6.9

13580 Groupe Drive
Woodbridge, VA 22192
703-680-1770

2016 - 2020, Unknown Success
While I know she [Dr. Kimberly Moon] knows who my husband and I are and preformed 2/3 of my egg retrievals, I also feel we're a number in that i don't feel like a lot of time and effort is being put in to figure out a creative way to mitigate our MFI and allow us to have another biological baby. After our failed IVF cycle in 2019, we were recommended to use 50% donor sperm on next cycle. I feel like there has to be other options out there.
Both [nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] showed compassion and answered my portal questions on the same day and with accuracy...Shared Risk for my age was $22,500.00 Multi-Cycle (2 cycles) was $18,500.00...There are many location options to visit. The Rockville surgery center is well decorated and relaxing and the staff there have always been great. I have been pleased with my retrieval experiences. Weaknesses - Not enough convenient weekend clinic options. Upper MD has Rockville, VA has Fairfax, DC has K Street, but those of us in Southern Maryland don't have anything and have to drive 30-60 minutes for weekend monitoring appointments. The K Street office also doesn't have a free parking option, if not on Sunday's. I was able to monitor at Waldorf for my March 2020 cycle and save on the headache of fighting DC traffic and parking meters, but I don't know if I will be able to do that for future cycles. Another weakness is operating hours -- would be helpful if the clinics opened at 6a for monitoring on weekd
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Moon is well educated and seems to be a numbers person. During our consult for our second IVF cycle with her for a second biological child, she ran our data from our cycle 2 years prior through a spreadsheet they had to predict likelihood for success with unexplained infertility and our age and the numbers were so-so. I pushed and asked why we only ended up with (1) blastocyst when I had 21 retrieved and 17 mature/fertilized. She responded that to her that points to male factor infertility bc the cells live off the maternal protein the initial 3 days and then once getting past 4-cells they live off the male DNA. Since we still had 10+ embryos after our Day-2 update and then only 1 come day 5/6/7, she deducts there are some MFI issues and referred us to the urologist in her practice if we wanted more information. If we had decided not to go, then we never would have learned about the Sperm DNA Fragmentation test that is available. I don't know why this test wasn't recommended after our initial 2-failed IUIs or when his semen analysis in initial work up was so-so. The results came back that 36% of his sperm had DNA fragmentation and success for frag over 30% isn't good. For our IVF cycle in 2019 to attempt for our second baby, the urologist recommended he perform a TESE procedure on my husband to get to the source of the sperm before they get fragmented in ejaculation. Again, we had 21 retrieved and 17 mature/fertilize but only 2 make it to blastocysts (day 5 & 6). They were tested and both came back abnormal. At that point, Dr. Moon and the board reviewed our case and decided we could not continue in the Shared Risk program, unless we used 50% donor sperm and 50% of my husband's. While I get they want to protect their data and pregnancy rates, this felt like a blow that they didn't have faith in our future outcomes. We want a full biological family and we know it is possible since we have our son; we'd think they would come up with ways to help overcome this DNA fragmentation. They moved our deposit for Shared Risk over to a Multi-Cycle program (2 tries) and then I don't know what we'll do if those two don't work..... After that failed cycle, I read up on whatever studies I could find and put my husband on supplements for 3-months and he was trying to work on getting his BMI down since the clinic didn't have any recommendations on what we could do to make a difference. Sadly our March 2020 IVF cycle had about 20 retrieved; 18 mature and fertilized and only 2 made it to blast again and both came back abnormal again. We have a teleconference with Dr. Moon this afternoon to talk about next steps, I guess. Curious to see what she'll say....
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't be afraid to do your own research and schedule calls with her to get questions answered.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
My response is mixed. While I know she knows who my husband and I are and preformed 2/3 of my egg retrievals, I also feel we're a number in that i don't feel like a lot of time and effort is being put in to figure out a creative way to mitigate our MFI and allow us to have another biological baby. After our failed IVF cycle in 2019, we were recommended to use 50% donor sperm on next cycle. I feel like there has to be other options out there.
Describe the protocols Kimberly Moon used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I don't recall the treatment protocols for my (2) IUIs, but for my (3) IVF cycles she had me on an antagonist protocol with 225 Gonal-F and (3) vials of Menopur. I am slower to respond, esp. my right side, so my 3rd cycle I was started on these higher doses and stayed pretty steady throughout cycle. Only (1) IVF cycle in 2017 was successful with producing (1) blastocyst (our son). Have a tele-consult with our Dr. this afternoon and am curious if there is another protocol we can try for our final cycle.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
Lana and Caroline were the two I remember communicating the most with during my two cycles the last 6-months. Both showed compassion and answered my portal questions on the same day and with accuracy. In 2017 I did have (1) assigned nurse, Kate Manders, and I didn't 100% care for her. She was nice enough but seemed pretty cold/robotic. She is now the K Street Patient Care Coordinator or Office Manager or something to that effect.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Strengths - Monitoring appointments are quick and efficient. There are many location options to visit. The Rockville surgery center is well decorated and relaxing and the staff there have always been great. I have been pleased with my retrieval experiences. Weaknesses - Not enough convenient weekend clinic options. Upper MD has Rockville, VA has Fairfax, DC has K Street, but those of us in Southern Maryland don't have anything and have to drive 30-60 minutes for weekend monitoring appointments. The K Street office also doesn't have a free parking option, if not on Sunday's. I was able to monitor at Waldorf for my March 2020 cycle and save on the headache of fighting DC traffic and parking meters, but I don't know if I will be able to do that for future cycles. Another weakness is operating hours -- would be helpful if the clinics opened at 6a for monitoring on weekdays and stay with 7a on weekends so patients can still get to work at a semi-decent hour.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility.
Shared Risk for my age was $22,500.00 Multi-Cycle (2 cycles) was $18,500.00 PGT-A Testing - $5,000.00 TESE - $5,000.00 Sperm Analysis - $50.00 Sperm DNA Fragmentation Test - $250.00
Describe Kimberly Moon's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Washington DC

His [Dr. Levens] knowledge and competence is without question. ... Because he was not available without an appointment, it was difficult to speak with him about questions or concerns. This was frustrating because it was my first cycle. He is thorough and compassionate if the news is not as hoped as was our case. He has adjusted treatment based on our specific results and explained the next steps.
The clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] overall is doing a great job however we noticed a lack of consistency in result reporting in dealing with the nursing staff. My nurse would call and not give the details of my monitoring appt or test results unless I asked specifics while others nurses would give me the results without prompting. After talking with my doc the day I was scheduled to trigger another nurse was trying to get us to buy more meds! She had not looked at my chart really and we could tell she had no idea but it did cause some confusion that day.
How was your experience with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
His knowledge and competence is without question. As a doctor myself, I had to remind him that I wanted to know every detail without the sugarcoating or layman's optimism. Because he was not available without an appointment, it was difficult to speak with him about questions or concerns. This was frustrating because it was my first cycle. He is thorough and compassionate if the news is not as hoped as was our case. He has adjusted treatment based on our specific results and explained the next steps.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
Patients have all different backgrounds and those who want to know more detail should be treated accordingly within reason.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility?
It was at times difficult to speak directly with him, however, I understand that he is extremely busy as the medical director of the clinic. When I did leave questions, he definitely would call back with an answer within a day or two. He was well versed with my record when we did talk.
Describe the protocols Eric Levens used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Based on AMH, FSH, it was determined that my ovarian reserve was more than adequate and similar to someone approximately 5-6 yrs younger however quality was still unknown. The protocol was about 15 days and began with gonal f 150iu and 75iu of menopur. The menopur was increased up to 225 in the last week. I took doses of Cetrotide and used Leuprolide as the trigger. 17 eggs were retrieved, 13 of which were mature. 9 embryos were fertilized with 2 making it to day 6. Embryo testing of the 2 showed chromosome 21 trisomy and chromosome 21 monosomy. My husband and I were sent out for karyotype testing and awaiting results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Courtney Schmidt)
She was very responsive and willing to go the extra mile if needed. She was always accessible which was a plus considering that I could not always reach my doc. She would pass along any message or question so that I could get an answer quickly.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic overall is doing a great job however we noticed a lack of consistency in result reporting in dealing with the nursing staff. My nurse would call and not give the details of my monitoring appt or test results unless I asked specifics while others nurses would give me the results without prompting. After talking with my doc the day I was scheduled to trigger another nurse was trying to get us to buy more meds! She had not looked at my chart really and we could tell she had no idea but it did cause some confusion that day.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Levens at Shady Grove Fertility.
We did a multicycle package with a military discount and paid additional 5k for blast genetic testing. Altogether the services were 18k without medication.
Describe Eric Levens's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Given our age and no children, we will be transferring more than 1 blast if available.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Previous box discussed this conflict.
Eric Levens
Fairfax

