6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

2012 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care. Also, Dr. Widra never cancelled one of my cycles. Even if it looked like I might be maturing too many follicles (during timed intercourse cycles), Dr. Widra would adjust the medications and I was able to trigger with every cycle. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Dr. Widra and Shady Grove...
Shady Grove is professional, on-the-ball, reassuring, and staffed with very competent and caring staff members. I cannot say enough about the faith I had in everyone that I encountered. The only negative that I think some people might have is that it is a bigger clinic and so could feel like a cattle call. But I think that's an asset, as it means they have seen and dealt with everything before and perhaps even that same day!...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went through 9 cycles of various treatments with Dr. Widra (the last two of which resulted in ongoing pregnancies spaced two years apart). During my 7th cycle, I had an ectopic pregnancy that eventually ended up rupturing (not the fault of Dr. Widra or Shady Grove fertility). Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care. Also, Dr. Widra never cancelled one of my cycles. Even if it looked like I might be maturing too many follicles (during timed intercourse cycles), Dr. Widra would adjust the medications and I was able to trigger with every cycle. I can't say enough good things about my experience with Dr. Widra and Shady Grove.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
It can take some time to get an appointment with Dr. Widra, so if you want to start treatment in May, think about calling for a May appointment in Feb or March. In my experience, thought, this was only true for initial appointments; once I was undergoing treatment, I had appointments with Dr. Widra that we scheduled only a week or two out.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I went through 9 cycles of various treatments with Dr. Widra. During my 7th cycle, I had an ectopic pregnancy that eventually ended up rupturing (not the fault of Dr. Widra or Shady Grove fertility). Dr. Widra called me from out-of-town to express his disappointment about the ectopic pregnancy and then called me again when he learned that I had emergency surgery to deal with the ruptured ectopic. That really impressed me. Additionally, Dr. Widra always treated me well and like a human during office appointments and monitoring appointments. I never felt like he didn't care.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
My treatment for my first child was primarily dictated by the requirements of my insurance company (which provided coverage for IVF, but only if I tried a certain number of timed intercourse and IUI cycles first). But within those requirements, Dr. Widra first had me go through 2 cycles of timed intercourse with clomid and progesterone suppositories, and then switched me to injectibles (Bravelle) and progesterone suppositories when I had vision issues with clomid (I wasn't taking a high dose). Then I went through 4 cycles of timed intercourse with injectibles to fulfill my insurance requirements, and an IUI cycle with injectibles (Bravelle) and progesterone suppositories again to fulfill insurance requirements. The IUI resulted in an ectopic pregnancy that Shady Grove quickly treated, but still ended up rupturing and requiring emergency surgery. After that point, I was finally allowed to proceed to IVF, which produced two 5-day blasts (using Bravelle, menopur, HGH, estradiol, and endometrin) . One was using during that first cycle (and resulted in my son) and the other was frozen for future use. I did end up with over-stimulated ovaries, but I don't think this was the result of Dr. Widra being too aggressive with treatment (as I didn't end up with dozens of retrieved eggs), but is just something that happened. Shady Grove treated me with a blood thinner and an outpatient procedure to drain fluid. A year after my son was born, I went through a frozen embryo transfer with Dr. Widra using the embryo that was produced during my previous IVF cycle (as well as a combination of endometrin, PIO injections, and estradiol injections). This cycle was also successful and (fingers crossed) my daughter will be born in May 2016.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie Andrews)
I can not say enough good things about my nurses at Shady Grove (Carrie Andrews and before her Sarah Evans). So on top of things, organized, caring....they both had all of the qualities that you would want in a nurse and never, ever let me down. And in the case of Sarah, we worked together for 8 cycles over 1.5 years and I threw so many issues at her, and she always responded quickly and thoughtfully. I only worked with Carrie for 1 (successful) cycle, but she also displayed these same qualities, which I am sure would have continued had I needed additional treatments or cycles.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
8 (including one IUI and one IVF) of my 9 cycles were covered by insurance, and I never had any cost or billing issues. My 9th cycle was paid out-of-pocket, but the fees were fair for the procedure and I was able to participate in a research study that lowered my costs (without degrading my care)

