6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Amrane did a pretty good job of explaining my specific situation and laying out possible treatments, etc. I only saw her in a couple of virtual visits (and in person once during the initial consultation, which was for egg freezing). She answered my questions and was understanding about what I was trying to accomplish. She wished me luck during the IUIs and was sympathetic when I didn't get pregnant. On the down side, she focused a lot on "what can go wrong" and it definitely gave me more stress instead of being reassured. I think she doesn't have enough experience in dealing with anxious patients.
Right now, my main complaint with the [Shady Grove Fertility] clinic is that it's very difficult to get a full picture/layout of how much different treatment scenarios will ultimately cost you. So I haven't been happy with the financial situation for my IVF, so far... Overall, the clinic is very organized, staff is very nice and professional. Yes, you will probably "feel like a number," but it's Shady Grove and it's a busy clinic... If you make peace with feeling like a number, it's not that bad... Most of the nursing staff was also very good.
How was your experience with Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't look for a super-warm bedside manner. Ask specific questions to get specific information.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility?
For my initial consultation, Dr. Amrane (and nurses) really stressed me out and it definitely felt like I was more of a number. I had a blood pressure spike and no one really reassured me about it - and it was only a consultation! I don't think there was enough explanation/caring about just how complex, time-sensitive and demanding the process really is... For my virtual meetings with Dr. Amrane, she was ok/relatively nice, but her demeanor was still sort of "stress-inducing."
Describe the protocols Selma Amrane used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did four IUIs; the first was a natural cycle, because I was hoping to avoid chemicals, etc. She was very willing to try different things (i.e., a natural cycle) and said it's worth a shot. When the first 2 IUIs were unsuccessful, she said I should consider moving on to IVF. She did note my lower ovarian reserve, and I think that was a big reason for her suggestion. I used clomid for one cycle (which didn't end up going all the way to an IUI, because I got sick), and letrozole for another cycle. I was switched to letrozole because I may have had visual side effects from clomid, so they wanted to be on the safe side. For the IVF, I had menopur and gonal-f, and ultimately cetrotide; also, Dr. Amrane had me do a final boost of those meds before the trigger shot. I wasn't told the rationale for that... but currently I'm waiting to see how many of my fertilized eggs turn to blastocysts. I had 3 eggs fertilize.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Beth Goode)
Beth Goode was awesome! One of the best health care providers I've ever had. She is always very organized, knowledgeable, calm, professional, understanding, takes LOTS of time to answer any questions I have... She was good at reassuring me when I worried about things and good at giving a very thorough perspective on everything. Most of the nursing staff was also very good.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Right now, my main complaint with the clinic is that it's very difficult to get a full picture/layout of how much different treatment scenarios will ultimately cost you. So I haven't been happy with the financial situation for my IVF, so far... Overall, the clinic is very organized, staff is very nice and professional. Yes, you will probably "feel like a number," but it's Shady Grove and it's a busy clinic... If you make peace with feeling like a number, it's not that bad. For a new patient, however, it is honestly an extremely stressful experience, because they don't seem to take into account the level of complexity and anxiety that the whole fertility situation creates. I was told during my consultation that my blood pressure was high enough that I could go to the ER - friggin' ridiculous! So, I understand that the nursing staff are primarily gynecologists, not cardiologists, etc, but hopefully new patients can take a lot of their comments and suggestions with a grain of salt, because outside of the fertility stuff, they don't necessarily know what they're talking about. Shady Grove is clearly *extremely* focused on avoiding any type of liability, so they warn you about every possible little thing, presumably so they don't get sued. So I just wouldn't listen to all the risks and everything like that that they tell you.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Selma Amrane at Shady Grove Fertility.
I think IUI was approximately $1,500 a cycle. (I paid out of pocket at the time.) Ovidrel was $68. My IVF charges are still being processed, but... I was so far billed about $6,500 by Shady Grove (which includes about $3,600 for PGT testing). This does NOT include an embryo transfer - but allegedly does include the cost covered by insurance. I have also been charged, at this point, roughly $6,000 just for medications. But everything is still going through insurance, so I'm not sure how this will all shake out.
Describe Selma Amrane's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Haven't gotten that far
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Like I said earlier, I really wasn't given a comprehensive overview of the financial picture for IVF treatment. I wasn't told that if I did PGT testing, I couldn't do a fresh embryo transfer, which would add like at least $6,000 to the treatment (I thought embryo transfers cost closer to $3,400). No one also told me how much IVF meds cost, like even a ballpark estimate. I realize I could have done more of my own research ahead of time, but the way the clinic downplayed the cost of the meds, etc, I just wasn't that focused on it. So that's the main thing I wasn't happy with.
Selma Amrane

2020 - 2022, Unsuccessful
While I am sure she [Dr. Rebecca Chason] is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work...Demand more, do your research and ask tons of questions. Don’t assume because they are the Dr they know more. You have to advocate for yourself and what you would like done
They [Shady Grove Fertility] have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly...the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
While I am sure she is a great Dr, she was very clear about the expectations and my doing donor eggs. I have a good egg reserve for my age and wanted to try with my own eggs and not be pushed into donor when I had other options. So I felt that my care was not as aggressive as could have been because they just didn’t think it would work. After the 3 failed IUI I reached out about a change to my regimen because clearly what I was on was not working. They said no it would stay the same and I was responding well. Well after 2 more failed attempts Dr. chasen now wants to talk about changing the regimen which I felt was a little late. I aged out of IVF at that particular clinic but never got a change to do a successful retrieval so I moved on to a clinic that didn’t have a age cut off of 45 for your own eggs. I didn’t even bother with the last IUI….more money wasted with no measurable change to the regimen
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
I barely spoke to Dr. Chasen more so her nurse. Overall while they were nice I didn’t feel that they cared as much as I would have liked during this emotionally stressful period. They kept pushing me to do donor egg although my egg reserve was good. I do feel that my failed egg retrieval could have also been avoided if certain things would have been noted before hand.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Chason used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For the IVF…I was on BC pills initially, then Lupron, added in 150 menopour and 275 gonal f. They started high because of my age and I reacted better than they thought so they had to lower the gonal f to 150 so I would not go into ohss. I went into retrieval with them seeing at least 16 follicles mature and ready. I woke up saying they were unable to retrieve any because they could not access my ovaries vaginally and abdominally they saw a blood vessel in front of the ovary and decided to not proceed. It was devastating They then told me that they would not move on with IVF for that reason….no trying to figure out how we can go around that because I clearly responded well. They then moved to IUI which was 100mg clomid for 5 days and on day 3 150 gonal f and day 5 150 gonal f. When I went in each time they saw 2-3 follicles that were mature and ready for insemenation. The sperm was great according to them, but Nothing took.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
They nurse was pleasant enough and was available when I had a question. The staff at the clinic were great. I will say that the weekend nursing staff were a bit more compassionate than the weekday staff. But overall not a bad experience
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a age cut off, a BMI cut off and the financial team is very bad at getting back to you in a timely fashion. They staff you worked with most were the ones that took your blood, and the ones that did the ultrasounds. They were very kind, compassionate and friendly
It was convenient as early as 7am and in and out in 30 mins and still able to get to work in a timely fashion
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty good and covered a good amount. The meds were the most expensive part. Without meds IVF was around 4,000. With meds $13,000. IUI meds were about $350 and out of pocket was 1,000
Describe Rebecca Chason's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was just twice that I had to call about results and to know if I was triggering that night as the staff failed to call as the usually did. I was able to reach a night nurse who after looking up the information called me back and said that yes I was to trigger which I would have missed if I was not proactive about calling