2015 - 2020, 17 Eggs Frozen
[Dr. Nair is] Warm, honest, compassionate...She truly cares about her patients, and can evaluate each patient’s specific needs to determine the best course of action. She tells the truth, shares empathy, and always strives for the best outcomes for each patient...was willing to be as aggressive and patient as I was willing to be. It took a maximum amount of ovarian stimulation each cycle, and I took 4-6 days longer than average to get to the right blood level numbers (showing optimal ovarian stimulation) each cycle. Other doctors would have likely cancelled my first cycle when it took so long. Dr Nair did discuss this possibility and ramifications with me, but did let me keep trying a bit longer. Turns out, I’m just a slow goer; we successfully harvested 6 eggs the first round, which I was ecstatic about given my poor indicators. She helped me maximize each of 3 cycles, through medication decisions, and was my cheerleader throughout the process. We harvested 18 eggs over 3 cycles (over 2ish years) and froze 17 mature eggs. A few years later, my new husband and I are starting the process to thaw and fertilize and hopefully transfer an embryo! As with the freezing procedures, I trust and valie her recommendations 100%.
My medication costs were at the highest end of the spectrum, due to my situation. Dr Nair’s team [at Shady Grove Fertility] gave me tips on how to find the most cost effective pharmacies to fill them...many positives include efficiency, a proven track record, multiple locations and ease of access, and great historical data on outcomes. Despite this “Big Center” status (for lack of a better term), I have never felt like “just” a number or “just” a source of revenue.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Warm, honest, compassionate, and expert. I fully trust her advice and recommendations and feel like I could not have a better doctor for this journey. She truly cares about her patients, and can evaluate each patient’s specific needs to determine the best course of action. She tells the truth, shares empathy, and always strives for the best outcomes for each patient. She is a Godsend.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
This is the doctor that you want to work with! She’s on your side and in your fight as much as you are.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Nair is exactly what you want in a fertility doctor: open, honest, transparent, warm. She has an excellent bedside manner, and gently shares all data (good & not so good) so that you can make the best decisions. She also inquires and cares about your emotional health, not just your physical health. I cannot recommend her enough.
Describe the protocols Anitha Nair used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
During early processes for elective egg freezing at age 37, it became apparent that I had diminished ovarian reserves and might not have the outcome I wanted. Dr Nair delivered these facts gently and compassionately, and was willing to be as aggressive and patient as I was willing to be. It took a maximum amount of ovarian stimulation each cycle, and I took 4-6 days longer than average to get to the right blood level numbers (showing optimal ovarian stimulation) each cycle. Other doctors would have likely cancelled my first cycle when it took so long. Dr Nair did discuss this possibility and ramifications with me, but did let me keep trying a bit longer. Turns out, I’m just a slow goer; we successfully harvested 6 eggs the first round, which I was ecstatic about given my poor indicators. She helped me maximize each of 3 cycles, through medication decisions, and was my cheerleader throughout the process. We harvested 18 eggs over 3 cycles (over 2ish years) and froze 17 mature eggs. A few years later, my new husband and I are starting the process to thaw and fertilize and hopefully transfer an embryo! As with the freezing procedures, I trust and valie her recommendations 100%.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer young)
So caring and communicative! She was proactive and checked in on procedures I had with my general ob/gyn to see how I was recovering!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove’s many positives include efficiency, a proven track record, multiple locations and ease of access, and great historical data on outcomes. Despite this “Big Center” status (for lack of a better term), I have never felt like “just” a number or “just” a source of revenue.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility.
My medication costs were at the highest end of the spectrum, due to my situation. Dr Nair’s team gave me tips on how to find the most cost effective pharmacies to fill them. The per cycle cost was hefty, yes, but I truly felt that I got what I paid for, from start to finish.
Describe Anitha Nair's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Not yet!
Washington DC

[Dr. Sunita Kulshrestha] has been very informative, comforting, and makes time for virtual consults or to answer questions over the phone during the COVDI-19 pandemic. She, and her team, have been amazing during this holding pattern in our lives and we are thankful for them...Everyone's treatment is specifically tailored to their needs so that the best outcome can be reached. There is no "one size fits all" approach with Dr. Kulshrestha.
All of the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility of Waldorf have been amazing. They are very knowledgeable if we have questions or concerns, and they're very responsive to phone calls and messages in the patient portal. Our care coordinator has been very clear about financial responsibilities associated with treatment and fee schedules... The clinic is very intimate, so it never feels like you're a number. We're usually the only couple being seen during our appointment time.
How was your experience with Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kulshrestha is very warm, approachable, and friendly. She listens to patient concerns and is great at drawing diagrams to really drive information home. She has made this experience at lot less daunting.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be patient. Everyone's treatment is specifically tailored to their needs so that the best outcome can be reached. There is no "one size fits all" approach with Dr. Kulshrestha.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Kulshrestha has always been very transparent and effervescent, from our very first consultation. I initially saw her in 2018 for an evaluation because of difficulty getting pregnant after 1 year of trying. A month after the initial consultation, I fell pregnant naturally. Unfortunately the pregnancy ended in miscarriage at 8 weeks. After rebounding from our loss, we decided to give fertility treatments another try in 2019. Our IUI was unsuccessful but it helped us better understand some of the barriers that were causing fertility issues. As we were beginning baseline reading for IVF in 2020 Dr. Kulshrestha found a cyst on my right ovary, fast forward to my MRI results-- I was diagnosed with Stage 4 Endmetriosis due to a 6.5 mm endometrioma on my right ovary. Now that I know for sure that I have severe endometriosis, I understand that IVF is our only option to start our family. Dr. Kulshrestha has been very informative, comforting, and makes time for virtual consults or to answer questions over the phone during the COVDI-19 pandemic. She, and her team, have been amazing during this holding pattern in our lives and we are thankful for them.
Describe the protocols Sunita Kulshrestha (retired) used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Femara 2.5 mg, increased to 5 mg daily to help with follicle stimulation. Ovidrel (trigger shot) and IUI 48 hours later. Progesterone suppositories to maintain uterine lining. 2 week wait for blood draw pregnancy test. We attempted timed cycles prior to IUI #1.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Gladys Wilkins, MPA, PA-C)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic has excellent hours. Our work schedule allows us 1 week day off so we have managed to have our appointments on that day so that our patients won't have to be rescheduled. The clinic is very intimate, so it never feels like you're a number. We're usually the only couple being seen during our appointment time.
Sunita Kulshrestha (retired)
Waldorf

Dr. Osborn is soft spoken but very friendly and willing to answer any questions you have. She knows who you are and shares results with you personally as needed...She is much more willing to share and elaborate if you ask questions. She doesn't talk just to talk so be prepared with what you want to know...She is realistic and clear with what she expects from treatment...Antagonist protocol for retrieval which resulted in less embryos than I expected but exactly what SGF predicted for me...
SGF is big but Sibley is a small office so you don't feel like just a number the way you might in the Rockville office. Most of my monitoring was done at Sibley so it's the same nurses and staff that you encounter every time. SGF is very technical and wants the best outcome for you. Everything that they do is research based so you know that they are making the most educated decisions on your behalf...
How was your experience with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
I believe that all the doctors at SGF are required to follow strict guidelines so there is not a lot of experimentation that I've seen so far but I have a fairly straightforward case. Dr. Osborn has always been friendly, considerate and willing to answer any questions that I've had. She has been the one to share good and bad news with me and will always contact me if I've requested to hear from her. She is realistic and clear with what she expects from treatment.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Barbara Osborn used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Rachel, Carolyn, KC)
I've had various nurses throughout my year with SGF due to a few different factors within the office. All of them are clear, friendly and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Barbara Osborn at Shady Grove Fertility.
I had insurance coverage so I do not know the total amount of each procedure.
Describe Barbara Osborn's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
eSET is recommended.
Barbara Osborn
Sibley