2015, Successful
Dr. Nair was compassionate and patient with me and my husband. She also made exceptional medical diagnoses, and whenever our path changed, she fully explained her reasoning to me. I felt like she was our partner in this journey, and she truly wanted us to achieve a healthy pregnancy...I kind of felt that all the focus was on getting me pregnant, not on keeping me pregnant. I would recommend patients always do their own research and be their own advocate to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.
[Shady Grove - Washington DC's] Strengths - Best front desk staff, great monitoring hours, very organized, very compassionate. Mostly kept appointments on time. Good success statistics, and an ideal result for me. Weaknesses - sometimes ran very late for morning monitoring. So many women doing IVF at the same time! Always saw a different doctor for monitoring appointments -- somewhat stressful, but you get used to it.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be open to things changing as you progress. Trust Dr. Nair and SGF, but ask lots of questions so you still feel like you understand what is going on and why.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She and all the other doctors at SGF took plenty of time to educate me and my husband and were open and warm at each appointment. I rarely felt rushed, I was always able to ask my questions, and I was always given an honest response with realistic expectations.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Menupur (started at 75, ended at 225) Gonal F (started at 150, ended at 225) 6 mornings of Cetrotide .25 HCG trigger 10,000 after 13 days of stimulation Then endometrin and estrogen after transfer. 11 mature eggs (mostly from lef tovary because right was damaged following previous ectopic surgery). 8 eggs fertilized 2 morula embryos transferred on day 5 -- neither had made it to blastocyst 1 blastocyst to freeze on Day 6
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had two separate nurses (was transferred halfway through), and both were great, although they seemed very busy. It was wonderful to communicate via email and phone, and they were both very clear with what, if any, changes needed to be made each day. I asked a lot of questions, and sometimes I felt like I was annoying them, but I always got the info I needed in the end.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
Insurance covered a nice portion of the cycle and injections for me. My total came out to about $7,500 (including egg freezing).
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
After my positive pregnancy tests, Dr. Nair should have ordered thyroid blood work for me, as good levels are critical to maintaining a successful pregnancy. I had to request this, and by that time, my levels were already through the roof. Luckily, I did not miscarry, but I kind of felt that all the focus was on getting me pregnant, not on keeping me pregnant. I would recommend patients always do their own research and be their own advocate to make sure nothing falls through the cracks.
2014 - 2015, Unsuccessful
She [Dr. Barbara Osborn] is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done...Ask whatever questions you have. It's difficult to get a hold of her and most other doctors at most clinics by phone. When they do call back, it could be when you're in a meeting or otherwise unavailable. Not many doctors will give out their direct phone number.
I rate the Nursing staff low. I rate dr Osborn high because of her bedside manner and interest in answering questions. I rate the administrative staff very low. Some are nasty. Most are unfriendly. You have to advocate for what you want/need and sometimes demand it from the administrative staff. In my case, I had to hold Shady Grove accountable for their responsibility in a contract and they were trying not to do it.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is compassionate. She was also direct in providing answers to my questions. I never felt rushed with her like I did for the other 3 doctors I had worked with. I felt like she made time for me and didn't treat me like a number like other doctors have done.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She has a good bedside manner.
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I was on heavy doses to build up my uterine lining. I was on injectible lovenox as a blood thinner.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Pennye Russell)
In general, most nurses at shady grove were pressed for time, didn't like to answer questions, were not authorized to answer certain questions and weren't compassionate in my opinion.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
About $50,000
Describe Barbara Osborn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
One problem I had with shady grove is that they would only do eSet and frowned upon double embryo transfers. I'm not sure if I would have been successful by doing double transfers.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
On several occasions, it was up to me to call in you find out test results.
2012 - 2015, Successful
When I met with Nair, she always spoke honestly but kindly. She clearly had reviewed my records before our meetings so we didn't need to explain things again. She always called after a failed cycle and was incredibly kind after a chemical pregnancy/missed carriage. She also left surgery to come down for our first ultrasound after our positive pregnancy test.
My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful... Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting...
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
I didn't find anything at fault with Nair. She always made sure we had appropriate information and we never left the office without either speaking with a financial person or nurse to answer any additional questions.
None.
We did 3 IUI's even though they didn't work. It was frustrating but our insurance required it. The clinic was participating in a medical study that required less injections but we did not participate, though the early results seemed promising.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heather Glass)
I had several primary nurses during my tenure at Shady Grove; some were better than others. I had one, who is no longer there, who did not like to communicate over email. Giving my busy schedule, email was much better than phone. My suggestion would be to establish which method you prefered communication when first meeting with your nurse coordinator.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove has multiple clinics in the DC metro area. Testing is very process driven, which I appreciated. I knew exactly what and when things were going to happen and I simply followed that process. Some folks might not appreciate being another cog in the fertility factory but I found it comforting; this is all very normal, well managed, and well understood.
My IUI and egg retrieval were covered by insurance. My FET's were not. Shady Grove has self-pay costs. Each FET was approximately $4000 plus cost of medications.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
1 - My nurse forgot to provide the trigger shot which resulted in less eggs retrieved. I still had plenty but was quite stressful. 2 - There was an active shooter near a clinic on a day I was scheduled for blood work and ultrasound. This resulted in the clinic closing. No information was provided to patients; the voicemail at the clinic was not even updated. I was not informed of what I needed to do until noon that day, which is after the clinics stop monitoring. I spoke to someone at the head office about lack of emergency preparedness and was not provided a satisfactory answer. For example, all retrievals and transfers are done in the Rockville office and I asked for plans if that office is closed. The response was simply, " we would never close that office."

