6.9

Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

Although we only saw Dr.Bromer a few times during treatment (our nurse was our main go to and was the absolute BEST!), Dr. Bromer took his time and answered our questions at the initial consult. He also checked in during a follicle check appointment to see how things were progressing and called us after PGS testing was complete, before and after egg retrieval, and before our embryo transfer. He was also there on the day of our first ultrasound to congratulate us, show us our baby, and her heartbeat! He was compassionate and we always felt like we were in good hands under his care.
Our nurse Toni made our experience [at Shady Grove Fertility] exceptional. We looked forward to hearing from her and actually miss her now that we are pregnant!...We chose the shared risk program ($22,500) through Shady Grove which included 6 stimulated cycles and unlimited transfers until 1 live birth. We also added the PGS testing for 5,000 for a total of $27,500...The clinic is well organized. From our first contact to set up a consultation, to financial counseling, to our final appointment before discharge, everything always ran smoothly and the staff had all bases covered. I really liked how patients get a patient portal online where you have direct access to your test results, monitoring and treatment schedule, and messaging for your doctor, nurse, front desk, or financial coordinator. If I had to name one weakness it would probably be that they are not open on weekends for monitoring or phone calls, so if one of your monitoring days falls on a weekend you have to travel to another office. For us, it was Rockville, MD which was an additional 30 minute drive.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
We switched to SGF after a not so great experience with another clinic in Pittsburgh. We had heard so many wonderful things about Shady Grove and were so excited and full of hope to start treatment with them. Dr. Bromer is friendly, positive, and honest, but also to the point which we appreciated. He took his time with us at our initial in person consult. Prior to this, wewere even given a free of charge phone consult before scheduling our first office consultation since we lived 2 hours away from the clinic. Both times he was very knowledgeable, kind and answered our questions about treatment, PGS testing, ICSI, and medication protocols.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you are a self-pay patient as we were, don’t be afraid to ask questions about the financial options offered. You will meet with a financial advisor at SGF as well, and she is awesome. But we went with the “shared risk” plan and probably could have gone with the “multi cycle” plan to save some $. Hindsight is 20/20, but be sure to ask questions about chances of success based on your particular situation or diagnosis before making that big decision!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Jason Bromer used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was treated with a high responder antagonist protocol. I believe the reason for this was that I don’t have any diagnosed fertility issues (although I *may* have some underlying problems, read below) and Dr. Bromer was confident that he could retrieve eggs. I am in a same sex marriage, which was the primary reason my wife and I chose IVF to start a family. However, I also have a substantially sized endometrioma on my right ovary which was likely getting in the way of IUI success and most likely points to endometriosis elsewhere, although I’ve never had the lap surgery done. As far as the treatment plan goes, I was on birth control for 18 days prior to starting 150 IUs of Follistim/Gonal F daily (after my first follicle check this was increased to 175 daily) and 75 IU Menapur, daily. I started Ganirelix 1x per day once follicles were &gt;14mm. Triggered with Lupron. The results were: 16 eggs retrieved, 15 mature, 13 fertilized and 8 made it to 5 day blastocysts. Of those 8, 6 were PGS normal.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Toni)
Our nurse Toni made our experience exceptional. We looked forward to hearing from her and actually miss her now that we are pregnant! She was extremely organized, prompt, friendly, and positive. She made sure to call at a time that my wife and I would be available. She never treated us like a number even though I’m sure she was extremely busy. She always took her time when speaking to us and made sure to answer all of our questions...and we had a lot of questions! Shady Grove Frederick was a wonderful experience and the main reason was because of Toni and the staff there. We always felt like we were in good hands when we were there.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Frederick is one of their smaller office in my opinion, so we always felt like we were getting individualized attention. We always saw the same friendly faces at each appointment which took a lot of the anxiety away. The clinic is well organized. From our first contact to set up a consultation, to financial counseling, to our final appointment before discharge, everything always ran smoothly and the staff had all bases covered. I really liked how patients get a patient portal online where you have direct access to your test results, monitoring and treatment schedule, and messaging for your doctor, nurse, front desk, or financial coordinator. If I had to name one weakness it would probably be that they are not open on weekends for monitoring or phone calls, so if one of your monitoring days falls on a weekend you have to travel to another office. For us, it was Rockville, MD which was an additional 30 minute drive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Our treatment was not covered at all under insurance. We chose the shared risk program ($22,500) through Shady Grove which included 6 stimulated cycles and unlimited transfers until 1 live birth. We also added the PGS testing for 5,000 for a total of $27,500. We became pregnant on the first try, after 1 retrieval and 1 transfer, so we overpaid! BUT, we probably wouldn’t have changed our decision. Hindsight is 20/20, but I think we would have gone with the shared risk plan ultimately for peace of mind and not knowing if we would have failed transfers or not. To help compare the other plans available...1 cycle at SGF is $10,500. With PGS it’s 14,000. The “multi cycle” plan allows for 2 stimulated cycles with unlimited frozen embryo transfers for $18,500 or $23,500 with PGS.
Describe Jason Bromer's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility in general has a strong stance on only transferring 1 embryo in most circumstances. Personally, we were totally on board with this.
Frederick

He gave us a realistic expectation, that it would take a few transfers to get a sticky embryo. ... One thing I struggle with is getting a thick lining and he changed up my medicine protocol unlike my previous doctor who just kept doing the same drugs and said I had a naturally thin lining. Dr. Mottla was able to get my lining at a 9. We've really enjoyed working with him. ... I know he has lots of patients and he's always been super compassionate and positive.
I've never had to wait that long at every appointment. Because its so big they work like a machine and are very organized and efficient when you are there. ... I was also able to do some monitoring at my GYNO locally and my doctors worked very nicely with them. ... We paid 30,000 for a package that includes 2 retrievals, as many transfers as we want and covers some PGS testing. ... Efficient well oiled machine. [monitoring appointments]
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He gave us a realistic expectation, that it would take a few transfers to get a sticky embryo. We've had two transfers and still lost them both. One thing I struggle with is getting a thick lining and he changed up my medicine protocol unlike my previous doctor who just kept doing the same drugs and said I had a naturally thin lining. Dr. Mottla was able to get my lining at a 9. We've really enjoyed working with him.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Shady grove is a huge practice and the doctors are spread thin; however, when you are with your Doctor they give you 100 percent attention. I recommend CCing him on every email back and forth with nurses.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I know he has lots of patients and he's always been super compassionate and positive. Eager to find a solution.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sarah Townsend)
I haven't particularly loved my nurse at Shady Grove. My nurse at UNC fertility seemed to work around the clock. The nurses at shady grove check out and do not communicate via email or phone past 4pm (mon-Fri).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I've loved the facilities, rockville and Annapolis. I've never had to wait that long at every appointment. Because its so big they work like a machine and are very organized and efficient when you are there. They are very knowledgeable and current with knew technologies and studies.
Efficient well oiled machine. We live in Raleigh so I would fly in and out same day and they always accommodated me. I was also able to do some monitoring at my GYNO locally and my doctors worked very nicely with them.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
We paid 30,000 for a package that includes 2 retrievals, as many transfers as we want and covers some PGS testing. Some tests are partially covered by insurance or we had to pay our deductible. Our medicines are very expensive and not covered through insurance and one thing that does frustrate me is that they over prescribe.
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I haven't found a doctor that is pro multiple embryo transfer. Everyone has said its too dangerous.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Bromer seems to be highly intelligent in his field. He does not “sugar coat” anything and he doesn’t just tell you what you want to hear. He is honest and has research and scientific reason to back up his methods. I was highly skeptical to use any fertility medications. He respected my choice and now that we are about to start IVF and I was worried about all the meds, he definitely eased my mind and made me feel confident about our chances with IVF as well as the safety of the medicine.
Good wait time. I never felt like I had to wait a long time for any appt. Staff [Shady Grover] is so helpful and encouraging. I feel like it’s such a big organization but they really try to make you feel important. ... Their IUI cost is reasonable without insurance and the shared risk IVF program is great. ... One person explained to me that low morphology meant that we would never conceive a normal child in our own.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions. He is honest and will give you a medically researched answer. Do not expect a warm and fuzzy guy. However, you should expect someone who cares about the best way to give you and your spouse the baby you want.
Staff is warm and welcoming. Dr. Bromer validated my concerns and gave me intellectual, researched evidence to back up any answers to questions that I had.
IUI with clomid was suggested but I refused meds and he very honestly told me that was fine but after so many IUIs it was time to possibly change protocol. Now after four failed cycles, he has respectfully advised us and with confidence- IVF is the best next step. We are getting ready to begin that soon.
Very kind and encouraging. Very organized and helpful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Good wait time. I never felt like I had to wait a long time for any appt. Staff is so helpful and encouraging. I feel like it’s such a big organization but they really try to make you feel important.
Regular co pays for office visits. Their IUI cost is reasonable without insurance and the shared risk IVF program is great. You basically pay the amount that 2 cycles costs and then you can do up to 6 cycles and back out anytime if need be to get money back if you don’t get a baby.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
One person explained to me that low morphology meant that we would never conceive a normal child in our own. I realized that this was an uneducated answer and I simply moved on.
Frederick

Dr. Bromer is kind, gentle and positive. He doesn't provide false hope but is genuine and truly works hard to help get the best outcome for each family. ... We have been thankful for his straight forward and thorough professional oppinions. He tends to encourage couple's to slow down for optimal outcome rather than rushing to treatments that haven't been fully thought through.
There's was 1-2 times when SA results were concluded and we waited over a week to hear from a nurse. ... They provide verbal and written instructions with the option to call at any time. They also provide video resources for additional support. The only challenge for us was have to drive out of town so frequently due to limited services provided at the Hagerstown SG [Shady Grove] office ... Jamie Dean- very thorough and quick to respond to patient portal emails and phone calls.
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Bromer quickly and easily established a rapport with my husband and I! He has a happy and genuine personality that keeps the mood positive during a very emotional time. We have been thankful for his straight forward and thorough professional oppinions. He tends to encourage couple's to slow down for optimal outcome rather than rushing to treatments that haven't been fully thought through. We love Dr. Bromer!
Take his word and trust him because he truly wants to see you and your spouse become parents it just may take time to come up with the best plan for you and your family!
We were referred to Dr. Shin (urologist) to further asses male factor complications. We worked thoroughly with Dr. Shin for almost 8 months . Dr. Bromer continued to keep up on our file and check in. We are about to begin IVF after egg retrieval and a male microdissection due to azoospermia, with donor sperm as a backup to insure IVF is completed. Dr. Bromer and Dr. Shin have worked phenomenally together and with us!
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer initially; Jamie Dean for IVF)
Jamie Dean- very thorough and quick to respond to patient portal emails and phone calls. She was available to answer my many questions and super helpful in a crunched timeline.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The process of fertility treatments can be super overwhelming. There's so much information provided but SG wants you to leave understanding it all. They provide verbal and written instructions with the option to call at any time. They also provide video resources for additional support. The only challenge for us was have to drive out of town so frequently due to limited services provided at the Hagerstown SG office which made things complicated with work and time off. I'd love to see more opportunities available in the Hagerstown office.
$1900 for shared risk program, $8,500 microdissection, $1200 varicocele repair, $120 clomid, $3,000 genetic testing for me and my spouse, $1000 for donor sperm, this doesn't include thousands for copays for consultations, follow-ups and blood work.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There's was 1-2 times when SA results were concluded and we waited over a week to hear from a nurse. Once I was able to reach them they were very apologetic and passionate.

