtual meetings with Dr. Amrane, she was ok/relatively nice, but her demeanor was still sort of "stress-inducing."
Describe the protocols Selma Amrane used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did four IUIs; the first was a natural cycle, because I was hoping to avoid chemicals, etc. She was very willing to try different things (i.e., a natural cycle) and said it's worth a shot. When the first 2 IUIs were unsuccessful, she said I should consider moving on to IVF. She did note my lower ovarian reserve, and I think that was a big reason for her suggestion. I used clomid for one cycle (which didn't end up going all the way to an IUI, because I got sick), and letrozole for another cycle. I was switched to letrozole because I may have had visual side effects from clomid, so they wanted to be on the safe side. For the IVF, I had menopur and gonal-f, and ultimately cetrotide; also, Dr. Amrane had me do a final boost of those meds before the trigger shot. I wasn't told the rationale for that... but currently I'm waiting to see how many of my fertilized eggs turn to blastocysts. I had 3 eggs fertilize.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Beth Goode)
Beth Goode was awesome! One of the best health care providers I've ever had. She is always very organized, knowledgeable, calm, professional, understanding, takes LOTS of time to answer any questions I have... She was good at reassuring me when I worried about things and good at giving a very thorough perspective on everything. Most of the nursing staff was also very good.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Right now, my main complaint with the clinic is that it's very difficult to get a full picture/layout of how much different treatment scenarios will ultimately cost you. So I haven't been happy with the financial situation for my IVF, so far... Overall, the clinic is very organized, staff is very nice and professional. Yes, you will probably "feel like a number," but it's Shady Grove and it's a busy clinic... If you make peace with feeling like a number, it's not that bad. For a new patient, however, it is honestly an extremely stressful experience, because they don't seem to take into account the level of complexity and anxiety that the whole fertility situation creates. I was told during my consultation that my blood pressure was high enough that I could go to the ER - friggin' ridiculous! So, I understand that the nursing staff are primarily gynecologists, not cardiologists, etc, but hopefully new patients can take a lot of their comments and suggestions with a grain of salt, because outside of the fertility stuff, they don't necessarily know what they're talking about. Shady Grove is clearly *extremely* focused on avoiding any type of liability, so they warn you about every possible little thing, presumably so they don't get sued. So I just wouldn't listen to all the risks and everything like that that they tell you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility.
I think IUI was approximately $1,500 a cycle. (I paid out of pocket at the time.) Ovidrel was $68. My IVF charges are still being processed, but... I was so far billed about $6,500 by Shady Grove (which includes about $3,600 for PGT testing). This does NOT include an embryo transfer - but allegedly does include the cost covered by insurance. I have also been charged, at this point, roughly $6,000 just for medications. But everything is still going through insurance, so I'm not sure how this will all shake out.
Describe Selma Amrane's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Haven't gotten that far
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Like I said earlier, I really wasn't given a comprehensive overview of the financial picture for IVF treatment. I wasn't told that if I did PGT testing, I couldn't do a fresh embryo transfer, which would add like at least $6,000 to the treatment (I thought embryo transfers cost closer to $3,400). No one also told me how much IVF meds cost, like even a ballpark estimate. I realize I could have done more of my own research ahead of time, but the way the clinic downplayed the cost of the meds, etc, I just wasn't that focused on it. So that's the main thing I wasn't happy with.
Selma Amrane

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
While I am sure she [Dr. Rebecca Chason] is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work...Demand more, do your research and ask tons of questions. Don’t assume because they are the Dr they know more. You have to advocate for yourself and what you would like done
They [Shady Grove Fertility] have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly...the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
While I am sure she is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work. After the 3 failed IUI I reached out about a change to my regimen because clearly what I was on was not working. They said no it would stay the same and I was responding well. Well after 2 more failed attempts Dr. chasen now wants to talk about changing the regimen which I felt was a little late. I aged out of IVF at that particular clinic but never got a change to do a successful retrieval so I moved on to a clinic that didn’t have a age cut off of 45 for your own eggs. I didn’t even bother with the last IUI….more money wasted with no measurable change to the regimen
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
I barely spoke to Dr. Chasen more so her nurse. Overall while they were nice I didn’t feel that they cared as much as I would have liked during this emotionally stressful period. They kept pushing me to do donor egg although my egg reserve was good. I do feel that my failed egg retrieval could have also been avoided if certain things would have been noted before hand.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Chason used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For the IVF…I was on BC pills initially, then Lupron, added in 150 menopour and 275 gonal f. They started high because of my age and I reacted better than they thought so they had to lower the gonal f to 150 so I would not go into ohss. I went into retrieval with them seeing at least 16 follicles mature and ready. I woke up saying they were unable to retrieve any because they could not access my ovaries vaginally and abdominally they saw a blood vessel in front of the ovary and decided to not proceed. It was devastating They then told me that they would not move on with IVF for that reason….no trying to figure out how we can go around that because I clearly responded well. They then moved to IUI which was 100mg clomid for 5 days and on day 3 150 gonal f and day 5 150 gonal f. When I went in each time they saw 2-3 follicles that were mature and ready for insemenation. The sperm was great according to them, but Nothing took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
They nurse was pleasant enough and was available when I had a question. The staff at the clinic were great. I will say that the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly
It was convenient as early as 7am and in and out in 30 mins and still able to get to work in a timely fashion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty good and covered a good amount. The meds were the most expensive part. Without meds IVF was around 4,000. With meds $13,000. IUI meds were about $350 and out of pocket was 1,000
Describe Rebecca Chason's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was just twice that I had to call about results and to know if I was triggering that night as the staff failed to call as the usually did. I was able to reach a night nurse who after looking up the information called me back and said that yes I was to trigger which I would have missed if I was not proactive about calling
Rebecca Chason
Annapolis

2021 - 2022, Successful
The doctor [Dr. Sagoskin] personally called me with sensitive information and had a warm bedside manner...genuine and listens to our concerns. He also is ready with a next plan for us so we can move forward when we are ready. He has tailored my medication each time to get better results and has been supportive when we went through a chemical pregnancy. He is good at communicating when questions arise and is very helpful at explaining terminology and gray areas of fertility..
Great care! [at Shady Grove Fertility] Doctors are sympathetic and sensitive and nurses are skilled and great at managing patient concerns and questions. I have felt supported at each stage of the process by our clinic. I have enjoyed the professionalism and overall great atmosphere of my visits. It’s a busy place, which can create stress and long waits for patients....She [nurse] assumed I was coming back in to the clinic because my levels were going up when in fact I had a chemical pregnancy and I was doing tests to ensure the number went down below 5. This was a difficult time and I thought the nurse could have checked my record before making the comment she did...
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
The doctor is genuine and listens to our concerns. He also is ready with a next plan for us so we can move forward when we are ready. He has tailored my medication each time to get better results and has been supportive when we went through a chemical pregnancy. He is good at communicating when questions arise and is very helpful at explaining terminology and gray areas of fertility. He also did our first retrieval and was very encouraging afterwards.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be sure to ask all the questions you have as you will feel more comfortable and learn more if you approach the doctor with your concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
The doctor personally called me with sensitive information and had a warm bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Arthur Sagoskin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Short protocol with microdose Lupron, better outcome (9 eggs retrieved second time vs 3 first time) with adjusted dose of Lupron
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Bethany )
Wonderful attention from my primary nurse. One nurse made me feel very bad when she asked if it was my last blood work to check HCG levels, saying it was exciting. She assumed I was coming back in to the clinic because my levels were going up when in fact I had a chemical pregnancy and I was doing tests to ensure the number went down below 5. This was a difficult time and I thought the nurse could have checked my record before making the comment she did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Great care! Doctors are sympathetic and sensitive and nurses are skilled and great at managing patient concerns and questions. I have felt supported at each stage of the process by our clinic. I have enjoyed the professionalism and overall great atmosphere of my visits. It’s a busy place, which can create stress and long waits for patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility.
Our insurance coverage was good, so we paid for PGT testing ($4500) and $20 co-pays for appointments
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
An appointment was not scheduled at the time that the front desk staff had communicated it would be.

