6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192

2009 - 2011, Successful
Surrogacy With Other Docs
I went to this clinic [Shady Grove of Rockville] for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time...IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000...I switched to Dr. Levy because I did not like his partner at the same clinic. Dr. Levy treated me like a person and I always felt like I had his undivided attention. If fact when I switched to him, I had been under the other doctors care for over a year and had had 8 IUI treatments with no success and the other doctor never stopped to ask "what is going on here?". Immediately upon beginning to see Dr. Levy he assessed me and my treatment and began to look further into why I wasn't getting pregnant which resulted in a different direction of treatment.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Levy is a kind, patient man. He got to know me on a personal level. At our initial meeting he came to get me from the waiting room and asked me about the book I had been reading. I felt good about him overseeing my treatment and I didn't have an easy time with anything related to fertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you can get him as your doctor do so!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Lindsay)
I really loved my first nurse Lindsay which is why I ended up staying with my first doctor longer than I should have. Most of my dealings were with her and she was amazing. When she left Shady Grove I decided to get a new doctor as I did not like my first.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I went to this clinic for over 2.5 years and got to know everyone quite well. Everyone was very friendly, and they mostly ran on time.
I went in during monitoring hours which worked for me. I thought the techs were super nice and friendly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility.
IUI was about $1500 IVF was about $10,000 Donor egg (shared) was about $20,000
2009 - 2010, Successful
Dr. Saffan came across right from the beginning as experienced and practical. He was kind and compassionate without ever condescending...After a short break, we did another IVF cycle with the same drug protocol as the first cycle. This time there were two good embryos, so Dr. Saffan recommended transferring both. The cycle was successful for both embryos and I delivered healthy twins.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility of Annandale] was easy to interact with, pleasant to visit (or as pleasant as possible under the circumstances), and well organized. I appreciated that different types of visits were concentrated at different times of day. I could get in very early in the morning for blood draws and never ran into pregnant women.
How was your experience with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan came across right from the beginning as experienced and practical. He was kind and compassionate without ever condescending. As a patient, I was looking for a doctor who would tell me exactly what to do and he did. He was accessible when we had questions and maintained an even keel through ups and downs.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with David Saffan at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Saffan was compassionate, direct, and thorough. I felt like he knew my case, he knew me and my husband, and he wanted us to succeed.
Describe the protocols David Saffan used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
If insurance had not been a factor, Dr. Saffan would have steered us directly to IVF. As our insurance did not provide coverage for IVF without first undergoing 3 cycles of IUI, he took us through that process. First we did a basic workup to rule out anything obvious. Then, we did 3 cycles of IUI, all of which were unsuccessful. We took a short break to do further testing and identified a blood clotting factor that we addressed in subsequent treatment. We took a class to understand all the processes of IVF and underwent our first cycle. We had a great embryo and did a single embryo transfer, which Dr. Saffan preferred and recommended to avoid multiples. We had a positive pregnancy test and heartbeat, but lost the pregnancy at 9 weeks. After a short break, we did another IVF cycle with the same drug protocol as the first cycle. This time there were two good embryos, so Dr. Saffan recommended transferring both. The cycle was successful for both embryos and I delivered healthy twins.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I have a really hard time with blood draws, which is awful for fertility treatment. All of the nurses were very patient and supportive and the one or two who were best at getting my blood made an extra effort to help me out.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was easy to interact with, pleasant to visit (or as pleasant as possible under the circumstances), and well organized. I appreciated that different types of visits were concentrated at different times of day. I could get in very early in the morning for blood draws and never ran into pregnant women.
David Saffan
Fairfax

2009 - 2010, Successful
She [Dr Garde] always took plenty of time when me. I never felt like I was rushed. She answered every question I had and I never felt like a question was ignored....We traveled from another state because having a singleton was very important to us. Dr. Garde understood that. We did two cycles with her and she always adjusted the protocols as needed along the way.
We traveled from out of state because we wanted to be at a clinic that helped people achieve singleton pregnancies. We felt that other clinics downplayed the risk of carrying twins (not just higher-order multiples). They [Shady Grove] were very used to working with out-of-state patients and we appreciated that.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Garde was easy to talk to and she really attempted to get a feel for what was important to US.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Travel as far as you need to to see Dr. Garde!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
She always took plenty of time when me. I never felt like I was rushed. She answered every question I had and I never felt like a question was ignored.
Describe the protocols Rachana Garde used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Mary)
Every time we called Mary, she picked up the phone herself. We never had to leave messages with voicemail or with a receptionist. We had ONE nurse and she was easily accessible. That meant a lot to us.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
We traveled from out of state because we wanted to be at a clinic that helped people achieve singleton pregnancies. We felt that other clinics downplayed the risk of carrying twins (not just higher-order multiples). They were very used to working with out-of-state patients and we appreciated that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
Another reason we chose this clinic is because they had one of the most generous shared help plans in the country. We did misunderstand the plan (our fault) and did not use it the first cycle (although we had an income-based discount). If we had had a full understanding of the program, we would have ended up saving ourselves the cost of that one cycle.
Rachana Garde
Woodbridge

