6.9

Westminster, MD 21157
Woodbridge
13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192

Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me...When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI.
I love that the clinic [Shady Grove - DC K St] has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring....I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is very knowledgeable in her field of practice. It is clear that she wants results and hold herself to high standards. She is direct and no-nonsense while still offering hope and I really appreciate this quality in a doctor. Because of these strengths I found it really disappointing that I had almost no contact with her. I had much more contact with the nurse assigned to me-Sheila Ormond who is a phenomenal nurse and support to me during my cycles. When I walked in for my first IUI cycle I was dismayed to see a woman I had never met. I asked her where my doctor was and she said that Dr. Devine would not be performing my IUI. I really wanted to see Dr. Devine and get her real time insights on my cycle. Same thing during my 2nd IUI cycle. Doctor Devine was nowhere in sight. I was assigned a Physicians Assistant who did the IUI. During my 2nd cycle I ran into some complications --my trigger shot did not work! I was sure of it and I needed to speak to Dr. Devine desperately. The nurses did not seem concerned by my pleas to speak with her. They told me that they would handle it and that I should speak to her through them. At that point I reminded them that I am a self-pay patient and I deserved to speak with my doctor. After several hours, she called and we talked at length and she was able to devise a new plan of action. Again, I respect Dr. Devine and her expertise and it is this respect that I have for her that leaves me wanting more contact with her, especially during a complicated cycle.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Have all of your questions written down in advance. She does a great job answering them but you must offer them. If not, she keeps it short and sweet. Also feel free to contribute your thoughts and ideas, after all you are an expert on your own body. She is willing to work with patients when devising treatment plans.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I feel that Dr. Devine treats me like a human being. When she was forced to cancel my first IUI cycle due to over-stimulation she called me personally to tell me and to go over next steps. Since I was paying completely out of pocket she was able to work with me to do my next IUI at no cost, even the meds were provided for me. I really appreciated this gesture.
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
1st cancelled IUI cycle protocol: Clomid 100 mg CD 2-7, Gonal -F 75 CD7-9, trigger, vaginal prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result: cancelled due to overstim 2nd IUI Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger,Estrace due to thin lining, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result BFN 3rd Cycle: Femera CD 2-7, Menopur CD 7-8, HCG trigger (trigger failed), 2nd trigger novarel administered intramuscular, Estrace due to thin lining on femera, prometrium 200 mg twice a day. Result TBD I was started out on a high dose protocol due to an elevated day 3FSH, I overstimmed and I also had strange visual side effects with the clomid so I was switched to femera. Not sure why I was switched to menopur but my nurse said something about it being helpful to my lining? (not sure whether that is coming from any real wisdom or if it was a way to get me to stop asking questions) I was switched to novarel trigger during my 3rd cycle because I did not respond to the Ovidrel.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Sheila Ormond)
Sheila Ormond is a sweet, and helpful Nurse. She answers my questions and lets me know when she cannot and when she cannot she always follows up with Dr Devine in order to get me an answer.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I love that the clinic has 7 am monitoring hours. I am able to make these appointments while being only minimally late for work. I also like that you can be in and out in the morning without long forms to fill or people to meet with during monitoring. The staff keeps the flow of patients moving quickly. The clinic is closed at 4 and for an hour midday for lunch (12-1) I think given its high capacity functioning and sheer number of patients, it should be open for scheduling and calls during the lunch hour. It should also close at 5 (6 even). Other than the morning monitoring hours, the rest of the day's schedule isn't very convenient.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
base IUI fee $1800 Meds: $500
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Admittedly, I ask a lot of questions and because I have VERY limited access to my Doctor, many of the ppl I am asking are nurses or Ultrasound tech or PA's. So depending on who I ask I get a totally different answer. For example, I asked whether progesterone can be measured in my blood the day after ovulation. I was told by the PA who administered my IUI that it could not. But I knew that it could. It may not be at peak but it would still begin to slowly rise. I pushed for a blood test and sure enough it hadn't moved and that is how Dr. Devine confirmed that I had not in fact ovulated from the trigger.

Embryo Freezing With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
Things I like about Dr. Devine: she always takes the time to talk to you extensively about results (good and bad) and about the prognosis. She is really, really good at setting expectations (low ones in my situation). She is the first doctor who said I might need a gestational carrier...Dr. Devine is not warm and fuzzy, as noted above. But she is really really good at setting expectations and I appreciate that....you end up seeing whoever is there that day so I didn't always see Dr. Devine. She will call you to follow up
Shady Grove is kind of run like a factory, but I think there are totally upsides to that depending on what you are being treated for...I think the doctors, nurses, and other staff there really know what they are doing and you get great care overall. Everything is convenient and efficient. However, if you want your hand held by a specific doctor, this is not the place to go....I would say that the nurses are highly variable. ...Shady Grove is really good about preparing you for the costs of things in general.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is not warm and fuzzy, as noted above. But she is really really good at setting expectations and I appreciate that. I went to her to preserve my fertility because I had a difficult time getting and being pregnant with my first child. That evolved into me actually trying to get pregnant with a second child - this has not happened yet and we've moved onto getting a gestational carrier and will be working with Shady Grove to do this. We decided it would be a good idea to create embryos right away after having our first child (in part because my insurance actually covered it and I had the time). I got amazing results from the one IVF cycle that I did at Shady Grove: 28 eggs retrieved, 24 were mature, 21 fertilized, 16 made it to day 5 embryos and were frozen, and 8 were genetically normal (2 of the 16 were re-biopsed because they didn't get conclusive results and one was normal and the other was not). That was awesome. However, during the IVF cycle, we discovered that I had "Asherman's Syndrome" still or again - I had it before my first child was born but thought it was treated. It either wasn't totally treated or it recurred from a c-section. We then discovered that even when the scars sticking the sides of the uterus were cleared I still seem to have an abnormally thin lining that tends to collect fluid during treatments that raise my estrogen level - there seems to be a trade-off between thickening the lining and increasing the fluid. Neither of these things is good for implantation. Ugh. I've now had 3 more hysteroscopies since doing IVF (I had 3 prior to having my first child)and done 2 questionable transfers of genetically normal embryos to suboptimal lining conditions at Shady Grove (under the theory that I got pregnant before with a very thin lining - 4mm). My lining does not make it out of the 4mm range. We've now called it quits on the transfers and we are officially moving onto a gestational carrier, as noted above. Dr. Devine actually thought I should go straight to a GC the first time I met with her based on the trauma of my first pregnancy (di-tri triplets, multi-fetal pregnancy reduction, debilitating nausea, intrauterine growth restriction, c-section at 36 weeks and 3 pound 11 ounce baby). But I insisted on trying again to get pregnant. I am calling it quits because it's been 4 years of infertility taking over my life, more than 5 different fertility doctors (not to mention the other ob/gyns and MFMs involved), 2 miscarriages, 2 partial ovarian torsions, 1 botched D&C, 1 multi-fetal pregnancy reduction, 1 c-section, 1 amazing baby with scary terrible pregnancy, 6 hysteroscopies, 2 unsuccessful frozen embryo transfers, and countless random doctors and nurses telling me that my uterus doesn't look good on ultrasound. I can honestly say that the least stressful part of this whole experience was actually my IVF cycle at Shady Grove. That was a total nothing. Worked out great. Can't ask for better results.
If you want someone warm and fuzzy, I would not go to Dr. Devine. If you want someone who will be straight with you, Dr. Devine is amazing. I must tell you that because of how Shady Grove works, you end up seeing whoever is there that day so I didn't always see Dr. Devine. She will call you to follow up but sometimes it's not at a convenient time for you so you end up relying on what other doctors and nurses are saying. This is not a problem with Dr. Devine; this is more just about how the Shady Grove practice works. Everything is high quality, but you don't get your hand held by one person. You have A LOT of access to your nurse, but not as much access to your doctor.
It is so hard to review doctors when you are still in the process of being treated by them and don't know what will result! Things I like about Dr. Devine: she always takes the time to talk to you extensively about results (good and bad) and about the prognosis. She is really, really good at setting expectations (low ones in my situation). She is the first doctor who said I might need a gestational carrier and I was actually able to hear that. HOWEVER, Shady Grove is kind of run like a factory, but I think there are totally upsides to that depending on what you are being treated for. So I do sometimes feel like a number there. It's not a warm and fuzzy place. But I'm in a spot with my fertility issues where I don't really need warm and fuzzy right now. I just need the care to be good and I do think Shady Grove has an excellent lab. One thing to watch for is that you have a ton of access to nurses and other ancillary staff at Shady Grove but it can be hard to schedule time to actually talk to your doctor. On the other hand, I don't really need to talk to my doctor all of the time now anyway. I am not having any medical emergencies, etc. Mixed feelings. But yes, when I talk to Dr. Devine, she treats me very much like a human.
I actually don't remember the specifics of the drugs I took for my one IVF cycle with Dr. Devine. She was concerned about over-stimulating me (I have PCOS and am very responsive to fertility drugs and have had partial ovarian torsion twice). She managed to maximize the number of mature eggs while not over-stimulating me which was great. The rationale for doing IVF was to preserve my fertility since I was 36, my insurance covered it, and I had a hard time conceiving my first child due to Asherman's Syndrome. It's now totally awesome that we have the embryos because we are pursuing a gestational carrier. Okay, here's the complicated thing that happened while I saw Dr. Devine: I wanted to get a hysteroscopy from my old doctor in San Francisco because he had already performed 2 hysteroscopies. I went to him in December of 2016. On hysteroscopy, he thought my uterus looked pretty good and put me on an estrogen therapy protocol. Every single time I went in to have my lining checked at Shady Grove during the estrogen therapy protocol, the lining was still really thin and my California doctor thought I should keep taking the estrogen. Dr. Devine didn't think the estrogen therapy was working. I went with the California doctor's advice because he had helped me in the past and I had had a successful pregnancy. Dr. Devine might be right that it wasn't working. I don't really know. Anyway, I did the estrogen therapy for 3 months. Then I did two unsuccessful frozen embryo transfers. Both cycles were really confusing because my lining didn't look great (still thin and fluid-filled), I was in the process of moving to New York City and was doing outside monitoring and seeing random clinicians for the measurements/assessments of my uterine lining. I would take a picture on my phone of the image of my uterus and send it to Dr. Devine's nurse because outside monitoring does not actually send the images (just a written report). I don't even know what to say about that experience. Outside monitoring is just a really really terrible experience if you have a uterine lining problem. It was terrible but not because of anything Dr. Devine did. She was very clear about the likelihood of success with these transfers not being great (as mentioned above, she is very good about setting expectations - and in my case, setting them low). This all prompted me to actually get another doctor in New York City. This New York doctor partnered really well with Dr. Devine and that was great. They knew, liked, and respected each other and I felt like I was in much better hands once that occurred. I really wish someone at Shady Grove had encouraged me to actually see a doctor in New York sooner (and not just do outside monitoring). I only got another doctor because I took the initiative. The nurse at Shady Grove made it seem like it was no big deal to do outside monitoring and let me tell you it really really was for me. It was expensive, time-consuming, and frustrating.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I would say that the nurses are highly variable. I had a few nurses who were absolutely amazing (Sheila Ormond, most notably). They are so responsive and compassionate and because of how the practice is run you end up interacting with them a lot and they really know and understand your situation. However, it's uneven - I randomly had a nurse for a few weeks during a time when I was doing outside monitoring who was unresponsive and had no idea what was going on with my case. She got re-assigned (perhaps after I complained, though I'm not sure). I now have a gestational carrier coordinator who seems great. But yeah, I would say it's variable. The nice thing about a "factory" place is that because of the sheer volume of nurses, you can probably complain and get re-assigned easily to someone really good.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I'm repeating myself. Shady Grove is a "factory" and there are pluses and minuses to this. I think the doctors, nurses, and other staff there really know what they are doing and you get great care overall. Everything is convenient and efficient. However, if you want your hand held by a specific doctor, this is not the place to go. I am happy with Shady Grove because I did a successful cycle of IVF there and I feel like they have adapted well to my evolving situation (moving to New York, involving another doctor, moving onto a gestational carrier).
They weren't too bad. My insurance actually covered a round of IVF so that was minimal cost. We also had a physician discount of 20% (my husband is a physician) on other procedures. The thing that was really expensive was actually the outside monitoring that I did in New York City. So be prepared for that. Shady Grove is really good about preparing you for the costs of things in general. But I was not prepared for the cost of outside monitoring.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Dr. Devine is a huge advocate of eSET. I'm sure there are specific situations where she would be okay with a multiple embryo transfer. But not for me!
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
A couple of issues - because you are always seeing different nurses and doctors, sometimes they don't know the whole history and things get lost in translation. My situation is legitimately confusing so I'm not blaming anyone. However, I had a saline ultrasound test where the doctor (not Dr. Devine) flipped what side of my uterus was collapsed and this mattered because it made me feel like I now had scarring on the opposite side. We figured out that it was a mix up. Also, when I had a random nurse for a few weeks who I did not like, I found her to be unresponsive so it was harder to do things like get prescriptions sorted out.
2015 - 2018, Unknown Success
I find Dr. Moon very personable and honest, which is great. Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed, even though they asked me my birth date multiple times ... Dr. Moon is very open and a candid communicator. She was honest about whether she thought I should pursue treatment, and when one cycle wasn't going well, she was honest about whether she thought I should cancel or not. I really appreciate the fact that every time I talk to her, I know I'm hearing exactly what she thinks about my situation.
Shady Grove does a huge business in the DC-area and knows how to treat its patients. There are no "emotional frills" -- or maybe I just haven't needed them -- but the treatment is efficient and empathetic to its patients' needs... I always found everyone friendly, empathetic, and caring....I remember that I got 4 cycles/20 eggs for $12k + med costs....Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I would just say good luck with the treatment! There are definitely no worries or concerns about Dr. Moon herself.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I find Dr. Moon very personable and honest, which is great. Sometimes the small niceties are missing -- e.g., once I had a retrieval on my birthday and no one noticed, even though they asked me my birth date multiple times and the current date was written down everywhere, LOL.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't remember all the details of my retrieval, but I think the procedures were pretty standard. I used Bravelle (+ one other drug I'm not remembering), standard trigger shots (only one intramuscular), and never had any problems recovering from the actual retrievals.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: (don't remember))
I don't remember many specifics, but I always found everyone friendly, empathetic, and caring.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
I remember that I got 4 cycles/20 eggs for $12k + med costs. There was a refund if you only did one (or maybe two) cycle(s), but since I didn't take that option I don't remember the details.
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I haven't gone through embryo transfer yet, but Dr. Moon seems open to eSET, for which I am extremely grateful.
Washington DC