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
IUI out of pocket was ~$1600...Too busy, especially the financial department. They have an efficient process which is nice, but it is impersonal and the wait time can be really bad (over 45 mins on several occasions). Their office is lovely and their technology seems very up to date. Many of the actual providers are very kind, especially the nurses and front office staff..
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Doyle was warm, compassionate, and nonjudgmental. He was a good listener and never made me feel rushed or pressured to make a decision. He followed up with me on a concern I expressed after hours one time too. He clearly relies heavily on his nurses and NPs to do the majority of the actual direct procedures, and he just handled consultations and approving the course of treatment. So over-all high quality provider with low quantity of actual interactions. I definitely appreciate working with him though and would recommend him to others, especially if they are going to be seen at Shady Grove Fertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions- he’s great at explaining things and giving answers, but he doesn’t necessarily talk a lot about things unless you ask for specifics. The nurse gives more of the details.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Although the clinic over-all makes me feel like a number, whenever I’ve met or spoken directly with Dr. Doyle, he is very kind, affable, and never seemed rushed or dismissive. He’s matter of fact but still willing to explain things to me and answer my questions in a detailed way when I want/need him to. One time he even called me back after hours to talk to me about my misgivings from recommendations by the weekend doctor and nurse.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Ovidrel + IUI + monitoring of bloodwork & ultrasound x1 cycle resulted in 1 mature follicle, no pregnancy 5 pills of 2.5 letrozole, ovidrel + monitoring of bloodwork and IUI with donor sperm x1 cycle for PCOS - 2 mature follicles, no pregnancy 5 pills of 5 letrozole, ovidrel + monitoring of bloodwork & IUI with donor sperm x2 cycles for PCOS- resulted in 2 mature follicles and one mature follicle before IUI was scheduled Told me that with our next cycle we can do 5 pills of 7 mg letrozole for PCOS -
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Marina)
Organized but busy. Answered my questions whenever I had them, but I don’t know that she knew me without looking at my chart.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Too busy, especially the financial department. They have an efficient process which is nice, but it is impersonal and the wait time can be reallllllyyy bad (over 45 mins on several occasions). Their office is lovely and their technology seems very up to date. Many of the actual providers are very kind, especially the nurses and front office staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered the consult with just a copay, but IUI out of pocket was ~$1600
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One time it was difficult to get the right prescription sent to the pharmacy.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Bromer understands there’s more to infertility and every patient is different. He sees me as a person, not just lab numbers, and treats me with care and respect...He seems to understand how challenging and stressful this is, so he presents all the information up front and made me aware of all my options and the chances of it working realistically. No false hope, but he’s kind about it, and willing to work with the patient
The entire staff at SGF is beyond kind. They all understand this is an emotional and stressful situation and they make me feel valued and respected. They’ve listened to fears and concerns with patience. They’re exceptional to me...If you’re within a driving distance of a few hours, it’s worth using them. Compared to other clinics and doctors I’ve seem, SGF’s approach seems to be treating an individual compared with treating a “diagnosis.”
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer looked over my entire medical history, not just the lab numbers. Fertility science is constantly changing and he seems understanding of that, whereas other doctors I’ve had historically are inflexible. Dr. Bromer is honest and direct while being caring. He seems to understand how challenging and stressful this is, so he presents all the information up front and made me aware of all my options and the chances of it working realistically. No false hope, but he’s kind about it, and willing to work with the patient. I have the utmost respect for him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
See him. You won’t regret it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I will be using an IVF cycle with a sperm donor. The amount and types of medications will be closely monitored dependent on my body’s response to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Previously my only complaint would’ve been access to Shady Grove clinics, but as they’re spreading and opening new locations, it’s no longer a concern. If you’re within a driving distance of a few hours, it’s worth using them. Compared to other clinics and doctors I’ve seem, SGF’s approach seems to be treating an individual compared with treating a “diagnosis.” A friend recommended them to me after bad experiences at other clinics and I’m so grateful she did.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
There are several treatment options with different costs associated, including shared responsibility, income based discounts, and the one I used- military discounts.
Jason Bromer
Frederick

2019 - 2022, Successful
She [Dr. Esposito] was extremely compassionate. Very willing to take the time to talk to me about all of my concerns. Allowed me to ask questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for any of the questions I asked...For my egg retrieval I was on menopeur, and gonal F. It yielded 15 eggs, 11 fertilized and 4 made it to day 5/6 with 2 testing genetically normal through PGT-A testing. For my first transfer I was on estrogen and 5 days of PIO prior to the transfer. For my second transfer, after an ERA cycle adjustments were made to my protocol.
My nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was always willing to answer my questions. She was available by both phone and the portal. She made sure I understood everything completely and would review multiple times to make sure I understood...At times the office was difficult to get ahold of by phone. The front desk staff at times was not very welcoming. As a whole the clinic is very organized and extremely responsive. I would want a new patient to know that it’s ok to be persistent. That you must advocate for yourself not only with your doctor and clinical care team but at times with the front desk staff in regards to scheduling appointments.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
There was never a time where I didn’t feel heard or seen as a patient. Dr. Esposito was always understanding of my concerns and hesitations. She took the time to explain to me anything I had Questions about. After learning my son was born 14 weeks prematurely she made sure to check in to see how he was doing and has continued to check in on him. She truly cares about her patients and wants them to be successful in their treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go in with an open mind. Be open to hearing your options and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was extremely compassionate. Very willing to take the time to talk to me about all of my concerns. Allowed me to ask questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for any of the questions I asked
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Klock)
My nurse was always willing to answer my questions. She was available by both phone and the portal. She made sure I understood everything completely and would review multiple times to make sure I understood.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were always scheduled for the morning, I never felt like just a number. I always felt like my time was valued and respected.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility.
Roughly $30,000 including costs of medication
Melissa Esposito
Columbia