2021 - 2022, Successful
The doctor [Dr. Sagoskin] personally called me with sensitive information and had a warm bedside manner...genuine and listens to our concerns. He also is ready with a next plan for us so we can move forward when we are ready. He has tailored my medication each time to get better results and has been supportive when we went through a chemical pregnancy. He is good at communicating when questions arise and is very helpful at explaining terminology and gray areas of fertility..
Great care! [at Shady Grove Fertility] Doctors are sympathetic and sensitive and nurses are skilled and great at managing patient concerns and questions. I have felt supported at each stage of the process by our clinic. I have enjoyed the professionalism and overall great atmosphere of my visits. It’s a busy place, which can create stress and long waits for patients....She [nurse] assumed I was coming back in to the clinic because my levels were going up when in fact I had a chemical pregnancy and I was doing tests to ensure the number went down below 5. This was a difficult time and I thought the nurse could have checked my record before making the comment she did...
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
The doctor is genuine and listens to our concerns. He also is ready with a next plan for us so we can move forward when we are ready. He has tailored my medication each time to get better results and has been supportive when we went through a chemical pregnancy. He is good at communicating when questions arise and is very helpful at explaining terminology and gray areas of fertility. He also did our first retrieval and was very encouraging afterwards.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be sure to ask all the questions you have as you will feel more comfortable and learn more if you approach the doctor with your concerns.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
The doctor personally called me with sensitive information and had a warm bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Arthur Sagoskin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Short protocol with microdose Lupron, better outcome (9 eggs retrieved second time vs 3 first time) with adjusted dose of Lupron
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Bethany )
Wonderful attention from my primary nurse. One nurse made me feel very bad when she asked if it was my last blood work to check HCG levels, saying it was exciting. She assumed I was coming back in to the clinic because my levels were going up when in fact I had a chemical pregnancy and I was doing tests to ensure the number went down below 5. This was a difficult time and I thought the nurse could have checked my record before making the comment she did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Great care! Doctors are sympathetic and sensitive and nurses are skilled and great at managing patient concerns and questions. I have felt supported at each stage of the process by our clinic. I have enjoyed the professionalism and overall great atmosphere of my visits. It’s a busy place, which can create stress and long waits for patients.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility.
Our insurance coverage was good, so we paid for PGT testing ($4500) and $20 co-pays for appointments
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
An appointment was not scheduled at the time that the front desk staff had communicated it would be.
Arthur Sagoskin

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
IUI out of pocket was ~$1600...Too busy, especially the financial department. They have an efficient process which is nice, but it is impersonal and the wait time can be really bad (over 45 mins on several occasions). Their office is lovely and their technology seems very up to date. Many of the actual providers are very kind, especially the nurses and front office staff..
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Doyle was warm, compassionate, and nonjudgmental. He was a good listener and never made me feel rushed or pressured to make a decision. He followed up with me on a concern I expressed after hours one time too. He clearly relies heavily on his nurses and NPs to do the majority of the actual direct procedures, and he just handled consultations and approving the course of treatment. So over-all high quality provider with low quantity of actual interactions. I definitely appreciate working with him though and would recommend him to others, especially if they are going to be seen at Shady Grove Fertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions- he’s great at explaining things and giving answers, but he doesn’t necessarily talk a lot about things unless you ask for specifics. The nurse gives more of the details.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Although the clinic over-all makes me feel like a number, whenever I’ve met or spoken directly with Dr. Doyle, he is very kind, affable, and never seemed rushed or dismissive. He’s matter of fact but still willing to explain things to me and answer my questions in a detailed way when I want/need him to. One time he even called me back after hours to talk to me about my misgivings from recommendations by the weekend doctor and nurse.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Ovidrel + IUI + monitoring of bloodwork & ultrasound x1 cycle resulted in 1 mature follicle, no pregnancy 5 pills of 2.5 letrozole, ovidrel + monitoring of bloodwork and IUI with donor sperm x1 cycle for PCOS - 2 mature follicles, no pregnancy 5 pills of 5 letrozole, ovidrel + monitoring of bloodwork & IUI with donor sperm x2 cycles for PCOS- resulted in 2 mature follicles and one mature follicle before IUI was scheduled Told me that with our next cycle we can do 5 pills of 7 mg letrozole for PCOS -
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Marina)
Organized but busy. Answered my questions whenever I had them, but I don’t know that she knew me without looking at my chart.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Too busy, especially the financial department. They have an efficient process which is nice, but it is impersonal and the wait time can be reallllllyyy bad (over 45 mins on several occasions). Their office is lovely and their technology seems very up to date. Many of the actual providers are very kind, especially the nurses and front office staff.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered the consult with just a copay, but IUI out of pocket was ~$1600
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One time it was difficult to get the right prescription sent to the pharmacy.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Chason is an extremely compassionate and warm person and that is extended through her team, her bed side manner, and delivery of information etc. I feel grateful to have her as my treating clinician...she has strong analytical skills to assess what appropriate next steps may be if one course of action did not pan out as expected. She is compassionate, empathetic and realistic.
I truly enjoy my [Shady Grove Fertility] office location. I have experienced compassionate and kind people...[nurse] Joan is a dream come true. She is a very organized person. She is patient, empathetic, and informative. Her response time is quick and she is accessible...For a new patient using insurance I would encourage you to know your benefits well, do not rely just on what is being shared. The policy holder will always have more access to their plan than the provider.
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chason is accessible. While most of my treatment I communicated with my nurse, I could always be in touch with her if needed. I feel she has strong analytical skills to assess what appropriate next steps may be if one course of action did not pan out as expected. She is compassionate, empathetic and realistic.
Trust her, and ask questions if you need more for your own understanding. She is patient and will make sure you walk away knowing what the plan is and that you understand it as much as you want to.
1st cycle was an antagonist protocol using birth control start, Menopur, Gonal F, Ganirelix and Lupron trigger (I do not recall the dosage). I had a high AF count and we wanted to prevent OHSS, and she felt I would be a good responder. I stimmed for 8 days, triggered on the 9th. We retrieved 21 eggs, 13 mature, 4 fertilized, 2 made to it to blast and 1 was euploid. That transfer resulted in a chemical pregnancy. For the 2nd round we made a change to improve our fertilization rate, we switched to a Lupron stop protocol. The goal was to produce better quality eggs to increase fertilization. I used Lupron for 9 days once I had a positive ovulation test, then I stimmed for 8 days triggering on the 9th using Menopur, Gonal F and a HCG trigger. We retrieved 19 eggs, 13 mature, 12 fertilized, 10 made it to blast, 7 euploid, 1 transferred resulted in a miscarriage. This last round is still being monitored for my HCG levels to drop and we will discuss next steps. I between round 1 & 2 retrieval I had a mock transfer which discovered a polyp, and between round 2 retrieval and transfer I had one hysteroscopy to remove the polyp and endometritis was discovered as well as low visibility of my right tube. I had a course of antibiotics for 2 weeks to rid the inflammation, followed by an endometrial biopsy which showed improvement but endometritis still present. At that time I opted for an additional hysteroscopy for a repeat biopsy and to look at the right tube. The biopsy showed the endometritis cleared, and the right tube entrance had scar tissue that was cleared.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Joan Skovron)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I truly enjoy my office location. I have experienced compassionate and kind people. For a new patient using insurance I would encourage you to know your benefits well, do not rely just on what is being shared. The policy holder will always have more access to their plan than the provider.
Most of my treatment was covered by insurance, outside of pgt-a testing, and embryo freezing cost.
My doctor recommended the transfer of a single embryo. We were informed as to the reasoning and stats behind that recommendation.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Conflicting information from a financial counselor regarding my insurance benefits. I had called my insurance and was ensured that a particular analysis for my husband was covered by insurance. I was told by the clinic it was not, this was not correct as my plan was different than the traditional plan they had seen which did not cover the analysis in question.

