6.9

Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192

2009 - 2013, Successful
My wife and I were clear that we wanted to get pregnant with IUI and if it wasn't going to happen, we thought we would accept that. It took almost 2 years to get pregnant the first time and Dr Widra respected our wishes and did not once attempt to push us into a different course of treatment, even though his #1 objective as a reproductive endocrinologist, is to get women pregnant as quickly as possible. I continue to be very grateful for that.
I had a few care coordinators [at Shady Grove], and generally they were fine. They have a hard job, managing emotionally challenging situations, calling with highly anticipated test results. But admittedly I never felt a real connection with any of them. I understand that that may be a lot to ask....Functionally competent, efficient, solid customer service....He was direct and compassionate when there was bad news. I appreciated his sense of humor, which he used adeptly and with sensitivity. It helped me keep a sense of perspective when things looked bleak. He did not make promises that weren't his to keep and he was helpful at managing our expectations.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
he treated us honestly and respectfully - like adults who don't need to be coddled - and while we certainly had some challenges, we now have 2 healthy kids. I'm not sure what else I can say. So much of this journey is out of our control.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
As I mentioned previously, we were patient with wanting to get pregnant with IUIs. I had 2 miscarriages before my daughter was born. I was given choices on how to conclude the miscarriages. Those choices were respected. After each, some test was proposed to see if there was an identifiable reason. There wasn't. And eventually I got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had a few care coordinators, and generally they were fine. They have a hard job, managing emotionally challenging situations, calling with highly anticipated test results. But admittedly I never felt a real connection with any of them. I understand that that may be a lot to ask.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Functionally competent, efficient, solid customer service.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
2 IUIs per cycle at $395 each, I think. My insurance did not pay for IUIs. Bloodwork, D&C, HSG we're all covered.
Eric Widra
2011 - 2013, Successful
I had seen 2 other doctors before I saw him and he was the first person who told me the truth. He also gave me statistics and recommendations but allowed me to think about them and process them before I made a decision. ... Dr. Levens was excellent at communication and used drawings, articles, and artifacts to help convey information. ... He always made me feel comfortable.
clean, updated facility [Shady Grove Fertility] with comfortable seating and plenty of reading materials they try to keep your privacy but that is hard to do when you are seated in a large waiting room. I actually saw someone there I wish I didn't run into. ... the following people were al excellent: Allison Murray, Alethia woodley, Amy Aldrich, Cerone kent ...
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had seen 2 other doctors before I saw him and he was the first person who told me the truth. He also gave me statistics and recommendations but allowed me to think about them and process them before I made a decision. his office was clean and equipment was new.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
see him sooner than later. Don't wait to see him. He needs time to test and try different things on your body. Also take his advise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens was excellent at communication and used drawings, articles, and artifacts to help convey information. he was very professional at telling me the truth and expectations of success. He always made me feel comfortable.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was told to lose some weight and change my diet to organic with lots of water each day. Then we did hormones 3 cycles and 2 embryo transfers. The the first time I took the hormones, my body wasn't ready for the embryo cycles so we stopped and waited till later. Then the next cycle, I was pregnant right away, but lost it after 10 weeks. we waited again for 4 months and tried again and had a successful pregnancy. Dr. Levens recommended donor eggs based on my age which I followed right away.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: angela menefee)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
clean, updated facility with comfortable seating and plenty of reading materials they try to keep your privacy but that is hard to do when you are seated in a large waiting room. I actually saw someone there I wish I didn't run into.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
I think it was around $27,000 plus the DNC and med costs
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I wanted multiples based on my age and no other children. The doctor did not recommend it but he understood my situation. he told me how hard it was to raise multiples and I didn't believe him. I'm lucky because we can afford to have help. he might want to prepare a sheet of how much things cost to show parents and have them sign it confirming they understand the risks before they do multiple transfers.
2010 - 2013, Unsuccessful
Dr. Levens is a nice doctor and well knowledge but maybe he needs to works in the way how to talk to his patients in certain circumstances.... When I did my IUI with Doctor Chang and I got a positive pregnancy test my husband and I went to the Shady Grove in Rockville... Dr Levens was on charge that morning and when he saw us he looks surprise to see us but not like his patient. When we explain what was the reason of our visit (positive test pregnancy) he said to us very serious “well sometimes the home pregnancy test are false positive so we are going to do blood test to confirm if you are pregnant or not”.