2013 - 2014, Unsuccessful
He [Dr Widra] is defensive and not open to listening to his patients. The whole time I had to push him to try something different. One cycle I called him a couple of times to let him know I felt the cycle was not going well, and he told me he thought it was going fine. I ended up with only one embryo. The next cycle he increased my meds I got four embryos. If he would have listened during the first cycle then I may not have need a second cycle.
Shady Grove has very convenient offices and flexible hours, which makes it convenient for pursuing fertility. However I think they could do more to customize for patients over 35 by having protocols set up for these patients....You always had to go through a nurse. And I was always having to suggest what should be done next. I should not have to manage the doctor. He should be up to date on research.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He is defensive and not open to listening to his patients. The whole time I had to push him to try something different. One cycle I called him a couple of times to let him know I felt the cycle was not going well, and he told me he thought it was going fine. I ended up with only one embryo. The next cycle he increased my meds I got four embryos. If he would have listened during the first cycle then I may not have need a second cycle.
Do not expect him to be proactive.
IVF and frozen eggs and genetic testing of embryos. He insisted on doing frozen cycles until I pushed him into freezing the eggs and genetic testing of embryos. I did not want to continually go through miscarriages, and I had one previously. Not sure why he would have ever suggested fresh IVF cycle for anyone over 40.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Carrie)
Carrie was a wonderful nurse, but Eric Widra would have her call me instead of talking to me himself. He was reactive and uncomfortable approaching patients.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady grove is fairly efficient with appointments and flexible. They have improved their scheduling and monitoring hours by opening up additional clinics to help with traffic.
All costs at shady grove are fairly uniform across.