If you want a straightforward treatment, he [Dr. Wildra] is great and very step by step. If you have a more complicated case that requires exploring alternative options, maybe even combining eastern or holistic treatment then I recommend trying someone else...I used the same protocols for both FETs and both resulted in positive pregnancy but we miscarried at around 5 weeks or so...he started suggesting using a gestational carrier due to my low AmH. It was great that he was direct and up front but I also realized that we never looked at maybe treating the cause first before doing our second attempt. He knew about
We retrieved 10 eggs, 5 embryos survived and were sent for PGS testing and only 3 survived [with Shady Grove Fertility]. 2 embryos where successful FETs...Robin [nurse] was great, she was always easy to talk to and always reachable. She always kept in touch and would always reach out thru phone calls and leave voicemails... they are very organized and it helps especially if you are working because you can be in and out. The clinic is quite busy but they are on top of things and its always nice and clean. I remember they even have a wall of heart shaped post-its with messages from the patients there and I remember always reading them while I wait.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I chose to consult with Dr Widra because he had a high rating when I was doing my research and it mentioned that he stayed true to the facts and numbers. We appreciated that because he gave us a good idea of our odds. He was great at breaking it down and explaining the steps that he even made drawings to make sure we understood. After our first miscarriage, he called and explained that this happens and there is no way to really know what caused it. HIs tone was calm and hopeful so we decided to give it another go. That second attempt was also unsuccessful and unfortunately, he started suggesting using a gestational carrier due to my low AmH. It was great that he was direct and up front but I also realized that we never looked at maybe treating the cause first before doing our second attempt. He knew about my endometriosis and it showed on my MRI, he said it wasn't going to affect my chances of pregnancy but after two failed attempts, I wish I asked for a second opinion.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
If you want a straightforward treatment, he is great and very step by step. If you have a more complicated case that requires exploring alternative options, maybe even combining eastern or holistic treatment then I recommend trying someone else.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
when I miscarried, he gave me a call and left me a voicemail when I didn't answer. I appreciate him staying optimistic during our second round of embryo transfer, unfortunately it also did not stick. Also during the tons of bloodwork that I had to do, when I bumped into him at the clinic, he would greet me and know my name, I appreciate that
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My FET protocol: Birth Control Pills - 21-day pack (1 - 2 packs) Del Estrogen (4 mg = 0.2 ml): 0.2 ml IM every third evening (#1 vial) Progesterone in Oil (50 mg/1 ml): 1 ml IM every night (#3 vials) I used the same protocols for both FETs and both resulted in positive pregnancy but we miscarried at around 5 weeks or so. My egg retrieval protocol: Initial medication dosing for the first three nights: PM: Gonal-F 225IU and Menopur 75IU (1 vial) Gonadotropins for 10 to 12 days with monitoring every 1-2 days Midway thru stimulation, once follicles are of appropriate size continuing gonadotropins and beginning Cetrotide/Ganirelix Once sufficient follicles >18mm we had Lupron trigger injection We retrieved 10 eggs, 5 embryos survived and were sent for PGS testing and only 3 survived. 2 embryos where successful FETs. I also unfortunately had a really bad reaction after my egg retrieval which left me in bed for days, I was nauseated and just weak. I was given anti-nausea meds and was told that people can have varying reactions and that this is normal
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Robin Peterson)
Robin was great, she was always easy to talk to and always reachable. She always kept in touch and would always reach out thru phone calls and leave voicemails. The entire nursing staff was alright, they remembered me for the number of times I go to the clinic and they always were very friendly and cordial
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic is great, they are very organized and it helps especially if you are working because you can be in and out. The clinic is quite busy but they are on top of things and its always nice and clean. I remember they even have a wall of heart shaped post-its with messages from the patients there and I remember always reading them while I wait.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
I remember getting a bill from the insurance company for around $10K
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
he said that due to my condition, pregnancy would be high risk so he strongly suggested to transfer only one embryo at a time
Washington DC