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
When she broke the news that I have low ovarian reserve, she showed a lot of compassion, even when I got very emotional in her office. She also encouraged me to explore options (donor egg and donor embryo) that I wouldn't have considered; clearly, she cares about getting me to my end goal of a baby. ... I put a lot of stock in bedside manner, and Dr. Moon has absolutely exceeded my expectations since day 1.
Shady Grove feels like an institution, and that carries pros and cons with it. ... Also, because they are larger, they are able to offer additional resources like support groups (the one that I attend has been invaluable). ... Robin [nurse] has been great--extremely responsive and easy to get in touch with, very warm and friendly and helpful. I've always felt like she's in my corner and I could ask her anything.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I've been a patient of Dr. Moon's for about three years, and have seen her about seven times: once for an initial consultation, again for a second consultation two years later, three or four times during my monitoring for my four IUIs, and most recently for another consultation after my IUIs were not successful. Every time, she has been warm, empathetic, and helpful. I really appreciate how she writes out the details of my protocol--the protocol itself and the medical explanation behind it--on a separate sheet of paper so that I can take it home with me. While I saw her only occasionally during my monitoring, I never expected to see her every day, as my clinic is large and the nurses are very capable. When she broke the news that I have low ovarian reserve, she showed a lot of compassion, even when I got very emotional in her office. She also encouraged me to explore options (donor egg and donor embryo) that I wouldn't have considered; clearly, she cares about getting me to my end goal of a baby. I have referred multiple friends to her. While I haven't yet been successful in getting pregnant, I consider this a fault of my eggs, rather than Dr. Moon--she's not a magician! I feel lucky to have a doctor who is so supportive, particularly since I'm a non-traditional patient (as a single mom by choice).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Also , it's helpful if you look through the clinic's website before seeing her, as it has a lot of good information on it; with a bit of background, you'll be able to ask informed questions and make the most of your time with Dr. Moon.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Moon has been warm, friendly, and empathetic throughout my treatment, from my initial consultation through my most recent IUI. She shared her own experience with infertility very early on, and established a good rapport with me, which was important to me as a single mom by choice. When I broke down sobbing in her office, she never made me feel embarrassed or uncomfortable. I put a lot of stock in bedside manner, and Dr. Moon has absolutely exceeded my expectations since day 1.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Based on my initial testing, Dr. Moon diagnosed me with low ovarian reserve. She indicated that if cost was no object, she would recommend that I go straight to IVF. Because I have no insurance coverage for fertility treatment, cost is an object. She said I could try a few IUIs, and then decide to go to IVF, or then go to donor embryo. I appreciated that she didn't try to push one protocol over another, and left this very personal decision up to me. In terms of IUI natural versus medicated, she indicated that medicated IUIs would cost more and have a higher risk of multiples, without much of a payoff (ie, they would only raise my chance of a successful pregnancy by a few percentage points). After I did a first IUI completely unmedicated, she suggested that I use a trigger shot (Ovidrel) for my second IUI; I appreciated that she was looking at and thinking about my protocol and what would be most successful. I did three more IUIs, unmedicated except for a trigger shot, none of which were successful--but based on Dr. Moon's initial prognosis, I didn't really expect them to be. I did the IUIs because I needed to give using my own eggs a shot before I moved to donor egg or embryo. Dr. Moon understood and supported this decision. After four unsuccessful IUIs, she recommended that I move to another protocol, and I concurred.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Robin Peterson)
Robin has been great--extremely responsive and easy to get in touch with, very warm and friendly and helpful. I've always felt like she's in my corner and I could ask her anything.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove feels like an institution, and that carries pros and cons with it. I call it the "Bank of America" of fertility clinics, in the sense that they dominate the local market here. That said, while I usually prefer a more intimate, personal approach, I decided to stick with them because I love my doctor and nurse, and because I think they get results (even if I haven't yet been successful). Also, because they are larger, they are able to offer additional resources like support groups (the one that I attend has been invaluable).
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had insurance coverage for most of my diagnostic procedures and consultations, and for none of my actual fertility procedures. I paid $1200 for each IUI (actually, I paid $1140, as I had a 5% discount through their discount program).
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
N/a (though I think she usually recommends single embryo transfer).
Kimberly Moon

2016 - 2019, Unknown Success
Dr. Yazigi took time to listen to my concerns. At consultations and follow up appointments he would go through all of my medical history so that we could make the most informed decisions together. ... He didn't mind calling me for additional consultations or questions. ... There were times after monitoring appointments that the chart was not read completely or marked incorrectly that lead to weird instructions from Dr. Yazigi that I had to follow up on. ...
The [Shady Grove] offer in house procedures and work to get approval from your insurance company. You are also assigned a financial person who makes sure you know what is and is not covered ahead of time. As far as weaknesses, there have been times that information has not been properly relayed which is why it is important that you advocate for yourself in your treatment. ... It has been hard to have stability and effects some communication by being shuffled from nurse to nurse.
How was your experience with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
There were times after monitoring appointments that the chart was not read completely or marked incorrectly that lead to weird instructions from Dr. Yazigi that I had to follow up on. Otherwise, he treated me with respect often referencing his own daughters which gave me confidence in his opinion when we had decisions to make.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Allow him to explain things to you as you go but also do your own research and don't be afraid to advocate for yourself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Yazigi took time to listen to my concerns. At consultations and follow up appointments he would go through all of my medical history so that we could make the most informed decisions together. He factored in my desires for treatment and what would get us the best outcome. He didn't mind calling me for additional consultations or questions.
Describe the protocols Ricardo Yazigi (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
When I first saw him in 2016, I was treated for anovulation and was put on 100 mg of clomid with a trigger shot. I was a slow responder but after continual observation I did respond and had a positive outcome that resulted in our son. I came back in 2018 to grow our family and started with a similar protocol but no longer responded to clomid. We upped the dose without change. We then switched to femara in which I responded and got pregnant on the second cycle but miscarried. We started femara again a month post miscarriage but did not have success leading to a hysteroscopy to check for scar tissue. No scar tissue was found and Dr. Yazigi said we may be partially unexplained. He recommended moving onto IUI but since we were out of pocket we decided to pursue shared risk IVF instead.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Since I have been with SGF I have had four nurses. Rebecca was my nurse for my first round in 2016 and I loved her. When I came back I was originally assigned to Kristin who soon left for an alternative job. I then was transferred to Kelli and was with her for six months before she took another position. I am now assigned to Tina. It has been hard to have stability and effects some communication by being shuffled from nurse to nurse.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic has multiple locations that make it easy to schedule appointments for all services. The offer in house procedures and work to get approval from your insurance company. You are also assigned a financial person who makes sure you know what is and is not covered ahead of time. As far as weaknesses, there have been times that information has not been properly relayed which is why it is important that you advocate for yourself in your treatment.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Ricardo Yazigi (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
For timed intercourse, monitoring was covered by my insurance after copays were collected. I did pay for medications out of pocket. Shared risk IVF is costing 24,500 including PGS testing.
Describe Ricardo Yazigi (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I have not yet gotten to this point but I think eSET will be what is recommended due to my age. I am comfortable with this decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I once had something marked in my chart as a follicle that was a cyst. This led to talks about selective reduction if a multiple pregnancy was the outcome. I also was told to trigger before I should have but could it prior to administering the medication.
Ricardo Yazigi (retired)
Bel Air