2013 - 2014, Successful
Know that even though he's not the warmest and seems very busy/rushed, he does care. Be prepared to have your primary relationship be with the nurses.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra is a matter-of-fact communicator who tries to present a balanced view of options with accompanying benefits and risks. He is not very warm, but he's jovial and seems to care about his patients. Dr. Widra is very very busy, and as his patient, I felt rushed in communicating with him.
They did not get to know me as a human, but they didn't confuse me with other patients. My nurse switched twice over the course of my treatment, and since in Dr. Widra's practice the RNs are the primary points of contact for a patient, those transitions affected my experience.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Laura Appling)
At SGF, the nurses are the primary caregivers. In general, they are good nurses. They are caring and organized. That said, because the nurses are the primary points of contact for patients, any turnover on the nursing team is more challenging for patients than it would be if Dr. Widra managed the relationships on his panel more closely. This was my experience.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Wait times at both of the SGF facilities I visited - K Street and Rockville - were long and unpredictable. K street will not perform IUIs with donor sperm, so I had to go out to the Rockville location every month for that procedure. The earliest available IUI is at 9:30, and it literally never happened at 9:30 even when I had the earliest slot. Most months, I would finish at the clinic around 11, meaning I missed half a day of work. This was frustrating, and it communicated to me that my time was less valuable than theirs. More importantly, though, with fertility issues, I as a patient was very sensitive to making sure that when I did have control of a particular variable, like timing of insemination, I took that seriously. Making a patient wait an undisclosed amount of time for an insemination may not be clinically problematic, but it made me anxious that I was missing "the window" and gave me the sense that SGF cared less about my success than I did.
2014, Successful
Dr. Moon was used to working with SMCs and was recommended to me. She reviewed my file and gave me plenty of time to talk about my history and the potential options at her clinic. I knew what I wanted to do and she was quick to help me figure out next steps and also worked hard to help me determine which donor was the right one for me....She was kind, listened to my story, helped me pick an egg donor, and was very responsive when I had an issue with the RE that handled my transfer....
I think Shady Grove has a high quality lab and has high success due to this. The rest of the operation is large, I felt like a # and they had several major errors during my time there--for example failing to get an ultrasound on my egg donor on her last visit so they had her trigger without all of the necessary info...I had very little experience with the nursing staff due to using DE. The staff who were around during my transfer were fine....The clinic failed to complete the appropriate tests on the Egg Donor. The clinic gave me personal information about the donor which allowed me to know her name. ..
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
I specifically sought out Dr. Moon on the recommendation of others due to the large size of the clinic and the factory feel of the operation. She was kind, listened to my story, helped me pick an egg donor, and was very responsive when I had an issue with the RE that handled my transfer.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I got pregnant on my first DE transfer so I didn't have a rigorous protocol.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think Shady Grove has a high quality lab and has high success due to this. The rest of the operation is large, I felt like a # and they had several major errors during my time there--for example failing to get an ultrasound on my egg donor on her last visit so they had her trigger without all of the necessary info. The RE who handled my transfer was awful and I worried that he purposely botched my transfer due to his attitude. In the end, I luckily got pregnant that cycle and was done with any fertility treatments.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
I chose a guaranteed DE program and it was expensive. I think the cost was $30,500. I've tried to block out the cost but my daughter was well worth the money!
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic strongly prefers eSET for DE.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic failed to complete the appropriate tests on the Egg Donor. The clinic gave me personal information about the donor which allowed me to know her name. The RE who completed my transfer didn't know the quality of all of my specimens and tried to browbeat me into transferring one without the information. In the end, an embryologist was able to provide that information within a few minutes and we proceeded. But I was beyond distraught by the RE's attitude and the lack of embryos from a proven egg donor. My RE, who I had been working with, did respond appropriately when I contacted her with my concerns.
2013 - 2014, Successful
Dr. Widra has a more direct style, though he is still compassionate and sensitive. Also, he does not give out his email address (as some REs do) so all your questions will go through a nurse.
Sometimes [Shady Grove] can feel like a bit of a factory. I felt comfort in that because I knew they had tons of experience...At times, I was given conflicting information about the prices of specific treatment services. Other times, I was not told at all that I would be billed for something.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had very positive experiences with Dr. Widra. He does not have a "warm and fuzzy" personality, but he is still very sensitive. He conveys information and options in a very clear, direct but yet very compassionate way. When we went in for an 8 week sonogram after our first IVF treatment, he found that there had been a miscarriage. He handled the situation extremely well, and made us feel very supported and comforted.
It can be hard to feel a lot of personal attention at Shady Grove. Shady Grove is a huge practice. I believe I read somewhere they do more IVF procedures than anywhere in the country. So sometimes it can feel like a bit of a factory. I felt comfort in that because I knew they had tons of experience. I didn't need personal attention as much as I needed to know that the doctors knew how to get results! However, when it became clear that my case was more complicated, I felt that I got the more personal attention I needed. Dr. Widra brought me and my husband in for a special meeting to talk next steps and a plan. I also felt that at every step of the way, when I had questions or concerns, someone was there to answer them.
Carrie was an absolute dream. She was kind and compassionate, responsive and reassuring. She was extremely knowledgeable and set my mind at ease.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
My only hiccups came from the financial counselors. At times, I was given conflicting information about the prices of specific treatment services. Other times, I was not told at all that I would be billed for something. I also had a hard time getting an acceptable receipt for my FSA plan.
2009 - 2013, Successful
My wife and I were clear that we wanted to get pregnant with IUI and if it wasn't going to happen, we thought we would accept that. It took almost 2 years to get pregnant the first time and Dr Widra respected our wishes and did not once attempt to push us into a different course of treatment, even though his #1 objective as a reproductive endocrinologist, is to get women pregnant as quickly as possible. I continue to be very grateful for that.
I had a few care coordinators [at Shady Grove], and generally they were fine. They have a hard job, managing emotionally challenging situations, calling with highly anticipated test results. But admittedly I never felt a real connection with any of them. I understand that that may be a lot to ask....Functionally competent, efficient, solid customer service....He was direct and compassionate when there was bad news. I appreciated his sense of humor, which he used adeptly and with sensitivity. It helped me keep a sense of perspective when things looked bleak. He did not make promises that weren't his to keep and he was helpful at managing our expectations.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
he treated us honestly and respectfully - like adults who don't need to be coddled - and while we certainly had some challenges, we now have 2 healthy kids. I'm not sure what else I can say. So much of this journey is out of our control.
As I mentioned previously, we were patient with wanting to get pregnant with IUIs. I had 2 miscarriages before my daughter was born. I was given choices on how to conclude the miscarriages. Those choices were respected. After each, some test was proposed to see if there was an identifiable reason. There wasn't. And eventually I got pregnant.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had a few care coordinators, and generally they were fine. They have a hard job, managing emotionally challenging situations, calling with highly anticipated test results. But admittedly I never felt a real connection with any of them. I understand that that may be a lot to ask.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Functionally competent, efficient, solid customer service.
2 IUIs per cycle at $395 each, I think. My insurance did not pay for IUIs. Bloodwork, D&C, HSG we're all covered.