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
She [Dr. Durso] is matter-of-fact with the combination of age, BMI, personal diagnosis, and predicted outcomes but that is something my husband and I need in our doctor. ... She would’ve stopped us after our 3rd IUI and moved us to IVF but we weren’t comfortable without one more try. She listened to us and gave it a 4th and final attempt. Now we are comfortable moving into IVF with ICSI since our attempts revealed MFI in addition to my PCOS.
From the moment we started going to the Fredericksburg SGF location, we felt welcomed and cared for. We are usually seen right at our scheduled appointment time, which I can’t say for most doctor’s offices. The entire staff - from the PAs/Administrative to the nursing staff to Dr.Durso - are the perfect fit for us. ... Our primary nurse is Andrea Williams and she is absolutely terrific. We always feel welcome in our office and she is an excellent listener and has the most compassionate heart. She is great with communication in person, over the phone, and in email.
How was your experience with Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
The only thing that may be considered a weakness to some is that Dr. Durso can be a bit socially awkward when it comes to small talk or casual conversation. She’s a great listener, though, if you like to chat. Regardless, when it’s time to talk treatment she really knows her stuff and gives you a clear plan and predicted outcomes, and we leave comfortable with every appointment we have with her.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be open and honest with her. She would’ve stopped us after our 3rd IUI and moved us to IVF but we weren’t comfortable without one more try. She listened to us and gave it a 4th and final attempt. Now we are comfortable moving into IVF with ICSI since our attempts revealed MFI in addition to my PCOS.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Nancy Durso at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Durso was very kind from our initial consultation and actively listened to what brought us to her for treatment. When I cried during the consult she simply paused, pushed a box of tissue to me and allowed me to get it out. Once I was done crying she asked if I was ready to continue. That was very kind and I did not feel judged. She is matter-of-fact with the combination of age, BMI, personal diagnosis, and predicted outcomes but that is something my husband and I need in our doctor.
Describe the protocols Nancy Durso used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Because of my PCOS we had to use Provera to jumpstart the first treatment, as well as Letrazole tablets because previous attempts with Clomid (at my former OBGYN) failed. We did 4 IUIs using Gonal-F and triggering with Ovidrel. I was also placed on progesterone suppositories and Estrace, both taken vaginally. None resulted in pregnancy but male factor infertility was revealed.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Andrea Williams)
Our primary nurse is Andrea Williams and she is absolutely terrific. We always feel welcome in our office and she is an excellent listener and has the most compassionate heart. She is great with communication in person, over the phone, and in email. Responses are always very timely. And if you’re a hugger, she gives good ones. We also meet with Nurse Rosie for most of our appointments and I can’t say enough good things about her either. She’s an excellent listener, very thorough with the scans and walks you through what she’s seeing. She is gentle with “Wanda” and makes the entire visit somehow not seem overly intrusive. Nurse Andrea and Nurse Rosie make you feel more like family...not a number.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
From the moment we started going to the Fredericksburg SGF location, we felt welcomed and cared for. We are usually seen right at our scheduled appointment time, which I can’t say for most doctor’s offices. The entire staff - from the PAs/Administrative to the nursing staff to Dr.Durso - are the perfect fit for us. Since our first consultation in December 2018, there has been only 1 appointment I can recall where there was a hiccup. There was a scheduling error and our appointment that we scheduled by phone didn’t make it into the system. It was a very busy time and we fault no one for this...especially with how it was handled. When we showed up, the person who we scheduled with said she didn’t see it in the system but she remembered talking with me about it and immediately apologized and asked me to wait a moment. She went to the back to let them know what happened and Dr. Durso herself came out and said she had back to back appointments but she’d still meet with us if we didn’t mind waiting. We waited and she saw us and answered all questions even past closing. TWO THUMBS UP for service!
Describe Nancy Durso's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We have not yet undergone our first IVF round but I did ask if we would be able to transfer two embryos. Dr. Durso highly recommends only transferring one because it will ultimately be safer for mom and baby.
Nancy Durso
Fredericksburg

[Dr. Anitha Nair] always seemed too busy and in a rush to answer our questions...often describe my result in vague terms, and we had to push her to get actual numbers - for example what my fsh/amh levels were. When she advised that we were going to be withdrawn from the shared risk program she joked, “now you guys can take the money and go buy a boat!” She meant it to be a joke, but it was quite hurtful in the moment and revealed that she didn’t seem to be really in touch with the pain that we were going through.
Shady grove is a big clinic, you rarely see a Dr. Or your nurse in person who is informed about the details of your case...can choose to terminate you from their shared risk program at any time...We were not informed of the pros and cons or fresh vs. frozen transfers...We had issues with communication and did not feel supported when we had to make serious decisions...did not feel like we got an individualized treatment plan tailored to my case.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
We had issues with communication and did not feel supported when we had to make serious decisions. It would be difficult to get a complete overview of the facts of my case from Dr. Nair. She always seemed too busy and in a rush to answer our questions. She would often describe my result in vague terms, and we had to push her to get actual numbers - for example what my fsh/amh levels were. When she advised that we were going to be withdrawn from the shared risk program she joked, “now you guys can take the money and go buy a boat!” She meant it to be a joke, but it was quite hurtful in the moment and revealed that she didn’t seem to be really in touch with the pain that we were going through.
Try to work with a different Dr.
The Dr. Was always rushed in her manner when speaking with us. She did not give us time to ask questions. We had to be very demanding and pushy if we wanted to g e.g. straight facts, which was unsettling. It felt as if we were trying different combinations of drugs without purpose, did not feel like we got an individualized treatment plan tailored to my case.
We were told a fresh transfer was the best way to go, and at the time we didn’t have the knowledge to question this. We tried clomid and I “over responded” once leading to a cancelled IUI cycle. We next tried IVF and when I asked why we didn’t try clocks in conjunction with this, it was brushed off. I now understand this is done by other clinics, so I’m not sure why it was disregarded. For two cycles of IVF, I was on Lupron, Gonal, and Menopur.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jenn)
The nursing staff was more helpful in answering questions (through the patient portal) than Dr. Nair. However, because Shady grove is a big clinic, you rarely see a Dr. Or your nurse in person who is informed about the details of your case. This is somewhat frustrating because you cannot ask them about your results and what they mean in terms of the bigger picture of your treatment cycle.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The “shared risk” program is not advertised accurately on their website. They have reviews stating that you don’t have to worry about “paying a penny” for 6 cycles of IVF. In reality, you are responsible for all medication costs and Shady grove can choose to terminate you from their shared risk program at any time. I know several couples who this has happened to, and it is not clear how these cases are counted in their overall advertised numbers of “success.” I fear that they are not included, this leading to artificially elevated numbers.
IUIs: approximately $10,000 IVF cycles: approximately $40,00
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were not informed of the pros and cons or fresh vs. frozen transfers.
Washington DC

[Dr. Rebecca Chason] was very attentive to adjust my meds and I did not have OHSS...We transferred 1 fresh 5 day blastocyst which worked. Although we ended up miscarrying at 15 weeks due to a rare genetic disorder...called to check on us after our miscarriage...gave us all the options going forward...always treated us with respect and felt like our concerns were always valid.
[Nurse at Shady Grove Fertility] has been so supportive through this whole journey. We called her the day before we were following up with our OB post D&C and asked if we could stop by the clinic just to talk. She was so welcoming that day and gave us so much hope moving forward...All of the staff from receptionist , check out staff, lab and US techs are so compassionate. I've always felt comfortable and welcome.
How was your experience with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Chason has always treated us with respect and felt like our concerns were always valid. For example our recent miscarriage at 15 weeks resulted from a genetic disorder. She gave us all the options going forward. Dr. Chason called us before our telehealth visit to order labs for us ahead of time.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask all the questions whether or not you think it's silly. Dr Chason will always answer it to the best of her ability.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr Chason has been so amazing being upfront with us and explaining everything. Since we are in the medical field she talks in medical terms so we can understand. She called us on her vacation to check on us after our egg retrieval. She also called to check on us after our miscarriage.
Describe the protocols Rebecca Chason used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
IUI we used clomid for 3 cycles and switched to Letrozole with HCG trigger shot. She thought based off of my age and diagnosis we would have success. We ended up not havimg success so we started IVF. For IVF Dr. Chason chose an agonist protocol with Gonal-F and Menopur. She decided on a dual trigger Lupron and HCG to try and avoid OHSS due to my small weight/ follicles. She was very attentive to adjust my meds and I did not have OHSS. On egg retrieval day we had 15 eggs, 9 were mature, and we ended up with 5 embryos. We transferred 1 fresh 5 day blastocyst which worked. Although we ended up miscarrying at 15 weeks due to a rare genetic disorder. We did not PGS test due to our ages. I am 30 and my husband is 33.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Jennifer Levy)
Jen is amazing! She has been so supportive through this whole journey. We called her the day before we were following up with our OB post D&C and asked if we could stop by the clinic just to talk. She was so welcoming that day and gave us so much hope moving forward.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
All of the staff from receptionist , check out staff, lab and US techs are so compassionate. I've always felt comfortable and welcome. I can't note any negatives. They were also on top of protocol to protect our safety during Covid-19! Social distancing with other patients, hand sanitizer and wiping off pens.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Rebecca Chason at Shady Grove Fertility.
We had to pay for some of our medications. Most of our appointments had a copay. We had to pay for embryo freezing and will need to come out of pocket for PGS testing of our frozen embryos.
Describe Rebecca Chason's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
My Dr prefers eSET. We never discussed transferring more than one based off of my age.
Rebecca Chason
Annapolis