2017 - 2022, Unsuccessful
My husband and I have always felt comfortable and heard when we meet Dr. Chason. She's eternally optimistic yet realistic. We feel hopeful, supported and confident whenever we leave our appointments. Even with setbacks, she gives us feedback we can use to make decisions and move forward. She has remained receptive to our concerns and open to adjusting our cycles when needed.
The [SGF Annapolis] receptionists are lovely and encouraging. Scheduling is easy. However, there have been a couple times, over the years, that I've waited almost an hour to be seen. I adore the techs and phlebotomists. Unfortunately, one of my absolute favorite phlebotomists left during the pandemic. I had a concern with one of the NPs, which I addressed with my primary nurse. I haven't had any issues since.
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Bring questions! She will provide answers and resources.
Dr. Chason personally follows up through out our cycles. She went above and beyond to provide me with an excellent surgeon to manage our ectopic pregnancy. She also followed up with the surgeon post op to continue consulting on my case.
(2017-2020) We had 11 IUIs using donor sperm; 3 rounds were medicated (Clomid x2, Femara x1). I am sensitive to medication and prefer to limit it's usage. I had an allergic reaction to Clomid during our second medicated cycle. We had our first positive test with our 6th round. However, I miscarried a few days before our first ultrasound. (2021) We opted to try a round of IVF. We used estrogen patches, Menopur, Ganirelix, Gonal-F, Crinone and Estradiol. We had a fresh transfer on day 5; we opted to have our remaining embryos tested (PGT-A). Our cycle resulted in a positive pregnancy test, but the pregnancy was ectopic. We have not yet started preparing for our first FET.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann S.)
Ann took over my care when my previous nurse took a new position. She's calm and reassuring. She's very responsive when I reach out by phone or email. She's always so sweet when I see her around the office.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The receptionists are lovely and encouraging. Scheduling is easy. However, there have been a couple times, over the years, that I've waited almost an hour to be seen. I adore the techs and phlebotomists. Unfortunately, one of my absolute favorite phlebotomists left during the pandemic. I had a concern with one of the NPs, which I addressed with my primary nurse. I haven't had any issues since.
Under our previous insurance, we paid for 5 IUIs out of pocket. Our current insurance covers services. For the majority of visits, I was charged my copay. IVF was applied towards my deductible in addition to copay charges. However, embryo testing was 100% out of pocket ($3600).

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Bromer understands there’s more to infertility and every patient is different. He sees me as a person, not just lab numbers, and treats me with care and respect...He seems to understand how challenging and stressful this is, so he presents all the information up front and made me aware of all my options and the chances of it working realistically. No false hope, but he’s kind about it, and willing to work with the patient
The entire staff at SGF is beyond kind. They all understand this is an emotional and stressful situation and they make me feel valued and respected. They’ve listened to fears and concerns with patience. They’re exceptional to me...If you’re within a driving distance of a few hours, it’s worth using them. Compared to other clinics and doctors I’ve seem, SGF’s approach seems to be treating an individual compared with treating a “diagnosis.”
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer looked over my entire medical history, not just the lab numbers. Fertility science is constantly changing and he seems understanding of that, whereas other doctors I’ve had historically are inflexible. Dr. Bromer is honest and direct while being caring. He seems to understand how challenging and stressful this is, so he presents all the information up front and made me aware of all my options and the chances of it working realistically. No false hope, but he’s kind about it, and willing to work with the patient. I have the utmost respect for him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
See him. You won’t regret it.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I will be using an IVF cycle with a sperm donor. The amount and types of medications will be closely monitored dependent on my body’s response to them.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jamie)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Previously my only complaint would’ve been access to Shady Grove clinics, but as they’re spreading and opening new locations, it’s no longer a concern. If you’re within a driving distance of a few hours, it’s worth using them. Compared to other clinics and doctors I’ve seem, SGF’s approach seems to be treating an individual compared with treating a “diagnosis.” A friend recommended them to me after bad experiences at other clinics and I’m so grateful she did.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
There are several treatment options with different costs associated, including shared responsibility, income based discounts, and the one I used- military discounts.
Jason Bromer
Frederick

2019 - 2022, Unsuccessful
Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable and gave advice in probabilities/estimates of success which I found to be very helpful when I needed to make a decision about how I wanted to proceed. She proactively consulted with another dr who had more experience with a more novel treatment plan for my adenomyosis. I appreciated her thorough approach to managing my care.
[Shady Grove Fertility - Washington DC] Strength - success rates. Weakness - factory feel, financial billing department is not responsive and gives inaccurate information, you rarely interact with your dr after your treatment plan is finalized. A different dr will do your egg retrievals, and most other procedures you may need along the way.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Get your emotional support from your partner, friend, or therapist, don't expect to get it from Dr. Devine. She is very knowledgeable but isn't very warm or empathetic.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine was not particularly warm, but she was compassionate when I experienced miscarriages or set backs.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember the specifics. I had 2 IVF cycles which yielded a total of 3 PGT tested normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Generally I had positive experiences with my nurses but found the nursing team approach to be frustrating and ineffective. Information would get lost between the nurses, I would get asked the same questions by multiple nurses on the team. I wished I had one point of contact instead of multiple. The staff who draw your blood and perform your ultrasounds were kind and skilled.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered 80% of my fertility treatment costs.
see above

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
The kindest thing that Dr. Swelstad did was give me a call the day before the FET. I was unable to pick up his call, but he left a voicemail and upon listening to his message, I felt more at ease with the procedure the following day. I really appreciated the couple of minutes that he took out of his day to reach out...Although the IUIs were unsuccessful, Dr. Swelstad's guidance and medication adjustments were welcomed
Generally, my experience at [SGF] Fair Oaks has been a good one. My favorite person (other than Dr. Swelstad) at the Fair Oaks office was Tiffany who (a majority of the time) drew my blood. She is so lovely and nice. I always enjoyed by short interactions with her. The front staff is nice enough. Sometimes the mornings are very busy (most of my appointments) but there is that 1-2 times where I was the only person in the wait room.
How was your experience with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wish that I could have had more face-to-face interactions with Dr. Swelstad but I understand that at a large clinic such as SGF, that's not always possible. In the two times that Dr. Swelstad completed my ultrasound (during two IUI rounds) he always made me feel at ease and made me feel like he knew who I was based on our virtual meetings. Dr. Swelstad is direct and considerate. He added dashes of humor to our interactions and I liked that about our conversations. Although the IUIs were unsuccessful, Dr. Swelstad's guidance and medication adjustments were welcomed. My husband and I have been very happy with our relationship with Dr. Swelstad. We are at the beginning of an active pregnancy journey and we hope to be able to share happy news with Dr. Swelstad by the end of this year!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask Dr. Swelstad questions. He might not give you warm, fuzzy responses, but he is honest and clear.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Although I am reviewing the Fair Oaks clinic, I also went to the Fairfax location and the SGF location in Rockville. Generally, my experience at Fair Oaks has been a good one. My favorite person (other than Dr. Swelstad) at the Fair Oaks office was Tiffany who (a majority of the time) drew my blood. She is so lovely and nice. I always enjoyed by short interactions with her. The front staff is nice enough. Sometimes the mornings are very busy (most of my appointments) but there is that 1-2 times where I was the only person in the wait room.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Brad Swelstad at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance is pretty terrific (thank goodness!), so our only costs were the PGTA testing and freezing our embryos. I also had a co-pay for the meds, but that wasn't bad.
Brad Swelstad