The staff of Annandale [Shady Grove] office were so nice and very knowledge. Easy to make an appointment. They made my first appointment with dr Levens, I think it was the most available at that time. They always call me to reminder my doctor’s appointment. They always welcome to the office and make you feel comfortable. The only problem was the waiting room was a little small (I was there more than 7 years ago) and the area were they taken the blood sample was really small too.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levens is a nice person but he made a comment that I didn’t like it. When I did my IUI with Doctor Chang and I got a positive pregnancy test my husband and I went to the Shady Grove in Rockville MD to do the blood test. We were so excited and nervous at the same time. Dr Levens was on charge that morning and when he saw us he looks surprise to see us but not like his patient. When we explain what was the reason of our visit (positive test pregnancy) he said to us very serious “well sometimes the home pregnancy test are false positive so we are going to do blood test to confirm if you are pregnant or not”. At that moment we felt really sad and nervous that could be a false positive, but luckily it wasn’t a false positive it was a BFP. I think that comment that Dr Levens made about the false positive (for a couple who were trying for almost 7 years to get pregnant) was a really bad one.
Dr. Levens is a nice doctor but I would you recommend dr Chang.
I did clomid and IUI. He did the hormones injections in the third or fourth day of my cycle and I have to go almost every day to the office to see is the medicine was working. In the 13 or 14 day of my cycle I did the trigger shot and next day I went to the office for the IUI. Sometimes dr Levens did the IUI other time a different doctor did the IUI.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They were really nice nurses and always answered your questions and calling you back most of the time the same day.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The staff of Annandale office were so nice and very knowledge. Easy to make an appointment. They made my first appointment with dr Levens, I think it was the most available at that time. They always call me to reminder my doctor’s appointment. They always welcome to the office and make you feel comfortable. The only problem was the waiting room was a little small (I was there more than 7 years ago) and the area were they taken the blood sample was really small too.
I don’t remember very well but I think it was more than $1500 per treatment.

2013, Unsuccessful
I was happy with the efficiency of the Shady Grove process, however, the waiting room area can feel very impersonal and crowded at times. Jordan was our point person for everything. She was on the ball, cheerful and genuinely wanted to see us succeed for us and not for the statistics of the clinic.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy has a long track record of several decades treating patients for infertility. He is affable and personable and confident in his abilities. For those with less challenging or complex fertility issues, I believe he would be a good fit. I did not feel in our case, as we discovered we discovered we had challenges, that he was flexible or open-minded in our chances for a successful round.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has a long history of treating patients and I believe there is something to be said for this depth of experience. However, if you discover you are a more challenging case, I would encourage exploring other doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was happy with the efficiency of the Shady Grove process, however, the waiting room area can feel very impersonal and crowded at times. With regard to our specific treatment by Dr. Levy, I thought he was very quick to jump the gun after our second failed IVF and suggest thinking about donor eggs. Not only did this seem premature to me, but it made me feel like my doctor was willing to go to bat for me.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jordan Blades)

2012 - 2013, Successful
When our results were not what everyone anticipated, she [Dr. Jeanne O'Brien] was ready with a plan B immediately. She called us immediately and assured us that she had a plan. There wasn't even a moment of uncertainty as to how we should proceed. Our cycle was definitely tailored to our unique fertility needs.
Shady Grove is nationally recognized for a reason. They have top notch technology and everyone who works there is really wonderful. A weakness might be that it is so big that you end up seeing many doctors throughout your treatment, but that is also a strength because the doctors can rely on each other for advice when necessary.
How was your experience with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
My children are alive because of Dr. O'Brien. Other doctors told us to give up hope, but she felt confident (seemingly against all odds) that we would be successful. We trusted her and fought for the treatment she recommended, and have our children because of it!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
Trust her. If she says you have hope, you do. If she says to move on to a donor, it's because you really do have to use a donor.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility?
When our results were not what everyone anticipated, she was ready with a plan B immediately. She called us immediately and assured us that she had a plan. There wasn't even a moment of uncertainty as to how we should proceed. Our cycle was definitely tailored to our unique fertility needs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Effie)
Effie is an angel. She's enormously reassuring and compassionate and really went above and beyond on our behalf.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeanne O'Brien at Shady Grove Fertility.
When our insurance ran out, the Shared Help and Shared Risk programs allowed us to continue treatment.
Jeanne O'Brien
2013, Unsuccessful
We only retrieved 3 eggs. We did a day 3 transfer of two embryos but were unsuccessful. Dr Yazigi recommended a slightly higher stim protocol which ultimately was converted to an IUI. He then recommended a protocol with lupron. I did not respond at all and was cancelled the cycle. He then recommended donor eggs...a very practical physician. I would describe his bedside manner as neutral. He isn’t unkind but also isn’t particularly warm.