Dr. McKeeby has been extremely compassionate during our fertility treatment. He has been readily available to meet with me, unexpectedly, when issues have arose during monitoring appointments. ... Dr. McKeeby has a bit of a unique personality. ... He also took into consideration our insurance and financial situation. ... He has been very proactive and has never suggested that we try the same plan twice - if it doesn't work the first time, he makes changes or suggests something new entirely.
The Annapolis office [Shady Grove] is very welcoming. The front desk staff have learned my name and always greet me when I come in for an appointment. The wait time for monitoring is usually reasonable, but can sometimes be 30+ minutes past your appointment time if the clinic is very busy. The phlebotomists are very friendly and talkative. The ultrasound techs do a great job of explaining what they see on the ultrasound, and always offer to refer you to the monitoring nurse if you more questions than they can answer
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McKeeby has a bit of a unique personality. He was very welcoming when my husband and I attended our consultation in March of 2018. We felt that he took a detailed history, asked a lot of questions about our desires/goals, and allowed us to have input on what treatment would like. Dr. McKeeby is very knowledgeable about the science aspect of treatment and was able to explain our treatment options in detail. He was able to provide us to with statistics for success and gave us a recommendation, based on what was our best chance statistically. He also took into consideration our insurance and financial situation. We have, unfortunately, experienced a lot of unanticipated setbacks throughout treatment. We have had several FET cycles cancelled, for various reasons, but Dr. McKeeby has always been extremely compassionate in breaking the bad news to us - He always explains why the cancellation is necessary, and is always ready with a new plan. He has been very proactive and has never suggested that we try the same plan twice - if it doesn't work the first time, he makes changes or suggests something new entirely. Although we have not had success yet, I have been extremely satisfied with Dr. McKeeby and his management of our treatment.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McKeeby has been extremely compassionate during our fertility treatment. He has been readily available to meet with me, unexpectedly, when issues have arose during monitoring appointments. When my fresh transfer was cancelled due to OHSS, Dr. McKeeby called me personally to provide an update on our embryos. He always says "hi" when he sees me at the clinic for monitoring appointments, and treats me as an individual at follow-up appointments.
Describe the protocols Jeffrey McKeeby used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
For our IVF retrieval cycle we used Gonal-F 150IU, Menopur 75IU (increased to 150IU on stim day 7), Ganirelix, and a Lupron trigger. We used this protocol, which is pretty standard and low-dose, because our diagnosis is MFI and Dr. McKeeby did not anticipate any issue with follicle growth. For our 1st FET cycle we used oral Estrace 2mg, taken three times daily. Vaginal Estrace was added, due to thin lining - this cycle was cancelled. For our 2nd FET cycle we used a stimulated FET protocol, with Gonal-F 150IU and Ganirelix to prevent ovulation. This protocol was chosen due to prior difficulty with uterine lining - cycle was cancelled due to high follicle count. For our 3rd FET cycle we used Delestrogen .2 ML, every other day - cycle was cancelled due to ovulation. For our 4th FET cycle we used Delestrogren .2 ML, every other day and Estrace 2mg vaginally, twice daily - this cycle resulted in pregnancy, but pregnancy was not viable. For our 5th FET cycle we used the same protocol as the previous cycle, but lining did not respond the same and cycle was cancelled. Four our 6th FET we are using another stimulated FET protocol with Menopur 112 IU - this cycle is in process.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jackie Seibert)
Jackie has been extremely helpful throughout this process. She always returns my phone calls within the guidelines stated on her voicemail, and is very responsive to questions/concerns. She calls promptly with updates from monitoring appointments and answers all questions. She is obviously very knowledgeable. She has called to check-in when we have gone through difficult times.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The Annapolis office is very welcoming. The front desk staff have learned my name and always greet me when I come in for an appointment. The wait time for monitoring is usually reasonable, but can sometimes be 30+ minutes past your appointment time if the clinic is very busy. The phlebotomists are very friendly and talkative. The ultrasound techs do a great job of explaining what they see on the ultrasound, and always offer to refer you to the monitoring nurse if you more questions than they can answer.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility.
Our treatment is covered by insurance. We receive a 5% discount, based on income, for all expenses not covered.
Describe Jeffrey McKeeby's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. McKeeby has recommended an eSET, due to our ages and quality of our embryos. We are agreeable.
Annapolis

Great bedside manner. Calls after a procedure (iui and failed transfer). She [Dr. Malik] is pregnant and going on maternity leave so my care will be handed off to another doctor. She did perform my iui, but I was under the care of Dr. greenhouse. When he passed then she took over my care.... The person who did your consultation, came up With your protocol isn’t the one who does the egg retrieval or transfers.... Microdose Lupron with birth control.
They [Shady Grove Fertility] have so many patients, everyone is put on the same cycle-for controlled cycles. The person who did your consultation, came up With your protocol isn’t the one who does the egg retrieval or transfers.... Weakness- financial dept. you have to stay on top of them.... Strength- my nurse, dr. Malik and all who work there.... Bet good nursing care. She always informed me, answered any questions i had
How was your experience with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
Great bedside manner. Calls after a procedure (iui and failed transfer). She is pregnant and going on maternity leave so my care will be handed off to another doctor. She did perform my iui, but I was under the care of Dr. greenhouse. When he passed then she took over my care.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility?
They have so many patients, everyone is put on the same cycle-for controlled cycles. The person who did your consultation, came up With your protocol isn’t the one who does the egg retrieval or transfers.
Describe the protocols Shruti Malik used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Microdose Lupron with birth control. I was on bcp for 2 weeks, had sono and blood after bcp. Then started Microdose Lupron 20 units BID, 3 days later I started Gonal F -450 and Menopur 150 at night. I stimmed for 12 days. I had no follicles on the left and 4 on the right. At my last sonogram they counted 7 follicle on the right. I had a cyst that was seen at day 5 monitoring. At retrieval they got 5 eggs, all 5 fertilized with ICSI. 1 out of 5 didn’t fertilize normally. Day 5, day of fresh transfer: 1 5 AA blastocyst, one was a day 4 and the other 2 they were watching. The ones they were watching didn’t make it to freeze. This cycle was a failed transfer.negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Patrice )
Bet good nursing care. She always informed me, answered any questions i had
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Weakness- financial dept. you have to stay on top of them. The dr who came up with your protocol probably won’t be the one doing retrieval or transfer. Strength- my nurse, dr. Malik and all who work there.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Shruti Malik at Shady Grove Fertility.
I have coverage through insurance right now. 500 deductible and 200 for medication
Shruti Malik
Fair Oaks

Doctor Garde is one of the most patient and understanding doctors I have ever meet in my life. She is so nice and always loving and caring, more then willing to help or get me help. I could not have made a better choice in a doctor ever.... She is always very good at coming up with a plan and always making sure me and my husband are comfortable. She is very good at listening concerns and always will to try and coming up with a solution.
The team here [Shady Grove] is very good. Patience, understanding and effective. Your comfort and emotions are always taken into consideration. Making sure that you're comfortable and you understand is always key.... I'm a self pay so paying was not a problem. I was always told how much my next appointment payment would be. Most of the time it's a estimate price.... I had some blood work done at my Kaiser Permanente provider. Unfortunately no one from shady Grove called to explain the results.
How was your experience with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Doctor Garde is wonderful I can't believe how understanding and patience she is with me. I'm a strong person and even Dr.Garde has a was of bring the best out of a tuff day. She is always very good at coming up with a plan and always making sure me and my husband are comfortable. She is very good at listening concerns and always will to try and coming up with a solution. There are no words to describe her she is one of the best doctors I have ever had. Doctor Garde is truly my blessings and I can't wait to continue our journey. I truly believe that if any Doctor can help me with having a little angel it would be Doc.Garde.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be honest, trust her judgment and everything will just fine. Trust that she always has your best interest at heart.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility?
Doctor Garde is one of the most patient and understanding doctors I have ever meet in my life. She is so nice and always loving and caring, more then willing to help or get me help. I could not have made a better choice in a doctor ever. There are no words to describe the kind of doctor Dr.Garde is I'm more then happy to call her my doctor. She is a true blessing.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel Kelly)
Daniell Kelly is the best ever ❤️❤️ I was so sad when I got my new nurse I cried. I will truly miss Danielle Kelly
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The team here is very good. Patience, understanding and effective. Your comfort and emotions are always taken into consideration. Making sure that you're comfortable and you understand is always key.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rachana Garde at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had some blood work done at my Kaiser Permanente provider. Unfortunately no one from shady Grove called to explain the results. But the doctor Garde did make sure the other doctor from Kaiser did explain to me my blood results.
Rachana Garde