[Protocol with Dr. Paul Shin] Varicocele surgery and follow up sperm analyses...At the consultation, Dr. Shin listened to what we had been through and decided to perform an exam on my husband. During the exam he discovered the fertility issue - a varicocele which explained the sperm issues we saw in the analysis and is a cause of male factor infertility...My husband and I had gone through a year of infertility treatments abroad (IUI, injectable hormones with timed intercourse, 6 months of femara) with no success before we saw Dr. Shin...After so much mystery surrounding our infertility, it felt like a huge relief to have an answer!
Varicocele surgery and follow up sperm analyses [with Dr. Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility]...I think Shady Gove Fertility is one of the only clinics that employs a urologist! It speaks to their commitment to trying to figure out the cause the fertility issues and the best way to treat patients...At the consultation, Dr. Shin listened to what we had been through and decided to perform an exam on my husband. During the exam he discovered the fertility issue - a varicocele which explained the sperm issues we saw in the analysis and is a cause of male factor infertility...
How was your experience with Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility?
At the consultation, Dr. Shin took my husband to room to examine him and then he came back and got me where he showed me a clearly formed varicocele that was so apparent it could be seen with the naked eye! He used an ultrasound to show us how large it was. After so much mystery surrounding our infertility, it felt like a huge relief to have an answer! Research showed us that up to 40% of males with a varicocele experience trouble conceiving. After Dr. Shin discovered the varicocele, we recommended a few options including surgery. Because we wanted multiple children and our age, we decided to pursue IVF AND also varicocele surgery with the hope that we might be able to conceive naturally in the future. He performed the surgery in August 2017. Subsequent sperm analysis showed improvement. Dr. Shin stayed in touch with us and consulted with us on the improvements. Following the surgery, we had my husband's sperm analyzed several times and it showed improvement. This was encouraging news. In May 2018, we welcomed out son who had been conceived via IVF. In May 2019, we started TTC naturally and became pregnant NATURALLY 6 months later! We are expecting our son in April 2020. We truly believe that the surgery Dr. Shin performed helped us conceive our son and are so grateful to him. He is a very easy going, compassionate individual with a great sense of humor who guided us during a difficult time and helped us achieve our dream of expanding our family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility?
If sperm analyses have shown that there are factors below normal range, please see a urologist, specifically Dr. Shin! So many times clinics only look at the woman when male factor infertility can play a role 50% of the time! Because we saw Dr. Shin we were able to tackle the fertility issue and conceive naturally!
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility?
My husband and I had gone through a year of infertility treatments abroad (IUI, injectable hormones with timed intercourse, 6 months of femara) with no success before we saw Dr. Shin. Some of my husband's sperm numbers in the sperm analysis, specifically morphology, were below the normal range. While the flags were apparent in terms of issues related to sperm, the doctors we saw previously did not look into my husband and what might be causing our fertility issues and said we had unexplained infertility. At the consultation, Dr. Shin listened to what we had been through and decided to perform an exam on my husband. During the exam he discovered the fertility issue - a varicocele which explained the sperm issues we saw in the analysis and is a cause of male factor infertility.
Describe the protocols Paul Shin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Varicocele surgery and follow up sperm analyses.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Paul Shin at Shady Grove Fertility.
The varicocele surgery was completely covered by insurance (Aetna).
Paul Shin

IUI With Other Docs
Dr. Nair was extremely compassionate and kind throughout the entire IVF process...Dr. Nair sat down with us and walked us through their predictive model and what to expect. I felt she always had our best interest and safety in mind. For example, we were highly encouraged to only transfer one embryo...The stakes are high, both personally and financially, and Dr. Nair understands that.... Her gentle, kind, and compassionate demeanor really helped put me at ease and have full confidence in her and the team.
I was extremely satisfied with the care we received at Shady Grove Fertility... The only department at SGF I was not impressed with was the financial department. They were extremely disorganized and created a lot of unnecessary confusions in terms of treatments, cost, payments, etc....Debbie Rice was absolutely wonderful! She was kind and compassionate and I really connected with her. I emailed and spoke to her by phone almost daily throughout the IVF process.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was extremely satisfied with the care we received at Shady Grove Fertility and Dr. Nair. Dr. Nair had actually come recommended from a friend of mine who had been her patient and is now the mother of beautiful twins. Dr. Nair sat down with us and walked us through their predictive model and what to expect. I felt she always had our best interest and safety in mind. For example, we were highly encouraged to only transfer one embryo. While we only ended up with two embryos at the end of the process, instead of the four that the model predicted, both were A++ embryos and the one transferred resulted in our beautiful baby boy. I felt jilted by the fertility experience after a year of failed treatments abroad resulting in no pregnancies. Dr. Nair's kind and compassionate demeanor immediately allowed me trust her and trust the IVF process with Shady Grove Fertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't ignore their pre-IVF checklist. I had been undergoing fertility treatments for a year abroad (in Hong Kong) resulting in no pregnancies. While my husband's sperm analysis results showed issues, our doctor in Hong Kong did not look into why. I happen to see that an appointment with a urologist was recommended so I scheduled one with Dr. Shin. Dr. Shin identified the issue - my husband had a varicocele. We decided to move forward with IVF while at the same time my husband had the surgery to correct it. We are hoping this will help with conceiving children naturally in the future. Also, ask as many questions as you need to until you feel comfortable moving forward with the IVF process. The stakes are high, both personally and financially, and Dr. Nair understands that.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair was extremely compassionate and kind throughout the entire IVF process. She acknowledged the difficulties and discomforts. I felt that we were in great hands and I didn't have to micro manage the process. Though the personal and financial stakes where high, I fully and completely trusted her. When the outcome wasn't quite what was predicted (for example, the predictive model showed we would have four embryos at the end instead of two) she took my concerns into consideration and explained the results. Her gentle, kind, and compassionate demeanor really helped put me at ease and have full confidence in her and the team. She also knew I'd gone through a year of failed infertility treatments with a doctor (abroad) that I felt took our money knowing the treatments would fail. Knowing my sensitivities and distrust she paired me with Debbie Rice as my nurse, someone who was equality dependable, compassionate, and kind which really made it a smooth process.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I took 17 days of birth control pills and then started taking the IVF medications. I started with Gonal F 150 IU and Menopur 75 IU and went in for monitoring daily. Each day they would call me with the results and let me know how to proceed with my medication. Adjustments were made to the dosages. For example, at on monitoring session the blood tests showed a spike in my progesterone which caused them to adjust the medication down, until the levels went down, and then they adjusted the medication up again. I also had a cyst in one of my ovaries which impacted the growth of follicles on that side. I felt bloated as the follicles matured but otherwise ok. Once they were close to reaching maturity, I was given very specific instructions on how and when to take Cetrotide - the trigger shot. Egg retrieval was the only time I felt I had not been prepared as I was in a lot of pain following the procedure. Fortunately, I filled the pain medication prescription they gave me and that helped alleviate the pain. Throughout the whole treatment, I was in daily contact with my nurse, Debbie Rice, or a backup if she was out of the office. My questions and concerns were promptly responded to. I felt very well informed and always knew exactly what I needed to do.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Debbie Rice)
Debbie Rice was absolutely wonderful! She was kind and compassionate and I really connected with her. I emailed and spoke to her by phone almost daily throughout the IVF process. She would give me very clear instructions and would explain if adjustments to my protocol were made and why. She also relayed questions I had to Dr. Nair or answered them when she could and even made me laugh, despite the insurmountable amount of stress I felt. She was gentle when she delivered the news about the final embryo count and allowed me to cry and process the news. I actually did not take a home pregnancy test in advance of the blood test following the transfer. When she delivered the news that I was pregnant it was a true surprise and I could tell she was reveling in our joy. She is amazing!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Something to strongly consider when selecting a clinic is the quality of the embryologist and labs. Before I went through this process, I focused a lot on the doctor but having been through the process I now truly understand and appreciate the vital role the embryologist play in your IVF success. Once egg retrieval happens, they take over, carefully caring for each of the embryos and ensuring they develop properly. Also, I did acupuncture with Autumn at SGF throughout the cycle. She was so kind and knowledgeable. Each treatment I felt really helped me physically and emotionally and I would highly recommend it. On a personal note, I really appreciated that several members of my IVF team had been patients themselves. This allowed me to feel supported and understood during each phase. The only department at SGF I was not impressed with was the financial department. They were extremely disorganized and created a lot of unnecessary confusions in terms of treatments, cost, payments, etc. They tried to get me to pay for things that I didn't have to or had already paid for. Also, our insurance covered none of the treatment so we paid a lump sum for one IVF cycle. Despite the fact that all care was included, they billed my insurance for some of the appointments and procedures. I caught the claims and it was a headache to reverse but I felt it was so wrong for them to do that.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have Aetna insurance and they have negotiated rates with Shady Grove Fertility. Therefore, we paid $7,500 for the IVF cycle and about $3,000 for medication. I have to admit that one of the big draws to Shady Grove Fertility was the Shaded Risk Plan. After doing a lot of research and crunching numbers, we realized that it was not the right fit for us. One of the big reasons is because medication is not included. On top of the lump sum, you are paying $3-5k in medication for each cycle. Additionally, research indicated that they lean towards selecting couples for the program that have a higher chance of succeeding in the first cycle. Therefore, when they told us we were approved for the program I was hoping it was because they thought we'd be successful on the first cycle. It's a high stakes financial gamble where you have to hedge your bets. For some the program is worth it, for others it's not so do your research.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were highly encouraged to transfer one embryo. I have to admit that before starting IVF the thought of twins for the price of one cycle was extremely appealing. Though, after a lot of research I realized the risks. In the end, I agreed with Dr. Nair's advice of having one healthy baby at a time.