Strengths [at Shady Grove Fertility: Very organized and efficient Weaknesses: Not much individualization of care...Danielle [nurse] was fantastic. She is incredibly thorough and kind...We only retrieved 3 eggs. We did a day 3 transfer of two embryos but were unsuccessful. Dr Yazigi recommended a slightly higher stim protocol which ultimately was converted to an IUI. He then recommended a protocol with lupron. I did not respond at all and was cancelled the cycle. He then recommended donor eggs.
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend Dr. Yazigi for someone with more common infertility diagnoses. For anything that requires more individualization of care, I’d suggest seeing a different doctor. In my opinion, Dr Yazigi was too quick to recommend donor eggs.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t hesitate to get a second opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Yazigi is a very practical physician. I would describe his bedside manner as neutral. He isn’t unkind but also isn’t particularly warm.
Describe the protocols Ricardo Yazigi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
At first my dx was unexplained infertility. He recommend 3 clomid IUIs. When none was successful, he mov d quickly to IVF on their standard “high responder” protocol. We only retrieved 3 eggs. We did a day 3 transfer of two embryos but were unsuccessful. Dr Yazigi recommended a slightly higher stim protocol which ultimately was converted to an IUI. He then recommended a protocol with lupron. I did not respond at all and was cancelled the cycle. He then recommended donor eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Danielle)
Danielle was fantastic. She is incredibly thorough and kind.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: Very organized and efficient Weaknesses: Not much individualization of care If you’re in the Baltimore/Towson area, you can’t beat the convenience. The Towson office was close to home and the Harbor East office was close to work.
2013, Successful
He [Dr. Bromer] knew my case and details and was very good at relaying information...We had a great experience. He adjusted cycles as needed and was great with communicating. He was personable and answered and questions we had. He was nice, sincere, empathetic, and genuine...able to diagnose and determine a treatment plan for us in a short amount of time
Everyone was incredibly nice and polite. I did not meet a single person [at Shady Grove Fertility-Frederick] I wasn’t happy with or felt or off by. My nurse was fantastic and answered my questions in a timely manner both through email and phone calls. The bloodwork nurses were fantastic as well...We did a shared risk program and paid $22,000 for our IVF. Medication was an extra expense. Our fresh cycle was approximately $7,000 in medication. The two frozen cycles were approximately $5000 in medication.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had a great experience. He adjusted cycles as needed and was great with communicating. He was personable and answered and questions we had. He was nice, sincere, empathetic, and genuine. I was very happy with our experience with Dr. Bromer.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
He knew my case and details and was very good at relaying information.
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I do not remember specifics. I triggered with Lupron.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone was incredibly nice and polite. I did not meet a single person. I wasn’t happy with or felt or off by. My nurse was fantastic and answered my questions in a timely manner both through email and phone calls. The bloodwork nurses were fantastic as well.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My clinic was great with communication and empathy. Everyone was polite and knowledgeable. They were able to diagnose and determine a treatment plan for us in a short amount of time. I think future patients should not judge the clinic by their first visit. You are literally a number when you go in for a consultation, but you become family.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Jason Bromer
2012 - 2013, Successful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She [Dr Osborn] was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online...Ask lots of questions. Ask her to tell you the numbers. I had to ask a few times to get to the bottom of it - I asked "Based on my numbers, what is the estimated number of cycles it will take to get to a live birth?" Then her answer was 2.6
Shady Grove is a factory. Good results, but I only saw Dr. Osborn 3 times the whole time I was there...Multiple locations, convenient, runs like a well oiled machine, but also feels like an assembly line...I actually signed up for shared risk program where you pay 2.5 times the cost of one cycle, with money returned if there was no live birth after 6 cycles.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online..
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
300 Gonal-f, 225 Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Linda Hocker)
I needed to get 1 extra vial for an extra day of meds but could not get it from the pharmacy downstairs and Linda was able to call the office and get me one
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
2010 - 2013, Successful
They [Shady Grove Fertility] did a nice job dealing with the insurance and let us know what we might have to pay for and how to get our drugs from insurance.Very helpful with scheduling appointments...Wish she [Dr. Osborn] had looked at why I couldn't do this on my own but on the whole she is a kind and caring doctor. In the end I did get the one thing I wanted... and then some. My twins are here because of her...We planned an IUI. She watched and my eggs took a long time to grow so lots of extra FSH shots. We had success on our first try...always felt like to goal was to just have a baby .. not to find out why I couldn't get pregnant on my own
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Wish she had looked at why I couldn't do this on my own but on the whole she is a kind and caring doctor. In the end I did get the one thing I wanted... and then some. My twins are here because of her.