2016 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Egg retrieval treatment protocol [with Dr. Arthur Sagoskin] included birth control for almost three weeks. Then we did 900 IU Gonal-F plus 150 ml of Menopur everyday for 12 days as I have a slightly higher FSH and a middle of the road AMH. The Menopur was increased to 225 in the last three or four days because my follicles needed a little extra boost to get to the desired size (they were kinda stuck around 18mm-20mm). Cetrotide was given at day 5 or 6 for the rest of the stimulation cycle to keep me from ovulating. HCG was used for the trigger, and I took an (crazy) antibiotic the day before my retrieval.
You do not see the doctor enough [at Shady Grove Fertility- Rockville]. For as much as these procedures cost, you'd think you'd see your doctor at least once during your monitoring. But you don't. You see other doctors who someones come in to help you understand your monitoring. The billing department is literally impossible to deal with. It doesn't matter if you contract says specifically what they will and won't cover based on your fee, if they have another list (a list you haven't been provided) that says your fee doesn't cover a particular service - even if that service seems completely logical to the IVF process (not something special), you will be charged extra. That said, their shared risk program is pretty amazing if you think you have a chance of not getting pregnant on your first try.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Overall, I like him. If someone were to go to Shady Grove, I'd recommend him. My problems are more with how the clinic is run as a whole (which as a founding doctor of the clinic, I guess means that I disagree with Dr. Sagoskin's approach in that regard.)
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Write down all your questions beforehand. Do not leave until you've had them all answered. He is willing to answer, but you have to ask.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
We first starting meeting with Dr. Sagoskin a few years ago but my husband really didn't like his bedside manner. I kind of didn't care, but he did somewhat treat us like a number in our first consultation with him. Plus, Shady Grove is quite expensive so we tried a different doctor/clinic for our first round, which proved unsuccessful. We decided to come back to Shady Grove and meet again with Dr. Sagoskin. It was like he was a different person. He was warm, he answered all our questions, we didn't feel rushed. He was great, and has been great when it comes to the side of making us feel "human" since we started seeing him again in 2018.
Describe the protocols Arthur Sagoskin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Egg retrieval treatment protocol included birth control for almost three weeks. Then we did 900 IU Gonal-F plus 150 ml of Menopur everyday for 12 days as I have a slightly higher FSH and a middle of the road AMH. The Menopur was increased to 225 in the last three or four days because my follicles needed a little extra boost to get to the desired size (they were kinda stuck around 18mm-20mm). Cetrotide was given at day 5 or 6 for the rest of the stimulation cycle to keep me from ovulating. HCG was used for the trigger, and I took an (crazy) antibiotic the day before my retrieval. (That thing was terrible and gave me the worst stomach cramps and diarrhea.) Egg retrieval resulted in 8 eggs, of which only 6 were mature. 5 eggs were fertilized, but only 2 made it to day 5. I began using Endomentrin progesterone inserts 3 times per day, the day after the retrieval through the transfer and up until the pregnancy test. I also took Estrace (Estradiol) daily. One embryo was transferred, and the other was frozen. The fresh transfer resulted in a negative pregnancy test 13 days later. The frozen embryo transfer treatment protocol: I began with birth control for two weeks, after which I began taking Estrace (Estradiol) three times per day. On day 16, after they checked my uterine lining which was 12mm, I began using 1mL of progesterone oil once every three days. I also started Endometrin inserts twice daily. On day six of injecting and inserting progesterone, I had one frozen embryo transferred that used assisted hatching. That was yesterday so I will have to update in 13 days as to the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Tina)
Initially I was no pleased with the nursing/care coordinators in Dr. Sagoskin's staff. They seemed annoyed by questions or overwhelmed by patient load. At one point I was foisted off of one care coordinator who abruptly left the office for another one in the Shady Grove family, and I had no one helping me, which was super frustrating because I was starting my first fresh cycle with Shady Grove in two weeks. Finally, I got frustrated and worried about some medication issues I was having and went straight to the clinic without and appointment, requesting to see Tina (as she had been my sort-of contact without actually having been assigned my case.) She took care of me, she was kind and patient. She got me some samples when I ran out of medication and she listened to me when I told her how scared I was about all the costs running up. I had spent so much money and didn't know what to do. She helped. Then she gave me her direct number and told me that she was officially adding me as her patient, that way there would be no more confusion. Tina has been amazing.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
You do not see the doctor enough. For as much as these procedures cost, you'd think you'd see your doctor at least once during your monitoring. But you don't. You see other doctors who someones come in to help you understand your monitoring. The billing department is literally impossible to deal with. It doesn't matter if you contract says specifically what they will and won't cover based on your fee, if they have another list (a list you haven't been provided) that says your fee doesn't cover a particular service - even if that service seems completely logical to the IVF process (not something special), you will be charged extra. That said, their shared risk program is pretty amazing if you think you have a chance of not getting pregnant on your first try. Keep in mind, though, that the shared risk program does not cover the injection class (even though it is not stated in the contract that it is not covered, and since it is held at the clinic by clinic staff, should logically be covered by the shared risk program). Also, meeting with your doctor after a failed IVF cycle under the shared risk program to discuss next steps (also seems like a necessary visit that should logically be included in the cost) is also NOT covered in the shared risk program. So basically, you pay your $20,000+ and still have to pay extra to see your doctor throughout your failed attempts. That's super annoying. A strength, though, is that they do have very good medication specialists to figure out your medication coverage through insurance. My first fresh cycle with Shady Grove was with a different health insurance, so it wasn't covered. However, my insurance changed and they have been appealing my insurance denials, and winning! So, if I need to go through another fresh cycle, I will probably have much smaller payments for medication. Fingers crossed. Their care coordinators are great and incredibly responsive.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility.
The costs for diagnosis were pretty expensive, especially since some weren't covered by insurance. Many were, but most weren't. And if you lapse by three years, you have to redo everything. Semen analysis is $150/time. My husband has had to do this four times. The female diagnosis (mock embryo and HSG were...$800(?) with Shady Grove). The medication costs for egg retrieval were nearly $6000. The Shared Risk Program was $19,500.
Describe Arthur Sagoskin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He has told me flat out that he will not transfer more than one embryo for me. I do not know his stance on multiple embryo transfer in general, but he said that I was too thin to chance having multiples. (I'm not that thin. I'm 5'7" and weigh 140lbs.) This is one of the few issues I've had personally with Dr. Sagoskin as this wasn't even allowed a discussion.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Again, the billing department is difficult. They keep charging me for things that should be covered under the Shared Risk program contract, like meeting with my doctor to go over next steps after a failed cycle, and the injection class which our care coordinator said we needed to take. The front desk has also failed to check me into my monitoring appointments TWICE. I've sat in the waiting room for a half hour watching all these people go through who have come in much later than me. It wasn't until I went and asked if I had come to my appointment early, that they went "Oh! So sorry, you weren't checked in. We'll figure that out right now." So an appointment early in the morning that usually only takes 30 minutes from check in to check out is now over an hour. Not great when you need to get to work on time.
Rockville

It was clear that Dr. Bromer was always cognizant of our specific situation; he wasn't giving blanket/general recommendations when he spoke to us...I was personally looking for a doctor to be realistic versus optimistic but also to offer his point of view on the best option for us (own eggs vs. donor). I vetted four clinics and he was the first to deliver on my expectations. He called us several times while he was on vacation to personally review some unexpected setbacks and his recommendations for moving forward.
We participated in the shared risk donor program [at Shady Grove Fertility] in which we were one of three recipients (so we shared the cost). The total was about $26K...operates like a well-oiled machine. Their process for out-of-state patients is pretty seamless, and they really work to streamline the number of visits for those who live far away. They did get a few of our appointment times mixed up during our visit, which meant we were left sitting in the lobby for an extended period of time and my husband had to do his SA while we were supposed to be meeting with a social worker, but that was the only hiccup. While not a hugely important factor, their Rockville office is gorgeous. We also visited Fredrick and Towson, both of which
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was personally looking for a doctor to be realistic versus optimistic but also to offer his point of view on the best option for us (own eggs vs. donor). I vetted four clinics and he was the first to deliver on my expectations. He called us several times while he was on vacation to personally review some unexpected setbacks and his recommendations for moving forward. He was willing to consider my thoughts on how to proceed; he offered an expert opinion but was not overly prescriptive. He is kind, compassionate and invested in your success. Aside from a new patient consult, in-person consult and various phone conversations, we had much more interaction with our nurse than our doctor.
Be up front on what you're hoping he can help with.
Since I am a donor egg recipient, my protocol was related to an embryo transfer only and was pretty standard (Lupron, progesterone, estrogen). I responded well to what he prescribed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vivian )
Vivian was always pleasant and to-the-point. There were a few small admin-type mix-ups, but nothing that affected my protocol. She was quick to respond to questions and always kept me up to date on my donor's status.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility operates like a well-oiled machine. Their process for out-of-state patients is pretty seamless, and they really work to streamline the number of visits for those who live far away. They did get a few of our appointment times mixed up during our visit, which meant we were left sitting in the lobby for an extended period of time and my husband had to do his SA while we were supposed to be meeting with a social worker, but that was the only hiccup. While not a hugely important factor, their Rockville office is gorgeous. We also visited Fredrick and Towson, both of which were nice but not on the same level. I do wish Towson had onsite wellness (acupuncture, etc.) like Rockville, but they were able to refer me out to a local clinic. The donor coordinator team was on the ball - very communicative and gave lots of personal attention when needed. One frequent criticism I hear is that their financial department is difficult to work with, but that was not our experience.
We participated in the shared risk donor program in which we were one of three recipients (so we shared the cost). The total was about $26K.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My only complaint is that my nurse forgot to write stat on a bloodwork order which resulted my beta not being available the same day.

2017 - 2019, Unknown Success
As we transitioned from iui to ivf to reciprocal ivf we got to know him [Dr. Jospeh Doyle] more. He tries to do our procedures when possible. Says hi and comments on our cycle when we see him in the hallway.... Natural iui, 3 cycles. Medicated iui with clomid 3 cycles upping dose each time. 1 iui with clomid and gonal f. One ivf microdose lupron, had 6 embryos, but nothing made it to blast. 2nd ivf did estrogen priming. Had 16 eggs retrieved nothing made it to blastocyst, but transferred 2 that were almost blastocysts. 3rd ivf did lupron stop protocol. Had best response yet. 18 eggs retrieved. 2 made it to blastocyst. Had freeze all due to higher prpgesterone. Switched to reciprocal ivf. First retrieval for my wife was estrogen priming. Had 8 eggs retrieved. 3 fertilized and 3 made it to blastocyst. Preparing for my wife’s second retrieval in the coming months. Planning lupron stop.
It [Shady Grove Fertility- Rockville] is a large clinic. Sometimes it feels like a factory, however the staff knows you and interacts with you pn a human level. No one talks in the waiting room. The medical assistants are very personable. The nurse practitioners in monitoring are great.... Effie is a wonderful nurse and great communicator. We started with her on our 9th cycle of treatment. Our first nurse was Alana. Her comminication was lacking.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is very personable and knows us as patients. He is kind and compassionate. Serious, but also has a sense of humor. We appreciate that he has done many of our procedures. He calls after procedures and after big tests like beta tests.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Let him know what youbare thinking. Ask for his opinion.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Felt like numbers in the beginning. As we transitioned from iui to ivf to reciprocal ivf we got to know him more. He tries to do our procedures when possible. Says hi and comments on our cycle when we see him in the hallway. He really treats us as humans.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Efrat “Effie” Inbar)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It is a large clinic. Sometimes it feels like a factory, however the staff knows you and interacts with you pn a human level. No one talks in the waiting room. The medical assistants are very personable. The nurse practitioners in monitoring are great.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
He discussed eset in the beginning. After nothing made it to blast in first and second cycles transferred 2 in 2nd and 3rd cycles-because they weren’t blasts on 2nd and because I was 38 for the 3rd cycle.
Joseph Doyle
Rockville