Weaknesses [of Dr. Arthur Sagoskin] -- hard to get a hold of. Could be better at explaining the why of what we were doing. Strengths -- seemed very knowledgable and very experienced. I trust him because he's been doing this for 30 years...He's compassionate but can be candid and blunt when appropriate...When there was bad news, he called me to talk to me in person and explain the next steps
Feels a little bit like a number [at Shady Grove Fertility clinic]. Different nurses, ultrasound technicians, and doctors every day. Was never given a way to contact doctor directly. However, they were relatively efficient and had their procedures down cold. Embryo lab world class...Did multi-cycle discount (2 for the price of about 1.5 cycles)...sometimes they got backed up 30-45 minutes
How was your experience with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Weaknesses -- hard to get a hold of. Could be better at explaining the why of what we were doing. Strengths -- seemed very knowledgable and very experienced. I trust him because he's been doing this for 30 years and started the clinic so there's probably not a lot he hasn't seen
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't expect to have your hand held through this process. Advocate for yourself and speak up. Ask questions (what about trying this?). He's compassionate but can be candid and blunt when appropriate.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility?
When there was bad news, he called me to talk to me in person and explain the next steps. Wish it was easier to get a hold of him and ask questions. I definitely don't doubt his expertise and trust him, but I have a scientific mind and Type A personality so it puts my mind at ease to know just what we are doing but why we are doing it.
Describe the protocols Arthur Sagoskin used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Estrogen priming protocol with 600 IU of gonatropins. Microdose lupron 2nd cycle slightly lower doses. Microdose lupron with longer time between trigger and retrieval (37 hours vice 36) for third cycle. Lowered does of meds on third cycle to prevent OHSS. Have not gotten results on third cycle yet, but best egg yield by a factor of 3. Protocols chosen because diminished ovarian reserve. Did not respond much on EPP. Responded well on microdose lupron the first time. Second time responded very well (and possibly too well). Changed retrieval interval to improve egg maturity.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Feels a little bit like a number. Different nurses, ultrasound technicians, and doctors every day. Was never given a way to contact doctor directly. However, they were relatively efficient and had their procedures down cold. Embryo lab world class.
Could go in when convenient but sometimes they got backed up 30-45 minutes.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Arthur Sagoskin at Shady Grove Fertility.
Did multi-cycle discount (2 for the price of about 1.5 cycles). Paid for it and meds out of pocket
Describe Arthur Sagoskin's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
eSET chosen because I am very skinny and have had a high risk pregnancy in the past. Also only got one PGS normal anyway from first two cycles
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
The only thing that went wrong was scheduling the 3rd appointment which was to do a specific diagnostic procedure. It was a minor inconvenience but it could have delayed things a month.
Arthur Sagoskin
Rockville

I liked that he [Dr. Jason Bromer] took the time to explain the results fully to me during the testing. My husband also felt comfortable with him. He was positive and easy to understand and trust. I had read reviews about the clinic that you don't ever see your doctor or talk to the doctor but that is not my experience...I never felt like a number and he was there to see me during my visits, even called me with results after he had left for the day.
My care coordinator [at Shady Grove Fertility clinic] was the person I talked to the most. She was wonderful and always available to answer any questions or send me a quick email in the portal. She helped me with scheduling all of the appointments and really made it easy...The clinic is either really busy or they have limited slots for testing. The testing is slow and takes time. I didn't realize dropping off samples required an appointment
How was your experience with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
I liked that he took the time to explain the results fully to me during the testing. My husband also felt comfortable with him. He was positive and easy to understand and trust. I had read reviews about the clinic that you don't ever see your doctor or talk to the doctor but that is not my experience.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
The testing will take awhile to time everything correctly.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility?
We went to an information session with where Dr. Brommer was the presenter. Since no one else showed up for the session, we pretty much had an individual tour of the facility and were able to get to know him prior to him being our doctor in a more casual setting. Through out testing and consultation I never felt like a number and he was there to see me during my visits, even called me with results after he had left for the day.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility.
My care coordinator was the person I talked to the most. She was wonderful and always available to answer any questions or send me a quick email in the portal. She helped me with scheduling all of the appointments and really made it easy.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is either really busy or they have limited slots for testing. The testing is slow and takes time. I didn't realize dropping off samples required an appointment so my husbands tests took longer to schedule and wait for the appointment than my test. I also did not like getting scolded by the blood draw staff member about not making an appointment due to it being a weekend. I followed the protocol and I felt like I was inconveniencing her by having her do her job.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Jason Bromer at Shady Grove Fertility.
The pre-screening tests were covered by my insurance (I did have to pay a few rather large co-pays). All other costs are out of pocket.
Jason Bromer
Frederick

2018 - 2020, Unsuccessful
Dr. Reh is very professional and sensitive to how emotionally fraught infertility treatment can be. She always treated us and our decisions with respect...I also appreciate that from the beginning she emphasized that my behavior or diet or supplement regimen was not contributing to my infertility. I was confident that she was trying the treatment that had the highest odds of success.
I think the [SGF] clinic’s strength is the shared risk program and the convenience of early morning monitoring which minimizes the interruption to your professional life. The biggest weakness would be the minimal contact with your doctor during the treatment cycle and discouraging of direct correspondence with your doctor...eSET is preferred but two embryos transferred due to multiple failed cycles.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Reh is very professional and sensitive to how emotionally fraught infertility treatment can be. She always treated us and our decisions with respect. She was understanding when we initially sought treatment at another clinic for financial reasons and also understood that finances affected other decisions like opting out of PGT-A testing. I also appreciate that from the beginning she emphasized that my behavior or diet or supplement regimen was not contributing to my infertility. I was confident that she was trying the treatment that had the highest odds of success.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don’t expect to be able to reach her directly. I have heard that other doctors in the practice are more accessible. She would call to give important results but otherwise all communication is through her nurse.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I appreciate that she expressed sincere sympathy with my failed cycles and I never felt like she forgot my treatment history when we spoke. Her tone always reflected the reality of the situation - that she was trying different protocols in hopes that it would make a difference but that I was a unique case that didn’t fit basic expected outcomes.
Describe the protocols Andrea Reh used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Lupron stop protocol yielded 1 abnormal embryo, antagonist with estrogen patch protocol yielded 1 embryo and miscarriage, micro lupron flare yielded 2 embryos and miscarriage. The goal with each was to increase my low number of mature eggs but changes in protocol did not yield a different outcome, despite trying different trigger times/types.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ashley)
Ashley was very responsive on the portal which I really appreciated. I was often at work where I had little privacy so I appreciated that I could discreetly get the information I needed in a timely way. I always felt like she was in my corner.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I think the clinic’s strength is the shared risk program and the convenience of early morning monitoring which minimizes the interruption to your professional life. The biggest weakness would be the minimal contact with your doctor during the treatment cycle and discouraging of direct correspondence with your doctor.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility.
22,500 for shared risk plus cost of medication
Describe Andrea Reh's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
eSET is preferred but two embryos transferred due to multiple failed cycles.

2018 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Doyle is the kind of doctor that feels like family. He cares about you and your well-being. He is very interested in achieving a healthy pregnancy while keeping you healthy as well...[he] takes the time to call me personally on occasions that require more detailed information or when he may feel I may need some more support. He checks in and he cares about not just the physical but the emotional affect of this process
[Our Shady Grove Fertility] Nurse is compassionate and kind. She has a hard job. She has to deliver results and then tell us the next steps at a very sensitive time. She is attentive and keeps in contact. She is helpful in every way...The clinic environment is welcoming, clean and feels safe. There is a very peaceful and calming energy in the clinic...
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle is the kind of doctor that feels like family. He cares about you and your well-being. He is very interested in achieving a healthy pregnancy while keeping you healthy as well. He is upfront and honest. Dr. Doyle is gentle and understanding how difficult this process can be. He is very attentive. I have had to have multiple surgeries but I have always felt safe because of Dr. Doyle. I trust him with my body and my future family.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Be honest with Dr. Doyle. He will listen to you and understand. He will create a plan that will be in your best interest. If you need to talk to him, call him. He may not be available at the time but he WILL call you back...even if it is late at night. He is committed.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle takes the time to call me personally on occasions that require more detailed information or when he may feel I may need some more support. He checks in and he cares about not just the physical but the emotional affect of this process. I have walked into the office feeling really sad about not testing positive and he took the time to speak with me, even on a very busy day. He is kind and caring. He is attentive and he makes me feel that he really wants me to have a positive outcome.
Describe the protocols Joseph Doyle used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I had a surgery to unblock one of my tubes. I have been on clomid, injections and the trigger shot. I then had 6 IUIs thus far with donor sperm.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Alexa)
Nurse Alexa is compassionate and kind. She has a hard job. She has to deliver results and then tell us the next steps at a very sensitive time. She is attentive and keeps in contact. She is helpful in every way.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic environment is welcoming, clean and feels safe. There is a very peaceful and calming energy in the clinic. They are helpful and kind. They always work to fit you in on 'surprise' appointment needs.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility.
IUI is a few thousand and IVF is about 10 thousand.
Rockville