2011 - 2012, Unknown Success
She [Dr Osborn] did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
The waiting room [at Shady Grove on K Street] is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is a very knowledgeable doctor. I would describe her as clinical; meaning that she knows a lot but is always thinking about the medical side of things. I did not really feel like I could talk with her about the emotional part of the IVF process. I also didn't feel like I could ask questions about my treatment outside of any appointments we had. She did a good job and was cautious about treatment - she encouraged us to only implant a single perfect embryo on our first round, instead of automatically going for multiples. I would recommend her to someone who is knowledgeable about the process and doesn't need a lot of hand-holding.
Be assertive during your appointments with her and ask a lot of questions then, because I felt she was hard to talk with otherwise.
She was a good but impersonal doctor. She definitely explained the process fully, but I didn't see her except when there was something major to discuss (like a negative pregnancy test.)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Heidi)
Heidi was a great nurse - she was extremely attentive and communicative during the process. She was very responsive to any emails I sent and answered all questions quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is very well-run. It's very organized. It is convenient - there are multiple locations, and I could go to different locations for blood draws or ultrasounds if a certain one was closer (i.e., if I was doing errands on a Saturday in Baltimore, I could go to a MD location and they'd do the work and have the results.) The waiting room is very crowded and that can get a little awkward. But they were always prompt with all of the appointments. They were great about squeezing me in the time I thought I was having a miscarriage. Ultimately I am glad that we made the choice to go here. I liked the injection class they taught - very useful and helpful.
It was crowded but organized. There was a sign in sheet and then you were called from it. The waits were not too bad considering the number of people being treated. Everybody was very efficient. They were also nice but not overly chatty or personal. I could get some quick questions answered, but mostly they referred me to my nurse, who was excellent about answering anything, and doing it quickly.
Our insurance covered half of the care. We were told that our negotiated rate with our carrier (Kaiser) was the lowest of the insurance providers who covered fertility treatments. I think our costs were about $10k for the IVF with egg retrieval and about $5k for the second cycle of just the embryo transfer. This included all of my medication (purchase separately) and frozen embryo storage.
Washington DC

We've had good experience [with Dr. Moon] albeit not the result we hoped for yet. I would appreciate more guidance with regards to use of supplements and alternative wellbeing eg acupuncture, but unless there is hard science and evidence she doesn't make recommendations. We would have liked to have been given the full pgs report after both lots of treatments as it would have helped us process the disappointment. On asking we received it, but you have to know to ask and be your own advocate.
[nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] Very kind. Always responded to emails and calls...Convenience of location, size of practice and data to support clinical judgement. I would rather it was my Dr doing transfer, retrieval but that comes down to timing of your procedure and their scheduling
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
We've had good experience albeit not the result we hoped for yet. I would appreciate more guidance with regards to use of supplements and alternative wellbeing eg acupuncture, but unless there is hard science and evidence she doesn't make recommendations. We would have liked to have been given the full pgs report after both lots of treatments as it would have helped us process the disappointment. On asking we received it, but you have to know to ask and be your own advocate.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
The more you ask her, the more info you'll get. She has also been through ivf herself and so understands from the patient point of view.
After second retrieval ended with no pgs normal eggs she spent a long time with us explaining the problems and what options we had. Never any pressure.
I think it was standard protocol with Menopur/Gonal f/ cetrotide and Lupron trigger. Good response, 5 embryos but only one normal. Fet failed. Second retrieval was Lupron Stop protocol with 375 Gonal f and 125 Menopur. Again good response, but all 4 embryos came back abnormal. Retrieval 3 starts tomorrow and back to first protocol. I took 2 months break and tried all the supplements etc of my own accord.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alex)
Very kind. Always responded to emails and calls
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Convenience of location, size of practice and data to support clinical judgement. I would rather it was my Dr doing transfer, retrieval but that comes down to timing of your procedure and their scheduling.
Washington DC

after hearing about the new research from Dr. Nair we agreed that single transfer was safer...She was warm and understanding and she spoke to us frankly with respect...She was amazingly compassionate and thorough. She explained everything to us in a respectful manner and remained kind and realistic while explaining procedures and risks. We never needed to see her between appointments so I can’t speak to how responsive she is but she was always a delight to work with and her attitude and outlook was contagious.
Shady Grove only does single embryo transfer...The weaknesses are how busy it can be in the mornings for blood draws and exams but they are quick and understand everyone is busy. Bring something to do and be patient. Be kind to the staff because you will see them every morning for a long time and you get to know them...The nursing staff is organized, efficient, and compassionate...Started with clomid to induce ovulation with timed intercourse, that lasted for one cycle before we decided to move on to IUI with clomid. She gave us the option of starting with IUI or IVF and we chose IUI. Ultimately the decision was up to us and she adjusted based on our preferences.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions and trust her.
She was warm and understanding and she spoke to us frankly with respect.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
The nursing staff is organized, efficient, and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Copays mostly with $100 bill overall. My treatment was covered by my employer’s insurance.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove only does single embryo transfer and after hearing about the new research from Dr. Nair we agreed that single transfer was safer.
Washington DC