[Dr. Chang's] very knowledgeable but can seem to be in a rush at times. We only saw him once during our IVF cycle and it was based on our request after having a significant decrease in anticipated embryos. We believe our stim medication was not properly adjusted and monitored, which impacted the amount of mature eggs to be fertilized because we triggered early due to my estrogen level being so high. He knew it was high but didn’t see a need to decrease it significantly until the end. He called us though for our embryo updates because the counts were so low. Out of 27 eggs, 15 mature, 9 fertilized, 1 viable embryo.
We were scheduled for a fresh cycle [at Shady Grove Fertility - Rockville] and due to lack of modification and up front monitoring, we were required to freeze all and pay additional money for a frozen transfer. During monitoring appointments, we were always told “looks good”, “you might trigger or start another injection early”, “ no issues” but changing our plan and having significantly higher hormone levels could have been better avoided.
How was your experience with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s very knowledgeable but can seem to be in a rush at times. We only saw him once during our IVF cycle and it was based on our request after having a significant decrease in anticipated embryos. We believe our stim medication was not properly adjusted and monitored, which impacted the amount of mature eggs to be fertilized because we triggered early due to my estrogen level being so high. He knew it was high but didn’t see a need to decrease it significantly until the end. He called us though for our embryo updates because the counts were so low. Out of 27 eggs, 15 mature, 9 fertilized, 1 viable embryo.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be up front with any and all questions you have and stand firm with having him explain. He will answer, just may appear to always be in a hurry.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Frank Chang at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had to ask more questions and do more research on my own about a lot of pieces of the Ivf process. And when asking a question, my nurse made me and my husband feel like a burden or a nuisance for asking. We had to follow up a lot to get any insurance items submitted properly and timely, received and required correction of deposit amounts, had to call in and follow up on our own medicine cause the nurse was so delayed and we would’ve missed our protocol.
Describe the protocols Frank Chang used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Started with 112.5 Menopur and 75 gonal-f 9 days. Estrogen levels were over double the entire time - gonal-f was reduced to 75 on day 5 and again to 37.5 on day 7. Started Cetrotide AM on day 7. Estrogen levels were concerning so we had almost daily bloodwork and ultrasound appointments but they didn’t modify until halfway and again at the end. We were planned to use a dual trigger of HCG and Leuprolide but with the risk of OHSS with my estrogen, Dr. Change switched to Lupron only. We were scheduled for a fresh cycle and due to lack of modification and up front monitoring, we were required to freeze all and pay additional money for a frozen transfer. During monitoring appointments, we were always told “looks good”, “you might trigger or start another injection early”, “ no issues” but changing our plan and having significantly higher hormone levels could have been better avoided.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Dew)
Requires follow up and wasn’t forth coming with information without us asking numerous questions. Simple questions confirming whether or not to continue other injections when starting Cetrotide. When asking questions, I dreaded calling because I felt like a bother to be invested in my cycle and results.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a quick process to get patients in and out. Following up with your financial counselor is a MUST because we’ve received incorrect and delayed information as well as other patients we know at SGF.
Monitoring is in the morning for nurses to call in the PM with results. You’d wait in the main waiting room, get called for blood draw, wait in another area for an ultrasound room to open. Very consistent and smooth process.
Describe Frank Chang's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Mentioned in other notes. Financial team errors and issues. Conflicting info from doctor, nurse and financial team. Required extra patient follow up on getting prior authorizations and medications ordered in time before start of cycle or procedures, and confirming or correcting errors after we spoke with insurance on our own.
Frank Chang
Rockville

Dr Levens spent a lot of time with my husband and I during the few consultations we had with him. He answered every question we had and was empathetic to the difficult time we were going through. I built trust for him over the process of our IVF cycle since I saw that he intervened when it was important to do so and made sure to call or email during critical times.... Dr Levens is a good doctor and wants to do best for his patients. He is open to listening if you want to try something new or tweak your protocol
The clinic does feel like a factory.... Shady grove has good results and Dr Levens is a good doctor so I am willing to deal with being a number in the system of the larger operation if it gets us closer to our goal and I continue to speak up for myself.... The first nurse seemed unavailable and annoyed with my questions and follow-up. At one point when the lab did not run all of my tests and I needed to go back, my nurse would not rerun the script for the tests I needed
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Levens is a good doctor and wants to do best for his patients. He is open to listening if you want to try something new or tweak your protocol within the parameters of what is safe and reasonable. Make sure to advocate for yourself and speak up when you feel necessary.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Leven's was very empathetic toward my husband and I and was always there when it was important. He counseled us during a traumatic early loss which required methotrexate to resolve. I did, however, feel that the larger Shady Grove operation made me feel more like a number than a human compared to my previous clinic. But Dr Levens made it worth staying.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did one IVF cycle with Dr Levens. He did an antagonist protocol with the highest doses of Gonal F (450) and a medium dose of Menopur based on my AMH and FSH. He also had prior information from my first cycle we undertook at a different clinic with a different Dr (GW) and tweaked my protocol based on the outcome of my first cycle. The one thing that I asked him about and he rightly investigated was sperm factor issues. The first clinic did not follow-up on the male side after our embryos stopped growing after day 3 on the first cycle. Dr Levens recommended a sperm DNA fragmentation test for my spouse and it came back with a large percentage of fragmentation even though his standard test parameters all came back normal. The DNA fragmentation test is not a part of the standard work up for men during their fertility testing. We were coached on a number of things we could do to try and improve it. We think some of those things helped. We got better results with Dr Levens in terms of the number of 5 day blasts we ended up with vs the first clinic (4 vs 0). We have yet to achieve a viable pregnancy but I have no doubt he will do everything in his power to try and help us get there.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had two nurses. The first nurse seemed unavailable and annoyed with my questions and follow-up. At one point when the lab did not run all of my tests and I needed to go back, my nurse would not rerun the script for the tests I needed, as the first one was outdated. She said I could just cross off the labs I didn't need instead of her generating a new script. I took this as either laziness or maybe patient overload. I got to the lab and told the phlebotomist that my nurse told me to just cross of the labs I didn't need and she looked at me dumbfounded that any nurse would tell their patient to do that. She said it was a legal document and I couldn't just cross off tests and that she would need to draw the blood for all of the tests again. When I told Dr Levens about this he assigned me to a new nurse. The new nurse, whom I'm rating here, I don't feel has always provided sufficient explanations of the process and seems to always tell me what I can't do instead of being on my team and helping me to make it happen. I've had to go around her to schedule appointments. And when I was waiting for directions on my trigger shot, and was told by clinic staff that it would be sometime that evening, I waited and waited and no one called that evening even as their closing time approached. I called the helpdesk line 5 mins to closing and they told me my nurse was out on leave and they'd get another nurse to call within 10 mins. And if they didn't call within 10 mins to call their desk line back. Well, no one called in 10 mins and when I called the deskline back it was no longer functioning because it was after 5- their closing time. At this point, I was in a panic thinking the entire cycle was ruined because I wouldn't have done the trigger shot on time. I wrote Dr Levens asking what to do and he wrote back right away, and someone called shortly after. No one explained the process to me nor did my nurse give me a heads up that she was on leave and who to contact or who would be reaching out and when. I also didn't get the sense that she understands the gravity of what women go through every day in this process and feels more annoyed than empathetic when you are trying to make difficult decisions and sometimes you change your mind. Part of this I believe is the way shady grove is structured and the number of patients each nurse covers. I have heard this isn't the case for all of the nurses, but it has felt like it for me with the two who have been assigned to us.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic does feel like a factory. At the smaller clinic I went to for the first cycle it was more intimate and everyone knew you. You could reach out to a number of different people if anything went wrong or you had questions. And some of the staff had experienced fertility treatments themselves so they spoke to you in a way that was healing and understanding. Shady grove has good results and Dr Levens is a good doctor so I am willing to deal with being a number in the system of the larger operation if it gets us closer to our goal and I continue to speak up for myself.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
We purchased the shared risk program at $22k and medications are all out of pocket costing $5k each fresh cycle.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr Levens recommends the appropriate number of embryos for transfer based on age, embryo quality, and past cycles. He recommended a transfer of two embryos for our FET (to happen in a few months) after the first round with one embryo ended in a chemical pregnancy and I am turning 37.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I've explained in earlier sections
Eric Levens
Fairfax

he [Dr. Sagoskin] is very blunt. So if you need that compassion, you will not get it from him...I did a 2 and 3rd cycle of non-medicated IUIs. Both failed and the of course the next treatment option recommended is IVF. Instead of trying to figure out what our issue is or at least taking the time to rule out issues, IVF is suggested. I just think it would be wise to attempt to find our issue so the IVF has a chance of being successful. I realize someone couples have unexplained fertility, but that means due diligence was given to find a diagnosis. I’m so confused how they would continue treatment on me not ever attempting to see if they can find my issue.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility-Rockville] for the most part is ok. It’s clean, they have convenient appointment availability, and you are in an out. I would say it feels kind of like an assembly line with ladies lining up back to back. It’s not a warm feeling and the vibe feeling more like a commercial business than a doctors office...It was just like I was another number at this clinic and with this doctor. My individual case was not taken into consideration or seriously. My voice and concerns were not heard. When I asked questions or voiced my concerns, I was ignored.
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had one office visit with Dr. S and one telephone visit. Each time, it ended with me in tears. It was mostly because of his lack of compassion...if you need that from your fertility doctor, you will not get that from him. My husband was ok with his bluntness and lack of bedside manner, but it just elevated my already sensitive feelings. He made me feel worse than what I was already feeling due to my problems with infertility. He is also quick to jump to IVF which was also a problem for me. He never gave me a diagnosis which also troubled me since he was so quick to “prescribe” IVF. I can’t say it was anything I liked about him because I only had 2 visits with him. And those 2 visits were not pleasant. Nurses and other doctors completed my IUIs and I’m only allowed to communicate with him through his nurse. The nurses are not much better and blow off my questions I asked about non-invasive treatment options.
Don’t look for compassion...he is very blunt. So if you need that compassion, you will not get it from him.
Dr. S ordered the “regular” initial treatments for us. Without having a diagnosis for our infertility. He suggested 3 rounds of IUI with Clomid. After the 1 failed IUI with Clomid, when I went for the 2nd IUI, I had developed cysts (detectable via ultrasound). He then advised I skip that cycle and try another IUI cycle the following month. Since I don’t have any fertility diagnosis, I didn’t want to keep taking Clomid since my body was not reacting positively to it, so I asked him if I could do an non-medicated IUI. He complied and I did a 2 and 3rd cycle of non-medicated IUIs. Both failed and the of course the next treatment option recommended is IVF. Instead of trying to figure out what our issue is or at least taking the time to rule out issues, IVF is suggested. I just think it would be wise to attempt to find our issue so the IVF has a chance of being successful. I realize someone couples have unexplained fertility, but that means due diligence was given to find a diagnosis. I’m so confused how they would continue treatment on me not ever attempting to see if they can find my issue.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The first nurse I had was very good (Helanie). However, she left the location and after she was left, the nurse I got was random. Once Helanie left, the nursing experience went down. The replacement did not take time to know my situation or where I was in the process.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic for the most part is ok. It’s clean, they have convenient appointment availability, and you are in an out. I would say it feels kind of like an assembly line with ladies lining up back to back. It’s not a warm feeling and the vibe feeling more like a commercial business than a doctors office.
My insurance paid 50% and I would have to pay the other 50% at the end of each visit.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The one problem I had when I was a new patient is that they hadn’t called in my prescriptions. It wasn’t a huge deal but I did have to wait at the pharmacy for quite some time to get it worked out.
Rockville