Dr. Widra was always pleasant, kind and compassionate, and every appointment I had with him felt judgement-free...I am a single mother by choice. My fertility numbers were good enough to start with an unmedicated IUI...I had one IUI that didn't take...I have since changed course because of my desire to have multiple children so I will be undergoing egg freezing...[he] immediately set a new protocol in action to determine the best course of action for my changed goals
I am a single mother by choice. this is an important detail because I felt accepted at my clinic [Shady Grove Fertility] and did not feel any judgement about my choices...I think the online portal can be a bit frustrating to navigate...I was assigned to a clinical care team. Initially I was assigned one nurse, the the clinic I'm at changed that to assign patients to a few nurses per patient. I communicate with the nurses mainly through an online portal, but can schedule a call with one of them if needed
How was your experience with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra was always pleasant, kind and compassionate, and every appointment I had with him felt judgement-free. I felt like Dr. Widra cared about my well-being and truly wanted to help me reach my fertility goals. I communicate in a very matter-of-fact fashion, and Dr. Widra was able to take my fertility vision and put it into a medical protocol that made sense to me and was appropriate for me.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Just be yourself and be honest with your goals.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Widra always treated me with respect and kindness, and showed genuine interest in helping me achieve my fertility goals. Dr. Widra clearly understood my requests and communicated clearly and logically about my treatment protocol.
Describe the protocols Eric Widra used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
I am a single mother by choice. My fertility numbers were good enough to start with an unmedicated IUI, so that's what we did. I had one IUI that didn't take (not uncommon). I have since changed course because of my desire to have multiple children so I will be undergoing egg freezing. Dr. Widra was very open to this and immediately set a new protocol in action to determine the best course of action for my changed goals.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
I was assigned to a clinical care team. Initially I was assigned one nurse, the the clinic I'm at changed that to assign patients to a few nurses per patient. I communicate with the nurses mainly through an online portal, but can schedule a call with one of them if needed.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I am a single mother by choice. this is an important detail because I felt accepted at my clinic and did not feel any judgement about my choices. I got linked up with a support group for other single mothers by choice, which has been super helpful and supportive. I think the online portal can be a bit frustrating to navigate. It's nice to talk to a human every now and again, so that is something that can be a bit of a pain, but not a big deal. Overall, I am happy with my clinic. I went to another clinic before this one, and the doctor I saw had unpleasant bedside manner, and I felt like I was being judged by her. So I was very pleased to find my current clinic, which basically had open arms towards me and my fertility goals.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Eric Widra at Shady Grove Fertility.
My insurance covered a lot of it, so fortunately I haven't paid a whole lot. I've only gotten one IUI done thus far though, so my costs will increase as I have more fertility treatments.
Describe Eric Widra's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Eric Widra

2015 - 2020, Unsuccessful
1 Egg Freezing (cancer)
Cancer
Dr. Devine takes a very empathetic, yet straightforward, approach. We appreciate that she always takes the time to walk through the statistics and doesn't try to sugar coat them, yet she is also very sensitive to the needs and stresses that her patients are going through....we have truly appreciated how Dr. Devine never tires of our questions...Dr. Devine was with us through each step
In addition to the doctors and nurses, who are extremely competent and compassionate, SGF offers infertility workshops and support groups, which we have found to be very helpful in our journey...financial services department is likely overstretched and does not operate with quite the same responsiveness as the medical team...The nurses at Shady Grove now operate as a team.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I have been a patient of Dr. Devine's for several years. First, in my late 30s I was diagnosed with an early stage breast cancer. I saw Dr. Devine to undergo a round of egg freezing before beginning a long-term medication to prevent a recurrence. I had a successful round of egg freezing at that time. Several years later I returned to Dr. Devine with my husband to thaw and inseminate the eggs. At the time of our consultation, Dr. Devine presented us with the most recent statistics on egg freezing and let us know that our prospects of a successful pregnancy with the frozen eggs were only just above 50%. Although this was disappointing news, we truly appreciated Dr. Devine's ability to be direct, honest, and clear about our chances, while remaining compassionate and cautiously optimistic. Unfortunately, this set of eggs did not result in viable embryos for transfer. My husband and I then decided to proceed with a new round of IVF. Again, Dr. Devine took the time to walk us through the statistics and provide us with guidance. Ultimately, this round of IVF did not result in embryos for transfer, but Dr. Devine was with us through each step. She took the time to personally call us as results were coming in about the growth of our embryos and discuss what this would mean for our future options. In particular, we have truly appreciated how Dr. Devine never tires of our questions (sometimes with both my husband and I on the phone line) and always takes the time to provide detailed answers. We had planned to continue to the next step in our fertility treatment with Dr. Devine until we were interrupted by the novel coronavirus pandemic.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
You should know that you are in extremely good and capable hands with Dr. Devine. She is not "selling" fertility treatment to you. She wants you to have the agency to make choices with her guidance. This means that she has a very science-based approach - meaning to say, she is personable and has a good sense of humor, etc. but she will ensure that you know the facts and chances you are dealing with, even if they are uncomfortable to hear. Given how much financial and emotional capital you are about to spend, that kind of no-nonsense honest approach is extremely important.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Describe the protocols Kate Devine used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Femara, Gonal-F/Menopur, Cetrotide
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey)
The nurses at Shady Grove now operate as a team. Our care coordinators alternate between Kelsey, Toyin, and Candace. We have found each of them to be extremely competent and responsive. That said, their communication styles are somewhat different, but we have found that they operate seamlessly as a team.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
In addition to the doctors and nurses, who are extremely competent and compassionate, SGF offers infertility workshops and support groups, which we have found to be very helpful in our journey. The social worker who runs the K St. group is excellent. The financial services department is likely overstretched and does not operate with quite the same responsiveness as the medical team.
Monitoring appointments are pretty convenient. Although a time is set the day before with your nurse, I've found that earlier appointments require a lot less waiting then appointments in the later part of the morning.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility.
Costs at SGF are high. Unfortunately, we do not have any insurance coverage for fertility treatment so the expenses have been extraordinary.

2019 - 2020, 30 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Nair was direct and honest. Initial consult was very informative and she was incredibly positive at the idea of being a single mother by choice. She saw me in person when I started treatment and hormone levels were very elevated, she explained everything and I understood my process clearly. She called to deliver the final news as well for my successful treatment...She answered all of my questions, she was open about her availability and that she was in two different locations so I might need to travel to see her. She saw me in person as I started treatment when my hormone levels were elevated early. She called once my treatment was complete to deliver all of my final news and was very excited for our results.
Twice I wasn't informed of changes in my protocol [at Shady Grove Fertility] and needed to call the emergency line to know my dosage for that evening...Loved that it [monitoring] was very early morning. Basically walk in even though there are appointments, dependent upon how many people were there. Staff was friendly and moved as quickly as they could...The appointment system is pointless for walk in blood work and ultrasound, it didn't matter if you had an appointment or not, it was only dependent on how many people were there. Also, I needed to call the clinic at least twice for my nightly dosage because I didn't receive a note through the portal or a call. The emergency hotline is good and I used it a few times.
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
Understand that you will not be able to see the doctor every visit and that you are in good hands with the rest of the clinical staff.
Dr. Nair was professional, caring, honest and direct. She answered all of my questions, she was open about her availability and that she was in two different locations so I might need to travel to see her. She saw me in person as I started treatment when my hormone levels were elevated early. She called once my treatment was complete to deliver all of my final news and was very excited for our results.
Started with standard Gonal 112 and started Menopur 1 vial on day 4 perhaps? Needed to dial back the gonal down to eventually I think 25-50. I triggered a day earlier than anticipated. We didn't want to hormones to outpace the growth of the follicles.
Jenn was great and communicated through the patient portal. I asked a lot of questions and she was always able to get back to me within a day or point me in the right direction for who would have my answers. She was friendly and professional.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Loved that it was very early morning. Basically walk in even though there are appointments, dependent upon how many people were there. Staff was friendly and moved as quickly as they could.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Initial lab work had the results sent to the clinic but didn't hear anything back to confirm is they were good or not. Wrote nurse in portal and said everything looks good, would have told you if it was otherwise. I thought regardless, I shouldn't have to ask if results were good. Twice I wasn't informed of changes in my protocol and needed to call the emergency line to know my dosage for that evening.

2020, Consult
Investor
Dr Moon was great for the initial consult and we came to her from a recommendation. We never saw her again. She was thorough and explained things fine, but she felt more like a salesperson given that she never performed any medical operations...She allowed multiple embryo transfer but advised us against it...The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us.
We had our initial consult with Dr Moon [at Shady Grove Fertility], but we never saw her again. The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us...The doctors don't really matter in the end, you only deal with the clinical and administrative staff...The nurse and care coordinator do not respond to messages, would not answer questions in any way that would provide a real answer, and also do not read your chart prior to speaking with you. They asked our egg donor right before she was going under for the egg retrieval how many eggs she was keeping FOR HERSELF. She advised that she was DONATING them, but they asked her multiple times if she was keeping any for herself. We used a known egg donor, and we had to explain the situation thousands of times to everyone we spoke to. They also treated the partner (me) who was not donating sperm as not involved in the process at all, despite the fact that I coordinated all of the care.
How was your experience with Kimberly Moon at Shady Grove Fertility?
Don't bother with Shady Grove - they are terrible. The doctors don't really matter in the end, you only deal with the clinical and administrative staff.
We had our initial consult with Dr Moon, but we never saw her again. The egg retrieval was performed by a different doctor. We mostly dealt with inept clinical and administrative staff that would not read our charts prior to speaking with us.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Doris Thomas)
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The clinic is terrible. It is a premium service where they treat you like garbage. They are disorganized. We got passed around to multiple coordinators and they forgot to tell us. The process is stressful and expensive and Shady Grove makes you feel like a dollar sign without providing any sort of premium service at all. The facilities are nice and we had a good medical outcome, but the process to get there was miserable.
$19k for egg retrieval $8k for drugs $1,500 for required social work $1,000 for genetic counseling $3,000 for miscellaneous fees
She allowed multiple embryo transfer but advised us against it.
How competent was Shady Grove Fertility at LGBTQ care?
They were OK with LGBTQ. We used a known egg donor who was related to me and used my (male) partner's sperm. I was often not included in things because I had no medical interaction, but I coordinated all of the care. They never bother to read your chart, so you have to explain every time you speak with someone what the situation is, which can be uncomfortable. They never were discriminatory, but they were far from thoughtful.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
They never return your call, they do not read your chart, they switched our clinical coordinator without telling us, they failed to keep us updated on the results of the biopsy, and they asked our egg donor if she wanted to keep eggs for herself. They also would not show our egg donor how to do the shots, would not even help her with the first round. They also made us order a full batch of drugs and then only used 1/4 of them, so we had to pay $8k and only used $2k worth of drugs.