Ask why you can't get pregnant on your own... there are other medical issues from infertility
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They did a nice job dealing with the insurance and let us know what we might have to pay for and how to get our drugs from insurance.Very helpful with scheduling appointments..............................
this was back in the day when insurance plans covered things.... I paid almost nothing
No nothing

2011 - 2012, Unknown Success
She [Dr Osborn] did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
The waiting room [at Shady Grove on K Street] is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is a very knowledgeable doctor. I would describe her as clinical; meaning that she knows a lot but is always thinking about the medical side of things. I did not really feel like I could talk with her about the emotional part of the IVF process. I also didn't feel like I could ask questions about my treatment outside of any appointments we had. She did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
Be assertive during your appointments with her and ask a lot of questions then, because I felt she was hard to talk with otherwise.
She was a good but impersonal doctor. She definitely explained the process fully, but I didn't see her except when there was something major to discuss (like a negative pregnancy test.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi was a great nurse - she was extremely attentive and communicative during the process. She was very responsive to any emails I sent and answered all questions quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is very well-run. It's very organized. It is convenient - there are multiple locations, and I could go to different locations for blood draws or ultrasounds if a certain one was closer (i.e., if I was doing errands on a Saturday in Baltimore, I could go to a MD location and they'd do the work and have the results.) The waiting room is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
It was crowded but organized. There was a sign in sheet and then you were called from it. The waits were not too bad considering the number of people being treated. Everybody was very efficient. They were also nice but not overly chatty or personal. I could get some quick questions answered, but mostly they referred me to my nurse, who was excellent about answering anything, and doing it quickly.
Our insurance covered half of the care. We were told that our negotiated rate with our carrier (Kaiser) was the lowest of the insurance providers who covered fertility treatments. I think our costs were about $10k for the IVF with egg retrieval and about $5k for the second cycle of just the embryo transfer. This included all of my medication (purchase separately) and frozen embryo storage.
2012, Unknown Success
I only got to work with Dr. Saffan in the initial diagnosis phase before we had to move away, but I feel like the was very thorough and went through explanation of all of the medical tests that needed to be done and why. After results for each test came in he sat down and explained them to us with patience and understanding, letting us ask questions but not letting us get overwhelmed all at once. In hindsight I would have liked one more test to diagnose my endometriosis earlier on but I understand that it is not an industry standard.
The financial advisor [at Shady Grove in Fair Oaks] was excellent in pulling our benefits and showing us what would be out of pocket, which was very little....Its a huge network and they have all of the latest resources and technology. I wish I had had the opportunity to stay in the area and complete my treatment at Shady Grove. I felt safe and taken care of there...Dr. Saffan ran hormone tests, HSG, genetic testing, as well as the usual pre-pregnancy blood tests. He presented the genetic testing well, which I can attest to because it is my educational background.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to ask questions, he is does not shy away from anything you might want to know. If he thinks it will overwhelm you more than inform, trust him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan was the first doctor we went to about our infertility issues. He was very honest and open about expectations. He answered all of our questions and took his time with us in the initial visit and subsequent visits. He was kind but to the point and fact driven. He was one of the best doctors I had.
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My initial diagnosis that I knew I had was PCOS. Dr. Saffan ran hormone tests, HSG, genetic testing, as well as the usual pre-pregnancy blood tests. He presented the genetic testing well, which I can attest to because it is my educational background.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had good insurance through Fairfax County. The mayority of the procedures were covered through the insurance. The financial advisor was excellent in pulling our benefits and showing us what would be out of pocket, which was very little.
Fair Oaks
2006 - 2012, Successful
My second cycle was three days after my 35th birthday. Dr. Yagizi convinced me that I had to go with three embryos because I was of advanced maternal age, even if only by 3 days. And it was my second try. Thankfully I only ended up with twins. I liked all of the advice and treatments until I hyperstimulated and was hospitalized. That was awful and I had to have all the fluid drained four times!... I really liked Dr. Yagizi, but Dr. Katz was the doctor I usually saw and although I was able to have twins, I was hyperstimulated so badly for the second cycle that I had to be hospitalized for a week. That didn't give me a ton of confidence in them.