Surrogacy With Other Docs
I often got the feeling that my case was too complicated [with Dr. Eric Wildra]. I was made to feel like I was a set of illnesses, rather than a patient that was trying to conceive. It was very unclear after the first visit what I was supposed to do, as clear instructions weren't really given. I felt like just another number, and I really didn't feel confident in the care I was receiving. I didn't try switching doctors, it felt like that would achieve similar results. Instead I switched clinics.
Due to a high patient volume [at Shady Grove Fertility], it felt like many people were given the same protocol and there wasn't much outside of the box thinking for a tougher case. Bedside manner was very matter of fact, and advice was very standard. It felt like if your numbers weren't as high as some other clients you would be automatically directed to donor eggs. I very much felt like just another number here, and not like a person.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I often got the feeling that my case was too complicated. I was made to feel like I was a set of illnesses, rather than a patient that was trying to conceive. It was very unclear after the first visit what I was supposed to do, as clear instructions weren't really given. I felt like just another number, and I really didn't feel confident in the care I was receiving. I didn't try switching doctors, it felt like that would achieve similar results. Instead I switched clinics.
Go in educated on your possible options, things are explained very quickly so you'll want to try to familiarize yourself with some terms if possible. Also bring a notebook and pen so you can take good notes. If you're using this practice expect it to feel like a cattle call, and don't expect much personalized attention. Be your own best advocate.
Due to a high patient volume, it felt like many people were given the same protocol and there wasn't much outside of the box thinking for a tougher case. Bedside manner was very matter of fact, and advice was very standard. It felt like if your numbers weren't as high as some other clients you would be automatically directed to donor eggs. I very much felt like just another number here, and not like a person.
I did not get to the point of a cycle as it was uncertain what option the doctor felt was best to use. I could have proceed with donor eggs, or waited to see if they could figure out my case. If I proceeded with my own eggs an antagonist protocol was mentioned, with BCP to start. It was a frustrating experience as we hadn't even done my day 3 labs yet, and already I felt very dismissed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Robin)
I felt like my nurse provided good communicator and she was the one good aspect of my visit/experience with Shady Grove. I would highly recommended her as she was clear in her communication and was very kind and available for questions.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The refund plan they offer is a great deal if you happen to qualify and I can get why so many patients flock to this location. Financial department is a mess to deal with, they always seemed to give different numbers, and on one occasion I had a phone call scheduled with them and they never called me and didn't really offer an explanation/apology. It became very frustrating to deal with them. They from time to time didn't provide me with an accurate representation of what my insurance would cover as I later found out through working with a different clinic.
Initial visit and initial testing were covered though i never made it to the initial testing. I want to say my husband's SA was around 300$. The shared risk cycle would have been 22,500 plus medication and a banking cycle was an additional 7500$ or so plus medication cost. Though to be honest how the financial counselor laid out the expenses was very confusing and she kept giving me different numbers.
eSET was preferred in general, but if you were using a surrogate a double embryo transfer was okay but unadvertised.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don't want to get too into specifics, but in my situation there really was a lot of back and forth and waiting time in creating a specific plan for me. It was very hard to get a clear strategy from my doctors and from the team as they weren't sure if certain things were possible. I was a patient there for about 7 months and never made it to a treatment cycle.
Washington DC

Dr. Nair always made herself available to my questions and concerns. She battled me on issues she felt would optimize my chances at conception but often deferred to my decisions about my own health...The only pharmaceutical intervention I allowed was Levothyroxine to lower my thyroid levels. I am otherwise in very good health. I am not sure the intervention was necessary but I was persuaded to try. The doctors group would not allow my IUI attempt without that intervention although my thyroid levels were normal for a woman not attempting to conceive.
Shady Grove has good equipment and many locations... one front staff member is regularly rude to patients, expressing how clearly she did not want to be there or she did not want you there. That said, the blood draw staff, run by an excellent head nurse, were professional while also friendly. The nursing staff who performed my sedated HCG were disengaged with me as a human being. They tried to rush me out of the center, and I was not yet then able to stand without help.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Nair is knowledgeable, thoughtful, and takes time to listen to your thoughts. She understands the patient has authority over her own body. She was not as well located as I wished. Often I needed to visit the office where she wasn't practicing, but she just can't be at every location.
Explain your concerns. She will listen and try to work with you. She donor have the highest knowledge of holistic alternatives, but she won't shun that conversation. Most important, trust that wants you have a successful conception. Know yourself, educate yourself, and talk to her.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Morgan)
Morgan was the third nurse assigned me. The first quit the group abruptly. The second was rude and pushy and exhibited bullying behavior. I immediately requested a change from the nursing supervisor and Dr. Nair. I was then assigned Morgan. She was far more even keeled and respectful and more than willing to assist.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has good equipment and many locations but there are some staffing challenges that likely relate it's set up as a baby making factory rather than a caring physician's office. In the Shady Grove location, one front staff member is regularly rude to patients, expressing how clearly she did not want to be there or she did not want you there. That said, the blood draw staff, run by an excellent head nurse, were professional while also friendly. The nursing staff who performed my sedated HCG were disengaged with me as a human being. They tried to rush me out of the center, and I was not yet then able to stand without help. Again, the facility is run like a baby-making machine and with machines this large, a few bad pieces will likely get in. I did officially complain about the staff's conduct for the HCG procedure. I was not told what resulting follow up there was but I hope some retraining was done.
I paid approximately $150 for all services including my sedated HCG. Please note I have one of the best insurance plans out there.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
This critique relates to the second nurse assigned me who demanded I start taking a prescription before I would be seen by my doctor. Obviously that was not true. When I demanded a conversation with Dr. Nair she concurred that I could proceed and obviously had access to her as my assigned fertility doctor. I requested a new nurse and was reassigned.
Washington DC

Dr. Devine expressed empathy and spoke clearly to me- she would explain the medical terminology then break it down into more digestible language. She ALWAYS called me back same day and sometimes on weekends. ...I felt that Dr. Devine was most effective in the times that I was struggling, nervous, or unhappy...She isn't a hand holder, so when she gives you information, think carefully about what questions you need to ask to feel comfortable.
I really only have good things to say [about Shady Grove]. The practice runs like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and effective...Alison Loffredo was the best nurse of the three and I also dealt with her during my OHSS so it was a bit more complicated. She explained the test results well - what my results were and what the normal range was...In all of the monitoring appointments for four cycle, I only had one time where I had to wait for a while
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I was under Dr. Devine's care for over a year. At every step she would lay out the plan then we would talk it through. After a surprisingly unsuccessful first IVF, we regrouped and she presented a new plan. When that plan didn't work, I asked if she would ask other SGF doctors what they thought. I thought I was being a little pushy and that she might have felt that I was losing confidence in her. I wasn't, I just wanted a little additional reassurance. She did exactly as I asked and called me to discuss their thoughts as well as her own. When she presented her own opinion, I felt even more confident because she had the input of her colleagues. She was very responsive and supportive, but struck the right balance as my doctor. Even after two failed cycles, she said, "we will keep going and we will get this to work." When I had a successful third cycle that produced 2 genetically normal embryos, I asked for her guidance in whether or not to do another cycle. She gave me really helpful advice and I decided to do another cycle to produce more embryos. I was glad that I did. One of the things I liked most about Dr. Devine is that when I was frustrated, she was frustrated and when I was successful, she felt successful. We worked as a team and I have a high degree of trust in Dr. Devine and the entire practice.
Dr. Devine is direct but nice. She isn't a hand holder, so when she gives you information, think carefully about what questions you need to ask to feel comfortable. She has all the information for you, but you need to be proactive in sharing it and also expressing how you are feeling about the process. Don't be afraid to speak up. I felt that Dr. Devine was most effective in the times that I was struggling, nervous, or unhappy. If you ask for help and guidance, she will absolutely provide it, but she is cautious to not assume what you need from her.
Dr. Devine expressed empathy and spoke clearly to me- she would explain the medical terminology then break it down into more digestible language. She ALWAYS called me back same day and sometimes on weekends. She would occasionally just check in and the one time I needed some reassurance from her, she told me to come in right away. She was responsive and caring, but without being overly emotional or warm. She struck the right balance as my doctor.
Cycle 1- standard protocol, Menopur and Gonal F, Lupron trigger (suggested because my test results were very good). This cycle produced 1 embryo that did not implant. Cycle 2- Lupron microdose flare- suggested for poor responders. Still not a great response, only 1 embryo that did not transfer. Cycle 3- high dose Menopur, Gonal F, and HCG trigger. Worked much better and produced 2 PGS normal embryos, unfortunately, I developed OHSS. Cycle 4- same protocol as #3, slightly lower HCG. Great results. 4 PGS normal embryos.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: I had three: Liz, Alison, Jennifer)
Alison Loffredo was the best nurse of the three and I also dealt with her during my OHSS so it was a bit more complicated. She explained the test results well - what my results were and what the normal range was. While I had the OHSS, she was extremely responsive and checked in with me often.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I really only have good things to say. The practice runs like a well oiled machine. They are efficient and effective.
In all of the monitoring appointments for four cycle, I only had one time where I had to wait for a while and it was on a weekend at 9am, when patient load is heavy. This part is well run.
I was able to squeeze insurance coverage for 3 cycles and paid for one out of pocket ($15,500 for IVF with ICSI and a FET).
Yes, Dr. Devine was very clear that only 1 embryo was appropriate for me given my age. I agreed.