2020, Unsuccessful
[Dr. Anitha Nair] was nice, but we only interacted with her twice during seven months of treatment, once at the consult, and once in a video appointment after our first few rounds of treatment failed. She was very optimistic, which when everything failed made us feel like the optimism was unrealistic...In six of the cycles we did IUIs, all failed.
The nurses and staff [at Shady Grove Fertility] were very nice, communication through the portal was responsive...we only spoke to the doctor once after the initial consultation. It was a lonely, impersonal, and disappointing process for the most part, and there didn’t seem to be much available in the way of support groups or other support resources
How was your experience with Anitha Nair at Shady Grove Fertility?
She was nice, but we only interacted with her twice during seven months of treatment, once at the consult, and once in a video appointment after our first few rounds of treatment failed. She was very optimistic, which when everything failed made us feel like the optimism was unrealistic.
Insist on a frank and realistic explanation of your chances of success.
Over about seven months of treatment we only spoke to the doctor once after the initial consultation. After the first few cycles failed, we had to wait a couple weeks but eventually had a video appointment with the doctor, and she was nice. We decided to do a few more cycles of treatment, which all failed as well. It was a lonely, impersonal, and disappointing process for the most part, and there didn’t seem to be much available in the way of support groups or other support resources. The nurse sent an encouraging message before a procedures once during six cycles of treatment, otherwise we just showed up for appointments, and staff were nice and efficient but it was impersonal. After our last treatment failed, that was it, there were no condolences and no follow-up, except of course for billing.
We did seven Clomid cycles, adding Gonal F after the first few failed, but it did not help the number of follicles. In six of the cycles we did IUIs, all failed.
Describe your experience with the nursing staff at Shady Grove Fertility.
They nursing staff were nice and efficient. Once I got incorrect instructions over the phone, but had the written protocol and was able to conform the correct instructions. Once the nurse for my case helped make sure I was able to get medication when it was added to my protocol on short notice, which I appreciated even though it was out of pocket.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The nurses and staff were very nice, communication through the portal was responsive. Our non-IVF treatment was not successful, and when our first few cycles failed there seemed to be an expectation that we would continue to IVF, even though it wasn’t a good option for us. Over about seven months of treatment we only spoke to the doctor once after the initial consultation. It was a lonely, impersonal, and disappointing process for the most part, and there didn’t seem to be much available in the way of support groups or other support resources.
My insurance covered half of most costs. It added up to thousands of dollars out of pocket. Our treatment failed, but we’re still getting bills for $100 here and $130 there, and those will continue for months as they work through it with our insurance. The bills are depressing reminders of the failed treatment.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Once I was given incorrect information about when to take my medication. I was given a written protocol with the correct information and was able to confirm the correct information through the message system.

2018 - 2020, Successful
She strongly encouraged us to transfer one embryo at a time, citing the risks of twin pregnancies and preferring to give each tested embryo its best chance at survival...[Dr. Devine] is a researcher at her core--something we have both respected and appreciated throughout this process. She is consistent in her approach: compassionate, particularly during our repeated losses, and at the same time straightforward. She was also always available for a call
I preferred the more patient-centered, primary nursing approach to the [Shady Grove Fertility] Team-based approach and found this shift alternatively disappointing and frustrating...You can get a same-day appointment if you need to. It's also nice to have a one-stop-shop--they were managing my thyroid meds, providing surgical treatments (e.g., my hysteroscopy) and holding my hand throughout my treatments, pregnancies and miscarriages.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
I will start this by saying that I have had a long and traumatic journey to get to my SGF graduation--I was a patient for over two years and suffered two miscarriages, a corneal ectopic pregnancy, and at least six negative pregnancy tests. And with every setback, Dr. Devine was sympathetic, encouraging, and confident that we would achieve success. And while I'm not sure when I'll stop holding my breath, I can close my eyes as I write this and hear the rhythmic thudding of my baby's heartbeat on the ultrasound machine. I am also trained as a psychologist and understand the value of evidence-based treatment; my husband is an attorney and finds solace in rules, numbers and facts. Dr. Devine is a researcher at her core--something we have both respected and appreciated throughout this process. She is consistent in her approach: compassionate, particularly during our repeated losses, and at the same time straightforward. She was also always available for a call (or, since COVID, a video call). I never felt like she was being anything less than honest with me. No upselling, no B-S. And when I wanted to explore my options, she was responsive--balancing her clinical opinion with a willingness to try it my way, if that's really what I wanted to do. For example, when I wanted to explore transferring two embryos, she shared with me the statistics (Yes, it would increase the probability of a live birth, but the probability a live birth per embryo was drastically lower.) and her clinical reasons for preferring singleton pregnancies, particularly for women with my BMI. We also explored the research on using more Progesterone (PIO) prior to/during transfer; Adding Prednisone and/or Lovenox to my transfer protocol (which may have been the magic bullet); and the risks of PGS testing on an embryo's viability. We were excited to say goodbye to Dr. Devine as we 'graduated' to an obstetrician--not because she wasn't a great doctor, but because we are elated to FINALLY be closing a door on what has been a painfully long chapter in our lives and marriage. Should fertility continue to be an obstacle (which I expect it will), we plan to return to Dr. Devine for any/all attempts at future siblings for baby M.
Do not be afraid to ask for her time and come to the appointment armed with questions. She will take her time to answer all of them.
Dr. Devine is very results-, data-driven, but I really appreciate that about her. At the same time, I felt she has been truly involved and invested in our journey and has been cheering us on throughout all of our trials and tribulations.
IUI #1 - Clomid - Cancelled due to over-response IUI #2 - Femera + Estrace (lining support) - Not pregnant IUI #3 - Femera + Menopur (1/2 vial) - Not pregnant IUI #4 - Femera - Not pregnant IUI #5 - Femera - Not pregnant IUI #6 - Femera + Menopur (1/2 vial) - Not pregnant IVF Retrieval #1-3 - Follistim, Menopur, Gannirelix, Lupron, Zithromax --all produced 12-16 eggs; 6-8 embryos, 2-4 PGS-normal embroys FET #1 - Estrace (2mg) 3x/daily + PIO (50mg) - Miscarriage at 6 weeks FET #2 - Estrace (2mg) 3x/daily + PIO (50mg) - Corneal ectopic FET #3 - Estrace (2mg) 3x/daily + PIO (50mg) - Miscarriage at 5.5 weeks FET #4 - Estrace (2mg) 3x/daily + PIO (100mg) *for implantation support* + Baby asprin + Prednisone (7.5mg) *for implantion support / immunosuppression* - Not pregnant FET #5 - Estrace (2mg) 3x/daily + PIO (50mg) + Baby asprin + Prednisone (7.5mg) + Lovenox *for implantation support* - Currently Pregnant
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Kelsey Weigel, BSN, RN)
Kelsey was my rock throughout this process. Unfortuantely, SGF's K Street Office changed to a Nursing Team halfway through my treatment, which meant that I stopped hearing from Kelsey primarily. While every other nurse I interacted with was highly professional, competent, and responsive, my case got complicated and Kelsey seemed to know me and my particulars best. I preferred the more patient-centered, primary nursing approach to the Team-based approach and found this shift alternatively disappointing and frustrating.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Even internally, SGF will joke that it's a 'factory.' There are good things about being at a factory though -- you never have to wait long to be seen or have someone call you back. You can get a same-day appointment if you need to. It's also nice to have a one-stop-shop--they were managing my thyroid meds, providing surgical treatments (e.g., my hysteroscopy) and holding my hand throughout my treatments, pregnancies and miscarriages.
I have amazing insurance. The vast majority of my costs have been for co-pays, embryo testing, and cryopreservation.
Describe Kate Devine's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.