Dr. Katz was friendly and talked to me like a real person...explained things well. He did seem kind of rushed at times. He did seem to want what was best for me, and was not worried about if I would stay a full patient with his clinic...We ended up keeping our embryos in KC and performing an ERA test and doing outside monitoring with Dr. Katz. During the ERA test, he had me on oral estrogen 3x/day and then progesterone in oil for 6 days prior to the biopsy. The test results were that my lining was normal receptive 6 days after beginning the progesterone.
Jenna [nurse at Shady Grove Fertility-Bel Air] was very friendly and compassionate. She would call and explain things to me and answer any questions I had. We did have some times when we were playing phone tag and I had a little difficulty getting in touch with her...It took a while for the initial consult though. The nurses and staff were friendly and seemed knowledgeable regarding their jobs. There was a little miscommunication when I became an outside monitoring patient and they had trouble figuring out where my results were and where they were going.
How was your experience with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz was friendly and explained things well. He did seem kind of rushed at times. He did seem to want what was best for me, and was not worried about if I would stay a full patient with his clinic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
He has an accent and talks kind of fast, so if you don't understand, ask him to repeat himself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Katz was friendly and talked to me like a real person.
Describe the protocols Eugene Katz (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Dr. Katz was helping me determine if we should move our embryos to his clinic in Maryland or keep them in KC and just do outside monitoring with Shady Grove. He explained the pros and cons well, and genuinely seemed to want what was best for me. We ended up keeping our embryos in KC and performing an ERA test and doing outside monitoring with Dr. Katz. During the ERA test, he had me on oral estrogen 3x/day and then progesterone in oil for 6 days prior to the biopsy. The test results were that my lining was normal receptive 6 days after beginning the progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenna)
Jenna was very friendly and compassionate. She would call and explain things to me and answer any questions I had. We did have some times when we were playing phone tag and I had a little difficulty getting in touch with her.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is definitely busy, but they were able to schedule my follow-up appointments in a timely manner. It took a while for the initial consult though. The nurses and staff were friendly and seemed knowledgeable regarding their jobs. There was a little miscommunication when I became an outside monitoring patient and they had trouble figuring out where my results were and where they were going.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eugene Katz (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility.
Consultation was covered under my insurance. The ERA test/biopsy was $595. My ultrasound appointment as an outside patient were $295 (which was quite a bit more than the $187 my clinic in KC said they charge).
Describe Eugene Katz (retired)'s approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
When I became an outside monitoring patient, they did not know where my results were after my lab work and ultrasound, and then they did not send the results in a timely fashion.
Eugene Katz (retired)
Bel Air

He [Dr. Mottla] had a strong preference for single embryo transfer and essentially told me that multiple embryo transfers were not an option and something that he did not suggest. This was a little disappointing...He has been very hands on throughout the process. Always willing to answer any questions or concerns that I may have. At one point there seemed like there could have been a "miracle" for my situation, and he was very realistic and practical with how often the miracle could happen. It let me know and see that he was hopeful and optomistic, but also being real about the situation.
I appreciate how communicative they are [at Shady Grove Fertility], including the blog posts recieved via email. When I've been MIA for a few months my clinical coordinator has sent an email just to check in and see if there is anything they can do. There are a few waiting rooms, one seems to be for people doing consultations and the other for women getting checked out quickly in the am- but you can access either. For my process, I was asked to meet with a social worker, that is conveniently located in the same building.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Go for it- ask all of your "what if" questions- he is a straight shooter.
He asked myself and my husband about ourselves. how we met, what lead us to him. During the discussion we realized that he went to the same college as my parents and they actually attended school during the same time, though they did not know each other. The conversation was very organic.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
The one thing that initially made me a little sad, was he stated in the beginning that he is a fan of single births and that he would not implant more than one embryo. As someone hoping for twins, I was a little disappointed. He explained the health risks associated with the recommendation, so I knew it was coming from a good place.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The original nurse that I was assigned was not good. She was very unorganized and actually confused my case/situation with another client. I requested a transfer to a different nurse, who is wonderful!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Everyone is extremely friendly, warm and welcoming. I appreciate how communicative they are, including the blog posts recieved via email. When I've been MIA for a few months my clinical coordinator has sent an email just to check in and see if there is anything they can do. There are a few waiting rooms, one seems to be for people doing consultations and the other for women getting checked out quickly in the am- but you can access either. For my process, I was asked to meet with a social worker, that is conveniently located in the same building. I was able to meet with the financial coordinator right after my consultation, thanks to Shady Grove being proactive. At the end of our consultation we were given temporary access into a database to take a look at the various options there and help familiarize ourselves with the process. I found the doctor to be realistic with timeliness, treatments and expectations. Also, the financial coordinator was extremely helpful and patient- my husband and I sat with her for over an hour discussing the various options, pros and cons. She also went above and beyond to speak with the broker for my husbands insurance to determine exactly what, if anything, was covered. Overall, it’s been a great experience.
Approximately 42k
He had a strong preference for single embryo transfer and essentially told me that multiple embryo transfers were not an option and something that he did not suggest. This was a little disappointing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I mentioned this previously, but our initial coordinator was unresponsive and she confused my information with another patient that allegedly had a similar name.

2015 - 2019, Unsuccessful
Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels...Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her...bedside manner is very kind and gentle...She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
My doctor decided to do a fresh transfer of my own embryos on Day 6 instead of Day 5. She told me the staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] (working the weekend, so not the normal staff) would call with a time to be at the clinic on Monday morning. I never received a call. So I had to talk to my doctor on Monday morning and she told me to just go in and they would be ready. However, I waited all day Sunday for a call to update me on the time to go in for my transfer - and no one ever called. That was frustrating, as I tried to reach someone Sunday afternoon and evening and was told that someone would call (they just never did).
How was your experience with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall is very practical and candid with providing information, provided that you ask the appropriate questions. She doesn't often offer up additional information, but will answer all questions honestly. She gives unbiased information, details, and facts, which I like, without pushing you to choose a specific path or process. I do wish she proactively offered up information or additional facts without being asked, as sometimes I don't know what I don't know (or don't know what to ask).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be sure and have a list of questions and have done a little research on your own. Talk to others who have gone through this process. I've learned a lot of helpful tips or things to ask from other women who have used fertility doctors.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Beall's bedside manner is very kind and gentle. But SGF overall feels like a factory. They are efficient with visits and check all the boxes, generally, but you do feel like just one of many patients most of the time.
Describe the protocols Stephanie Beall used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I did two rounds of IVF with a sperm donor. Both treatments were very similar. I used birth control for three weeks before stopping and then starting daily injections. I injected menopur and follistum daily for approximately 10 days, and added in a daily injection of ganarillix for the last five days or so. I went into SGF for an ultrasound and bloodwork every other day until about day 7 or 8, and then went daily. My hormone levels responded well to the hormones, and the tests all went well. Dr. Beall adjusted my medicines throughout the process, as needed, based on my hormone levels. The final trigger shot, given 36 hours before egg retrieval, was pregnyl. Egg retrieval went smoothly, with no adverse reactions to the anesthetic. The first round of IVF, I did PGS testing on the two embryos that reached blastysis, and both were found to be abnormal and were not transfered. The second round of IVF, I chose not to do PGS testing and did a fresh transfer of the two embryos that reached blastysis. In preparation for that transfer, I took a daily pill and used suppositories three times a day for progesterone and estrogen (estrace and estridol I think were the names). I stopped all medicines two weeks after the transfer, when my blood test was negative for pregnancy. Currently, I am looking into using an embryo donor or egg donor.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Casey McNeeley)
Casey was very responsive to messages I left, and patiently answered any and all questions I had. She was quick to find out information from Dr. Beall, if needed, and also helped facilitate communication with the financial coordinator at SGF. She's been wonderful.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is very well-known in this area and has a good success rate. I have multiple friends and acquaintances who have used them for fertility treatments. That is why I chose to go with them. However, you do feel like another number at times. The staff has all been very friendly and personable! But it's a factory and you do feel like women and couples are constantly in and out.
They were easy. I was in early and didn't have to wait long. No complaints.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Stephanie Beall at Shady Grove Fertility.
I paid for a multi-cycle IVF program, which gave a small discount for paying for two IVF cycles at once. That cost $23,500 including the PGS testing I elected to do ($18,500 without PGS). In addition, medications were approximately $4,500 per IVF round, or $9,000 total. And the sperm donor cost about $2,000 total (two vials). In addition, I had to pay for a therapist consultation ($300, insurance partially covered and I think my cost was $125) and a few other bloodwork and ultrasound tests that insurance generally covered. I also elected to do acupuncture during this whole process, and that was $45 per visit (found the practitioner on my own and not through SGF). Overall, the cost of two IVF rounds cost me about $37,000 out of pocket. I am not pursuing donor embryo or donor egg for my next step.
Describe Stephanie Beall's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
No. Given my age, my doctor recommended transferring two embryos. I was in agreement with her.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My doctor decided to do a fresh transfer of my own embryos on Day 6 instead of Day 5. She told me the staff (working the weekend, so not the normal staff) would call with a time to be at the clinic on Monday morning. I never received a call. So I had to talk to my doctor on Monday morning and she told me to just go in and they would be ready. However, I waited all day Sunday for a call to update me on the time to go in for my transfer - and no one ever called. That was frustrating, as I tried to reach someone Sunday afternoon and evening and was told that someone would call (they just never did).
Stephanie Beall