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Andrea Reh] did not review my records before the appointments, and it felt like she does not remember any information pertaining to my previous treatment under her supervision...I wanted to see a different provider in Shady Grove Fertility, but it would have added two more months of waiting...During 6 months of treatment, I saw her only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult). The rest of the communication with Dr. was done through the nurse.
I really liked that SGF has multiple locations and early morning monitoring appointments which provided great flexibility. Scheduling is very easy. They are quick in responding to most of the questions via the patient portal. All communication on your treatment is done through the nurse...During 6 months of treatment, I saw [Dr. Reh] only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult).
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wanted to see a different provider in Shady Grove Fertility, but it would have added two more months of waiting for my initial consult so I agreed to proceed with Dr. Reh. During 6 months of treatment, I saw her only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult). The rest of the communication with Dr. was done through the nurse. I did not feel I got sufficient explanations of why specific treatment was chosen based on my situation (e.g. natural vs. medicated IUI, choice of specific protocol). I felt part of the problem was that she did not review my records before the appointment, so she did to have any specific suggestions on my treatment during our conversations. I was receiving written recommendations on my treatment only after my appointment with Dr. Reh which made it more difficult to ask questions. She also did not seem caring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Try to do your own research on possible treatments and make a list of questions that you may have about it before the appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I did not feel any personal attitude from Dr. Reh's side. She did not review my records before the appointments, and it felt like she does not remember any information pertaining to my previous treatment under her supervision.
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did two IUIs using clomid, ovidrel and progesteron. I did not receive any rationale for why these medications were chosen for my cycle. I tolerated them well, and my response was also good, but both cycles failed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really liked that SGF has multiple locations and early morning monitoring appointments which provided great flexibility. Scheduling is very easy. They are quick in responding to most of the questions via the patient portal. All communication on your treatment is done through the nurse. She has been indeed wonderful, but I would have hoped to be able to ask Dr. questions directly and receive some explanations from her as well. I felt disappointed that IUIs (and most of the monitoring) are performed by nurces. The billing was not always consistent (I was billed in different ways for absolutely identical encounters.)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
Costs through our insurance: Initial consult $200 First IUI cycle $1200 Second IUI cycle $800 (had fewer monitoring appointments), plus meds.
Describe Andrea Reh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2020 - 2022, Successful
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Malik. From the very first appointment she outlined the options available to me and we created a game plan. When our initial plan did not work, we discussed a change in course and she listened to my concerns...Even though I did not see or speak to Dr. Malik every single time I was in the office for misc. appointments I always knew that my questions via the portal would be answered quickly...
Someone always answered the phones when I called which may sound minor but given my experience with other medical practices was a welcome change. Everyone was courteous and informed...The only weakness regarding the front desk staff is that I received inconsistent pricing for my IUI...Whenever she could, she would give me samples from the doctors office to help with costs. The duo of Dr. Malik and Patrice made this process easy.
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Malik. From the very first appointment she outlined the options available to me and we created a game plan. When our initial plan did not work, we discussed a change in course and she listened to my concerns. I had 2-3 virtual appointments with Dr. Malik. She called me after major milestones and conducted my egg transfer. I had no issues with the practice's set-up (i.e. most day-to-day communications occurring through nurses and inseminations occurring with NP/other physicians). Even though I did not see or speak to Dr. Malik every single time I was in the office for misc. appointments I always knew that my questions via the portal would be answered quickly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be honest with her about your wishes. She listens and will respond accordingly. If you don't tell her, she can't help you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
She always took the time to answer my questions which were plentiful and I never felt rushed through our appointments. She knew the facts of my case and I did not have to remind her about specifics.
Describe the protocols Shruti Malik used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I am a single mother by choice and my initial tests (Fall 2020) came back fine so we started out with unmedicated IUIs. I wanted to avoid pumping my body with meds if possible. I had planned on stopping the journey if I was unsuccessful after 3 IUIs. The second IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After the third IUI I re-evaluated my options with Dr. Malik and decided that I did in fact want to keep going. I even decided that I would attempt a 4th IUI. If that was unsuccessful then I would switch to IVF, which I did. With the first stim cycle the objective was to have me on the lowest level meds possible. Sadly, my body did not respond to the meds so the cycle had to be cancelled. I was an emotional wreck and knew I only had 1 more cycle in me. Thus, I asked that she max me out to the highest level of meds that was safe to give me the best chance. She agreed and we did that for the second stim cycle. My body did respond and we ended up with 3 embryos. 1 was transferred fresh and 2 other were frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Patrice Smith)
I adored Patrice. I had so many questions during the process that she promptly responded to. She had a great bedside manner. Even when her phone calls delivered bad news she would take her time to listen to me offer her insight on the process. When I transitioned to IVF I was concerned about the cost of the medications. Whenever she could, she would give me samples from the doctors office to help with costs. The duo of Dr. Malik and Patrice made this process easy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Someone always answered the phones when I called which may sound minor but given my experience with other medical practices was a welcome change. Everyone was courteous and informed. I enjoyed the fact that there were multiple offices I could visit based upon my schedule and availability. I split my time between Fair Oaks, which was opened Monday through Friday and handled my monitoring appointments, and Fairfax, which was opened on the weekends and handled inseminations/IVF procedures. I received the same high level of care at both offices. The only weakness regarding the front desk staff is that I received inconsistent pricing for my IUI. I had to pay out of pocket and it seemed like the staff was not used to this, thus I would be quoted between $200 - $250. I would just budget $250 and if it was less it would be a bonus to me. The finance department had some weakness as well. They were a bit slow to respond (compared to the speed of the nurses) and sometimes their explanations were unclear. However, I had heard that same complaint from others before I began working with the finance department so knowing that was the case I stayed on top of them. In the end, that weakness was insignificant to me in the grand scheme of things.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility.
$200-$250 per IUI $20K IVF procedure $7-10K IVF meds
Describe Shruti Malik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Malik's position was that it best to transfer one embryo at a time due to the medical risks associated with multiples pregnancy. I was fine with this as I had no desire to have multiples.
Shruti Malik

2019 - 2021, Successful
I got the sense that the nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] were extremely busy and did not have a lot of time to go over protocols, results, updates, etc. While I felt that they did their best to be responsive, sometimes the information they were conveying was unclear and it was like playing phone tag with the doctor. A few were compassionate but with others it felt like they were trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I believe Dr. Widra is very experienced, but I did not feel that my treatment protocol was particularly individualized and he did not have any interest in trying to uncover what could be causing infertility/miscarriage. As a result, I had several concerns with my treatment protocols that he did not address and our outcomes were different from what he had led us to expect. He also very rarely communicated directly with us and almost all interactions were handled by his nurses. I also felt that because we were likely to have a positive outcome eventually, my case was not prioritized and my treatment timeline was longer than necessary.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask as many questions as possible, and if something he says does not feel right, don't be afraid to raise it. I felt that he was not comfortable with having his treatment protocols questioned, but he was willing to explain his reasoning or make changes if you were persistent.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra is not very personable and does not get to know his patients. Throughout 2 years of seeing him we only had a few visits and he always repeated the same standard talking points. When I had my second miscarriage he called me but was clearly unfamiliar with my case notes and didn't realize it was my second. However, he was fairly responsive and answered our direct questions.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did two medicated cycles with letrozole and timed intercourse that were unsuccessful. At the time, Dr. Widra thought I could have PCOS and it was unclear whether IUI would make a difference. Later, our diagnosis was "unexplained" and we did an IUI with letrozole that led to a pregnancy and miscarriage due to a chromosomal abnormality. This was my second miscarriage and at that point we asked to go to IVF with genetic testing. Dr. Widra agreed this would likely be the most efficient treatment. For my first cycle I was on fairly low doses of gonal-F and Menopur because he still thought I could have PCOS, but I ended up getting a fairly low number of eggs. We did a freeze-all cycle with PGT-A testing. After the retrieval we were encouraged to do a FET immediately, even though we had been very clear that we wanted to bank embryos for future pregnancies and we did not have enough embryos to achieve that. We ended up doing a second egg retrieval with higher levels of gonal-F and Menopur, which led to more eggs being retrieved but fewer making it to the blastocyst stage. The successful embryos were frozen and underwent PGT-A testing, and then we proceeded with a medicated FET that was successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I got the sense that the nursing staff were extremely busy and did not have a lot of time to go over protocols, results, updates, etc. While I felt that they did their best to be responsive, sometimes the information they were conveying was unclear and it was like playing phone tag with the doctor. A few were compassionate but with others it felt like they were trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I chose this clinic because it had the best outcomes in the area by far. The lab seemed very well-run and overall, my treatments were organized. The physicians and the nursing teams were underwhelming and the only reason I stayed with this clinic was because of the outcome metrics.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
My health insurance (Cigna, employer sponsored plan) covered all infertility treatment up to $25K after the deductible was met. Without insurance, the cost of each round of treatment without medications would have been between $15-18K. The clinic also offers shared risk and special rates for multiple rounds of IVF, including a refund if you do not have success.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Widra had a strong preference for eSET, and we agreed. He said that particularly since we were doing an FET with tested embryos that eSET was the best option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were very clear that we wanted to bank a certain number of embryos for future pregnancies. Our doctor felt that we could easily achieve this number with one egg retrieval, but that was not the case. Unfortunately, even though we told the doctor and the nursing team several times that we wanted to do another retrieval, they still proceeded as though we were going straight to transfer and pressured us into doing an FET right away. We were also started on a treatment protocol they said could be for a retrieval, but when we refused to do an FET we were told we couldn't do a retrieval and ended up having to wait an extra two months because of the inappropriate protocol and then lab closures for holidays. Everyone was extremely defensive about this and refused to apologize for the delays or try to move up the timeline. We were also told frequently that because of our age we had "plenty of time" so the delays were not a big deal. The only offer they made during this time was to let us switch to a different doctor, but said this would further delay our timeline.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
I felt the doctor [Dr. Eric Widra] was honest, and straight forward. I wish that there was more focus on ensuring the patient understood the process, and more hand holding...He was straight forward and direct. I felt like i could ask questions that i had and would get an answer. He is personable. I liked that we were able to access him as needed, and could get on his calendar for check ins. He's not overly verbose. I would have liked to be more informed around why he's making the decisions he is making as it pertained to protocol decisions.
[Shady Grove Fertility] Strength: Convenient location; broad network of doctors; decent sart/cdc stats Weakness: Patient needs to stay on top of every item to make sure nothing slips through the cracks - validate prescription, validate doses, ensure financial packages offered match to what the doctor advised (for us we had hiccups with this), validate costs and contract fine print, etc. Going through IVF is akin to having a part time job
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask direct questions. Communicate your overall family planning needs
I felt the doctor was honest, and straight forward. I wish that there was more focus on ensuring the patient understood the process, and more hand holding throughout the process by either the Dr, the Nurses or even a separate support staff.
Antagonist with Birth Control Pill priming x2 Antagonist with Estrogen Patch/Cetrotide priming x1 rational is unclear that wasn't discussed with me. We switched to Estrogen Patch to to belief that BCP might have been suppressing me
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: 3 different nurses)
Generally compassionate, but to the point. Not a lot of hand holding or time taken to really make sure it was understood. In general, questions were answered as asked. But information isn't 'pushed' to the patient. I mostly relied on Reddit to learn about the process, and what i need to ask in order to advocate for myself
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$25.6K USD - 2 cycle freeze all embryo banking w/ PGT-A testing $29K Shared Risk program, subsequent refund received due to lack of results
none
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The approach our doctor was advising, is not what the financial team presented. We found out 1 business day before our payment was due, that the package and contract we were about to sign, does not support the treatment plan the doctor recommended. This resulted in unnecessary stress and last minute decisions around how to proceed. With financial impacts.
2020 - 2021, Successful
[Dr. Li] is an expert, but she is also very compassionate. She cares about her patients like her own family, not some cold numbers on the balance sheet. We had one failed transfer, but she encouraged me, adjusted the whole protocol, and was on top of each procedure. I respect her opinion and trust her judgement and professionalism...I was advised to do eSET because I had a high-risk pregnancy before.
The monitoring appointments are generally easy to schedule and on time. Occasionally it runs late...[our nurse] is a clear communicator, and you know she cares about you. We never had any issues working together...I think Shady Grove Fertility has great facility, doctors and nurses. The only weakness they have is the financial team and billing team. I wasn't happy with them. They made a lot of mistakes in my case.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend Dr Nair to any close friends or relatives. She is an expert, but she is also very compassionate. She cares about her patients like her own family, not some cold numbers on the balance sheet. We had one failed transfer, but she encouraged me, adjusted the whole protocol, and was on top of each procedure. I respect her opinion and trust her judgement and professionalism. I finally got pregnant under her care after almost four years of trying. My husband and I thank her with our whole heart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you are looking for a down to the earth, no fluffy and compassionate doctor with great expertise, she is your doctor to go.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Nair is very compassionate with her doctor. You can feel it when talking to her.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was put on antibiotics to repress my immunity before transfer. She also used Lovenox to help with implantation. I think these two things finally helped me conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lana)
I love my nurse Lana. She is the best. She is a clear communicator, and you know she cares about you. We never had any issues working together.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered main costs, but I still paid about $12,000 including treatment and medication.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was advised to do eSET because I had a high-risk pregnancy before.
Sandy Li