Check their [SGF- Towson] hyperstimulation rate. The doctors and nurses were great, but I think the treatment was way too aggressive considering they retrieved 21 eggs from just one ovary. Dr. Katz was great with giving me advice when I came in and he recommended going straight to IVF since I only had one ovary so my insurance would cover that. I do think he was misleading however when he explained the process because I was surprised he insisted on a second fresh retrieval for my second IVF even though I had plenty of frozen. I didn't understand that fresh was so much more effective than frozen.
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Make sure you don't get hyperstimulated!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Check their hyperstimulation rate. The doctors and nurses were great, but I think the treatment was way too aggressive considering they retrieved 21 eggs from just one ovary. Dr. Katz was great with giving me advice when I came in and he recommended going straight to IVF since I only had one ovary so my insurance would cover that. I do think he was misleading however when he explained the process because I was surprised he insisted on a second fresh retrieval for my second IVF even though I had plenty of frozen. I didn't understand that fresh was so much more effective than frozen.

2011 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Osheroff was detailed and supportive of us. He is not overly emotional but was very informational. ... Shady Grove and Dr. Osheroff are strongly committed to the eSET philosophy, but ultimately it was our decision. ... Don’t expect him to be super emotional and listen to his advise. ... your contact with your doctor is limited by having to see other physicians when you are required to do most of the IVF procedures at the main clinic. ...
In my opinion Shady Grove is a numbers oriented practice, but you should not let that discourage you from seeking treatment as the standard of care is high. Every step of our treatment was ultimately our decision and we were respected. ... The entire staff in Columbia were warm and supportive. ... Shady Grove and Dr. Osheroff are strongly committed to the eSET philosophy, but ultimately it was our decision.
How was your experience with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Osheroff was detailed and supportive of us. He is not overly emotional but was very informational. The worst part of the process at Shady Grove is that your contact with your doctor is limited by having to see other physicians when you are required to do most of the IVF procedures at the main clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t expect him to be super emotional and listen to his advise.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility?
The entire staff in Columbia were warm and supportive.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff is the best part of the Columbia office, and frankly they are the ones you have the most contact with due to your daily monitoring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Osheroff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Fresh IVF cycle was around $19,000. Our yearly cryo for the 7 extra embryos we froze is $650/year.
Describe Joseph Osheroff's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Joseph Osheroff
2012, Unsuccessful
Dr levens explained each step of the process with candid success rates. During 1st pregnancy baby was diagnosed with Turners syndrome...Dr.Levens candidly counseled me on my options. He was the most thoughtful physician I've ever met. I believed he truly cared about me and my situation... He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
[Shady Grove] Very organized. A well oiled machine. Saw patients from all over the world. I came from out of state because of the shared donor/shared risk program...37k shared risk. If I didn't have a live pregnancy in six tries, I would receive my money back...Dr Levens was excellent, candid, and compassionate. He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Please see my previous response. Dr Levens was excellent, candid, and compassionate. He helped me understand the donor egg process, answered every email, called back with answers to all of my questions.
Ask many questions. He is willing to take the time to answer.
Dr levens explained each step of the process with candid success rates. During 1st pregnancy baby was diagnosed with Turners syndrome. (Most difficult time in my life). Dr.Levens candidly counseled me on my options. He was the most thoughtful physician I've ever met. I believed he truly cared about me and my situation.
I cannot remember specifics. I was on BC pills, Lupron, estrogen IM and Progestrone IM.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Joan Coleman )
Excellent.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Given my age. And donor eggs, dr. Levels was quite emphatic on a eset
2009 - 2012, Unsuccessful
Dr. Katz was a compassionate doctor, and despite not having a successful pregnancy I would recommend him as a physician to someone dealing with infertility....He communicates well the plan of treatment and changes throughout the course of the treatment. He demonstrated compassion after a failed egg retrieval and informed myself and my husband with the change in our plan....Bravelle, Menopur, Gonal F, HCG, ICSI....ask any and all questions you may have along the way.