2012 - 2019, Successful
We started with a questionnaire and an face to face consultation [with Dr. Jason Bromer]. He introduced himself and explained how the facility worked and what test he wanted to run on me and my husband so that we can get a better picture of what was going on. My husband did a semen analysis to check his sperm count and I was given an HSG test where they could see if my fallopian tube‘s were blocked or not . I had had one ectopic pregnancy and already lost one tube so he was pretty certain that my other tube was blocked with endometriosis but he did a test to be sure .
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] was fabulous it was very clean And a calm atmosphere there was a lot of privacy. They were very up-to-date with new technology . There was lots of room and information was easily accessible . They had one main location that was in Rockville Maryland where they did the transfer but they had a smaller clinic in Hagerstown Maryland where I was able to go and I’m still able to go that’s closer to my home . Me and my husband travel about three hours to make our appointments the appointments are very early in the morning so it’s nice to have the convenience of the Dr traveling back-and-forth between the different facilities
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would recommend him to anyone. He has gone through the process with his own family so he was able to understand our fears an concerns. We felt very safe with his medical choices and thought he was/is an outstanding doctor
Be yourself don’t be afraid to ask questions
He was amazing! He really was kind and explained everything to us in detail. He was very patient with us
We started with a questionnaire and an face to face consultation. He introduced himself and explained how the facility worked and what test he wanted to run on me and my husband so that we can get a better picture of what was going on. My husband did a semen analysis to check his sperm count and I was given an HSG test where they could see if my fallopian tube‘s were blocked or not . I had had one ectopic pregnancy and already lost one tube so he was pretty certain that my other tube was blocked with endometriosis but he did a test to be sure . My husband sperm came back a very high count so he was fine my test came back that my rate tube was completely blocked with endometriosis . At that point we had another sitdown meeting face-to-face with him which I liked he was with us every step of the way . He suggested that we do IVF and he explained the reasons why . We have been trying to get pregnant for over three years we had had one miscarriage and one ectopic pregnancy. Ivf would be the safest and best route for our family . I was given Esterase tabs and progesterone injections daily. We had to do several ultrasounds I was given a medication to have my follicles ready so that we can do an egg retrieval. Again Dr bromer was the one doing the procedure of the egg retrieval I was very emotional and nervous but he was so kind and right there with me the whole time explaining to me what he was doing . The lab fertilize my eggs and we had to wait to see if they took . Dr Bromer Called me himself to tell me that we had six that we were going to keep frozen. Then we did a mock transfer. And then we did the actual embryo transfer. The procedure was not painful but it was very emotional and it was cool how he let us see the picture of the embryo and we got to take a copy of The procedure was not painful but it was very emotional and it was cool how he let us see the picture of the embryo and we got to take a copy of it it home. We had to wait two weeks to see if the pregnancy took it was a very long two weeks we found out on December 26 that are pregnancy did take.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jeanette )
Jeanette was fabulous she was my nurse . Jennifer was my lab technician she was amazing every single person remembered my name when I came in and they genuinely cared how we were doing and how we were feeling
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic was fabulous it was very clean And a calm atmosphere there was a lot of privacy. They were very up-to-date with new technology . There was lots of room and information was easily accessible . They had one main location that was in Rockville Maryland where they did the transfer but they had a smaller clinic in Hagerstown Maryland where I was able to go and I’m still able to go that’s closer to my home . Me and my husband travel about three hours to make our appointments the appointments are very early in the morning so it’s nice to have the convenience of the Dr traveling back-and-forth between the different facilities
The monitoring appointments were ran very smoothly they were always done very early in the morning no later than 8 AM so that they could get your lab results back that same day which I appreciate . They work very well with your schedule even the receptionist was very kind and understanding . The doctor was there for all of my monitoring it was very reassuring to see his face and for him to take a look at everything and let us know how the progress was going
The cost for my medications was around $1200 . My co-pay was $20 for every visit . I had to travel three hours for the procedure so I had a lot of money in gas and food . I don’t remember the total cost of my IVF it was thousands of dollars . And now we’re starting the process all over for baby number two
I actually wanted to do a multiple embryo transfer and after talking it over with the doctor we made the decision together that it would be safer to do one transfer
Hagerstown

During appointments, Dr. McKeeby takes plenty of time to explain the diagnosis and the recommended treatment plan. He never makes you feel rushed and always answers all of our questions. He has offered to meet with us beyond our “normal” follow up appointments (if we needed) and has squeezed us in multiple times to keep the process moving forward. When we see him at the office during monitoring appointments he always acknowledges us and often comes to say hi and see how everything is going.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. McKeeby displays a great deal of experience and knowledge. He thoroughly answers all questions and provides examples (and drawings!) to make sure we understand and feel comfortable. Early on in our treatment, Dr. McKeeby built a more personal relationship with us and tried to relate to us about things we had in common, which was helpful in building an overall positive rapport. We’ve had ups and downs so far in our treatment, and Dr. McKeeby has had to communicate difficult or disappointing news to us on multiple occasions. Although sometimes he can be very blunt/direct, he recognizes when we need him to communicate information differently and he will re-state his point. After a difficult first cycle which didn’t end the way we had hoped, he was positive/reassuring and recommended a change in protocol to try and refine the results and increase our chances of success. While it’s too early to say how things will end, we trust his opinion and are very satisfied with our interactions with Dr. McKeeby to this point.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Not so much related to Dr. McKeeby but more the process - don’t be afraid to ask questions, be your own advocate, and be clear about your wishes and concerns.
The first IVF cycle we did was a “standard” protocol - baseline bloodwork and birth control for 2-3 weeks, begin injections of stimulating hormones and attend routine monitoring appointments (bloodwork and ultrasound). Trigger shot of HcG and a scheduled egg retrieval 36 hours later. Although we achieved pretty good results with a decent number of eggs retrieved, we did not have any embryos to transfer this cycle. Dr. McKeeby explained that we’ll change up the protocol for the next cycle in the hopes that we have a more efficient stimulation synchronizing follicle growth and hopefully resulting in more (and better quality) eggs retrieved. Additionally, after the first IVF cycle Dr. McKeeby referred us to another Shady Grove physician to gather some additional information about the male component and to make sure we’re taking the best approach for our situation.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Elizabeth Bazel)
Beth is amazing - she is organized, responsive, compassionate, knowledgeable, and she truly goes above and beyond! She has made us feel cared for and supported throughout the process. We were initially assigned to a different nurse but requested to change to a new nurse very early on in the process due to a disconnect in communication styles and expectations.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Overall it’s been a pretty positive experience with Shady Grove Annapolis. The front desk staff are always friendly and organized, and scheduled appointments with physicians are (mostly) on schedule. The wait times for monitoring appointments can vary anywhere from 15-45 minutes before being seen). I’ve never had a problem getting an appointment and the staff has always been accommodating when they could be. By far the worst part of the process so far has been the financial aspect as the Annapolis office doesn’t have a financial coordinator on site. You spend a lot of time playing phone tag and trying to reach the single financial coordinator assigned to patients in Annapolis, Towson, and Rockville. When you are able to get through they almost never have the answers to your questions and almost always need to get back to you.
Our health insurance covered some of the diagnostic testing and appointments but doesn’t cover anything for infertility, so we are 100% self pay for procedures, medication, and all other related expenses/costs.
For our situation, Dr. McKeeby was not supportive of multiple embryo transfer (I asked!), but he did explain the reasons why and we feel comfortable with that decision.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The first nurse we were assigned to failed to schedule the correct bloodwork/prepare the correct order in the system. It ultimately wasn’t an issue because the phlebotomist caught the error and corrected it immediately.
Annapolis

[Dr. Devine] definitely has a direct communication style but I have never felt like a number. During my appointments with her, she was always patient enough to answer my questions, and I tend to have a great deal of questions. :) She also provides advice that seems to come from a place of care and concern. I felt more “connected” with her after the first meeting. That also might have been because I was overwhelmed about the process.
I am on round one of IVF with donor sperm [at Shady Grove Fertility]. My protocol includes birth control pills and IVF “shots” to include the trigger shot. I have had to increase my Vitamin D. I also elected for PGA testing. Going straight to IVF instead of IUI made the most sense for my age (42)...[nurses are] very knowledgeable about the process and allowed for extra discussions about it. I’ve asked them both at different times to walk me through a notional timeline.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Divine, from the beginning, has been honest and candid about my fertility options. Given that I am over 40, she shared the scary statistics without making them feel daunting. Instead, she highlighted all possible options including ones I had never considered (e.g., using donor eggs if mine are not viable). Although she has a direct communication style (think: straight, no chaser), I found her candor to be refreshing. You definitely know where you stand, both with her, and your fertility options. After every appointment, I was clear on what to do next. She has been thorough, rigorous and quick minded I implicitly trust that she will do everything possible to ensure that I have the best possible options during this journey. Given that I struggle financially and, like many, juggle other life stresses, it is a relief to have a doctor and medical team who don’t add unnecessary stress due to lack of bedside manner, incompetence, etc. Overall, I am pleased with Dr. Divine and I look forward to having her continue to guide me through this process!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask as many questions as you would like. She is patient and thorough! She’s extremely knowledgeable! She will also guide you to nurses for questions they can address.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Divine definitely has a direct communication style but I have never felt like a number. During my appointments with her, she was always patient enough to answer my questions, and I tend to have a great deal of questions. :) She also provides advice that seems to come from a place of care and concern. I felt more “connected” with her after the first meeting. That also might have been because I was overwhelmed about the process.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I am on round one of IVF with donor sperm. My protocol includes birth control pills and IVF “shots” to include the trigger shot. I have had to increase my Vitamin D. I also elected for PGA testing. Going straight to IVF instead of IUI made the most sense for my age (42)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shiela and Kelsey )
I started with Sheila and ended up with Kelsey when Sheila left SGF. Both were very knowledgeable about the process and allowed for extra discussions about it. I’ve asked them both at different times to walk me through a notional timeline. They literally walked through each step very slowly and deliberately. I felt like I was not alone when we talk through the process. They were also very reassuring. I have appreciated working with them both
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
SGF is huge so it is ideal to have questions prepped in advance before making a phone call or laying a visit. Some appointments move very quickly. I would say that if you need to slow them down, advocate for yourself and slow the conversation down. It’s your money, your baby and your experience!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
23,500 for the two round bundle deal. 5,000 for PGS testing, 5,076 for medication. Also approx 2,000 for donor sperm. This is all out of pocket for me unfortunately. No insurance coverage outside of the initial visits
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
No comments on this actually. She mentioned preferring single and it makes sense to me.
Kate Devine