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Reh is friendly and to the point. She does not dilly dally. She provided optimism in my fertility journey...I underwent 3 cycles of IUI. First with clomid, the following 2 cycles were w/ letrozole. I also used vaginal progesterone and estrogen. The 1st 2 cycles failed. Then prior to initiating a 3rd cycle, my thyroid studies were abnormal so I was referred to an endocrinologist and started on levothyroxine. My 3rd IUI was successful...
For me, the hours of operation [at Shady Grove Fertility] are important. I was able to undergo fertility treatments without missing any days of work. The flexible hours and minimal/or no wait times are huge bonuses to a successful medical practice...The nursing staff was excellent, communicated well and in a timely manor. The nurses are definitely the glue that keeps this practice running as efficiently as it does...$1800 for each IUI cycle and everything done within that cycle (ultrasounds, blood work).
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh is friendly and to the point. She does not dilly dally. She provided optimism in my fertility journey. I trusted her in my care. I had also heard excellent things about her from other patients/my personal friends.
She will do whatever it takes to get you pregnant and I would trust her advice even if you think it will never happen.
I felt like the staff cared about me and communicated regularly. I did not feel like a number.
I underwent 3 cycles of IUI. First with clomid, the following 2 cycles were w/ letrozole. I also used vaginal progesterone and estrogen. The 1st 2 cycles failed. Then prior to initiating a 3rd cycle, my thyroid studies were abnormal so I was referred to an endocrinologist and started on levothyroxine. My 3rd IUI was successful. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and hopeful this will be a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
For me, the hours of operation are important. I was able to undergo fertility treatments without missing any days of work. The flexible hours and minimal/or no wait times are huge bonuses to a successful medical practice.
$1800 for each IUI cycle and everything done within that cycle (ultrasounds, blood work). I had to pay out of pocket for medications/whatever my insurance didn't cover. Seemed like reasonable pricing.

2020 - 2021, Successful
He [Dr. Yazigi] was warm, took the time to listen to me and was straight forward...He is retired and not seeing patients - advice for future patient of shady grove is to not hold back on asking questions!..The nurses had very good communication with me and got back to me quickly with answers to any questions I had...
She [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] communicated mainly through the portal but got back to me within a few hours and made it easy to talk to her, like a friend...The nurses had very good communication with me and got back to me quickly with answers to any questions I had...They worked well with scheduling and getting tests done fast even in the prime of covid. When I got pregnant, all the staff was overly excited and happy for me...
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The nurses had very good communication with me and got back to me quickly with answers to any questions I had. Dr. Yazigi said from the beginning that his goal was the same as mine and that was to get me pregnant ASAP!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was warm, took the time to listen to me and was straight forward
Describe the protocols Ricardo Yazigi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We ruled all medical problems out. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility with hypothyroidism. We were going to try IUI but I was able to get pregnant the cycle before
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
She communicated mainly through the portal but got back to me within a few hours and made it easy to talk to her, like a friend
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They worked well with scheduling and getting tests done fast even in the prime of covid. When I got pregnant, all the staff was overly excited and happy for me, including non medical staff when they heard I “ graduated” they even followed up after to see if I had a successful pregnancy
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered a great amount. I now live in a new state where there is no fertility coverage
Ricardo Yazigi (retired)

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Reh took the time to call us when we didn't have an appointment and discuss our questions at no additional charge...Dr. Reh recommended an ERA prior to transfer...That ERA showed that we needed 11 hours less progesterone and we made that adjustment for the frozen embryo transfer...she is busy and she may not see you personally at each appointment. That does not mean that she isn't checking your records and communicating with the staff....
Lana was our nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] and we could not possibly say enough wonderful things about her. I received portal messages consistently within hours of messaging. She would call if she thought my question was better answered by talking - even if no actual information needed to be imparted, just reassurance...Financial counselors are assigned to specific physicians, so when selecting a doctor at Shady Grove, you should also ask about their nursing and financial staff because those are the people that will affect your experience 80% of the time.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
We did not see Dr. Reh personally many times. I met her in person twice - once for a saline sonogram and once for our final ultrasound. However, we had a virtual consult and several phone calls to discuss our options and treatment plan. I know some might have a problem with not seeing their doctor personally for every appointment, but I never felt like there was any lost information or miscommunication. Her treatment plan as described was being carried out every time.
Be able to discuss your history in detail during the consult. She had not reviewed my records in detail, but once I explained our background in about 10 minutes of our 60 minute consult, she was able to talk to us about our previous cycles. Just understand that she is busy and she may not see you personally at each appointment. That does not mean that she isn't checking your records and communicating with the staff.
Dr. Reh took the time to call us when we didn't have an appointment and discuss our questions at no additional charge. Although we had additional embryos for use at another location (which we couldn't access due to COVID), she said she was going to treat us like we only had one. She recommended an ERA - something our previous clinic didn't advise, but we were interested in.
We came to Dr. Reh's office following treatment at 2 other clinics. We left the first clinic due to a move and the second clinic shut down because of a lab accident. We had one Day 6 tested embryo available to us to use for a frozen transfer. Dr. Reh recommended an ERA prior to transfer, which our previous clinic did not support until at least two failed transfers. That ERA showed that we needed 11 hours less progesterone and we made that adjustment for the frozen embryo transfer. I obviously do not know what would have happened had we not done that ERA, but our first transfer was successful and we are currently pregnant with identical twins. We are certainly very satisfied with the outcome.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lana Truong)
Lana was our nurse and we could not possibly say enough wonderful things about her. I received portal messages consistently within hours of messaging. She would call if she thought my question was better answered by talking - even if no actual information needed to be imparted, just reassurance. She always remembered how we prefer communication depending on the day. The most important thing she did was adjust our Frozen Embryo Transfer on the fly. We had a thyroid test come back too high, and I was uncomfortable with proceeding with transfer assuming that a medication adjustment would make it alright to transfer in time. She changed everything within 15 minutes of our baseline appointment and set up a new transfer in 20 minutes with minimal delay to our transfer and no cancellation or change charges to us. Our experience with Lana is the biggest reason that we continue to recommend Shady Grove to friends seeking fertility care.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Our financial coordinator Melissa was also a critical part of our positive experience at Shady Grove. Melissa actually worked with our insurance company directly and ensured that we did not pay one cent outside the global fee for the transfer - and we have a very frustrating insurance provider. We never waited more than a few hours for a response and she often replied to me after business hours. Shady Grove has multiple clinics across the country. I would say that a weakness is that you can never guarantee you will have your personal reproductive endocrinologist at any given appointment, including egg retrievals or transfers if that matters to you. That means that you really have to be comfortable seeing many different people. While we didn't experience this personally, there are too many people who struggle with their financial counselors and it seems like systemic failing in their system overall. Financial counselors are assigned to specific physicians, so when selecting a doctor at Shady Grove, you should also ask about their nursing and financial staff because those are the people that will affect your experience 80% of the time.
We paid for the Global Frozen Embryo Transfer Fee with the Military Discount. It was $3910 and insurance covered all medications. That was the only thing we paid. Our financial counselor let us know that Shady Grove was raising their prices in a few days and advised us to pay early, which saved us several hundred dollars.
We did not have multiple embryos to transfer, so this was not an option for us.