[Dr. Kimberly Moon] Treated me as if I was a younger patient. I am older, so treatments selection may have been too harsh on my eggs. She adjusted protocol which yielded more, poor quality eggs. She didn't listen to my concerns and my money went down the drain along with precious time.... THe first cycle was standard protocol- Gonal F , menopur, centrotide. HGH. The second included the previously mentioned but also a lupron stop..yielded more eggs then previous protocol. Overall, over 41 eggs retrieved but none were of quality.
[Shady Grove-Washington DC has] old standard conservative methods- resistant to alternatives. Acupuncture and yoga are now being encouraged. When I had mentioned it during my cycle, I was told that it wouldn't make a difference .... THe first cycle was standard protocol- Gonal F , menopur, centrotide. HGH. The second included the previously mentioned but also a lupron stop..yielded more eggs then previous protocol. Overall, over 41 eggs retrieved but none were of quality.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
IF you're older, find someone else. If you're younger, you may stand a chance conceiving.
Eventhough my hormone levels and AMH were that of a younger person, my protocol was not tailored for a person of advanced age and I feel the "standard" protocols I was going through possibly fried my eggs, hence further issues with egg quality. I kept insisting for other options and it wasn't considered at all.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kate)
There were issues in the beginning but overall I think it she was better.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
old standard conservative methods- resistant to alternatives. Acupuncture and yoga are now being encouraged. When I had mentioned it during my cycle, I was told that it wouldn't make a difference . Older patients should really seek elsewhere for treatment.
Over $25k
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Slight issues with weekend nurses, but aside- clinic runs well.

2016 - 2017, Unknown Success
Dr. Kimberly Moon was very warm and caring with my wife and I. She was patient and very good in helping us achieve every necessary step to move forward with our journey...Doctor Moon was a total professional with my wife and I. As this procedure is already delicate and somewhat stressful for my wife and I, Dr. Moon remained engaged, very attentive and absolutely patient with us...We've only reached the point of me taking the Clomid for my low sperm count.
The clinic [Shady Grove] first of all was very clean and smelled good. The staff was very professional and friendly. It didn't feel like a fertility clinic at all. There were so many gorgeous pictures of precious babies in the clinic that it made you feel like everyone in the staff is rooting for every single client to give life....Every time we had questions or sent emails to Katie she would get back to us right away and remained engaged with us.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be prepared to have your mind as ease with Dr. Moon and her wonderful staff
We've only reached the point of me taking the Clomid for my low sperm count. We have not moved any further as of yet.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Katie Philippes)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic first of all was very clean and smelled good. The staff was very professional and friendly. It didn't feel like a fertility clinic at all. There were so many gorgeous pictures of precious babies in the clinic that it made you feel like everyone in the staff is rooting for every single client to give life.
The total for our procedure is around $23,000
Washington DC

Dr Widra is an experienced professional, willing to take older women who normally have a slower chance of success. I found this aspect in him and in his clinic worthy of recognition because I went to another clinic before where you can sense that the doctor was not willing to sacrifice his success rates by taking a woman over 43. He was very clear on my expectations and agreed to accompany my desire to become a single mother at an old age (44 years old). He and his team are on top of the latest research and he doesnt set unrealistic expectations.
Shady Grove it a big clinic and the relationship with the patient is lead by the nurse. The Doctor sees you when he needs to diagnose and follows the treatment providing feedback through the nurse....well functioning machine for fertility treatments....We did an IVF cycle and then we decided to follow up with IUIs because at 45 years old the success rates were similar and the cost and impact on the body was more manageable for me with IUI than with IVF (and IVF was covered by my health insurance)
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Prepare yous questions in advance and ask him all you want to ask, and also, he is available by email if needed to respond any questions you might have.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
well functioning machine for fertility treatments.

2014 - 2015, Successful
Dr. Widra was frank and straightforward while also being patient and understanding. He cited studies and had ample evidence to support the decisions we made. We felt well cared for working with him. He was clear and concise which appealed to me and my husband...Dr. Widra was clear and patient with us. He was very compassionate when your first pregnancy, after an IUI, ended in a missed AB...
While they[Shday Grove - DC K St] see a lot of patients, I found them still attentive to me needs. I had a pretty straightforward case however, so that might have helped...We did a two-for-a-discount cycle, though we didn't end up needing the second cycle. We received some financial aid, I think the total without medication for this was $15,000...
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask questions when you need to.
I'm afraid I don't remember the specifics here.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kristal)
She was responsive and kind.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
While they see a lot of patients, I found them still attentive to me needs. I had a pretty straightforward case however, so that might have helped.
I was able to schedule for a general time, and was usually seen reasonable close to that scheduled time. If running late and I needed to get to an appointment elsewhere, they were able to accommodate my needs.
Washington DC