Clinic [Shady Grove - Bel Air] was very profession and aesthetically appealing. The staff was courteous and kind during every visit. They demonstrated an interest in our personal journey and desire for success. They were saddened when we didn’t succeed and they want to stay in contact with us despite going to another fertility clinic for our last attempt....[Cost Of Treatment] $20000.00...Dr. Katz was a compassionate doctor, and despite not having a successful pregnancy I would recommend him as a physician to someone dealing with infertility.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Take notes, and ask any and all questions you may have along the way.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Eugene Katz (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Bravelle, Menopur, Gonal F, HCG, ICSI
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Clinic was very profession and aesthetically appealing. The staff was courteous and kind during every visit. They demonstrated an interest in our personal journey and desire for success. They were saddened when we didn’t succeed and they want to stay in contact with us despite going to another fertility clinic for our last attempt.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
$20000.00
Eugene Katz (retired)
Bel Air
2009 - 2012, Unknown Success
I thought he [Dr. Mottla] was very understanding and I liked his approach to things. He was a good listener. He talked through the options carefully and did not discourage me from skipping IUI (due to being age 41) and going straight to IVF...He was great, but the nurse who I mostly worked with was a bit scattered and did not communicate as well as I would have liked... I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose.
I don't have any concerns about this clinic. [Shady Grove - Annapolis] I used it because it was convenient. I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose. That person wanted to charge $250, but I talked with someone I know who charged less than half of that...He [Dr Mollta] was great, but the nurse who I mostly worked with was a bit scattered and did not communicate as well as I would have liked...about $13,000 or $14,000 for one IVF cycle.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I thought he was very understanding and I liked his approach to things. He was a good listener. He talked through the options carefully and did not discourage me from skipping IUI (due to being age 41) and going straight to IVF.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dana)
She seemed a bit scattered and it wasn't always clear to me what was coming next.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I don't have any concerns about this clinic. I used it because it was convenient. I did not like that they required a meeting with a psychologist that THEY chose. That person wanted to charge $250, but I talked with someone I know who charged less than half of that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid about $3,000 for medications, plus about $13,000 or $14,000 for one IVF cycle. I can't recall the exact total.
Gilbert Mottla
Annapolis
2009 - 2012, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Saffan] is a straight shooter.... he will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions. He spoke with me and my husband and explained all of my challenges and how to overcome them. In the end I had to readjust my diet and loose weight to have a better result for another possible IUI... He spoke to me yet I am a complicated case. He handled himself well.... The staff [Shady Grove- Annandale] was great they got to know me by name.
It [Shady Grove - Annandale] was welcoming and friendly and soothing. I was comfortable and welcomed. My husband was uncomfortable but when we came in to the office a lot of his concerns eased. I had to come back multiple time alone and it was always welcoming. The staff was great they got to know me by name....he [Dr. Saffan] will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions.... He handled himself well.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is a straight shooter.... he will tell the truth and give you all the info to make your decisions. He spoke with me and my husband and explained all of my challenges and how to overcome them. In the end I had to readjust my diet and loose weight to have a better result for another possible IUI
Please be willing to hear the truth.
He spoke to me yet I am a complicated case. He handled himself well.
I forgot I am so sorry
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Yes)
Very good and communicable
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It was welcoming and friendly and soothing. I was comfortable and welcomed. My husband was uncomfortable but when we came in to the office a lot of his concerns eased. I had to come back multiple time alone and it was always welcoming. The staff was great they got to know me by name.
My insurance paid for most of my expenses so all I had to pay for was my copay and medicines
Describe David Saffan's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
2011 - 2012, Successful
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He didn't really realize how painful the whole process was for us. However, he was friendly and explained things well.
Though they changed nurses on me during my treatment, I am actually glad they did cause my new nurse was awesome.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
At times I felt as the Dr did so often, he didn't really realize how painful the whole process was for us. However, he was friendly and explained things well.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions if you don't understand something
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
I think especially the nurses did a great Job. Though they changed nurses on me during my treatment, I am actually glad they did cause my new nurse was awesome
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Donna Materia-Hoover)
Donna was always so fun. Yes we all knew the reason why where there, but she would not make it the focus of our meetings, if you understand what I mean. She would ask questions, engage us in conversations that had nothing to do with IVF or the needles I had to prick myself with. I sometimes just needed that.
Arthur Sagoskin
2010 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Osborn met with us to understand who we are, our background, etc. She met with us again to review genetics study tesults and explain everthing. She came in to see me during most of my visits, and she followed up after my daughter was born....She took time to get to know my husband and me....I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF....hey know exactly what they are doing and have all the facilities with the most recent technology.
Shady Grove is THE place to go! They know exactly what they are doing and have all the facilities with the most recent technology. I went to clinics in DC, VA, MD and PA depending on my travel schedule....Dr. Osborn met with us to understand who we are, our background, etc. She met with us again to review genetics study tesults and explain everthing. She came in to see me during most of my visits, and she followed up after my daughter was born....She took time to get to know my husband and me....I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Use her!!! She is terrific!