Embryo Freezing
3 cycles with different protocols [with Dr. Reh]. The last one was able to produce successful PGS tested embryos...Many of my appts were with her rather than another team member. She treated my case as unique and answered questions thoroughly...She took my requests and ideas into consideration and I felt I could collaborate on my treatment...genuinely cared about my treatment and outcome.
She [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] was so invested that I felt like we were going through this journey together. She was knowledgeable, communicative, personable...SGF Arlington is full of friendly staff from the front desk to the phlebotomists to the nurses and providers. SGF Fairfax is convenient but too big to feel like family. They also seemed to have higher turnover because I rarely saw the same staff members and they seemed less personal. I appreciated the convenience and weekend appts at fairfax though.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Reh is genuine, approachable and knowledgeable. I highly recommend her. She saw me for most of my appts and gave me clear expectations of the plan for treatment. She took my requests and ideas into consideration and I felt I could collaborate on my treatment.
Start sooner than later with IVF and go with Dr Rey because she knows her stuff!
Dr Rey genuinely cared about my treatment and outcome. Many of my appts were with her rather than another team member. She treated my case as unique and answered questions thoroughly.
3 cycles with different protocols. The last one was able to produce successful PGS tested embryos
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Westin)
I LOVED Ashley. She was so invested that I felt like we were going through this journey together. She was knowledgeable, communicative, personable and went above and beyond to meet my needs every single time!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Treatment was costly as it is for most infertility treatment but it was worth it and the clinic was professional with smooth communication through the portal.
Arlington

Dr Doyle is smart, well informed, kind, and shares plenty of information. He was with us from step one, always encouraging us that we'd have great chances at a pregnancy. Even when we encountered setbacks, he explained them well and helped us chart next steps...We tried two IUIs, one with clomid and one with letrazole. I had a bad reaction to the clomid, so Dr. Doyle changed it up after our first failed procedure. We also found other issues along the way, and did two polyp removal surgeries. While initially we weren't certain if IVF would be necessary, as we continued to find polyps, Dr Doyle supported our plan of moving to IVF after just two cycles of IUI, and we got pregnant on that first transfer (plus we have many PGS tested embryos ready to go if we want to give this baby a sibling).
The nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] was fine. All messages were answered in a timely manner, though sometimes questions needed to be asked more than once. I did feel like they were rooting us along, but maybe that they were overworked...We didn't always know how we'd get (negative) results, and sometimes got them via phone vs via portal message. It wasn't a big deal, but would be helpful to know what to expect...We didn't find billing to be incredibly transparent but that wasn't a huge issue for us.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Doyle is smart, well informed, kind, and shares plenty of information. He was with us from step one, always encouraging us that we'd have great chances at a pregnancy. Even when we encountered setbacks, he explained them well and helped us chart next steps. I can't be more grateful that we got Dr Doyle as a doctor, and genuinely believe our success was thanks to him.
Know that he will be there with you through the ups and downs, and don't be afraid to share with him if things outside of your treatment are impacting how you're feeling or how anxious you are. He wants to know, and will treat you and your partner with compassion.
Dr Doyle was fantastic. Even at a large practice, he managed to attend every single one of my procedures, and even called me to check in when I'd had more pain than anticipated. He knew me by name, and would warmly greet me any time he saw me (even if I was just seeing a nurse that day). He nearly cried when we got our positive result, and can't wait to meet our baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Concetta)
The nursing staff was fine. All messages were answered in a timely manner, though sometimes questions needed to be asked more than once. I did feel like they were rooting us along, but maybe that they were overworked.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We had a great experience with Shady Grove Fertility. We found that being a large practice meant it was easy to get appointments, schedule necessary surgeries, and get questions answered 24/7. We do feel like we lucked out on Dr Doyle, since we had such a great personal relationship with him, but don't doubt we would have gotten good care with another provider.
We're still waiting to see - we had some insurance coverage but some things were out of pocket, so we need to figure out our final bill. We didn't find billing to be incredibly transparent but that wasn't a huge issue for us.
Our doctor was quite clear that with our ages and lack of issues, a single transfer was the only good option, and we agreed with him on that assessment.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Browne has always been the best choice for a fertility doctor for me and my husband. She truly is knowledgeable, kind and trustworthy. She is science and compassion rolled into one. I would definitely recommend her to anyone seeking fertility treatment. ... Dr. Browne is understanding and takes time with her patients. ... After initial testing I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and given the go ahead to keep trying naturally for another 3-6 months.
How was your experience with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be open about your feelings and hesitations. Ask a lot of questions because she is willing to answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Browne is understanding and takes time with her patients. Anytime I’ve had to talk with her or her nurse I have never felt pressured or rushed. She explains things and let’s patients talk about concerns, research they have read about and answer any and all questions you might have.
Describe the protocols Paulette Browne used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
After trying for 6 months my husband and I got a recommendation from our primary care doctor for Shady Grove. Having no idea what to expect when we called we were asked if we had a preference for which doctor we wanted and we did not. I feel we truly lucked out on getting Dr. Browne. After initial testing I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility and given the go ahead to keep trying naturally for another 3-6 months. After one very early miscarriage we started on Clomid through my regular OBGYN and without any monitoring. We did this for a few months and nothing happened. Once off of Clomid we contacted Dr. Browne to try IUIs. Right before we were set to start I had a chemical pregnancy confirmed. The next month we started IUIs and Dr. Browne was nothing but helpful throughout the process. I saw her for every monitoring appointment with the nurse. We tried four rounds of IUIs with two different doses of clomid, a round with Letrozole and then a round with both Clomid and Gonal (injectables). Only once with the higher dose Clomid did we get two follicles to respond. At this point we went for more testing showing my AMH and FSH levels were showing signs of diminished ovarian reserve and poor egg quality. Which was what they thought was resulting it early pregnancy losses. After the last IUI cycle we decided we needed a break and took a couple months off. Two months later we ended up pregnant again only to have another early loss. With no insurance coverage for IVF we stopped all fertility treatments for a little over a year. Then just a few months ago decided (with the help of family) to begin IVF using the multicycle discount (I no longer qualified for shared risk due to my levels). I went on birth control for two weeks and then I started on Menopur 150 IUs and Gonal 300 IUs. After three days of that dose they upped my gonal to 450 IUs. I did this dosing for 12 days (added in Cetrotide at day 11). However, due to my response to meds, my levels showing I ovulated and the current COVID 19 crisis my cycle was cancelled after 12 days of stims. Doctor Browne called me personally to apologize and explained everything to me. Then within the hour her nurse also called to check on me to see if I had any follow up questions. They also told me that they had some medication donations as well as different protocol for whenever the next cycle begins. (Switching from antagonist protocol to a flair protocol). They are hopeful that with my AMH and FSH levels this will result in me being able to actual make it to the retrieval stage. At this point it’s just a waiting to game for my period to start again so I can begin my next cycle.
I love Patrice! Warm, kind, funny, understanding and most importantly patient. She takes her time with patients and is just one of the most calming people I know.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is the best. Everyone is kind that I have interacted with from the front desk to phlebotomists. The ultra sound technicians are kind and upbeat as well. The entire staff at any Shady Grove office I’ve been to has been professional and knowledgeable. They will always say good luck as you leave and even though it’s a small gesture it makes you feel like they are truly rooting for you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paulette Browne at Shady Grove Fertility.
$18,500 for two round of IVF which included all monitoring appts, two retrievals but unlimited transfers. Medication was separate cost.
Describe Paulette Browne's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Paulette Browne