2019 - 2022, Successful
She [Dr. Esposito] was extremely compassionate. Very willing to take the time to talk to me about all of my concerns. Allowed me to ask questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for any of the questions I asked...For my egg retrieval I was on menopeur, and gonal F. It yielded 15 eggs, 11 fertilized and 4 made it to day 5/6 with 2 testing genetically normal through PGT-A testing. For my first transfer I was on estrogen and 5 days of PIO prior to the transfer. For my second transfer, after an ERA cycle adjustments were made to my protocol.
My nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was always willing to answer my questions. She was available by both phone and the portal. She made sure I understood everything completely and would review multiple times to make sure I understood...At times the office was difficult to get ahold of by phone. The front desk staff at times was not very welcoming. As a whole the clinic is very organized and extremely responsive. I would want a new patient to know that it’s ok to be persistent. That you must advocate for yourself not only with your doctor and clinical care team but at times with the front desk staff in regards to scheduling appointments.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
There was never a time where I didn’t feel heard or seen as a patient. Dr. Esposito was always understanding of my concerns and hesitations. She took the time to explain to me anything I had Questions about. After learning my son was born 14 weeks prematurely she made sure to check in to see how he was doing and has continued to check in on him. She truly cares about her patients and wants them to be successful in their treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go in with an open mind. Be open to hearing your options and don’t be afraid to ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was extremely compassionate. Very willing to take the time to talk to me about all of my concerns. Allowed me to ask questions and didn’t make me feel stupid for any of the questions I asked
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jessica Klock)
My nurse was always willing to answer my questions. She was available by both phone and the portal. She made sure I understood everything completely and would review multiple times to make sure I understood.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Monitoring appointments were always scheduled for the morning, I never felt like just a number. I always felt like my time was valued and respected.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility.
Roughly $30,000 including costs of medication
Melissa Esposito
Columbia

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Devine] used numbers and statistics to explain her reasoning for decisions and for her overall optimism for us...she is direct and appointments feel quick - come with questions ready and prioritize their importance...Dr Devine showed up to do our second transfer even though she wasn’t on call for transfers that day, which was a lovely surprise...Dr Devine almost always recommends eSET vs multiples...
The Rockville office [Shady Grove Fertility] is calm and the facilities are modern. The nurses and nurse anesthetist for egg retrieval were stellar...Despite having many patients, they seem to get everyone scheduled when they need to be...sometimes appointments can start late esp for bloodwork and ultrasound. Sometimes it feels like until you’re an IVF patient, you’re low priority. Sometimes I felt like the coordination between the andrology lab and the other areas was lacking...
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is the director of research and I trusted that she had up to date, accurate, and thorough information to guide us. She presented options and answered our questions. All the while, she was reassuring about our prospects. She is direct, so we felt that she would have told us if she weren’t optimistic. Dr. Devine seems busy - we had 3 zoom appointments with her and then met her in person when she came to do our second transfer (which was a pleasant surprise)! We would go back to her for baby #2.
Know that she is direct and appointments feel quick - come with questions ready and prioritize their importance.
Dr Devine was kind and reassuring to us right off the bat. She used numbers and statistics to explain her reasoning for decisions and for her overall optimism for us. Although we had previously only met her on zoom, Dr Devine showed up to do our second transfer even though she wasn’t on call for transfers that day, which was a lovely surprise. The nurses helped me feel like a human because every time we talked on the phone, they were willing to answer all of my questions and I knew they were in contact with Dr. Devine.
We were not quite at a year so Dr Devine recommended starting with unmedicated IUIs. We did 3 without success. At that point, we were at a year and she gave us the option of medicated IUI or straight to IVF. She did not push us either way, but told us why a couple might opt for one or the other. We went straight to IVF because of its higher likelihood of success. My stims cycle was pretty straightforward, with a Lupron trigger prescribed over hcg due to worries about OHSS (which I didn’t ultimately get). I opted for a freeze all cycle and we did PGT-A testing for our 9 embryos, 5 of which came back normal. We did two medicated transfers, the first of which failed and the second of which has resulted in a current pregnancy. The first cycle, we did estrace 3x daily plus PIO every third day and endometrin inserts twice daily. For the second cycle, I think dropped the inserts and did PIO daily (my preference). She offered us a modified natural cycle which we would have tried except that we had a lot of travel that precluded it. That would have been our next choice of transfer 2 had not worked.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie, KC, Vanessa were my main 3)
The nurses were lovely. In particular, Stephanie was always so kind, reassuring, and willing to answer my MANY questions along the way through messages and on the phone.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: multiple facilities in the area, relatively easy to make appointments once you’re a patient, top notch doctors and care team. The Rockville office is calm and the facilities are modern. The nurses and nurse anesthetist for egg retrieval were stellar. Dr Humm did my retrieval and was superb. Despite having many patients, they seem to get everyone scheduled when they need to be! Cons: there are a lot of patients and they do seem busy at times, sometimes appointments can start late esp for bloodwork and ultrasound. Sometimes it feels like until you’re an IVF patient, you’re low priority. Sometimes I felt like the coordination between the andrology lab and the other areas was lacking.
IVF was about $7000 after insurance. FET cycles were about $1000 plus a $645 “thaw fee” not covered by insurance. Embryo storage is $60/month per retrieval cycle.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr Devine almost always recommends eSET vs multiples. Multiples was not an option for us, which we didn’t mind.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Dr. Nair has a great bedside manner and truly takes her time in getting to know you and your partner. She focuses on your health and ways that are beneficial in your journey to conceive...knowledgeable and tells you the blunt truth about the best treatment option...Due to my advanced age my eggs were of poor quality. She suggested other options to continue or journey to conceive. She also was very supportive when we miscarried...
Shady Grove is amazing and has everything under one roof. At first I thought I was just going to be a number, but they truly get to know you as a patient. My experience has been wonderful thus far...My original nurse retired and I have a new one. So far she has been amazing...Since we are using donor eggs the cost is not covered by insurance. However, Shady Grove does have excellent programs to help...
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair has a great bedside manner and truly takes her time in getting to know you and your partner. She focuses on your health and ways that are beneficial in your journey to conceive. I’m so thankful for her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair is knowledgeable and tells you the blunt truth about the best treatment option.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair explained all my options to me and my husband. Due to my advanced age my eggs were of poor quality. She suggested other options to continue or journey to conceive. She also was very supportive when we miscarried.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We just started our next cycle with donor eggs. Currently just on birth control. Awaiting the next steps.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
My original nurse retired and I have a new one. So far she has been amazing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is amazing and has everything under one roof. At first I thought I was just going to be a number, but they truly get to know you as a patient. My experience has been wonderful thus far. I’m looking forward to what the future holds.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Prayerfully we will get to that step sometime this year.
Anitha Nair