2017 - 2019, Unsuccessful
The only other thing she [Dr. Timmereck] has done repeatedly is bring up my age. I’m 43, and it’s mentioned at EVERY SINGLE appointment I have with her. I know my age! That’s one of the reasons we are there, I don’t need constant reminders!! But overall, since that one phone call, everything has been great. Just don’t expect any unscheduled discussions with her!...don’t expect to feel like you’re her only patients. She is very kind and understanding and was supportive after our miscarriage, but Dr. Timmreck does not make it a secret that she’s extremely busy.
SGF in general is like a factory. The staff, including doctors are very kind, but the sheer volume of patients and wait times can be overwhelming...The first nurse they assigned me was horribly inexperienced, but Natalie has been wonderful. She is kind, compassionate, knowledgeable and I never feel rushed or that I am bothering her. She always responds to me in a timely manner and does exactly what she says she’ll do.
How was your experience with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Overall, she’s been really nice, but at the beginning of our first cycle, they assigned us to a very inexperienced nurse who couldn’t even answer questions on the phone without checking with a colleague. When I called Dr. Timmreck to discuss, she tried to rush me off the phone saying, “I have patients waiting for me” as if I wasn’t a patient myself! But she did reassign us to another experienced nurse. The only other thing she has done repeatedly is bring up my age. I’m 43, and it’s mentioned at EVERY SINGLE appointment I have with her. I know my age! That’s one of the reasons we are there, I don’t need constant reminders!! But overall, since that one phone call, everything has been great. Just don’t expect any unscheduled discussions with her!
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Just don’t expect to feel like you’re her only patients. She is very kind and understanding and was supportive after our miscarriage, but Dr. Timmreck does not make it a secret that she’s extremely busy.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Lorna Timmreck used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
First cycle: I don’t remember the dosages, but we did BCP for 2.5 weeks, then Gonal-f and Menopur injections for 14 days, at some point, they added in cetrotide injections, but I don’t remember exactly when. I did a Lupron trigger shot, then egg retrieval and 5 day transfer Second cycle: we had the Gonal-f and Menopur injections with the added cetrotide again, I don’t remember the dosages, but I do remember that this time it went on for 16 days. Lupron trigger and then egg retrieval. No eggs fertilized in this cycle, so no transfer occurred :( Third cycle in progress: we are on day 7 of Gonal-f and Menopur injections. They increased the Gonal dosage so we hopefully can trigger earlier this time.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Natalie Eaton)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic is like a factory. The plus side: they have the system down pat, so you know exactly what to expect and can learn how to work the system to your advantage. The down side: it is EXTREMELY busy ALL THE TIME. They only have 2 blood draw chairs and 3 ultrasound rooms, so you could make an appointment for monitoring at 7:30am and not be seen until 9:00 or later. They do have several other locations in the area, so you can go to any of those locations to be seen if more convenient. But they are all just as busy!
Describe the costs associated with your care under Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility.
They have a multi-cycle discount of $18,500 for 2 cycles. This not include the medications which can be another $5,000-7,000 per cycle.
Describe Lorna Timmreck's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
They did tell me that they would only transfer 2 embryos at a time. We only had 2 that were mature enough to transfer anyway, so it was fine.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
It was only the first inexperienced nurse we had that provided incorrect information about my husband’s fertility issue. She almost caused us to give up entirely until we requested a new nurse and a second opinion.

2018 - 2019, Consult
We saw Dr. McKeeby after our first failed cycle at another clinic. We were heartbroken, financially struggling and still, we clung to hope. He sat with us for over an hour during our first initial consult. He went thru every page (400 pages) of our medical records from our previous facility. When we tried to transfer our eggs from the other facility to Shady Groves lab, he called me personally to tell me the bad news. The old RE did not freeze our eggs appropriately and they would not be viable for thaw. He gave us devastating news, but he was calm and precise about his reasons. I respect him due to his honesty and compassion.
They [nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] take the time to talk to us and explain each question or concern that we have...The benefits/strengths include the cleanliness of all of their facilities, their friendly staff (from the front desk, to the lab technicians, to the nurses and physicians) and the way they make you feel welcome and less like a number...The only thing that went wrong was the clinic scheduled my appointment for the Annapolis location and I was suppose to be at the Salisbury location. It has bumped our appointment almost 30 days back, but it was a small mistake with no consequences.
How was your experience with Jeffrey McKeeby at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a ton of questions, because he will absolutely take the time to answer them. When you leave all of your medical questions are answered completely, and you understand the treatment plans ahead.
Dr. McKeeby was the second RE that we saw. His team (Urologist Dr. Tanikarut) has been phenomenal. We were really let down by our first RE and had lost most hope to being parents. Dr. McKeeby is in the midst of making a plan for our future IVF cycles. He is honest and realistic and for that I am thankful. I am a nurse, and I know a lot more than the average patient. He doesn't make me feel like my questions and concerns are a bother, he takes the time to answer them completely.
We have not done a cycle with Dr. McKeeby yet, my husband is still on the medications to boost his count and raise his testosterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Beth )
We are still new in the process at this clinic, but from our past experience they have been great. Our previous facility never knew us (even if we were there the day prior, they would forget why we were there (male factor), did not call to follow up post egg retrieval). We aren't just a number to them. They take the time to talk to us and explain each question or concern that we have.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The only thing that is hard about our clinic is the drive. It is a two hour drive to get to the clinic with cryopreservation, but we do not mind because we really like the clinic and staff. The benefits/strengths include the cleanliness of all of their facilities, their friendly staff (from the front desk, to the lab technicians, to the nurses and physicians) and the way they make you feel welcome and less like a number.
I do not remember specifics as we are have an appointment coming up to sit down in regards to IVF costs.
Salisbury

2016 - 2019, Successful
I always felt like she [Dr. Anitha Nair] really cared about me as an individual. She asked about my work, never rushed when I had lots of questions, was candid yet compassionate in all of her communication. And even though my transfer was scheduled while she was on vacation, she called me to check in that morning!...She was fully present during our visits. She never rushed or seemed annoyed when I had a lot of questions. She treated me like an educated, informed adult (which is more than I can say for my prior doctor).
It was easy to get an appointment [at Shady Grove Fertility], and the locations are convenient. All of the staff were competent and kind. I did have to call to remind the insurance/billing specialist about my authorizations, after not hearing from them before a procedure...My nurse the first time was very good. She sometimes didn’t get back to me as quickly as I would have liked, but overall was compassionate and answered my questions and served as a very helpful resource. The other nurses and staff who I interacted with during monitoring appointments, etc. were all wonderful.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I always felt like she cared about the smallest details, and that she had my best interests at heart. She was fully present during our visits. She never rushed or seemed annoyed when I had a lot of questions. She treated me like an educated, informed adult (which is more than I can say for my prior doctor).
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Have your list of questions ready, and she will answer all of them!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I always felt like she really cared about me as an individual. She asked about my work, never rushed when I had lots of questions, was candid yet compassionate in all of her communication. And even though my transfer was scheduled while she was on vacation, she called me to check in that morning!
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
We did a pretty standard (antagonist?) IVF protocol for a fresh transfer. It was the first cycle we had tried, after 3 failed IUIs at another clinic that declined to let us try a fresh transfer. I did not take BCP because I’ve had bad reactions in the past, and Dr. Nair was supportive of me declining that component. I responded well to the protocol.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
It was easy to get an appointment, and the locations are convenient. All of the staff were competent and kind. I did have to call to remind the insurance/billing specialist about my authorizations, after not hearing from them before a procedure.
It definitely felt a little bit like a cattle call, but a well run one. I went in the morning before work and it was always packed but moved along fairly quickly.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had really good insurance coverage for the cycle, including meds. I had already met my out of pocket max, thanks to IUIs done earlier in the year, so my IVF cycle cost very little. I paid an office visit copay when I saw the doctor. The most expensive part was the cost for a nurse to help me at home with my injections the first few days (I was nervous!!). And also the embryo storage, which insurance did not cover.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was happy to do eSET, and Dr. Nair was fully supportive given my age and history.
Anitha Nair
Washington DC

[Dr. Lorna Timmreck] didn't seem to care about us as patients and was always very rushed. Her responses were passive at every meeting, which was only two or three times during my 3 attempts at Timed Intercourse...Dr. Timmerick was very passive and seemed more like she was going through a routine and reading off cue cards than actually listening, providing answers, and caring about me as a person.
My nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility] was a mess; she was my main contact at Shady Grove and never had any clue who I was, my history, or what treatment I was doing...they were to schedule weekend testing for me at Rockville but Rockville had no information on me having been scheduled when I arrived...The clinic staff in Columbia never had any clue who I was, my history, or what treatment I was doing. They actually sent me lab results from another patient with a similar name and were moving forward with treatment based on those results until I noticed it and had it corrected. I had a few experiences for testing at Rockville and Towson locations and they seemed better but would be too far a distance for me to go there regularly.
How was your experience with Lorna Timmreck at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Timmerick didn't seem to care about us as patients and was always very rushed. Her responses were passive at every meeting, which was only two or three times during my 3 attempts at Timed Intercourse.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kim)
My nurse was a mess; she was my main contact at Shady Grove and never had any clue who I was, my history, or what treatment I was doing.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Again, they tried to schedule treatments for me based on lab results they uploaded for me, which I noticed were for another patient and were just erroneously uploaded to my chart. There were two instances where my medications weren't called in; they claimed it was the pharmacy's error but I work with the same pharmacy with a different clinic now and have no issues so am inclined to believe it was their problem. There was also an instance where they were to schedule weekend testing for me at Rockville but Rockville had no information on me having been scheduled when I arrived.