2015 - 2017, Successful
I almost never saw Dr. Widra. He has a protocol and wants no part of answering your questions or making any changes to that protocol for your preferences. He hated that I did research and had my own opinions. There are still questions he hasn't answered that his nurse promised he would call and answer...When i did speak to him about my protocol his answer was simply that is how we do it, when pressed about data i was told they had data i could not see. He had no desire to personalize anything.
Their [Shady Grove] embryologists have tons of experience. I trusted the lab completely. It was always easy to get the time you want for monitoring and generally they had that process down and things moved. The negative is they are not always organized. I received multiple bills for things i had already paid for...Although i had emailed my nurse and financial coordinator the exact paperwork that was needed they still failed to send it in. The result was a LOT of extra stress and work for me. They were very willing to accept the rejection and only agreed to do the appeal when i pushed
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I almost never saw Dr. Widra. He has a protocol and wants no part of answering your questions or making any changes to that protocol for your preferences. He hated that I did research and had my own opinions. There are still questions he hasn't answered that his nurse promised he would call and answer. The one time he did call he only wanted to talk about the good news from our retrieval even though i had been pressing to have a conversation about the transfer protocol. When things when wrong he never cared to discuss why or what could be done differently or to resolve the issue.
If you don't want to understand why decisions are being made or to have any input in your care, or to ever see your doc (which honestly didn't matter to me as long as i got the info i wanted) i suspect he would be a fine choice. But if you want information I would probably choose someone else.
Dr. Widra has no idea anything about my care in the few times i actually interacted with him. When i did speak to him about my protocol his answer was simply that is how we do it, when pressed about data i was told they had data i could not see. He had no desire to personalize anything.
I started with birth control which resulted in a cyst that we spent weeks watching grow (thankfully a PA suggested i push for a trigger shot to get rid of it!). After that i was on gonal-f 225 and 1 vial of menopur. After the first monitoring appointment they added cetrotide (1 injection) and doubled the menopur. I stimmed for 14 days (I think) then did a lupron trigger. My progesterone was too high for a fresh transfer so we had to do a freeze all. For the frozen transfer they tried birth control again, it didn't stop me from ovulating, which thankfully happened to coincide with our monitoring appointment and i got the natural-ish cycle i wanted. I did have to do progesterone suppositories (Dr. Widra refused to do the transfer without it and i was willing to give in since it was at least not the PIO injections).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
Carrie was generally good. She was very sweet. She would generally provide information if she had it. My main issue was many questions she didn't have the answer to and the doctor NEVER responded to questions i had that were outside of her knowledge. I did have a major problem with information getting to insurance at the beginning and I'm not sure how much of that was her fault. She generally didn't know me from any other patient. My biggest complaint was when my fresh transfer was canceled (which i was devastated about frustrated they were not interested in why it happened) she multiple times said we are just going back to the original freeze all plan (it was NEVER the plan to do a freeze all - in fact, once the initial insurance fiasco was resolved it was put in as a freeze all, which I was very clear was never my plan).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is a giant clinic which has its pluses and minuses. On the plus side they have a lot of patients, which means their embryologists have tons of experience. I trusted the lab completely. It was always easy to get the time you want for monitoring and generally they had that process down and things moved. The negative is they are not always organized. I received multiple bills for things i had already paid for (which always ended up working out but took time and effort to deal with). If you have insurance expect it to take a LOT of time and expect them to mess up the paperwork (my insurance company said they are notorious for that). For me their mistake resulted in my initially being rejected even though I should have been approved. Thankfully my insurance company had done a great job at the beginning of telling me what they needed so i knew right away something was wrong. Although i had emailed my nurse and financial coordinator the exact paperwork that was needed they still failed to send it in. The result was a LOT of extra stress and work for me. They were very willing to accept the rejection and only agreed to do the appeal when i pushed (thankfully the doctor was never required since my personally sending in the proper paperwork fixed the problem). They then put in for a freeze all even though i had multiple times made very clear i wanted a fresh transfer, which resulted in more stress and delay. They are very willing to accept bad news and very unwilling to look at what went wrong (from insurance to medical issues). You are a number, which for me was ok. There are people that actually care, but it's not most of the people.
You scheduled a generally time (I think they were done in 15 minute increments), you sign in and then it was a first come first serve for bloodwork and ultrasound. It was generally pretty well run and was usually timely (only once was it particularly long - a little over an hour) most times i would be out in under 30 minutes.
I was lucky enough to have insurance coverage so the rate i paid was the rate negotiated by the insurance company.
he suggested a single transfer especially since we were PGS testing but wasn't pushy about it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The biggest issue was with the insurance. Additionally I had a cyst which I think my doctor would still be watching grow had the PA not suggested i push for a trigger shot. My fresh transfer was canceled (which I honestly never got a good answer of why, it felt a lot like they wanted to pad their success rate by making me wait for PGS results).

2015 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Moon is extremely efficient (i.e. brisk in her manner), but she's also extremely thorough and approachable. She shared early on that she went through IVF to conceive her own children, so she's able to empathize. I found her to be warm, friendly, and willing to answer as many questions as I could throw at her....Let her know early on if you're the type of patient who wants to know the nitty-gritty of treatment details, as she tends to only offer information about the very next step unless you request more detail.
Self-pay with Aetna discount. Fresh IVF single cycle with ICSI: $7500. Fresh cycle with ICSI and cryopreservation for PGS: $10,700 (plus $2000 to off-site PGS lab). Additional FET: $1850....Shady Grove is a machine. I thought I would experience this as a downside--it even led me to a different clinic for my initial attempts--but I ended up viewing it as a net positive. They're efficient. They're experienced. They are laden with resources. Every recommendation is stats-driven because they have such a wealth of data available, but I found my doctor willing to tailor my treatment according to my personal history and input. I never felt like I was slipping through the cracks the way I did at my old clinic.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
You're in good hands! Let her know early on if you're the type of patient who wants to know the nitty-gritty of treatment details, as she tends to only offer information about the very next step unless you request more detail.
I appreciate that Dr. Moon treats me like a fellow adult with intelligence and agency over my care. I never felt that she was condescending to me. I also get the impression that she tailors the information provided to her patients according to the amount of detail they desire.
I was "old" (37 at first consult, 40 at treatment) with mixed signs of diminished ovarian reserve. Dr. Moon recommended (and used) an estrogen priming protocol. Still in the stims phase of my first IVF cycle, but so far the response is approximately what she predicted (i.e. not many eggs, but we weren't expecting many).
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kate Philipps)
Kate is so on top of her game! She gets back to me almost instantaneously whenever I have questions or concerns, and she's generally able to anticipate issues before they arise.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove as a practice has so much data at their fingertips because they're a machine. Their recommendations are very specific to your age, prognosis, and history. But they certainly try to minimize the risk of multiples.
2015 - 2017, Unsuccessful
Dr Widra is very business - like and straightforward. He is not warm and fuzzy, but provides ample time and explanation for everything. He i s knowledgeable about his field and talks to help patients understand. He always checked in and checked up on me after procedures or to review results. I did find however, that I wished for some more individuated protocols tailored to my specific situation. Or the willingness to try something new or different.
I mostly went to the K street office of Shady Grove Fertility. The front desk staff, nurses who take blood and ultrasound technicians were amazing. They are so friendly, nice, gentle, and caring. I sometimes had to wait a while before being seen since the office is so busy which is not great, but as people, the staff is fantastic...Kristal was amazing. She always called promptly with results, was caring, and compassionate and provided accurate information in a timely manner. Kristal then left the practice and I was assigned Myasia Reliford who was good, but not quite as thorough or talkative/compassionate as Kristal.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Feel free to push back and suggest other options if you have them. Know that you are going to get straightforward treatment and respect, but not warm fuzzy hugs from Widra.
Dr Widra and the staff are very nice and try to make appointments and conversations as comfortable as possible. However, I did find that the actual protocols were less tailored to me as a person and that they do the same for everyone. I like that Dr Widra is straightforward.
We started with IUI using Clomid, then added a Gonadotropin, then Ovidrel trigger. None of 5 times I tried the IUI worked. Then for my first attempt at IVF, we did an Antagonist Vivelle Protocol with Vivelle, Cetrotide, and Gonadotropin. Towards the end of the protocol, we were not seeing many eggs being produced so we changed the IVF to an IUI cycle which was unsuccessful. For the next cycle, I did a low dose minimal stimulation protocol with Letrozole, Cetrotide, and Menopur. This also resulted in only 2 eggs being produced. Both fertilized and we implanted both embryos. We did not test these as Widra said there were no options, so no need to test. This cycle resulted in a chemical pregnancy that quickly failed. For the final IVF cycle, I did the same low dose minimal stimulation protocol and only had two eggs, and only was was able to be retrieved. The egg fertilized, was implanted, but resulted in a negative pregnancy test. The rationale for using the low dose stimulation was that with the converted IVF cycle I had taken more medications and it hadnt produced more eggs.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristal Lewis)
All in all, the costs were about $10,000
Washington DC
We did not directly speak with Dr. Devine for about 2 months when starting the IUI process. We were assigned a nurse coordinator who would handle our questions and act as a liaison. I would come in frequently for monitoring and be seen by different technicians and nurses each time. There were many women lined up outside the clinic each morning waiting to be cycled through for blood work and ultrasounds. There were times when I just wanted to speak with the doctor directly because I didn't feel the nurse our technicians really knew me individually. I will say though that by the third cycle of IUI, Dr. Devine did a better job of calling me directly to discuss the results and options.
We just had a lot of times that we weren't sure what we were supposed to do next. And the decision was left to us and we didn't know what the best decision was and there was no one to talk it through on the weekend...We originally had a nurse coordinator [at Shady Grove], Allison, who responded to emails but never checked in on me after procedure or test results on her own. She eventually moved to another clinic and was no longer our coordinator, but she never emailed to tell us so much. We found out from Dr. Devine after the fact. Our new nurse was the same way in that she never reached out to check on me on her own. During our third cycle, it was over a weekend, and I didn't know what to do as far as refill the FSH medication again or not. It is expensive and I didn't want to do it if not necessary but I would absolutely do it if it would help. I was told, I could do it if I wanted to. There was no one to talk to since it was the weekend and it was so incredible stressful. I spoke with one nurse who was on call and she was very comforting but didn't have a great answer for me either. The whole day was filled with waiting for a phone call about the results of my monitoring that morning and stressing over whether or not to refill the prescriptions before the pharmacy closed. I emailed both Allison and Jennifer hoping for some guidance. I understand that they do not work on the weekend and so that's why I didn't hear back, but I also never heard from anyone on Monday or ever after that just to check in and see how it all turned out. Or just to say I'm sorry that was so stressful and we'll be in touch with next steps.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I do feel that Dr. Devine is a good person. I just felt like there were maybe so many patients that I couldn't get the individualized care that I was hoping for. I had to be my own advocate. The first round of IUI was a fire drill. I came in for day 12 monitoring as scheduled and we realized we needed to quick give myself the trigger shot and come back for IUI the next morning. For the second cycle, I was asked to come in on day 12 again. I requested to come in on day 9 since it seemed I ovulate sooner than most people. They said okay and on day 9 I was ready for my trigger shot and were able to follow the typical schedule better by having a day between the trigger and the IUI. In addition, I also felt I had to be the one to ask questions about "is this the right medication for me?" The first round I took Clomid which produced multiple follicles, but thinned my lining. The second round the nurse did not mention anything would be different and I had to say that I did not want to do the exact same thing as it did not work well the first time. Dr. Devine may have already been thinking she would change the medicine too but this was not communicated to me and I had to make that request. The third round of IUI, I had to request again to come in even earlier. The plan was to give additional shots to help follicle growth if needed. I was asked to come in on day 8. Since previously I was ready to ovulate on day 9, I had to request to come in on day 6 so that we had time to give the shots if needed. It seemed like common sense to me (and all the monitoring was included in our price), but it felt like I was not be treated individually based on my previous responses to the medications and IUI. I felt frustrated a lot of times that I needed to be the one to raise questions and change the course rather than the experts helping guide me through the best course for me.
Ask questions and request frequent communication with Dr. Devine. She eventually responded well to this and had better communication with us towards the end of our 3 months.
As previously mentioned, my first round of IUI was using Clomid. It produced multiple follicles but it thinned my lining and resulted in a negative pregnancy test. There was a standard protocol for all rounds of IUI, which was ultrasound on day 3, medication day 3-8, and monitoring day 12, with usually IUI day 14. Because I seemed to ovulate early, I had to request to come in earlier than the protocol recommended. I also eventually (3rd IUI cycle) had to begin medication on day 2. For my second cycle I was switched to Letrozole. For my third cycle, I continued with the same dose of Letrozole, but gave myself FSH injections multiple times while being monitored each day. Both the second and third cycles of IUI resulted in only one follicle for ovulation and both resulted in a negative pregnancy test.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alliosn Lofferdo and Jennifer Wood)
We originally had a nurse coordinator, Allison, who responded to emails but never checked in on me after procedure or test results on her own. She eventually moved to another clinic and was no longer our coordinator, but she never emailed to tell us so much. We found out from Dr. Devine after the fact. Our new nurse was the same way in that she never reached out to check on me on her own. During our third cycle, it was over a weekend, and I didn't know what to do as far as refill the FSH medication again or not. It is expensive and I didn't want to do it if not necessary but I would absolutely do it if it would help. I was told, I could do it if I wanted to. There was no one to talk to since it was the weekend and it was so incredible stressful. I spoke with one nurse who was on call and she was very comforting but didn't have a great answer for me either. The whole day was filled with waiting for a phone call about the results of my monitoring that morning and stressing over whether or not to refill the prescriptions before the pharmacy closed. I emailed both Allison and Jennifer hoping for some guidance. I understand that they do not work on the weekend and so that's why I didn't hear back, but I also never heard from anyone on Monday or ever after that just to check in and see how it all turned out. Or just to say I'm sorry that was so stressful and we'll be in touch with next steps.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They are a clean facility with friendly front desk staff. They can get you in and out in the morning which is nice when you're trying to get to work. The weakness is that you don't particularly feel connected to anyone and when you have questions you may not have access to someone who can answer them. There is a MD on call, however you will be charged if you use them and its not an emergency.
$1800 for each IUI cycle + $50-150 for medications
I know that Dr. Devine preferred single embryo transfer to reduce the risk of multiples and the complications that can occur with multiple births (prematurity, CLD, etc.)