2021 - 2022, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Andrea Reh] did not review my records before the appointments, and it felt like she does not remember any information pertaining to my previous treatment under her supervision...I wanted to see a different provider in Shady Grove Fertility, but it would have added two more months of waiting...During 6 months of treatment, I saw her only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult). The rest of the communication with Dr. was done through the nurse.
I really liked that SGF has multiple locations and early morning monitoring appointments which provided great flexibility. Scheduling is very easy. They are quick in responding to most of the questions via the patient portal. All communication on your treatment is done through the nurse...During 6 months of treatment, I saw [Dr. Reh] only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult).
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I wanted to see a different provider in Shady Grove Fertility, but it would have added two more months of waiting for my initial consult so I agreed to proceed with Dr. Reh. During 6 months of treatment, I saw her only three times (initial consult, one monitoring ultrasound, and follow-up consult). The rest of the communication with Dr. was done through the nurse. I did not feel I got sufficient explanations of why specific treatment was chosen based on my situation (e.g. natural vs. medicated IUI, choice of specific protocol). I felt part of the problem was that she did not review my records before the appointment, so she did to have any specific suggestions on my treatment during our conversations. I was receiving written recommendations on my treatment only after my appointment with Dr. Reh which made it more difficult to ask questions. She also did not seem caring.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Try to do your own research on possible treatments and make a list of questions that you may have about it before the appointments.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I did not feel any personal attitude from Dr. Reh's side. She did not review my records before the appointments, and it felt like she does not remember any information pertaining to my previous treatment under her supervision.
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did two IUIs using clomid, ovidrel and progesteron. I did not receive any rationale for why these medications were chosen for my cycle. I tolerated them well, and my response was also good, but both cycles failed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really liked that SGF has multiple locations and early morning monitoring appointments which provided great flexibility. Scheduling is very easy. They are quick in responding to most of the questions via the patient portal. All communication on your treatment is done through the nurse. She has been indeed wonderful, but I would have hoped to be able to ask Dr. questions directly and receive some explanations from her as well. I felt disappointed that IUIs (and most of the monitoring) are performed by nurces. The billing was not always consistent (I was billed in different ways for absolutely identical encounters.)
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
Costs through our insurance: Initial consult $200 First IUI cycle $1200 Second IUI cycle $800 (had fewer monitoring appointments), plus meds.
Describe Andrea Reh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2021 - 2022, Unknown Success
Our first visit, we really liked Dr Mottla. He has a warm manner and was reassuring...We had issues as time went on, particularly with communication and with my partner being included in the process...I was disappointed with the lack of explanation when plans would change after an IUI cycle didn't work...we didn't feel like our unique situation or past conversations were being taken into account...
I go to both the Annaoplis and Columbia clinics [Shady Grove Fertility] due to where I work. Staff at both are friendly and helpful...At the Annapolis clinic, they have me meet with the nurse at the end of each labs/US appt which is VERY helpful and helps me feel comfortable with the plan. However, this is not done at the Columbia office, so there have been some miscommunication and confusion...
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Our first visit, we really liked Dr Mottla. He has a warm manner and was reassuring. He was pretty realistic about success rates, which I appreciated, though I did have to press him for specific numbers. We had issues as time went on, particularly with communication and with my partner being included in the process. I am a Primary Care Doctor, so I may have been seeking more explanation of treatment plans than other people, but I was disappointed with the lack of explanation when plans would change after an IUI cycle didn't work; for example why we were switching medications. There was also a big misunderstanding where my partner and I thought we were only doing one cycle of IUI and then moving onto IVF, but after our first cycle of IUI didn't work, Dr. Mottla just created a treatment plan for a second cycle of IUI with new medications and his nurse told us as if this was the plan all along, so we didn't feel like our unique situation or past conversations were being taken into account, ie, we felt like a number. It is also fairly difficult to get timely appointments with a provider to discuss our questions and treatment plans; it definitely has not been offered or recommended and we have had to advocate for ourselves to schedule and schedule pretty far in advance, which can be stressful during the very uncertain journey of infertility treatment.Once I voiced my concerns about wanting more explanation for treatment decisions, Dr Mottla and our nurse did try to share more of the clinical thought process with me, which I appreciate greatly. I would like to see the default approach be to ask patients what level of information and explanation they appreciate. The staff at the Annapolis location also provides more explanation than the Columbia office. At the Annapolis office, the nurse meets with me after each labs/US visit to go over the plan and see if I have questions, which I LOVE, but the Columbia office doesn't do that, and I have to go to both offices due to where I work, so there have been miscommunication and misunderstandings esp when I go to the Columbia office. Finally, my partner has felt very removed from the process which has been hard on both of us. For reasons still somewhat unclear to me, Dr. Mottla called me initially to discuss my partner's semen analysis results instead of my partner, and wasn't planning on calling my partner until I asked him to; this felt very inappropriate to us and like an effort wasn't being made to include him. They say that they treat us "like a team", but all that really means is that everything falls on the woman, which leaves me feeling stressed and alone and him feeling excluded and ignored. Citing COVID protocols, my partner was excluded from my IUI ultrasound. We had been excited for him to be more involved and he is scientifically-minded, so I thought it would be cool for him to see the dominant follicle and be more involved in the process, as well as to be there to support me. Unfortunately, we didn't realize he couldn't come in until we were at the appt, so he spent the appt stewing in the car for 45 mins and I felt more alone than ever. I take COVID very seriously, but it is April 2022, he is fully vaccinated including booster, and I know firsthand that most offices and hospitals are lifting their restrictions, so it was all around upsetting and seemed to have little medical reasoning.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Advocate for yourself early and often. If you want to see him/discuss your treatment plan, schedule an appointment with plenty of advance notice. If you want to know the actual chances of success, ask for specific numbers; fertility care in general tends to default to toxic positivity which was counterproductive and upsetting for my partner and me.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
IUI x3, first clomid, then letrazole for last two cycles due to thin uterine lining (6mm) at day 8-9. Also used vaginal estrogen for first two cycles and menopur for last cycle. HCG trigger shot and vaginal progesterone used for all three cycles.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley Hall)
Ashley is a little newer to fertility care, so there were some miscommunications initially, but she listened to my feedback and since then, she has been proactive with communicating treatment plans and explanations with me. She is very professional, respectful, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I go to both the Annaoplis and Columbia clinics due to where I work. Staff at both are friendly and helpful. Toxic positivity has sometimes been an issue; for example staff telling me "that's so exciting" at the start of IUI, which was actually a pretty stressful and confusing time for us. At the Annapolis clinic, they have me meet with the nurse at the end of each labs/US appt which is VERY helpful and helps me feel comfortable with the plan. However, this is not done at the Columbia office, so there have been some miscommunication and confusion. I strongly recommend that patients advocate for themselves and ask questions as much as possible.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
No insurance coverage, paid $1440 for each IUI cycle and extra for meds
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Unknown
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have gotten conflicting information at times for treatment plans and reasoning, eg nurse told us that doctor recommended switching medications but didn't know why; one nurse told us a medication was for one thing and another nurse told us it was for something different. When my husband had his first semen analysis, there was an abnormal result but we didn't realize till he signed up for the portal 2 wks later; no one had called with the results, and when the doctor did call, they called me instead of my husband.
Gilbert Mottla