She took time to get to know my husband and me.
I followed a traditional course of treatment with clomid, IUI, then IVF.
Sibley
2006 - 2012, Successful
Dr. Esposito was patient and caring. During our experience she willing to explain the reproductive science, as well as, health risks. She had a sense of humor but was absolutely professional. We received excellent care and results!...[protocols] Tracking menstral cycle and learning about fertile periods....The clinic [Shady Grove] was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential.
The clinic [Shady Grove] was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential. The clinics waiting space and it’s medical rooms were all comfortable environments. They answered phone calls and questions in a timely manner....[Nursing Staff] Professional and caring...Dr. Esposito was patient and caring. During our experience she willing to explain the reproductive science, as well as, health risks.
How was your experience with Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Melissa Esposito at Shady Grove Fertility?
Eat well, keep stress at bay and trust your Doctor.
Describe the protocols Melissa Esposito used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Tracking menstral cycle and learning about fertile periods.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Professional and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was kept very clean and the staff was extremely professional. Any medical advice that was offered was personal and confidential. The clinics waiting space and it’s medical rooms were all comfortable environments. They answered phone calls and questions in a timely manner.
Melissa Esposito
2009 - 2012, Successful
I felt that Dr. Levy knew who we were but that the staff did not. [He was] very professional, very reassuring and I felt very comfortable....He adjusted the day to return for the IUI of the blastocyst - and came in on weekend. [Cost of treatment was] expensive because insurance did not cover the costs.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Very professional, very reassuring and I felt very comfortable.
You are in good hands.
I felt that Dr. Levy knew who we were but that the staff did not.
Describe the protocols Michael Levy used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility.
Expensive because insurance did not cover the costs.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Just some minor miscommunication about the medicines.
2010 - 2011, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Dr Yazigi clearly loves his work. At the same time, aside from our initial meeting and a skype meeting when we wanted to have a second child, we never met him. He was the one to make the phone calls when there was bad news, and he was always willing to talk on the phone when I had a question. I'd recommend him, but I'm not sure that another doctor at the practice would be just as good.
Shady Grove is big. At times it felt like I was on an assembly line. At the same time, the shared risk program is unbeatable. When attempts for a second child (with a new egg donor) were not successful, 100% of our money was refunded. We would have rather had another child, but at least we didn't lose the money from unsuccessful attempts...Doris Thomas was my main contact at the clinic. She was always present and accounted for. She answered my questions, was kind and sympathetic. Even though she was probably overseeing many patients, when I spoke with her I often felt like I was her only patient. She is great!
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Expect to be one of many patients. Expect someone who knows his stuff and loves his work, and someone who wants you to have a baby, but don't expect a lot of hand holding.
Dr. Yazigi was always either available to talk or returned my calls promptly. He spent the time with us that we needed to talk about what was happening. He was kind and sympathetic, especially when there was bad news.
My treatment was pretty straightforward: drugs to build up my uterine lining and drugs to help the embryo implant. We went straight for egg donation IVF, so not a lot of different protocols. Before treatment to get pregnant could begin, I did have a hysteroscopy, where he found polyps. I had them removed and then we moved forward with getting me pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Doris Thomas)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
About 40,000 including all meds and holistic support therapy (acupuncture, etc.) for the first try. This includes the shared risk fee for 1 donor/3 recipients. We also had our embryos tested for genetic problems before we transferred them.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
At the beginning, when I was scheduled for a hysteroscopy, I was prescribed too low a dose of the medication I needed. The procedure, for which we traveled out of town to the clinic and rented a hotel room, had to rescheduled so that I could take the right dose of medicine.
2004 - 2011, Successful
I did not like his [Dr. Michael Levy] bedside manner- I thought he was callous and not compassionate to the emotional turmoil. However, he helped me to concieve my son (17 months of treament) and ultimately my daughter (donor egg and gestational carrier) and I will always be eternally grateful for his success. I don't think he is "nice" but I think he knows what he is doing...As the intended mother I was not always made aware of what drugs were being prescribed and timelines for procedures with my donor and my gestational carrier. This was very frustrating.