2018 - 2020, Successful
Dr. Li has been positive and kind from the beginning...The overall strategy was what came from my baseline and test of bloodwork. I believe my baseline for estrogen is not high enough so I was on Menopur 75 which moved up to 150 on the 7th or 8th day, Gonal stayed at 250 both retrieval’s. For my second retrieval Menopur went up to 150 right away...
My monitoring appointments [at SGF] are always consistent I know what to expect and know I will always get my results within a few hours of the appointment...Always welcoming, efficient and professional. I love the Rockville office more than the DC, and Arlington not because of the people but it’s bigger and feels like a safe haven...Global package IVF #1 $8,000 Storage $1,800 last year fee plus $35 every month FET #1 $4,600 Shared risk program IVF #2 $20,000 Medication total $5,000
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Doctor to patient I would love to see her face to face more. I think in a total 2.5 years we have seen her 3 times. I haven’t seen her yet this year and I’ve done a IVF cycle, retrieval and ERA with transfer approaching. I understand with covid-19 now but I don’t think we met up her her face to face last year either. Would love more of that.
To compile all questions and concerns up front in your consultation because even though Dr. Li has a team of nurses it’s always better to hear your concerns coming straight from your doctor.
Dr. Li has been positive and kind from the beginning. Even with her positivity she tells it how it is in her soft sweet voice. It’s comforting and encouraging to know she really does care about us as soon to be parents (one day) and just as hopeful as we are to create a family.
The overall strategy was what came from my baseline and test of bloodwork. I believe my baseline for estrogen is not high enough so I was on Menopur 75 which moved up to 150 on the 7th or 8th day, Gonal stayed at 250 both retrieval’s. For my second retrieval Menopur went up to 150 right away (maybe on day 3) this was successful I believe because we got 17 eggs, 15 mature. Whereas first cycle was 12 eggs, 9 mature. My protocol for my second IVF was to do a ERA and PGS testing since we had 2 failed transfers on good lookin embryos. Waiting on ERA results and PGS testing gave us all 5 genetically normal embryos. So happy and would say my protocol has been successful.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenny Wang, Priscllia, Alana)
I had Jenny Wang for 2 years, she was incredible and always on top of it. She left, and now I have a team of 3, I honestly don’t like it that much now I feel like a number because I don’t know who I’m talking to or who will reply. And even though there are 3 this cycle has felt less organized than when Jenny was my only nurse. They are nice and I’m not trying to complain about them they do there job but like I said I’m a number now.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are amazing as a whole. No complaints. Always welcoming, efficient and professional. I love the Rockville office more than the DC, and Arlington not because of the people but it’s bigger and feels like a safe haven. I could be bias though because that was were I started and now I live in Virginia so Fairfax or Arlington is closer. All are great.
My monitoring appointments are always consistent I know what to expect and know I will always get my results within a few hours of the appointment.
No I completely understand, I’m under 35 I know the risk.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
A few times I had an appointment and they didn’t see. Which resulted in me waiting a couple times over 45 mins.
Sandy Li
Rockville

I saw Dr. Sagoskin once to consult on my treatment plan. Then I was assigned a nurse, which acts a go between for you and the doctor, but my nurse changed multiple times...We were told the consultation would take 30 minutes, but we probably were with him for 10 minutes...He gave us a diagnosis of unexplained infertility and recommended an IUI treatment cycle for three months. I was hesitant and wanted to try timed intercourse with the fertility drugs first, which he agreed to.
SGF definitely has a lot of experience treating infertility, as evidenced from the always crowded waiting rooms at the clinic. And while your treatment plan may be personalized, you shouldn't expect to get a lot of personal attention, as you see and communicate with different doctors and nurses during and between each appointment...Despite these shortcomings, I got the result I wanted and am now 10 weeks pregnant, and I know other women who have also had successful pregnancies as a result of treatment at SGF.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Our initial consult with Dr. Sagoskin was the only time we saw him. He gave us a diagnosis of unexplained infertility and recommended an IUI treatment cycle for three months. I was hesitant and wanted to try timed intercourse with the fertility drugs first, which he agreed to. We ended up switching to his original IUI plan during the next cycle. We were told the consultation would take 30 minutes, but we probably were with him for 10 minutes.
SGF felt like a factory. I saw Dr. Sagoskin once to consult on my treatment plan. Then I was assigned a nurse, which acts a go between for you and the doctor, but my nurse changed multiple times. And while the factory produced effective results, it wasn't always efficient (i.e. scheduling problems, long wait times). My husband was also diagnosed with a pituitary tumor during our treatment at SGF, which is why I decided to switch from timed intercourse (with fertility drugs) to IUI, but not once did the doctor or nurse ask how he was doing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Leah/Allyson/Priscilla)
Something happened to the first nurse I was assigned to. I was handed off to a new nurse and then later handed off again to another nurse. They usually answered my email questions or provided after visit instructions after appointments via the phone during the week, but during the weekend or sometimes even during the week, I would end up getting instructions from completely different nurses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF definitely has a lot of experience treating infertility, as evidenced from the always crowded waiting rooms at the clinic. And while your treatment plan may be personalized, you shouldn't expect to get a lot of personal attention, as you see and communicate with different doctors and nurses during and between each appointment. Have patience and ask for payment receipts as their front desk seems to be switching between payment and scheduling systems. Don't feel pressured to pay your account balance when you check out before receiving an itemized bill -- I was asked to do this several times and got annoyed not knowing what treatments/tests I was being asked to pay for. Despite these shortcomings, I got the result I wanted and am now 10 weeks pregnant, and I know other women who have also had successful pregnancies as a result of treatment at SGF.
My insurance (Kaiser) was able to adjust the below prices and covered 50% of my treatments, except the OB ultrasounds. SGF applied a self-pay discount for these. I got my fertility drugs from a combination of the Kaiser pharmacy and RARX pharmacy for about $100 each cycle; the latter was recommended by SGF. IUI: $360 OB ultrasound: $230 Regular transvaginal ultrasound: $215 Blood draws: $15 Blood tests: $65-90 Initial consult: $160
Rockville
Dr Khan is a straight shooter and that’s what I wanted. For me, being human is being realistic and well informed. Dr Khan is both. I don’t need to be best friends with my RE - I want a baby and to move on with my life. ... Dr Khan is on top of the latest science and was very hands on as we selected our egg donor. I felt I could ask about my protocol and he would get back to me with his rationale in making certain decisions. I felt the coordination level between SGF offices was high. I never had any issues or confusion. Dr Khan is detail oriented and will be realistic about your prognosis.
I had zero issues - everything had been straight forward so far. From the finance team to my primary clinic to the clinic I went to for transfer — no issues. I was able to speak the embryologist on transfer day and see a photo of our embryo which I appreciated. ... I felt the coordination level between SGF offices was high. ... [nurses] Completely on the ball in every aspect. Always returned munch calls, helpful and educated.
How was your experience with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Khan is willing to spend time answering your questions and talking to you about different options. Be prepared with your thoughts and it will be a productive conversation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Naveed Khan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I am doing the shared risk egg donor program — we did 1:2 and anonymously shared the egg haul with another receipt(s). We got 12 mature eggs, 10 of which became blasts, 6 of which tested PGS normal. This is an incredible result so far. We got one blast in two retrievals with my own eggs. I am currently pregnant from our first transfer - although it is early.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christine )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Naveed Khan at Shady Grove Fertility.
We paid around $50k for all inclusive 1:2 shared risk program and PGS testing. Baby or money back.
Describe Naveed Khan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Non-issue. I only wanted to transfer one at a time so it wasn’t something discussed at length.
Naveed Khan
Leesburg