She’s [Dr. Nair is] very knowledgeable in Assistive Reproductive Technology. She was candid about my health and age and how that would interact with my treatments. I feel like I’m in good shape with Dr. Nair leading my medical team...Medicine if obviously a practice of statistics, but Dr. Nair finds a way to connect these with our own physiology and experience....
Shady Grove is fantastic. Everyone is compassionate and good at what they do. Get used to truly being cared for by a team. You will see a lot of faces. This is an adjustment if you expect to see the same doctor’s face every day, but this clinic setting works extremely well...I can’t say enough good things about the Shellee and the nursing staff. Their knowledge and compassion is endless...$13,900 for IVF treatment, including PGA testing. Does not include medications....
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She’s very knowledgeable in Assistive Reproductive Technology. She was candid about my health and age and how that would interact with my treatments. I feel like I’m in good shape with Dr. Nair leading my medical team.
Ask questions.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Shellee Wilson)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
$13,900 for IVF treatment, including PGA testing. Does not include medications.
Washington DC

He [Dr. Widra] was very helpful in explaining the process...I do think that they don't have as much time to spend on patients due to the number of patients they see each day. It is a little difficult to schedule appointment son weekends...IF you need to speak with the Doctor himself make appointment sot see him yourself. After the first session you will be communicating with your assigned nurse.
strength: you can make appointments very easily ( except for on weekends) - My Dr is always available for a phone visit. I also like the webinars Shady Grove Fertility conducts every week. My nurse is also a great communicator, and the wait time for tests aren't too long. Weakness: I would have appreciated if someone would sit with me to describe the results more in detail....my nurse is very good in communicating the test results and next steps with me
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He was very helpful in explaining the process. the nurse is also very helpful. I do think that they don't have as much time to spend on patients due to the number of patients they see each day. It is a little difficult to schedule appointment son weekends with the Rockvile Office
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
my nurse is very good in communicating the test results and next steps with me
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
I haven't done that yet
Washington DC

The clinic [Shady Grove] is too big, i have 6 ultrasounds with 5 different technicians, the retrival is in a place different from the office and nobody you know is there. Its a well functioning machine, but a little bit impersonal...The one and only time I saw him [Dr. Eric Widra] , he was quite clear about expectations and probabilities for a patient who was 44 years old. He was open, a good listener, the only thing I didnt like is that he insisted in some test, that I have already done within the past year, as if they were trying to bill more for their clinic...He was very open about probabilities of pregnancy at 44 years old, and he explained that given good hormonal results that we could try a few times with PGD to see if there are any viable embryos. I found him quite honest.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
the one and only time I saw him, he was quite clear about expectations and probabilities for a patient who was 44 years old. He was open, a good listener, the only thing I didnt like is that he insisted in some test, that I have already done within the past year, as if they were trying to bill more for their clinic.
ANTAGONIST
She was accessible by email and phone (through an answering machine), she was always positive and nice
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is too big, i have 6 ultrasounds with 5 different technicians, the retrival is in a place different from the office and nobody you know is there. Its a well functioning machine, but a little bit impersonal
18K covered by health insurance

2013 - 2017, Successful
I always felt Dr. Widra was providing the best possible treatment recommendations. His recommendations were always grounded in empirical data (% chance of success / risks / outcomes). He was available either through appointment or over the phone to address any concerns or answer questions. We had a very positive experience...I always felt Dr. Widra was providing the best possible treatment recommendations. His recommendations were always grounded in empirical data (% chance of success / risks / outcomes). He was available either through appointment or over the phone to address any concerns or answer questions. We had a very positive experience.
Strengths [of Shady Grove]: multiple locations, weekend hours, increasing amount of services provided by their office as opposed to outside providers Weaknesses: not all services at all locations...I always felt Dr. Widra was providing the best possible treatment recommendations. His recommendations were always grounded in empirical data (% chance of success / risks / outcomes). He was available either through appointment or over the phone to address any concerns or answer questions. We had a very positive experience.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Express what you are looking for and what you are comfortable / uncomfortable with. I believe he listens and takes that into account very well.
Dr. Widra has always listened to what we were hoping to achieve and recommended the lowest interventions possible. It never felt as though he was trying to sell any services, but rather focused on achieving results in a manner we were comfortable with.
Clomid + IUI
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths: multiple locations, weekend hours, increasing amount of services provided by their office as opposed to outside providers Weaknesses: not all services at all locations
~2,500/IUI
2013 - 2017, Successful
She [Dr. Nair] is sweet and honest. She was pregnant/on leave when I had issues with fibroids and so it was very hard... Anyway once dr Nair was back from leave - she handled it well with me and we went on to have a good relationship...When I dealt with her , [I was treated like] a human....Make sure all your tests are up to date. Advocate for yourself, same as with any doctor....You really have to keep track of your own care, or no one else will.....
[Shady Grove - DC K St] Strength- the LAB weakness- it can feel like a factory at times or a Big Business. You really have to keep track of your own care, or no one else will....[nurses] kept switching - but timely results...I had to deal with other docs and they did not seem to be on th same page. I had just spent thousands on IVF and THEN they discovered a Fibroid and said "nothing would implant with that in there." After 3 failed cycles.....apparently no one realized my uterine tests were not up to date.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She is sweet and honest. She was pregnant/on leave when I had issues with fibroids and so it was very hard: I had to deal with other docs and they did not seem to be on th same page. I had just spent thousands on IVF and THEN they discovered a Fibroid and said "nothing would implant with that in there." After 3 failed cycles.....apparently no one realized my uterine tests were not up to date. Anyway once dr Nair was back from leave - she handled it well with me and we went on to have a good relationship.
When I dealt with her , a human. The clinic, a number
Hi dose protocol
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
They kept switching - but timely results .
More than 60k
Excellent advice
See previous statement