The whole process was very emotional and the office [Shady Grove Fertility] didn't always communicate clearly and when I called to inquire (usually about a medication or timing) I was once told "to just wait" and that he wasn't doing the transfer until HE [Dr. Michael Levy] was ready. m(He later apologized)...As the intended mother I was not always made aware of what drugs were being prescribed and timelines for procedures with my donor and my gestational carrier. This was very frustrating.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
I did not like his bedside manner- I thought he was callous and not compassionate to the emotional turmoil. However, he helped me to concieve my son (17 months of treament) and ultimately my daughter (donor egg and gestational carrier) and I will always be eternally grateful for his success. I don't think he is "nice" but I think he knows what he is doing.
Do not expect warm and fuzzy and don't take it personally.
The whole process was very emotional and the office didn't always communicate clearly and when I called to inquire (usually about a medication or timing) I was once told "to just wait" and that he wasn't doing the transfer until HE was ready. m(He later apologized)
I spent seventeen months taking clomid and metformin until my son was concieved (2002) and then used an egg donor and a gestational carrer (3 transfers with 2 separate carriers) with my daughter born in 2009. I do not remember all the drugs used for the egg retrieval and insemination.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was very hit or miss and some were definitely more compassionate than others.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic is a reflection of the doctor. Sometimes as a patient I was made to feel my questions or concerns were an inconvienience.
Insurance covered my 17 months of infertility. Egg Donor and retrieval was about $20,000 Transfers were in the $10,000 range each if I remember correctly.

2009 - 2011, Unsuccessful
While I was pregnant, she [Dr Lorna Timmreck] ordered me to stop taking endometrin, because she did not think my Beta's were high enough and could not see the sack in my uterus. I begged her to give me more medication, but she refused. Shortly afterwards, I started bleding and lost the baby. Afterwards, I showed my Betas to two other fertility clinics - both were shocked at Timmreck's decision to stop a potentially viable pregnancy.
The good [at Shady Grove fertility of Columbia] : Lots of locations and (almost) convenient hours. Many doctors to choose from with pretty brochures in nice offices. The support groups are great. The bad: patients are just numbers - no individual treatment plans. Patients are mostly seen by nurses and rushed staff members.
How was your experience with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
While I was pregnant, she ordered me to stop taking endometrin, because she did not think my Beta's were high enough and could not see the sack in my uterus. I begged her to give me more medication, but she refused. Shortly afterwards, I started bleding and lost the baby. Afterwards, I showed my Betas to two other fertility clinics - both were shocked at Timmreck's decision to stop a potentially viable pregnancy.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Get a new doctor - I did and was treated MUCH better by someone else. Plus, I now have a baby!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Despite being her patient for years, she did not even remember my husband's name and seemed to care more about my shoes than us, as human beings.
Describe the protocols Lorna Timmreck used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Started with a natural iui, then progressed to three standard iui's, then to two ivf's with ganeralix, gonal f and menopur. Second ivf resulted in a pregnancy, but Timmreck had me stop the endometrin due to low Betas, so I lost the baby.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Stephanie)
She was kind, but nervous. The staff was ok and there was one phlembotomist who was great. The other one I tried to avoid.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The good: Lots of locations and (almost) convenient hours. Many doctors to choose from with pretty brochures in nice offices. The support groups are great. The bad: patients are just numbers - no individual treatment plans. Patients are mostly seen by nurses and rushed staff members.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was mostly covered by insurance and had to only pay for medications, which ended up to be a few thousand dollars in total.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I believe I lost a baby due to my doctor's decision.
Lorna Timmreck
2009 - 2011, Successful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I went to this clinic [Shady Grove of Rockville] for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time...IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000...I switched to Dr. Levy because I did not like his partner at the same clinic. Dr. Levy treated me like a person and I always felt like I had his undivided attention. If fact when I switched to him, I had been under the other doctors care for over a year and had had 8 IUI treatments with no success and the other doctor never stopped to ask "what is going on here?". Immediately upon beginning to see Dr. Levy he assessed me and my treatment and began to look further into why I wasn't getting pregnant which resulted in a different direction of treatment.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy is a kind, patient man. He got to know me on a personal level. At our initial meeting he came to get me from the waiting room and asked me about the book I had been reading. I felt good about him overseeing my treatment and I didn't have an easy time with anything related to fertility.
If you can get him as your doctor do so!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I really loved my first nurse Lindsay which is why I ended up staying with my first doctor longer than I should have. Most of my dealings were with her and she was amazing. When she left Shady Grove I decided to get a new doctor as I did not like my first.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I went to this clinic for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time.
I went in during monitoring hours which worked for me. I thought the techs were super nice and friendly.
IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000