She [Dr. Devine] is extremely intelligent and cares for her patients, I have no doubt she's a leader in the field, but I do have some outstanding questions on how involved she was every step of the way...called me to discuss options and next steps and really wanted the best for me. The hard part is that she didn't perform any of the procedures and did most of the evaluation of my progress in the background, so I'm not entirely sure how involved she was. I also would have appreciated her educating us on all of our options earlier on and on how IVF works. You don't know the correct questions to even ask during the first couple of meetings.
SGF is a great, professional clinic. That said, it can feel very impersonal at times. I would insist on one nurse contact and to have your doctor perform procedures. I'm not sure that the doctors fully understood my unique situation...You must ask questions, do TONS of research early on, even if some of these treatments won't apply to you, it's important to know and ask about them...Kelsey [nurse] was fantastic. The hiccup occurred when Shady Grove moved to a shared nursing model midway through my treatment. Kelsey is the only nurse I know or met, so when other nurses call me (especially to deliver bad news), it just sounds like a stranger on the line. I would have had an even better experience if Kelsey had been the main point of contact all the way through. I would have felt more comfortable asking questions and feeling supported.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I can't answer this in full yet because I'm still undergoing treatment. She is extremely intelligent and cares for her patients, I have no doubt she's a leader in the field, but I do have some outstanding questions on how involved she was every step of the way.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be educated and ask questions up front. Ask questions and get specific answers and talk statistics.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine called me to discuss options and next steps and really wanted the best for me. The hard part is that she didn't perform any of the procedures and did most of the evaluation of my progress in the background, so I'm not entirely sure how involved she was. I also would have appreciated her educating us on all of our options earlier on and on how IVF works. You don't know the correct questions to even ask during the first couple of meetings.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specifics.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
Kelsey was fantastic. The hiccup occurred when Shady Grove moved to a shared nursing model midway through my treatment. Kelsey is the only nurse I know or met, so when other nurses call me (especially to deliver bad news), it just sounds like a stranger on the line. I would have had an even better experience if Kelsey had been the main point of contact all the way through. I would have felt more comfortable asking questions and feeling supported.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is a great, professional clinic. That said, it can feel very impersonal at times. I would insist on one nurse contact and to have your doctor perform procedures. I'm not sure that the doctors fully understood my unique situation. I can't fully answer since I'm still undergoing treatment. You must ask questions, do TONS of research early on, even if some of these treatments won't apply to you, it's important to know and ask about them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
it went through insurance, so i'm not sure of the negotiated rates.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Devine recommends SET, as does Shady Grove and we followed that guidance.
Kate Devine
Washington DC

We felt well guided under our care of Dr. Moon. She is frank, to the point and is usually quite clear in her prognosis and decision-making, though we had a bit of an oddball case (says everyone dealing with infertility)...took a Sunday call with us to sort through it and give us feedback on how we would approach it moving forward...29 eggs collected, 17 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst (1AB, 3AA). Transferred 4AB embryo, pregnant but likely will be ending in a miscarriage (hcg not rising appropriately on second blood draw).
I would've liked to have Dr. Moon at our retrieval and transfers but frankly, that's not how Shady Grove works and we understood that clearly before we began...29 eggs collected, 17 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst (1AB, 3AA)...Nothing specific went wrong, but there were a lot of monitoring appointments that weren't set and were just loosely scheduled, which is how this clinic works, for better or worse. I wish there were set monitoring times, I had 30-45 mins waits at the beginning of my IVF cycle for a blood draw which just is because there is an overload of folks scheduled at the exact same time. Too open-ended for scheduling, there really becomes no put to even schedule then.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
We felt well guided under our care of Dr. Moon. She is frank, to the point and is usually quite clear in her prognosis and decision-making, though we had a bit of an oddball case (says everyone dealing with infertility). I would've liked to have Dr. Moon at our retrieval and transfers but frankly, that's not how Shady Grove works and we understood that clearly before we began. I would like to see more clarity on communication with regard to the pandemic, the clinic, not necessarily Dr. Moon herself, waited a long time, gave unclear directives and made the experience much more unclear; we understand no one plans for this, but the clinic gave very little clarity on action plans for us when it all happened mid-transfer. It was really hard to deal with that uncertainty and I hope communication for Dr. Moon and others improves to reassure patients within each person's portfolio.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
No direct advice; continue to give each person time on the feedback calls; we really loved after our retrieval that we didn't receive the numbers we assumed would happen and Dr. Moon took a Sunday call with us to sort through it and give us feedback on how we would approach it moving forward!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Moon was clear in her protocol and treated us and our case with respect each time we met.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Antagonist protocol - Lupron not HCG to lessen risk of OHSS; stimmed for 11 days with Gonal-F, Menopur, and then Ganirelix/Cetrotide. 29 eggs collected, 17 mature, 7 fertilized, 4 made it to blastocyst (1AB, 3AA). Transferred 4AB embryo, pregnant but likely will be ending in a miscarriage (hcg not rising appropriately on second blood draw).
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
We came into our first cycle as changes were being made to the nursing staff. Therefore, we went from having one primary nurse we worked with to having a team of nurses that seemed to change quite a bit. I would advise there has to be some sort of communication by the clinic to change these things; people get attached, and rightfully so in a process like this and when changes to nursing teams are made, it can make things like communication change. I'd like to see Shady Grove be more forthright with this information before changes simply show up.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Clinic can feel like a conveyor belt; personalized care with a doctor, when seen by your doctor, is good but between starting my IVF cycle and likely ending this pregnancy in a miscarriage, I've talked directly to my doctor four times which when I really think about it, is pretty low for a 45 day span of invasive treatments. I think there is a lot of responsibility built into this that the nurses play which is great, however, with the recent switch to team nursing it really can be hard to feel "connected" to anyone at the practice. I hope that Shady Grove is able to balance this out and provide continuous personalized care to many but also still being clear on the quality aspect!
Yes, total cluster 45 min wait times for some days. Not the best way to start and there is then no point to providing monitoring appointments if it's first-come first serve open-ended whenever you want to show up!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
Covered by insurance
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2020, Consult
[Dr. Andrea Reh] made it clear that she may or may not be the doc to perform some procedures based on the day and timing of the cycle...She made recommendations but also allowed me to make my own informed decision. Due to having endometriosis and one blocked tube IVF is the preferred treatment...Following initial ultrasound she reported to her staff that I would have to take birth control for one month prior to proceeding. I just started Clomid cycle with Gonal f injection
Weakness [at Shady Grove Fertility]: financial services are helpful. I do not like that I don't receive an itemized bill of what I am actually spending money on SPECIFICALLY...Overall the entire SGF team at all locations work together for treatment...Staff are all phenomenal. Kind, personable, helpful. One nurse shared her own SGF story with me (she was a patient before becoming and employee)...It was explained that single embryo is preferred. I am not at this stage yet so we will see what happens in the future
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
At this time I have only met with Dr. Reh once for my consultation. She made recommendations but also allowed me to make my own informed decision. Due to having endometriosis and one blocked tube IVF is the preferred treatment. My insurance does not cover IVF so I decided to begin with IUI for a few cycles. Dr. Reh moved forward with my desired treatment. Following initial ultrasound she reported to her staff that I would have to take birth control for one month prior to proceeding. I just started Clomid cycle with Gonal f injection
Have all documents in order to present to her so that she can review them with you in the room. If she has questions she can ask. Make notes of your questions and ask them at the end...once she is finished talking
Dr. Reh was thorough and very matter of fact which is a quality I like. She presents as a little rehearsed in effort to ensure she gets all pertinent information out prior to allowing questions to be asked. My suggestion with her would be to take notes as she speaks and at the end seek clarification on details. She is open about the structure of SGF in that you will not likely meet with her after the consultation but she and her team are involved in monitoring the process closely. Dr Reh also made it clear that she may or may not be the doc to perform some procedures based on the day and timing of the cycle. Overall the entire SGF team at all locations work together for treatment
Initial ultrasound, one month of birth control, Clomid (5 days) and Gonal f injection plus trigger shot, IUI. I am currently still taking the Clomid
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Caitlin Herbert)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I appreciate them for remaining open during COVID 19 madness. They have taken measures to reduce number of people in clinic during monitoring hours. Weakness: financial services are helpful. I do not like that I don't receive an itemized bill of what I am actually spending money on SPECIFICALLY.
Kaiser insurance: thus far $377 for Rx, $450 for IUI, $30 office visit