2020 - 2022, Successful
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Malik. From the very first appointment she outlined the options available to me and we created a game plan. When our initial plan did not work, we discussed a change in course and she listened to my concerns...Even though I did not see or speak to Dr. Malik every single time I was in the office for misc. appointments I always knew that my questions via the portal would be answered quickly...
Someone always answered the phones when I called which may sound minor but given my experience with other medical practices was a welcome change. Everyone was courteous and informed...The only weakness regarding the front desk staff is that I received inconsistent pricing for my IUI...Whenever she could, she would give me samples from the doctors office to help with costs. The duo of Dr. Malik and Patrice made this process easy.
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
I really enjoyed working with Dr. Malik. From the very first appointment she outlined the options available to me and we created a game plan. When our initial plan did not work, we discussed a change in course and she listened to my concerns. I had 2-3 virtual appointments with Dr. Malik. She called me after major milestones and conducted my egg transfer. I had no issues with the practice's set-up (i.e. most day-to-day communications occurring through nurses and inseminations occurring with NP/other physicians). Even though I did not see or speak to Dr. Malik every single time I was in the office for misc. appointments I always knew that my questions via the portal would be answered quickly.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be honest with her about your wishes. She listens and will respond accordingly. If you don't tell her, she can't help you.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
She always took the time to answer my questions which were plentiful and I never felt rushed through our appointments. She knew the facts of my case and I did not have to remind her about specifics.
Describe the protocols Shruti Malik used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I am a single mother by choice and my initial tests (Fall 2020) came back fine so we started out with unmedicated IUIs. I wanted to avoid pumping my body with meds if possible. I had planned on stopping the journey if I was unsuccessful after 3 IUIs. The second IUI resulted in a chemical pregnancy. After the third IUI I re-evaluated my options with Dr. Malik and decided that I did in fact want to keep going. I even decided that I would attempt a 4th IUI. If that was unsuccessful then I would switch to IVF, which I did. With the first stim cycle the objective was to have me on the lowest level meds possible. Sadly, my body did not respond to the meds so the cycle had to be cancelled. I was an emotional wreck and knew I only had 1 more cycle in me. Thus, I asked that she max me out to the highest level of meds that was safe to give me the best chance. She agreed and we did that for the second stim cycle. My body did respond and we ended up with 3 embryos. 1 was transferred fresh and 2 other were frozen.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Patrice Smith)
I adored Patrice. I had so many questions during the process that she promptly responded to. She had a great bedside manner. Even when her phone calls delivered bad news she would take her time to listen to me offer her insight on the process. When I transitioned to IVF I was concerned about the cost of the medications. Whenever she could, she would give me samples from the doctors office to help with costs. The duo of Dr. Malik and Patrice made this process easy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Someone always answered the phones when I called which may sound minor but given my experience with other medical practices was a welcome change. Everyone was courteous and informed. I enjoyed the fact that there were multiple offices I could visit based upon my schedule and availability. I split my time between Fair Oaks, which was opened Monday through Friday and handled my monitoring appointments, and Fairfax, which was opened on the weekends and handled inseminations/IVF procedures. I received the same high level of care at both offices. The only weakness regarding the front desk staff is that I received inconsistent pricing for my IUI. I had to pay out of pocket and it seemed like the staff was not used to this, thus I would be quoted between $200 - $250. I would just budget $250 and if it was less it would be a bonus to me. The finance department had some weakness as well. They were a bit slow to respond (compared to the speed of the nurses) and sometimes their explanations were unclear. However, I had heard that same complaint from others before I began working with the finance department so knowing that was the case I stayed on top of them. In the end, that weakness was insignificant to me in the grand scheme of things.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility.
$200-$250 per IUI $20K IVF procedure $7-10K IVF meds
Describe Shruti Malik's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Malik's position was that it best to transfer one embryo at a time due to the medical risks associated with multiples pregnancy. I was fine with this as I had no desire to have multiples.
Shruti Malik

2021 - 2022, Successful
She [Dr. Reh] clearly understood emotions were involved in our decision making process. She was patient as we took our time to decide next steps, changed our minds and was very reassuring with all of our concerns...She increased our letrizole dosage to help increase chances for pregnancy by having multiple eggs produced at once. She was always careful not to over stimulate. We also tried chlomid upon our own request and desire to try other ovulation stimulating medication. And finally she was a pro at our IVF...
The nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility] were extremely responsive to questions about the treatment. They not only provided detailed answers that were easy to follow, but they were very quick to respond...once you get to your first treatment, the place runs like a well oiled machine. Communication through the portal is extremely efficient and the pharmacy recommendations are phenomenal. Appointments are easy to schedule...
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I could not have asked for a better doctor. Fertility treatment is always challenging, but Dr. Reh made the process easier. She was extremely patient and excellent at making sure to address all of our concerns.
Follow the process and be patient because fertility treatment takes time (after all, one cycle is a minimum of 28 days).
She clearly understood emotions were involved in our decision making process. She was patient as we took our time to decide next steps, changed our minds and was very reassuring with all of our concerns..
She increased our letrizole dosage to help increase chances for pregnancy by having multiple eggs produced at once. She was always careful not to over stimulate. We also tried chlomid upon our own request and desire to try other ovulation stimulating medication. And finally she was a pro at our IVF. She carefully adjusted the medication for optimal results (maximizing the number of developed eggs at the same time) and we had resounding success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tammy, Brittany, Rachel)
The nurses were extremely responsive to questions about the treatment. They not only provided detailed answers that were easy to follow, but they were very quick to respond.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It takes a while to enter the system in terms of registering and initial testing. But once you get to your first treatment, the place runs like a well oiled machine. Communication through the portal is extremely efficient and the pharmacy recommendations are phenomenal. Appointments are easy to schedule.
My insurance only covered initial diagnostic treatment. The fertility treatment itself was out-of-pocket, though the clinic did give information on financial resources if needed.
We did PGT-A testing and therefore only did a single embryo transfer.

2021 - 2022, 30 Eggs Frozen
Listened to him [Dr. Widra], listen to yourself, ask questions- he will answer them...Very nerdy and wants the best outcome and will share lots of numbers with you, to ensure you have all the information to understand what’s going on. He was understanding and listened to me concerns when I had any. He often went into details until I I fully understood.
[Shady Grove Fertility is] Super effective and efficient with appointments. I’ve never waited more than 5 mins. Friendly and warm and welcoming. I don’t feel like a number, they know my face and ask how I am doing and if need anything. I’m on a first name bases with the staff after 2 appointments...[nurses are] Responsive, great listeners, knowledgeable, compassionate, funny, and angels!
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Listened to him, listen to yourself, ask questions- he will answer them.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was asked how I was feeling and coping by the doctor. He encouraged acupuncture which was my favorite part of this whole process.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Responsive, great listeners, knowledgeable, compassionate, funny, and angels!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
$7,500 for one egg freezing cycle without drugs