Egg Freezing With Other Docs
She [Dr. Anitha Nair] was extremely honest and candid. We appreciated that she didn't "water down" the explanations of treatment. When things did not work out with our first transfer she was quick to recommend a more aggressive protocol that resulted in a pregnancy and live birth. Once we were pregnant she was very kind, keeping us as a patient as long as she was allowed and having us come in for several early scans to reassure us the pregnancy was progressing well.
Shady Grove is what I assume all clinics are like when you are undergoing elective and extremely profitable medical procedures-cold and focused on payment. Their financial services staff was extremely frustrating. They were unable to answer basic questions and would often tell us contridictorary things. It's the doctors and nurses that make the treatment process survivable...Our primary nurse was extremely positive and good with answering followup questions via email. The nurses that administered our clinical care (blood tests primarily) were wonderful. They made a real effort to get to know us and we're kind and positive throughout the long months we spent visiting them nearly daily.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was extremely honest and candid. We appreciated that she didn't "water down" the explanations of treatment. When things did not work out with our first transfer she was quick to recommend a more aggressive protocol that resulted in a pregnancy and live birth. Once we were pregnant she was very kind, keeping us as a patient as long as she was allowed and having us come in for several early scans to reassure us the pregnancy was progressing well.
Make sure you like working with your assigned nurse, or request a transfer.
She went above and beyond to call me and answer questions even outside of office hours.
We were dealing with a specific issue-a balanced translocation-so the protocol was more straight forward then in cases where you don't know why you aren't getting pregnant. For our embryo transfers, after the first one didn't work Dr Nair recommended an endometrial biopsy which helped us diagnose a mild infection that could be treated and led to a more favorable environment for our second (successful) transfer.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Albano )
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Most of our procedures were covered by insurance. Genetic testing was around $8000 out of pocket and embryo freezing and storage was $3000 plus $500/year.
I'm glad that Dr. Nair recommended a single transfer. She clearly explained that especially since we were using genetically tested and therefore competent embryos, the research has shown that either both embryos or neither embryos will stick. We did not want to risk the complications of twins.

2012 - 2016, Successful
We started straight with IVF - due to my age at the time (42) we agreed not to 'waste' time IUI. I did one egg retrieval- we transferred 3- negative pregnancy test with none viable remaining to freeze. We then met with him to discuss next steps- he said we could try another round of egg retrieval- but given my age and odds- we decided to go to donor eggs. We had 9 embryos- did one transfer and Imiscarried at 6.5 weeks, then we did another transfer which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. The next transfer we transferred 2 embryos which resulted in a chemical pregnancy. We then did PGD on remaining 5 embryos since Dr. Widra felt the results seemed unlikely- came back that only one was chromosomally normal. We were scheduled for another transfer but the morning of the transfer it was cancelled bec. embryo did not survive the thaw. we then discussed options I had adenomyosis? in my uterus that were detected before my first cycle- we retested to see if it got bigger- it did. We talked about options- surgery, try again without surgery and we decided most likely scenario for live birth is gestational carrier. moved forward with new donor and gestational carrier.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra was kind and direct, responsive. Sometimes hard to book appointments due to his busy schedule. He made himself available when there were urgent situations where we needed to be in touch. we would definitely recommend him.
He is factual and clear- if you need a lot of hand holding and warm and fuzzy he may not be who you want (although he is definitely warm and kind).
He is kind but direct
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They were very responsive and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I liked the sibley location because it was quiet and not overwhelming.
it was a lot
With my eggs- we transferred three embryos given my age. With donor eggs we transferred one because of his urging- but he allowed two when we weren't getting pregnant. Given costs and complication with gestational carrier he allowed us to transfer two embryos.

2015 - 2016, Unknown Success
She [Dr Anitha Nair] was very helpful in helping us decide how to move forward. We only spoke with her during the planning stages, however. Not during the treatments or between IUIs. But, the staff was so responsive, there wasn't really a need to reach out to her...Dr. Nair was very thorough with her explanations and allowed me to ask as many questions as possible. She was warm and easy to talk to, but also made sure I understood the reality of the situation, as I was not getting younger, and we had been trying for several years.
Although I was assigned a nurse [at Shady Grove Fertility], she left the clinic and I wasn't told right away. I was assigned another nurse, and the same thing happened. My current nurse has been helpful, but sometimes take a little too long to answer emails. And I have not met her in person...The clinic has the process down pat. It is extremely efficient and that is great when you still have a full time job. They are timely with getting your results, and overall very friendly. I honestly cannot think of any weaknesses at this time.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was very helpful in helping us decide how to move forward. We only spoke with her during the planning stages, however. Not during the treatments or between IUIs. But, the staff was so responsive, there wasn't really a need to reach out to her.
Do your own homework and ask all the questions you need.
For my first IUI, we did 50mg Clomid days 3-7, then a blue pill to help with thickening the lining that we started on day 13 and continued until a negative pregnancy test. I also too progesterone the day after the IUI until a negative pregnancy test. For the first IUI, I also did a trigger shot. The second IUI we upped it to 100mg Clomid, no blue pill needed, no trigger needed (surged on my own), and am taking progesterone.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
Although I was assigned a nurse, she left the clinic and I wasn't told right away. I was assigned another nurse, and the same thing happened. My current nurse has been helpful, but sometimes take a little too long to answer emails. And I have not met her in person.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance did not cover anything, except some of the medications. Each IUI cost $1600 and medication cost somewhere between $140 and $200
Washington DC

I was fortunate enough to have quick (3 cycles) success so I didn't have a ton of interaction with Dr. Nair. That being said, she personally came down to the clinic and did my ultrasound (without my asking) and answered my questions when one of my cycles wasn't going according to plan. I was impressed with her knowledge and compassion...Laura was an excellent nurse and answered all of my (many) questions throughout the process. She delivered bad news delicately and good news with excitement. She was very encouraging even when a cycle seemed to be going poorly.
Shady Grove is a big practice but the staff tries to get to know everyone and there tends to be some consistency in who you see for your ultrasounds. The wait times are sometimes long but I always felt I was getting first-rate care and attention...Laura was an excellent nurse and answered all of my (many) questions throughout the process. She delivered bad news delicately and good news with excitement. She was very encouraging even when a cycle seemed to be going poorly.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
The process feels like it takes forever, regardless of how quickly you achieve pregnancy, but trust your doctors and don't be afraid to ask questions.
Dr. Nair, and the nurse that works with her, was always so encouraging and kind. I had a cycle end in a chemical pregnancy during a snow storm and Dr. Nair made a point of calling even though she couldn't make it into the office to see how I was doing and answer my questions.
Because I wasn't ovulating, at least with any regularity, Dr. Nair started me on 50mg of Clomid with an Ovidrel trigger. Follicle growth was monitored by ultrasound. I stopped responding to 50mg after my first cycle so, after a failed round of 50mg, the dosage was increased to 10mg for the second half of my second cycle and for my third (successful) cycle.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laura)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I was very fortunate to have insurance coverage for my treatment, lab work, and medications.