2020, 13 Eggs Frozen
Dr. Devine is also the head of research at Shady Grove so she knows ALL the data...Any clinical questions that had to go to her were usually answered within a matter of a few hours, shorter if urgent. She also encouraged me to continue taking my mental health scripts which was a huge relief...She remembered even the smallest details related to my ‘case’. She never seemed in a rush and took incredible care to answer all my questions
Despite being rotational, which actually means you can always reach someone, [the nurses at Shady Grove Fertility] were all totally up to speed on my case and seemed completely apprised and like my case mattered to them...I wish the messages in portal system was better; you can’t see the thread when writing a message...Insurance covered injections in DC! (Blue cross..Id called and they even said no. But my nurses must’ve done something... I paid less than $200 in co-pays for allllll my meds.)......I wish the nursing line would ring to a human. You have to leave a voicemail
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine is also the head of research at Shady Grove so she knows ALL the data. Bring up a random supplement, and she can tell you ‘oh that was shown in one clinical trial to do XYZ’. I appreciate that rather than doctors shooting from the hip. She’s extremely current on national research, as well, so isn’t just working from a MD she got 20 years ago. She also predicted *exactly* the number of eggs I would get, based on this research! Dr. Devine took nearly an hour with me each time we met and never hurried me. She listened thoughtfully to my questions and adjusted my treatment plan as necessarily. I had a SUPER easy process all around. No post-op recovery besides laying low one day. No bonkers hormones, etc. Throughout the process, she set good healthy expectations so I wasn’t surprised by any of it or the results despite being completely new to this. I had been told several times she would be completely honest with me and she really was. Honest but compassionate - I think that’s the best kind of bedside manner. Any clinical questions that had to go to her were usually answered within a matter of a few hours, shorter if urgent. She also encouraged me to continue taking my mental health scripts which was a huge relief. If you want to go to someone who’s truly a subject matter expert and has likely read (and even conducted!) the most research on everything from typical egg freezing or IVF to breaking research on something relatively obscure that might relate to your situation, pick Dr. Devine. I think we underestimate the importance of being really curious and well-educated but in a field that is evolving daily, this would be crucial. Friends of mine across the country have had difficult IVF processes and I wish they were in DC and could see Dr. Devine. She would be real with them and would probably be MOST aware, of all the doctors in this space, if there was emerging data on something impacting their situation.
I believe she’s also a professor. I learned SO much about the human body in the process because I spent time researching myself in advance. Then I felt like when we met, I would get a personalized tutorial that helped things click. To make the most of your one on ones, come with questions and don’t be shy. She was happy to answer all mine and is fantastic at it.
She remembered even the smallest details related to my ‘case’. She never seemed in a rush and took incredible care to answer all my questions. Her team was exactly the same.
Estrogen priming protocol with patches and cetrotide a few days before my period. Then stims which included gonal-f and menopur. Cetrotide halfway through followed by lupron trigger. (Btw If you’d told me 6 months ago, I’d be rattling these off easily, I would’ve been shocked!! Haha)
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Vanessa)
Ahhhh I truly adore Vanessa. And Toyin! Really the whole team but I spent the most time talking to Vanessa. Despite being rotational, which actually means you can always reach someone, they were all totally up to speed on my case and seemed completely apprised and like my case mattered to them. Awesome, helpful, knowledgeable and compassionate.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I wish the nursing line would ring to a human. You have to leave a voicemail. They do call you back in 30 minutes but answering the phone would be helpful. The clinic itself re scheduling and appts is a truly well-oiled machine. I wish the messages in portal system was better; you can’t see the thread when writing a message - so say your nurse writes some questions and you click reply to respond. They disappear. On a separate topic, do you hate bloodwork? Me too. It’s my Mt Everest. I came to love the women in the bloodwork room. Damn. They knew exactly what I needed to make it less daunting and painful. I really felt like they were cheering me on. Alexis in particular is just incredible.
$7,500 for one retrieval cycle which seemed to include nearly everything. Insurance covered injections in DC! (Blue cross! Can you imagine?! I was shocked. If you live in DC with BC, use CVS specialty pharmacy and see if it works. Could be because I was 39 when I did it so geriatric in BC minds 😉 Id called and they even said no. But my nurses must’ve done something... I paid less than $200 in co-pays for allllll my meds.)
Washington DC

I have a history of sexual trauma and Dr. Devine was very sensitive to that history. She did everything she could to minimize triggers and adapted procedures in order to make me feel comfortable...Dr. Devine was very warm, but also straightforward. She actually listened to how my past experiences had shaped my anxiety about treatment and made adjustments to accommodate me. To the extent that was possible, she had her staff schedule my appointments for when she was on the monitoring floor and she came to my monitoring ultrasound appointments.
This location [Shady Grove Fertility] is in the middle of downtown DC and parking was always a challenge. It was difficult to find metered street parking, and garage parking was $22 per day, which could add up when you have to go in for daily monitoring. The waiting room is very busy for the morning monitoring appointments and sometimes the wait was up to 45-50 minutes past the appointment time.
How was your experience with Kate Devine at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Devine was very warm, but also straightforward. She actually listened to how my past experiences had shaped my anxiety about treatment and made adjustments to accommodate me. To the extent that was possible, she had her staff schedule my appointments for when she was on the monitoring floor and she came to my monitoring ultrasound appointments. She was warm and reassuring and made me feel confident in her decisions as a provider.
Be very honest about any of your treatment concerns with her.
My diagnosis was an anovulation due to PCOS. Dr. Device prescribed 7.5 mg letrozole taken on days 3-7 with follicle monitoring starting on day 11. When the follicle was mature, she had me do an Ovidrel trigger shot followed by timed intercourse, and then progesterone suppositories for the remainder of the cycle. She was able to successfully induce ovulation three times and I got pregnant on the third month.
Dr. Devine's nursing team were very responsive to all of my messages. I didn't interact with them much in person, but they were friendly over the phone. The medical assistants that I encountered every morning for monitoring appointments left much to be desired. They never read my chart, which specifically said that I was only to have transabdominal ultrasounds, and they routinely argued with me when I told them I did not need to get undressed for the ultrasound. They were often rude when I declined to get undressed, and multiple times I could hear them standing on the other side of the door telling the doctor/ultrasound tech that I "wasn't cooperating." My history of sexual trauma was written as a warning in my chart as was a very clear "TAUS only" warning.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
This location is in the middle of downtown DC and parking was always a challenge. It was difficult to find metered street parking, and garage parking was $22 per day, which could add up when you have to go in for daily monitoring. The waiting room is very busy for the morning monitoring appointments and sometimes the wait was up to 45-50 minutes past the appointment time.
My insurance covered only 50%, so every single monitoring appointment was approximately $115 out of pocket, and there are a lot of monitoring appointments.
N/A - I did not do IVF
2019 - 2020, Consult
Dr. Doyle is very friendly and jovial and understands tbis field very well. He is not great an explanations with granularity, and kind of waves questions away. He is obviously bright, but the lack of explanations makes the interactio feel like he is dismissive of concerns and can't wait to get to the rest of his calendar...If you have a lot of questions or disagree, he's not going to adjust to you.
SGF is huge and has lots of resources. However there is no coordination to get information to the patient. You have to do it yourself. There is lots on their website - peruse it closely and ask questions. No one will tell you what you need to know, you need to get all the info for yourself. Everyone who works there seems fine but they won't advocate for you if you don't!!! It's on you.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
I have not had a chance to do the prescribed treatments with Dr. Doyle yet, but it seemed clear we will not have a lot of opportunities for further interaction unless somethingdoes not go right. He is young, smart and friendly. I definitely got the feeling that he knows his stuff. He diagnosed an issue for me that others didn't. On the other hand, he was obviously touchy when pressed for additional details and further information about why a certain treatment was indicated or not. He joked about it but clearly did not like it. So if you like what he proposed, and trust him - go with it. If you have a lot of questions or disagree, he's not going to adjust to you.
Advocste for yourself with SGF and your nurses.
Did not start treatment yet. Will begin with IUIs before progressing to IVF.
Nurses seem to switch off. They ate very responsive over the patient portal. No one provided any advice about how to get medication in the cheapest way or the timeliest way. I had tonfigure it out for myself and find the cheapest pharmacies and request that it gets called in.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Consultations were covered by insurance as was most testing (some semen analyses were out of pocket to the tube of $150 per). IUI will be abour $450 out of pocket after insurance, and simplest medications about $150 per cycle.
Describe Joseph Doyle's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
Clearly concerned about multiples.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
Information was lost when my obgyn faxed it over. I had to collect it myself and bring it over. I was not informed that my cycle would be cancelled because of COVID 19, I had to find out for myself when I called to schedule. Billing people did not know the CPT code for a test that my insurance covered and claimed it had to be paid out of pocket. I had to get the CPT code from my insurance company and provide it to billers.
Rockville
Dr. Doyle is very soft-spoken and gentle...explains things clearly and directly...warm and compassionate, and he set my mind at ease going into my treatment. I felt confident that he would be able to handle anything that arose during my treatment...protocol was decided on based on my age, and previous treatments I had done at other fertility clinics. 20 eggs were retreived...never once doubted that my embryos were in the best hands!
Dr. Doyle and his staff at Shady Grove - Rockville, MD are the perfect blend of compassion and professionalism. Although they run a huge operation, I always felt taken care of and had my questions and concerns addressed right away...up-to-date on all of the latest and best research, procedures, treatments, labs, facilities...willing to work with me in offering options related to billing, payment, etc.
How was your experience with Joseph Doyle at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Doyle is very soft-spoken and gentle. He explains things clearly and directly, and is clearly extremely knowledgeable, but he does so in a way that lay people can understand what he is saying. He is very warm and compassionate, and he set my mind at ease going into my treatment. I felt confident that he would be able to handle anything that arose during my treatment.
Fertility treatment is not something you should attempt to do halfway... At the beginning of my treatment, I was focused on finding a doctor or clinic that was the cheapest or quickest. I wish that I would have reached out to Shady Grove and Dr. Doyle sooner, because I could have spared myself a lot of money, pain, and time.
I did a standard IVF retrieval protocol, using follistim and menopur and a lupron trigger. The protocol was decided on based on my age, and previous treatments I had done at other fertility clinics. 20 eggs were retreived.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Effie Ifrat)
I CANNOT say enough good things about the nursing staff and care team at Shady Grove-Rockville, particularly Effie Inbar. They truly go above and beyond for you, and really care about your success. Their communication, expertise, professionalism, etc. was top-notch.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove is a huge fertility clinic with multiple locations along the Southeast. Despite being such a large operation with hundreds of doctors, nurses, patients, etc. I never felt like I was in a factory. All of the doctors, nurses and staff act with the utmost professionalism at all times, and are extremely communicative and prompt with everything. Actually, the fact that they are so large and well-known in the fertility world gave me a lot of peace of mind. They recruit the best doctors, and are up-to-date on all of the latest and best research, procedures, treatments, labs, facilities, etc. I never once doubted that my embryos were in the best hands!
I was an out-of-state patient at this clinic, so I had my monitoring appts. done at a different clinic off-site.
My treatment was financed through a third party company, as my health insurance does not cover ANYTHING related to infertility. I will say that I thought that the cost of treatment at Shady Grove-Rockville was comparable to what a similar treatment cycle would cost at other fertility clinics. But Shady Grove was much more willing to work with me in offering options related to billing, payment, etc.
Dr. Doyle and Shady Grove do counsel patients to use eSET when the patient's age and statistical treatment outcome call for it, however, they ultimately allow the patients to make their own choice in how many embryos to transfer. I appreciated the fact that they allow you to make the choice for your own embryos. Some clinics take that choice away from you.