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
While I know she [Dr. Kimberly Moon] knows who my husband and I are and preformed 2/3 of my egg retrievals, I also feel we're a number in that i don't feel like a lot of time and effort is being put in to figure out a creative way to mitigate our MFI and allow us to have another biological baby. After our failed IVF cycle in 2019, we were recommended to use 50% donor sperm on next cycle. I feel like there has to be other options out there.
Both [nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] showed compassion and answered my portal questions on the same day and with accuracy...Shared Risk for my age was $22,500.00 Multi-Cycle (2 cycles) was $18,500.00...There are many location options to visit. The Rockville surgery center is well decorated and relaxing and the staff there have always been great. I have been pleased with my retrieval experiences. Weaknesses - Not enough convenient weekend clinic options. Upper MD has Rockville, VA has Fairfax, DC has K Street, but those of us in Southern Maryland don't have anything and have to drive 30-60 minutes for weekend monitoring appointments. The K Street office also doesn't have a free parking option, if not on Sunday's. I was able to monitor at Waldorf for my March 2020 cycle and save on the headache of fighting DC traffic and parking meters, but I don't know if I will be able to do that for future cycles. Another weakness is operating hours -- would be helpful if the clinics opened at 6a for monitoring on weekd
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Moon is well educated and seems to be a numbers person. During our consult for our second IVF cycle with her for a second biological child, she ran our data from our cycle 2 years prior through a spreadsheet they had to predict likelihood for success with unexplained infertility and our age and the numbers were so-so. I pushed and asked why we only ended up with (1) blastocyst when I had 21 retrieved and 17 mature/fertilized. She responded that to her that points to male factor infertility bc the cells live off the maternal protein the initial 3 days and then once getting past 4-cells they live off the male DNA. Since we still had 10+ embryos after our Day-2 update and then only 1 come day 5/6/7, she deducts there are some MFI issues and referred us to the urologist in her practice if we wanted more information. If we had decided not to go, then we never would have learned about the Sperm DNA Fragmentation test that is available. I don't know why this test wasn't recommended after our initial 2-failed IUIs or when his semen analysis in initial work up was so-so. The results came back that 36% of his sperm had DNA fragmentation and success for frag over 30% isn't good. For our IVF cycle in 2019 to attempt for our second baby, the urologist recommended he perform a TESE procedure on my husband to get to the source of the sperm before they get fragmented in ejaculation. Again, we had 21 retrieved and 17 mature/fertilize but only 2 make it to blastocysts (day 5 & 6). They were tested and both came back abnormal. At that point, Dr. Moon and the board reviewed our case and decided we could not continue in the Shared Risk program, unless we used 50% donor sperm and 50% of my husband's. While I get they want to protect their data and pregnancy rates, this felt like a blow that they didn't have faith in our future outcomes. We want a full biological family and we know it is possible since we have our son; we'd think they would come up with ways to help overcome this DNA fragmentation. They moved our deposit for Shared Risk over to a Multi-Cycle program (2 tries) and then I don't know what we'll do if those two don't work..... After that failed cycle, I read up on whatever studies I could find and put my husband on supplements for 3-months and he was trying to work on getting his BMI down since the clinic didn't have any recommendations on what we could do to make a difference. Sadly our March 2020 IVF cycle had about 20 retrieved; 18 mature and fertilized and only 2 made it to blast again and both came back abnormal again. We have a teleconference with Dr. Moon this afternoon to talk about next steps, I guess. Curious to see what she'll say....
Don't be afraid to do your own research and schedule calls with her to get questions answered.
My response is mixed. While I know she knows who my husband and I are and preformed 2/3 of my egg retrievals, I also feel we're a number in that i don't feel like a lot of time and effort is being put in to figure out a creative way to mitigate our MFI and allow us to have another biological baby. After our failed IVF cycle in 2019, we were recommended to use 50% donor sperm on next cycle. I feel like there has to be other options out there.
I don't recall the treatment protocols for my (2) IUIs, but for my (3) IVF cycles she had me on an antagonist protocol with 225 Gonal-F and (3) vials of Menopur. I am slower to respond, esp. my right side, so my 3rd cycle I was started on these higher doses and stayed pretty steady throughout cycle. Only (1) IVF cycle in 2017 was successful with producing (1) blastocyst (our son). Have a tele-consult with our Dr. this afternoon and am curious if there is another protocol we can try for our final cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Lana and Caroline were the two I remember communicating the most with during my two cycles the last 6-months. Both showed compassion and answered my portal questions on the same day and with accuracy. In 2017 I did have (1) assigned nurse, Kate Manders, and I didn't 100% care for her. She was nice enough but seemed pretty cold/robotic. She is now the K Street Patient Care Coordinator or Office Manager or something to that effect.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths - Monitoring appointments are quick and efficient. There are many location options to visit. The Rockville surgery center is well decorated and relaxing and the staff there have always been great. I have been pleased with my retrieval experiences. Weaknesses - Not enough convenient weekend clinic options. Upper MD has Rockville, VA has Fairfax, DC has K Street, but those of us in Southern Maryland don't have anything and have to drive 30-60 minutes for weekend monitoring appointments. The K Street office also doesn't have a free parking option, if not on Sunday's. I was able to monitor at Waldorf for my March 2020 cycle and save on the headache of fighting DC traffic and parking meters, but I don't know if I will be able to do that for future cycles. Another weakness is operating hours -- would be helpful if the clinics opened at 6a for monitoring on weekdays and stay with 7a on weekends so patients can still get to work at a semi-decent hour.
Shared Risk for my age was $22,500.00 Multi-Cycle (2 cycles) was $18,500.00 PGT-A Testing - $5,000.00 TESE - $5,000.00 Sperm Analysis - $50.00 Sperm DNA Fragmentation Test - $250.00
Washington DC

His [Dr. Levens] knowledge and competence is without question. ... Because he was not available without an appointment, it was difficult to speak with him about questions or concerns. This was frustrating because it was my first cycle. He is thorough and compassionate if the news is not as hoped as was our case. He has adjusted treatment based on our specific results and explained the next steps.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] overall is doing a great job however we noticed a lack of consistency in result reporting in dealing with the nursing staff. My nurse would call and not give the details of my monitoring appt or test results unless I asked specifics while others nurses would give me the results without prompting. After talking with my doc the day I was scheduled to trigger another nurse was trying to get us to buy more meds! She had not looked at my chart really and we could tell she had no idea but it did cause some confusion that day.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
His knowledge and competence is without question. As a doctor myself, I had to remind him that I wanted to know every detail without the sugarcoating or layman's optimism. Because he was not available without an appointment, it was difficult to speak with him about questions or concerns. This was frustrating because it was my first cycle. He is thorough and compassionate if the news is not as hoped as was our case. He has adjusted treatment based on our specific results and explained the next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Patients have all different backgrounds and those who want to know more detail should be treated accordingly within reason.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
It was at times difficult to speak directly with him, however, I understand that he is extremely busy as the medical director of the clinic. When I did leave questions, he definitely would call back with an answer within a day or two. He was well versed with my record when we did talk.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Based on AMH, FSH, it was determined that my ovarian reserve was more than adequate and similar to someone approximately 5-6 yrs younger however quality was still unknown. The protocol was about 15 days and began with gonal f 150iu and 75iu of menopur. The menopur was increased up to 225 in the last week. I took doses of Cetrotide and used Leuprolide as the trigger. 17 eggs were retrieved, 13 of which were mature. 9 embryos were fertilized with 2 making it to day 6. Embryo testing of the 2 showed chromosome 21 trisomy and chromosome 21 monosomy. My husband and I were sent out for karyotype testing and awaiting results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Schmidt)
She was very responsive and willing to go the extra mile if needed. She was always accessible which was a plus considering that I could not always reach my doc. She would pass along any message or question so that I could get an answer quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic overall is doing a great job however we noticed a lack of consistency in result reporting in dealing with the nursing staff. My nurse would call and not give the details of my monitoring appt or test results unless I asked specifics while others nurses would give me the results without prompting. After talking with my doc the day I was scheduled to trigger another nurse was trying to get us to buy more meds! She had not looked at my chart really and we could tell she had no idea but it did cause some confusion that day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
We did a multicycle package with a military discount and paid additional 5k for blast genetic testing. Altogether the services were 18k without medication.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Given our age and no children, we will be transferring more than 1 blast if available.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Previous box discussed this conflict.
Eric Levens