2014 - 2016, Successful
Without past fertility issues, Dr. Nair recommended starting with natural cycle IUIs. She was very willing to let me determine how aggressive I wanted to be, and when to decide to ratchet it up. She gave me the option to reassess the treatment plan after either 3 or 6 cycles. I originally said 6 cycles but after 5 IUIs I was frustrated and asked to add medication. Dr. Nair was supportive, and recommended a Clomid cycle. When that failed, Dr. Nair suggested an injectable cycle with Clomid, While I was willing to throw in the kitchen sink at that point, Dr. Nair was careful to balance my frustration with a careful consideration of avoiding multiples. I really respected that she wasn't just focused on a positive outcome - she was truly committed to the best outcome *for me* and my situation.
Nursing staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] is wonderful. Their communication by email and phone was very dependable and quick, and weekend nursing support was always available. When there was one clerical mix-up about what blood test I was to have (it wasn't clear whether it was a nursing error or lab error), the nurses took responsibility and figured out a plan to move forward.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I loved working with Dr. Nair - she is kind, thoughtful, confident in her recommendations and shows that she takes an individual patient's circumstances into account when recommending treatment.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - Dr. Nair is wonderful at answering them and explaining her treatment plan.
Dr. Nair was clearly invested in my care, as were all of the staff, nurses, and lab technicians. I always felt supported and well cared for. Dr. Nair was so warm and thoughtful in treating me, and her joy at my (eventual!) pregnancy was genuine and quite touching.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather)
Nursing staff is wonderful. Their communication by email and phone was very dependable and quick, and weekend nursing support was always available. When there was one clerical mix-up about what blood test I was to have (it wasn't clear whether it was a nursing error or lab error), the nurses took responsibility and figured out a plan to move forward.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This clinic is the largest one in the DC area. I was a bit wary that it would feel like a factory given its size, but I found the clinic to be very well run, efficient, and caring. The front desk staff and lab technicians quickly came to know me by name, and I always felt like I was in good hands. Although I never made it to IVF, I was impressed by the size and quality of the embryology lab compared to others in the area, and their cutting edge research and adapting protocols.
My insurance covered the fertility treatments, although my insurance plan changed throughout the treatment. On average, my IUI costs ranged from $200 to $400 per cycle, not including drugs or donor sperm.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There was one mix-up when the wrong blood test was performed (a beta HCG rather than mid-cycle LH/E2). It was never clear whether this was a nursing error or lab error. In any event, the clinic owned the mistake and offered compensation for the test. It ultimately had no bearing on my cycle.

2015, Unsuccessful
Dr. Moon overall was a nice lady. I am a nurse and understood many of the things that were going on but my husband did not and he always felt dismissed. I saw her on my initial consultation and one other time. She did take time to come and give me an ultrasound while the regular staff was at lunch and I was having a miscarriage. Other than that she never performed one procedure. I saw a variety of other dr's. She did call after my miscarriage and I explained to her a complacation that I was having and she brushed me off. I had to be seen at an urgent care. She never even called after my failed transfer
They [Shady Grove] arw good at making appointments that work for you. The phlebotomist are super nice and they are the only ones who remember your name. The receptionist are very rude and unprofessional... I signed up for a certain type of plan where you pay for so many and if they arw unsuccessful then you get reimbursed. I should have had like 6 treatments. After the first one they started sending me bills for every little thing. When I inquired about it they claim that that was not what plan I was under and that I was a pay as you go pt. Meanwhile I provide them with all of the correspondance with my financial guy and got no where. They would not budge.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask a lot of questions ans do not expect much
Many times when I would go in for my blood draws or scans there was only standing room because there were so many patients. It was very impersonal. Everyone there is nervous and scared and possibly desperate and they just chat about whats for lunch and what they did for the weekend. Very insensitive.
I did a round of drugs for egg retrieval (injections, pills and vaginal suppository). Had a "practice" egg insertion, the actually incantation and then a frozen transfer. During the frozen cycle I participated in a clinical trial.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Wood)
Jennifer was very organized but she would mainly communicate via email. If you called you would never get an answer. When I was actively going through a miscarriage she never once said sorry or showed any sympathy she only told me to calm down
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
They arw good at making appointments that work for you. The phlebotomist are super nice and they are the only ones who remember your name. The receptionist are very rude and unprofessional
Around $10,000
She only suggested/recommended single transfer
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
When I had my miscarriage, I passes the fetus at home and was told to bring it in when I arrived for my D&C. I was asked if I would like to have genetic testing done and I did. They did not send the fetus along with the other tissue and I got a bill for $600. I was not informed of the cost of the test and they lost the critical portion of the specimen so I got no actual results. Second: I signed up for a certain type of plan where you pay for so many and if they arw unsuccessful then you get reimbursed. I should have had like 6 treatments. After the first one they started sending me bills for every little thing. When I inquired about it they claim that that was not what plan I was under and that I was a pay as you go pt. Meanwhile I provide them with all of the correspondance with my financial guy and got no where. They would not budge.

2015, Successful
I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well... I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently... thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant.
Call backs [at Shady Grove] were generally very late. It was nerve-wracking, because often you wouldn't get a call back until after phone lines closed - which made it difficult if you didn't get one to get ahold of someone...Nurses were hit or miss. Staff as a whole was a bit hit or miss, though more good than bad. Appreciated the splitting of blood draws from general nurses (keeping it with people who knew what they were doing). I'd describe things as generally efficient, and well run, on the nursing side.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I'm a fan - I imagine success has something to do with it, but the overall experience was good. I knew by the time I got to Dr. Moon that I was going to struggle conceiving, and that it wasn't for any identifiable reason. That helped temper my expectations I think. I thought she was reasonably realistic (given my numbers that gave no reason to think my results should be abysmal), and confident without being arrogant. I know I asked lots of questions at times, and all were answered patiently.
Shady Grove is a bit of a factory, yes, but I felt like Dr. Moon individually took sufficient time to meet with me, answer my questions, go over my past history (and abysmal results) and talk about options. She personally called with the information on transfer day, which I greatly appreciated. She was great during appointments as well.
Standard antagonist protocol - BCP followed by FSH, menopur and then cetrotide I think. Attempting to keep growth slow but steady, and keep all follicles in range. Aiming for fewer high quality follicles (as someone who could produce a fair number, but of poor quality). Standard trigger criteria, but we held off a day or two based on history, so things were slightly larger. On my FET, it was medicated, so BCP and then something (can't recall).
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the strength is in the solid lab, significant experience and range of doctors to choose from. They do seem to use standard protocols, but that was fine. I'm not crazy about the BCP use, but it's a must - there's not a lot of flexibility in that area. I was able to get some concessions on some policies by getting Dr. Moon on board, and it was frustrating to have to do so. The standard weekend hours and multiple locations was good - no worrying about timing there. They generally had a range of appointments available, though weekends could be hit or miss. Some things were very standardized which generally helped it run smoothly. But there were times things backed up, with waits of 45+ minutes. The financial people may have changed in the past 2 years, but that was the worst/most maddening part. It may be less so if you're not using insurance, but I had to do a significant amount of leg work on running down pre-authorizations and getting statuses and poking and prodding. It was incredibly frustrating, and I would say that's the part that is most off putting about the clinic.
Insurance covered in large part, so I don't recall.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Call backs were generally very late. It was nerve-wracking, because often you wouldn't get a call back until after phone lines closed - which made it difficult if you didn't get one to get ahold of someone. I only failed to get a call back once, on a weekend - but I was able to get the information I needed via the answering service process. But there were days it was late enough I was wondering whether I'd been missed.