2019 - 2021, Successful
I got the sense that the nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] were extremely busy and did not have a lot of time to go over protocols, results, updates, etc. While I felt that they did their best to be responsive, sometimes the information they were conveying was unclear and it was like playing phone tag with the doctor. A few were compassionate but with others it felt like they were trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I believe Dr. Widra is very experienced, but I did not feel that my treatment protocol was particularly individualized and he did not have any interest in trying to uncover what could be causing infertility/miscarriage. As a result, I had several concerns with my treatment protocols that he did not address and our outcomes were different from what he had led us to expect. He also very rarely communicated directly with us and almost all interactions were handled by his nurses. I also felt that because we were likely to have a positive outcome eventually, my case was not prioritized and my treatment timeline was longer than necessary.
Ask as many questions as possible, and if something he says does not feel right, don't be afraid to raise it. I felt that he was not comfortable with having his treatment protocols questioned, but he was willing to explain his reasoning or make changes if you were persistent.
Dr. Widra is not very personable and does not get to know his patients. Throughout 2 years of seeing him we only had a few visits and he always repeated the same standard talking points. When I had my second miscarriage he called me but was clearly unfamiliar with my case notes and didn't realize it was my second. However, he was fairly responsive and answered our direct questions.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did two medicated cycles with letrozole and timed intercourse that were unsuccessful. At the time, Dr. Widra thought I could have PCOS and it was unclear whether IUI would make a difference. Later, our diagnosis was "unexplained" and we did an IUI with letrozole that led to a pregnancy and miscarriage due to a chromosomal abnormality. This was my second miscarriage and at that point we asked to go to IVF with genetic testing. Dr. Widra agreed this would likely be the most efficient treatment. For my first cycle I was on fairly low doses of gonal-F and Menopur because he still thought I could have PCOS, but I ended up getting a fairly low number of eggs. We did a freeze-all cycle with PGT-A testing. After the retrieval we were encouraged to do a FET immediately, even though we had been very clear that we wanted to bank embryos for future pregnancies and we did not have enough embryos to achieve that. We ended up doing a second egg retrieval with higher levels of gonal-F and Menopur, which led to more eggs being retrieved but fewer making it to the blastocyst stage. The successful embryos were frozen and underwent PGT-A testing, and then we proceeded with a medicated FET that was successful.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I got the sense that the nursing staff were extremely busy and did not have a lot of time to go over protocols, results, updates, etc. While I felt that they did their best to be responsive, sometimes the information they were conveying was unclear and it was like playing phone tag with the doctor. A few were compassionate but with others it felt like they were trying to get you off the phone as quickly as possible.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I chose this clinic because it had the best outcomes in the area by far. The lab seemed very well-run and overall, my treatments were organized. The physicians and the nursing teams were underwhelming and the only reason I stayed with this clinic was because of the outcome metrics.
My health insurance (Cigna, employer sponsored plan) covered all infertility treatment up to $25K after the deductible was met. Without insurance, the cost of each round of treatment without medications would have been between $15-18K. The clinic also offers shared risk and special rates for multiple rounds of IVF, including a refund if you do not have success.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Widra had a strong preference for eSET, and we agreed. He said that particularly since we were doing an FET with tested embryos that eSET was the best option.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were very clear that we wanted to bank a certain number of embryos for future pregnancies. Our doctor felt that we could easily achieve this number with one egg retrieval, but that was not the case. Unfortunately, even though we told the doctor and the nursing team several times that we wanted to do another retrieval, they still proceeded as though we were going straight to transfer and pressured us into doing an FET right away. We were also started on a treatment protocol they said could be for a retrieval, but when we refused to do an FET we were told we couldn't do a retrieval and ended up having to wait an extra two months because of the inappropriate protocol and then lab closures for holidays. Everyone was extremely defensive about this and refused to apologize for the delays or try to move up the timeline. We were also told frequently that because of our age we had "plenty of time" so the delays were not a big deal. The only offer they made during this time was to let us switch to a different doctor, but said this would further delay our timeline.

2020 - 2021, Unsuccessful
I felt the doctor [Dr. Eric Widra] was honest, and straight forward. I wish that there was more focus on ensuring the patient understood the process, and more hand holding...He was straight forward and direct. I felt like i could ask questions that i had and would get an answer. He is personable. I liked that we were able to access him as needed, and could get on his calendar for check ins. He's not overly verbose. I would have liked to be more informed around why he's making the decisions he is making as it pertained to protocol decisions.
[Shady Grove Fertility] Strength: Convenient location; broad network of doctors; decent sart/cdc stats Weakness: Patient needs to stay on top of every item to make sure nothing slips through the cracks - validate prescription, validate doses, ensure financial packages offered match to what the doctor advised (for us we had hiccups with this), validate costs and contract fine print, etc. Going through IVF is akin to having a part time job
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask direct questions. Communicate your overall family planning needs
I felt the doctor was honest, and straight forward. I wish that there was more focus on ensuring the patient understood the process, and more hand holding throughout the process by either the Dr, the Nurses or even a separate support staff.
Antagonist with Birth Control Pill priming x2 Antagonist with Estrogen Patch/Cetrotide priming x1 rational is unclear that wasn't discussed with me. We switched to Estrogen Patch to to belief that BCP might have been suppressing me
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: 3 different nurses)
Generally compassionate, but to the point. Not a lot of hand holding or time taken to really make sure it was understood. In general, questions were answered as asked. But information isn't 'pushed' to the patient. I mostly relied on Reddit to learn about the process, and what i need to ask in order to advocate for myself
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$25.6K USD - 2 cycle freeze all embryo banking w/ PGT-A testing $29K Shared Risk program, subsequent refund received due to lack of results
none
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The approach our doctor was advising, is not what the financial team presented. We found out 1 business day before our payment was due, that the package and contract we were about to sign, does not support the treatment plan the doctor recommended. This resulted in unnecessary stress and last minute decisions around how to proceed. With financial impacts.

Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr. Doyle himself was wonderful and caring. However, once our consult with him was over and we paid the fees, I felt like “just another number” on a list of pt’s where the nurse was concerned...He was a caring and compassionate doctor. We saw him as he is the international doctor that sees pt’s for egg donor consults and he took the time to explain the program to us. And he did follow up when our results for donor egg retrieval were much less than expected.
[Shady Grove Fertility] Egg donor coordinator and financial coordinator were very helpful, caring and treated us kindly. Dr. Doyle was very nice and caring...When our embryos were being transferred from SGF to our home clinic, FedEx lost them for four days and all I wanted were answers and she stopped all communication...Unfortunately, the situation described earlier, ruined our entire experience.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask more questions!
He only consulted prior to our donors egg retrieval. I was then transferred back to the care of my home clinic.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Gail Felperin)
I would send specific questions via email and had to ask them in multiple emails because she wouldn’t answer. Initially she was fine but she did not have a caring compassionate demeanour at all. When our embryos were being transferred from SGF to our home clinic, FedEx lost them for four days and all I wanted were answers and she stopped all communication. Nobody at the clinic would answer my questions. I just wanted reassurance that they would be ok for a those days they were lost and would stay frozen. Nobody would tell me anything. My husband and I spent four days calling airports, FedEx and the crypt shipping company. Everybody had a different story. We’ve been on this journey for 13 years and this week, when our embryos were lost in transit, were the worst and most stressful to endure. We paid close to $60,000 Canadian with SGF for donor eggs and then when something went wrong they washed their hands of us. Very disheartening. Gail was the only one I could communicate with through the portal and she just ignored my emails.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Egg donor coordinator and financial coordinator were very helpful, caring and treated us kindly. Dr. Doyle was very nice and caring. Unfortunately, the situation described earlier, ruined our entire experience.
$60,000 Canadian
See earlier answer.