3 Egg Freezing With Other Docs
He was kind, engaged, focused on me and my issues, while being forthcoming and honest. Did not have a God complex like I saw at Dominion Fertility.
[The nursing staff was] good but not always as on the ball as I wanted given how anxious you tend to be... One Friday I did not receive an update call. It was v frustrating but not unforgivable.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Done previously.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Use other tools to keep perspective such as yoga and meditation.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Good but not always as on the ball as I wanted given how anxious you tend to be. They were good but it is the hardest thing most of their patients have ever gone through.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
2003 - 2010, Successful
Extraordinary physician [Michael Levy] who is medically excellent and emotionally intelligent....He focused on medical, emotional and financial aspects of care and conveyed warmth and hope....You will love him.
My nurse [at Shady Grove] felt like a partner. She cared as much about our outcome as we did. [The clinic was] cheerful, friendly, energetic, organized, efficient. Well run.
How was your experience with Michael Levy at Shady Grove Fertility?
Extraordinary physician who is medically excellent and emotionally intelligent.
You will love him.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kathy bugge)
My nurse felt like a partner. She cared as much about our outcome as we did.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Cheerful, friendly, energetic, organized, efficient. Well run.
It was mostly covered by insurance
Rockville

We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment....He [Dr. McKeeby] seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam...Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
They’d say they’d call and then they [Shady Grove Salisbury] wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders....Provided medication charts were halfway completed, failed to be informed of exam results... which ultimately delayed starting treatment, issues with prescriptions being called in
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
He seems like a nice guy, but there was never any real follow up or interest in my case. He arrived to an appointment unprepared and clearly didn’t review my test results... as they were incomplete and required a follow up exam. This somehow slipped through the cracks (one of many times overall with this clinic). I’m still trying to figure out if this was the fault of Dr. Mckeeby, the nurses or the clinic’s organization. Either way, it’s super disappointing. Finally, Dr. McKeeby was supposed to follow up with me after our final meeting regarding the next steps and he never did...
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
We met with him for our initial consultation and after that we essentially never saw him again during treatment. During that time, I can 100% say he wouldn’t recognize me as a patient if he saw me in the waiting room.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
They’d say they’d call and then they wouldn’t. They’d forget to relay test results. Ordering medication was a nightmare thanks to no help on their part. The nurses/staff don’t seem to really make a connection with the patients because it’s always a different nurse calling with results, or communicating the doctor’s orders. We are all just numbers.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I was so hopeful that SGF would help my husband and I. Words can’t explain how disappointed I am with their organization as a whole. If I would have gotten pregnant right away I’d be happy because a) I wouldn’t have experienced the many weaknesses of their organization after treating there for a year, and b) I’d have a baby. This clinic is for women who get pregnent within two cycles. Anything more than that, you’ll learn that you’re just a number. The only reason I stayed for so long is because I was desperate and there a few other choices in the area.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered most costs.
What specific things went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Annapolis office - Provided medication charts were halfway completed, failed to be informed of exam results... which ultimately delayed starting treatment, issues with prescriptions being called in or lack thereof, was told by Nursing staff it wasn’t worth doing insurance appeal against doctor’s advice, getting in touch with nurses was difficult, lack of empathy from staff, lack of communication, etc, etc.
Jeffrey McKeeby
Salisbury
Egg Freezing With Other Docs
I highly recommend Dr. Widra. Friends have been successful. He is honest, compassionate, trustworthy and very skilled....Go see him. You will know where you stand and he will always be up front.
They [the staff at Shady Grove] understood the journey on which you were embarking and the emotion surrounding it. Dr. Widra and all of the Shady Grove staff were so compassionate...When I got a negative result she could not have been kinder and more compassionate.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go see him. You will know where you stand and he will always be up front.
They understood the journey on which you were embarking and the emotion surrounding it. Dr. Widra and all of the Shady Grove staff were so compassionate. When I read the story of this site's founders I was compelled to do the survey because we were lucky enough to have a great experience. And I am confident I would be writing this even if I did not become pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sandra)
When I got a negative result she could not have been kinder and more compassionate. And when I became pregnant, she was elated. They are in lock step with you.
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Anne [nurse at Shady Grove] and Dr. Mottla were completely on the same page. I heard everything twice....Dr Mottla was very knowledgable and took the time I needed to process the challenges in my journey. He went above and beyond. He is direct and to the point. He is efficient and on time. His new office is lovely and much nicer and larger than the prior one.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Listen to him.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla was great. He always made a point to follow up with me and explain the plan. He saw me in the morning for monitoring and modified his schedule to accommodate mine.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Anne Stegner)
Anne and Dr. Mottla were completely on the same page. I heard everything twice.
Gilbert Mottla
Annapolis

Consult
in consult [Dr. Devine] suggested that due to lower AMH that a hormonal patch would be used at the beginning of the egg retrieval process rather than birth control to synch my menstrual cycle in order to maximize eggs... I have not proceeded due to predicted costs being higher than expected and inability to get information at this point about other options that I believe might be available to me
I was given an estimate of at least $60,000 (about half of which would be medication) for 4 cycles of egg freezing that I would recommended to pursue...A lot of enthusiastic interaction from clinic in moving me forward with consult and beyond but little to no outreach in response to my confusion about the financial parts and the details of that.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
consult was informative but I have not proceeded due to predicted costs being higher than expected and inability to get information at this point about other options that I believe might be available to me
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
in consult it was suggested that due to lower AMH that a hormonal patch would be used at the beginning of the egg retrieval process rather than birth control to synch my menstrual cycle in order to maximize eggs; did not follow up to get more details
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
they seem to be a well oiled machine of processing patients. due to high volume of patients this probably translates to good treatment based on their experience. they behave in a very profit-driven manner, where time is of the essence for them to move a new patient forward quickly through the process for their monetary gains rather than an individual's window of fertility. A lot of enthusiastic interaction from clinic in moving me forward with consult and beyond but little to no outreach in response to my confusion about the financial parts and the details of that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
Kate Devine