2015, Successful
Dr Widra was candid and direct, which I greatly needed after seeing another doctor (with another group) who was always vague. Dr Widra showed me stats and talked me through everything in a clear manner...Given that I had low ovarian reserve he focused on producing as many eggs as possible and was very attentive during monitoring to adjust medications as needed...Ask as many questions, Dr Widra is very open.
Monitoring [at Shady Grove DC] is a pain, and they have a ton of patients, but it was managed well....I had a good insurance, but the staff was exceptionally knowledgeable and knew how to maximize insurance....I had a one on one nurse who was always available and when she wasn't, I was informed who to contact. I could email or call anytime...[Nurse] She was direct and careful. Would ask about my mental health and was available for emails and calls
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask as many questions, Dr Widra is very open.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Only limitation was sometimes they would need to ask the doctor, which was reasonable.
Monitoring is a pain, and they have a ton of patients, but it was managed well.

2011 - 2015, Successful
clean Friendly state of the art equipment [at Shady Grove Fertility-Washington DC]... Dr. Widra is smart and I really liked him. He was sometimes serious but I prefer my doctor to be serious and understand what he is doing than be cheerful and not know what he is doing. One thing I didn't like about him was his preference for singleton versus having twins.... Dr. Widra would patiently answer all my questions though sometime he would appear to get exasperated with me. Maybe not his fault. I usually would read up a lot and come with too many questions.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Do not be bothered by his not so cheerful personality
She followed up adequately
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
clean Friendly state of the art equipment
I already did. Dr Widra preferred singletons and would always advise you so. I was very upset that he seemed relieved when one of the two heartbeats we had seen previously was no longer progressing.
2012 - 2015, Successful
We wanted a physician who is an expert in his practice and experienced in diagnosis and treatment. Dr. Widra fit this description perfectly. He fully explained the course of treatment, gave us clear expectations, and met every predicted outcome - successfully.
We had two cycles, and two nurses [at Shady Grove Fertility] . The first was wonderful - clear in her communication and organized. The second we did not care for as much - felt we had to initiate communication and that her instructions were rushed and not as clear as we would have liked.
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
He knows what he is doing, you are in excellent hands.
We found Dr. Widra to be warm and friendly, straightforward with his diagnosis and plan, clear and concise with a plan of action. Exactly what we wanted.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had two cycles, and two nurses. The first was wonderful - clear in her communication and organized. The second we did not care for as much - felt we had to initiate communication and that her instructions were rushed and not as clear as we would have liked.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is excellent. They are capable and professional.
2012 - 2013, Successful
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She [Dr Osborn] was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online...Ask lots of questions. Ask her to tell you the numbers. I had to ask a few times to get to the bottom of it - I asked "Based on my numbers, what is the estimated number of cycles it will take to get to a live birth?" Then her answer was 2.6
Shady Grove is a factory. Good results, but I only saw Dr. Osborn 3 times the whole time I was there...Multiple locations, convenient, runs like a well oiled machine, but also feels like an assembly line...I actually signed up for shared risk program where you pay 2.5 times the cost of one cycle, with money returned if there was no live birth after 6 cycles.
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I had only a couple short meetings with her throughout the process. She was my first doctor so I did not know all the questions to ask, I found out most information online..
300 Gonal-f, 225 Menopur
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Linda Hocker)
I needed to get 1 extra vial for an extra day of meds but could not get it from the pharmacy downstairs and Linda was able to call the office and get me one