2017 - 2020, Unknown Success
Dr. Mottla always made me feel hopeful and had excellent bedside manner. He is patient and even came to a different office location to perform one of my procedures himself. I would recommend him to anyone...thoughtful approach to infertility...truly cares about his patients...
The staff at the [at Shady Grove Fertility] clinic became like family to me. They are truly invested in you as a person. The only difficulty I ever had was waiting months to get my initial appointment and with the financial department. But the staff working at this location were caring and beyond helpful...The nursing staff is great...Only once my medication was not called in properly but the clinic was able to give me samples they had so it didn’t affect my treatment at all.
How was your experience with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Mottla always made me feel hopeful and had excellent bedside manner. He is patient and even came to a different office location to perform one of my procedures himself. I would recommend him to anyone. Even though we haven’t been successful yet, I would still recommend him and his thoughtful approach to infertility.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
He’s a great doctor so just be prepared to wait to become one of his patients.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility?
I felt like a human because he was always there for me to answer questions and he was always looking for answers. He even pulled me aside during morning monitoring to check up on me and when we received negative results he cared enough to call and encourage us. He has excellent bedside manner and he truly cares about his patients.
Describe the protocols Gilbert Mottla used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
One thing I remember is that he prefers estrogen and progesterone shots for frozen cycles and not the oral medication or suppositories.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Ann)
The nursing staff is great.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
The staff at the clinic became like family to me. They are truly invested in you as a person. The only difficulty I ever had was waiting months to get my initial appointment and with the financial department. But the staff working at this location were caring and beyond helpful.
Describe the costs associated with your care under Gilbert Mottla at Shady Grove Fertility.
I don’t remember exactly.
Describe Gilbert Mottla's approach to eSET (elective single embryo transfer) vs. multiple embryo transfer at Shady Grove Fertility.
We were allowed to transfer multiple embryos after transferring singles the first two times.
Gilbert Mottla
Annapolis

Over several cycles, we had to do two rounds of medication. Dr. Roth used this information to increase the dosage for the following rounds...took the time to explain the process and get to know us on a personal level... When delivering the news that I would have to lose weight before proceeding, she wasn't especially compassionate or helpful, which was disappointing...She had a positive outlook on the process and didn't make us feel like anything was our fault
There were times [at Shady Grove Fertility] when information wasn't relayed quick enough or was incorrect based on previous conversations...Shady Grove does have a BMI limit for some procedures...They are a well-oiled machine. Because they have so many locations and staff, they have lots of availability for testing, which is super convenient. You do sometimes feel like just a number, but the efficiency makes up for it...We did four rounds of timed intercourse. I took letrozole to encourage ovulation. Over several cycles, we had to do two rounds of medication. Dr. Roth used this information to increase the dosage for the following rounds.
How was your experience with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Roth was understanding and took the time to answer questions and get to know us on a personal level. She had a positive outlook on the process and didn't make us feel like anything was our fault. Shady Grove does have a BMI limit for some procedures though, which unfortunately applies to us. When delivering the news that I would have to lose weight before proceeding, she wasn't especially compassionate or helpful, which was disappointing.
What's one piece of advice would you give a prospective patient of Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Ask lots of questions.
During treatment, were you treated like a number or a human with Lauren Roth at Shady Grove Fertility?
Dr. Roth took the time to explain the process and get to know us on a personal level. However, it was sometimes hard to not feel like a number at Shady Grove as a whole. It's run like a baby-factory - which is good and bad. They're good at what they do and provide lots of availability for testing.
Describe the protocols Lauren Roth used in your cycles at Shady Grove Fertility and their degree of success.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Holly)
They were thorough and answered all the questions I had.
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
Shady Grove Fertility knows what they are doing. They are a well-oiled machine. Because they have so many locations and staff, they have lots of availability for testing, which is super convenient. You do sometimes feel like just a number, but the efficiency makes up for it.
Describe the specific things that went wrong at Shady Grove Fertility.
There were times when information wasn't relayed quick enough or was incorrect based on previous conversations.
Lauren Roth

2019 - 2020, 23 Eggs Frozen
The protocol [from Dr. Andrea Reh] was perfect for me. I had no side effects and was happy with the results...I became very close with DR. Reh. She was very supportive throughout the whole process...I am 38 years old...I had been thinking about egg freezing for about a year and had a lot of doubts about the whole process...She sat with me and explained the process, my initial test results as well as the options I had. The protocol she created for me worked perfectly. I did not have any side effects from the medication and was able to get more eggs than the initial estimate from my pre-evaluation exam. I went through two cycles and both times Dr Reh performed a painless egg retrieval. I was fully recovered next day. She was very supportive duri
The protocol [at Shady Grove Fertility] was perfect for me. I had no side effects and was happy with the results...Christina [nurse] is amazing! I never had to wait for more than 30 minute to hear back from her( and I had a lot of questions). She is super supportive, helpful, professional and resourceful!... The waiting times were short and I got to know front desk staff and nurses who took my blood very well! Scheduling appointments was easy. Everyone was very helpful, professional and went out of the way to accommodate me.
How was your experience with Andrea Reh at Shady Grove Fertility?
I am 38 years old and was referred to Dr. Reh by my OBGYN . I had been thinking about egg freezing for about a year and had a lot of doubts about the whole process. I was very fortunate to become Dr. Reh’s patient. She sat with me and explained the process, my initial test results as well as the options I had. The protocol she created for me worked perfectly. I did not have any side effects from the medication and was able to get more eggs than the initial estimate from my pre-evaluation exam. I went through two cycles and both times Dr Reh performed a painless egg retrieval. I was fully recovered next day. She was very supportive during Corona 19 outbreak. I am very happy with the care and results I got. I highly recommend Dr. Reh!
It’s a long process that can get difficult but you are in really good hands!
The protocol was perfect for me. I had no side effects and was happy with the results.
Describe your experience with your nurse at Shady Grove Fertility. (Assigned nurse: Christina Brocato)
Christina is amazing! I never had to wait for more than 30 minute to hear back from her( and I had a lot of questions). She is super supportive, helpful, professional and resourceful!
Describe your experience with Shady Grove Fertility.
I am very happy I chose Arlington office. The waiting times were short and I got to know front desk staff and nurses who took my blood very well! Scheduling appointments was easy. Everyone was very helpful, professional and went out of the way to accommodate me.
I only paid for the program I signed for.