2021, Consult
He [Dr. Howard McClamrock] didn’t really let me explain my story or discuss what i expected. He let me know what they offered and explained in detail what each procedure was and then told me that because of my size I’m not able to get any help from them. After f getting excited about the possibility of treatment and hearing what the clinic had to offer I was let down in that same breath.
I didn’t visit the [Shady Grove Fertility - Baltimore] facility in person so I am unable to attest the the building itself. The issue I didn’t have was because it was virtual I had to upload everything to their website and it was very complicated. Not a great experience there either...Find a doctor that is more sensitive to women going through infertility if you are in any way fragile. I was broken after my experience honestly.
How was your experience with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
His strength was he seemed very knowledgeable about the process. His weakness what that he should have told me before even explaining anything that i didn’t qualify. It’s like he wanted the copay money or something. They could have called and canceled me before getting my hopes up they had all my information and chose not to.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility?
He didn’t really let me explain my story or discuss what i expected. He let me know what they offered and explained in detail what each procedure was and then told me that because of my size I’m not able to get any help from them. After f getting excited about the possibility of treatment and hearing what the clinic had to offer I was let down in that same breath. It was no amount of explanation that i could give to even go any further in the process. The only option i was given was to pay out of pocket to have my husbands sperm tested. Which i explained he had done previously. I was devastated and haven’t had the heart to seek further opinions or treatment since.
Describe the protocols Howard McClamrock used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We never even got this far sadly.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I only had one experience with the nurses as my consult was virtual but I don’t remember her being kind or compassionate about the fact that I was ineligible for treatment at all. She just confirmed that they wouldn’t be able to treat me and when I asked about other places that could she said they wouldn’t either for reference I was interested and referred by my doctor for a tubal dye test.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I didn’t visit the facility in person so I am unable to attest the the building itself. The issue I didn’t have was because it was virtual I had to upload everything to their website and it was very complicated. Not a great experience there either.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Howard McClamrock at Shady Grove Fertility.
I wasn’t charged for anything other than the copay and the cost of the visit. The cost of the appointment was covered by my insurance so I don’t remember the cost and the copay was 40$
Describe Howard McClamrock's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
This was explained in great detail in the section about the doctor specifically.
Howard McClamrock
Baltimore
2020 - 2021, Successful
[Dr. Li] is an expert, but she is also very compassionate. She cares about her patients like her own family, not some cold numbers on the balance sheet. We had one failed transfer, but she encouraged me, adjusted the whole protocol, and was on top of each procedure. I respect her opinion and trust her judgement and professionalism...I was advised to do eSET because I had a high-risk pregnancy before.
The monitoring appointments are generally easy to schedule and on time. Occasionally it runs late...[our nurse] is a clear communicator, and you know she cares about you. We never had any issues working together...I think Shady Grove Fertility has great facility, doctors and nurses. The only weakness they have is the financial team and billing team. I wasn't happy with them. They made a lot of mistakes in my case.
How was your experience with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend Dr Nair to any close friends or relatives. She is an expert, but she is also very compassionate. She cares about her patients like her own family, not some cold numbers on the balance sheet. We had one failed transfer, but she encouraged me, adjusted the whole protocol, and was on top of each procedure. I respect her opinion and trust her judgement and professionalism. I finally got pregnant under her care after almost four years of trying. My husband and I thank her with our whole heart.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you are looking for a down to the earth, no fluffy and compassionate doctor with great expertise, she is your doctor to go.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Nair is very compassionate with her doctor. You can feel it when talking to her.
Describe the protocols Sandy Li used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was put on antibiotics to repress my immunity before transfer. She also used Lovenox to help with implantation. I think these two things finally helped me conceive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lana)
I love my nurse Lana. She is the best. She is a clear communicator, and you know she cares about you. We never had any issues working together.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Sandy Li at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered main costs, but I still paid about $12,000 including treatment and medication.
Describe Sandy Li's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was advised to do eSET because I had a high-risk pregnancy before.
Sandy Li

2020 - 2021, Successful
Dr. Reh is friendly and to the point. She does not dilly dally. She provided optimism in my fertility journey...I underwent 3 cycles of IUI. First with clomid, the following 2 cycles were w/ letrozole. I also used vaginal progesterone and estrogen. The 1st 2 cycles failed. Then prior to initiating a 3rd cycle, my thyroid studies were abnormal so I was referred to an endocrinologist and started on levothyroxine. My 3rd IUI was successful...
For me, the hours of operation [at Shady Grove Fertility] are important. I was able to undergo fertility treatments without missing any days of work. The flexible hours and minimal/or no wait times are huge bonuses to a successful medical practice...The nursing staff was excellent, communicated well and in a timely manor. The nurses are definitely the glue that keeps this practice running as efficiently as it does...$1800 for each IUI cycle and everything done within that cycle (ultrasounds, blood work).
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh is friendly and to the point. She does not dilly dally. She provided optimism in my fertility journey. I trusted her in my care. I had also heard excellent things about her from other patients/my personal friends.
She will do whatever it takes to get you pregnant and I would trust her advice even if you think it will never happen.
I felt like the staff cared about me and communicated regularly. I did not feel like a number.
I underwent 3 cycles of IUI. First with clomid, the following 2 cycles were w/ letrozole. I also used vaginal progesterone and estrogen. The 1st 2 cycles failed. Then prior to initiating a 3rd cycle, my thyroid studies were abnormal so I was referred to an endocrinologist and started on levothyroxine. My 3rd IUI was successful. I am now 8 weeks pregnant and hopeful this will be a successful pregnancy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
For me, the hours of operation are important. I was able to undergo fertility treatments without missing any days of work. The flexible hours and minimal/or no wait times are huge bonuses to a successful medical practice.
$1800 for each IUI cycle and everything done within that cycle (ultrasounds, blood work). I had to pay out of pocket for medications/whatever my insurance didn't cover. Seemed like reasonable pricing.

2021, Consult
Dr. Yazigi retired he was not heavily invested in my treatment. He was kind and friendly. He over prescribed tests that were already performed elsewhere. I had to go back to my obgyn for a second opinion of his diagnosis...He was friendly, humorous, & personable...[new patient advice] Do your research, you are your own best advocate.
[the Shady Grove Fertility clinic was] Dry, cold, frigid, distracted. The patient portal is effective but could be more timely. Answer the phone please you are a large corporation you should have phone reception easily accessible. Information is provided as you go, not ahead of time...$15k for one in vitro cycle. 25k for two in vitro cycles. $3000 for embryo testing.
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do your research, you are your own best advocate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was friendly, humorous, & personable.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.

2020 - 2021, Successful
He [Dr. Yazigi] was warm, took the time to listen to me and was straight forward...He is retired and not seeing patients - advice for future patient of shady grove is to not hold back on asking questions!..The nurses had very good communication with me and got back to me quickly with answers to any questions I had...
She [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] communicated mainly through the portal but got back to me within a few hours and made it easy to talk to her, like a friend...The nurses had very good communication with me and got back to me quickly with answers to any questions I had...They worked well with scheduling and getting tests done fast even in the prime of covid. When I got pregnant, all the staff was overly excited and happy for me...
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
The nurses had very good communication with me and got back to me quickly with answers to any questions I had. Dr. Yazigi said from the beginning that his goal was the same as mine and that was to get me pregnant ASAP!
He was warm, took the time to listen to me and was straight forward
Describe the protocols Ricardo Yazigi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We ruled all medical problems out. I was diagnosed with unexplained infertility with hypothyroidism. We were going to try IUI but I was able to get pregnant the cycle before
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
She communicated mainly through the portal but got back to me within a few hours and made it easy to talk to her, like a friend
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They worked well with scheduling and getting tests done fast even in the prime of covid. When I got pregnant, all the staff was overly excited and happy for me, including non medical staff when they heard I “ graduated” they even followed up after to see if I had a successful pregnancy
My insurance covered a great amount. I now live in a new state where there is no fertility coverage