2015, Successful
She [Dr Anitha Nair] never rushed us through explanations and treated us with compassion. She scheduled an extra ultrasound at 9-10 weeks during her limited free time, even though "officially" I was ready to be passed off to my normal OBGYN at that point. That assuaged many of my fears at the time.
People complained to me that the Office [Shady Grove Fertility - K Street] felt like a cattle call during the morning blood draws, but whenever I would go (including first thing in a.m.), I was usually the only one there, or one of maybe 2-3 patients. So I always zipped in and out and had personal attention...Other people seemed to have a much stronger personal relationship communicating daily/directly with their nurses. Mine was more neutral/less responsive.
She never rushed us through explanations and treated us with compassion. She scheduled an extra ultrasound at 9-10 weeks during her limited free time, even though "officially" I was ready to be passed off to my normal OBGYN at that point. That assuaged many of my fears at the time.
We were prepared to begin IVF with PGD but became pregnant (again) -- naturally -- just before that cycle would have started. We did one last round of testing based on some new information I had researched relating to the MTHFR genetic mutation. Turned out I had such a mutation and I was put on a prescription folate ASAP (worrisome, because I was already a tiny bit pregnant when I started the folate and didn't know if we had discovered the problem fast enough). I also used progesterone suppositories (as I had under my OBGYN for my prior two miscarriages) during the first trimester. I had weekly ultrasounds and blood work to confirm the advancing pregnancy.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
People complained to me that the Office felt like a cattle call during the morning blood draws, but whenever I would go (including first thing in a.m.), I was usually the only one there, or one of maybe 2-3 patients. So I always zipped in and out and had personal attention.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Timing was unfortunate -- I was scheduled for my HSG during Christmas/New Years when the Office was closed. So I had to go to a different outside Radiological center and SGF failed to send over my paperwork/referral info; my husband had to literally run next door (both offices were on K Street) and hand deliver my paperwork before I could begin my procedure. That was nervewracking and unexpected.

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care. Also, Dr. Widra never cancelled one of my cycles. Even if it looked like I might be maturing too many follicles (during timed intercourse cycles), Dr. Widra would adjust the medications and I was able to trigger with every cycle. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Dr. Widra and Shady Grove...
Shady Grove is professional, on-the-ball, reassuring, and staffed with very competent and caring staff members. I cannot say enough about the faith I had in everyone that I encountered. The only negative that I think some people might have is that it is a bigger clinic and so could feel like a cattle call. But I think that's an asset, as it means they have seen and dealt with everything before and perhaps even that same day!...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went through 9 cycles of various treatments with Dr. Widra (the last two of which resulted in ongoing pregnancies spaced two years apart). During my 7th cycle, I had an ectopic pregnancy that eventually ended up rupturing (not the fault of Dr. Widra or Shady Grove fertility). Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care. Also, Dr. Widra never cancelled one of my cycles. Even if it looked like I might be maturing too many follicles (during timed intercourse cycles), Dr. Widra would adjust the medications and I was able to trigger with every cycle. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Dr. Widra and Shady Grove.
It can take some time to get an appointment with Dr. Widra, so if you want to start treatment in May, think about calling for a May appointment in Feb or March. In my experience, thought, this was only true for initial appointments; once I was undergoing treatment, I had appointments with Dr. Widra that we scheduled only a week or two out.
I went through 9 cycles of various treatments with Dr. Widra. During my 7th cycle, I had an ectopic pregnancy that eventually ended up rupturing (not the fault of Dr. Widra or Shady Grove fertility). Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care.
My treatment for my first child was primarily dictated by the requirements of my insurance company (which provided coverage for IVF, but only if I tried a certain number of timed intercourse and IUI cycles first). But within those requirements, Dr. Widra first had me go through 2 cycles of timed intercourse with clomid and progesterone suppositories, and then switched me to injectibles (Bravelle) and progesterone suppositories when I had vision issues with clomid (I wasn't taking a high dose). Then I went through 4 cycles of timed intercourse with injectibles to fulfill my insurance requirements, and an IUI cycle with injectibles (Bravelle) and progesterone suppositories again to fulfill insurance requirements. The IUI resulted in an ectopic pregnancy that Shady Grove quickly treated, but still ended up rupturing and requiring emergency surgery. After that point, I was finally allowed to proceed to IVF, which produced two 5-day blasts (using Bravelle, menopur, HGH, estradiol, and endometrin) . One was using during that first cycle (and resulted in my son) and the other was frozen for future use. I did end up with over-stimulated ovaries, but I don't think this was the result of Dr. Widra being too aggressive with treatment (as I didn't end up with dozens of retrieved eggs), but is just something that happened. Shady Grove treated me with a blood thinner and an outpatient procedure to drain fluid. A year after my son was born, I went through a frozen embryo transfer with Dr. Widra using the embryo that was produced during my previous IVF cycle (as well as a combination of endometrin, PIO injections, and estradiol injections). This cycle was also successful and (fingers crossed) my daughter will be born in May 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie Andrews)
I can not say enough good things about my nurses at Shady Grove (Carrie Andrews and before her Sarah Evans). So on top of things, organized, caring....they both had all of the qualities that you would want in a nurse and never, ever let me down. And in the case of Sarah, we worked together for 8 cycles over 1.5 years and I threw so many issues at her, and she always responded quickly and thoughtfully. I only worked with Carrie for 1 (successful) cycle, but she also displayed these same qualities, which I am sure would have continued had I needed additional treatments or cycles.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
8 (including one IUI and one IVF) of my 9 cycles were covered by insurance, and I never had any cost or billing issues. My 9th cycle was paid out-of-pocket, but the fees were fair for the procedure and I was able to participate in a research study that lowered my costs (without degrading my care)

2015, Successful
Dr. Nair was compassionate and patient with me and my husband. She also made exceptional medical diagnoses, and whenever our path changed, she fully explained her reasoning to me. I felt like she was our partner in this journey, and she truly wanted us to achieve a healthy pregnancy...I kind of felt that all the focus was on getting me pregnant, not on keeping me pregnant. I would recommend patients always do their own research and be their own advocate to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.
[Shady Grove - Washington DC's] Strengths - Best front desk staff, great monitoring hours, very organized, very compassionate. Mostly kept appointments on time. Good success statistics, and an ideal result for me. Weaknesses - sometimes ran very late for morning monitoring. So many women doing IVF at the same time! Always saw a different doctor for monitoring appointments -- somewhat stressful, but you get used to it.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be open to things changing as you progress. Trust Dr. Nair and SGF, but ask lots of questions so you still feel like you understand what is going on and why.
She and all the other doctors at SGF took plenty of time to educate me and my husband and were open and warm at each appointment. I rarely felt rushed, I was always able to ask my questions, and I was always given an honest response with realistic expectations.
Menupur (started at 75, ended at 225) Gonal F (started at 150, ended at 225) 6 mornings of Cetrotide .25 HCG trigger 10,000 after 13 days of stimulation Then endometrin and estrogen after transfer. 11 mature eggs (mostly from lef tovary because right was damaged following previous ectopic surgery). 8 eggs fertilized 2 morula embryos transferred on day 5 -- neither had made it to blastocyst 1 blastocyst to freeze on Day 6
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had two separate nurses (was transferred halfway through), and both were great, although they seemed very busy. It was wonderful to communicate via email and phone, and they were both very clear with what, if any, changes needed to be made each day. I asked a lot of questions, and sometimes I felt like I was annoying them, but I always got the info I needed in the end.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered a nice portion of the cycle and injections for me. My total came out to about $7,500 (including egg freezing).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
After my positive pregnancy tests, Dr. Nair should have ordered thyroid blood work for me, as good levels are critical to maintaining a successful pregnancy. I had to request this, and by that time, my levels were already through the roof. Luckily, I did not miscarry, but I kind of felt that all the focus was on getting me pregnant, not on keeping me pregnant. I would recommend patients always do their own research and be their own advocate to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
Donor Eggs With Other Docs
Surrogacy With Other Docs
She [Dr. Barbara Osborn] is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done...Ask whatever questions you have. It's difficult to get a hold of her and most other doctors at most clinics by phone. When they do call back, it could be when you're in a meeting or otherwise unavailable. Not many doctors will give out their direct phone number.
I rate the Nursing staff low. I rate dr Osborn high because of her bedside manner and interest in answering questions. I rate the administrative staff very low. Some are nasty. Most are unfriendly. You have to advocate for what you want/need and sometimes demand it from the administrative staff. In my case, I had to hold Shady Grove accountable for their responsibility in a contract and they were trying not to do it.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She has a good bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on heavy doses to build up my uterine lining. I was on injectible lovenox as a blood thinner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pennye Russell)
In general, most nurses at shady grove were pressed for time, didn't like to answer questions, were not authorized to answer certain questions and weren't compassionate in my opinion.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
About $50,000
Describe Barbara Osborn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
One problem I had with shady grove is that they would only do eSet and frowned upon double embryo transfers. I'm not sure if I would have been successful by doing double transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On several occasions, it was up to me to call in you find out test results.
Barbara Osborn
2012 - 2015, Successful
When I met with Nair, she always spoke honestly but kindly. She clearly had reviewed my records before our meetings so we didn't need to explain things again. She always called after a failed cycle and was incredibly kind after a chemical pregnancy/missed carriage. She also left surgery to come down for our first ultrasound after our positive pregnancy test.
My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful... Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting...
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I didn't find anything at fault with Nair. She always made sure we had appropriate information and we never left the office without either speaking with a financial person or nurse to answer any additional questions.
None.
We did 3 IUI's even though they didn't work. It was frustrating but our insurance required it. The clinic was participating in a medical study that required less injections but we did not participate, though the early results seemed promising.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather Glass)
I had several primary nurses during my tenure at Shady Grove; some were better than others. I had one, who is no longer there, who did not like to communicate over email. Giving my busy schedule, email was much better than phone. My suggestion would be to establish which method you prefered communication when first meeting with your nurse coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting; this is all very normal, well managed, and well understood.
My IUI and egg retrieval were covered by insurance. My FET's were not. Shady Grove has self-pay costs. Each FET was approximately $4000 plus cost of medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
1 - My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful. 2 - There was an active shooter near a clinic on a day I was scheduled for blood work and ultrasound. This resulted in the clinic closing. No information was provided to patients; the voicemail at the clinic was not even updated. I was not informed of what I needed to do until noon that day, which is after the clinics stop monitoring. I spoke to someone at the head office about lack of emergency preparedness and was not provided a satisfactory answer. For example, all retrievals and transfers are done in the Rockville office and I asked for plans if that office is closed. The response was simply, " we would never close that office."